PDA

View Full Version : Maestro ilaiyaraaja news & titbits

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

rajsekar
13th March 2012, 01:52 AM
Plum, aakarsh, teja - great points. We all feel the disappointment and pain on reading these flimsy reasons given for not awarding SRR its due recognition. It's all the more terrible to see that the award(s) was given to a less deserving effort. At this point, the decision of repealing the Best Background Score given to "Laptop" based on technical grounds (Auditorium had audio problems) can be raised only by a Jury member. I have formally submitted an appeal letter to I&B Minister, Ambika Soni and DFF Director (contact information from DFF website). The entire Tamil film world knows that Maestro should have got atleast half dozen National Awards since 1977.

The second biggest omission is that SRR was not considered for Best Telugu Film among 18 nominations. This is ridiculous. I am expecting our political leaders (TDP and BJP) to raise this issue in AP Assembly and Parliament. Again I have shot letters/ emails to prominent TDP and BJP leaders. With ongoing fights on Telengana statehood, TDP may not raise this subject in AP Assembly. For BJP, SRR is a great cultural subject that is near and dear to everyone in the party besides striking the right chord amongst all Indians. Is SRR not worthy of a Best Regional Language film? "Vagai Sooda Vaa" and "Indian Rupee" won Best Regional film awards - SRR is much better than these two films. Let BJP members raise this valid question in Parliament. The obvious lapse should be pointed out to I&B Minister. The million dollar question is this - Why is the Telugu Film industry (MAA) not doing anything about this? Telugu Producers and Directors can sign a petition or do something. If I&B Minister revokes the award given to "Laptop", Mamta Banerjee will bring the Central government to its knees. That's how our democracy works - if you are silent, you will be trampled. "Aadukalam" won six awards last year after Sun Pictures did heavy marketing in New Delhi. Yelamanchili Sai Babu will never again produce a movie like SRR - this is very unfortunate. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Truth will eventually prevail and hard work never goes unrewarded. Let Maestro continue his work. For 2013, Prakash Raj should start marketing "Dhoni" right now - couple of awards is certain.

Plum
13th March 2012, 08:32 AM
Look - let's be practical. Truth WILL NOT eventually prevail. Most IR fans are 30+. Are you still innocent enough to believe Truth will prevail? UngaLukku vidhikkapattadhu ivLO dhaan, take the tonty fi rubees and leave, that's all. The way it unfolded - with a director who worked with him stabbing him in the back - should tell you what fate has in store for IR. I mean, the unwritten rule for national awards jury is to award any classical-based, devotional movies with best music award. Rarely have they wavered from this. Why did this happen this year? Just when IR had a sure fire devotional in his kitty? Think. That is how fate is playing it. Just watch - next year we'll have a "normal" jury that awards keeravani for sai baba movie. Ippove ipdi polambaringa? 1980sla epdi irundhirukkum?

Gregorysab
13th March 2012, 08:36 AM
Rajsekar,

Honestly, I am not sure if SRR is worthy of Best Regional Film award at NA? I dont say that its a bad film, but did i didnt feel that it was a great film. It was a good effort though, given the times we are living in. Thats about it. Besides, in general, the opinion in this film is divided, despite it being a commercial hit. Forget public or even the jury - just look at the opinions of the members on this forum here only. Some felt it good. Some felt it very tacky and guady. Some felt t boring. What everyone liked was Raaja's music. But as a film, the opinions are diverse. Is it not possible that the jury members also had diverse opinions? And also, the producer made the film for people, not for awards. I think he earned crores form its success and a mere Rs.5 lakh prize with a shawl is not going to encourage or discourage him from making further films. The film is a financial success and in this age of commercial mass films, that is quite an achievement for him, which alone should matter. Do you think he will again produce a film like SRR if the film flopped and yet won 2 NAs?

Jury member Satish posed an excellent question. Should there always be a "Best Telugu Film" award? - which means picking the best out of telugu films alone. Or should there be a "Best Regional Language Award" - which means picking the best out of all films in all regional languages, thus widening the competition/comparison net across all languages ? I think Satish posed this question to people to debate on... because i believe there will be more changes to the rules for NA in 2013.

And Prakash Raj's Dhoni??? again - many people had diverse opinions. Some felt it was too melodramatic. I am not sure if that would win. But we can never say! I didnt watch the film though - so no comments.

Plum
13th March 2012, 08:38 AM
Aakarsh, not onyl did Kirboni(that's his suggested name for bengali movies) win a NA for annamayya(yeah, the great album with annamayya kritis orchestrated worse than Srikanth Deva did for bharathiyaar songs and the one original song was the GREAT ElE ElE maradala) - he did it against Raja's Malayalam magnum-opus Guru. That was a watershed moment for me w.r.t NAs. That was the moment I realised that the awrds he got for SaagaraSangamam, RudraVeena and SindhuBhairavi were not recognition for him. It just so happened that any semi-decent+ classical related album would be easily pushed through in NA jury. Those 3 awards instantly lost currency with me. There is no external award that has recognised IR truly. Just like MSV. Enna IR got 3 coincidental NAs, which still are not recognition of his genius.

Gregorysab
13th March 2012, 12:20 PM
I agree plum!

you brought back the memories of K.Raghavendra Rao's fruity-erotica concepts, by referring to Maradalaa song :-) So Keeravani won NA for that! ouch! (digression/ i still find it amusing that some of the raaja fans I know, rate Keeravani much higher than ARR - not that Keeravani is not talented, but i prefer his Hindi albums only and thats where he did some nice work. Thats about it. His telugu albums, barring Kshana Kshanam, are extremely disappointing and way too mass-y that I find the comparison with ARR & rating Keeravani higher than ARR to be very funny & ridiculous :-D - but thats my opinion anyway - digression ends//).

But i still wonder. If anything with classical music wins NA, how come Swarna Kamalam missed it? And if the same trend was continuing, how come Uliyin Osai missed it? I was expecting a NA for Uliyin Osai (not because the jury really recognize the music, but by blindly following the thumb rule that it has rich classical music). As i quickly looked into wikipedia now,i see that Ousepachan won NA for Ore Kadal that year. Haven't heard Ore Kadal though. But was Uliyin Osai atleast a forerunner that year?

Plum
13th March 2012, 04:23 PM
Aakarsh, ofcourse not ANY movie with classical base. The 3 movies Raja got his award for were also strong dramatic films.I can't explain Swarna Kamalam but I have always felt Sk was a lighter film and lighter music compared to SS or SB or SankaraB or RV. Maybe that year we had a jury like this year. Uliyin Osai was a crappy movie which the jury possibly didn't sit through :). And Ore Kadal was Excellent. Young Shwetha Mohan surpassed herself.

layman10
13th March 2012, 06:47 PM
A raja song used in an ad video (from twttr) http://vimeo.com/38152967 Myself only started liking this song more recently.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
13th March 2012, 07:43 PM
ராஜா பைத்தியங்களிலேயே ராஜபைத்தியம் நான் தான்! (http://ohoproduction.blogspot.in/2012/03/blog-post_13.html)

எட்டு ஆண்டுகளாக செல்போனில் ஒரே ரிங் டோனை வைத்திருப்பவனை சரியான பைத்தியக்காரன் என்றே நீங்கள் அழைக்க விரும்புவீர்கள்,எனில் என்னையும் அப்படியே அழையுங்கள்.
2003-ன் இறுதியில் ‘பிதாமகன்’ ரிலீஸாகி சில தினங்களே ஆன நிலையில், நானும் பாலாவும், காரில் அமர்ந்து பீர் குடித்த படியே, ஏற்காடு மலையேறிக்கொண்டிருந்த போதுதான், முதன்முதலாக, ‘விருமாண்டி சண்டியரை நோக்கி ,சங்கீதத்தின் ஒரே சண்டியர் ராஜா சொன்ன ’உன்ன விட இந்த உலகத்தில் ஒசந்தது ஒண்ணுமில்ல’ பாடலைக்கேட்டு கிறங்கினேன்., மலையிலிருந்து இறங்கின உடனே என் செல்போனின் ரிங்டோனாக அன்று அரியனை ஏறிய பாட்டு இன்று வரை இறங்கவில்லை.

சலங்கை ஒலி’ இது மவுனமான நேரம்...,‘நாயகன்’ நீ ஒரு காதல் சங்கீதம்...,’ புன்னகை மன்னன்’ ‘என்ன சத்தம் இந்த நேரம்?..., மவுனராகம்’ நிலாவே வா...,காத்திருக்க நேரமில்லை’ வா காத்திருக்க நேரமில்லை..., நாடோடித்தென்றல்’ ஒரு கணம் ஒரு யுகமாக..., சிப்பிக்குள் முத்து’ மனசுமயங்கும்..., சத்யா’ வளையோசை கலகலவென..... வரிசையில் நான் அந்தப்பாடலை இதுவரை ஆயிரம் முறையாவது கேட்டிருப்பேன். பாடலில் கமலுடன் நாட்டுப்புறத்தமிழில் கொஞ்சியிருந்த ஷ்ரேயா கோஷலுக்கு எனது இதயத்தின் இடது ஓரத்தில் சின்னதாக ஒரு கோயில் கூட கட்டியிருந்தேன்.’என்னவிட உன்ன சரிவரப்புரிஞ்சிக்க யாருமில்ல ...’ என்று ஷ்ரேயா எனக்காகப்பாடுவதாக நினைத்துக்கொள்வது சொல்லவொண்ணா சுகமாக இருக்கிறது.

தமிழ் நாடகத்தந்தை சங்கரதாஸ் சுவாமிகளின் பாடல்களைக் கேட்டு வளர்ந்திருந்தாலும், சின்ன வயசிலிருந்தே ராஜாவின் மீது வெறிகொண்ட ரசிகன் நான். அவருக்கு என்னைபோல் லட்சக்கணக்கில் பைத்தியங்கள் உண்டென்றாலும், ராஜா பைத்தியங்களிலேயே ராஜபைத்தியம் நான் தான் என்ற தலைமைப்பொறுப்பை என்னிடம் தயவு செய்து விட்டு விடுங்கள் . அப்படி விட்டுக்கொடுக்க நீங்கள் முன்வரும் பட்சத்தில் என் வாழ்நாள் முழுக்க,எம்.எல்.ஏ, மந்திரி, முதல் அமைச்சர், பிரதமர், அமெரிக்க பிரதமர் போன்ற எந்தப்பதவிகளுக்கும் நான் உங்களொடு போட்டியிட மாட்டேன் என்று எத்தனை ரூபாய் ஸ்டாம்ப் பேப்பரில் வேண்டுமானாலும் எழுதி கையெழுத்திடுகிறேன்.

வைரமுத்துவை எனக்குப் பிடிக்கும் அவர் இளையராஜாவுடன் இருந்தவரை. பாரதிராஜாவை எனக்குப் பிடிக்கும் அவர் படத்துக்கு ராஜா இசையமைக்கும்போது மட்டும். ‘நீ தானே என் பொன் வசந்தம்’ படம் ,ஏ.ஆர். ரகுமான்,மற்றும் ஹாரிஸ்ஜெயராஜிடமிருந்து எங்கள் ராஜா கைக்கு மாறும்போது, ‘படம் பிரமாதமா வந்துருக்காம்’ என்று சல்லி பைசா அட்வான்ஸ் வாங்காமல் மிஸ்டர் திகில் முருகன் பார்க்க வேண்டிய பி.ஆர்.ஓ. வேலையை நான் பார்க்க ஆரம்பித்துவிடுகிறேன். :lol:

என்னைப்பொறுத்தவரை என் வாழ்வின் இனிமையான தருணங்கள் என்பவை ராஜாவின் பாடலைக் கேட்டுக்கொண்டிருந்த, கேட்டுக்கொண்டிருக்கும் தருணங்கள்தான்.இது சங்கீதம் அறிந்த அறியாத தமிழர்கள் சகலருக்கும் பொருந்தும் என்பதே என் கருத்து.

மிகவும் வறுமையான பின்னணியில் எட்டுப் பிள்ளைகளைப்பெற்று வளர்க்க, நாள்தோறும் நள்ளிரவில் தோட்டம் போய் தண்ணீர்பாய்ச்சிய என் தாய் லச்சம்மாளின் நினைவு வரும்போதெல்லாம் ‘பொன்னப்போல ஆத்தா என்னப்பெத்துப்போட்டா’ [என்னை விட்டுப்போகாதே ]பாட்டு கேட்டு அழுதிருக்கிறேன்.மனசு சரியில்லாத வேளைகளில், ‘நான் யாரு எனக்கேதும் தெரியலையே, ஆலோலம் பாடி ‘ மாதிரி பாடல்கள் கொண்டு என் கண்ணீர் துடைப்பது ராஜாவின் சுரங்கள்.ஒரு பூ மலர்வதைக்கூட சங்கீதமாகச் சொல்ல முடியும் என்று மலர்ந்த ‘வெள்ளி முளைத்தது’ [கீதவழிபாடு] கேட்டு விடிந்தது எத்தனை காலைப்பொழுதுகள் என்று சொல்லிமாளாது.

அமெரிக்கன் கல்லூரியில்* படித்துக்கொண்டிருந்தபோது, நானும் எனது நண்பர்களும். வகுப்பறைகளில் இருந்ததை விட ,கல்லூரிக்கு எதிரே இருந்த கணேஷ் டீ ஸ்டாலில் தான் அதிகம் நின்றிருப்போம்.

‘மண்வாசனை, கரையெல்லாம் செண்பகப்பூ’ நான் பாடும் பாடல், பயணங்கள் முடிவதில்லை,இளமைக்காலங்கள்’ என்று கேட்டு எங்களைத்திகைக்க வைப்பதையே ராஜா சலிப்பின்றி செய்து வந்தார்.கணேஷ் ஸ்டாலில் டீ கேட்பதுவும், ராஜாவின் பாட்டீ குடிப்பதுமே கல்லூரி காலங்களில் எங்களது முக்கியமான பணியாக இருந்தது.

ராஜாவை நான் முதன் முதலில் தனிப்பட்ட முறையில் சந்தித்தது, ஏ.வி.எம்.ஸ்டுடியோவில், ‘அதர்மம்’ பட பூஜை தினத்தன்று.

எனது அமெரிக்கன் கல்லூரி வகுப்புத்தோழன் ரமேஷ் என்கிற ரமேஷ்கிருஷ்ணன், அடையாறு திரைப்படக்கல்லூரியில் டைரக்ஷன் கோர்ஸ் முடித்து, அங்கேயே ஆக்டிங் கோர்ஸ் முடித்த சுரேஷ் என்பவரை தயாரிப்பாளராக அமைத்து தனது’அதர்ம ஆட்டத்தை ஆரம்பித்திருந்தான். பட நிறுவனத்தின் பெயர் ஜி.கே.ஃபிலிம்ஸ்.தயாரிப்பாளர்கள் அண்ணன் தம்பி மூன்று பேர்.ரமேஷ் மூத்தவர், சுரேஷ் நடுவர். சதீஷ் கடைக்குட்டி.

ரமேஷ் கிருஷ்ணனுடன் சேர்ந்து சந்தித்த நாலைந்து சந்திப்புகளிலேயே நான் தயாரிப்பாள சகோதரர்களிடம் மிகவும் நெருக்கமாகிவிட்டேன்.
இந்த சமயத்தில் நான் ஆசிரியராகவும், பார்ட்னராகவும் இருந்த ‘சத்ரியன்’ அரசியல் பத்திரிகை தனது இறுதி மூச்சை நெருங்கிக்கொண்டிருந்ததால், நான் எனது பெரும்பாலான நேரங்களை டிஸ்கஷன் ,சீட்டு விளையாடுவது என்று ‘அதர்ம’ கோஷ்டிகளுடனேயே கழிக்க ஆரம்பித்திருந்தேன்.

நன்றாக நினைவிருக்கிறது. அன்று அதிகாலை.ஏ.வி.எம்மில் லேசான தூறலடித்துக்கொண்டிருக்க பூஜைக்கு சரியான நேரத்தில் ராஜா இறங்கிவர, நான் தெய்வ தரிசனம் கிடைத்ததுபோல் சிலிர்த்து நின்றேன்.

முதல்நாளே கொஞ்சம் மன ரீதியாக, ரமேஷ் உட்பட்ட டீமை நான் தயார் படுத்தியிருந்த வகையில்,ரமேஷ்கிருஷ்ணன் உட்பட படத்தில் பணியாற்ற இருந்த அத்தனை டி.எஃப்.டி.மாணவர்களும் தாங்கள் போட்டிருந்த முரட்டு ஜீன்ஸ் பேண்டையும் பொருட்படுத்தாது, பட்பட் என்று ராஜா காலில் விழுந்து நமஸ்காரம் வைத்தவுடன்’ இந்தப்படம் கண்டிப்பா நல்லா ஓடும் என்று என் மனசுக்குப் பட்டது.
அன்று மதியமே மனோ குரலில் ‘தென்றல் காற்றே ஒன்றாய்ப் போவோமா?’ என்ற பாடலையும்,அடுத்த இரு தினங்களில் மேலும் 4 பாடல்களையும் முடித்துத்தந்த ராஜாவின் ஒவ்வொரு அசைவையும் ரமேஷை விட்டு நகராமல் கவனித்துக்கொண்டே இருந்தேன். படம் பின்னணி இசைக்குப்போனபோது,திரைக்குள் நுழைந்துகொண்ட மந்திரவாதி போலவே எனக்குத்தெரிந்தார்.

அவருள் இருக்கிற இசை என்ற ஒன்றை எடுத்து விட்டால்,ராஜா என்பவர் இருந்துகொண்டிருக்கும் இடம் வெற்றிடமாய் மாறிவிடுமோ என்று எண்ணுமளவுக்கு முழுக்க முழுக்க இசையாகமட்டுமே அவர் இருந்தார், தெரிந்தார்.

அதற்கு அப்புறம் ‘சேது’ பிதாமகன்’ சமயங்களில் பாலாவுடன் , இளையஞானி கார்த்திக்ராஜா தனக்கு மேனேஜராக இருக்கச்சொல்லி வீட்டுக்கு அழைத்தபோது என்று பலமுறை மிக நெருக்கமாக ராஜாவை நான் சந்தித்திருக்கிறேன். ஆனால் இதுவரை ஒரு வார்த்தை கூட நான் பேச நினைத்ததில்லை.

பக்தனுக்கு தெய்வத்தோடு என்ன பேச்சு வேண்டிக்கிடக்கு?

V_S
13th March 2012, 07:49 PM
Wonderful Discussion and excellent points Plum and aakarsh!

We used to know that Maestro's music wherever played, it absorbs you. That's why we can see many say (including our own App) that his music was popular even in buses, tea shops, barber shops. This is true for every earlier composers too. So dismissing the score just based on Mono/Stereo effect is just betraying themselves. I believe it was already decided to blanket dismiss SRR in any category. Even leave out SRR, if there are any political/personal conflicts, but what about other films which Maestro did last year, especially ASK. Jury has watched that film and gave away couple of awards too. Didn't they hear the score? If I agree they didn't have a stereo in their theatres, that's why they rejected SRR, for ASK, nothing is required of that, there is feel in everybit of score. If you are able to hear 'Laptop' without Stereo and appreciate it, why not the same could be done for ASK? Just the title score alone is enough to bag any award.

Leave out the film and score, what is the criteria for the songs. Still they need to hear the song with visuals and hear it once before deciding or they pick up the CD and listen to them separately? With visuals it should have been absorbing. Even if it is latter, the Bengali film songs does not stand even a smallest chance possible against SRR (or any IR soundtrack released last year). Also going by the thumb rule of classical music getting advantage, we are at no advantage this year, why? That was a monstrous contribuion to Indian classical/folk music with a perfect blend from the west.

If Plum's expectation shattered from Guru, mine shattered from the day when SRR/ASK was not awarded for music category. As Plum mentioned, next year will be a smooth ride for many, even if Maestro comes up with brilliant score in Dhoni/Mayilu/NEPV, as that will be ruled out against the classical music in Sai Baba or some obsure movie called 'iPad'.

<dig>
I heard from ARR forum that rockstar was not even submitted to the jury which is even more pity compared to IR films (atleast these films were atleast played to them). I don't know why all this happening this year? I am more surprised there because it even won Film fare award.
</dig>

Something is not right totally!

Gregorysab
13th March 2012, 08:17 PM
<dig>
I heard from ARR forum that rockstar was not even submitted to the jury which is even more pity compared to IR films (atleast these films were atleast played to them). I don't know why all this happening this year? I am more surprised there because it even won Film fare award.
</dig>

Something is not right totally!

that atleast vindicates ARR, in the eyes of some raaja fans :-) Imagine if Rockstar was submitted and jury gave award to it.. i can imagine how the blame-game would have been.. "NA awards rigged", "PR can buy even NA award" etc etc :-)

But to get back to the point - indeed, ASK also stood a chance... i didnt listen to the complete score but the title score itself showed the promise. And I think the jury members are not musicians (or qualified musicologists) who can give an opinion on music. They are basically not subject matter expects. So, whats the point anyway

SoftSword
13th March 2012, 08:37 PM
everybody knows the NA jury is not perfect/consistent..
i really wonder at the intensity of disappointment here... NOM

rajaramsgi
13th March 2012, 10:34 PM
சகலகலா வல்லவரே,

நீங்க அவ்ளோ பெரிய ஆளா? நிச்சயம் கும்பிட்டுக்கிறேன். திரும்ப திரும்ப படித்தேன் உங்க கட்டுரையை .. நீங்க எழுதினதெல்லாம் வரலாறு. ராஜபயித்தியம் மேட்டர் டாப். அதர்மம் பூஜையை நேர்ல பார்த்த மாதிரி இருந்தது. சென்னைலையா இருக்கீங்க?

கடைசி லைன் .. பஞ்ச்.

rajsekar
13th March 2012, 11:20 PM
SoftSword/V_S and other members - We live in 2012 where social media (Facebook, blogs, forums, Tweets, emails) can shake democracies. This is not 1998 or 2004 where decisions by government can be thrust on people. ARR and Maestro fans should write about this omission everywhere. I am just doing the same. Just resigning to the fact that Rockstar/ARR/ASK were ignored for Best Music/Background score is not acceptable. If fans like us don't even write (or) blog about such obvious omissions, then we are not fit to be called "Fans".

I am trying to get the email contact of Yelamanchilli Saibabu to express our sympathies for SRR snub. The Yalamanchilli community (http://www.yalamanchili.co.in) is very rich and have pulls in the AP political sphere - just like Sun Pictures. I'm sure Saibabu is doing everything he can to bring this omission to notice. What's the use of forums if we don't address these problems? For Best Music Direction (Songs), "Ronjona" songs are pathetic. Rahman did a fantastic job with "Rockstar" with world class musicians - percussion/ strings for 'Nadaan Parindey' and 'Saada Haq' songs are excellent. The bottom line is that the entire jury who judged the Best Music and Background Score were "HEARING IMPAIRED" or "DEAF".

app_engine
14th March 2012, 12:02 AM
the entire jury who judged the Best Music and Background Score were "HEARING IMPAIRED" or "DEAF".

If they were really so, they could be pardoned :-)

Because they could hear (and even identify that the theater was mono and not stereo in the year 2012), they need to be punished :mad:

kiru
14th March 2012, 12:21 AM
What Guru never got an award ? ha ha .. very funny. We should not worry about these guys anyways. I was listening to aruna girana this morning .. wow..who can make such high quality popular music ?

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
14th March 2012, 01:12 AM
சகலகலா வல்லவரே,

நீங்க அவ்ளோ பெரிய ஆளா? நிச்சயம் கும்பிட்டுக்கிறேன். திரும்ப திரும்ப படித்தேன் உங்க கட்டுரையை .. நீங்க எழுதினதெல்லாம் வரலாறு. ராஜபயித்தியம் மேட்டர் டாப். அதர்மம் பூஜையை நேர்ல பார்த்த மாதிரி இருந்தது. சென்னைலையா இருக்கீங்க?

கடைசி லைன் .. பஞ்ச்.saar, athu naan illa! twitter la kedaicha ling, inga post pannen thassaal

rajsekar
14th March 2012, 05:08 AM
The case of Rockstar is still terrible. I'm reminded of Sanskrit grammar for the word "Mooda" meaning "Fool". The superlative of "Mooda" is known as "Moodaha" meaning "Colossal Idiot". The producers of Rockstar - Dhillin Mehta of Ashtavinayak Cine Vision and Eros International were either drunk or had passed out on Dec 31, 2011, which was the last date to submit nominations. In fact Ashtavinayak is a public company and the "Moodahas" who manage the company are here http://www.ashtavinayakindia.com/investors/boardofdirectors.htm. Where was the Director Imitiaz Ali?

Who is the biggest fool(s) of all - The sound category jury who were 'Hearing Impaired' or the Producer who didn't submit a musical film. Our National Awards is indeed a "National Shame".

SoftSword
14th March 2012, 05:11 AM
saar, athu naan illa! twitter la kedaicha ling, inga post pannen thassaal

sakala... avar ungala kalaikkiraarnu nenakkiren...
otherwise even two lines has a clue that it cannot be u... he cannot read it wrong...

p
14th March 2012, 06:39 AM
Is this ad for real?
http://vimeo.com/38152967

AravindMano
14th March 2012, 07:18 AM
Nee dhAnE en ponvasantham Telugu version hero says in Twitter, Audio might come out by April End.

Sureshs65
14th March 2012, 02:26 PM
Sakala,

Whose post was that?

rajaramsgi
14th March 2012, 03:50 PM
சகலகலா வல்லவரே,

நிச்சயம் கலாயிக்கலப்பா.. தப்பா புரிஞ்சுகிட்டேன். மன்னிச்சுக்கோங்க.. இருந்தாலும், தேடி பிடிச்சு இந்த மாதிரி விஷயங்கள தருகிற உங்கள மாதிரி எல்லோரையும் நிச்சயம் கும்பிடலாம். இல்லாட்டி என்னைய மாதிரி ஆட்களுக்கு இந்த விஷயங்கள் தெரியாமலேயே போயிடும். அப்பறம், அத எழுதினது யாருங்க? அந்த லிங்க்'ல பேரு இல்லையே..

நான் ராஜாவை ரெண்டு முறை தான் பார்த்திருக்கிறேன்.. இது பெரிய சாதனை இல்லை. ஆனா நானும் பார்திருக்கிறேன்னு பீத்திக்கிரதுக்காக இங்கே எழுதுகிறேன்.

இசை அமைப்பாளர்கள் சங்க கட்டிட நிதிக்காக ராஜா, எம். எஸ்.வி, கே.வி. மகாதேவன், கங்கை அமரன் எல்லோரும் சேர்ந்து திருச்சில ஆர்கஸ்ட்ரா 1987/1988'ல பண்ணாங்க.. முதல் முறையா அப்போ தான் பார்த்தேன். ( தெப்பகுளம் பிஷப் ஹிபர்ல 12th படிக்கும்போது)

1994'ல சென்னை நாரத கான சபாவில் அவருக்கு பாராட்டு விழா நடந்தது, சிம்பொனி இசைக்காக கர்னாடக மேதைகள் எல்லாம் சேர்ந்து நடத்தினது. இந்த விழால இரண்டாம் முறையாக பார்த்தேன். (அண்ணாமலை'ல படிச்சு கிழிச்சுட்டு திருவல்லிகேணியில் வெட்டியாக வேலை இல்லாம இருந்த காலம்)

இப்போ சென்னைல இருக்கிறவங்களுக்கு அவரை பார்க்கிற வாய்ப்பு அதிகம். கிடைச்சா பயன் படுத்திகோங்க. அடிகடி வெளில தென் படறார் போல.

Nerd
14th March 2012, 07:53 PM
Nee dhAnE en ponvasantham Telugu version hero says in Twitter, Audio might come out by April End.
Aahaa padamE April release-nnu padichadhaa nyaabagam. May be because of the pepsi problem.

SoftSword
14th March 2012, 07:54 PM
no surprises...
and am sure GVM would hav been amazed by the composing/recording speed which is unusual for him.

skr
14th March 2012, 08:14 PM
இளையராஜா இதுவரை இசையமைத்த அத்தனை பாடல்களையும் விஞ்ஞான முறைப்படி மெருகேற்றும் வேலை

நடைபெற்று வருகிறது. இதில் தேர்ச்சி பெற்ற ஒருவர் கோவையில் இருந்து வந்து பல மாதங்களாக இந்தப் பணியில்

ஈடுபட்டிருக்கிறார்.

குமுதம், 21 .03 .2012

Seems like someone in Coimbatore is digitally remastering all of his songs.
Now connecting this to his website , could this be the reason why the website is getting delayed ?
Me thinks so , nevertheless great news.

layman10
14th March 2012, 08:53 PM
இளையராஜா இதுவரை இசையமைத்த அத்தனை பாடல்களையும் விஞ்ஞான முறைப்படி மெருகேற்றும் வேலை

நடைபெற்று வருகிறது. இதில் தேர்ச்சி பெற்ற ஒருவர் கோவையில் இருந்து வந்து பல மாதங்களாக இந்தப் பணியில்

ஈடுபட்டிருக்கிறார்.

குமுதம், 21 .03 .2012

Seems like someone in Coimbatore is digitally remastering all of his songs.
Now connecting this to his website , could this be the reason why the website is getting delayed ?
Me thinks so , nevertheless great news.

Rajiv, Any context?. Who is doing this AGI? Is it under Rajas supervision?. I think he was not keen in this aspect.

Apart from the recording banal aspects we heard here in this forum. It is said that master tapes were routinely reused!. is it true?.

skr
14th March 2012, 10:52 PM
I am not very sure Layman
But i have a feeling its not Agi , lets wait and watch what unfolds.

MumbaiRamki
14th March 2012, 11:22 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/Nameisnani

krish244
15th March 2012, 01:16 AM
A singer by name Suri Jagan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suraj_Jagan) has sung for IR in NEPV & YVM. Quite interesting singer choice! Curiosity level rising !

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/music/news-and-interviews/Suraj-Jagan-to-sing-for-Ilayaraja/articleshow/12262350.cms

thanks,

Krishnan

p
15th March 2012, 06:51 AM
This song from Enakku Nane Neethipathi (எனக்கு நானே நீதிபதி - யாரோ சொன்னாங்களாம்)
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00144

features in this compilation!
http://www.rhapsody.com/artist/various-artists/album/music-minus-music/track/yaaro-sannaangalaam

Hearing the song for the first time. Great riffs!

AravindMano
15th March 2012, 09:26 AM
Aahaa padamE April release-nnu padichadhaa nyaabagam. May be because of the pepsi problem.

Dupping started nu Jiiva tweeted. So film shooting over nu ninaikREn.

Gregorysab
15th March 2012, 11:16 AM
A singer by name Suri Jagan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suraj_Jagan) has sung for IR in NEPV & YVM. Quite interesting singer choice! Curiosity level rising !

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/music/news-and-interviews/Suraj-Jagan-to-sing-for-Ilayaraja/articleshow/12262350.cms

thanks,

Krishnan

Interesting!! I am curious which previous Suraj Jagan song impressed upon Raaja that he took him? because Suraj Jagan sang the death-metal song "Zehreeley" in Rock On (did raaja listen to this song? :-) ). And he became famous for "Give me some sunshine" in 3 idiots, for shantanu moitra.

KV
15th March 2012, 11:33 AM
Interesting choice! I'm not really a big fan of the rock songs in Indian films so far (except for a few by Amit), but 'Fareeda' from Shaitan is a deadly one! Good vocals and top-notch guitaring. Gearing-up for some Raaja rock! \m/ \m/

rajaramsgi
15th March 2012, 04:04 PM
கொஞ்சம் திகிலா இருக்கு. ராக், அது இதுன்னு சொல்லி கார்த்திக் ராஜா, யுவன் - ரெண்டு பேரும் இடையில் புகுந்து சொதப்பாமல் இருக்கணும்.. எனக்கென்னவோ சரியாப்படலை.

ராஜா, ராஜாவா இருந்து நச்சுன்னு ஒரு நாலே நாலு லவ் சாங்க்ஸ், கேட்சியா, பக்கா ஆர்கச்ற்றாவோட போட்டு குடுதார்னா புண்ணியமா போகும்.

raja_fan
15th March 2012, 05:01 PM
கொஞ்சம் திகிலா இருக்கு. ராக், அது இதுன்னு சொல்லி கார்த்திக் ராஜா, யுவன் - ரெண்டு பேரும் இடையில் புகுந்து சொதப்பாமல் இருக்கணும்.. எனக்கென்னவோ சரியாப்படலை.

ராஜா, ராஜாவா இருந்து நச்சுன்னு ஒரு நாலே நாலு லவ் சாங்க்ஸ், கேட்சியா, பக்கா ஆர்கச்ற்றாவோட போட்டு குடுதார்னா புண்ணியமா போகும்.

Exactly !

My hopes are down..
I think we are in for an "Yuvan-contaminated Ilaiyaraaja stuff" :((

SoftSword
15th March 2012, 05:03 PM
get ur heads together guys!!
i yaam 100% its gonna be fantastic... super confidant...
mark my words.

SoftSword
15th March 2012, 05:04 PM
i yaam waiting for a song that can beat pichai paathiram for me...

irir123
15th March 2012, 09:56 PM
a very very selfish HCIRF's desire for NEPV album: a modern day cross between Abinandana, Agni Natchatiram, Panneer Pushpangal, Ninaivellam Nithya, Tik Tik Tik - thats all I want!

ambuttuthaen!

app_engine
15th March 2012, 10:10 PM
ambuttuthaen!

:rotfl:

evvaLavu dhArALa manasu ungaLukku :wink:

dochu
15th March 2012, 10:41 PM
Exactly !

My hopes are down..
I think we are in for an "Yuvan-contaminated Ilaiyaraaja stuff" :((

I second that.
Looks like an attempt to be 'youthful' and 'trendy' as in VTV. I doubt IR can match latest generation's hip hop stuff (who are much into kolaveri and others) which I never fit into. IR's ingenuity doesn't lie in such tunes.

Hope IR can break records again with this golden chance. But I am loosing hope seeing the choice of singers.

San_K
15th March 2012, 11:18 PM
Niraya HCIR fansukku ellam pidikkaatha maathri, avanga edhirpaartha amsangal illamal poguthu. Then it will be a super hit album. Good sign

baroque
16th March 2012, 12:07 AM
What album can be youthful, trendy and variety than Agninatchathiram kind of stuff!

come on.. Raja, give us one like that.

anyway...

namba vazhkkaikku thevaiyaanavatrai koduthuttaru, namba bathirapaduthi vaichu enjoy pannarom....:)

Vaazhga Ilayaraja and his team- Shri.Bala,
Shri.Yesudas, Janumma, chithra etc..:ty:

naan content aa grateful aa erukken, ilayaraja!http://www.mayyam.com/talk/images/smilies/thankyou2.gif
vinatha.

Bala (Karthik)
16th March 2012, 12:54 AM
Baffling reactions here :shock:
Appo neenga ellaam ithana naala ennatha rasichutrundheenga? Raaja enna DD la vara light music "conductor"a???

Note: result sodhappalaam, adhu vera vishayam. It's the approach/perception of makkal that flummoxes me

Bala (Karthik)
16th March 2012, 01:02 AM
And by the way, rock as a genre is an almost dying species. A niche at best today. Hardly a "next gen youthu gimmick" :huh: A man who created the best rock riffs till date in IFM (Senorita) - he is aping/influenced by Yuvan/Karthik? When did Karthik do a rock number?
Soap dappa percussion-kum, auto-pilot tune kum varaadha disappointment idhukku varudhu!

app_engine
16th March 2012, 02:00 AM
Soap dappa percussion-kum

My only fear of any new IR-album is that of listening to tsk-tsk sound ; which definitely won't get pass Gautam, if one goes by his past record.

Also, from the pazhassi rAjA time, I don't hear that tsk-tsk much (& bass frequencies greatly improved also). ponnar sankar drum work, for e.g., is acceptable...

(I'll still have complain about male singers - but they are not going to bring down this album any worse than other contemporary ones)

irir123
16th March 2012, 02:54 AM
indha nani twitter, gautam twitter matter ellaam stereotypical 'ahaa enna oru divine music, ennamaa potrukkaaru' jalra rangela irukku!

ivaingalla yaaravadhu, pattu enna genre, enna madhiriyaana creative / innovative stuff use pannirukkaar, at least some hint as to 'this is of the calibre/standard of yesteryear agni natchatiram, mouna ragam, idhayathai thirudaadhey, payanangal mudivadhillai' appdeenu sonnainganna konjam thembu varum!

kadasila, 'chingu chakkan' 'chaan chachaku chaku chaan', 'bing bing bing', 'chajakku jakku', sounds ellaam niranja oru album kuduthaarunnaa, enga gadhi avlodhaan - papparapappaa !

irir123
16th March 2012, 03:01 AM
app_engine - soap dappa, thagara dappa ellaam irukudho illayo, antha original IR energy filled bass line, with acoustic guitar magic, acoustic drum adidhadi irundhaaley podhum!

enna Hindu versionum irukku! adhunaala, IR comprise pannaama, yedho seivaarundra nambikkai irukku!

naanga enna perusaa ethirparkarom ? oru 'valai osai', oru 'thendral vanthu theendum', oru 'megam kottattum', oru 'vaanam keezhey vandhaal enna', oru 'poomaalaiye sol serava'. oru 'poove semboove' - indha rangela album podhumey - idhellaam indha aalukku oru sappa matter! kaalaila pallu vilakkum podhey indha maadhiri tunes ellaam avar mandaiyila sarva saadharanamaa odikkittirukkum!

ada - oru modern 'adiye manam nillunaa nikkaadhadi' style kutthu song with damaal dimeel percussion onnu irundhaaley pattaya kilappumey!

SoftSword
16th March 2012, 03:29 AM
anegamaa ellaam reverse strategy negative posts podranganu nenakkiraen...
taken inspiration from plum, the official chatterjee flow of forumhub!

AravindMano
16th March 2012, 03:51 AM
Baffling reactions here :shock:
Appo neenga ellaam ithana naala ennatha rasichutrundheenga? Raaja enna DD la vara light music "conductor"a???

Note: result sodhappalaam, adhu vera vishayam. It's the approach/perception of makkal that flummoxes me

+1

Some non-raja fan(!) was arguing yesterday with me that Raja should retire. adhukkum idhukkum periya vidhyAsam therila.

jaiganes
16th March 2012, 04:09 AM
+1

Some non-raja fan(!) was arguing yesterday with me that Raja should retire. adhukkum idhukkum periya vidhyAsam therila.
Raaja innum jazz kathukittu irukkaaru.. koodiya seekkiram jazzla rockai serthu athoda namma carnaticai mix panni adhukku yuvanai autola vandhu paada solli
karthik moolamaa kaadhukku edhamaana version onnayum record panni release panninaa, namma hubla ilaiyaraajaavukku ethanai "a" poadanumnu periya panjaayathu nadakkum.. vidunga boss "valar pirai enbadhum thei pirai enbadhum nilavukku theriyaadhu" (thanks to arch nemesis but awesome poet vairamuthuji (like rajiniji))

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
16th March 2012, 11:39 AM
My only fear of any new IR-album is that of listening to tsk-tsk sound ; which definitely won't get pass Gautam, if one goes by his past record.

Also, from the pazhassi rAjA time, I don't hear that tsk-tsk much (& bass frequencies greatly improved also). ponnar sankar drum work, for e.g., is acceptable...

(I'll still have complain about male singers - but they are not going to bring down this album any worse than other contemporary ones)
ithellaam arivujeevi's oda kavalaigaL. album oru kaathalukku mariyaathai renge la irunthaale pothum! main tune is what the masses look for.

Bala (Karthik)
16th March 2012, 12:41 PM
ithellaam arivujeevi's oda kavalaigaL
What exactly does this mean? Seri, appo matravanga ellaam muttaalgal pradhinidhiya? :huh: Unga karuthu enna? Tsk-tsk percussion pidikkuma pidikkaadha? Illa tsk-tsk percussion ellam public-ku oru matter-e illa nu mattum solreengala? Yen, nalla percussion sound kudutha public reject panniruvaangala?

Kadhalukku mariyadhaiyellam oru (Raaja) range-a?!

K
16th March 2012, 12:53 PM
reply for all the above

My strong belief is that Raja Knows "music" better than all of us discussing here.

Bala (Karthik)
16th March 2012, 01:53 PM
My strong belief is that Raja Knows "music" better than all of us discussing here.
Oh, i didn't know that! Idhu theriyama thaan ithana naal inga discuss pannitrundhoma? :oops:

thumburu
16th March 2012, 04:55 PM
app_engine -

naanga enna perusaa ethirparkarom ? oru 'valai osai', oru 'thendral vanthu theendum', oru 'megam kottattum', oru 'vaanam keezhey vandhaal enna', oru 'poomaalaiye sol serava'. oru 'poove semboove' - indha rangela album podhumey - idhellaam indha aalukku oru sappa matter! kaalaila pallu vilakkum podhey indha maadhiri tunes ellaam avar mandaiyila sarva saadharanamaa odikkittirukkum!

ada - oru modern 'adiye manam nillunaa nikkaadhadi' style kutthu song with damaal dimeel percussion onnu irundhaaley pattaya kilappumey!

Oh what a temptation!!!
nAn ellAm oru Ponnar SankarO, oru Snehaveedu "chandrabimbathin" maadhiri paatellaam vandhu vizhundhAle yedheshtam nu nenachindrukken.
Now I feel like expecting "azhagu aayiram" or "Germaniyil senthEn malarae" :)

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
16th March 2012, 04:56 PM
Bala, i, for once, speak for masses. romba technicalities paakka porathillainnu sollren. Nallaa vanthaa, kattaayam athai note panni paaraattuvaanga, otherwise, ithukkaagavellaam pidikkaama poga ellaam chance illai, given that the main melody appeals them. athu thaan mukkiyam.

Kaathalukku mariyaathai became a commercial hit, after a gap, for Raja albums. so athai(becoming hit) sonnen, not about its quality. But record breaking, ellaarukkume pudichirukku, no appeal, chanceless, aa vanthaa namakku santhosham thaane? (Yerkanave vantha albums e, namakku appadi chanceless thaan, but larger audience appadi solla maatraangaLe)

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
16th March 2012, 05:01 PM
reply for all the above

my strong belief is that, you know that "every body knows that already" :lol: but this is an important album. athu marukka mudiyaatha unmai. intha album kku poda vendiya paattai, thaandavakone maathiri oru unknown newcomer album kku pottuttu, thandavakone kku podavendiya music ai intha padathukku pottaa, athu sari illaama poidum. though we will equally like both the albums even if reversed, we will have to agree that a chance is missed. That is less likely to happen, given Raja's ocean deep talent, though, ppl are tend to discuss like this, when films like this happens...

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
16th March 2012, 05:03 PM
kadaisila, album namakku ellaam avvaLavaa pdikkaama, aanaa general audience kku kannaapinnaa nnu pidichi pogavum vaaippu irukku.

Bala (Karthik)
16th March 2012, 05:17 PM
romba technicalities paakka porathillainnu sollren.
There is absolutely nothing technical about it. It's just about end user rasanai, that's it

Sureshs65
16th March 2012, 06:22 PM
Aaaha. This big panchayat it has become eh? In Telugu there is a says, 'aalu ledu, soolu ledu, kodukku peru somalingam'. The guy is not married nor is their any pregnancy involved but the son is already named 'Somalingam' !!!

My take is this. Raja, whoever be the director, will be firm on one thing. That the songs be as per the needs of the film. If Gautam's film requires only tabla music, he will do that, irrespective of what Gautam wants. Plum here had coined the phrase, 'narrative integrity' and Raja has stuck to through and through. So only if Gautam has narrated a story like 'Thandavakone' will he get 'Thandavakone' music :lol: One director narrated a 'youth' story to him and he got 'Om Shanthi' which had a couple of wonderful numbers, including the amazing 'Chinna Polike'. Everything would depend on the story and where Gautham is planning to place the songs in it.

Personally, I have stated this earlier as well, I don't have any particular 'shangam', that the album should be like this or like that. I am very convinced Raja is a man who will not want to repeat himself and will be thinking of doing newer things. So I neither want 'Ninaivellam Nithya' nor 'Kadhalukku Mariyadhai'. I want what he gives :) For example, when 'Pazhassi Raja' came out people thought the music will be on the lines of 'Guru'. It was different, yet it had Raja's stamp, a certain freshness and perfectly suited the movie. So I will personally leave it to Raja (not that I have a choice :lol: ) to give me something new. I want to feel the freshness I felt when I heard 'Chinna Polike' or "Edaya Baagilu' or 'Chengkadhir' and I am sure Raja will ensure it happens.

Gregorysab
16th March 2012, 06:29 PM
In Telugu there is a says, 'aalu ledu, soolu ledu, kodukku peru somalingam'. !!!

:rotfl3::rotfl::rotfl3:

SoftSword
16th March 2012, 06:36 PM
suresh :lol:

use pannikkiraen...

layman10
16th March 2012, 07:02 PM
my strong belief is that, you know that "every body knows that already" :lol: but this is an important album. athu marukka mudiyaatha unmai. intha album kku poda vendiya paattai, thaandavakone maathiri oru unknown newcomer album kku pottuttu, thandavakone kku podavendiya music ai intha padathukku pottaa, athu sari illaama poidum. though we will equally like both the albums even if reversed, we will have to agree that a chance is missed. That is less likely to happen, given Raja's ocean deep talent, though, ppl are tend to discuss like this, when films like this happens...

Raja knows music, also implicitly means he knows film music, including what would be appropriate. But, if people what him to undercut himself and go down to compete with juvenile stuff, that many dir-MD combos who make routine duets/solos irrespective of any movie, added one theme song + or ending patriotic song. That is not going to happen.

SoftSword
16th March 2012, 07:06 PM
ngoyyala... eppodaa paattu release aagumnu irukku...
mokkai podraanga :evil:

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
16th March 2012, 07:08 PM
Suresh, Somalingam nu sollittu neengaLum oru Raamalingathai create pannitteengaLe!

Let me create another Sundaralingam :lol: Raja do music as per situation, ellaam ok and well known. Same raja had answered for a question thus - "Signal la car nikkuthu, oruthar pichai kekkuraar, 500rs eduthen, pdrathukkulla signal pottu vandi start aagiduchi. another instance, appo thaan signal pottu vandi stop aachu, appovum oruthar vanthu kaasu kettaar, neraya tayam irunthuchi, but appo pocket la ettaNaa thaan irunthuchi!"

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
16th March 2012, 07:09 PM
Raamalingam, kaila kaasey, ss ss suntharalingam vaaila dhossey :rotfl:

KV
16th March 2012, 07:09 PM
In Telugu there is a says, 'aalu ledu, soolu ledu, kodukku peru somalingam'. !!!

:rotfl3::rotfl:mudiyalada saami!

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
16th March 2012, 07:10 PM
ngoyyala... eppodaa paattu release aagumnu irukku...
mokkai podraanga :evil:

athuvaraikkum, veNaa neena interesting aa post pannungaLen. intha diskassen ellaam paattu vanthappuramum inge nadakka thaan poguthu :lol2:

SoftSword
16th March 2012, 07:18 PM
paatta kettu karutthu solradhu vera, varradhukku munname negative'a eludhuradhu vera illayaa?
right... ungalukku theriyaadha sattamillai uvar aanar... nadatthungal.

Nerd
16th March 2012, 07:35 PM
Oh, i didn't know that! Idhu theriyama thaan ithana naal inga discuss pannitrundhoma? :oops:
:lol: :lol:

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
16th March 2012, 07:35 PM
negative?! who ya?! where ya?! everybody telling their espettasan, thassaal

K
16th March 2012, 07:54 PM

he knows what to be given, and we must discuss after we listen. I bet he will make people surprise with some unusual stuff. Keep discussion healthy. Hail Raja.

Gregorysab
16th March 2012, 07:57 PM
With so much of pre-release analysis going on, on NEVP... did anyone take into consideration the fact that this film will have a Hindi version too. It is titled as "Assi Nabbe Poorey Sau": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assi_Nabbe_Poorey_Sau

From the telugu/tamil promos, it is evident that Raaja's music will be a backdrop for the film (assuming that the promo scenes were from the movie and not just a marketing gimmick). But Raaja does not have a sizeable repertoire in Hindi, for it to form a backdrop for Hindi version. How is GVM doing to deal this? All said & done, Sadma is the only commercially successful album in Hindi belt and other albums are known only to raaja fans (even in Hindi).

Another question - Will Hindi version have same Tamil/Telugu tunes/arrangements? If yes, then success (of music) in Hindi version will be a key test. Because Hindi is a different ball-game altogether. All the more when the score is supposed to be a 'youth-based" kind.

If Hindi version will have different tunes, catering to the national audience, then we have a double album to cherish :-)

But overall - I am curious about the Hindi version now!

app_engine
16th March 2012, 08:41 PM
If Hindi version will have different tunes, catering to the national audience, then we have a double album to cherish :-)

But overall - I am curious about the Hindi version now!

With Gautam unable to 'penetrate' indhi with even the mighty AR, and thus remaining a non-entity there, I don't think the indhi version of NEPV by IR will have any significant impact...(I'll be happy to be pleasantly surprised there).

Hence, as long as it hits in TF & TeF, the mission is accomplished :-)

rajsekar
16th March 2012, 11:19 PM
Please enjoy the photo stills of our "Hearing Impaired" National Film awards jury members:
http://dff.nic.in/ReportPresentation59thNFA.htm

Look at the National Music awards since it's inception in 1968 - interesting facts:
- KVM was the first recipient, Maestro and Rahman (each 4) are highest recipients to-date, Hindi films (17) are the highest winners followed by
Tamil, Malayalam and Telugu (each winning 6 films). Can you identify the notable omissions here? - MS Viswanathan/ Ramamoorthy, Salil Chowdhary, Dakshinamoorthy, G Devarajan, M Jayachandran, RD Burman. Any prominent music directors that we know?

Year Awardee Name of the film Language
2011 1. Vishal Bharadwaj Ishqiya Hindi
2. Issak Thomas Kottakapally Adaminte Makan Abu (Film score) Malayalam
2010 1. Amit Trivedi Dev.D Hindi
2. Ilaiyaraaja Pazhassi Raja (Film score) Malayalam
2009 Ajay-Atul Jogwa Marathi
2008 Ouseppachan Ore Kadal Malayalam
2007 Ashok Patki Antarnad Konkani
2006 Lalgudi Jayaraman Sringaram Tamil
2005 Vidyasagar Swarabhishekam Telugu
2004 Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy Kal Ho Naa Ho Hindi
2003 A. R. Rahman Kannathil Muthamittal Tamil
2002 A. R. Rahman Lagaan Hindi
2001 Anu Malik Refugee Hindi
2000 Ismail Darbar Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam Hindi
1999 Vishal Bharadwaj Godmother Hindi
1998 M. M. Keeravani Annamayya Telugu
1997 A. R. Rahman Minsaara Kanavu Tamil
1996 Hamsalekha Sangeetha Sagara Ganayogi Panchakshara Gavai Kannada
1995 Ravi (Bombay) Sukrutham & Parinayam Malayalam
Johnson Sukrutham (Film score)[3] Malayalam
1994 Johnson Ponthan Mada[3] Malayalam
1993 A. R. Rahman Roja Tamil
1992 Rajat Dholakia Dharavi Hindi
1991 Hridayanath Mangeshkar Lekin Hindi
1990 Sher Chowdhary Wosobipo Karbi
1989 Ilaiyaraaja Rudra Veena Telugu
1988 Vanraj Bhatia Tamas Hindi
1987 Dr. M. Balamurali Krishna Madhavacharya Kannada
1986 Ilaiyaraaja Sindhu Bhairavi Tamil
1985 Jaidev Ankahee Hindi
1984 Ilaiyaraaja Saagara Sangamam Telugu
1983 Ramesh Naidu Meghasandesam Telugu
1982 Khayyam Umrao Jaan Hindi
1981 Satyajit Ray Hirak Rajar Deshe Bengali
1980 K. V. Mahadevan Shankarabharanam Telugu
1979 Jaidev Gaman Hindi
1978 B.V. Karanth Ghatashraddha Kannada
1977 B.V. Karanth Rishya Shringa Kannada
1976 Bhupen Hazarika Chameli Memsaab Assamese
1975 Ananda Shankar[4] Chorus Bengali
1974 Satyajit Ray Ashani Sanket Bengali
1973 Sachin Dev Burman Zindagi Zindagi Hindi
1972 Jaidev Reshma Aur Shera Hindi
1971 Madan Mohan Dastak Hindi
1970 S. Mohinder Nanak Nam Jahaz Hai Punjabi
1969 Kalyanji-Anandji Saraswati Chandra Hindi
1968 K. V. Mahadevan Kandan Karunai Tamil

rajsekar
17th March 2012, 01:56 AM
Shame on the jury members to have given Best Film award to a movie that had a court case against the main screen play. Strangely our National awards don't have a category for "Original Screenplay" and "Adapted Screenplay". Our Jayakanthan, Sujatha and Bhaskar Shakti (A.Kudhirai novelist) would have got the screenplay awards. A.Kudhirai deserved "Best Film" award.

Reported in "The Hindu" - Writer Sara Aboobacker has claimed that the plot of the film, “Byari”, which recently shared the National Award for Best Film with a Marathi film was borrowed from her novel, “Chandragiriya Theeradalli”, without obtaining the rights to it. While the filmmakers have denied the allegations, Ms. Aboobacker has maintained that she has proof that the film is based on her novel. Ms. Aboobacker said that when the film was awaiting release, she had approached the local court to obtain a stay, but that the court ruled in favour of the producers. She could not approach a higher court in time. Mr. Althaf Hussain Chokkabetu claimed that he was not responsible if the writer had problems with the story. “I am only the producer. How am I to know if the story has been copied from elsewhere? She (Ms. Aboobacker) must approach the writer of the story (for the film) if there is a problem,” he said. Writer of the story for the film Irfan Chokkabettu said that there was “nothing in the allegations”. He said that he had written the story based on an incident in his village. He said that there had been an “iddat” wedding in his village. Mr. Althaf Hussain Chokkabetu said that the story of the film was based on the Shariah and that such an incident had happened in his village. “How can she say that the story is hers?” Mr. Althaf Hussain Chokkabetu asked.

kiru
17th March 2012, 03:44 AM
Suresh, Somalingam nu sollittu neengaLum oru Raamalingathai create pannitteengaLe!

Let me create another Sundaralingam :lol: Raja do music as per situation, ellaam ok and well known. Same raja had answered for a question thus - "Signal la car nikkuthu, oruthar pichai kekkuraar, 500rs eduthen, pdrathukkulla signal pottu vandi start aagiduchi. another instance, appo thaan signal pottu vandi stop aachu, appovum oruthar vanthu kaasu kettaar, neraya tayam irunthuchi, but appo pocket la ettaNaa thaan irunthuchi!"

Amazing explanation that a tune is just a matter of chance.. who says the man is not humble ( and he is honest too ).. I have mentioned this before.. this is like a sport.. you have to be a good/talented person to score high .. but you might also be out with out any points at any time.
For this movie, IMHO, if he sticks o real drum kit/instruments he can still be modern and not mess up the opportunity (like in Balki's movies). Even pazhassi raja had some synth and sound engineering faux pas. Guru that way was very clean.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
17th March 2012, 11:01 AM
http://7swara.com/rcorner/images/raaja_film_year_graph.jpg

raaga_kann
17th March 2012, 12:18 PM
I think it is high time we stopped the Speculation game about NEPV.... Raaja is not a MK (Music Kid). He knows what to give. We can always expect the unexpected from him. Forget about the music reaching to the Mass. (By the by, I really cannot understand the hype surrounding GM... Is he such a master director..?) Let's enjoy the current releases...

PRASAD releasing on 23-Mar-12
THANDAVAKONE releasing on 30-Mar-12

K
17th March 2012, 12:44 PM
http://7swara.com/rcorner/images/raaja_film_year_graph.jpg

2009 had some awesome albums in Tamil,Telugu,Malayalam,Kannada and Hindi with lot of variety.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
17th March 2012, 12:58 PM
By the by, I really cannot understand the hype surrounding GM... Is he such a master director..?He is verymuch known for extracting good songs from MD, and known for picturing that well. THe quality of the song, its video, lyrics all will be of top quality. His films had fails but his songs are huge hit material. No doubt of that, irrespective of MD. added to that, he had frequently shown his love on 80's Raja albums, even in films other MD's were composing. He also produced ASK. So all this added hype to the combo. Needless to say, he is one of the rare director of today's gen, to come to raja. This may start a new episode for Raja's music, in TFM. Thatswhy this hype and hoopla.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
17th March 2012, 03:18 PM
Any song where both Raja and SPB sang jointly?

HonestRaj
17th March 2012, 04:38 PM

general'la thane ketkureenga...

eduthu nan vidava - pudhu pudhu arthangal
vazhi vidu vazhi vidu - paattu paada vaa

oru friendship song.. MSV-IR-SPB padunadha nyabagam

vigneshram
17th March 2012, 04:42 PM

'Poongaathu adhu' from 'Nilave Mugam kaattu'

& recently in Goa (Vaalibaa vaa vaa) along with Chithra

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
17th March 2012, 04:51 PM
whatte gnaan shoon i am?! :( Below song yaarukkum theriyaathunnu nenachittu ketten! aanestu got it prefectly. And other songs ellaam enakku strike aagave illai :(

vazhi vidu vazhi vidu - paattu paada vaa

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
17th March 2012, 08:18 PM
was going thru the back pages... situation kku best tune podrathu Raja is besht nnu sollirunthaanga. i hav a doubt for long time. Agreed and there is no doubt that IR kind of 'sethukkify' tunes for situation. This can be very much said for BGM, more than song, becos, there are many many many tons of repetitive situations and its very easy for us to replace/swap songs btw different films having same situations right? There is nothing too peculiar in most of the songs. In that way, there will be too common situations, very much present in NEPV too. We can even replace songs for them too. for this common situations, its really a great challenge to come up with a fresh, new, latest trend, non repetitive tune every time and this is the challenge which Raja is taking up almost for all film, these days. But alas, the end user is not at all aware of all these hardships. He is same dumb fan wanting for a new, fresh, catchy, trendy melody/tune, thats all. This is where (critics/knowledged fans/ardent fans like us) differ too much from general mass fans. That is why we are wondering why come there dumb mass fans are not adoring the recent Masterpieces of Raja.

The fact all of us know is that, even though great quality is available in Raja's current music, only we ardent fans take extra steps to listen them. For example, listening to Mallu/Telugu albums et all, only we ppl addicted to Raja's music, will do. We seek only for music, new sounds, and flowing creativity and language/actors are not a barrier. THat is one small example. Same can be said about the nice music Raja gives for the small, low budget tamil films which goes un noticed by these general fans. They always listen to songs which appear in Sun/Vijay TV, that too featuring new crop actors(except the legendory Kamal Rajini) and new heroines, new directors etc. They don't realize that, as far music is concerned, all these actors, actress, location etc are just glamorous carriers of the music. For ardent music fans it is finally the music that matters. They are ones who can avoid television for long days. Their only need is internet connection and headphones, to let the ultimate music flow. But now, there has come a chance where, the (pretty dumb) Mass fans meets the Gret Raja, through NEPV. Thats why, all this adithadi, diskassens, phights in this thread! All that is bound to happen and will happen even after many days of NEPV album release!

kameshratnam
17th March 2012, 09:45 PM
following told by JAY KUMAR in RAJA FANS facebook group

raaja was quite inspired by sd burman and rd burman bcz they were in full form when he entered the field and more over during that time tamil industry and its people were dominated by hindi songs and its influence one thing which is quite common in raja's background score is the theme music which follows through out the film and mostly this is based on a particular song like sundar kannal oru sedhi in dalapathi etc...
but this kind of a feel was not adapted by raja himself it was from his inspiration from s d burman sir who had done this way back in the 1972 n it had the theme of a song zarra nattkatt hai yeh sung by latha ji and this kept rolling over the whole film i was quite impressed when i saw this bcz that was the first of its kind in that era. ya now i understood why he kept telling about s d burman sir in all his interviews...

AN EXAMPLE OF GURU AND SISHYA #####
late g.k. venkatesh was one of the gurus of raja sir and he also accompanied gk sir for his films on guitars but as time passed on gk sir had no films and thus was in a bad state thats when raja sir asked his guru to be with him for his recordings composing etc... and he also bought him a own house and a car too, this things were told to me directly by gk sir when i happenend to meet him during shivas recording in mumbai infact he said no one else in this universe could take care of a guru in this manner and he was overwhelmed saying this and it was a nostalgic moment for both of us....

this was a discussion myself with my 2 friends had with purushotaman sir[ raja's rhythm programmer/arranger/conductor and ofcourse the drummer he had right from his 1st film we were in a good spirit and i was eager to know facts about raja's composing/ arranging and other technicalities which i wanted to know, so i was asking puru about all incidences which happened during that time
facts===
in kaadhal oviyam song of allaighal oivathillai --- hihats is manually played where as the kick and side stick was programmed and puru used to on the sequencer while playing the hihats when ever it was required and also stop it

there is a gadget in rhythm field which is called a synth drum which is similar to a the toms of a jazz drim but is smaller and lighter ya it is electronic and sounds that way so was one instance when puru had information about its arrival at trichy airport from where he had to collect it so he left in a hurry to get it and he also had a recording of allaighal oivathillai on the next day so he was just back from trichy in the morning but was a little late thus had to get into the studio with the equipment but he was quite eager to hear its sounds and just manged to open it and connect it as soon as he had finished doing the connections the song was already rehearsed by other fellow musicians and raja asked puru to go through the song , he said just a moment raja i just want to check my new instrument and then i ll be joining you all and raja agreed and puru just hit the pads f the drums and there was an electonic sound which came out and at the same time bharatiya raja was also in and as he heard the sound he was amused and asked puru to play that sound i the song so puru wondered where he could insert such a new sound so raja asked him to play it through out the song in after beat intervals and thats how this instrument was used instantly in the song----- the song was putham pudhu kaalai and one can make out the different sound it has in its rhythm

rajaramsgi
18th March 2012, 02:39 PM
Great Minds agree - T.N.Seshagopalan talks about Raja in Manadhodu Mono.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C87Sg177OJc

naarayanan
18th March 2012, 08:19 PM
punya...on veena...mad mad mod fugue...

http://www.dhingana.com/veena-in-vienna/movie/songs/hindi/pop/30233

but this is not the mad mod mood fugue piece...!!

Sureshs65
18th March 2012, 11:20 PM
rajaramsgi,

Thanks for the link

venkkiram
19th March 2012, 07:17 AM
rajaramsgi,

thanks for the linkநானும் ரசித்தேன்! ராக தீபம் ஏற்றும் நேரம் - செரிவானப் பார்வை tns! கர்நாடக இசையில் புலமை பெற்றவர்கள் ராஜாவை சிலாகிப்பது போல ராஜாவின் மேற்கத்திய இசைப்புலமையை சிலாகித்து சொல்ல நிறைய இசை விமர்சகர்கள் வரணும். ரொம்ப அரிதாகவே (பிரசன்னா) அந்த பாக்கியம் நமக்கு கிடைத்திருக்கிறது.

V_S
19th March 2012, 08:34 AM
wow!wow!wow! yes, thanks a lot rararamsgi for the link. How beautifully he explained the hamsanandhi raagam and how he gets into film song, explaining the beauty of the raagam, wonderful! While explaining the raagam I was overwhelmed when he said it requires wisdom to extract the brightness/essence/swaroopam in any raagam is what is most important, be it muthiah bhagavathar, papanasam sivam or Ilaiyaraaja. It is always to good to hear these words from these legends.

Three points to be noted/implied from TNS sir's thoughts.
How Maestro composed this film song (raagadeepam) in a purely carnatic classical way, yet it never sounds like a classical song, that's the beauty of the genius. Second, how he explored new and rare carnatic raagams in films. Third, any song which can be sung without any orchestration definitely has more weightage, as the melody content/soul is more in vocals.

Gregorysab
19th March 2012, 09:56 AM
Raaja is in London right now... Apparently for NEPV recording or mixing.

Sureshs65
19th March 2012, 10:26 AM
Contrary to popular belief here, Raja did score for youthful romances in 2000s. Ofcourse, Tamil films mostly gave him village based themes or melodramas, Malayalam family dramas and Kannada some indeterminate stuff. It was Telugu which gave him these 'youthful' romances. I can personally think of 'Sunny', 'Shambu' and 'Ninnu Choodaka Nenudalenu' and 'Om Shanthi' belonging to this category. The music in these movies is varied. I would say 'Sunny' and 'Shambu' are quite similar in their music, while 'Ninnu Choodaka Nenundalenu' is more like 'Mallepoovu', where melody is the key. 'Om Shanti' on the other hand in the newer, jazzier Raja that we have come to hear in the recent past.

Here is the link to the songs of 'Shambu':

http://www.raaga.com/channels/telugu/moviedetail.asp?mid=a0000609

Songs of 'Sunny':

http://www.raaga.com/channels/telugu/moviedetail.asp?mid=a0001202

Songs of 'Ninnuchoodaka Nenundalenu':

http://www.raaga.com/channels/telugu/moviedetail.asp?mid=a0000275

Songs of 'Om Shanthi':

http://www.hummaa.com/music/album/om-shanti/35659

It must be said that as far as I know all of them were flops !!!! I personally love the music from all these movies and keep playing 'Sunny' and 'Om Shanthi' regularly. (The other CDs are not available) The songs didn't make much of an impact on the general populace, I should confess. (Maybe a couple of songs from 'Ninnuchoodaka.." were well known.) All these movies (with the exception of 'Om Shanthi' ) have one 'teen maar' or 'kuthu' song, which I love and which aakarsh hates from the bottom of his heart :lol:

My feeling is that NEVP will be in the lines of 'Om Shanthi'. That is Raja's new sound. The jazz and the Broadway musical style. And I will be more than happy if I get something like 'Chinna Polike'. If you haven't heard it do go to the 'Om Shanthi' link and listen to it.

KV
19th March 2012, 11:43 AM
punya...on veena...mad mad mod fugue...

http://www.dhingana.com/veena-in-vienna/movie/songs/hindi/pop/30233

but this is not the mad mod mood fugue piece...!!

heard it just once... adEngappa, amakkalamaa irukku! :clap:
thanks for sharing this, and thanks to Raj for the TNS clip :thumbsup:

Gregorysab
19th March 2012, 11:44 AM
Suresh,

you love to remind me about my dislike for those set of songs :-D

Though I agree with you that there were "youth" catering scores that Raaja worked on, in the last 5-10 years, I believe this NEVP is much more important and much more bigger. Because all the above mentioned films - were films made by non-entities. Sunny was almost a b-grade film I think and nobody knows Shambhu. Ninu CHoodaka Nenu Undalenu had many songs from Tamil (Enna Solli) and it too was not a big film as such. Om Shanti was backed by a big banner and yet, it was by a new director and the film flopped miserably. One common thing among all these films is - They all were made by directors who never had a name and who couldn't make a name either, with these films.

GVM, on the other hand, is a brand now. He has 'some' fans, irrespective of who acts in his films. His films may flop, but there is an audience who are willing to give his films a try. And more importantly, music has been a plus-point in his films, no matter who the composer was. The songs atleast, were hits. So NEVP is much more main-stream than the above mentioned films.

And honestly, I expect something much better than Chinna Polike. I recently heard Chinna Polike again and I felt it is just an 'OK' song (Gunjawala not withstanding), atleast compared to even more valuable nuggets such as Kooda Varuviya, Sneha veedu etc. And apart from Chinna Polike, other songs in the album really didnt catch me much, as much as some of the 2009 films of Raaja did. A Ediya Baagilu is much more innovative than a Chinna Polike, i feel. So I'll be disappointed if Raaja comes up with a Chinna Polike standard song. Give me atleast a Kannil Paarvai or Kooda Varuviya or Kai Veesu (Nandalala) anyday - they rank much higher, according to me.

From audience perspective - Telugu audience love Raaja's 80s works and they loved when he did Anthapuram. And they again loved his Rama Rajyam. But they couldnt get to love Sunny, Om Shanti, Shambu and all. So if Raaja composes another Chinna Polike standard song, I am not sure if the audience will lap it up.

Raaja is currently in London, recording/mixing NEVP. It very much shows the scale of this film. I hope the music lives up to the hype, which we all have generated :-)

Sureshs65
19th March 2012, 12:33 PM
Kamal,

'chinna polike' is definitely more than an 'OK" song. To me it is an amazing song.

Yes, none of those songs were hits and the directors were not famous guys and didn't become famous. The scale of NEPV is different of course and the expectation is also high. What I wanted people to understand listening to these songs was how Raja's brain worked. The level of complexity which was there even within the 'youth' and 'fun' songs. So you cannot expect Harris level dumbed down 'hits' :D

vssathish
19th March 2012, 01:30 PM
Its official - Raja is in London with GVM for NETP recording

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/regional/tamil/news-interviews/Gautham-Menon-records-in-London/articleshow/12326707.cms

Music always plays an important role in a Gautham Menon directorial venture. Right from his debut Minnale, he's had good music.

This time around, his trilingual project Neethane En Ponvasantham, which stars Samantha as the female lead, while Jiiva, Nani and Aditya Roy Kapoor play the leads in Tamil, Telugu and Hindi respectively, will have music maestro Ilaiyaraaja composing the tunes.

The filmmaker is off to London to record the songs. "I am off to record the songs with Raja. He is someone I've grown up listening to and I love his tunes. I am excited about working with him as it is a dream come true for me," says Gautham.

While the teaser promo that was released a month back had the famous Ilaiyaraaja song that the film's title is inspired from, a little known fact is that Gautham himself sang the song that Jiiva lip syncs in it. Ask him if he will be singing the full song which will be remastered and released in this film and he says, "Oh no! I am not a singer."

kameshratnam
19th March 2012, 02:02 PM
Dear Fans of Ilayaraaja sir, you will have the official word from us soon. Yesterday fans of ilayaraaja met in chennai and we had the privilege of having Mr. Prabhakar and Mr. Jayamanickam as our chief guests. The musical discussion with them will be written in a separate topic. The main discussions of yesterdays meeting is we plan to collect a small fee from interested members every month. this money will be used to get audio releases of raaja sir for the group remembers. We target around 500 members and the subscription amount could be from 100 to 200 rupees a month. Comments welcome.

Gregorysab
19th March 2012, 02:11 PM
kamesh!

Please let us know more details. I hope this will not be a "project Gem" kind of effort. Project Gem got some good releases, but couldnt sustain because there were not many buyers. But now, with the advent of social media, i think things can work out well.
Rs.100-Rs.200 per month subscription? I didnt get this exactly. What is the plan as such? and how does it work out?

app_engine
19th March 2012, 04:46 PM
:thumbsup: for going to London for recording!

I expect some high quality synth sounds now :-)

appushiva
19th March 2012, 07:02 PM
Dear Suresh65,

Thanks for the link, I was searching the songs of "Shambu" and "Sunny".

And, I too the fan of the song "Chinna Polika" in "OM Shanthi" , hear the song often with high BASS. My 11 years son initially reluctant to hear this song, later he was addicted to it. Whereas, my second son 6 years old hears all the IR songs starts from " Endi Evala" in Azghar Samiyen Kuthirai to 'dee denana dee denana" in Nanavannu. The magic in IR songs continous to next generation ,, no doubt.
Regards,, waiting with all for the NEPV album...

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
19th March 2012, 08:19 PM
we plan to collect a small fee from interested members every month. this money will be used to get audio releases of raaja sir for the group remembers. We target around 500 members and the subscription amount could be from 100 to 200 rupees a month. Comments welcome.

Good! but consider yearly (discounted) subscription than monthly. If possible, keep both. Ppl will choose as per their need. But if you have the rights for Original, why not sell them via Flipkart's flyte song service?!

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
19th March 2012, 08:25 PM
There were some news that some sound expert from Kovai is working on re-mastering ALL of the Raja's song?!

See, there are many songs, may be some 70% available thru sites like thiraipaadal.com and raaga.com. i gues they are legal ones. what we find in youtube is not so. but youtube songs don't promise quality audio. The best thing i would suggest is to sell Boxed Sets of Raja songs, with atleast 200 films per set. 25 CDs etc. If CD is prone for piracy then think of creating some other means like itunes, or create a similar service itself, or use Flipkart's flyte etc.

Those buyers of flipkart's flyte service, what format do you get the song? And is those songs properly tagged with Info? That is important, if you import the songs to iPod.

buggle
20th March 2012, 01:41 AM
People behind those IR image T-shirts

http://www.thehindu.com/life-and-style/metroplus/article3002543.ece

kiru
20th March 2012, 01:49 AM
wow!wow!wow! yes, thanks a lot rararamsgi for the link. How beautifully he explained the hamsanandhi raagam and how he gets into film song, explaining the beauty of the raagam, wonderful! ....
Yes, yes. I second that. TNS seems to be a good communicator. He knows how to explain carnatic music to film music listeners (like starting from the top, uruppadis etc) . Even I was able to understand and immediately could recognize the similarities. Somebody recommend some albums of TNS for the uninitiated (on carnatic) like me.

V_S
20th March 2012, 08:18 AM
dig
kiru,
TNS is one of my favorite singer on the classical front and probably the last of that generation, whom I like. Today he has gone more into singing/emphasizing Harikatha bhajans, but his classical strength was his thillAnA. If you ask me I really love his Ragam-thaanam-pallavi in Nattakurinji (available in amazon), Masterpiece Live Concert 1985 and Music Academy 1993 concert. In the above video, he always talks about his guru, Harikeshanallur Muthiah Bhagavathar, it is obvious how he would sing Bhagavathar krithis. I listen to these kritis often. Luckily raaga.com has this collection, should be a good start, in case if you haven't listened to him, here it is:

http://www.raaga.com/channels/carnatic/moviedetail.asp?mid=cl00926

You also have to listen to his Karaharapriya (pakkala nilabadi-Just one song for 45 minutes), hindOLam, shanmugapriya, Bilahari. I love lengthy songs as we don't have to fear it will end soon and we can dissolve in eternity. All his youtube links.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=seshagopalan&oq=seshagopalan&aq=f&aqi=g5&aql=&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=17083l19158l0l19405l12l12l0l5l5l0l262l649l1 .2.1l4l0

I had a privilege to attend his concert couple of times when I was in Mumbai, that too sitting so close. Soulful experience!

Experts might add more.

end dig

vssathish
20th March 2012, 05:12 PM
http://www.myspace.com/attilalaszlo

Check for updates by Attila (Hungary jazz player0 that he is recording for Raja in London studio from Mar 21 - Mar 27

http://www.myspace.com/events/View/12646057/Attila-Laszlo/Recording-with-IlaiyaRaaja-in-Angel-Studio-Marc-21--27

Recording with IlaiyaRaaja in Angel Studio Marc. 21 - 27.

Lets wait for jazz action then...

vssathish
20th March 2012, 05:19 PM
Looks like a start of the art recording studio

http://www.angelstudios.co.uk

kameshratnam
20th March 2012, 09:42 PM
We around 20 people had a meeting in chennai. We had invited Mr. Prabhakar and Mr. Jaya Manickam - both violin players with IR. They shared their experiences here

The note is written by Ra Muruganandam. The meet was initiated and organised by Akbar basha and photos are by Dhinakar rajaram

Really it was a very good meeting of Ilayaraaja Fans on 18th after a long gap:) Eventhough we had only a few no of people present, still we enjoyed the meeting and it was pleasant, peaceful and informative with the presence of Sr. Violinists Mr. Prabhakar & Mr. Jayamanickam. Hope the VIPs also enjoyed being with us.

Akbar asked me to make the welcome note where I couldn't speak. Dr. Nanda and Bala sir were requested to honour the VIPs with small mementos and shawls. I am not aware of what Jayamanickam sir discussed before Prabhakar sir joined the meeting. Prabhakar sir shared with us a lot of information which were exciting and mostly unknown.

To remember, some of them which Prabhakar sir narrated were:

i) Since more than the past 30 years, he has been associated with Ilayaraaja for playing violin, conducting recordings, rehearsals, writing notes, performing for live events, with his non filmi albums, etc, and his journey continues until now.

ii) Currently he has completed writing notes (by only listening it through headphone) for How to Name it? to perform live by the last week of April. The same was the situation for the previous live performance of Nothing But Wind. Due to the non-availability of the notes of the both albums, Prabhakar has to listen and write. The sad part is even Raaja does not have the original notes for the albums and most of all of his compositions.

iii) Dalapathy recording sessions at Bombay - Particularly, during the recording of the song 'Sundari Kannal Oru Sethi', the Navy Music Troupe were called to perform for the score of the song. And all the musicians were spell bound and kept silent for atleast 15 minutes after the recording. Then all of them standed up, clapped their hands being excited of the score.

iv) The situation during Sri Rama Rajyam composing session: Prabhakar sir was asked to copy by writing the notations while Ilayaraaja was writing and that Prabhakar sir was confused of Raaja's writing from bottom to top style and was not able to cope up with the writing speed of Ilayaraaja. And boldly when asked to Raaja, how he could write notes this much fast, he just smiled.

v) In a normal score sheet or it could be a big size symphony score sheet, Raaja would write clearly without any mistake the notes for all the instruments, which when composed is a new born fine music.

vi) The maximum no of films Raaja has done in a year was 52. In average, 1 film per week basis. And since then and until now, he had never seen Raaja taking rest or sleeping in his room at Prasad Studio. Anytime u enter his room, he will be doing something, writing, or composing, or writing some notations whereas the musicians including Prabhakar sir would take rest or sleep during the rest or lunch time.

vii) Raaja, even when he was very busy with lot of films, he would prefectly remember the sequence of each and every film during the recording sessions and would recall the left part or portion the next day or the noon etc as he would do recordings for films alternatively. i.e. a film in the morning and one in the afternoon. Again one the next day morning and again the previous days film in the afternoon like.

viii) There is no person in India (hopefully in Asia & the World) to write music, compose, extract work from the musicians, score, conduct and play music etc., none other than the one and only Ilayaraaja.

ix) For the film Avatar, the MD of the film Mr.James Horner took 6 months to compose music for the film (actually it was 1 year - James Horner was asked to be with the director for 6 months during the film shooting before he started to composing music). Whereas Ilayaraaja would not require any of these and he would perfectly score music for the film in just not more than 10 continuous days. Amazing!!!

x) Prabhakar was asked to conduct score for the film Ramana (Vijayakant's which was a hit number) for one week. And he was really surprised to conduct a wonderful score for the film.

xi) While Prabhakar was taken to perform Live in Italy, he was not aware that Raaja has composed a music with only 3 notes (he thought that it could be a normal note and not only with 3 notes). While he was on the stage to perform live and given the real notes, he was surprised to see the notes in only '3 notes'. And Raaja has also composed in 2 notes which is 'Vaa vaa pakkam vaa' as told by Ilayaraaja in Endrendrum Raaja.

xii) Raaja has learned and knows very well Carnatic & Western Music very well that he could again compose music in Western suiting for the same film Sindhu Bairavi.

xiii) Raaja went to Gujarat before 4 or 5 years where he visited the Akshardham temple at Ahmedabad, and was asked to compose music for a short film of the temple by a foreigner. He composed 3 times for the same film - for 3 days, each unique. And finally one was selected but all the three were perfectly matching which Prabhakar saw live and was really amazed.

xiv) Finally, how Prabhakar got associated with Raaja - remembered the days when they were playing as a group in the name of Pavalar brothers. And how SPB got associated with them - SPB was singing in telugu film industry and got entry to tamil through 'Ayiram Nilavae Vaa' and 'Iyerkai Ennum Ilaya Kanni'. Then he came to know about the Pavalar brothers and he joined with them and together they started conducting orchestras here and there. And after that Ilayaraaja's career started as a Music Director from 'Annakkili'. Actually there was a film done by Raaja before Annakkili which was not released. So Annakkili became the first.

And the time was almost near 2.00 PM and both Prabhakar & Jayamanickam were with us for around 2 hours and had to leave. Prabhakar sir thanked a lot for inviting him and felt very happy. He was shocked when he came to know the non-availability of new (and also old) CDs of Raaja. He said will try to help the situation by conveying the message to Bavatharini. We requested him if we can help Bhavatharini & team in organizing HTNI live event in any way.

A representative of Agi Music, Mr. Thirunavukkarasu, was also present in the meeting with some CDs from Agi Music, which some of the members bought some CDs.

Friends, pls add the ones which I could not remember and missed out.

Thanks to:
All the members for making the meeting a success.
Eddie Dinesh for arranging a nice venue.
Dhinakar Rajaram for nice photo coverage:
https://plus.google.com/photos/116919585284964447704/albums/5721210595321566321?banner=pwa

Gregorysab
21st March 2012, 04:03 PM
Cool! nice to read the event details Kamesh!

Shankar.P
21st March 2012, 06:42 PM
ஏழு ஸ்வர ராசாக்களுக்குள் நடக்கிற போட்டியில் சிக்கிக் கொண்டு ஏழு வகையான ஜூரமே வந்துவிடுகிற அளவுக்கு தடுமாறிப் போயிருக்கிறது ஆடியோ பிசினஸ்.

ரஹ்மானுக்கு அடுத்து ஹாரிஸ், அப்புறம்தான் யுவனெல்லாம் என்கிறார்கள் மார்க்கெட்டில். அதிலும் நாலாவது இடத்தில்தான் இருந்தாராம் குயிலுக்கே வரம் கொடுக்கும் இசைஞானி. இந்த நேரத்தில்தான் இந்த புண்ணிய புல்லாங்குழலுக்கு தங்கப் பூண் அணிவித்திருக்கிறது காலம்.

கவுதம் மேனன் இயக்கத்தில் உருவாகும் 'நீதானே என் பொன் வசந்தம்' படத்திற்கு இசைஞானி இளையராஜாதான் மியூசிக். சுமார் ஓரு கோடி ரூபாய் வரைக்கும் ஆடியோ உரிமை கேட்டு போட்டியிடுகிறார்களாம் சில ஆடியோ கம்பெனியினர். இது ஹாரிஸ் ஜெயராஜின் மார்க்கெட் ரேட்டைவிட அதிகம் என்பதுதான் குறிப்பிடத்தக்க விஷயம். நடக்கிற பாதைக்கு மிதக்கிற மேகம் வருவதேயில்லை, ஒருபோதும்!

http://www.tamilcinema.com/CINENEWS/Hotnews/2012/mar/210312a.asp

app_engine
21st March 2012, 07:33 PM
Though "news" from tamilcinema.com has to be only understood as 'kisu kisu', it still showcases why this album is COMMERCIALLY important at this point of time. (Nothing at all related to what rAsA is musically capable of or has delivered over years in his career)

SoftSword
21st March 2012, 07:41 PM
how stupid...
oru kodi is very less for a gvm movie no... whoever the md be...
now IR being it, shd be more..

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
21st March 2012, 08:39 PM
Last i brought Dasavatharam audio CD. Starting from Hey Raam, i used to buy all kamal film audio. But if there is anything i brought for Raja, it is Thiruvaasagam. After that, now i hav decided to buy NEPV. If the audio is not more than 100Rs, then i may buy 5 copies and distribute among friends... lets see

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
21st March 2012, 08:41 PM
how stupid...
oru kodi is very less for a gvm movie no... whoever the md be...
now IR being it, shd be more..
SS., it may be true! Though there are many options today to make money thru film albums, this audio right may mean ONLY CD sales and FM broadcasting, TV broadcasting etc may not be included in this.

I guess for every song aired on FM, the composer gets certain money... It may be small but for Raja, as there is large body of work, as a collective amount, it may make some sense...

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
22nd March 2012, 12:56 AM
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151431594785430&set=p.10151431594785430&type=1&ref=nf

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/553649_10151431594785430_775895429_23733061_521495 418_n.jpg

Thalaiver @ London!

SoftSword
22nd March 2012, 01:20 AM
thaarumaaru getup :)

Chelian
22nd March 2012, 07:53 AM
Wow,...never seen thalaivar in this getup b4!

Eagarly waitin for the music! PLEase sir u MUST deliver!

San_K
22nd March 2012, 11:56 AM
Whatever we think/discuss what will be the output, I am really happy that IR gives much importance to NEPV. That is enough. period

appushiva
22nd March 2012, 01:50 PM
Hi all,

On february I was in chennai and from Villivakkam i travelled to "Spencer Plaza" to buy original audio CD's of Raja Sir. But surprised to see the "Music World" is no more in the building and i entered "Land Mark" to get some CD"S.
After a thorough check , i found "Thandavakone" and the staff told "Dhoni" not reached their outlet. The movie Dhoni released one month back when i am searching for its CD. This is the situation for IR songs. I returned back to Gulf and downloaded from Internet .. what to do..
In fact i want one shop to buy all language CD's including "Hello Jai Hind".. Kindly suggest...

appushiva
22nd March 2012, 01:52 PM
Thalaivar , Change of dress: Good one for the cold atmoshphere there. Also a right attitude to compete....

app_engine
22nd March 2012, 03:55 PM
Change of dress

IIRC this is his attire whenever he travels to western countries...nothing new :roll:

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
22nd March 2012, 04:53 PM
Many fotos from london, Enjamaai :D

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151434931420430.831892.775895429&type=3

kiru
22nd March 2012, 11:06 PM
Whatever we think/discuss what will be the output, I am really happy that IR gives much importance to NEPV. That is enough. period
Right ..whenever he takes things seriously.. usually the output is good ..even though he says (in his own way) and I believe a good tune is a matter of chance. Mostly, if the director has a good music sense, he is able to pick a good tune, then if good lyrics fall into place..our maestro himself gets thrilled and writes fantastic orchestration.. GVM has good music sense so I am positive and hopeful .. You guys are getting stressed out too much ..chill all :-)
(nice pictures.. thanks .. like app. says standard attire for IR when abroad)

SoftSword
22nd March 2012, 11:22 PM
he takes things seriously'ya??
seriously??? :evil:

am i alone????

Sureshs65
22nd March 2012, 11:34 PM
Calm down, calm down. Have a look at this:

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/dyoungpr/calm-down.jpg

I am sure if he hears what all we are talking, Illayaraja is going to ask us, "petromax dhaan venumaa"?

San_K
22nd March 2012, 11:49 PM
suresh :lol:

Fliflo
23rd March 2012, 06:20 AM
Neethane en Pon vasantham song leaked...Is this true?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHFRJd9bAyA

teja
23rd March 2012, 08:20 AM
@Fliflo, As an ardent HCIRF, I can confidently say that it is not true. The song in that video doesn't have RajaMudra, in any form. It just can't be IR.

raja_fan
23rd March 2012, 08:32 AM
The news is fake.
The song is from a different album.
http://songsmoviez.com/dl-telugu-482-1

kiru
23rd March 2012, 10:04 AM
Calm down, calm down. Have a look at this:

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/dyoungpr/calm-down.jpg

I am sure if he hears what all we are talking, Illayaraja is going to ask us, "petromax dhaan venumaa"?

thank you thank you Suresh :-) enna oru soft sword'le kolai panniyiruppaanga neenga kaapaththalana ..
I hope IR does not read these pages.. we put his music and personality and psychology (sometimes inadvertently) under a microscope here.
We rather have him do his music without any self-consciousness which is why he never revisits his own work, I think.
By seriously, I meant he does put in some more thought and preparation in to the orchestration and recording. (eg for Guru and pazhassi rAja - he advised that the score should be orchestral - not jazzy/rock and went to write the music in that format)
I dont think he tries his tunes over and over again. Every tune is just "born" as it were - no plastic surgery on it . It is up to the director to pick it.
(SoftSword - you ok now ? :-) pErE bayangarama irukku :-) )

ajaybaskar
23rd March 2012, 01:15 PM
appushiva,

Not only in Spencer Plaza, MWs all over India have been shut down.

SoftSword
23rd March 2012, 04:45 PM
kiru,
i am alright... jus a bit surprised/annoyed when people speak without trust...
some say, 'good that he takes this album seriously' - so other albums he did without any sincerity? aint that contrasting to what he has been?
and they say, 'good tune is a matter of chance for him' - ordinary tune/special tune is only to us, for the composers, they compose every tune with love, if they are not satisfied they would not even churn it out in the first place... thats for any composer, then imagine the uncompromising IR...

the time from announcement of this movie to release is exposing the weakest of the souls here... the people who know he is a genius, but they don hav faith in him... they know he is uncomparable, but they would compare him with day before yesterday's musicians... they use to worry for there is no proper heir for his talent, but they would suggest that his album would come good with the help of his sons...

kaetta... engalukkum theriyum album arumayaa varumnu, aanaa...... apdinu iluppeenga..

app_engine
23rd March 2012, 04:48 PM
Great post, SoftSword!

:clap:

lydayaxobia493
23rd March 2012, 05:00 PM
the people who know he is a genius, but they don hav faith in him..

well said SS...

sila paer IR fans nu solluvaanga.. aana avanga kaetkirathu ellam ARR/Yuvan/HJ/Some english albums aa irukkum..

Ean intha oara vanjanainu therila.. ivangalukku IR fan a soldrathukku perumai ya irukku..bt their soul needs some more tunes than IR tunes.. :(

San_K
23rd March 2012, 05:34 PM
SoftSwor (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/member.php?24941-SoftSword)d

After all Raja is a human (atleast in human form :)). Recently in an interview Arunmozhi said, Raja has given chance to Arunmozhi to do BGM for a movie (the one n only movie Vijay & Ajith acted together). This does not mean his lost interest or something similar, tell me something about about this?. Avaru ella padathukkum equal importance kodikkiraar appadinu sonna namala naame emaathikkura maathiri. BTW i don't know what is the connection between sincerity and giving importance :lol2:

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
23rd March 2012, 05:46 PM
What kind of music will a film composed by Raja get? We don't know and cannot predict also. He has an inbuilt sophisticated Music composing Engine which is highly powerful anyday. The power is same, in terms of musical creativity, till the day Raja breathes. Its like guessing if God is there. We cannot conclude, likewise we cannot predict what outcome will Raja give for a film. One thing is sure. Agreed there are LOT of films which are not up to mark but are remembered today only for great Music by Raja. At same time, there are not that many films in Raja's musical history where he failed to deliver good music for a film which is/was appreciated by public. Only that level we can predict. Like nadhi moolam, rishi moolam, it is Isai Moolam which is totally not in our control. And actually this unpredictability is also one factor which keeps us interested!

SoftSword
23rd March 2012, 06:10 PM
SoftSwor (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/member.php?24941-SoftSword)d

After all Raja is a human (atleast in human form :)). Recently in an interview Arunmozhi said, Raja has given chance to Arunmozhi to do BGM for a movie (the one n only movie Vijay & Ajith acted together). This does not mean his lost interest or something similar, tell me something about about this?. Avaru ella padathukkum equal importance kodikkiraar appadinu sonna namala naame emaathikkura maathiri. BTW i don't what is the connection between sincerity and giving importance :lol2:

Sanjeevi,

exceptions cannot be examples.
those were the ones he outsourced and so was the outcome... but with NEPV everyone knows the project is yearning for an IR musical and he has accepted it heartfully. apram inga yaen andha doubtu?

i always believed that sincerity - giving importance - commitment are all interrelated... illayaa? english'um thappadhaan padichenaa?

V_S
23rd March 2012, 07:20 PM
i am alright... jus a bit surprised/annoyed when people speak without trust...
some say, 'good that he takes this album seriously' - so other albums he did without any sincerity? aint that contrasting to what he has been?
and they say, 'good tune is a matter of chance for him' - ordinary tune/special tune is only to us, for the composers, they compose every tune with love, if they are not satisfied they would not even churn it out in the first place... thats for any composer, then imagine the uncompromising IR...

the time from announcement of this movie to release is exposing the weakest of the souls here... the people who know he is a genius, but they don hav faith in him... they know he is uncomparable, but they would compare him with day before yesterday's musicians... they use to worry for there is no proper heir for his talent, but they would suggest that his album would come good with the help of his sons...

kaetta... engalukkum theriyum album arumayaa varumnu, aanaa...... apdinu iluppeenga..
:notworthy:

venkkiram
23rd March 2012, 08:01 PM
ராஜா பலதரப்பட்ட இசைவகைகளை திறம்பட செய்திருக்கிறார், செய்து வருகிறார். ரசிகர்களுக்கு விதவிதமான இசை விருப்பங்கள். சிலர் மௌனராகம், அக்னி நட்சத்திரம் போன்ற பாடல்களை, சிலர் கரகாட்டக்காரன், காசி, முதல் மரியாதை போன்ற பாடல்களை, சிலர் சிந்துபைரவி, மோகமுள் போன்ற பாடல்களை விரும்பி கேட்குறாங்க. சிலர் "ஆகச் சிறந்த" எண்பதுகளின் பாணியில் ராஜா மீண்டும் செய்யனும்னு விரும்புறாங்க. விரும்புவதில் தவறில்லையே! ஒவ்வொரு விரலும் ஒவ்வொரு விதம். Softsword! இதுல எதுக்கு நீங்க ரசிகர்களின் மீது ஆதங்கப்படனும்னு தெரியல.

SoftSword
23rd March 2012, 08:09 PM
venkkiram!

ரசிகர்களின் விருப்பங்களையும் எதிர்பார்ப்புகளையும் நான் எங்கே விமர்சித்தேன்?
எவ்வித வாதங்கள் என்னை ஆதங்கப்படச் செய்கின்றன என்பதை குறிப்பிட்டு எழுதியிருக்கிறேனே...

raja_fan
23rd March 2012, 09:13 PM
Well...
1. IF it is true that Yuvan is helping Raja in this album, it is very much reasonable and expected that even hardcore IR fans to suspect the outcome. This does not mean that we do not have faith on his genius etc.
If Yuvan is going to help his father, there is a chance that we wrill get only petromax :)
[ I am a IR fan and do not respect Yuvan just because he is the son of IR ]

2. Even if Yuvan is out of the scene, it is completely false to say IR gives equal importance to all films in his hand.
He definitely has worked harder for some directors like Sreedhar, KB and Maniratnam etc. You might say they inspire him with the narration. Yes, but that is not the only reason. We know how IR thrusted "Thendral vandhu..." tune over Nasser ( Nasser loved the song, we also love the song, but ultimately it was not the director's choice ). IR would never have done this with Mani or KB. I am not able to point out the reasons for this..but IR is not same with all films. That I am sure.

3. IR in his peak period valued money also. In the eighties, people in film circles used to say "If you are ready to be liberal in paying Ilaiyaraaja, the quality of the songs will be different". Probably he uses the money for better orchestration or recording etc. Or it might be as trivial as "better service for higher fees" . He would have worked for free to some directors, but they are exceptions.
Now with Gowtham Menon and Ko's producers, money would not be an issue. His London visit itself proves this.
We can hope IR to come out shining in this album ( forgetting Yuvan for the moment ), but if the album is not up to the market's expectations, then the blame would be squarely on IR..There is no point in blaming the young generation, their tastes etc.

K
23rd March 2012, 09:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6r_WkYPqj0&sns=fb
Interesting one.

San_K
23rd March 2012, 10:37 PM
We can hope IR to come out shining in this album ( forgetting Yuvan for the moment ), but if the album is not up to the market's expectations, then the blame would be squarely on IR..There is no point in blaming the young generation, their tastes etc.

IppovE ready aagitteengala :lol:. While I agree with most of your points, I beg to differ in the above point. Why blame? mathatha plum vanthu solluvaru

Just a small example. You appreciated Dhoni album well but dhoni music is not well received by public (failuire in terms of business/popular). Now will you blame IR?

San_K
23rd March 2012, 10:47 PM
Sanjeevi,

exceptions cannot be examples.

I thinks some others said the reverse angle with different tone.

those were the ones he outsourced and so was the outcome... but with NEPV everyone knows the project is yearning for an IR musical and he has accepted it heartfully. apram inga yaen andha doubtu?

Just my point

V_S
23rd March 2012, 10:57 PM
If IR is thrusting his music over to directors we have to note that either he should be a new comer or he does not have much musical ideas. May be the director has lot of ideas (with respect to the film overall), but musically he cannot tell this music will suit for his film, except to oblige, even though it is his own film and dream. Nasser said in clearly his own words that was the communication between a gyani and gyanasoonyam. But if you see any other new comers for example Suka in Padithurai, we heard some new rare raagas, definitely he would have listened to him. Same way Sathyan. For him he composed 25 tunes for his first film, but only 5 were selected by Sathyan. We cannot blindly say, he thrusts his musical ideas to every new director.

All new directors only have an ambition that IR should score for their movie. That's the confidence they still have which is even greater than their own confidence about the movie. Here Nasser was a new comer that time and IR had already crossed almost 20 years in the industry. So, even I believe for Mani's first film, IR would have thrusted his music, no blame there. Once that director sticks with him and Raja comes to know about his subjects and his musical sense, he slowly starts listening to them. That gells well. Same goes to KB, BR, Sathyan and many others. Even though KB might have done sindhu bhairavi with Raja as his first film, Raja already knew about his films and the music in his films. May be same holds true to GVM. Also KB was a senior, so he has to listen to his musical ideas. No harm in that.

Definitely these kind of directors come up with some excellent situation, which gets its deserved treatment. He never went to London for Dhoni or Mouna Raagam for recording songs or background score. I agree, there many may not afford (financially) to all his requests. But that does not mean that he take special interest in some and not in others. I cannot agree to it at all. All music emanates from his brain only once for everyone. It is just that some take it as it is and some are not convinced where he gets another tune. Even if that thrusted Nasser's 'Thendral Vandhu' and KB's non-thrusted Marimari ninne are same for him. Otherwise Nasser would not have fallen to his feet after listening to it and cried, which we conveniently forget. Only we differentiate and classify his music (based on our liking/tastes), not him.

if the album is not up to the market's expectations, then the blame would be squarely on IR..There is no point in blaming the young generation, their tastes etc.
Pesunga sir pesunga. He is not running this race at all. Only we think like that and want him to run towards it. This soundtrack will be the dearest one like every other Maestro's soundtrack, it is up to us to celebrate or ignore.

SoftSword
23rd March 2012, 11:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6r_WkYPqj0&sns=fb
Interesting one.

:lol:

oru nari kulla nari dhaan...
kola veri kola veri de..

edhugai kooda sariyaa varudhae...

San_K
23rd March 2012, 11:11 PM
Definitely these kind of directors come up with some excellent situation, which gets its deserved treatment. He never went to London for Dhoni or Mouna Raagam for recording songs or background score. I agree, there many may not afford (financially) to all his requests. But that does not mean that he take special interest in some and not in others. I cannot agree to it at all.

Once he said (in a TV at Hey Ram (BGM) special program before Hey Ram release) "Kamalukku music value theriyuthu.... athanaala hungery poi selavu panni record pannom...". Idhu pathi enna solreenga V_S. Ipadi ellam avara seeraatinaal (ofcourse he got very less what he deserves) raajavuku Motivation/interest konjamaavathu athigamaa varaathaa?

Also he told about MD to MD telepathy :) in ARR felicitation programme. So, can we take like he is telepathing now with ARR or HJ (adikka varaatheenga), the previous MDs of GVM.

Ithanala enna solla varreennaa, avaru idhula spl interest (konjundu) edukka chance irukku :)

V_S
23rd March 2012, 11:35 PM
San_K,
Good point. I think I already mentioned about this in my earlier post.

Once that director sticks with him and Raja comes to know about his subjects and his musical sense, he slowly starts listening to them. That gells well.
This was exactly what happened with Kamal. I never denied that some situations/directors impress him more than many others. But since some directors/situations are special/impressive, he never alters/corrects the tune for the sake of it (to make it rich), unless the director is unhappy. That was my point. First time right philosophy! That is why karagattakaaran songs which he scored in 45 minutes is no way less than Hey Ram/Guru's orchestral score (which was recorded outside). Same holds true for both the film BGMs too. But again for Kamal's Virumaandi or Mahanadhi, he never went to hungary or London. Appo, during Virummaandi/Mahanadhi, Kamal didn't know musical values/ideas or IR didn't know about Kamal's musical ideas? I don't think so. That means was he not impressed with Mahanadhi or Virumaandi story or situation? If not, why didn't he go to Hungary?. It is his intinct which works correctly the first time every time.

I don't know if I have anwsered your question, but those were my thoughts.

kiru
23rd March 2012, 11:55 PM
Maybe I should not have used the word "seriously". I really did not mean it to be damaging to IR's character (thats probably where SoftSword comes from). But I have to say this - IR is committed to music first and the movie next. I will not be fully successful in explaining this. It is just my opinion he is just trying to "learn" music by exploring it. The movies are just an outlet for him to express his ideas/theories on music.
Re: his paycheck making a difference - I dont think IR is after money directly. It is just that in this society money is equated to your skill/abilities so many of us make sure we get a good salary/title etc. Only when an artiste feels good about himself he can be creative. There are lots of examples in our literature when great poets were conferred big boons by the kings and went on to create epics.
(I like the word - seeraattinaal by San_K .. the moment you say I am willing to spend the big bucks for an orchestra recording here or in Hungary etc.. IR is probably super-thrilled :-) . We should all have this childlike enthusiasm for anything new (technology, process, mgmt/scientific/literary theories) even in our own jobs. The major take away for me from IR is - his hardwork and hands-on/ever learning attitude)

SoftSword
24th March 2012, 12:02 AM
seeraattal edhirpaakkuraar ellaam ok.
but the seeraattal he gets seduced by is not in the form of money/compensation... the seeraattal which inspires him is when he is shown the respect for his music/skill/caliber.

app_engine
24th March 2012, 01:35 AM
the seeraattal which inspires him is when he is shown the respect for his music/skill/caliber.

IMO, it's the other way around :lol2:

When IR can respect some director (for musical sensibility or creative ability or past history or whatever), he'll produce extraordinary scores :-)

Sometimes, even "friendship" could ensure a better reward, if one goes by the consistency with he delivered "special" stuff with some, whose movies were otherwise kuppais

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
24th March 2012, 07:24 AM
Oh come on! this predicting thing has still not stopped?!? Ok let me add one more. Raja 'feels' something superficial about selecting persons. For example, Rajkiran and Ramarajan(or some distributors) what great they had in themself? Whycome Raja gave such a music to them??! It is being said, Rajkiran distributed some of the Paavalar Creations, Raja's home production, on regular basis. Means, he will, without fail distribute Raja's home productions. Now that is too small a help to consider but raja took that as a great help and inturn almost gave life to Rajkiran by giving ultimate village hits. Same is said about Agilan of Agi music. He himself says Raja selected him randomly for distributing his music and some of my tweet friends said he is an unfit guy and is not doing justice to Raja's albums. In that way, just think of what Raja did for the likes of Mike mohan and Ramarajan. nothing great wrt them.

Sometimes, he 'feels' so and so is a right person for a specific task and this is beyond our logical reasoning.

Devaraagam
24th March 2012, 12:46 PM
V_s. U r echoing my observation on IR, he is doing music as what comes to his mind and delivering it. He do not look as it will get hit etc., we are trying to fit him with in our expectation and which cannot be possible.

K
24th March 2012, 02:51 PM
How agi music got Rights of raja's songs-
http://meedpu.blogspot.in/2010/02/blog-post_03.html

Gregorysab
24th March 2012, 04:53 PM
V_s. U r echoing my observation on IR, he is doing music as what comes to his mind and delivering it. He do not look as it will get hit etc., we are trying to fit him with in our expectation and which cannot be possible.

I have since long, held the belief that - great musical ideas comes to raaja in very arbitrary fashion. It is a random event. Which is why he could give marvels to some of the pathetic films ever. But that said, he never betrayed a good/sensible film. A good/sensible/interesting film will inevitably have good/great music. A bad/stupid/horrible film might have good/bad/great/boring/phenomenal song(s) and it can be one of these or all, depending upon the luck of that producer/director. It is such random event.

I am looking forward to NEPV.

Sureshs65
24th March 2012, 05:19 PM
pongappa. poyi pullaingala padiika vaiyunga!!! adha vittuttu raja ippidi pannuvaara appadi panuuvaaranuttu.

So everyone post the latest Raja song you heard in the 'Recently Heard Songs' thread. That way you can tell us what type of song you like and we can come out of this GVM thing :D

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
24th March 2012, 06:46 PM
Suresh, few days back, i became veruthu poyified after reading about how and what shud be the GVM album of. SO i had 2 options, either skip this thread till the album comes out, or go beserk and keep posting various things and veri kondu aadify! :lol: indirect anger on thos disscussers! I am doing the 2nd one!

If the discussion continues, i still have something to post :wink:

San_K
24th March 2012, 10:15 PM
It seems nobody talked about IR latest offer "Mudhalvar Mahatma". Intha vaaraththula rendu, moonu vaatti daily paperil advt vanthathu. Nammale avaroda albungalla partiality paarkkirom. Avaru appadi irukka koodathaa :lol2:

Don't take serious, just joking.

BTW, I think Gandhi is the next (or somewhere) best person after Ramana Maharishi for IR. Raaja already has given superb music to Gandhi's bhajan. So can we expect something best?

Sureshs65
24th March 2012, 11:39 PM
Sanjeev,

Didn't know about 'Mudhalvar Mahatma'. Are they releasing the album?

Devaraagam
25th March 2012, 01:40 AM
"Muthalvar Mahatma" summa usupethathinga boss...already I am searching Hello Jaihind...ithuley muthalvar mahathma..veraiya... :)

K
25th March 2012, 07:08 AM
SriRam Parthasarathy about His connection with Raja

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5t6wRwvt3k&feature=BFa&list=UUcfaDCjWq8tSSnNY4x2H84A&lf=plcp

Plum
25th March 2012, 08:11 AM
Sakala, sari I will usupethufy you. NEPV will be a colossal flop or/and the worst Gautam Menon album. Discuss.

Sureshs65
25th March 2012, 10:46 AM
Plum,

Why this kolaveri?

I came to know that in another section of Hub lot of usupethifying happened and they had to close the thread :lol:

Dei Sakala,

Why this kolavari, kolaveri, kolaveri? I don't underestimate neither your capability to post a lot of things nor those of others to respond :lol: Let us keep the thread going by talking about 'Mudhalvar Mahatma' :D

Punnaimaran
25th March 2012, 02:02 PM
I saw Mudhalvar Mahatma's advt in a TV channel, Puthiya Thalaimurai maybe.

San_K
25th March 2012, 02:46 PM
Sanjeev,

Didn't know about 'Mudhalvar Mahatma'. Are they releasing the album?

Don't know about songs but the movie release is scheduled on Mar 30

*update*

songs are there, see the trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj_y_ZlNDEI&feature=youtu.be) , link obtained from twitter

raaga_kann
25th March 2012, 06:23 PM
http://www.realbollywood.com/2012/03/prasad-emotionally-haunting-kannada-movie-review.html

Let's stop NEPV prediction game and enjoy the current movie - Prasad. It seems that Raaja is being talked as the real Hero of the film.

NormalMan
25th March 2012, 08:59 PM
GVM posting some new pis in his Twitter page

http://www.twitter.com/menongautham

Sureshs65
25th March 2012, 09:09 PM
Sanjeevi,

The trailer of 'Mudhalvar Mahatma' shows that it is a movie with good intentions but how it will be translated into screen is a different question. I am looking forward to the songs since they are bound to be very soothing and touching. I don't expect them to have a great impact amongst the general public though.

NormalMan,

Thanks for the link. So there was a children's choir. When has Raja ever gone wrong when he has used children's choir. Never. Looking forward to this particular song,

Devaraagam
25th March 2012, 10:18 PM
Muthalvar Mahatma - I liked "Naadu Paarthathunda" very much in kamaraj. so, I am expecting the same kind in MM (...padam release aaguthu audio release aaguma?")

Note: Kamaraj - Audio was not released adn I took the songs from DVD. Hope the same fate might continue for MM too.

krish244
25th March 2012, 11:35 PM
GVM posting some new pis in his Twitter page

http://www.twitter.com/menongautham

Thanks much NormalMan! Nice pics. Interesting to note he has used children choir. Curiosity level increases...!

Thanks,

Krishnan

kiru
27th March 2012, 01:30 AM
SriRam Parthasarathy about His connection with Raja

Sriram sings ilangkaaththu in a much more relaxed voice now (and probably better overall).

K
27th March 2012, 05:45 PM
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=370802336297202&set=a.120306754680096.9721.112842955426476&type=1&ref=nf

Thiru.Subbudu about Raja.

Gregorysab
27th March 2012, 06:04 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/menongautham/status/184611025679687680/photo/1

GVM says "Production of a new sound in music." - a statement which raaja himself might disagree, deny and disapprove :-)

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
27th March 2012, 08:27 PM
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=370802336297202&set=a.120306754680096.9721.112842955426476&type=1&ref=nf

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/539040_370802336297202_112842955426476_1175835_967 961053_n.jpg

இன்று (27 மார்ச் 1917), காலம் சென்ற இசை விமர்சகர் திரு. பி.வி. சுப்பிரமணியம் (சுப்புடு) அவர்கள் பிறந்த தினம். இசைஞானியின் பெருமதிப்பைப் பெற்ற, இசைஞானியின் சிம்பொனி இசையை கேட்கும் பேறு பெற்ற ஜாம்பவான். இசைஞானியின் இசையை அதிகமாய் விமர்சித்தவர். அதே நேரம் அவர் இசையை அதிகமாய் ரசித்தவர்; பாராட்டியவர்.

தன் இறுதி நாட்களில், 'ராஜாவின் சிம்பொனி இன்னும் கேட்க முடியவில்லை என்பதுதான் என் ஒரே கவலை' என்று சுப்புடு ஒரு பத்திரிகையில் கூறிய செய்தியைப் படித்த இசைஞானி, அடுத்த வாரமே தன் சிம்பொனி இசைப் பேழையை டெல்லியில் வசித்து வந்த சுப்புடு அவர்களுக்கு அனுப்பி அவர் ஆசையை பூர்த்தி செய்தார்.

90களின் துவக்கத்தில், பத்திரிகை ஒன்றில் இசைஞானியைப் பற்றி வியந்து அவர் எழுதியிருந்த கட்டுரையின் சில துளிகள்:

"ராஜா என்கிற மேதை படிப்படியாய் முன்னேறியவர்; மேற்கத்திய இசையில் அவர் ராஜா; ஒரு ஸ்வரம் ஒலித்தவுடனேயே ராஜாவுக்கு அதன் தாளப்பரிமாணங்கள் அவர் மூளையில் உதித்துவிடும். அவருக்கு கிராமிய இசை கைவந்த கலை. ஏனெனில் அவர் அந்த மண்ணில் புரண்டு இருக்கிறார்.

ஆர்.டி.பர்மனும் அந்த வகைதான். அசாத்திய கிராமிய இசை. அபீனுக்குச் (Opium) சமானம்.

“இசை லாகிரி” என்பார்களே.. அந்தவகை..! உதாரணமாக 'செந்தூரப் பூவே'. அது ஒரு வரிதான். ஊரையே உலுக்கி விட்டது. அந்த இசையின் வடிவில் வக்கிரம் இல்லை. சாமர்த்தியம் இல்லை. ஆனால் போதை இருந்தது.

ராஜாவின் இசை முயற்சி கூட்டு வகை (Cooperative Effort). மேற்கத்திய இசை அவருக்கு அத்துப்படி. ஆனால் இலக்கணக் கர்நாடக இசை என்று வரும்போது அவர் மூளையில் சென்று ஒரு நரசிம்மன் இயங்கிக்கொண்டிருக்கிறார்.

அவருடைய 'How to Name It' என்ற ஒலிநாடாவைக் கேட்டேன். Superb..!! ராஜா ஒரு வடிவம் உருவாக்கிவிட்டால் அதற்குப் பொருத்தமான பின்னணியை மள மளவென்று எழுதித் தள்ளிவிடுவார். நான் கண்டவரை ராஜாவுக்குத் துணிச்சல் உண்டு. ஓர் இசை வடிவம் அள்ளிக் கொண்டு போகும் என்று அவருக்கு உள் உணர்வு உண்டு.

அது அவருக்கு இறைவனின் வெகுமதி. அவர் ஆஸ்திகர்; தியானப் பிரியர்; தியானம் குண்டலி எழுச்சிக்கு ஒரு தூண்டுகோல்.

எனக்குத் தெரிந்த வரை ராஜாவின் படைப்புகளில் மேதா விலாசம் வெளிப்பட்டதில்லை. அவருக்கு அவர் படைப்புகள் காட்சிகளுடன் இரண்டறக் கலந்துவிட வேண்டுமென்பதுதான் குறிக்கோள்.

ராஜாவுக்கு முதுகில் மச்சம் இருக்கிறது என்று நினைக்கிறேன். அவருக்கு தியானத்தினால் தீர்க்கதரிசனம் அமைந்திருக்கிறது. புதிய, சாஸ்திரிய, கர்நாடக இசைப் படைப்புகளில் ஆர்வம் காட்டி வருகிறார். ஆனால் அவர் அங்கீகாரத்திற்கு அலைய வேண்டிய தேவை இல்லை.

மும்மூர்த்திகள், யாரிடமாவது அங்கீகாரம் எதிர்பார்த்தா எழுதினார்கள்?

lydayaxobia493
27th March 2012, 08:48 PM
இளையராஜா வைரமுத்து பிரிவுக்கு என்ன காரணம்?
என்று நிறைய நண்பர்கள் கேட்க நாங்கள் ஆராயந்ததில் எங்களுக்கு கிடைத்த சில தகவல் உங்களுக்காக. ஈகோ பிரச்சனையா? கொஞ்சம் அலசித்தான் பார்க்கலாமே!

இளையராஜாவின் இசையில் தொடர்ந்து பல பாடல்களுக்கு பாடல் எழுதும் வாய்ப்பு என பிஸியாக சென்று கொண்டிருந்த இந்த பயனத்தில் விரிசல் விழத்தொடங்கியது;

வைரமுத்து பிற இசையமைப்பாளர்களின் படங்களுக்கும் அதிகமாக எழுத்தொடங்கிய போதுதான். அதுவரை ஒலிப்பதிவின் போது சரியான நேரத்திற்கு வந்து தேவைப்பட்ட நேரத்தில் பாடல்வரிகளின் திருத்தத்திற்கு பெரும் உதவியாக இருந்த வைரமுத்துவால் சரியாக ஒலிப்பதிவிற்கு வரமுடியாமல் போனதால் உரசல் உண்டாகி அது நாளடைவில் ஒருவரை ஒருவர் சமயம் கிடைக்கும் போது தாக்கிக்கொள்ளும் அளவிற்கு பெரியதாகியது.

அடுத்ததாக பாடல் வரிகளில் இளையராஜா தலையிட்டு மாற்றச்சொல்வது; அந்த விரிசலை மேலும் பெரியதாக்கியது.

உதாரணமாக “சிந்து பைரவியில்” வைரமுத்து எழுதிய பல்லவியை மாற்றிவிட்டு கிராமிய பாடலில் இருந்து இளையராஜா எடுத்து போட்ட பல்லவிதான் “பாடறியேன் படிப்பறியேன்” என்ற பல்லவி. இந்த கிராமிய பாடலின் பல்லவியை “புதிய வார்ப்புகள்” படத்திலும் நீங்கள் கேட்கலாம்.

விரிசல் பெரிசாக பெரிசாக ஒருவர் பலவீனத்தை இன்னொருவர் இனம் கண்டு தாக்க அது மனஸ்தாபமாய் உருவெடுத்தது, உதாரணமாக வைரமுத்துவிற்கு எப்போதுமே ஒரு படத்தில் உள்ள அனைத்து பாடல்களையும் தானே எழுதவேண்டும் (படத்தின் கேஸ்ட்/ரெக்கார்டில் போட்டோ, டைட்டில் கார்டு, போஸ்டர் விளம்பரத்தில் தனித்து தெரிவது) என்பது விருப்பமாய் இருக்கும். இதை அவரே பலமுறை தெரிவித்துள்ளார்.

இந்த சூழலில் தாய்க்கொரு தாலாட்டு படத்திற்கு முழுப்பாடலையும் எழுத வைரமுத்து ஒப்பந்தமாகிறார் பாடல்கள் எல்லாம் ஒலிப்பதிவாகி படமாக்கப்பட்ட பின்னர்; ரீ-ரெக்கார்டிங்கின் போது மேலும் ஒரு பாடலை சேர்த்து அதை கவிஞர் வாலியை வைத்து எழுதச்சொல்லி; பாடல்கள் – வைரமுத்து என்ற டைட்டில் கார்டை பாடல்கள் – வாலி,வைரமுத்து (ஒரு பாட்டு எழுதினாலும் வாலி சீனியர் ஆச்சே வாலி பெயர்தானே முதலில் வரவேண்டும்) என்று மாற்றுகிறார் இளையராஜா. இளையராஜா இவ்வாறு நடந்து கொள்ள என்ன காரணம்? இந்த படத்தின் பாடல் கம்போஸிங்கின் போது “இளமைக்காலம் – என்ற புதியபறவை” பாடல் ரீமிக்ஸின் வரிகளில் “பழைய பாடல் போல புதிய பாடல் இல்லை” என்று வரிகளில் வைரமுத்து வார்த்தை ஜாலம் புரிந்து இளையராஜாவை கோபப்படுத்தியதே காரணம்.

இதே போல்தான் சிந்துபைரவி டைட்டில் கார்டிலும் பிரச்சனை; “தென்றலது கண்டதுண்டு திங்களது கண்டதில்லை, மனம்தான் பார்வை” என்ற வாலி எழுதிய இரண்டு வரிகளுக்காக, வாலியின் பெயரை தியாகராஜசுவாமிகள், பாரதியார், ஆகியோருடன் சேர்த்து ஒரு டைட்டில் கார்டுடாகவும், பாடல்கள் – வைரமுத்து என்று வைரமுத்திற்கு தனி டைட்டில் கார்டு போட்டு பிரச்சனையை பாலச்சந்தர் சமாளித்திருப்பார்.

கடைசியாக இவை எல்லாம் சேர்ந்து ஒரு நாள் “இசை பாடும் தென்றல்” படப்பாடல் கம்போஸிங்கின் போது மோதலாக வெடித்தது. “எந்தன் கைக்குட்டையை யார் எடுத்தது” பாடலுக்கு வரியை எழுதி வைரமுத்து இளையராஜாவிடம் காட்ட, “என்னய்யா பாட்டு எழுதச்சொன்னா, உரைநடை எழுதியிருக்க? இப்ப பாரு நான் எழுதுறேன்” என்று தான் எழுதிய பாடலை இளையராஜா வைரமுத்துவிடம் காண்பிக்க, வைரமுத்து “prose மாதிரி இருக்கு” என்று கூறிவிட்டு கோபமாக அந்த அறையில் இருந்து உடனடியாக வெளியேறிவிட்டார். அதன் பின்னர் எத்தனையோ போர் எவ்வளோவிதமாக சமாதானம் செய்தும் பலனேதும் இல்லை.

இப்போது கூறுங்கள் இளையராஜா வைரமுத்து பிரிவுக்கு என்ன காரணம்?

Possessiveness.

app_engine
27th March 2012, 09:01 PM
Nice post Rockstar :-)

'kiLikku Rekka moLachchiduththu' kadhai dhAn :-)

lydayaxobia493
27th March 2012, 09:02 PM
:ty: app...

lydayaxobia493
27th March 2012, 09:07 PM
இளையராஜா முதன்முதலாக சினிமாவிற்கு பணியாற்றிய படம், “கோவாவில் சி.ஐ.டி 999” என்ற ராஜ்குமார் நடித்த கன்னடப்படமாகும்.

பாடல் கம்போஸிங்கில் கிடார் வாசிப்பவராகவும், ஸ்வரங்களை எழுதுபவராகவும் தனது வாழ்க்கையை தொடங்கினார்.

1969 ஆண்டு தொடங்கி சுமார் 150 படங்களுக்கு ஜி.கே.வெங்கடேஷிடம் உதவியாளராக பணியாற்றியுள்ளார்

K
27th March 2012, 09:24 PM
Kalakkal Stills of London recording
http://www.tamilmoviegallery.com/2012/03/gautham-vasudev-menon-with-ilayaraja-at.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+teamece+%28Tamil+Movie+Galler y+%29

Devaraagam
27th March 2012, 10:49 PM
Iyyo....bayagarama Usupethurangale............ (From Vikatan)

இளையராஜா இசைக்கு போட்டி!
Details
Created on Tuesday, 27 March 2012 05:17
Published Date
கௌதம் மேனன் படங்களைப் பொருத்தவரை, படத்திற்கு இருக்கும் வரவேற்பை விட பாடல்களுக்கு அதிக வரவேற்பு இருக்கும். 'மின்னலே' 'காக்க காக்க' 'வேட்டையாடு விளையாடு' 'விண்ணைத்தாண்டி வருவாயா' என அவரது படப்பாடல்கள் வரவேற்பைப் பெற்றன.

அவர் ஹாரிஸ் ஜெயராஜோடு கூட்டணி அமைத்தாலும் சரி, ஏ.ஆர்.ரஹ்மானோடு இணைந்தாலும் சரி இசை ரசிகர்கள் எப்போதும் ஆதரவளித்து வந்துள்ளனர்.

'நீதானே என் பொன்வசந்தம்' படத்திற்கு இளையராஜா இசையமைக்க ஒப்புக் கொண்டதை அவர் அறிவித்ததும், இசை ரசிகர்கள் மத்தியில் இந்த புது கூட்டணி தரப் போகும் பாடல்களுக்கு எதிர்பார்ப்பு ஆரம்பித்துவிட்டது.

கௌதம் மேனனும் தனது டிவிட்டர் இணையத்தில் இளையராஜாவைப் பற்றியும் படத்தின் பாடல்கள் குறித்தும் அவ்வப்போது பகிர்ந்து கொள்கிறார்.

இதனால் ரசிகர்ககளை விட, இசை வெளியிடும் நிறுவனங்கள் இப்படப் பாடல்களுக்காக காத்திருக்கின்றனர். இப்போதே இப்படத்தின் இசை வெளியீடு செய்யும் உரிமைக்கு போட்டி ஆரம்பித்துவிட்டது. முன்னணியில் இருக்கும் இரண்டு நிறுவனங்கள் எப்படியும் இப்படத்தின் இசை வெளியீட்டு உரிமையை பெற்றுவிட கடும் முயற்சியில் இருக்கிறார்களாம்.

இளையராஜா, கௌதம் மேனன் கூட்டணி படத்தின் இசை வெளியீட்டிற்கு ஏற்பட்டிருக்கும் போட்டி பற்றி தான் இப்போது கோலிவுட்டில் பேசப்பட்டு வருகிறது.

MumbaiRamki
28th March 2012, 12:22 AM
Kalakkal Stills of London recording
http://www.tamilmoviegallery.com/2012/03/gautham-vasudev-menon-with-ilayaraja-at.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+teamece+%28Tamil+Movie+Galler y+%29

when i see these big orchestras in a small movie , i get worried if the background score is overdone :(

SoftSword
28th March 2012, 12:38 AM
watever it be.... expect a grand audio launch by gvm...
rahman'ku bafta audi'la release pannaar... IR'ku edhanum oscar venue'ku expect pannalaam...
this guy know how to respect great music and the musicians.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
28th March 2012, 01:51 AM
I am not a person who looks for great lyrics. At same time, i like Vairamuthu. So for me, there is no loss felt in this separation.

KV
28th March 2012, 02:26 AM
when i see these big orchestras in a small movie , i get worried if the background score is overdone :(
ai sabaass! :clap: :bow:

V_S
28th March 2012, 04:12 AM
sumall doubt :smile:. I heard that Raja is also recording/mastering songs in London apart from BGM? How does that work? That means, he got all the voice tracks and score sheet with him for the songs and going to perform the orchestration with those musicians or he is just going to master the songs. Again what does mastering here means? BGM portion is very clear, not sure about the songs. If anyone can please clarify?

I believe GVM might have understood what it takes to compose a song or score. I could see the full focus and concentration in Maestro's face. But thanks to GVM for giving a great opportunity like this to Maestro to exhibit his skills. Should be a interesting film and story with great scope for Background score.

kiru
28th March 2012, 04:14 AM
https://twitter.com/#!/menongautham/status/184611025679687680/photo/1

GVM says "Production of a new sound in music." - a statement which raaja himself might disagree, deny and disapprove :-)

Habit from previous associations :-)
<Digression> My 10yr old son is learning piano and now he is trying to read the notation and play. He is also explaining things to me as he goes.. I am thinking writing music must give a totally different insight into the music. It is almost mathematical. People can disagree with me. I think WCM gets very complex because composers are writing it out. IR brings that expertise to the indian scene</Digression>

MumbaiRamki
28th March 2012, 10:40 AM
sumall doubt :smile:. I heard that Raja is also recording/mastering songs in London apart from BGM? How does that work? That means, he got all the voice tracks and score sheet with him for the songs and going to perform the orchestration with those musicians or he is just going to master the songs. Again what does mastering here means? BGM portion is very clear, not sure about the songs. If anyone can please clarify?

I believe GVM might have understood what it takes to compose a song or score. I could see the full focus and concentration in Maestro's face. But thanks to GVM for giving a great opportunity like this to Maestro to exhibit his skills. Should be a interesting film and story with great scope for Background score.

From what i understand - When he song is required to shot, the MD will give a rough mix of the song - sometimes just the melody with the chords . Later the composer works daya nd night to add tracks he wants and give a final master with all the embellishments . With Raaja, mostly tyhe master will be the one which they took for shoot- except in such special cases where he uses the orchestra from outside and shoot had to happen earlier.

app_engine
28th March 2012, 10:50 AM
Apart from better facilities for recording, one can also hope that the album gets decent packaging (end product that gets to the hands of consumers) & availability / publicity / marketing...

Those are some aspects missing for IR's TFM albums for quite sometime I think...

raja_fan
28th March 2012, 02:22 PM
Rumours say "Sony music trying their level best to bag the audio rights".

hmmm...If IR is not going to match earlier musicals of GM, who else will be blamed ?
Iraivaa..Sakthi kodu !!

SoftSword
28th March 2012, 02:36 PM
From what i understand - When he song is required to shot, the MD will give a rough mix of the song - sometimes just the melody with the chords . Later the composer works daya nd night to add tracks he wants and give a final master with all the embellishments . With Raaja, mostly tyhe master will be the one which they took for shoot- except in such special cases where he uses the orchestra from outside and shoot had to happen earlier.

i agree it wont be the finished form usually but certainly not jus the melody and the chords...
the rhythm/beats will be mandatory as thats what decides the moves in a song.. me thinks.

MumbaiRamki
28th March 2012, 06:49 PM
i agree it wont be the finished form usually but certainly not jus the melody and the chords...
the rhythm/beats will be mandatory as thats what decides the moves in a song.. me thinks.

Venkat Prabhu told that for the song Yaaro ... Yuvan just gave the humming ..not even the lyrics :)

SoftSword
28th March 2012, 06:54 PM
onnu rendu case vechu generalise panna mudiyadhu illaya...
even heyraam songs were composed for the already shot videos... adhukkaaga?
perumbaalum epdi pannuvaanga...
oru song choreograph/dance moves amaikkanumnaa rhythm vechu dhaane pannuvaaanga...

lydayaxobia493
28th March 2012, 06:59 PM
even heyraam songs were composed for the already shot videos... adhukkaaga?

Hw is it possible ? :idontgetit:

app_engine
28th March 2012, 07:26 PM
Hw is it possible ? :idontgetit:

Rockstar,

HR had L Subramaniam as the composer originally, he did the songs & movie was shot WITH THOSE SONGS.

Later LS & KH (the director) had karuththu vERupAdu and he left the project. IR accepted the request by KH to come into the project in the 11th hour and re-do the songs for already shot visuals (new melody / arrangements).

That was an odd-case history.

raajarasigan
28th March 2012, 09:10 PM
app sir, indha news'a adikkadi solla vendiyAthA irukku...

ithai Hub kalvettula poRikkanum.... pinnala vara sandhadigaL (new hubbers) pArthu padichu theLiva nadanthukkuvAnga... :)

raja_fan
28th March 2012, 09:17 PM
http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2012-03-26/news-interviews/31239668_1_samantha-gautham-menon-tamil-movie

See the title "Ilaiyaraaja records for Samantha film in London" EKSI :(

btw..slated for June release ????

SoftSword
28th March 2012, 09:18 PM
:lol:

V_S
28th March 2012, 09:22 PM
Thanks MR. So in this case, we heard that songs have already been recorded (with Yuvan, Karthik, IR himself etc.) in India, right? This means the songs are done and I guess even picturization is all done based on the songs, assuming they are even ready for background score (so shooting is fully completed). Then why is this "mastering" of songs required at London? and what is this process, which I don't get.

kameshratnam
28th March 2012, 09:22 PM
Latest news :

Prabhakar sir shared this with us during last meeting of llayaraja fans 2 weeks back in ashok nagar

Raaja was suppose to compose a 10 min piece of L Subramanian to be played in the Jaya tv dec 28, 2011 concert. Sadly due to dates it did not happen

Our next meeting is at

Sunday, April 8, 2012
10:00am until 1:00pm
Antara, Rehearsal Hall, Ashok Nagar, 3rd Avenue (Opp. JFA and AXIS BANK) Exactly behind Jahawar Vidyalaya ( Main )
Membership or Subscription Payment
(INR 200; for two months: March & April 2012)
Fixing of Roles of each and every member
Action Plan for next month
Members need to bring Two identical colour Passport Photos with a photocopy of a photo Identity card preferably with their address on that.

We collect money to release may be new collections of ilayaraaja or the old ones

V_S
28th March 2012, 09:26 PM
app sir, indha news'a adikkadi solla vendiyAthA irukku...

ithai Hub kalvettula poRikkanum.... pinnala vara sandhadigaL (new hubbers) pArthu padichu theLiva nadanthukkuvAnga... :)
Yes, it just not ends with Hey Ram, even the latest Azhagarsamiyin Kuthirai and Dhoni songs were composed for already shot videos (even if they are montage).

krish244
28th March 2012, 09:33 PM
News of IR and GVM in london for NEPV recording is spreading. Article in THE HINDU:

http://www.thehindu.com/arts/cinema/article3254064.ece

It says all (6) the songs are penned by Na.Muthukumar. It was reported earlier that Thamarai will be penning lyrics (at least for some songs) for IR for the first time. What happened to that? I was very curious about it :( Or, it could be that complete information is not known. Not sure. Will have to wait and see.

"...The lyricist who has penned all the songs, informs, “The film has six songs and each is special to me. The lyrics are fresh and based on love. I am a big fan of both Ilaiyaraja and Gautham Menon and I stayed in Mumbai for a week to complete the lyrics. Gautham gave me an outline of the script and then a detailed idea of the situations for the songs...”

thanks,

Krishnan

SoftSword
28th March 2012, 09:38 PM
The lyrics are fresh and based on love.

kolappreengalae da :confused2:

krish244
28th March 2012, 09:44 PM
http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news-1/mar-12-04/gautham-menon-ilayaraja-28-03-12.html

"...Apparently, Ilayaraja is composing music with the help of musicians from Budapest. His handwritten music notes are being composed by the musicians and Gautham Menon mentioned in an interview that they were the 'work of genius..."

Englibish'a thappu thappa use panna arthame maaridum :)

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
28th March 2012, 09:58 PM
"Marenthein Mannithen" (tamil version of "gundallo godavari" telugu movie) has one kuthu song:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/music/news-and-interviews/Dancing-to-Ilaiyaraajas-tunes/articleshow/12438110.cms

Another bit info:

"Aaduvom paaduvom kondaduvom" portion of the song "podhuvaaga en manasu" is used for CSK IPL5 promo.

http://www.campaignindia.in/Video/295124,raise-your-hands-for-csk-in-ipl-5-says-new-video.aspx

thanks,

Krishnan

Nerd
28th March 2012, 09:59 PM
It says all (6) the songs are penned by Na.Muthukumar.

Errr.. The teaser (I am unable to watch now) had Thaamarai's name and it did not have Na.Mu.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
29th March 2012, 01:08 AM
:( சூரியனின் இசைக்கதிர்கள் தாமரை மேல் ஏன் விழவில்லை?!? நடுவில் கௌதம் மேகம் மறைத்துவிட்டதா! நா.முத்துசுமார் வேற படத்துக்கு கூப்ட்டுக்கலாமே

V_S
29th March 2012, 05:31 AM
:( சூரியனின் இசைக்கதிர்கள் தாமரை மேல் ஏன் விழவில்லை?!? நடுவில் கௌதம் மேகம் மறைத்துவிட்டதா! நா.முத்துசுமார் வேற படத்துக்கு கூப்ட்டுக்கலாமே
:rotfl:

SoftSword
29th March 2012, 05:35 AM
adhu IR'oda preference'a irundhirukkum...

teja
29th March 2012, 06:34 AM
@Suresh, This one is for you - "Sri Rama Rama" track from Maestro's Sri Rama Rajyam (End credits). You were looking for this track few months back.

http://soundcloud.com/pkiran/sri-rama-rajyam-sri-rama-rama

Enjoy :)

raajarasigan
29th March 2012, 10:26 AM
http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news-1/mar-12-04/gautham-menon-ilayaraja-28-03-12.html

"...Apparently, Ilayaraja is composing music with the help of musicians from Budapest. His handwritten music notes are being composed by the musicians and Gautham Menon mentioned in an interview that they were the 'work of genius...":banghead: :hammer:

raja_fan
29th March 2012, 11:42 AM
Update from Ferenc Nemeth ( the Jazz drummer ) :

I just arrived back to NY after a long week in London and it was amazing working with the Maestro.
He is a genius and one of the most hard working person I've ever met. The recording should be out in a few months, I am sure you'll find it everywhere. One thing I can guarantee is that this music is very original and different from what the Master usually do, but its still sounds like him!
All the best to you,
Ferenc

San_K
29th March 2012, 12:03 PM
Update from Ferenc Nemeth ( the Jazz drummer ) :

I just arrived back to NY after a long week in London and it was amazing working with the Maestro.
He is a genius and one of the most hard working person I've ever met. The recording should be out in a few months, I am sure you'll find it everywhere. One thing I can guarantee is that this music is very original and different from what the Master usually do, but its still sounds like him!
All the best to you,
Ferenc

Wov what a words, especially the last sentence

TFS raja_fan

Gregorysab
29th March 2012, 01:26 PM
Everyday i see some new photograph from NEPV recording in london. Interesting! I think GVM might have covered the whole recording process on photos or videos. May be! just a guess! If he released some BGMs of Vinaithaandi Varuvaaya later after the film's release, will he do something similar for this film as well??

But again - My expectations from the film's music are grounded... bcoz high expectations in a certain dimension often leads to disappointments. It is wait and listen approach for me!

raja_fan
29th March 2012, 03:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_vb_Mzxb64

raja_fan
29th March 2012, 06:58 PM
http://www.ferencnemeth.com/music/bio/

Nemeth’s distinctive energy and drive saw his career continuing with many of the same musicians, and also expanding to include the likes of Christian McBride, John Patitucci, Lionel Loueke, John Abercrombie, Dave Samuels, Mark Turner, Hal Crook, David Benoit, Bud Shank, Greg Hopkins, Phil Wilson, Dave Grusin, Eddie Daniels, Eddie Henderson, Ron McClure, Chris Cheek, Aaron Goldberg, Kenny Wheeler, Eli Degibri, Jonathan Kreisberg, John Ellis, Omer Avital and most recently Ilayaraja.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
29th March 2012, 07:18 PM
For a Change :D RAAJA SIR notes for the song VANAM MELLA from the movie NEPV
http://pic.twitter.com/QPAtk4bb

https://p.twimg.com/ApJZ0t1CEAArQW0.jpg:large

V_S
29th March 2012, 07:47 PM
One thing I can guarantee is that this music is very original and different from what the Master usually do, but its still sounds like him!
That's the Raja stamp he is talking about, whatever he does. :thumbsup: Thanks raja_fan for sharing the information on Jazz drummer Ferenc Nemeth. Very enthusiastic person, I believe Raja likes him a lot.
skv, thanks for sharing this wonderful picture. It seems like the key signature is A Flat Major with
B♭ E♭ A♭ D♭
and these are bass chords (so guitar is there :wink:), as it is bass clef, not sure though.

Sureshs65
29th March 2012, 09:57 PM
@teja,

I saw that in your twitter feed and retweeted it. Have been listening to it continuously today.

For all others: Do check out the link @teja has posted. Amazing end credits from 'SreeRamaRajyam'

Sureshs65
29th March 2012, 09:58 PM
As we eagerly await NEVP, let us for the time being check out and enjoy this video of a Japanese guy singing Raja's Kannada song, 'santoshakke' (Calling Jai, calling Jai)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YhmCchJr74&feature=player_embedded#!

Sureshs65
30th March 2012, 12:07 AM
'Mudhalvar Mahatma' songs downloadable free of cost (legally)

http://mudhalvarmahatma.com/music.html

Got the link from my friend in twitter

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
30th March 2012, 04:58 AM
Looks like we will get fotos daily :D

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/554128_371553156222120_112842955426476_1177376_821 206991_n.jpg
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/533270_372255699485199_112842955426476_1179209_197 1154208_n.jpg
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/563504_372255889485180_112842955426476_1179211_176 0179774_n.jpg

There are many fotos here - http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.367701403273962.92528.112842955426476&type=1

AravindMano
30th March 2012, 07:28 AM

Have heard that she writes only one song per month. And prefers to write at her place. Both would have not worked for this film.

venkkiram
30th March 2012, 08:21 AM
Have heard that she writes only one song per month. And prefers to write at her place. Both would have not worked for this film. வி.தா.வ பாடல் உருவாக்கம் இசை உருவாக்கத்தோடு உடனுக்குடன் நடந்ததாகவும், ஒரு பாடல் முடிந்தவுடன் அடுத்த பாடல் என இடைவெளியில்லாமல் சென்றதாகவும் தாமரையே குறிப்பிட்டிருந்தார் ஒரு நேர்காணலில்.

V_S
30th March 2012, 08:36 AM
Thanks Suresh ji for the Mudhalvar Mahatma link. :smile: The second track, 'Iraivanai Varam KEttu' by Sriram Parthsarathy is the only (normal) lengthy track. It is a very good song. Seems like it was composed during 2007/2008 (as I heard the film was launched in March/April 2008). First track 'Gandhi Indru Irundhaal' is a beautiful one, even if it is a short one. Don't know who is the singer, she sang very well and has a different voice. Other songs are again too short for us to make any decision/impact. May be the film has more scope for the score rather than the songs.

layman10
30th March 2012, 09:24 AM
http://www.dustedmagazine.com/reviews/7011

"The beauty and uniqueness of these songs transcends the dated sound of much of the 1980s digital technology — state-of-the-art at its time — that was used in its rendering. These elements are incorporated so seamlessly and in such an original, throw-out-the-rulebook fashion as to keep this music vital beyond its original air-date and context"

layman10
30th March 2012, 09:30 AM
On the same CD. http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/indha-vennila *some explicit words*

KV
30th March 2012, 12:45 PM
:thumbsup: layman gaaru, from where do you even dig these things out? Who are the guys doing these compilations? (the album titles and artwork are whacky most of the times!) Are you one among them? How do these records reach the reviewers? kOmblitt details parayu saarey.

raja_fan
30th March 2012, 12:47 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/menongautham/status/185391550656811008/photo/1

Goutham says "Picture says it all"

Probably like this :

IR : (looking at Goutham ) Enna paa ? Pothumaa ?

Goutham : romba thanks sir.

OR

IR : Enna paakkare ? un kathaikku idhu pothaathaa ?
Goutham : pothaathu sonnaa thirumbavaa poda poreenga..

:)

Divine22
30th March 2012, 01:10 PM
Thank you for posting all those nice NEPV- London photos ;)

SoftSword
30th March 2012, 03:52 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/menongautham/status/185391550656811008/photo/1

Goutham says "Picture says it all"

Probably like this :

IR : (looking at Goutham ) Enna paa ? Pothumaa ?

Goutham : romba thanks sir.

OR

IR : Enna paakkare ? un kathaikku idhu pothaathaa ?
Goutham : pothaathu sonnaa thirumbavaa poda poreenga..

:)

IR : idhellaam naan paatthukkaren... nee poi padattha mudikkira velaya paaru thambi...
GM: unga velaya paakka dhaan sir indha padatthayae aaramichaen....

krish244
30th March 2012, 05:14 PM
Looks like Thamarai is not part of NEPV:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/regional/tamil/news-interviews/Gautham-Menons-choice-changed-for-NEPV/articleshow/12467995.cms

thanks,

Krishnan

rajaramsgi
30th March 2012, 07:43 PM
லண்டன் ரெகார்டிங் தவிர...

நிழற் படங்கள் மிகவும் நன்றாக வந்து இருக்கின்றன.. கோட் சூட்'ல ராஜா சார் ரொம்ப நல்லா ரிச்சா இருக்காப்ல.. ஆனா அந்த லைட் பட்டு பைஜாமா ஐடியா யார் தந்தான்னு தான் தெரியல. அவ்ளோ நல்லா இல்லை அந்த ரெண்டு போடோஸ். அவரோட வழக்கமான வெள்ளை ஜிப்பாவும் நார்மலா ஒரு புல் பேன்ட் இல்லாட்டி ஜீன்ஸ் போட்ருந்தா டக்கரா இருந்து இருக்கும்.

lydayaxobia493
30th March 2012, 08:55 PM
இளையராஜா குறித்து சில தகவல் துளிகள்!

* இளையராஜாவின் பிறந்த நாளும், கலைஞர் பிறந்த நாளும் ஜூன் 3. இப்போது இசைக்கு வயது 67. வீட்டில்தான் அவரது பிறந்த நாளைக் கொண்டாடுவார்கள். அவருக்கோ, அன்றும் மற்றுமொரு நாளே!

* திருவண்ணாமலைக்கான பயணங்களின் ரசிகர்... வழியே வயலோரச் சிறுவர்களைப் படம் எடுப்பார். அவர்களின் முகவரி கேட்டு, அவர்களுக்கே படங்களை அனுப்பி ஆனந்த அதிர்ச்சியும் தருவார்!

* மூகாம்பிகை கோயிலுக்குப் போய் வந்த பிறகு, அசைவ உணவையும் ஆபரணங்கள் அணிவதையும் நிறுத்திவிட்டார். கழுத்தில் இரண்டு ருத்திராட்ச மாலைகள் உரிமையாகப் புரண்டுகிடக்கும்!

* ராஜாவின் எளிய உணவு காலையில் இரண்டு இட்லி, மாதுளம்பழம் ஜூஸ், மதியம் கொஞ்சம் சாதம், பழம். இரவு இரண்டு சப்பாத்தி. காரம், உப்பு கிடையவே கிடையாது. சைவ ராஜா!

* குளிர் உறையும் வெளிநாடுகளுக்குப் போனாலும் அதே தும்பைப்பூ வேட்டி, ஜிப்பாதான். துபாயின் பிரபல ஹோட்டலில் வேட்டி அணிந்து உள்ளே நுழையத் தடை இருந்தது. அந்தத் தடையைத் தகர்த்துத் தங்கிய ஒரே மனிதர் இவரே!

* நவராத்திரிகள்தான் ராஜா வீட்டு ஸ்பெஷல். மிகச் சிறந்த சங்கீத, இசைக் கலைஞர்களைத் தன் வீட்டுக்கு வரவழைத்து, கச்சேரிகள் நடத்தி ரசிப்பார். நவராத்திரியில் இளையராஜாவின் வீடு இசையால் நிரம்பி வழியும்!

Shankar.P
30th March 2012, 09:41 PM
Sri Rama Rajyam Tamil version to be release on 13th April, Tamil New Year treat for IR fans.

krish244
31st March 2012, 02:56 PM
News and amalgamation (with some comments) of london recording photos from http://www.firstpost.com/ website:

http://www.firstpost.com/photos/ilayaraja-records-with-london-based-orchestra-for-tamil-film-261645.html

thanks,

Krishnan

raja_fan
31st March 2012, 05:11 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/Raja_Yuvan/status/175877574013108224

Yuvan says he has sung two songs in NEP. One duet and one pathos ( which is in Tamil and Telugu )

kadavule...

raja_fan
31st March 2012, 05:13 PM
Possibility of singer Krish in NEP ?

http://twitter.com/#!/Krrishsinger/status/185772847761854464/photo/1

http://twitter.com/#!/Krrishsinger/status/185773064523481088/photo/1

Gregorysab
1st April 2012, 11:58 PM
News and amalgamation (with some comments) of london recording photos from http://www.firstpost.com/ website:

http://www.firstpost.com/photos/ilayaraja-records-with-london-based-orchestra-for-tamil-film-261645.html

thanks,

Krishnan

One right (read as commercially viable) film and look at the media mileage. This kind of movie selection is what that was needed. Not just now. but since years.

jaiganes
2nd April 2012, 05:04 AM
One right (read as commercially viable) film and look at the media mileage. This kind of movie selection is what that was needed. Not just now. but since years.
I think it is more of movie selecting raaja and not the other way.. The people found their way to Prasad studios only now.. All these days he was like a vallalaar saying "Kadayai virithen Kolvaarillai" (meaning shop open no customers).

Gregorysab
2nd April 2012, 07:32 AM
Jaiganes

That has been a case anyway. But Raaja saying "Yes" when such a commercially viable opportunity beckoned him is also a matter of important choice right. He has, at times, rejected some of the important/viable films & took up even some of the most ridiculous/irrelevant films. In recent years, Jaganmohini and Kadhal Kathai stand as good examples. Ofcourse, Jaganmohini had couple of good numbers! but imagine, none of his films made news particularly for the importance he was giving for the music - like recording in London. Dhoni managed to make news because Prakash Raj ensured that by constantly talking about Live Recording. Here, Gautham Menon was NOT speaking much about the kind of music, except for posting photographs - which itself are source material for newspapers. Something like this never happened before, atleast after Hey! Ram. Getting him to say Yes for a film is a tricky proposition. Nobody can decode what works in mind in favour or against a film. That explains his weirdest choices of films, right from 80s. Matter of Pure luck for any producer!

raja_fan
2nd April 2012, 09:20 AM
// But Raaja saying "Yes" when such a commercially viable opportunity beckoned him is also a matter of important choice right. He has, at times, rejected some of the important/viable films & took up even some of the most ridiculous/irrelevant films. //

Perfect Aakarsh !
I was thinking I am alone here.
IR has changed a lot in the last couple of years - more cheerful , more flexible etc.
While many of the fans here want to project him as an enlightened one who doesn't care about how world views him, I still believe he has become more conscious of his "declining" position in the "market" in the last 10-15 years and that change is for good !

kiru
2nd April 2012, 01:47 PM
"I still believe he has become more conscious of his "declining" position in the "market" in the last 10-15 years" - This has not prevented me from enjoying many of his works in the past 10-15 years whereas I could care less about many songs of so called commercially successful MDs. Many successful directors have a good sense of music and are able to extract good tunes from MDs. But IR has given hit tunes even otherwise. We will see what happens with this movie.

Gregorysab
2nd April 2012, 02:23 PM
Kiru,

None of the factors - be it his market position or his choice of films - ever prevented most of us from enjoying his works. So thats a given anyway.

But I am not sure if IR has given "HIT" tunes otherwise. Because a lot of his albums have not been HITs, which ties to the "market position". I am not talking about musical worth (which we all dig in and enjoy), but about pure commerce - the numbers in the market, which dictate the game. I feel it is only fans who enjoy his music and general public enjoy only when the songs are "Hits". I dont know about the environment in Tamil Nadu - but in Andhra Pradesh, Sri Rama Rajyam is a "HIT" album while "Gaayam-2" is not a Hit (comparatively). Gaayam-2 was largely confined to fan-bases while Rama Rajyam captured the whole general audience. And "Om Shanti" was a flop (i mean, general people did not even try it, even after publicizing it as Raaja's music).

In the same way, if I look at tamil Nadu... purely from what I read on social media (hence my opinion might be skewed and incomplete).. i dont think his azhagar Malais, Jaganmohinis, Mathiya chennais, Dhanams & Kannukkules are "Hits" as such (although I liked many songs from all these). A Naan Kadavul *probably* registered among audience. I dont know about Nandalaala. Did it cross fan-base? I felt Valmiki had lot of potential to be a "HIT" but i dont know if it was.. out there in Tamil Nadu.

In Malayalam, again, I have little knowledge. Any idea if Sneha Veedu swept the state, musically? Like Achuvinte Amma (about which I still listen good things from some general-audience-keralites I meet at times).

That brings me to a key question. Which was the last Raaja album that was a super hit... where it impressed not just fans, but general public, media and just about everyone? In telugu, it is Rama Rajyam for sure. In tamil? Is it Oru Naal oru Kanavu (because i see even non-raaja-preference people remembering Kaatril Varum Geethame)?? Just wondering!

raja_fan
2nd April 2012, 03:12 PM
Aakarsh,

I can't help again appreciating you for your latest post.
You have nicely put with examples for "hits" versus "fans' favorites".
A film with IR's music is not made for just IR's fans. It is made for general public at large. This is very important. Directors may love IR, we fans may love him, but the public has to love his songs ( I mean the latest ). No way blaming the public for all their deranged music taste etc.

Gregorysab
2nd April 2012, 04:55 PM
raja_fan,

Thanks! I believe that this GVM film can be a good *luck factor* for raaja. I dont want to say "GVM film is a good opportunity", because I think Raaja's music is more valuable than GVM's film (for me). but then, market forces act differently and for market (producers, stakeholders), it is the opposite. But in all, we have to admit this film has generated excitement and the success of its music will dictate lot of things in the market. If it succeeds spectacularly, chances are that few other producers might want to cash in on that and rope in raaja. heck, even GVM *might* repeat (though he did not repeat ARR) IR in his subsequent films.
Simple statistics: How much of the general audience waited for a valmiki or any of his recent films (except for SRR, Paa)? But now, many people are waiting for this film's music.

If this one clicks, a lot can happen.

raja_fan
2nd April 2012, 05:05 PM
Yes.
A lot would have already happened if only IR had welcomed Mani Ratnam and Rajni when they wanted to come back and sought IR's acceptance..

SoftSword
2nd April 2012, 05:09 PM
raja_fan,

Thanks! I believe that this GVM film can be a good *luck factor* for raaja. I dont want to say "GVM film is a good opportunity", because I think Raaja's music is more valuable than GVM's film (for me). but then, market forces act differently and for market (producers, stakeholders), it is the opposite. But in all, we have to admit this film has generated excitement and the success of its music will dictate lot of things in the market. If it succeeds spectacularly, chances are that few other producers might want to cash in on that and rope in raaja. heck, even GVM *might* repeat (though he did not repeat ARR) IR in his subsequent films.
Simple statistics: How much of the general audience waited for a valmiki or any of his recent films (except for SRR, Paa)? But now, many people are waiting for this film's music.

If this one clicks, a lot can happen.

just in case if u r not aware, ARR is doing the music for GVM's next Yohan.

Gregorysab
2nd April 2012, 05:46 PM
SoftSword,

I didnt know that. hmm! In that case - Is NEPV a film with raaja's music forming the premise/character in the film? (going by the promos). Curious!