PDA

View Full Version : Carnatic Ragas in IR's Music

Oldposts
30th January 2005, 11:37 AM
Topic started by IR_Fan (velramanan@yahoo.com) (@ 202.88.154.169) on Tue Sep 25 09:41:42 .

Given below is a site created as a dedication to the carnatic caliber of ilaiyaraaja. Would like to have your comments. Let us discuss and talk about the carnatic wizardy of raja...

http://www.geocities.com/ilaiyaragam/index.html

IR @TFM Page (http://www.tfmpage.com/my/md/ilayaraja/index.html)

Oldposts
Old responses (http://forumhub.com/indcmusic/21617.10768.09.41.42.html)

Oldposts
Purv,

Guess your thought on sola pasungiliye is right...

Regarding "chinna chinna solleduthu" - i was just waiting for a second opinion before i included it under pahadi..now i have it...

Will change. Thank you purv

Oldposts
VEL..
I have a doubt in this song:
"Oru pattaampoochi"(JOg/Kaadhalukku Mariyaadhai)

I feel there is R2 in the second interlude(flute)
after the chorus sings
"....mounangal mozhiyaagumaa?"(approximately between 3:25 to 3:33)
pls clarify.
Whenever I hear the song i wait for that flute interlude ...
"kaekkumbodhallaam pullarithu vidugiradhu.."
------------------------
Also one more query:
"oh priya priya..(sivaranjani/idhaythai thirudadhaey)
isn't there n2 too in this song(aezhai kaadhal vaazhumo=n2 n2 paa r2 g3 pa paa)

Oldposts
VEl..pls let me know the movie name of
"anal dhanil aadidum poovai poovai
anaithidavae vandha katrae katrea"
i think it was sung by bavatharini

Oldposts
vel )))))vel)))

Oldposts
Rajesh,

Heavy homework koduthuteenga...Raaja'voda natai/jog/thilang usage ellame very confusing..Adhai pathi (abt that portion that you mentioned), i will respond in detail..carefulla gavanikkanum..

About "anal dhanil", i think it is from "Chandralekha".

Oldposts
ok vel...
nallaa pichikkunga,,,,:)
naan vaedikkai paakkuraen :)

Oldposts
Hi. Wondering....
Are there any noteworthy raaga-based songs in the following IR films?

Manaivi Solle Manthiram
En Uyir Kannammaa
Ilaiyaraagam
Dharmaseelan
Thambikku Oru Paattu
Nyaayam
Idhayathile Oru Idam
Vasantham
Chinna Ramaswamy Periya Ramaswamy
Paasa Mazhai
Eetti

These are just a few albums wherein I haven't heard any songs, and am curious about.

Oldposts
Hi Vel & others,

Greetings ,. I am listening to Konji Pesalaam for the first time for the last few weeks and I am totally astounded by the freshness and orchestration of the songs.. Could u guys help me identify the raaga usage on the songs please.. Sorry if you have already discussed this one..

#1. Siru Siru : This sounds like Gowrimanohari to me with heavy shades of " Thendralai kandu kolla maane" from the movie Nilave Mugam Kaattu. Infact the first interludes is almost a repeat of that.

#2. Aathara Sruthi : This again reminds me of "Vaan Megangale " from Puthiya Vaarpugal.. So is this Mohanam or waht ?

#3. Ezhu Vannam : This one clearly is MMG .. not sure though.

#4. Ithuvarai Naan oru : This is my favorite and i guess this sounds like SudhaSaveri to me. ( malargalil aadum ilami from Kalyanaraaman is the closest one I can think of ).

Pls educate me here.

Thanks
MSK

Oldposts
MSK, this is a review written for those songs some time back

KONJI PESALAM

Siru Siru - Eats up "munnam seitha thavam" and "agaya thamarai" which had similar higih intensity "keeravani" usage..Unni comes off effortlesly in high pitched charanams (first few lines)..for the cracking tune and rendition by the singer - 4.5/6

Unnai thedi thedi - Raga pahadi (?) is hinduthani relative of raga mohanam. Loved the way the charanams rise up and melt back into the pallavi - Sadhana emotes well, but sounds strained in the first lines of the charanams- for the "down to earth & simple but yet so effective" tune - 5/6

Yezhu vannam - listen to the charanams...sudden twist to bring a folkish taste (or innocent sounding portions of the song), in contrast to the pop"ish pallavi..Lyrics could have been better ...this is thilang raga mostly - 3/6

Oldposts
Contd...

Adhara surudhi - the charanams, the first two lines - my word, its a blinder..IR catches u totally unawares...no percussions, a mystic environment is created...then karthik starts of "mottu ondru en ullathil", and the percussions pitch in...massive effect. Thats IR's wizardy for u - song uses both natabhairavi & keeravani - karthik does a good job, sadhana is adequate - but pallavi could have had less synth in the recipe - 5.5/6

Oldposts
Idhuvarai Naan - the full meals time from IR...remember "azhagu malar aada" in turbulent sounding raga chandrakouns..this is no less a composition...Tippu bowled me over with his classy rendition - for the picture perfect tune and the classy rendition - 6/6

Kasthuri pottu - "Yerikara poongaatre" from thooral ninnu pochu is a similar song where shankarabharanam raga was used for a folkish flavour - same here. Cool again, from Tippu - the area which i liked about tippu is his ability to give "folk" tinge to the singing...thats what u call "emoting" while u sing...good number - 4/6

Bottomline - As always, worth every penny !!!

[* Indications of ragas used are my own judgements. Scrutiny and further discussions welcome]

Oldposts
I wonder why "MOUNAMEY NENJIL NAALUM" & "NARUMANA MALARKALIN SUYAMVARAMO KANNIL" both from the film Urangaatha Ninaivugal is not listed at all. Will anyone clarify, on what ragas these 2 were composed?

Oldposts
Kannan:

"Mouname.... Nenjil Naalum Nee Ezhudhum... Kanave kavidhai... is an excellent song by KJY. It resembles "yetho Ninaivugal" of Agal Vilakku; also resembles "Kannamma..Kadhal thandha,," which is listed as Samudrapriya by Vel.

Vel, This song needs some attenetion from your side also. I am not having any links to make you listen this song now. Can Anybody help ?

The second song by Kannan, I could not re-collect, though i remembered to have seen this in the film then. Kannan can give some additional details.

CSR

Oldposts
:-) CSR,

Rombo naalaikku appuram innaikku "yaar thoorigai" and "ennai thodarndhu", both i had listed in Lathangi....

I am totally flat with astonishment...Yaar thoorigai especially...It will take sometime for me to even understand the exact scale used...i will use what you had in group, for reference...

Oldposts
Vel : Yaar thoorigai... simple approach is E to E of keyboard (Sindhu Bairavi..) and Replace Ma with Ga3 . (so both G2 and G3 is there in this song)! Shruthi bedham group of Sarasangi lists Chakravaham and Dharmavathy. IR has added this raagam (How to name It ?)Which is not allowed as per Melakartha scheme. A puzzle.

Oldposts
CSR...i am still struggling with 'yaar thoorigai' :-)))

DEAR ALL

Here are some articels written for ILAIYARAGAM and ILAIYARAAJA YAHOO GROUPS

Starting to decipher ragas using IR's songs http://www.geocities.com/ilaiyaragam/LearningCurve.htm

Intro to IR's kapi raga usages http://www.geocities.com/ilaiyaragam/LearningCurve1.htm

Intro to IR's Sindhubhairavi usages
http://www.geocities.com/ilaiyaragam/LearningCurve2.htm

Oldposts
Would you guys agree with the following?

Unthanin Paadal (Raakkayil Koyil) - Karnataka Khamas
Pachondiye Keladaa (Antha Oru Nimidham) - Vakhulabharanam
Chinanjiragu Nillu (Kannukkul Nilavu) - Yaman Kalyani
Yempaattu Yempaattu (Poomani) - Aabheri
Onnodu Rendula (Enkitte Modhaathe) - Aabheri
Vaanam Vaazhthida (Chinna Maappillai) - Kalyani
Manveettil Irunthaalum (Thozhar Pandiyan) - Subhapanthuvaraali
Naan Irukkum (Azhagiya Kanne) - Hamsanadham
Enakkul Oruvan Yaar Yaar (Enakkul Oruvan) - Hamsanandhi

Regards,
purv

Oldposts
I think u r right with Pachondiye Keladaa,
Yempaattu Yempaattu (Poomani)and Onnodu Rendula...But regarding the rest, once again purv, i have not heard these...pls give a source to listen !!!

Oldposts
You can hear the songs from Enakkul Oruvan, Raakkayil Koyil, and Thozhar Pandiyan at smashits.com. The Azhagiya Kanne song was featured as an SOTD at the TFMpage. Look for it in the SOTD archives. The Chinna Maappillai song hear it at tamilsongs.net. You can hear the Kannukkul Nilavu song pretty much anywhere they host Tamil film music. Does this answer your question?

Now, I'm wondering, how did you hear the song 'Ellaarukkum' that you say is Hindolam-based? I've looked for it at tamilsongs.net and have not found it. :-(( How about the Sevvanthi song, the one you say is Kalyani? How did you hear it? The Nyaayam song that you say is Vakhulabharanam?

Oldposts
BTW, you might have noticed my number has changed. That's because I am now staying at the University of New Paltz, New York. Just so you guys know.

Oldposts
purv

I bought all the PROJECT GEM CDs from wherein i got to here all these hidden treasures. Its worth every damn single penny that you r going to pay, i will tell you...

My gosh...You would die of awe when u get to hear many songs through PROJECT GEM CDs, which sound so unbelievable that IR had scored such music long long time ago, when u and me were babies :-)

Oldposts
and have u heard the songs from Ninaikka therindha maname (available also in PROJECT GEM collection)...There is a vintage IR song "ilamai radhathil iyarkai sugathil ilangiliye"...Man, what a number. :-)

Oldposts
Vel, I have indeed heard 'Ilamai Raadhathil.' Super song to say the least. The other 3 songs in NTM I have on a single CD entitled "THE BEST OF YESUDAS", wherein all the songs are MDed by IR. On that CD there is also a fabulous duet with KS Chitra 'Rettai Kiligal' in 'Ore Oru Graamathile', which is based on Sudhasaveri raagam, and is sadly unavailable over the net. :-(

Oldposts
purv.....rettai kiligal - Add pannikiren :-)

Thanks for ur steady support.

Oldposts
No problem man. :-)))

Oldposts
Vel, if you're asking for what I think you are, then here it is. Rettai Kiligal song goes like this (I'm only doing the pallavi now.)

Rettai Kiligal Andraadum Pesum Thatti Tharaigal
d. s r s r S dS dp mp mr d. s r s s

Oldposts
!!!! Purv...

Remember my querry on sree ragam usage by IR?

I think "Solam vedhaikiyile" from 16 vayadhililae is a very versatile use of sree raagam in folkish mould...

Oldposts
Guys like Vel, come out of your small IR circle and look at the vast Carnatic usage by geniuses like GR, KVM, MSV. No wonder knowlegeables like IsaiRasigai, Sindhuja, MS , vijay keep away from this thread which is just proIR centric.IR has just used few raagas and he has not ventured into many Ganaraagas like Ataana, Kamboji, Bhairavi Thodi and many many which MSV and others, Malayalam MDs have done with amazing authenticity. His carnatic usage has been very shallow , just rotating around 2 or 3 ragas like MMG , Keeravani and doesn't warrant much discussion.No freshness in his tunes after 90's

Oldposts
A post with good intension, to be "unbiased". But i would like to clarify a few things.

This thread was meant to be "ProIR-Centric", in the first place. And, i wud prefer to stick to ilaiyaraja (with due regards to legends like MSV and KV), for a very simple reason that i like IR more than i like carnatic music :-)...I am not an expert (like those in ur elite list of knowledgeables) in carnatic, who may also like IR. But i am an IR-Liker, who also happens to like carnatic. Hope you see the difference between the two.

So its IR that is my primary focus is, and carnatic music is just "one of the facets" that i chose to look a bit more deeply. My greater premise still is IR. Without him in the picture, carnatic (in film music) does not appeal much to me. Either the usages (in non IR songs) are too heavy and methodical to be enjoyable or are simply cold without any innovations or simply lack the soul.

Oldposts
Purv,

Have u listened to "vellai nirathoru pachai kili pillaye" from the film "ennai vittu pogadhe"? It seems to be a derivative of jhankaradhwani...the scale followed is,

s r2 g2 p d1 n1 s....same backwards. The theory books say it is called raga kadhambini.

Asai Nooru vagai - seems another such rare scale. Vakulabharanam sans the gandharam. HOW TO NAME IT ;-)

Oldposts
DIGRESSION

This is a personal request (via e-mail) from DAVE KERMAN...READ ON

Note - (i had asked him about WINGS CD released by ANGELICA, the forum owned by the Italian fan (and composer) who came here to meet IR....For the uninitiated, Dave's ReR USA distributes WINGS in US]

---------------------------------

Hi, There:

Yes, we're big fans of the Maestro, and are proud to be the exclusive N. American importer of "WINGS".

Attached is the information sheet our salesmen use to introduce the product to retailers. (Unfortunately the beautiful, color
CD cover will not reproduce in this email).

If you have any suggestions as to how we can reach more customers, especially any Tamil organisations which might like to buy or sell
this wonderful disk, please let me know.

to be continued....

Oldposts
Continued.....

If you send me your mailing address, I would be happy to send you a sampler of some of our other artists (be warned - they are of
a completely different musical direction: ReR USA holds no allegiance to any particular style or genre of music; Rather we only care about
excellence. That's why we're so thrilled to have Ilaiyaraaja !!

Many thanks for writing.

Yours in the Joy of Music,

David Kerman,
ReR USA
303 S. Broadway, Suite 386
Denver, CO 80209 USA
(303) 777-0575 Ph
(303) 722-2323 Fax
www.rerusa.com

END DIGRESSION

I liked the reason he attributes to his liking for ilaiyaraaja :-)

Oldposts
Today I heard 'Mouna Raagam' from Kolangal. The raaga, Laavanthipriya, seems to be comprised of the following notes:

s r1 m1 p d1 S

And the same backwards.

There are other names for this same raagam, one of which is Karnataka Sudhasaveri. In Hindusthani music, this raaga is called Gunakari.

Oldposts
Purv,

Amazing...."asai nooru vagai" follows a close scale s r1 m1 p d1 n2 s (vakulabharanam sans gandharam) !!

Oldposts
Hey guys,

Here's another rare raaga IR has used: Suranandhini, a Shankarabharanam Janya that takes away the Madhyamam from both the ascent and the descent. It is a fusion of Mohanam and Hamsadhwani.
You know the song 'ABC Nee Vaasi?' Since both da2 and ni3 are used in the song with much importance, I guess this song exemplifies Suranandhini raagam. Another song in this raagam, which I heard today, from the film Thendral Varum Theru, the song 'Thendral Varum Theru,' a nice lilting melody, from a soundtrack that was reputedly mediocre.

Vel, I have no idea what the scale's name is. Sorry I can't be of any help here. ;-)

Oldposts
purv....

Keeping in mind the scale i had given, i saw somewhere abt a raga called "vakkal" in this scale....but, whats in a name...It will be taking things too far away :-)

Oldposts
Purv..another rare song here...

Naa Andhang Pirithi from Prema Raaga Haadu Gelathi (Kannada) is based on pinakini/thanarupi.

Pinakini | S R1 M1 P D3 N3 S | S N3 D3 P M1 R1 S (Derivative of Melakartha Thanarupi)

And ever listened to "Eem debba" from ashwamedham (telugu)...Awesome number in Dharmavathy...

Oldposts
No kidding!! How'd you ever get to hear that song!?? That's just radical!!

Oldposts
purv,

Prema Raaga Haadu Gelathi (Kannada) as well as ashwamedham (telugu)...Both i had purchased from PROJECT GEM.

You cud try it too.

Oldposts
Vel,

I don't think 'Mottu Vitta Mullai Kooda' is based on Charukesi raagam at all. I don't think the song even follows a raaga pattern! Nor is the song from Aruvadai Naal.

However, Aruvadai Naal does have one song that is based on Charukesi raagam, and it is called 'Chinna Ponnu Chinna Ponnu,' and yes, it must be a pathos song. It is sung by Malaysia Vasudevan and S Janaki. 'Mellaatha Mella Thottu' from the same film is an outstanding composition.

BTW, I heard both these songs at tamiltune.com.

Oldposts
yes raja was the first one to put in carnatic in film. he used carnatic as a tool to put in soul into his tunes. they were original. they are original even in the elangatru veesudhey in last years awarded movie's awarded music's the film PITHA MAGAN. ar rahman copies music. he copied mellisaye in Mr. Romeo from an interlude in the rakamma in thalapathi. many more like that.... rajais just too great. his songs has a tinge of carnatic to give the feeling in his number's in mel-isai. his every tune is different. unlike ar. ar's tune in enakku 18.... is very similar to udaya udaya... in udaya. maybe since udaya wasn't released 4 years, he put the tune in his other movie. but IR will nvr and most importantly DO Not Need to do that b'cause, he is a genius, just look at his port folio on the net what he has done other than film music, miss world1995/6 BGM, has any indian done that b4? he composed with RPO of UK,1st asian to do that. he';s just 22222 great

Oldposts
Pari, if you say that Raja was the first one to put carnatic in film, then you are living under a rock, man! There was plenty of Karnatik in THM before IR, from KVM, MSV, G Ramanathan, et cetera et cetera et cetera.

Anyway, to finish off my last posting, I also heard 'Oru Kaaviyam Arangetram Neram'. I didn't catch a single trace of Da2. Are you sure its raaga is Gowrimanohari and not Keeravaani?

RR
31st January 2005, 07:44 PM
I recently listened to 'shiva garuda' from Kochu kochu sandhoshangal. Cool piece. It's here:

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/20/s/movie_name.3386/

Guys, post more such non-TFM goodies of Raaja.

vel
21st February 2005, 12:20 PM
Hi rr,

Thanks for the help on migration of the thread.

Will listen to this piece and get back.

RR
21st February 2005, 03:53 PM
vel, glad to have you back. How is IR? :)

In 'shiv garuda', pay specific attention to the violin (which comes occassionally) and the finishing touch where vocals and percussion come together..

vel
23rd February 2005, 11:42 AM
RR,

IR'aa (raja) pathi ennai visarikareengale...Or did you by any chance mention abt our old timer DFer IsaiRasigai?

Indha paatu mattum illa, i guess most of mallu numbers of IR seem to be of diffferent dimension, unlike tamil.

RR
23rd February 2005, 03:35 PM
vel, I thought I saw your name is TiS effort, no? I was thinking you are not around because of that :)

vel
25th February 2005, 12:32 PM
!!! Enge paartheenga?

RR
25th February 2005, 03:33 PM
Here: http://forumhub.lunarpages.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=65549#65549

Is this a different vel?

vel
26th February 2005, 11:00 PM
Yeah i got the chance of meeting Fr.Jegath of tamil maiyam as said in the link you posted.

But not IR :-)

vel
27th February 2005, 05:46 PM
And RR...

Yen innum latest ILAIYARAGAM file upload pannale (in TFMPage) ?

RR
28th February 2005, 09:24 PM
Oops.. it had gone into my spam folder. I've uploaded it.

BTW, can you post links to some good non-tamil ragabased songs of IR?

vel
3rd March 2005, 06:41 PM
Thanks RR...

PURV wud be able to help u better.

RR
11th March 2005, 01:12 PM
I listened to 'Raagam azhaithu vandha geetham' (kanmani oru kavithai). Great song! You've listed it as 'darbaari'. The chitra part is definitely darbaari. But what about the starting Bombay Jayshri part? Is it not Jog-ish?

Nitya
23rd April 2005, 11:29 AM
Hi Vel. I have some breaking news for you. The song 'Veenaikku Veenai Kunju' is NOT based on Kosalam raagam. How do I know? I have heard a krithi by TN Seshagopalan in Kosala raagam. It is a raaga where emphasis is given to the uttaranga swaras (p d2 n3 S) more so than the poorvanga swaras (s r3 g3 m2). Thus, the bhavam of 'Veenaikku Veenai' does not agree with the bhavam of the said raaga. The song seems to follow the Vakhulabharanam scale. Notice I only said scale. I think that if this were to be called a raaga, it would have to be Ahiri.

The other two songs you said were based on Kosalam are also erratic assumptions. Maybe you meant Ahiri-based? I'm not sure that the said songs are pure Ahiri. Hope this is helpful.

Regards,
Nitya

vel
9th May 2005, 05:41 PM
I will listen to some krithis and thendecide.

RR, adikka varaadheenga, but i am not able to get hold of the song, i listened quite a long time ago.

RR
10th May 2005, 03:05 PM
vel :) It's on musicindiaonline..

vel
5th June 2005, 06:29 PM
RR, i have given this a thought, and there is no doubt that there is more of jog (thilang too?), and in fact, i start to see less and less of darbari.

Purv, since there has been so much of doubts regarding kosalam - i am keeping these two songs as keeravani for the time being...

Dear all - one of the ilaiyaragam group members, sriram, had earlier contended that "enakku piditha padal" was jonpuri and not dharbari kanada. Usage wise, i think the scale used is in fact jonpuri [s r2 m1 p d1 n2 sa, sa n2 d1 p m1 g2 r2 s], though it may lack the characteristic phrases of the raga (like ni2 ri2 g2 ri2 g2).

However, i think 'engengu nee sendra podhum' from ninaikka therindha manamae is a more precise jonpuri.

rajeshrs_tvm
23rd July 2005, 10:28 PM
Vel..
I just wanted to know ur review on IR's thiruvasagom album. If u have posted already pls cut and paste.
innum "Kothumbi" and " Putril vaazh" paadalgalin excitement il irundhu velivarave illai. Indha album vaangiyadhu mudhal orae IR sindhanaigall dhaan. kadandha 2 vaarangalaaga oyaamal veettil IR olithukondae irukkiraar.

vel
6th August 2005, 06:02 PM
Rajesh,

TIS pathi discuss vena pannalam...Review ellam ezhudha enakku arivu pathaadhu...Venum'na, angae ingae konjam ragam usage pathi sollalam...

But we will never in our lifetime, be able to decipher the plot of this musical narration by IR.

Too much ahead of its times.

Have been following the artciles being posted by CSR in ILAIYARAGAM yahoo groups?

vel
6th August 2005, 06:06 PM
Regarding the ragas

Poovar senni mannan - sindhu bhairavi

Polla vinaiyaen - multiple raga usages - refer CSR's write up in ILAIYARAGAM yahoo groups

Pooeru Konum - sudhadhanyasi + samudrapriya/sumanesaranjani -back to sudhadhanyasi

UmbagartKarasae - multiple raga usages - refer CSR's write up in ILAIYARAGAM yahoo groups

Muthunatraamam - Sarasangi

Purtril Vaazh - prelude humming in maand, first 2 para - shankarabharanam, then to thilang, charukesi, natabhairavi and then kaapi - back to shankarabharanam of course.

vel
13th August 2005, 04:31 PM
RR,

Do you have the scale details for saranga tharangini?

Also, what scale is sindhuramakriya? Thanks to Vinu for pointing me towards this composition of IR in this raga.

rajeshrs_tvm
15th August 2005, 09:36 AM
vel,
sorry for the delay in responding. Thanks for the raga usage in TIS.
I am so happy that, my musical friends here in trivandrum are in high praise for the TIS work, and many of the people who know music are keen in hearing to it, I think by word of mouth, TIS would definitely be a commercial success too.
One of my friend, who is not aware of IR's works, but a qualified musician and a spiritually inclined person, says, " Whenever I hear this music, it just make me to hear it again and again, the more u hear to it, the more u want from it. It is like a meditation-like experience. Eventhough I do not know the meaning of the words, the words have some magnetic attraction."
I was so happy hear these unbiased words from a person, who cant understand the language in which it is sung. He even asked me to write the lyrics to him in malayalam.
His favorite is " Pollaa vinayae.."
thanks vel. I will visit ur ilaiyaraagam and respond later. thanks a lot.

baroque
31st August 2005, 06:47 AM
Vel According to Karnatik.com

sindu raamakriyaa

15 maayamaaLava gowLa janya
Aa: S G3 M1 P D1 N3 S
Av: S N3 P M1 G3 R1 G3 S
Please visit, http://www.karnatik.com/
http://www.karnatik.com/c2871.shtml

Can you add these two awesome songs 'ponnil vaanam...'- Janaki - Villuppattukkaran & 'Kaathirundhen ....'-Dharmapathini to your raga site?

vel
3rd September 2005, 02:46 PM
Thanks Vinu

Ponnil vaanam - already irukumae??

I will revert on that dharmapathini song.

vel
26th May 2006, 02:59 PM
baroque

Kathirundhaen is a lovely bageshri isnt it !! Thanks for pointing it

vel
23rd August 2006, 03:26 PM
reviving the thread

RR
24th August 2006, 08:11 AM
Vel,

any new song(s) you have in mind to discuss?

vel
29th August 2006, 06:18 PM
RR, not new - but quite a old one - i was wondering about the song by vani jairam starting "manmadha raagangalae" - see http://www.dhool.com/sotd2/711.html

Enna ragam idhu - seems to start off with a panthuvarali touch and later to vasantha? or hamsanandhi? Your views?

ravarat
16th October 2011, 01:11 PM
Hi Friend,

This is Ravi. I read your blog. You have done a wonderful job. But I have a small suggestion. I saw the song malargalil aadum was listed under shudha saveri. Actually this composition has a great mystery behind it. The song is actually in Mohanam. Please read my blog to understand it better.

http://ravikumarv.wordpress.com/2011/10/16/magic-of-raja-a-lil-bit-of-this-and-lil-bit-of-that/

Thanks