PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Roundup - Best Actor in phoren film

kid-glove
7th January 2011, 02:32 PM
Blue Valentine: Ryan Gosling
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Social Network: Jesse Eisenberg
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Biutiful: Javier Bardem
127 Hours: James Franco
Shutter Island : Leonardo DiCaprio
Get Low: Robert Duvall
Solitary Man: Michael Douglas
The King's Speech: Colin Firth
Essential Killing : Vincent Gallo
La nostra vita: Elio Germano
True Grit: Jeff Bridges
The American : Clooney
Fighter: Walhberg
Ghost writer: Mcgregor

No Voting, just catch up with the films and discuss your views.

kid-glove
7th January 2011, 02:35 PM
Will do for Actress/Film and other categories next. Or someone else could do the same. Basically the idea is to make a list of films to catch up..

hamid
7th January 2011, 02:35 PM
Inception was released during 2010 right? :roll:
paartha padam athu onnuthaan..athum illainna eppadi :mad:

kid-glove
7th January 2011, 02:36 PM
IMHO, Dicaprio better in Shutter..

hamid
7th January 2011, 02:37 PM
oh..orutharukkku oru padamthaana? okay.. ithukku ethukku IMHO ellam.. niinga sonna ketukka porom :lol:

kid-glove
7th January 2011, 02:39 PM
Illeeng, naan enna sonnalum ipellam rendu default reactions:

a) Over-Peter/Purila

b) Pundithargal-in pEthals

hamid
7th January 2011, 02:43 PM
:lol:

P_R
7th January 2011, 03:23 PM
Naan faarthadhu: Shutter, Inception and Ghost Writer

In acting I tend to lean in favour of a role which demands more pronounced histrionics.

So Leonardar in Shutterukku oru award parcel.
Inceptionukku oru vengaLa kiNNam.

McGregor - sari vandhadhu vandhutteenga, saaptu pOnga.

Sid_316
7th January 2011, 03:31 PM
Illeeng, naan enna sonnalum ipellam rendu default reactions:

a) Over-Peter/Purila

b) Pundithargal-in pEthals

:lol: Ennaya sollalaye? :oops:

P_R
k_g, pliss to write.

Particularly interested in reading your assessment of Leonardars performances.

Role, script போன்ற பிண்ணிப் பிணைந்திருக்கும் விஷயங்கள்லாம் பிரித்தாய்ந்து நடிப்பை தரநிர்ணயம் செய்றதைப் பத்தி எழுதுறது நீங்க ஒண்டி தான். அதை நுட்பமான மொழிலதான் எழுத முடியும்.

In the words Sakthivel Kounder: நீங்க போறபடி போங்க, நான் கடைசீல வந்து சேர்ந்துருவேன்.

Sid_316
Seen only shutter island and social network from this list.. shutter island la dicaprio la nallave nadichu irrukaru :thumbsup:

AravindMano
9th January 2011, 05:38 AM
Except The Ghost Writer vERa edhumE pAkkala :oops: And missed catching Biutiful at Chennai Film Fest. :cry:

jinju
24th January 2011, 08:55 AM
ippdi oru thread inge shtart aairukkunu ippo dhaan paathen...

watched only Social Network, Shutter Island, Fighter from the list. personal favorite Bardem-oda padam paarthadhukkappram vote/opinion eluthuven...True Grit too, downloading going on...

though i dissed Shutter Island after the first watch, i could find merits in Kaappiri's perfo and the film too appealed better to me.

kid-glove
26th January 2011, 11:53 PM
P_R,
Oh Gosh. Thanks. rembavE pugazhureenga. Doubt varrudhu. :lol:

kid-glove
26th January 2011, 11:56 PM
Ryan Gosling in Blue Valentine - :thumbsup:

Years back I thought the boy in "The Believer" is destined for greatness. Proved right.

Williams likewise.

Great acting in an otherwise one-time-watch feature.

kid-glove
27th January 2011, 12:02 AM
Also, extremely impressed by Clooney in "The American". It's the kind of performance that wouldn't be seen as 'award worthy' (the moment towards the end as he drives back to the spot is excellent), but it has such personality that it'd live for ages. Not quite Delon (Le Samourai) though.

kid-glove
27th January 2011, 12:10 AM
Bridges is OK in True Grit.

I'd easily have Gosling in place of him or Jesse Eisenberg among the Oscar noms.

Either way, without having really seen both performances, Bardem should fight out with Firth.

The women category seems far more impressive this year.

Haven't seen Benning (The kids are all right), but other four (Kidman, Lawrence, Williams, and Portman) were all memorable. Would tilt towards Kidman, slightly ahead of Williams IMHO.

Raikkonen
27th January 2011, 01:19 AM
Ryan Reynolds in Buried.

kid-glove
28th January 2011, 06:57 PM
Want to see that. Seeing that it's a minimalistic film, no wonder it's gone off the radar as against Franco's.

Firth is excellent in King's Speech. One of the best male performances this year. His and Gosling's in Blue Valentine (neglected by Academy - dimwits!) are laudable so far (I'm sure Bardem's would join the list. Saw the clip of him breaking down to his daughter. Whoa :notworthy: ). And on Speech, terrific supporting performances by Rush, Carter and Pearce.

Fighter next.

kid-glove
29th January 2011, 07:06 PM
Christian Bale in Fighter :clap:

Melissa Leo equally impressive. Amy Adams very good. Wahlberg - good enough.

Pretty good feature film, but ultimately wanes in comparison to classics of the sport.

kubrick
18th February 2011, 08:46 PM
Casey Affleck in The killer inside me had acted very nice. Though his appearance gives him an extra something for such a character and I dint like the movie at all, he carried himself very finely.

But I would love to see James Franco winning something for his role (though my hopes are down). IMO he was the best this year.

SoftSword
18th February 2011, 08:53 PM
IMHO, Dicaprio better in Shutter..

eggjactly and the concept is also pretty complex in shutter compared to tedious nested loops in inception.

kid... sema useful thread.... seekirama indha padattha ellam cover panren...

kid-glove
19th February 2011, 12:07 AM
Softie,
Yep, Inception takes so much effort to build up the inescapable labyrinth, only to break the 4th wall and jump right out of it. Jumping out of one loop to another with consummate ease takes away its joys in repeat viewing.

OTOH, Shutter builds a singular maze-like structure. Staying true to that structure, it ensures the entire runtime is dedicated to subjective poV (thereby we're always with Ted) of hitting the dead-ends until one surfaces the confines of 'reality'. It's less problematic (unlike Inception) as it redeems the character out of self-deluding (mental) charades, as against taking that leap of faith (ala Cobb) to dodge one's own sinful past & regrets.

kid-glove
19th February 2011, 12:10 AM
Basically these yearly, and decade based lists/threads is to provide an "INDEX" (like Hub's main page or index of the book) for each other. Pointers to cover lost ground.