View Full Version : Your Favorite War Movies

Mahavir
18th December 2011, 04:42 AM
What are your favorite war movies? Mine are:

Saving Private Ryan
Wind Talker
Breast Fortress
Tora Tora Tora

Please have a look on my reviews of the war movies at:http://jainismus.hubpages.com/hub/My-favorite-War-Movies

RR
18th December 2011, 01:11 PM
Hurt Locker - a real but different war movie experience

groucho070
18th December 2011, 02:27 PM
Apocalypse Now, in my top ten. Actually its not even a war movie. It's a movie about ginormoustest ego of Francis Ford Coppola and Brando's bald head. And its awesome.

KV
18th December 2011, 03:24 PM
Apocalypse Now Redux (yet to see the original)
Underground
Full metal jacket
Paths of glory
Schindler's List
Dr. Strangelove

ajithfederer
18th December 2011, 03:42 PM
THE WHAT ??? :lol:

Breast Fortress

kid-glove
18th December 2011, 03:49 PM
"Come and see" the war.

kubrick
19th December 2011, 12:04 AM
Ivan's Childhood
Hotel Rwanda
No man's Land
Paths of Glory
Downfall
Life Is Beautiful
Deer hunter

groucho070
19th December 2011, 08:03 AM
[COLOR=#333333]Apocalypse Now Redux (yet to see the original)
If you see this first, you may not like the original cut. I prefer the original, shorter and Brando looks more mysterious, then the all too revealing scene of him reading of the paper in Redux.

KV
19th December 2011, 10:55 AM
"Come and see" the war.
i think this should rank among the most disturbing movies i've seen so far. Puts you there, right in the middle of the tragedy.
(that too, I'd had a bad day at work, returned home mighty pissed and starting watching this, jeeesh, appidiye kittathatta paithyam pudichirchu)

KV
19th December 2011, 10:59 AM
If you see this first, you may not like the original cut. I prefer the original, shorter and Brando looks more mysterious, then the all too revealing scene of him reading of the paper in Redux.
yeah, i've been told this before, which is one of the reasons i'm not really keen on watching the original, because i like brando's portion here, his half-lit face, his voice when he reads the poetry, the frenzied happenings outside as he reads... perfectly sets one up for the thing to come next.

groucho070
19th December 2011, 11:11 AM
Off my head good war films

A Bridge Too Far
The Longest War
12 O'Clock High (Peck's Best Actor award)
Pork Chop Hill
Paths of Glory (of course)
Dr. Strangelove (duh)
Full Metal Jacket (completes Kubrick trio)
Never So Few (Sinatra with weird beard, McQueen stole the show)
The Sand Pebbles (McQueen's only nomination)
Platoon

Adventure/Drama with war background.
Stalaq 17
Bridge On The River Kwai
The Great Escape
The Guns of Navarone (and its sequel, yes sequel)
Kelly's Heroes
Heartbreak Ridge (most awesome Eastwood one-liners ever)
Where Eagles Dare
The Eagle has landed
Three Kings (kinda remake of Kelly)
The Young Lions (Clift = awesome, brando = suck)
M*A*S*H

Might have missed out some, and yes, not too fond of Spielberg's war films.

kid-glove
19th December 2011, 12:58 PM
Apocalypse Now, in my top ten. Actually its not even a war movie. It's a movie about ginormoustest ego of Francis Ford Coppola and Brando's bald head. And its awesome.

In deed.

Much like 'The Deer Hunter' is about the hunter and not the deer, yet masquerading that the deer poses the sickening danger & violence. It turns problematic.

Sid_316
19th December 2011, 01:15 PM
Come and see was disturbing for me.. FMJ and paths of glory.

Drama with war background - Pianist was kood

KV
19th December 2011, 04:32 PM
Some more:
Thin Red Line - very distinct style, Mallick visionE thani.
Fateless

Any good Indian war films? Sivan's Terrorist, to some extent, but that wouldn't exactly fit under 'war', will it?

kid-glove
19th December 2011, 04:48 PM
Is 'Star Wars' counted?

groucho070
20th December 2011, 08:33 AM
kuruppA vanthu sanda pOttangganA athu War (reminds me of Sivakumar echarippufying Sathyaraj in Malabar Police, "warrr, unakkum enakkum warrrr" - (an ex-bad guy, Sathyaraj would have had sleepless night laughing his ass off).

groucho070
20th December 2011, 08:39 AM
Missed out Thin Red Line.

Indian war film? Hmm...VPK has some interesting scenes, Karnan - both can be categorise as Drama with war background. MGR had his share, very big, but ellAm childhoodla pArthathu, NadOdi Mannan, Arasakattalai, Adimai Penn all had war background?

hamid
20th December 2011, 10:18 AM
Casablanca, Hotel Rwanda, Schindler's List, The Pianist
Troy, Gladiator,

VENKIRAJA
20th December 2011, 11:22 AM
Grave of the fireflies. :notworthy:

groucho070
20th December 2011, 11:37 AM
Casablanca, Hotel Rwanda, Schindler's List, The Pianist
Troy, Gladiator,Then, I have to bring in Ben Hur, Ten Commandments, EL Cid (or any historical/epic Heston pix you can think of). Hey, anyone for the first Dirty Dozen?

hamid
20th December 2011, 12:04 PM
Is that a warning Grouch :lol:
The movies in the first line are for portraying the effects/pains of the war and its after-effects in political/social ground..(ah..How did I miss Life is Beautiful..add that to list)
Gladiator and Troy are my favourites for showing the actual war scenes.. sandilyan kathai maathiri.. while the ones mentioned before are like Kalki's :D

groucho070
20th December 2011, 12:09 PM
Sorry emotional Agitten :smile: Take out the two, keep EL Cid, which has genuine war moments. Ten Commandment = Karnan, more mythology than war. So's Ben Hur, I'd say.

How about Spartacus? Kubrick's reluctant Sandal/Toga epic featuring the most wooden performance ever from Kirk? The rest of the film is good (including Olivier asking if Tony Curtis likes Snail or Oyster :lol2:)

Death Note
23rd December 2011, 03:33 AM
Jarhead- What modern warfare is really like. Loved it!!
The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas- Was nearly in tears at the end.