PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood Score of the Week

ost_fan
30th January 2005, 09:56 PM
I used to enjoy the "Song of the Day" thread in tfmpage and was inspired to start a similar thread for Hollywood/European Film Music. This thread could have information on Hollywood/European film music Composers, their style and some their interesting compositions.

I would like to start this with the score for The Omen by Jerry Goldsmith.

When Goldsmith was presented with a story on Anti-Christ, he came up with a couple of ideas.

1. He composed the theme based on the Devil's Tritone. Devil's Tritone also called Devil's Chord or Devil's Interval, is a musical interval which produces complete dissonance. The effect was so dissonant that the music was believed in ancient Europe to have been composed by the Satan himself. Hence the tritone was banned ( believed to be by Pope) in all Christian religious music!

2. Ave Maria is a holy Catholic song set in the Latin language. Ave Maria meaning Hail Mary is a song which glorifies Mary. Goldsmith composed a choral work in Latin named Ave Satani. The song had lyrics glorifying the Satan.

The result was a work so eerie that it has become a film score classic. Jerry Goldsmith was rewarded with an Academy award for this score. Sadly, this was the only time the great composer got an Oscar.

Couple of things for the Administrators :

- I wanted to start this thread under "International Film Music", but sadly it has degenerated into a ringtones forum. Moreover I felt the thread could get more visibility here.

- Is it allowed to upload/link music files to enhance the posts?

natha1729
30th January 2005, 10:40 PM
In Nooravadhu Naal, in an eerie "dark" but spectacular IR-VJ song, Urugudhy, Idhayamae Vaa Vaa.... the prelude, and 2 interludes will knock the daylights off The Omen theme....

This is a good topic, so let us say u get 100 great hollywood scores (i am not sure if there are that many) and find equivalent interludes among 4000*2 interludes + say 2,000 preludes just from IR songs alone, forget S_G, MSV, other languages, bakcground socres, etc... then, I think this topic will be really interesting. But, i think a similar discussion is available in a different thread not long ago....

Good luck!

RR
1st February 2005, 08:57 AM
ost_fan: Sorry to disappoint you, we cannot allow it on a TFM forum. Isn't this topic too remote to be related to Tamil Films or even Indian Films? :) Would've been ok if it's on BGM of tamil films. Or at least some TFM connection as natha1729 pointed out.
If you still insist, there are active forums like 'Miscellaneous Topics' on The Hub where I can move this topic for you.

ost_fan
2nd February 2005, 09:34 AM
RR, Thanks for your response. Regardding moving this to Misc Forum - never mind, just delete this thread.