PDA

View Full Version : You could be refused entry to DISNEYLAND with a net ticket:(

app_engine
6th January 2011, 10:49 PM
The internet ticket is for "any day".

If the park has excess # of visitors on a given day and you reach there late, they refuse entry - asking you to come on another day or go to their California Adventures park which is close by.

Happened to us on Dec 28th and forced us some change of travel plans. (Visited it on Dec 31st by going early).

Also, the cancellation of net tickets is not easy. Can't do on web or phone call but need to mail & get refund as in the case of "mail-in-rebate" :-(

Wibha
6th January 2011, 11:33 PM
What? :shock:

I've never heard of something like this happen before :(

app_engine
6th January 2011, 11:41 PM
I was informed that this happens every year during the holidays and one disney worker (on the ticket counter) advised me never to plan a visit during the time period between Dec 25th & Jan 1st at the "original" disneyland of Anaheim county.

There are absolutely no exceptions. This is like a "fire-emergency" situation and force majeure clause. In any case, the ticket has such things in fine print. (capacity limitations / not refundable / transferable etc).

I have seen 100's being refused on that day. Some who couldn't alter their travel plans were seen cursing / shouting while scrambling to get refund.

Wibha
6th January 2011, 11:44 PM
Oh Wow!!

Yeah planning Disneyland during winter break is not a good idea. :|

Did you go around Downtown Disney though? It's beautiful!

I'm guessing Universal is not that way. They had discount tickets at Costco and those tickets were sold out too.

app_engine
6th January 2011, 11:50 PM
I'm guessing Universal is not that way. They had discount tickets at Costco and those tickets were sold out too.

Actually, we were quite late at Universal also (around 11 AM), again with internet tickets.

There was huge crowd and many at the entrance which was closed briefly, when we arrived.

They let us in but there was a 5 minute or so waiting at the gate (reason - too many people inside). People started shouting while waiting but such murmurings went away once the gates opened.

Interestingly, the internet ticket for Hollywood had two options - an extra day's entry or entry for a whole year, i.e. till end 2011 (with few blocked-out dates) for the same price.

app_engine
6th January 2011, 11:52 PM
Such crowds and irritated people etc is not new to us (actually I got nostalgia of TN / Kerala bus and train stations).

However, for some, this was an entirely new experience :-)

Wibha
7th January 2011, 12:00 AM
I've never experienced such a thing. I doubt I want to :roll: I would get really frustrated :|

Yes even on regular days Universal's yearly pass and one day pass is the same price but cheaper than what it was during the vacation season :) There are a lot of blocked-out dates though and you have to pay an extra amount to have no blocked dates.

app_engine
7th January 2011, 01:04 AM
All-said, I really loved the FindingNemo "sub marine" ride :-)

(& my daughter was thoroughly satisfied with kisses / hugs by mickey after so much of nachcharippu to me "மிக்கி எங்க டாடி, இன்னும் காணோம்" in an almost-hour-long line)

app_engine
7th January 2011, 01:10 AM
My reco is to visit sometime in Jan. My earlier visit to the same place was in Jan, with phenomenally less crowd but nothing less in shows. (I still remember the laser light show in 1996 where they projected a mickey story on "water-screen" - using water fountains creating a "screen" and laser light projection on it. It also included live elements on the ship with the beautiful pocohantas aboard. No fire works can come anywhere close to such shows).

I would also rate the "on-the-castle-show" at Disneyworld, FL last year much superior to anything at CA this year (titled "dreams-come-true", where disney characters appear live on various parts of the castle to enact a dance drama - combined with fire works and special effects) :-)

Nerd
7th January 2011, 01:17 AM
Interestingly, the internet ticket for Hollywood had two options - an extra day's entry or entry for a whole year, i.e. till end 2011 (with few blocked-out dates) for the same price.
That's a rip-off IMO. They don't have a 1 day entry ticket at all which is ridiculous. Most of the tourists visiting the Universal Studios won't bother checking them out within a year or so. Luckily I checked with AAA and they offered us $15 off a 1 day + next six months free ticket(very few black out dates). But no, I won't be going there again in the next six months :twisted:

We went to the Universal Studios on Christmas eve and it was not all that crowded. The average wait time on all the rides was < 20 mins, all day. Wait time on the studio tour was 30-45 mins though.

app_engine
7th January 2011, 01:24 AM
Most of the tourists visiting the Universal Studios won't bother checking them out within a year or so.

Very true!

On the crowd thingy - I don't know whether it was weather-related or FL / CA difference or an indicator of economy. Last year, same time period but in Orlando. The crowds at all three parks (disney / universal / seaworld) were nothing compared to this year's at disney or hollywood at CA

app_engine
7th January 2011, 01:26 AM
Wait time on the studio tour was 30-45 mins though.

It was slightly over an hour :-(

I felt like it lasted much longer whenever I recalled the "zero-wait-walk-in" during Jan-96.

rajkumarc
14th January 2011, 02:09 AM
Never experienced such a situation at Disney (at LA). Went once during Thanksgiving and it was so crowded. The last visit was during a regular weekend last August and it was still crowded due to the summer vacation for kids.

app_engine
14th January 2011, 02:22 AM
rajkumarc,

I believe such a situation happens only during Dec holidays. When we're telling our experience to a friend in the bay area, they told it was talked about in the local news channels :-)

Interestingly, the disappointment on Tuesday made us to rush-up and enter before 9 AM on Friday (Dec 31st) :-)