PDA

View Full Version : Neethane En Ponvasantham | Yeto Vellipoyindhi Manasu | Assi Nabbe Poorey Sau

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]

venkkiram
21st September 2012, 01:12 AM
Why cornering only mike mohan and gramarajan? Include kamal, rajini, balu mahenra, bharathi raja films too.

app_engine
21st September 2012, 01:22 AM
Finally, successfully "detoxified" my mind from NEPV with the powerful 'isai mEdaiyil' goosebumpy start (I get goose pimples EVERY time I listen to the start of this great song)!

Why detoxify? Because the addiction has become so bad that Yuvan came in my dream last night :shock:

In the soppanam I was in front of the monitor with a dev tool that's a kalavai of Peoplesoft App Designer and Kronos WIM and Yuvan came asking a doubt :lol: "How to get contextual help in a particular screen" - I seriously explained the right-key-click or select-and-press-F1, even demonstrating.

Then recognizing it's Yuvan, I told him "Hey, I liked your singing in NEPV - those songs are great - honestly, I never liked your singing before and hardly listened to any songs you sang - BTW, I'm a big fan of your dad for 35 years" (:rotfl: Even in dream, I'm so true to myself, talking like typing in the hubbu). Yuvan romba vetkappattAr...

ivvaLavu AnadhukkappuRamum if I keep this addiction, it will be injurious to health :-)

irir123
21st September 2012, 01:22 AM
one common thread/theme/denominator that could be discerned from almost every interview/speech of IR's, as well as, from the narrations of directors/producers who have worked with him is this:

do not mess with his creative process by referring to 'i want a song which is like the other one' and so on - once it is done, then a template gets formed in his subconscious and however he might try, it wont go away and somehow kills his creativity!

GVM is probably one of the very few who let him do what he wanted - leaving aside the pre-condition of 'i want the guitar placed there' and so forth!

so if we want some mind-bogglingly creative stuff from IR, the benchmark for approaching him would be:

1. just explain the situation to him - and make sure the person explaining is passionate abt what he/she does!

2.articulate the situation with as much visual imagery and finest details as possible

3. most importantly articulate the thought/emotional outcome that one expects from the musical product!

4. having done this, give him - budget permitting - the freedom to choose the recording studio/orchestra!

even if 4 is not possible, the first 3 would ensure some extraordinary music from IR !

if 4 is possible, then we are likely to get albums 10 times or more the quality of NEPV !

may all filmmakers/producers who approach him in the future use the above template!

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
21st September 2012, 01:56 AM
Why detoxify? Because the addiction has become so bad that Yuvan came in my dream last night :shock:

:rotfl:

V_S
21st September 2012, 02:34 AM
Why cornering only mike mohan and gramarajan? Include kamal, rajini, balu mahenra, bharathi raja films too.
+1 Well said. Everyone benefited from IR's music and his music mainly helped many (not just actors) shaping their careers, which has never ever happened in the history of Indian cinema with other music directors. I think what irir123 was referring to, who were only dependent on IR, nothing else (not even their talent). Definitely as you said, the list cannot be limited to those three only, it is endless.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
21st September 2012, 02:57 AM

Avarai ethukku izhukkureenga?!? Intha whole Planet laye, IR pathi musically technically logically quantitatively qualitatively financially feasibly ethically excellently intelligently extra-ordinarily educationally entertainingly culturally classically commercially prepositionally functionally ella ally yum pesina pesitrukkura pesapOra aaL ivar mattum thaan. Intha function kkum avari koopittu, ithanaala avar panna vendiya function ai function pannaama irukkurathaala, naanga nadatha vendiya function nadatha mudiyaama thalli pOguthu. Freeya vudungappaa anthaaLai

irir123
21st September 2012, 03:46 AM
IMO, Kamal, Rajini et al are either difficult to reach, or both to be present at the same function wud have probaly not only lead to logistical complications, but also led to us hearing some 'arachha maavu' stuff at least from kamal, who has said enough, incl equating to IR's music making abilities to some magician discovering the musical equivalent of the 'higgs boson' particle in musical notes!! i dont know what Rajini would have said, difficult to guess

leaving these big stars apart, it is the voice of yesteryear celebrities who rode high solely on IR's music i would have like to hear from!

irir123
21st September 2012, 05:04 AM
is the Hindi version/project of NEPV still on ?

irir123
21st September 2012, 05:34 AM
when Suresh Krishna spoke abt IR, he had no clue what he was talking abt !

and it was obvious why - his films with IR had Kamal who took care of the music composing sessions with IR with SK hardly getting involved !

app_engine
21st September 2012, 07:50 AM
his films with IR had Kamal

veerA?
prEmA (Telugu)?

app_engine
21st September 2012, 07:57 AM
Also, vaLaiyOsai has been composed as an instrumental track originally for NBW album (as per Kamal). So, it was 'ready-made' by IR, no Kamal involvement :-)

app_engine
21st September 2012, 08:01 AM
Obviously, Suresh Krishna didn't belong to the club, simply because his works with IR are far too few to be considered interview-worthy; in addition, he is another MR-like traitor (aNNamalai / bAtchA etc). So, would have felt shy ("ennaiyellAm idhula sEkkuRangaLE")...may be Gautam likes him :-)

Anban
21st September 2012, 08:24 AM
Gautam likes Sathya

senthilv.com
21st September 2012, 12:16 PM
one common thread/theme/denominator that could be discerned from almost every interview/speech of IR's, as well as, from the narrations of directors/producers who have worked with him is this:

do not mess with his creative process by referring to 'i want a song which is like the other one' and so on - once it is done, then a template gets formed in his subconscious and however he might try, it wont go away and somehow kills his creativity!

GVM is probably one of the very few who let him do what he wanted - leaving aside the pre-condition of 'i want the guitar placed there' and so forth!

so if we want some mind-bogglingly creative stuff from IR, the benchmark for approaching him would be:

1. just explain the situation to him - and make sure the person explaining is passionate abt what he/she does!

2.articulate the situation with as much visual imagery and finest details as possible

3. most importantly articulate the thought/emotional outcome that one expects from the musical product!

4. having done this, give him - budget permitting - the freedom to choose the recording studio/orchestra!

even if 4 is not possible, the first 3 would ensure some extraordinary music from IR !

if 4 is possible, then we are likely to get albums 10 times or more the quality of NEPV !

may all filmmakers/producers who approach him in the future use the above template!

+100. Great advice for IR filmmakers.

SVN
21st September 2012, 01:51 PM
How does that explain such extraordinary songs for dabba films like Solla Thudikkuthu Manasu? These films in totality and the picturisation of the extraordinary compositions were cringe-worthy to say the least. So, how did the creative juices flow in such cases? The inspiration could have come from within, perhaps?

Gregorysab
21st September 2012, 02:03 PM
SVN,

For all the extraordinary songs that Raaja gave to sub-ordinary films (i presume 75% of his films will eventually come under this), only one theory can explain the phenomena: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randomness :-)

csramasami
21st September 2012, 03:28 PM
Finally, successfully "detoxified" my mind from NEPV with the powerful 'isai mEdaiyil' goosebumpy start (I get goose pimples EVERY time I listen to the start of this great song)!

ivvaLavu AnadhukkappuRamum if I keep this addiction, it will be injurious to health :-)

Sorry for the digression (as was needed by app_eng)

Just thought of sharing something at this hot NEPV moment when all are talking about the Symphonic orchestra. Refer to the you tube link as well as Wikipedia link (parallelly if possible)

Bolero by Maurice Ravel – YouTube Link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK23BhEQVyU&feature=related

Wikipedia on “Bolero”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bol%C3%A9ro

(don’t miss the Table in this Wikipedia which explains the step by step the instruments being played in this orchestral piece. Compare visually with the You-tube. A good educational value stuff to know about the various orchestral instruments and their sounds)

One can hear predominantly the Charukesi ragam & Sankarabaranam (Major)

We also need such Wikipedia for IR. Don’t we !

Gregorysab
21st September 2012, 04:05 PM
Very informative link! Thanks for sharing!

KV
21st September 2012, 04:34 PM
:shock: is this grammar for real? :thalai suththal:
Thanks a lot for sharing, CSR!

csramasami
21st September 2012, 05:16 PM
Wikipedia on Oboe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oboe

Under subhead "Film-music" it states like this:

Quote:

Ilaiyaraja, a famous Indian film music composer, has also used the oboe in much of his film music. Examples include "Dalapathi" (1991); the title track of "Aditya 369" (1991); “Pazhassiraja” (2009); and “Nandalaala”(2010). The oboe has also been used by more recent Indian music composers, such as A. R. Rahman, who has used it in the movie "Jodha Akbar" (2008).

Un Quote:

Good ! Somebody is there ! Srirama rajyam, ASK, NEPV to be added with audio samples !

V_S
21st September 2012, 07:35 PM
Thanks a lot CSR for the links. Will hear it in the evening. :smile:

Somehow NEPV magnet is not allowing me to do anything else even after 20 days of listening. Even if I try to listen to any other songs for a minute, it pulls me heavily to it. All other songs seems mundane to me. This is the second time I have experienced this behaviour in recent times, first being the monopoly SRR, last year. Was just comparing SRR with NEPV, could not believe the contrast and versatility in Maestro. Where is gali ningi neeru and where is pengaL yendraal. Where is Seetha seemandam and where is EnnOdu vaa vaa, the list goes on. Even if I start to write on these compositions, it asks me, ivvaLavuthaanaa? :oops: Ithellaam mana brandy maadhiri irukku.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
21st September 2012, 07:35 PM
Thanks SKR!

http://www.facebook.com/groups/IlayaRajafans/permalink/317588585007080/

Neethaane En Ponvasantham Songs from a Rhythm (Thalam) and Scale (Ragam) perspective !!

Saaindhu Saaindhu - 4/4 Adhi Thalam Chatushra Nadai (goes as 3+3+2)
Composed in D Major , takes the ragam of Mohanam predominantly (there is an accidental Ni note too) , during the Charanam it changes to B Minor (Scale of Natabhairavi) but has a distinct Suddha Dhanyasi flavour.

Kaatrai Konjam - 7/8 Misra Chaapu
Composed in E Major (Shankarabaranam) , shifts to C# Minor during the Charanam (At Thalli Thalli) , and should have become Natabhairavi, but feel it is actually Varunapriya due to the heavy new presence of the note C (Ni3 in Carnatic terms).Again (At Saathi Vaitha) it returns to the scale of E Major and should have become Shankarabaranam but again the booming presence of note C (Da1 in this case) makes it Sarasangi. The introduction of the note C in Charanam is a pure masterstroke.

Mudhal Murai - 4/4 Adhi Thalam Chatushra Nadai
Composed in B Minor in the ragam of Natabhairavi (Ni3 is also used at times giving an extra effect)

Vaanam Mella - 6/8 Adhi Thalam Tisra Nadai
Composed in F Minor , takes the raga of Pushpalathika as it mostly avoids Dha.

Pidikkala Mamu - 4/4 Adhi Thalam Chatushra Nadai
Pidikala Mamu is composed in E Major (Shankarabaranam) , Vidhi Pathadhe is in 6/8 and composed in F Minor and follows Suddha Dhanyasi Ragam

Ennodu Vaa Vaa - 4/4 Adhi Thalam Chatushra Nadai
Composed in E Minor and follows Natabhairavi Ragam

Pengal Yendral - 4/4 Adhi Thalam Chatushra Nadai
Composed in B Scale and follows the ragam of Gowri Manohari

Sattru Munbu - 4/4 Adhi Thalam Chatushra Nadai
Composed in D Scale , difficult to slot into a raga as it uses almost all notes but is predominantly in Keeravani

KV
21st September 2012, 08:02 PM
Thanks a lot CSR for the links. Will hear it in the evening. :smile:

Somehow NEPV magnet is not allowing me to do anything else even after 20 days of listening. Even if I try to listen to any other songs for a minute, it pulls me heavily to it. All other songs seems mundane to me. This is the second time I have experienced this behaviour in recent times, first being the monopoly SRR, last year. Was just comparing SRR with NEPV, could not believe the contrast and versatility in Maestro. Where is gali ningi neeru and where is pengaL yendraal. Where is Seetha seemandam and where is EnnOdu vaa vaa, the list goes on. Even if I start to write on these compositions, it asks me, ivvaLavuthaanaa? :oops: Ithellaam mana brandy maadhiri irukku.

v_sji, same pinch! :razz:.
I'd placed NEPV and SRR in the same order in Flipkart. Been listening to these two since they were delivered. What mind blowing differences in the music and styles! idhayum thaandi, the variety in styles within each album itself is remarkable!
raasa... avatharam ya nee :bow:

Kimrep
21st September 2012, 09:05 PM
Sorry for the digression (as was needed by app_eng)

Just thought of sharing something at this hot NEPV moment when all are talking about the Symphonic orchestra. Refer to the you tube link as well as Wikipedia link (parallelly if possible)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK23BhEQVyU&feature=related

Wikipedia on “Bolero”

(don’t miss the Table in this Wikipedia which explains the step by step the instruments being played in this orchestral piece. Compare visually with the You-tube. A good educational value stuff to know about the various orchestral instruments and their sounds)

thanks for that link CSR.

app_engine
21st September 2012, 09:32 PM
Rediff interview of Gautam (http://www.rediff.com/movies/slide-show/slide-show-1-south-interview-with-gautham-vasudev-menon/20120917.htm)

For the first time, the director has roped in Ilayaraja as the music director. The album, released recently, is a huge hit.

In this interview, Gautham Vasudev Menon talks about the magic of working with the maestro.

kiru
21st September 2012, 10:46 PM
Thanks to the link from CSR .. I have two or three versions of Bolero ..mainly bought for a better and better recording. I always thought it sounded Arabic but never identified the similarity with our raagams.
And I wandered off to other concert videos in youtube ..suggest Ave Maria (Schubert) as an antidote for the NEPV addiction to a_e :-)

brigs
22nd September 2012, 05:04 AM
Rediff interview of Gautam (http://www.rediff.com/movies/slide-show/slide-show-1-south-interview-with-gautham-vasudev-menon/20120917.htm)

[/SIZE][/FONT]
Thanks for the link... 3 days, 14 tunes, 8 tunes were picked,... my fav of the album is also Kaatrai Konjam. Lovely song.

V_S
22nd September 2012, 08:34 AM

Wikipedia on “Bolero”

That was stunning!. Started with just one flute, gradually adding instruments one by one, culminating in a superb finish (with even a scale change). Most of the wind/woodwind instruments sound pretty close, easy to miss clarinet for oboe, oboe for oboe d'amore/cor anglais. Bassoon was quite different. Still if they all play together, it is very difficult to even say which of these are played. Very educational post and link. Thank you very much CSR sir.

BTW, the conductor was funny. :D

kiru
22nd September 2012, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the link... 3 days, 14 tunes, 8 tunes were picked,... my fav of the album is also Kaatrai Konjam. Lovely song.
kARRai konjam is one of the genres IR does. But IMHO, his favorite or the genre that he is focussed on and trying to innovate is - saRRu munbu or even something like muthal muRai. I only wish saRRu munbu is popular with the general audience just like where these two are running at the top in our polls.

csramasami
22nd September 2012, 10:50 AM
Thanks V_S, Kiru, KV and all. Yes the conductor looks funny. But articulation of dynamics of the composition (with utmost soft start to the adrenalin pushinh crescendo in the end) was the bottomline for this song and he makes it visibly extraordinarily brilliant. See his start with utmost controling his breath and cueing the snare drum and at the end he himself gets into raptourous mode with entire orchestration goes wild. This is what expected from symphony players and they deliver. When you know you are having such team to support you, the creator in you will go full blast with assured output. (My answer to people asking why IR needs London and European people and why not Chennai, this video speaks for itself. Also, if one gets into the details of the each individual instruments intricacies w.r.t. paramters like range, difficulties in playing certain phrases, dynamics etc. you need the experts to produce the creativity of the genius like IR. I know, this will create very heated debates in this tfmp, let me stop this digression)

The other side note, one could have watched the snare drummer all the time looking for the notes as well as Conductor and playing continuously till end; (the 2 bar notes of which is given in the wikipedia under sub-head "Structure of song"); though by any standard of today, just a looped recorded synth playing would have achieved this ? No! What he is faithfully following is the dynamics as written in the sheet notes as well as controlled by the conductor. Amazing I feel. Normal routine to them.

Even the dynamics picked up by the Angel studio has not been picked up by the Jaya TV/Nehru stadium arrangement and that's the sad state of affair here. Why a Ressul Pokkutty/Shridhar not required for such stage shows of IR calibre ?

kiru
22nd September 2012, 09:51 PM
CSR, setting up the mikes for such large number of instruments is very tricky. IR's studio recording were very bad in this respect. This album if recorded in India would not have had this effect. Re: the musicians, I agree with you. These musicians are trained to play the notes of masters all the time. They bring a new standard to playing. I also think they maintain their instruments properly tuned.
After Guru, TIS and now NEPV, I have stopped comparing (even in my mind) with other Indian MDs. He is practicing a different art from altogether. I wish he gets job in Europe or America writing new works for major Symphony Orchestras. I am not sure how remunerative this will be, but I wish IR accepts/gets such a job for a year or two, at the least.

MelHarmony
23rd September 2012, 12:32 AM
At last I found a similarity after repeated hearing Mudhal murai violin interlude....I could match this interlude with the 1st Interlude of Thendralum maaruthu song from Vaalmiki....listen from 1.26, you will find a similar counterpoint melody using violins.......

brigs
23rd September 2012, 08:46 AM
At last I found a similarity after repeated hearing Mudhal murai violin interlude....I could match this interlude with the 1st Interlude of Thendralum maaruthu song from Vaalmiki....listen from 1.26, you will find a similar counterpoint melody using violins.......

There are several such nostalgic moments (80s, 90s) in most songs. As in the audio release function, someone (can't recall who) thanked IR for bringing back those 80s, 90s composition days. I'm more of an instrumental man, there is no path-breaking instrumental stuff in the album. Although I'm disappointed from that perspective, I enjoy the melodies. Kaatrai Konjum has grown immensely for its simplicity and lasting impact. As IR says that NEPV is a slow poison - this one certainly is.

Hulkster
23rd September 2012, 09:10 AM
no path-breaking instrumental stuff

Thalaivar's experimentations are not about bringing in new instruments nor is it creating a new sound, its about the way he orchestrates. His orchestration is so unique, that most new/intermediate listeners feel that it is just old wine in new bottle. But the techniques he uses and the way he effortlessly changes and redefine genres like jazz in the songs and even having the cheek to mix them with some other contradicting genres is the reason why it is path-breaking. Even his "worse" songs will throw a surprise to the most hardened listeners.

The reason why they said it reminds of him his 80s 90s is not because it just sounds nostalgic, but because it was in the 80s and 90s that his orchestration was even more complex than it usually is that you couldn't figure out what he was doing until you had to listen to it about 100 times. This album has that same style of vigour. That is why people term it as vintage and nostalgic because they also cannot figure out what is happening in the orchestration here as well. Everytime a "confusing and can-never-figure-out" orchestrated album comes, they usually brand it as vintage raja :lol:

brigs
23rd September 2012, 10:49 AM
Thalaivar's experimentations are not about bringing in new instruments nor is it creating a new sound, its about the way he orchestrates. His orchestration is so unique, that most new/intermediate listeners feel that it is just old wine in new bottle. But the techniques he uses and the way he effortlessly changes and redefine genres like jazz in the songs and even having the cheek to mix them with some other contradicting genres is the reason why it is path-breaking. Even his "worse" songs will throw a surprise to the most hardened listeners.

The reason why they said it reminds of him his 80s 90s is not because it just sounds nostalgic, but because it was in the 80s and 90s that his orchestration was even more complex than it usually is that you couldn't figure out what he was doing until you had to listen to it about 100 times. This album has that same style of vigour. That is why people term it as vintage and nostalgic because they also cannot figure out what is happening in the orchestration here as well. Everytime a "confusing and can-never-figure-out" orchestrated album comes, they usually brand it as vintage raja :lol:

If that line of thought keeps you happy/going. I'm perfectly okay with that.

NEPV is not a confusing album by any stretch of imagination. The orchestral complexity you are talking about doesn't appeal enough to today's music lovers, needs more richness - not just simplicity. As a humble "music" lover, I only wish that IR goes a step further with dramatic use of instruments and not measly. Some examples like Clint Mansell "requiem for a dream", Inon Zur - Strickland's March, Jon Brooks, Hans Zimmer, etc... Most recently Achu's "Yaen indha dhideer thiruppam" has been very captivating.

Also, there are no "worse" songs. Each shine its own beauty - whether one is able to discover and adore it depends on their taste :)

V_S
23rd September 2012, 11:01 AM
Hulkster,
Idha vida clear'a express paNNa mudiyaathu. Thank you. :clap: We can develop a beautiful story behind his orchestration and every lude. He goes away beyond the tune (main melody) during the interludes taking our imagination beyond this world only to come back in time for the charanams. There are more twists, turns and surprise at every interlude and in every line of the melody (both in terms of tune and orchestration). The dense layer of orchestration in his interludes each can lead to a different story altogether which we can hardly see these capabilities in others.

Even in bringing new sounds and new instruments he is the pioneer. The beauty when he brings new sound is out of his own thoughts. Integrating (and playing) two or more contradicting instruments together brings a new sound. I have written about this many times in Raja Duets thread. I can happily say that the new sounds he is accomplishing is indigenously built by him rather than borrowed. We can see the pain and hardwork in every note he creates. If anyone is talking about instruments (especially live instruments), it can never be other than Maestro. In NEPV, he brought back the lost instruments of Middle ages, Renaissance up to the current new age instruments starting from the forgotten bagpipes, oboe, oboe'damor, bassoon, harp to the classical piano, guitar, violins, cellos, flutes to new age beautiful synths. The highlight of NEPV is how he integrates all these instruments of various periods in one composition and yet feel friendliness among each instruments and also bringing in contemporariness and appeal to every listener of today. If this is not path-breaking, yes I agree, the path is not breaking, instead Maestro expands our path beyond our imagination.

That's why when I say his music is pure, it is pure not just in terms of genres or novelty, it is 100% pure and original from his brain to our ears and souls, no adulteration in between. It takes decades to understand Maestro's music, let's leave them alone who are always stuck with new sounds and instruments when it is right in front of them to identify, when they don't want to see this deliberately.

MelHarmony
23rd September 2012, 01:50 PM

Since we have been listening to the path breaking stuff for more than 3 decades it has matured in our minds (definitely old but no complaints....do we complain about tamil epic/literature simply because it is old...as it grows old, it becomes more valuable....same is the case IR's music....). this orchestration of truly world class and is a difficult art...

MelHarmony
23rd September 2012, 01:59 PM
I only expe.cted a little more dramatic use of instruments from NEPV because I'm so selfish that it could have pleased my taste buds. Everyone has different expectations.... Please don't fret over it.

Everyone has expectations. But IR is not a person who simply shells out world class stuff for ordinary reasons. It was Thiruvasagam that brought out some of his best hidden orchestral capabilities....We cannot compare the requirements of NEPV with TiS because the musical purpose are entirely different. I would say that here in NEPV IR has tried his best and has gone even a bit away from his conscience and has delivered a great album. By no means we can say that "NEPV theme has inspired IR to give such an output", because as he has always said music must be spontaneous...he can give some world class melodies, but decorating with world class orchestration has happened in NEPV simply because of GVM's effort in persuading/convincing IR, offering a foreign orchestra to make it grand.

Dont expect chartbusters from IR always...he is not of that class...some time back K.JYesudas mentioned exactly same about IR..."mere money cannot bring you music out of him".

irir123
23rd September 2012, 02:17 PM
Everyone has expectations. But IR is not a person who simply shells out world class stuff for ordinary reasons. It was Thiruvasagam that brought out some of his best hidden orchestral capabilities....We cannot compare the requirements of NEPV with TiS because the musical purpose are entirely different. I would say that here in NEPV IR has tried his best and has gone even a bit away from his conscience and has delivered a great album. By no means we can say that "NEPV theme has inspired IR to give such an output", because as he has always said music must be spontaneous...he can give some world class melodies, but decorating with world class orchestration has happened in NEPV simply because of GVM's effort in persuading/convincing IR, offering a foreign orchestra to make it grand.

Dont expect chartbusters from IR always...he is not of that class...some time back K.JYesudas mentioned exactly same about IR..."mere money cannot bring you music out of him".

I beg to differ - more than GVM persuading IR (he however did play a role in 'bringing' the best out of IR, as IR himself mentioned during the NEPV audio launch) to come out with great music (i dont know how persuaviness will bring out better music!) - I think, it was GVM (i) giving IR the complete 'liberty' of choosing his own orchestra, (ii) asking for brand new fresh tunes and (iii) a brand new sound - all these 3 things combined that resulted in NEPV

when IR could give some stunning stuff in PAA, Cheeni Kum, SHiva (2006) rehashing his old melodies at the behest of the directors (now they must be ruing/regretting the missed opportunity of getting original fresh masterpieces!), it was only obvious what he was going to come up with, when allowed a free hand with these albums!

the very fact that he agreed to reuse his old tunes and make them 'sound' new in terms of orchestration and treatment is testimony to his flexibility as well as leniency! any other 900 plus movies composer with a 'breath-a-minute-music-note' approach to life, would have likely said 'forget it' if approached for reusing old tunes - I would have gotten frustrated

please read my earlier posting as to what directors approaching IR ought to do - in the future - if they want the best out of him!

irir123
23rd September 2012, 02:22 PM
many ppl just dont understand the classic mindset of any HCIRF ! at least HCIRFs like me begin to listen to any new album of IR with the sole objective of finding faults on the recording, use of synth etc etc areas!

I did the same with NEPV - and i do have issues with at least one song 'pudikkala maamu' - but IRs' greatness appears to lie in anticipating such expectations from fans like me and almost always come up stuff that overrides my natural skepticism! - of course when he is allowed a free hand!

am making this point with reference to the ongoing 'tussle' last few pages!

irir123
23rd September 2012, 02:34 PM
just to reiterate what i said in my last posting - I can vouch for the fact that during the 1980s/ 1990s, almost every album of IR came under scrutiny by makkals like me - not ordinary scrutiny, but under microscopic analytical mindsets! tracks not worthy of a certain standard we expect of him were 'unselected / rejected' while those that met certain criteria (maybe even arbitrary ones) were classified separately

and these things happened when there was no internet, no grand music launch functions, just two TV channels, and only the radio for company - many of us did not even own a tape player / music system ! so noone was even trying to force anyone's music down our throats - like how it is being done now very often, with music launch shows, teasers blah blah blah!

so our mindset is still the same - i wish old-time hubbers like eden, viswa and shankar (motorla), gokul (maybe he is whiteface) and arularacan/r were around for a more strong rebuttal of some of the funny comments being made here!

the point is - IR's creativity got a firm stamp, ONLY after repeatedly going through several years of 'microscopic' level scrutiny!

MelHarmony
23rd September 2012, 02:49 PM
I beg to differ - more than GVM persuading IR (he however did play a role in 'bringing' the best out of IR, as IR himself mentioned during the NEPV audio launch) to come out with great music (i dont know how persuaviness will bring out better music!) - I think, it was GVM (i) giving IR the complete 'liberty' of choosing his own orchestra, (ii) asking for brand new fresh tunes and (iii) a brand new sound - all these 3 things combined that resulted in NEPV

when IR could give some stunning stuff in PAA, Cheeni Kum, SHiva (2006) rehashing his old melodies at the behest of the directors (now they must be ruing/regretting the missed opportunity of getting original fresh masterpieces!), it was only obvious what he was going to come up with, when allowed a free hand with these albums!

the very fact that he agreed to reuse his old tunes and make them 'sound' new in terms of orchestration and treatment is testimony to his flexibility as well as leniency! any other 900 plus movies composer with a 'breath-a-minute-music-note' approach to life, would have likely said 'forget it' if approached for reusing old tunes - I would have gotten frustrated

please read my earlier posting as to what directors approaching IR ought to do - in the future - if they want the best out of him!

You made you point clear Plum. I fully agree with the three points you mentioned. I can see how long this thread has been going on NEPV and we all were waiting with bated breath for this album. But IR's stuff has always been rooted to the core of the movie and not deviating from it. Also oflate he has reduced the number of film efforts. More important, according to me, after TiS, a change has happened within IR and his music...He requires some special stuff to really motivate him.... Since NEPV is again a love story (may be with a difference!), I dont think he would have given the same quality stuff for a different director (For ex. Faazil). I will add another factor to your list...it was GVM's way of approaching IR and his admiration for his music and the mutual respect he commanded from IR, the way he narrated the sequences, that has also helped this effort.

All said, I want to make one point again here.....for the past few years, if the requirement is grand or motivating for him, IR will make it grand...for sure...we can take some examples here.....PR, Naan Kadavul, Paa...Also if the film is about a mundane stuff, nobody need to go to IR...there are other MDs for that.....

I also have read your post on advice for directors and I agree

MelHarmony
23rd September 2012, 03:10 PM
just to reiterate what i said in my last posting - I can vouch for the fact that during the 1980s/ 1990s, almost every album of IR came under scrutiny by makkals like me - not ordinary scrutiny, but under microscopic analytical mindsets! tracks not worthy of a certain standard we expect of him were 'unselected / rejected' while those that met certain criteria (maybe even arbitrary ones) were classified separately

so our mindset is still the same - i wish old-time hubbers like eden, viswa and shankar (motorla), gokul (maybe he is whiteface) and arularacan/r were around for a more strong rebuttal of some of the funny comments being made here!

the point is - IR's creativity got a firm stamp, ONLY after repeatedly going through several years of 'microscopic' level scrutiny!

Though I joined the hub only recently (I am reading IR blogs since 2001) I am a conscious listener/admirer of IR music since 1991 and I am listening IR music since 1985. For me too the mistakes come to the mind when I am listening...But to be honest, I can say with 99.9999% confidence that IR has never done mistakes in sruthi...it could be in the tempo/beats/recording....

I however slightly differ on your point "IR's creativity got a firm stamp, ONLY after repeatedly going through several years of 'microscopic' level scrutiny"... I would say music above everybody and even above IR. I dont think he got a creativity "stamp" only after we scrutinized his works.....I feel we ("we" means "fans" in general, not just HCIRF) have grown up late to appreciate his music. This could be because of several reasons. CD, mp3 sound format, blogs (and of course the dearth of quality MDs, plastic music)....I dont think IR's music is begging for creativity stamp....it is just there. if we had not recognized it, it would have been our mistake and not that of IRs.

brigs
23rd September 2012, 04:28 PM

Agree with you. NEPV has melodies that have been decorated really well, but I was just being greedy by asking some more richness :)

musiukunit
23rd September 2012, 04:54 PM
Everyone has expectations. But IR is not a person who simply shells out world class stuff for ordinary reasons.

That is very true. In the interview with Rajkiran he specifically told IR considers it thozhil dhrogam if he gives special music just for his favourite people. I think people overlook a lot about his style of composing and his philosophy of music and value system just thinking he is arrogant etc.

He makes music spontaneously and that makes him impossible to favour anybody even if he thinks. Infact he asked Gautam whether he thought he had prepared the tunes in advance but Gautam ruled it out as he explained the sequence there. He just leaves the whole scenarios to inspire him to come up with the music.

I clearly remember some director telling when i asked Raja sir to give him music like that he gives for Balu Mahendra, IR asked him to tell him a story like moonram pirai first..

So that is his value system. It may annoy you all.you may complain it.But that is how it is..

I mean look at Raasave unna nambi..Its world class, heck its heaven class.But think of the scenario it was born..

The story and screenplay of Mudhal Mariyadhai,Bharathiraja at his peak, Sivaji at his monstrous best, Vairamuthu challenging his music with words, Janaki at her peak

When such an inspiration happens look how he delivers.

brigs
23rd September 2012, 05:07 PM
many ppl just dont understand the classic mindset of any HCIRF ! at least HCIRFs like me begin to listen to any new album of IR with the sole objective of finding faults on the recording, use of synth etc etc areas!

I did the same with NEPV - and i do have issues with at least one song 'pudikkala maamu' - but IRs' greatness appears to lie in anticipating such expectations from fans like me and almost always come up stuff that overrides my natural skepticism! - of course when he is allowed a free hand!

am making this point with reference to the ongoing 'tussle' last few pages!

That's heart-breaking. Pudikkala maamu has the best prelude and interludes! The rock beginning rockzzz...

musiukunit
23rd September 2012, 05:15 PM
Agree with you. NEPV has melodies that have been decorated really well, but I was just being greedy by asking some more richness :)

Richness..Oh My God..

He can even compose a symphony, but does NEPV deserve or has a place for it.

I am very worried that GVM is going to spoil Mudhal Murai.
Because Mudhal murai is a song which takes the energy level and emotions similar to Kavidhai Kelungal.
Let him deliver that song properly, then let us demand more richness..

All these current directors have only one way of shooting love dejections.
Sarakkadhichuttu kuthu pattu like enna thedi vantha anjala..or some soga song like mannipaya

The emotions that Mudhal Murai brings out, How many directors are there to bring out that emotion in todays movies.
When you are asking about why his songs are not like 80s songs..look at todays movies.

Do they have any different scenario??
Except love, Style, Kuthu, sogam, violence and all these as plain as a plastic

That is why Raja said he can make those songs but asked will Vijay or ajith act in such songs

That is why todays emotionless catchy music is just a passing cloud and Raja's music for such different inspired scenarios will stay
for ever...

kiru
23rd September 2012, 08:27 PM
There are people who are exposed to only indian music and may not see the value in IR's orchestration. I am fine with this. There are people who are exposed to all kinds of music but fail to understand the purpose and usage of an orchestra in IR's music. They compare apples with oranges. This is what annoys the most. Because these people claim to be knowledgeable and music savvy and yet are wont to pass on criticisms on IR's music for the wrong reason.
Re: instrumentation - when you use an orchestra you dont want one instrument to stand out. Of course, you could have violin, harp or brass concerto. But here the orchestra's main purpose is to highlight the tune. For eg. in saRRu munbu, the whole is more than sum of the parts.
If you want highlight of certains instruments, you can see it in the rest of the songs (other an muthal muRai (nice lead guitars here), saRRu munbu and vaanam mella). Ok, brigs needs to clarify "instrumentation".
BTW, to me the 'nee thaanE en pon vasantham' reprise in muthal muRai sounds as effective as Queen's - we will rock you. And probably have a durability and longevity like that.
Also note, the originality point from V_S, not all songs and works of IR will/can be a hit. It is completely an individual effort with only the basic music techniques learnt from the masters. So there will be misses and probably mistakes or rough edges. But he will continue to do it his own way so that every minute he is learning and improving. He keeps getting better and better whether you and me notice it, acknowledge it or not. This is very valuable to people like me who want musicians to give their originality not something that just pleases me for a while.

app_engine
24th September 2012, 06:31 AM
How to take (some) life out of a song?

Listen to the stage singer for 'mudhal muRai pArtha gnAbagam' :-(

Perhaps the biggest sodhappal of the program.

BTW, kaNkaLil thaNNeer as the orchestra plays 'then pANdichcheemaiyilE'!
:clap:
:Pughazha vArththaikaL illai:

csramasami
24th September 2012, 10:51 AM
I could notice the end credit titles of Jaya TV programme, showing the names of the all the instrumentalists (but without associated instrument names) played in Chennai. Can somebody write it down and place it on record here in this tfm page. They may be the same one who played in Angel Studio.

I could see the two English faces in the audience who are likely to be the partners of Nick the conductor in the Anglo Indian cinema music company. Somebody can contact Nick also for the name of instrumentalists.

csramasami
24th September 2012, 12:30 PM
I noted down the name and producing here. Thanks to Jaya TV.

London Orchestra Members
for NEPV Programme at Chennai - 01-Sep-12

1 Mr Nicholas Edmund Frederic Newland
2 Mr Edward Jonathan Mills
3 Mrs Kirby Anne Hall

4 Mr Daniel Tomas de Souza
5 Mr Stuart Robert Bruce
6 Miss Victoria Louise rule
7 Mr Edward Charles Lucas
8 Mr Richard William Knights
9 Mr Lazlo Attila
10 Miss Melissa Kathleen Brown
11 Mr Lattman Bela
12 Miss Caroline Harden Wolfson
13 Mr Nagy Janos
14 Mr Benjamin Philip Hartley
15 Miss Emma Basset
16 Mr Joseph Daniel Terence de-Fry
17 Mr Damiel Seymour Burrowes
18 Miss Amelia Jones
19 Miss Aisling Marie Manning
20 Mr George Leo Cliffard
21 Mr Patrick Tapio Johnson
22 Mr Hendry Charles Frederick Salmon
23 Miss Willemijn Petronella Steenbakkers
24 Miss Nichola Jane Enderby
25 Miss Frederique Sophie Legrand
26 Mr Thomas Leate
27 Miss Paulina Ewa Pluta
28 Miss Johanna Catherine McWeeny
29 Miss Flavia Hirte
30 Miss Anna Christine Michel
31 Miss Yla Elizabeth Garvie
32 Miss Mariko Helen North
33 Miss Calie Dianna Hough
34 Miss Elaine Catherine Sexton
35 Mr Oliver John Saphford
36 Miss May Robertson
37 Miss Caroline Jane Kelly
38 Miss Frances Verity Higgs
39 Mr Stephen John Pedder
40 Miss Jennifer Evelyn Coombes
41 Mr Christopher Edward Samuel Beckett
42 Miss Joanne Elizabeth Miller
43 Miss Alison Jane D’Souza
44 Miss Sally Wragg
45 Mr David Paul Cousins
46 Miss Joanne Jane Keithley
47 Miss Katie Jayne Walton
48 Miss Alice Charlotte Murray
49 Miss Rosanna Sarah Ter-Berg
50 Miss Kathleen Victoria ross
51 Miss Oliva Duque
52 Mr Adam Exton Woodward
53 Miss Charlotte Louise Webber
54 Mr Fraser Alexander James Kelman
55 Miss Jona Eveleen Dorothy Garvie
56 Miss Julia Loucks

app_engine
24th September 2012, 07:20 PM
NEPV - "discovery" by a blogger (http://rameshonmusic.blogspot.com/2012/09/neethane-en-ponvasantham-discovery.html)

While listening to the awesome songs of Neethane En Ponvasantham (CD (http://www.flipkart.com/neethaane-ponvasantham-music/p/itmdcmnxwgptfucd?pid=AVMDCMNHBRGRVVKH&ref=b8edeaef-4b0e-4663-9c4b-8508b062e9f9) | mp3 (http://www.flipkart.com/neethaane-en-ponvasantham/p/itmdcwzwxpdfzvtr?pid=DGADCWYGZUED7PAH&ref=22480c90-d7e6-4fc1-8bd1-8f722a030996)) by Ilaiyaraaja, I made an interesting discovery. To me, it looks all the songs end in the Panchamam (Pa note). Not sure if it is intentional or if it is coincidental. Songs ending with Shadjamam (Sa note) is very common. But all 8 songs (actually 9) from the album ending in Panchamam was interesting.

app_engine
24th September 2012, 07:21 PM
BTW, the "Rajiv Shankar" this blogger refers to is our hubber skr I think :-)

app_engine
24th September 2012, 07:32 PM
Gautham "provokes" a blogger to list some negatives (http://tamilmusi.blogspot.com/2012/09/neethane-en-ponvasantham-music-review.html)

Not many had written negative comments about this music album in any of the online sites that I have come across so far. Some of us have bottled up a few negatives about this music album due to love, gratitude and respect for Ilaiyaraja's contribution to music. I seriously would not have penned these thoughts if not for Gautham Menon's provoking statements.

Of course, these negatives have already been discussed threadbare in the hub...

app_engine
24th September 2012, 07:40 PM
Jiva TOI-kku interviewlAm kudukkuRaru (http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2012-09-22/news-interviews/34003263_1_film-jiiva-viswaroopam)

Your next release will be Gautham Menon's 'Neethane En Ponvasantham'.

I guess (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/Guess) so. The music is already topping the charts, and I can't wait for the audience to see the film. I had shed a couple of kilos to fit in the role of a school student for a part of this film. I'm also juggling Bejoy Nambiar's David schedule, and I think this film should also hit screens soon.

V_S
24th September 2012, 08:58 PM
Finally getting hold of Vaanam Mella Keezhirangi maNNil vanthaaduthE, thooral thandha vaasam ingu veesuthingE. The tune, orchestration, lyrics and Raja's singing define a new trend in composition. Will write about this celestial beauty very soon.

kiru
24th September 2012, 11:16 PM
IMHO, saRRu munbu is National Award material. Except for one place - thEyndha vennila thirumba vaLarumA where she sounds strained Ramya sounds fine. I hope this does not ruin her chances. (V_S, looking forward to your review of vaanam mella - my emotional favorite and saRRu munbu my technical favorite :-) )

app_engine
24th September 2012, 11:23 PM
One thing about singers struggling in NEPV - the portions aren't that easy.

There's no question the prior-gen singers like SPB-SJ, when in top form, would have oodhith thaLLified the job (and would have even made it appear as if those portions were not tough)...but those portions are not cakewalk when I try to sing along :oops:

app_engine
24th September 2012, 11:25 PM
Actually, all the songs - with the exception of the beer 'ennOdu vA vA enRu' - are 'tough-to-sing' variety.

That way, people will struggle to even hum them in bathroom.

Another reason why 'ennOdu vA vA' will be more popular than others with the masses.

app_engine
24th September 2012, 11:33 PM
However, Yuvan singing the first line of pallavi ("sAyndhu sAyndhu") in a different mettu on stage was unsahikkable. That song was saved on stage by the orchestra & the female singer. Apart from karNa kodooram, singing in almost a different mettu was not expected from a rAsA vArisu who is also a successful mettu maker :shock:

One thing interesting about Yuvan was "almost-not-looking-at-the-paper-and-still-remembering-the-lines", :clap:

kiru
25th September 2012, 01:43 AM
One thing about singers struggling in NEPV - the portions aren't that easy.

There's no question the prior-gen singers like SPB-SJ, when in top form, would have oodhith thaLLified the job (and would have even made it appear as if those portions were not tough)...but those portions are not cakewalk when I try to sing along :oops:

Right.. I miss the legendary singers in IR's albums. I am not fond of Karthik. To me he sounds as bland as Tippu on the softer side. It was very difficult for me to hear him sing the hits that the directors wanted. Yuvan, made a mess of what he sang on stage, even my wife who was doing some chore elsewhere in the house, said, "oh my goodness, he is really bad at it". (but I think he did ok in the studio).
I did miss SPB specifically. I think he would have taken ennOdu vaa vaa to greater heights.

app_engine
25th September 2012, 02:07 AM
One thing that I was expecting with a Gautam-IR album was a guitar-thookkal score, assuming that G is a big fan of g.

I may be correct in that assumption - vAraNam Ayiram had Surya guitaring / G's general preference of songs like en iniya pon, kOdai kAlakkARRE etc / VTV had guitar chords as BGM for many portions / the first NN song teaser got izhaiththufied with lead by G's friend / G specifically telling IR 'we have guitar sound here' etc.

Even for the launch function, we've seen a guitarist walking around with Karthik, G gave special intro to the guitarist, and he was even allowed to play around with IR's vocals for G's choices.

We also know how prolific rAsA is with guitar (lead / bass / chords, his scores are inimitable).

Interestingly, however, rAsA chose to thavidu-podi-Akkify such foolish expectations :lol: He took a very different, guru-like route and mirattified with (non-guitar)strings & brass sections and made guitar look like an insignificant toy in the whole scheme of things :shock:

"neenga nenaikkiRa mAthiri music kodukka nAn enna podippayalA" - apdeengRAr :clap:

app_engine
25th September 2012, 02:19 AM
Now one question remains - rAsA jazz padichchu pAss paNNeettArA, illaiyA?
:wink:
:lol2:

writeface
25th September 2012, 02:55 AM
Right.. I miss the legendary singers in IR's albums.
I did miss SPB specifically. I think he would have taken ennOdu vaa vaa to greater heights.

+1. SPB would be a perfect fit for this song.
Gokul.

writeface
25th September 2012, 02:57 AM
Now one question remains - rAsA jazz padichchu pAss paNNeettArA, illaiyA?
:wink:
:lol2:

Paa padathilayE Ph.D pannittaar:) (remember the piano interlude in Gum Sum Gum)

irir123
25th September 2012, 08:50 AM
one of my students who also sings in local choir has asked for some time to give his feedback abt NEPV - he is a bit baffled by the music - he called it 'weird, odd, hard to put a finger on - the quality is definitely top-notch, but i need time to give a proper review of the same' !!

suresh
25th September 2012, 09:14 AM
Kiru,
Second you. I cannot put this mildly enough - I detest Karthik's singing, think he's the most over-rated singer of these times. He sort of seems to think that it's cool to glide through lyrics without a proper resolution to each word or sentence.As though he needs to prove that singing can be effortless and that there's a camera focussed on his face all the time, so he needs to look good and cool in every frame. SPB would've killed 'Ennodu Vaa Vaa', that was straight up his alley. If I were Gautham, I'd have had a diff set of male singers in this album (barring 'Vaanam Mella' of course) - 1 Sayndhu Sayndhu - Srinivas 2 Kaatrai Konjam - Unni Menon 3 Pudikkale Mamu - Shankar Mahadevan (tightly controlled though) & Velmurugan 4 Ennodu -the SPB 5 Pengal Endral - Vijay Prakash or KK. Also, Shreya for Bela. But since IR doesn't particularly favour this bunch, I'd have brought Rahul Nambiar/Vijay Yesudas/Haricharan into the mix. That the songs survived such singing is the real magic.

musiukunit
25th September 2012, 10:37 AM
Kiru,
Second you. I cannot put this mildly enough - I detest Karthik's singing, think he's the most over-rated singer of these times. He sort of seems to think that it's cool to glide through lyrics without a proper resolution to each word or sentence.As though he needs to prove that singing can be effortless and that there's a camera focussed on his face all the time, so he needs to look good and cool in every frame. SPB would've killed 'Ennodu Vaa Vaa', that was straight up his alley. If I were Gautham, I'd have had a diff set of male singers in this album (barring 'Vaanam Mella' of course) - 1 Sayndhu Sayndhu - Srinivas 2 Kaatrai Konjam - Unni Menon 3 Pudikkale Mamu - Shankar Mahadevan (tightly controlled though) & Velmurugan 4 Ennodu -the SPB 5 Pengal Endral - Vijay Prakash or KK. Also, Shreya for Bela. But since IR doesn't particularly favour this bunch, I'd have brought Rahul Nambiar/Vijay Yesudas/Haricharan into the mix. That the songs survived such singing is the real magic.

I think from a musical perspective all combinations that you mention are good. But from a situation, Mood of the movie and the lead actors i dont think these singers wont suit. When GVM asked raja how he decides singers raja replied its simple and based on lead actors..I am very sure ennodu vaa vaa and katrai konjam will be perfect for Jiva. The situation which GVM explained for Saindhu Saindhu.. drizzle outside..lovers inside the car..he might have needed a razor sharp voice and hence yuvan is perfect for the song though his singing may be off color.

Pudikala mame singer for the rock portions i think has brought the right rock and kicking attitude. I love the way he leaves the last decibel at the end of the bar for every line (the way he sings padikura colle.........ge)
Sattru munbu, mudhal murai untouchable from singers perspective

There are two songs in think could have been somebody else

Vanam mella from Hariharan..I love rajas voice.. but just feel it brings too much of sweetness to the song..Shreya for Bela
Pengal endral from some other hard rock singer..some different voice

kiru
25th September 2012, 11:57 AM
.. He sort of seems to think that it's cool to glide through lyrics without a proper resolution to each word or sentence.As though he needs to prove that singing can be effortless ...
Exactly Suresh.. I like Rahul Nambiar's earnestness and Vijay Yesudas for his genetic lineage in the voice ..I like the "tightly controlled" qualifier for SM :-) Looks like we all have a consensus on SPB for ennodu vaa vaa.. amazing singer !!!

kiru
25th September 2012, 12:03 PM
...he called it 'weird, odd, hard to put a finger on ... !!
Right reaction..you dont want to hear "interesting", "great" from american folks ..for sure..

kiru
25th September 2012, 12:10 PM

"neenga nenaikkiRa mAthiri music kodukka nAn enna podippayalA" - apdeengRAr :clap:

you are right.. I think he wanted to surprise GVM .. and he surprised us all ..do you think you and me can code at 70 ? :-)

groucho070
25th September 2012, 03:26 PM
Instead of SPB for ennodu vava, I'd go for SPB Charan, for that "youth" angle, though SPBC's singing can be dangerously close to his dad's (how many can successfully dissect that Dhanush song?).

Gregorysab
25th September 2012, 03:38 PM
Instead of SPB for ennodu vava, I'd go for SPB Charan, for that "youth" angle, though SPBC's singing can be dangerously close to his dad's

Hmm.. this is a new perspective and i kind of agree with you! SP Charan would have been an interesting choice - IF his voice is still as it was in Kaadhal Sadugug in ARR's Alai Payuthey (digression: I so love that composition by ARR and felt Charan was such an apt choice for that song)

brigs
25th September 2012, 04:40 PM
SatRu munbu song is so adorable... genius composition! :thumbsup! Loving it!

Ramya has sung well too.

Gregorysab
25th September 2012, 05:07 PM
SatRu munbu song is so adorable... genius composition! :thumbsup! Loving it!

Ramya has sung well too.

From WCM perspective, it is THE BEST composition in that album (for me).

brigs
25th September 2012, 05:16 PM
From WCM perspective, it is THE BEST composition in that album (for me).

aakarsh - what is WCM?

Hulkster
25th September 2012, 06:03 PM
Hulkster,
Idha vida clear'a express paNNa mudiyaathu. Thank you. :clap: We can develop a beautiful story behind his orchestration and every lude. He goes away beyond the tune (main melody) during the interludes taking our imagination beyond this world only to come back in time for the charanams. There are more twists, turns and surprise at every interlude and in every line of the melody (both in terms of tune and orchestration). The dense layer of orchestration in his interludes each can lead to a different story altogether which we can hardly see these capabilities in others.

Even in bringing new sounds and new instruments he is the pioneer. The beauty when he brings new sound is out of his own thoughts. Integrating (and playing) two or more contradicting instruments together brings a new sound. I have written about this many times in Raja Duets thread. I can happily say that the new sounds he is accomplishing is indigenously built by him rather than borrowed. We can see the pain and hardwork in every note he creates. If anyone is talking about instruments (especially live instruments), it can never be other than Maestro. In NEPV, he brought back the lost instruments of Middle ages, Renaissance up to the current new age instruments starting from the forgotten bagpipes, oboe, oboe'damor, bassoon, harp to the classical piano, guitar, violins, cellos, flutes to new age beautiful synths. The highlight of NEPV is how he integrates all these instruments of various periods in one composition and yet feel friendliness among each instruments and also bringing in contemporariness and appeal to every listener of today. If this is not path-breaking, yes I agree, the path is not breaking, instead Maestro expands our path beyond our imagination.

That's why when I say his music is pure, it is pure not just in terms of genres or novelty, it is 100% pure and original from his brain to our ears and souls, no adulteration in between. It takes decades to understand Maestro's music, let's leave them alone who are always stuck with new sounds and instruments when it is right in front of them to identify, when they don't want to see this deliberately.

:exactly: There is this aspect of his song, that no matter how he composes, it always reflects the emotion of the situation very strongly, like as if the song itself is the soul of the situation. Sometimes when i try to extract the voice out from the songs and listen just to the backgrounds, i can feel the emotional impact so strongly that i sometimes purposely avoid all his melancholic songs because i know i would be depressed that instant.

app_engine
25th September 2012, 06:59 PM
aakarsh - what is WCM?

Western Classical Music

csramasami
26th September 2012, 12:40 AM
http://www.angloindianmusic.com/NEWS(2789933).htm

app_engine
26th September 2012, 03:38 AM
'ennOdu vA vA enRu' on loop in the car...I even had a parking lot listen this morning :oops:

pAttu nallA shOkkA keedhubA :-)

Sureshs65
26th September 2012, 09:58 AM
OK, now all those of you who can sing all the interludes in all the songs of NEPV please raise your hands !!! Ah, as expected most of you have raised your hands.

Well, this is one album where the supporting music has embedded itself so easily into our ears as the main melody. I mean there are so many songs whose interludes we all know and cannot sing the song without singing those interludes but in this movie, it is happening to me for _every_ song. Whether it be the minimalistic 'Pengal Enral' or the power packed, 'mudhal murai' or the grand second interlude of 'saindhu saindhu' or the synth of 'ennodu vaa'. Not to mention the WCM beauties of 'satru munbu' and 'vaanam mella' and the jazz treat of 'katrai konjam'.

The second interlude of 'saindhu saindhu' especially is a lovely. Even while I am driving the car and my mind has shifted from the music to the road, this interlude draws me back into the music immediately. I _have_ to sing along. It is a complex piece of orchestration but it is now so familiar that I sing it as if I composed it !! Then there is 'satru munbu'. The multi layered and complex interludes are now child's play. When you listen to orchestration you understand how much melody Raja has built into the work that inspite of the multiple layers and the very complex interaction between the instruments, you are still able to sing the whole interlude without missing a single note. For me it happens that when I am singing the main melody loud, my 'mind voice' is singing the backing orchestration!!! That's how we have become now. Especially when you come to the 'thottu thottu' part towards the end, we get confused as to whether we should sing the main melody or we should sing the chorus that happens in the background!!!

For this reason, I think NEPV is an unique album. Every note of every song in the album is now memorized. And the beauty is that we did not even try to memorize it!!

csramasami
26th September 2012, 10:32 AM
OK, now all those of you who can sing all the interludes in all the songs of NEPV please raise your hands !!! Ah, as expected most of you have raised your hands.

Well, this is one album where the supporting music has embedded itself so easily into our ears as the main melody. I mean there are so many songs whose interludes we all know and cannot sing the song without singing those interludes but in this movie, it is happening to me for _every_ song. Whether it be the minimalistic 'Pengal Enral' or the power packed, 'mudhal murai' or the grand second interlude of 'saindhu saindhu' or the synth of 'ennodu vaa'. Not to mention the WCM beauties of 'satru munbu' and 'vaanam mella' and the jazz treat of 'katrai konjam'.

The second interlude of 'saindhu saindhu' especially is a lovely. Even while I am driving the car and my mind has shifted from the music to the road, this interlude draws me back into the music immediately. I _have_ to sing along. It is a complex piece of orchestration but it is now so familiar that I sing it as if I composed it !! Then there is 'satru munbu'. The multi layered and complex interludes are now child's play. When you listen to orchestration you understand how much melody Raja has built into the work that inspite of the multiple layers and the very complex interaction between the instruments, you are still able to sing the whole interlude without missing a single note. For me it happens that when I am singing the main melody loud, my 'mind voice' is singing the backing orchestration!!! That's how we have become now. Especially when you come to the 'thottu thottu' part towards the end, we get confused as to whether we should sing the main melody or we should sing the chorus that happens in the background!!!

For this reason, I think NEPV is an unique album. Every note of every song in the album is now memorized. And the beauty is that we did not every try to memorize it!!

+ 1000 for every line. :bow:
so +infinity

Sureshs65
26th September 2012, 12:02 PM
Thanks CSR.

Gregorysab
26th September 2012, 12:07 PM

For this reason, I think NEPV is an unique album. Every note of every song in the album is now memorized. And the beauty is that we did not every try to memorize it!!

Not just this album, I usually have the habit of singing everything - main melody + instruments (the result is a great comedy show for my wife). Even main melody, i sing gibberish lyrics, a mix of tamil and whatever my mouth can fit in at that point of time. As for this album, the comedy quotient in my attempts have increased tremendously and my wife laughs like crazy listening to what all I sing. Examples like... I sing "Thalli Thalli PonaalumDaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaooooooooon... Paadhamarku thoolaalumDaaaaoooon...Thangamaadupendraalum Paaradeeee". the Daaaooooon there are cello portions :-D

Even Sattru Munba, I sing the closing line of Pallavi as "Ellaame poidella solllaadhaaaaa.., Borororoyroy(cello portions)" :-) Or my Mudhal Murai rendition goes as "Mudhal Murai paarka paadalumDarararraaa.. Mudha etha podi ponalumDarararara... idhayathil enoooorrrdhadhadhadhadha.dha dha dha dha DHA.." the last word of pallavi "Baaram" never comes in my rendition :-D

Ok tamil fans, dont blast me for spoiling tamil there. I admit I sing gibberish..

I can even sing Composer's breath from Nothing But Wind, in Gibberish :-)

Sureshs65
26th September 2012, 12:47 PM
aakarsh,

Don't worry. Tamil fans will think you are singing stylishly :D Afterall they have been weaned on Udit Narayan, Sonu Nigam and co :)

KV
26th September 2012, 12:49 PM
Sureshji, :exactly:, seriya sonninga.

aakarsh, :rotfl2:
I'd be guilty of doing the same with some of the telugu songs, especially the fast-paced/dance numbers. (jagada jagada can be a laugh riot! :oops:)

rajabhakthan
26th September 2012, 12:57 PM
Sureshs65,

I protest : the songs Sonu Nigam has sung for thalaivar have been faultless as far as diction is concerned : "pU Puththadhu" in Mumbai Express, "enna pAttu vENum unakku" in that Fazil film come to mind readily.

Gregorysab
26th September 2012, 01:02 PM
aakarsh,

Don't worry. Tamil fans will think you are singing stylishly :D Afterall they have been weaned on Udit Narayan, Sonu Nigam and co :)

hahahah! :-D but wife, who is the lone audience, doesn't think that i am singing stylishly and bursts laughing :-D

Gregorysab
26th September 2012, 01:03 PM
Sureshji, :exactly:, seriya sonninga.

aakarsh, :rotfl2:
I'd be guilty of doing the same with some of the telugu songs, especially the fast-paced/dance numbers. (jagada jagada can be a laugh riot! :oops:)

Dont worry, with the kind of lyrics some songs have, among those fast paced ones (exlcude Jagada Jagada), I think your gibberish can be more ear-friendly than the actual Telugu words there :-) Suresh too will agree with this :-)

Sureshs65
26th September 2012, 01:12 PM
rajabhaktan,

While I do get your point, honestly in both those songs I am not too happy with Sonu's diction. I agree he is far better than Udit, who ofcourse is unbeatable in this regard in any south indian language.

Sureshs65
26th September 2012, 01:13 PM
aakarsh,

Ofcourse, gibberish is any day better than lot of nonsense lyrics we hear in some of the fast paced Telugu film songs :D

Gregorysab
26th September 2012, 01:31 PM
Suresh,

Lyrics are the main reason why I cannot dare to play some of the fast paced Raaja songs (for some Chiranjeevi, Nagarjuna, Balakrishna films) at home and confine them to my ear-phone listening only :-) Imagine - if I play "Seethakoka chiluka" from "Stuartupuram Police Station" at home, I will be kicked out of my house by the end of Pallavi :-D

musiukunit
26th September 2012, 01:58 PM
It is a complex piece of orchestration but it is now so familiar that I sing it as if I composed it !! Then there is 'satru munbu'. The multi layered and complex interludes are now child's play. When you listen to orchestration you understand how much melody Raja has built into the work that inspite of the multiple layers and the very complex interaction between the instruments, you are still able to sing the whole interlude without missing a single note. For me it happens that when I am singing the main melody loud, my 'mind voice' is singing the backing orchestration!!! That's how we have become now. Especially when you come to the 'thottu thottu' part towards the end, we get confused as to whether we should sing the main melody or we should sing the chorus that happens in the background!!!

For this reason, I think NEPV is an unique album. Every note of every song in the album is now memorized. And the beauty is that we did not even try to memorize it!!
Thats exactly what i thought today.It is as if we know these songs already. Particularly Sattru munbu, it is the modern classic climax song like say sangeetha jathi mullai for yester years ..You know how the tune is flowing..how the orchestrations are..you clearly know how he is going to build the crescendo for the grand finish. Cannot beleive that these songs are just born for him.

groucho070
26th September 2012, 02:29 PM
hahahah! :-D but wife, who is the lone audience, doesn't think that i am singing stylishly and bursts laughing :-DHaha, aakarsh, do you have to spell it out in here, officela enna oru mathiri pArkirAngga, me trying to stiffle my laughter. I do the same thing with the interludes that I can remember. Wife escape, but the torture is on my son. Not all songs, but the ones I remember. Back when we were younger, my brother and I used to do that. I usually take care of the percussion part, he'd do the rest (Poove Semboove and Tenmozhi enthan tenmozhi especially, so you can imagine when this happened).

MelHarmony
26th September 2012, 11:24 PM

+10e+10
this has been my hobby for the past 20 years and keeps me moving (to sing along the interludes).....though it is multilayered it is so well defined that it becomes registered easily...this is what "written" music is all about...it will be so easy to listen and enjoy but is very difficult to create...This is also the reason why compositions of great masters are even now being played and enjoyed...they are so well defined and structured...

MelHarmony
26th September 2012, 11:29 PM
one of my students who also sings in local choir has asked for some time to give his feedback abt NEPV - he is a bit baffled by the music - he called it 'weird, odd, hard to put a finger on - the quality is definitely top-notch, but i need time to give a proper review of the same' !!

irir

any feedback from the musicians to whom you gave for review?

MelHarmony
26th September 2012, 11:31 PM
Right reaction..you dont want to hear "interesting", "great" from american folks ..for sure..

any reason for this??

irir123
27th September 2012, 01:38 AM
any reason for this??

if an american professional says "interesting" - it means its bad!

professional musicians wud never say "great" - especially something they are hearing for the first time! americans are not used to hyperbole, their comments would be understated - i have heard them call Niagara falls 'impressive' while most of us would go bonkers calling it 'amazing, spectacular' etc etc!

Gregorysab
27th September 2012, 03:48 PM
if an american professional says "interesting" - it means its bad!

professional musicians wud never say "great" - especially something they are hearing for the first time! americans are not used to hyperbole, their comments would be understated - i have heard them call Niagara falls 'impressive' while most of us would go bonkers calling it 'amazing, spectacular' etc etc!

Interesting ;-)

thumburu
27th September 2012, 08:24 PM
Haha, aakarsh, do you have to spell it out in here, officela enna oru mathiri pArkirAngga, me trying to stiffle my laughter. I do the same thing with the interludes that I can remember. Wife escape, but the torture is on my son. Not all songs, but the ones I remember. Back when we were younger, my brother and I used to do that. I usually take care of the percussion part, he'd do the rest (Poove Semboove and Tenmozhi enthan tenmozhi especially, so you can imagine when this happened).

Interesting [and i MEAN IN OUR iNDIAN WAY] confessions :)

For me its always kaatrai konjam , the easiest target to hum the instruments in between the song and I do it like a typical SJ humming of the 80's.
My fav are the first 2 charanam opening lines that I often break into .
Sample these : charanam opening lines :
Ooril vEru peNNe illai neril undu ErAlam - PABA PABA BA PABA PABA PABA PABA BA PABA PA....[Imagine SJ's PA BA BA BA of "uravenum pudhiya vaanil"]
Next line would be also gibberish Tamil worded with the same tune as above or even the same words as above repeat
- And this time follwed by turu ru roo ru thooroo roo roo ..... [manasukkuLa SJ's famous "thu ru thu thu thu thu" of metti oli" humming paadaradhaa oru nenappu] .

Esp in "kaatrai konjam", the oboe, strings all seem to be vying with Karthik and finally emerge triumphant ha ha...

app_engine
27th September 2012, 08:51 PM
Esp in "kaatrai konjam", the oboe, strings all seem to be vying with Karthik and finally emerge triumphant ha ha...

I listen to the song in my mind as 'karoke', filtering out the male voice...it's so lovable that way!

I can't wait to get the karoke version released!

Nerd
27th September 2012, 09:57 PM
Find myself looping (one of my least favorites earlier) peNgaL enRaal more often than the others these days, mentally removing Yuvar's voice of course. Regret that I excluded it while voting in this thread.

What a wildly imaginative song, coming from a 70 year old. I don't know if I will be able to do normal day to day stuff when I am 70 but look at him, coming up with such creative landmark albums, writing each note at this age. Wonder what else is left in store.

app_engine
27th September 2012, 11:19 PM
"Rum" on loop in the car!

True to the tag, it has the kudhirai effect and I tend to turn into very aggressive driver :oops: Car-ai motor bike mAthiri Ottittu irukkEn :shock:

Easily miles ahead of others in the album - absolutely no blemish (except that the length is too short) and I continue to wonder how Gautam will picturize this new millennium's 'azhagu malarAda'!

The drummer really excelled in this number and is in tough competition with the strings players & Sunithi for the top spot! adhilum andha hi-hat vachchu viLaiyAdal in the interlude - wow!

This song is a real challenge by IR to all the current composers in India - enga, mAtch paNNunga pAppOm! (And, the song is in pure IR-genre!)

app_engine
27th September 2012, 11:26 PM
Also, this number is a "true-continuation" of the original ninaivellAm nithyA songs, IMHO. The interlude can easily fit into a third interlude to the original 'nee thAnE en pon vasantham' song (or 'pani vizhum malarvanam')! And the song's innovation levels are in that range as well. Plus, it gives me a personal "high" feeling in the same way I got when NN came out during college days!

It feels like IR got the adrenaline levels of 1980 or something like that!

kiru
28th September 2012, 12:03 AM
Suggestion to irir123 - a copy of the CD with a tip to listen to muthal murai, saRRu munbu should reach the hands of Sarah Brighthman or her agents. I can help in mailing it out etc but need your help in the template/contacts etc.

app_engine
28th September 2012, 12:13 AM
Per the link posted by senthilv.com in the titbits thread, the french bakery special cake for IR will feature pic from NEPV as well :-)

This ~1000 kg ~1000 photo cake (with the proceeds @ Rs 1500/kg going to charity) must have got triggered from the recently rekindled IR-mania, largely due to the NEPV album / launch concert...

app_engine
28th September 2012, 05:36 AM
appA < $20K car
paiyan > $60K car :-)

idhukkuppEr thAn "munnERRam":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uDk32Nr8B4&feature=related

app_engine
28th September 2012, 05:42 AM
Jiva'vukku nEram :
(somebody did a mugamoodi youtube with kARRaikkonjam niRkachchonnEn)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDapzj3hiOo&feature=related

Sureshs65
28th September 2012, 10:01 AM
thumburu,

LOL at the description. I do the same.

app,

Yes, 'mudhal murai' is just out of the world in every sense of the word. Each instrument in it vying with the voice for the top spot. What energy levels the song has. Have to sing the song along completely even when I drive hitting the steering wheel when 'mazhaiya veyila' starts.

Nerd,

True. Pengal endral is an excellent song with some superb twists in the tune, which is very logical according to me. I wrote about it in my blog earlier.

Gregorysab
28th September 2012, 11:22 AM
Find myself looping (one of my least favorites earlier) peNgaL enRaal more often than the others these days, mentally removing Yuvar's voice of course.

My thoughts exactly! I still wonder why the choice of Yuvan there (upon repeated listenings, i feel he is not a perfect choice) when Raaja already roped in Suraj Jagan - who is extremely popular for rock songs - for pudikele maamu! I hear NEPV everyday but i still cannot get over this sore thumb called Yuvan in this album - be it saindhu or this song. Infact, I have compiled a cd for car that has all songs of NEPV with saindhu saindhu replaced by telugu version. Unfortunately, pengal endraal in telugu has yuvan only :-(

brigs
28th September 2012, 11:46 AM
My thoughts exactly! I still wonder why the choice of Yuvan there (upon repeated listenings, i feel he is not a perfect choice) when Raaja already roped in Suraj Jagan - who is extremely popular for rock songs - for pudikele maamu! I hear NEPV everyday but i still cannot get over this sore thumb called Yuvan in this album - be it saindhu or this song. Infact, I have compiled a cd for car that has all songs of NEPV with saindhu saindhu replaced by telugu version. Unfortunately, pengal endraal in telugu has yuvan only :-(

GVM said that it was him who wanted Yuvan to sing those songs. It wasn't IR's choice/decision. GVM deserves credit/critizism for this :)

Gregorysab
28th September 2012, 01:31 PM
GVM said that it was him who wanted Yuvan to sing those songs. It wasn't IR's choice/decision. GVM deserves credit/critizism for this :)

he does but given that GVM gave a freehand to IR, IR could have easily told him "dude, i think there are much better singers that suit these songs"! He didnt :-(.. I somehow dont buy the argument of "Yuvan's voice suits the emotion there"! Saindhu Saindhu sounds much much better in Telugu. Emotion being the same, how come Shaan delivers better than Yuvan? even for Pengal endraal - I am sure there are much better singers who can not only suit the emotion there but also make it sound more better, vocally.. i would blame both here - for looking at commercial angle more. I feel this all the more because in all other songs (the vocals were just right for the singers; vaanam mella is an exception though - i felt even that song could have been much better with any other singers). this is precisely why I feel the songs which score 10/10 in this album are Kaatre konjum, Mudhal murai and sattru munba and to some extent ennodu vaa vaa.

jaiganes
28th September 2012, 08:21 PM
Saaindhu saaindhu is a delight and u1 is apt - he is not that great in pengal endraal - but still is effective..
Much of u1 bashing is at best a simple prejudice and not an objective recollection of listening experience - Having said that,
much of what we do with respect to observing and appreciating an art form is highly and intensely 'subjective'.

irir123
28th September 2012, 08:28 PM
Suggestion to irir123 - a copy of the CD with a tip to listen to muthal murai, saRRu munbu should reach the hands of Sarah Brighthman or her agents. I can help in mailing it out etc but need your help in the template/contacts etc.

it could be done - with one condition - ONLY ORIGINAL NEPV CD please - already two ppl have expressed their unhappiness even about iTUNES downloaded stuff - one jazz reviewer has outright rejected my invitation to review once I told him, i dont have the original CD - he had initially been enthusiastic abt NEPV after hearing the samples!

if it is to be sent to someone at a professional level, ONLY original CDs should be sent

you may PM me with more details abt Sarah as well as what is it that you have in mind

contrary to what many ppl think in this hub, things work way differently abroad, esp in the US where copyright laws are very stringently observed with a team from the department of justice very vigilant

irir123
28th September 2012, 08:42 PM
NEPV has made it to a reputed Film Music site !

http://www.filmmusicsite.com/soundtracks.cgi?id=9605

brigs
28th September 2012, 09:28 PM
he does but given that GVM gave a freehand to IR, IR could have easily told him "dude, i think there are much better singers that suit these songs"! He didnt :-(.. I somehow dont buy the argument of "Yuvan's voice suits the emotion there"!

no no... GVM said that IR can have freehand to use any orchestra or compose anywhere he wants. According to GVM, he not only asked for Yuvan to sing couple of songs... but he even asked for certain instruments to be used while composing songs - my memory is vague but any of you remember this from the NEPV episodes on Jaya TV or maybe I read this on this forum posts somewhere?

I don't think Yuvan did a bad job with Saindhu Saindhu... He really has that youth feel. Not all that bad... I will try to get catch the Telugu version some time.

jaiganes
29th September 2012, 02:47 AM
just a joke.. Vijaykanth says in ramana 'Doctor kittayin lawyer kittayin sollave koodaadha vaarthai 'evlo selavaanaalum parava illai'' (sentence not to be uttered to doctor or lawyer - ' I am ready to pay anything to save X or Y').
But producer has to say that to IR - to get a whalloping musical album like NEPV... ;-)

Gregorysab
29th September 2012, 09:12 AM
Saaindhu saaindhu is a delight and u1 is apt - he is not that great in pengal endraal - but still is effective..
Much of u1 bashing is at best a simple prejudice and not an objective recollection of listening experience - Having said that,
much of what we do with respect to observing and appreciating an art form is highly and intensely 'subjective'.

The composition is a delight for sure but I disagree that yuvan is apt! I asked at least 7 people who have more keen ears than I do in terms of identifying apasruthis. I had a doubt if he was going off key and everyone confirmed it. As for emotion, it's a romantic ballad, not a drunken-revelry song where apasruthis can fit the emotion. The orchestration is so gentle - like suresh wrote in his blog - that it really demanded a soft voice and not coarse voice that yuvan has. And forget musically knowledgeable folks, even generic audience.. like at least 11 of my friends gave a reaction "why spoil such a noise song with such a wrong singer"

I agree that yuvan's coarse voice could be the characteristic that would've suited pengal endral.. But I felt, as much as the choice of yuvan was almost right here, he doesn't match the composition in the 1st half (yuvan's fault IMO). I felt his voice becomes effective, as you rightly said it, from charanam onwards. That's where I felt he got it right.

MelHarmony
29th September 2012, 10:02 PM
The composition is a delight for sure but I disagree that yuvan is apt! I asked at least 7 people who have more keen ears than I do in terms of identifying apasruthis. I had a doubt if he was going off key and everyone confirmed it. As for emotion, it's a romantic ballad, not a drunken-revelry song where apasruthis can fit the emotion. The orchestration is so gentle - like suresh wrote in his blog - that it really demanded a soft voice and not coarse voice that yuvan has. And forget musically knowledgeable folks, even generic audience.. like at least 11 of my friends gave a reaction "why spoil such a noise song with such a wrong singer"

I agree that yuvan's coarse voice could be the characteristic that would've suited pengal endral.. But I felt, as much as the choice of yuvan was almost right here, he doesn't match the composition in the 1st half (yuvan's fault IMO). I felt his voice becomes effective, as you rightly said it, from charanam onwards. That's where I felt he got it right.

Saaindhu is one milestone song in Ilayaraja. Hee has never done such a song earlier and Yuvan is indeed the apt choice. After so many songs which proved to bee diffcult to sing or dictated totally by Ilayaraja, this one is packed with lot of emotions. This song is not for sruthi suthham, as we associate with other songs. when it is sleepy night mood, who will sing with 100% sruthi sutham.... this will fit perfectly as "T" for the situation

MelHarmony
29th September 2012, 10:35 PM
[While listening to the awesome songs of Neethane En Ponvasantham (CD | mp3) by Ilaiyaraaja, I made an interesting discovery. To me, it looks all the songs end in the Panchamam (Pa note). Not sure if it is intentional or if it is coincidental. Songs ending with Shadjamam (Sa note) is very common. But all 8 songs (actually 9) from the album ending in Panchamam was interesting]

Good find!

I have a few minor comments.
Mostly IR songs will have scale differences between songs in a single film. This helps in a great way making the user feel to get a different experience of the raaga or harmony. But due to several reasons such as time constraints, composing sequence/composer's mood, motivation, film requirements, IR has provided this kind of single scale albums in the past. we can name them a lot, I believe from his 900 odd films.

But for NEPV I feel the reason for this single scale album are multipleIT could be cause of the following 2 main reasons...

1. When scale changes, retuning need to be done for many instruments if not all(particularly percussion). For ex., by default, percussion instrument will be tuned to E major in an orchestra. Piano doesn't need retuning. Except for a few instruments, most of the instruments require retuning when scale changes. There are many instruments (as always in many IR albums) used in this album. Typically tuning so many instruments for different scales for each song in an album is not an easy task as it is time consuming. First of all it requires lot of sound engineering effort to get it done before even rehearsal. Retuning percussion is not easy...
2. Another factor that comes to my mind is, this chosen scale actually suits both IR and YSR . Going beyond this scale, means they have to strain a lot to sing which would not have come out well. Hence IR would have judiciously chosen this scale. This is the not the first time he doing this way. I am seeing this being done for a very long whenever he sings.
3. Another factor is the sequence of tune creation. I dont know which was the first tune for which GVM requested IR a song. Going from that song, the comsposing sequence will actually affect the scale of the other songs because when IR creates a tune and records the tune in a particular scale and OKAYED by GVM he will not change that scale for that song. Also for the next song he will be influenced by other factors such who to put for singing. Also as we know all songs were composed in a single sitting and with the same love theme, I feel the panchamam scale for all songs is not a surprise.

dochu
30th September 2012, 08:30 PM
small digression:
While I was re-watching the show. I saw Karthik, commenting that out of 3 songs he sang, 2 will stand for atleast 30 yrs in future. I guess the one he left out was the pudikalamamu which was my least favorite song.

The way he spoke showed his confidence. But at the same time I am surprised he said that quite bluntly. Maybe it is due to 1. slip up or 2. Over confidence and lack of humility. We all do slip up once in a while. But to say this at an early stage of career was bit surprising to me.

As an example, when GVM introduced Katrai konjam song, he said it was favorite among all good ones. That shows humility.

KV
30th September 2012, 09:04 PM
haha! True! When he said 2 out of 3 songs will 'pass the timetest', it got me thinking too!
These days, while regularly looping on the album, it's kaatrai konjam where I think his singing is the weakest, especially in the charanams where he doesn't hit the notes bang on - 'almost there, but not quite there' levels. The guy's surely talented; just a little lack of focus, maybe :roll:.

jeyabalamurugan
1st October 2012, 05:40 AM
haha! True! When he said 2 out of 3 songs will 'pass the timetest', it got me thinking too!
These days, while regularly looping on the album, it's kaatrai konjam where I think his singing is the weakest, especially in the charanams where he doesn't hit the notes bang on - 'almost there, but not quite there' levels. The guy's surely talented; just a little lack of focus, maybe :roll:.

Karthik spoke his mind. There is nothing special about the second half of Pudikkala Maamu. The first half of Sooraj version is really rocking and the guitar prelude is really path breaking. But the song loses steam in the second half. May be second half of the song is situational and could be elevated by GVM's picturisation, but from the vocal stand point it won't stand the time test, IMHO.

jeyabalamurugan
1st October 2012, 06:22 AM
Well said jaiganes. Yuvan is fabulous in both these songs. He is truely a youth ICON of Tamil Music, well deserved to be in this so called "YOUTH APPEAL" album. I know there are other singers, but why would Isaignani go elsewhere when there is already one in the household. Given the situation of two young lovers on a rainy day inside a car, Saindhu Saindhu needs a haunting (kaathalil sokki our kirakkathula) treatment and Yuvan/Ramya just delivered that. Yuvan has been continiously criticized for his singing, so was Isaiganani in his earlier days. Many use to complain that the songs rendered by Isaignani might have been much better with SPB or Yesudoss. But those songs stood the test of time due to the emotions and life injected into them by Isaignani's voice. We need to wait and see how Yuvan's songs will be listened 10 yrs from now.

app_engine
1st October 2012, 06:59 AM
I feel the panchamam scale for all songs is not a surprise.

I don't know whether that blogger means that way...I think he simply states that all songs end with a 'pA' note, which is kind of not a "calm ending" but "thokki niRkal". While such "thokki niRkal" ending is not unusual for some odd song here and there, such ending for ALL songs in a movie / album is unusual, according to the blogger (who ofcourse took the notes from our hubber skr).

So, it may not be stating that all songs are in the same scale (though I'm not knowledgeable to comment on scales / rAgams / swarams etc).

Per my ears, this is one phenomenal album by way of VARIETY :shock:

I can't help but drag my liquor post again :oops:

oru kambLeet liquor shop (comprising of all variety) in this album!

app_engine
1st October 2012, 07:04 AM
Regarding Karthik telling (only) 2 songs making it past decades - :thumbsup:

ippadiyellAm manasil pattadhai sattunnu pEsuRadhai rAsA kitta irundhu indhappaiyan kaththukkittARO ennamo :-) (chummA "show-humility" ellAm thEvai illainga)

BTW, did anyone view the "celebrities getting into the parking lot after the NEPV concert" youtube that I posted in this thread? Karthik-kkukku "andhap paraparappulayum oru kiLukiLuppu" happens..i.e. a wide-eyed female gets autograph from him :lol:)

dochu
1st October 2012, 07:34 PM
@app,
Agree he spoke his mind. But to be at an early career, and speaking bluntly, is a path to disaster. Imagine, with that attitude in a new job in an office. One would not last very long. IR can afford to be blunt as he is already on top of the peak.

KV
1st October 2012, 08:01 PM
^well, I don't agree on the policing part - as long as what one's saying is 'reasonably right', I don't find anything wrong in someone voicing his/her opinion and it needn't necessarily be judged by the person's experience. What got me thinking in this case was which two songs had the guy picked? I'd have been preening & peethifying had I composed/sung any of these three songs, especially pudikkala maamu for its crazy arrangements and twists & turns!

app_engine
1st October 2012, 08:40 PM
But to be at an early career

Going by 'oLiyilE therivadhu dEvadhaiyA' date, andhappaiyan at least 10 varushamA field'la irukkAru :-)

So, he's not all that newbie...

BTW, I told my super-boss "I can't come to work on a Sunday morning" when I was only six months old in my first job, fresh from college, and got away with it, in 1986 :-)

Nerd
1st October 2012, 09:59 PM
Yeah, early?! He has been the undisputed #1 for over 10 years now. And with hundred thousand singers around, no mean achievement. Most preferred voice for IR/ARR/Yuvan/Harris.

He dint sing the rock portions and the veedhi patthaadhEy bit (though I immensely like) longer shelf-life irukkumaa? Especially comparing the heavyweight kaattrai konjam and the mass favorite ennOdu vaa. And he cleary can't *own* it, since he dint fully sing it.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
1st October 2012, 10:07 PM
And seems like he gels well with Raja, "Ippo nee Music Director (vere) aagitta!" Karthik urimaiyOdu says "Aiyoo vENaam" :lol:

Shankar.P
2nd October 2012, 02:16 PM
NEPV - ஒரு இன்ப அவஸ்தை...
http://irandaamshankar.blogspot.in/

irir123
2nd October 2012, 11:48 PM
response / feedback about NEPV from one of my students !:

"Hello there! - This is a feedback to the new album NEETHANE EN PONVASANTHAM by LLAIYARAAJA -
when i got to the second song the music was so pleasant to my ears i turned up the volume of my computer! I am African, and even though i did not understand the words spoken in theses songs i fell in love with the good music, and the well done melodies!! And probably like many others who are not familiar with this composer, I initially thought this was an Indian band. To my big surprise, these amazing songs came from one man, who is hiding himself from the rest of the world while he should be blessing us with his outstanding talents!
Fatma, Houston, Tx"

rajaramsgi
3rd October 2012, 12:30 AM
appA < $20K car
paiyan > $60K car :-)

idhukkuppEr thAn "munnERRam":

எண்ணெய் விக்கற விலையில, ரெண்டு பேரும் ஒரே கார்ல போனா என்னவாம்? ஒரு வீட்ல தானே இருக்காங்க.. இன்னும் பவதாரிணி ஒரு கார்லேயும், கார்த்திக் ராஜா ஒரு கார்லயும் நிச்சயம் போயிருப்பாங்க.

jaiganes
3rd October 2012, 01:49 AM
எண்ணெய் விக்கற விலையில, ரெண்டு பேரும் ஒரே கார்ல போனா என்னவாம்? ஒரு வீட்ல தானே இருக்காங்க.. இன்னும் பவதாரிணி ஒரு கார்லேயும், கார்த்திக் ராஜா ஒரு கார்லயும் நிச்சயம் போயிருப்பாங்க.
oho ippallaam fiscal advice to celebritiesum aarambichaachaa? practice eppdi pogudhu?

app_engine
3rd October 2012, 02:20 AM
உலகத்தில் இப்படி ஒரு அதிசய மனிதர் இருக்கிறார்
(http://nithyalavanya.blogspot.com/2012/10/a-beautiful-song-from-neethane-en-pon.html)

A beautiful song from Neethane En Pon Vasantham, a film that adopted its title from my fav movie Ninaivellam Nithya.

:shock:

irir123
3rd October 2012, 10:17 PM
உலகத்தில் இப்படி ஒரு அதிசய மனிதர் இருக்கிறார்
(http://nithyalavanya.blogspot.com/2012/10/a-beautiful-song-from-neethane-en-pon.html)

:shock:

"pidichha padam, pudikkaadha padam - motor amaivadhellaam avanavan seidha vinai !"

Nerd
4th October 2012, 12:28 AM
andha blogger ammani pEr nithya. That's why she calls it her favorite film.

I don't think she has even seen that film.

app_engine
4th October 2012, 01:06 AM
andha blogger ammani pEr nithya.

Me too thought so at first...but then saw :

Posted by Deepak Vasudevan (http://www.blogger.com/profile/07429751265327853903)at 6:07 PM

:confused:

Also, look at this post :
http://nithyalavanya.blogspot.com/2010/08/nithyalavanya-is-for-lavanyadeepak-as.html

NithyaLavanya is for LavanyaDeepak as Sneha is for Cheran

Why was the name 'Nithya' prepended to 'Lavanya'?
And finally the last straw that broke the camels' back and the point that made me to zero on this name was the film "Ninaivellam Nithya" by a reputed Tamil director "Sridhar".
Kudos to Sridhar and Crew, Karthik and Gigi for the excellent presentation.

Sometime last weekend I had an opportunity to view the film. Whilst the movie songs were melodius the progress of the movie was literally hard on heart and had a tragic end where lovers unite in an eternal sleep into a rivulet in a hillock because of crazy reasons like (1) Weird discrimination based on caste practices (2) Wild rules derived out caste policies (3) 'Status' symbol (4) 'Fake' Respect (and or securing it) by the business man who was the father of Karthik. I salute Gigi for sacrificing her feelings to secure her love and save her loved on those crucial moments. I later learnt that Gigi is one of the daughter of Late 'Gemini' Ganesan (the 'Kadhal Mannan' of Kollywood). புலிக்கு பிறந்தது பூனையாகுமா? The presentation by the products of emperors of Kollywood (Gemini and SP Muthuraman) is definitely an eternal product that would surpass the life of this planet too.

As a small credit I just thought I would create the Wiki page for Ninaivellam Nithya (because it was not existing till now) and the URL is here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninaivellam_Nithya). Interestingly as I today made this Wiki and was planning to write this post parallely my Inbox was recieving a steady spurt of allegations against 'Nithya Lavanya'

app_engine
4th October 2012, 01:11 AM
So much so that the blogger created the wikipedia page for the NN movie.

The :lol: part is " புலிக்கு பிறந்தது பூனையாகுமா?" ...nalla vELai Gemini G is not reading this blog.

kiru
4th October 2012, 02:17 AM

The :lol: part is " புலிக்கு பிறந்தது பூனையாகுமா?" ...nalla vELai Gemini G is not reading this blog.

Maybe she acts well (I have not seen the movie, just saw the clips posted here) but there have been much more good looking actresses in tamil movies and I do not consider Gemini Ganesan as a handsome guy as well. I will never understand my fellow countrymen's taste :-)

app_engine
4th October 2012, 02:50 AM
Kiru sir,
ஜெமினியை நமக்கு (அதாவது ஆம்பளைகளுக்குப்) புடிக்குதா இல்லையா என்பது முக்கியமே இல்ல...பெண்களுக்கு அவர் காதல் மன்னன் ஆயாச்சு, ஜெயிச்சாச்சு :-)

ஆனா அவரோட இந்தப்பொண்ணை ஒரே படத்தோட தொரத்திட்டாங்க...தமிழ் சினிமா தப்பிச்சது!

இருந்தாலும், அந்த ஒரே படத்துல 'பனி விழும் மலர்வனம்', 'நீதானே எந்தன் பொன்வசந்தம்', 'ரோஜாவைத் தாலாட்டும் தென்றல்' மாதிரி அல்ட்ரா ஸ்பெஷல் பாட்டெல்லாம் கண்ணை மூடிக்கிட்டு பாக்குற அளவுக்கு சாதனை பண்ணிட்டாங்க.

BTW, என்னுடைய கருத்துப்படி (பானு)ரேகா, அதாவது ஜீஜீயோட அக்கா / பச்சன் காதலி, பூனைக்குப்பிறந்த புலி :-)

app_engine
4th October 2012, 03:45 AM
கவுதமர் புண்ணியத்துல சில பல ப்ளாக்கர்கள் டாக்டரம்மாவை மறுபடி நினைக்கிறாங்க
(http://www.sampspeak.in/2012/10/neethane-en-pon-vasantham-goes-viral.html)

Even a regular cine fan, may not instantly recognize the name of , Dr Jaya Sridhar Rajan, and the fact that she was the heroine in a famous film.

app_engine
4th October 2012, 03:56 AM
dig

On Gemini, an old article in The Hindu :
http://www.hindu.com/mag/2005/04/03/stories/2005040300560500.htm

Appa would switch effortlessly between impeccable English, Sanskrit and the pungent vocabulary of Tamil filmdom. He dashed off syrupy English poems with a gusto that made me giggle with embarrassment; yet he had a refined sense of humour that, regretfully, was never exploited by his directors. He loved my mother and quite a few "others" and yet expected us all to love each other too!

End-dig

p.s. The above hindu article was by one Dr Jaya Sreedhar :wink:

kiru
4th October 2012, 12:34 PM
Kiru sir,
ஜெமினியை நமக்கு (அதாவது ஆம்பளைகளுக்குப்) புடிக்குதா இல்லையா என்பது முக்கியமே இல்ல...பெண்களுக்கு அவர் காதல் மன்னன் ஆயாச்சு, ஜெயிச்சாச்சு :-)

ha ha .. you are right :-) Looks like I will rather read GG's writing and watch her sister on screen (classic beauty) . I attribute it to the mother like I do for my own kids :-)
GG covers for her dad very well .. "bordering on the bohemian" .. nicely put lady !!

groucho070
4th October 2012, 03:29 PM

The :lol: part is " புலிக்கு பிறந்தது பூனையாகுமா?" ...nalla vELai Gemini G is not reading this blog. I used to have this lady friend who supposedly was sharing my love for 70s/80s IR songs. Her name is Vasantha, and goddamit, most of the songs that she really likes has "Vasantha" or "Vasantham" in it. WTF!!!! Anyway, I cut off the friendship for this and other reasons. Good riddance.

Sureshs65
4th October 2012, 11:04 PM
groucho,

LOL.

/dig

I have started the 90s Raja writeups. So please go there as well :)

/end dig

MelHarmony
5th October 2012, 06:37 AM
response / feedback about NEPV from one of my students !:

"Hello there! - This is a feedback to the new album NEETHANE EN PONVASANTHAM by LLAIYARAAJA -
when i got to the second song the music was so pleasant to my ears i turned up the volume of my computer! I am African, and even though i did not understand the words spoken in theses songs i fell in love with the good music, and the well done melodies!! And probably like many others who are not familiar with this composer, I initially thought this was an Indian band. To my big surprise, these amazing songs came from one man, who is hiding himself from the rest of the world while he should be blessing us with his outstanding talents!
Fatma, Houston, Tx"

Nice to see this!
any comments from the musician couple to whom asked for review some tie back?

senthilv.com
5th October 2012, 02:48 PM
I felt like something is missing in the final version of "Saindhu Saindhu" tune after I heard Raja's composing this song with harmonium. While Yuvan is a factor, today I went back and listened to Harmonium version again, and realized that lyrics could have been better.

The basic bhava in the original notes may not be fully expressed in the lyrics. In other words, the drama & story in the notes is missing in the lyrics.

So I took some liberty to experiment with the beginning lyrics. I cannot even write Tamil properly so me writing lyrics is a joke. The idea is to just explore some of the nuances in Raja's composition. Please bare with the quality of lyrics.

Parsing Pallavi
1. There's bit of surprise and disbelieve (of love) in the original tune.
2. Musical notes pose some sort of the questions.
3. Notes climax but doesn't completely resolve the original surprise, disbelieve and love.

I tried to follow this structure.
1. Establish the mood & situation.
2. Raise question, intensify question.
3. Give some reasonable conclusion to questions.

Here's a version, inspired by original lyrics.

Saindhu saindhu nee paarkumbothu.... aada ada...hey..hey.
Vazhaintha imaikal enn manathai vaattaa.... kannee...hey..hey.

Muzhumaiyai inaiyavaa?
Iruvarum Oruvaraa?
Innimel........
Ellam Sorgamaaa?

One more version.

Iravenin Mayakama?
Aasaiyai Anaikavaa?
Sonthame......
Vaa thaa Muthame.

What do you guys think?

Original tune. (0:00 to 0:30)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiKwoqlosYo

KV
5th October 2012, 04:51 PM
Senthil, I don't intend to burst the bubble but to be honest, your lyrics somehow doesn't seem to go with the flow of the tune. Your intent is interesting for sure, but lighta vaarthai muttudhu! My thamizh skill's pretty much zilch, but the edhugai mOnai doesn't 'fit' right, me thinks. Guys like Suresh65/P_R/Jai would probably assess it better.

KV
5th October 2012, 05:09 PM
Was listening to karumaathur kaattukkullE from Virumaandi.
"eiykka nenacha andha peikkaaman ellaiyayum, sEththE alandhu vandhu jeichchaanE virumaandiyum"
This line reminded me of all the speculation that went on for almost a year about the GVM+IR combo and how Raaja turned things around with this killer of an album!

Gregorysab
5th October 2012, 07:43 PM
That saindhu Saindhu recording video... i feel raaja sounds much better than yuvan (in comparison) :-D

irir123
5th October 2012, 10:03 PM
any idea as to :

1. how the telugu version is doing as an album ?

2. when is the release of the Hindi version of this album ?

SoftSword
5th October 2012, 10:14 PM
That saindhu Saindhu recording video... i feel raaja sounds much better than yuvan (in comparison) :-D

idhellaam oru panjaayatthaa???

senthilv.com
5th October 2012, 11:19 PM
Senthil, I don't intend to burst the bubble but to be honest, your lyrics somehow doesn't seem to go with the flow of the tune. Your intent is interesting for sure, but lighta vaarthai muttudhu! My thamizh skill's pretty much zilch, but the edhugai mOnai doesn't 'fit' right, me thinks. Guys like Suresh65/P_R/Jai would probably assess it better.

LOL. oh yes. I have no idea how to write lyrics.

I couldn't figure out a way to convey my point about lyrics through other means so resorted to this "brave" attempt :) (Will stay away from such attempts in the future)
Was hoping someone who knows how to write can throw some light.

One last attempt to convey my point. Oliyile therivathu thevathaiyaa from Azhagi has a similar storytelling structure in the song, which I feel comes out better in the lyrics compared to Saindhu Saindhu.

San_K
5th October 2012, 11:26 PM
any idea as to :

I think it is doing good http://www.flipkart.com/mp3-downloads/l12/bestsellers-digitalmusic

Gregorysab
7th October 2012, 09:21 AM
any idea as to :

2. when is the release of the Hindi version of this album ?

Telugu version album is a hit. Kaatre konjum in Telugu seems to be a favourite with radio channels.

I doubt there will be a Hindi version.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
7th October 2012, 11:00 AM
any idea as to :

Twitter remarks show the album is liked by quite many!

https://twitter.com/i/#!/search/?q=%23yvm&src=typd

one tweeter telling that the movie releasing on Nov 9th! So its in Deepaavali Race!

MumbaiRamki
7th October 2012, 08:52 PM
என்னோட வா வாவென்று சொல்ல மாட்டேன்
உன்னை விட்டு வேறெங்கும் செல்ல மாட்டேன் .

Initially i made fun of this lyrics stating it is quite pedestrian - but rethinking , when i sang this song to my kid , a sudden a philosophy occupied my mind . What Zen lines are these ??? Fantastic ones ...

app_engine
7th October 2012, 09:38 PM
Fantastic ones ...
கன்னத்தில் அடிக்கும் அடி முத்தத்தாலே வேணுமடி
மற்றதெல்லாம் உன்னுடைய இதழ்களின் இஷ்டப்படி :lol2: :musicsmile:

musiukunit
16th October 2012, 11:50 AM
Even after 1000 times of hearing there are new bits and pieces in this album cropping up
Kattraai Konjam is just ultimate
This is Raja genre..You cant even define a genre to it..
It has all elements in it...

Pengal endral is too good ..This needs a repeated hearing.

The man of the album is drummer..he hits you in the head
The first drum sound in mudhal murai is so precise..i just can get over it

brigs
16th October 2012, 04:00 PM
Even after 1000 times of hearing there are new bits and pieces in this album cropping up
Kattraai Konjam is just ultimate
This is Raja genre..You cant even define a genre to it..
It has all elements in it...

Pengal endral is too good ..This needs a repeated hearing.

The man of the album is drummer..he hits you in the head
The first drum sound in mudhal murai is so precise..i just can get over it

Yes, Kattrai Konjam is my fav from the album. Only IR can come up with such a gem. Marvelous.

Fliflo
16th October 2012, 07:23 PM
NEP in LP format

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/87061.html

As the world continues to enjoy the tracks produced by Maestro Illayaraja in Neethaane En Ponvasantham, producers and director Gautham Menon are trying hard to release the soundtrack in LP format which would give out the notes in Raja sir's composition even better.

NEP's songs have become a roaring hit among the public and listeners across the globe have been praising Illayaraja for coming up with wonderful music yet again. The team's attempt to get it out in LP sound format could only mean good news for fans who are anticipating the movie eagerly. Neethaane En Ponvasantham has Jiiva, Samantha and Santhanam in the lead and is produced by R.S. Infotainment.

kiru
17th October 2012, 11:00 PM
Yes, Kattrai Konjam is my fav from the album. Only IR can come up with such a gem. Marvelous.

I think it is done with Jazz techniques. I think in the pallavi every flute/oboe fill is slightly different. The first interlude is awesome. Dont know why the second is so short and different.

senthilv.com
18th October 2012, 03:51 PM
My first video blog on Saindhu Saindhu song. Comments and feedbacks are welcome. I will be posting about more songs from NEPV and also other songs by Raja.

After doing video blog I think written version is easier!

Videoblog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhx2hQbCQME

Long Written version.
http://magnifythesmall.tumblr.com/
http://magnifythesmall.wordpress.com/

Sureshs65
18th October 2012, 04:31 PM
Nice effort Senthil. I have put up the link in twitter.

venkkiram
18th October 2012, 04:44 PM
My first video blog on Saindhu Saindhu song. Comments and feedbacks are welcome. I will be posting about more songs from NEPV and also other songs by Raja.

After doing video blog I think written version is easier!

Videoblog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhx2hQbCQME

Long Written version.
http://magnifythesmall.tumblr.com/
http://magnifythesmall.wordpress.com/

Watched the video. Very good attempt Sir. Keep it up!

venkkiram
18th October 2012, 07:05 PM
Watched the video. Very good attempt Sir. Keep it up!

Senthil.. one suggestion. when you describe about a song for 10 mins long, its better you play the audio content then and there.. may be in 2/3 intervals for playing prelude/interlude1/interlude2. That way, viewers can stay till the end with much attention.

senthilv.com
19th October 2012, 08:25 AM
oh Great! Thanks Suresh.

Venkkiram:

Thanks for the feedback. I totally agree. I have been scratching my head to make it more friendly and accessible for all ppl.

Youtube sometime takes down video that have content with copyright violation. I'm a partner (Content creator) with Youtube so it complicates things to upload copyrighted material.

It is hard to convince them it is for educational purpose and may have to fight with all Digital Millennium copyright (DMCA) etc... in case Sony music South decides to flag my video!

Will see if there is a work around to this and figure out a way to make this accessible.

senthilv.com
24th October 2012, 02:31 PM
Hi All:

After some feedback across the board, I'm now ready with part2 of Saindhu Saindhu. I almost "conducted" the piece!! It was so much fun doing some homework on Raja's song. After this experience, I'm thinking, I have to learn to play at least one Raja's song.

Let me know your feedback. I can take comments even if it is not flattering :) I will tweak until I get the "right" format to discuss his song through video blog.

Senthil
http://magnifythesmall.wordpress.com/2012/10/18/saindhu-saindhu-analysis/

PS: Venkkiram, Hope this helps in putting the comments in context. Lemme know what you think.

http://youtu.be/EbrdW1tUalU

csramasami
24th October 2012, 03:13 PM
That is marvellous senthilv ! Thoroughly enjoyed your analysis. Keep it up!

rajkumarc
25th October 2012, 10:55 AM
Fantastic analysis and very nicely done video Senthil. Please post about the other NEPV songs as well if you can. Thanks.

venkkiram
25th October 2012, 09:17 PM
செந்தில்.

சிறந்த முயற்சி! இசையைப் பற்றி எதுமே தெரியாது என்று அறிவித்துவிட்டு குச்சியை கையில் வைத்து, நடத்துனர் போலவே இசையோடு அசைந்தது அழகு. ஒரு இடத்தில் இந்தப் பாடலுக்கு இப்படியெல்லாம் நடனம் கூட ஆடலாம் போலிருக்கு என ஆச்சர்யப்பட்டேன் :)

நீங்கள் முயற்சித்திருக்கும் (பாடலை முழுதும் இசைக்கவிட்டு, கருவிகளையும் எண்ணங்களையும் திரையில் எழுதிக் காண்பிக்கும்) யுத்தி புதுமையா இருக்கு. இசை, இசைக்கருவிகள் பற்றி ஞானம் இல்லாதர்வர்களுக்கு (என்னைப் போல) புரியும் வண்ணம் அமைத்திருக்கு. ராகம், தாளம் என்ற இலக்கணங்களோடு அணுகும் முறைக்கு அப்பால், ராஜாவின் இசையை இப்படியும் ரசிகர்களுக்கு கொண்டு செல்லணும்.

நிறைய எதிர்பார்க்கிறேன் உங்களிடமிருந்து.

வாழ்த்துக்கள்! நிறைய ரசிகர்கள் கண்டு மகிழட்டும்.

San_K
25th October 2012, 11:44 PM
Super Senthil V :)

kiru
26th October 2012, 12:41 AM
Awesome Senthil.. please do more. The conducting provides visual cues. I follow the singers hands in indian music.

senthilv.com
26th October 2012, 04:18 AM
Thanks Kiru, San_K, Venkkiram, Rajkumar. Encouragement helps.

I used to do this "conducting" in bits and pieces in late 1990's with friends in the name of "night study" (But actually listening to Raja songs) They used to make fun of me :) Didn't know it could be useful one day. You guys feedback on the previous video (Part1) helped me to try this out.

Next video might be Kaatrai Konjam.

Venkkiram,

IMO, it is better to approach Raja's songs without technical ideas, Raga, Thala, storytelling etc... If you directly perceive or feel the song, you will get more than from parsing it. Once you have felt it, then you could break it down. Because I believe, Raja himself "feels" the song/mood first and once he realizes the music, he sees the patterns in his own creation, he explores more and makes it consistent.

PS: Your Tamil writing is lovely to read.

kiru
26th October 2012, 09:45 AM
IMO, it is better to approach Raja's songs without technical ideas, Raga, Thala, storytelling etc...

Well, I would put it as - raagam/thaalam is just one(two) aspects of the song.. the raagam for the mood, the thaalam accentuating it. But more than that there is actually story-telling happening in the instrumental parts as well (not just the lyrics) as you have demonstrated (and V_S earlier for SriRamaJayam). A listener has to listen to all the sounds in IR's song. Otherwise, he/she is not getting their money's worth. When others might add instrumental just to accentuate the feel or just 'decorate' it. IR gets the story and writes the score. This is the only way he can do things fast and with variety, otherwise he will be forced to do things by 'trial and error'. (Music by Design vs Music By Ear).
This is one of the reasons that I think IR's songs do not lend itself well for 'improvisation' all the notes are interrelated. No way, just by improvising the vocal parts you can keep the song 'intact'. Yesterday, Hariharan totally killed one of the few TV viewing pleasures, I indulge in - watching Super Singer Junior. I just dont like that guy :-(

senthilv.com
26th October 2012, 10:49 AM
This is one of the reasons that I think IR's songs do not lend itself well for 'improvisation' all the notes are interrelated. No way, just by improvising the vocal parts you can keep the song 'intact'.

Well put. Raja's compositions are like walking on knife. If you try to mess with it, you will look very silly! Even though he has moved lot closer to WCM with his recent scores, the best way to listen to his score is still to follow the melody lines and let the orchestral elements work their way into you. And the melody lines are so intertwined with orchestral backing and ornamentation, that if you improve the melody or try a different sangathi the orchestral elements can go haywire. So, if you improvise a part you have to improvise the whole score!! If you don't, ppl run into the problem you just mentioned.

layman10
26th October 2012, 04:09 PM
Well put. Raja's compositions are like walking on knife. If you try to mess with it, you will look very silly! Even though he has moved lot closer to WCM with his recent scores, the best way to listen to his score is still to follow the melody lines and let the orchestral elements work their way into you. And the melody lines are so intertwined with orchestral backing and ornamentation, that if you improve the melody or try a different sangathi the orchestral elements can go haywire. So, if you improvise a part you have to improvise the whole score!! If you don't, ppl run into the problem you just mentioned.

Recently, some thengai mudi band was improvising some raja songs on Super singer, could not stand it.

K
27th October 2012, 01:34 PM
NEPV From 14Feb 2013

http://tamil.oneindia.in/movies/news/2012/10/neethane-en-ponvasantham-be-release-163742.html

sivasub
27th October 2012, 04:28 PM
NEPV From 14Feb 2013

http://tamil.oneindia.in/movies/news/2012/10/neethane-en-ponvasantham-be-release-163742.html

This site has something else to say

http://greatandhra.com/viewnews.php?id=41566&cat=1&scat=4

senthilv.com
29th October 2012, 06:22 PM

Here's my interpretation of Mudhal Murai song from NEPV. This is my fav of the album. Going by feedback I have kept the videblog shorter. Let me know what you think.

http://youtu.be/eShK9Iw5AR0

Blog:
http://magnifythesmall.wordpress.com/2012/10/29/neethane-enn-ponvasantham-mudhal-murai-analysis/

Thanks,
Senthil

kiru
31st October 2012, 12:07 AM
Very good, Senthil. you have started acting (vs conducting) :-)
BTW, regarding instrument usage - the wailing (crying) electric guitar does add the touch of disappointment, pathos..

San_K
31st October 2012, 12:20 AM
It is confirmed, NEPV release date is Dec 14, 2012

GVM himself has started count down for movie release (44 days to go) in facebook as like he did for audio release count downs :)

senthilv.com
31st October 2012, 12:51 AM
Very good, Senthil. you have started acting (vs conducting) :-)
BTW, regarding instrument usage - the wailing (crying) electric guitar does add the touch of disappointment, pathos..

Wow. Good. Wailing makes sense to me. It kinda connects with the idea of "uyirinil thanthu pogiraai" & "vizhiyinil eno oru eeram". Now I'm happy!

I've gotten some comments from friends/laymusic lovers that I'm bit wooden in the first blog. My wish is to reach them too and share raja love, as dedicated and music knowledgeable fans are on to it in a flash. So trying to spice up a bit! Also bit of a discovery process for myself and still trying to find a balance. Will try to play it by the song ;)

kingvj
4th November 2012, 02:56 AM
..but why would IR re-use the 'veedhi paththadhey' tune in 'Gundallo Godhari' song 'Aa Eedhi Kurrodu'?

Fliflo
5th November 2012, 08:32 PM
http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news-1/nov-12-01/neethane-en-ponvasantham-gautham-menon-04-11-12.html

Additionally, the site says movie release on Dec 14th

Rangarajan nambi
29th November 2012, 03:33 PM
http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news-1/nov-12-01/neethane-en-ponvasantham-gautham-menon-04-11-12.html

Additionally, the site says movie release on Dec 14th Is it really getting releasedon 14th ?

vssathish
30th November 2012, 04:55 PM
Jeyamohan met IR last week and thalaivar is busy in NEPV Re-recording.. seems 50 member violin orchestra is working on the same
chk out this links for details
http://www.jeyamohan.in/?p=32153

Why is GVM very silent about re-recording.. no videos so far..

sloshed
2nd December 2012, 11:28 AM
Folks...
Here after a long time. My small tribute to the man who defined my musical tastes. I know I wont get to work him, but I wanted to use his music for my first short film. I hope you guys like it and share it.
Thanks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6Fau1YTtxs

Rangarajan nambi
7th December 2012, 12:15 PM
Keen to see how the BGM comes out

sivasub
8th December 2012, 08:24 PM
Keen to see how the BGM comes out

Looks like the keenness is going to be answered soon

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/gautham-vasudev-menons-much-awaited-neethane-en-ponvasantham-gets-a-successful-u/309442-71-180.html

senthilv.com
14th December 2012, 02:01 AM
My video analysis of the song "Sattru Munbu" from NEPV. As usual Raja walks on the knife like a skilled rope(knife) walker and juggles different emotions like an expert juggler. And just to top it off, throws in some magic like an expert magician.

First time I did in one take and without any edits. More of conduc-acting than conducting and there are some mistakes but I let it pass because the emotional quotient was much truer & honest.

Feedbacks much appreciated.

http://youtu.be/ntYbRUNWtQQ

rooky
19th December 2012, 03:25 PM
I watched the movie with my wife in bangalore today. Definitely a Good movie and for those who love "LOVE" would like the movie for sure.

My wife had watched VTV and as per her comparision, the slowness felt in VTV was not felt here because of intelligent use of music throughout the movie. If you are a IR fan, don't miss this movie.

I think GVM has used the songs to more than one hour of footage and i liked this Raja FAN in him and a treat to all IR fans

There is an extended interlude section for "vanam mella", Few lines from "pengal enraal" (pathos version) sung by raja, Original neethane pon vasantham sung by GVM with guitar notes, extended instrumental only of "Satru munbu" in the movie

K
21st December 2012, 10:04 AM
https://soundcloud.com/shanmuganagar/localanapaiya-nepv

writeface
21st December 2012, 09:33 PM
https://soundcloud.com/shanmuganagar/localanapaiya-nepv

Great,thanks. Can anyone upload the fantastic 'post'lude to vaanam mella.. ? I wish I had recorded it!

K
22nd December 2012, 08:32 AM
https://soundcloud.com/shanmuganagar/vanam-mella-interlude3

venkkiram
22nd December 2012, 09:34 AM
My video analysis of the song "Sattru Munbu" from NEPV. As usual Raja walks on the knife like a skilled rope(knife) walker and juggles different emotions like an expert juggler. And just to top it off, throws in some magic like an expert magician.

First time I did in one take and without any edits. More of conduc-acting than conducting and there are some mistakes but I let it pass because the emotional quotient was much truer & honest.

Feedbacks much appreciated.

http://youtu.be/ntYbRUNWtQQ

வழக்கம் போல நல்லா வந்திருக்கு செந்தில். இந்த முறை கோட் சூட்டையும், கையில் இசைக்குச்சியையும் காணோம் :) தொடருங்கள் உங்கள் பணியை.. நீங்கள் இதுபோல ராஜாவின் இசையில் வந்த பழைய பொக்கிஷங்களையும் அலசணும்.. நான் முன்னதே குறிப்பிட்டது போல, நீங்கள் செய்திருக்கும் முயற்சி நம் தமிழிசைக்கு புத்தம் புதிய ஒன்று.. தொடருங்கள்.

stULana
22nd December 2012, 11:53 AM

Full of IR trademarks..means sooper composing;-) From 00:07, only IR possible. From 00:16 to 00:24, heavenly. From 00:25, it is like taking you to the depth of hearts/emotions. From 00:32, slowing down :bow: What a flow, and transitions!
And sounds so "Indian". Idhu podhumae :musicsmile:

writeface
23rd December 2012, 04:12 AM

Excellent, thank you so much! Now how about IR's rendition of "itharkku thaana" from pengaL endraal? :)

rajkumarc
23rd December 2012, 01:33 PM
Senthil - Absolutely wonderful analysis of Satru Munbu. Looks like you have analyzed before watching the movie but the way you have interpreted & presented the details cannot be a more perfect match to how this song unfolds on screen. It's a brilliant composition from IR and used beautifully by GVM in the screen and serves as a fitting climax to the movie.

K
23rd December 2012, 09:41 PM
Excellent, thank you so much! Now how about IR's rendition of "itharkku thaana" from pengaL endraal? :)

Check PM Sir.

senthilv.com
29th December 2012, 12:20 PM
Senthil - Absolutely wonderful analysis of Satru Munbu. Looks like you have analyzed before watching the movie but the way you have interpreted & presented the details cannot be a more perfect match to how this song unfolds on screen. It's a brilliant composition from IR and used beautifully by GVM in the screen and serves as a fitting climax to the movie.

Thanks Rajkumar. Great to know it checked out with the movie. I still haven't had a chance to see the movie. I probably will do the two more songs before I see the movie.

kr
4th January 2013, 11:36 PM
I saw the movie and actually enjoyed the movie. Talking about Satru Munbu - it was the right composition for the situation and brought out the expressions really well.

P_R
7th January 2013, 11:31 AM
My first look at Saaindhu Saaindhu. Still not sinked in completely:smile:. (Also this is based on mp3 version, not sure how it will vary with CD version).

The musical themes and instrumental bits of this film is already etched in my mind even before the audio launch, thanks to GVM and the media. Saaindhu Saaindhu teaser put-off most just for Yuvan's singing. I don't blame them. The starting vocals of Yuvan is underwhelming, but the bad part is how GVM chose this clip to promote, that too as the first teaser. As a stand-alone 30 second clip, it does look awkward even with Maestro's magic guitar. Especially "adadaa yeah hey", he goes very flat with not much life in it that too for the first and second time. Gradually he gets into the groove. To me, it didn't take the interest out of me in Yuvan's singing as I feared, as he was totally onto the basics later on. Surprisingly, when he sings, "adadaa viral ellaam pEsa" he comes back to the mood. If we listen to the full song, the awkward start disappears from our mind, just because Maestro diverts us to a different world altogether with his outstanding (is there a better word?) orchestration and Ramya NSK's vocals. Yuvan gets into the mood of the song quite well from charanam. Good that Maestro did not (and will never) use auto-tune to correct his pitches and left as it is so that it is natural to even say some mediocre singer is singing his heart of love and his lover saying, 'definitely I love you, but for god's sake please stop singing and relieve me' with a sarcastic laugh.:lol:

The starting rhythm guitar with electric guitar provides a wonderful counterpoint with a different melody compared to the main melody. This starting piece of guitar arrangements gives the rock ballad feel. Acoustic drums with hi-hat gives the perfect cushion effect to our ears. Just when we were wondering where the bass guitar is, Maestro kicks in the bass when Yuvan sings anu-pallavi, VizhyOdu vizhi pEsa, viralOdu viral pEsa. I love the electric guitar sneaking in with different identity during the anu-pallavi. The culminating anu-pallavi piece is just mind boggling, adadaaa vEru enna pEsa (the telugu version does not get its expected elongation as in Thamizh. The chords are shortened makes it little dampening). The chords beautifully transcends and lands to the ground with that outstanding anu-pallavi melody confirming the jazziness in the song. Outstanding touch! Maestro ends the repeat pallavi with additional 'hey hey hey' beautifully, the main reason would be to give the guitar, drums its extended time of play and a also a nice way to stop it convincingly rather than abruptly to start the interludes. Wonderful thought as ever! :notworthy:

Lovely post :clap:

Reached it through Suresh's blogsposts about the NEPV songs.

P_R
7th January 2013, 01:34 PM
Someone here mention about the drumming throughout the album. It is top notch and so much clarity in the drumming. If Raja himself is impressed, that fellow has to be on 'appa tucker' only no? (The thread is growing so fast that when I want to quote someone it takes quite a while to search. So whoever spoke about drumming, please stand up :D )
There was a post about it. Who wrote it, whether it was a post here or link to a blog... I don't know.
Searching searching...

P_R
7th January 2013, 02:21 PM
Singer of the song on repeat in my car, 'mudhal muRai pArththa gnAbakam', Sunithi Chauhan, at times remind me of Saroj Narayanswamy :-)

:rotfl: :x

P_R
7th January 2013, 02:26 PM
BTW
யோவ் என்னையா நடக்குது இங்க , சுனிதி மேடத்த சரோஜ் நாராயண சுவாமி, கே பி சுந்தரம்பாள் அப்டி இப்டினுட்டு.

நிகழ்ச்சியில் நேரடியா பார்த்து அசந்துட்டேன்
:exactly: :hammer:
ஐயம் சின்ன வயசுலயே டிவி-ல பார்த்து கர்ச்சீஃப் போட்டு வச்சிருந்தேன்.
அப்புறம் படிப்பு, வேலை-ன்னு வேறு வேறு பாதைகளில் பயணித்து விட்டோம்.

P_R
7th January 2013, 02:30 PM
#youRemember when they said Yuvan has sung a pathos song our hearts went damaaal.

Who would have thought ? Who would hav thought!

:exactly:
இப்பொ எந்த மூஞ்சியை வச்சுகிட்டு equanimuஸை எல்லாம் சமாளிக்கிறது?

P_R
7th January 2013, 02:32 PM
Mikka nandri Suresh ji for your post on Kaatrai Konjam. Adhula varakkoodiya chords pathi konjam sollungalen. Adhavadhu saavu kuthu melatha ketta eppadi oru manusana irukkakkoodiyavan thannaala ezhundhu aadrano (illa control apnnikkaraano), indha paatta kekkumbodhu oru instrument-um vaasikka theriyaadha naan, at a tayathula ella instrument-um vaasikkara oru feel.

:rotfl3:

P_R
14th January 2013, 10:10 AM
via our arvindmano

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsDJuZqrDZY&feature=share

P_R
14th February 2013, 10:10 PM
Sunidhi Chauhan - absolutely brilliant.
She has elevated an excellent song to something simply out of the world.

K
15th February 2013, 05:06 PM
http://tamil.oneindia.in/movies/news/2013/02/kamal-haasan-sings-ilayaraja-169849.html

இளையராஜாவுக்காக ஓடோடி வந்து பாட்டு பாடிய கமல்

P_R
13th May 2013, 10:39 AM
A twitlonger written a few days back about NEPV - http://twitlonger.com/show/n_1rk21p5

நான் நட்டநடு mainstreamல மட்டும் தான் குளிப்பேன்னு படுத்திகிட்டு இருந்தவன் தான். நீங்க எல்லாம் அஜந்தா, வால்மீகி, உளியின் ஓசை, மத்திய சென்னை, பொன்னர் சங்கர் எல்லாம் விழுந்தடிச்சு கேட்டு சிலபலர் சிலாகிக்கும்போது தலையை சொரிஞ்சிக்குவேன். Thiraipaadal.com 90கள் அளவுக்கு எதுவுமே நமக்குப் புடிக்காது போலன்னு முடிவு பண்ற கட்டத்துல இருந்தேன்.

ரெண்டொரு தடவை மேற்சொன்ன படப்பாட்டுகளை கேட்டிருக்கேன். கேட்டுட்டு வாரணம் ஆயிரம் கேக்கப் போயிருவேன். Yeah judge me.

தோனி வந்தப்பா நிகழ்ச்சி, பிரகாஷ்ராஜ் வழிசல் எல்லாம் நடந்துச்சு. வந்த உடனே கேட்டேன். ஓரளவு பரால்லாம இருக்கு, இத்தப் போய் ஆஹா ஊஹூ 'ன்றாங்களே-ன்னு நினைச்சேன். ரொம்ப ஆழமா ரசிக்கிறவங்களுக்குத் தான் புடிக்கும் போல'ன்னு விட்டுட்டேன்.

NEPV வந்தப்பா சத்தம் படுபயங்கரமா இருந்துச்சு. ரொம்ப நாள் கேக்காமயே இருந்தேன். ஹொஸான்னாக்கள் ஓயட்டும். பைய்ய கேட்டுக்குவோம்'னு. ஓஞ்சபாடில்லை. சரி'ன்னு கேட்டேன். தோனியை விட கொஞ்சம் நல்லா இருந்துச்சு அவ்வளவு தான். இதுக்கு ஏன் இப்படி சொல்றாங்க. இது ஹிட்டாகியே தீரணும்'னு நினைக்குறாங்க போல'ன்னு நினைச்சேன்.

அப்புறமும் பார்த்தா, வலைல எங்கும் NEPV எதிலும் NEPV. வழக்கத்தை விட சத்தம் பிரம்மாண்டமா இருக்கே'ன்னு ஒரு சில தடவை கேட்டேன். அப்பொல்லாம் எப்படி கேக்குறதுன்னா: skip Yuvan and சற்றுமுன்பு. Repeat at புடிக்கல மாமு.

I'd love to say there was some dramatic milestone event that got me hooked. But it is the cliched 'gradual'.

Without exaggeration it is a phenomenal album - a towering achievement in recent times.

அருள்செல்வன் (http://twitter.com/arulselvan) இதை முன்சைச்சு (தான்'னு நினைக்கிறேன்) ஒரு கந்தர் அனுபூதி வரியை சொல்லி இருந்தார்

அவ்வாறு அறிவார் அறிகின்றது அலால்
எவ்வாறு ஒருவர்க்கு இசைவிப்பதுவே

--------------------

அப்பொ எனக்கு அது ரொம்ப மிகையா தோணிச்சு. ஒவ்வொரு பாட்டையும் சிலாகிச்சு எழுதப்பட்ட இடுகைகள் எல்லாம் மிகையா தோணிச்சு.

அப்புறம் அதையெல்லாம் தேடித்துழாவிப் படிச்சேன். அந்த அனுபவத்தை உவகையோட வெளிப்படுத்தியிருக்காங்க. கிட்டத்தட்ட புதுசா, சுரேஷ் (https://twitter.com/Raaga_Suresh) மாதிரி உள்ளவங்க எழுதாத எதையுமே நான் அனுபவிக்கலை. ஆனா அதெல்லாம் ex-post தான் துலங்கிச்சு.

யுவன் எல்லாம் எனக்கு பல வருஷ பகை. யுவன் பாட்டையெல்லாம் ரசிக்க வைச்சது எல்லாம் 'எங்க நீ கூட்டிப்போற' moment. என் ரசனைவாழ்வில் ஒரு milestone event :D

ஆல்பம் அலைக்கழிச்சிருச்சு'ன்னே சொல்லலாம். Next only to திருவாசகம், in terms of number of listens.

வெளிய வரணும்ங்கிறதுக்காகவேண்டியே கேட்டது தோனி. நிச்சயம் சுமாரா இருக்க வேண்டியது law of averagesன் கட்டாயம்னு. கடைசில பார்த்தா, இந்த வருஷத்துல வந்து சிக்கிருச்சே'ன்னு பரிதாபப்பட வைக்கிற அளவுக்கு பிரமாதமா இருந்துச்சு. 'வாங்கும் பணத்துக்கும்' பாட்டையெல்லாம் 'சுமார்'னு நினைச்சதை நானே சிரிச்சுக்குவேன். :oops:

நிற்க...இவ்வளவு எதுக்கு நீட்டி முழக்குறேன்னா... இந்தப்பக்கம் வந்தா, 'வெளியிலேர்ந்து' பார்க்குறவங்களோட (கேக்குறவங்க?) 'அதிசய'ப் பார்வையை உணரமுடியுது.

கவனமான ரசிகர்கள்னு சொல்ல முடியாத அனேகர், என் கார்ல உள்ள perma-soundtrackகை என்னளவு ரசிக்கலைன்னு நல்லா தெரிஞ்சுது. அவங்க ரசனைல இடி விழ'ன்னு எல்லாம் நான் சொல்லமாட்டேன் - மனசுல நினைச்சுக்கறதோட சரி.

ஒரு நெடும்பயணத்துல, செங்கல்பட்டு வரைக்கும் தாக்குபுடிச்சிட்டு, 'இத மாத்தப்போறியா என்னங்க்ற நீயி'ன்னு வீட்டு கிட்டதூர பெரியவங்க வற்புறுத்த, 80-90 கமல்-ராஜ ஹிட்ஸ் போட்டு - 'இந்த மாதிரி நல்லா பாட்டுல்லாம் இப்பொ போடுறதில்லை'யையும் கேட்டுகிட்டேன்.

பொதுவா, ஆஃபீலயும் ஒரு சில யூஷுவல் சஸ்பெக்ட்ஸ் தான் கேட்டிருக்காங்க. அவங்களும் நல்லா (என்னளவு (கூட)) ரசிச்சதாத் தோணலை.

என்னளவுல இந்த ஆல்பம் பிரம்மாண்டத்துக்கு ரசிச்சு சிலாகிக்கப்பட்டிருக்கணும். இதெல்லாம் போதவே போதாது.

NEPV படம்/ஆல்பம் வர்றதுக்கு முன்னாடி என்னோட மனநிலை எனக்குத் தெரியும். 'எனக்கும் கீழே உள்ளவர் கோடி'. அவங்களுக்கு இளையராஜா கடைசியா பண்ண படம் பிதாமகன், அதுல ஒரேயொரு பாட்டு 'இளங்காத்து வீசுதே'. அப்படியாபட்டவங்க கௌதம் தேர்வு செஞ்சது ஏதோ 'மீட்டெடுப்பு'ன்னு நினைக்கிறது புரிஞ்சுக்கக் கூடியது தான்'னு நினைக்கிறேன்.

அந்த narrativeஐ challenge பண்ணுறதும் முக்கியம். இல்லைங்கல.

ஆனா பொது அறிவின் நிலை அதான். அதுக்கெல்லாம் இன்சல்ட்'னு ரொம்ப பொங்க வேண்டாம்.

என்பெலாம் உருக நோக்கி அம்பலத்து ஆடுகின்ற
என் பொலா மணியை ஏத்தி இனிது அருள் பருக மாட்டா

'ன்னு விட்ருங்க.

பி.கு: அஜந்தா வகையறால்லாம் இன்னும் பிடிக்கலை தான். பிடிக்குது பிடிக்கலை'ன்றது வேற. ஆனா நீஎபொவ -வேற தளத்துல இருக்கு. அதை போதுமான அளவு அங்கீகரிக்காம பேசுனா - எவ்வளவு தீவிரமான, நுட்பமான ராஜாரசிகரா இருந்தாலும் - நான் கொஞ்சம் சந்தேகத்தோடயே பார்ப்பேன் - என்பதை தாழ்மையுடன் தெரிவித்துக்கொள்கிறேன் :-)

Brianengab
13th May 2013, 02:48 PM
:clap:

வெளிய வரணும்ங்கிறதுக்காகவேண்டியே கேட்டது தோனி. நிச்சயம் சுமாரா இருக்க வேண்டியது law of averagesன் கட்டாயம்னு. கடைசில பார்த்தா, இந்த வருஷத்துல வந்து சிக்கிருச்சே'ன்னு பரிதாபப்பட வைக்கிற அளவுக்கு பிரமாதமா இருந்துச்சு. '

exactly..The reason for IR songs becoming infamous/unknown to the people is IR is working wit non-famous directors/crews...
GVM kooda work pannumpothu, Raaja unique'aa theriyuraaru..even, mayilu songs r also gud to listen..'Ena kutham senjathadi' is chanceless kinda song..songs r gud bt situation of the song in non-famous movie is making sad to IR FANS...Even most of the TFM lovers doesnt knw the MD of the Mayilu movie...

i would say Dhoni/Mayilu shoud get rewards/mariyaathai as NEP got..

JamesDap
1st July 2013, 06:46 AM
I am sorry to bump an old thread but I saw this wonderful discussion yesterday when I was browsing (and listening to these songs :) ). I just want to mention two things based on some comments made here.

1) Somebody said opera is generally sung in chorus. I am def not an out and out opera buff (as I find it far too overwrought for my sensibilities) but based on what I have heard, I am not very sure about that statement. It is possible there is some confusion here between opera and the use of vocals within symphonies (e.g. the splendid choral second half of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony). Maybe opera is loosely used to mean both things at the same time but it is different. Opera is like a drama and the singers act out roles; except that they sing their 'dialogues' instead of speaking them. So the focus, vocally, is on the individual singers acting out their parts (though there may be chorus on some passages; it is a decision made by the composer and not hard and fast). The choir used in Sattru Munbu does strongly resemble Western choir, no doubts about that. As for Ramya's singing, it is not opera and might be loosely classified into the general pop basket (and her accent is apparently influenced by Anupama). But it is hard to classify (same goes for the song) - such 'clean' and melodic female vocals are rarely juxtaposed with such enormous tension in Western music (usually, with due respect to exceptions (Kate Bush?), Westerners prefer more harsh, rock based vocals with tense music). It is probably one of his most Westernised tracks. And I don't mean that only in terms of the orchestration, choir, chords. The very soul of Western music can be found living and breathing within this song, even though I don't think there are either dissonant or 'blue' notes in any of the vocal passages. Please feel free to correct me there, though. I would be really interested to know what are his Western influences outside of classical music. I have heard that he admires Jimi Hendrix but there must be other influences....sadly, these questions are rarely, if ever, posed in interviews.

2) About Sunidhi Chauhan...no, she doesn't sing exclusively loud kind of songs though that is the popular perception even up here. She sang quite beautifully on the duet Bin Tere from I hate luv stories. Also on Aa zara from Murder 2. But...Mudhal Murai might be the most emotionally intense song she's rendered. No composer seems to have thought of bringing these emotions out of her before. Ilayaraja has achieved here what he got out of Shreya Ghoshal on Julie Ganapathy.

irir123
13th July 2013, 12:24 AM
some happy news for all IR fans :

NEE THANE EN PON VASANTHAM is being reviewed by a renowned jazz music critic and will be published soon!

baroque
13th July 2013, 11:48 PM
Very good, irir123! :)
vinatha

irir123
23rd October 2013, 09:14 PM
All about JAZZ.com glorifyingly reviews Maestro. Ilaiyaraaja's
NEETHANE EN PONVASANTHAM !

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=45539#.Umb1p1MuegR

Ilaiyaraaja's output is considered and compared with those of Pat Metheny's work with pianist Lyle Mays, the classic Gil Evans, Oliver Nelson instrumentation, and the tempo of Tom Petty !!