PDA

View Full Version : Any JK Rowling / Harry Potter fans there?

scorpio
31st January 2005, 05:58 PM
Hi,

I see JKR being mentioned occasionally in the 'Favourite books' topic. Can we discuss more about Rowling's classic series and Harry Potter characters?

Now that, the first 3 books have been made into movies and fourth one is releasing this November, we can discuss about the movies as well.

I know Blahblah is a fan of Rowling. Anybody else? Share yr favourite quotes, scenes, your predictions on how the series will end ( will Harry survive!!) , who will marry who et al.

NOV
31st January 2005, 07:12 PM
Count me in! :)
I love Harry Potter and have read all the books a few times each. Have queued up to watch the movies too. The first one was incredible. Was fun seeing visuals of what we had imagined from the book.

The second time around, we knew what to expect, so it was less thrilling. Many were saying the third was better - I dont know about that.

Now waiting fro Half Blood Prince and the 4th movie. Cant imagine how the very thick book is going to be condensed into a 2.5 hour movie!

scorpio
1st February 2005, 10:41 AM
Hi NOV,

Thx for joining in. By the way, yr avtaar reminds me of 'Mirror of Erised'. What does it mean actually?

As you said, the first 2 movies were very faithful adaptations of the books but you must watch the 3 rd one which was very different and visually rich. ( The Official DVD is also out).

JKR's publishers have announced that the 6th book is 672 pages long and will have 30-31 chapters. That wil make a good, long read.

I have read each of the book atleast 5 times and every time I find something new in them. 8)

How do you think JK will end the series? Will Harry survive? Who is yr favourite character and why??

blahblah
1st February 2005, 12:10 PM
There was another Harry Potter thread in the literature column? If this too is moved thee will be two of them then.

Anyway,the next book is supposed to be released in July[17th?].I have read all the other books repeatedly and this won't be an exception. :wink: .I am damn addicted to the thing.

scorpio
1st February 2005, 12:20 PM
Hi BlahBlah (what a name!!),

I couldn't find Harry Potter in Eng lit section. Anyway, we can discuss both the books and the movies together here.

Who's is yr fav. character?

How do u reckon the series will end??

blahblah
1st February 2005, 12:40 PM
Can't say who my favourite character is!May be I have to decide between Dumbledore and Hermione.
The series will probably end with both Voldemort and Dumbledore dying and Harry becoming an Auror or the Defence Against Dark Arts teacher at Hogwarts.

lordstanher
15th March 2005, 02:31 PM
I've read all the HP books as well (upto Order of the Phoenix).....jus can't wait til the next bookz released! Also bought VCDs of Cos & PoA.....personally tho I find the book stories more exciting than the ones in the movies.....they cut sum really exciting bits in the movies tat u read in the books..... :(
Btw, there was a rumour tat JKR is gonna finish off Ron in the nxt book?! :shock:

tomato
15th March 2005, 05:54 PM
I too am a HP and JKR fan. And like most of u have read all her books and yes repeatedly.
My Fav char is Ron. Some how he seems very real to me, so my heart just goes out to him.
As for the how the series wil end no doubt Harry will kill Vol :banghead: ( u know who ) , like - the triumph of good over evil.
Half blood prince - ...mm I guess it will be a new char not introduced so far in the first 5 books.

Avanthika
18th March 2005, 06:16 AM
I think Snape is the coolest teacher at Hogwarts. He is tough, and won't allow slacking. I love quittege. It was a wonderfully thought up sport. What do you guys think about it?

scorpio
18th March 2005, 10:37 AM
Snape?? You definitely have a very different taste!

My fav. character has always been Hermione. I too think Jo cannot end the series with a tragic end, good must triumph over evil and Voldy is gonna die! Will be very disappointing if she kills both Harry and Voldy in the last book.

Who do you think is going to kick the bucket in the sixth book? My bet is Lupin.

Badri
18th March 2005, 10:45 AM
Noooo...first Sirius now Lupin? What's with you bloodthirsty fiends???

Don't keep knocking off all everyone....

Nobody likes Minerva McGonagall? That's funny! I rather like her, and I think her character was played out admirably in the movie too.

Ron's a moron...see, even his name is part of the word..RON..moRON

Has anyone read Enid Blyton? I mean, seriously read Enid Blyton? I grew up reading Blyton - devoured her classics...from the Magic Faraway Tree to the Five Findouters and the Dog...

What JK Rowling has done is neatly lifted most of the plots/ideas from Blyton and given it a dark coloring. Blyton aimed at the little ones, so her books were always bright and cheery. JKR, in keeping with the times, has warped those innocent stories into sinister ones and is getting away with it... :twisted:

haha...now to sit back and watch the outrage!!!

scorpio
18th March 2005, 10:56 AM
Badri,
Want a war?? Seriously?? :twisted:

The main characters in Blyton's books never grow up, do they? My daughter was reading Enid Blyton like hell and got bored very soon as the characters are so mumdane after you read a couple of books ( Famous five series).

HP is probably the only children's ( also adult's) series where the main characters actually age upwards in every story and it is a different Harry in every book.

I'm not a great Ron fan myself, so, will wait for Ron fans to kill you on that!

Badri
18th March 2005, 11:14 AM
Sanda podalama? At least it will be a harmless sandai, unlike the vitriolic ones raging in the hub like Aryan and Dravidan stuff...

Enid Blyton vs JK Rowling?

Orinality vs plagiarism?

Innocence childhood vs Corrupted childhood?

Bright and cheery vs Dark and sinister?

Universally approved vs banned in some religous orders?

scorpio
18th March 2005, 11:24 AM
Badri,

Beware man, you'll probably end up fighting against, alone ( unless you PM JG to call Harry names) but there will be many to support HP!

Let me wait for some time to hear others views as well!

lordstanher
18th March 2005, 11:49 AM
I've read many Enid Blyton's novels. Also tried reading JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings (1st book) 3 years ago but um- found my interest waning in the middle & so....gave it up! :lol:
So I gotta admit, HP series r the most fascinating books I've read! :wink: (altho the part in GoF where JKR actually kills a character 4 the 1st time was a tad disturbing & did cause me shut the book then, I later got over it and still felt eager to continue reading HP books!).....well ppl. may say it doesn't exactly classify as an um- children's only book w/ the murderings described more or less explicitly in the last 2 issues but still, I can't but find it good fun to read..... :D
My fav. HP book/movie is 'Chamber of Secrets' mainly bcos it has an old flying car (a 1960s Ford Anglia) in it and since I'm addicted to old cars, twas on seeing this car on the cover of CoS in a bookshop at Hyd'bad 5 yrs ago tat I got curious to pick it up for the 1st time! :wink:
So it turns out tat unlike most other ppl., I started reading HP books from the 2nd book onwards! and then went 4 the 1st! :lol:
And I've been stuck on HP since.....old car or no old car! :wink:

Badri
18th March 2005, 11:50 AM
I was just kidding, Akka...I bought 4 of her 5 books...that ought to tell you how much I like her writing. It is original alright, not in content, but in presentation.

Dragons, magic, spells, witches on brooms are all old stuff. But JKR has done a remarkable job in wedding the old with the contemporary and above all, her writing style has managed to keep so many of us the world over hooked to her. That populism is itself proof of her skills.

Vox populi vox Dei

tomato
20th March 2005, 10:07 AM
Ron's a moron...see

Really!!!! I don't think so, I think Ron is adorable.

nirosha sen
20th March 2005, 07:57 PM
I think Ron is purposely kept that way, as a kind of kow-towing side-kick to Harry. Remember the 1st time they met? Both were two lost kids who kind of were drawn to each other because of their mild-mannered curiosity!

They weren't always trying to prove their intelligence the way Hermione does or aren't vitriolic like that piece of turd, Draco Malfoy(?)!!

Anyway, let's see what other saving graces there are, as we watch Ron grow with Harry by his side! I have hopes yet for that carrot-top!! :D

mirth
26th March 2005, 09:40 AM
Rowlings' characterization is better than many of other fantasy writers. Her characters are distinct individuals (not like in some books lsuch as the Tamuli Series by David Eddings, where all the characters seem to have similar traits of wittiness in dialogue and super intelligence).

Ron is one of my favourite characters. He is not the most talented in the magical sense or smart but he is the most normal kid among the three main characters. His insecurities, envys and desires make him a compelling character that balances Harry's character. He also happens to have a great sense of humour that Harry is sorely lacking at this point (though that is comprehensible). Unfortunately, in the movies he has been relegated to the role of a mere sidekick and comic relief though he is so much more than that.

cutelatina
27th March 2005, 06:57 AM
go to my page!!
all about dan and about the 4th movie

http://www.freewebs.com/danielrocksanddps/chatroom.htm

neel_patel
2nd April 2005, 06:36 PM
Can't say who my favourite character is!May be I have to decide between Dumbledore and Hermione.
The series will probably end with both Voldemort and Dumbledore dying and Harry becoming an Auror or the Defence Against Dark Arts teacher at Hogwarts.

hi Emma. Neel,
. Plz Send me your Personal E-mail Id So that we alone can be in touch or contact
I don' wanna loose a very valuable friend like you,
sorry But i Can't
Plz Give A Personal Id To me
I have problems I need to discuss with someone and I know that someone can't be better than you
Plz understand my feelings
N don't ask me why I am I asking you and only you of this favour and nobody else, then I would only say that, for many things there aren’t any reasons
And if u really want to discuss about this then my answer would be
I Like you, I dunno why But Yes I Like You
You call this madness
You call Love or You call this My Heartbeat But this is True

Love ………… many people can love each other and so on
But no one can love like me ! Do you know why because No one has You

Do you know what happened one day
I was sitting on my bed thinkin’ about you
I didn’t know how to contact you, how to convey my feelings to you
But then I heard your voice in my heart, you were in my soul:
“Neel, one more step
Just One more …..”
And I went on……..

Then suddenly a tear rolled out of my eyes,
I asked it, “Why are you out?”
It answered, “There is someone so beautiful, so gorgeous inside that there is no place left inside for me”.

Then one day one of my friends asked me why only Emma i.e. why only you ?
Not any other girl in the world and why only you ?
I said Its because, well She is a kind of person you know when I saw in her eyes straight through her heart I felt happy & sad together, I felt silent as well as terrified , and I reached an unreachable point and found out that I wasn’t ready for that and
The point is I didn’t know what exactly I felt …….

He said that I should forget you. He gave a reason too. He said that Emma can meet or rather get many people like you i.e. me. You know you are a superstar and ………
I am just …. Just Neel.
I said that I can’t forget you, I just can’t .. I ..I don’t want to forget you. I said that if my love is true, if I am doing the right thing then God will always help me... He will always be on my side.
Very few people know about my Love for you, 2 or 3 of my closest friends, its fine O.K.

Sorry I became emotional ……
But Think about it ……

Bye Till we Meet Again
Love from Neel.

neel_patel
2nd April 2005, 06:39 PM
hi Emma. Neel here,
. Plz Send me your Personal E-mail Id So that we alone can be in touch or contact
I don' wanna loose a very valuable friend like you,
sorry But i Can't
Plz Give A Personal Id To me
I have problems I need to discuss with someone and I know that someone can't be better than you
Plz understand my feelings
N don't ask me why I am I asking you and only you of this favour and nobody else, then I would only say that, for many things there aren’t any reasons
And if u really want to discuss about this then my answer would be
I Like you, I dunno why But Yes I Like You
You call this madness
You call Love or You call this My Heartbeat But this is True

Love ………… many people can love each other and so on
But no one can love like me ! Do you know why because No one has You

Do you know what happened one day
I was sitting on my bed thinkin’ about you
I didn’t know how to contact you, how to convey my feelings to you
But then I heard your voice in my heart, you were in my soul:
“Neel, one more step
Just One more …..”
And I went on……..

Then suddenly a tear rolled out of my eyes,
I asked it, “Why are you out?”
It answered, “There is someone so beautiful, so gorgeous inside that there is no place left inside for me”.

Then one day one of my friends asked me why only Emma i.e. why only you ?
Not any other girl in the world and why only you ?
I said Its because, well She is a kind of person you know when I saw in her eyes straight through her heart I felt happy & sad together, I felt silent as well as terrified , and I reached an unreachable point and found out that I wasn’t ready for that and
The point is I didn’t know what exactly I felt …….

He said that I should forget you. He gave a reason too. He said that Emma can meet or rather get many people like you i.e. me. You know you are a superstar and ………
I am just …. Just Neel.
I said that I can’t forget you, I just can’t .. I ..I don’t want to forget you. I said that if my love is true, if I am doing the right thing then God will always help me... He will always be on my side.
Very few people know about my Love for you, 2 or 3 of my closest friends, its fine O.K.

Sorry I became emotional ……
But Think about it ……

Bye Till we Meet Again
Love from Neel.

lordstanher
11th June 2005, 06:06 PM
Hi,
Does ne-one knows if the latest book (Half-blood prince) has been released yet?? If so when is it going to be released in India??

balakumar86
13th June 2005, 12:25 PM
i m now becoming a gr8 fan of jk rowling...
jus finished first 2 books(harry potter).
really gud.waiting 4 next 3 books(my friend ll giv)

scorpio
13th June 2005, 03:24 PM
Hi,
Does ne-one knows if the latest book (Half-blood prince) has been released yet?? If so when is it going to be released in India??

Lord,

Worldwide release of HP 6 is planned on July 16 2005. MAny bookshops in India too take pre-orders with good discounts and HP merchandise, if you hate to stand in queue during midnight to get one.. I have done a pre-order for around Rs 750.

Bala- Buy them and own them.. they are worth it.

lordstanher
14th June 2005, 08:31 PM
Tks for the info/advice, Akka! Wow, turns out the release is sonner than I expected! :D
I'll hav to find out abt local bookstored here tat r likely to get HP.......else will place a pre-order from my fav. bookstore at Hyd. :)

scorpio
15th June 2005, 12:23 PM
Lord,

Akka?? My goodness, I've really lost count of the number of Thambis I have in the hub! :)

chaotic whisperz
17th June 2005, 09:37 AM
harry potter sux.............................. :twisted: :twisted:

lordstanher
27th June 2005, 05:22 PM

Wow.......surprised to see u here as well! :roll:
Neways, I bet u havn't read a single HP book so far to be able to say for sure tat it sux!!

scorpio
27th June 2005, 05:45 PM
Neways, I bet u havn't read a single HP book so far to be able to say for sure tat it sux!!

Lord,

:rotfl:

chaotic whisperz
28th June 2005, 08:28 PM

as a matter of fact i have read them to see what alllllll the hype was about......... i found them to be quite boring.......................... just not my genre of book............

scorpio
15th July 2005, 11:31 AM
As the clocks tick for the D-Day tomorow, here's the official summary of HP6 relased by Bloomsbury..

http://www.bloomsbury.com/harrypotter/content.asp?sec=4&sec2=1&unart=yes&artTitle=Back%20Cover%20Copy%20Released

lordstanher
15th July 2005, 12:33 PM
As the clocks tick for the D-Day tomorow, here's the official summary of HP6 relased by Bloomsbury..

http://www.bloomsbury.com/harrypotter/content.asp?sec=4&sec2=1&unart=yes&artTitle=Back%20Cover%20Copy%20Released

Tks for the link, Akka! I just pre-ordered mine from Fabmall (B'lore).......jus sent the cheque for payment (Rs. 744) today....they said they'll be sending out the book soon as they get them 2moro......jus can't wait to get it.....finally!!!!!! :D

Badri
15th July 2005, 12:50 PM

Tks for the link, Akka! I just pre-ordered mine from Fabmall (B'lore).......jus sent the cheque for payment (Rs. 744) today....they said they'll be sending out the book soon as they get them 2moro......jus can't wait to get it.....finally!!!!!! :D

Really surprised how costly the book is in India! Here, in Australia, Borders is offering for $15, and that is less than Rs 500!!!

Anyway, good reading, folks!

scorpio
15th July 2005, 01:07 PM
LST,

Bookshops in Chennai now offer the book at around Rs 600+ :? Anyway, I did a pre-order long time back for Rs 764..

Some stores in the US have inadvertently sold HBP much before the release date and the initial reports are this book is quite shocking and leaves us on a 'cliff'..

Another 24 hours..cant wait..

ssanjinika
15th July 2005, 06:16 PM
Hi,
I guess I should introduce myself first.I am not quite new to this forum though this is the first time Ive visited this thread.Was suprised to find this thread infact :). I am a huuuggggeee HP fan and have read all the books relased so far atleast 3 times each :p.
My fav book of the series so far is The prisioner of Azkaban and my fav character is hmmm...i gotto think a bit about that..cant decide on one.

I think Snape is the coolest teacher at Hogwarts. He is tough, and won't allow slacking. I love quittege. It was a wonderfully thought up sport. What do you guys think about it?

:lol: :lol:
You are definitely in Slytherin !!!

BTW did any of you know that JKR has published 2 other books relating to the series.One is called Quiddich through the ages (all the info abt quiddich) and the other is Magical creatures( dont remember the name exactly..but it gives info about all the magical creatures plants and animals encountered in the books)

ssanjinika
15th July 2005, 06:20 PM
LST,

Bookshops in Chennai now offer the book at around Rs 600+ :? Anyway, I did a pre-order long time back for Rs 764..

Some stores in the US have inadvertently sold HBP much before the release date and the initial reports are this book is quite shocking and leaves us on a 'cliff'..

Another 24 hours..cant wait..

Hey..I just heard of one store in Cananda which sold the books last week by mistake.The courts then ordered the people who bought the books not to discuss it,lend it to anyone,or even read it before tomorrow.
Cant wait till tomorrow..am going to the store at 12 today to get the book :D

ssanjinika
15th July 2005, 06:25 PM
as a matter of fact i have read them to see what alllllll the hype was about......... i found them to be quite boring.......................... just not my genre of book............

Y read them all to find out how the book is??You could have just read one to decide if you like that style of writing.Cant imagine why a person would read 5 books to decide if he likes the series or not :lol: :lol:

chaotic whisperz
15th July 2005, 10:50 PM

Y read them all to find out how the book is??You could have just read one to decide if you like that style of writing.Cant imagine why a person would read 5 books to decide if he likes the series or not :lol: :lol:

when have i said i read them ALL?!?!

chaotic whisperz
15th July 2005, 10:54 PM
anyway......... the latest book was release early at a grocery store in Vancouver, Canada by accident........... and a gag order was released................. :lol: :lol: :lol:

ssanjinika
16th July 2005, 12:44 AM

Sorry I seem to have mis-read this line :P.

Cinefan
18th July 2005, 04:18 PM
http://in.rediff.com/getahead/2005/jul/18harry.htm

A review.

soccer_gal
18th July 2005, 11:37 PM
It was actually a few books stores in British Columbia, that sold the books a few days earlier as a marketing thing. Raincoast found out and ordered the book store to get the books back from the buyers. :lol: Most probably would think, no way would fans return the book, but they managed to do it. They said if the buyers returned the book, they would get a thank you gift etc.

Unfortunately, on Thursday night, the book was spoiled for me. Some dumb person scanned a page of the Prince of Blood and posted it on the internet. It was the mostttt important page, that tells you who got killed! :twisted: :twisted: I think many people got mad and reported the user to Bloomsbury. Anyways if you want to know what page it was, ********INSERT SPOILER ALERT********************************************* ************************************************** ***************************************curiosity killed the cat remember :P ************************************************** ************
page 606 :!:

soccer_gal
19th July 2005, 12:11 AM
Anyways, in the seventh book I think Harry will die.
If you remember in the fifth book the prophecy says how either Harry or Voldemort will have to die. I strongly think it will be Harry, because JK Rowling's story are unpredictable. Like who would have imagined Sirius to die in the fifth book :cry: He was really the only person you would consider "family" to Harry who loved him.

That or either both Harry and Voldemort die. They will have one evil person out of the world, including one "good person".

:roll:

chaotic whisperz
19th July 2005, 08:31 PM
It was actually a few books stores in British Columbia, that sold the books a few days earlier as a marketing thing. Raincoast found out and ordered the book store to get the books back from the buyers. :lol: Most probably would think, no way would fans return the book, but they managed to do it. They said if the buyers returned the book, they would get a thank you gift etc.

Unfortunately, on Thursday night, the book was spoiled for me. Some dumb person scanned a page of the Prince of Blood and posted it on the internet. It was the mostttt important page, that tells you who got killed! :twisted: :twisted: I think many people got mad and reported the user to Bloomsbury. Anyways if you want to know what page it was, ********INSERT SPOILER ALERT********************************************* ************************************************** ***************************************curiosity killed the cat remember :P ************************************************** ************

FYI: Vancouver is in British Columbia and British Columbia is in Canada............... duh

ssanjinika
21st July 2005, 06:45 PM
Did anyone read the Half blood prince yet?
How did you like the it ?

lordstanher
21st July 2005, 09:01 PM
Yep, I got my pre-ordered copy of HBP via courier only today evening at 5.......and started reading almost at once......been just 4 hrs since & I'm on page 93 already! :D
Jus don't feel like stopping....... :wink: :lol:
Of course I'm sure there r sum who wud've read the book even faster in a short time.......! :D

ssanjinika
21st July 2005, 09:38 PM
Yep, I got my pre-ordered copy of HBP via courier only today evening at 5.......and started reading almost at once......been just 4 hrs since & I'm on page 93 already! :D
Jus don't feel like stopping....... :wink: :lol:
Of course I'm sure there r sum who wud've read the book even faster in a short time.......! :D

Finish fast..Im waiting to discuss the book with some one else whos finished reading it :lol:

sahana6
22nd July 2005, 04:44 AM
i cant wait tilll the 4th movie comes out( nov.18) everyone looks reli diff. they have grown big time in the trailers

scorpio
22nd July 2005, 12:26 PM
I'm in the 10th chapter now..

sajinika -How did u find the book?

ssanjinika
22nd July 2005, 05:47 PM
Pre ordered it from Barnes & Nobel..went to the bookstore at 12pm friday night to get it :D

lordstanher
22nd July 2005, 10:54 PM
Finish fast..Im waiting to discuss the book with some one else whos finished reading it :lol:

Um........u mean to say u've finished reading it already?? Wow........talk abt fast! :D
Well, I'm nearly1/2 way thru chapter 11.....don't wanna rush w/ this book.....'afraid u gotta hav sum more patience for me to finish, sorry.......! :wink: :lol:

chaotic whisperz
22nd July 2005, 10:57 PM
Pre ordered it from Barnes & Nobel..went to the bookstore at 12pm friday night to get it :D

dont you mean 12 am Saturday morning?????????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

soccer_gal
24th July 2005, 06:30 AM

FYI: Vancouver is in British Columbia and British Columbia is in Canada............... duh

Congrats on picking up my mistake.
Shouldn't you be happy. :roll:

Anywho, I saw ssanjinika's post, where she said some place in Canada. I never saw your post below hers, okay.

Lastly, for your information, I live in Canada, and I've been to Vancouver, so I don't need you to explain me stuff.

soccer_gal
24th July 2005, 06:34 AM
Anyways I finished the book. I was absolutely hooked to it.
I thought the ending was kind of er abrupt and disappointing, not because *dot dot dot* died, the ending was just bad compared to the rest of the book, specifically the beginning.

I liked how you found out more about Voldemort, a.k.a Tom Riddle in the story.

I don't know, the 7th book, sounds like Lord of the Rings to me, with the whole going on a journey to find the remaining horuxes (er spelling!).

ssanjinika
25th July 2005, 07:17 PM
Thats true..I was absolutely hooked to the book.The ending didnt shock me, I was expecting something like that but what did dissappoint me was someone turning out to be you know what.I was expecting there to be some kind of twist there :P.As some article in some site said this is the most mature HP I have read in the sense it is no longer the story of a boy wizard it is the story of a young man who is a wizard.And you can sense that mood.You know its not all going to be hunky-dory anymore.Anyways I cant wait for the last book.Anyone know when JKR is going to start on it?

lordstanher
26th July 2005, 03:36 PM
Well........I've finally finished reading the book today (*phew* I do read thru HP books fast! :D ).......
Yea even I was quite disturbed abt the ending where ****** dies, tat too at the hands of ******, of all the ppl.! Infact for a few mins. I felt my insides begning to boil at JKR, made me wonder if she's turned into sum kind of sadist! :?
Nevrtheless, wat an astounding twist JKR gave her book this time! This was like totally unexpected.......I'm sure all of us knew tat sumone wud die in this as well, but never knew it wud be......!:D
thot she'd make it happen in the next/final book.........oh well, let's see wat happens in tat........until then, I'd like to hear the comments of others who've finished HBP! :D

chaotic whisperz
26th July 2005, 08:15 PM

Congrats on picking up my mistake.
Shouldn't you be happy. :roll:

Anywho, I saw ssanjinika's post, where she said some place in Canada. I never saw your post below hers, okay.

Lastly, for your information, I live in Canada, and I've been to Vancouver, so I don't need you to explain me stuff.

you live in Canada, yet you dont know the cities and provinces....... :roll: :shock: :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll: :roll:

and FYI: I live in Canada as well

Shoba
27th July 2005, 06:10 PM
I found the Half Blood Prince a bit of a disappointment, actually. I felt incredibly sad for "the death"though.

It felt as if JKR was writing this book for the sake of writing & finishing it...and in all honesty it was the last 20 or so pages which was dark enough. Prior to that she was indulging in a lot of mushy stuff, which spoilt the essence of reading a Potter book.

Azkaban & The Order of Phoenix were "dark" and the tempo leading upto these books were also really good. Somehow the HBP didnt have the requisite amount of magic in it...and here we are looking at the wizards & witches getting older and therefore they should be portrayed with a dash more danger.

Just my opinion. I will of course, read the book once again :-), as I do all other Potter books.

Shoba

soccer_gal
27th July 2005, 11:46 PM
Thats true..I was absolutely hooked to the book.The ending didnt shock me, I was expecting something like that but what did dissappoint me was someone turning out to be you know what.I was expecting there to be some kind of twist there :P.As some article in some site said this is the most mature HP I have read in the sense it is no longer the story of a boy wizard it is the story of a young man who is a wizard.And you can sense that mood.You know its not all going to be hunky-dory anymore.Anyways I cant wait for the last book.Anyone know when JKR is going to start on it?

She'll be starting on the seventh book at the end of this year. She wants to take a break and look after her new baby girl.

Anyways, I personally think the book lost it's "magic" after the third book. Things began to get sloppy from then.....

slperson1
30th July 2005, 05:34 AM
I thought 3rd book was good but then 4th book was disappointing (1st half of it) too much filler but 5th book was good.which made me look forward to the 6th book. 6th book was goin good until the end then it seemed like she didnt know how to finish it.7th book seems predictable and stuff she has some work to do to make it interesting.

Kateangeline
19th November 2005, 03:25 PM
Hi friends,

Has anyone seen the latest potter movie(4th in the series)?If so,how is it?Is it as dark & dangerous as the reviews claim it to be?

Regards,
Kate.

RR
27th June 2006, 08:34 PM
Seventh Harry Potter has two more deaths

June 27, 2006 15:18 IST

If you are one of the millions of readers awaiting the seventh and final book of the Harry Potter series, these words will seem ominous.

And in an interview broadcast on Britain's Channel 4, author J K Rowling has admitted to more than just killing off two characters who she 'did not intend to die' in the final instalment of the series which has made her richer than the English Queen and rewritten the history of children's fiction.

She has said she wrote the final chapter a long time ago, and that it is hidden away, 'although it's now changed very slightly.'

And if you are waiting for confirmation of the Harry Potter fan's deepest fear -- that the boy wizard will die to rid the world of the evil Lord Voldemort -- you will have to draw your own conclusion.

All Rowling said was, 'I've never been tempted to kill him (Harry) off before the end of Book 7, because I always planned seven books, and that's where I want to go. I can completely understand, however, the mentality of an author who thinks, "Well, I'm going to kill them off because that means there can be no non-author-written sequels."'

But Potter fans need not break their wands in despair yet, as Rowling has also said, 'One character got a reprieve.'

http://inhome.rediff.com/movies/2006/jun/27harry.htm

Unicorn
6th July 2006, 01:16 PM
As long as she doesnt finishes Hermione Granger its ok :razz:

atomhouse
7th July 2006, 10:44 AM
After reading HP & half-blood prince, I still think Snape is on Dumbledore's side.B'coz he did not harm Harry given the chance.What is your opinion?

(Also, got to see HP & goblet of fire dubbed in tamil.The last part which was supposed to be very dark & dreadful sounded so hilarious in tamil)

blahblah
9th July 2006, 10:06 AM
I wonder why people consider it silly stuff when they haven't read it or it doesn't go with their taste.If it doesn't have literary value,it has entertainment value atleast.

Only problem is that it is very expensive according to Indian standards.[A book costing Rs.750/- is expensive indeed].Then we have the old Indian art of piracy.I bought it for 200/- :D :wink: .

dheeraj_kumar
10th July 2006, 03:17 PM
I downloaded it off net. :D

According to me, Harry and Voldemort die in the end. The epilogue has Ron and Hermione's wedding and Remus and Tonks' too. Ginny gives her love and sacrifices herself to save Harry in the final battle like his mother did sixteen years ago.

scorpio
11th July 2006, 12:24 PM
Blah Blah! :-)

How r u buddy? Long time, no see :roll:

Badri
11th July 2006, 12:58 PM
I downloaded it off net. :D

According to me, Harry and Voldemort die in the end. The epilogue has Ron and Hermione's wedding and Remus and Tonks' too. Ginny gives her love and sacrifices herself to save Harry in the final battle like his mother did sixteen years ago.

:banghead:

:argh:

Tamizh masala film of the 80s type!!!

blahblah
13th July 2006, 02:10 PM
Blah Blah! :-)

How r u buddy? Long time, no see :roll:

True friend,like the Dark Lord isn't it? I am just waiting for the next school year to begin,unless I can steal the sorceror's stone. :D

And I hope the death eaters will be there when I come back to power. :twisted:

THEN THERE IS NO MANDAKKAI TO BEAT !

vuchuuuu
27th August 2006, 02:27 AM
wooooooooo hooooooooo... HARRY POTTER! :D

ragav89
21st September 2006, 09:31 PM
jk has been 1 of the best ever since she has started writing her works are really great and i have read all the books and have seen all the films the books are really with great thrill and suspence...

Wibha
29th October 2006, 07:06 AM
as long as Harry does not die it's fine wid me

sm maddy
9th December 2006, 12:53 PM
Hey guys the story may end with the ending of hogwarts after the death of the followin' characters-
Harry
Voldemort

Well this account may or may not come true
cause Trelawney had told in the prophecy-

The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches..... born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies....and the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have the power the Dark Lord knows not ... and either must die at the hands of the other for neither can live while the other survives ....

sundararaj
10th December 2006, 03:48 PM
Sorry...I'm not.

southiecook
21st December 2006, 11:33 PM
Hot news !!! :D :D

Book 7 (final) title got announced today.
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows."....

:roll: :roll: 8-)

Wibha
21st December 2006, 11:57 PM
:redjump: THANK U!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

harry is cute :wink:

Janar
24th April 2007, 04:37 PM
Hmm...u think harry will still live by the end of the book? I know Voldemort won't,lol

thamizhvaanan
24th April 2007, 04:41 PM
:redjump: THANK U!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

harry is cute :wink:u mean that scarface? :lol2:

Janar
24th April 2007, 05:03 PM
haha, u juz incurred the wrath of tons of women all over the world!

thamizhvaanan
24th April 2007, 05:38 PM
:lol: kinda used to it these days :ashamed: :P

smith1
26th July 2007, 07:22 PM
Wonder how harry potter books became so famous?

They are below par.

edguy111
7th November 2007, 05:06 PM
I agree...seems like somekind of mass hypnosis has taken over everbody! it's a sad state of affairs when adults are obsessing over a kids book, especially when there is a wealth of decent literature out there to read.

chevy
7th November 2007, 05:32 PM
Hmm, i blev j k rowling has recently messed up her character " dumbledore " by announcing in some interview that he is gay..

killua
28th January 2009, 02:38 AM
Any news on

Beetle the bard

anybody?

Wibha
28th January 2009, 07:42 AM
I read a few chapters from the book.. It's really plain. Not the usual enthusiastic, interesting Harry Potter :( No wonder there's no news ob it.

killua
28th January 2009, 07:44 PM
What is it about?

Wibha
30th January 2009, 12:09 PM
Just a bunch of bed/ short stories for kid introducing them to the *magical world*. Not as impressive and interesting as the others.

killua
2nd February 2009, 02:47 AM
That's just appalling. bed time stories.. terrible.

wasn't there some news about 6 copies of a lengthy HP epilogue, which she gave only to friends & auctioned one copy to a billionaire.

oh well, what can us mere fans do but grieve & move on........... :D

Wibha
14th July 2009, 09:58 AM
:boo:

The 6th one :boo:

Hopefully I get tickets to the midnight show :D :D :D

NOV
14th July 2009, 10:23 AM
Releasing here on Thursday. Probably I'll see during the weekend. Tickets shouldnt be a problem - it will open in all cinemas. :P

When is it releasing there?

Wibha
14th July 2009, 10:38 AM
Wednesday Midnight. :D

The 12 O'Clock show is already booked in ALL the theaters near my place :|. Hopefully 12:30 :shaking:

Or atleast Thursday :? :(

NOV
20th November 2010, 08:44 AM
HP 7 (1) :thumbsup:
more story and less gimmicks

anisha_astrologer
22nd December 2011, 02:11 PM
i am a big Harry Potter fan. its not that i don't like the movies but i have found the books more better. i can read them over and over again without tiring myself.

NOV
22nd December 2011, 07:39 PM
i am a big Harry Potter fan. its not that i don't like the movies but i have found the books more better. i can read them over and over again without tiring myself.
thats the same for any book...
certainly films are no comparison with book... cos with books, imagination is the limit!

anisha_astrologer
27th December 2011, 01:23 PM
thats the same for any book...
certainly films are no comparison with book... cos with books, imagination is the limit!
agreed. I enjoy watching the movies but reading the book is an experience of a lifetime.