PDA

View Full Version : Neethane En Ponvasantham | Yeto Vellipoyindhi Manasu | Assi Nabbe Poorey Sau

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10

SVN
2nd September 2012, 07:21 PM
Why is Sony Music releasing the entire album and not just samples on Youtube as audio? Have they done this for other movies?

Gregorysab
2nd September 2012, 07:30 PM
This is not a review because I need more time to let this album sink in. Just initial observations after I heard the album few times. Thoughts below are as applicable to me:

1. Kaatre Konjum: The best composition of the album. Vintage raaja melody. Awesome orchestration. 1st interlude is a beautiful jazz piece. charanams have lot of juice. This is a classic.
2. ennodu Vaa: Brilliant again. Wonderful rendition by Karthik. Superb orchestration. Though I like the idea of going synth in 2nd half, it would have been much better if the synth sounds were more intricate/elaborate. Raaja has done lot of goose-bumpy synth work in the past and comparatively, the synth here is perfunctory. Nevertheless, the song is extremely hummable and melodious.
3. Vaanam: Beautiful melody! But i wish someone else sang this instead of Raaja. Nice orchestration. This song required some other warm voice than Raaja's.
4. Mudhal Murai: Unusual melody from Raaja's school of thought perspective. I felt tune does not have raaja stamp (not a complaint - happy that Raaja has given something different) but orchestration is Raaja's show again.
5. Satrru Munbu: Again, Raaja gets out of his comfort zone, tune-wise... but then the scale shifts indicate Raaja anyway. Orchestration raaja stamp again. This song is a proof that Raaja can still conjure contemporary melodies, leaving his individual mark on them.
6. Saindhu Saindhu: Good melody, but royally screwed by Yuvan's singing. I sense lot of apasruthi firstly (experts confirm plz). Also, why is yuvan trying to imitate a.r.rahman style of singing? But lovely charanams. Heard it only twice. Been fastforwarding the song the moment yuvan sings "adadaaa".
7. Pudikele Maamu: Spectacular prelude. Disappointing composition. Outstanding 1st interlude (is Raaja really 70?). Then the song goes downhill.
8. Pengal Yendral: Yuvan spoils the show again. But frankly, this time i was not impressed with the composition itself, other than edgy instrumentation.

Overall, there is a feeling of "orchestra dominating the vocals" because of heavy orchestral component in the songs. But thats ok. Although lot of people are comparing this album to some evergreen albums like Mouna Raagam, Agni Nakshatram, I beg to differ with them. This album works on many levels and fails to work in case of few songs. Compare it with Dhoni - all songs were just brilliant. That said, I wont say that NEPV is better than Dhoni or Vice-versa. Some of the songs are just too good. Raaja displays his command on the grammar very well, in songs like Kaatre Konjum. He tried to get out of his comfort zone and try new kind of tunes - which is good. Just that if those few flaws weren't there, this album would have become a masterpiece.

But then, whatever happened to that remix of "Neethane En Ponvasantham" that we all anticipated ;-)

Chelian
2nd September 2012, 08:47 PM
Whatta album!!!!!....Funtastic,,,on first hearing!

Nerd
2nd September 2012, 09:11 PM
Did anyone download NEPV from iTunes or Amazon.com in the US? Wanted to know about the quality of the mp3s.
iTunes 256kbps 44.1KHz. Not bad at all.

rajkumarc
2nd September 2012, 10:31 PM
iTunes 256kbps 44.1KHz. Not bad at all.

Thanks Nerd got it from iTunes eventually.

Nerd
2nd September 2012, 11:46 PM
6. vAnam mella - ippothaikku avlava pudikkala.. have to listen more..

You will apologize for this, very soon :lol:

writeface
2nd September 2012, 11:47 PM
Almost a perfect album considering Kaatrai konjam, mudhal murai, satru munbe and the awesome vaanam mella & ennodu vaa.
I wish he had avoided both songs sung by Yuvan. Particularly I don't care for Saaindu Saaindu. Puts me to sleep right away:). This kind of so-called melodies (with no edge or bite, sounding thin and fake) are so boring. Very unlikely IR tune.

kiru
3rd September 2012, 12:07 AM
3. Kaatrai konjam - again superb.. charanam'la than konjam naduvula adikadi vara oboe sound sync aagala..

Right.. same opinion here. Signed up for Spotify premium (better than free version in sound quality)..
Heavy use of orchestra in all or most songs.. (probably the most path-breaking album in popular indian (yes) film music history..
As mentioned here, tunes are not typical IR's. Some experimental..and bending and melding of various genres..
So I will not venture a opinion yet.. except vaanam mella seems to be the highest on melodic quotient to me..

MelHarmony
3rd September 2012, 12:08 AM
This is not a review because I need more time to let this album sink in. Just initial observations after I heard the album few times. Thoughts below are as applicable to me:

1. Kaatre Konjum: The best composition of the album. Vintage raaja melody. Awesome orchestration. 1st interlude is a beautiful jazz piece. charanams have lot of juice. This is a classic.
2. ennodu Vaa: Brilliant again. Wonderful rendition by Karthik. Superb orchestration. Though I like the idea of going synth in 2nd half, it would have been much better if the synth sounds were more intricate/elaborate. Raaja has done lot of goose-bumpy synth work in the past and comparatively, the synth here is perfunctory. Nevertheless, the song is extremely hummable and melodious.
3. Vaanam: Beautiful melody! But i wish someone else sang this instead of Raaja. Nice orchestration. This song required some other warm voice than Raaja's.
4. Mudhal Murai: Unusual melody from Raaja's school of thought perspective. I felt tune does not have raaja stamp (not a complaint - happy that Raaja has given something different) but orchestration is Raaja's show again.
5. Satrru Munbu: Again, Raaja gets out of his comfort zone, tune-wise... but then the scale shifts indicate Raaja anyway. Orchestration raaja stamp again. This song is a proof that Raaja can still conjure contemporary melodies, leaving his individual mark on them.
6. Saindhu Saindhu: Good melody, but royally screwed by Yuvan's singing. I sense lot of apasruthi firstly (experts confirm plz). Also, why is yuvan trying to imitate a.r.rahman style of singing? But lovely charanams. Heard it only twice. Been fastforwarding the song the moment yuvan sings "adadaaa".
7. Pudikele Maamu: Spectacular prelude. Disappointing composition. Outstanding 1st interlude (is Raaja really 70?). Then the song goes downhill.
8. Pengal Yendral: Yuvan spoils the show again. But frankly, this time i was not impressed with the composition itself, other than edgy instrumentation.

Overall, there is a feeling of "orchestra dominating the vocals" because of heavy orchestral component in the songs. But thats ok. Although lot of people are comparing this album to some evergreen albums like Mouna Raagam, Agni Nakshatram, I beg to differ with them. This album works on many levels and fails to work in case of few songs. Compare it with Dhoni - all songs were just brilliant. That said, I wont say that NEPV is better than Dhoni or Vice-versa. Some of the songs are just too good. Raaja displays his command on the grammar very well, in songs like Kaatre Konjum. He tried to get out of his comfort zone and try new kind of tunes - which is good. Just that if those few flaws weren't there, this album would have become a masterpiece.

But then, whatever happened to that remix of "Neethane En Ponvasantham" that we all anticipated ;-)

Ayyaaaaaa!
Thayavu panni dont post premature reviews. I am not offending anybody here!
This album is going to live forever!

I am seeing a great calm amidst so many instruments, which is the uniqueness about his music......

Sureshs65
3rd September 2012, 12:10 AM
I guess as Bala (K) remarked recently, everyone knows what I will say :lol:

Anyway, stuck with 'mudhal murai'. Can't get beyond it. One post coming up for this song alone tomorrow.

Glad that almost all the Raja veterans here are enjoying the album. So we can now claim our heart is still 'youthu' :lo: But definitely the man who composed this album is still a youthu ya.

Sureshs65
3rd September 2012, 12:18 AM
Never been a 'sound' person in the sense that I listen to music in every type of system and every type of headphone. I generally get the musical intent even when the 'sound' is bad. But for this album, even I would say that it is better that you hear it in high quality system and good headphones. As we were driving towards Chennai a friend handed his iphone in which he had the tunes. The whole thing was stunning but the lack of good sound separation was very apparent. The background was sounding 'noisy'. Now I hearing from CD with good headphones and the orchestration is mind boggling.

One more album, like Guru, which will not be heard often by me. For I will require all the concentration to be on the song only. No question of song playing in the background. Whenever I listen, nothing should disturb. I have only a few albums like that. This will definitely go into that list.

Gregorysab
3rd September 2012, 12:20 AM
Heard saindhu saindhu in telugu and I feel so relieved!!! The song automatically catapults into "Good" bracket once Shaan takes over!

Mudhal murai is a fantastic song! I couldnt instantly grasp it, but 2-3 listenings on... it totally took me. That interlude on electric violin is such a throwback!

While most songs do take their own positions - I confer "evergreen" status to Kaatre Konjum. (who the hell am i to confer, Raaja did those honours)

Gregorysab
3rd September 2012, 12:25 AM
Suresh,

Hear the songs in Bose earphones! Epic! As I am consolidating the thoughts on this album, I feel this is one album where Raaja must be extremely satisfied with the output sound. I am sure he must be craving to go to London again (dei producers! are you listening?). The way the string orchestra keeps the momentum in kaatre konjum - outstanding!

kiru
3rd September 2012, 12:28 AM
Never been a 'sound' person in the sense that I listen to music in every type of system and every type of headphone. I generally get the musical intent even when the 'sound' is bad. But for this album, even I would say that it is better that you hear it in high quality system and good headphones. ...
Second that..
Listeners - please listen to high-quality versions on good systems or headphones.. This album is a call out to the youth - to listen to the orchestra. And listening to the orchestra is a different ball game. Unlike the monophonic indian music it will take a while to "take" all the notes in ..
I have to listen more and share my opinions later..

writeface
3rd September 2012, 12:28 AM
Kiru, Spotify premium is really good. Have been on it for a year now. I was so surprised to find NEPV on it on the first day itself.

Gokul.

Sureshs65
3rd September 2012, 12:29 AM
The first two songs that made an impact on me immediately were 'mudhal murai' and 'satru munbu'. One for its passion, the other for the orchestration. I heard that 'satru munbu' will be the climax song. In the interview with Raja on Jaya TV, Gautam was saying that after hearing the richness of the song, he had to get the required seriousness for the climax. For what he had in mind seemed trivial after he heard the song!!! That is the power of Raja's music.

Sureshs65
3rd September 2012, 12:30 AM
kiru,

app, Nerd and writeface have given their views. Waiting for yours now.

Gregorysab
3rd September 2012, 12:36 AM
one point before I forget:

We all know or rather atleast some of us here believe that Raaja has grown or evolved from his 80s. his 90s were different and post 2000 to 2006/07 was different and till recently, the jazz oriented style has been different. But a lot of his fans dwell/praise his 80s. His interviews were also centered around his 80s songs mostly. Celebs too talk about his 80s songs only. and everyone (including those who love his new work too) sometime or the other wanted Raaja to go back to his 80s form atleast once or twice. But Raaja has been & is adamant about moving ahead and he did not want to bend back.

I think NEPV is the album in which he did go back slightly.. i think this is the maximum he is willing to bend back into 80s. There are traces of his 80s style in melody constructions but embellishments style is new raaja. And that too, he did it in contemporary fashion. I think milliblog Karthik summed up this thought of mine best - Neethaane En Ponvasandham is finally that soundtrack which overlaps Raja’s mind-bogglingly proficient earlier form over the best of his current form and resides in an enviable twilight zone. I absolutely agree with this.

Lets see if he bends back into 80s a bit more in... Gundello Godari :-)

Gregorysab
3rd September 2012, 12:38 AM
kiru,

app, Nerd and writeface have given their views. Waiting for yours now.

Wait for mine too :-) What I wrote is just short-hand notes while I was scratching the surface. Actual review in about 2 days after the album sinks in more.

Sureshs65
3rd September 2012, 01:18 AM
My friend Dilip posted a capture from his high quality system of 'Saindhu Saindhu'. How I wish I had a system like this. Though we are hearing the capture through the handycam, you can still 'feel' the richness in sound. Amazing, amazing stuff.

Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UslIHSObSg&feature=player_embedded#!

senthilv.com
3rd September 2012, 02:15 AM
Why is Sony Music releasing the entire album and not just samples on Youtube as audio? Have they done this for other movies?

All the songs are going to be uploaded on youtube anyway. This way at least you can have a control and target NEPV audience effectively for online and other promotions. Good counterattack.

Anyway, on multiple listening. I'm liking Pengal Yendral more and more. We shouldn't look for typical raja type melody. This is new and by design it is not supposed to be that kind of a melody. Pure Rock type stuff here.

1) Very apt beginning for the song. Like the beat. Opens heavy and quickly sets up the tone for the song. Also sets ups different electric guitar work that will be used/explored later in the song.
2) After the intro, when Yuvan returns and questions again (2nd time) Pengal Yendral Poiya Poithana? The electric guitar seems to screams back to him "Of course!!!" LOL. Pennin Kaathal Kannin Maithana?? Electric guitar "Of courses" again.
3) As Yuvan sings one more time "Pengal Yendral Poiya Poithana" The electric guitar poses the same question back.
4) "Pengalin Kaathalin Artham Ini, Mullin Mael Thungidum Pani Thuli" is laced with tender piano notes with touch of love. The piano idea revisits in the saranam.
5) "Kaalai Veyil Vanthaalae, Odi Pogum Thanaalae, Kaathal Varum Munnaalae.. Oh.. Oh.. Kanneer Varum Pinnale.. Oh. Oh.. " The heavy hearted electric guitar traces along Yuvan's singing beautifully and prepares for the landing of the next notes to follow.
6) Lands really well on -- Enna Solli Enna Penne Nenjam Oru Kaathaadi Thathi Thathi Unnidathil Thaavuthadi Koothaadi. Expresses Loss of control as if he is a puppet pulled by his girl's love. The instrumentation around these lines are great and finishes with cool drum ending.
7) Unable to wriggle out the love, the song comes back to main pallavi. Yuvan ends in high pitch as if summoning help from heaven to deal with pain.
8) Now introspection time for the character in the interlude. Needs a breather before getting back to heavy tone. Love the interlude. Nice electric guitar work and arrangement. Electric guitar ends on a heavy note and prepares for a heavy saranam to follow.
9) Piano layers in beginning of saranam brings vulnerable feeling that is still laced with love -- "Itharkuthaana Aasai VaiththaaiIthayam Kaetkuthey, valukkukaga Thudika Vaendaam
Endru Verukkuthey"
10) Moves to hopelessness with "Mathi Ketta Ennidam, Manam Nonthu Sonnathu, Maranaththai Pol Intha, Penn Ival Čndrathu". The instruments sympathizes and soothes him without losing the heavy feeling.
11) Next. "Theeyai Pondra Penn Ival endru Therinthu Kondathey En Manam". Evokes No-I-still-hate-this-girl. Instruments around it agrees with him "Yes mamu, pennai nambathey"
12) This feeling gives way to anguish again and gets ready for main pallavi ("Anbu Šeitha Ayuthangal Pennidaththil Undu Aeraalam")
13) Everything returns to heavy mode. The song ends with anguish almost turning into anger!

The electric guitar is a second character in the song and agrees with tune and main character feeling 100%. The piano touches bring love. This is called composition! Very intricate and well thought out. And not throwing some random interesting stuff hoping that it would all get stuck together! Look at the unity in the song. Everything falls in place when it should and the way it should. One could be making hundreds of notes about this song. Thumbs up Raja.

ramk1
3rd September 2012, 02:57 AM
My big question now, is the general public that capable of absorbing and appreciating this master piece or whatever adjectives that my more talented critics like suresh and other few friends on the hub may name it. I only hope that this master piece gets the respect as other 80's gems that our maestro has churned out. If the movie is only half good as the songs are, there could be riots in theatres. The youth crowd who have long started to like other music these days, can really start appreciating the current Raja. Let us wait and see.

kr
3rd September 2012, 04:15 AM
Beautifully written.....I agree with your analysis

rajkumarc
3rd September 2012, 04:55 AM
Superb writeup senthiltv on Pengal endral, fully agree with you about the rock elements in that song. NEPV is turning out to be a thoroughly satisfying album for me, no complaints at all.

app_engine
3rd September 2012, 05:27 AM
Excellent, senthiv.com!

enna oru rasanai, ezhuththu :clap:

venkkiram
3rd September 2012, 05:58 AM
Excellent, senthiv.com!

enna oru rasanai, ezhuththu :clap: I second this. I was just reading his post line by line while listening to the song. Nice senthiv.com. As a counterpart to "Pengal Yendral", Raja composed Mudhal muRai for female side with Sunidhi Chauhan. Exceptional Album from Raja. It has everything for youth.

venkkiram
3rd September 2012, 06:01 AM
Request senthilv.com to publish his view on "Pengal Yendral" in Amazon site.

http://www.amazon.com/Neethaane-En-Ponvasantham/dp/B009474VGY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346445080&sr=8-1&keywords=neethaane

MumbaiRamki
3rd September 2012, 07:23 AM
Excellent, senthiv.com!

I second .. fantastic right up

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
3rd September 2012, 07:32 AM
Envazhi.com comes up with a neat article! Must Read!

இதுவரை எந்தத் தமிழ் திரைப்படத்துக்கும் நடந்திராத அளவுக்கு நேர்த்தியாகவும், பிரமாண்டமாகவும், இசைமயமாகவும் அமைந்த ஒரே இசை வெளியீட்டு விழா இதுதான் என்றால் மிகையல்ல.

பொதுவாக ஒரு சம்பிரதாயமாக மாறிப்போன இசை வெளியீட்டு விழாவை, இத்தனை பரவசமான அனுபவமாக மாற்றிய பெருமை இசைஞானி மற்றும் இயக்குநர் கவுதம் மேனனையே சேரும் என்பது நிகழ்ச்சிக்கு வந்திருந்த செய்தியாளர்களின் கருத்தாக இருந்தது!

http://www.envazhi.com/isaignani-rocks-at-naaethaane-en-ponvasantham-music-launch/

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
3rd September 2012, 07:41 AM
Sony South officially releases 3 songs with Lyrics!

Ennodu Vaa Vaa Official Lyric Video HD - Neethaane En Ponvasantham

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZcyAaoHJpE

Kaatrai Konjam Official Lyric Video HD - Neethaane En Ponvasantham

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYXfTezIp64

Saayndhu Saayndhu Official Lyric Video HD - Neethaane En Ponvasantham

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W0FPZRh7Og

raajarasigan
3rd September 2012, 09:22 AM
You will apologize for this, very soon :lol:will be very happy to apologize :D

app_engine
3rd September 2012, 09:32 AM
podhu makkaL enna pEsikkiRAnga (http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3167678)

On a different note, tfmpage-in arumai idhu pOnRa idangaL senRAl therikiRadhu :oops:

BTW, skr is doing a great job of collecting comments / reviews of variety of people and promptly updating in the raja-fans facebook page :-)
:clap: for his service!

sivasub
3rd September 2012, 10:23 AM
I dont think any of are qualified to rate or review any of these songs. At least these are beyond my ability - the only thing I am doing now is to listen both telugu and tamil versions. At least that way I am thinking I will be able to arrive at a decision. But even that approach seems to be failing ....

Sudalai
3rd September 2012, 10:39 AM
Saturday morning..
4 song super...

then.. 150 mile driving.. NEPV in loop.. all songs super...

innaikku.. return.. 150 mile.. all songs in loop.. Pongadaa.. neengalum.. unga review-um.. chummaa oru 4 thadava kaelunga.., all songs.. appram comment pannunga.. idhu innum oru nooru vausham nikkum...

engal.. gnaani rocks.. this is music..

'mudhal murai'.. song is the best.. pullarichudichu.. 'nee thaane en ponvasantham'.. line-a kaetkum podhu..

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
3rd September 2012, 11:06 AM
While the Telugu Version CD is still showing Pre-Order, The mp3 songs are available in Flyte. Price is double!

CD Pre-Order -> http://www.flipkart.com/yeto-vellipoyindhi-manasu-music/p/itmdcrfemkay8hyg?pid=AVMDCRYXGE5WCEZH&ref=1ae5bc71-ff68-42b4-b147-e2ee9ccd4cb2

Flyte -> http://www.flipkart.com/yeto-vellipoyindhi-manasu/p/itmdcwzskk9uwuxj?pid=DGADCWYGFDTQQJEB&ref=f796f91e-a6ac-402c-969a-146276012d9a

Dont Forget to listen to the Sample of Yedhi Yedhi which is the Telugu version of Saaindhu Saaindhu, to escape from and to know how better it sounds without yuvan!

Chelian
3rd September 2012, 11:25 AM
Nacchu,,ne,,sonninggooo!!! :) same feelings here!

senthilv.com
3rd September 2012, 12:55 PM
Excellent, senthiv.com!

Thanks app_engine and everyone for the nice comments. I'm a puppet. Raja tunes me :)

Venkkiram,

Thanks. Personally, I like full scale analysis and don't like Amazon type reviews but will try and see if I can review it there. Every song is so well composed and orchestrated, we could analyze theses songs to death. Overwhelming to think Raja just does all this with a snap of finger. Salute. Analyzing couple of more song but I'm also working on a project so not enough time. Will try to post soon.

Gregorysab
3rd September 2012, 01:01 PM
OK. some ammendment. Pengal Yendral moves from "not working" to "works at a certain level". Just that I have wear a different thinking cap than the "raaja music admirer" cap. (choice of yuvan still doesnt work, but my ammendment is more from composition/instrumentation perspective). More later.

baroque
3rd September 2012, 01:17 PM
Pengal endral.... rock guitar bgm is good.
that's all...
Yuvan voice le ellam enakku feeling varalai... naane edho karpanai pannikka vendiyadhudhaan... frustration, anguish , love failure etc..:-D

Vinatha

Senareb
3rd September 2012, 01:27 PM
http://cinema.dinamalar.com/tamil-news/8390/cinema/Kollywood/Ilayaraja-speech-at-neethane-en-pon-vasantham-audio-launch.htm

ஆர்மோனிய பெட்டி என் கள்ள காதலி மாதிரி...! இளையராஜா!!

Someone pls paste the article here.. cant open the link. blocked.. :fatigue:

San_K
3rd September 2012, 01:31 PM
Am i the only one who thinks Yuvan gave better feels in Sainthu Sainthu than NSK's grand daughter?

Bala (Karthik)
3rd September 2012, 01:31 PM
Am i the only one who thinks Yuvan gave better feels in Sainthu Sainthu than NSK's grand daughter?
:shock: :omg:

K
3rd September 2012, 01:32 PM
ஆர்மோனிய பெட்டி என் கள்ள காதலி மாதிரி...! இளையராஜா!!

கவுதம் மேனன் இயக்கும் நீ தானே என் பொன்வசந்தம் பாடல் வெளியீட்டு விழா நேரு உள்விளையாட்டு அரங்கில் பிரமாண்டமாக நடந்தது. அந்த நிகழ்ச்சியில் கவுதம் மேனன் இளையராஜாவை பேட்டி கண்டார். அதன் துளிகள் இவை

கவுதம் மேனன்: உங்கள் கையில் இருக்கும் ஆர்மோனிய பெட்டி பற்றிய உணர்வுகளை பகிர்ந்து கொள்ள முடியுமா?

இளையராஜா: இதை பெட்டின்னு சொல்லக்கூடாது. அதுக்கு உயிர் இருக்கு. என்னோட அது பேசும். நீங்க கேட்ட ஆயிரக்கணக்கான பாடல்களை எனக்கு கொடுத்ததது அதுதான். இதை எங்க அண்ணன் பாவலர் வரதராசன் 85 ரூபாய்க்கு கோயம்புத்தூர்ல ஒரு ஆசாரிகிட்ட செஞ்சு வாங்கிட்டு வந்தார். அதுலேருந்து இது எங்க குடும்ப உறுப்பினராயிடுச்சு. இதை தொட்டா எங்கண்ணன் என் புறங்கையில பிரம்பால அடிப்பாரு. ராத்திரி எல்லோரும் தூங்கின பிறகு கள்ளக் காதலன் காதலிய சந்திக்கற மாதிரி இந்த பெட்டிய வச்சுக்கிட்டு பாடுவேன். அப்புறம் அண்ணன் எங்க போனாலும் நான்தான் இதை தூக்கிட்டு போவேன். கச்சேரி முடிந்து பஸ்சில வந்தா இதுமேல படத்து தூங்குவேன். பாரதிராஜாகூட இதுமேல படுத்து தூங்கியிருக்கான். என்னை முழுசா தெரிஞ்சது அதுதான்.

கவுதம் மேனன்: உங்க வெற்றிக்கு எதை காரணமா சொல்வீங்க?

இளையராஜா: ஒரு பாட்டு மாதிரி இன்னொரு பாட்டு இருக்க கூடாதுங்றதுல தெளிவா இருப்பேன். அதனாலேயே என் பாட்டை நான் திரும்ப கேட்குறதில்ல. சில இயக்குனர்கள் வந்து அந்த பாட்டு மாதிரியே போட்டு கொடுங்கன்னு கேப்பாங்க. அந்த பாட்டு அந்த பாட்டுதான் அது மாதிரியெல்லாம் போட முடியாதுன்னு சொல்லிடுவேன். எப்பவுமே நான் இயக்குனர்கள் பேச்சை கேட்க மாட்டேன். கதையையும், சூழ்நிலையையும் சொல்லிட்டா பாட்டை கொடுத்துருவேன் அவ்வளவுதான்.

கவுதம் மேனன்: உங்களுக்கு பிடிச்ச இசை அமைப்பாளர் யார்?

இளையராஜா: நிறைய பேர் இருக்காங்க. யாரைன்னு குறிப்பிட்டு சொல்றது. ஒரே இசைய ஒவ்வொருத்தரும் ஒவ்வொருவிதமா கையாழுவாங்க. அந்த வகையில எம்.எஸ்.விசுநாதனை பிடிக்கும்.

கவுதம் மேனன்: உங்கள் பாட்டை எல்லோருக்கும் பிடிப்பது எதனால்?

இளையராஜா: ஒரு பாட்டு எனக்கு பிடிச்சப்புறம்தான் மக்களுக்கு தர்றேன். எனக்கு பிடிச்சது அவுங்களுக்கு எப்படி பிடிக்குதுங்றது எனக்கே இன்னிக்கு வரைக்கும் தெரியாது. நல்லா சமைக்றது எல்லோரும் நல்லா சாப்பிடணுங்றதுக்குத்தான். நான் சமைச்சு தர்றேன், நீங்க சாப்பிடுறீங்க. மக்களிடம் சென்று சேராத கலை கலையே அல்ல.

கவுதம் மேனன்: நீங்க பாடினதிலேயே உங்களுக்கு பிடிச்ச பாட்டை பாடுங்களேன்?

இளையராஜா: (பாடுகிறார்) ஜெனனி... ஜெனனி.. ஜெகம் நீ... அகம் நீ... ஜெக காரணி நீ... பரி பூரணி நீ...
Tags »

Senareb
3rd September 2012, 01:35 PM
thank u K..

Bala (Karthik)
3rd September 2012, 01:45 PM
Saaindhu Saaindhu is superb. If GVM does justice, it will be quite something with the visuals

Bala (Karthik)
3rd September 2012, 01:53 PM
Satru Munbu - Loved the melody constructs. "Ilaiya"Raaja. Especially the charanams, lovely. Tune/singing = win :clap:
Is it just me or is the symphonic backing a little 'distracting'? it doesn't pinni penanjufy with the melody as is always the case with Raaja? Need to listen to this more

Edit: I can see the forms and patterns of the orchestration better now. "ippo sitha thevala"

San_K
3rd September 2012, 01:59 PM
:shock: :omg:

:lol: adhu oru agenda driven post :lol:

but really I liked yuvan singing in saranams

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
3rd September 2012, 02:00 PM
Sila perukku sound complaints irukku. One thing i noted is, the volume of the Vocals is somewhat "more" less than the instruments, at places. Added to that those instruments are of Bassy, that actually doesn't seem to work for those having average and less than average quality hearing systems ( The Sound amp hardware in the PC/Laptop, Headphones ) Given that we listen from a 320kbps source, there won't be issues wrt the source file and the player, but hearing instruments are important.

Bala (Karthik)
3rd September 2012, 02:07 PM
Sila perukku sound complaints irukku. One thing i noted is, the volume of the Vocals is somewhat "more" less than the instruments, at places. Added to that those instruments are of Bassy, that actually doesn't seem to work for those having average and less than average quality hearing systems ( The Sound amp hardware in the PC/Laptop, Headphones ) Given that we listen from a 320kbps source, there won't be issues wrt the source file and the player, but hearing instruments are important.
<Just using the quote to add to my point>
Speaking for myself, i didn't mean the volume of the vocals being suppressed by instruments. In fact, i lean towards instruments and wouldn't mind it that way. Actually, the problem with TIS is exactly that of volume - overall volume (amplitude? is low throughout the album).
I meant the orchestration in Satru Munbu sambarum-sorum pol illaamal, romba thanniya odra rasamum-sorum irundhadhu pol oru unarvu. As i updated a little earlier, i realize it's a question of identifying the forms/patterns of the background.

P.S: If this is not experimental, reinventing one-self, "learning" i don't funkin know what is.

Bala (Karthik)
3rd September 2012, 02:13 PM
Kaatri Konjam - Masterclass
Saaindhu Saaindhu - Breezy, classy, simple but posh beauty
Satru Munbu - Bowled over by the tune, i'm getting there with the orchestration
Ennodu Va Va - Only way from the shocking pallavi is only up. Anu pallavi, not bad at all. Liked the 1st lude. Loved the charanam - Feather lite. 2nd lude - Why synth??????????? Indha albuthulayuma?

Mudhal Murai - Need more listens
Pudikkala Maamu - :| Innum full-a kekkala. Konjam medhuva varen
Pengal - Yet to listen

Bala (Karthik)
3rd September 2012, 02:22 PM
Swamigal :notworthy: for my turn around on Ennodu Va Va

P.S: Why is the 1st interlude so very familiar? It's a bit from that fantastic heart-melting title score from ASK

Bala (Karthik)
3rd September 2012, 03:08 PM
"Vaanam Mella" - Delightful chorus prelude. Like the pallavi and the backing music throughout. So lush.
The charanam tune is a trifle disappointing, though. Engeyo poirukkalaamo?

Bala (Karthik)
3rd September 2012, 03:19 PM
"Pengal Endraal" - for the first time now. Why were people trashing this?? OK, i'm not launching into superlatives yet (too early) but i was expecting something worse than Pudikkala Maamu. This sounds interesting. Yuvan sounds better in this than "Saaindhu Saaindhu".

raajarasigan
3rd September 2012, 03:24 PM
peNgaL enRAl - opening sari illa.. but Yuvan sings 'enna solla...", that part is good.. but it is very very non-IR composition... :shock:

Bala (Karthik)
3rd September 2012, 03:34 PM
peNgaL enRAl - opening sari illa.. but Yuvan sings 'enna solla...", that part is good.. but it is very very non-IR composition... :shock:
The bass/chords at the end of the pallavi, just before the first interlude is so wicked. Raaja :shock: The charanam was going just so-so till, "madhi ketta ennidam, maNam (sic) nondhu sonnadhu" makes it better.
Not a bad song at all

KV
3rd September 2012, 03:44 PM
The CD finally arrived (2 and half days? WTF! :hammer:).

COLOSSAL. :bow: Blue meth! Raaja... TFM's Heisenberg! :smokesmirk:

As a Raaja old-timer, I can't seem to emotionally 'connect' to some of the songs. But this sense of variety and diversity, IMO, are essentially the album's USP.
"I've got all bases covered. Time for you to cover yours" the album appears to scream to the cynics. One can sense the poor little creatures being cornered and squealing. : pity:.

Bala (Karthik)
3rd September 2012, 03:59 PM
"I've got all bases covered. Time for you to cover yours" the album appears to scream to the cynics.
:lol:

People not liking (or not able to like) this album is fine. Sila peru indha albuthu mela nambalavida aavala irukkaanga. Avinga dhaan matteru. Genre, composition pathi ellaam ivinga (hiding behind Steven thavasi, Time/Playboy mahazine) lecture eduppaanga paarunga. Internet vedichirum

equanimus
3rd September 2012, 04:17 PM
Why isn't EVERYONE just going on and on about 'vAnam mella' and leave everything else aside? Stumbled on it just a while ago, having listened to the other songs earlier. Finished raving on twitter. And it's still in loop. Just started playing it again and kaNNu lEsA shake Ayiduchchu (panikkallAm illa). Beautiful, beautiful prelude, pallavi!

Bala (Karthik)
3rd September 2012, 04:22 PM
Why isn't EVERYONE just going on and on about 'vAnam mella' and leave everything else aside?
:lol: This is Anban's clear favorite too

Beautiful, beautiful prelude, pallavi!Yes, and that's the thing (issue) for me. The charanams cannot match the prelude/pallavi. Gear mela shift aagaama same/lower la pora madhiri light-a oru idhu.

equanimus
3rd September 2012, 04:28 PM
Gautham, effective as he can be, just can't hope to do justice to do this beauty. This is one for the ages. And I'm fully aware that I'm basically reacting to what's evidently the most soothing song from the soundtrack. But I think that doesn't sum up the whole exercise. The orchestration is so delicately woven here.

KV
3rd September 2012, 04:31 PM
pEraasai pudicha naan, just bought yEdhi yEdhi from Flyte. This is dessert of the finest and tastiest variety. :delicious:
Though I'd have preffered Sriram Parthasarathy in this one (and Saindhu Saindhu), Shaan does ably well (his singing does sound a bit 'broken' at places).

equanimus
3rd September 2012, 04:35 PM
B(K), agreed. The charaNam tune don't live up to the magic of the prelude. But the orchestration is a consistent delight here. This is probably what motivated @kameshratnam to strip the singing away from the song. Saw Sureshs65 (@Raaga_Suresh) point to it (https://twitter.com/Raaga_Suresh/status/242501331397517312) on twitter. Haven't listened to it beyond the beginning though (quality ellAm sariyA irukkumA? -nnu oru kELvi :)).

Bala (Karthik)
3rd September 2012, 04:39 PM
But the orchestration is a consistent delight here.

Exactly. The ASK mood

This is probably what motivated @kameshratnam to strip the singing away from the song. Saw Sureshs65 (@Raaga_Suresh) point to it (https://twitter.com/Raaga_Suresh/status/242501331397517312) on twitter. Haven't listened to it beyond the beginning though (quality ellAm sariyA irukkumA? -nnu oru kELvi :)).
Oh, thanks for linking this! Minus 1-ku naaya theditrukken (manasula). "Kaatrai Konjam" laam voiceless will be nothing short of EPIC! I 'process' the song that way anyway

Bala (Karthik)
3rd September 2012, 04:49 PM
KV
The pre-interlude riff leading to the 1st interlude is just too wicked Thala. Enna aniyaayam-nga idhu? :huh: (peNgaLendRAl)

equanimus
3rd September 2012, 04:52 PM
Exactly. The ASK moodAbsolutely! I didn't (consciously) trace the connection, but now that you say, he has taken off from exactly where he left with that sublime piece.

KV
3rd September 2012, 04:52 PM
Mudhal murai... I'm still trying to consume this one; haven't managed to get my arms around it yet. One thing's for sure - it's epic sounding (the 'sound' reminds me of Symphony & Metallica where composer Michael Kamen had created a similar 'dense and intense' WCM score to accompany Metallica's songs).
Oh, the bass lines in the charanam :clap:. Highly recommended for voice-stripping.

venkkiram
3rd September 2012, 05:20 PM
How is the quality of lyrics in Telugu version? Just saw in wiki that the lyricist Anantha Sreeram just 28 years old.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bc/Ananthsriram.jpg

69 vs 28!

AravindMano
3rd September 2012, 05:20 PM
pEraasai pudicha naan, just bought yEdhi yEdhi from Flyte. This is dessert of the finest and tastiest variety. :delicious:
Though I'd have preffered Sriram Parthasarathy in this one (and Saindhu Saindhu), Shaan does ably well (his singing does sound a bit 'broken' at places).

*damaaaaal*

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
3rd September 2012, 05:50 PM
How is the quality of lyrics in Telugu version? Just saw in wiki that the lyricist Anantha Sreeram just 28 years old.

69 vs 28!

I brought Telugu Version. In Yedhi Yedhi (SaaindhuSaaindhu) there is a line "Aanandham Rummanthaa" I Don;t know if 'Rum'manthaa is a full telugu word or be broken as Rum Anthaa!

But whatever it is, if the man chooses someone of age 28, WOW!

SoftSword
3rd September 2012, 07:00 PM
barring pudikkala maamu(its fine until the first interlude) every other song gets better and better..
half of the album is so unlike him, which was done conciously i believe...

some places i find the orchestration being too good/heavy for the tune/singing...

Gregorysab
3rd September 2012, 07:06 PM
Finally, after digesting the album enough, here is my take on Neethane En Ponvasantham: http://musicmavericks.blogspot.in/2012/09/neethane-en-ponvasantham-yeto.html

Fliflo
3rd September 2012, 07:09 PM
listened to "kaatrai konjam" at least 25 times. what a composition. the sax and its eventual descending at the end of the song has literally flew me to next planet. :)

Nerd
3rd September 2012, 07:20 PM
*damaaaaal*

+1 :lol: yov sreerampaarthaavaa.. Nalla velai aalaap raju nu sollalai. Yuvans not bad here or at least I got used to him.

Vaanam Mella actually I trace it back to Mella Oornthu from Nandhalala.

venkkiram
3rd September 2012, 07:20 PM
Finally, after digesting the album enough, here is my take on Neethane En Ponvasantham: http://musicmavericks.blogspot.in/2012/09/neethane-en-ponvasantham-yeto.html

"At an age when he no longer needs to prove his genius, this 70 year old composer is still writing great music replete with melody, orchestral richness, and intensity and is still eager to try something new. Neethane En Ponvasantham is an accomplishment of Ilaiyaraaja that vindicates this fact."

Rightly said. Good review Aakarsh.

app_engine
3rd September 2012, 07:49 PM
Vaanam Mella actually I trace it back to Mella Oornthu from Nandhalala.

So, that's the link to 'niRam piriththuppArhthEn' that got evoked in me :-)
(I remember someone doing a detailed post comparing mella oorndhu oorndhu & niRam piriththu in the hub)

The song also gives some 'sittukkuruvi muththam koduththu' kind of MSV-TKR "feel".

Classic!

app_engine
3rd September 2012, 08:01 PM
milliblog / itwofs / Karthik review of NEPV (http://itwofs.com/milliblog/2012/09/01/neethaane-en-ponvasantham-music-review-tamil-ilayaraja)

Note: This is the 4th ever 300 worder on Milliblog – in 7 years, since 2005. The earlier ones included Delhi 6 (http://itwofs.com/milliblog/2009/01/15/music-review-delhi-6-hindi-a-r-rahman/), Roja (http://itwofs.com/milliblog/2011/01/06/roja-music-review-tamil-a-r-rahman/) (yes!) and Rockstar (http://itwofs.com/milliblog/2011/09/30/rockstar-music-review-hindi-a-r-rahman/). There is a special joy in giving a 300 worder to Raja, however!

Fliflo
3rd September 2012, 08:18 PM
The MAESTRO'S MAGIC continues

http://www.thehindu.com/arts/cinema/article3854443.ece

Vinodkumar
3rd September 2012, 08:19 PM
<Just using the quote to add to my point>
Speaking for myself, i didn't mean the volume of the vocals being suppressed by instruments. In fact, i lean towards instruments and wouldn't mind it that way. Actually, the problem with TIS is exactly that of volume - overall volume (amplitude? is low throughout the album).
I meant the orchestration in Satru Munbu sambarum-sorum pol illaamal, romba thanniya odra rasamum-sorum irundhadhu pol oru unarvu. As i updated a little earlier, i realize it's a question of identifying the forms/patterns of the background.

P.S: If this is not experimental, reinventing one-self, "learning" i don't funkin know what is.

That is because the CD's mastered in India are compressed to the core and so they sound very loud and that removes The dynamic range of the instruments and vocal. The instruments and vocals will now sound very louder ( the peak level meter hits 0db thought the song)..but, we cannot hear them in their full body (for example like a when a drummer plays it, you get the natural reverberation of cymbal or high hat or bass drum). Normally, the compression is applied to control the spikes in the signal..but, most of the albums in TFM are compressed to the core which makes them very loud. Albums like TIS and NEPV should sound much natural and enjoyable (you should not be closing your ears) at somewhat high volume when listened via a decent headphones or system.

venkkiram
3rd September 2012, 08:19 PM
ராஜாவும் புதிய தலைமுறைக்கு ஏற்றார்போல இசையமைத்திருக்கிறார். அதனாலேயே பாடல்கள் ஹிட் என்ற இழை சில விமர்சனங்களில் ஓடிக் கொண்டிருக்கிறது. ஒத்துக்கொள்ளவே மாட்டேன். அவர் தனது வழக்கமான தளத்தில் செல்லாமல் சில பாடல்களில் ராக அமைப்பில் புதிதாக காலடி வைத்திருக்கிறார். உதாரணம் :முதல் முறை. ஆனால் இசை அமைத்தல்/கோர்ப்பு - முழுக்க முழுக்க அவரது தளத்திலேயே. இன்றைய தலைமுறைகளுக்கு ரொம்ப புதிதான விஷயம். அவர்களுக்கு பழக்கப்படாத இசைக்கருவிகள். குரல்கள் பயணிக்கும் இடங்களில் இசை நுழைவது அவர்களுக்கு புதிது. இன்றைய இசையமைப்பாளர்களுக்கு தனது பாடல்கள் வழியே எப்போதுமே இலவசமாக கற்றுக் கொடுப்பவர் ராஜா. அந்த வகையில் இப்படப் பாடல்கள் மிகப்பெரிய பொக்கிஷம் அவர்களுக்கு.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
3rd September 2012, 08:24 PM
ராஜாவும் புதிய தலைமுறைக்கு ஏற்றார்போல இசையமைத்திருக்கிறார். அதனாலேயே பாடல்கள் ஹிட் என்ற இழை சில விமர்சனங்களில் ஓடிக் கொண்டிருக்கிறது. ஒத்துக்கொள்ளவே மாட்டேன். அவர் தனது வழக்கமான தளத்தில் செல்லாமல் சில பாடல்களில் ராக அமைப்பில் புதிதாக காலடி வைத்திருக்கிறார். உதாரணம் :முதல் முறை. ஆனால் இசை அமைத்தல்/கோர்ப்பு - முழுக்க முழுக்க அவரது தளத்திலேயே. இன்றைய தலைமுறைகளுக்கு ரொம்ப புதிதான விஷயம். அவர்களுக்கு பழக்கப்படாத இசைக்கருவிகள். குரல்கள் பயணிக்கும் இடங்களில் இசை நுழைவது அவர்களுக்கு புதிது. இன்றைய இசையமைப்பாளர்களுக்கு தனது பாடல்கள் வழியே எப்போதுமே இலவசமாக கற்றுக் கொடுப்பவர் ராஜா. அந்த வகையில் இப்படப் பாடல்கள் மிகப்பெரிய பொக்கிஷம் அவர்களுக்கு.

எதைவைத்து பாடல்கள் ஹிட் என்பததை ஒத்துக்கொள்ளவே மாட்டீர் என சொல்கிறீர்? அதற்கான பதில், அடுத்துவந்த வரிகளில் இல்லை, எனவே கேட்கிறேன்

venkkiram
3rd September 2012, 08:24 PM
Best of Ilaiyaraja songs they picked

Bharathirajaa ‘Pothi Vacha Malliga Mottu’ (Mannvasanai)

Balu Mahendra ‘Thumbi Vaa’ (Olangal)

K.Balachander ‘Poongathu’ (Mudhal Mariyathai)

P.Vasu ‘Orey Naal’ (Ilamai Oonjalaadugirathu)

R.V. Udayakumar ‘Pacha Mala Poovu’ (Kizhakku Vaasal)

Sunderrajan ‘Amma Endra Azhaikaatha’ (Mannan)

Suresh Krissna ‘Valai Osai’ (Satya)

S.P.Muthuraman ‘Aasai Nooru Vagai’ (Adutha Vaarisu)

R.K. Selvamani ‘Aattama Therottama’ (Captain Prabakaran)

venkkiram
3rd September 2012, 08:26 PM
எதைவைத்து பாடல்கள் ஹிட் என்பததை ஒத்துக்கொள்ளவே மாட்டீர் என சொல்கிறீர்? அதற்கான பதில், அடுத்துவந்த வரிகளில் இல்லை, எனவே கேட்கிறேன் அதனாலேயே என்பதையும் சொல்லியிருக்கிறேனே. பாடல்கள் ஹிட் என்பதில் என்ன இரு வேறு கருத்துக்கள் இருக்கப் போகிறது?

app_engine
3rd September 2012, 08:32 PM
The MAESTRO'S MAGIC continues

http://www.thehindu.com/arts/cinema/article3854443.ece

I don't listen to directors

:rotfl:

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
3rd September 2012, 08:34 PM
Venki, Oh Ok ggaadit! :)

SoftSword
3rd September 2012, 08:42 PM

i dont think so. details pls.

Sureshs65
3rd September 2012, 08:49 PM
My review of 'Mudhal Murai Paartha Nyabagam' song: http://onlyraja.wordpress.com/2012/09/03/mudhal-murai-nee-dhane-en-ponvasantham/

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
3rd September 2012, 08:49 PM
Oboe, almost nil wrt other MDs.

Nerd
3rd September 2012, 09:01 PM
My review of 'Mudhal Murai Paartha Nyabagam' song: http://onlyraja.wordpress.com/2012/09/03/mudhal-murai-nee-dhane-en-ponvasantham/
Brilliant as usual ji. Please review about other songs too. The 'giving-it-all' / 'letting-it-go' has come out beautifully in this song. Superior drumming throughout too. The energy is something even a much much younger Yuvan couldn't have thought of. I was very apprehensive of Sunidhi, but she is perfect in the song. Even the thamizh diction is good. Have to listen to the original NEPV soon so that I don't forget that tune :-) :-)

Nerd
3rd September 2012, 09:03 PM
Waiting for views from V_S sir and Plum.

Anban
3rd September 2012, 09:06 PM
Gautham, effective as he can be, just can't hope to do justice to do this beauty. This is one for the ages. And I'm fully aware that I'm basically reacting to what's evidently the most soothing song from the soundtrack. But I think that doesn't sum up the whole exercise. The orchestration is so delicately woven here.

They showed almost the full video of this song.. Full of montage shots of school time love in uniform .. actually some of them are shown in that Ennodu vaa vaa teaser ..

Anban
3rd September 2012, 09:08 PM

He also said .. "naan podura tune director_kku pudikkira alavukku thaan irukkanum .." :lol:

SoftSword
3rd September 2012, 09:16 PM
Oboe, almost nil wrt other MDs.

sakala,
if u include Rahman as well, then plis listen to khwaja mere khwaja instrumental version from jodha akbar...

venkkiram
3rd September 2012, 09:19 PM
i dont think so. details pls. For e.g. Acoustic drums. Its been long time we hear Crash/ride cymbal. Don't we?

Nerd
3rd September 2012, 09:22 PM
Its a silly debate folks - who has used the most no. of instruments, its quite funny actually. ivaru idha use pannirukkaar adhanaal avaru dhaan great, really? :lol:

venkkiram
3rd September 2012, 09:23 PM
sakala,
if u include Rahman as well, then plis listen to khwaja mere khwaja instrumental version from jodha akbar... I know you consider Rahman also in the race. But I am not. Because in last 5/10 years, the percentage of ARR songs been listened by Tamil youth may be around 10% (considering his Bolly/Hollywood collaborations) and rest of the time, its GVP, Yuvan, HJ, VAntony, DSR etc.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
3rd September 2012, 09:24 PM
sakala,
if u include Rahman as well, then plis listen to khwaja mere khwaja instrumental version from jodha akbar...

Oh! thx! I thot No one used!

SoftSword
3rd September 2012, 09:26 PM
if you mean the instruments which are rare these days, then i agree...
those cymbals actually took me to sangeetha megam... very nice.

SoftSword
3rd September 2012, 09:27 PM
I know you consider Rahman also in the race. But I am not. Because in last 5/10 years, the percentage of ARR songs been listened by Tamil youth may be around 10% (considering his Bolly/Hollywood collaborations) and rest of the time, its GVP, Yuvan, HJ, VAntony, DSR etc.

i don consider rahman in that race...
but sakala meant all other mds.
and the % topic, not the right place and time to discuss.

rajkumarc
3rd September 2012, 09:36 PM
Nice review Aakarsh. Like the way you summed it up in the end :clap:

MelHarmony
3rd September 2012, 10:25 PM
The more I hear the album I am reminded of TIS album which has a similar sound feel to it...no doubt about that....as the same orchestra is being used...
One example at a time.....Vaanam mella is definitely reminding me of "maasatra jothiye" piece in Sivapuranam...
But here how Raaja's genius flows out to hide the similarities.
in the release function he was mentioning exactly about this phenomenon ....he asked directors not to ask for a song like another song....there is never such a song...if it there then it will not be a song...

MelHarmony
3rd September 2012, 10:33 PM

I feel both have given their their best. I rate Yuvan's contribution slightly higher than Ramya's....the whole song is a great treat for lovers....

MelHarmony
3rd September 2012, 10:34 PM
Can anybody share what Nick Newlands, the conductor, or the orchestra had to say about the album....

Sureshs65
3rd September 2012, 10:39 PM
Brilliant as usual ji. Please review about other songs too. The 'giving-it-all' / 'letting-it-go' has come out beautifully in this song. Superior drumming throughout too. The energy is something even a much much younger Yuvan couldn't have thought of. I was very apprehensive of Sunidhi, but she is perfect in the song. Even the thamizh diction is good. Have to listen to the original NEPV soon so that I don't forget that tune :-) :-)

Thanks. And yes, I was also not sure how this song would be when I saw Sunidhi's name in the credits. I was totally blown away by the energy and diction that I now can't think of anyone else for this song. Sunitha Sarathy tried gamely during the launch, did a decent job but Sunidhi's impact is something else. And yes, absolutely superb drumming throughout.

Sureshs65
3rd September 2012, 10:40 PM
Its a silly debate folks - who has used the most no. of instruments, its quite funny actually. ivaru idha use pannirukkaar adhanaal avaru dhaan great, really? :lol:

Fully agree. Why debate anything now? Just enjoy the songs. And there is definitely a lot to enjoy here :)

kiru
3rd September 2012, 11:10 PM
All the people posting here about needing more time to form their opinions is exactly what my position as well. I have never taken this much time to respond to an IR album or even just form my own opinons. Many of the songs however impressive with their orchestral brilliance is, take some time to grow on you.. so that you can shout .. I love it. I immediately liked - vaanam mella - even though it is compared to mella oorndhu. After my wife commented, "he is singing it like thenRal vanthu theendum pOthu" - I have to agree with one comment here it is - thenRal vanthu V2.0. I love it.
I like mudhal mural, saRRu munbu next up..Aggression, Energy, Passion ..As Suresh65 points out, it is line with the current social situation..Next up my choice is ..kaaRRai konjam has a nice jazzy feel to it..Here I would like to point out - what venki says - "குரல்கள் பயணிக்கும் இடங்களில் இசை நுழைவது "..the so-called "fills" is given to a Jazz player. On the negative side, you can see a bit of caution/"reticence" in Karthik's voice (maybe it is just me - even though I like him better in this albums than in previous ones). I like saaindhu, saaindhu.. inspite of people here pulling Yuvan down. He is not bad.. yes at times I feel he is not even in pitch. But as a composition I like it. Unnai vittu pOga mAtten - is good as well, but the first charanam has a kshathriyan/Sound of Music feel which is not in line with the freshness of the rest of the songs. pengal enRaal is pretty rockish . it is a familiar idiom for IR and youth seem to think it is still in fashion and I can see him using it successfully in this album as well as in many previous album (latest - chal chalein). I liked the prelude of pudikala maamu - my wife thought I was listening to my classic rock collection. I dont know why they switched to native style half-way through (commercial reasons ? - something for the common man ?)
I think my first 3 choices are bound to live forever (my forecast).. mudhal murai is like ..enge nimmadhi of this generation. saRRu munbu will be a classic like, say kaadhal siragai kaaRRinil virithu.. vaanam mella is a typical IR songs..and can only be compared to his works. And has the potential too to be a classic.
Some of my responses to comments here and my own take on the sound and style -
*) Yes, the sound mix of this album will be different than previous IR albums .. even Guru (which I remember Vinod mentioning to me that the bass is low). But this is the norm in the America/Europe. Not just IR, MSV and previous MDs did not have the technology to mix in all instruments without drowning out the voice - also the audience did not have the equipment to reproduce sounds with high-fidelity and instrument separation. Another reason, is the audience is more ingrained in the indian monophonic - solo tune thread.. It is difficult to bring in the orchestra and "break" the flow.
*) So I am hoping the audience can adjust to the interweaving of the orchestra and have good equipment so that strings or the wailing rock guitars dont sound jarring (IR and other MDs sometimes use the synth version mainly to tone it down, is my guess)
*) On the style - this album of IR is a bit elitist. It is more likely to appeal to the city-slicker than the audience which would dance to - iyya voodu thiranthu dhaan kidakku
*) One another point - melody - it is there .. but there is lot of orchestral backing too.. so in comparison it might look like we have less melody (it was my first reaction too). Note, IR writes the parts for the instruments after the main tune. Even the soft vaanam mella is no ordinary tune or simple. (to me it creates a trance like state .. it is extra-soft celtic (or scottish ?) music meets the european orchestra meets a tamil composer..awesome.. I would like to see more of you going gaga over this :-) )
*) In essence, it would be interesting to see how the audience reacts to this album. I hope Gautam also really likes the album and not just hyping it up for the publicity. Hopefully, the orchestra will be cool again and IR will also be considered cool .
(@Gokul - yes ..I like Spotify .. playing through my squeezebox on my main system .. but I think I still need the CD.
@Suresh - I am not music-savvy or a great communicator like you.. but I will post more to add to the appreciation of this album, as much as I can)

K
3rd September 2012, 11:16 PM
http://ohoproduction.blogspot.com/2012/09/blog-post_4264.html

V_S
3rd September 2012, 11:17 PM
Back from vacation. :shock: Almost 25 pages in just two days? I also see lot of new hubbers and old timers who were not posting, started posting with NEPV. As expected, this is the most popular and a landmark soundtrack in recent times, beating everything/everyone right and left. Read few reviews here and outside hub too. I think many could not even digest that Maestro did this (I am referring outside of hub). They even want to credit Gautham for orchestration and all as they were too ignorant about Maestro's working styles. I don't want to go into that route, as I feel it is better they assume some non-sense, if that makes them happy.

I am too late to join you guys. I just picked Saainthu Saainthu (amazon version) as the first one to listen and I don't think I can go beyond this in coming weeks or months. Words will limit its beauty and I don't even know when I will go to the next one. I am totally absorbed by Maestro's tide. This is something I never expected, that for a college subject. I had this glimpse in Katrai Konjam few days before when RS/aakarsh posted, but Saainthu Saainthu is a stunner which made me even forget Yuvan's off-shruti/gasping for breath, as he brought the emotions right every time. If I am totally overwhelmed just with this one composition which I can take it for a life time, I am wondering about the remaining seven. I think I will be too late to even get to that, but I know the treat I am yet to receive. This one is just enough for me in coming weeks, relishing as a vintage wine sip by sip.

rajkumarc
3rd September 2012, 11:17 PM
My review of 'Mudhal Murai Paartha Nyabagam' song: http://onlyraja.wordpress.com/2012/09/03/mudhal-murai-nee-dhane-en-ponvasantham/ Simply fantastic review Suresh :clap: :bow:. Shared it on FB :smile:

VS/Plum/Jai - Do post your thoughts as well, much expected.

Bala (Karthik)
3rd September 2012, 11:35 PM
:thumbsup: Suresh

V_S Sir
Glad that you are so kicked about Saaindhu Saaindhu, which I thought deserved more thread time here (ovvorutharum ovvoru paatukku ippadi solradhu means we have a problem of plenty)

Sureshs65
3rd September 2012, 11:41 PM
kiru,

Oh come on. You communicate as well as me, if not better. I wanted your feedback mainly because I know of your knowledge about recording techniques and sound engineering. Nice to see you mention those points. As and when you feel like saying something, say it immediately here :)

V_S,

Yes, people are waiting for your detailed posts on this album. I know it will take a long time to digest an album like this :)

rajkumar,

Thanks. And yes, I am also looking forward to Jai/Plum posting their thought. V_S has given his initial reaction :D

Bala (Karthik)
3rd September 2012, 11:44 PM
Adhaane Jai/Plum, ennaiyya pannitrukkeenga?

kiru
3rd September 2012, 11:51 PM
Suresh.. ha ha.. see MelHarmony's comment comparing it with TIS. saRRu munbu has a Dvorak feel in the start and the ending chorus is surely like in TIS. this is too much for a movie song :-) Apparently, Gautam went back and added more depth to his climax after this song.. If I were Ramya, I would feel so humbled singing for this song..and if I were the director I will make sure this damn MD does not overshadow me :-) I am warming up to the songs very well.. repeated hearing brings out more nuances.. Gautam really got his money's worth. IMHO.
I was a bit disappointed there was not much orchestra in pazhassi rAja and of all in a college-romance movie IR serves it up is spades..

AravindMano
4th September 2012, 12:13 AM
This album was made just for 'Mudhal murai pArtha nyAbagam'. One night gone with this song.

Where. The. Heck. from he pulls all these emotions? This one has love, expectation, pain, anger, thrill and submission. Amazing, amazing, how the tune pedals through all these roads effortlessly. Especially the way tune climbs a cliff and screams off 'nee dhAnE en ponvasantham' - the song just melts into happiness. Unfathomable, what is going on in this one. During the first listen itself I was just knocked down.

The charanam is TERRIFIC. oodalil pOnadhu kAlangaL / ini thEdida nErangaL illaiyE / thEdalil nee varum OsaigaL / angu pOnadhum un thadam illaiyE - You have to feel saar, this and all.

நீந்தி வரும் நிலாவினிலே ஓராயிரம் ஞாபகங்கள் / நீண்ட நெடும் கனாவினிலே நூறாயிரம் தீயலைகள். MuthukkumAr All Pass!

This kind of emotion is very very new for a Gautham Menon film and for a Gautham Menon heroine. From the base-voice based Bombay Jayashri to a screaming Sunidhi Chauhan, the GVM heroine goes through a major (voice) culture shock. Would be interesting to see what unfolds on screen.

KV
4th September 2012, 12:23 AM
Man, what a festive mood this portion of the hub! And some really nice reviews coming out. :thumbsup:
Well, on saindhu saindhu/yEdhi yEdhi - almost my pick too, so far at least (toss up between this one and kaatrai konjam). The guitaring in saindhu is such a delight. If you observe, the style of strumming here isn't regular but a little different (something like only two notes of the chord being played in each stroke). How many hundred songs has this man used the rhythm guitars and yet, here he is, trying to do something fresh (with something as simple as the strumming style) and how lovely it sounds! :musicsmile:
Who's that feller who said this one sounds like a Harris song when the teaser was out?! mavanE! :evil:

@Armano, Nerdy, I still think Parthsarth would've suited this song well. I quite like his rendition in endhukamma prema and elankaatru veesudhE (add poovaasam from anbE sivam to that list). paya nalla dhaana ya paadraan? lighta ambichchu in emotions yeah, but raaja patti-tingering panni paada vechchurppaar.

kid-glove
4th September 2012, 12:36 AM
Gendilmen, Download/Listening link to songs please?

Bala (Karthik)
4th September 2012, 12:39 AM
K_G
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIuFL8nQoRY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

KV
4th September 2012, 12:39 AM
http://www.flipkart.com/neethaane-en-ponvasantham/p/itmdcwzwxpdfzvtr?pid=DGADCWYGZUED7PAH

http://www.flipkart.com/yeto-vellipoyindhi-manasu/p/itmdcwzskk9uwuxj?pid=DGADCWYGFDTQQJEB&icmpid=reco_pp_digitalalbums_1

kid-glove
4th September 2012, 12:42 AM
Thanks B(K)

http://www.flipkart.com/neethaane-en-ponvasantham/p/itmdcwzwxpdfzvtr?pid=DGADCWYGZUED7PAH

http://www.flipkart.com/yeto-vellipoyindhi-manasu/p/itmdcwzskk9uwuxj?pid=DGADCWYGFDTQQJEB&icmpid=reco_pp_digitalalbums_1

Aie, hypocrite.

Piracy ki jai!

KV
4th September 2012, 12:47 AM
apropos nothing, just a quick observation from Sunil's review:

'Kaatrai Konjam – 2nd interlude is the sole highlight of the song.'

kasam se? seriously, pal?

KV
4th September 2012, 12:50 AM
Thanks B(K)

Aie, hypocrite.

Piracy ki jai!

:tuco salamanca style mauling:

kid-glove
4th September 2012, 12:52 AM
Aaaaah. Another one on board. Good for you. Register your thoughts in TV thread.

KV
4th September 2012, 01:08 AM
Aaaaah. Another one on board. Good for you. Register your thoughts in TV thread.
That should still be a while away. ippo dhaan 2nd season. medhuva varen. And that thread's a spoilers galore! Bookmarked for later.

kr
4th September 2012, 01:37 AM
It proves that this is a great album when different songs are picked as gtheir favorites by different people. My favorites in order of preference are:
1 Satru Munbu
2. Mudan Murai
3. Vanam Mella
4. Pengal
5. Ennodu
6. Sayndhu Sayndhu
7. Katrai Konjam'
8. Pudikale Mamu

I think Yuvan has done a great job in Pengal and its a phenomenal song. The guitar work in Pengal, Pudikala, Katrai, Sayndhu are amazing. In Pudikala you could hear 3-4 different guitar sounds.

Amazing!!!!!

kr
4th September 2012, 01:41 AM
Also amazing and not probably readily recognized is how in a space of months IR could give brilliant music for Sri Rama Rajyam (mythological), Sengathu Seemaiyile, Mayilu (tamil folk) and this and prove that he is a master is each of these. Truly a great legend of India!!!!

writeface
4th September 2012, 02:07 AM
Kr- Well said. That is possible only by a gifted artist. I have always felt the same way about him.

I am taking back my words on Saaindu.. On repeated listening it has come to grow on me. The 2nd interlude is pure 'grass-itching"!
Still can't deal with Yuvan's constipated singing, though:)

Am I the only one that likes pudikala maamu.. it is a fantastic song. I love the veedhi paththathey bit, particularly the horns and guitar arrangements are fun.

Need to listen to pengaL endraal some more..

kr
4th September 2012, 02:23 AM
I do like Pudikala mamu - especially the prelude, the guitar works and the beats - the 2nd half of the song grows on you - however, in terms of order of preference in the midst of th oher songs it is lower down the order for me.

jmahesh
4th September 2012, 02:30 AM
Kr- Well said. That is possible only by a gifted artist. I have always felt the same way about him.

I am taking back my words on Saaindu.. On repeated listening it has come to grow on me. The 2nd interlude is pure 'grass-itching"!
Still can't deal with Yuvan's constipated singing, though:)

Am I the only one that likes pudikala maamu.. it is a fantastic song. I love the veedhi paththathey bit, particularly the horns and guitar arrangements are fun.

Need to listen to pengaL endraal some more..

You are not the only one , Though its not the best song for me , I like pudikala maamu particularly the portions that Karthik sings and the kuthu music.
Karthik kuralil oru urchaaham irukku compared to his singing in ennodu vaa and IR musicil kurumbuthanam koppalikarathu, particularly towards the end , music vaasika theriyatha college students ,nijamahavae wind instruments vaithukondu looti adipathu pol irukku.

senthilv.com
4th September 2012, 02:34 AM
It proves that this is a great album when different songs are picked as their favorites by different people.

Good point.
+1

Sunil_M88
4th September 2012, 03:34 AM
@MGhibran

Lived my Childhood period for 42 minutes through 8 songs. Thanks to #NEPV and #Raja sir. Soaking music!

Sunil_M88
4th September 2012, 03:40 AM
naarayanan, thanks

rajashivam, thanks

Thanks for your honest review.

To be honest with others, you must first be honest with yourself.

uv
4th September 2012, 03:52 AM
That is because the CD's mastered in India are compressed to the core and so they sound very loud and that removes The dynamic range of the instruments and vocal. The instruments and vocals will now sound very louder ( the peak level meter hits 0db thought the song)..but, we cannot hear them in their full body (for example like a when a drummer plays it, you get the natural reverberation of cymbal or high hat or bass drum). Normally, the compression is applied to control the spikes in the signal..but, most of the albums in TFM are compressed to the core which makes them very loud. Albums like TIS and NEPV should sound much natural and enjoyable (you should not be closing your ears) at somewhat high volume when listened via a decent headphones or system.

Finally someone with good music sense (behind the scenes). COMP has always been double edge sword. This is one of the best mixed albums of IR period. The sound clarity is phenomenal.
IR fans should really thank GVM for bringing out new dimension of IR.

Sunil_M88
4th September 2012, 03:58 AM
I wish to write pages of praise for Kaatrai Konjam's interlude but even then I know I won't be able to to do justice to it :cry2: (Tears of joy) I've warmed up to Pudikale Maamu. But this should've been by SPB/Mano/Hariharn and IR :sorely missed: I'm getting to that stage where every song is fighting for playtime.

App, thanks for hinting at that song from Time. Been listening to the non-stop as well :clap:

Fliflo
4th September 2012, 04:27 AM
NEPV theaterical trailer.

Released 2 days ago, already >600000 hits

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG8PWUgAIiM&feature=relmfu

venkkiram
4th September 2012, 05:19 AM
திரும்ப திரும்ப கேட்கையில் "வானம் மெல்ல" பாடல் மற்றப் பாடல்களை விட்டு தனியே விலகி நிற்கிறது. ராஜா இசையில் வெளிவந்து பழக்கப்பட்ட பாடல்களின் சாயலை நினைவு படுத்துகிறது. அதற்கும் மேல் ராஜாவின் குரல். இந்தப் பாடலையும் மற்றப் பாடல்களைப் போலவே ராஜா புதிய ரத்தம் பாய்ச்சியிருக்கலாம் எனக் கருதுகிறேன். புதிய மொந்தையில் பழைய கள்! ஜஸ்ட் மிஸ்.

layman10
4th September 2012, 05:20 AM

I have heard about the loudness war and poor dynamic range in current trend of CD production. Also now the focus is to make earphone listeners on ipods/mp3 players happy. How is the out from India in general?. ARR being sound conscious, how is he doing?. I would like to know.

Shank
4th September 2012, 07:30 AM
What I love about Kattrai Konjam is that the pallavi orchestration is different all 3 times. When the song begins, the focus is on percussion based backing, the second time around (after the first charanam), it is heavy strings based...and the last time (after the 2nd charanam), it is piano based...

When one listens closely to these songs, you keep discovering all this great stuff!!

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
4th September 2012, 08:07 AM
திரும்ப திரும்ப கேட்கையில் "வானம் மெல்ல" பாடல் மற்றப் பாடல்களை விட்டு தனியே விலகி நிற்கிறது. ராஜா இசையில் வெளிவந்து பழக்கப்பட்ட பாடல்களின் சாயலை நினைவு படுத்துகிறது. அதற்கும் மேல் ராஜாவின் குரல். இந்தப் பாடலையும் மற்றப் பாடல்களைப் போலவே ராஜா புதிய ரத்தம் பாய்ச்சியிருக்கலாம் எனக் கருதுகிறேன். புதிய மொந்தையில் பழைய கள்! ஜஸ்ட் மிஸ்.

This is their school level love song. Nobody woud sing this on screen and just runs in background, so Correct aa irukkum! 8 Songs la, 7 songs, neenga solra maathiri thaan irukku! Even the pathos Satru Munbu has a Westernized Vocals. While all this 7 songs help for youth connect, this one stands out and still connects!

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
4th September 2012, 08:09 AM

Vinod, did u get a chance to play the mp3 versions in Flyte? Or do you think they too will be taken from same source and will sound the same?

jaiganes
4th September 2012, 08:10 AM
weekend trip, koindhai odambu siththa sari illai.. in between i heard pudikala maamu (after reading the reviews) - i must say it is an audacious song.. beginning with retro style rock and then proceeding to the streets and having a kuththu phrase with no kaadhu kizhikkum percussion - is it really possible? but the song needed a Malaysia or SPB mann.. rest of the songs inimel thaan kekkanum . nemba nervousaa irukku.. will post later..

Vinodkumar
4th September 2012, 09:08 AM
Vinod, did u get a chance to play the mp3 versions in Flyte? Or do you think they too will be taken from same source and will sound the same?
Hi SKV, I think you are referring to the songs at FlipKart? I have and it says its sampled at 320k. It all depends on the source of the MP3. Was it created from a CD or from WAV/ALAC/AIFF? The quality as I hear at Flipkart is no were close to my expectation. Let me tell you this.. If you compare the size of MP3 sampled at 320 will be at 15 mb.. versus, the same file extracted from CD in .wav for .aiff or .alac or flac format will be at least 3 times bigger (roughly) than the mp3 size. So, you can imagine how of the music we are losing with MP3. My stance is that to never hear an IR's music in MP3 format. I'm still eagerly waiting for the CD. Not sure when I will be able to hear it in CD format. Also, one other info. If you hear the lousy MP3 in a decent system or a good hearset, it will sound terrible. Those systems and headphones do tend to clearly highlight the bad tracks and your hand automatically goes to the next track. If I were you, I will try to get NEP in CD format. Now a days, the recording companies are recording albums in DSD/DXD (its the highest sampling rate that you record and it will sound very devine). They then down sample to MP3 or CD format. The MP3's that are created from DSD/DXD will sound phenomenal (even with the low bit rate) when compared to the traditional MP3's that are created from a CD or any other formats (WAV, AIFF, FLAC, etc). Not sure if NEPV was recorded in DSD/DXD format or not. It will be interesting to find out if they have plans to release in highres (24/96 or 24/192) format. Check out hdtracks.com for sample highres to get an idea.

Vinodkumar
4th September 2012, 09:19 AM
Finally someone with good music sense (behind the scenes). COMP has always been double edge sword. This is one of the best mixed albums of IR period. The sound clarity is phenomenal.
IR fans should really thank GVM for bringing out new dimension of IR.
UV.. Well said on using COMP. They say use it very sparingly. I agree 100% on NEPV being one of the best... Also, did you guys notice that recent albums are much balanced when compared to most of the 80's and 90's where the TREBLE is higher than the BASS or lack of TREBLE. I think it was intentionally recorded that way so that people could hear them better via RADIO's those days. This is very good for us fans to enjoy his albums in its full glory...

Vinodkumar
4th September 2012, 09:51 AM
Looks like the second half of "PudikkaleMaamu" has off beat instruments like "Ennada Paandi" (especially the usage of "mini hats") ? I don't think its traditional "dappankoothu" type song. Can someone confirm this?

Bala (Karthik)
4th September 2012, 10:37 AM
Not an answer the ^ post, general thought: The 2nd half of Pudikkala Mamu, though off-putting has some interesting things going. Didn't like the tune at all but pinnaadi ennamo nadandhutte irukku (strumming, outrageous sax parts?...). Weakest link of the album by a distance but adhulayum edhayo vechirukkaan....

kid-glove
4th September 2012, 10:51 AM
While I listened to songs last night, only UV's rendition in Saindhu Saindhu came through my headphones. Thought something was wrong with the YouTube link. But no, i was able to hear it through speakers. Finally able to troubleshoot that headphone joint was faulty and it was acting like bypass filter, only Yuvans made it through, maybe also the chorale.

KV
4th September 2012, 11:02 AM
pudikkala maamu has a whole bunch of musically interesting things going on for sure (some stunning guitaring throughout the song for one!). It's just that the tune, at places, sounds a bit too simple/'pedestrian' (isn't the 2nd half meant to be exactly this? And got me wondering why GVM didn't persist to extract an alternative tune instead of this 'dated' one) and the lyrics are extremely unimaginative (especially the paththadhE part - there's surely a sandham-soll mismatch there right? 'paththadhE' becomes 'pathadhE'. Hect it even sounds so much like the Hindi word 'bathaadhE'! You seldom see this problem in Raaja songs, no?).
And Vinod, I think the percussions in the kuththu part are played on the usual acoustic drums versus thaara/thappatai/thavil, possibly giving it that different sound. And like Jai said, this is one helluva audacious attempt! Oh how I wish Raaja had prolonged that mini post-lude. engyO kondu poirukkalaam!

KV
4th September 2012, 11:08 AM
While I listened to songs last night, only UV's rendition in Saindhu Saindhu came through my headphones. Thought something was wrong with the YouTube link. But no, i was able to hear it through speakers. Finally able to troubleshoot that headphone joint was faulty and it was acting like bypass filter, only Yuvans made it through, maybe also the chorale.

It filtered out everything else and let through only yuvan voice? :lol: What a curse, kittu!

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
4th September 2012, 11:10 AM
http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news-1/sep-12-01/neethane-en-ponvasantham-jiiva-04-09-12.html

Neethane En Ponvasantham is one of the most anticipated films of the year. Gautham Menon and Ilaiyaraja make for an exciting combination and Jiiva and Samantha are like the bonus features. Following the music launch of the film which also doubled as a nostalgic trip backwards in time to revisit some of Ilaiyaraja's finest work, the craze for the film and its music is at an all time high.
The audio CD is selling like hot cakes and the film is also getting a record number of hits on YouTube. Critics and fans alike are impressed with the album and so it is small wonder that it appears to be going viral

kid-glove
4th September 2012, 11:19 AM
It filtered out everything else and let through only yuvan voice? :lol: What a curse, kittu!

It's not a curse as much as a revelation, I suggest we keep UV's voice in preservation, as distress signal for catastrophic event.No advanced Alien hardware could expunge it.

KV
4th September 2012, 11:27 AM
It's not a curse as much as a revelation, I suggest we keep UV's voice in preservation, as distress signal for catastrophic event.No advanced Alien hardware could expunge it.

:lol: avaru paadinaale mukkavaasi catastrophe dhaan, appuram ennatha distress signal?

app_engine
4th September 2012, 11:28 AM
Don't want to spam the hub with my uLaRals...however, romba "rusichchu" ezhudhina oru posttu idhu:

http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?9702-GVM-s-Nee-Thaane-En-Pon-Vasantham&p=945979&viewfull=1#post945979

Those who are not regulars to TF section (but frequent to the IR forum), please click the above link for a "spirited" post :wink:

csramasami
4th September 2012, 12:11 PM
pudikkala maamu has a whole bunch of musically interesting things going on for sure (some stunning guitaring throughout the song for one!). It's just that the tune, at places, sounds a bit too simple/'pedestrian' (isn't the 2nd half meant to be exactly this? And got me wondering why GVM didn't persist to extract an alternative tune instead of this 'dated' one) and the lyrics are extremely unimaginative (especially the paththadhE part - there's surely a sandham-soll mismatch there right? 'paththadhE' becomes 'pathadhE'. Hect it even sounds so much like the Hindi word 'bathaadhE'! You seldom see this problem in Raaja songs, no?).

And Vinod, I think the percussions in the kuththu part are played on the usual acoustic drums versus thaara/thappatai/thavil, possibly giving it that different sound. And like Jai said, this is one helluva audacious attempt! Oh how I wish Raaja had prolonged that mini post-lude. engyO kondu poirukkalaam!

IR is THE Man of Fusion with fusion in his Gene.

For comical song to Nasser's Avatharam, he transcends us to Italic Operatic way of WCM. For traditional way of temple singing of Thiruvasagam, he brings in the Gospel way of singing.

Like that now, to let loose the reign, go-for-free attitude college singing, he gives two sampling to GVM of "Pudikkalai Maamu" and "Veedhi Paththadhe" by Jazzy Kuththu.

(I hate this word Kuththu/dappangkuthu nostalgic haterdness comes into mind of 70's when IR was being stamped and lot of arguments I used to get into with others to clear the wrong notions).

If Jiiva & Co has to sing, take "Pudikkala Mamu", If Santhanam will get into riot take " Veedhi Paththade " something like that..! Just my guess (may be over-guessing)

But what made me cry for this song is the genius IR selecting a scale/ragam (which I could not find any answers so far) with notes of Madhyamavathy, but will never sound like that due to the way of singing of certain phrases. If "Eeramana Rojave Ennai paarthhu...", "Manaada Kodi Meenada ", "Sirugaali Sirugaali" (Telugu-Mallepoovu) etc etc and now this "Veedhi Pathaadhe". Unbeleivable !!

I noticed your observation of similarity with Hindi word "Bathaadhe". May be intentional as it was a trilingual film. We dont know.

Somebody has already cleared the air with excellent convincing write-up on "Pengal Endraal" and in the same way, "Veedhi Pathaadhe" has to rule the College Festivals everywhere in near future!

People has already started accepting the beauty of Saaindhu Saaindhu a beautiful Mohanam piece; (takes me to continue singing Latha Mangeshkar's "Jyoth Kalash..." Suresh may agree with me...).

So no songs can be rejected or kept aside in this album.

With lesser words and a lot of gaps between words, Saindhu Saindhu is very apt song for Hindi adaptation..! (For Hindi, you have to limit the musical notes to Thema or Pulima that's all with just two-syllable words. If you get into Karu-viLan-gani...business, meaning three syllable plus words, Hindi lyricists are finished...! Similarly, limiting to maximum three or four line charanams is enough..! Anything beyond.. filling up of words starts...!) Anand Milind used to do that flaattening/trimming of notes in their Hindi adaptations of IR.

One more thing I observed.. ! IR is particular of complicated words to complicated notes he writes. In "Vaa-nam Mella" song, think of fitting "Var-a-nam Mella" .... in the same time suration of Vaanam Mella....Hope you get what I am trying to tell.

There's a beauty in that twist of "Varanam" (instead of Vaanam) and that's what we are getting in the bag-piper+flute/recorder type of instrumental piece faithfully following throughout the song.

If you whistle, you will struggle for getting that twisty things to replicate, and that's the challenge IR pose for any woodwind player in that song. Though Muthukumar simplified it with "Vanam Mella" he ends with "Tharunam Tharunam..." compensating for the simplification; Somebody felt it as jaarring.. I have different view..!

irir123
4th September 2012, 12:33 PM
friends, i managed to take a 'sneak' listen of NEPV just once!

RANAGALAM !!

whatever I (amongst millions) have been craving for, in terms of: 1. live acoustic instruments, 2.top-notch recording, 3. longish interludes, 4. orchestral score, 5.max mix of genres evolving into something entirely new (in fact this point has been many HCIRF's contention, since IR has straddled so many genres/styles, its time he evolved to the next stage), and 6. BASS !!

with NEPV, IR has covered almost every single aspect from the above !!

few things that popped out at the first listen:

1. the interlude of 'penngal endraal" !!! its IR's salute to a Pink Floydish sound!! and the cellos/ strings that take over from the Floydish sound, are reminiscent of the ambience/space of Sheryl Crow's "Tomorrow never dies" (by David Arnold ?) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLJPeOIWYCw - in fact, almost every song (barring 'pudikkala') is RICH and DENSE with an ambience that one gets to listen in scores like TND !!

2. 'satru mumbu' and 'neethane ponvasantham' are KICKASS tracks! it will take months for me to decipher what is going on here!

3. 'pudikkala' - noone can even conjure up such a rockish college kuthhu song - the interludes are again KICKASS variety !!!!!! the use of the oboe alternating with the trumpet towards the end of this track as the backdrop is total freakout !! and the ending, the guitar wud have gone on to do a sequel if IR had wanted it to !! like a perfect followthrough from a fast bowler!

indha aala nenachhaa bayamaa irukku !

i now have my hands full next 2 months or so, trying to figure out how to get NEPV across to the right ppl here !!

Anban
4th September 2012, 01:34 PM
Pudikkale maamu for santhanam and veethi paththaathu for jeeva

Gregorysab
4th September 2012, 01:46 PM
The song that I hated the most in 1st listening - Pengal endral - is probably the most 'envelope pushing' song of the album, from Raaja's style perspective. I dismissed it :banghead: for it lacked things that I was looking for. But I now see that it has things that I like, but which I didnt expect in this album. Heard it 4 times last night and it made me go "wow". I now need to amend my review a bit.

With this, my likeness quotient of this album goes to 7.5/8.

San_K
4th September 2012, 01:59 PM

:rotfl2:

Gregorysab
4th September 2012, 02:06 PM
Ok I edited my write-up on the album a bit. An extended take on "Pengal endraal": This song is perhaps Ilaiyaraaja's tribute to Mahavishnu Orchestra and the likes. Just remove Yuvan's vocals and replace with a solo violin - it can become a classic. Compared to the romantic-ballad feel the other songs carry, this song comes across as unimpressive because of the culture shock but don't dismiss it. The guitar riffs, the fleeting raag pathdeep+keeravani-ish traces and classic rock elements tease you as you listen along. This song is probably the most envelope-pushing song in this album where Ilaiyaraaja defies himself.

Full review of the album here: http://musicmavericks.blogspot.in/2012/09/neethane-en-ponvasantham-yeto.html (replug)

groucho070
4th September 2012, 02:10 PM
aakarsh, glad you are liking it now. Whole album needs multiple listening. I think this album perhaps has most usage of guitar (any variant) for Raja (can prove me wrong, not been listening to his later/non-Tamizh outputs).

K
4th September 2012, 04:19 PM
http://www.uyirmmai.com/uyirosai/ContentDetails.aspx?cid=5910

"கவிதை பாடு குயிலே குயிலே இனி வசந்தமே" என்று கௌதம் வலிய அழைத்து வந்திருக்கிறார். ராஜாவை மீண்டும் சாதாரணத திரை இசைக்கென. இனிவரும் முப்பது ஆண்டுகளுக்கு இந்த " நீதானே என் பொன்வசந்தம் " திரை இசை இலக்கணமாகத் திகழும்

இனி Synth Music , Loops மற்றும் வசதியாக எங்கிருந்தேனும் அது அரபி, Spanish Country Music, HipHop , Techno , Digitized அல்லது Columbian மற்றும் Jamaican Beats களை வைத்து ஒப்பேற்ற நினைப்போர் மூட்டை கட்டிக்கொண்டு வந்த வழி பார்த்துச்செல்லுதல் நலம். Orchestration என்பதே அறியாத ஒரு Generation. Instrumental Music என்றால் என்னவென்றே தெரியாத கும்பல்களுக்கு இதுதான் இசை, இப்படித்தான் இசைக்கவேண்டும் என்று அறிவுரை தரத்தக்க இசை இது.

Read the Full article from the above Link.

venkkiram
4th September 2012, 04:28 PM

"கவிதை பாடு குயிலே குயிலே இனி வசந்தமே" என்று கௌதம் வலிய அழைத்து வந்திருக்கிறார். ராஜாவை மீண்டும் சாதாரணத திரை இசைக்கென. இனிவரும் முப்பது ஆண்டுகளுக்கு இந்த " நீதானே என் பொன்வசந்தம் " திரை இசை இலக்கணமாகத் திகழும்

இனி Synth Music , Loops மற்றும் வசதியாக எங்கிருந்தேனும் அது அரபி, Spanish Country Music, HipHop , Techno , Digitized அல்லது Columbian மற்றும் Jamaican Beats களை வைத்து ஒப்பேற்ற நினைப்போர் மூட்டை கட்டிக்கொண்டு வந்த வழி பார்த்துச்செல்லுதல் நலம். Orchestration என்பதே அறியாத ஒரு Generation. Instrumental Music என்றால் என்னவென்றே தெரியாத கும்பல்களுக்கு இதுதான் இசை, இப்படித்தான் இசைக்கவேண்டும் என்று அறிவுரை தரத்தக்க இசை இது.

நல்லதொரு விமர்சனம். சுவைத் தேன். ஒவ்வொரு வரியையும் சுவைத்தேன். பாராட்டுக்கள் எழுதிய சின்னப்பயலுக்கு.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
4th September 2012, 04:33 PM

I have a peculiar headphone, its jack is faulty but wierd! It will work properly only if you insert it with some 10% outside! If you properly insert it, you will hear ONLY the instrumental version! One can sing Karoke with it!

Since then, I parceled it and preserving as a rare asset :lol:

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
4th September 2012, 05:27 PM
என்னோடு வாவா முதல் சரணம், கார்த்திக்கின் குரலை இசை அமுக்கி விடுகிறது. இது சிலருக்கு, (எனக்கு அல்ல) குறிப்பா லிரிக்ஸ் தெளிவா கேக்கணும் என எதிர்பார்ப்பவர்களுக்கு எரிச்சலை ஏற்படுத்துகிறது! இரண்டாம் சரணத்தில் மிக்ஸிங் சரியா இருக்கு!

rooky
4th September 2012, 06:06 PM
http://www.sify.com/movies/nep-audio-is-a-big-hit-news-tamil-mjem7Wjgaag.html

No numbers there, but this coming from Sify is a surprise (with their proven negative bias for raja).
I am so very impressed with this album; This has something for everyone.
Has TFM ever heard such rich orchestration, wonderful blend of music genres in a single album.

For Raja Fans like us, it is natural to repeat songs like satru munbu, vaanam mella in a loop. If we are talking about general public, i think atleast two out of {Mudhal murai, ennodu vaa, pudikala maamu, saynthu, kaatrai konjam } likely to move to " very popular" list.

SoftSword
4th September 2012, 06:21 PM
vaanam mella - IR in TiS mode...
bala sunday strugglin at spikes... giving a feelin that she might choke anytime...
just miss, it didn go to bavadharani, but many places the singing reminds her... ammanikku thamizh nallaa varudhae...

marnsZet
4th September 2012, 06:23 PM
As far as I could recollect this is the first time an article has appeared in uyirmmai.com appreciating Rajas music favorably. So encomiums from everywhere including the proven enemy camps!:-D:)

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
4th September 2012, 06:34 PM
As far as I could recollect this is the first time an article has appeared in uyirmmai.com appreciating Rajas music favorably. So encomiums from everywhere including the proven enemy camps!:-D:)

This was another article written some weeks before, by same author சின்னப்பயல்! http://www.tamilpaper.net/?p=6309

இசை என்ற இன்ப வெள்ளம் (http://www.tamilpaper.net/?p=6309)

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
4th September 2012, 06:40 PM
bala sunday

:lol: Typical SS!

marnsZet
4th September 2012, 07:11 PM
Yes Sakala. But not in uyirmmai.com and their monthly magazine uyirmmai. Remember Shajis article criticising Raja and his music an year or two back and Charu niveditha rubbishing Rajas music in Naan kadavul, Nandalala and Ask. Charu praised these movies as world class and thrashed music as the sole sore point! These articles were obviously biased and UYirmmai published it unashamedly. So it is rather a shock to read an article which is in tune with the world views. May be saner counsels prevailed this time!

KV
4th September 2012, 07:12 PM
The album's been looping day-in day-out.
My productivity at vElai has taken a beating.
Deliverabulls piling up.
But it doesn't matter. This experience is probably validating my life's existence in some ways.

To whomsoever it might concern:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4wXcRzo2AWKTMx4EzuPQ_t28Xt6Ey7 ybNg041vBtMmrev54Xi&t=1

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
4th September 2012, 07:25 PM
http://oosssai.blogspot.com/2012/09/blog-post_4.html

எதிர்பார்ப்பை நிறைவேற்றினாரா இசைஞானி...

ஒருமாதிரி நல்லா எழுதிருக்கார், சிலபலதுகள் ஏத்துக்கமுடியாது. சில இடங்களில் என்ன சொல்லவருகிறார் புரியலை. சும்மா படிச்சி வைங்க!

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
4th September 2012, 07:36 PM
And the Golden Spring is back!!! (springs back??!!)- Neethane En Ponvasantham’s Music

http://www.madaboutmoviez.com/2012/09/and-the-golden-spring-is-back-springs-back-neethane-en-ponvasantham-music/

But the icing on the cake is Vaanam Mella by Raja himself and Bela! Even as I write about it, my eyes get moist. The best thing one can write about this song is not write about it at all. Please do yourself a favour, buy the album – LIKE…TODAY!And if I come across as an unabashed fan, what do you know? It was Salvation day for me and the thousands and thousands of other die hards! I STAND VINDICATED. Bless Raja!

irir123
4th September 2012, 07:43 PM
http://www.sify.com/movies/nep-audio-is-a-big-hit-news-tamil-mjem7Wjgaag.html

No numbers there, but this coming from Sify is a surprise (with their proven negative bias for raja).
I am so very impressed with this album; This has something for everyone.
Has TFM ever heard such rich orchestration, wonderful blend of music genres in a single album.

For Raja Fans like us, it is natural to repeat songs like satru munbu, vaanam mella in a loop. If we are talking about general public, i think atleast two out of {Mudhal murai, ennodu vaa, pudikala maamu, saynthu, kaatrai konjam } likely to move to " very popular" list.

sify = sori pudichha site ! avingalukku Raaja and Kamal, rendu perodu padaippugal yendraley by default, ilakkaaram thaan ! totally rejected website

Sureshs65
4th September 2012, 07:47 PM
My review of 'Pengal Enraal': http://onlyraja.wordpress.com/2012/09/04/pengal-enraal-nee-dhane-en-ponvasantham/

app_engine
4th September 2012, 07:52 PM
My review of 'Pengal Enraal': http://onlyraja.wordpress.com/2012/09/04/pengal-enraal-nee-dhane-en-ponvasantham/

:clap:

Excellent review!

After senthilv.com, nice to see another great support for this "so-far-underrated" song!

SoftSword
4th September 2012, 07:57 PM
almost all the melodies are polyphony with instruments travellin parallel to the lead voices... (idha ennanu solluveenga? not counterpoint i know)
voice'a cut pannittu kaetta ellaa song'um by default instrumentalaa irukkum...
thats one reason i think why Ir did not bother much abt using renouned singers...

app_engine
4th September 2012, 08:09 PM
thats one reason i think why Ir did not bother much abt using renouned singers...

IMHO, except for choosing to sing himself the 'vAnam mella' song, IR possibly didn't indulge in singer choices for this album...Gautam possibly decided on all (if not most) of them...

Which is actually good...I guess that works well for general public (though not necessarily to those "80's-fanatics", me excluded) :-)

SoftSword
4th September 2012, 08:09 PM
the ennodu va va first intelude makes me think of some thrilling sequence on screen, while the song is performed on stage...
johny- kaatril song interludes'la thalaivar Odi varuvaarae andha maadhiri...
aduttha interlude kaettaa vaera maargamaa irukku... enna nenachutrukkaapla? :evil:

SoftSword
4th September 2012, 08:11 PM
IMHO, except for choosing to sing himself the 'vAnam mella' song, IR possibly didn't indulge in singer choices for this album...Gautam possibly decided on all (if not most) of them...

Which is actually good...I guess that works well for general public (though not necessarily to those "80's-fanatics", me excluded) :-)

choosing himself was by gvm's insistance if what i heard is right...

San_K
4th September 2012, 08:21 PM
the ennodu va va first intelude makes me think of some thrilling sequence on screen, while the song is performed on stage...
johny- kaatril song interludes'la thalaivar Odi varuvaarae andha maadhiri...
aduttha interlude kaettaa vaera maargamaa irukku... enna nenachutrukkaapla? :evil:

not only the second interlude but the song itself did a 180 degree turn travel from second interlude to end of song. B(K) synth use-nu solraa. may be a intentional one by IR n GVM

app_engine
4th September 2012, 08:23 PM
BTW, don't get excited over sify telling record sales etc...IMO, it's a promotional site...strong possibility that Gautam uses it for marketing. (Their prior article on the launch concert gives me this hint...)

sify coverage of launch event (http://www.sify.com/movies/nep-a-nostalgic-musical-night-from-gautham-menon-news-tamil-mjcrE9bjejd.html?ref=false)

Jaya TV will be telecasting the NEP audio launch, a fitting tribute to Ilayaraja showcased with a touch of class by the genius Gautham Vasudeva Menon.

They have been regularly covering the teasers too as 'awesome' 'great' etc...IMO, Sify's employed as a promoter :-)

marnsZet
4th September 2012, 08:32 PM
Yes Sakala. But not in uyirmmai.com and their monthly magazine uyirmmai. Remember Shajis article criticising Raja and his music an year or two back and Charu niveditha rubbishing Rajas music in Naan kadavul, Nandalala and Ask. Charu praised these movies as world class and thrashed music as the sole sore point! These articles were obviously biased and UYirmmai published it unashamedly. So it is rather a shock to read an article which is in tune with the world views. May be saner counsels prevailed this time!
This was another article written some weeks before, by same author சின்னப்பயல்! http://www.tamilpaper.net/?p=6309

இசை என்ற இன்ப வெள்ளம் (http://www.tamilpaper.net/?p=6309)

app_engine
4th September 2012, 08:48 PM
May be saner counsels prevailed this time!

Don't be too quick to conclude like that :-)

nOttukaL, koottukaL, kuppikaL...ippadi niRaiya irukku ulakaththil (that overrule sane / insane counsels) :wink:

app_engine
4th September 2012, 09:45 PM
Looks like that chinnappayal article is not an "uyirmai" exclusive...

Look, it's here at keeRRu also :
http://www.keetru.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21004:2012-09-04-02-44-10&catid=11:cinema-review&Itemid=129

So, it's possibly an independent review that these siRu idhazhkaL are borrowing...

venkkiram
4th September 2012, 10:07 PM
siRu idhazhkaL need visibility and they make use of IR brand(regardless of whether they praise or blame) for their sales/reach.

app_engine
4th September 2012, 10:09 PM
BTW, the Gautam-propaganda-machinery seems to be in full swing :
http://truthdive.com/2012/09/04/neethaane-en-ponvasantham-trailer-receives-7-5-lakh-views-in-youtube.html

Look at the funniest part in this :

Gautham Menon and Ilaiyaraja usually make an exciting combination,

app_engine
4th September 2012, 10:13 PM
This goes one step further:
http://www.mysixer.com/?p=19599

The look of actor Jiiva already widely appreciated by audience will make him the heart throb for girls across the state, asserts the director of the film Goutham vasudev menon .

:lol2:

rprasad
4th September 2012, 10:42 PM
Mudhal Murai is really captivating. Especially the guitar strain or elec violin part(can anyone confirm what it is?) at the end of each pallavi line which really gives the tune an amazing feel and keep you hooked. Does anyone miss the flute in this album? Me not really though its hard to imagine an IR album without flute , though i think its deliberate here given the symphony orchestra he used. But the Sax has really given a youthful punch to this album. I also feel Satru Munbu is one song which will be sung in a lot of talent shows like more of an unplugged song since it has that kind of an appeal.

thumburu
4th September 2012, 11:14 PM
oru naalu naaL oorukku poittu varathukuLLa enna oru deluge of posts indha threadla !!! The last time we had such overwhelming posts must be during "Naan KadavuL" days. Thanks SKV for the official youtube links.
Heard all the 4 songs there.
Iam a bit undecided on my top picks btween "kaatrai konjam" and "sAindhu sAindhu".
Wait, its the dark horse "sAindhu sAindhu" which was too quickly written off by most of the hubbers and Iam privy to that too. :embarrasment . I am sure Sureshs65/ Nerd, SAN_K who banked on this one must be having their last laugh as this is turning out to be a mega hit. Raja covers up Yuvan's flawed vocals with superlative orchestration replete with guitars, oboe , sax

MumbaiRamki
4th September 2012, 11:18 PM
This goes one step further:
http://www.mysixer.com/?p=19599

:lol2:

NEPV tops the youtube trend :)
http://www.youtube.com/trendsdashboard#loc0=ind

app_engine
4th September 2012, 11:19 PM
Heard all the 4 songs there.
Iam a bit undecided on my top picks

:confused:

moththam ettuppAttunga :-)

ellAm kEtta piRagu pick paNNunga :-)

KV
4th September 2012, 11:20 PM
vaangO thumburu, vaangO. unga reviewku naan kaathundrindhEn! Pleasant surprise that the album has worked for you too! (I still think plum's gonna take a hell lotta time to 'warmup' to this one!)
mudhal murai 1st interlude solo violin kEttEla? You're gonna lap up this one, I bet my buck!

app_engine
4th September 2012, 11:23 PM
NEPV tops the youtube trend :)
http://www.youtube.com/trendsdashboard#loc0=ind

Interesting link - never been there before - nanRi sir!

Tried filtering among different age groups...while the #2 spot changes between age groups, NEPV trailer invariably takes the top spot, for every group!

:thumbsup:

app_engine
4th September 2012, 11:31 PM
mudhal murai 1st interlude solo violin

My mind automatically plays the wah-wah guitar for this violin (from the original NEPV song (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2387'&lang=en)'s celebrated second interlude) :-)

BTW, the song is on repeat in the car!

MusicIsLife
5th September 2012, 12:41 AM
IR - this are amazing set of compositions.. (hopefully Gautam uses them to full extent), it will need years to understand the complexity in the compositions!!.. I feel like listening to Agni Nakshtatram complexity and Naayagan simplicity in presentation..

app_engine
5th September 2012, 01:03 AM
No SJ! No KSC! No KJY!

Still agni* effect, i.e. in creating this sensation!

Gautham, :clap:
What's more, you've got 8 terrific songs (countwise, 2 more than AN)!

I don't remember 8 superb songs (means full songs and not short songs like 'dharisnam kidaikkAdhA' / 'yEh kiLi irukku' kinds) in a single IR TFM album, ever :roll:

Most had 6 (e.g. agni*) and occasionally 7 (e.g. PM)...

San_K
5th September 2012, 01:11 AM
8 terrific songs

எனக்கு இன்னும் புடிக்கல மாமு புடிச்சுருக்கா புடிக்கலையான்னே தெரில. இப்போதைக்கு ரெண்டாவது பாதி புடிச்சுருக்கு. இன்னும் கேட்கணும். கார்த்திக் ராஜா கைங்கர்யம் இதுல இருக்குனே நினைக்குறேன். கௌதம் கூட கார்த்திக் ராஜா பங்களிப்பு பற்றி AudioLaunch நிகழ்ச்சியில் சொன்னார்

BTW for Singer Ramya fans

தாத்தா (http://t.co/HvRbZXDF) vs பேத்தி (http://t.co/vPOeTRPb)

V_S
5th September 2012, 01:11 AM
While I am still listening to Saaindhu Saaindhu for the past two days (I am stuck on that freaky second interlude, holy cow!), my mind (silly you!) wanted to peep on what other compositions has to offer. Accidentally stepped into Mudhal murai (as I have listened to Kaatri Konjam few times) and that's it. I don't think I can step back or forward. Trapped! I have never experienced anything like this. Sunidhi's vocals with clear diction that too for a racy song :shock: and that solo violin pierces me like a thousand needles in the form of acupuncture. I don't think I can review a soundtrack like this any soon. Every thing looks very very new to me and I cannot land on to anything concrete out of this soundtrack. I am drifting like a dry leaf in a wind, I tend to go wherever it carries me. Totally intriguing and want to go back to my teens and 20s desperately, if that is possible. :wink:. This is a gigantic one, given the singer choices! I am already seeing Maestro's viswaroopam in just couple of compositions. :D

app_engine
5th September 2012, 01:23 AM
எனக்கு இன்னும் புடிக்கல மாமு புடிச்சுருக்கா புடிக்கலையான்னே தெரில.

Like I mentioned in the liquor post, as of now, this song is "limited edition" for me (just the orch - fantastic prelude and some terrific trumpeting in-between)...

I don't think one can say "in totality" புடிக்கல :-)

app_engine
5th September 2012, 01:25 AM
V_Sji,
ada innum neenga 'saRRu munbu' kEkkalaiyA?
:shock:

You need another vacation (to listen to NEPV) :-)
j/k

BTW, 'mudhal muRai' is on repeat in my car...in addition, two parking lot listens today - morning & lunch time...

KV
5th September 2012, 01:30 AM
My mind automatically plays the wah-wah guitar for this violin (from the original NEPV song (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2387'&lang=en)'s celebrated second interlude) :-)

:) 'Singing' instrumental portions of Raaja's songs is such fun! thanee sugam!

Nerd
5th September 2012, 01:38 AM
No SJ! No KSC! No KJY!

Still agni* effect, i.e. in creating this sensation!

Gautham, :clap:
What's more, you've got 8 terrific songs (countwise, 2 more than AN)!

I don't remember 8 superb songs (means full songs and not short songs like 'dharisnam kidaikkAdhA' / 'yEh kiLi irukku' kinds) in a single IR TFM album, ever :roll:

Most had 6 (e.g. agni*) and occasionally 7 (e.g. PM)...
Boss, I would not put peNgaL enRaal / ennOdu vaa vaa anywhere near any of the Agni * compositions or for that matter any of the star 80s / 90s compositions. Also its extremely difficult to compare Agni N and this. Correct comparison would be between this / Guru (M) / Thiruvaasagam. For me TiS >> Guru=NEPV. For now.

V_S
5th September 2012, 01:40 AM
V_Sji,
ada innum neenga 'saRRu munbu' kEkkalaiyA?
:shock:
saRRu munbu varai mudhal murai'la thaan irukkEn.:wink: Adhukku mEla pOga mudiyala. Yes I need a long vacation to concentrate and get into the rhythm of this soundtrack. :smile: All I am getting is bits of pieces of time which is not doing any favor.:sad:

Nerd
5th September 2012, 01:42 AM
Pudikkala maamu, very ordinary pallavi / first charanam brings it down quite a bit, but the ludes / kuththtu portions with imaginative accompaniments save the song. I like it very much. My ranking, based on 10+ listens (the ones in #1, I have listened to them more than 20 times)

1. Mudhal murai / Satru Munbu / Kaattrai Konjam / Vaanam Mella / Saainthu Saainthu
2. Pudikkala maamu / Ennodu vaa vaa
3. PengaL enRaal

rajkumarc
5th September 2012, 01:44 AM
I haven't listened to any other music since I started iistening to NEPV. Don't feel there is a need or necessity to switch over to any other IR or non-IR album yet. I can't seem to get enough of NEPV and when I start playing it, I listen to all 8 songs one by one.

VS - Satru Munbu may arrest you for an even longer time for sure :smile:

Suresh - Nice review of Pengal Endral, glad that lot more folks are warming up to this song.

venkkiram
5th September 2012, 01:49 AM
V_S sir has arrived. I would like to read the views from RajaSaranam and RR about NEPV songs.

jaiganes
5th September 2012, 01:52 AM

Nerd , App_E - did you guys buy this album from iTunes? I have been trying and it keeps failing.

V_S
5th September 2012, 01:53 AM
Nerd , App_E - did you guys buy this album from iTunes? I have been trying and it keeps failing.
Yes me too tried yesterday. That's why I went to amazon.

app_engine
5th September 2012, 01:55 AM
Nerd,
The agni* reference is only for "feeling of elation" / "sensation" etc :-)

By this time you possibly know that I'm unqualified to compare "any song" to "any other song" :-)

app_engine
5th September 2012, 01:55 AM

me got from amazon.com (anga review ellAm pOtturukkEn :lol2:)

app_engine
5th September 2012, 02:10 AM
நீதானே என் பொன்வசந்தம் - முதல் முறை பார்த்த ஞாபகம்

"இதயத்தில் ஏனோ ஓர் பாரம் -- விழியினில் ஏனோ ஓர் ஈரம் "

இந்த இரு வரிகளிலும் அந்த "ஏனோ" ...ஆஹ்ஹா, கேட்பதற்கே என்ன சுகம் :-)

Nerd
5th September 2012, 02:44 AM

It keeps failing, but you click on 'Buy' directly from iTunes application. And that works, I mean you can't preview the album but can buy it :lol: Idiots.

V_S
5th September 2012, 02:52 AM
Exactly App! :thumbsup: These are the nuanced areas where Maestro is at his best and unintentionally asks us to break the rewind buttons. Even in a racy composition like this he never fails to leave the soul and his stamp. Those staggering electric guitar and cellos in prelude providing a solid rock flavor, that NEPV outburst, melancholy violin, passionate piano to end the interlude, a மிரட்டல் composition.

jaiganes
5th September 2012, 03:04 AM
It keeps failing, but you click on 'Buy' directly from iTunes application. And that works, I mean you can't preview the album but can buy it :lol: Idiots.
Oh OK..

I was a bit wary as the album price was $7.92 avvLo dhaana? saw gumki selling at $8 and more..
enna pricing strategy idhu from Sony music?

app_engine
5th September 2012, 03:20 AM
Yes, V_Sji!

And, the drum work!

Awesome!

(Sensing my celebratory mood, my 19 year old got clearance to use his savings and get this "cheap-yet-not-so-cheap" $200 Bose computer speakers yesterday...the drums sound awesome in that kuttiyooNdu tweeters, ennA clarity & strength I say...the kick bass comes nice too in the woofer...to my ears, the same tracks play more awesome on iPad compared to Windows laptops..ennaththaichcholla!

He demonstrated a "composing / mixing" kind of app on iPad :shock: I think even I can compose some "TN-youththu" songs with that tool, with zero music edu / creativity :shock:

Helps one to appreciate the difference between what's cool in the market v/s what's real class!)

rajkumarc
5th September 2012, 03:21 AM
JAI - I bought from iTunes, for some reason the song list does not load when you click on the album. You can still click on Buy to purchase the album and it will let you complete the purchase and download the songs.

app_engine
5th September 2012, 03:24 AM
Oh OK..

I was a bit wary as the album price was $7.92 avvLo dhaana? saw gumki selling at $8 and more..
enna pricing strategy idhu from Sony music?

The CD is sold in India @ around Rs 100 :-) (flipkart website)....

I think they deliberately priced it low to kill piracy / boost up volume / get more publicity for the movie.

Sony has even hosted youtube for all songs (one youtube with all songs and separate youtubes for each song with lyrics etc)...I think Gautam is on an all-round assault mode!

writeface
5th September 2012, 05:02 AM
This album is totally,totally awesome. I find myself either thinking about it or listening to it! Total dedication here:)

V_S
5th September 2012, 05:05 AM
Suresh ji,
Excellent write-up and narration on Mudhal Murai. :clap: :clap: Bang on the mood perspective. Nice to Listen now with your write-up to rediscover the unheard territories. Fantastic this one!

V_S
5th September 2012, 05:13 AM
Don't want to spam the hub with my uLaRals...however, romba "rusichchu" ezhudhina oru posttu idhu:

http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?9702-GVM-s-Nee-Thaane-En-Pon-Vasantham&p=945979&viewfull=1#post945979

Those who are not regulars to TF section (but frequent to the IR forum), please click the above link for a "spirited" post :wink:
App sir,
Kalakkal analogy. :clap: Very interesting and thoroughly enjoyed.
The best part is :

NEPV is not an album for people expecting soosu or milkku - this is alcoholic stuff!
Very true, addictive and alcoholic! :thumbsup:

Bala (Karthik)
5th September 2012, 05:41 AM
:clap:

Excellent review!

After senthilv.com, nice to see another great support for this "so-far-underrated" song!
I, Aakarsh and Grouch have already provided suffort for this song. KV-kum kandippa pudikkum nu nambaren

Bala (Karthik)
5th September 2012, 05:43 AM
Suresh
You captured the meandering ways of the tune accurately IMO, coming to think of it. Looking forward to your review of all the songs, but particularly eager about Kaatrai Konjam

rajkumarc
5th September 2012, 05:56 AM
Mudhal Murai is really captivating. Especially the guitar strain or elec violin part(can anyone confirm what it is?) at the end of each pallavi line which really gives the tune an amazing feel and keep you hooked. Absolutely love that portion in the song, that really got me and made the song totally captivating for me. I was thinking it's electric guitar not sure though.

Satru Munbu & Mudhal Murai are having the most impact for me (i'm a sucker for pathos/dark feel with heavy orchestration). These songs would cause a lot more impact on screen with the visuals.

V_S
5th September 2012, 06:40 AM
My first look at Saaindhu Saaindhu. Still not sinked in completely:smile:. (Also this is based on mp3 version, not sure how it will vary with CD version).

The musical themes and instrumental bits of this film is already etched in my mind even before the audio launch, thanks to GVM and the media. Saaindhu Saaindhu teaser put-off most just for Yuvan's singing. I don't blame them. The starting vocals of Yuvan is underwhelming, but the bad part is how GVM chose this clip to promote, that too as the first teaser. As a stand-alone 30 second clip, it does look awkward even with Maestro's magic guitar. Especially "adadaa yeah hey", he goes very flat with not much life in it that too for the first and second time. Gradually he gets into the groove. To me, it didn't take the interest out of me in Yuvan's singing as I feared, as he was totally onto the basics later on. Surprisingly, when he sings, "adadaa viral ellaam pEsa" he comes back to the mood. If we listen to the full song, the awkward start disappears from our mind, just because Maestro diverts us to a different world altogether with his outstanding (is there a better word?) orchestration and Ramya NSK's vocals. Yuvan gets into the mood of the song quite well from charanam. Good that Maestro did not (and will never) use auto-tune to correct his pitches and left as it is so that it is natural to even say some mediocre singer is singing his heart of love and his lover saying, 'definitely I love you, but for god's sake please stop singing and relieve me' with a sarcastic laugh.:lol:

The starting rhythm guitar with electric guitar provides a wonderful counterpoint with a different melody compared to the main melody. This starting piece of guitar arrangements gives the rock ballad feel. Acoustic drums with hi-hat gives the perfect cushion effect to our ears. Just when we were wondering where the bass guitar is, Maestro kicks in the bass when Yuvan sings anu-pallavi, VizhyOdu vizhi pEsa, viralOdu viral pEsa. I love the electric guitar sneaking in with different identity during the anu-pallavi. The culminating anu-pallavi piece is just mind boggling, adadaaa vEru enna pEsa (the telugu version does not get its expected elongation as in Thamizh. The chords are shortened makes it little dampening). The chords beautifully transcends and lands to the ground with that outstanding anu-pallavi melody confirming the jazziness in the song. Outstanding touch! Maestro ends the repeat pallavi with additional 'hey hey hey' beautifully, the main reason would be to give the guitar, drums its extended time of play and a also a nice way to stop it convincingly rather than abruptly to start the interludes. Wonderful thought as ever! :notworthy:

When I expected the interludes will continue on the lines of pallavi-anupallavi, Maestro takes half a second pause to get ready to authoritatively state why he is the best in business when it comes to interludes. To be honest, I never expected this kind of interlude for this kind of pallavi. Totally there is no connection between this interlude and the pallavi. Cellos gives a haunting effect followed by delightful piano with violins in the background. The biggest surprise is when electric guitar finishes the interlude in style with substance. :clap: The interlude and more importantly the last electric guitar piece takes me back to Gum Sum Gum's most celebrated second interlude effect, except that was a pure jazz interlude, this one is much more than jazz as it has classical elements too. The way cello is used in this interlude even when piano and violin are majorly playing, is one of the best I have ever heard. What a grandness and richness it gives! This is what I have been missing and expecting from others. We can clearly see how Maestro is going from strength to strength in Jazz from 80s to 90s to 2000s and into 2010s and still learning! Even when we compare Paa and this one, we can clearly see how he has gone ahead. Every piece is unique and most importantly they are not just few pieces given the amount of work he has done for the past 35 years.

Charanam gets sweeter and sweeter. First and fore-most when Yuvan starts the charnam, that loud bass punch, wow! lovely!!. Wonderful charanam melody with wonderfully written lines by Na. Muthukumar. When Ramya NSK starts singing, that's where the song gets it completeness. She has a beautiful voice. Sweetest portion of the song;

en thaayai pOla oru peNNai thEdi unai kandu kondEn, (Yuvan gets better and better! wow!)
oho, en thandhai thOzan ondraana aaNai naan kandu kondEn (wonderfully sung!)
azhagaana undhan maakOlam, adhai kEtkum endhan vaasal (again Yuvan makes it great!)
kaalam vandhu vandhu kOlam idum… (Ramya excels here!)
un kaNNai paarthaale moon jenmam pOvEnE (big surprise this line as it is never a match to the previous line's tune)
angE neeyum naanum naam (he delivers the emotion very well) I can listen to this line any number of times just for that chord progression.

I am always excited to hear how Maestro finishes the charanam and connects to pallavi. I bet no one can finish like him. Either it gets extended and extended only to stop somewhere abruptly or goes somewhere beyond reach unable to comeback or somehow manages to connect with some vague arrangements. This is one of the best strength of Maestro which is not discussed much. Maestro just needs two bars to reach to pallavi/anupallavi wherever he is coming from. Here he doesn't need that too as he connects to pallavi intelligently with zero bar, yes immediately. See how it is. When Ramya sings 'kaalam vandhu vandhu kOlam idum' it so high and you will never know the next line is actually an indirect connect to pallavi, as the next line is nothing but the anupallavi lines; 'un kaNNai paarthaale'. This is exactly the same as 'viralOdu viral pEsa'. Suddenly he drops from higher pitch to anupallavi lines with amazing ease. If you hum the line, kaalam vandhu vandhu kOlam idum, confidently we can say the next line would also be similar in the higher pitch, but Raja does a big surprise by attaching anu-pallavi tune in the next line which is way off the mark from the earlier line, but how it gets attached successfully is still a puzzle to me.

Suddenly there is a lot going on in orchestration in the charanam than in the interludes, another surprise package. To decode just this orchestration will take a life time. :smile: Piano acting as fillers for each line to give the lead to the next line and also acts as a carrier to the melody taking it safely and making sure it reaches its destination. Definitely would like to hear the orchestration without vocals. It sounds so grand, but I think he is just playing the piano.

The repeat pallavi after the first charanam has different color with grand piano compared to the starting pallavi which was having guitar. Just when the pallavi is about to end, sax takes off brilliantly. Even when the sax is playing and gradually dying off lazily, the violins and cellos at the background were played in brisk fashion producing the best counterpoint of the composition. If we need to hear the way sax plays in this interlude and how it dies down beautifully, it is not possible with two ears, we need thousands of them. First time the composition goes into rapid fire round with violins, cellos, piano and most importantly I hear the flute. :D After reaching the crescendo, it gradually dies down in diminuendo, giving way to soulful cello with a mild violin which takes my breath away. I surrender to thee. :notworthy:

Ramya starts the second charanam in ever sweet fashion and emotes extremely well, except the stylish western style singing which I am not a big fan off. Yuvan goes to greater heights with 'innum innum enna tholai dhoorathil'. The best of Yuvan in the entire song. When Yuvan sings the repeat pallavi sax mesmerizes again. The way he ends the repeat pallavi is the highlight of Yuvan's singing, when he sings 'vEru enna pEsa', pEsa is only heard in the air. Not sure if that is the expected direction/style given by Maestro or was he gasping for breath. I was :lol: when he was biting the words when singing the last 'adadaa' (:lol:). The song ends in a beautiful fashion which reminds me of broadway musical of Edaya Bagilu.

Overall I like the laid back tune and lazy singing by Yuvan and a contrast very emotive singing by Ramya. The composition goes to greater heights right from the 1st interlude and there is no return back. It peaks higher and higher as it progresses. Very breezy composition and fresh as a morning dew. Rich orchestration, a grand one that!. If we are talking about new age music, this is the one, which has all the futuristic elements blended with all the classical elements. It would be interesting to see how it was picturized. I think the song would start just when she expresses her love to him. Very romantic song appealing to today's generation. Ideally this should be an iconic song of this generation of lovers. Yet from the orchestration and the style it was composed, it brings back the lovers right from renaissance, baroque, classical to romantic to 20th century periods in front of our eyes. We can even visualize this composition as the song of lovers of future generation, it will never fade out. This is the main reason I could not decode this composition and also could not set this composition to one particular mood and to one particular period, as I see the reverse, the lovers evolve through this composition, hallmark of the genius!

jaiganes
5th September 2012, 06:43 AM
sooper... v_s golden post!!
now i have purchased NEPV frm itunes.. off to connect that darn sound bar...

groucho070
5th September 2012, 07:38 AM
V_S, lovely lovely, pAttu kEttuttE padichen, of course I had to rewind to match your post. Can't wait for your review on Pengal Enral.

V_S
5th September 2012, 07:56 AM
Thanks Jai and grouch for your valuable comments. Glad you are enjoying NEPV songs. Sure will write about all the songs.

K
5th September 2012, 07:57 AM
http://isaignanibakthan.blogspot.in/2012/09/blog-post.html

‘நாம் எல்லோரும் இங்கு வந்திருப்பது அந்த ஒரே ஒரு பெயருக்காகத்தான். அந்த ஒருவருக்காகத்தான். நான் பிரித்துப் பேசுகிறேன் என்று நினைக்கவேண்டாம். இங்கே இருப்பவர்களுக்கு (வி.ஐ.பி.க்களைக் காட்டி) அவர் ராஜா சார்..! அங்கே இருப்பவர்களுக்கு (பார்வையாளர்களைக் காட்டி) அவர் ‘இளையராஜா’... என்று கூறி, தேர்ந்த பாடகருக்குரிய Perfection
இல்லாவிடினும், ‘உன் கண்களின் ஓரம்’ சரணத்தை சுத்தமாய்ப் பாடி முடித்தார்.

தொடர்ந்து பேசிய கௌதம்மேனன், “வணக்கம்..! இப்போதெல்லாம் மைக் கிடைத்தாலே பாடத் துவங்கிவிடுகிறேன். கொஞ்ச நாட்களாக, எனக்கு Notation, Pitch, Chord இதுபோன்ற விஷயங்கள்தான் கண்களுக்குத் தெரிகின்றன. காதுகளில் கேட்கின்றன...” எனக்கூறி, அதற்குமேல் தாமதிக்காமல், இசைஞானியை மேடைக்கு அழைக்க, புயல் எழும்பியது அரங்கத்தில்.

Read the Full article from the above link

groucho070
5th September 2012, 08:06 AM
padam innum varala, rendu thread-ayum merge pannalAmA? Orey confuse. Or, temporarily lock the film thread. oh hell....

pauletteyc2
5th September 2012, 08:58 AM
After multiple listening - poondhu vilayaadiyirukkiraar manushan. definitely an album to cherish for its orchestration. It's a message to younger MDs and even if IR does 2 movies a year like this, it will keep the young MDs challenged and thinking.

Hard to pick which one tops, but ennodu (what a refreshing BGM), Kaatrai (irrespective of old lyrics) and Saindhu Saindhu are definitely among the top.

venkkiram
5th September 2012, 09:26 AM
"சாய்ந்து சாய்ந்து" பாடலை தொடர்ந்து பலரும் இங்கே பெரிதாக சிலாகித்து பேசுகிறீர்களே என்பதால் நானும் தொடர்ந்து கேட்டுப் பார்த்தேன். ஒரு மாதிரி படுசோம்பேறி பாடலாக தெரிகிறது. முக்கியமாக பல்லவியின் ராக அமைப்பு அப்படி. அதற்கும் மேல் யுவனின் குரல். ஆடத் தெரியாதவர் எப்படி ஆடுவார் என ரோபோ ஷங்கரின் ஒரு வீடியோ... அதுபோல பாடத் தெரியாதவர் எப்படி பாடுவார் என்பதை யுவனிடமிருந்து. என்னவோ தெரியல என்னால ஒட்டவே முடியல. படம் வெளிவந்த பிறகு காட்சிகளோடு பாடல் கேட்கிறேன். அதுவரை குட்பை இந்தப் பாடலுக்கு.

writeface
5th September 2012, 09:29 AM
VS, great post!

The 2nd interlude of Saaindu Saaindu just runs for 30 sec..what a sonic drama! Man, oh man! What's this guy made of!
Flesh and blood or something else!

Gokul

app_engine
5th September 2012, 09:40 AM
முக்கியமாக பல்லவியின் ராக அமைப்பு அப்படி

Detroit has this public FM (WRCJ 90.9) that has become my saraNalayam after the V98.7 smooth jazz FM got sold off...this station typically does WCM during daytime (morning drive & evening drive times are WCM virundhoos) but switches to "traditional" jazz in the evenings and run till my late nights.

In the beginning, my tastebuds could at the max take smooth jazz only (Kenny G kinds) and found it too difficult to listen to the real jazz...

I thought, let me try to "relate" this to something & see whether I can appreciate...on one evening, when waiting for the boy in parking lot, with no CD on the dashboard, I switched on 90.9 and had an opportunity to peacefully listen to unadulterated jazz (don't know what composition / which artist etc)...but appadiyE midhakkuRa feeling! Also, my ear buds felt exactly like listening to some ICM kachchEri. There's definitely some connection between these two (i.e. karnAtaka sangeetham and jazz)...

End effect : now I can enjoy 'sAyndhu sAyndhu' in a way I couldn't have appreciated sometime back - say, a year ago :-)

Not readily palatable - like 'ennOdu vA vA enRu' (which seems to be the biggest fav among masses, if one goes by the youtube hits it gets) - but tasty nevertheless...

app_engine
5th September 2012, 09:41 AM
V_Sji,
Great post on sAyndhu!
:thumbsup:

I'm glad we'll get another 7 (minimum) such posts :-)

MelHarmony
5th September 2012, 09:47 AM
can somebody please answer these question....

1. how many songs will be used in the film....All of them are rocking....it would be difficult to leave out any one
2. I can remember the last tamil film in which IR has scored 7 or 8 hit songs was Kaadhal Oviyam and Anjali.....quite a long time
3. any feedback from the orchestra on the experience on the album recording
4. I dont think GVM has decided all the singers...I can say that he wanted an urban feel to this album....thats all...Karthik, Bela and Sunidhi all already had worked with IR earlier....I dont know about NSK Ramya or Suraj...any thoughts.

app_engine
5th September 2012, 09:51 AM
1. Anjali^3
2. mottamAdi^2
3. something^2
4. vEgam^2
5. iravu nilavu
6. rAththiri nEraththil
7. vAnam namakku

Is there any other in anjali?

app_engine
5th September 2012, 09:56 AM
kAdhal Oviyam older than sindhu bhairavi (SB possibly had max number of popular songs, though many of them are short ones)...

equanimus
5th September 2012, 10:08 AM
Not an answer the ^ post, general thought: The 2nd half of Pudikkala Mamu, though off-putting has some interesting things going. Didn't like the tune at all but pinnaadi ennamo nadandhutte irukku (strumming, outrageous sax parts?...). Weakest link of the album by a distance but adhulayum edhayo vechirukkaan....The 2nd half is good-nga. It is clearly Raaja-lite (misses the signature-Raaja heavy percussion, burst of arrangements and so on), but in its little duration, it does whip the ass of 'Eththi Eththi' (which I really love!) type songs in their own game. I mean, look at the lovely closure with that guitar! The first half seems indifferently done (I dare say Raaja does just about a Harris Jeyaraj) despite some neat guitar work.

San_K
5th September 2012, 10:14 AM
possibilities of NEPV songs in the movie

1) Sainthu Sainthu - yes, it is picturised
2) Vanam mella - yes, it is picturised
3) Katrai konjam - yes, it is picturised
4) Pudikkala mamu - yes, it is picturised
5) Satru munbu - very high chances, climax song
6) Ennodu vaa vaa - yes, it is picturised
7) Pengal Endraal - ??
8) Mudhal murai - ??

IR Movies with 7/8 songs

1) IdhayaKovil - my all time favourite 8 songs (including Idhayam oru kovil 2 versions)
2) Dhalapathi - 7 songs
3) Vaideki Kathirunthaal - 7 songs
4) Rajakumarann - 7 songs
5) Mudhal mariyaathai - 8 songs

I think so many 7 songs movies but picturisation is the big Q. However in terms of total length of all songs, NEPV is very big :shock:

app_engine
5th September 2012, 10:22 AM
'ennOdu vA vA enRu' - thus far the darling of public I think.

I definitely expected it to be.

That's why the mildest beer comparison - the most accessible to any newbie drinker (including many gals per my observation)...However, not just apple juice as there are enough kuRumboos by rAsA that are not easily done by lesser composers. I've started liking the later portion more now (i.e. starting from 2nd interlude).

I guess Gautam too expects this to be a prime mover among general public - "Am lOgOn" that lap up catchy, "gospel-music" kind of easier tunes. ("pArtha mudhal nALil"?)

That's probably the reason he uses that as a catch phrase, features more in the theatrical trailer etc.

Sureshs65
5th September 2012, 10:52 AM
நீதானே என் பொன்வசந்தம் - முதல் முறை பார்த்த ஞாபகம்

"இதயத்தில் ஏனோ ஓர் பாரம் -- விழியினில் ஏனோ ஓர் ஈரம் "

இந்த இரு வரிகளிலும் அந்த "ஏனோ" ...ஆஹ்ஹா, கேட்பதற்கே என்ன சுகம் :-)

Exactly. Was going by car to attend the release function with old time hubbers Roza Vasanth and 'eagle' and it was exactly this place where all of us went 'Aaaha'. This particular line is definitely a work of genius. The anger, anguish and also the 'ekkam' and 'thuyaram'. Everything in just that 'edhoo'. Everytime I hear it, goosebumps only.

Sureshs65
5th September 2012, 10:57 AM
Suresh ji,
Excellent write-up and narration on Mudhal Murai. :clap: :clap: Bang on the mood perspective. Nice to Listen now with your write-up to rediscover the unheard territories. Fantastic this one!

Thanks V_S. Lovely post on 'Saindhu Saindhu'. Was planning one for today evening. Now thinking whether I should :lol:

app_engine
5th September 2012, 10:59 AM
Question Sureshji, does this ammaNi know Thamizh?

suththamA theriyAdhunnA I'll be :shock: :shock: -ed!

She has added a lot of value to this number...whether linguistically correct or not, I simply love those extra stresses (e.g. villllAsam for vilAsam)!

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
5th September 2012, 11:00 AM
Todays Ad!

Only Kollywood ‏@OnlyKollywood #NEP - Raja kayya vecha athu wrong-a ponadhille | Cd's Sold Out! @Actorjiiva @Samanthaprabhu2 @south_sonymusic #Maestro pic.twitter.com/igkKwI9N

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A1_wGsVCYAEwHKt.jpg:large

callmeshyam
5th September 2012, 11:04 AM
There are many places in this album where the mind automatically goes aha...

The interludes in Saindhu Saindhu - especially the second, Begining of first charanam in Ennodu va va, Starting of Mudhan Murai, the sax parts in Katrai, the whole of Vanam Mella, the prelude to Pudikkale maamu, etc etc.. and I can go on.

There were places which took me back in time. e.g. first charanam ennodu va va (bg score of appu introduction scene in Apoorva Sagotharargal), Katril Konjam (Kaadhal song in Kaadhal Kavithai), and Namma veedu pathathe (Kambu Saathiram theriyum - Thevar Magan).

Yet to hear Pengral endral, especially after the introductory posts. Will try to get my ears around this seeing some specific reviews.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
5th September 2012, 11:21 AM
http://baradwajrangan.wordpress.com/2012/09/05/bitty-ruminations-69/

Baradwaj Rangan (http://baradwajrangan.wordpress.com/)

Bitty Ruminations 69
Thoughts on "Sattru munbu" from Ilayaraja's "Neethane En Ponvasantham" soundtrack

Gregorysab
5th September 2012, 11:30 AM
Its difficult to rate these songs on a scale to assess which is the best (for me). The best barometer I can use is which are the songs I am going to, very frequently and somewhat less frequently. So the best I can do is divide the album into two tiers:

Tier 1: Kaatre Konjum, Satru Munbu, Mudhal murai, Ennodu Vaa, Pengal Endraal, Yedhi Yedhi (telugu version of Saindhu)
Tier 2: Pudhikele Mamu (1st half deserves to be in Tier-1 though), Vaanam Mella (I expect some outrage over this. Not that this song is bad. Its a breezy melody, but i find it a tad predictable, compared to all other songs above).

A winner of an album!:thumbsup:

Sureshs65
5th September 2012, 12:06 PM
Suresh
You captured the meandering ways of the tune accurately IMO, coming to think of it. Looking forward to your review of all the songs, but particularly eager about Kaatrai Konjam

Thanks. Thinking of 'Saindhu Saindhu' today and 'Kaatrai Konjam' tomorrow

Sureshs65
5th September 2012, 12:16 PM
Question Sureshji, does this ammaNi know Thamizh?

suththamA theriyAdhunnA I'll be :shock: :shock: -ed!

She has added a lot of value to this number...whether linguistically correct or not, I simply love those extra stresses (e.g. villllAsam for vilAsam)!

I think she doesn't know Tamizh but ammaNi seems to have worked on the diction. Even in a Telugu song 'chinna polike' ("Om Shanthi') she was quite good in her diction compared to the male singer, Kunal Ganjawala. Infact Aakarsh rejects this song just for Ganjawala :lol:

Bala (Karthik)
5th September 2012, 01:10 PM
The 2nd half is good-nga. It is clearly Raaja-lite (misses the signature-Raaja heavy percussion, burst of arrangements and so on), but in its little duration, it does whip the ass of 'Eththi Eththi' (which I really love!) type songs in their own game. I mean, look at the lovely closure with that guitar! The first half seems indifferently done (I dare say Raaja does just about a Harris Jeyaraj) despite some neat guitar work.
Listened one more time today. It is good indeed. The tune itself hasn't caught on yet but the music is definitely interesting. Wish the post-lude went on for a little longer

Bala (Karthik)
5th September 2012, 01:20 PM
Bela Shinde doesn't sound good in "Vaanam Mella". One gets the impression she's struggles throughout. (with Swamigal, it's only the higher octaves :razz: )

If only the charan tune was better....

Bala (Karthik)
5th September 2012, 01:31 PM
Pudikkala maame - The song really takes off after the veedhi pathaadhe (as KV posted, the words remind me of the 'Hawa hawa' song). The jamming is a mini-riot