PDA

View Full Version : Raja - Live in Concerts - Madurai Concert Telecast/Videos

Pages : [1] 2 3

naarayanan
28th December 2011, 08:57 PM
Friends, let us have the post concert reviews here in this thread. Also share your experiences.

The show is on now, thrashing away silly threats like the one from pdk and braving the mighty threat of storm 'thane'. There was a brief drizzle but otherwise the weather gods are with the rasikas of Raja.

I wish i could be there but missed the show due to some reasons. All my raja friends are there at the concert and are updating me from there.

the song list are paruvame, idhayam oru koil, nee partha parvai (Raja himself played piano for this song.) I shall update more.

Endrendrum Raja 2011 Telecast Videos
Part 1 (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?9627-Endrendrum-Raja-Live-in-Concert-28.12.2011-Nehru-Stadium-Chennai&p=800235&viewfull=1#post800235)
Part 2 (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?9627-Endrendrum-Raja-Live-in-Concert-28.12.2011-Nehru-Stadium-Chennai&p=800501&viewfull=1#post800501)
Part 3 (final) (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?9627-Endrendrum-Raja-Live-in-Concert-Chennai-Videos&p=801081&viewfull=1#post801081)

naarayanan
28th December 2011, 09:02 PM
En iniya pon nilave - kjy
kanmaniye kadhal - spb and some new voice.
ayiram malargale - anita and karthick
putham pudhu kalai by chitra
chinna kannan by Balamurali himself - thank god, ir did justice to the song this time. :)
vizhiyile malarndhadhu by spb
poove sempoove by kjy
oru jeevan by raja and chitra

courtesy: Saravana Kumar (madurai)

naarayanan
28th December 2011, 10:14 PM
ASK theme right now.......

poongathave......now

earlier edho mogam by karthik and reeta
madai thirandhu by spb
oru ragam padalodu by kjy
sundari neeyum by haricharan and ?

naarayanan
28th December 2011, 10:29 PM
ayiram thamarai.....

Naan thedum sevvandhi poo...........'once more' requests like last time..........this time itself is thrice more......:)

sundari kannal........again

baroque
28th December 2011, 10:29 PM
Mighty compositions from Raja!:musicsmile:

aahaa!

naanum onnu onna kettudaren from this list!

Raja, second interlude of chinna kannan azhaikiraan... janu's version play pannunga!:swinghead:

We Love You!

vinatha

naarayanan
28th December 2011, 11:08 PM
ilangathu veesudhe.....:(
ninaivo oru paravai.......:)

naarayanan
28th December 2011, 11:15 PM
vacha parvai theeradhadi.....kjy
kaatu kuyilu........spb and kjy

5 hours and continuing.........

RR
28th December 2011, 11:19 PM
there was supposed to be some suspense elements. anything?

naarayanan
28th December 2011, 11:30 PM
a piece with only 2 notes.........?!:)

baroque
28th December 2011, 11:52 PM
:-D

Raja.. super!

Show the world, Who is monarch of music! :-D

அழகிய கண்ணே... சில தடவை இப்போ கேட்டு, அப்படியே, choked with emotions , என்ன mood change interlude புல்லாங்குழல்/strings இசையில்!

V_S
29th December 2011, 12:26 AM
Great to hear all the news and updates. Thanks Narayanan for opening a thread exclusively for this. :clap: Only physically I am here, all my mind is over there.
And a song with just two notes? Yes as vinatha beautifully mentioned, 'monarch of music', only IR possible. :D :notworthy: Can't wait to listen to that.

Srimannarayanan
29th December 2011, 02:07 AM
Amma endru Azhaikatha - KJY

Nanaga Naanillai - SPB

Nee partha parvai - Hariharan and Dont know her name

Who sung the Etho Moham Song?

omega
29th December 2011, 02:33 AM
Etho moham was by Krishnachandar and S.Janaki (Kozhi Kuvuthu)...

raajarasigan
29th December 2011, 10:37 AM
Thanks Guys for the update :clap:

Kamesh :notworthy: for the listing.... ivlo paattu concert'la sathiyama namba mudila... :D

app_engine
29th December 2011, 11:10 AM
Fantastic selections from my favourite rAsA era :thumbsup:

Can't wait to watch this on TV!

Divine22
29th December 2011, 12:24 PM
Me 2,3,4.....

naarayanan
29th December 2011, 07:24 PM
A photo album.......

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150485840133444.388712.684238443&type=1

Full list:

1) Janani Janani - Thaai Mookambikai
2) Amma Endrazhithaal - Mannan
3) Naanaga Naanillai - Thoongathe Thambi Thoongathe
4) Idhayam Pogudhey - Pudhiya Vaarpugal (heart sliced into two)
5) Paruvame - Nenjathai Killathe (Bliss)
6) Idhayam Oru Kovil - Idhaya Kovil
7) Nee Paartha Paarvai - Hey Ram
8) En Iniya Pon Nilave - Moodupani
9) Kanmaniye Kadhal - Aarilirundhu Aruvadhuvarai
10) Aayiram Malargale - Niram Maaratha Pookal
11) Putham Pudhu Kaalai - Alaigal Oyvathillai
12) Chinna Kannan Azhaikiraan - Kavikkuyil (from the King himself BMK)
13) Vizhiyile Malarndhadhu - Bhuvana Oru Kelvikuri
14) Poove Sempoove - Solla Thudikkidhu Manasu
15) Oru Jeevan Azhaithathu - Geethanjali
16) Edho Mogam - Kozhi Koovudhu
17) Madai Thirandhu - Nizhalgal (Balu express)
18) Oru Raagam Paadalodu - Anandha Ragam
19) Sundari Neeyum - Michael Madhana Kamarajan
20) Naan Thedum Sevvanthi - Dharma Pathini
21) Gum Sum Gum - Paa
22) Aayiram Thamarai - Alaigal Oyvathillai
23) Poongathave - Nizhalgal
24) Sundari Kannal - Thalapathy
25) Ilangaathu Veesudhey - Pithamagan
26) En Mana Vaanil - Kaasi
27) Raja Kaiya Vacha - Aboorva Sagotharargal
28) Ninaivo Oru Paravai - Sigappu Rojakkal
29) Idhu Oru Nila Kaalam - Tik Tik Tik
30) Vacha Paarvai Theerathadi - Ilamai Kolam
31) Kaattukuyil - Thalapathy (a feast by SPB and KJY)
32) Kannan Oru - Bhadrakali
33) Ilamai Idho Idho - Sakalakala Vallavan (last song to end the event)

Other Extras:
i) Azhagarsamiyin Kuthirai Theme music
ii) Balki explaining Raaja's BGM composing and playing a scene from Paa
iii) Raaja performing a 2 note song with just Sa and Ri
iv) A medley comprising of Keladi Kanmani (Pudhu Pudhu Arthangal) , Poongatru Pudhidhanadhu (Moonram Pirai) , Yaar Thoorigai (Paaru Paatanam Paaru)

venkkiram
29th December 2011, 07:47 PM
சிறப்பான பாடல் தொகுப்பாக இருந்தாலும் ம.வாசுதேவன், சொர்ணலதா பாடல்கள் இடம்பெறாதது ஒரு வகையில் வருத்தமளிக்கிறது. மறக்கப்படுவதைப் போல வேறொன்றும் இல்லை!

naarayanan
29th December 2011, 08:04 PM
http://youtu.be/f7N6dEbzwqk

amma enru azhaikadha......

naarayanan
29th December 2011, 08:07 PM
Venkiraam, who can do justice to MV's voice today? it is better not to hear his songs through someone else's stupid voice than to try it. that also could have been the reason.

naarayanan
29th December 2011, 08:39 PM
Endrendum Raaja -- Jaya TV -- Part 1

BY Vels MP (our own Vel)

The opening teaser (documentary) on Raaja was just awesome ! Now i will list the somgs one by one.....
1) Janani Janani - Thaai Mookambikai - how many times i have heard this one, i have lost count....but when the master sat down to sing this, and as the charanams rolled by, there i was, all in tears. It touched me deep down in my soul....that first song was worth the Rs.750 i paid. Rest all was a bonus !!

2) Amma Endrazhaikaadha - Mannan -- Raaja had the audience in splits when he stressed that both he and KJY loved Amma -- and Raaja clarified jokingly on which Amma he meant , by pointing to the sky and stressed again on the word ""Ämma" -- ha ha haa. About the song, I just cannot believe KJY sang the charanams (wrongly) in his own tune. This is the first of the many other slips he would make in the show later.

3) Naanaga Naanillai - Thoongathe Thambi Thoongathe - SPB -- that ice cream voice that you can die for. Awesome shenai play and the orchestra was excellent. Shenai, flute, veenai/sitar wow wow .....

4) ( a) What is a symphony – a mini lecture and demo – Raaja summarized that a symphony is like multiple poems being recited parallely ! He conducted a mini symphony like he was a a man possessed and then went on to say this Schubert’s symphony was his inspiration to compose Idhayam pogudhaey

4) Idhayam Pogudhey - Pudhiya Vaarpugal (heart sliced into two) – the above symphony and this song merged into one and this number (sung briefly) was elevated in its effect when Maestro sung in his own voice

5) Paruvame - Nenjathai Killathe – Raaja recollected how they tried different things to get the foottap/jogging sound...the man who actually did the tapping on his thighs was then introduced....SPB was a killer in this song...he sang it to 200% perfection ! the interludes by the stunning orchestra was something out of the world !

6) Idhayam Oru Kovil - Idhaya Kovil – scintillating orchestra and in the masters commanding voice....when he pointed to the audience while singing,””enadhu jeevan needhan endrum pudhidhu” the audience exploded to a thunderous response! Man, he knows how to connect to the crowd !!

7) Nee Paartha Paarvai - Hey Ram – Raaja played the piano in some portions ...it was a great sight as the camera zoomed on his effortless movements over the piano keys....Hariharan missed the tempo and then corrected himself....surprising how he cannot get wrong such an acclaimed hit song of his own voice!!

8) En Iniya Pon Nilave – Moodupani – KJY sang this with lot of attitude & energy...powerful performances by the orchestra, and was a musical feast !!

9) Kanmaniye Kadhal - Aarilirundhu Aruvadhuvarai – I recollect a old Raaja interview where he says even before mannil indha kaadhal, he had composed breathless numbers (continuous singing is needed) – at this age, SPB sang this song with awesome breath control.

10) Aayiram Malargale - Niram Maaratha Pookal – i think karthik iyer sang this song with anitha and priya...this guy karthik had a great bass voice (of course Malaysia is still miles ahead), and could be an alternative better choice for new songs that Raaja generally gives to Tippu. Karthik sung it to near perfection ! Orchestra was bang on target, as was the case with all the songs!

11) Putham Pudhu Kaalai - Alaigal Oyvathillai – just the prelude had the audience go mad....the flute, the strings...the fine guitar lines....electric listening pleasure this song. How i wish Janaki to have been a part of this show....the second interlude strings work.....heavenly.

12) Chinna Kannan Azhaikiraan - Kavikkuyil (from the King himself BMK) – BMK hugged Raaja and SPB fondly....he appreciated Raaja for his pudhumai, thiramai etc, and then said because this china kannan called me, i have come here (china kannan he pointed was our raja)...at this age, BMK sang this song as good as the old one...the way he sang “rahasiya”in a hushed voice was nice...a reethigowlai raga treasure for us to cherish for ever !

13) Vizhiyile Malarndhadhu - Bhuvana Oru Kelvikuri – strings strings strings....a look at the way this song is taxing on the violin musicians will let us understand why they call Raaja the music raatshasan......the other instruments did their jobs very nicely...bad the screen didn’t show Sada sir playing the opening guitar lines (or did i miss it ??) Anyways, Sada didn’t get enough screen space i would say !

14) Poove Sempoove - Solla Thudikkidhu Manasu – if vizhiyilae malarndhadhu taxed the violin players, this one was many times tougher...and as if this were not enough, KJY missed the timing and he didn’t start the charanam at the right time he had to. This happened 3 times before he got it right. The audience made loud noise alerting that KJY was picking the charanams at the wrong place....But this incident was a blessing in disguise as we all got the orchestra to repeat that strings bit again and again !

15) Oru Jeevan Azhaithathu – Geethanjali – In the charanams, the original lines are
“kamangal ondre en kaadhal alla kandene unnai thaayaaga”... Raaja beautifully generalized this as a common feeling to all woman – he sings ,”kamangal ondre en kaadhal all, kanaene pennai thaiyaaga” – that was proof he was not merely perfoming, but actually expressing himself to the audience. He did something similar while singing some raw lines in ándha nilava than kaiyila pudichen’during the one man show.

Let me take a breather...rest in part II

Devaraagam
29th December 2011, 10:20 PM
Narayanan, kodi punniyam for you to explain the event like this.. :)

baroque
29th December 2011, 10:28 PM
Wow! Wow!Wow!

Songs list is a dynamite! :thumbsup:

Jaya TV,

Superb job, please release in quality DVD with working songs selection option.

oh... 2 notes composition panninaaraa!:shoot:

adhaan Rajanna Rajadhaan!:-D

Yesterday I was talking about this 2 notes composition while we were watching TINTIN, a friend told me about the music piece in JAWS by John Williams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=J3wGsVdAlnc

Thank you all for the update, will enjoy one by one during this holidays.

Vinatha.

Sureshs65
29th December 2011, 10:44 PM
Excellent writeup by Vel. By a sudden twist I ended up in Chennai instead of going to Kerala and was lucky to attend the program. I am waiting for Vel to put up his part 2 soon.

This is for venkiram. 'Ayiram Malargale' did have Malaysia's voice and Raja specifically dedicated that song to Malaysia Vasudevan.

venkkiram
29th December 2011, 10:56 PM
சுரேஷ், சுட்டிக் காட்டலுக்கு நன்றி. நாராயணனின் பதிவில் பத்தாவது பாடலாக ஆயிரம் மலர்களே பாடல் இடம்பெற்றதை படித்தபோதே உணர்ந்தேன்.

:notworthy: Raja specifically dedicated that song to Malaysia Vasudevan :notworthy:

Sureshs65
29th December 2011, 11:37 PM
I posted it in the another. Posting here to keep all comments in one place.

Met SKR yesterday (To be honest he came a long way around to meet me. Thanks for that.) Could not meet KV as he was sitting on the opposite side to me. Also met Usha and Shankar. I went with Rajasaranam and Eagle. The concert was superb. It had it failings in terms of singers not up to mark or making mistakes but overall it was a terrific show. They have put in extraordinary effort for this show and it showed. (Pardon the unintended pun.)

The orchestra was terrific and the song selection was a surprise. My friends were of the opinion that many 90s popular songs would be sung. They didn't have much hope on early 80s. And 70s was unimaginable. But they were in for a terrific surprise. After the mandatory 'Janani Janani' and 'Amma Enrazhaikkaadha' came the first surprise. No one expected 'Naanaga Naanillai' and it saw SPB sing it with gusto. After a brief 'Idhyam Pogudhe' came 'Paruvame'. Again a song people didn't expect in this program. 'en iniya pon nilave' was the next surprise, though some were expecting it based on some leaked clip. Then came 'Kanmaniye Kadhal Enbadhu' followed by 'Ayiram Malargale Malarungal' which had hubber 'Eagle' exclaim ecstatically "Wow, what song selection". And when 'Putham Pudhu Kaalai', 'Chinna Kannan azhaikkiraan', 'Vizhiyile Malarndhadhu' followed, his cup was spilling over and he commented, "Someone seems to have accessed the songs I listen to at night and made this playlist!!!" For me the most unexpected song was 'Oru Raagam Paadalodu'. It is a favorite song of mine but I would never have dreamt that they would have included it in this program. But include they did.

I personally feel that they did a good job in the way they structured the playlist. The more unexpected songs happened in the first half and in the later half, when people would be more tired, they included most of the tried and tested songs, 'sundari kannaal', 'madai thirandhu', 'ilangkaathu veesudhe' etc. That ensured the audience attention was kept intact upto midnight.

Coming to the inclusion of 'en mana vaanil' song, I too was of the same opinion as Plum. A friend sitting next to me remarked, 'this is a S A Rajkumar tune'. Eagle wasn't impressed and said, "no way. this has lot of work". It was only during the interludes and when Hariharan started singing the charanams I noticed what a remarkable song it was. I have never given it any time of the day and have always thought it was mediocre song but I now changed my opinion. The way the tune moves in the charanams and the energy the tune carries are amazing. And as Eagle perinently pointed out, "This song is supposed to be sung by a blind poor man. Not by some sophisticated fellow". With this background the song makes perfect sense.

All the while I was thinking of our fellows hubbers, especially app_eng and V_S as the songs featured are their favorite ones. I am sure they would have thoroughly enjoyed the program.

From my side, I wish there were a couple of more songs from the 2000s. 'Virumandi', 'Mumbai Express', 'Naan Kadavul' could have been my choices but given that 5 hrs is just too short for inclusion of everyones favorite, I think Subhasree and Jaya TV folks did a terrific job. Kudos to them for having the confidence in Raja fans and going ahead and choosing some lovely songs and not peppering the program with speeches or trying to fit in 'peppy' numbers.

Overall an excellent experience. Will probably write more about the experience in my blog soon.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
30th December 2011, 12:15 AM
இளையராஜா நிகழ்ச்சி - அந்த பக்கமே வராத நடிகர்கள் (http://www.tamilcinema.com/CINENEWS/Hotnews/2011/dec/291211c.asp)

இசைஞானி இளையராஜாவின் ஹிட்டுகளுக்கும் மெட்டுகளுக்கும் அடிமையாகிக் கிடப்பது கோடிக்கணக்கான மக்கள் மட்டுமல்ல, அநேக பத்திரிகையாளர்களும் கூடதான். கடந்த சில தினங்களுக்கு முன் ஜெயா டி.வி சார்பாக நடந்த அவரது பிரஸ்மீட்டில் ராஜாவின் 'என்றென்றும் ராஜா' நிகழ்ச்சி குறித்து நிறைய பேசப்பட்டது. ஆர்வமிக்க ஒரு நிருபர் எழுந்து, 'ராஜா சார். உங்க கூட போட்டோ எடுத்துக்கணும்னு பலருக்கும் ஆசை இருக்கு. அதுக்கு நீங்க அனுமதிக்கணும்' என்றார். அந்தளவுக்கு அவர் மீது அன்பும் மரியாதையும் வைத்திருக்கும் இவர்கள், குறிப்பிட்ட நிகழ்ச்சிக்கு அழைப்பு வரும் என்று காத்திருந்து காத்திருந்து காது சோர்ந்ததுதான் மிச்சம். கடைசி நிமிடம் வரைக்கும் 'அது' வந்து சேரவே இல்லை.

சரி... என்னதான் நடந்தது விழாவில்? நேற்று வந்த மும்பை, கேரள நடிகைகள் கூட எனக்கு ராஜா சார் பாட்டுன்னா உயிர் என்று பேட்டியளித்திருக்கிறார்கள். ஆனால் இந்த விழாவில் ஒரு நடிகையின் தலையை கூட காண முடியவில்லை. நடிகர்கள் இன்னும் மோசம். ராஜாவின் இசையால் வாழ்ந்த பழைய நடிகர்கள் கூட யாரும் இல்லை அங்கே. அவ்வளவு வெறுமையிலும் பசுமையாக கண்ணுக்கு தெரிந்தவர் விவேக் மட்டும்தான். முந்தைய நாளே தனக்கான டிக்கெட்டை கேட்டு வாங்கி வைத்திருந்தாராம்.

இந்த நிகழ்ச்சிக்கு எப்படியாவது எனக்கு டிக்கெட் வேணும் என்று போராடி வாங்கிய பிரபல இசையமைப்பாளர் விஜய் ஆன்ட்டனி, தேவி ஸ்ரீ பிரசாத் ஆகியோரை இந்த நேரத்தில் பாராட்டிதான் ஆக வேண்டும்.

இன்னொரு நல்ல தகவலும் நம் காதுக்கு வந்தது. இந்த நிகழ்ச்சியை அப்படியே வீட்டில் இருந்தபடியே ரசித்தாராம் தமிழக முதல்வர் ஜெ. இவருக்கு மட்டும் ஸ்பெஷலாக இந்த நிகழ்ச்சியை லைவ் செய்திருந்ததாம் ஜெயா.டி.வி நிர்வாகம்.

விவேக், விஜய் ஆன்ட்டனி, தேவி ஸ்ரீ பிரசாத், தமிழக முதல்வர் ஜெ(?) :ty:

San_K
30th December 2011, 01:08 AM
Seems like CM is an IR fan :)

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
30th December 2011, 01:47 AM
Jaya TV pona murai 2005 la pannappavum ithe maathiri paathathaaga news vanthuchi. appo 'gumbal' aa sernthu paathirppaanga. ippo thaniya paathu iruppaanga. Friendship song Kaattukkuyilu kekkumbothu light aa mercelaagi iruppaanga :yessir:

V_S
30th December 2011, 06:00 AM
Sureshji,
Thanks a lot for writing a detail review of the programme. :clap: So very kind of you for remembering us during the show, can't thank you enough for this. :notworthy:. My sincere appreciation and thanks. Yes every song is our favorite and nice selection of songs, including some rare and uncommon songs for the show. Definitely felt like sitting among you all and enjoyed this scintillating show. Waiting for the telecast.

Thanks Vel, Narayanan and everyone for writing in detail about the show and making us forget that we are not left alone.

skr
30th December 2011, 08:30 AM
V_S , App and others not in India
The programme is being telecasted in Jaya TV on the following days
14th Jan - one hour program on making, rehearsals and practise sessions
15th & 16th Jan - 2 and a half hrs telecast of all that happened in the live show.

Hope you guys get Jaya TV in the US ?

rajkumarc
30th December 2011, 08:37 AM
Wow... terrific list of songs.. thanks Vel & Suresh for posting detailed info about the show.

Thanks skr for the Jaya TV telecast info. We do get Jaya TV in the US and I will be glued on to it for sure :smile:

NormalMan
30th December 2011, 08:58 AM
So Rajini did not come eh??

venkkiram
30th December 2011, 09:54 AM
நானாக நானில்லை தாயே...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEjy8WjNDvs&feature=player_embedded#!

கச்சேரி கலை கட்டுது! எப்படா பொங்கல் திருநாள் வருமென காத்திருக்கவேண்டியதுதான்! இதெல்லாம் அதுபோன்ற நிகழ்ச்சிகளில் கூட விளம்பரங்களுக்கு மத்தியில் வீட்டு வேலைகளுக்கு மத்தியில் மனதொன்றி பார்க்கமுடியுமா எனத் தெரியவில்லை. தரத்துடன் பதிவு செய்த hd வீடியோக்களில் முழுக் கச்சேரியும் வெளிவந்தால் எப்போதெல்லாம் பார்க்கனும்னு தோணுதோ அப்போதெல்லாம் வாழ்நாள் முழுக்க பார்த்து இன்புறவேண்டியதுதான்!

Sureshs65
30th December 2011, 09:55 AM
app, V_S,

I really do wish you guys were in the stadium. The live experience is something else altogether. The problem with the TV telecast is that you do not have the support and the enthusiasm of the crowd to overlook all the glitches. You go with the flow and the energy. Devoid of these, the TV program may highlight the deficiencies more. But it would still be worthwhile to watch it on TV because the orchestra was mostly blemishless.

raajarasigan
30th December 2011, 11:03 AM
Naarayanan, Sureshji - kaalai kaattunga :notworthy:

whoever attended, you guys are blessed now...

app_engine
30th December 2011, 11:05 AM
AhA, Sureshji ! Nice summary of the program!

:thankyou: for keeping us in mind amidst the celebrations!

baroque
30th December 2011, 11:36 AM
S.P.B Rules forever!

Bala, San Jose vaango seekiramaa!:musicsmile:

We love you!

Vinatha.

Plum
30th December 2011, 01:42 PM
Suresh/narayanan - thanks for the account. Whips up interest now! But I'd still have liked some replacements for Kaasi and co. I mean, Kaadhal oviyam was a poor, blind singer as well. So? I can't accept Kaasi as an IR standard album no matter what paint we give. And while 70s choice is good, I still wish we could have heard unakena thaane inneramaa, En gaanam etc. Introduce these not so popular stuff no? Do they deserve to die with us the rare few who still preserve memory of those? 33 songs and can't you sneak in one of those?

raagas
30th December 2011, 02:57 PM
What bothers me is the selection of songs. ofcouse, 95% of them are my favourites, but I'd prefer more songs from, say post 2000 period. It would atleast make people go back and dig those songs. those set of tried and tested numbers can be given a miss. Pithamagan song or Sundari (Dalapathi) or even Gumsum (paa) are the songs/tunes that have been performed number of times before. Instead, why not a Pallaviye saranam (carnatic kind) or recent gems! songs from nandalala or naan kadavul... etc.

but anyway, they still included a good number of wonderful songs! Pch! missed it :-(

naarayanan
30th December 2011, 05:08 PM
http://www.thehindu.com/arts/music/article2758005.ece

Epithets about his music acumen are redundant. Connoisseurs, the world over, treasure the compositions of this wizard from Pannaipuram. Yet Ilaiyaraja bowed down before the audience and touched the stage in supplication. The act of humility was worthy of emulation. His joy on sharing the proscenium with inimitable achievers of the calibre of Balamuralikrishna who came up to sing the ever-fresh ‘Chinna Kannan Azhaikkiraan …’ that evening at the Nehru Indoor Stadium was genuine. Singing, conducting the orchestra along with Purushothaman and indulging in friendly banter with the effervescent emcee of the evening, Prakash Raj, it was a Raja show all the way. And like in the good old days, it was a full-fledged orchestra that dazzled on stage.

The presence of musicians from Budapest, who had come down to dedicate a couple of their compositions to Ilaiyaraja was a reiteration of the renown of this magician with the baton!

“You are all seated while I stand before you. And like me, my music will also ‘stand’ in your hearts forever,” began Ilaiyaraja. “But now shall I sit down and present this song?” ‘Janani Janani …’ his melodious Kalyani creation, followed.

Raja’s compositions about the greatness of a mother’s love are most cherished. When Jesudas entered, it was only natural he would open with ‘Amma Endrazhaikkadha …’ in Kalyani again. He did. SPB, for his part, came up with a very expressive ‘Naanaaga Naanillai Thaayae’ to round off the sentiment in scintillating fashion. The eyes of many in the audience had turned moist. “I lost my mother recently,” said the person beside me, as he wiped away his tears.

“The mother singing for her baby is a norm. But Ilaiyaraja’s lullabies were for the mother herself,” Prakash noted. “His songs make you forget your sorrow and help you unwind,” he added. Kamal Haasan’s thoughts were similar. Though not present in person, his bytes that were beamed on screen said enough about his admiration for Raja.

Some of Prakash’s posers resulted in ecstatic music sojourns. “Tell us about symphony,” he requested. “This is a show for cinema numbers. Are you sure you want it,” Ilaiyaraja queried back. “I’m a rustic and you are asking me such things,” he chuckled. And the next moment the imposing string section offered an aural fiesta – a Schubert piece that culminated in Raja’s own ‘Idhayam Pogudhae’! Amidst deafening applause he explained, “If you are made to listen to the verses of four lyricists at the same time, can you appreciate it? But listen to this once again,” he suggested and made his violins alone play, and then the cello and others. “The beauty of the blend, when played together, is immeasurable. Simply put, this is symphony. Schubert composed the piece in the first part of the 1800s. I was so inspired by it that I created ‘Idhayam Pogudhae,’ but it is original,” he explained. The initiated in the crowd sat rapt in attention.

The combo of director Mahendran and Ilaiyaraja has resulted in some wondrous music. “But the

‘Paruvamae …’ duet with its montages that had the lead pair on a jog is intriguing Sir! The visual and aural effect it had on us was tremendous,” began Prakash.

When Mahendran told Raja that the pair would keep running as the song was played in the background, the composer decided that the sound of footsteps would form the beat for the entire song. “I made a person stomp his feet standing stationary before the mike. It was an ear sore. I tried all kinds of sounds but nothing worked. So I had two of my musicians – Kanniah, my tabla player, [he couldn’t make it to the show because of his delicate health] and Jayacha, who is here, to tap their thighs with both their hands, because the soles of two pairs of legs had to be heard,” laughed Raja.” And soon came the mellifluous song in the voices of Chitra and SPB.

Dedicating ‘1000 Thamarai Mottukalae,’ to the memory of Malaysia Vasudevan, Raja dwelt on his experience working with Kannadasan, who had penned the lines. It turned out to be a veritable exercise in hilarity.

“This is one of my favourites,” announced Jesudas, as he sang, ‘Poove Sempoovae.’ The minor misses and gaffes weren’t glossed over. The verses were sung again. As Jesudas mentioned, it was as though the audience got an opportunity to witness a recording session in progress!

The singers were many. And each did well. The crowd whistled in joy, but he gently ticked them off saying that catcalls ought to be reserved for shows where jigs and jokes dominate. “Not here, we have worked hard to offer you an appealing fare. We made around 10 lists before we zeroed in on the final pick,” he smiled.

The hero of the evening handled his music and his mass base with ease.

naarayanan
30th December 2011, 05:09 PM
i also felt that repetition of songs like ilangathu, sundari was not at all necessary. could have included some more classics like manidha manidha or ramanin mohaam since kjy was there.

naarayanan
30th December 2011, 05:18 PM
Endrendrum Raaja -- Jaya TV -- Part II
by Vels Mp on Friday, December 30, 2011 at 2:46pm

16) Edho Mogam - Kozhi Koovudhu - surprising only around 40% of the audience recognized the song when the first 30 seconds of the strings prelude was playing ! Then the applause was thundering & complete when the actual tune is played after 30 seconds or so. Karthik sang it effortlessly. I think apart from the strings magic, the chorus harmony work was outstanding…the harmony guys did fantastic backing ! Ageless song performed to full satisfaction ! ....another paisa vasool performance (#endrendrum raaja chronicle)

17) Madai Thirandhu - Nizhalgal – a balu thunder all the way….all the lines where the maestro is referred to (e.g. pudhu ragam padaipadhaale nanum iravane, OR isaikena irunkindra rasigargal etc), Balu threw a knowing glance appreciatively to Raaja and also the audience cheered out aloud….the second interlude harmonium bit was not accurately reproduced – may be because the original sound was by Raaja himself playing on his best friend – his harmonium ! Tough to reproduce …Overall this was SPB extravaganza all the way !! ………(#endrendrum raaja chronicle)

18) Oru Raagam Paadalodu - Anandha Ragam – a gem of a selection – caught me by surprise that someone thought of including this rarely played number. KJY took us all to heaven with that blessed divine voice of his! (#endrendrum raaja chronicle)

19) Sundari Neeyum - Michael Madhana Kamarajan - grapevine has it that Kamal was supposed to sing this one along with two other numbers (ninaivo oru paravai and raja kaiyya vacha). Anyways, Haricharan did not disappoint. …a regular performance! I would have rather had them perform “vachalum vakkaama ponaalum” instead of this song….that would have been a feast ! ………(#endrendrum raaja chronicle)

20) Naan Thedum Sevvanthi - Dharma Pathini – Given the heavy heavy expectations that the audience always has on the prelude alaap that Raaja sings, one could see some traces of restlessness on Raaja’s face as he settled down to start the song….it was a cakewalk as usual for him and as usual audience wanted “once more”…this time they didn’t get a repeatu ! ………(#endrendrum raaja chronicle)

21) Gum Sum Gum - Paa – the hungary troupe came into play for this one…..Bhava sang this song and she managed to sail through the high pitched portions with some effort. The chorus too could have been more pronounced and accentuated. Could have been much better than what it was. ………(#endrendrum raaja chronicle)

22) Aayiram Thamarai - Alaigal Oyvathillai – first time this was played, the mirudhangam sound in the prelude was not audible at all….then it as played again….though technically the mirudhangam notes were reproduced as per the original, the recreated sound was not the same as the original. It was sounding a bit different. Anyways, the song made splendid connection with the audience who were clapping along happily. Youthful SPB !! Racing strings portions !! The hungary
orchestra guys were perplexed at the complicated soundscape that this song has ! Paarthukongada, idhu dhaan enga Raaja ! ………(#endrendrum raaja chronicle)

23) Poongathave - Nizhalgal – God knows why don’t composers use Uma Raman’s voice anymore. The golden pair from the original Deepan chaks and Uma sang this song superbly. Deepan especially sang it effortlessly. Perfect work by the orchestra. ………(#endrendrum raaja chronicle)

24) Sundari Kannal - Thalapathy – magnum opus. We already know this will be a clear winner and it was. Grand to listen this one being performed live. ………(#endrendrum raaja chronicle)

25) Ilangaathu Veesudhey – Pithamagan – Sriram parthasarathy at some places forgot that this is supposed to be light music. I think Raaja corrected him quickly during the interludes by telling in his ears not go too carnatic’ish and to keep it plain. Nice open throated singing anyways ! ………(#endrendrum raaja chronicle)

26) En Mana Vaanil - Kaasi – while Hariharan sang the song, Raaja maimed in action throughout the lyrics. For the line ‘manamullor ennai paarpaar, manadhinal avarai parpen’ he pointed to the audience. The lyrics match Raaja so perfectly describing his rightful place (maaligai vaasam) he deserves and what he actually got (mara nizhal nesam) ………(#endrendrum raaja chronicle)

27) Raja Kaiya Vacha - Aboorva Sagotharargal and 28) Ninaivo Oru Paravai - Sigappu Rojakkal – both sung by Yuwan. When Prakash asked what he could emulate from his father, he said he learnt about dedication from his father. BTW whose lousy idea was it to make him mimic like Kamal …thevaiya idhu? Usually Raaja pulls Yuvan’s legs on all shows, but he was merely watching his son adoringly like any proud father ! ………(#endrendrum raaja chronicle)

29) Idhu Oru Nila Kaalam - Tik Tik Tik – Harmony people outstanding ! Who is that fattie who sung the ‘nagirdhana thiranana’? he got special applause from the audience. Reeta made full use of the opportunity she got and she sung this one beautifully with lot of feel. ………(#endrendrum raaja chronicle)

30) Vacha Paarvai Theerathadi - Ilamai Kolam – Prakash raj introduced this song as a kuthu song. More than kuthu song, I would have personally wanted more folk numbers in this program. Folk genre was totally underrepresented in this concert playlist! Ok anyway, nice energetic performance by KJY ! ………(#endrendrum raaja chronicle)

31) Kaattukuyil - Thalapathy – this was not just a performance. It was a phenomenon. SPB+KJY+Raaja as well joining towards the end. The percussions boomed thundersouly ! The emotional bonding between the three legends came to the fore. Spell binding performance for the class as well as the mass. ………(#endrendrum raaja chronicle)

32) Kannan Oru – Bhadrakali – interesting to note that this was originally composed for a drama troupe and was a song meant for lord muruga! Raaja sang those original lines much to the delight of the audience. Few interesting tidbits were discussd…It seems while recording this song, the orchestra made plenty of mistakes and also KJY recalled distributing sweets to all as it was Gokulashtami that day…………(#endrendrum raaja chronicle)

33) Ilamai Idho Idho - Sakalakala Vallavan (last song to end the event) ………there wont be another SPB….there wont be another Raaja…..you dont get to see such a powerful orchestra ensemble...nothing more to say on this song and the performance ! One cannot imagine any other song to be a fitting finish, as the year 2011 draws to a close. Thanks to Subashree thanikachalam for making this dream show happen (#endrendrum raaja chronicle)

Idha pathi ezhudhavae kanna kattudhe....idhai practise panni perform panradhu evlo kastamda saami ! I will write on some "out of the box" performance in part III

thumburu
30th December 2011, 05:36 PM
What bothers me is the selection of songs. ofcouse, 95% of them are my favourites, but I'd prefer more songs from, say post 2000 period. It would atleast make people go back and dig those songs. those set of tried and tested numbers can be given a miss. Pithamagan song or Sundari (Dalapathi) or even Gumsum (paa) are the songs/tunes that have been performed number of times before. Instead, why not a Pallaviye saranam (carnatic kind) or recent gems! songs from nandalala or naan kadavul... etc.

but anyway, they still included a good number of wonderful songs! Pch! missed it :-(

There were too many "amma" songs which they could have pruned. Instead of the over kill "amma endrazhaikkadha", I would prefer stuffto listen to SOME carnatic stuff FROM KJY like "Koondhalile Megham VANDHU" , "AADAL KALAIYE" OR "VEDHAM NEE" . Also needed a bit more stage time for SPB - Geetham sangeetham , iLamai ennum poonkaatru in the place of naan thedum and Gum sum. Then Ohm Shivohum instead of Elangaathu

Plum
30th December 2011, 05:57 PM
The last post by Vel vocalizes the lack I have been trying to articulate? Where is the folk musician Raja? That man who first stole my heart? Unakkena thaane? Solam vedhaikkaiyile? I think that's what I miss most in the song selection.

Plum
30th December 2011, 06:00 PM
With due respect, in other genres, you can find reasonable alternatives. For example, light classical and semi classical, if you forcibly deny me Raja, I will get very good alternative in Raveendran master. But folk, that unique tamil folk filtered through his WC knowledge - who else can give me that decoction? And a crows that celebrates a Raja minus this is a crowd I hate with vengeance :evil:

V_S
30th December 2011, 09:37 PM
Sureshji,
I agree with you. You will not get that satisfaction what you get when you see/hear it live with the crowd. :sad: At least through all your posts we are getting some percentage of your experience.

Suresh(sureshmehcnit) posted (in another thread) some wonderful clips on Balki's speech and his experience with Maestro in Paa. As he mentioned, I was only listening to that piece and the ASK title theme almost whole night with lot of tears rolling out. That gave me a tremendous feel being in the crowd and yet silence within me. Thanks a lot suresh for sharing those clips.

As Plum and Vel very rightly observed, more authentic folk songs of 70's and early 80's would have made the song list more interesting, as these compositions should not die only with us. No one can even think of replacing him in those areas, yet the show seems to have satisfied many hungry fans. Also waiting for DVD to collect these treasures.

skr, yes I subscribed to Jaya TV, eagerly waiting. Thanks for the info on the telecast dates.

V_S
30th December 2011, 10:40 PM
Deepan especially sang it effortlessly.
Deepan still has his voice and singing intact. This can be seen in jaya tv ragamalika episodes where was the judge. I got to hear some wonderful gems sung by him. I don't know why composers, especially Maestro is not using him at all. Through him we can get back that 80's nostalgia. I love his free-flowing sangathis, strict to the grammar (mood). He is a tailor made singer for Raja's composition.

buggle
30th December 2011, 11:32 PM
skr, yes I subscribed to Jaya TV, eagerly waiting. Thanks for the info on the telecast dates.

v_s, is jaya tv programmes match the program guide? i believe u have it thru Dish Network?, i did subscribe it and eagerly waiting for jan 14th

Sureshs65
30th December 2011, 11:36 PM
Plum / raagas,

While I too wish there was more folk and more of 2000s (I am ofcourse a 2000s fanatic as you know :) ) I have to say that Raja, even with 33 songs, is difficult to categorize. Personally I think Jaya TV folks did a decent balancing act between need to get in popular numbers, some older numbers and also some rare numbers. Given that it was a program attended by 10000 folks nearly, I can understand their compulsion. So I would rather go with, did they do a job of the songs? as the question. The answer is yes, from the orchestra point of view and SPB point of view. Others were almost there and some were lacking. But overall it was enjoyable.

Maybe Raja should just do one folk based program alone? Starting with 'machana paatheengala' to the metamorphosis he achieves with Virumandi.

V_S
31st December 2011, 12:15 AM
v_s, is jaya tv programmes match the program guide? i believe u have it thru Dish Network?, i did subscribe it and eagerly waiting for jan 14th
Yes buggle. I too have it subscribed through Dish Network and don't have the programme guide.

kiru
31st December 2011, 01:15 AM
The song selection seems good. You guys are too greedy to keep harping on a different list. I envy all those who attended. God..I really miss this.
Anyways, waiting eagerly to set my recorder on JayaTV as soon as it becomes certain.
(re: Hariharan - yup, he really annoys me on stage. The guy does have a good voice and singing - the tum bhi dhoom ..recent hindi song was good. Still, my reference standard is KJY, however old and imperfect his diction/singing these days is. Even in those days of very little commercialization, KJY was in an ad for Halls with his ..dheivam thantha veedu..can't beat that now).

skr
31st December 2011, 12:30 PM
A message posted by Subhashree Thanikachalam in Raja Fans Group
Raja sir's request.."please dont post amateur videos or audios from the show, the thrill of watching will be reduced and the effort of the strings will go down"
We deleted all the videos based on the request.
Also another news which will get most of you excited
Thank you so much. Really touched by your gestures. Yes we will release dvd after telecast But after two telecasts are over. Thats the sponsor agreement.

vel
31st December 2011, 03:01 PM
Maybe Raja should just do one folk based program alone? Starting with 'machana paatheengala' to the metamorphosis he achieves with Virumandi.

Exactly my wish too ....

hmm, enna panradhu? Even this concert took a 6 years gap to happen !

naarayanan
13th January 2012, 10:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyi_9oIcEjA

jan 15, 16, 17 10.30 am onwards...

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
14th January 2012, 02:42 AM
jan 15, 16, 17 10.30 am onwards...there is some confusion. The above video says its for 4 days 14 to 17. but according to jaya tv schedule, enderndrum raja starts only on 15th - http://www.jayanetwork.in/ViewSch.asp

K
14th January 2012, 06:59 AM
Endrendrum Raja : Curtain Raiser @ 21.00Hrs IST on JayaTV Tonight.

kameshratnam
15th January 2012, 08:41 AM
IlaiyarajaFans IlayarajaFans
#Ilayaraja Jayatv EndrendrumRaja14-01-12 Videos

youtu.be/odTqNycdehs

youtu.be/44ZgSsk7BRU

youtu.be/NBFPxdRjJGM

youtu.be/NGXghyEXXz

kameshratnam
15th January 2012, 08:41 AM
IlaiyarajaFans IlayarajaFans
#Ilayaraja Jayatv EndrendrumRaja14-01-12 Videos

youtu.be/odTqNycdehs

youtu.be/44ZgSsk7BRU

youtu.be/NBFPxdRjJGM

youtu.be/NGXghyEXXz

venkkiram
15th January 2012, 10:19 AM
"ஹரியுடன் நான்" பாடகர்கள் கொடுத்து வைத்தவர்கள்! சுபஸ்ரீயின் முயற்சி சிறப்பாக வந்திருக்கு!

kid-glove
15th January 2012, 12:40 PM
Less talking (so far), but more like the paruvamE bit please, between the pieces (phorEn contingent do a great piece, fully instrumental. What film? Now he's introducing 'em).

Raaja concert. Where magic happens.

krish244
15th January 2012, 12:44 PM
phorEn contingent do a great piece, fully instrumental. What film?

Thats the title music he gave for AZHAGAR SAMIYIN KUDHIRAI movie.

thanks,

Krishnan

skr
15th January 2012, 01:22 PM
Just watched the tv telecast of Endrendrum Raaja .
Absolutely speechless , this man is inhuman.

Take the word 'Atheist' out of the dictionary.
God does exist and his name is Ilaiyaraaja !!!

kid-glove
15th January 2012, 01:24 PM
Thats the title music he gave for AZHAGAR SAMIYIN KUDHIRAI movie.

thanks,

Krishnan

Ha, haven't see that film..

skr
15th January 2012, 01:25 PM
V_S ji , im eagerly awaiting your review .
Am sure the show would have bought a lot of memorable memories

kameshratnam
15th January 2012, 06:17 PM
ok here goes the videos of the todays concert

ENJOY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QbSrtWS5HU&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFew9nOqmK4&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_GQcCZZMiM&feature=youtu.be

rajaramsgi
15th January 2012, 07:34 PM
continuation of the above..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTs0K0IQoKE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maWnqftOnLM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4Ej7i4_qNU

baroque
16th January 2012, 12:54 AM
Most underrated GOD with 1000000000000000000 % guaranteed result with his music to keep your sanity intact under pressure is ILAYARAJA!:ty:

Couple of compositions, the magic seeps into your heart and soul, you will be infatuated for life and ready to fly high!:happydance:

We are blessed angels like BALA, YESUDAS, JANAKI, CHITHRA, Shri.Balamuralikrishna happened during our life time. Correct

aa Raja kku team amainjaanga! :-D

10 list dhaan pottengalaa! repeat pannaama concert pannanumnna, innumerable concerts pannalam ONLY with IR compositions. Glorious 80s Ir himself will cover theme by theme without repeating.

still repeat pannidhaan aaganum, ketta paataiye naanga kettu kittu eruppom.:-D

ஒரு ராகம் பாடலோடு காதில் கேட்டதோ.....மனதோடு ஊஞ்சலாடுதோ....

:ty:kamesh, you are very kind and caring.

rajasamsgi, you too. thanks.

Actor Prakash Raj is doing good. Nothing new, Chellam got the sparkling smile , striking good look with alavaana pechu, concentrate on the business of the show- MUSIC MUSIC MUSIC sure quietly shines.:-D

vinatha.

V_S
16th January 2012, 02:32 AM
First big thanks to Prakash Raj for presenting it beautifully, keeping it simple and pleasant unlike lengthy lectures and unpleasant gestures and shoutings. One of the best gestures of the evening came from Attila Laszlo when he dedicated his composition to 'Ilaiyaraaja with love'. Great team of Hungary musicians and great piece of music. :notworthy: The drummer as Maestro explained later, was jubilant throughout. It seems Maestro did not know him earlier, but he knew Maestro and his works.

Prakash Raj's reminiscence about how he got acquainted to Maestro's music was very good and very well explained. How his music has dissolved into every air we breathe was very well told by Prakash Raj. The video after that was truly elevating. Mann Vaasanai, Avathaaram, Johnny, Hey Ram BGMs are true classics. Got a glimpse of Panniapuram and some rare pictures of Raja. (I don't know if they were not shown live).

The music before the entry of Maestro was spellbinding. Was this piece composed for this show? The choir part was wonderful. I remember seeing that conductor in Hariyudan Naan, forgot his name now. The next few moments starting from Ramana Maharishi's pictures and Maestro humbling before the crowd, cannot forget forever. The first two songs Janani Janani and Amma Endrazhaikkaatha songs straightaway captured me and hope all the audiences.

Maestro for the first time looked more relaxed compared to his earlier shows. Last Andrum Indrum Endrum, we can see Maestro was little nervous as it was his first show to public. More than that there is another reason why he looked more relaxed which you all know. From here we can expect some great music even greater than the greater 80's. When he sings 'Shakthi peetamum nee sarva motshamum nee', someone from audience is shown to have goosebumps in her hand. That's the power of the song, how many times we listen, it will create the same impact.

Surprisingly K J Yesudas at his age, rendered the song almost flawless and gliding sangathis, except for few portions where he sang his own tune. Yesudas sir's speech was very good and thought provoking.

SPB sang his first song Naanaaga Naanillai Thaaye beautifully. The shenai by Ballesh, flute by Napolean, and sitar by Ganesh Muthu in the interlude was excellent. The hard work in every musician shows clearly. Magic recreated! The gestures between SPB and Maestro was very lively.

Tribute to Maestro's mother and wife was a very moving one.

Interesting information on Marudhani film song which got transferred to Alaigal Oiyvathillai. Chitra at her best in Putham puthu kaalai, S Janaki should be very happy to listen her song by Chitra. The best performer (so far) of the evening. Flute by Napolean, violins, cellos and guitar by Sadha sir and Sashee sir steal us like a thunder. Unimaginable composition in front of us.

Oru ragam paadalodu kaadhil kEttatho, definitely a Anandha ragam. Who is the female singer (Rita?). She sang very well with emotions intact and backup choir harmony was perfect. Funky Madai thiranthu is stunning especially for its arrangements, and they have done it here again, except the energy level from SPB sir was little less, can't blame (you have already given us so much), otherwise thoroughly enjoyed it. The backup vocals was again stunning. Vijay Adhiraj and Devi Sri Prasad was very much enjoying and can see them stand and applaud after the song is over.

Insights on Paruvame was very interesting. Rhythm by Jayachandran (Jaychan) was exceptional, the one who did the original lap-tap sound. That guy is versatile, he can play any percussion, seen in many shows, great talent. Chitra again, phenomenal. SJ should be proud of her. She is the one who has to carry/carrying SJ's baton. Evergreen and everlasting composition.

It's time Chitra picks P Susheela baton as well in Kanna Oru Kai Kuzhanthai. Brilliant stuff. Yesudas sir carried through quite well given his age. Maestro's first mohanam (?).

The most expected and exciting moment of the whole show (so far to me) is the title score from ASK. I could sense pin drop silence from the audience. The score which says and shows the world who the Maestro is. No one can ever dare to create such a piece of music, no way! That too after 35 years. If this music or SRR does not get any award, then there is no meaning for the awards. Even then, this music is enough for me more than any award or recognition. Excellently played by Attila Laszlo and this team with our musicians. Tears, tears tears all over. Great gesture by Maestro and Attila, really moved by their mutual respects. :notworthy:

The show started by songs for God, mother, lover, children and finally a song exclusively for us. Some excellent shenai, thavil and sitar playing.
When he sings "Enathu jeevan neethan endrum puthuthu' and 'Neeyum Naanum Ondruthaan engE pirivathu', I am blown away. I can see the audience rupture during these portions.

The show ended to continue for tomorrow (wait till tomorrow :sad:) with some hilarious moments with Maestro explaining funny moments about chinna kannan azhaikkiran composition.

I have never seen anything like this, greater than 'Andrum Indrum Endrum'. They have allocated more time for music rather than a praise concert which is more encouraging. I can see how much hard work has gone into this show having watched the precursor also. Right from every musicians Sada sir, Sashee sir, Puru sir, Prabhakaran sir, Napolean, Cello Shekar, Ballesh, Jayachandran with Attila Laszlo's Hungary team and whole team of violinist, percussionists and everyone all deserve a big big round of applause. Organizing committee too deserve a big salute of having carrying out an unimaginable task possible. Once in a life time show, only unfortunate thing is I missed watching it live. :sad:

As the presenter in the precursor rightly commented, 'No gimmicks and fooling the audience, Everything about Raaja's music is Real, and everything about Raja is True'. :notworthy:

Thanks skr for eagerly waiting for my views, I really appreciate it.

Bala (Karthik)
16th January 2012, 02:48 AM
:ty: rajaramsgi

Better than the 2005 concert, perhaps

Take away moment - Vivek's expression and gesture towards the end of Idhayam Oru Koyil. Priceless (and the goosebumps lady)

baroque
16th January 2012, 04:23 AM
wonderful program, indeed! Can't wait to buy & own the DVD! It is a treasure.

Chithra chechi is fantastic.:thumbsup:

Bala always shines.

All instrumentalists, technicians :thumbsup:

All those 80s IR's team musicians, instrumentalists came / not come here today's programs, our heart felt THANKS to you. Your music with IR empower us and enhance our life.:ty:

Enjoyed every Yesudas moments, yeah.... the girl sang oru raagam paadalodu.... with Shri.KJY did beautiful. Special thanks to her.

இதயம் ஒரு கோயில் உதயம் ஒரு பாடல்...... moving every time we listen. Today is no exception.

Like S.P.B told, Raja should do more live programs all over the world.

Pure Gold indeed!

kamesh & rajaramsgi,

THANKS

vinatha.

venkkiram
16th January 2012, 06:59 AM
:ty: rajaramsgi

Better than the 2005 concert, perhaps

Take away moment - Vivek's expression and gesture towards the end of Idhayam Oru Koyil. Priceless (and the goosebumps lady)

சரியா சொன்னிங்க பாலா.

நன்றி kamesh & rajaramsgi!! காணொளிகளை சுடச் சுட பரிமாறியதற்கு நன்றி.

சுபஸ்ரீயின் தீவிரத்தால் பல இடங்களில் துதி கொஞ்சம் தூக்கலாகவே இருந்தாலும், போன நிகழ்ச்சியில் கமல் சொல்லிவிட்டு சென்றதுபோல "இந்த புகழ் பத்தவே பத்தாது!" என்ற வார்த்தைகளின் அர்த்தமும் விளங்குகிறது.

இனி ஆறுவருட இடைவெளி இருக்கக் கூடாது. ஐபில் போல ஒவ்வொரு வருடமும் அல்லது குறைந்தது இருவருடங்களில் ஒரு முறை தமிழ் நாட்டில் நடக்கணும். சென்னை அல்லாது மற்ற மாநகரங்களில் நிகழணும். கோவை, மதுரை, திருச்சி.. மற்ற தென்னிந்திய மாநிலங்களிலும் நிகழணும். மொத்தத்தில் தென்னிந்தியாவே இசை மழையில் அடிக்கடி நனையனும்.

புத்தம் புது காலை - ஜானகியின் வெற்றிடம் அப்பட்டமாக தெரிகிறது. சித்ராவை விட ரீடா போன்ற கொஞ்சம் குரல் அடர்த்தியானவைகளை முயற்சித்திருக்கலாம். இன்னொரு புறத்தில் இன்னும் பாலு, யேசுதாஸ் பாடும் நிலைமையில் இருக்கிறார்கள் என்பதே பெரும் பொக்கிஷம். மலேஷியாவும் உயிரோடு இருந்து பாடும் நிலையில் இருந்திருந்தால் இன்னும் அழகு சேர்த்திருக்கும்.

புத்தம் புது காலை, ஒரு ராகம் பாடலோடு, நானாக நானில்லை தாயே, கண்ணன் ஒரு கைக்குழந்தை, பருவமே போன்றவைகளை தேர்வு செய்ததில் பங்களித்த எல்லா மனிதர்களுக்கும் நன்றி.

சில இடங்களில் வந்துபோகிற இசைக் குறிப்புக்கள் புதியனவாக இருக்கிறது. அருமை.

ஜனனி ஜனனி பாடல் பாடும்போது ஆர்மோனியப் பெட்டியுடன் ராஜாவை மட்டும் அருகில் குவியப்படுத்தும் கேமிராக் கோணம் இனி பல காலங்களுக்கு என் மனதில் பதிந்திருக்கும். கருப்பான பின்பகுதியில் வால் நட்சத்திரமாக ஜொலிக்கிறார் இசை ராஜா! அதற்காகவே அரங்கத்தின் அந்தப்பகுதியை இருட்டாக (கருப்பு நிற) வைத்திருப்பது கைகொடுத்திருக்கிறது.

தொகுத்துவழங்கிய பிரகாஷ் ராஜுக்கு பாராட்டுக்கள். ரத்தினச் சுருக்கமாக பேசுகிறார்.

Nerd
16th January 2012, 08:51 AM
I for one was not missing Janaki at all in PPK. Chitra's *sincere* singing was a delight to watch. SPB was superb too (a little tired at places) especially in paruvamE and Dasettan was OK(he dint sound good in oru raagam paadalOdu). Raja sir was fantastic with Janani/Idhayam oru kOvil. I was in tears on both occasions.

Great choice of songs and BGMs :clap: and a special :clap: to Prakash Raj. Looking forward to the other episodes.

P.S. The Hariyudan naan folks sounded pretty good. Would have been a huge moment in their lives. Singing in front of the God himself. Interesting reaction from Raja while listening to them :-)

Bala (Karthik)
16th January 2012, 09:16 AM
(Walther) PPK ellaam only Janaki fossible aache. Aana, yes, present day Janaki amma kashtam...

Probably insane and blasphemous but "Paruvame" la Thala SPB-e feel thulyama kondu varla (as Nerd mentioned, he sounded tired). Anyway, these are just mere nitpicks. Can't wait for the next set

wizzy
16th January 2012, 10:11 AM
can't fathom Jaya tv's decision to change the order of the songs..eagerly awaiting the idhayam poguthey/poovae senpoove

AravindMano
16th January 2012, 10:15 AM
The Hariyudan Naan folks sing very well. Their renditions during the press meet was excellent.

The two people who most impressed me were the ones back to stage after personal tragedies.

Raja is supremely confident in both the songs, குரல்ல அத்தனை தெளிவு. The most amazing thing is how he *knows* the respect and affection he commands. avLo periya koottAm, so many technicians and the way he controls the show, terrific. Couldn't think of any other artist who would sit with a harmonium for the first song in front of such a huge audience. அசால்ட்டு! Neither will there be an artist like this, nor would he get an audience like them.

Chithra is the singer of this show so far. Perfection thy name is her. And both the songs are not hers!

Lovely choices of songs so far.

அங்கங்க, பாட்டு வைத்தியன், நாட்டு வைத்தியன் kinda of praises grabbed my attention.

During the 2005 concert, for Janani Janani, a woman apparently from a different religion cried. That would remain as the single most defining moment in any Raja concerts for me. இதுல இன்னும் அப்படி எதுவும் வரல :)

AravindMano
16th January 2012, 10:17 AM
P.S. The Hariyudan naan folks sounded pretty good. Would have been a huge moment in their lives. Singing in front of the God himself. Interesting reaction from Raja while listening to them :-)

adhE adhE.

Sureshs65
16th January 2012, 10:26 AM
The girl who sang 'oru raagam paadalodu' was Surmukhi. Never heard of her or seen her before this program. While the program was on her name was announced but couldn't catch it. Some young folks sitting in front of us told us her name. She has started singing in Raja's music now. She is part of the 'oru aramane' song in 'Prasad'. She did a very nice job in 'nee partha paarvai'.

V_S
16th January 2012, 10:26 AM
Yes, everyone did well. Especially Karthik impressed me with Vaana Mazhai PolE, excellent rendering, so difficult song to sing with lot of ups and downs and deep sangathis. If you slip anywhere, it will become abhaswaram. Well done!

venkkiram
16th January 2012, 10:52 AM
eagerly awaiting the idhayam poguthey/poovae senpooveஇதயம் போகுதே பாடல் இசையமைக்கப் பட்டது எனத் தெரியவந்தவுடன் கேட்டு ரொம்ப வருடங்கள் ஆகிப்போன அந்தப் பாடலை கேட்க ஆரம்பித்தேன். தொடர்ந்து கேட்டுக்கொண்டே இருக்கிறேன். ஜென்ஸி! சும்மா சொல்லக் கூடாது. அப்போதைய காலக் கட்டங்களில் வந்த எல்லா பெண் பாடகிகளும் சோக ரசத்தை சிறந்த முறையில் வெளிப்படுத்தி பாடியிருக்கிறார்கள். ஜென்சியின் குரலில் காணப்படும் ஏக்கம் வார்த்தையில் வருணிக்க முடியாது. அவரது உச்சரிப்புப் பிழைகளைத் தாண்டியும் அந்தக் குரல் நம் காதுகளுக்கு எப்படி சென்றடையும் என்றால் பிரபஞ்ச வெளியில் திசைமாறிப்போன ஒரு தேவதையின் குரல் தூரத்திலிருந்து நம்மை நோக்கி பாடிவருவது போல.. இன்றும் அந்த வெளியில் சஞ்சரித்துக்கொண்டே.. (ஒரு பெண்ணின் குரல் என்பதே நமக்கு மறந்துபோய் விடும்).. இயற்கை அளித்த கொடை ஜென்சியின் குரல்..

Bala (Karthik)
16th January 2012, 10:55 AM
The Anjali title score in one of the clippings - <expletive> Idhukku mela oru script-ku, director-ku, rasiganukku apt-a oru score eppadi kudukka muidyum?

P_R
16th January 2012, 11:02 AM
The Anjali title score in one of the clippings
enga irukku?
idhayam oru kOvil varaikkin dhaanE ufload paNNi irukkaanga.

btw I am skiffing the songs to listen to the anecdotes :oops:

Bala (Karthik)
16th January 2012, 11:15 AM
enga irukku?
idhayam oru kOvil varaikkin dhaanE ufload paNNi irukkaanga.

btw I am skiffing the songs to listen to the anecdotes :oops:
Perform pannadhula illa, general audio visual clip

Go straight to 11:48 in this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QbSrtWS5HU&feature=player_embedded

venkkiram
16th January 2012, 11:19 AM
மூன்று தமிழ்க் காவியமும்
முருகனுக்கு தொட்டிலடி
முத்தமிழின் சங்கமமும்
முருகனுக்கு கட்டிலடி

அருமை அருமை! ( முருகன் எப்பவும் ஆண்டிதான் போல :) ராஜா இதைப் பகிரவில்லையென்றால் நமக்குத் தெரியபோவதில்லை. முருகன் கண்ணனாக மாறியவுடன் எத்தனை மக்கள் இன்னமும் ரசித்துக்கொண்டு இருக்கிறார்கள் பாருங்கள்! )

jaiganes
16th January 2012, 12:03 PM
Fell down from chair laughing at Raaja's anecdote on kavignar .
Particularly 'that ' ashtray and cigarette comment...
joke apart - he clinched the deal in favour of kavignar when he said "Naan notes ezudhara maadhiri kavignar
paattu ezudhuvaar" - genius apdeengara much abused wordukku inimel idhu dhaan right definition.
His reference to shubert's awesome piece - coincidentally in my new place they have a station beaming
classical music 24 hours - most lauded, sought after violin pieces are upto 60% by shubert and one of his pieces almost
made me stop the car in the side and listen... joys of listening to music... vaarthaigal thoarkum arpudha anubhavam....

Plum
16th January 2012, 12:20 PM
Oru chinna :collar_lift: - IR is the Kannadasan of his era apdinnu indha forumla munnAdiyE padhivu senjuttEnnu perumaiyOdu sollikkoLgiREn. Couple of important points on IR and his personality came out - the body language in BMK's presence - oh ye detractors of his arrogance, know ye that to earn his respect, you need to be of the calibre of Balamuralikrishna. This is actually an aspect of his character that I have highlighted and celebrated in a PM to Littlemaster. Nammalaala mudiyumA? Avaraala mudiyin - EnnA THAT is the degree of his genius. Only the truly blessed and super-talented can and will have that discriminatory faculty - no fake praises will emanate from that mouth. Andha levelukku talent illAdha namma and maRRa sagOdharagaL at our level dhaan politeness-ku kodi pidippOm(and don't be astounded that I am saying it - indha forumla dhaan namma arrogance ellAm. Real life-la mudiyumA?)

krish244
16th January 2012, 12:23 PM
Kamesh & Rajaram,

Thanks much for the videos. No words to describe the program. I dont remember when i heard the song "Oru raagam" before, but an amazing song. Ulagathula irundha ella pull'um serndhu aricha pola irundhudhu...andha 2nd interlude'a kekkum bodhu!

So many highlights...Will write more later...

thanks,

Krishnan

Plum
16th January 2012, 12:31 PM
The second point is about Kavignar - the amazement he expressed at Kavignar's spontaneity. True to his constant emphasis on the need for spontaneity in his music making process. It is that aspect that appeals to him - ofcourse, what I mean is the ability to produce Quality output spontaneously. If you go by the defn of genius as "99 percent perspiration", then there are a lot of geniuses in the world. If you restrict it to ability to produce magic spontaneously, consistently, then that number reduces significantly.

app_engine
16th January 2012, 12:31 PM
What we post day-in-day-out in the hub has been told by Prakash Raj :-) :thumbsup:

I'm in Anandha sAgaram :thank you:

wizzy
16th January 2012, 12:34 PM
Plum, one word Vidya Garvam.. without which his anecdote on Kannadasan would have sounded blasphemous..

KV
16th January 2012, 12:46 PM
V_Sji, awesome writeup :clap:

I couldn't catch the progam on TV and haven't seen the videos yet. Some quick pointers on couple of incidents in the concert:
When the orchestra started performing Schubert's piece, one could instantly guess that it wasn't a piece by IR and that it was some European master's composition. The amount of rigorous practice and experience of the orchestra playing under IR all these years was visible as they nailed the piece brilliantly. Not sure how many orchestras (that too from the film industry) can pull off something like this. But the magical moment happened after that. IR started to sing Idhayam pogudhe as the orchestra continued playing in the background and for a second I was wondering if the symphonic piece was his own creation. The tune, a trademark IR pathos song, blended so naturally with the symphony, note by note, phrase by phrase. This was no mere 'fusion', but rather something that we've come to associate with IR - multi-threaded weaving, fusion at an atomic level. Recall Kamal's note on IR about Higgs Boson and splitting the nucleus of musical notes. Try listening to the symphony piece alone (a bloody scintillating one) and then Idhayam pogudhe separately and then listen to this piece from the concert. This is Kamal's point demonstrated live. For a layman like me, it's difficult to even associate Idhayam pogudhe with the symphony. I frankly saw no major connection. But for someone like Raaja, he probably saw the song in the symphony and just 'plucked' it out from it. And when this was demonstrated live, it was magical! : Pat thighs: :chest thumping: Raaja da! :bow:

Another interesting moment was the 2-note song. This was meant to be a gimmick, of course, a dash of pomp and glamour, a thorough vanity fair. I'm guessing that this wasn't Raaja's idea and that he was usuppEthified to do something of this sort. The 3-note song was great fun, an awesome tune emerged from it. This time around, I was pretty convinced that it would be purely gimmicky with just 2 notes. But Raaja proved me wrong. There was something more to it than just the pomp. The thought process behind the 'musical cheating', that he has spoken about before, could be seen here. He played the tune, a simple, catchy one (what else can one expect with 2 notes) and asked the chorus to sing it. He then directed the keyboardist to play two chords as the backing rhythm. The piece sounded more interesting. Asking the singers to repeat the singing, he then gave two different chords to the keyboardist and asked him to do a chord change at a certain place. And there was the effect! The same tune, but two different set of chords and the sound was different! Musical 'honesty' in gimmickry! :clap:

Raaja :bow: Subashree :bow:

kameshratnam
16th January 2012, 02:30 PM
CONCERT VIDEOS TELECASTED TODAY 16.1.2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGw6wE7fPjg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqSXGpS0jO8
http://youtu.be/zGtybUctpos
http://youtu.be/ANDgYUCd-o8
http://youtu.be/qYP842sdWwU
http://youtu.be/3TcICJct5Lk
http://youtu.be/XS_KybrhaUI
http://youtu.be/jO64fIl5bSc

Sureshs65
16th January 2012, 02:36 PM
This is what I wrote on twitter on this program: "Like great mathematicians who see patterns where none seems to exists, Raja sees 'idhayam pogudhe' in the Shubert's Symphony"
"It is a testimony to the greatness of tune and orchestration of 'Raja Kaiyavacha' that it can withstand the mangling by Yuvan"

Bala (Karthik)
16th January 2012, 02:44 PM
"It is a testimony to the greatness of tune and orchestration of 'Raja Kaiyavacha' that it can withstand the mangling by Yuvan"
:rotfl:

kameshratnam
16th January 2012, 08:36 PM
Hello Jai Hind songs

Thanks to dhinakar rajaram for the links..check the left hand side corner

http://www.hellojaihind.com/videos.html

venkkiram
16th January 2012, 09:32 PM
சின்னக் கண்ணன் இரண்டாம் பாகத்தில் வரவில்லையா? அதற்கான காணொளியை இன்னும் காணோமே? இரு மேதைகளின் சங்கமத்தை ரொம்ப எதிர்பார்த்து இருக்கிறேன்.

kameshratnam
16th January 2012, 10:57 PM
What we post day-in-day-out in the hub has been told by Prakash Raj :-) :thumbsup:

I'm in Anandha sAgaram :thank you:

Can you please elaborate? i dont understand

kameshratnam
16th January 2012, 11:04 PM
In the concert Raaja said Karthik raja and I learn Jazz from from Atila.....A person who is nearing 70 years and is recognised as one of the best composers and musicians in the history of music...Will any one dare to say this in public

Raaja sharanam sharanam

app_engine
16th January 2012, 11:05 PM
Nothing sir, the kOlAmbi speaker / teakkadai / function / bus-cast, in short "the rAsA effect" on TN :-)

(I am among the many who keep talking about this in the hub and Prakash Raj opens the show with that as a personal comment)...

baroque
16th January 2012, 11:08 PM
Great....Kamesh brought the next set of videos for us.:ty:

mmm...Raja, What is so great about Kaannadasan's AYIRAM MALARGALEY.....varigal ? :roll:.

pardon my ignorance, to this day, I never seen the movie , I don't know the situation or story.

Varigal enna sollaradhu?

This particular composition when I grew up, it is female vocalist prelude humming followed by the wonderful music, long drawn tune in enchanting Vasu's vocals caught our attention to stop at the palace ground to enjoy the raja paadal.

paadal varigalukkaga indha particular paadalukku naangal wait pannidhu illai.

this particular song musical content followed by singing adds more value.

vinatha

jaiganes
16th January 2012, 11:09 PM
who is the singer who sang "edho moham" - she ate up KArthik for lunch and supper..
Surmukhi - is another singer to watch out for - great find these singers. God bless them.
And yes - Raaja kaiyya vechcha - the kuthu - blended into waltz into WCM majestic march - is
a huge feast to be chewed by little raaja's little singing mouth.. adhukkullaam baalungara dinosaur venum
illainna kamalngara singam venum..

kameshratnam
16th January 2012, 11:11 PM
Singer of etho mogam with karthik was Rita... her name is SUCHARITA THYAGARAJAN ...she has sung in many movies of IR

kameshratnam
16th January 2012, 11:20 PM
I am giving 2 clips here.. one is the Schuberts symphony played by an western orchestra and the other which played in the show. There is no difference at all. for those who have heard IR's orchestra playing it.. the moment the western video starts and plays.. u will sing IDHAYAM POGUDEY...
thanks to chandrasekar facebook for the western link

BRILLIANT RAAJA TEAM see from 9:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGtybUctpos&feature=youtu.be
JUST LISTEN TO THIS and I CAN PROUDLY SAY THAT IR's ORCHESTRA ARE THE BEST IN THE WORLD

WESTERN
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCpuCDNnVl8&feature=related

jaiganes
16th January 2012, 11:20 PM
another small note about raaja kaiyya vecha - second interlude andha flute_pipe sound - so local sound - adhai andha veli naatukaarar clarinetla vaasichaare - oru note, oru chinna skip-lag illaamal - andha aalukku adhukku score sheet kuduththu dhaane vaasichiruppaaru? wow. endha soundayum ippadi notate panna koodumna adhu genius dhaan..
Regarding "aayiram malargaLe" lyrics - adhu kavidhai illai - paattu and it is not a song to denote a love song between lovers - it is about the memories of love.
now if you see the movie - the song is constantly played in the sombre second half (VIjayan - remembering is once beautiful life - now immersed in tragic recollections of that) - That is why this song is not template thalaivan - thalaivi song - but a mash of the entire eco system around them - every sight and sound and smell of their memory - and what an abstract painting kavignar paints - it has everything - fragrance and tenderness of 1000 flowers, the hills and their joyous celebration of spring time beauty, the passage of the season with each one adding a layer of colour on the preceding one as the lovers gain further proximity. Indha whole mise-en-scene has been zipped and wrapped into a present by the kavignar which entirely slide into the wonderful tune and with both genius collaborating, it must have been an experience to behold on many levels..

baroque
16th January 2012, 11:26 PM
Thanks Jai for the details of the song.

varigal of this particular composition never caught our attention when I grew up or over the years listening too.

Your post interests me to watch the scene or movie now, not Kannadasan's varigal for me.:)

still the orchestration, long drawn tune and the prelude aalaap, singers enrich the song in that order, I guess for me.

vinatha.

p
16th January 2012, 11:28 PM
சின்னக் கண்ணன் இரண்டாம் பாகத்தில் வரவில்லையா? அதற்கான காணொளியை இன்னும் காணோமே? இரு மேதைகளின் சங்கமத்தை ரொம்ப எதிர்பார்த்து இருக்கிறேன்.

The 1st 2 parts of 16th are here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oGw6wE7fPjg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dqSXGpS0jO8

venkkiram
17th January 2012, 12:15 AM
The 1st 2 parts of 16th are here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oGw6wE7fPjg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dqSXGpS0jO8

நன்றி! நன்றி! நன்றி!

பாலமுரளி பாடி முடிக்கும் நேரத்தில் ராஜாவுடன் பாலுவும் கைதட்டி மகிழ்வது பார்த்து பார்த்து பரவச மூட்டச் செய்யும் நிகழ்வு.

venkkiram
17th January 2012, 12:20 AM
adhukkullaam baalungara dinosaur venum illainna kamalngara singam venum.. அந்த அளவுக்கு இல்லையென்றாலும் ஹரிச்சரண் போன்ற இளைஞர்களே பிரித்து மேய்ந்துவிடுவார்கள் என்ற நம்பிக்கை இருக்கிறது.

rajkumarc
17th January 2012, 12:41 AM
Totally spellbound by the concert in the last two days and just waiting for the last part tomorrow. Hope they release the DVD soon and make it available for everyone. The most goosebump-y moment for me so far was the symphony performance and Raaja's "Idhayam Pogudhe" towards the end of that symphony piece.

SPB & Chitra were top class and KJY's rendering of En Iniya Pon Nilaave was classic with his trademark style "Dharadha dha dha dhaa". Loved Poongathave from Deepan & Uma as well, their voices were mostly intact. Most of the new female vocalists were superb.

Overall, the performance of the orchestra stands out from everyone, their hardwork shows in their quality :notworthy:

venkkiram
17th January 2012, 04:46 AM
சித்ரா - ராஜா குரலில் இந்த வரிகள்..

ஒரு ஜீவன் அழைத்தது ஒரு ஜீவன் துடித்தது
இனி எனக்காக அழவேண்டாம் இங்கு கண்ணீரும் விழவேண்டாம்
உன்னையே எண்ணியே வாழ்கிறேன்

விவரித்து எழுதத் தேவையில்லை என நினைக்கிறேன். நான் உணர்ந்ததை மற்றவர்கள், பாடிய சித்ரா - ராஜா ஒரு கணமாவது உணர்ந்தார்களா??

venkkiram
17th January 2012, 05:26 AM
"ஆயிரம் மலர்களே மலருங்கள்" - ம.வாசுதேவன் குரலில் பாடிய இளைஞர் வெகுசிறப்பாக பாடி முடித்தார். :notworthy: நான் எதிர்பார்க்கவேயில்லை. "மலைகள் மீது ரதி உலாவும் நேரமே..." என்ற இடத்திலிருந்து தாலாட்டு பாடாமல் தாயாகுமோ..." என்ற இடம்வரை மின்சாரம் பாய்ச்சிய தருணங்கள். பிசிறில்லாமல் சிறகை அசைத்து உயர உயர பறக்கிறார். ராஜாவின் முகபாவனை ஆயிரம் அர்த்தங்களை சொல்கிறது அந்த இடத்தில்.

0.42 - 1.13
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgy9FLjTPrU&feature=related

jaiganes
17th January 2012, 05:28 AM
nice reminder - what a phrase i say - malaigal meedhu radhi ulaavum nerame!!
did he know that heroine was rathi?
even then how nicely it fits with the musical and visual landscape?

V_S
17th January 2012, 06:01 AM
Maestro's recap about Kavingar's ingenuity and spontaneity (as Plum mentioned) is a very interesting anecdote. I agree with Plum that not many geniuses fall into this category and he has every authority to issue that statement, as he is the living testimony for speed, spontaneity and quality. Definitely a goose-bump moment for me. But those singers performed shabbily, especially female singers. Male singer was ok, still I can feel how much we miss MV sir and Jency. Especially at the lines 'Rathi ulaavum nErame', thoroughly missed him. The singers just sang the words and there is absolutely no feel in it, just like some kids sing. Again who are those singers? Even the tempo was little less compared to the original one. But orchestra made up for it, extremely well.

Monumental moment of the whole concert is that excellent demonstration of Schubert's symphony and how he extracted Idhayam POguthe out of it. KV you explained it extremely well. :thumbsup: I could not believe when all the instruments stopped, Raja sang Idhayam POguthe, I was totally mesmerized, what a moment that was! That's not all, with the same piece of music, he continued singing the song. Shashtaanga Namaskaarams! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: I would like to know from them who witnesses this live, how the audience reacted to these moments. There cannot be a better moment in any concert. Hats off to the musicians! :notworthy:

He even remembers the year and all the details when it was composed. Another demonstration to explain the symphony. What did he say 'Seeyakkai'? Why did he say that? I didn't quite get that. Those two set of instruments, violins and cellos first played separately and then together and Maestro cleverly explains it short and sweet. That's the authority we are talking about. It is sad all these precious treasures are not grasped by the current and upcoming music directors (even his kids), still they want to make quick money compromising very much on the quality. There is no one to carry his legacy! What a shame!

Another goosebump moments from Saagara Sangamam BGM.

If you have a monumental moment, there has to be a horrible moment following it. That's the female singer in Etho MOgham. Sothappified to the core by the female singer with all sorts of Abhaswarams. How can she sing like that, Naarasam to ears. Completey no feel. Missed Shreya Ghoshal very much. Every time orchestra has to come to rescue. Karthik did a good job, still at lower octaves, he could not register properly could see struggling.

Ilaiyaraajaa'vukku Ilaiyaraaja'vaa? Good one! Good try by Yuvan on Raja Kaiyya Vechcha, still he has abhaswarams most of the time when he sings! Magic re-created by orchestra again! The incident he explained was thoroughly touching!

Another masterpiece in Sindhu Bhairavi!

Poongathave was too good. Starting veena by Punya Srinivas Devi was excellent. Again tempo was little slow. Uma Ramanan sang little sadly, don't know why. Deepan was cool, no complaints. Napolean (flute) stole the song with able support from violins, nadhaswaram and Thavil. Solo violin by Mr. Prabhakar is another highlight of the song.

Oru Jeevan, Chitra ji again, what to tell, no mistakes, perfect 10. What a sincere singer she is! Thorough to her profession and art! Young female singers should learn from her, they were very careless today (except Surmuki, thanks Suresh ji for letting me know the singer's name. :smile:).

Nadhaswaram piece and violin piece from Rudraveena, haunting piece of music!

It was surprising that the same females when singing choir were singing perfectly, but when they come to sing a solo or a duet, they were clueless. In Aayiram Thaamarai mottukkale, Surmuki was fantastic. Starting mridangam by Jaychan was exemplary. SPB sir was quite good, but as Nerd expressed, we can feel the tiredness in him.

Ilangaathu Veesuthe was good, who is the female singer again? She was quite good. I expected Sriram would sing still better as it was his own song.

Pazhassi raja, a marvel in new age!

Vizhiyile malarnthathu, SPB sir brought Rajini sir in front of me. Somehow I am not happy to see him struggling. Could not believe same SPB in SRR was exceptional and outstanding. K J Yesudas sir in En iniya Pon Nilaave. I believe this is the song, where KJY faltered at the start, right?. We didn't get to see it. Starting guitar by Sashee sir was so perfect. How casually he plays guitar as if it is a toy. Great! Choir was again perfect in backing up.

Greatest moment of this episode is the demonstration of Franz Schubert's piece and symphony, followed by Kavignar's anecdote.

Sorry for all the nitpicks, but it didn't take away an inch of enjoyment.

According to my opinion, today's honors for the best performer goes to the entire orchestra, they did some outstanding performance. The way they played Schubert's symphony piece cannot be described by words. Proud to see such a huge talent! Their other performances were also perfect and way better than the earlier 2005 concert, where we could hear at many places they could not re-create the magic, but here the hardwork and preparation shows and they were absolutely perfect in nailing down to recreate all the magic! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: Followed by Chitra ji's Oru jeevan Azhaithathu.

Looking forward to tomorrow's final episode. :D

venkkiram
17th January 2012, 06:39 AM
திரு v.s,

"சின்னக் கண்ணன் அழைக்கிறான்" பாடலைப் பற்றிய உங்களது வார்த்தைகளுக்கு காத்திருக்கிறேன். இந்த நிகழ்ச்சியின் இதுவரையிலான முக்கியமான தருணங்கள் என்றால் அது பாலமுரளியும் ராஜாவும் மேடையை பகிர்ந்து கொண்ட இந்தப் பாடலும் அடங்கும்.

V_S
17th January 2012, 06:52 AM
Thanks venkkiram for reminding me. How did I miss this moment? Somehow I keep remembering that Chinna Kanna Azhaikkiraan was performed yesterday. Sorry for that. Yes that was another sensational moment in the concert, as Prakash Raj aptly said, that we all love Maestro, but Maestro loves you. Exactly, how true! Maestro never forgets his elders and mentors. The way he kindly requested with a sort of hesitation 'Anna medaikku vaanga', there itself show his respect. Surprisingly at over 80 years, he sang Chinna Kannan Azhaikkiran song exceptionally well. :notworthy: Still we can hear the Gambheeram in his voice with no hint of shyness/nervousness. Prakash Raj's anecdote about Dr. BMK's mutual respect to Isaignani clearly shows how much high regards he has for him. I was also taken by SPB sir humility towards Dr. BMK. Apart from the music, I think these aspects appear to be missing in today's trend having regards to their peers and mentors. Great moment and thanks again for pointing that out. :D

V_S
17th January 2012, 08:08 AM
What a big sin to have missed out the first song of today. Nee Paartha Paarvai from Hey Raam. Before coming to that interesting speech by Kamal. Even after giving hits after hits, how he gets early around 4.30 pm and goes for classes to learn. It is still continuing till today as expressed by Maestro himself. :notworthy: Nee Paartha is one composition which cannot be done by others even after 'room pOttu yosichaalum' for several weeks or months or years, it will never happen. But it happens in seconds for Maestro. Beautifully done on stage. Class piano, and excellent violins played in counterpoints, and very well sung by Hariharan, Surmukhi and Manasi (except the start was little off-key). When they sang 'Uyire... Vaa...' any heart will melt. Another great moment in the concert. I think Hariharan whispered to Maestro to play piano? Very nice to see him play piano and acknowledged by the hungarian drummer. :thumbsup:

Nerd
17th January 2012, 08:17 AM
Super post V_Sji as usual :clap:

If you have a monumental moment, there has to be a horrible moment following it. That's the female singer in Etho MOgham. Sothappified to the core by the female singer with all sorts of Abhaswarams. How can she sing like that, Naarasam to ears. Completey no feel. Missed Shreya Ghoshal very much. Every time orchestra has to come to rescue. Karthik did a good job, still at lower octaves, he could not register properly could see struggling.

+1. Horrible she was, even I could spot the abaswarams. Karthik managed quite well and the orchestra was terrific. Not sure why, the crowd did not recognize the song until 10-15 secs. Or may be its Jaya TV. And also +1 for ShreyaG. Badly sorely missed. SJ is irreplaceable for edhO mogam, sure but at least Chitra should have sung. Or ShreyaG. Wonder why she dint go. She would have sung w/o any remuneration even as we all know.

And this is the first time I am seeing SPB struggle. Actually he was quite good and has been the best male singer on the show so far, by a mile, but we have seen SPB *own* shows. I guess he would still do fine on recordings but this has been one of the biggest disappointments. Very very sad indeed.

Chitraji-delightfully sincere like yesterday. Symphony+Idhayam pOgudhE, stunning. IR was a little out of sorts in oru jeevan though. Yuvan was not as bad as I expected him to be.

And BMK saar, 80+ and the way he finished the first charanam and came back to chinna kannan azhaikkiraan - no words.

Loved the orchestra. They were superb on all the songs. Aayiram. malargale. malarungal was goosebump inducing stuff.

Loved Vijay A + DSPs head swings. I can hardly tolerate both but highly respect the fact that both of them are huge Raja fans. 'Namma paya' feeling when they exhibit it each time.

And the mandatory appreciations to Prakash Raj and Jaya TV (for the choice of songs/BGMs they played from the NA winning scores) Can't wait until tomorrow but don't like the fact that its the last episode :-(

venkkiram
17th January 2012, 08:48 AM
"நான் உனை நீங்க மாட்டேன்.." என்ற வரிகளைத் துவங்கும் முன்பு ராட்சசனாக பாலு உருமாறிய கணத்தைக் கண்டு ராஜா க்ளீன்போல்டு ஆகும் நிகழ்வு கடைசித் தொகுப்பில் இருக்கிறது. தரிசிக்க காத்திருக்கிறேன்..

AravindMano
17th January 2012, 09:11 AM
The way he asks the audience to keep quiet at 10:10 in that symphony video :rotfl2:

AravindMano
17th January 2012, 09:13 AM
V_S, neenga enna ezhudhinAlum it's so good to read :clap: Thanks much Sir!

venkkiram
17th January 2012, 09:21 AM
இரண்டாம் தொகுப்பின் கடைசிப் பாடலாக வரும் "என் இனிய பொன் நிலாவே!".. யேசுதாசின் துள்ளல், குதூகலம், ஆற்றல்... பிரமிக்க வைக்கிறது. நான் இந்த அளவுக்கு அவர் பாட்டோடு கலந்துவிடுவார் என எதிர்பார்க்கவேயில்லை. "கனாவே.." என பல்லவியின் கடைசிவரியை அவர் முடிக்கும் விதம் அட்டகாசம். அசலை அப்படியே கொண்டு வரணும் என்ற எதிர்பார்ப்பு எல்லாம் இல்லை. இந்த அளவுக்கு பாடலின் உணர்வோடு கலந்தாலே போதும்! வேறு என்ன பெரிசா வேணும்? பெண்கள் கோரஸ் கூடுதல் பலம். சபாஷ் சதா! சிறப்பா செய்திருக்காங்க.

naarayanan
17th January 2012, 10:13 AM
he was referrring to see his hand while conducting........i think. "see the kai" with an anglicised accent...:)

Sureshs65
17th January 2012, 10:27 AM
Super post V_Sji as usual :clap:

Not sure why, the crowd did not recognize the song until 10-15 secs.

Nerd,

That was because everyone was sure 'oliyile therivadhu' would be played since Prakash Raj had spoken about the new generation and Karthik had come on stage. So it was decided by all of us that 'oliyile' will be the song which will be played and we were waiting for that song's prelude. The prelude which came up was different and we were confused. Hence that 10 or 15 secs delay before the applause rent the air. I still remember my friend sitting next to me, identifying it first and shouting,"dei, edho mogam da idhu".

KV
17th January 2012, 11:15 AM
V_Sji, there you go again! :clap:

One fact that stood out crystal clear in this concert is that though the legends (IR, SPB, KJY, BMK and SPC) might have passed their peak performance phase/age, stepping into the sunsetting zone, the amount of practice over all these years packs the gas in them to pin down the new-age singers, who were just a patch on the former. Gladly, and thankfully, a majoriy of the songs were sung by seniors. But this surely was bound to exhaust them, and that, I'm guessing, is the reason behind SPB sounding a little tired. Of the new singers, Surmukhi gets my vote too, very promising.

Another aspect is the respect given to a composition's emotions and grammar over demonstration of technicality. SPB, Chitra, and to a good extent, KJY, stand testimony to this. It's not like as though they aren't capable of doing vocal gymnastics. It's their choice to adhere to the composer's vision and thereby keeping the emotions and grammar of the songs intact. SPB incorporated one, just one extra aalap in Sundari (that had IR reacting with a puzzled, but bright smile) and after finishing the song, announced that he'd taken IR permission before-hand (And I think he hugged IR after that). Speak of bequeathing ego and respecting the composer, it doesn't get better than this! :bow:. Compare this with Hariharan and Sriram Parthasarathy and their attitude to live performances. Demonstration of one's technicality is perfectly agreeable in a live show, but doing it at the cost of the composition's beauty? HH, in my books, has totally forgotten his originals. He tries to cover this up with his slieght-of-the-hand like technical gimmickry, which most of the time appears like the singer equivalent of a contortionist. His pitching and thaalam were abysmal in Nee Partha paarvai and it took a while before he settled down into the actual song. IR, who, I thought, should've been seething with anger, was kind enough to say some nice things about HH, and even asked him to do a small aalaap for the KAsi song. Ditto with Sriram who tried to do some hey-look-at-my-singing-talent-ya in Elangaathu veesudhe and almost totally missed the laidback, blow-in-the-breeze feel of the original.
Avanga avanga dhaan, neenga neenga dhaan.

Plum
17th January 2012, 11:43 AM
KV, :thumbsup: - I also noticed that, for some reason, Raja seems to have huge respect for Hariharan. His body language towards hari is *more respectful* than the one towards Jesu aNNA and Balu. Maybe because of Hari's prowess in another form of music that isn't IR's first suit - hindustani, ghazals. Familiarity breeds contempt, unfamiliarity holds respect-ngaRadhu idhu dhaan...

Plum
17th January 2012, 11:44 AM
And yes, Sriram Parthan - :contempt: :baed-weards:

Plum
17th January 2012, 11:45 AM
Same goes for Rita female. She sounds good in Idhu oru nilaa kaalam only because the original singer was no great shakes herself. Nee booze irukkudhOda niRuthiikammA...

Plum
17th January 2012, 11:47 AM
Missing Shreya kuzhandhai, yes but even granting that she is too busy, I missed Manjari from the 05 concert. She isn't Shreya, yes, but much competent than the young female singers in this concert. Edho mogam, Idhu oru nilaa kaalam all suitable for her...

kid-glove
17th January 2012, 11:49 AM
Could someone get me the link to KH-IR lovefest?

wizzy
17th January 2012, 11:54 AM
HH's guru Ghulam Mustafa Khan might be a factor..Swamigal had earlier acknowledged the rigorous training one has to go through to be his disciple

p
17th January 2012, 12:10 PM
Napolean/Arunmozhi on flute, needs special mention. He is fighting an army of violinists single handedly :)

KV
17th January 2012, 12:23 PM
True, Arunmozhi was consistently brilliant in the concert! :clap: Percussions dhaan lighta sodhappIttAnga.

rajaramsgi
17th January 2012, 01:59 PM
Last part.. 17-01-2012 (splitted in 7 parts)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjBRpqBbbgE&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3-w7k74tJE&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylGvvBjmNro&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENUqo67BWXI&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BGRJvwlals&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oFG4ee_YGw&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdLnBALUlT8&feature=player_embedded

tvsankar
17th January 2012, 03:25 PM
ellam parunga.. parthutu.. pesanam.. share pannanam.. programme pathi.........

thumburu
17th January 2012, 06:41 PM
"Endrendrum Raja" is markedly superior to "Andrum Indrum Endrum Raja" due to many reasons, the chief being its orchestral splendour that is near perfection. Also this one is richer in musical content with great song selection , professional and pleasing compering aligned to recognizing musical "saadhanai" , rather than hollow rhetoric , stage presence of giants like KJY, SPB, BMK , Hariharan, Chitra, able performance by new female singers like Surmuki and the other lady who sang "kaNmaNiye kadhal enbadhu", Budapest orchestra crew's awesome jazz performance, Raja's relaxed/happy mood to top these all.
V_S, your wonderful recount of the 3 day music festival is like rewinding them all over again :)
Raja's "Janani" was a lot better than the AIE concert. KJY , for his age managed "Amma endrazhaikkaadha" quite well . He altered the tune here and there but stayed within the ambit of Kalyani."Naanaaga naanillai" was cool and sober and matched SPB's low key presence. His usual joie de vivre was acutely missing esp in "madai thirandhu" . May be the loss of "Aranyakaandam" and Charan getting embroiled in a scandal took their toll :(
Chitra was superb in all her rendering . I didn't miss Janaki at all. It did feel saddening not to see her usual smile. yArAvadhu Napoleonkku dhrishti suthi poduno. Manushar pinnitaar. Chinna kannan/poonkadhave/poove sempoove/ oru jeevan , oru raagam -all gleamed with his magical touch.
KJY's age could not cope up with demands of oru raagam and en iniya pon nilaave. Somehow he managed a decent one for poove sempoove despite his wrong take on 2nd charanam. Thanks to that as we got to hear that monster of an interlude many times.
Raja struggled with Oru jeevan and cHITRA more than made up for his faltering.
I could hear the same young Chitra singing . What a dedicated performance!!!
I wish SPB had sung Idhayam oru kovil and may be Raja should have sung only few portions instead of the whole song.
Cruel age has crept slowly on SPB too as his sangathis were found wanting at many places and he was striving hard for the breathless pallavi in kaNmaNiye kadhal and his "konjal" were absent in "vizhiyile malarndhadhu". But he got his verve back with Kattu kyilu and iLamai idho idho.
Kodi pranams to BMK for his impeccable "chinna kannan". I was spellbound at how he could still carry with elan those high pitched passages in "nenjil undagum ragam idhu thaana kaNmanNi Radha
undhan punnagai sollaadha adhisayama azhage iLamai radhame"
Dedication , thy other name - KJY/SPB/BMK/Chitra
Minus -
Poor Karthik had to salvae "edho mogam" as that C grade singer Rita went completely off-key in "sedhi enna" - idha kooda ozhunga paada varala. For the rest of the song her voice was sticking out . Raja should simply stop using her . She is Manjari no 2 and only better than Bhava. I did miss SJ in "idhu oru nila kaalam". This is one song where even the orchestra a;so could not recreate the original magic.I badly missed the majesty of trumpets, the thunderous drums during the opening and that jazzy guitar and keys part after the 2nd humming.

Iam happy that this concert belied my hopelessness !!

Sureshs65
17th January 2012, 06:59 PM
The highlight of BMK's singing 'chinnakannan' (for the people who attended) was the way he effortlessly joined the pallavi from the charnam. Both times people were thrilled and there was applause all around. Infact, the earlier day when I met Rajasaranam and eagle, I was telling them that instead of sing some 'standard' hits they should try and get Balamuralikrishna to sing 'ChinnaKannan'. eagle wasn't sure if BMK's voice hadn't aged now. The suspicion also came about because BMK doesn't do concert nowadays. But all doubts were cleared during the program. What an effort it was.

Sureshs65
17th January 2012, 07:01 PM
And yes, 'edho mogam' was probably the worst female performance in the program. I personally do not think Manjari is as bad as thumburu makes her to be :) She is no Janaki or Chitra for sure but she has done well in most of the songs Raja gave to her, especially in Malayalam.

KV
17th January 2012, 07:04 PM
//thumburu - check PM//

kameshratnam
17th January 2012, 07:21 PM
Conductor - R PUrushothaman

Solo Violin - R K Prabhakar

Notes: Judy David

Tabla: Prasad and Y.P.Prasad

Dolki:V B Madhu Pudhanan and K R Shruthi Raj

Rhytm: A Riyan Mahadevi and Jayachandran

Drums: V Kumar

Thavil: S Sundhar

Bass Guitar: M Saseetharan

Lead Guitar: S. Sadanandam

Keys: B Bharanidharan, N Jayakumar and D Sivaram

Trumpet: A Irudayaraj Babu and Maxwell Rajan

Flute: S Napolean

Saxophone: M S V Raja

Veenai: Punya Srinivas Devi

Shanai: Ballesh

Dilruba: Saroja

Sithar: Ganesh Muthu

Nadaswaram: Thirumoorthy

Western choir: Augustine Paul

Music coordinator: Subbaih

kameshratnam
17th January 2012, 08:29 PM
Please dont search for the VACHA Parvai song.....It was there in the concert but they did not play in the telecast ...sad state of affairs

Nerd
17th January 2012, 09:02 PM
Nerd,

That was because everyone was sure 'oliyile therivadhu' would be played since Prakash Raj had spoken about the new generation and Karthik had come on stage. So it was decided by all of us that 'oliyile' will be the song which will be played and we were waiting for that song's prelude. The prelude which came up was different and we were confused. Hence that 10 or 15 secs delay before the applause rent the air. I still remember my friend sitting next to me, identifying it first and shouting,"dei, edho mogam da idhu".
Thanks Suresh, makes sense now :-)

Couple of points I missed to register about yesterday's telecast:
1. KanamaniyE kaadhal enbadhu - bad choice for a live show. The *breath breaks* killed the pallavi. SPB was Okish but the girl was gasping for breath literally.
2. MV's tribute could have been better than reducing him to a 'SPB replacement'.

V_S
17th January 2012, 09:45 PM
Thanks Nerd, Aravind, KV, thumburu for all your appreciation.
KV, that was a great take on singers. Could not agree more. Technical wizardry does not help the singers here, all they have to do is to strictly keep with the mood of the song. It is a pity these new and young singers do not realize that. I heard many young singers just sing word by word as they read. May be (that too may be) they sing correctly only when they sing for movies, which is not the correct approach. As Nerd expressed, I can take those Hariyudan Naan 4 singers better than these so-called professional singers, atleast for the stage performance. Atleast they were sincere enough in the task given and delivered.

Plum, fantastic quote. What I write and intended to write in pages (not this one, generally saying), you said it in one-liner. Neenga neenga dhaan, naan naan dhaan.

Familiarity breeds contempt, unfamiliarity holds respect-ngaRadhu idhu dhaan

Nerd, That was a wonderful observation on MV sir. I too felt the same that after reading your post. May be in the excitment, missed this one. I believe Raja is always like that, even we heard SJ had concern about not appreciating her after receiving National award for best singer in his music. He does not care, but definitely Maestro should have highlighted more on some of his best singing or atleast organizers could have shown some clips of his songs. Swarnalatha should also have been included.

thumburu, Beautiful summary about the whole show. I don't know if SPB's performance was affected by his personal issues (I don't know about all this), if true, will pray he should come out of all this, as still he got many more years to bless us with his inimitable voice and singing. I could not stand him struggle and I am not going to believe that.

Thanks Suresh ji for highlighting the portions where audience were thrilled on Dr BMK rendition. Legend by all means! All 20's and 30's should learn from this Master in 80's, pure gold.

Thanks narayanan for clarifying my doubt on Maestro's 'See the kai', that was amusing!

AthukuLLa youtube'a pottaingla! Very fast. Have set timer on my TV, will have to watch it in the evening. Thanks Kamesh, rajaramsgi for sharing the links.

Again orchestra has been phenomenal in this concert. As p mentioned, Napolean took the whole orchestra single-handedly, deserves a big round of applause.

app_engine
17th January 2012, 09:49 PM
2. MV's tribute could have been better than reducing him to a 'SPB replacement'.

+1

There were some unmistakable digs (ofcourse, IMO) on certain individuals (BR, VM)...so, 'at least oppukkAchchum MV-yai ninaivu paduththinAngaLE'nnu thirupthi pattukka vENdiyadhu dhAn :-)

app_engine
17th January 2012, 09:52 PM
Napolean, the man of the match!

:clap:

Close to perfection!

Single handedly salvaging many "ngE" moments of the orchestra, IMO!

(BTW, yet to see the third set of videos, my comments are based on first two sets).

app_engine
17th January 2012, 10:01 PM
I post my contempt for the male singers after the KJY-SPB-MV era in the IR forum every now and then.

And most of them supported me by their dismal show on stage :wink:

Ofcourse, all the aged masters struggled on stage as well (with the exception of BMK :thumbsup:) but we have enough proof that they were great when younger (both on and off stage).

YSR getting dad to keep his hand on head ("Raja kaiya vechchA") was a pullarips moment. Such things make stage shows remarkable! (Actually I am enjoying mostly only such moments as I, for one, can never like music in light music shows as they are mostly pale imitations of the originals - unlike in the west where both singers and orchestra perform to perfection even on stage :shock:)

Chithra :awesome:

Woman of the match!

Flawless :shock: Proves why she is the greatest among those currently in film music!

app_engine
17th January 2012, 10:04 PM
Two songs that should never again be included on stage shows (even when IR is around on stage):

madai thiRandhu
EdhO mOgam

:-(

kameshratnam
17th January 2012, 10:13 PM
Vacha paravai, Ninavo oru paravai were not even aired in jaya tv. It was there in the concert

I dont know why they chose 2 songs from many films

Alaigal Oyvathillai: Pudum Pudu Kalai and Ayiram thamarai

Dalapathy: Sundari Kannal and Kattu Kuyilu

Nizhalgal: Madai thiranthu and Poogathave

Sriram parthasarthy tried improvising and IR just smiled and let him off.

KV
17th January 2012, 10:25 PM
Please dont search for the VACHA Parvai song.....It was there in the concert but they did not play in the telecast ...sad state of affairs
:shock:
This is one of my favorite kuththu songs of Raaja. It was such a pleasant surprise seeing this in the concert. Sad that it has gone under the axe in the TV telecast.
The song has a very nice prelude starting with a sax lead backed by rhythm guitars, followed by flutes and thabla. There was some technical fault with the microphone when they started playing and the sax was not audible at all. Thankfully, Raaja, Mr. Perfect that he is, asked them to stop and start again and then it worked perfectly the second time! KJY performed the with good energy, no complaints.
There must be some audience recorded version of this song. Don't miss this one folks.

app_engine
17th January 2012, 10:27 PM
BTW, if they could have 'Ayiram thAmarai mottukkaLE' on stage, why not iLaya nilA? :wink:

(Well, great to see that VM song :-) )

app_engine
17th January 2012, 10:31 PM
Two major sodhappals IMO that I didn't expect when the whole IR-team was on stage...

1. First interlude of madai thiRandhu :-( (On top of SPB struggling & poor chorus)
2. drum / percussion work for EdhO mOgam got replaced by some weak tablA sounds :-(

Ofcourse, these kind of things show how phenomenal the original compositions are and the difficulty in doing such compositions on stage!

KV
17th January 2012, 10:33 PM
Two songs that should never again be included on stage shows (even when IR is around on stage):

madai thiRandhu
EdhO mOgam

:-(

:confused2:

Why do you think so, App? The first one has energy bursting out of it and the latter is among the best songs to showcase IR's instrumentation, can even be picked for a symphonic' instrumental version!
If you'd meant that these songs require a certain degree of skill and energy, without which it's impossible to do justice to the composition, then I'm with you!

KV
17th January 2012, 10:36 PM
Er, what's with the weird spacing in every post I'm trying to make?! Just me?

app_engine
17th January 2012, 10:43 PM
If you'd meant that these songs require a certain degree of skill and energy, without which it's impossible to do justice to the composition, then I'm with you!

You nailed it sir!

Yes, I love these songs too much and struggle with blemishes (which may not be case with many other listeners, it could be just me).

Ofcourse, I agree that these are numbers to showcase the greatness of IR to those who don't know him (I would prefer giving the CDs to such people, rAsAvE Paul Mauriat kitta EdhO mOgam pOttukkAtti appreciation vAngi irukkAru) :-)

app_engine
17th January 2012, 10:46 PM
Yuvan spoofing Kamal :shock:

paiyA, unakku idhu thEvaiyA? adhuvum ippadi oru stage-la?

I think Yuvan has absolutely no future plans to work with Kamal :-(

venkkiram
17th January 2012, 10:54 PM
சுந்தரி கண்ணால் ஒரு சேதி - பாடலை பாலு இன்னமும் இளமையாக வைத்திருக்கிறார். சித்ரா சரியான பக்கபலம். இம்ப்ரோவைஸ் செய்வதற்கு முன்-அனுமதி கேட்டதை பாலு பகிர்ந்தபோது நெகிழ்ந்துவிட்டேன். பாலு பாலுதான்! இந்தப் பாடலின் ஒவ்வொரு வரிகளையும் பாலு மிகவும் அனுபவித்து வார்த்தைகளுக்கு தேவையான உணர்வை பாய்ச்சியது இந்த நிகழ்ச்சிக்கு ஹைலைட்டான விஷயங்களில் ஒன்றாக கருதுகிறேன்.

பாலு வாழ்க வளமுடன்!

Plum
17th January 2012, 10:59 PM
RR, thanks for the PM. Vasishtar vaayaala brahmarishi :) it will take me a while to clear my inbox hence replying hereR

venkkiram
17th January 2012, 11:04 PM
"இது ஒரு நிலாக்காலம்.." பாடல் மிகவும் அருமையாய் வந்திருந்தது. ஜானகி இல்லாத குறை என்றாலும் இதை வேறொரு வடிவமாக நினைத்து இனி வரும் காலங்களில் தொடர்ந்து கண்டு ரசிப்பேன். பெண் பாடகி அழகா பாடினாங்க. "நாதிர்தின்னா" பாடகர் சிறப்பாக செய்து முடித்தார். வாத்தியக் கருவிகளும் பக்க பலம்.

venkkiram
17th January 2012, 11:12 PM
நிகழ்ச்சியை பார்த்தவர்களின் கடுமையான விமர்சனத்தினால் கொஞ்சமும் எதிர்பார்ப்பு இல்லாமல் - ஹரிஹரனின் "என் மன வானில்" பாடல் கண்டேன். கிடைத்தவரை ஆதாயம். பாடும்போது இம்மியளவு தாமத்தாலும் மொத்தப் பாடலின் இயல்பையே மாற்றிவிடும் பாடல் அமைப்பு "என் மன வானில்". பள்ளத்தில் துள்ளிக் குதித்து வரும் ஓடை நீர்போல நெளிந்து நெளிந்து செல்லக் கூடிய மெட்டு. ஒதுக்கித் தள்ளும் அளவுக்கு இல்லாமல் நன்றாகவே செய்திருந்தார். அதுவும் ராஜாவின் தனிப்பார்வை (குரு பார்வை போல) கிடைத்திருப்பது சிறப்பு! பெருமையா இருக்கு!

K
18th January 2012, 05:10 AM
"என் மன வானில்" seems to be Fav song of Raja. he was enjoying the song and sung along with Hariji.

buggle
18th January 2012, 05:37 AM
My 2 cents...
Thoroughly enjoyed the show, song selection was classy..
Could have avoided the repeat ones - sundari kannal, naan thedum
If IR planning for another one down the road, could there be any mediator who can talk with SJ and bring her on stage?
Not sure is there any rift between them...
Also another small request is to have Ulaga nayagan sing couple of his songs
Will this happen???

V_S
18th January 2012, 08:55 AM
I was surprised so see that Maestro is requesting someone to sing (other than his composition) and appreciating. Even SPB said he got permission to sing his own sangathi, but here the reverse happened. Chitra used to say she will be nervous to sing before Maestro. Plum, now I can relate your post about IR and Hariharan. 'Vashistar vaayaal bramharishi'. Hariharan should be very proud, as it is coming from Maestro, and he deserve it (not for this song, as a great singer overall). He did quite well in 'en mana vaanil', barring some thamizh slips. Maestro throughly enjoyed his singing and the song, that he sang along with him. Too good to see Maestro in jubilant mood. I also liked Hariharan's gesture (with permission from Prakash Raj) in return.

The starting choir and Sadha sir's guitar in Ithu our Nila Kaalam was terrific. Sax again took the song to where it needs to be. The soul of the whole song lie in the 'nagirthana' portion, just like mandravathi's uyir in some koondu kiLi's heart far far away. If you kill the kiLi, mandravathi will be gone. The fellow who did that part, did 70-80% of what TVG sir did. Definitely there were slips as it is too fast to sing, definitely need to appreciate the guy who boldly tried his best and came out as winner. The other guy (who sang Aayiram MalargaLE) did the second humming part very well. I think Rita overheard whatever we talked about her singing yesterday about Etho MOgham. :wink: She had that vengeance in her mind and performed way better in Sundari Neeyum and Idhu Oru Nilaa Kaalam, especially the latter one, this is the Rita I know in Unnai Patri Sonnaal. There you go, except thamizh pronunciations (La vs la)! She did that husky 'Yeh Paarizaatham' superbly. Haricharan was too good in sangathis in Sundari Neeyum. Thoroughly enjoyed both the songs.

My first moment of this episode belongs to the orchestration of Gum Sum Gum, especially the second interlude. Floored! :notworthy: Starting guitar and some great piano runs. Attila played some fabulous guitar (what a cool guy!) and the guy who played piano in the second interlude (yes it not exactly the same as we hear in the original) was extremely wonderful to hear. :notworthy: Attila did not not see any notes, he remembers every note. Surprised! Drummer was all smiles, as usual. Bhavatharini and choir singers did a very good job (except few pitch problems). Maestro, eppadi sir intha piece'a compose panneenga. :notworthy: It's good to see Maestro himself conducts the song, as it is a definitely a special song. JOdi Nathigal anecdote was good.

Last time in 2005 concert when we heard Naan ThEdum, he could create the magic atleast close to the original, but not this time, Chitra as usual at her best captured the soul what SJ gave in the original.

Poove Sempoove orchestration was dashing. The portion when there was a brisk violin and suddenly stops before the charanam, was breath-taking. We also got lucky to hear the second interlude three times. Yesudas sir was sincere enough to sing and complete the portion he missed, that the greatness of those legends. :noteworthy: Raja acknowledged that beautifully saying, There can be mistakes, but 'etha pannanumO, atha pannaama vittuda koodaathu'. The last coda was a supreme bliss. Hats off to Napolean again!

The medley was a good surprise element as it didn't happened like this in ealier concert. 2-notes composition was too good until he revealed other song in 2-notes (even 1-note in that case).

SPB back to his form in Sundari Kannaal. I could see him taking pains while singing the song to perfection. Could hear the same 'VEthanai' (yodeling at 'V' in VEthanai) as in original. There is no match for him. :notworthy: Choir harmony with violins and how it ends to give the lead to charanams, only Maestro possible. Chitra ji pathi solli solli bore'aidichu. Even the Hungary team was playing almost every song. They play every song casually as if they knew it for a long time. That additional sangathi by SPB was ultimate, Maestro also enjoyed. They hug each other after the song is another big moment for me. It moved me to tears. Even though I tend to think that this song is a repetition from the 2005 concert, if they would not have played this, we would not have got this unique moment. These are the moments I would like to relish at my old age.

The lion and tiger are out to quench their thirst in Kaattu Kuyilu. This is another biggest moment for today. Both performed superbly giving lessons to youngster and upcoming singers on how to enjoy while singing. The passion in them clearly shows in them. When they both sang 'Acchu vellum pachcharisi vetti vechcha sengarumbi athanaiyum thithikkira naaLthaan', I literally shouted like the audience. Can't get better than this. Second charanam still goes higher to prove their hearts.

SPB sings this delightful line changing it: bandham enna sondham enna pOna enna vantha enna uravukkellaam kavalai patta jenmam naanthaan (naanillai in original) definitely!
SPB again sings 'uLLa mattum naane usire kooda thaanE'
KJY answers 'en nanban kEtta vaangikannu solvEn'

and audience roars. See when these friends are together, they get the energy, power and forget everything that they are singing or performing before others, they are just enjoying among themselves. KOdi rooba koduthaalum kediakkaathu. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: To be honest, I don't like this song that much, but this song from now on will stay long with me long enough with the memory of these three legends on stage, hugging each other.

Prakash Raj's story and his analogy was very touching. Maestro acknowledging the whole team was very moving and it clearly shows Maestro's humility. If anyone thinks Maestro is still the same person, this last acknowledgment is a testimony to prove them false.

SPB's thundering performance in ILamai Itho Itho (there were some slips in that 'thagathaga') is a great way to end the show just before new year!

Performance of singers today almost nullified whatever they did yesterday. Orchestra again was superb, as expected. As Maestro explained, how much hard work went into orchestration. :notworthy: Some great gestures and acknowledgements, best of all time I have seen today. I never thought that the Hungary team will be present for the whole show. Many thanks to Mr. Attila and his team. Great song selections. Big salute to Jaya TV, Subhashree ma'am and her team for organizing this impossible show. :notworthy:

Greatest show I have ever seen and a lot of great memories to take with me. Long live Maestro!

venkkiram
18th January 2012, 09:03 AM
"நான் செய்த பாவம் என்னோடு போகும்!" - நெகிழ்வு தரும் இன்னொரு நிகழ்வு. ராஜாவும் பதிலுக்கு கைகூப்புவது அழகான ஹைக்கூ. வித்தகனுக்கும் சாதாரண இசைக் கலைஞனுக்கும் உள்ள பெரிய இடைவெளியை அடையாளம் போட்டுக் காட்டியது. சாதாரணப் பாடகனாக இருந்தால் மூன்றாம் முறையாக இருப்பினும் அந்த வரியை உச்சரிக்கையில் தன் மீது கையைக் காட்டவே தோன்றியிருக்காது. தவறு செய்துவிட்டோமே என்ற பயத்தோடே பாடலை மன உளைச்சலோடு பாடியிருப்பர். அதற்கு மாறாக இன்னொரு வாட்டி பார்த்துடுவோம் நீயாவது நானாவது என வரிந்து கட்டிக்கொண்டு தன்னை தயார் செய்துகொள்வது... யேசுதாசின் மீதுள்ள ஈர்ப்பு பலமடங்கு அதிகரித்துள்ளது.

V_S
18th January 2012, 09:18 AM
Very well said venkki! :thumbsup: I too felt the same. I too was little sad when he started the charanam at the wrong time twice, rather than, 'no he should have not missed it'. When he asked Maestro that he wants to sing again, I got lump in my throat. When he started the charanam correctly the third time, I thought he would stop there, but he continued till the end of the song, that's where he stood tall among the singers. Maestro acknowledged equally.

AravindMano
18th January 2012, 09:44 AM
Er, what's with the weird spacing in every post I'm trying to make?! Just me?

app_engine sonnadhA konjam too-much justify paNNitteengannu ninaikREn, adhAn.

Sorry for the PJ.

venkkiram
18th January 2012, 09:47 AM
காட்டுக்குயிலு பாடலின் தாள ஓசைகள் புதுமையாக இருந்தன. ஒரிஜினல் போல இல்லாமல் வேறொரு ஓசை வழங்கியதும் மனதிற்கு நிறைவாக இருந்தது.

சுந்தரி நீயும் - ஹரிச்சரண் சிரத்தையோடு, உள்ளமுருகி பாடினார். அதற்கேற்ப பாடலும் நிறைவு.

கலவை சாதத்தில் பூங்காற்று புதிதானது முடிந்தவுடனே "கடலலையில் ஆடும்.." என யார் தூரிகை தந்த ஓவியம் என்பதை இணைத்தது ராஜாவுக்கே உரிய முத்திரை.

ராஜாவின் இன்னொரு பாடலாகவே மாறிப்போனது அவரின் நன்றியுரை. ஒவ்வொரு இசைக்கலைஞரையும் அவர் குறிப்பிடும்போது சுபஸ்ரீ குழு மெனக்கெட்டு அவர்களுக்கான காட்சித்துண்டை இணைத்தது பாராட்டப்படவேண்டியது. சதா குடும்பத்தின் விருந்தோம்பல் செயலைக் குறிப்பிட்டதும் அருமை. ஆம். முன்பெல்லாம் பொதுவான பழக்கமாக இருந்த விருந்தோம்பல் இப்போது மறைந்து வரும் வேளையில் அப்படிப்பட்ட பாரம்பரியம் போற்றத்தக்கது.

"வஞ்சிக்கோட்டை வாலிபன், தலைய பார்த்தீங்களா? glare அடிக்குது!" ராஜாவின் குறும்பு. அருண்மொழியை குறிப்பிட மறந்து விட்டார் என்பது நிகழ்ச்சியின் கண் திருஷ்டியாக எடுத்துக்கொள்ளணும். அடுத்த முறை தவறாமல் அவருக்கு ராஜ மரியாதை கிடைக்கும்.

இளமை இதோ இதோ.. பாடலின் ஒவ்வொரு இசைக்குறிப்பும் நம் அனைவருக்குமே நாடி நரம்பு வழியே ஓடிக்கொண்டிருக்கிறது என்பதை பாடலின் ஆரம்பம் முதல் கடைசிவரை ஆர்ப்பரித்து அணு அணுவாக ரசித்த ரசிகர்களே சாட்சி. பாலு இன்னமும் அசலோடு போட்டிபோடுவது பிரமிக்கவைக்கிறது. வயது, உடல் நலம் கருதி போகப் போக இந்த அளவுக்கு பிரயத்தனம் எடுப்பதை குறைத்துக்கொள்ளுங்கள் பாலு!

மொத்தத்தில் பொங்கல் விடுமுறை தினங்கள் கரும்புச் சுவை போல இனிதே கழிந்தன ராஜாவின் கச்சேரியால். நன்றி ராஜா & ஜெயா குழுமம்!

jaiganes
18th January 2012, 10:04 AM
fullaa paathaachu..
to sum up - "Sandhosha theppaththilae".
all other nottais - case dismissed..
The way raaja concluded one would tend to believe that such a concert will not happen. indha feeling dhaan konjam vayitha kalakkudhu..
kadavule nalladhe nadakkattum..

Sureshs65
18th January 2012, 10:27 AM
buggle,

To be honest, in case of Janaki and Susheela, age has caught up. I think as great fans of these two legends, instead of asking them to come and sing onstage, we should probably request people not to trouble them. They deserve the rest and let us give our accolades to them and don't ask for them to come and sing. (Ofcourse we can always call them onstage and honor them.)

From whatever I gathered from friends, Kamal Hasan was supposed to come and sing 'ninaivo oru paravai' and 'raja kaiya vacha'. Looks like he couldn't do it due to his work pressure and hence Yuvan had to step in at the last minute. If you observe both were Kamal songs.

teja
18th January 2012, 10:56 AM
Whoa! Show of a life time! Blessed are those who watched it live.

Any idea who this singer is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGtybUctpos#t=2m29s
She's a talent to watch out for!

P_R
18th January 2012, 12:33 PM
Just listening :clap: :shock: @ idhaiyam pOgudhE

P_R
18th January 2012, 01:06 PM
Lyricals total damage in that on-the-spot ittukkattal ennai thottu 2 note song :lol:

skr
18th January 2012, 05:07 PM
Was away for a while
Wonderful to read all your posts on the concert.
Am disappointed that the festival had to end :(
But it was a memorable experience to attend the concert live and witness these musicians create havoc.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
18th January 2012, 11:31 PM
for our comfort, the links of all the 3 day program here

15th - http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?9627-Endrendrum-Raja-Live-in-Concert-Chennai-Videos&p=800235&viewfull=1#post800235

16th - http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?9627-Endrendrum-Raja-Live-in-Concert-Chennai-Videos&p=800501&viewfull=1#post800501

17th - http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?9627-Endrendrum-Raja-Live-in-Concert-Chennai-Videos&p=801081&viewfull=1#post801081

If its not too much to ask, i wud request someone comeup with the list of songs, as in the order of youtube videos, making it easy for viewing.

[/B]Let someone post this in the 1st post of this thread[/B]

kiru
19th January 2012, 02:27 AM
This concert was awesome ..No wonder all you folks are so excited and providing very good reviews.. (especially like the ones from V_S and KV). I dont think any other concert like this - in terms of orchestrational complexity has been attempted on stage in India. This was like european classical meets rock meets indian classical concert.. no wonder the audience does not know when to dance when to stay quiet. I bet the Hungarian guys are flabbergasted at this genre of popular music.
During the eighties we got so many gems because IR was exploring carnatic.. now he is onto Jazz. I am guessing we will be in for another wave of gems from him.. if nature and our cine folks cooperate..

Yeah.. the singers slipped here and there but I guess things are a bit difficult to do it one shot.. Also..singers improved sometime into the song..I think the female singers let by Chitra were more consistent than the male singers..just my feeling.. yeah Rita messed up ethO Mogam .. I think she started the charanam in the wrong pitch/tempo and could not correct .. She needs to cool down a bit.. probably stressed out. My favorite KJY slipped in diction/pronounciation and notes a bit. I liked his his spirit and energy though. I dont know why he (in en iniya pon ) and even raaja shortened the notes a bit .. is it improvisation ? Haricharan did well..but I did not see the shake in the notes and the bhavam like Kamalhassan (great guy .. who can act/sing/dance/write lyrics/direct)

rajkumarc
19th January 2012, 02:36 AM
It would be really hard to conduct a better concert. Endrendrum Raja comes out at the top even with the sub-standard performance of some of the newer singers. I don't think SPB or KJY are going to perform much better in the future concerts. It's thoroughly satisfying to listen to them perform live with IR even though they were unable to replicate the quality of the original recording. I would take that drop in quality any day over some other new singer trying to do justice which never works out.

Kattu Kuyilu and Ilamai Idho were top notch performances especially in terms of vocals. Poove Semboove's orchestration and the multiple repeats were stunning. These kind of events lift such a concert to an extraordinary level. Will we get to see another concert like this, I doubt it seriously.

I sincerely hope and wish IR does a future concert with other languages or performing more of his recent works.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
19th January 2012, 03:02 AM
Above all, we need to bow down to Jaya TV's dedication in constant staging of Raja's masterpieces. even not so popular but superb compositions. Raaga maalika, that past concert, this one,, wow!! Jaya TV really Rocks :thumbsup:

From the minor incident where Raja Sir is made to walk a bit of distance(a sort of disrespect) during the arrogant JJ's 1996 rule, to now where Jaya is mostly transformed and also JJ tv to Jaya TV. While other channels like Kalaigner TV, vijay Tv and Sun TV aren't arranging for IR concert its Jaya TV which is the ONLY channel sincerely staging rare raja songs. I guess we will have another concert at 2015/2016.

all the Sun music, raj music Isaiyaruvi types surely survive by airing well on Raja's melodies, and even Vijay Tv's super singer's main backbone is raja sir's songs only. lets see if they do their part...

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
19th January 2012, 06:47 AM
I dont think any other concert like this - in terms of orchestrational complexity has been attempted on stage in India. This was like european classical meets rock meets indian classical concert.. no wonder the audience does not know when to dance when to stay quiet. I bet the Hungarian guys are flabbergasted at this genre of popular music.superb point! maybe there was some previous event, we don't know but surely this can be considered one of the most complex orchestration, even complex singing, needless to say complex compositions. As we are most familiar with all songs, if music fans from some other state/place was subjected to this show, hearing most pieces for the first time, he may agree the compositional complexity too!

my 2 cents

layman10
19th January 2012, 09:04 AM
Balki asked for 'jodi nadhigal' ?! wow not bad..

KV
19th January 2012, 01:56 PM
Yeah, that was a surprise! This guy, without any doubt, is namma paya!

Sureshs65
19th January 2012, 02:32 PM
/ Dig

KV, I think you had asked me about a Ramana Maharishi album which you saw in a shop. I am unable to find that thread, so replying here.

Yes, that has music by Raja but the singing is done a devotional group. It has more the traditional devotional flavour to it.

KV
19th January 2012, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the info, Suresh (are these new songs or the ones from his other Ramana albums?)
It's available at the Ramana Ashram in Sanjay Nagar, I'm told. Will try to get it sometime soon.

Checked for Mayilu at 'Temptations', Indira Nagar, yesterday; wasn't available. Any news in Calypso?
Chennai, anyone?

Sureshs65
19th January 2012, 06:11 PM
KV,

Those songs are different. They have nothing in common with the other Ramana albums.

Haven't been to Jayanagar today. Will check tomorrow.

Nerd
19th January 2012, 09:00 PM
Caught up with the videos of the last day telecast last night. Perhaps the best day for singers. Even Reeta sounded good. SPB/KJY threw kaattukkuyilu out of the park. Such a delight watching them sing it. And thanks to KJY sir we got to listen to that stunning 2nd interlude of poovE sempoovE not twice but thrice. Fantastic! Not a particulary good day for the orchestra, relatively. Idhu oru nilakkaalam/Kattukkuyilu among a few others did not sound good at all. I guess its extremely difficult trying to recreate the magic on those. And it was GREAT to see SPB back to form. Now that its over, which one was the best? 05 or 11?

*Song selections 2011 undoubtedly (Yaar thoorigai, seriously? :shock: )
*Vocal performances, 2005.
*Orchestra's performance - hard to pick. '11 had their stunning moments and not-so-great moments. '05 was consistently good I thought, but no peak moments like a idhayam pOguthE..
*Guest speeches - thought Kamal was good in '05, he was underwhelming in this concert. But Balki made one of the best speeches on Raja, EVER!
*Parthiban made it a little lively, but PrakashRaj was better. Was to the point and did not waste a single moment.

In the end, its hard for me to choose which one was better, but both can be repeated (already own the '05 VCD) multiple times.

venkkiram
19th January 2012, 10:36 PM
தற்போது மலிந்து வரும் இசையால், இசை விழிப்புணர்வால் ராஜா நிறையப் பேட்டிகளில் கோபமாக, காட்டமாக பேசியிருந்தாலும், பிரமிக்கவைக்கும் ஒரு விஷயம் அவர் இழக்காமலிருக்கும் குழந்தைத்தனம் மற்றும் நகைச்சுவை உணர்வு. வயதாக வயதாக பொதுவாக இழந்துவரும் இரு குணங்கள் இது இரண்டும்தான். "வஞ்சிக்கோட்டை வாலிபன், தலை glare அடிக்குது பாருங்கள்" என வாத்தியக்காரரை கிண்டல் அடிப்பதாகட்டும், கவிஞர் துப்புறது சிச்சுவேஷனுக்கா! எனவும் அதிசயப்படுவதாகட்டும், பெயர்களை வைத்துக்கொண்டு இந்த சின்னக் கண்ணன் அந்த சின்னக் கண்ணனை பாட அழைக்கிறான் என்பதில் அடையும் சந்தொஷமாகட்டும், "சீ-கை" என்ற வார்த்தை ஜாலமாகட்டும்.. பாலுவின் improvise- ஐ கண்டு ஒரு குழந்தைப் போல வியப்பதிலாகட்டும்.. இத்தகைய குணங்கள் தான் ராஜாவை என்றுமே இசையில் இளைய-ராஜாவாக வைத்திருக்க உதவுகிறது என நினைக்கிறேன். கமல் பகிர்ந்துகொண்டதுபோல, "ராஜா என்றுமே ஒரு துக்கி அல்ல!" என்பதை இது போன்ற மேடைக் காட்சிகள் பறை சாற்றுகிறது.

Bala (Karthik)
19th January 2012, 11:12 PM
Caught up with the videos of the last day telecast last night. Perhaps the best day for singers. Even Reeta sounded good. SPB/KJY threw kaattukkuyilu out of the park. Such a delight watching them sing it. And thanks to KJY sir we got to listen to that stunning 2nd interlude of poovE sempoovE not twice but thrice. Fantastic! Not a particulary good day for the orchestra, relatively. Idhu oru nilakkaalam/Kattukkuyilu among a few others did not sound good at all. I guess its extremely difficult trying to recreate the magic on those. And it was GREAT to see SPB back to form. Now that its over, which one was the best? 05 or 11?

*Song selections 2011 undoubtedly (Yaar thoorigai, seriously? :shock: )
*Vocal performances, 2005.
*Orchestra's performance - hard to pick. '11 had their stunning moments and not-so-great moments. '05 was consistently good I thought, but no peak moments like a idhayam pOguthE..
*Guest speeches - thought Kamal was good in '05, he was underwhelming in this concert. But Balki made one of the best speeches on Raja, EVER!
*Parthiban made it a little lively, but PrakashRaj was better. Was to the point and did not waste a single moment.

In the end, its hard for me to choose which one was better, but both can be repeated (already own the '05 VCD) multiple times.
You spoke my mind! (Almost)
About Kamal's speech, i think the opposite - 2005 was OK but his 15 minute interview on Swamigal for this programme was fantastic. The edited version shown in Jaya TV has all the best parts snipped. Especially, the point he made about Raaja being *aware* of the difference between him and others - the way he says "andha thirama irundha thaan adhu theriyave seyyum!" (Plum, they way the man says this, this line and the ones before/after is seen to be believed, transcript ellaam potta velaikkavadhu)

I thought Balki's speech was high on rhetoric and effect but not quite nachu on content

Bala (Karthik)
19th January 2012, 11:15 PM
Kaattu Kuyilu was obviously good but I wish Daasettan and Swmigal had performed "Kadaloram Kadaloram" (Anandha Ragam)

BTW, Dasettan was an absolute delight - i don't give a damn about the misses and deviations from tune. :Respect: :notworthy:

Bala (Karthik)
19th January 2012, 11:17 PM
If there is ONE song i don't want anybody to touch/mess with in concerts (including the man himself and his orchestra), it is "Ilamai Idho Idho". Nevaire. Not done

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
19th January 2012, 11:32 PM
தற்போது மலிந்து வரும் இசையால், இசை விழிப்புணர்வால் ராஜா நிறையப் பேட்டிகளில் கோபமாக, காட்டமாக பேசியிருந்தாலும், பிரமிக்கவைக்கும் ஒரு விஷயம் அவர் இழக்காமலிருக்கும் குழந்தைத்தனம் மற்றும் நகைச்சுவை உணர்வு. வயதாக வயதாக பொதுவாக இழந்துவரும் இரு குணங்கள் இது இரண்டும்தான். "வஞ்சிக்கோட்டை வாலிபன், தலை glare அடிக்குது பாருங்கள்" என வாத்தியக்காரரை கிண்டல் அடிப்பதாகட்டும், கவிஞர் துப்புறது சிச்சுவேஷனுக்கா! எனவும் அதிசயப்படுவதாகட்டும், பெயர்களை வைத்துக்கொண்டு இந்த சின்னக் கண்ணன் அந்த சின்னக் கண்ணனை பாட அழைக்கிறான் என்பதில் அடையும் சந்தொஷமாகட்டும், "சீ-கை" என்ற வார்த்தை ஜாலமாகட்டும்.. பாலுவின் improvise- ஐ கண்டு ஒரு குழந்தைப் போல வியப்பதிலாகட்டும்.. இத்தகைய குணங்கள் தான் ராஜாவை என்றுமே இசையில் இளைய-ராஜாவாக வைத்திருக்க உதவுகிறது என நினைக்கிறேன். கமல் பகிர்ந்துகொண்டதுபோல, "ராஜா என்றுமே ஒரு துக்கி அல்ல!" என்பதை இது போன்ற மேடைக் காட்சிகள் பறை சாற்றுகிறது.

இத்தனை வருடங்களாக, இசையில் பல விஷயங்களை கடந்து வந்து இருக்கிறார். தொழில்நுட்பத்தை பார்த்து இவர் கொஞ்சமும் அசந்ததாக தெரியவில்லை. மாறாக, அதை எங்கு எப்படி பயன்படுத்தவேண்டும் என்ற ஞானம், சுட்டுப்போட்டாற்போல் இருக்கிறது.

விழாக்களில் கலந்துகொள்ளும்போது, நாட் சோ ஈசி மனிதர்களை எதிர்கொள்ளும்போதும், (உதாரணம் பாரதிராஜா) அவர்கள் லேசாக இவரை வாரும்போதும் சரி, எப்போதாவது நிருபர்கள் சீண்டும்போதும் கோபம் வருவதுபோல் கேள்வி கேட்டாலும், எந்த கணத்திலும் இவர் சற்றே துவண்டோ அசந்தோ போய் பார்த்ததில்லை.

சமீப காலமாக பல மேடைகளிலும் அளப்பரிய ஆனால் தொகுதிக்குட்பட்ட புகழ் முகஸ்துதியை எதிர்கொள்ளும்போதும் கூட, கொஞ்சமும் அசராத தடுமாறாத தெளிவு. நிஜத்தில், வசவை கூட நேரில் எதிர்கொண்டுவிடலாம், ராஜா அளவுக்கு புகழை எதிர்கொள்வதும் கையாள்வதும் சலனப்படாமல் இருப்பதும் மிகமிக கடினமானது.அந்த இடத்தில் நம்மை வைத்து யோசித்து பார்த்தால் புரியும்.

எல்லாவற்றிற்கும் மேலாக, இசையமைக்க இப்பவும் அதே அளவு நேரம் தான் எடுத்துக்கொள்கிறார். அதே வேகம். இத்தனை படங்களுக்கு பிறகும், கட்டாயம் பல முறை கேட்ட எதிர்கொண்ட அதே சிச்சுவேஷன்கள் கதைக்களங்கள், ஆனால் இதெல்லாம் கொஞ்சமும் இவருக்கு ஆர்வத்தை குறைக்கவில்லை. வேலையிலும் சரி கொஞ்சமும் சலிப்பும் அயர்ச்சியும், அதன் அறிகுறிகளும் தென்படுவதில்லை. பாடல்களிலும் பின்னணி இசையிலும் , இன்றும் புதுமையும் இனிமையும் குறைந்தபாடில்லை. இப்போது தான் மயிலு பாடல்கள் கேட்கிறேன், மிகவுமே பிடித்திருக்கிறது.

இந்தாளு மனுஷனே இல்லை, இவரைப்போல இன்னொரு மனுஷனும் எப்போதும் இல்லை இருக்கப்போவதுமில்லை.

venkkiram
19th January 2012, 11:42 PM
Kaattu Kuyilu was obviously good but I wish Daasettan and Swmigal had performed "Kadaloram Kadaloram" (Anandha Ragam)

நாட்டுப்புற மெட்டுக்களையெல்லாம் தொகுத்து அதற்கென ஒரு கச்சேரி வைக்கணும். அங்க இந்தப் பாடலையும் வைத்தால் ரத்தினப் பொருத்தமாக இருக்கும். "ஏசுதாஸ் - ராஜாவின் அரிதான கூட்டணி! ஹோய்" என்ற ஏசுதாசின் துள்ளலை ரசித்துக்கொண்டே இருக்கலாம்.

V_S
20th January 2012, 02:03 AM
venkki and skv,
Excellently written both of you. :clap: He is always young at heart and will remain as such and nothing can disturb him.

Nerd and Bala, Nice take on the show. I tool felt how come the same SPB and KJY were little tired and were not performing other songs well, but when it came to 'Kaattukuyilu', both blew everyone else out. Could not imagine it came from the same singers.

rooky
20th January 2012, 06:41 PM
The Concert was professionally and tastefully done by the team. The IR fan behind the concert showed. From the RAJA's music perungkadal, we had a cup (of songs). Keeps us longing for more.

Nerd
20th January 2012, 08:46 PM
I thought Balki's speech was high on rhetoric and effect but not quite nachu on content
'Effect' was what I liked the most about the speech. These kind of speeches should come once in a while. They would create an impact in 'Listening to Raja is uncool' crowd. Also I am so glad DSP/VA/Yuvan were there listening to it live :lol2: They dint show them on Jaya but I am sure they would have enjoyed the speech.

app_engine
20th January 2012, 10:30 PM
They dint show them on Jaya but I am sure they would have enjoyed the speech.

Actually, VA was focussed by the kuRumbu camera fellow when Balki was making that 'flick' statement...I felt bad for them, enna irundhAlum romba madhippOda vandhurukkiRa, adikkadi pEsuRa namma pasanga avunga :oops:

baroque
20th January 2012, 10:40 PM
yeah... Balki was cool, I enjoyed.
பால்கி, ideas கொடுக்காதீங்கோ, காபி/லிப்ட் அடிக்க. it is a joke, but still
they may sabotage Raja's output :twisted:

Nobody go near golden age musicals from earlier composers like Ilayaraja, MSV-TKR, S.D.B, Madhan Mohan, R.D.B etc.. to lift, rehash, rework, remix etc..

Harichandran sang sundhari neeyum.... nice.

poove sempoove... bgm work for couple of more time, We all must thank Shri.Yesudas and his sincere heart. He proved he is a legend.
That postlude always lure us back to composition, this time no exception.

Thalapathi... sundari kannal oru sedhi.... Bala was :musicsmile:
Hope he arrives San jose soon.

Thanks to Jaya TV for this wonderful program.
Please release in quality print DVDs, we buy some copies, lock one in the Bank locker safe.
ஸ்ரீ.பாலா, ஸ்ரீ.யேசுதாஸ், ஸ்ரீ. பாலமுரளிக்ருஷ்ணா performing in ஸ்ரீ.இளையராஜா's live concert innum oru murai paarkkamudiyumaa, theriyalai. Raja's thank you note was very moving.:(

vinatha.

Vinatha

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
20th January 2012, 10:48 PM
Actually, VA was focussed by the kuRumbu camera fellow when Balki was making that 'flick' statement...I felt bad for them, enna irundhAlum romba madhippOda vandhurukkiRa, adikkadi pEsuRa namma pasanga avunga :oops:

but, anyways they guys are on their own. not caught copying raja anytime. maybe international albums. so no issues. pasanga perusaa kastappattirukka maattaangannu nenaikkiren...

any other MDs, singers(who didnt sing on stage) attended? I saw Vijay Jesudas but he wud have come accompanying his dad

venkkiram
21st January 2012, 12:01 AM
but, anyways they guys are on their own. not caught copying raja anytime. maybe international albums. so no issues. pasanga perusaa kastappattirukka maattaangannu nenaikkiren...

any other MDs, singers(who didnt sing on stage) attended? I saw Vijay Jesudas but he wud have come accompanying his dad

James Vasandhan, Ramesh Vinayagam, T.L.Maharajan, Srilekha Parthasarathy ..

venkkiram
21st January 2012, 12:15 AM
James Vasandhan, Ramesh Vinayagam, T.L.Maharajan, Srilekha Parthasarathy ..

Forgot to mention Raagav. He scored music for Nanjupuram.

kiru
21st January 2012, 01:32 AM
venkki and skv,
Excellently written both of you. :clap: He is always young at heart and will remain as such and nothing can disturb him.

Yes..yes.. good observations by Venki (age/humor) and skv (technology etc).
I also noticed that rAja asked the audience ....did you like the sound of the orchestra ? or something to that effect. I think he likes big orchestral sounds and wanted to get some affirmation.. He is a good man .. we love our kids/wife/brothers/sisters/parents inspite of their faults/failings.. it is not difficult to love this man, I guess :-)

irir123
22nd January 2012, 08:22 PM
i have been sharing the IR concert with many of my musician friends here in the US! what surprised me was some of their comments / reactions to Sri Ramana Maharishi's picture at the beginning!!

comments ranged from
1. he has a beautiful smile
2. why is he wearing a diaper ?! -))
( I had to hastily explain its a kind of a loin cloth that most yogis in India wear having renounced all material objects in search of self-realization)

as for IR himself, one woman noted thus "did you see how the moment he started off with 'sivasakthi' in the first song, his eyes change ?? a different energy seems to flow through/from it !" - i was stupefied ! here is someone born and raised in the US, heavily drenched in music genres like pop, rock, heavy rock, country, as well as western classical and yet, she sees/perceives differing energy levels in IR's eyes !!

another comment : "so everyone else is singing / performing on stage - your man is just hanging out watching everyone else perform - what is he there for ??" - i hastily explained "he is the composer, who did all the stuff and he is there as both composer and conductor" - next time it would be nice if IR played the piano or the guitar - ppl in the west would rather watch an artist perform himself than just stand looking at his fellow artistes !!

last comment "dude, you act like a 5-year old out in disneyland whenever you get to talk abt this guy's music"!

well !

Sureshs65
22nd January 2012, 10:50 PM
irir123,

Nice to see you back. Been a while since you posted.

I can understand the 5 yr old comment :) LOL at the diaper comment and really surprised at the 'energy level' comment.

baroque
22nd January 2012, 11:58 PM
Ilayaraja sang in his concert. Raja did good.

Ilayaraja is neither (physically)young like Yuvan or A.R.Rahman
nor
the performing artists like Violin Kanyakumari or Ustad Shahid Parvez Khan or Pandit Hariprasadd Chaurasia to sit & play an instrument whole show for hrs together. That's what they do. They are used to it.

IR now and then performed in his show & enjoyed , directed, practiced for months together with energy & love, delivered fantastic live show.

He already menakkettu in his romba manakkashtamaana nerathil for us because he already committed himself to the program.

We hope he and his team will offer the live programsof this quality in future, adhukku avanga health and wealth idam tharanum.

Forget the west format.

Vinatha.

Bala (Karthik)
24th January 2012, 12:21 AM
I loved the way the audience were shown being in the zone for "Aayiram Thamarai Mottukkale" (saw a re-telecast show in Sun TV where Gangei Amaren recollects the Thiruvizha devotion song origins of this tune and how Raaja used it for an intense love song) :smokesmirk:
Nitpick is that the thump in the percussion was missing (The prelude was fine. I mean the "du du dum, du du dum" groove)

Bala (Karthik)
24th January 2012, 12:28 AM
<Possible unwarranted harsh fanboy reaction Alert>
The best comment from the celebs on the show was from Naresh Iyengar :lol2:
"Thanks Raaja sir for giving us good music" - Reminds me of that awesome youtube comment left in some Raaja video (Thumbi Vaa i think. Someone posted "it's a good song". The reply went like this (not verbatim):
"Oh, it's a good song? Then you must be either Bach or Mozart to reduce this song to merely a good song........"

app_engine
24th January 2012, 12:56 AM
Nitpick is that the thump in the percussion was missing (The prelude was fine. I mean the "du du dum, du du dum" groove)

+1

Same way, I couldn't sense the tremendous adi-dhadi drum sound that follows the chorus in the beginning of idhu oru nilAkkAlam prior to the guitar. (the "dat-dat-di-dadichchi-dum" cracker sound)...

I think rAsA had used too many types of drums / percussion instruments over the years & bringing them to this stage & getting the same sounds for this variety of songs would be near impossible...I felt the drum punch was missing in the first interlude of madai thiRandhu which took away some of my thrill...

kidaiththa varai lAbam :-)

Bala (Karthik)
24th January 2012, 01:10 AM
Napolean/Arunmozhi on flute, needs special mention. He is fighting an army of violinists single handedly :)
Superbly/interstingly put :thumbsup:

skr
25th January 2012, 12:40 AM
Check this out
A full youtube link of the entire concert spanning 4 hours
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2ZBE9WzxI4&feature=youtu.be

baroque
25th January 2012, 11:25 AM
skr & youtube host Thanks.:ty:

Ilayaraja the greatest!

Raja vaazhga!

vinatha.

agifinuqh
26th January 2012, 08:58 PM
Endrendum Raja Live in Concert - Part I - High quality video can be downloaded from:
Single Link:
http://www.filefactory.com/file/c19cfcb/n/ENRENDRUM_RAJA_Part_I_2012_Xvid_700MB_Uyirvani_com _avi

Split Links:
http://www.filefactory.com/file/c19cd5d/n/ENRENDRUM_RAJA_Part_I_2012_Xvid_700MB_Uyirvani_com _avi_001
http://www.filefactory.com/file/c19cfd4/n/ENRENDRUM_RAJA_Part_I_2012_Xvid_700MB_Uyirvani_com _avi_002
http://www.filefactory.com/file/c19cec8/n/ENRENDRUM_RAJA_Part_I_2012_Xvid_700MB_Uyirvani_com _avi_003

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
17th February 2012, 05:55 AM
The same guy who posted the entire program on a single youtube, he has also posted the past 2005 Concert in 4 parts. Just handy to keep his youtube profile page to reach both the concert - http://www.youtube.com/user/thomasruban

baroque
17th February 2012, 08:19 AM
Sakala,
thanks for the 2005 concert videos link.

cherish it man.

:ty:You tube host.

end of the Thursday evening, nammku isai virundhudhaan with the 4 links.

vinatha.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
23rd March 2012, 06:57 PM
Ilayaraja - One Man Show DVD - Raj Video Vision (http://600024.com/store/ilayaraja-one-man-show-dvd)

Price: Rs.190.00 FREE Shipping across India

naarayanan
8th May 2012, 07:16 PM
Seeing the trend, there are going to be many more live concerts. Shall we make it as "Live Concerts" thread.

Posting some NBW and HTNI live concert videos and photos..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl2n3VxhnvU

naarayanan
8th May 2012, 07:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeUwoW16bO4

This is an amateur attempt but i think the recent HTNI concert was also on the same lines... :)

naarayanan
9th May 2012, 12:16 AM
http://youtu.be/2VUi7jjh6jA

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
16th June 2012, 07:34 PM
hubber Kamesh Bavaratnam tweeted "How to name it" next to be held in coimbatore & bangalore

Bangalore, it will happen in September

tamizharasan
25th July 2012, 10:56 PM
Can we get the dvd for this concert anywhere?

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
26th July 2012, 01:22 AM
TA, scroll back few pages, a link shud be there

tamizharasan
26th July 2012, 01:31 AM
TA, scroll back few pages, a link shud be there

Thanks Sakala. Iwill try and find out.

naarayanan
14th August 2012, 06:45 PM
3 more concerts in the pipeline..

'be with me' on 20th august.. @ chennai trade centre, chennai

bengaluru ganesh utsav celebrations concert on 23 september @ national college grounds, bangalore

engeyum eppodhum on nov.3 @ toronto, canada.

KV
24th August 2012, 07:54 PM
It probably is a bit too late, but here are some of my comments on the ‘Be with me – Maestro’ program.
The program was a huge let-down for me for the expectations (quite naïve on my part in retrospect) that I had from it were totally different. The setup was nice - traditional welcome with naadhaswaram and thavil, AC hall almost packed, small orchestra on stage and all that, but beyond this, the idea and execution of the program was super sloppy. To begin with, the event management was a farce – not even the basics were addressed: no ticket checking (considering there were 5k, 10k denominations!) and no security checks (:shock:) (needless to say, secondary things like arrangement for water and snacks were pathetic).

The program (I frankly don’t know if Raaja had some other ideas and it eventually rolled out this way, or if he originally intended it to be this way) was disappointing but for a few exciting bits here and there. Enduring Bosky in the NBW concert was very difficult. Now imagine this guy teaming up with Parthiban and Vivek! :banghead: (To quote a paatti vachanam - kodumai kodumainu koilukku pOna, anga oru periya kodumai thalaiya virichu pOttu jingujingunu gudhichitu irundhuchaan!).

So, here we have Raaja, seated on a well planned dais (almost replicating his studio setup) with a haromonium and a 10 piece orchestra (complete with acoustic guitar, drums, bass among other instruments) keeping him company. Wouldn’t it be natural for anyone (fanO tubelightO, whoever) to expect something special? Alas, the god had different plans. He quite simply handed over the controls to bosky (obviously with a very anemic script for the show I imagine, because he was frequently referring to a ‘bittu’ paper). And what followed can probably be described best as ‘isai thalaivanukku paaraattu vizha’ (for aakarsh and other non-thamizh folks here: the erstwhile CM of TN had this narcissistic habit of organizing ‘self-pleasuring’ events on a lavish scale where a select few would sing paeans in his name; these shows went by the name ‘paasa thalaivanukku paaraattu vizha’). What then followed was a boring, drawn-out session replete with gaudy showers of praise on Raaja and many run-of-the-mill, blunt-knife-at-the-neck questions. The only redeeming factors were the video clips and Raaja on the guitar (a long pending dream of mine – was a tad disappointed to know he wasn’t in touch with playing it these days). The Marudhanaayagam song was a total surprise for me, not just in making an appearance in the show but musically too; I hadn’t, for a bit, imagined a folk/siththar song for the visuals (expect the unexpected when with Raaja many a time!). Another clip showing his Hungary jazz buddies playing a guitar lead section was also very nice (recently recorded for another new movie, we were told by a gentleman in the crowd). Rita and Haricharan sang a couple of songs and they were decently engaging. These 15-20 minutes are all that I will take from the 3 odd hours that the program ran for. The rest was all drivel. Raaja even admitted towards the end that he had other things to share but couldn’t on that day. Sad stuff. L

A note to all those who were involved in organizing (I don’t even want to use this word here) this show – We all love him and his music and we’ve expressed this in ample already. Please stop feeding us chaff and allow us to drink a bit of the real juice.( I’m not even complaining that I spent 1000 bucks on this show, for he has given me music and happiness all my life that is invaluable. I will be indebted to him forever).
In future, for any such programs, please select people who are decently well-informed about the man and his music. Think SPB, Guitar Prasanna, Mandolin Srinivas, Bombay Jayashree, Sivamani, Suka, Balu Mahendra and the likes. Like Wizzy had suggested, even having his own musicians speak about their musical experience and journey with him would be good. We need quality shows where such people can bounce off ideas from Raaja and engage him in interesting and meaningful dialog. If these shows are proving to be too expensive and impractical to organize, think TV programs or documentaries. We’d happily settle for that. Think of documentaries like ‘it might get loud’ (which we’d discussed in the Rock music thread some months back) and imagine Raaja with some quality musicians/artists in a similar setup. How lovely would that be? The man seems to be eager to share his musical knowledge and experience, but the right medium is not being setup. Not his fault alone; we all will have to partake in this guilt.

Well, I’ll probably stop here. A voice inside tells me I’ll have to stop taking life too seriously and go easy instead.

MumbaiRamki
24th August 2012, 08:11 PM
It probably.................................... The man seems to be eager to share his musical knowledge and experience, but the right medium is not being setup. Not his fault alone; we all will have to partake in this guilt.

Well, I’ll probably stop here. A voice inside tells me I’ll have to stop taking life too seriously and go easy instead.

KV , like these + FB comments were shared with KR . We will definetly have a better arrangement next time .

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
24th August 2012, 08:12 PM
IlaiyaraajaFans ‏@IlaiyaraajaFans
(https://twitter.com/IlaiyaraajaFans)
Ilaiyaraaja presents Musical Night-National College Grounds Basavanagudi, Bangalore Mob: 9590443016 Sun, Sep 23, 2012 ( 6:00 PM )

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
24th August 2012, 08:17 PM
KV , like these + FB comments were shared with KR . We will definetly have a better arrangement next time .

Ramki, Raja Sir Telling his experiences, i guess that can be done even by just giving some interview to any Magazines. Also, he can release his unreleased gems in youtube. I don't see any great deals here! But the interaction with his fans, answering many questions of us, only thats important.

And also allowing ppl like Vivek, Parthiban talk, its becoming like Tamilnadu State Assembly, full of non-stop Jalraas. Ivanga paaraatti thaan namma Rajavai pathi therinjikkaNumaa?!?

Music can happen to him without planning, but he plans logistics. He has a plan and according to that, he comes to Prasad at 6 AM, and likewise there is time and plan for everything.

Likewise, this event too shud be planned meticulously. Last show, I didn't attend, but from all the reports we got, i wonder what great thing it was offered.

KV
24th August 2012, 08:18 PM
nandri, Ramki.
periyathEvar to sakthi: ungala dhaana nambanum!

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
24th August 2012, 08:31 PM
Ilaiyaraaja presents Musical Night (http://www.mybangalore.com/events/ilaiyaraaja-presents-musical-night.html) at National College Grounds (http://www.mybangalore.com/events/search/v/?ven=National%20College%20Grounds)

http://www.mybangalore.com/events/ilaiyaraaja-presents-musical-night.html

Don't know if this is a ticketed event or open one!

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
24th August 2012, 08:35 PM
KV, attend panna neengalum happy illai! Vedikka paatha naanum happy illai! Hope lots of planning goes to the future editions! MumbaiRamki, now that majority of us opines with -ve feedback, we can discuss actually what we expect and then you can as usual Filter and present them to KR.

Naama solrathai thaan seyyaNumnu illai, they can plan themselves, as its their program. But planning nnu onnu irukkaNum!

app_engine
24th August 2012, 08:52 PM
Mumbai Ramki,
I may sound rude but just a pAmara thought, based entirely on hub posts / reviews - that KR shouldn't be doing this or even getting involved in this.

He may be a music wizard, inheriting it from IR. That doesn't mean he is otherwise capable, especially as a program manager / organizer. His career seems to suggest some of his incapabilities in that area. The respect he commands in general (media / industry etc) is quite suspect.

He should recognize that and TOTALLY get out of this business - may be limit to only enjoying some proceeds out of it.

Too much dilution of IR brand IMO - a brand that could be properly marketed by some professional agencies to great rewards. See how Gautam is doing with just bits and pieces of Maestro's output.

Just imagine letting a similar program managed by, say, a TV network like Sun/Jaya/Vijay...

MumbaiRamki
24th August 2012, 09:23 PM
app_engine

I don't want to comment on someone else capability based on a show and its feedback or even otherwise -> Im not here to conduct the appraisals :)
Like you , i also wished Raaja sir to interact more with musicians , speak more about music , the surprises , play music , explain the beauty -> that was what originally planned, as far as i know . But it didn't happen as much as we wished. This is a unique show and probably the next show will be what you wished.

Sakalakala ,

Who am i to filter sir ? Im just a postman . - i put it in a way that doesn't hurt them,but make my point , be it KR , the organisers or anyone . In the few hours i interacted with him, i found KR very warm, down to earth and with very strong individual opinions and convinctions. Wonderful person , he is :)

Plum
24th August 2012, 11:47 PM
MR - nAnum apdi thAn KR paththi kELvi padaREn. indha programku kooda my KR contact invite paNNAr. (Seems he has talked to KR about me and wanted to introduce). indha muRai poga mudiyala.

ravinat
26th August 2012, 09:55 PM
I had been to a local music show in Toronto yesterday and they announced Raja's concert here in Toronto on Nov 3 at Rogers center. There was a video clip of Raja confirming that he is showing up here on Nov 13.

http://www.trinityeventsonline.com/

suresh
27th August 2012, 12:57 AM
KV,
You spoke my mind, I was just so disappointed with this event but you know sometimes one doesn't voice an opinion just so some sensitive friends don't get offended. But if there's some sort of feedback channel capable of taking some of the chatter to KR or someone who matters in Raaja's mysterious scheme of things, why not try right? Ok, I'll try and bullet-point it so I can keep this short.

1 Someone pls tell KR or the family, or Raaja's coterie, that 4 guys in blazers DO NOT mean professional event organisers. These were strictly wannaBEEs (pardon the pun), who were strutting around thinking they'd pulled off a Broadway coup just by showing up with 6 gymboys in black and a few college girls decked in saree and flowers for props sake. Short point - if you don't know how to organise or how to spot a decent organiser, pick the phone and call someone tuned in to today's event management circuit - atleast Gautham Menon.

2 Stop Bhavatharini from assaulting 'Janani Janani' again, I am tempted to file a restraining suit on this. She must be thinking this is family property for her to toss around as she likes, but I have been watching the last 3 shows and it has been going rapidly downhill. And to think Haricharan and the likes are playing chorus!

3 What's this with Bosskey? I mean, I can only think that these guys must be so contemptous of the loyal IR audience to treat it with such a cavalier attitude? Doesn't Raaja, who sets high standards (claimedly) in his interaction with others, see this dumbing-down of the event for what it is?

4 Parthiban, Vivek, Na Mu, Pazhanibharathi - collectively these guys monopolized more than half the show; worser still, Raaja seems to be indulgent of their fanboy comments that were so juvenile, I wished I was watching Manada Mayilada instead. These fairly jobless (save for Na Mu who's scraping by) gentlemen need to be bound and gagged the next time an IR show is on.

5 The questions were, let me be polite, so lame and pedestrian barring a couple - did KR indeed select these personally?

6 The Paa RR and quite a few segments were rehashed from earlier shows, so another 30 mins wasted.

7 The sound guys can't be fit to set up loudspeakers for a Mariamman thiruvizha pandhal, continued to be poor right through the show. Atleast can't fault them for consistency.

8 Raaja says that he means to interact with his fans more, but please, he needs to understand that the average IR fan like me will continue to spend (such high ticket rates, but no seating plan, ticket nos..) time and money despite serious misgivings, but he's letting many discerning music loyalists rue their decision. It is not alright to wave an excuse that he doesn't understand marketing, but still price tickets so high for what was a performance that essentially lasted just about 1 hour (the rest was, well, *&%@#$!). Again, if the intent of the show was to launch "ilayathalam", what was the need to be so secretive about it?

9 They had Balu Mahendra sitting right there - these guys couldn't think of asking him to discuss with Raaja the making of any of their epic songs, but had all the time for Parthiban and Vivek's monkey chatter?

10 If, as Bosskey claimed, the show had no pre-decided format and was basically meant to be a freewheeling Raaja show, part lec-dem, then they better spend atleast a few hours on brainstorming atleast 6 key segments that they could structure a 3-hour show around. My friend says he'd rather spend his money on a Thursday evening at Black & White to get his fix of Raaja nostalgia (besides other poison). As for me, I’m a sucker for even a 1-min Raaja alaap, so I’ve lined up my dear friend Rajasaranam for Sept 1.

I'm not stopping because 10 is a good number to round off, but for concern that I may offend someone the more this goes on. Ok, just one last jibe, what's with this 'Ilayathalam' business? Anyone smell an Emu scam? You pay 5000 to get straight to KR and Bhava judging you on shruthi and bhavam? Please someone tell me this is a joke?

If someone here has access to KR, please tell him there’s something called ‘brand salience’ and even though the Raaja brand is strong enough to withstand such trauma, there’s a better way of squeezing those golden eggs out. I offer to consult for free.

MumbaiRamki
27th August 2012, 07:29 AM
KV,
You spoke my mind, I was just so disappointed .......................................As for me, I’m a sucker for even a 1-min Raaja alaap, so I’ve lined up my dear friend Rajasaranam for Sept 1.

Suresh, Any ideas of what you would like to see on such shows ?

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
27th August 2012, 09:36 AM
Quoting the whole post to show that i agree fully, I agree with all of this, X % (Fill X with any number higher than 200 )

KV,
You spoke my mind, I was just so disappointed with this event but you know sometimes one doesn't voice an opinion just so some sensitive friends don't get offended. But if there's some sort of feedback channel capable of taking some of the chatter to KR or someone who matters in Raaja's mysterious scheme of things, why not try right? Ok, I'll try and bullet-point it so I can keep this short.

1 Someone pls tell KR or the family, or Raaja's coterie, that 4 guys in blazers DO NOT mean professional event organisers. These were strictly wannaBEEs (pardon the pun), who were strutting around thinking they'd pulled off a Broadway coup just by showing up with 6 gymboys in black and a few college girls decked in saree and flowers for props sake. Short point - if you don't know how to organise or how to spot a decent organiser, pick the phone and call someone tuned in to today's event management circuit - atleast Gautham Menon.

2 Stop Bhavatharini from assaulting 'Janani Janani' again, I am tempted to file a restraining suit on this. She must be thinking this is family property for her to toss around as she likes, but I have been watching the last 3 shows and it has been going rapidly downhill. And to think Haricharan and the likes are playing chorus!

3 What's this with Bosskey? I mean, I can only think that these guys must be so contemptous of the loyal IR audience to treat it with such a cavalier attitude? Doesn't Raaja, who sets high standards (claimedly) in his interaction with others, see this dumbing-down of the event for what it is?

4 Parthiban, Vivek, Na Mu, Pazhanibharathi - collectively these guys monopolized more than half the show; worser still, Raaja seems to be indulgent of their fanboy comments that were so juvenile, I wished I was watching Manada Mayilada instead. These fairly jobless (save for Na Mu who's scraping by) gentlemen need to be bound and gagged the next time an IR show is on.

5 The questions were, let me be polite, so lame and pedestrian barring a couple - did KR indeed select these personally?

6 The Paa RR and quite a few segments were rehashed from earlier shows, so another 30 mins wasted.

7 The sound guys can't be fit to set up loudspeakers for a Mariamman thiruvizha pandhal, continued to be poor right through the show. Atleast can't fault them for consistency.

8 Raaja says that he means to interact with his fans more, but please, he needs to understand that the average IR fan like me will continue to spend (such high ticket rates, but no seating plan, ticket nos..) time and money despite serious misgivings, but he's letting many discerning music loyalists rue their decision. It is not alright to wave an excuse that he doesn't understand marketing, but still price tickets so high for what was a performance that essentially lasted just about 1 hour (the rest was, well, *&%@#$!). Again, if the intent of the show was to launch "ilayathalam", what was the need to be so secretive about it?

9 They had Balu Mahendra sitting right there - these guys couldn't think of asking him to discuss with Raaja the making of any of their epic songs, but had all the time for Parthiban and Vivek's monkey chatter?

10 If, as Bosskey claimed, the show had no pre-decided format and was basically meant to be a freewheeling Raaja show, part lec-dem, then they better spend atleast a few hours on brainstorming atleast 6 key segments that they could structure a 3-hour show around. My friend says he'd rather spend his money on a Thursday evening at Black & White to get his fix of Raaja nostalgia (besides other poison). As for me, I’m a sucker for even a 1-min Raaja alaap, so I’ve lined up my dear friend Rajasaranam for Sept 1.

I'm not stopping because 10 is a good number to round off, but for concern that I may offend someone the more this goes on. Ok, just one last jibe, what's with this 'Ilayathalam' business? Anyone smell an Emu scam? You pay 5000 to get straight to KR and Bhava judging you on shruthi and bhavam? Please someone tell me this is a joke?

If someone here has access to KR, please tell him there’s something called ‘brand salience’ and even though the Raaja brand is strong enough to withstand such trauma, there’s a better way of squeezing those golden eggs out. I offer to consult for free.

kameshratnam
27th August 2012, 09:57 AM
Suresh, Any ideas of what you would like to see on such shows ?

1. Make it a realistic show. Most of the anecdotes shared by IR on that day was known to many people.

2. Please have fans interact with him than these celebrities. I thought the questions were rigged and those questions which could not irk IR were only asked. There are many youngsters whom i see and who have good technical knowledge of music who should be asked to interact with IR

3. PLEASE DONT ASK IR HOW HE COMPOSED A SONG!!!! He has million times told that when he finds that he will stop composing.

Is even Karthik Raaja going to listen to this .... I am sure not. It is a futile exercise to even tell him our feedback.

Take it from me, if karthik raaja is willing i have 10 ideas with me. I dont want money or recognition. Let him take everything. BUT HE SHOULD LISTEN TO US AND IMPLEMENT IT

The family has out because of the JALRA group . Let them come out of it for good

Gregorysab
27th August 2012, 01:39 PM
Maestro performing in Hyderabad (for the 1st time, as far as I know): http://in.bookmyshow.com/booktickets/?cid=BTSE&eid=ET00010780&sid=10056&ety=EV

MumbaiRamki
28th August 2012, 12:06 AM
1. Make it a realistic show. Most of the anecdotes shared by IR on that day was known to many people.

2. Please have fans interact with him than these celebrities. I thought the questions were rigged and those questions which could not irk IR were only asked. There are many youngsters whom i see and who have good technical knowledge of music who should be asked to interact with IR

3. PLEASE DONT ASK IR HOW HE COMPOSED A SONG!!!! He has million times told that when he finds that he will stop composing.

Is even Karthik Raaja going to listen to this .... I am sure not. It is a futile exercise to even tell him our feedback.

Take it from me, if karthik raaja is willing i have 10 ideas with me. I dont want money or recognition. Let him take everything. BUT HE SHOULD LISTEN TO US AND IMPLEMENT IT

The family has out because of the JALRA group . Let them come out of it for good

Kamesh ->some points .

-> The audience who came , am not sure how many people are like 'us' - i mean how many read his books, hear his interviews and are familar - while we were standing outside, i noticed many of them were ignorant about certain things which we know by heart . And when he completed the example " thamarai malaril" , there was a heavy applause then , which means that some of them didnt know these ( Yes - you and me know this by heart and the next example of Sundari kannal )

-> I too agree that celeberities should be less allowed in such shows . But there is a danger in allowing fans ask directly . Some kind of filter is required . A question like " why is your market gone down after ARR has come ? ' is something even i cannot digest . I don't know if anybody will ask , but am saying even 1 insensitive question may upset him. Yes , the questions were chosen such that it doesnt irk him - but even in that , i feel there were so many questions that could have been asked, but somehow was not.

->Yes . How he composed a song should not be asked . No one can explain that !!

Other things , nothing to comment on conclusions & judgements - its one's own right :)

KV
28th August 2012, 12:19 AM
suresh... puttu puttu keepings! :clap:

"1 Someone pls tell KR or the family, or Raaja's coterie, that 4 guys in blazers DO NOT mean professional event organisers. These were strictly wannaBEEs (pardon the pun), who were strutting around thinking they'd pulled off a Broadway coup just by showing up with 6 gymboys in black and a few college girls decked in saree and flowers for props sake. Short point - if you don't know how to organise or how to spot a decent organiser, pick the phone and call someone tuned in to today's event management circuit - atleast Gautham Menon."

:lol: absolutely'nga! :exactly:

sivasub
28th August 2012, 08:58 AM
Maestro performing in Hyderabad (for the 1st time, as far as I know): http://in.bookmyshow.com/booktickets/?cid=BTSE&eid=ET00010780&sid=10056&ety=EV

Thanks. Bought tickets for this. If it is his first time, it's my first time too ...:). At least I have something common with him

suresh
29th August 2012, 12:16 AM
Thanks SKV, KV...
Mumbai Ramki, nice of you to ask. I saw you when you came up to say hi to RS before the show, so I can fix a face to the name :)

I'm sceptical that anything concrete will come out of our discussion here; too many vested interests involved, incl his family. And Raaja complicates it further, being the person he is. This is not to discourage you, just that one grows cynical with age (been debating, futilely if I may add, similar issues even in the late 90s at erstwhile tfmpage). If you think there's still some hope, pls PM me and we can discuss this elsewhere.

skr
29th August 2012, 01:44 PM
Buy NEPV tickets here
http://www.ticketnew.com/OnlineTheatre/Theatre/BookingPage.aspx?eventselected=MzA4Nw%3D%3D-QZwhM+GZmf8%3D

Only 500 Rs ticket and you get a CD and a poster signed by Raaja apart from attending the audio launch ..Its a good deal.

Gregorysab
29th August 2012, 01:54 PM
Hyderabad concert is cancelled :banghead::idontgetit::curse::angry2::banghead:

San_K
29th August 2012, 01:55 PM
Buy NEPV tickets here
http://www.ticketnew.com/OnlineTheatre/Theatre/BookingPage.aspx?eventselected=MzA4Nw%3D%3D-QZwhM+GZmf8%3D

Only 500 Rs ticket and you get a CD and a poster signed by Raaja apart from attending the audio launch ..Its a good deal.

intha ideava thaan naan appave sonnen :)

Plum
29th August 2012, 09:51 PM
suresh - are you the poove poochadavaa suresh, if you see what I mean. If you don't, ignore. romba nALA orutharai thEdikittirukkEn

p
29th August 2012, 10:53 PM
suresh - are you the poove poochadavaa suresh, if you see what I mean. If you don't, ignore. romba nALA orutharai thEdikittirukkEn

I have the same question. (one of the best pieces written in this forum)

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
30th August 2012, 12:23 AM
Neethaane En Ponvasantham - Music - Audio CD (Pre-Order and get a chance to win Passes for the Grand Audio Launch Event ) (http://www.flipkart.com/neethaane-ponvasantham-music/p/itmdcmnxwgptfucd?pid=AVMDCMNHBRGRVVKH) :)

raajarasigan
30th August 2012, 09:55 AM
hey baby!! passes vAngittiyA? Book panniyAchu!! varumnu nambaren :-)

Gregorysab
30th August 2012, 12:24 PM
I can never forgive the people responsible for the cancellation of the show in Hyderabad :curse:

KV
30th August 2012, 12:31 PM
I can never forgive the people responsible for the cancellation of the show in Hyderabad :curse:

haha! Did they at least have the courtesy to publish an apology and the reason for the late cancellation? And a repeat question - can't the telugu version be ordered online via flipkart or any other site? Any idea about this, aakarsh?

wizzy
30th August 2012, 12:49 PM
^ordered one :mrgreen:

http://www.flipkart.com/yeto-vellipoyindhi-manasu-music/p/itmdcrfemkay8hyg?pid=AVMDCRYXGE5WCEZH&ref=9a113408-b3b7-4cc7-8378-983b352421d3

naarayanan
1st September 2012, 08:47 PM
live on radio mirchi....

saindhu saindhu.... raja on the harmonium with thananana thathakaram..

raja kalachifies yuvan.. :)

yuvan and ramya on stage.... nsk's grand daughter...

Gregorysab
2nd September 2012, 07:41 PM
haha! Did they at least have the courtesy to publish an apology and the reason for the late cancellation? And a repeat question - can't the telugu version be ordered online via flipkart or any other site? Any idea about this, aakarsh?

They tweeted about cancelation quite late, after the news broke out. They said there could be another event in near future. Very vague.

Telugu version is there on flipkart - both for buying physical cd as well as on flyte (mp3s).