PDA

View Full Version : Neethane En Ponvasantham | Yeto Vellipoyindhi Manasu | Assi Nabbe Poorey Sau

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10

app_engine
29th August 2012, 05:28 PM
The second interlude of kARRaikkonjam
:thumbsup:

konjam kooda longA irundhirukkalAm :-(

San_K
29th August 2012, 05:29 PM
The song is truely very good and relief from current routine songs :D

Nerd
29th August 2012, 05:32 PM
1st interlude is beautiful. The piano followed by a brief pause then the oboe(?), then karthik nEril paarththu pEsum kaadhal ooril uNdu yeraaLam. :clap:

app_engine
29th August 2012, 05:48 PM
I hope there's a prelude too, to make the song a complete meal (the sound cloud upload doesn't have one)...

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
29th August 2012, 05:49 PM
Yes, i guess its not aired at all! Appears there is great orchestrated bit in the start!

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
29th August 2012, 05:51 PM
That பபபாபபாப bit from Oboe என்னமோ பண்ணுது! ஹெவென்லீ ஃபீல்!

krish244
29th August 2012, 05:58 PM
"Kaatre Konjam" - very good song. Thanks Aakarsh for pointing out "Unnai Thedi" song. I was wondering when I heard the anupallavi part of this song.

Music/orchestration sounds wonderful. Very eager to listen to the orchestration in good quality (on CD). Charanam tune is even better (especially the way it ends - pullarikkum effect). I am even more curious to see how Gautham has picturised this song.

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
29th August 2012, 06:05 PM
Look at the way violin section plays in between when Karthik starts with "paarthu paarthu ennaalum". No words to describe the way IR squeezes the emotions! Vintage IR!

thanks,

Krishnan

MumbaiRamki
29th August 2012, 06:09 PM
Someone told that e are not worthy of - i exactly felt the same !!

krish244
29th August 2012, 06:31 PM
Look at the way the the guitar, piano and sax converse (dont know if I can call it exchange of deep emotions) with each other in the first lude! One of my long standing wish fulfilled. I am dumb struck! Only IR can give this kind of a lude!

thanks,

Krishnan

SVN
29th August 2012, 06:44 PM
Karthik does a fine job in this cool composition. The oboe portions following the vocal lines as if in conversation in the charanam connect me to Aruna Kirana from Guru.

Sureshs65
29th August 2012, 07:05 PM
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha. That has been my reaction right from the pallavi for this song. Not sure when he is going to end the vocals, when the instruments are going to take over, the sax dialog with the singing in the charanam, the sudden flight of the strings. This must be a composition of a 20yr old guy. What energy, what fun. Just check how when the singer says 'sutrum bhoomi nirkka sonnen' (want the rotating earth to stop) the brass actually mimics the rotation of the earth !!! Rajasaranam wrote some bad words on twitter since he didn't know how else to appreciate the song :) I am in the same state. Just this song is worth the CD cost.

Gregorysab
29th August 2012, 07:07 PM
If this were 1980s and Ilaiyaraaja came up with Kaatre Konjum... then it ideally would have gone to Yesudas, for a Balu Mahendra film.

app_engine
29th August 2012, 07:14 PM
If this were 1980s and Ilaiyaraaja came up with Kaatre Konjum... then it ideally would have gone to Yesudas, for a Balu Mahendra film.

The wind instrument interplay with vocals in the saraNam gives some 'uRavukaL thodarkadhai' feel, just a little pacier...

popeye11
29th August 2012, 07:21 PM
Thalaiva. Awesomeness. Overflowing Joy when listening to the charanam.

V_S
29th August 2012, 07:52 PM
Aaha aaha arputham! Pinching myself if it is real.

Chord progression throughout (additional layer of ambience) especially during pallavi. :notworthy:
Sax communication during pallavi is just heavenly. :notworthy:
At the end of pallavi the string section plays a different high taking to a different melody altogether. :notworthy:
Heavenly and magical interludes. Sax dominate first interlude and that magical pause followed by oboe. :notworthy:
The conversation of sax with vocal in charanam. :notworthy:
In the second interlude, the female choir, mesmerizing flute and sax following the choir. :notworthy:
As the charanam peaks up, sax follows it dilligently, superb.:notworthy:
Most important, beautiful tune and superb melody. Very Nice singing by Karthik. :notworthy:

This is not all, just the tip of iceberg after my first listen. Waiting to listen in Audio CD.

The amount of layering, structuring and the detail went into this composition and the care taken at every second makes me wonder that this is called a composition and others are just songs. This is what I call as composing, a composition and a composer. What an energy at 69! Does he not know the pulse of youth? Does he not know the current pulse of city life? He is always there, you guys forgot him. Your biggest miss of your life time, if you are not listening to him.

Thanks a lot RS and aakarsh for sharing. :D Day suddenly became brighter.

Sureshs65
29th August 2012, 07:58 PM
Here is the Amazon link for those who are not in india and who want NEVP for their mp3 players and iPods. Can't order now but bookmark it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0092QXPVE/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_yxIpqb15SGY7J

Nerd
29th August 2012, 08:05 PM
Oops, the soundcloud link has been removed? Any alternate link?

Kimrep
29th August 2012, 08:08 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1TvySC0Prc

KV
29th August 2012, 08:13 PM
iyyahO! Me still struck at aapis. Link thookitAngala? :cry2:
Any other sources? Will the true comrade please stand up?

KV
29th August 2012, 08:15 PM
ah! well well! nandri'nga m_d!
hope this one remains active for atleast another hour!

baroque
29th August 2012, 09:02 PM
:redjump::bluejump::redjump::bluejump:

Dreamy bgm with Sax & flute!

Karthik has done good!

HAPPY OONAM TO YOU ALL!

BEAUTIFUL!

one more solo for Karthik erukku!

Vinatha

Shankar.P
29th August 2012, 09:14 PM
This is not a review, just an early word
Melody is vintage Ilaiyaraaja - lilting, breezy and romantic. Ilaiyaraaja gives the melody an extremely dense orchestration and yet it all feels so astonishingly tender and light...

http://www.backgroundscore.com/2012/08/kaatrai-konjam-neethaanae-en-pon.html

sivasub
29th August 2012, 09:28 PM
http://www.magicalsongs.net/2012/08/kaatrai-konjam-lyrics-neethaane-en.html

Lyrics are here if you want to sing along

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
29th August 2012, 09:30 PM

http://soundcloud.com/afarr/kaatrai-konjam-promo-neethaane/s-ka0QL

marnsZet
29th August 2012, 09:33 PM
May be a more emotive SPB would have been a better choice as far as singing is concerned. What else can we say? Absolute bliss! So Am doing what everyone else does. shutting up and living with this till sunday 6 pm!

app_engine
29th August 2012, 09:46 PM
http://www.magicalsongs.net/2012/08/kaatrai-konjam-lyrics-neethaane-en.html

Lyrics are here if you want to sing along

Just functional lines.

Ofcourse, no kuzhappams.

No 'WOW' feel either (like the Thamarai ones for earlier Gautam movies).

Just OK.

Bala (Karthik)
29th August 2012, 10:32 PM
BRILLIANT, this is some seriously good shite. Every second, right till the last. Everything you would have wanted and more. I repeat, we need to pause for a second and realize what we have been listening to from this man. How can one *write* these parts, before these are played and heard?

VS Sir, :exactly: to every word

Aaha aaha arputham! Pinching myself if it is real.

Chord progression throughout (additional layer of ambience) especially during pallavi. :notworthy:
Sax communication during pallavi is just heavenly. :notworthy:
At the end of pallavi the string section plays a different high taking to a different melody altogether. :notworthy:
Heavenly and magical interludes. Sax dominate first interlude and that magical pause followed by oboe. :notworthy:
The conversation of sax with vocal in charanam. :notworthy:
In the second interlude, the female choir, mesmerizing flute and sax following the choir. :notworthy:
As the charanam peaks up, sax follows it dilligently, superb.:notworthy:
Most important, beautiful tune and superb melody. Very Nice singing by Karthik. :notworthy:

This is not all, just the tip of iceberg after my first listen. Waiting to listen in Audio CD.

The amount of layering, structuring and the detail went into this composition and the care taken at every second makes me wonder that this is called a composition and others are just songs. This is what I call as composing, a composition and a composer. What an energy at 69! Does he not know the pulse of youth? Does he not know the current pulse of city life? He is always there, you guys forgot him. Your biggest miss of your life time, if you are not listening to him.

Thanks a lot RS and aakarsh for sharing. :D Day suddenly became brighter.

And this is not even the real "final" audio quality. Vadivel's "ada pongada....."

Bala (Karthik)
29th August 2012, 10:35 PM
Genre champion engappa? Yeah, Raasaiyya paavam, ippa dhaan konjam kathukuttu, oppethitrukkaaru. Avar chemistry lab la titration experiment kooda pannala paavam :(

Bala (Karthik)
29th August 2012, 10:36 PM
Rajasaranam ayya, neer vaazhgo

Sahala :notworthy:

app_engine
29th August 2012, 10:42 PM
one more solo for Karthik erukku!

I think that'll be 'ennOdu vA vA enRu solla mAttEn, unnai vittu vERu engum pOga mAttEn', a teaser of which had been posted in youtube and already a big hit there :-)

skr
29th August 2012, 10:45 PM
Oh you drop dead gorgeous beauty !!
From where the hell did you arrive ? , you have completely smitten me and swept me off my feet ..
:bow: :bow: :bow: down to your majesty

First of all am a sucker for Shankarabaranam , yes when i started listening it sounded a bit simple but was fresh ..but as the song unfolds you are in for a sumptuous treat ..The interludes are just stunning and some melody lines creeping out of the blue are just mindblowing ..The Charanam alltogether adds a new dimension , the change of scale from E Major to C#Major and then back to the main scale is just out of the world ..and that finish where the Trumpet descends along chromatically as the melody goes along is top notch ..Absolutely stunning.

Totally bowled hook line and sincer !!!

San_K
29th August 2012, 10:50 PM
anybody want mp3 of the same soundcloud uploaded kaatrai konjam song, pm ur email me

rprasad
29th August 2012, 10:53 PM
Bala,

Exactly what i wanted to bring up after listening to this amazing composition. I mean one can understand if this was composed with the orchestra playing some chords and improvising and finally settling on something which is the way every other composer creates the music for a song. But to imagine all this in his mind and write it down and it plays out exactly the way it was in his mind is simply mindboggling to even think. Seriously this man is every bit the genius and much more. i only hope the western world also hears about this genius since he is definitely one of a kind and most importantly a genuine composer.

Bala (Karthik)
29th August 2012, 10:58 PM
This is not a review, just an early word
Melody is vintage Ilaiyaraaja - lilting, breezy and romantic. Ilaiyaraaja gives the melody an extremely dense orchestration and yet it all feels so astonishingly tender and light...

http://www.backgroundscore.com/2012/08/kaatrai-konjam-neethaanae-en-pon.html
Thanks! Suresh has given a link (http://s3.amazonaws.com/files.posterous.com/temp-2012-08-29/geqqGisadHlHBdotjsEFxElfFAkouIsbdxICGAoJxfHtkzDtzk AGJzjAIFAs/Kaatrai_Konjam_-_Prelude.mp3?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJFZAE65UYRT34AOQ&Expires=1346261509&Signature=DGyeeI274TOAL%2B%2FbVNmC7SNkrwg%3D) ^ to the prelude, which is not there in the soundcloud link. Much better quality but it's only the prelude

Sureshs65
29th August 2012, 11:06 PM
Genre champion engappa? Yeah, Raasaiyya paavam, ippa dhaan konjam kathukuttu, oppethitrukkaaru. Avar chemistry lab la titration experiment kooda pannala paavam :(

:lol: :lol:

baroque
29th August 2012, 11:30 PM
I think that'll be 'ennOdu vA vA enRu solla mAttEn, unnai vittu vERu engum pOga mAttEn', a teaser of which had been posted in youtube and already a big hit there :-)

yeah.... :)

nichayamaa.... SPB, Legend would have been breezy!
but... Karthik chellam, good job kanna! vinatha akka is proud of you!:happydance:

rajkumarc
29th August 2012, 11:35 PM
Kaatrai Konjam is stunning :notworthy: The orchestration is so rich, so fresh. There are 7 more songs and it's going to be an unbelievable (but not unexpected :smile:) treat for us.

MelHarmony
29th August 2012, 11:36 PM
http://soundcloud.com/afarr/kaatrai-konjam-promo-neethaane/s-ka0QL

simply superb!
i hope this is the "muddy recording" version BR listened. because I felt the 1st interlude could sound in a fully CD mastered version...

Sunil_M88
29th August 2012, 11:43 PM
Here's the new SoundCloud link http://soundcloud.com/afarr/kaatrai-konjam-promo-neethaane/s-ka0QL

I can't bear mono sound :banghead: can't swim through the layers.. want my CD now :rant-rant-rant-rant:

Real music will deliver, even with the absence of super quality.. @ 3:24 :statetheobviousonceagain: Colourfull interlude, a lot is going and cannot resist looping it even if it is in mono. Killer strings in the charanams... Won't put this song in the ballot yet.. 1 sep, my birthday hehe.. Thanks Gautham Ji Love you, Raaja Saab

KV
29th August 2012, 11:50 PM
69, it is often said, can be very difficult but extremely satisfying. Here's it proven. QED.

kid-glove
29th August 2012, 11:54 PM
Worst. Analogy. Ever.

Sunil_M88
30th August 2012, 12:00 AM
oh no, look out for the innuendo :lol: and in this case it wasn't worth point out :derogatory: but nice try.

KV
30th August 2012, 12:00 AM
Nearly 50 secs long is the first lude.
Close to 40 secs of musical gymnastics, followed by a solo flute and a passage on the strings section and then a sudden pause.
The god particle must surely have emanated from here.

San_K
30th August 2012, 12:03 AM
BTW the thread has crossed 100 pages even before the audio release :)

Bala (Karthik)
30th August 2012, 12:04 AM
Yes, the pause

I want to see this song being performed live. The recording. That'll be something

kid-glove
30th August 2012, 12:04 AM
That's great. Now tell us why you had to bring up 619.

kid-glove
30th August 2012, 12:05 AM
As a guess and from the track itself, is it the classicism and modernism hand-in-hand, or rather mouth-in/in-mouth, at play, as is the case with Raaja at his best?

Sunil_M88
I'm waiting for the metaphors to pour in more than the reviews themselves... will start compiling a list hehe

1 down i.e. musical gymnastics and ? to go!

KV
Worst. Analogy. Ever.

Quite possible. Never before have I tried writing something when in a state of intoxication.
Make yourself a drink, kittu. Here's a toast to the worthlessness of life. Cheers!

kid-glove
30th August 2012, 12:06 AM
I'm waiting for the metaphors to pour in more than the reviews themselves... will start compiling a list hehe

1 down i.e. musical gymnastics and ? to go!

It's a good metaphor actually. I'm just trying to understand 69. Want to discuss this with KV face to... face

San_K
30th August 2012, 12:12 AM
<dig>

Adangoyyalle avan avan passuku adichukiduraan ivanunga ippo paarthu Special Offer poduraanga

Pre-Order and get a chance to win Passes for the Grand Audio Launch Event (http://www.flipkart.com/neethaane-ponvasantham-music/p/itmdcmnxwgptfucd?pid=AVMDCMNHBRGRVVKH)

Bala (Karthik)
30th August 2012, 12:13 AM
As a guess and from the track itself, is it the classicism and modernism hand-in-hand, or rather mouth-in/in-mouth, at play, as is the case with Raaja at his best?
Doesn't quite do justice. The key question is, one is to look around to see if any contemporary song sounds like this. Or a song from the past? Maybe a part here and there reminds one of a Raaja song or three. Cliche of cliches, it's all those and yet nothing like those :razz:
Melody in such speed, a love melody that's not all mush, a touch of men-sogam adding depth, such densely packed parts through all the phrases...

San_K
30th August 2012, 12:16 AM
<dig>

Adangoyyalle avan avan passuku adichukiduraan ivanunga ippo paarthu Special Offer poduraanga

<dig>

Appo naan panna pre-order-kku pass kodunga da dei

KV
30th August 2012, 12:17 AM
Kittu, there's this dude called raasa who supposedly has been fluking his way through since 1976. He happens to be 69 years old and adamant enough to not pursue the advise of many learned folk who believe he should have hung his chappals up long back and be giving his grandson elephant rides at home.

San_K
30th August 2012, 12:19 AM
<dig>

Appo naan panna pre-order-kku pass kodunga da dei

<dig>

muthalla enakku CD anuppungada only 2 days - 20 mins before Sep 1

KV
30th August 2012, 12:22 AM
"This much we are doing" - this song only, no?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nfdNIyfA1U

kid-glove
30th August 2012, 12:23 AM
Doesn't quite do justice. The key question is, one is to look around to see if any contemporary song sounds like this. Or a song from the past? Maybe a part here and there reminds one of a Raaja song or three. Cliche of cliches, it's all those and yet nothing like those :razz:
Melody in such speed, a love melody that's not all mush, a touch of men-sogam adding depth, such densely packed parts through all the phrases...

Yeah, but I'm trying to 'get' 69 analogy here.

Also the loopy way in which the song never seems to end, and yet, it has the pause.

I haven't tried 69 yet.

San_K
30th August 2012, 12:25 AM
Yes that song only :) BTW anybody felt that "Bass konjam kammiya theriyuthu intha songla", oruvelai real CD version correcta irukkumo

Bala (Karthik)
30th August 2012, 12:29 AM
Yes that song only :) BTW anybody felt that "Bass konjam kammiya theriyuthu intha songla", oruvelai real CD version correcta irukkumo
KV/Sanjeevi
Which part of this song? :oops: (teeplight)

BTW anybody felt that "Bass konjam kammiya theriyuthu intha songla", oruvelai real CD version correcta irukkumo
Certainly San. Prelude audio ketteengala? enna difference. Andha quality la percussion and bass thella theliva thenpad(an)um

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
30th August 2012, 12:34 AM
Neethaane En Ponvasantham - Music - Audio CD (Pre-Order and get a chance to win Passes for the Grand Audio Launch Event ) (http://www.flipkart.com/neethaane-ponvasantham-music/p/itmdcmnxwgptfucd?pid=AVMDCMNHBRGRVVKH) :smile:

KV
30th August 2012, 12:36 AM
Don't know for sure, Bala, but just guessing if it could be the rhythm guitars for this song.

Bala (Karthik)
30th August 2012, 12:37 AM
Yeah, but I'm trying to 'get' 69 analogy here.

As KV has replied, Thala vayasu 69. Ooru aayiram sollum, velaikkaaha maattaar, appreciate panradhu kashtam aana reality appadiyilla....

Also the loopy way in which the song never seems to end, and yet, it has the pause.
Adhu Floyd's "The Wall" albuthukku sollalaam :razz:

Bala (Karthik)
30th August 2012, 12:42 AM
Seri, kaippilla thoonga poraan. Pinne kanaam nanbarhale....

San_K
30th August 2012, 12:43 AM
KV/Sanjeevi
Which part of this song? :oops: (teeplight)

Certainly San. Prelude audio ketteengala? enna difference. Andha quality la percussion and bass thella theliva thenpad(an)um

Ayyo naanum adhe light thaan, tunoda nalla oththupoguthunu adichu vitten, btw pallavi rthym-la varala antha bittu?

Where is the prelude? oh in the ursmusically blog? missed to check, will check now.

kid-glove
30th August 2012, 12:46 AM
Cha, verum age'a thaan mean pannaara, KaayVeee..

But still think it's quite nice analogy, the other one, positional interloop.

senthilv.com
30th August 2012, 12:48 AM

100% agree Bala.

If another composer in India came up with this kind of composition and orchestration, he would hailed as the next best thing. Since it is Raja, this is what we expect from Raja. He delivers but we all want him to break a record, take us to enlightenment or something!!

It is like Sachin hitting a century. If a new kid on the block scores a century, the kid would be spoken highly but Sachin's century is *just* another century to his collection.

To me, NEPV music (so far) definitely feels different but there is a sameness because of Raja's touch. The more we listen to it, the more we will be able to pick the uniqueness of it.

Eye brows were raised when GVM took Raja to London but they stand vindicated. Their orchestral playing definitely gives new/different vibe to Raja's score. Even I had some doubt when Raja claimed instrument players in Chennai are a dying breed and the difficulty he faces with this situation. I now agree with him 100%. This is how Raja's score should sound. Well done GVM.

Waiting for the CD now.

PS: Suresh, thanks for the prelude. Raja had me at the prelude.

kid-glove
30th August 2012, 12:48 AM
Isn't KV the man who also had 'hit the spot' filmmaker-audience analogy sometime back. This boy is good, I tell you. On face of it, it seems sloppy analogy, but then it goes deep...

V_S
30th August 2012, 01:01 AM
Kittu, there's this dude called raasa who supposedly has been fluking his way through since 1976. He happens to be 69 years old and adamant enough to not pursue the advise of many learned folk who believe he should have hung his chappals up long back and be giving his grandson elephant rides at home.

Doesn't quite do justice. The key question is, one is to look around to see if any contemporary song sounds like this. Or a song from the past? Maybe a part here and there reminds one of a Raaja song or three. Cliche of cliches, it's all those and yet nothing like those
Brilliant! Nicely put! :clap:

SoftSword
30th August 2012, 02:04 AM
overwhelming pOla...
all songs released?? any download link??

app_engine
30th August 2012, 02:25 AM
overwhelming pOla...

Only one song got aired on radio, caught and hosted by rajasaranam...there're soundcloud / youtube links in this thread if you go back a few pages (no download links). Also, there's a link in BGM Suresh's blog for just the prelude as the soundcloud link didn't have the prelude...

irir123
30th August 2012, 02:57 AM
overwhelming pOla...

yendha saare! after all the drama, you want to download NEPV songs, instead of waiting and buying the CD ?? neengaley ippadi seiyyalaamaa ?

AravindMano
30th August 2012, 04:04 AM
orE the overwhelming :clap:

To be honest - was very tensed even after much into the song - pallavi over, first interlude over, charaNam has started - yes even the pause in the first interlude didn't do the trick - but 'thaLLi thaLLi pOnAlum / unnai eNNi vAzhum Or / yEzhai indha nenjaththai pAradi' - anga surrender. I am not at all musically educated - but going with the thALam and the tune, I thought there is no space for Raaja to progress when the line was ending.. enna paNNuvAr nu orE tension, but that pAradiiiiiiiiii was brilliant I thought. adhE line la, the way the instruments punctuate the tune - whatay! Violins on their own way, oboe (?) cutting across from a random beat - sooper. After that line, faith was restored!

Lyrics - thAmarai is badly missed. Who writes தங்க மெத்தை and all these days! Shabba!

And the prelude quality is terrific - waiting to hear the rest of the song in same quality. Did anyone spot Karthik Raja's voice in that prelude?

V_S
30th August 2012, 04:43 AM
but 'thaLLi thaLLi pOnAlum / unnai eNNi vAzhum Or / yEzhai indha nenjaththai pAradi' - anga surrender.
:thumbsup: Remember in the recent GVM-IR interview on Jaya TV on Independence day? This song was not supposed to have charanam at all, it was a bit song. What a costly miss that would have been if it was like that. Big thanks for Gautham for converting it to a full song and making us experience the bliss. How many of such compositions we have missed in the past? Just the thought of this, suddenly making me remember Paartha vizhi paartha padi, Yeh kiLi irukku, Aa DinagaLu and many more. What a costly miss those were?

SoftSword
30th August 2012, 04:50 AM
yendha saare! after all the drama, you want to download NEPV songs, instead of waiting and buying the CD ?? neengaley ippadi seiyyalaamaa ?

ingalaam cd kedacha vaanga maataenaa sollurom...
i am cornered... i am helpless...

hey, thanks app...

romba early'a music postmodem nadakkudhu inga... ivlo seekkiram pirichu paen paatthutta andha inam theriyaadha freshness enjoy panna mudiyaama poidum.... so indha inch by inch review ellaam avoid panren...

Bala (Karthik)
30th August 2012, 07:32 AM
SS
Conscious-a okkaandha ezhudhanumnu illa. Paattu ketta adhuvaa peerikittu varudhu :)

Listened to it thrice on the way to work. The tight and precise melodic and rhythmic structure, with the chords throughout the song and especially towards the 2nd half of the charanams - it is as though someone (or oneself) is shouting jadhis and distributing cards (adhaan kai la thaalam)

Bala (Karthik)
30th August 2012, 07:45 AM
Well, naama ippadi pidhatrikkondirukkom, fublic reception nenacha dhaan mild doubt is getting formed already lah. Naamale pesitrundha onniyum use illa

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
30th August 2012, 07:55 AM
Bala, Full ling! -> http://soundcloud.com/mrnags/kaatrai-konjam-full-song

Btw, better don't close the window, and always hibernate, if you want to keep the song even after if it gets deleted!

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
30th August 2012, 07:57 AM
Well, naama ippadi pidhatrikkondirukkom, fublic reception nenacha dhaan mild doubt is getting formed already lah. Naamale pesitrundha onniyum use illa

tuitterla paathaa, mild reaction thaan, apart from fans like us(even opp.camp fans like ). but overall fublic, innum correct aa therila!

Nerd
30th August 2012, 08:01 AM
distributing cards (adhaan kai la thaalam)
:lol: Andha response/accompaniments volume konjam koraichirukkalaam. Anyway will wait for the CD version. But its bloody addicting. I have already started *singing* those..

Fublic response, I am not really confident w.r.to this song at least.

P_R
30th August 2012, 08:28 AM
:roll:

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
30th August 2012, 08:37 AM
:roll:

:lol: பாட்டு புடிக்கல தானே?!? பரவால்ல சொல்லுங்க, அடிக்கமாட்டோம் :lol2:

KV
30th August 2012, 09:00 AM
ippo dhaan nenachutridhren. namma inga enna dhaan 'adichaan paaruya appointment order' nu pEsikitu irundhaalum, anga TFM section la mayaana ameidhi or indifference. 'pOnga boss indha phone la enga coimbatore periyamma linE kedakka maatIngudhu' range la reaction.
makkal Oda pulse therinja kuzhandhaichaami aka p_r, unga karuththu ennEnu konjam sollunga. unselected aa?

KV
30th August 2012, 09:03 AM
orE the overwhelming :clap:

To be honest - was very tensed even after much into the song - pallavi over, first interlude over, charaNam has started - yes even the pause in the first interlude didn't do the trick - but 'thaLLi thaLLi pOnAlum / unnai eNNi vAzhum Or / yEzhai indha nenjaththai pAradi' - anga surrender. I am not at all musically educated - but going with the thALam and the tune, I thought there is no space for Raaja to progress when the line was ending.. enna paNNuvAr nu orE tension, but that pAradiiiiiiiiii was brilliant I thought. adhE line la, the way the instruments punctuate the tune - whatay! Violins on their own way, oboe (?) cutting across from a random beat - sooper. After that line, faith was restored!

Lyrics - thAmarai is badly missed. Who writes தங்க மெத்தை and all these days! Shabba!

And the prelude quality is terrific - waiting to hear the rest of the song in same quality. Did anyone spot Karthik Raja's voice in that prelude?

adhE adhE!

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
30th August 2012, 09:12 AM
ippo dhaan nenachutridhren. namma inga enna dhaan 'adichaan paaruya appointment order' nu pEsikitu irundhaalum, anga TFM section la mayaana ameidhi or indifference. 'pOnga boss indha phone la enga coimbatore periyamma linE kedakka maatIngudhu' range la reaction.
makkal Oda pulse therinja kuzhandhaichaami aka p_r, unga karuththu ennEnu konjam sollunga. unselected aa?

His opinion -> http://www.twitlonger.com/show/j3aot6

Actually, enakkum, fublic, intha song kku gaga nnu pOvaangaLaa ellaam doubt thaan. But one thing assured wrt this song it, Kaathalukku Mariyaathai levelukku hit aagalainnaalum athukku romba pakkathula nnu sollalaam. Hype Machine may/will hide the actual response(which will be good though) But periya waves undu pannaathunnu nenaikkiren, which actually was/is being expected, predicted verymuch wrt the hype/publicity.

Overall Album, kattaayam, oraLavukku impact paNNum nnum namburen, It will be felt much much beter and surely, keeping all the hypes and buildups away, this album will get response almost very close to an youth album. I would compare this to VTV. Periyavangalukku ellaam nemba pidichaapla therla but hit among (section of ) youth. Ahit at same level can be expected.

Take off E aagalai, seenda aaLillai kind of responses are surely not going to happen!

San_K
30th August 2012, 09:32 AM
ingalaam cd kedacha vaanga maataenaa sollurom...
i am cornered... i am helpless...

hey, thanks app...

romba early'a music postmodem nadakkudhu inga... ivlo seekkiram pirichu paen paatthutta andha inam theriyaadha freshness enjoy panna mudiyaama poidum.... so indha inch by inch review ellaam avoid panren...

Well said SS. But we have full five songs which we did not listen and another two songs which only two lines heard. So not a problem. nalla velai teaser and promo stopped with 3 songs

KV
30th August 2012, 09:39 AM
thanks sahala.
p_r, jagaa vAngiteengala, rightu.

P_R
30th August 2012, 10:51 AM
I listened to it a few times y'day. Was pleasant but that's about it. I didn't find it was fantastic etc.

podhuvA release-ku munnAdi, during hyper-hype pAttu kEkkuradhillai.
You guys have fun. oru reNdu maasathukku appuRam janangaL-la oruththanA kEttukkuREn.

Gregorysab
30th August 2012, 11:31 AM
Quite possible. Never before have I tried writing something when in a state of intoxication.
Make yourself a drink, kittu. Here's a toast to the worthlessness of life. Cheers!

hahahahaha!!!! :-D

Gregorysab
30th August 2012, 12:23 PM
A quick thought about Kaatre Konjum that i posted in another thread:

The charanams (that saxophone and all) give you that Balu Mahendra-Yesudas-raaja-80s combo feel.
The phrases in pallavi give you that Unnai Thedi feel
The frenzied orchestration (and instruments playing a motif repeatedly) and the scale also reminds you of that Unnikrishnan song from ajantha - yaarku yaar yendra (or something - i dont get the lyrics)

San_K
30th August 2012, 01:16 PM
Still flipkart says "Processing Expected Delivery: Will ship once released" ivanunga eppo anuppi eppo vara

BTW I (hope) rate ennodu vaa vaa above than kaatrai konjam. Raaja you prove me :)

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
30th August 2012, 02:28 PM
I called their Support line and they said, "By Sept 1st week, it will be surely delivered" Athukkulla inge Songs ai alasi kaayapOtruvaangaLE!

San_K
30th August 2012, 02:41 PM
then how can say 'free pass offer for audio launch' event. still i hope i will get on atlease Sep 1st. But if they could tomorrow only the offer will be valid or not it will be like cheating

SoftSword
30th August 2012, 03:13 PM
naanum nightu oru moonu dhabaa kaetaen... oru retro feel...
nadai nallaarunchu... aana neraya instruments nerappi vechuttangalOnu oru feel... sure its cos of the low quality version... missing thaamarai already... waitin for cds until further engagement...

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
30th August 2012, 03:14 PM
They said "Winners will be intimated by mail" Just that and nothing more. They don't know when will they consider to end it and when will they send mail(announce winners). And that is India's top most eCommerce Site!

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
30th August 2012, 03:18 PM
naanum nightu oru moonu dhabaa kaetaen... oru retro feel...
nadai nallaarunchu... aana neraya instruments nerappi vechuttangalOnu oru feel... sure its cos of the low quality version... missing thaamarai already... waitin for cds until further engagement...

Not only that, get irritated by last century styled rylics. நா.முத்துகுமார் :evil: ஏற்றிவைத்த தீபம், தங்க மெத்தை Thaanga Mudila. I thot this is one thing Menon would have got irritated but still let it as its IR's choice

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
30th August 2012, 03:20 PM
Tigits

https://o.twimg.com/1/proxy.jpg?t=FQQVBBhMaHR0cDovL2Rpc3RpbGxlcnlpbWFnZT IuaW5zdGFncmFtLmNvbS8yMmEyYzUwMGYyODYxMWUxYmJhYTIy MDAwYTFlOGIyMF83LmpwZxQCFgASAA&s=HoEm6GCmZ7RVBUDm77_ZZ5Xt2xp_4pLr2XOkPpDUxt8

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
30th August 2012, 04:15 PM
Sony Music South ‏@south_sonymusic (https://twitter.com/south_sonymusic) #NEP (https://twitter.com/search/?src=hash&q=%23NEP) audio launch will feature 55-piece symphony orchestra from London- conducted by our Isaignani Ilaiyaraaja.

KV
30th August 2012, 04:43 PM
Sony Music South ‏@south_sonymusic (https://twitter.com/south_sonymusic)#NEP (https://twitter.com/search/?src=hash&q=%23NEP) audio launch will feature 55-piece symphony orchestra from London- conducted by our Isaignani Ilaiyaraaja.

:shock: temptation spiking exponentially!

KV
30th August 2012, 04:48 PM
Another song that popped up in my head while listening to katrai konjam is kangal rendum (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3772'&lang=en) from unakkaagavE vaazhgirEn (1986), similarities being 7x8 rhythm pattern, 'loopy' tune with many glides, and nice acoustic drums. (this one's got deadly basslines too; guessing that the final cut of katrai konjam will also).

app_engine
30th August 2012, 04:50 PM
Another song that popped up in my head while listening to katrai konjam is kangal rendum (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3772'&lang=en) from unakkaagavE vaazhgirEn

Baradwaj Rangan told the same...as marriage of that song to another later number

Sunil_M88
30th August 2012, 04:50 PM
Any live telecast/streaming of the launch?

Bala (Karthik)
30th August 2012, 04:56 PM
Another song that popped up in my head while listening to katrai konjam is kangal rendum (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3772'&lang=en) from unakkaagavE vaazhgirEn (1986), similarities being 7x8 rhythm pattern, 'loopy' tune with many glides, and nice acoustic drums. (this one's got deadly basslines too; guessing that the final cut of katrai konjam will also).
BR mentioned it too, after his interview with Gautham (this and "Naal thorum" from Devadai)

KV
30th August 2012, 04:59 PM
ohho, I did read that interview, but idhu nyabagam illa. nEkku appappo lighta STML aidradhu. :oops: (@self: yEnda baalaajee...)

KV
30th August 2012, 05:10 PM
And not to forget another lovely jazzy number in 7x8 - endhukamma prEma prEma.

MumbaiRamki
30th August 2012, 05:43 PM
Baradwaj Rangan told the same...as marriage of that song to another later number

For me deva malligai poove from Nadigan , with tmpo changed

San_K
30th August 2012, 05:51 PM
And not to forget another lovely jazzy number in 7x8 - endhukamma prEma prEma.

first two lines are strikingly similar

Anban
30th August 2012, 07:08 PM
the song is brilliant in parts.. the prelude is excellent..

karthik kural ellaam kekka enakku pudikkala..

Nerd
30th August 2012, 07:33 PM
... aana neraya instruments nerappi vechuttangalOnu oru feel... sure its cos of the low quality version...

karthik kural ellaam kekka enakku pudikkala..

Karthik does not have the *presence* and that is why. I like Karthik but he sounds jaded in both the songs from NEPV. Anyway I hope the CD version is better.

Based on just kaattrai konjam, I don't think this album will be as big a hit as VTV/VA for GPM. The song is not very accessible for modern yooth.

MumbaiRamki
30th August 2012, 07:49 PM
The song is not very accessible for modern yooth.

Lets not undermine our modern youth . I know a person from my office ( 22/23) is mad abt Raaja . Media has created this buzz & perception of modern youth in Ads . But they are exposed to all world music these days and i feel they may appreciate this more .

Aside , i feel (now) the lyrics is quite apt for a person who is on a travel to search his GF - simple , without too much poetry -

rprasad
30th August 2012, 08:59 PM
I think this song is going to be more of grows on you kind of a hit. The tune is not a immediate catchy kind of a tune. You need to listen to it once or twice to get the whole song in and then each portion of the song starts getting in your head slowly and then consumes you entirely.There are so many things going on in this song it kind of takes a little time to get adjusted . Just hearing the first two lines once and stopping may not work. ITs kind of a deceptively catchy tune but needs a patient listen the first time or two. This is all just my opinion.

And also does anyone find the frenzied energy of the song similar to the Aruna Kirana song from Malayalam Guru? My wife heard this song and started singing the Aruna Kirana song immediately. It maybe has that kind of affect. Ofcourse it may be the result of repeated listenings to guru as well which we have in our car stereo.

Plum
30th August 2012, 10:02 PM
Isn't KV the man who also had 'hit the spot' filmmaker-audience analogy sometime back. This boy is good, I tell you. On face of it, it seems sloppy analogy, but then it goes deep...

This boy is good, git. Head in the right place. Heart in the right place. He'll do alright - varungaala Internet thooN :)

app_engine
30th August 2012, 10:14 PM
Speaking for myself, I liked the melody in first hear :-) I'm not that much of a 'will-grow-on-me' guy, one "short fuse" case.

Also, I've frequently posted my 'not like' for current singers, including Karthik. He may be contributing to the (intended or unintended) 'men-sOgam' here but still tolerable to me (as the assault of the wind instrument partly eclipses him).

Patienty waiting to hear in CD quality.

Plum
30th August 2012, 10:44 PM
CD release paNNattumyA. ippOvE edhukku ticket vAnguRInga? nAnum pAkkaREn - nemba overA thAn pOikittirukku...indha twitter behaviourlAm ippO namakkedhukku?

AravindMano
31st August 2012, 07:02 AM
CD release paNNattumyA. ippOvE edhukku ticket vAnguRInga? nAnum pAkkaREn - nemba overA thAn pOikittirukku...indha twitter behaviourlAm ippO namakkedhukku?

aaang.

AravindMano
31st August 2012, 07:23 AM
MP3 link up on Amazon US as well. 8$. Out on Saturday.

http://goo.gl/lvNnb

Nerd
31st August 2012, 07:44 AM

I have been refreshing this and the UK page every 30 mins or so to see if the sample play button appears, but idhu varaikkin varalai.. Hopefully tomorrow.

AravindMano
31st August 2012, 07:49 AM
ha ha, nAnum. :D IST saturday time layE vandhudumnum oru nambikka

Bala (Karthik)
31st August 2012, 07:58 AM
Pugazhchiya solrela illa igazhchiya (no public response) illa renduma? :auu:

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
31st August 2012, 08:17 AM

Superb! So, there is no need to ship CDs to US right?! And Mano where is it mentioned as $8 ? Or is it any standard price?

K
31st August 2012, 08:50 AM
And also does anyone find the frenzied energy of the song similar to the Aruna Kirana song from Malayalam Guru?.

Same Feeling here too.

BerniceBuc
31st August 2012, 12:12 PM
Hi, I am new to this forum and joined yesterday. But i have been reading the posts since last few days.

It looks like we expected the NEP songs in line with VTV with IR style. Becasue many members here seems to be frustrated with songs (though not saying openely). If IR has provided the song with AR or Harris style, then it wont be a ever green album and you wont be able to listen it to after two years or maximum 5 years. I guess this album will be heard like any other 80's albums. It takes some time to grow within for IR albums. Please patience and keep the mind open and listen it like you listen any classical music. Do not worry about commercial hit as it will be taken care by the producers. You are getting world class music for mere 100 bucks. Enjoy it and kondadu un manathirkul. If you do not find it good, then do not listen and try to listen VTV again.

K
31st August 2012, 12:24 PM
Hi, I am new to this forum and joined yesterday. But i have been reading the posts since last few days.

It looks like we expected the NEP songs in line with VTV with IR style. Becasue many members here seems to be frustrated with songs (though not saying openely). If IR has provided the song with AR or Harris style, then it wont be a ever green album and you wont be able to listen it to after two years or maximum 5 years. I guess this album will be heard like any other 80's albums. It takes some time to grow within for IR albums. Please patience and keep the mind open and listen it like you listen any classical music. Do not worry about commercial hit as it will be taken care by the producers. You are getting world class music for mere 100 bucks. Enjoy it and kondadu un manathirkul. If you do not find it good, then do not listen and try to listen VTV again.

100% Agree.

AravindMano
31st August 2012, 05:23 PM
Superb! So, there is no need to ship CDs to US right?! And Mano where is it mentioned as $8 ? Or is it any standard price?

Not listed here. But when I searched for the album it showed up the price. Generally they put a maximum of a dollar price on one song.

Nerd
31st August 2012, 05:34 PM
Well, 7.92 on the search page - http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=neethaane+en

I think amazon mp3s are 192 kbps too and if you want to *upgrade* to 256kbps they d want extra money. Even if the mp3 is 320kbps (max you can do with that format), nothing beats the CD quality.

I am hoping at least by UK time midnight, the album becomes available, but UK amazon won't let US buyers to buy :think:

BerniceBuc
31st August 2012, 07:56 PM
Listen "Pudikkale Mamu" here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHFRJd9bAyA

teja
31st August 2012, 08:01 PM
Listen "Pudikkale Mamu" here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHFRJd9bAyA

This is *fake*. It's from a private album "Colors of love" by some one called Raghuram. It has been discussed in this forum many times before. Stop spreading false leaks.

Nerd
31st August 2012, 08:02 PM
:banghead: And you talk about people having ulterior motives, not saying opnely it seems.

Have to blame myself for opening that link.

app_engine
31st August 2012, 08:34 PM
It takes some time to grow within for IR albums.

Not in my case :-)

And I've been listening to rAsA for 35+ years :-)

It's possible the "appreciation level grows" over a period of time (picking intricate neLivu suLivu) but the question of "liking or not" happens in the FIRST listen 99.9% of the times :-)

layman10
31st August 2012, 09:02 PM
http://www.backgroundscore.com/2012/08/kaatrai-konjam-neethaanae-en-pon.html?m=1 HQ kaatrai konjam version.

popeye11
31st August 2012, 09:44 PM
http://www.backgroundscore.com/2012/08/kaatrai-konjam-neethaanae-en-pon.html?m=1 HQ kaatrai konjam version.

Thank you Sir!!

Sounds Fantastic..

Plum
31st August 2012, 09:45 PM
Pugazhchiya solrela illa igazhchiya (no public response) illa renduma? :auu:

reNdaiyum dhAn.

Anban
31st August 2012, 11:11 PM
Not in my case :-)

And I've been listening to rAsA for 35+ years :-)

It's possible the "appreciation level grows" over a period of time (picking intricate neLivu suLivu) but the question of "liking or not" happens in the FIRST listen 99.9% of the times :-)

Bang on .. :yes:

MelHarmony
31st August 2012, 11:19 PM

this one sounds great..though rythm pattern resembles aruna kirana, not a lot of similarities.....great work...will be even great when played live....

layman10
31st August 2012, 11:36 PM
http://www.flipkart.com/neethaane-en-ponvasantham/p/itmdcwzwxpdfzvtr?pid=DGADCWYGZUED7PAH

Songs are all real deal folks..

San_K
31st August 2012, 11:37 PM
All songs samples and Buy Originals here (http://www.flipkart.com/neethaane-en-ponvasantham/p/itmdcwzwxpdfzvtr?pid=DGADCWYGZUED7PAH)

My pick is ennodu vaa vaa, a stunner for me and many songs :D

Nerd
31st August 2012, 11:54 PM
Can people outside India buy mp3s from flipkart?

I am hoping their quality >> amazon's.

Gregorysab
31st August 2012, 11:57 PM
And here is the Telugu version: http://www.flipkart.com/yeto-vellipoyindhi-manasu/p/itmdcwzskk9uwuxj?pid=DGADCWYGFDTQQJEB&ref=97d2ec2b-d948-4c62-b742-32134fad1859

V_S
31st August 2012, 11:57 PM
Language:Hindi (http://www.flipkart.com/mp3-downloads/albums/hindi-language) :lol:

layman10
1st September 2012, 12:00 AM

SRR was 250Kpbs VBR on amazon. Probably this will be same.

Can anyone post the flipkart's mp3 bitrate?.

San_K
1st September 2012, 12:02 AM

Buy by a person from india and he/she will send you the mp3 :). But wondering you can not get them technically?

p
1st September 2012, 12:05 AM
when Sunidhi goes "nee thaane en pon vasantham"..:) super...now a new way to sing the original classic line

Nerd
1st September 2012, 12:06 AM
Flipkart is 320 KBPS.

When I tried to buy I get this - Sorry, digital downloads is not available in your country yet.
At the moment, the purchase and downloads of digital items is restricted to India only. Hence, we cannot process your order. We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Anyway one of my friends is vacationing in India now, have asked him to get the CD, he is leaving tomorrow, hoping the CD hits the stores by tomorrow..

San_K
1st September 2012, 12:13 AM
ok. i am not sure it will be available in shops tomorrow. Even the pre-order CDs I (hope) will get tom EOD after did a fight with flipkart fellows

Gregorysab
1st September 2012, 12:17 AM
I canceled my tamil version pre-order and bought the songs on flyte. I will be buying the cd in Telugu version later.

AravindMano
1st September 2012, 01:47 AM
Songs are on YouTube and all. :shock:

Just heard Mudhan Murai. "Nee thaanE endhan ponvasantham.." is such a lovely lovely lovely outburst. CD eppO varumO. :(

AravindMano
1st September 2012, 02:13 AM
KV perusA edhO type paNNikinE irukkAr

V_S
1st September 2012, 02:49 AM
Sony/flipkart could have waited till the audio launch in the evening. We waited so long, one more day should not matter. Also, it is unbelievable and shocking to hear the music spread like wild fire all over the net even before the official launch. Even if it is good popularity-wise, somewhat I feel Maestro's hard-work, especially for a project like this should have been properly channelized.

layman10
1st September 2012, 03:09 AM
Sony/flipkart could have waited till the audio launch in the evening. We waited so long, one more day should not matter. Also, it is unbelievable and shocking to hear the music spread like wild fire all over the net even before the official launch. Even if it is good popularity-wise, somewhat I feel Maestro's hard-work, especially for a project like this should have been properly channelized.

Either it will take days or weeks, or too soon!..:(

app_engine
1st September 2012, 03:53 AM
I read in TF section that the flipkart audio quality is poor...is that really by Sony or some other agent?

app_engine
1st September 2012, 03:54 AM
BTW, amazon.com hasn't started the sale yet - neither there are samples.

Sunil_M88
1st September 2012, 04:00 AM
Vaanam Mella a.k.a Thendral Vanthu 2.0

V_S Sir, lol you should know that I'm have come running to you for a favour. I haven't finished the song, in fact just started it but already need to get this off my chest... IR duet page has been quiet, would be great if you resume the liveliness with this number. At your own time :wink wink nudge nudge:

p
1st September 2012, 04:14 AM
All the interludes in all songs! Heaven O Heaven!! and special mention to the kuthu inside "pudikala maamu" :)

Nerd
1st September 2012, 04:48 AM
Songs are on YouTube and all. :shock:

Just heard Mudhan Murai. "Nee thaanE endhan ponvasantham.." is such a lovely lovely lovely outburst. CD eppO varumO. :(
My favorite song after one round of listening. The ludes in all the songs are stunning, well so typical of Raaja. Haven't warmed up to pudikkale maamu and that Yuvan number.

Both the female solos are stunning. Whoa! :shock:

As I mentioned earlier, indhaaLukku vayasu 69-aa? more like 29..

teja
1st September 2012, 04:58 AM
We gotto come up with a new word to describe these songs. Can't think of any word in English that would justify this bliss in the form of music!

Caution: If you'd like to listen to the whole album, make sure you get to "Vaanam Mella" at the end. Because if you trip on that song, you'll end up listening to it in a loop ... for a very long time. Guaranteed :)

AravindMano
1st September 2012, 05:00 AM
My favorite song after one round of listening. The ludes in all the songs are stunning, well so typical of Raaja. Haven't warmed up to pudikkale maamu and that Yuvan number.

Both the female solos are stunning. Whoa! :shock:

As I mentioned earlier, indhaaLukku vayasu 69-aa? more like 29..

Yes! I liked it instantly. maththa pAttu, still very doubtful about downloading. vERa vazhi illa pOla.

Sunil_M88
1st September 2012, 05:05 AM
Vaanam Mella

Be it the school playground or an enchanting realm that we often see in any Disney movie, this song or journey is a trail up to the skies or a castle in the land of the fairies and we don’t need to wait to see the ever gracious king as he is already present in front of us with his ever mellifluous and heavenly voice.

I’ve been listening to a lot of work by Adrian Von Ziegler, whose compositions are mainly Celtic and Gothic orchestral works. I usually am in a different world when I hear such songs. Who needs drugs to get an all time high? My drug is music and I’ve iterated many times that the Celtic folk music genre especially harp, strings, flutes etc. will reach the right target site quicker than any medication. Raaja Saab is the only MD that has experimented with this genre to the fullest in IFM and has excelled so far in this field that even folklores should be redefined.

Prelude is divinely inspirational. No Synth, pure bliss and pure music! No need to worry about the intricacies, enjoy and please do not get lost in the song forever :lol: though it is possible.

Is laughter the best medicine? No! Music is! :bow:

Good night :wave:

AravindMano
1st September 2012, 05:24 AM
Amazon.co.uk samples suck.

AravindMano
1st September 2012, 06:12 AM
One round done. moochu vAngudhu. Everything except Pengal Endraal impressed. avasaramA ezhudhi oNNiyum aagap pORadhilla.

felt the voice level is a bit low in few songs.

this is going to be a very important soundtrack peopulz!

app_engine
1st September 2012, 06:23 AM
That sound teaser released earlier is given as sample for 'pudikkala mAmu' :oops:

So, even that song will become a favourite :-)

AravindMano
1st September 2012, 06:57 AM
Why This Bela Shinde. Y NO SHREYA GHOSHAL?! Free-yAvE pAdikkuduththuruppAnga.

Shank
1st September 2012, 07:26 AM
Just one word....mind blowing!! Besides the ones we have already heard, I loved the Raja duet...what a mesmerizing tune and progression.

AravindMano
1st September 2012, 07:28 AM
There is an FB page for Saindhu Saindhu. #ok

https://www.facebook.com/SaindhuSaindhu

app_engine
1st September 2012, 07:46 AM
muthal muRai NEPV - too much excitment :shock:

It must be many years since I felt this high hearing a new number!

Nerd
1st September 2012, 07:48 AM
Pudikkala maamaavum pudichiruchu. Yuvan solo mattum dhaan konjam..

Remarkable, landmark album this. Yeah better this kiddos, beating you all in your territory :bow:

app_engine
1st September 2012, 07:48 AM
Movie'kku sila pala tickets parcel please :-)

(Hope they release in the metro Detroit area :oops:)

AravindMano
1st September 2012, 07:50 AM
Pudikkala maamaavum pudichiruchu. Yuvan solo mattum dhaan konjam..

Remarkable, landmark album this. Yeah better this kiddos, beating you all in your territory :bow:

adhu mattum dhAn, adhu mattum dhAn..

Muthukkumar has done a good job actually.

kr
1st September 2012, 07:59 AM
I may be in a minoriy but I thought Yuvans solo is great - what guitar work and a brilliant tune...pls. give it a try...Also I think Yuvan has resung the Saindhu song from the one that was released a trailer... it looks much cleaner

app_engine
1st September 2012, 08:23 AM
rAsA special interludes - that is exclusive rAsA special, guru-like interludes - for 'saRRu munbu'!

:thumbsup:

raja_fan
1st September 2012, 09:00 AM
This album is 100% hit !

Katrai Konjam, Mudhan murai, Sayndhu sayndhu are going to blast.

Vanam mella - I think the tune-lyrics go mismatch somewhere..and IR's strained voice of his age..This could have been better with some other singer. But who knows..IR's voice has it's own magic.

Pudikale mamu - Sorry ! disappoints except the preludes...The tune seems to not suit the times..the lyrics is even more bad...who hears teenage, college, ticketu, bucketu these days..? I do not know why Gowtham came up with such a situation which is not common in his films..

Overall, Na.Muthukumar has failed - Many words outdated - Mayam, kayam etc repeated in more than one song..he lacks vocabulary I think..

venkkiram
1st September 2012, 09:55 AM
நீதானே என் பொன்வசந்தம்!

என்னோடு வா வா என்று சொல்லமாட்டேன் - கார்த்திக் குரலில் அழகான மெலடி. :notworthy: "சற்று முன்பு பார்த்த மேகம்.." - ரம்யா - சரணம் பல்லவியோடு இணையும் அழகு! ராஜாவின் முத்திரை.:notworthy: "வானம் மெல்ல.." பல்லவியை முடிக்கும் விதம் புதுமை. ராஜாவின் உருவாக்கங்களில் நான் இதுவரை காணாத ஒன்று. அந்த துரிதப் போக்கு புருவங்களை உயர்த்தியது. முதல்முறை பார்த்த ஞாபகம் - சுனிதி குரலில் காணப்படும் உயிர்ப்பு பிரமாதம். முதல்(ஒரே) இடையிசை முதல் முறை கேட்டவுடனையே பதிந்து விட்டது.:notworthy:

ஒரே வரியில் சொல்லனும்னா அதகளம். யானை ஒன்று மலையுச்சியில் நிற்கும் பாறையில் மீதேறி முன்னிரு கால்களையும் தூக்கி வானை நோக்கி பிளிறுவதுபோல ஒரு இசை ஆளுமை! இவ்வளவு நாள் தேக்கி வைச்சிருந்த இசை வாசனையை இந்தப் பாடல்களின் மூலம் அருவி நீரில் கலந்து விட்டு நம்மையெல்லாம் நனைத்து விட்டுவிட்டார் ராஜா. பாடல்கள் எல்லாவற்றையும் கேட்டு முடித்து ஹெட் ஃபோனை கழட்டிய பிறகும் பின்னணி இசை காதில் ரீங்கார மிட்டுக்கொண்டே இருக்கிறது.

:clap: முழுக்க முழுக்க மேற்கத்திய இசை. ஒரு இசை நூலகமாக வைத்து போற்றப்பட வேண்டிய ஒன்று.

BerniceBuc
1st September 2012, 10:22 AM
This is *fake*. It's from a private album "Colors of love" by some one called Raghuram. It has been discussed in this forum many times before. Stop spreading false leaks.

Sorry for the wrong post. I was not aware that this is fake.

baroque
1st September 2012, 10:26 AM
super guys... you are all enthu!
Can't wait to buy my own CD, enjoy!:musicsmile:

Ilayaraja kudumbathikku vandhu serndha GVM kku THANK YOU!
காற்றை கொஞ்சம் நிற்க சொன்னேன்....:musicsmile:

kokarako
1st September 2012, 10:38 AM
The songs are very much hyped. I do not have any musical background, but listener of TFM for the past 25 years. Except Sainthu Sainthu, Kaatrai Konjam & Ennoda Vaa Vaa (to some extent mudhal murai), other songs do not impress. Expected a rocking album. GVM-IR combo failed to live up to the expectation.

Gregorysab
1st September 2012, 10:45 AM
Its a mixed bag for me. Loved some a lot. Some are ok while some are not that impressive!

In the not-so-impressive ones, I feel its the orchestration that is luring more rather than tune/meody. I agree Raaja has come up wth sweeping orchestration. But the melody magic that this there in few songs in missing in other few. (Opinion based on 3 listenings).

senthilv.com
1st September 2012, 11:08 AM
My first Impressions: Part I

1. Sattru Munbu

Old fashioned start but rest of the song is full of fresh touch. The sad loss-filled singing followed by heavy strings is simple but extremely effective. The heavy strings push the sadness spectrum so far out that it almost works as a contrast to the main tune. Great conception.

Probably the best emotional singing in the album. Although on high pitch Ramya's voice becomes thin her new voice and emotion compensates for it. This will be the underrated gem of all the songs.

2. Mudhal Murai

Out of of blocks like Usain Bolt and stays like that until the finish line. The way songs builds and lands on "Nee thaane en pon vasantham" is surprising and superlative. The song is so good it feels like Raja just plucked it out from another musical land. So many great musical moments. Best lyrics of album.

3. Vaanam Mella

Great prelude! Raja channeling Celtic feel is heavenly.

Raja's voice goes well with the song and the feel. The way pallavi ends with the word "tharunam" seems out of pitch? Don't know how lyricist can end the pallavi with word like "tharunam" for that type of notes landing! Lazy lyric writing. Bela Shende sings well but emotionality is less compared to Raja. The conversation at the end of saranam between strings and voice is just pure Raja. It is amazing how all the instruments playing different notes evoke the same type of feeling throughout the song.

4. Yennodu Vaa Vaa

Great beginning. The way catchy pallavi climaxes is so good. The interludes touches different mood compared to tune. Only guess is, it matches the film situation. The musical touch at the Pallavi is intoxicating, I was expecting that touch throughout the song, but Raja charts a different course and drops that touch when Pallavi repeats. It could be as simple intensifying the song for situational reasons. A breezy, sweet & lovely song without too much sugar.

Part II soon.

teja
1st September 2012, 11:17 AM
GVM-IR combo failed to live up to the expectation.

Failed??? Surprised to see some one writing it off so easily, this fast! I think this is a knee-jerk reaction.

app_engine
1st September 2012, 11:35 AM
mudhal muRai pArtha gnAbakam - already in the league of ninnukkOri in my books :-)

nal varavu Sunithi!

innum niRaiya rAsa isaiyil pAda vAzhththukaL!

vAzhga Gautam!

sivasub
1st September 2012, 11:36 AM
For me it's Karthik and Karthik all the way to the finish line... now the question is which among the two is the winner!!!

Liked Sunidhi (for a change) a lot. Liked her diction and stress...

Sattru munbu is very good, but has traces of TIS in it... not sure if anyone had the same feeling

Did not move further in listening to songs yet.

rajkumarc
1st September 2012, 11:54 AM
2nd time listening in progress. Scintillating album to say the least and it does meets and beats the high expectations and hype surrounding its release. Almost all songs impressed me completely in the first listen. The whole album is going to be in the loop for a while and I don't think I will listen to any other music for the next few days :smile: Good that it's a long weekend here and I can get drowned in the music and read reviews from the hubbers.

dochu
1st September 2012, 12:02 PM
Vaanam mella is my top pick and next is ennoda vaa vaa.

Saindhu really got wasted with singer choice.

Pengal endral/pudicala mamu definetely lowest in my rating - or more explicitly, not in the rating at all.
Pudicala mamu had the wonderful teaser starting material - but it shows that IR is in time wrap when setting college type music. Anyways I am too old to like such songs. On top of that, GVM is still in a time wrap to wring out such a situation for IR to tune.

I am not a music critic or something, as a layman I agree orchestration (to me music) sounds different, but not sure if there was a necessity for using an orchestra group from abroad. I had high expectations of using much more elaborate instruments.

I am sure BGM wise, IR would have done his magic.

except for few, other songs will be a tough sell.

Hulkster
1st September 2012, 12:11 PM
I may be in a minoriy but I thought Yuvans solo is great - what guitar work and a brilliant tune...pls. give it a try...Also I think Yuvan has resung the Saindhu song from the one that was released a trailer... it looks much cleaner

You ain't the only one. I didn't like the starting part of how Yuvan sung but the tune and guitar work is certainly brilliant. The guitar work in the first interlude of pudikala maamu is another amazing piece.

rajkumarc
1st September 2012, 12:20 PM
You ain't the only one. I didn't like the starting part of how Yuvan sung but the tune and guitar work is certainly brilliant. The guitar work in the first interlude of pudikala maamu is another amazing piece.
I liked Yuvan's singing in both of the songs. Pengal Endraal sounds like a proper rock ballad especially with the stunning orchestration and Yuvan's voice feels apt for that song.

ajaybaskar
1st September 2012, 12:45 PM
Kaatrai konjam and Ennodu Vaa Vaa are my picks. On loop from the morning. :clap:

Other songs.. Not much impressed. Let me give them some more time.

San_K
1st September 2012, 02:22 PM
awesome Flipkart delivery and received my CDs just now and listening :musicsmile:

CD has awesome quality :superb:

app_engine wov probably this album in Akni Natchathram range

senthilv.com
1st September 2012, 02:48 PM
First impressions: Part II

5. Kaatrai Konjam

Love the prelude. The tune has a retro touch and slightly predictable flow but paradoxically feels fresh and addictive. Great orchestration from beginning to end. The instruments talk to each other, intertwine and help each other go on a journey. The repetitions of pallavi at the end has nice additional orchestration. Karthik has sung well but at the end of saranam his voice gets bit drowned by orchestration. Overall, a smooth composition by Raja.

6. Pengal Yendral

Song fits Yuvan and sung well by him. Raja blasts feeling of anguish using electric guitar (no strings in this song) May not get as popular as other songs but Raja breaks some new ground here. The progression of the whole song is totally unpredictable, just when you think the pallavi is going to end, it hits a new progression.

Every time the song goes around and lands on the word "kathaadi" it adds value. Probably the song would average without that particular passage -- "Enna solli... enna penne... nenjam oru kathaadi" (Master class for new composers!) Saranam is done really well and orchestrated. The middle portion of the song has some great progression.

Totally a situational song but stands on it's own leg.

7. Pudikale Maamu

Great prelude and interlude. Totally new. But rest of song the just the opposite. Disconnection from current college reality. Lyrics is a big fail here. In the middle, the song morphs into kuthu paatu, with playful orchestra fueling retro raja right till the end. The ending dialogue between singing and instrument is super. Amazing and ordinary co-exists in this song.

8. Saindhu Saindhu,

Hummable hit. Melodious all the way through the song and evokes a great feeling in saranam. Yuvan singing is weak but gets better in the saranam. Orchestration is top class. First interlude shows Raja's new orchestral touch and conception. Just very fresh, surprising and moving. Anything like this interlude from Raja I could listen to it forever. One of top moments in the album.

Still, waiting for the '"alternate" version of this track that GVM wanted to release!

-- -- --

Overall Raja excels. Orchestral guys keep pace with him. Singers lag a bit behind. Last comes lyrics. The voice of singers could have been a tad bit more in the forefront of instruments.

Saindhu Saindhu, Kaatrai Konjam, Yennodu Vaa Vaa & Vaanam Mela are strong Raja melodies wrapped with fresh orchestral treatment. I assume more people will like these songs. IMO, Sattru Munbu, Mudhal Murai, Pengal Yendral and Pudikale Maamu are new type of Raja songs....will probably be less appreciated or catch fire slowly.

Anyway, It would be unfair to call this "new" Raja or Raja 2.0 or term it is a comeback. He just shows he has lot of music left in him. It is up to directors to extract music out of him.

GVM gave him opportunity to explore and Raja has hit new territories and also feels home there. One of Raja's best in recent times.

San_K
1st September 2012, 02:51 PM
I see My Dear Maarthaandan raaja in Pudikkala maamu song. Dont miss it :)

San_K
1st September 2012, 02:55 PM
senthilv.com nice review :clap:

Anyway, It would be unfair to call this "new" Raja or Raja 2.0 or term it is a comeback. He just shows he has lot of music left in him. It is up to directors to extract music out of him.

well said. but raja 2.0 or 1.1 or even 1.01 is enough to enjoy,

kj
1st September 2012, 03:06 PM
After a looooong time an album (irrespective of the composer/genre/language) in which I throughly liked and enjoyed most of the tracks. Stupendous orchestration in the long interludes in all songs.

Hulkster
1st September 2012, 04:59 PM
Pengal Endraal sounds like a proper rock ballad especially with the stunning orchestration and Yuvan's voice feels apt for that song.

You are right about it being a proper rock ballad. It is even more unremarkable when you consider the way he moulds the song. No matter what genre or instrument he uses, he has this composing technique which cannot be traced to anywhere but to only him.

uv
1st September 2012, 05:17 PM
Neethane En Ponvasantham - Sri Illayaraja=இசையின் ராஜா. A true composer indeed. Symphony makes love with Indian melody and plays along with it on the streets of bourbon. That's how I felt after listening to the album. Simply amazing.

Fliflo
1st September 2012, 05:28 PM
Flipkart link does not work any more. Any idea?

Nerd
1st September 2012, 06:21 PM
Bela Shinde has gotten the 'ள' right :shock: Her thin voice does not gel with Raaja's soul voice. ShreyaG or Chitra should have sung that. But whatASong :bow:

Fliflo
1st September 2012, 06:29 PM
Reviews started flowing in even before the album release

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/85570.html

Sunil_M88
1st September 2012, 08:28 PM
I don’t consider music director(s) “MD” as a benchmark, I consider songs as a benchmark and because a MD = A has delivered more hits compared to the other MDs = B, C, D, etc. then it’s automatic that B, C, D, etc. will be ignored! Unfair :huh:

A hit song is one which spreads like a virus and can be considered opium for the masses. Now we all have our different viewpoints and my definition of a hit song is something that gets all my senses engaged.

I think it is foolish to be biased to a specific MD because of their past hits. An unknown composer will only release a single in his lifetime and go in hibernation and if this song becomes a hit then it is the song that becomes the benchmark not the composer. Mediocre MDs will occasionally release that one life changing song but because their other material is usually lost somewhere in the ditches, the biased aficionado won’t give the mediocre MD’s song a chance! Unfair :huh:
Word of mouth is the only hope mediocre MDs have but sometimes it’s too late as fanboys will start slating, meaning not having constructive criticisms but going on foul digressions.

To sum it up, MDs should not be considered Gold or Iron... it is songs that should be considered Gold or Iron.

Before coming to my take on NEPV, I would like to express where I stand with “Isaignani”. He has a Gold status because of his songs/hits but to be biased towards him is turning you to naivety. Open your ears and I’m not asking you let go of your favourite MD but there is beautiful songs pouring from every direction and because of ignorance certain gems are washed to the side.

For e.g. Ismail Darbar has landed in a blunder but most of his songs are very memorable even today therefore his songs are Gold and not him. Don’t judge a MD, judge their music... That’s all I’m saying!!!

First impressions of NEPV based on ignoring Raaja Saabs and GVMs previous material.

Vaanam Mella won’t even let me move an inch to the other songs, so is this Gold and the rest of the songs, Iron? When I heard this song, I was getting thoughts like no other song can beat this number in the album. After regaining consciousness, being calm and composed I moved to the next numbers.

I heard the album once and Vaanam Mella ascended the most. Thoughts on other songs at that time were:

Kaatrai Konjam – 2nd interlude is the sole highlight of the song.
Yennodu Vaa Vaa – Song belongs to karthik IMO. Charanams have a gargantuan soothing impact. The shift between the 2nd interlude and 2nd charanam is a rollercoaster ride from the world of electronic rock to the orchestral world.
Sattru Munbu – Couldn’t get to grips with this on first hearing but deep down felt there’s a dark horse nature in this song. The Anglo-Indian Voice modulation is something I’m a sucker of off late.
Mudhal Murai – Was too dense for me to digest. Overshadowing orchestration!
Pudikale Maamu – The already familiar interlude made me jump up with joy hehe Excluding the tipsy voice(s), the rest of the song had nothing going for it. Raaja Saab would’ve been apt from this song!
Pengal Yendral – Seems like another dark horse. The part where Yuvan sings “Madhi ketta yen niram, manam nondha sonnadho. Mara nathai pol indhu, pen ival indrudhu.” Completely melted my heart. (Sorry for the typo)
Saayndhu Saayndhu – Thought this will be favourite song but as always expectations create disappointments. Underwhelming on first hearing!

If this was Raaja Saabs debut and ignoring slow poison notion, it’s best to say it’s a mixed bag but because we have warmed up to Raaja Saab over the decades then I’ll also express my feelings as fanboy too.

There have been numerous teen/college flicks that we have grown up watching and listening too. What makes this different? Orchestration! We should consider ourselves very fortunate that Raaja Saab has gone full on with a grand orchestration for repeatedly tested script formula of college romance. Is it a life changing album for me? Yes, yes and yes!

2nd hearing is more than a punch in the face. Mudhal Murai becomes the most hummable song, followed by Saayndhu Saayndhu which is overwhelming with equally overwhelming interludes. The other songs engulf you; drench you with love and leaving you soaking on end. Raja turns the game around and delivers a complete rock ballad with Pengal yendral, which is unlike anything to come out of his repertoire. But I feel I still haven’t warmed up to Pudikale Maamu.

There’s nostalgia and there’s moderness too... The orchestral highs are enough to change sound of TFM.

After all, even Google translator accepts that “Isaignani” translates to “Ilaiyaraaja” and not “A man with great knowledge in music” because Ilaiyaraaja is an individual that is greater than a man with a great knowledge in music.

Happy listening :musicsmile:

rajkumarc
1st September 2012, 08:31 PM
You are right about it being a proper rock ballad. It is even more unremarkable when you consider the way he moulds the song. No matter what genre or instrument he uses, he has this composing technique which cannot be traced to anywhere but to only him.
:exactly: love the guitar work in that song.

Mudhal Murai is simply an outstanding composition. The electric guitar riffs (is it??) after each line in the pallavi is god awesome. Amazing rendition by Sunidhi.

Vaanam Mella is sounding heavenly, what a beautiful and soothing composition. This album is more addictive than I could have imagined, IR - GVM :notworthy:

Nice review there Sunil :thumbsup:

Nerd
1st September 2012, 08:33 PM
Bela Shinde has gotten the 'ள' right :shock: Her thin voice does not gel with Raaja's soul voice. ShreyaG or Chitra should have sung that. But whatASong :bow:
There is a repeated portion on both the interludes which sounds so much like mella oornthu oornthu. Wonder how that song would have been if it had been recorded in London, or at least with a real piano instead of the synth.

layman10
1st September 2012, 08:37 PM
There is a repeated portion on both the interludes which sounds so much like mella oornthu oornthu. Wonder how that song would have been if it had been recorded in London, or at least with a real piano instead of the synth.

FYI.. Nerd, ITunes also has it for download now.

Nerd
1st September 2012, 08:49 PM
Thanks layman10. Not sure if its just me, "I get request could not be completed, the item you have requested is not available" when I try to purchase the album. Will try after some time.

Fliflo
1st September 2012, 08:49 PM
I see f**king mp3 sites..somebody block them please

Fliflo
1st September 2012, 08:53 PM
please block tis mp3 site

http://tamilstreams.webs.com/

naarayanan
sunil, i hate hub because there is no 'like' to 'click' on posts like yours... :)

rooky
Wondeful album; definitely the best in recent times. Loved all the songs, except the second part of "pudikkala maamu". "saynthu saynthu" definitely sounds a lot better and mindblowing song it is. Vaa vaa, kaatrai konjam, vaanam mella, mudhal murai, pengal enraal, satru munbu in that order. I am happy :)

layman10
1st September 2012, 09:34 PM
Thanks layman10. Not sure if its just me, "I get request could not be completed, the item you have requested is not available" when I try to purchase the album. Will try after some time.

Yes, its crazy.. I couldnt get to the album page, but could click the buy button from search results page and get it.

pauletteyc2
1st September 2012, 09:47 PM
Instruments overpowered vocals in all songs. I am not thrilled or excited. Pithamagan, Naan Kadavul and event ASK are outstanding compared to NEPV. :idontgetit:

Nerd
1st September 2012, 10:08 PM
Yes, its crazy.. I couldnt get to the album page, but could click the buy button from search results page and get it.
Thanks, that worked. Hopefully my purchase helps push it to the top of the charts :-)

Sattru Munbu almost gives me the pollaa vinayEn effect. Ramya, take a bow. The rock elements in the already familiar prelude and the 1st interlude of pudikkala maamu - mindblown. And the paththaadhE bit is very addicting. Karthik has done a great job in this. Raaja at his playful best, especially the wind instrument that plays in response to the paththaadhE towards the end of the song. Ennodu vaa vaa, still not convinced and that Yuvan solo does not belong to this album.

Guess after Thiruvaasagam will be my most favorite album this new millennium.

K
1st September 2012, 11:04 PM
Thank you Very Much Mr.Gautham for Nee Thaane Enthan Pon Vasantham. Vera onnum solla thonala.

Vinodkumar
1st September 2012, 11:08 PM
Based on the preview of the songs at FLipKart, the album sounds awesome !!! Cannot wait for the original ACD. Wish they release this in the form of instrumental version (replacing the vocals with string or wind instruments (Violin/Flute/Oboe).. The "Sattru Munbu" sounds like a symphonic material? Can anyone of you with the cd confirm this? Now the waiting starts... :(

venkkiram
2nd September 2012, 12:32 AM
Bela Shinde has gotten the 'ள' right :shock: Her thin voice does not gel with Raaja's soul voice. ShreyaG or Chitra should have sung that. But whatASong :bow: I was thinking exactly opposite after 3/4 hearings. Raaja would have opted out and brought a youngster (definitely not Yuvan though) in his place.

BerniceBuc
2nd September 2012, 01:03 AM
Just now came from audio launch show. It was a huge crowd. Budapest orchestra was great.

BerniceBuc
2nd September 2012, 01:05 AM
Instruments overpowered vocals in all songs. I am not thrilled or excited. Pithamagan, Naan Kadavul and event ASK are outstanding compared to NEPV. :idontgetit:

Are u joking?

BerniceBuc
2nd September 2012, 01:21 AM
I don’t consider music director(s) “MD” as a benchmark, I consider songs as a benchmark and because a MD = A has delivered more hits compared to the other MDs = B, C, D, etc. then it’s automatic that B, C, D, etc. will be ignored! Unfair :huh:

A hit song is one which spreads like a virus and can be considered opium for the masses. Now we all have our different viewpoints and my definition of a hit song is something that gets all my senses engaged.

I think it is foolish to be biased to a specific MD because of their past hits. An unknown composer will only release a single in his lifetime and go in hibernation and if this song becomes a hit then it is the song that becomes the benchmark not the composer. Mediocre MDs will occasionally release that one life changing song but because their other material is usually lost somewhere in the ditches, the biased aficionado won’t give the mediocre MD’s song a chance! Unfair :huh:
Word of mouth is the only hope mediocre MDs have but sometimes it’s too late as fanboys will start slating, meaning not having constructive criticisms but going on foul digressions.

To sum it up, MDs should not be considered Gold or Iron... it is songs that should be considered Gold or Iron.

Before coming to my take on NEPV, I would like to express where I stand with “Isaignani”. He has a Gold status because of his songs/hits but to be biased towards him is turning you to naivety. Open your ears and I’m not asking you let go of your favourite MD but there is beautiful songs pouring from every direction and because of ignorance certain gems are washed to the side.

For e.g. Ismail Darbar has landed in a blunder but most of his songs are very memorable even today therefore his songs are Gold and not him. Don’t judge a MD, judge their music... That’s all I’m saying!!!

First impressions of NEPV based on ignoring Raaja Saabs and GVMs previous material.

Vaanam Mella won’t even let me move an inch to the other songs, so is this Gold and the rest of the songs, Iron? When I heard this song, I was getting thoughts like no other song can beat this number in the album. After regaining consciousness, being calm and composed I moved to the next numbers.

I heard the album once and Vaanam Mella ascended the most. Thoughts on other songs at that time were:

Kaatrai Konjam – 2nd interlude is the sole highlight of the song.
Yennodu Vaa Vaa – Song belongs to karthik IMO. Charanams have a gargantuan soothing impact. The shift between the 2nd interlude and 2nd charanam is a rollercoaster ride from the world of electronic rock to the orchestral world.
Sattru Munbu – Couldn’t get to grips with this on first hearing but deep down felt there’s a dark horse nature in this song. The Anglo-Indian Voice modulation is something I’m a sucker of off late.
Mudhal Murai – Was too dense for me to digest. Overshadowing orchestration!
Pudikale Maamu – The already familiar interlude made me jump up with joy hehe Excluding the tipsy voice(s), the rest of the song had nothing going for it. Raaja Saab would’ve been apt from this song!
Pengal Yendral – Seems like another dark horse. The part where Yuvan sings “Madhi ketta yen niram, manam nondha sonnadho. Mara nathai pol indhu, pen ival indrudhu.” Completely melted my heart. (Sorry for the typo)
Saayndhu Saayndhu – Thought this will be favourite song but as always expectations create disappointments. Underwhelming on first hearing!

If this was Raaja Saabs debut and ignoring slow poison notion, it’s best to say it’s a mixed bag but because we have warmed up to Raaja Saab over the decades then I’ll also express my feelings as fanboy too.

There have been numerous teen/college flicks that we have grown up watching and listening too. What makes this different? Orchestration! We should consider ourselves very fortunate that Raaja Saab has gone full on with a grand orchestration for repeatedly tested script formula of college romance. Is it a life changing album for me? Yes, yes and yes!

2nd hearing is more than a punch in the face. Mudhal Murai becomes the most hummable song, followed by Saayndhu Saayndhu which is overwhelming with equally overwhelming interludes. The other songs engulf you; drench you with love and leaving you soaking on end. Raja turns the game around and delivers a complete rock ballad with Pengal yendral, which is unlike anything to come out of his repertoire. But I feel I still haven’t warmed up to Pudikale Maamu.

There’s nostalgia and there’s moderness too... The orchestral highs are enough to change sound of TFM.

After all, even Google translator accepts that “Isaignani” translates to “Ilaiyaraaja” and not “A man with great knowledge in music” because Ilaiyaraaja is an individual that is greater than a man with a great knowledge in music.

Happy listening :musicsmile:

Thanks for your honest review. As u said that the second hearing was a punch, i wonder waht will be like when u hear it for 50th time ( i am sure u will hear). I feel this is one of those album where all the songs are equal and mesmerizing.

BerniceBuc
2nd September 2012, 01:24 AM
I see My Dear Maarthaandan raaja in Pudikkala maamu song. Dont miss it :)

I really like "pudikkale mamu"

BerniceBuc
2nd September 2012, 01:29 AM
awesome Flipkart delivery and received my CDs just now and listening :musicsmile:

CD has awesome quality :superb:

app_engine wov probably this album in Akni Natchathram range

I totally agree.... This is agni natchathiram 2.0

senthilv.com
2nd September 2012, 01:39 AM
senthilv.com nice review :clap:

well said. but raja 2.0 or 1.1 or even 1.01 is enough to enjoy,

Thanks San_K. I agree. All versions of Raja are likeable.

Also on second thought, I think directors may be have to just ask him to do something different to tap into Raja's vast musical resource.

SVN
2nd September 2012, 02:05 AM
Has the Telugu version released yet? Who is singing the Yuvan songs? In that case I will purchase those tracks instead :)

ErneFsRurdy
2nd September 2012, 02:23 AM
pengal endra in telugu - yuvan.
sainthu sainthu - shaan

svarman
2nd September 2012, 02:42 AM
Please guys: don't review this album and show our inadequacies and satisfy our egos!!

Seamless and timeless. He has given the music for next 20 years in this album and I want no more. God bless Maestro. Gautam was spot on, when he said that this album and music belongs to new genre.....well lets stop here and enjoy this gem of an album, which would take at least 20 years to get the intricacies properly fathomed!.

dochu
2nd September 2012, 02:48 AM
I was so wrong!!!!

Guess jumped the guns after hearing the inadequate internet audio files. Hearing it in CD justifies everything.

IR is beyond reach of any musician. Even after scoring over 900 films, still he is fresh. Songs are just great and keeps growing onto you.

As some other user said, saindhu has been corrected by Yuvan. Looks like user feedback over internet is being read and positively taken by GVM/IR.

Vaanam mella tops the chart for me.

-------Hats off to you IR sir!! for producing such a memorable album ---------

senthilv.com
2nd September 2012, 04:41 AM
I was so wrong!!!!

Guess jumped the guns after hearing the inadequate internet audio files. Hearing it in CD justifies everything.

IR is beyond reach of any musician. Even after scoring over 900 films, still he is fresh. Songs are just great and keeps growing onto you.

As some other user said, saindhu has been corrected by Yuvan. Looks like user feedback over internet is being read and positively taken by GVM/IR.

Vaanam mella tops the chart for me.

-------Hats off to you IR sir!! for producing such a memorable album ---------

Saindhu saindhu was not fully mixed when they released the teaser. What we hear now might not be newly recorded voice but just the final mix. (Audio engineers can do wonders!)

AravindMano
2nd September 2012, 06:46 AM
Still have not consumed it fully. Mudhal Murai remains the most favourite. Goutham should pull this off on screen. He must.

I am increasingly thinking Ennodu Vaa Vaa is going to be a crazy crowd pleaser. (Well, I LOVE that song). Raja has pulled off a neat trick - simple, innocent, addictive tune. Had to drive 200 miles today with some of my very less musically-inclined friends and I played this song probably once. And they kept on singing during the whole trip. It got really scary after a while how quickly they warmed up to this one. But why synth yA!

rajkumarc
2nd September 2012, 06:58 AM
Did anyone download NEPV from iTunes or Amazon.com in the US? Wanted to know about the quality of the mp3s.

svbp007
2nd September 2012, 07:23 AM
Did anyone download NEPV from iTunes or Amazon.com in the US? Wanted to know about the quality of the mp3s.

They show up as available to purchase but not yet possible. If you want to listen to NEPV in high quality legally...best option right now is to simply sign up for Spotify...and for 9 bucks...you can listen to these and all the other new albums as well. NEPV got activated in Spotify today and the quality is as good as what you get from flipkart legal download. I am now eagerly waiting for Spotify to activate the Telugu version as they show up but not yet available for playing.

svbp007
2nd September 2012, 07:24 AM
By the way it is not even 9 bucks if you do not want it on your mobile device. I made these songs offline and listening to them while driving etc.

svbp007
2nd September 2012, 07:27 AM
Are u joking?

Well, the IR/Bela song I felt had the vocal mix a bit low.

rooky
2nd September 2012, 07:31 AM
Audio launch images frm behindwoods. http://behindwoods.com/new-images/photo-galleries-q1-09/tamil-photo-gallery/neethaane-en-ponvasantham-audio-launch/neethaane-en-ponvasantham-audio-launch-neethaane-en-ponvasantham-jiiva-02.html

app_engine
2nd September 2012, 08:02 AM

I've just now downloaded from amazon...can't compare with CD (can't get it that fast...someone has to send from India :oops:)...

Sounds decent when played on PC & the cheap Altec Lansing speakers connected to it...need to hear in headphones / car / van before I can conclusively talk about the sound quality (won't happen until a couple of days later).

Sorry, this may not help your query...just my 2 cents...you're probably aware that the songs are awesome regardless of the sound quality :-)

app_engine
2nd September 2012, 08:04 AM
And I've submitted a fan-boyish, brief review at amazon...waiting to see if it gets published :-)

kr
2nd September 2012, 08:05 AM
I did from iTunes. The quality is very good

app_engine
2nd September 2012, 08:12 AM
amazon has published my review:

One of the best Indian film song albums in the new millennium!

Phenomenal melody rides on top class orchestration - the Indian Maestro's powerful score got nice enhancement by European musicians and the studio / technicians in London (Angel studios).

Highly recommended to all music lovers - not just lovers of Indian Film music! This is jazzy work with strong Indian melody and some rich western ideas :-)

app_engine
2nd September 2012, 08:16 AM
'vAnam mellak keezhiRangi maNNil vandhAduthE'

:musicsmile:

On loop!

"iLaiya" rAsA voice sounds like 'sAmakkOzhi' days in portions of the song :shock: Who can say he's close to 70 :-)

enRenRum iLamai :-)

app_engine
2nd September 2012, 08:30 AM
But why synth yA!

I think that's a trick to make people aware of the 'nizhalin arumai veyilil theriyum' :wink:

The whole album is richchO rich with real instruments played by top class players and rAsA perhaps shows there how "weak and pale" the simulated music looks when the real ones freak out!

rajkumarc
2nd September 2012, 08:31 AM
svbp007 - Thanks for the recommendation. I think I will download & listen from iTunes or Amazon.com until I get the physical CD.

App - Thanks for the info. Do you know whats the bitrate of the MP3 files you got from Amazon, is it 320kbps or less? I think iTunes usually has 256kbps. As to the quality of the songs, the quality of the MP3 doesn't matter, they sound fantastic. But would really love to get my hands on the CD and blast it out from my home theater system. So, have to be content with iTunes/Amazon quality for now :smile: and play out the MP3 version instead. BTW, good review :thumbsup:

rajkumarc
2nd September 2012, 08:33 AM
I think that's a trick to make people aware of the 'nizhalin arumai veyilil theriyum' :wink:

The whole album is richchO rich with real instruments played by top class players and rAsA perhaps shows there how "weak and pale" the simulated music looks when the real ones freak out!

It's synth dominated mostly in the second interlude, right? The first one was mostly acoustic. Synth or not, that song is lovely :smile:

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
2nd September 2012, 08:35 AM
Returned to Bangalore after Experiencing the Ultimate Audio Launch! What to say!? Gautam's true love on Raja's Music? Or the Great songs played by 55 Piece Orchestra?! Or the Excellent Nostalgias and Greatness of Raja, as shared by Barathiraja, Selvamani, RVUdayakumar, R.Sundarrajan, K.B?

One thing sure, கௌதம் வாசுதேவ மேனன் சிலமாதங்களுக்குமுன் மதம் மாறிவிட்டார், இப்போது அவர் இளையராஜகோத்ரம். அதைத்தான் நேற்று நிரூபித்தார் :)))

தமிழச்சி சமந்தா அழகாக தமிழில் பேசினார்! சந்தானம் ராஜாவின்முன்பே கலகலப்பூட்டினார்! பாரதிராஜா மனதைத்தொட்டார்!

After hearing 1stTime the NEPV playedby 55Peice Orchestra, i simply feel its Musical Blockbuster 2012 & Continuing.....

app_engine
2nd September 2012, 09:06 AM
NEPV arusuvai album.

Among singers, the respo of giving 'inippu' suvai - a big panangAi respo- had been given to one with only a 'kokku thalai'.

Interestingly, the kokkuththalai has handled it competently!

Congrats Bela ammaNi! ippadiyE continue!

:clap:

kr
2nd September 2012, 09:43 AM
Satru Munbu is a stunner. The way the song ends is scintillating. Unbelievable guitar work in Pengal, pudikalai and Katru. To me the orchestration in this album is IR's best and that is saying something. I realize what IR meant when he said he found out that he could do this when asked by Gotham about his experience working on the film.

app_engine
2nd September 2012, 09:44 AM
For a slightly different POV :
http://pitchaipathiram.blogspot.com/2012/09/blog-post.html

Somewhat opposite to my experience - mine was one of expecting less but I got served far beyond expectations :-)

Though I was confident of IR delivering the goods, I wasn't sure earlier - as to whether I'll personally like the output...that'll possibly be targeted to cater to the current TN taste...but both rAsA & Gautam disproved that :-)

This is such a satisfying album to a HC-80's-F...

Well, the promos / Gautam / Samantha etc will make sure it reaches the target audience as well, which is not my major worry anyways :-)

app_engine
2nd September 2012, 09:47 AM
Satru Munbu is a stunner.

+100...the song is phenomenal, while creating strong sensations right now, from my past experience I can say that it also has the power to last in the playlist for decades from now!

writeface
2nd September 2012, 10:29 AM
The first interlude of pidikale maamu... what a riot! :)
Gokul

raajarasigan
2nd September 2012, 12:13 PM
Got the CD yesterday from flipkart.. :D no poster :(

heard twice//

so far, my pick

1. Sattru munbu - easily the best of the album..

2. Saindhu Saindhu - really liked it irrespective of yuvan's voice...

3. Kaatrai konjam - again superb.. charanam'la than konjam naduvula adikadi vara oboe sound sync aagala..

4. mudhal murai - will be a hit for sure.. goosebumps when hearing the phrase "neethane en pon vasantham" :clap:

5.pidikkala maamu - prelude :notwrothy: have to listen more..

5. ennodu vaa - just ok

6. vAnam mella - ippothaikku avlava pudikkala.. have to listen more..

7. pengal enral - good in parts but don't like it much..

MelHarmony
2nd September 2012, 12:29 PM
What a celebration of the musical genius.....it was once in a life time show........

1. Initially there was a video clip showing a recording session playing some popular songs and the intrumentalist singing IR praise
2. Pudikkala mamu was fantastic for bass guitar
3. saaindhu saaaindhu was great
5. kaatru....had a fabulous rythm and was sounding totally different than the radiocloud versions..
6. GVM went table after table to each director getting their "IR" experience. also they were asked to share their favorite

i had some minor complaints

1. the orchestra's momentum was disturbed by the frequent interviews with the directors. it would have been better to play out all the songs

rajkumarc
2nd September 2012, 01:02 PM
+100...the song is phenomenal, while creating strong sensations right now, from my past experience I can say that it also has the power to last in the playlist for decades from now!
Innoru 100 sethukonga... Satru Munbu and Muthal Murai are amazingly constructed and orchestrated. Love the chorus layer towards the end of Satru Munbu, goosebump stuff :notworthy:. Ramya NSK has sung it beautifully.

Why no updates/reviews from VS/KV/Suresh/irir/Plum. Expecting your detailed feedback soon, maybe you guys are drowned beyond recovery in NEPV, like me :smile:

irir123
2nd September 2012, 02:08 PM
whenever i eat, i will save my most favorite item for the last, for fear that if i eat it first, i will not be able to taste it again !!

similarly, am not TOUCHING NEPV's pirated version online unless and until i get the original CD - principle-wise, having advised everyone abt not downloading illegally, I wud like to stick to it and wait for the CD, at least the Amazon.com version !

btw, I have not been keeping idle - I have been spending time at a conference + workshop at catalina and Caltech - besides the serious part, I have so far distributed close to 70 odd IR flyers to friends/colleagues as well as strangers - flyers containing dual links to NEPV's purchase URL as well as articles on IR's music !

next two days will be exciting as far as doing the above is concerned - might be meeting some imp 'makkas' to speak abt IR !

NEPV can wait!

SVN
2nd September 2012, 02:58 PM
My picks of the album are the female solos: Satru Munbu and Mudhal Murai, closely followed by the lilting duet Vaanam Mella and Karthik's solos, Katrai Konjam and Ennodu Va Va, in that order. However hard I try, I am unable to appreciate Yuvan's singing in the songs, Saindhu Saindhu and Pengal Endral. The compositions needed a real 'singer. Wouldn't iit be lovely to hear ANY other established or emerging singer? Even a North import like Sonu would have done beTter justice, considering his Tamil diction was not bad in his earlier Tamil numbers!

But overall, a great album, superior compositions and orchestration. The interludes are out of the world, so are the surprise elements. Full ONa sadhya 8-course meal, so what if I did,t relish the injippuLi and the eriseri?

SVN
2nd September 2012, 02:58 PM
My picks of the album are the female solos: Satru Munbu and Mudhal Murai, closely followed by the lilting duet Vaanam Mella and Karthik's solos, Katrai Konjam and Ennodu Va Va, in that order. However hard I try, I am unable to appreciate Yuvan's singing in the songs, Saindhu Saindhu and Pengal Endral. The compositions needed a real 'singer. Wouldn't iit be lovely to hear ANY other established or emerging singer? Even a North import like Sonu would have done beTter justice, considering his Tamil diction was not bad in his earlier Tamil numbers!

But overall, a great album, superior compositions and orchestration. The interludes are out of the world, so are the surprise elements. Full ONa sadhya 8-course meal, so what if I did,t relish the injippuLi and the eriseri?

Fliflo
2nd September 2012, 03:32 PM
Description of Audio Release function

Raja Kaiya Vacha Wronga Ponathille

http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movies-events/Neethane-En-Ponvasantham-Audio-Launch-02-09-12.html

Fliflo
2nd September 2012, 03:56 PM
NEP Audio Launch
Gautham Menon singing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ieW0djTa0

viraajan
2nd September 2012, 05:56 PM
In love with all songs...!

Every song is good! Hats off to GVM for extracting fabulous tracks....

Lyrics are too good, though we miss Thamarai.

Except for the pallavi part, Yuvan has done his part much better in Saayndhu. Can live with it. Pick of the album. Such a sweet tune with lovely lyrics by Muthukumar.

Satru munbu song haunts while Mudhal Murai stuns me with the incredible hook "neethane en ponvasantham'. :redjump:

sivasub
2nd September 2012, 06:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIuFL8nQoRY&feature=autoplay&list=UU56gTxNs4f9xZ7Pa2i5xNzg&playnext=1

To those who are not able to get hold of the cd, this is the official release by Sony in youtube.. so you are not violating anything.