PDA

View Full Version : Songs with same 'meter' ?

dude
27th January 2005, 10:22 AM
I was reading through Manisekaran's article about Ilayaraja. One of the posters in that topic had given a link an IR interview, or rather a chat with SPB during a live show.
He was talking about songs with the same meters. IR explained very well about the topic and went on to say that almost all MDs do that (consciously or not), that too sometimes in the same movie.

Here is that particular clip(thanks to fan_ir):

http://www.raajangahm.com/real/interviews/11Columbo.rm

Here are the examples he gives:

veedu varai manavi = pesuvadu kiliya illa pennarasi
yaeru mayileri vilayadu mugham = rathiriyil poothirukkum = maanguyiley poonguyiley

After that, I have been listening hard to find out songs with the same meter. Here are a few that I think are set in the same meter(experts, please correct me if I am wrong).

1) pachai kiligal tholodu (Indian) = suthi suthi vandeeha (Padayappa)
2) Unna nenachen paattu padichen thangamey (Apoorva Sahodharagal) = Kuyila pudichi koondil adachi koova sollugira ulagam (Chinnathambi ?)
3) kadhal ennum thervezhudhi (Kadhalar Dhinam) = Roja roja roja roja (Kadhalar Dhinam)
4) Pattu solli padudhamma (Azhagi) = Unkutthama Enkuthama (Azhagi)

Sing these songs one after the other and interchange the lyrics, you will realize what I mean here.

For more on Meter, read this excellent article written by Arularacan on our own tfmpage.com
http://www.tfmpage.com/my/meter_thalam.html

Please post any songs that you've noticed to have such similarities.

madhu
27th January 2005, 11:18 AM
Hi !

nice !

what about

veedu varai uravu and mampazhathu vandu ?

(enakku avvalvu gnanam kidaiyadhu.. just try panren ! :shock: )

Ravi_odiyur
27th January 2005, 03:13 PM
Also,

Thuliyile (Chinna Thambi) = Kuyilu kuppam kuyilu kuppam (En uyir thozhan)
Roja Roja (Kadhalar Dinam) = <The last bit in Chippi irukkudha (Varumai Niram Sivappu) - Kodutha sandhangalil, ena manadhai...>
Enna vilai azhagae (Kadhalar Dinam) = Thanga padhakathin melae... (some MGR movie I think)
Kalyana thaenila (Mounam Sammadham) = Unnoda(???) Paattu thaan (some Aishwarya(not Rai)-Selva movie I think)
Adiyilla Seidhi solli (En Aasai Machchaan) = Aasaiyila paathi katti (Enga ooru kaavakkaran)

vijayr
1st February 2005, 08:57 PM
The sandham for the pallavi of GA's "neela vaana odayil" has been recycled in "kaalai nera poonguyil" by IR in Amman Kozyil kizhakkaale. You can effortlessly sing the latter tune with former song's lyrics.

Ravi Odiyur, enna vilai azhagae doesnt posses the same sandham or meter as that of enna vilai azhage. The tune is slightly similar though. Looks like you are listing tune similiarities rather than meter similiarities.

vijayr
1st February 2005, 08:57 PM
"enna vilai azhagae doesnt posses the same sandham or meter as that of enna vilai azhage"

I meant "same as that of thanga padhakathin mele"

app_engine
2nd February 2005, 01:34 AM
`pachai kiLikaL thOLOdu' seems to be a fav meter for ARR...the previous avtar's are `ottakaththa kattikkO' (Gentleman) & `neeyum nAnum onnAnA' (Bombay)...

app_engine
2nd February 2005, 01:37 AM
Did anyone experience seniors asking to sing the whole 'pAlum pazhamum kaigaLil Endhi' song (pallavi as well as saranam)by repeating just `pAlum pazhamum' through out? (during the ragging days?)

genesis
2nd February 2005, 02:53 AM
There is a song in Pithamagan (Piraiye Piraiye) resembles one old IR song.. could not recollect which one...

Anybody can help?

dude
2nd February 2005, 03:10 AM
App_Engine,

I remember being ragged with the 'Kodi asainthadhum kaatru vandhada, kaatru vandhadhum kodi asaindhadha' song. They asked me to keep repeating the same line for almost the entire song...

The 'paalum pazhamum' routine, we guys used it to bug one another :-D

madhu
2nd February 2005, 07:51 AM
There is a song in Pithamagan (Piraiye Piraiye) resembles one old IR song.. could not recollect which one...

Anybody can help?

HI genesis !

I think the tune is like "puthamputhu poo poothadhO"

Sudalai
2nd February 2005, 02:31 PM
Roja Roja (Kadhalar Dinam) = <The last bit in Chippi irukkudha (Varumai Niram Sivappu) - Kodutha sandhangalil, ena manadhai...>

Ravi odiyur,
I also felt the same when the songs came out.. but no one would accept.. :(

NagaS
2nd February 2005, 03:40 PM
Rakkamma Kaiyath thattu (Dalapathi) & Raakkozhi koovum naeram (Maharasan)

NagaS

dinesh2002
2nd February 2005, 09:09 PM
can u tell me the movie of the song which is same with enna vizhai azhage - kadhalar dhinam

dude
2nd February 2005, 11:25 PM
can u tell me the movie of the song which is same with enna vizhai azhage - kadhalar dhinam

I think the song 'thanga padhakkathin maele' is from the movie 'Thangapadakkam'

dinesh2002
3rd February 2005, 04:13 PM
yo guys,heard the so called original version of enna vizhai azhage....goodnes....i dun think it has a strong resemblence,most 2 most around 5 % only....

3rd February 2005, 05:47 PM
Enna vilai azhage is completely ripped off note by note.

zz
3rd February 2005, 06:25 PM

Great!!!

vijayr
4th February 2005, 02:54 AM
Here is another popular one,
naan paarthadhile avaL oruthiyai dhaan - to pudhu maapiLLaikku in Aboorva SagodharargaL with minor changes in a few words

dude
5th February 2005, 12:31 PM
Here is one more:

Then maerku paruva kaatru(Karuthamma) <=> Valayosai galagalavena(Sathya)

C~P
5th February 2005, 03:35 PM
And one more :

Mary had a little lamb <=> London bridge is fallin down

dinesh2002
5th February 2005, 09:54 PM
not to mention,

ABCDEFG - Baba Blacksheep - Twinkle Twinkle little star

lol!!!

dude
5th February 2005, 10:36 PM
come to think of it, most nursery rhymes seems to be set in the same tune. hmmm interesting...

C~P
6th February 2005, 10:26 PM
hai...ennala ivalo periya gnanodayam-a?! :D

dude
7th February 2005, 06:50 AM
konjam overacting pannitomonnu yosichen... parava illaiye nambittiye :-D

C~P
7th February 2005, 11:10 AM
Achacho, appo innum gnanodayam kidaikkaliya? Thenna maraththu adila okkanthu try panni paarunga! :D

sripathyramesh
9th February 2005, 05:38 PM
oru gundu malli kulungudhadi (avatharam), and oru solai koyil (rajni film)

aadi paaru mangaatha (pallavi), and kannai katti kollathe (saranam) - the notes are also same

dude
9th February 2005, 08:18 PM
Good ones there sripathyramesh!

Here is another one... They may not sound that close.

Oru ooril azhage uruvai oruthi irundale (Kakka Kakka) and Vayadukku vandha penne vaadi munne(Thulluvado Ilamai)

dinesh2002
19th March 2005, 06:31 PM
some other same meters

Original : Sanakya - Dum ( Sadhana Sargam & Actor Simbhu )

xerox : Nibuna - Kutthu ( Sadhana Sargam & Actor Simbhu )
xerox : Manmadhane ne - Manmadhan ( Sadhana Sargam & Actor Simbhu )

considering same actor & singer..hmmmmm

one more

Oh MAhire - Manmathan style is 90% same with ARR's Meherban - Tehzeeb

TISK
20th March 2005, 05:32 AM
'sashtiyai nokka saravana bhavanaar' from the famous prayer kandhar sashti kavacham rhymes with
'pathinettu vayadhil paayudhu manasu' from that movie that was screened last week in Sun TV!!

TISK
20th March 2005, 05:39 AM
And, you can go on finding almost any song in this fashion as the lyrics and the tune generally follow thw the
3 adi sandham, 4 adi, 7 adi etc.
That was what IIR said in his interview that there are only 7 swarams and one can do only within that and repetitions are inevitable!
In fact, you can apply this 'meter thing' to any song and sing in a different song's tune if the sandhams are the same 3adi, 4 adi etc.
Ex; try singing 'pesuvadhu kiliyaa' in the tune of 'maambazhaththu vandu, vaasa malar chendu' and vice versa .
Nothing new! Bye!