PDA

View Full Version : Tamil Nadu - Places to Visit

PARAMASHIVAN
14th April 2011, 09:13 PM
Folks

I am Planning to visit TN next year some, this will be my first ever visit to India.
Can some one please help me with the following queries?

1) Famous landmarks

2) Good Hotels (5 * Ones)

3) Temples to visit (Chidamparam, Rameshwaram,Madhurai Meenaskhi ..etc)

4) Good Restaurants

5) Recommended Shops to by Religious Deities and accessories

Thanks

madhu
15th April 2011, 11:52 AM
Hi !

Are you going to stay at one place and shuttle between that place and other areas OR
roaming all over TN and nearby areas ?

Do you have any special interests for places ( like pancha bootha shiva temples, vaishnava divya desams, muruga's arupadai veedu etc. ) ? If so you can plan accordingly.

how many days and whats ur main interest ? adhai sollunga..
vivarama solliduvomilla !!

Annan NOV ahas roamed all over Tamil nadu recently. He can give you valuable tips.

baroque
17th April 2011, 06:05 AM
Great Paramashivan.
Have a nice trip.
எங்க ஊரு போயி சந்தோஷமா பாருங்க.
Tanjore /தஞ்சாவூர் /தஞ்சை is a very historic place.
பெரிய கோவில், அரண்மனை தவிர
couple of அம்மன்/அம்பாள் கோவில்கள் , people visit.
ஸ்ரீ.பங்காரு காமாக்ஷி at மேல வீதி, தஞ்சாவூர் .
தஞ்சாவூர் புன்னைநல்லூர் மாரியம்மன் & வலங்கைமான் மாரியம்மன் கோவில்கள் ரொம்ப புகழ் பெற்றவை.
வலங்கைமான் ஸ்ரீ தளாதேவி அம்மை நோயை தீர்க்கும் ஷக்தி மிக்கவள் என்று கூறுவார்கள்.

கும்பக்கோணம் & திருச்சி பக்கத்துல இருக்கு.

கும்பக்கோணம் மகாமகக் குளம் very famous .
சிவன் temples to visit in the city .
சோமேஷ்வர் சுவாமி,கும்பேஸ்வரன் கோவில்,நாகேஸ்வர சுவாமி - ராஜ கோபுரம்.

கும்பக்கோணம் பக்கத்துல திருப்புறம்பியம் வெள்ளை விநாயகர் புகழ் வாய்ந்தது.

beautiful பட்டீஸ்வரம் துர்க்கை , everybody should enjoy .

கும்பக்கோணம் அடுத்து சுவாமி மலை பக்கத்துல திருவலஞ்சுழி விநாயகர்.

அப்படியே மாயவரம் side போனீங்கன்னா.

வைதீஸ்வரன் கோவில் நவக்ரஹ ஸ்தலம் - அங்காரகன்
சீர்காழி பக்கத்துல திருவெண்காடு - புதன் .
கும்பக்கோணம் - காரைக்கால் பக்கத்துல திருநள்ளாறு - சனி
திருநாகேஸ்வரம் is closer to கும்பக்கோணம் ராகு ஸ்தலம்.

enjoy enjoy
world is a beautiful place, we have so little time to see & cherish...
mmmm..............

I wanna post some photos for you here...
vinatha.

madhu
17th April 2011, 07:41 PM
Hi vinatha..

thanjavur pugazh paadi theerthu vitteengalE 1

BTW... thirupurambiyam pillaiyar is made of sea shells.
Thiruvalanchuzhi pillaiyar pErthan swetha vinayakar engiRa veLLai piLLaiyar.
avar kadal nuraiyaal aanavar enru solluvanga.

he he.. naan piranthadhu mannargudi,

adhukkuthAn Mr.Paramashivan kittE kEtten.. endha maadhiri kovilgalukku poga vendum enru ?
avarai kaanave illai.. bayandhu pOi odittaar !

:rotfl:

NOV
17th April 2011, 07:50 PM
Dear Raghu

You have asked for:

1) Famous landmarks
2) Good Hotels (5 * Ones)
3) Temples to visit (Chidamparam, Rameshwaram,Madhurai Meenaskhi ..etc)
4) Good Restaurants
5) Recommended Shops to by Religious Deities and accessories

What you need is

1. Good attitude with an open mind
2. Celebrate people and their practices
3. Treat everything as a learning experience
4. Enjoy every moment - laugh off obstacles
5. Be positive and generous in thoughts and action

NOV
17th April 2011, 08:04 PM
Answering your questions:

1. Everything in TN is rich with history, especially on religion. TN is basically the best place for a pilgrimage and of course to discover your roots. So come prepared with a camera and a video camera. It would help if you google the places you wish to visit beforehand so that you would know what to expect and marvel at.

2. Outside Chennai there are hardly any 5-star hotels. This is Asia you are talking about. What you can do is tell your agent to book you clean and good hotels - and inspect the rooms before you check in.
Five star hotels in Chennai would include Le Royal Meridien, Taj Coromandel, The Park, Fishermans Cove, Radisson, Taj Connemara, Trident Hilton, etc.

3. Watch the movie Thirumalai Thenkumari. :) Anyway, your itinerary will depend on the number of days you spend in India. See my next post for some suggestions.

4. TN is a heaven for vegetarian food. You can visit any restaurants and as long as it is air conditioned, you can be assured of hygiene. In order not to take risks, restrict your drinks to bottled water - ensure the cap is sealed. Refrain from any liquid that is not boiled including ice cubes.

5. Every temple is not just a temple, but also a shopping complex. Wear your biggest smile and start the bargaining session. Try not to bargain with the small time shops - be generous. :D

NOV
17th April 2011, 08:16 PM
Day 1: Arrival at Chennai International Airport

Day 2: Chennai Sightseeing
Must-visit places in the capital city includes Fort St. George, built in 1653; St. Mary's Church(oldest Anglican Church in India); Sri Parthasarathy Temple, Shri Kapaliswara Temple, Vadapazani Temple and Ashta Laksmi temple in Besant Nagar

Day 3: Chennai-Kanchipuram
The city is home to at least 1000 temples and is one of the seven holy abodes for devout Hindus. Apart from visiting most remarkable temples, explore the place famous for its 400 years old silk weaving technique. The city is well-known for offering Kanchipuram sarees and handloom products at reasonable rate.

Day 4: Kanchipuram-Mahabalipuram
Once the ancient port of Pallavas, Mahabalipuram treasures some marvelous monuments, caves, sculptured panels and temples, all of which date back to Pallavas dynasty in South India. Explore world's largest Bas Relief- 'Krishna Mandapam', which has been embellished with images of Gods, birds, animals etc. After lunch, enjoy a trip to the 8th century old Shore Temple, constructed in Dravidian style of architecture.

Day 5: Mahabalipuram to Pondicherry
Pondicherry is situated 135 kms away from Mahabalipuram. To explore Sri Aurobindo Ashram and the Manakula Vinayagar Temple.

Day 6: Pondicherry to Chidambaram to Tanjore
Tanjore, is situated 175 kms away from Pondicherry. En route visit Chidambram and explore the place dedicated to Lord Nataraja.

Day 7: Tanjore Sightseeing
Visit the Big Temple of Brihadisvara, a World Heritage Monument. It is remarkable for its architecture, which resembles the design of Egyptian Pyramids. Explore the nook and corner of Art Gallery and Mahal Library within the Tanjore Palace.

Day 8: Trichy (Tiruchirappalli)
Early morning drive to Trichy, also known as Tiruchirappali. It is located 56 kms away from Trichy. Explore the Rock Fort Temple, which date back to more than 3, 800 million years. Enjoy the architecture of the three temples, located inside the fort. Visit the nearby Manuka Vinyakar Temple and the Uchhi Pillaiyaar Temple. Enjoy an exclusive bird's eye view of the colorful town of Tiruchirappalli.

Day 9: Srirangam Island(5kms from Trichy)
Visit the famous Sri Ranganathaswamy temple and the pious Amma Mandapam Ghat, where rituals and ceremonies are held each new day. Also, make a visit to the temple museum at Srirangam. The building treasures some great collection of ivory sculptures of Lord Vishnu, Nayak Kings, copper plates, Palm Leaf inscriptions and many more, which indicate the days of bygone eras.

Day 10: Madurai
The temple town in Tamil Nadu is situated 128 kms away from Trichy. Visit the popular Meenakshi temple and Thirumalai Nayak Palace. Post lunch period will follow shopping in Madurai. The city shops are best known for handloom sarees, brass ware, wood carvings and handicraft items.

Day 11: Madurai -Chennai-Departure
Happy Journey!

baroque
17th April 2011, 09:55 PM
தஞ்சாவூரு - எங்க ஊரு நல்ல ஊரு... பழமையும், புனிதமும், பெருமையும் நிறைந்த ஊரு.
yeah ... everybody visit my ஹோமே.
மது...
அதானே,
கரெக்டா his needs சொன்னாருன்னா ..
நவக்ரஹ ஸ்தலங்கள், அறுபடை வீடுகள் to காஞ்சி mutt &பிள்ளையார் பட்டி ஹீரோ வரை விவரமா சொல்லுவாங்க எல்லோரும்.

TRICHY - SRIRANGAM TEMPLES PHOTOS.

Vinatha.

madhu
17th April 2011, 10:01 PM
If he wants to see kanyakumari...
I think at least one month is not enough.

Anyway... Srirangam includes thiruvanaikoil and pondy_thanjavur route includes kumbakonam also I suppose.

Kumbakonam is also famous for its vessels and special asafoetida. ( Get it from the shop situated opposite to chakrapani temple)

Pondy Bazar shopping pathi solla marandha NOV anna ! idhu aniyaayam !

baroque
17th April 2011, 10:18 PM
நீங்க மன்னார்குடியா
என்னோட best friend பிரோம் மன்னார்குடி.
திருப்பாற்கடல் குளம் - மன்னார்குடி photo.

rajraj
17th April 2011, 11:10 PM
If he wants to see kanyakumari...
I think at least one month is not enough.

Anyway... Srirangam includes thiruvanaikoil and pondy_thanjavur route includes kumbakonam also I suppose.

Kumbakonam is also famous for its vessels and special asafoetida. ( Get it from the shop situated opposite to chakrapani temple)

madhu: You missed Sirkazhi, Vaidheeswarankoil, Mayiladuthurai, Thiruvidaimarudhur, Thiribhuvanam, Thirunageswaram, Dharasuram (World Heritage monument), Patteeswaram, Swamimalai, Thiruvaiyaar,.............
Take a detour and visit Tiruvarur, KilveLur, Sikkil and Nagapattinam!
I think Paramashivan should visit all "paadal petra sthalangaL" this time because he is Sivan ! :lol:

( I don't want him missing Mannargudi, my birth place! )

V_S
17th April 2011, 11:14 PM
Wow! good thread. Thanks PS. Thanks a lot NOV and vinatha for those wonderful posts and pictures about our state and those grand temples. I almost went on a virtual trip reading your posts. Keep them coming!

baroque
17th April 2011, 11:29 PM
yeah...
எங்கள் தமிழ் நாட்டின் புராண மகிமையை பார்த்து ஆச்சர்ய படுங்கள்.

திருவாரூர் தியாகராஜ கோயில்
located near தஞ்சாவூர்.
மூலவர் - த்யாகராஜர்.
அம்பிகை - கமலாம்பிகை .
remember the say 'திருவாரூர் தேர் அழகு'

தேவர்கள் திருப்பாற்கடலை கடைந்த போது பாம்பு கக்கிய விஷத்தை சிவா பெருமான் தன கண்டத்தில் அடக்கி
திருநீலகண்டர் ன்னு சொல்லுவாங்க, rt
one of those 7 சிவலிங்கம் is திருவாரூர் கோயில்.

vinatha.

PARAMASHIVAN
18th April 2011, 03:51 PM
Wow Thanks guys , never expected such responses :shock: :)

PARAMASHIVAN
18th April 2011, 03:56 PM
Hi !

Are you going to stay at one place and shuttle between that place and other areas OR
roaming all over TN and nearby areas ?

Hi Madhu

Yes , I am planing to roam arround freely

Do you have any special interests for places ( like pancha bootha shiva temples, vaishnava divya desams, muruga's arupadai veedu etc. ) ? If so you can plan accordingly.
yes , temples are my most important reason for TN visit :)

how many days and whats ur main interest ? adhai sollunga..
vivarama solliduvomilla !!
around 3 weeks , athu pothuma ella idathukum travle apnna :roll:

PARAMASHIVAN
18th April 2011, 03:59 PM
Great Paramashivan.
Have a nice trip.
enjoy enjoy
world is a beautiful place, we have so little time to see & cherish...
mmmm..............

I wanna post some photos for you here...
vinatha.

Many thanks Vinatha for your posts and attachment :)

BTW what month of the year has cooler temperature ? enaku veyila na romba bayam :shaking:

PARAMASHIVAN
18th April 2011, 04:03 PM
Dear Raghu
1. Good attitude with an open mind
Nov anneh , I have plenty of this :)

3. Treat everything as a learning experience
Yes I know , I learnt every thing about life in the 'hardest way ' :|

PARAMASHIVAN
18th April 2011, 04:05 PM
Answering your questions:

1. Everything in TN is rich with history, especially on religion. TN is basically the best place for a pilgrimage and of course to discover your roots. So come prepared with a camera and a video camera. It would help if you google the places you wish to visit beforehand so that you would know what to expect and marvel at.

2. Outside Chennai there are hardly any 5-star hotels. This is Asia you are talking about. What you can do is tell your agent to book you clean and good hotels - and inspect the rooms before you check in.
Five star hotels in Chennai would include Le Royal Meridien, Taj Coromandel, The Park, Fishermans Cove, Radisson, Taj Connemara, Trident Hilton, etc.

3. Watch the movie Thirumalai Thenkumari. :) Anyway, your itinerary will depend on the number of days you spend in India. See my next post for some suggestions.

4. TN is a heaven for vegetarian food. You can visit any restaurants and as long as it is air conditioned, you can be assured of hygiene. In order not to take risks, restrict your drinks to bottled water - ensure the cap is sealed. Refrain from any liquid that is not boiled including ice cubes.

5. Every temple is not just a temple, but also a shopping complex. Wear your biggest smile and start the bargaining session. Try not to bargain with the small time shops - be generous. :D

WOW many thanks for this :clap:

PARAMASHIVAN
18th April 2011, 04:11 PM
Dear all,

what time of the month is cooler in TN? Do I need any sort of vaccination (againts Maleria) sort of thing prior to my visit? :roll:

thanks

PARAMASHIVAN
18th April 2011, 04:13 PM
I think Paramashivan should visit all "paadal petra sthalangaL" this time because he is Sivan ! :lol:

Uncle

Are you talking about the 63 Nyanmar related Kovils :roll:

sathya_1979
18th April 2011, 05:59 PM
In TN there are only 3 seasons - Hot, Hotter, Hottest :D
J/K
General Trends:
Summer - Mar to June / Mid-July.
Rains - July - Sep / Oct.
Winter (so-called) - Nov-Mid Feb

NOV
18th April 2011, 06:13 PM
The weather shouldnt be much of a bother Raghu. You will stay, eat and travel in air conditioned facilities.
Inside the temples, the air will be cool.

PARAMASHIVAN
18th April 2011, 06:18 PM
In TN there are only 3 seasons - Hot, Hotter, Hottest :D
J/K
General Trends:
Summer - Mar to June / Mid-July.
Rains - July - Sep / Oct.
Winter (so-called) - Nov-Mid Feb

Thanks Sathya, yeah the so called winter may be a 30 degrees scorcher :lol:

PARAMASHIVAN
18th April 2011, 06:19 PM
The weather shouldnt be much of a bother Raghu. You will stay, eat and travel in air conditioned facilities.
Inside the temples, the air will be cool.

yeah that is True :)

sathya_1979
18th April 2011, 06:46 PM
Thanks Sathya, yeah the so called winter may be a 30 degrees scorcher :lol:
Not that bad, average will be around 25-26 in Winter / Rainy Seasons

madhu
18th April 2011, 07:18 PM
Hi

travelling may be problematic during rainy season in thanjavur area.
If you can bear sun during your outings ( from the comfort of a/c in car and room )
august is ok. Otherwise December and January is best to travel as the climate will be
pleasant. "padal petra sthalangal" enbavai thEvarathil idam petra thirukoyilgaL.
12 aazhvargaLai pola 63 nayanmargalil ellorum paadal paadiyathilai.
appar, sundarar, sambandhar paadiya sthalangale ivai.
manikkavasagar thiruvasagathil padi irukkiraar.
adhu anegamaaga aavudaiyar kovil enappadum thiruperunthuraiyai patrithaan.

Vathiyarayya...
mannargudi is my birthplace too.

indha range-la ponaal vazhiyil irukkum anaithandavapuram, thirumanancheri, ammankudi, uppiliyappan kovil innum kanakkil adangadha kovilgal ellam serndhu pogum. avar ingeye irukka vendiyathudhan.

SoftSword
18th April 2011, 07:19 PM
Dear all,

what time of the month is cooler in TN? Do I need any sort of vaccination (againts Maleria) sort of thing prior to my visit? :roll:

thanks

too much. :evil:
you are not going to amazon but to thamizhnaadu...
avlo kastapattu vaccinationlaam edutthukittu edhukku poganum... u can visit some european countries without any pain and watch these temple in youtube.

rajraj
18th April 2011, 07:26 PM
That is the idea madhu! :) Keep him here for a long time! :)

Vathiyarayya...

indha range-la ponaal vazhiyil irukkum anaithandavapuram, thirumanancheri, ammankudi, uppiliyappan kovil innum kanakkil adangadha kovilgal ellam serndhu pogum. avar ingeye irukka vendiyathudhan.

NOV
18th April 2011, 07:38 PM
Main temples you may want to visit

Arupadai Veedugal - Tiruthani (en route to Tirupathi), Pazhani, Thiruparangkundram & Pazhamudhir Solai (all around Madurai), Swami Malai (in Kumbakonam) and Tiruchendur (enroute to Kanyakumari)

Panja bootha sthalangal of Siva - Kalahasti Wind (enroute to Tirupathi), Ekambareswarar Earth in Kanchipuram, Chidambaram - Space, Jambukeswaran Water (enroute to Srirangam) Annaamalai Fire
Others: Vaitheeswaran enroute from Chidambaram, Periya koyil at Tanjore, Nellaiyappan temple at Tirunelveli (dont miss the alwa)

Pillaiyaar - Pillaiyaar patti enroute Madurai & Utchi Pillaiyaar in Trichy, Manakula Vinaayagar at Pondicheri

Perumaal - Tirupathi, Srirangam (Trichy), Uppili Appan (Kumbakonam), Azhagar (enroute Madurai below the hill at Pazhamudhir Solai), Varadharaja Perumal in Kaanchi puram, Srivilliputtur Aandaal temple

Amman - Madurai Meenakshi Amman, Kaanchi Kaamatchi Amman, Melmaruvathur Amman, Kanyakumari, Samayapuram

There are many more, maybe others here can add....

PARAMASHIVAN
18th April 2011, 08:06 PM
thanks nov anneh :)

PARAMASHIVAN
18th April 2011, 08:10 PM
Hi

travelling may be problematic during rainy season in thanjavur area.
If you can bear sun during your outings ( from the comfort of a/c in car and room )
august is ok. Otherwise December and January is best to travel as the climate will be
pleasant. "padal petra sthalangal" enbavai thEvarathil idam petra thirukoyilgaL.
12 aazhvargaLai pola 63 nayanmargalil ellorum paadal paadiyathilai.
appar, sundarar, sambandhar paadiya sthalangale ivai.
manikkavasagar thiruvasagathil padi irukkiraar.
adhu anegamaaga aavudaiyar kovil enappadum thiruperunthuraiyai patrithaan.

Vathiyarayya...

Thanks :) My parents have relatives in Thiruchi, I may stay with them, rather than Hotels (to save the extra cost) .
Uchi pillayar Kovil is there right?

PARAMASHIVAN
18th April 2011, 08:23 PM
too much. :evil:
you are not going to amazon but to thamizhnaadu...

Your Highness

My parents went to TN back in 2007 and my mum had some sort of eye infection. She had red and sore eyes for weeks, and the GP (Dr) here said, had she taken some sort of Antiviral injection she would have been immune to such virus, that was the reason for my question.

SoftSword
18th April 2011, 08:35 PM
Your Highness

My parents went to TN back in 2007 and my mum had some sort of eye infection. She had red and sore eyes for weeks, and the GP (Dr) here said, had she taken some sort of Antiviral injection she would have been immune to such virus, that was the reason for my question.

thats not something common which every person who visits india/tn need to be worried about.
if that is the case, then tourism would not have developed in india and every other country would have insisted the travellers to take such precautions...
if ur close one/friend had any such experience, its advisable to take suggestion from ur GP there and no point asking it in the hub as if u r planning go on a adventurous trip to amazon forest... though it is not ur intention, it actually comes as a insult for the country/touristm board/people living here and the hygienic system (atleast it communicates to me that way). i don say that india is very hygienic country, but is not as bad as u imagine it to be.

what i speak here maybe irrelevant or uncalled for, but just posted what i felt.
sorry for wasting ur time or if i hav said something wrong.

thanks.

PARAMASHIVAN
18th April 2011, 08:39 PM
SS

My intention was never like that, I really did not think that people will think like that, :sigh2: I hope nobody took that in an offending way

baroque
18th April 2011, 09:17 PM
பரமேஸ்வரன்,
ஒன்னும் shots எல்லாம் வேணாம்.
only thing that is contagious in தமிழ்நாடு is people 's good spirit & their generosity
ஜாலி ஆ போங்க எங்க ஊருக்கெல்லாம்.
drink boiled water .
Have plenty of water .
eat sensible .
enjoy & experience new & exciting things .
ONE OF அறுபடை வீடுகள் - முருகன்
திருச்செந்தூர்
NEAR தூத்துக்குடி/கன்யாகுமரி//திருநெல்வேலி , வங்காள விரிகுடாவில் இந்த ஆலயம் உள்ளது.
it is ideal for sea bathing
செந்தில் ஆண்டவன் கையில் உருத்திராட்ச மாலை உள்ளது.
மேலகோபுரம் is in west side due to sea
வள்ளி குகை, நாழிக்கிணறு ETC ..SHOULD BE VISITED
ஆதி சங்கரர் முருகனைப்பாடிய ஸ்ரீ.சுப்பிரமணிய புஜங்கம் இங்கே பாடியுள்ளார்.
முருகன் தாய் பார்வதியிடம் பெற்ற வேல் கொண்டு சூரபத்மனை வதம் செய்து சிவபெருமானை வேண்டிய ஸ்தலம்.
ஸ்ரீ சுப்பிரமணிய புஜங்க ஸ்தோத்ரம் பி ஸ்ரீமதி.வேதவல்லி IS MY FAVORITE
I BOUGHT திருச்செந்தூர் ஸ்ரீ.சுப்பிரமணிய சுவாமி சுப்ரபாதம் BY கே.வீரமணி & விஸ்வரூப DARISANAARTHTHIGAL சபா WHEN I VISITED THE TEMPLE .
MELODIOUS & DIVINE

love,
வினதா

SoftSword
18th April 2011, 09:23 PM
only thing that is contagious in தமிழ்நாடு is people 's good spirit & their generosity

:thumbsup: well said.

baroque
18th April 2011, 09:27 PM
ss... first time போறதுனால he is anxious அவ்வளவுதான்....
Once he goes and experiences , he will visit often .

திருவண்ணாமலை is சிவ ஸ்தலம்.
திருவண்ணாமலை is பஞ்சபூத ஸ்தலன்களுள் ஒன்று - தீ.
சுவாமி- அருணாசலேஸ்வர்
அம்பாள் - அபீதகுஜாம்பாள்
கார்த்திகை தீபம் திருவிழா மிக புகழ் வாய்ந்தது.
ரமண மகரிஷி இங்கே தவம் செய்தார்.
நெறைய சித்தர்கள் like யோகி ராம் சூரத்குமார் நிறைந்த இடம்.
கிரி வலம் புகழ் வாய்ந்தது.
experience the blissful peace at ரமண ஆஷ்ரமம்

love,
வினதா

PARAMASHIVAN
18th April 2011, 09:42 PM
Thanks Vinatha,

I was going to ask about Thiruvanamalai, esp about the deepam ?

PARAMASHIVAN
18th April 2011, 09:48 PM
Has any one been to Nilgiri mountains?

Has any one been to Sadguru Jaggi vasudev's Isha Foundation Ashram in Coimbotore?

baroque
18th April 2011, 09:57 PM
Nilgiri mountain is part of western ghats.
railways/ mountain trains are the best to enjoy the scenes.
They have road ways too.
check in detail about the seasons, activities like trekking, bicycling, flower shows etc..

SoftSword
18th April 2011, 10:18 PM
Has any one been to Nilgiri mountains?

Has any one been to Sadguru Jaggi vasudev's Isha Foundation Ashram in Coimbotore?

paramu, its some one hour travel from coimbatore... a pretty nice and peaceful place i can say, even for people who does not go there searching any supernatural power.
and for u, dhyanalingam is there which you may wish to worship.
http://www.dhyanalinga.org/gallery/categories/architecture/gallery.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhyanalinga

indha dhyanalingattha anga establish pannadhukku edho kadhai kooda irukku, which i don recall much. u maybe interested in that.
oru moonu naal odhukkunga, kaalaila dhyaana lingam paatthuttu, apdiye evening ooty malai erunga...
aduttha naal fullaa anga spend pannunga... moonaavadhu naal kaalaila keela erangi apdiyae pollaachi vazhiyaa vaazhppaarai/top slip visit pannunga.
sema localities.

PARAMASHIVAN
18th April 2011, 10:25 PM
paramu, its some one hour travel from coimbatore... a pretty nice and peaceful place i can say, even for people who does not go there searching any supernatural power.
and for u, dhyanalingam is there which you may wish to worship.
http://www.dhyanalinga.org/gallery/categories/architecture/gallery.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhyanalinga

indha dhyanalingattha anga establish pannadhukku edho kadhai kooda irukku, which i don recall much. u maybe interested in that.
oru moonu naal odhukkunga, kaalaila dhyaana lingam paatthuttu, apdiye evening ooty malai erunga...
aduttha naal fullaa anga spend pannunga... moonaavadhu naal kaalaila keela erangi apdiyae pollaachi vazhiyaa vaazhppaarai/top slip visit pannunga.
sema localities.

wow many thanks SS, Because of the Dhynalinga I wanted to visit Isha Ashram, my parents have been there and meditated infront of Dhyanalinga and they said they never wanted to leave the ashram! I have met Sadguru in London By the way, he came to the 'Bhavan centre' in South Kensignton (Destrict line ) couple of years back, when I spoke to him, I could feel the strong positive energy generated from him!

baroque
18th April 2011, 11:39 PM
From OOTY,
THERE ARE NICE TOUR PACKAGES TO B'LORE.
B'LORE-MYSORE-OOTY-KODAIKANAL

in & around ooty - botanical gardens, doddabetta etc..
kodaikanal visit to falls
mysore sight seeing of chamundi hills, art galleries etc..
B'lore's Lalbaug, Vishwareshwaraiah museum etc..

Near Mysore
You can visit KABINI resort.
well connected from B'lore.
during Monsoon time, it is gorgeous.
enjoy,

கோவையில் ஸ்ரீ.காமாக்ஷி அம்பாள் கோவில்
R .S .புரம்.
near கோவை is மருதமலை....முருகன்.
vinatha.

rajraj
19th April 2011, 01:23 AM
Paramasivan,
You should take malaria tablets and a shot for hepatitis, just to be safe. I always take malaria tablets beginning two weeks before I leave. I have had all the required hepatitis shots.
If temples are your primary interest then three weeks won't be enough. Tanjore District (old) alone has enough temples for three weeks! :)

Also visit Dhanushkodi (ruins) to see your homeland from a distance.

baroque
19th April 2011, 01:39 AM
காஞ்சிபுரம் ... historical place of பல்லவா , home of பட்டு நெசவு and காஞ்சி mutt.

yeah ...தனுஷ்கோடி அக்னிதீர்த்தம்.

Madras museum
rich treasure of ancient Indian artifacts.

while you immerse yourself in grand architectures , cultural places and beautiful hill stations with exotic wild life of தமிழ்நாடு.

Parameshwaran,
Don 't forget to feast your eyes while you are at சென்னை city streets .
congrats சென்னை corporation of தமிழ்நாடு on beautiful wall murals
those unknown artists with amazing talent , WOW !

so many places... so little time.
நெறைய காசு, பணம், நல்ல மனசு,enthusiasm எடுத்துகிட்டு போயி தமிழ்நாட்டைப்பாருங்க ..
தமிழ்நாடு will enrich your experience

app_engine
19th April 2011, 03:18 AM
Params,

If you're trying to visit Athirampalli / VazhachchAl in Kerala that are close to Valparai, just a small word of caution.

(Actually, this should be applicable for ANY part of Kerala, IMO.)

Please stick to ONLY the popular tourist spots, especially taking pics / videos etc.

You may find tempted to take a pic in common places, say in a bus station or just in front of a municipal office etc - please avoid such.

Another thing, when in Kerala, always have your documents on hand (current passport / valid visa etc).

It's a very different place than TN. From my experience, the authorities are not that friendly with SL Thamizh people (even if they're PRs in EU)

PARAMASHIVAN
19th April 2011, 03:37 PM
Paramasivan,
You should take malaria tablets and a shot for hepatitis, just to be safe. I always take malaria tablets beginning two weeks before I leave. I have had all the required hepatitis shots.

Thanks Uncle, This is what I was asking about vaccination, but it was blown out of proportions :( , I will follow your advice, thanks :)

PARAMASHIVAN
19th April 2011, 03:39 PM
காஞ்சிபுரம் ... historical place of

Thanks Vinatha :)

So the song Kanchi patuduthi kastoori pottu vaiche was inspired from kanjipurum :)

PARAMASHIVAN
19th April 2011, 03:41 PM
Params,

If you're trying to visit Athirampalli / VazhachchAl in Kerala that are close to Valparai, just a small word of caution.

(Actually, this should be applicable for ANY part of Kerala, IMO.)

Please stick to ONLY the popular tourist spots, especially taking pics / videos etc.

You may find tempted to take a pic in common places, say in a bus station or just in front of a municipal office etc - please avoid such.

Another thing, when in Kerala, always have your documents on hand (current passport / valid visa etc).

It's a very different place than TN. From my experience, the authorities are not that friendly with SL Thamizh people (even if they're PRs in EU)

Thanks App anna, it looks like I need 2 months holiday to visit all these places :lol:

baroque
20th April 2011, 03:24 AM
ரெண்டு மாசத்துக்கு ,தமிழ்நாட்டுக் கோயில்களில் சிலவற்றை பிளான் பண்ணி cover பண்ணலாம்.

remember, it is your vacation too. You are spending your saved holidays and money.
relaxed ஆ enjoy .

not to mention, you may not go to that town or city another time in your life, no point rushing & running around. இடத்தில் தங்கி, ரெண்டு வேலை பூஜை பார்த்து, நடை சாத்தும் நேரத்தில், architecture , டவுன் / temple history , புராணம் etc .. ரசிச்சு தெரிஞ்சுண்டு பாக்கலாம். அமைதியா உக்காந்துக்கலாம் காத்தாட.

ஸ்ரீ.ஒப்பிலியப்பன் திருக்கோவில் - கும்பக்கோணம் பக்கத்துல, காரைக்கால் நெடுஞ்சாலையில் உள்ளது.
பூமி தேவி தாயார், மார்க்கண்டேய மாமுனிவர் திருக்கோலம், திருப்பதி வெங்கடாச்சலபதிக்கு அண்ணா - உப்பு இல்லாமல் நைவேத்தியம் .

தாராசுரம் இந்திரனின் வெள்ளை யானை இறைவனை பூஜித்த ஸ்தலம்.

திருமணஞ்சேரி

அனந்தமங்கலம் ஆஞ்சநேயர் .... மயிலாடுதுறை பக்கத்துல இருக்கு.

ஸ்ரீ.வாஞ்சியம் ... எமனுக்கு தனி
சந்நிதி உண்டு இங்கே......கும்பக்கோணம்- நானிலம் பாதையில் இருக்கு.

அய்யாவாடி - பிரத்தியாங்கிரா தேவி - பஞ்ச பாண்டவர்கள் pray பண்ணின ஸ்தலம்.

தமிழ்நாட்டின் ராமேஸ்வரம் - ராமநாதர் பார்த்துட்டு , நீங்க ஆந்திரா side போக ஆசைப்பட மாட்டீர்களா?
ஸ்ரீசைலம் - கர்னூல் மாவட்டம்- ஆந்திரா.
திருவிடைமருதூர் - எங்க தஞ்சாவூர் மாவட்டம் ஸ்ரீ.மகாலிங்கேஸ்வரர் கோவில் மாதிரி.

சரி ... குந்தவை வளர்த்த தஞ்சாவூர் fellows கைவண்ணம் மட்டும் பார்த்தா போறுமா?
பாண்டிய நாட்டை பார்க்கவேண்டாமா?

சென்னை- ராமேஸ்வரம் train பாதையில் போகலாம்.
காளையார் கோவில்.
சுந்தரேஸ்வரர்- மீனாக்ஷி, காளீஸ்வரர்-சொர்ணவல்லி,சோமேஸ்வரர்-சௌந்தரநாயகி.
three couples தரிசனம் - 3 சன்னிதிகள் in one place.

திருநெல்வேலி , பாண்டிய நாடு 'நெல்லையப்பர் & காந்திமதி couple தரிசனம் பண்ணனும் வேற.

Don't worry about heat, water etc.. enjoy .

கொஞ்சம் வெயிலில் அலைந்தால் நல்லதும் கூட...sweat it out , it is good for you . body 's natural cooling system , sweat glands release salt - toxic flush , your skin will be clean .

no worries about dehydration ...

காவேரி தண்ணியையும், தாமிரபரணி தண்ணியையும் அள்ளி அள்ளி குடிச்சு விட்டு வாருங்கள், you develop stronger immune system .

Great , enjoy your trip to தமிழ்நாடு.

வினதா.

PARAMASHIVAN
20th April 2011, 03:04 PM
wow many thanks Vinatha, oru kavithai pOlave Thamizh naatai varunithirukureegal , hats off :notworthy:

I think I need to take atleast two months off just for Thamizh nadu, if I want to visit all of India , I may need 1 year , so I will have to wait till I am retired :lol:

BTW, my next place to visit after thamizh nadu is Kailash, nepal :notworthy:

baroque
20th April 2011, 08:32 PM
sure...
remember to take lots of photos and videos and post it here.
Vinatha.

PARAMASHIVAN
20th April 2011, 08:35 PM
yep will do vintha and thanks for all your posts :)

rajraj
20th April 2011, 09:41 PM
, so I will have to wait till I am retired :lol:

BTW, my next place to visit after thamizh nadu is Kailash, nepal :notworthy:

I thought you were retired and resting in Kailash! :lol:

PARAMASHIVAN
20th April 2011, 09:47 PM
I thought you were retired and resting in Kailash! :lol:

Param Shiv Ji ku enga Retirement,enga resting, I am always in the process of protecting my childrens like you :poke: :lol:

NOV
21st April 2011, 01:08 PM
Raghu, if this is of any help, this is what I wrote after my maiden trip to TN in 2007...

The Tamilnadu I Saw
INTRODUCTION

I travelled to Tamilnadu (TN) on June 1st 07 and visited various parts of TN until the 8th of June. As this was my first ever visit to India, I had prepared myself for the trip with discussions among those with previous experience as well as through the internet.

India simply bowled me over. One person had told me that I would never visit India again; but now I am more eager to visit it over and over again. Some had warned me of stench, hygiene and cheats. Nothing could be further from the truth. I felt completely safe in TNagar at 11pm surrounded by human beings, not fearful gangsters.

India does several things to people; life will never be the same again for her visitors. India is not something to be read or heard. She must be experienced. To enjoy India, the first thing to do is to remove the attitude. Go with the flow and laugh off little inconveniences. You will be repaid multifold with what she has to offer.

The Tamilnadu I saw is completely different from what I had anticipated, right from the word go. I was overwhelmed and humbled at the same time. The land, its people, the sights, the sounds, the food, the culture, the humanity - I could go on and on. Above all, the abundance of love and sense of belonging.....

SoftSword
21st April 2011, 03:17 PM
nov :notworthy:
ennayae paaraattura madhiri oru feeling.... aanaa enna paaraattuna kooda ipdi colar'a thookki vittukka mudiyaadhu...
sonna namba maatinga... unga post padikkirappo bgm music ellaam kekkudhu.... 'thaaye un peyar sollum bodhae idhayatthil minnalai paayudhaey......'

PARAMASHIVAN
21st April 2011, 03:22 PM
Nov anneh :thumbsup: and :ty:

BTW, Can some one tell me about Kutralum Neervizhchi? I heard the water from the waterfall has many health benefits , is it true ?

NOV
22nd April 2011, 07:11 PM
unga post padikkirappo bgm music ellaam kekkudhu:lol:

well Vadivel, since then I have made two more trips and planning another one this year end. The plan is to go to chennai-tirupati-bangalore-mysore-yercaud-trichy-chennai - this time with my children. :happydance:

Raghu, I was at kutraalam last Nov. :thumbsup: nothing beats bathing at the waterfall and followed with hot bajji :slurp:

Rbee
24th April 2011, 02:58 PM
One should not miss staying in Kumbakonam and visiting temples in and around it. There are literally thousands of temples surrounding the town. Also other important places worth visiting like Chidambaram, Thanjavur are nearby. It is an awesome place . The Cholas had their capital at Thanjavur and they have built numerous magnificient temples , mostly dedicated to Lord Siva in these areas. Thiruvidaimaruthur (this temple is just beyond description. Absolute bliss) , Thirumananchery (built by Sembian Mahadevi, mother of Uttama Chola , predecessor to Raja Raja the great) , Darasuram , Patteswaram, Swamimalai, navagraha temples are some of the very famous temples nearby. Also the Kumbeswarar , Someswarar, Nageswarar ,,Kasi Viswanathar temples , are very much present in Kumbakonam itself.

NOV
24th April 2011, 07:10 PM
You missed out my fav in Kumbakonam - Uppiliappan temple. :bow:
oppillaadha perumaal nam uppiliappan perumaal :bow:
I've been to Thiruvidaimaruthur - huge colorful nandi... in a even more huge temple... pity not many devotees at this place. :sigh2:
about swaamimalai - what can I say? been there twice and both times felt goosebumps... such a great spiritual temple. :bow:

Chidambaram is a must see - at least for the Ragasiyam, and now with Dasavatharam movie of Kamal, one can admire pallikondaan and nadaraajan in adjacent buildings.

PARAMASHIVAN
26th April 2011, 03:03 PM
Thanks Nov anneh and Rbee :)

I always wanted to know the concept of 'Chidampara Ragasiyum'. What is so special about this ?

NOV
26th April 2011, 05:50 PM
I always wanted to know the concept of 'Chidampara Ragasiyum'. What is so special about this ?you have to discover this yourself. sharing the information is forbidden.
get ready to take off your shirt and exhibit your muscles here :yessir:

PARAMASHIVAN
26th April 2011, 05:52 PM
you have to discover this yourself. sharing the information is forbidden.
get ready to take off your shirt and exhibit your muscles here :yessir:

:lol: ponnunga vaara idam sar ithu :lol2: :yessir:

19thmay
26th April 2011, 05:53 PM
One should not miss staying in Kumbakonam and visiting temples in and around it. There are literally thousands of temples surrounding the town. Also other important places worth visiting like Chidambaram, Thanjavur are nearby. It is an awesome place . The Cholas had their capital at Thanjavur and they have built numerous magnificient temples , mostly dedicated to Lord Siva in these areas. Thiruvidaimaruthur (this temple is just beyond description. Absolute bliss) , Thirumananchery (built by Sembian Mahadevi, mother of Uttama Chola , predecessor to Raja Raja the great) , Darasuram , Patteswaram, Swamimalai, navagraha temples are some of the very famous temples nearby. Also the Kumbeswarar , Someswarar, Nageswarar ,,Kasi Viswanathar temples , are very much present in Kumbakonam itself.

:exactly: Kumbakonam is a must visit.

Thirubuvanam
Thingalur
Alangudi
Thirunallaru
Suriyanar Kovil
Ganapathy Agraharam
Thirukarukavur
Punnainallur
Thirukadayur
Thiruvayaaru
Natchiar Kovil

For the full list
http://www.kumbakonamonline.com/listoftemples.html

and my native
Thiruvarur

19thmay
26th April 2011, 05:55 PM
And when I visited Thingalur and saw Apoodhi Adigalar's statue I was thinking of Thiruvarutchelvar :)

PARAMASHIVAN
26th April 2011, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the info Sridhar :)

19thmay
26th April 2011, 05:59 PM
I think India is the only country which has all the things you request for, Hillstations or Snowfall, Dense forests, Sea & Ocean, Backwaters, Churches, Mosques and yeah Temples, Temples and Temples..... Welcome to India Raghu! :thumbsup:

NOV
26th April 2011, 06:00 PM
Raghu, in many of South TN temples, its compulsory for men to remove their shirts when entering the temple. This is because it is believed that positive energy can be absorbed better by the bare body.
Temples that insist on no upper garments for men include Tiruchendoor, Tirunelveli, Kanyakumari, Suchindram, etc. In Kerala, you need to wear vEshtti without shirt, otherwise you will not be admitted.

PARAMASHIVAN
26th April 2011, 06:02 PM
I think India is the only country which has all the things you request for, Hillstations or Snowfall, Dense forests, Sea & Ocean, Backwaters, Churches, Mosques and yeah Temples, Temples and Temples..... Welcome to India Raghu! :thumbsup:

Agreed, not to forget, so many native languages /cultures/ traditions ,it is really incredible indeed!

BTW in UK they show a program called 'Incredible India’. :)

rajraj
26th April 2011, 07:42 PM
paramashivan,
If you visit Thiruvidaimarudhur act normal! :) That temple is supposed to cure mental illness. At times you will see people chained to the pillars. Don't be acared. To learn more read about 'Brahma hathi' ! :)

SoftSword
26th April 2011, 08:18 PM
paramashivan,
If you visit Thiruvidaimarudhur act normal! :) That temple is supposed to cure mental illness. At times you will see people chained to the pillars. Don't be acared. To learn more read about 'Brahma hathi' ! :)

illena avara pudichu chainla katti vechiruvaanganu solrigala :lol:

PARAMASHIVAN
26th April 2011, 08:24 PM
Raghu, in many of South TN temples, its compulsory for men to remove their shirts when entering the temple. This is because it is believed that positive energy can be absorbed better by the bare body.
Temples that insist on no upper garments for men include Tiruchendoor, Tirunelveli, Kanyakumari, Suchindram, etc. In Kerala, you need to wear vEshtti without shirt, otherwise you will not be admitted.

It is the same in SL, though it is not compulsory to do so :)

PARAMASHIVAN
26th April 2011, 08:25 PM
paramashivan,

:shaking:

uncle

which town is Thiruvidaimarudhur temple in ?

rajraj
26th April 2011, 09:07 PM
uncle

which town is Thiruvidaimarudhur temple in ?

Thiruvidaimarudhur is the town near Kumbakonam. The deity is Mahalingam.

PARAMASHIVAN
26th April 2011, 09:13 PM
Thiruvidaimarudhur is the town near Kumbakonam. The deity is Mahalingam.

:ty: I am compiling a list places to visit based on this thread :)

Can we talk about food now :slurp: best Hygienic Vegetarian Restaurants in TN please :)

cinema
26th April 2011, 11:32 PM
:ty: I am compiling a list places to visit based on this thread :)

Can we talk about food now :slurp: best Hygienic Vegetarian Restaurants in TN please :)
saravanabhavan is good and vegetarian. beware of the fact that unlike london most of the restaurants in Tamilnadu are non vegetarian. You have to be really careful if you want to have vegetarian food in Tamil nadu. Good luck with it.

cinema
26th April 2011, 11:33 PM
It is the same in SL, though it is not compulsory to do so :)
Here in USA too but as you said it is not compulsory. So we wear shirts when we go to temple and churches.

PARAMASHIVAN
27th April 2011, 03:37 PM
saravanabhavan is good and vegetarian. beware of the fact that unlike london most of the restaurants in Tamilnadu are non vegetarian. You have to be really careful if you want to have vegetarian food in Tamil nadu. Good luck with it.

Really :shock: I thought it would be other way round :shock:

PARAMASHIVAN
27th April 2011, 03:39 PM
Here in USA too but as you said it is not compulsory. So we wear shirts when we go to temple and churches.
:confused2: Since when men are adviced to take their shirts off in churches :roll:

app_engine
27th April 2011, 11:28 PM
Really :shock: I thought it would be other way round :shock:

Me too :shock:

TN is quite famous for its veggie restaurants (unlike Kerala where it's difficult to find pure-veg places).

Like the Saravana Bhavan chain in Chennai, Coimbatore has Annapoorna Gowrishankar (which was possibly the first big chain in TN, it predates Saravana Bhavan). They have big size restaurants in every main place in Coimbatore city. In 90's they used to have a central kitchen in Vadakovai (may still have) from where a number of items will be transported to restaurants through out the city. (Ofcourse hot items like rice / dOsai etc will be made in each restaurant).

Annapoorna used to have great standards for hygiene / food quality etc, way ahead of its times! Cbe people used to love it and IIRC, the "restaurant going culture" started there in TN -i.e. much before other places historically, with AP-GS a main driver.

My first experience was in 1980 (as a student visiting that city for an inter-school tournament) when we jumped into the Annapoorna restaurant in Gandhipuram bus stand for dinner. First time I saw idly immersed in sAmbAr that tasted a little sweet (they used to add sugar), possibly one of their innovations, and treated myself with that dish every time I visited Cbe!

app_engine
27th April 2011, 11:31 PM
There used to be "Annalakshmi Foods" in Race course road, Coimbatore - classy restaurant where banana leave cut to shape and fit inside a round plate was used to serve very tasty veggie food.

Possibly one of those early places where girls served food. (It used to be rare in TN to see female servers in restaurants other than tea-kadai levels).

SoftSword
28th April 2011, 12:02 AM
if in cbe, search for and try paatti mess, a small time hotel.
u get atleast 30 kinda dhosais here, and many more variety in vegitarian tiffin items...

rajraj
28th April 2011, 01:22 AM
paramashivan,
There used to be a BBH (Bangalore Briyani Hotel) in Coimbatore that I used to frequent. I am not sure they serve vegetarian food! :lol:

app_engine
28th April 2011, 09:14 PM
if in cbe, search for and try paatti mess, a small time hotel.
u get atleast 30 kinda dhosais here, and many more variety in vegitarian tiffin items...

Another similar place, it used to be called "tiffin house" on Raja street off of oppaNakkAra street and the variety of chutnees for idli...wow, mouth waters just by remembering that :-) The only difficulty there was long waits on your table (means between dOsai's) as the demand was far greater than the samaiyal.

SoftSword
28th April 2011, 09:19 PM
and not to forget the famous angannan biriyani in cbe.

Bala (Karthik)
29th April 2011, 12:33 PM
Is there a Tamil Nadu in Mars?

Bala (Karthik)
29th April 2011, 12:35 PM
As i love repeating, Saravana Bavan is a farce.

CBE Annapoorna kooda ellam comparison-ke idam illa

ajaybaskar
29th April 2011, 12:59 PM
Yes.. Especially after Annachi's concentration moved towards different padhaarthams.

joe
29th April 2011, 09:10 PM
Yes.. Especially after Annachi's concentration moved towards different padhaarthams.
:lol: ......................

joe
29th April 2011, 09:18 PM
http://www.tamilnadutourism.org/

app_engine
29th April 2011, 11:13 PM
Params,

Also in Trichy, most veggie restaurants around the central bus stand are of great quality / class (though not Annapoorna levels or innovations)!

You're sure to get top glass idli with a variety of chutnees & excellent sAmbAr - regardless of which one you enter into. Such many restaurants with good food quality / cleanliness around the main bus station is very rare to see in other towns of TN in my experience.

(Take it as my experience before 20 years as I didn't get much opportunity to go to restaurants in Trichy in these two decades because of in-laws :wink:)

PARAMASHIVAN
3rd May 2011, 04:29 PM
Thanks Joe anneh and app anneh :)

Dinesh84
4th May 2011, 02:54 PM
I am planning to visit Rameshwaram and Thiruchendur next week.. is there any other pilgrimage locations near by those two?

Dinesh84
5th May 2011, 03:49 PM
I am planning to visit Rameshwaram and Thiruchendur next week.. is there any other pilgrimage locations near by those two?

:roll: :roll:

SoftSword
5th May 2011, 03:52 PM
how old are u? and whats the hurry for u to go on a pilgrimage?

PARAMASHIVAN
5th May 2011, 04:47 PM
how old are u? and whats the hurry for u to go on a pilgrimage?

What has age got to do with Pilgrimage :roll:
It is bad time people come out of this stereo type that only the Old go on Pilgrimages while the young go clubbing ! :sigh2:

ajaybaskar
5th May 2011, 04:53 PM
Dinesh,

You can go to Navathirupathi in Azhwar Thirunagari. Its located between Thiruchendur and Tirunelveli. Also Srivaikundam.

SoftSword
5th May 2011, 04:54 PM
What has age got to do with Pilgrimage :roll:
It is bad time people come out of this stereo type that only the Old go on Pilgrimages while the young go clubbing ! :sigh2:

visiting temples often is diff from going on pilgrimage, me thinks.

NOV
5th May 2011, 06:04 PM
You can go to Navathirupathi in Azhwar Thirunagari. Its located between Thiruchendur and Tirunelveli. Also Srivaikundam.Excellent!
I have been to SriVaikuntam - Beautiful temple but not many people go there.
Dinesh must not miss Nellaiyappan kOyil; and not forgetting the iruttu kadai alwaa :slurp:

madhu
21st May 2011, 05:47 AM
There are many temples in and around Ramanathapuram. ( between Rameswaram and Thiruchendur)
Yervadi dargha is famous for curing mentally challenged people ( Dont remind Sethu.. hoooo (
Thirupullaani, Uttarakosamangai, Navabashanam are some of the temples nearby Ramnad.
Azhwar navathirupathis are 9 temples between Thiruchendhur and Tirunelveli. All these are coming
under 108 divyadesams.

BTW... Hot hot dosais are available in a small hotel near azhwarthirunagari temple. :jollus:

venkkiram
21st May 2011, 06:09 AM
கோயில்களை சுற்றிப்பார்ப்பதில் ஆர்வம் இருக்குமாயின், எங்கள் கிராமத்திற்கு - (நன்னிலம் தாலுகா) மூன்று கிலோமீட்டர் அருகே கூத்தனூர் என்ற ஊரில் அமையப் பெற்ற சரஸ்வதி அம்மன் கோயிலுக்கு வருகை தரலாம். தமிழ்நாட்டில் சரஸ்வதிக்கேன்றே பிரத்யேகமாக ஒரு கோயில் என்றால் அது இதுதான். குழந்தைகளுக்கு கல்வியை ஆரம்பித்து வைக்க, இங்கு அழைத்து வரும் பெற்றோர்கள் நிறைய. திருவாரூர்- மயிலாடுதுறை சாலையில் பூந்தோட்டம் என்ற ஊரில் இறங்கினால் முக்கால் கிலோ மீட்டர் நடைபயணத்தில் இந்தக் கோயிலை அடையலாம்.

PARAMASHIVAN
24th May 2011, 09:37 PM
Thaanks Venki and madhu for the info. sorry I just saw your posts today :oops:

sathya_1979
25th May 2011, 09:42 AM
கோயில்களை சுற்றிப்பார்ப்பதில் ஆர்வம் இருக்குமாயின், எங்கள் கிராமத்திற்கு - (நன்னிலம் தாலுகா) மூன்று கிலோமீட்டர் அருகே திருமியச்சூர் என்ற ஊரில் அமையப் பெற்ற சரஸ்வதி அம்மன் கோயிலுக்கு வருகை தரலாம். தமிழ்நாட்டில் சரச்வதிக்கேன்றே பிரத்யேகமாக ஒரு கோயில் என்றால் அது இதுதான். குழந்த்தைகளுக்கு கல்வியை ஆரம்பித்து வைக்க, இங்கு அழைத்து வரும் பெற்றோர்கள் நிறைய. திருவாரூர்- மயிலாடுதுறை சாலையில் பூந்தோட்டம் என்ற ஊரில் இறங்கினால் முக்கால் கிலோ மீட்டர் நடைபயணத்தில் இந்தக் கோயிலை அடையலாம்.
Venkki, kooththanoorilum Saraswati Devikku prathyEga kOvil uLLadhu
http://www.templenet.com/Tamilnadu/koothanur.html

19thmay
25th May 2011, 10:39 AM
Sathya,

Avar andha oora thaan solraar....

Venkiraam - Naanum Thiruvarur kaaran thaan :) And very near to Poonthotam is my Kula Dheivam temple located [Poonthotam - Peralam route]. Looks like there is an issue with the bridge and so all Mayavaram - Thiruvarur buses are going via Nanilam.

sathya_1979
25th May 2011, 11:28 AM
Sathya,

Avar andha oora thaan solraar....

Venkiraam - Naanum Thiruvarur kaaran thaan :) And very near to Poonthotam is my Kula Dheivam temple located [Poonthotam - Peralam route]. Looks like there is an issue with the bridge and so all Mayavaram - Thiruvarur buses are going via Nanilam.
:oops: adhukku innoru pEr irukkunu theriyaadhu!

rajraj
1st June 2011, 11:21 AM
It is too late for paramashivan to visit Saraswathi temple! :lol:

கோயில்களை சுற்றிப்பார்ப்பதில் ஆர்வம் இருக்குமாயின், எங்கள் கிராமத்திற்கு - (நன்னிலம் தாலுகா) மூன்று கிலோமீட்டர் அருகே திருமியச்சூர் என்ற ஊரில் அமையப் பெற்ற சரஸ்வதி அம்மன் கோயிலுக்கு வருகை தரலாம். தமிழ்நாட்டில் சரச்வதிக்கேன்றே பிரத்யேகமாக ஒரு கோயில் என்றால் அது இதுதான். குழந்த்தைகளுக்கு கல்வியை ஆரம்பித்து வைக்க, இங்கு அழைத்து வரும் பெற்றோர்கள் நிறைய. திருவாரூர்- மயிலாடுதுறை சாலையில் பூந்தோட்டம் என்ற ஊரில் இறங்கினால் முக்கால் கிலோ மீட்டர் நடைபயணத்தில் இந்தக் கோயிலை அடையலாம்.

SoftSword
1st June 2011, 02:47 PM
ayyampettai patri therindha makkal yaaraachum irukkeengalaaa??

PARAMASHIVAN
1st June 2011, 03:10 PM
It is too late for paramashivan to visit Saraswathi temple! :lol:

dry joke uncle , better luck next time :poke: :lol:

ajaybaskar
1st June 2011, 03:19 PM
Ayyampettai is 15-20 kms far from Tanjore.

SoftSword
1st June 2011, 03:47 PM
Ayyampettai is 15-20 kms far from Tanjore.

i hav been there a couple of times ajay...
andha oor aladhu adhukku pakkatthu oor kaaranga yaarachum irundhaa kaetaen...
andha oorla oru saptha kannigal/kannimaar koyil irukku...
adhu enga kula dheivamaam... idhu engalukku oru 4 yrs munna dhaan theriyum...
so, andha koyil patthi extra therinjavanga irundhaa therinjukkalaamnu kaetaen....

venkkiram
1st June 2011, 04:47 PM
:oops: adhukku innoru pEr irukkunu theriyaadhu!

இல்லீங்க! நாந்தான் பெயரை தவறா சொல்லிட்டேன். கூத்தனூர் என்பதே சரி. எனது பதிவைத் திருத்திவிட்டேன்.

திருமியச்சூர் என்ற கிராமம் பேரளம் என்ற ஊருக்கு அருகே அமைத்துள்ளது. சிவஸ்தலம். இறைவன் மேகநாதர், இறைவி லலிதாம்பிகை. கோச்செங்கட் சோழனால் கட்டப்பட்ட கற்கோயில் இது. திருமீயச்சூரைத் திருஞான சம்பந்தரும், திருநாவுக்கரசரும் பாடியுள்ளனர்.

19thmay
ஒ! அப்படியா! ரொம்ப சந்தோசம். பேரளம் - பூந்தோட்டம் சாலையில் அமைந்த குலதெய்வக் கோயிலா? எந்த ஊருன்னு சொல்லுங்க..

19thmay
1st June 2011, 05:00 PM
Venkkiram,

Just 2 Kms from Poonthottam there is a village called வீரவாடி, theriyuma?

sathya_1979
1st June 2011, 05:08 PM
naama ellaam andha side oru trip pOdalaamA?

SoftSword
1st June 2011, 05:20 PM
naama ellaam andha side oru trip pOdalaamA?

vEndAm.....

sathya_1979
1st June 2011, 06:10 PM
vEndAm.....
Oh! neenga enga ellaarukkum UK trip sponsor seiyyareengaLA? adhuvum first class air fareodavaa :D nanRi nanRi :cheer:

SoftSword
1st June 2011, 06:18 PM
Oh! neenga enga ellaarukkum UK trip sponsor seiyyareengaLA? adhuvum first class air fareodavaa :D nanRi nanRi :cheer:

naan ellaam maadi veettu yezhai'nga..
but konja naal pogattum.... kandippaa andha madhiri oru trip sponsor seiven.... :)

NOV
1st June 2011, 06:38 PM
andha oor aladhu adhukku pakkatthu oor kaaranga yaarachum irundhaa kaetaen...
andha oorla oru saptha kannigal/kannimaar koyil irukku.....
I too would like to trace my routes... we have a kula deivam temple in tanjore (by the sea I think)
Route is vatharniam -> ayerkapulam or karriyapattanam
(apparently there is a ponnusaamy teacher who is quite famous there and he has the key..

SoftSword
1st June 2011, 06:43 PM
I too would like to trace my routes... we have a kula deivam temple in tanjore (by the sea I think)
(apparently there is a ponnusaamy teacher who is quite famous there and he has the key..

key?
andha saavi senju kuduttha kollan rattham kakki setthuttaaraam.

sathya_1979
1st June 2011, 06:44 PM
naan ellaam maadi veettu yezhai'nga..
but konja naal pogattum.... kandippaa andha madhiri oru trip sponsor seiven.... :)
konja naaL means? oru 4-5 months?

SoftSword
1st June 2011, 06:48 PM
konja naaL means? oru 4-5 months?

oru 2 years.

NOV
1st June 2011, 06:59 PM
key?
andha saavi senju kuduttha kollan rattham kakki setthuttaaraam.
:hammer:

he has the key to the temple.... ennamO da vinci code maadhiri kathai pOgudhu.. :lol:

venkkiram
1st June 2011, 07:04 PM
Venkkiram,

Just 2 Kms from Poonthottam there is a village called வீரவாடி, theriyuma?

தெரியும் 19thmay. அந்த ஊர் பூந்தோட்டம் - காரைக்கால் சாலைப் பாதையில் அமைந்த்துள்ளது. சரிதானே?

littlemaster1982
1st June 2011, 07:06 PM

It's Vetharanyam - Ayakkaranpulam or Kariyapattinam.

NOV
1st June 2011, 07:10 PM
thanks pangaali. was told that to reach the temple we have to go thru either Ayakkaranpulam or Kariyapattinam

SoftSword
1st June 2011, 07:12 PM
any kumbakonam ppl here?

littlemaster1982
1st June 2011, 07:14 PM
thanks pangaali. was told that to reach the temple we have to go thru either Ayakkaranpulam or Kariyapattinam

Any idea about the deity's name or the place? Ayakkaranpulam/Kariyapattinam are just big villages. I can check with my dad.

NOV
1st June 2011, 07:16 PM
Any idea about the deity's name or the place? some form of perumaal :)

VV, mum's mum was from kumbakOnam :D

SoftSword
1st June 2011, 07:17 PM
appo avanga kitta kelunga... ayyampettai saptha kannigal koyil pathi edhachum theriyumaanu.

NOV
1st June 2011, 07:19 PM
appo avanga kitta kelunga... ayyampettai saptha kannigal koyil pathi edhachum theriyumaanu.ammaa pirandhadhu kuala lumpur :lol: and she was born in a catholic family. :lol2:

SoftSword
1st June 2011, 07:28 PM
paattiya kelunga nov.
edhachum kadhaigal kaetrupaanga illa... andha oora patthi....

NOV
1st June 2011, 07:38 PM
sorry VV, all my grandparents died before I was born. :cry2:
mothers side are all in pondicheri now.

SoftSword
1st June 2011, 07:40 PM
oh ok :(
u missed a lot without growing with paatti-thaattha...

19thmay
1st June 2011, 09:37 PM
தெரியும் 19thmay. அந்த ஊர் பூந்தோட்டம் - காரைக்கால் சாலைப் பாதையில் அமைந்த்துள்ளது. சரிதானே?

Yes, Poonthotam - Karaikal route. Iyyanar is my kula deivam.

PARAMASHIVAN
1st June 2011, 09:45 PM
Iyyanar is my kula deivam. :shock: naan ninaichen SRT thaan unga Kula deivam nu :lol2:

Joking Sridhar :)

19thmay
1st June 2011, 09:51 PM
Apparently he is the Iyyanar of cricket!

raghavendran
3rd June 2011, 08:34 PM
i haven been to Theni yet..anga ponumnu romba naala aasai..very much attracted to the greenary there..
yarachu poyirndhingana experience share pannunga..
theni mavatuthula oru chinna gramathula settle aganumnu ennoda aasai :D

app_engine
6th June 2011, 10:31 PM
yarachu poyirndhingana experience share pannunga..

Not much relevance to current status, but experience anyways...of 1979...visiting Vaigai dam close to PeriyakuLam, such a beautiful place.

Was in +1 and with our PET at Batlagundu for ball badminton inter school (the then Madurai revenue district level). We won and were qualified for state level and the master treated us with a (bus) trip to PeriyakuLam / Vaigai dam.

What I clearly remember to this day is the return trip on bus which played sakkaLaththi songs (vAda vAttudhu, enna pAttuppAda enna thALam pOda)... One of our teammates had this nickname 'kOzhi' and when the song 'kOzhi, muttakkOzhi adhappudichchAndhu kozhambu vaippOm vAdi' was played in the bus, we were all delirious :lol:

madhu
7th June 2011, 05:42 PM
kula deivam thread onnu aarambikalama ? rajagopal enge kaanum ?

rajraj
7th June 2011, 08:29 PM
rajagopal enge kaanum ?

.................? :(

PARAMASHIVAN
7th June 2011, 08:45 PM
Yaar intha Rajagopal ??? :roll:

madhu
8th June 2011, 08:19 AM
ennanga idhu.. ? kuladeivam rajagopal appadinnu solluvanga.. adhaan sonnen : escape: :yessir:

yosh
13th June 2011, 09:33 AM
Dear Friends,
I'm visiting India on the 5th July with my Family. Total 10 adults. Arrival in Thiruchi airport.
Need a Travel agency Contact from Thiruchy. If you have any please email to my email id:
thilagavathy.neelamegan@dhl.com.

Thanks

rsubras
14th June 2011, 09:30 PM
Not much relevance to current status, but experience anyways...of 1979...visiting Vaigai dam close to PeriyakuLam, such a beautiful place.

Was in +1 and with our PET at Batlagundu for ball badminton inter school (the then Madurai revenue district level). We won and were qualified for state level and the master treated us with a (bus) trip to PeriyakuLam / Vaigai dam.

What I clearly remember to this day is the return trip on bus which played sakkaLaththi songs (vAda vAttudhu, enna pAttuppAda enna thALam pOda)... One of our teammates had this nickname 'kOzhi' and when the song 'kOzhi, muttakkOzhi adhappudichchAndhu kozhambu vaippOm vAdi' was played in the bus, we were all delirious :lol:

Theni maavatathula than ponnu eduthirukkaen.. :) ooru peru Tevaram....... 5 kms from Pannai puram and around 20-25 kms from Bodi Naickaner.......... Western Ghats kitta irukku....... Theni ya thaanduna summa silu silu nu kaathu adikkum....... Sooper ooru....... the proximity to Kerala means there is always a pleasant feel in the temperature...... :)

1979 la +1 na....... you must be around 16 in 1979 and now you should be 48+ ........ great

SoftSword
14th June 2011, 09:32 PM
avar pala varusham fail aagi kooda padichiruppaar.

raghavendran
14th June 2011, 09:49 PM

thnx app_engine :)
will go thr surely

app_engine
15th June 2011, 12:09 AM
1979 la +1 na....... you must be around 16 in 1979 and now you should be 48+ ........ great

avar pala varusham fail aagi kooda padichiruppaar.

ingEyum idhE ArAychchiyA :oops: (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=697562&viewfull=1#post697562)

47 running :-)

madhu
15th June 2011, 08:10 AM
summaavaa paadinaanga..

then mERku paruva kaatRu thEni pakkam veesumbOdhu saaral inba saaral.... "app"adinnu..:P

PARAMASHIVAN
2nd August 2011, 09:51 PM
What is Tanjavore famous for ? is it for pottery work ?

SoftSword
2nd August 2011, 09:57 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanjavur

bingleguy
2nd August 2011, 10:09 PM
What is Tanjavore famous for ? is it for pottery work ?
:roll: if that too comes in the category of CREATIVITY :yes: .....

bingleguy
2nd August 2011, 10:10 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanjavur

vara vara knowledge thenju poi wikiledge aayiduchO :roll:

bingleguy
2nd August 2011, 10:10 PM
Yaar intha Rajagopal ??? :roll:

avar oru periya mahAn :)

SoftSword
2nd August 2011, 10:13 PM
vara vara knowledge thenju poi wikiledge aayiduchO :roll:

illai.. paramu kaetta question patthappo avar thanjavur'nra vaartthayae ippodhaan modhal'la kelvipadra maadhiri irundhadhu...
adhaan basic knowledge'kaga andha link kuduthaen...

19thmay
2nd September 2011, 02:52 PM
Visited Kuttralam for the first time [ சின்ன வயசுல குற்றாலம் போகாமலேயே "இன்ப சுற்றுலா- குற்றாலம்" என்ற தலைப்பில் கட்டுரை எழுதி இருக்கிறேன்.]
Heavy rainfall and so the waterfall was arrogant ... wow. We forcefully drenched in the rain as a warm up and then we were under then falls. Bliss... :clap:

Next day its Achankovil (Kerala) - 30 Kms from Tenkasi. Its in high range, forest area.
அட்டைகடி, ஏறும்புக்கடிகளை பொறுத்துக்கொண்டு, ஒரு ஓடையில் நீராடிவிட்டு கோவிலுக்கு சென்றோம். Climate was fantastic with rainfall. Environment is greenish, plants trees, insects, flowers. :clap: :clap:

P_R
2nd September 2011, 05:37 PM
சின்ன வயசுல குற்றாலம் போகாமலேயே "இன்ப சுற்றுலா- குற்றாலம்" என்ற தலைப்பில் கட்டுரை எழுதி இருக்கிறேன் :lol:.......

SoftSword
2nd September 2011, 05:53 PM
more such are 'aaru than varalaaru koorudhal', 'naan piradhama mandhiri aanaal' naasamaa poachu...

P_R
2nd September 2011, 06:35 PM
'naan piradhama mandhiri aanaal' naasamaa poachu... :lol:

சமீபத்தில் சென்றது திருநெல்வேலி பக்கம்...ஆன்மீக சுற்றுலா

நத்தம்
திருப்புளிங்குடி
தொலைவில்லிமங்கலம்
பெருங்குளம்
திருக்குறுங்குடி
கிருஷ்ணாபுரம்
ஶ்ரீவைகுண்டம்
தென்திருப்பேரை
திருக்கோளூர்
ஆழ்வார் திருநகரி

It was excellent. விரிவா சொன்னா உலாவரும் ஒளிக்கதிர் மாதிரி இருக்கும் :lol2:

SoftSword
2nd September 2011, 07:00 PM
:lol:

நத்தம்
திருப்புளிங்குடி
தொலைவில்லிமங்கலம்
பெருங்குளம்
திருக்குறுங்குடி
கிருஷ்ணாபுரம்
ஶ்ரீவைகுண்டம்
தென்திருப்பேரை
திருக்கோளூர்
ஆழ்வார் திருநகரி

thanks for reminding this old word... idhellaam marandhae poachu.... idhellaam padhivu panna oru kayiru thirikkanum.

P_R
2nd September 2011, 07:09 PM
தென் திருப்பேரைல பெருமாள் பேர் - மகர நெடுங்குழைக் காதர் (மகரம்னா மீன். மீன் போன்ற உருவத்துல இருக்கற காதணிகள் அணிந்தவர்னு அர்த்தம்).
உற்வசருக்கு பேர்- நிகரில் முகில்வண்ணன் (the peerless one who is colored like the dark clouds) What beautiful names :bow:

19thmay
2nd September 2011, 07:10 PM

நத்தம்
திருப்புளிங்குடி
தொலைவில்லிமங்கலம்
பெருங்குளம்
திருக்குறுங்குடி
கிருஷ்ணாபுரம்
ஶ்ரீவைகுண்டம்
தென்திருப்பேரை
திருக்கோளூர்
ஆழ்வார் திருநகரி

நெல்லையப்பரை பார்க்கவில்லையா? நான் பார்க்க ஆசைப்பட்டு என் நண்பர்குழுவில் பரிந்துரைத்தேன், புரடியில் அடித்து நெல்லை ஒயின்சிற்கு அழைத்து சென்றுவிட்டனர்.

P_R
2nd September 2011, 07:13 PM
Of course. பிரம்மாண்டமான கோவில். மீனாட்சியம்மன் கோவிலை விட பெருசு.
கிட்டத்தட்ட ரெண்டு மணிநேரம் ஆச்சு.

P_R
2nd September 2011, 07:16 PM
கிருஷ்ணாபுரம் (13ம் நூற்றாண்டுன்னாங்க) சிலைகள் எல்லாம் கொஞ்சம் பிரமிப்பா இருந்துச்சு. மூக்குத்தி போடற அளவுக்கு மூக்குல துவாரம் வச்சு ஒரு ரதி சிலை. மெகழுகு தீக்குச்சி ஒண்ணை நுழைச்சு, அங்க இருந்த மேனேஜர் காண்பிச்சார். இந்த மாதிரி பல. அந்தப்பக்கம் போனீங்கன்னா தவற விட்டுறாதீங்க.

SoftSword
2nd September 2011, 07:20 PM
நெல்லையப்பரை பார்க்கவில்லையா? நான் பார்க்க ஆசைப்பட்டு என் நண்பர்குழுவில் பரிந்துரைத்தேன், புரடியில் அடித்து நெல்லை ஒயின்சிற்கு அழைத்து சென்றுவிட்டனர்.

நட்பைக்கூட கற்பைப்போல எண்ணுவேன்.

roosevelt92
3rd September 2011, 02:19 PM
yeah Tamil Naidu is really nice place of India the folk of there are so cultured i didn't visited yet but i heard about its climate and weather are so decent which will make you fresh every time ... must visit

ajaybaskar
3rd September 2011, 03:22 PM
P_R,

Thiruchendur pogalaiya?

P_R
3rd September 2011, 06:29 PM
P_R,

Thiruchendur pogalaiya? No. Not this time.

I have been to Thiruchendur earlier.
About a decade back I went to these Navathirupathi temples + Thiruchendhur. That time with a large bunch of relatives, so I was rushed for time.
I had been planning a slower paced trip like this ever since - finally materialized.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
6th September 2011, 03:51 PM
கிருஷ்ணாபுரம் (13ம் நூற்றாண்டுன்னாங்க) சிலைகள் எல்லாம் கொஞ்சம் பிரமிப்பா இருந்துச்சு. மூக்குத்தி போடற அளவுக்கு மூக்குல துவாரம் வச்சு ஒரு ரதி சிலை. மெகழுகு தீக்குச்சி ஒண்ணை நுழைச்சு, அங்க இருந்த மேனேஜர் காண்பிச்சார். இந்த மாதிரி பல. அந்தப்பக்கம் போனீங்கன்னா தவற விட்டுறாதீங்க. இது மாதிரி நிறைய பாக்கனும்னா நீங்க அவசியம் கர்நாடகாவில் உள்ள பேளூர் ஹளபேடு கோவில்களுக்கு போகனும்! ஒரு நாள்லயே ரெண்டும் பாத்துடலாம் ஆனா ஒரு கைடு வெச்சி பார்த்தா நிறைய ஆச்சர்யமான தகவல்கள் சொல்லுவாங்க! இங்கிருப்பது போன்ற சிலைகள் தென்னிந்தியாவில் எங்குமே இல்லை! தஞ்சை கூட பிரம்மாண்டத்துக்கு தான் பேர்போனது நுட்பத்துக்கு அல்ல!

காரணம், தஞ்சை உள்பட பெரும்பாலான கோவில்களில் உள்ள சிலைகளுக்கான பாறை, மலைகளில் இருந்து குடைந்தெடுக்கப்பட்டது ஆனால் மேற்சொன்ன கோவில்களில் உள்ள சிலைகளுக்கான பாறை மண்ணில் மூழ்கியிருக்கும் பாறைகளை கொண்டு செய்தது அதனால்தான் நுட்பமான வேலைப்பாடுகள் அதிகம். இதுபோன்ற சிலைகள் உள்ள மற்றொரு இடம் அஜந்தா எல்லோரா குகைகள்(மஹாராஷ்ட்ரா)

P_R
6th September 2011, 04:23 PM
போயிருக்கேன் சகல. லுக் அட் மீ (http://dagalti.blogspot.com/2009/12/illi-nodu-4.html).
ஹொய்சளேஸ்வரர் கோவில்ல மரவேலைப்பாடு போல இருந்ததைப் பார்த்து வாயைப் பிளந்துட்டேன்.

மேலுகோட்டை செலுவநாராயண ஸ்வாமி கோவில்ல கூட (இது ஹொய்சளர்கள் கோவில் இல்லை) எப்படி இரும்புக் கம்பிகளை வளைச்ச மாதிரி இருக்கு பாருங்க.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
6th September 2011, 08:50 PM
P_R, Superb, appa neenga thaan matha places pathi sollanum, btw, simple and superb writeup!

Hampi poyirukkeengaLaa, remains of ancient palaces nnu kelvi patrukken.

P_R
7th September 2011, 11:38 AM
நன்றி சகல.
சிறுபயணங்கள் தவிர, வருஷா வருஷம் ஒரு ஒருவாரம் எங்கயாவது அப்பா அம்மாவோட போயிருவேன்.
2008ல சிங்கப்பூர், மலேசியா (கொலா லம்பூர், பெனாங்) - அப்பொ தான் நம்ம nov, ஜோ -வையெல்லாம் சந்திச்சேன்.
2009ல மைசூர், ஶ்ரீரங்கப்பட்ணா, மேலுகோட்டை, ஹாஸன், ஹளேபிடு, பேளூர், பெளவாடி, ஸ்ரவணபெலகோலா போயிருந்தோம்.
2010ல உதைபூர், ஜோத்பூர், ஜெய்ஸால்மெர், ஜெய்ப்பூர்.
2011ல தான் இன்னும் திட்டமே போடலை - ஆபீஸ் நண்பர்களோட இலங்கைல பென்டோட்டா போயிருந்தேன், அப்புறம் கர்நாடகால ரெண்டொரு இடங்கள், சமீபத்துல நெல்லை பக்கம். எல்லாம் நீட்டப்பட்ட (!) வாரயிறுதி பயணங்கள் தான்.

ஹம்பி போனதில்லை. சென்னைலேர்ந்து ஹொஸ்பெட் போகிறதுக்கு பெங்களூர்ல ரயில் மாரணும். சரியான நேரத்துல கனெக்டிங் இல்லைன்னு நினைக்கிறேன். ஹொஸ்பெட்லேர்ந்து ஹம்பி போற வழியில ஒரு 'ஜங்கிள் லாட்ஜ்' இருக்கு. மைண்ட்ல வச்சிருக்கேன் :-)

யாராவது ஒரிஸா போயிருக்கீங்களா? புபனேஷ்வர், கொனார்க், பூரி, ச்சிலிகா ஏரி...முடிஞ்சா பிஹார்ல புத்த கயா, சார்நாத் போகலாம்னு ஒரு திட்டம். அந்த அளவுக்கு நல்லா இருக்குமா?

SoftSword
7th September 2011, 06:34 PM
pr, thirumba Karnataka pakkam plan panningana... coorg, dharwad, gokarna idha ellaam mindla vechukkonga.

P_R
7th September 2011, 07:47 PM
கூர்க் பக்கம் தான் சமீபத்துல போனேன். முடிகிரே கிட்ட (காஃபி தோட்டம் புடைசூழ் வகையறா)
கொகார்ண் கிட்டத்தட்ட கோவா இல்லை! மங்களூர் பக்கமே போனதில்லை. போகணும்.

போன வருஷம் மேற்கால போனதால, இந்தவருஷம் கிழக்குப் பக்கம் போவோமேன்னு பார்க்குறேன் :-)
2005ல கல்கத்தா, டார்ஜிலீங் போனேன். வடகிழக்கு பக்கம் போனதில்லை. அதெல்லாம் ஃபீச்சர் பிளான்.

SoftSword
7th September 2011, 07:51 PM
ennaadhu mudikkieriyaa.... adhu madikkeri illa???
gokarna comes 100km before goa...
n times better place than goa... very neat... and less contaminated, popularised... u could hardly see 5% of indians there...

P_R
7th September 2011, 07:56 PM
ennaadhu mudikkieriyaa.... adhu madikkeri illa??? dang sillip

... u could hardly see 5% of indians there... Flau, veLLaiya adivarudi spotted. enna seyyalaam?

SoftSword
7th September 2011, 07:59 PM
edhayum varudala... this place will look more like a foreign destination'nu solla vandhaen...
especially while comparing to much crowded much overrated goa.

B_R: fletcheru jeepu spotted'ah?

P_R
7th September 2011, 08:08 PM
Goa it really depends how you go.
I went on a literally backpacking tour with a friend in Jan 2008 (right after the New Years - so there was less crowd)
First day we stayed in a nice resorty place in Calangute. Wanted to have one day of - shack, shades, own beach, pool etc
Next day we went to a more ordinary place in Anjuna - but with a more lively area. That was largely because we were going to spend very little time in the hotel and were going diving and were going out to kill the evening.
The next day we move to a very cheap shack :-) As we were going to go diving and then local scooter roaming in Panjim city.

We had done some lonely planet research to ensure we were going to veLLaikkaara recommended hole-in-the-wall places. And every restaurant, bar we picked the only guiding principle was - it should be atleast 50% non Indian. More white the place, the greater indicator of koalty. Stood us in good stead! :-) So I get what you are saying.

sipi
7th September 2011, 08:10 PM
If any plan to Pollachi / Udumalaipettai, then try to visit Thirumoorthy Falls . Its on the way from both the places.

Suthi iyarkai ku naduvula romba arupudhamana idam. Falls la kulichitu, temple la swamy tharisanam.. super place....

sipi
7th September 2011, 08:12 PM
In case of trichy, then plan to Puliancholai... another wonderful nature place with falls....

SoftSword
7th September 2011, 08:14 PM
okay okay...
hav any of u been to kollimalai?
enga oorukku romba pakkam... aana innum ponadhillai...
school padikkirappo kollippaavai kollimalai mandharavaadhi nu neraya references padichadhula irundhae indha edatthu mela oru curiosity....

SoftSword
7th September 2011, 08:16 PM
If any plan to Pollachi / Udumalaipettai, then try to visit Thirumoorthy Falls . Its on the way from both the places.

Suthi iyarkai ku naduvula romba arupudhamana idam. Falls la kulichitu, temple la swamy tharisanam.. super place....

apdiyae vaalpparai, top slip, raja seat etc., semma places.

sipi
7th September 2011, 08:19 PM
apdiyae vaalpparai, top slip, raja seat etc., semma places.

ofcourse yes.... missing old days of office tours in all these places :(

sipi
7th September 2011, 08:22 PM
okay okay...
hav any of u been to kollimalai?
enga oorukku romba pakkam... aana innum ponadhillai...
school padikkirappo kollippaavai kollimalai mandharavaadhi nu neraya references padichadhula irundhae indha edatthu mela oru curiosity....

puliancholai, kolli malai adivaaram la thaan iruku... kizha irundhu mala mela 8 kms ku trecking iruku, mela pona falls and one siva temple anga irundhu 4 kms la pona kollimalai cetre ku pogalam... nice place....

i was too very much eagered about kollimalai and kolli paavai... but my friends was used to kid me on that time because of these stories...

SoftSword
7th September 2011, 08:26 PM
kollimalai much spoken for black magic. any idea sipi?

sipi
7th September 2011, 09:24 PM
No Idea. I was not much interior to villages. Friends kooda mela falls paarka ponadhoda seri.. Kollimalai ku nammal district la thaan main route. maybe andha vazhiya edhvadhu irukalam. I am not sure.

Cinefan
20th October 2012, 04:09 PM
Bangalore-Madurai-Tiruchendur-Rameswaram :Is this a single belt?Meaning,can I cover this without much detour?

How are the roads?

NOV
20th October 2012, 05:55 PM
Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Salem-Dindigul-Madurai - Abt 400kms + (mostly dual carriageways, about 6 hours plus)

Madurai-Rameswaram - 180kms (single lane roads, will take almost 4 hours)

Rameswaram-Tiruchendur - 210 kms (single lane roads, will take more than 4 hours)

This would be the preferred route... one can only cover about 40km per hour in normal single lane roads.

selvakumar
20th October 2012, 10:59 PM
Bangalore-Madurai-Tiruchendur-Rameswaram :Is this a single belt?Meaning,can I cover this without much detour?

How are the roads?
Take the train - (Bangalore - Madurai - Tuticorin). From Tuticorin, travel to Tiruchendur (nearby) and then to Rameshwaram.
From Ramnad, you have direct trains and buses to Madurai. Visit Madurai and then travel to Bangalore.
Roads are normal roads. You can drive fast.

joe
27th October 2012, 05:41 PM
நெல்லை எங்கள் எல்லை .குமரி எங்கள் தொல்லை - என கலைஞர் பாணியில் நெல்லை வரை சென்று நாஞ்சில் நாட்டை புறக்கணித்த பிரபுராமை வன்மையாக கண்ணடிக்கிறேன்.

selvakumar
28th October 2012, 01:05 AM
நெல்லை எங்கள் எல்லை .குமரி எங்கள் தொல்லை - என கலைஞர் பாணியில் நெல்லை வரை சென்று நாஞ்சில் நாட்டை புறக்கணித்த பிரபுராமை வன்மையாக கண்ணடிக்கிறேன்.

NOV
25th May 2013, 08:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Iwq0OY_Mptg#!

NOV
26th June 2013, 06:27 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BNpRfXACEAEo-AN.jpg:large

Tanjai Periya Kovil taken 100 years ago

oowijaez
28th July 2013, 09:21 PM
I like visiting Tamil Nadu, especially Trichi and sorrounding places. As a fan of Kalki I've read 'Ponniyin Selvan' about 5/6 times and in part 2 he practically takes us to 'kodikkarai'. I know the place is probably not same as it was depicted in the novel but i always wanted to visit there and experience 'back to the future'!. Can anybody tell me how can I get there, from Trichi town? How far is it? is it possible to visit within a day?

rajraj
28th July 2013, 10:07 PM
Vankv: Kodikkarai is in Nagappattinam District. It is probably less than 100 miles from Trichy near Vedaranyam. Take a car and take this route : Trichy-Tanjore- Tiruvarur- Tiruthuraipoondi-Vedaranyam-Kodikkarai. I was there in 1969. The last Tsunami washed away Chola period monuments from what I read. Still, it is a place to be visited. Have fun! :)

There are other routes. You could go to Nagapattinam by train from Trichy and rent a car.

madhu
29th July 2013, 02:21 PM
கோடிக்கரை இன்னும் அதிகம் மாறவில்லை. கோவில் இன்னும் இருக்கிறது. வரப்போகும் ஆடி அமாவாசை என்று எக்கசக்கமான கூட்டம் சமுத்திர ஸ்நானம் செய்ய வருவார்கள் என்பதால் ஒருவேளை பாதை எல்லாம் கூட சீர்படுத்தப்பட்டு இருக்க சான்ஸ் இருக்கிறது. திருச்சியில் இருந்து வேதாரண்யத்துக்கு நேரடி பஸ் இருக்கிறது. இனி வரப்போவது மழைக்காலம் என்பதால் கால நேரத்தைக் கணக்கிட்டுக் கொண்டு பயணிப்பது நல்லது. வாத்தியாரையா சொன்ன இரண்டுமே சரியான ரூட்ஸ் தான் ! :)

oowijaez
29th July 2013, 04:36 PM
Thank you very much, Rajraj & Madhu for your information. I will certainly visit there next time. We went upto Thiruvaarur by bus from Trichi in 1995. Hopefully I will have some like-minded people to enjoy the journey.

rajraj
7th August 2013, 05:43 AM
As a fan of Kalki I've read 'Ponniyin Selvan' about 5/6 times and in part 2 he practically takes us to 'kodikkarai'.

I forgot to mention that kalki grew up in a hamlet near MaNalmedu about 10 miles from Mayavaram (now Mayiladuthurai). If you are such an ardent fan of Kalki you might want to visit his native place. I don't know whether there is a memorial there. Instead of going to Tiruvarur from Tanjore you go to Mayiladuthurai, visit his village and proceed to Tiruvarur from Mayiladuthurai. There are reasonably good hotels in Kumbakonam, Mayiladuthurai and other towns in Tanjore(old) district. Staying overnight should not be a problem. Have fun ! :)

madhu
7th August 2013, 06:28 AM
Hotels in Kumbakonam are better than hotels in Mayiladuthurai.

Madhu Sree
14th August 2013, 06:27 PM
Madhu pappaaa, how to like your post... :D how true... even I felt the same... :D

PARAMASHIVAN
14th August 2013, 07:08 PM
Been going through this thread, so many nice memories, thanks all for sharing such informative info. I will be visiting later This year :)

19thmay
14th August 2013, 11:53 PM
Raghu - Let me know when you are in Chennai, neraya pEsa vEndi irukku

All Indian cricket fans please be ready with semma urutukattai!!

19thmay
14th August 2013, 11:56 PM
Thank you very much, Rajraj & Madhu for your information. I will certainly visit there next time. We went upto Thiruvaarur by bus from Trichi in 1995. Hopefully I will have some like-minded people to enjoy the journey.

I bet you, even now in 2013, the route and its structure will be the same except all greenish fields are now divided as Sun city, Hitech city etc... saabakEdu :banghead:

rajraj
15th August 2013, 12:58 AM

Sridhar: He will be in India to visit his abodes in person. Make sure he visits KaLahasti, Kanchipuram, TiruvaNNamalai,Chidambaram and Tiruvanaikkaval ! :lol:

19thmay
15th August 2013, 01:13 AM
Sir - kAtrilaaam ;) :twisted:

oowijaez
15th August 2013, 08:37 PM
I bet you, even now in 2013, the route and its structure will be the same except all greenish fields are now divided as Sun city, Hitech city etc... saabakEdu :banghead:

Oh:( that's a pity, because I prefer touring around south of Tamilnadu especially Trichi district and surrounding areas just for its greeneries. One of the temples we visited was 'Kumara vayalur Murugan', built by Kirupananda Variyar, we were told, is also in the middle of fields. Very remote and divinely!

PARAMASHIVAN
15th August 2013, 09:46 PM
Raghu - Let me know when you are in Chennai, neraya pEsa vEndi irukku

Intha Gym Baadiku urutukattai ellam "jujubi" :lol2:

MavanE Veerabdra avatharithil VarOmla :lol2: :yessir:

PARAMASHIVAN
15th August 2013, 09:48 PM
Sridhar: He will be in India to visit his abodes in person. Make sure he visits KaLahasti, Kanchipuram, TiruvaNNamalai,Chidambaram and Tiruvanaikkaval ! :lol:

:rotfl: Good one Uncle! :thumbsup: