PDA

View Full Version : The Hub hacked!

RR
12th November 2011, 12:54 PM
Dear Hubbers

The Hub was hacked on Tuesday 8 November 2011 evening by some miscreants who, unable to handle civil iscussions, attacked in the most cowardly manner. We took the forums down to facilitate investigations by the cyber crime unit and we thank you for your patience. The investigations were completed yesterday, and now we have all the findings relating to the episode including all the culprits involved, the exact technique used, the entire trail of hacking steps and all evidences. The relevant authorities have been alerted with the details and legal proceedings initiated. In the meantime, we have placed several security measures to guard against similar happenings in future.

Many of you contacted us and expressed your unflinching support to us and who expressed disgust at the activities of the hackers. Thanks to all for your support and understanding.

We have recovered almost all threads/posts as of Nov 8 2011, except those posted after about 3PM IST. Otherwise everything should work as usual. If you face any problems or have any comments, pls pm/email me. Thanks again!

sathya_1979
12th November 2011, 01:01 PM
Thanks RR!

BM
12th November 2011, 01:23 PM
Thanks RR and NOV.

groucho070
12th November 2011, 01:25 PM
Thanks RR & NOV, update us on the action taken on the culprits.

NOV
12th November 2011, 01:27 PM
:bow: to all Hubbers....
We are deeply indebted and grateful to the scores of people who messaged, chatted, emailed and even called all the way from India, asking for details.
Thank you for your love and care :bow:

Some experienced withdrawal symptoms, while others felt helpless and unable to do anything.
Some, like me, took many naps. :D

Pras
12th November 2011, 01:34 PM
welcome back ;)

kid-glove
12th November 2011, 01:36 PM
Great work RR & co. :clap:

joe
12th November 2011, 01:37 PM
Thanks RR .

Mahen
12th November 2011, 01:46 PM
Thanks RR and Nov :clap:

19thmay
12th November 2011, 01:53 PM
Thank you very much!

Bala (Karthik)
12th November 2011, 02:12 PM
RR and NOV :thumbsup:

ajaybaskar
12th November 2011, 02:17 PM
:thumbsup:

Bala (Karthik)
12th November 2011, 02:19 PM
Some experienced withdrawal symptoms
:lol: :auu:

Actually I thought it was normal maintenance. K_G dhaan chat la sonnaaru

interz
12th November 2011, 02:32 PM
Good to read its back. Good job mods. I also thought it was some maintenance upgrade, untill yesterday.

omega
12th November 2011, 03:04 PM
Great job RR & Nov....

Siv.S
12th November 2011, 03:05 PM
RR and NOV :ty: :thumbsup:

Dinesh84
12th November 2011, 03:06 PM
:thumbsup: RR & Nov

Balaji.r
12th November 2011, 03:09 PM
Good :thumbsup:

San_K
12th November 2011, 03:23 PM
Good job. Really we missed Hub :thumbsup:

hamid
12th November 2011, 03:24 PM
oh..ivvalo nadanthirukka? good job mods.. if possible update us regarding the things which has happened and who did it..

satissh_r
12th November 2011, 03:46 PM
Great to see the forum back :) Thanks and well done to all involved!

Sid_316
12th November 2011, 04:21 PM
Thanks RR and NOV :thumbsup:

rsubras
12th November 2011, 04:23 PM
welcome back :)

only when the hub was down realized how much I missed it :)

Plum
12th November 2011, 04:45 PM
Thanks RR, NOV and everyone running the HUB. UngaL sEvai engaLukku thEvai.
miscreants, unable to handle civil discussionsavaingaLA? :shock:

Sudarshan C R
12th November 2011, 04:46 PM
Well done RR and Team!!! Happy to see the hub board again!

Plum
12th November 2011, 04:48 PM
Times like this make my decision to skip this generation of social networking tools - and I have been telling myself for 10 years that I will join the next wave of social networking tools - look foolish. Pacebook, tuyitterlaam epdi join paNNanum solli kudungappA!

Bala (Karthik)
12th November 2011, 05:10 PM
.avaingaLA? :shock:
Enakkum adhe shock dhaan :lol:

Sid_316
12th November 2011, 05:15 PM

Avainga nariya vidham.. :D It has happend in orkut too.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
12th November 2011, 05:21 PM
The 2nd day the hub got inactive, then itself, i guessed if this was due to the 2 dangerous anti-internet elements who got banned(becos of highly 'decent' posts they posted towards me and Bala(Karthik) ). So it was no surprise to me. One guy had his location as UK. That strengthened my doubt.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
12th November 2011, 05:24 PM
NOV, antha miscreants oda e-mail id irukkum illaiyaa! ahtai thaanga! naanga chummaa veLuthu katturom! mavane hub auyaa hack panreenga! Vaadaa vaadaa vaada, thairiyam irunthaa en area vukku, en theruvukku, en veettukku vaadaa! :lol:

Plum
12th November 2011, 05:42 PM
RR, NOv: deeply appreciate your commitment to civilness, and courageous weeding out of graceless, senseless miscreants. Kalagam nanmaiyil mudindadhu endrE eNNugiREn - I believe laws are stringent in UK - indha hub-in asif, amir, butt-gaLai legal system dhandiththAl migavum nandrAga irukkum...

KCSHEKAR
12th November 2011, 05:49 PM
Thanks Mr.RR & Mr.Nov for your great effort

madhu
12th November 2011, 05:59 PM
just want to say glux glux glux

littlemaster1982
12th November 2011, 06:01 PM
8-) 8-)

kid-glove
12th November 2011, 06:28 PM

Enakkum thaan.

As I said, this forum deserves a better class of hackers.

http://lazyoptimist.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/why-so-serious.jpeg

Sunil_M88
12th November 2011, 06:30 PM
Really appreciate those who were involved in restoring our Mayyam. RR/NOV other admins - I can't thank you lot enough :clap: I had withdrawal symptoms :P

ajithfederer
12th November 2011, 06:32 PM
:rotfl:
Absolutely bro. +1.

Enakkum thaan.

As I said, this forum deserves a better class of hackers.

http://lazyoptimist.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/why-so-serious.jpeg

Sid_316
12th November 2011, 06:38 PM
Lol true :lol2:

Nerd
12th November 2011, 06:54 PM
Some experienced withdrawal symptoms, while others felt helpless and unable to do anything.

:lol: naanga paaththa padaththai paththiyellaam vera enga post pannradhu :huh:

Sakala, yaar andha kurippitta two? Pls. PM.

Murali Srinivas
12th November 2011, 06:57 PM
Thanks RR for all the efforts you took to restore.

Thanks NOV for your status updates in FB assuring that everything would be fine.

Just as Subras mentioned, realised how much we miss the hub when it was down.

Regards

Plum, ungalukku office-la pozhudhe poyirukkaadhe!

Thirumaran
12th November 2011, 06:57 PM
Great Job RR and NOV :thumbsup: After lm called only i know mod's id's were hacked and after that hub.. Great to see the actions again :p

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
12th November 2011, 07:03 PM
Nov said, some showed signs of withdrawing etc... I am sure they wud have not! Seeing the posts, even tho Nerd puts in a funny tone, hub is ALSO a place for all of us to do and know useful things :thumbsup: some good effect thru hub, to everyone;s life... Hub Rocks!

Plum
12th November 2011, 07:04 PM
Murali, nIngaLumA? :lol:. IngE ennaiya oru manager thuvaichu edukkaRan, nambungappA. Sila samayam, andha kaduppula dhaan ingE sikkuRa sila meengaLai nAn thuvaichu edukkaRen ;-)

aanaa
12th November 2011, 07:08 PM
Thank you for bringing back the hub soon

NOV
12th November 2011, 07:14 PM
Nov said, some showed signs of withdrawing etc... no, no ... you misunderstand... I said some showed withdrawal symptoms, like how a drug addict would be when denied drugs. :)

Thanks everyone once again; we are humbled by your show of affection. :bow:

Bala (Karthik)
12th November 2011, 07:14 PM
Sakala
NOV meant withdrawal symptoms, not signs of withdrawing

Nerd
12th November 2011, 07:17 PM
Yov sakala yenyaa? I wasn't making fun of NOV's statement/hub. That was said in jest.

Btw, andha thread pakkam ponaa ellaam banned hubbersaa irukku...

littlemaster1982
12th November 2011, 07:17 PM
Great job RR :thumbsup:

:lol: naanga paaththa padaththai paththiyellaam vera enga post pannradhu :huh:

:lol:

raagadevan
12th November 2011, 07:23 PM
Thank you RR, vElan and all the others instrumental in reviving the hub! :) Having experienced some of the withdrawal symptoms myself, I now appreciate the role the hub plays in the daily lives of many people even when they are not regular posters/participants!

Shakthiprabha
12th November 2011, 07:34 PM
Great job restoring the hub back! thankyou mods.
Not having hub did not makie any difference to me for first 2 days.... I suppose I did miss after 10th of november.
Thankyou....

Its sad to note, heart rules few and they dont sit behind to think the consequences :(

V_S
12th November 2011, 07:37 PM
Excellent job RR, NOV and all others who were involved in restoring our hub! :clap: :notworthy: Definitely I missed our hub very much!

NOV
12th November 2011, 07:42 PM
Was really worried that the gems and the treasures in this thread would be lost because of the hack incident. Thanks again RR & NOV for reviving this and the other threads. Our utmost gratitude.

Exactly. Our Heartiest Thanks to RR and NOV.

RegardsPardon Rakesh and Murali, for bringing this here from NT thread, but I think Hubbers must know the level of damage intended by the hackers.

ALL Kamal and Surya threads were deleted. And so were all Announcement threads.
All mods id's, except mine, were deleted. Mine was used to do all the damage and a couple of posts were made using my id.
Ajay Bhaskar posted in time and alerted that the posts were not mine and that the Hub had been hacked.
Banned hubbers were activated and some others were banned.

Apparently, they under-estimated RR's resilience. :)

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
12th November 2011, 07:47 PM
Nerd, thappaa nenachikkaathinga! That post was completely mis-typed! naan solla vanthathu ennanna, "naanga pakkura padathai pathi enge post panrathu" appadinnu neenga sonneenga illayaa, i said that not only timepass(like what u said) most of us are doing and learning useful things too, via hub! enakku ithai solla, words sariyaa amayalai :(

RC
12th November 2011, 07:51 PM
Thanks RR, NOV and Others for restoring our dearest hub! :)
pesal Thanks to Ajay for alerting NOV on time!

raagadevan
12th November 2011, 07:54 PM
NOV was "altered"? :) How?

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
12th November 2011, 07:54 PM
Pardon Rakesh and Murali, for bringing this here from NT thread, but I think Hubbers must know the level of damage intended by the hackers.

ALL Kamal and Surya threads were deleted. And so were all Announcement threads.
All mods id's, except mine, were deleted. Mine was used to do all the damage and a couple of posts were made using my id.
Ajay Bhaskar posted in time and alerted that the posts were not mine and that the Hub had been hacked.
Banned hubbers were activated and some others were banned.

Apparently, they under-estimated RR's resilience. :)

:shock: ivlo pannittaangaLAa?!? NOV, if ur id is hacked means, i don;t know the level of security which prevailed. Ok, what abt current situation? How strong, hub's security is now!

Just say non technically, athu pothum! Neenga romba technicalaa athu irukku ithu irukku nnu sonnaa, again they may try to do harm...

Anegama, ippo backup eduthutteengannu nenaikkiren :)

NOV
12th November 2011, 07:56 PM
Dont worry Sakala, RR had fortified well. He is the techie :)

Siv.S
12th November 2011, 07:57 PM
:rotfl:

RC
12th November 2011, 08:00 PM
rd: adhellaam ungaLukku puriyaadhu... :P

HonestRaj
12th November 2011, 08:35 PM
I too missed hub... appuram nan enge poyi captain paththi ellam post panradhu :lol2:

btw.. got the news from Grouch bhAi..
first day thought.. some normal server down.. next day Groucho asked in FB.. "how is life without hub".. after that he told what happened..
later Siva messaged the amount of damage like kamal & surya threads deleted

how to see the banned ids?

itzashwin
12th November 2011, 08:40 PM
Nice to have the forum back

Admins n mods - thappu pannuvangala pudichuttu .... Vettaiyaadu Vilayaadu dialogue ah sollunga - " *** chinna pasangala, yaar kitta" :mrgreen: :victory:

MADDY
12th November 2011, 08:42 PM
i thought they had hacked RR's id - that would have been collateral damage....

RR, i completely understand how tough it is to recover things - kudos :bow:

HonestRaj
12th November 2011, 08:46 PM
idha pannadhu yarunnu PM pannungalen..

raghavendran
12th November 2011, 09:00 PM
visit any Vijay thrd..u will know for urself...

RR and those who were responsible for recovering Hub..:clap:

RR
12th November 2011, 10:11 PM
Thanks all! As I see the posts going haywire, I'm locking this thread. If you have any further comments, pls PM.