View Full Version : Maestro ilaiyaraaja news & titbits

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Gregorysab
3rd February 2012, 03:11 PM
Saagar,

Grahan came first!

Sureshs65
3rd February 2012, 04:18 PM
Looks like the songs of Sathya Saibaba film are being recorded. Haricharan's interview here:
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-features/tp-metroplus/article2855124.ece

Gregorysab
3rd February 2012, 04:27 PM
i didnt know the sathya sai baba project is progressing so briskly! songs already recorded! good! I think the producers are racing/competing against another similar project - Shiridi Sai Baba, that has Nagarjuna as Sai Baba.. directed by K.Raghavendra Rao and music by (who else) Keeravani.

/digression:

I laughed a lot reading the last paragraph of Haricharan's interview :-) superb reply!

end digresison/

skr
3rd February 2012, 04:27 PM
Hi ,
Interesting reading all the posts.

App ,
Its definitely Suresh Menon only and not Rajeev Menon.
Yes Suresh Menon is a restaurateur and maintains 2 restaurants in Gandhi Nagar Chennai - Crimson Chakra and Azzuri Bay.
I must say the food is delicious and ambience is great :)
You would see his tall presence whenever you head there , but its not as if he is full time into it.
I am kind of sure its him who is directing the movie wih IR's music
Even if its Rajeev Menon , he worked with ARR for Minsara Kanavu and Kandukondein and now going back (if at all he is but im sure it’s the former Menon)

V_S,
Your anger is understandable.Even ive seen in many places talk going around as if IR is joining hands with GVM and not the other way around.
I have seen some ridiculous write ups saying GVM is giving a fresh lease of life to our Maestro.
Everyody knows where both of them stand , forget everybody atleast we Raaja Fans know.
The reason for the excitement is atleast in Tamil Films , Raaja hasn’t done a big budget much awaited movie for a pretty long time.
I am talking in the movie sense like involving a big Actor or Director.
The last I could think of was Mumbai Express in 2005.(You might say Naan Kadavul too in 2009)
The last few years Maestro has churned out some lovely Tamil songs but If you see they were small scale movies with more of a rustic background say ASK , Thandavakone , Sengaathu Bhoomiyile , Mayilu etc.The scope was limited and in that space he gave some wonderful songs.
GVM's movie is a love story between a 21yr old guy and 20 yr old girl and its so just curious to see what kind of music Raaja will come up with.

In that sense , I though KV's ideas were nice regarding what kind of numbers should be there in the album
However Raaja is the best person and we will eventually see what kind of music our Thalaivar will come up with.
Its not about doubting the great mans capabilities but just oru alupathanam from our end , that’s it :)
After listening to his ever youthful albums in other language movies like Gaayam 2 , Paa , Sneha Veedu , Kadha Thodarunnu
Boy am I excited to see the output he produces in this Tamizh movie.
Lets hope for the very best .:)

Gregorysab
3rd February 2012, 04:34 PM
A few more names : Outside of Tfm partly : Priyadarshan, worked with IR for Gopura Vasalile (Tamil) , then with ARR for Doli Sajake Rakhna (Hindi) and then with IR again for Kaalapaani (Malayalam).

Kaalapani with IR came in 1996. Doli Sajake Rakhna with ARR in 1998. So, i guess Priyadarshan did not do the U turn.

Plum
3rd February 2012, 05:27 PM
The point I am making is IR might well come up with Mozart's 25th Symphony but junta will reject only. How can one be cool if one appreciates a veshti clad perusu? Wouldn't that be a valid dilemma for the youth crowd that determines the fate of such movies?.

KV
3rd February 2012, 05:42 PM
plum, like I'd said earlier, 'youth connection' what hair who bother? They're anyway not in sync with his current musical style/form. Even if he changes this, it ain't gonna really overhaul their perception, but atleast it'd do good for fans like us, wouldn't it?

Plum
3rd February 2012, 05:55 PM
That ees correct KV but ingE sila pEru commercial hit manappaal kudikkaRAngaLE...:noteeth:

skr
3rd February 2012, 08:26 PM
1061 Alex had put up a list of Maestro's forthcoming projects

skr
3rd February 2012, 08:29 PM
There's a report in Hindu on Balu Mahendra's next directorial venture.
Im little confused as to who the MD is. There is something stating that Music is by Sathya of Engeyum Eppodhum.
Is it BM's film which they are referring to or something else ?
http://www.thehindu.com/life-and-style/metroplus/article2857117.ece

RR
3rd February 2012, 08:56 PM
The point I am making is IR might well come up with Mozart's 25th Symphony but junta will reject only. How can one be cool if one appreciates a veshti clad perusu? Wouldn't that be a valid dilemma for the youth crowd that determines the fate of such movies?.
Plum,

I think veshti/perusu are irrelevant issues. Would a camera-shy/media-shy person be cool to grow to be isai puyal? I would think the music speaks much more than the person or character, let alone dress sense. What's working against IR is: the huge expectations he has set himself against in view of his monumental works in the past. People are looking for a mouna ragam or ithaya koyil standard songs - but not exactly the same songs. E.g. repeating 'that' same style like in mayilu is bound to fail. Also not even trendy/hip songs. Maybe the janta want to be surprised with 'something' of IR calibre.. (Note: these are not my personal feelings ;) )

manappalo, therattupalo.. oru alpa santhosham adaya vida maattelaa..

Sureshs65
3rd February 2012, 09:21 PM
RR,

Plum has a valid point. Though Rahman was media shy person, remember how he changed himself during the 'Vande Mataram' days? That Michael Jackson pose and all. He did change himself in order to connect better with the 'youth'. You cannot deny that. Added to it was the advantage that Rahman started as a technology savvy person right from Roja days. Whereas one of the major identity of Raja has been his village background. And that for today's youth will be an 'uncool' thing. I personally have my cousins / nephews / niece who just don't want to listen to anything which has Raja's name on it. They are ready for any new composer but Raja for them is 'perusu' and someone who is 'uncool'. All you need to do is to check the playlist of many of the college going folks (which I do often). Only a very few will have Raja in their most played list.

Another problem which I see, especially when you pass comments on his recent works is that you have decided that his past works cannot be surpassed by him. So even an excellent song like 'Chandrabimbathin' becomes a 'OK but not classic' for you. I would say that 'Snehaveedu' will match up to most of what Raja did in the 80s even with its synthesizers. But I am sure many of the old folks will go, "It is smoke but not a cigar". As I keep repeating, in the first decade itself there were so many album which will give the 80s a run for their money. It is just that many have shut off their ears in the 80s and refuse to open it :)

I don't agree that Raja has not been doing work of his caliber. 'Mayilu' is a decent album. I agree it is not probably a classic but we had such albums in 80s too. Albums which has one hit songs and other decent songs. Whereas 'Snehaveedu' I feel is an excellent album. So was 'Bhagyadevatha'. So 'Pazhassi Raja'. Even 'Gayam 2' was an outstanding album. Unfortunately 'Gayam 2' did not fare well in the BO. The style in 'Gayam 2' is changed but the musical quality is of the same high standards that Raja has set for himself.

Plum
3rd February 2012, 09:43 PM
RR, hit vandhaa vENamnA solROm. But yaarum thappA nenaikka koodAdhu - manasula irukkaRa oru nightmare-ai solREn. Basically, I keep flashing back to RDB and his superhit youth icon sign-off from the world with 1942, an album not great by his standards but a grand farewell in terms of popular acceptance. Enna solla vaRRenna big commercial hit koduththA apdi Edhum nightmarishA AyidumOnnu oru superstition - basically indha manushan enakkappuRam dhaan pOgaNumnu oru aasai...

V_S
3rd February 2012, 09:46 PM
Sorry KV, skr and others if my post hurt you. Except for the first few lines it was not meant for you.
I certainly know you weren't doubting Maestro's capabilities. It is also not against your wishes for Maestro for his next venture.
My biggest mistake was I happened to read the other thread where I got deeply hurt by some hubbers statements.
Especially, Humpty Dumpty had a great fall (with video), Goundamani reference (putting this legend to shame), gracefully retire and all those things.
On top of that, praising their own music taste. I never imagined so much hatred towards any one. It is their right to dislike anyone (music), but these statement does not reflect their dislike alone.
Still I was happy as skv, bala and saai were patiently responding to them. But having seen similar sentiments in IR thread is what made me upset again.
I don't want to elaborate that again. Again, I apologize if my post hurt anyone.

One last thing, Since IR did such a huge volume of work, he is to be blamed again as he has created huge expectations. No fault on others. I don't know what to say.

Plum
3rd February 2012, 09:55 PM
V_S - if you know the said hubbers and their agenda, you'll know that what came out was their poRumal. Avainga uLLukuLLa kumainjukitturkkaanga adhan veLippAdu dhaan adhu. Their idea is to hurt soft and sensitive fans like you adhukku dhaan their posts but unfortunately for them ennaiya , balava maadhiri oru ruf and tuf lawyer indha pakkam irukkomla - andha pAchchAvellAm balikkAdhu. SummA ignore paNNidunga

RR
3rd February 2012, 10:01 PM
Suresh,

*ahem* I didn't say/decide 'his past works cannot be surpassed'. Just said he has not been able to so far. But didn't mean that as my personal opinion. I was only echo-ing the sentiments of the janta which is possibly reflected in the commercial success/failure. Why is that a 'problem'? :) I'm just putting forth my theory.

I know you are still loving all his current songs, and I can't accept them as great. That doesn't mean that I've shut off my ears, nor his music is bad. It's just personal preferences.. Ok let's stop here. Don't like to upset your party day :)

RR
3rd February 2012, 10:13 PM
PLum-kkul ippadi oru sentiment mind-aa.. Surprise!

V_S, as Plum pointed out, public forums/blogs abound with all kinds of people/opinions (more often the ridiculing ones - just see the thamiz manam blog posts). If we take every comment seriously, will go mad. Just have to filter out.

V_S
3rd February 2012, 10:17 PM
Thanks Plum and RR. :smile: No worries. I know and understand what you are saying, but as I said it was my mistake. But avanga vasayukkaavathu mariyathai thandhirukalam.

Sureshs65
3rd February 2012, 10:23 PM
RR,

I have no issues about personal preference and I have no issues about his recent music not being commercially successful. I fully agree with it. His commercial success, except in Malayalam, have been non existent (with a few exceptions like 'Paa') So I am definitely not fighting that opinion at all. All I keep saying is that musically Raja has been doing stuff which is as good as his 80s and his best hits. Again I reiterate, musically. To quantify that further I would say I am looking at experimentation, moving to newer genres, originality in that genre, not repeating himself, overall structure of the song and new ideas. I continue seeing that with him.

As you say, we have been repeating that argument again and again. You with your stand and me with mine :) So ya, lets give that a break for time being :)

Sureshs65
3rd February 2012, 10:28 PM
Plum,

'Kaadhalukku Mariyadhai' was a youth iconic album :) So don't worry. Succcess / flop / youth appeal is only for us. For him, it is music and more music. And I can say from some tweets that not only you but a huge number of fans have nightmares on this count.

Sunil_M88
3rd February 2012, 10:35 PM
Dear, V_S sir! awwww :hugs:

I feel your pain buddy... Haters will continue their scummy acts as they believe everyone should have the some interest as them otherwise it's a crime and as Plum rightly said, "Their idea is to hurt soft and sensitive fans like you". I'll elaborate on what RR said, make your mind a sieve, just follow the motto "Ignorance is a bliss". Certain people will carry on provoking and being indirect with their digs, but if they're not direct then pay no attention to them and leave them to be silly. Amen

app_engine
3rd February 2012, 10:43 PM
a huge number of fans have nightmares on this count

:rotfl2:

I'm celebrating :-) innikku nighttu single malt :-)

V_S
3rd February 2012, 10:54 PM
Thanks Sunil, I really appreciate it :smile:

skr
3rd February 2012, 10:58 PM
V_S ,
You definitely didnt hurt any of us , i saw the passion coming out from a true Raaja Fan.
Its best you ignore those popinjays.
We Maestro fans are an esoteric breed :)

thumburu
3rd February 2012, 11:00 PM
Suresh, IMO, "Chandrabimbathin" melody line is at par with the 80's but what irks me are those interludes which are what IR's songs stand for.
allov plum, umma nenappu plummet aagakadavadhu
MSV's swan song which many consider, "Ninaithale inikkum",youth iconic album - avar innanmum nannaa thaane irukkaar!!!
Apdiye unga keypad kku mrithyunjay homa pugai kaattungo

app_engine
3rd February 2012, 11:02 PM
Plum'ukku cricket forum'la "chatterji"nnu oru pEr irukku...

RR
3rd February 2012, 11:30 PM
thumburu,

After several several listens, I have come to the conclusion that it's not fair to compare chandrabimbathin in any way with his 80's or others. This song is his experimentation with indianized jazz genre. It's loose, free, no-holds barred type. Be it interludes, rhythm or even raga scale. No set pattern, they all move all-around (sri ranjani to KK to vice versa). Typical of jazz. So.. for this genre, the composition is excellent. (Suresh, happy?) Makkalukku puriyuma, rasippaangalaa (for the right reasons).. athu veru vishayam.

I like the plummet comment. Second it, third it, and also fourth it.

SoftSword
3rd February 2012, 11:39 PM
plum, sakala, V_S, etc.,
engala ellaam yemaathitti inga vandhu neenga ellaam discuss pannittu irukkeengala...
naan jailukku poren.. jailukku poren... jailukku poren....

Bala (Karthik)
3rd February 2012, 11:43 PM
All I keep saying is that musically Raja has been doing stuff which is as good as his 80s and his best hits. Again I reiterate, musically.
Disagree!

V_S
4th February 2012, 12:03 AM
Sorry skr, missed your post. Thanks :smile:
SS, :lol: it all started with me, now put to rest.

Bala (Karthik)
4th February 2012, 12:16 AM
innikku nighttu single malt :-)
//Dig :shock: Neenga theertham saapduvela? :razz:

app_engine
4th February 2012, 12:40 AM
//Dig :shock: Neenga theertham saapduvela? :razz:

for your kind reference (from IR-SPB thread suyapurANams) (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-275-குரு-சிஷ்யன்-பாடல்கள்&p=808653&viewfull=1#post808653)

Bala (Karthik)
4th February 2012, 12:52 AM
Oh ok :)
I generally read your posts in that thread in "groups", makes for a great ride that way...

SoftSword
4th February 2012, 01:00 AM
vellikkilamayum adhuvumaa periyavanga pesura pecha idhellaam...
bloody my peers are all beers... :evil:

kiru
4th February 2012, 01:33 AM
Disagree!

Here is my take on IR - yesterday and today -
* do we all agree IR knows more music today than in 1976 ? I think the answer would be yes.
* do we think IR will know more about music in the next 5 years ? I think so (for eg. he is learning Jazz)
* does knowledge in music improve the musicality of the songs ? I think yes. Earlier years, I feel the WCM components were done a little roughly.
* is IR's tunes as fresh as it was in 1976 ? Short answer - No (Personal opinion). But read more - every composer has a style which becomes "exposed" over a period of time. This is also like a "genre" - for eg. thukkamena thuyaram enna - If I did not know it was from a new movie I would still like it. So if you like a style or genre you can listen to IR or somebody like that for ever that person makes
* is IR's orchestration improving ? Personal answer - yes - whether it is WCM like Pazhassi Raaja or the same rustic flavor with modern instruments and electronic sounds like in mayilu. He keeps pushing the envelope. This also includes various styles/effects of singing like in vaalmiki (achadisa kaasa) and adi aathE in mayilu.
* I do not care whether he makes money or commercially successful. I am shameless in just wanting to listen more and more of his music whatever happens to him .. similarly completely selfish is wishing and praying that he lives longer and makes music as long as he lives.
* to be more specifc - will Gautam-IR combo provide hit music ? - I had high hopes on pazhassi raaja and he delivered. I read about Nazar/avatharam - I think if the script/direction/quality of team is very high ..IR will be inspired or he just competes to beat the rest of the team. the pazhaasi raaja director put so much emphasis on lyrics for aadhi ushas.. IR tries hard to beat the lyricist..he is very competitive .. he will not the low ranker in a top notch team. Also, Gautam has a good music sense - if he picks a good tune from IR - his orchestration also willl be great. I believe that IR himself does not know whether a tune is good when he makes it !!!. Just like us, he seems surprised when a song comes out good.
I dont know whether I have grown old and/or sluggish or indifferent :-) hit or not does not seem to make any difference to me. I have talked about pazhassi raaja to so many people and not many of them are excited about it as I am. Well..what can I say ...I know what I enjoy and I enjoy it .. thanks to the maker.. the Shiva of music ..IR ... the destroyer and creator of genres !!!

jaiganes
4th February 2012, 04:12 AM
i didnt know the sathya sai baba project is progressing so briskly! songs already recorded! good! I think the producers are racing/competing against another similar project - Shiridi Sai Baba, that has Nagarjuna as Sai Baba.. directed by K.Raghavendra Rao and music by (who else) Keeravani.

/digression:

I laughed a lot reading the last paragraph of Haricharan's interview :-) superb reply!

end digresison/

He told me to sing it live from start to finish with the orchestra.

Is Raaja turning the clock back for all the songs by recording live?

skr
4th February 2012, 08:11 AM
Creation of the song "Katril Varum Geethame" , its a really nice one
IR and Vaali interacting , an insight on how the great man thinks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKu1SbSxrZU

krish244
4th February 2012, 07:17 PM
IR's interview with THE HINDU:

http://www.thehindu.com/arts/cinema/article2860230.ece?homepage=true

thanks,

Krishnan

raajarasigan
4th February 2012, 10:01 PM
Recent times'la thalaivar Media'vula adhigam varadhu mattumillama romba energetic'a pesurar.... :) philosophical speech konjam kammi aagi irukku... :)

Fliflo
4th February 2012, 11:09 PM
Interestingly, I happened to see in IMDB site that IR is listed as the 11th best composer in the world. Obviously, there are only 2 from India.

http://www.imdb.com/list/b9kgD3oRpds/#Comments

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
5th February 2012, 12:28 AM
கங்கை அமரன் in Kungumam magazine

‘பதினாறு வயதினிலே’ படத்தின் ‘செந்தூரப் பூவே... செந்தூரப் பூவே...’வை மறக்க முடியுமா? எஸ்.ஜானகிக்கு தேசிய விருதைப் பெற்றுத் தந்த அந்தப் பாடலின் மூலம்தான் கங்கை அமரன் என்கிற பாடலாசிரியரை தமிழ்த் திரையுலகுக்கு அறிமுகம் செய்து வைத்தார் பாரதிராஜா. நீண்ட இடைவெளி விட்டு இப்போது பாரதிராஜாவுடன் கை கோர்த்திருக்கிறார் கங்கை அமரன். பாரதிராஜாவின் ‘அன்னக் கொடியும் கொடி வீரனும்’ படத்தில் பாடல் ஒன்றை எழுதியிருக்கிறார் அமரன்.

‘‘இன்னிக்கு தமிழர்களால மீட்கப்படணும்னு சொல்லப்படற தேவிகுளம், பீர்மேடு மலையடிவாரத்துல பிறந்த குடும்பம் எங்கது.
பாவலர் அண்ணன் கம்யூனிஸ்ட் கட்சிக்காக பாடுன பிரசாரப் பாடல்கள்தான் எங்களுக்கான இசை மூலம். மேடையில அவருக்கு கிடைச்ச கைதட்டல்கள், அண்ணனைப் போல பாடணும்ங்கிற ஆசையை அப்பவே என் மனசுல விதைச்சுது. 13 வயசுலயே நான் எழுதின பாடலை மேடையில அண்ணன் பாடியிருக்கார்.

அந்தச் சமயத்துலதான் மலேரியா இன்ஸ்பெக்டரா எங்க ஊருக்கு வந்தார் பக்கத்து ஊர்க்காரரான பாரதிராஜா. சினிமாத் தேடல்ல இருந்த அவரும் இசைத் தேடல்ல இருந்த நாங்களும் சந்திச்சது பெரியவங்க செஞ்ச புண்ணியமா இருக்கணும். ராஜாண்ணா, பாஸ்கரண்ணா, பாரதிராஜா மூணு பேரும்தான் முதல்ல சென்னைக்கு வண்டி ஏறுனாங்க. வாடகைக்கு மயிலாப்பூர்ல ஒரு வீட்டைப் பிடிச்சு இருந்தவங்களுக்கு ஓட்டல்ல சாப்பிட்டு கட்டுபடியாகலை. அவுங்களுக்கு சமைச்சு, துணி மணியெல்லாம் துவைச்சுப் போடறதுக்கு ஒரு ஆள் தேவைப்பட, ஊருல சும்மா இருந்த நான் சென்னை வந்தேன். எனக்குத் தெரிஞ்ச சமையலைப் பண்ணிட்டு, நேரங்கிடைக்கிறப்ப எதையாச்சும் எழுதிட்டே இருந்தேன்.

இந்த கங்கை அமரன், அண்ணன் பேச்சை மீறாம அவரோட டீம்ல கிடார் வாசிச்சிட்டிருந்தேன். ‘இவனும் பாட்டு எழுதுவான்யா’ன்னு நம்பி வந்த வாய்ப்புதான் ‘செந்தூரப் பூவே...’. முதல் பாட்டே தேசிய விருது. தொடர்ந்து முழுசா பாட்டெழுதுன படங்களும் வெளியாச்சு. ‘அம்மன் கோவில் கிழக்காலே’ மாதிரி சில படங்களுக்கு அத்தனை பாட்டுகளையும் எழுதுனேன். பிறகு தக்கிமுக்கி தனியா மியூசிக் பண்ற அளவுக்கு வந்தாச்சு. ‘ஒரு விடுகதை ஒரு தொடர்கதை’ படத்துக்கு முதன்முதலா இசையமைச்சேன். இந்த அவதாரமெல்லாம் முடிஞ்ச பிறகுதான் டைரக்டர் ரோல். பிரபு ஹீரோவா அறிமுகமான ‘கோழி கூவுது’ முதல் படம். விஜியும் அதுலதான் அறிமுகம்.

கடவுளோட கருணையில படம் வெள்ளி விழா கண்டுச்சு. அப்படியே இருபது படங்களுக்கு மேல இயக்கியாச்சு. பாதிக்கு மேல ஹிட். அதுல எவர்கிரீன் ‘கரகாட்டக்காரன்’. அதோட வெற்றி எனக்கு அமைஞ்ச வரம்.

எங்கயும் போய் முறையா இசையைக் கத்துக்காமலே, 200 படங்களுக்கு மேல இசையமைச்ச திருப்தி மனசுக்கு நிறைவா இருந்துச்சு. ரஜினி, கமல்னு எல்லாருக்கும் பாட்டெழுதியாச்சு. லதா மங்கேஷ்கர், ஆஷா போன் ஸ்லே ரெண்டு பேருமே முதன்முதலா என் பாட்டைப் பாடித்தான் தமிழ் உச்சரிச்சாங்க. இன்னொருபுறம் என் பையன் வெங்கட் பிரபுவோட மிருதங்க அரங்கேற்றத்துக்கு பேச முடியாத சூழல்லயும் முதலைமைச்சரா இருந்த எம்.ஜி.ஆர் வந்து கலந்துக்கிட்டார். சென்னையில சில சாலைகளுக்கு இசைக்கலைஞர்கள் பேரை வச்சது அந்த நிகழ்ச்சியிலதான். நான் எழுதுன மெலடி பாடல்கள் காலங்களைத் தாண்டி இப்பவும் இளைஞர்களால விரும்பப்படுது.

இதுக்கு மேல என்ன வேணும் எனக்கு? ‘சைல்டு வெல்ஃபேர் ஃபவுண்டேஷன்’ங்கிற அமைப்பு மூலமா ஆதரவற்ற குழந்தைகளோட வளர்ச்சிக்காக நேரத்தைச் செலவிடலாம்னு இருக்கேன்’’ என்றார் கங்கை அமரன்.

dochu
5th February 2012, 01:26 AM
Interestingly, I happened to see in IMDB site that IR is listed as the 11th best composer in the world. Obviously, there are only 2 from India.

http://www.imdb.com/list/b9kgD3oRpds/#Comments

Felt quite happy, but then it looks like some IMDB user's list. Probably a tamilian as well. I don't think it is anything authenticated by IMDB or belonging to IMDB. Am I right?

Hasn't IR gone past beyond any composer's record already? Why is he not achieved any recognition worldwide say Guinness.. anybody knows?

rajaramsgi
5th February 2012, 02:38 AM
Raja and GA have been having issues for more than 20 years now. It is not new. GA is loose talking about Rajannaa every time he gets interviewed. He even went to the extent of saying Panchu Arunachalam and Ilayaraja together diverted him from music field to cinema direction because he (GA) was getting more popular than Raja and thats how he ended up directing kozhi koovudhu. There were many such non-sense on that particular interview. I will search and post that clip if I find it.

GA mentioned in another interview about this as well: GA went to write the song 'Annan enna thambi enna' for the movie Dharamadurai. Raja okeyed the song without changing even one word. He said that he wrote that song based on his problem between him and Raja. Thats the time the family problem got escalated between them and GA parted away for thani kudithanam.

By the way, if you get a chance, listen to Coffe with Anu in which SPB and GA talk together with. Youtube has that video, check on the last part, you can understand GA's brainless attitude.

GA talks a lot. he bitches, he complains, particularly about Raja and his family. We all know about Raja and no need to defend him or praise him. GA has pangaaali issues.. 5 vayasula annan thambi.. 10 vayasula?

K
5th February 2012, 07:18 AM
http://adrasaka.blogspot.in/2012/02/blog-post_04.html

Sengathu Boomiyiley

RR
5th February 2012, 11:35 AM
SKV,rajaramagi

What goes on between IR&GA are their personal issues. Let's discuss only music, not bash anyone. Tks.

skr
5th February 2012, 05:06 PM
TV 9 Exclusive Interview with Ilaiyaraja
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-dVx5HrPvQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ov9h-z1kiE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JPatWhhasg

Plum
5th February 2012, 07:58 PM
Actually, Amaran's interview corroborates what I hear about IR - basically, like Thiyagarajar who was devoted to Rama and ended up causing so much disappointment in his family members viz-a-viz paasam that family members expect, it looks like Raja is devoted to music that is causing similar disappointment in his family members. I hear some first hand reports and Amaran's interview confirms it. I don't think lesser mortals can understand the plane his mind operates at - that includes you and me. A fascinating mind. I should copyright that title for the Hollywood movie in 2045 I guess :)

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
5th February 2012, 08:03 PM
ungakitta ethaachum kekkalaamnaa unga feeyem inbox full! irukkura messages ellaathayum otukkaa txt formatla download pannitu, appuram delete pannunga! antha option ippo irukku!

Fliflo
5th February 2012, 08:22 PM
TV 9 interview....IR back in full form....Save us from tis God :)

wizzy
5th February 2012, 09:05 PM
@Skr good share...delightful interview..his take on current MDs/isai varisu and making his notations public :rotfl2:

thumburu
5th February 2012, 09:48 PM
TV9 Interview - Raja speaks Telugu like a veteran !!! He seems relaxed and that Telugu "kArigai" also doesn't seem overwhelmed by his presence unlike thw Thamixh counterparts who end up annoying the enigmatic man. Now Iam left guessing about the interesting parts. Could somebody plz translate the key parts alone?

V_S
5th February 2012, 10:00 PM
Great day to start with Maestro's interview. Thanks a lot skr. :clap: All our questions are answered here again by Maestro. Few places I too did not get what he was saying. Mainly regarding preserving his notes (staff notation), remastering his classics. I think he was telling that yesterday's sunlight and moonlight will not happen today, something of that sort, but did not get fully. Great questions, even our channels didn't ask him these questions. The songs and the clips they featured truly brought the show the needed liveliness! When he said I am zero that is 100% sathyam, :notworthy:. I was truly delighted when he said (even though we know this, every time he says this, I get closer and closer to him), "music should happen and you cannot make it, if you make it, your mental reflection will be there".

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
5th February 2012, 10:40 PM
With my little telugu knowledge(0.0001%) i hink most of the answers he said are not new, said already in different interviews.

at same time, i think, his media presence is slightly becoming more... excess aa irunthaalum nallaarukkaathe!

skr
5th February 2012, 10:47 PM
Nasser speech on Dhoni Audio Release.
Though they have edited some portions of what he spoke , still listening to him makes us all Maestro Fans emotional.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=563qJOreBqI

MumbaiRamki
5th February 2012, 11:21 PM
Music has no language and so does his intervies - Fantastic thoughts , we have atleast some body who has the courage to speak what he thinks as truth . Of one sees this as an interview of a music professor , we get the perspective !

skr
6th February 2012, 12:12 AM
Kv and others
Just to update , Gowtham Menon has read the post on his wall and liked it :)
https://www.facebook.com/GauthamVasudevMenons
Now , its upto him whether or not to take the ideas.

teja
6th February 2012, 12:22 AM
Another interview, from Sakshi TV:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHaeZj6hDfA

V_S
6th February 2012, 04:38 AM
skr and teja,
Thanks for the videos. Towards the end of above video, there was one quesion which I didn't understand for which he says, 'we should wait till the dish is cooked and ready' sort of that. What was the question and what was his answer? Could you please explain.

teja
6th February 2012, 06:55 AM
V_S,

Question: "Why do some composers take for ever to deliver the tunes?".

IR was defending the composer fraternity. Says composing is like cooking a dish. There are so many steps right from getting the vegetables from the market, chopping, turning on the stove.. this and that, and only when the final product is ready, it comes to the table. There is no point in forcing them to deliver faster. Let them take their own time, in their own capacity.

Interviewer: "Then how could you do it so fast :)"

IR skips the answer by cutting a joke.

V_S
6th February 2012, 08:03 AM
teja,
Thanks for the translation. :smile: Hmmm... interesting and contrasting point of view from Maestro on the same subject, compared to the earlier video.

Gregorysab
6th February 2012, 10:18 AM
TV9 interview was good! Liked it! His telugu improved leaps and bounds.

Disappointed to know that he is not keen on remastering his old songs :-(

AravindMano
6th February 2012, 10:35 AM
Balachandar has become too old, isn't it? In his withered voice mentioning good things about Raja, very moving.

Gregorysab
6th February 2012, 10:38 AM
and in that Sakshi interview, for that "cooking food takes time" topic, when journo asked him - how come you do music quickly.. he replies.. "because you are coming to a place where the food is ready to be served already" :-)

rajabhakthan
6th February 2012, 02:34 PM
Can somebody translate this please?

http://www.idlebrain.com/news/2000march20/interview-ilayaraja.html

Gregorysab
6th February 2012, 02:52 PM
Rajabhaktan,

It is same as Sakshi TV video posted above.. just in print format.

Gregorysab
6th February 2012, 02:56 PM
Good interviews!

But The contrast or contradiction I see in them is about Sr Rama Rajyam. in TV9, raaja says that the digital technology that people are talking about, is there in Rama Rajyam as well. in sakshi tv interview, Raaja says Rama Rajyam doesnt have electronics and it has only live instruments (Raaja also says that all his films have live instruments also - which, frankly speaking, is false! but anyway). Thats weird! probably he didnt elaborate more, which makes it very contradictory!

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
6th February 2012, 03:04 PM
i too see a contradiction. may be i understood wrong, i don't know...

in one recent interview he said he hadn't listened to any new latest songs

in dhoni function he says, "inraya isai enge poi kondirukkirathu enru neengaLe paarthu kolllungaL"

San_K
6th February 2012, 04:56 PM
Raaja pechukku neradi artham paarthu kuzhampaatheenga. Avaru appadithaan! Go in a different direction, see in a different angle and find some different meanings, you will not get contrdiction :p

KV
6th February 2012, 06:19 PM
suttufied from the other NEPV thread:

Gauthamvasudevmenon @menongautham

It's the experience of a life time with raja sir..seriously. Thankful to whoever is responsible for this(up there).I have one awesome song.

wizzy
6th February 2012, 06:25 PM
with GVM expect accidental song leaks before the official audio launch :-P

madhu
6th February 2012, 07:29 PM
Hi All

In youtube somebody has mentioned that the real MD for the film Athma is Karthikraja only and not IR.

is it true ?

V_S
6th February 2012, 08:50 PM
and in that Sakshi interview, for that "cooking food takes time" topic, when journo asked him - how come you do music quickly.. he replies.. "because you are coming to a place where the food is ready to be served already" :-)
Thanks aakarsh. I rewinded that part almost ten times yesterday to understand what he was saying. Now it makes sense. Good one! :smile:

jaiganes
6th February 2012, 09:05 PM
Hi All

In youtube somebody has mentioned that the real MD for the film Athma is Karthikraja only and not IR.

is it true ?
not entirely true..
Ninaikindra paadhayil and kanaalan kaadhal are by KR, rest by Raaja including the almost impossible melody "Innarul tharum".

Plum
6th February 2012, 09:28 PM
Only ninaikkindra paadhayil by Karthikeyan. Rest all IR only. Karthikeyan was "officially" rumoured to have done 1) ninaikindra paadhayil(awesome effort by thambi karthikeyan by the way) 2) pandiyanin raajiyathil 3) hev vanjikodi from ponnumani 4)amaidhi paai bgm and kaalapani bgm partly 5) sollli vidu from amaidhipadai.

wizzy
6th February 2012, 09:54 PM
Remember AV giving a glowing review for Aatma..it was sleeper hit..it also had a energetic commie song Vidiyum Pozhudhu by Mano..for some reason I tend associate this song with Jagada Jagada from the Geetanjali.
Prathap Pothan has to be one of the highly underrated director when it came to hit combos with Raaja.. MDM/Aatma/Vetri Vizha..some strike rate that.

venkkiram
6th February 2012, 10:15 PM
Only ninaikkindra paadhayil by Karthikeyan. Rest all IR only. Karthikeyan was "officially" rumoured to have done 1) ninaikindra paadhayil(awesome effort by thambi karthikeyan by the way) 2) pandiyanin raajiyathil 3) hev vanjikodi from ponnumani 4)amaidhi paai bgm and kaalapani bgm partly 5) sollli vidu from amaidhipadai.

6) appadi paakkuRathunna venaa 7) karugu mani (am not sure how true these are)

baroque
6th February 2012, 10:18 PM
Mumbai Ramki told me that Janu's stunning VILAKKU VAIPPOM... ATHMA is
karthik raja's work appadinnu!

MumbaiRamki
6th February 2012, 10:23 PM
1) Appadi paakarthu - Only orchestration

2) Enge en kadhalai - Devathai - Only orchestration

3) hichiki hichiki - Paa - Full ( and some pieces in Paa)

I feel Kr has done many under IR , which may never know - I suspect meetadha oru veenai entire orchestration is by him ..

baroque
6th February 2012, 10:28 PM
Great,I am totally enjoying DHONI.

Hope to see Raja and GVM give me an album like mouna ragam or agninatchathiram or ninaivellam nithya type.

woke up this morning with agninatchathiram.

3 female solos in this album, plenty of piano, violin and guitar.

may be an album like AGNINATCHATHIRAM (though it has usage of synth).

I am dreaming of an album of that class, where lots of piano, violin, guitar, indian classical rags... 3 female solos, 2 duets, one male group song! Stunning work AGNINATCHATHIRAM.

Pakkalaam!

high expectations from GVM!

kj
6th February 2012, 10:37 PM
http://www.finderskeepersrecords.com/discog_fkr051.html

"Known by adoring fans and devotees, throughout South India, as Chinna Kuyil (Little Nightingale) on account of her expansive vocal range and crystaline sweet voice, the uplifting and surprising sound of K.S. Chithra is, for many, best exemplified by the early plugged-in-pop she made in the 1980s with the man/machine who first introduced her to the Tamil film industry, Maestro Ilaiyaraaja.

There are few records you will hear this year that combine the sounds of a child's choir, a DX7 bass line, three types of drum machine, a mariachi trumpet cry, a resampled forty-piece orchestra and an electronic bass line that takes the moog taurus by the horns and rides into the Indian summer. There is probably less chance of hearing a vocal performance so confusingly dazzling that it instantly detracts from the previously aforementioned wish list combination ofbizarre instruments but for those intrepid enough to dig a little deeper and take a detour due East, pick-axing right where Lollywood meets Bollywood - then prepare to be rewarded with a double, triple and quadruple whammy!

For odd pop fans with bad concentration spans, no musical staying power, or commitment issues then perhaps these schizoid A.D.D. arrangements will push the right buttons and recharge your batteries. For some of you, records like this only existed in your dreams.

Often locally discussed behind the limelight of her wider continental contemporaries such as Asha Bhosle and Noor Jehan it is almost impossible to find adequate comparison to K.S. Chithra. Try taking the yearning vocal energy of Turkey's Selda and the falsetto range of Morricone's best Italian choirs, add the playful existentialism of Poland's Urszala Dudziak and the cinematic pedigree of Asha then sprinkle some saccharine Jane Birkinisms on top and set your turntable pitch at plus 8 while you dream of Dots And Loops era Stereolab or a Malayalam Mantronix - alternatively just buy this first-time compendium and press play.

This compilation focuses on a small and select handful of Chithra and Ilaiyaraaja's developing collaborations from the formative years of their relationship between - 1986 and 1991- a vibrant time where analog recording techniques and digital technology first overlapped and Chithra, as a developing vocalist, adapted to the the sounds and arrangements of a classic maverick composer pushing the boundaries.

Following our previous compilation of the earlier Ilaiyaraaja film music with our Solla Solla compendiums Finders Keepers Records continue this relationship with the original rights holders, to bring these rare Tamil recordings the a wider global audience - never previously released on CD and considerably rare on their original vinyl pressings."

skr
7th February 2012, 04:00 PM
Singer S Janaki hospitalised.
Hoping the great nightingale gets well soon.
http://www.teluguone.com/tmdb/news/Singer-S-Janaki-Hospitalized-en-11671c1.html

Gregorysab
7th February 2012, 04:05 PM
Read on twitter that she is recovering!

Sureshs65
7th February 2012, 08:50 PM
Balu about Raja and his use of synthesizer. The singing by the contestant is bad so skip it and go for the comments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeCJkC_OJt8

SVN
7th February 2012, 11:38 PM
Get well soon Smt. Janaki!

The so-called National Media has NEVER acknowledged the nightingales Janaki and Susheela and probably never will! There's hardly any awareness of their greatness beyond the 4 southern states, although their achievements are on par with the famous Mangeshkar sisters.

With so much influence of Tamil and Telugu film personalities, journalists and other influential South Indians up North, why is that no one cares to get the due recognition for their contribution to Indian cinema? Alka Yagnik's dental appointments and Aditya Narayan's loss of his pet dog get more footage on the media! This is a real shame.

KV
8th February 2012, 12:12 AM
Found this (http://www.2shared.com/document/MyK995gF/BUDAPEST-Memoir.html)writeup in the collection of another Raaja fan: 'Music in Budapest - A Memoir is written by Maestro Ilayaraaja'
I don't remember reading this piece before (have just come across bits and pieces of info on different occasions). This seems to be taken off Raajangahm. Some very interesting points and incidents.
Going by what's said in it, there was/is no tiff between IR and LS due to Hey Ram (contrast to the popular perception that contempt broke out b/w the two). Raaja holds LS in high esteem and was even willing to play mediator b/w him and Kamal.
(btw, memoir? Really? :roll: Did he write it in English himself? If not, is there a Thamizh original of this writeup?)

KV
8th February 2012, 01:11 AM
Raaja's biography (http://www.2shared.com/document/PPyf92iV/Raja_Biography-English.html), written by one, Mr. K.Kalyan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K._Kalyan) (wiki: an Indian lyricist and music director predominantly working in Kannada cinema).
Are you thinking what I'm thinking? :grin:

Gregorysab
8th February 2012, 09:57 AM
KV! :-D yes! i do! hmm.. interesting :-)

kameshratnam
8th February 2012, 10:07 PM
Friends: Please visit this website and click on videos and see the ananda raagam song rehearsal by cello sekar and also the sundari kannal oru seidhi song for the dubai concert
http://www.cellosekar.com/
:: Cello Sekar's Website ::
www.cellosekar.com

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
9th February 2012, 08:21 AM
இரவு முழுதும் மயிலு, ஸ்னேஹவீடு, பாக்யதேவதா, மூன்றும் மாற்றிமாற்றி கேட்டேன். மயிலு சரியான டார்கெட் ஹிட். படம் வந்து, செங்காத்து பூமியிலே விட கொஞ்சம் அதிகம் விளம்பரம் செய்தால் கூட, பாடல்களை பட்டிதொட்டி சேர்க்க முடியும். சிட்டி மட்டும் செட்டாகவில்லை என்பது தோனியில் தெரிந்தது(என்னை சொன்னேன்!) மத்தபடி இதே ரேஞ்சில் போனா, ஹரி பேரரசு போன்ற கிராமிய இயக்குனர்கள் ராசாவை தேடிவர வாய்ப்புண்டு. என்ன அங்கங்கு பட்டி டிங்கரிங் பார்த்தால் உசிதம் (சில சமயம் கருத்து சொல்பவனின் தகுதியை விட சொல்லும் கருத்தை பார்க்கவேண்டும்) கௌதம் படம் மட்டும் ஹிட்டடித்துவிட்டால் நினைத்து பார்க்கவே குஜாலா இருக்கு! பிசிமயமான எதிர்காலம் உள்ளத்தில் தெரிகிறது :d

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
9th February 2012, 11:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D5YyGJB3bI&feature=related

Mayily songs packed into single youtbube video, with links on the video to select songs. nice idea! much better than raaga player(full of ads)

rajaramsgi
10th February 2012, 03:07 AM
மயிலு நல்லா இருக்கு..
ராஜா நல்லா இருக்கார்..பாட்டெல்லாம் நல்லா தான் இருக்கு.
ஆனா..
பவதாரிணி, கார்த்திக், திப்பு - இவிங்க குரலைvஎல்லாம்
கேட்க்கும் போது தான், பாலசுப்ரமணியம், ஜானகி, ஜெயச்சந்திரன், யேசுதாஸ்,
வாசுதேவன், தீபன் சக்கரவர்த்தி, கிரிஷ்ணசந்தர், சசி ரேகா, உமா ரமணன், ஜென்சி, சுனந்தா - இவங்கல்லாம்
20 வருஷத்துக்கு முன்னாடி,
ராஜாவோட பாட்டுக்கெல்லாம் எப்படி எக்ஸ்ட்ரா பலம் சேர்த்து இருக்காங்கன்னு தெரியுது.

யாத்தே பாட்டுல ஸ்ரீராம் பார்த்தசாரதி நல்லா பாடி இருக்காப்ல.

SKV's "சில சமயம் கருத்து சொல்பவனின் தகுதியை விட சொல்லும் கருத்தை பார்க்கவேண்டும்"

.... நல்லா இருக்கே. எங்கியாது இத எடுத்து விடனும்.

AravindMano
10th February 2012, 06:51 AM
நீதானே என் பொன்வசந்தம்’ பட இசைக்கு முதலில் ரஹ்மானை முடிவு செய்திருந்தார் கௌதம் வாசுதேவ் மேனன். ஆனால், ரஹ்மான் செம பிஸி. படத்தில் ஜீவா 80-களின் இளைஞனாகவும் ஒரு பகுதி வருவதால், 'இளையராஜாவிடம் கேட்கலாமே...’ என யோசித்து இருக்கிறார் கௌதம். 'ராஜா என்ன சொல்வாரோ?’ எனத் தயக்கத்துடன் தொலைபேசியவருக்கு, 'வாய்யா... சந்தோஷமாப் பண்ணலாம்!’ என்று இன்ப அதிர்ச்சி கொடுத்திருக்கிறார் இசைஞானி

For the uninitiated, Nee dhAnE endhan pon vasantham features a retro segment set in 80s and so Gautham thought of roping in Raja and he gladly accepted.

Divine22
10th February 2012, 10:52 AM
http://tamil.oneindia.in/movies/specials/2012/02/aishwarya-s-tryst-with-the-legends-aid0136.html

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
12th February 2012, 06:27 AM
Mayilu Songs making. enjoy how Raja teaches Bhavathaarini!

(1st of of 7 parts) bad recording quality, be warned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdjTeEeZAqw&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
12th February 2012, 06:35 AM
MUST WATCH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHd-uQz7j44&feature=related

AravindMano
12th February 2012, 08:51 AM
Twitter talk - Nee dhAnE en ponvasantham's telugu version teaser out on Valentine's day. I guess that means Tamil teaser will also be out.

K
12th February 2012, 10:06 PM
http://gopinath-walker.blogspot.in/2012/01/blog-post.html
கோபிநாத் said...
கோபி,

உங்களுடைய பதிவைப் படித்தேன் - நன்றி.

தெரிந்ததை share பண்ணிக் கொள்ளத் தோன்றியது. கமென்ட் போடும்போது டேபிள் எல்லாம் சரியாக வராது போல.. சோ, மெயில் அனுப்புகிறேன். ரசிக்கும் பட்சத்தில் additional text ஆக போட்டுக் கொள்ளுங்கள்.

ப்ரியமுடன்,
--பாலா அறம்வளர்த்தான்
=====================

"என்றென்றும் ராஜா" - ஜெயா டி வியில் பார்த்துக் கொண்டிருந்தேன். 'நீ பார்த்த" (ஹே ராம்) பாடலை ஹரிஹரன் நன்றாகவே பாடி இருப்பதாகத் தோன்றியது. இளையராஜாவின் இன்னொரு 'simple creativity'. நான் புரிந்து கொண்டதன் பேரில் ஒரு குட்டி விளக்கம். (சுருக்கமாகவே சொல்கிறேன் - ஓடி விடாதீர்கள் :-))

இந்த பாடலில் மூன்றே மூன்று வரிகள்தான் (ட்யூன்/இசை பொறுத்தவரை). ஒவ்வொரு வரியும் 8 beat கள் கொண்டது. (சும்மா தைரியமாக கை தட்டி count பண்ணுங்கள் Happy Birthday To You பாடல் மாதிரி ஈசி தான் :-) )

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
நீபா ர்த்த பார்வை க்கொரு நன்றி … … …
அயரா த இளமை சொல்லும் நன்றி நன்றி … …
உயிரே … … … வா … … …

வெவ்வேறு வரிகள் - மற்றபடி ட்யூனைப் பொறுத்தவரை முழுப் பாடலுமே இவ்வளவுதான். (தமிழ் சினிமாவின் மிகச் சிறியப் பாடலாக இருக்கக் கூடும் :-)) பாடலின் கடைசி பகுதியில் இதே வரிகளை ஹரிஹரனும் ஆஷா போன்ஸ்லேயும் ஒரே சமயத்தில் பாடும்போதுதான் ராஜா 'பொடி' வைத்திருக்கிறார். ஒரே சமயத்தில் இருவர்கள் பாடுவதாக ராஜா நிறையப் பாடல்களில் செய்துவிட்டார் (பலரும் கூட). மிக வித்தியாசமாக ராஜா இங்கு செய்திருப்பது:

ஆஷா எப்போதும் போல பாடுகிறார். ஹரிஹரன் முதல் வரியை படும்போது - 4 - நாலு இடம் தள்ளி எடுக்கிறார். அடுத்து, - 2 - இரண்டு இடம் தள்ளி எடுக்கிறார். கடைசி வரி (உயிரே வா) - 0 - ஒரே இடத்தில் எடுக்கிறார். பாடலில் முதலிரண்டு வரிகளை இருமுறை பாடுகிறார்கள் (ஹரிஹரன் பாடுவதை சிகப்பு வண்ணத்திலும், ஆஷா பாடுவதை நீல வண்ணத்திலும் கொடுத்திருக்கிறேன்)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
நீபா ர்த்த பார்வை க்கொரு நன்றி … … …
நீபா ர்த்த பார்வை க்கொரு
நமைச்சே ர்த்த இரவு க்கொரு நன்றி
நன்றி … நமைச்சே ர்த்த இரவு க்கொரு
அயரா த இளமை சொல்லும் நன்றி நன்றி … …
நன்றி … அயரா த இளமை சொல்லும் நன்றி நன்றி
அகலா த நினைவு சொல்லும் நன்றி நன்றி … …
… … அகலா த நினைவு சொல்லும் நன்றி நன்றி
உயிரே … … … வா … … …
உயிரே … … … வா … … …

இந்த வரிகளில் 'நன்றி' க்கு பிறகு கிடக்கும் நீண்ட gap இனால் இது சாத்தியப் படுகிறது. இல்லையென்றால் ஹரிஹரனால் வார்த்தைகளை முழுங்காமல் குறைத்து பாட முடியாது. இப்படி செய்வதற்கேற்ற ட்யூன், அதற்கான வரிகள் (கமலே எழுதியது என்று நினைவு), ஹீரோ ஹீரோயினை நெருங்கி நெருங்கி கடைசி வரியில் 'உயிரே வா'எனும்போது பிடித்துவிட்டதைப் போன்ற விஷயத்தை இசையிலேயே - வெறும் மூன்று வரிகளில் - கொடுத்திருப்பதை என்னென்று சொல்வது?

I dont worship any human being, however great the person is. But, I can borrow this line of Steve Jobs on Celloist Yo-Yo Ma - "You playing is the best argument, I ever heard for the existence of God" - I feel the same for Raja :-)

BTW, கர்னாடக சங்கீதத்தில் 'குறைப்பு' என்றொரு விஷயம் செய்வார்கள் - அதிலிருந்து வந்த 'inspiration' என்று நினைக்கிறேன்.

Gregorysab
13th February 2012, 09:29 AM
Telugu version of Neethane En Ponvasantham is titled as "Eto Vellipoyindi Manasu" (roughly translated as 'My heart has wandered somewhere" :-) )

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
13th February 2012, 10:01 PM
"Neenga Naan Raja Sir" recorded audio

http://www.radiomirchi.com/chennai/whats-hot/audio/45
http://www.radiomirchi.com/chennai/whats-hot/audio/50

skr
14th February 2012, 01:48 PM
Nee Dhaane En Pon Vasantham Teaser
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1UIq3gdgYw

krish244
14th February 2012, 02:19 PM
Thanks Skr! Nice electric (rock??) guitar followed by prelude of the original song played in guitar.

thanks,

Krishnan

skr
14th February 2012, 03:54 PM
YETO VELLIPOYINDHI MANASU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_WnXuci3PI

krish244
14th February 2012, 04:51 PM
Telugu version of "Kanmani Anbodu" song for telugu version teaser. Again nice modern touch with electric (rock??) guitar.

Thanks again Skr!

Krishnan

raja_fan
14th February 2012, 05:03 PM
Is this expression of love ? looks so artificial...particularly the acting of Samantha..

krish244
14th February 2012, 06:51 PM
Wondering if hindi version of teaser will be ready soon (i doubt it as preference will be given for tamil and telugu). This movie was announced to be trilingual.

thanks,

Krishnan

jaiganes
14th February 2012, 08:47 PM
Is this expression of love ? looks so artificial...particularly the acting of Samantha..
ippallaam ippadi thaan pola irukku.
modern times...

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
14th February 2012, 09:04 PM
expressing explicit feelings in movies has become a thing of past. Even in music. Do you hear anymore husky voices songs, like "Putham puthu kaalai" or "Senthoorappoove" ?!? Dream songs la kooda romba mechanical aa thaan irukkaanga. Female artist kku oru slight male-ish voice like Onraa Rendaa gnaabagam etc, Bombay Jayasree. The beauty is more in makeup, richness, location, fast editing, than a simple cute expression on face. Plastic life, plastic music. nothing soul stirring

MumbaiRamki
14th February 2012, 09:42 PM
yenaku perisa nambikkai illai -- every director who comes to Illayaraja after working with others gets reasonably good songs , but movie bombs badly

Gregorysab
14th February 2012, 10:04 PM
I care a damn if she looks plastic or metal! The music excites me! If GVM gets this right, there is some kickassness, looks like!

rajaramsgi
14th February 2012, 10:58 PM
>>http://gopinath-walker.blogspot.in/2012/01/blog-post.html
>>கிட்டார் இசைக்கலைஞர் (சரியாக அவர் பெயர் நினைவில்லை) பற்றியும் அவர் குடும்பத்தினர் பற்றியும் இசைஞானி நெகிழ்ச்சியுடனும் நன்றியுடனும் பகிர்ந்து கொண்டார்.

what and which guitar artist, Raja was talking about? anyone knows?

San_K
14th February 2012, 11:59 PM
hi cool dudes, I don't think the scnes in teaser will be inserted in the movie. GVM purposefully created these teaser just for a Ilayaraja musical :) I mean for audio release.

app_engine
15th February 2012, 12:38 AM
Interesting to notice one of those rare moments of more people viewing IR forum than Tamil Films forum on the hub (102 v/s 85)

:clap:

AravindMano
15th February 2012, 04:44 AM
Teaser is not about the film at all nu ninaikREn. Nobody is named, defined, nothing concrete is said. It's just louuu for Raja. AdhukkuLLa indha love analyse ellAm too much.

Hub la ellArukkum vayasAyiduchu :escape:

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
15th February 2012, 05:11 AM
It may be about the film too. who knows. As shown in the teaser, heroine is impressed when hero sings Raja's song..

AravindMano
15th February 2012, 05:20 AM
SKV - could be. But I will be not surprised if this is not in the film.

And as expected, Chinmayi tells someone in Twitter that music in the teaser was not scored by him and someone else.

jaiganes
15th February 2012, 05:22 AM
>>http://gopinath-walker.blogspot.in/2012/01/blog-post.html
>>கிட்டார் இசைக்கலைஞர் (சரியாக அவர் பெயர் நினைவில்லை) பற்றியும் அவர் குடும்பத்தினர் பற்றியும் இசைஞானி நெகிழ்ச்சியுடனும் நன்றியுடனும் பகிர்ந்து கொண்டார்.

what and which guitar artist, Raja was talking about? anyone knows?

this is the part where he mentions about how Sadanandam (Old MD Sudharsanam's son and key figure in Raaja's orchestra)'s house was their refuge in days of struggle..

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
15th February 2012, 05:58 AM
Yaaru play panninaa enna, tune yaarodathu!

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
15th February 2012, 10:31 AM
ஒளிப்பதிவாளர்செழியன்,இளையராஜா பற்றி உயிர்எழுத்து இதழில்(பிப்-2012)எழுதியுள்ள கட்டுரை http://bit.ly/yTcDBQ & http://bit.ly/xlikBP

krish244
15th February 2012, 11:49 AM
Deccan chronicle reporting that IR is composer for NEPV. Romba late pickup :)

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/channels/showbiz/kollywood/rahman-out-ilayaraja-168

"...Very few know that Gautham is an ardent fan of Ilayaraja and when he started his production Azhagarsamiyin Kuthirai, he has gone on record to DC that ‘it was the Ilayaraja factor that was a compelling point to produce the film’. ASK changed hands later, which is a different story.

Now, coming back to Neethane…, the title takes its name from the first line of one of Raja's popular songs from Ninaivellam Nithya.

To be made in Telugu and Hindi as well, Neethane… has Jiiva playing the lead in Tamil, Nani in Tollywood and Adhitya Roy Kapoor (Assi Nabey Poore Sau) in B’town with the filmmaker’s latest muse Samantha playing the female lead in all three languages..."

"...Though Gautham has not officially made an announcement about maestro Ilayaraja’s addition to the romantic trilingual, Jiiva has confirmed it in an interview."

Ayya, teaser'e vandhuchuyya with IR's name !

Thamarai pens lyrics for NEPV (from behindwoods):

http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news-1/feb-12-02/ilaiyaraja-thamarai-14-02-12.html

"...it will also have lyricist Thamarai joining hands with Ilaiyaraaja for the first time. The maestro is currently busy composing for the film in his recording studio at home. Thamarai, who is penning the lyrics and Gautham are with him to give their own creative inputs. The trio are enjoying themselves thoroughly.

Ilaiyaraaja, who is known for the record pace at which he composes tunes, has already finished three songs. Gautham and Thamarai were bowled over and can't wait to hear the remaining four songs. We can't wait either. Sources say that 65 per cent of the film is complete and the rest will be filmed in Chennai and USA."

thanks,

Krishnan

Gregorysab
15th February 2012, 11:57 AM
So there are 7 songs. COOL

rajaramsgi
15th February 2012, 02:15 PM
சதா சாரை பற்றி ராஜா சொன்னதை எடுத்து சொன்ன ஜெய்கனேசுக்கு நன்றி.

செழியனின் கட்டுரையை அவசியம் எல்லோரும் படிக்க வேண்டும். அவர் அங்கே எழுதி இருப்பதெல்லாம் சத்தியம், நாம் எல்லோரும் வேறு வேறு காலங்களில் வேறு விதங்களாய் அனுபவித்ததை அவர் இங்கே ஒரே பக்கத்தில் சொல்லி விட்டார். அவருக்கு எழுத தெரிந்து இருக்கிறது. சினிமாவில் எதை வேண்டுமானாலும் அவர் சாதிக்கட்டும், ஆனால் எழுதுவதை தொடர வேண்டும்.

இதை நம்மிடம் பகிர்ந்து கொண்ட சகலகலாவல்லவருக்கும் நன்றி.

* மண்பானையில் டேப் ரிகார்டை இணைத்தவர்கள் அநேகம்.
* வெளிநாட்டிலிருந்து வந்ததற்கான அடையாளம்
* அந்த நள்ளிரவில் பாடல் தரும் அனுபவத்தை மொழியில் எப்படி எழுத?
* கால இயந்திரம்போல அவரது எந்தப் பாடல் வழியாகவும் எனது இறந்த காலத்திற்குள் நுழைந்துவிட முடியும்.
* வாடகை வீடு. வெக்கை, வானொலி என காலத்தின் சுழற்சியில் பருவங்கள் இடங்கள் மாறினாலும் நான் ஒரே இட்த்திலிருப்பதைப் போலவே உணர்ந்தேன்.
* உலகத்தில் எல்லாம் மாறினாலும் ஒரு பாடல் போதும். எல்லோரும் திரும்ப வருவார்கள்.
* எங்கெல்லாம் உங்கள் பாடலைக் கேட்டிருக்கிறேன். எத்தனை இரவுகள், எத்தனை துயரங்கள், எத்தனை சந்தோஷம்.. உண்மையான ஈர்ப்பு என்னை இங்கு அழைத்து வந்து எதிரில் உட்காரவைத்து விட்டது.
* இசையின் உன்னத்த்தில் தீராத என் கண்ணீர் வழிந்துகொண்டே இருக்கிறது.

app_engine
15th February 2012, 06:33 PM
Ilaiyaraaja, who is known for the record pace at which he composes tunes

Tune ok, packaging-kku please no urgency sArE...even if takes a year, please get quality musicians / equipments / packagers and bring out something like agni* - musically rich as well as trend-setting...this project appears to be a good opportunity for rAsA to showcase to youngsters what capabilities exist with this man even today...at the minimum a cheeni kum / pA please...

BTW, the taste shown by the choices of Gautam so far increases the expectations...

-uRavukaL thodarkadhai
-kOdail kAlakkARRE
-en iniya pon nilAvE
-nee thAnE enthan
-kaNmaNi anbOdu (priyaththamA)

nalla taste irukku (IMO) and he should be able to get some sweet guitarish stuff from rAsA :-)

Plum
15th February 2012, 06:58 PM
To be fair,whatever songs you pick from Raja's hits in 80s, you are bound to come off as a man with taste, no, app? Is it possible to pick a wide cross-section from 80s and come across as a man without taste? :)

app_engine
15th February 2012, 07:48 PM
Sorry for not being explicit, Plum...I should have added 'guitar thookkal' stuff :-)

One of the strongest points of IR, IMHO.

Gregorysab
15th February 2012, 09:26 PM
BTW, the taste shown by the choices of Gautam so far increases the expectations...

-uRavukaL thodarkadhai
-kOdail kAlakkARRE
-en iniya pon nilAvE
-nee thAnE enthan
-kaNmaNi anbOdu (priyaththamA)

huh? do you mean that this film will have rehashes? and that too of these songs? Has he already let the track-list out?

SoftSword
15th February 2012, 09:29 PM
endha oru logic'ume illaama neengalaam epdi palaya tunes re-use pannuvaanganu pesitu irukkeenga...
yaaru modhallo konduvandhadhu ipdi oru pointa...

thamizh padatthula eppo raja rehash pannirukkaar?
idha vera nemba ilutthittae poreenga.... :evil:

Nerd
15th February 2012, 09:46 PM
huh? do you mean that this film will have rehashes? and that too of these songs? Has he already let the track-list out?
No, these are the songs he has used in his movies so far.

-uRavukaL thodarkadhai - Vaaranam Aayiram, sung by GVM
-kOdail kAlakkARRE - Vaaranam Aayiram, sung by GVM
-en iniya pon nilAvE - Vaaranam Aayiram, sung by Surya
-nee thAnE enthan - NEPV teaser, sung by GVM
-kaNmaNi anbOdu (priyaththamA) - YVPM teaser, sung by Nani(?)

This apparently means he is a huge fan of these songs and app_e was saying the man has got good taste and he will extract guitar-rich songs from Raja.

app_engine
15th February 2012, 10:02 PM
This apparently means he is a huge fan of these songs and app_e was saying the man has got good taste and he will extract guitar-rich songs from Raja.

mikka nanRi, Nerd, for explaining what I meant!

Definitely no rehashes, please - udanE ivarukku sarakku inimEl illainnu ezhudha (hub uLpada) pala idangaLil vishamikaL kAththukkittu irukkAnga!

app_engine
15th February 2012, 10:11 PM
BTW, that Chezhiyan article is a must read for anyone who grew up with IR's music!
:thumbsup:

Actually, it's a very similar story to what I've been blAh-blAh-ing in the IR-SPB thread for almost a year :-)

avar azhagA, surukkamA (i.e. realtively) orE katturaiyil viLAsiththaLLi vittAr :-)

krish244
15th February 2012, 10:30 PM
Oneindia site fan range'la NEVP trailer'a vilakki irukkiraar:

http://tamil.oneindia.in/movies/specials/2012/02/ilayarajaa-neethane-en-ponvasantham-trailer-rocks-aid0136.html

"...படத்தின் முதல் ட்ரெயிலர் தமிழ் - தெலுங்கில் வெளியாகியுள்ளது. இந்தியில் இன்னும் வரவில்லை.

தமிழில் நீதானே என் பொன்வசந்தம் பாடலின் ஆரம்ப வரிகள் பேஸ் கிடாரில் இசையாய் வழிய, மனசு கிறங்கிப் போகிரது. தெலுங்கு ட்ரெய்லரில் கண்மணி அன்போடு பாடலின் இசையைப் போட்டிருக்கிறார்கள்..."

"...இந்த ஆண்டின் மனதை வருடும் இசையாக, காதலைக்கொண்டாடும் படமாக நீதானே என் பொன்வசந்தம் அமையும் என்பது மட்டும் உறுதியாகத் தெரிகிறது!"

Expectations'a kilappi vidaraanga !

thanks,

Krishnan

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
15th February 2012, 11:49 PM
Both the tamil and telugu teasers, each have crossed 1.5 lakh views in one day. Good thing for a teaser! If you count the duplicates, the count will be much more.
http://www.youtube.com/user/photonkathaas1?feature=watch

San_K
15th February 2012, 11:58 PM
Wov, telugu too has almost same views. Looks like teaser is a hit :thumbsup:. Even in my office we had talk

dochu
16th February 2012, 02:58 AM
what a novel way to salute/respect the maestro!!!

Mr.Menon - my hats off to you for recognizing the great man!.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
16th February 2012, 11:54 AM
Ilayaraja and S.Janaki Duet Songs - LISTEN 25 GEMS here
http://www.sjanaki.net/tamil-duets-janaki-with-ilayaraja

raja_fan
16th February 2012, 01:35 PM
Without the music, the NEP teaser would look like Thyagaraja Bhagavathar film
"Naaathaaa......"
"Enna......kanne......"

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
17th February 2012, 07:50 AM
Must watch! Bach on harmonium!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHd-uQz7j44&feature=related

btw, glad to know Prakashraj is the producer of Mayilu!

AravindMano
17th February 2012, 09:54 AM
Dig - Where is KV these days? Teaser ku kooda vandhu attendance pOdala!

Sureshs65
18th February 2012, 01:05 AM
If you know to read Tamil, immediately head over here and read the article. If you don't know Tamil, get a friend who knows and ask him to read it for you. It is that good.

Violin Vicky explains Illayaraja's use of waltz and jazz waltz in this lovely article.

http://solvanam.com/?p=19324

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
18th February 2012, 02:14 AM
Suresh, Just saw ur post here. I posted the same link in another thread, just now

app_engine
18th February 2012, 02:25 AM
If you know to read Tamil, immediately head over here and read the article. If you don't know Tamil, get a friend who knows and ask him to read it for you. It is that good.

Violin Vicky explains Illayaraja's use of waltz and jazz waltz in this lovely article.

nanRi, Sureshji!

As usual, very interesting read from solvanam :clap: :clap: :clap:

This time around, though, there's a difference - I can understand a lot of details in it :-)

kiru
18th February 2012, 06:13 AM
There are people who write 'urai's (explanatory texts) for master works. Sometimes, the urais themselves are as popular as the original work. To me, Violin Vicky, is one of those teachers who brings the works of a master closer to the common man.
(BTW, was watching enRenRum rAjA on youtube - when I was thinking these guys are playing a Schubert symphony so very well.. IR starts idhayam pOgudhE .. I was almost in tears .. the Hungarian guys .. no wonder are lovingly looking at him when he is playing the piano for nee paartha ..what a mastery over a alien art.. doing what bharathi said - kalaichchelvanGaL yaavum konduvanthu sErppeer)

V_S
18th February 2012, 08:15 AM
Thanks a lot Suresh ji for sharing Vicky's article.

This article deserves multiple reads. The songs taken to showcase Maestro's supremacy in Jazz Waltz are the ones I would have listened thousand times without knowing these patterns, yet it needs experts like Vicky to reveal its hidden beauty and nuances. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: From this article one thing is very clear. Maestro did not start his Jazz compositions only recently (I mean frequently), he has started way back in 80s. But what surprises me is he says that he is learning Jazz now.:notworthy: He is already a master in this art, applying his own imaginations and techniques in conceiving and transforming a film song/situation from Jazz. :smile:

ஆனால் அந்த இசை வகையை அப்படியே பிரதியெடுத்துத் தமிழில் கொடுக்காமல், தன்னுடைய திரையிசை வடிவுக்குள் நாம் முற்றிலும் யூகிக்கமுடியாத இடத்தில், மிகவும் பொருத்தமாக உபயோகிதிருப்பார்.

'சொர்கத்தின் வாசற்படி' என்ற திஸ்ர ஏக தாளத்தில் அமைந்த பாடலைக் கேட்பவர்களுக்கு, துவக்க இசை, இடையிசைகளில் மேற்கத்திய ஜாஸ் வால்ட்ஸ் வந்துபோவது வியப்பாக இருக்கும். ஆனால் திஸ்ர ஏக தாளத்துக்கும், ஜாஸ் வால்ட்ஸ் தாளகதிக்கும் இருக்கும் இணைத்தன்மையைப் பயன்படுத்திக்கொண்டு, மரபான திரைப்பாடலிலிருந்து ஜாஸ் வால்ட்ஸ் வடிவத்துக்குள் அடிக்கடி கூடு விட்டுக் கூடு பாய்கிறார் இளையராஜா.

எண்பதுகளில் வெளிவந்த 'கீதம் சங்கீதம்'. மோகன ராகத்தின் அழகை சாதாரண ரசிகர்களும் புரிந்துகொள்ளும் வகையில் ஸ்வரங்களின் நகர்வை இப்பாடலில் அமைத்திருக்கிறார் இளையராஜா. இப்பாடலின் மெட்டை வாய்விட்டுப் பாடிப்பார்த்தால் அது எவ்வளவு சாஸ்த்ரீயமான, மரபான உணர்வைக் கையாள்கிறது எனப் புரியும். உதாரணமாக ‘நீ தானே என் காதல் வேதம்’ எனும் இடத்தில் ‘பஸ தரி ஸக ரிப கத பா ரீ ஸா’ என தாட்டு வரிசைக்கொத்த ஸ்வர சஞ்சாரங்களை சாதாரணமாகக் கேட்கலாம். ஆனால் தாளகதியில் தரப்பட்டிருக்கும் ஜாஸ் வால்ட்ஸ் அசைவின் காரணமாக, பாடல் மெட்டின் சாஸ்த்ரீய அமைப்பை மீறி ஒரு புத்துணர்வான நவீன வடிவம் கேட்பவருக்குக் கிடைக்கிறது.

I don't remember much listening to Sathya's song IngEyum AngEyum, but need to listen to it now after Vicky's explanation on that song.

இந்தியாவின் பல்வேறு இசையமைப்பாளர்களை நான் ஓரளவே கேட்டிருக்கிறேன். ஆனால் நான் கேட்டவரை, இந்திய இசையமைப்பாளர்களில், இப்படிப்பட்ட ஜாஸ் வால்ட்ஸ் தாள அமைப்பில் பாட்டை அமைத்தவர்கள் அரிது, அல்லது இல்லவே இல்லை என்று சொல்வேன். Idhu pOthum sir enakku! Many many thanks to Vicky!

skr
18th February 2012, 09:47 AM
Violin Vicky :bow: :bow:
Maestro Ilaiyaraaja :bow: :bow:

Its not an exaggeration to say that Ilaiyaraaja has invented or rather pioneered his own version/interpretation of Jazz Waltz Rhythm :clap: :clap:

Gregorysab
18th February 2012, 10:21 AM
If you don't know Tamil, get a friend who knows and ask him to read it for you. It is that good.

Suresh - Please do the honours, by translating :-)

venkkiram
18th February 2012, 10:37 AM
அருமையான, செறிவான கட்டுரை.. நன்றிகள் பல விக்கிக்கும் அதை இங்கு எடுத்துவந்த சுரேஷிற்கும். சத்யா படப் பாடலை இப்போதுதான் கேட்கிறேன். லதாஜியின் குரல் இனிமையா இருக்கு!

V_S
18th February 2012, 09:53 PM
Read the article again. :smile:

Dil Dil Dil Dil Manathil - Vicky brilliantly explains (in the video) how it would have sounded outdated if it would have been done with traditional waltz, and how it sounds new and fresh since it was composed in Jazz Waltz. The finishing chord is ultimate:notworthy:. I heard some say Raja's music mostly employs tabla for rhythm arrangements, but from this article we can see how tabla plays an important role in Jazz Waltz rhythm, as Vicky explained. All these rhythm arrangements happen simultaneously when a song is written by him and he does not add them separately as said below. He gives same importance to vocals, tune, orchestration and rhythm arrangements.

பாடலின் மெட்டு உருவாகும்போதே இசைக்கருவிகளையும் கற்பனை செய்துகொள்வதன் மூலம்தான் இப்படிப்பட்ட பாடல்களையே உருவாக்கமுடியும். ஆகவே, இளையராஜாவின் பாடல்களில் உபயோகிக்கப்பட்டிருக்கும் இசைக்கருவிகள், மெட்டுக்கான பிற்சேர்க்கைகளாக இல்லாமல், மெட்டு, குரல் ஆகியவற்றுக்கு சமமான இடத்தை வகிக்கின்றன.
Very well said! :thumbsup:

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
19th February 2012, 05:04 AM
Illayaraja Interview (1989) - Frontline (http://7swara.blogspot.in/2009/03/illayaraja-interview-1989-frontline.html) Old one. most of us would have read it. worth a read.

kameshratnam
19th February 2012, 12:35 PM
Message from Bhavadharini on twitter

Bhavatharini @bhavatharini
Wow!!25years of dads nonfilm album how to name it and nothing but wind.follow this link bit.ly/zV5tnN and give your feedback

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dDRYcENOTW1TYWR1MFJyMUt5WHYxNXc6M Q#gid=0

AravindMano
20th February 2012, 09:33 AM
Two songs complete, says Vikatan. http://cinema.vikatan.com/?option=com_content&view=article&id=1887&cid=903&Itemid=63

raajarasigan
20th February 2012, 03:29 PM

http://solvanam.com/?p=19324Very good link Sureshji!!! needs more attention to get the nuances.. marudiyin padikkanum.. :D

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
21st February 2012, 10:25 PM
One IR fan's experience, as he posted in twitter

1993இல் ரஹ்மான் புயலென பிரவேசித்து அளித்த 4 படங்களில் கவனம் குவிந்திட, இளையராஜா அதே ஆண்டில் போட்ட 40 படங்களை சரியாக கவனிக்கவில்லை-1 #ஆத்மா

அதிலொன்று http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0070','SNGIRR0071','SNGIR R0074'&lang=en அன்றய ரஹ்மானுக்கு பின் சூழலை ஒப்பிடாமல் ராஜாவிற்கான தரவரிசையிலும் ரொம்ப நாள் பிரமாதமாக தோன்றவில்லை-2

இன்று கவனமாக கேட்டபோதுதான் இதன் திறமையான இசையமைப்பும் சிக்கலும் புரிகிறது. -3

இன்று உடனடி கவர்ச்சியின்றி அலுப்பாக தோன்றும் இளையராஜாவின் பல பாடல்களின் நுண்மைகள் 20 வருடங்கள் கழித்து புரியலாம் -4

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
22nd February 2012, 07:50 PM
from facebook....

"சங்கத்தில் பாடாத கவிதை...அங்கத்தில் யார் தந்தது"...இந்தியாவின் அனைத்து மொழிகளிலும் மக்களை தனக்கு அடிமையாக்கி வைத்துள்ள இந்த அற்புத டியூனை, முதன் முதலாக ராஜா இசைத்து காட்டிய போது, தன்னுடய படத்திற்கு இந்த பாடல் வேண்டாம் என்று என்று நிராகரித்திருக்கிறார் இயக்குனர் பாக்யராஜ்.

“தூறல் நின்னு போச்சு” படத்தின் டூயட்-டிற்காக டிஸ்கஷன். இயக்குனர் பாக்யராஜூ, துணை இயக்குனர் பாண்டியராஜன், ராஜா என்று அனைவரும் ஆஜர். அப்போது வந்த டியூன்தான் “சங்கத்தில் பாடாத கவிதை”. ஆனால் இதை கேட்ட தருணத்திலயே தனக்கு இந்த பாடல் வேண்டாம் என்று சொல்லி இருக்கிறார் பாக்யராஜ்.

பாக்யராஜ் நிராகரித்ததை அடுத்து “அந்த பாடல் நன்றாக இருகிராது. அதையே நாம் பயன்படுத்தி கொள்ளலாம். வேண்டாம் என்று சொல்லாதீர்கள்” என்று கட்டாயப்படுத்தி இருக்கிறார் இயக்குனர் பாண்டியராஜன். ஆனால் “பாடல் நன்றாக இருப்பது உண்மைதான்..ஆனால் அது தூறல் நின்னு போச்சு.க்கு சரி பட்டு வராது” என்று ஒரேடியாக நிராகரித்திருக்கிறார் பாக்யராஜ்.

அந்த டியூனை மலையாள படத்தில் 84 – ம் வருடம் பாலுமஹேந்திரா பயன்படுத்தியதும், அதே வருடம் தமிழில் “ஆட்டோ ராஜாவில்” உபயோகபடுத்தியதும், பின் தெலுங்கில் பயன்படுத்தி, அந்த தெலுங்கு படத்தின் தமிழ் டப்பிங்கிலும் இடம் பிடித்து, ஹிந்திக்கு போய் என்று இந்த டியூன் ஒரு “இந்தியா சுற்றியா வாலிபன்”.

“சங்கத்தில் பாடாத கவிதை”...(தமிழ்)
தும்பி வா தும்பகுடத்து...(மலையாளம்)
ஆகாசம் ஏனாடிதோ... (தெலுங்கு)
“நீர்வீழ்ச்சி சூடானதே” --- (ஆகாசம் ஏனாடிதோ ..பாட்டின் தமிழ் டப்பிங்)
கும் சும் கும்...(ஹிந்தி)
ஹிந்தியில் “பா”-படத்திற்கு முன்னதாகவே பிரபலமாக ஒரு படத்தில் பயன்படுத்த பட்டிருக்கிறது

app_engine
22nd February 2012, 08:53 PM
இந்த டியூன் ஒரு “இந்தியா சுற்றியா வாலிபன்”.

This was featured in the Italy concert also, possibly in another avtAr (instrumental? Mood on kApi or something like that?)

So, USV-nnum sollalAm :-)

kameshratnam
22nd February 2012, 10:08 PM
[QUOTE=sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar;818942]from facebook....

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar - So u are part of facebook group: Raja fans: I had only posted it in facebook from another group. What is your name in that group Raja Fans?

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
23rd February 2012, 05:25 AM
Search for Vijay Sa. Actually it is Vijay SA but facebook not allowing two capitals simultaneously

btw, i rarely see facebook, though, the RajaFans group is full of information!

Sureshs65
23rd February 2012, 05:43 PM
Kana Praba setups a small guitar quiz, of Raja pieces. Just 5 of them. Check it out here:

http://radiospathy.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/63.html

K
24th February 2012, 02:29 PM
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=349835935060509&set=a.120306754680096.9721.112842955426476&type=1
‘சிரிப்பு, அழுகை, பிறப்பு, இறப்பு எனப் பாடல்களாலேயே ஆகிவிட்டது இந்த வாழ்க்கை. அதுவும் நாலு தலைமுறைக் கண்ணீரையும், புன்னகையையும் இந்தப் படுபாவி இளையராஜா எடுத்துக்கொண்டார்

kameshratnam
25th February 2012, 12:02 AM
i will be the bad boy

Link for ilayaraajas ramayanam released in 1999

http://www.dhingana.com/play/the-secret-of-ramayana-with-english-narration-vol-/MTM1MzAxLDEzNTMwMg%3D%3D/pop/1

Gregorysab
27th February 2012, 05:28 PM
Flipkart launches Flyte, its online music store where we can buy music. I found many Raaja songs there! Happy buying :-)

http://www.flipkart.com/mp3-downloads

Gregorysab
27th February 2012, 05:30 PM
Was checking out Hindi version of Telugu film Ashwa Medham(just out of curiousity): http://www.flipkart.com/akhri-inteqam/p/itmd5bv9ucgf3p9u?pid=DGAD5BUPMHJN9UNY
Surprised to see Vani Jayram singing the Hindi versions of songs. I thought there were no Raaja-VaniJayram songs in 90s. Is this a rare instance?

raajarasigan
27th February 2012, 05:34 PM
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=349835935060509&set=a.120306754680096.9721.112842955426476&type=1
‘சிரிப்பு, அழுகை, பிறப்பு, இறப்பு எனப் பாடல்களாலேயே ஆகிவிட்டது இந்த வாழ்க்கை. அதுவும் நாலு தலைமுறைக் கண்ணீரையும், புன்னகையையும் இந்தப் படுபாவி இளையராஜா எடுத்துக்கொண்டார்from who's page? Facebook blocked here.. :sad:

Plum
27th February 2012, 06:15 PM
Aakarsh, I suspect the Telugu dubbings of Tamil hits and such hindi dubbings happened without Raja's involvement. Basically, as App keeps alluding even w.r.t Raja's original recordings, a fixed cost contract sort of. In this case, possibly contracted to someone who is not Raja and he hired cost effective singers possibly. App alleges that during late 80s even Raja might have resorted to cost-effective singers like Mano for the cost factorm

K
27th February 2012, 07:49 PM
from who's page? Facebook blocked here.. :sad:
http://www.facebook.com/raagadevan
ஆனந்த விகடனில் திரு. ராஜூ முருகன் எழுதிய, ’வட்டியும் முதலும்’ கட்டுரையிலிருந்து சில பகுதிகள்:

நினைக்கும்போதே பட்டென்று திறந்த சாயங்கால ஜன்னலில் இளங்கோ அண்ணனின் முகம் தோன்றுகிறது. கூடவே, மணிமொழி அக்காவின் முகம் பரவி, ‘மயங்கினேன்.. சொல்லத் தயங்கினேன்’ பாடல் ஒலிக்கத் துவங்குகிறது. 20 வருடங்கள் இருக்கும். ஒரு ‘டி 90’ கேசட் முழுக்க ‘மயங்கினேன் சொல்லத் தயங்கினேன்’ பாடலைப் பதிந்து வைத்து, சாயங்காலம் ஆனால் பாட்டைப் போட்டுவிடுவான் இளங்கோ அண்ணன். அந்த நேரத்தில் அம்சாத்தா வீட்டுக் கொல்லையில் ஆட்டுக்கல்லில் மாவாட்ட வந்திருக்கும் அக்கா. ‘கம்முனாட்டி.. அத அமுத்துறா’ என் ஆத்தா திட்ட.., அதே பாட்டு மறுபடி மறுபடி ஒலித்துக்கொண்டிருக்கும். கைலி, முண்டா பனியனோடு துண்டால் முதுகை முறுக்கிக்கொண்டு பாடல் பின்னணியில் வேலிப்படலோரம் அவன் நிற்கிற காட்சி புகைப்படம்போல் இருக்கிறது இப்போதும். நெடுந்தூர ஊர் ஒன்றில் அக்கா வாக்கப்பட்டுப் போன நாளில் இருந்துதான் அந்தப் பாட்டுச் சத்தம் நின்றிருக்கக்கூடும்.

அதன் பிறகு, பூண்டி காலேஜில் சேர்ந்திருந்த ரவி மாமா, வீட்டில் நேஷனல் டேப் ரிக்கார்டர் வாங்கி வைத்து, பாட்டுப் போட ஆரம்பித்தார். ‘கண்மணி நீ வரக் காத்திருந்தேன், ஜன்னலில் பார்த்திருந்தேன்’, அவரது ஃபேவரைட். கொல்லையில் எறும்புகள் ஊறும் செம்பருத்திச் செடியின் அடியில், சீயக்காய் மணக்க ஈருளியில் பேன் பார்த்தபடி கிசுகிசுத்துக்கொண்டிருக்கும் அத்தைகளின் மேல் அந்தப் பாடல் ஒலிக்கும். கோகுல் சாண்டல் பவுடர், ரோஸ் கலர் ரிப்பன், மருதாணி காயும் விரல்கள், காற்றில் உருளும் கொத்து முடி, பித்த வெடிப்புப் பாதம், ஆதுரம் ததும்பும் ஸ்பரிசங்கள்.. இவ்வளவும் எழுகிறது இந்தப் பாட்டுக்குப் பின்னால். ‘ஈரமான ரோஜாவே, என்னைப் பார்த்து மூடாதே’ பாடலைப் பிரபலப்படுத்தியது கட்டாரி மாமா. ‘உன் வாசலில் என்னைக் கோலம் இடு, இல்லை என்றால் ஒரு சாபம் இடு’ என்ற வரிகள் ஒலிக்கும்போது ‘மாலைமதி’க்குள் லெட்டர் வைத்துக்கொண்டு அத்தைகளின், அக்காக்களின் வீடுகளுக்குப் போன தேவதூதர்களில் நானும் ஒருவன். யாரும் அறியாத் தனிமைகளில், இதயத்தில் இருந்து மெல்லிய குரலில், அக்காக்கள் பாடுவதைக் கேட்டிருக்கிறீர்களா? அது.. ஏக்கமும் பிரியமும் ததும்பும் எல்லை இல்லா ஆத்மார்த்தம்.

முதுகில் வரி எழுதிக் கண்டுபிடிக்கும் பால்யத்தின் விளையாட்டை மறுபடி காதலில் ஆடிப்பார்க்கும்போது பாடல்கள் எவ்வளவு பெரிய காவியங்களாக மாறி விடுகின்றன? பாடல்கள் வெறும் பாடல்கள் மட்டும் இல்லை. ராமநாதபுரத்தில் அப்பாவோடு முதல்முறையாகத் தியேட்டருக்குப் போய் ‘கடலோரக் கவிதைகள்’ படம் பார்த்துவிட்டு வந்து பஸ் ஸ்டாண்டில் படுத்திருந்த போது, ‘கொடியிலே மல்லிகப்பூ மணக்குதே மானே’ பாடலை மாமாவும் ஒரு போலீஸ்காரரும் பிசிறு இல்லாமல் மாறி மாறிப் பாடிக்கொண்டு இருந்தது, இந்த நொடி வரை பிசிறு இல்லாமல் நினைவிருக்கிறதே எப்படி?

நண்பன் குணா மனைவி கர்ப்பமாக இருந்தபோது எப்போதும் வயிற்றுக்குப் பக்கத்தில் இளையராஜாவின் ‘ஹவ் டு நேம் இட்’ஐயும், ‘நத்திங் பட் விண்ட்’ஐயும், ‘ரமண மாலையையும்’ வைத்துக்கொண்டே உட்கார்ந்திருந்தான். பெண் குழந்தை பிறந்து, குடும்பமே கூடி அங்கலாய்த்தபோதும், ‘ஜென்ஸி’ என்று அவன் பெயர் வைத்துக் கொஞ்சியது எவ்வளவு பெரிய பிரியம்..!

’தாழம்பூவே கண்ணுறங்கு’ பாடலைத் தேடித் தேடிப் பிடித்து ரிங்டோனாக வைத்துக்கொண்ட கீதக்குமாரி சிஸ்டருக்கு 40 வயதாகியும் இன்னும் ஏன் கல்யாணமாகவில்லை?

‘சிரிப்பு, அழுகை, பிறப்பு, இறப்பு எனப் பாடல்களாலேயே ஆகிவிட்டது இந்த வாழ்க்கை. அதுவும் நாலு தலைமுறைக் கண்ணீரையும், புன்னகையையும் இந்தப் படுபாவி இளையராஜா எடுத்துக்கொண்டார்.

நள்ளிரவுக்கு மேல் ‘நின்னைச் சரணடைந்தேன்’ பாடலைக் கேட்கும்போது இன்ப-துன்பம், வன்மம் எல்லாம் கரைந்து, மனம் ஒரு விண்மீனாகி, எல்லையற்றப் பெருவெளியில் ஒளிர்ந்து ஒளிர்ந்து உதிர்கிறது. எத்தனை எத்தனை பாடல்கள்.. பேரன்பின் கண்ணீரில் ஆன்மா கரையும் தருணத்தைத் தாய்மையும், காதலும், இசையும்தானே தர முடியும்?

பறவைகள் தடயங்களே இல்லாமல் போய்விடுகின்றன. அவற்றின் எச்சங்கள் மரங்களாவதைப் போலத்தான் இந்த இசையும் பாடல்களும். நேற்று சந்தோஷமாயிருந்த மனம் இன்று சோகமாகிவிட்டது. ஏதோ மனச் சோர்வு. பகிர முடியாத தனிமை. பயம். நள்ளிரவைத் தாண்டியும் உறக்கம் இல்லாமல் எழுந்து சிஸ்டத்தில் பாட்டு வைக்கிறேன். பொசுக்கென்று நெஞ்சில் ஏதோ நிம்மதி பூக்கின்றது. ஜன்னலில் நிலா இறங்கும்போது இந்தப் பாட்டில் தூங்க ஆரம்பிக்கிறேன்..

“துன்பம் இனியில்லை சோர்வில்லை, சோர்வில்லை தோற்பில்லை”

நன்றி : ஆனந்த விகடன் 29.2.2012

app_engine
27th February 2012, 08:56 PM
http://www.facebook.com/raagadevan
ஆனந்த விகடனில் திரு. ராஜூ முருகன் எழுதிய, ’வட்டியும் முதலும்’ கட்டுரையிலிருந்து

:kaNNeer:
:Pullarips:
:PAdAippaduththudhal:

konja nALAvE indha 'nostalgia ALungaLOda thollai' thAnga mudiyalayEppA :-)

Gregorysab
28th February 2012, 11:31 AM
Aakarsh, I suspect the Telugu dubbings of Tamil hits and such hindi dubbings happened without Raja's involvement. Basically, as App keeps alluding even w.r.t Raja's original recordings, a fixed cost contract sort of. In this case, possibly contracted to someone who is not Raja and he hired cost effective singers possibly. App alleges that during late 80s even Raja might have resorted to cost-effective singers like Mano for the cost factorm

Plum,

I am aware of the fact that Raaja was not involved in the dubbing ventures, atleast the less important films. But I am trying understand the process. Where were these recordings done? same prasad studios? or did Raaja's assistants pass on the tracks (minus vocals) to arrangers, who presided over the dubbed versions, in another studio. Vani Jayram case surprised me because I remember reading somewhere that Vani Jayram and Raaja had a tiff during late 80s. And I never heard Vani Jayram's voice in Raaja's albums after 1990. If what I read is true, then, was Raaja aware that Vani was recorded his dubbed films? or he didnt really look at such things?

On a tangential note, my personal opinion is that Raaja should have paid good attention to his dubbed ventures. Afterall, it was his name that the album was carrying, when sold in andhra Pradesh. You will shocked to see the number of albums dubbed into Telugu. We have even Ninaivelam Nithya dubbed into Telugu. But recording quality was nowhere close to original (which, I feel, was recorded well). Not just about recording quality, but even the selection of singers in some other albums was not impressive.

If i remember it right, after Roja was a hit, Maniratnam's Dalapathy and Nayakan were dubbed into Hindi. The composer credit was Ilaiyaraaja. And the singers included even Kumar Sanu :-) I am sure raaja was not involved in dubbing.

Plum
28th February 2012, 01:08 PM
Correct kamal. Agree with everything you say. Choice of singers - prim and uptight vaniamma singing for amala and nirosha in gharshana :rotfl:. Hope someone like kalyan can shed light on dubbing process in these cases

raajarasigan
28th February 2012, 02:41 PM
Thanks 'K'.. I can feel his emotions :)

app_engine
28th February 2012, 06:06 PM
I remember reading somewhere that Vani Jayram and Raaja had a tiff during late 80s.

I am hearing this for the first time :shock:

I think VJ was not IR's "preferred singer" at any point of time, right from the beginning of his career. It's a fact that she was singing more of MSV / S-G songs when IR was coming up, which could be due to VJ's choice (or vice versa). However, whenever the producer / director wanted her, IR gave delicious numbers. (orE nAL unai nAn, nee kEttAl nAn mAttEn enRA, en kalyANa vaibOgam, nAnE nAnA, ennuLLil EdhO being 70's hits).

I have never read anywhere IR talking less of VJ or about any tiff between them. OTOH, I've read IR praising SJ a lot in many interviews, telling she was the one with top vidwat (apart from giving her a major % of his initial hit tunes).

Let's leave alone IR for a moment, how many songs has VJ sung during 90's - for any MD - in TFM?

Sureshs65
28th February 2012, 06:18 PM
Yesterday night we ran a #HighEnergyRaja song list on twitter. My friend @mayilsenthil compiled the songs that were suggested by various people. Ofcourse given the huge number of high energy songs of Raja this is just a very small subset. We will probably run one or two more in the future. Here are the songs for your enjoyment:

http://t.co/8Y5tpSrB

Fliflo
28th February 2012, 07:45 PM
http://cinema.nakkheeran.in/Talkies.aspx?T=1349

இளையராஜாவின் சொந்தப் படத்தை இயக்குகிறார் கௌதம் மேனன்!

இளையராஜாவின் சொந்த தயாரிப்பு நிறுவனமான பாவலர் க்ரியேஷன்ஸ் கோழிகூவுது, அலைகள் ஓய்வதில்லை, கொக்கரக்கோ போன்ற படங்களை தயாரித்துள்ளது. பாவலர் கிரியேஷன்ஸின் பல படங்கள் வெள்ளி விழா கண்டன. பல நாட்களுக்கு பிறகு பாவலர் க்ரியேஷனஸ் தயாரிப்பில் இறங்குகிறது.

பாவலர் க்ரியேஷன்ஸ் தயாரிக்கும் படம் கௌதம் வாசுதேவ் மேனனின் படமாக இருக்கலாம் எனத் தெரிகிறது. கௌதம் வாசுதேவ் மேனனின் படத்திற்கு இளையராஜா முதல்முறையாக இசையமைக்கிறார் என்ற செய்தி பரபரப்பாக பேசப்பட்டு இப்போது தான் தணிந்தது.

பாவலர் க்ரியேஷன்ஸ் தயாரிக்கும் படங்களுக்கு இளையராஜா தான் இசையமைப்பார். பாவலர் க்ரியேஷன்ஸ் தயாரிப்பில் கௌதம் மேனன் படத்தை இயக்கினால் இளையராஜாவும் கௌதம் மேனனும் மற்றொரு முறை இணைவது உறுதி.

சென்ற ஆண்டு சில படங்களுக்கு இசையமைத்த இளையராஜா, இப்போது 10க்கும் மேற்பட்ட படங்களுக்கு இசையமைத்து வருகிறார். தமிழ், இந்தி, தெலுங்கு, கன்னடம், மலையாளம் என பல மொழிகளில் பணியாற்றி வருகிறார்.

நீ தானே என் பொன்வசந்தம் படத்தின் 30நொடி முன்னோட்டத்தில் ராஜா ராஜா தான் என்ற தன் தனித்துவத்தை வெளிப்படுத்தி இருக்கிறார் இளையராஜா.

மீண்டும் ராஜாவின் ராஜாங்கம்!

Gregorysab
28th February 2012, 10:43 PM
I am hearing this for the first time :shock:

I think VJ was not IR's "preferred singer" at any point of time, right from the beginning of his career. It's a fact that she was singing more of MSV / S-G songs when IR was coming up, which could be due to VJ's choice (or vice versa). However, whenever the producer / director wanted her, IR gave delicious numbers. (orE nAL unai nAn, nee kEttAl nAn mAttEn enRA, en kalyANa vaibOgam, nAnE nAnA, ennuLLil EdhO being 70's hits).

I have never read anywhere IR talking less of VJ or about any tiff between them. OTOH, I've read IR praising SJ a lot in many interviews, telling she was the one with top vidwat (apart from giving her a major % of his initial hit tunes).

Let's leave alone IR for a moment, how many songs has VJ sung during 90's - for any MD - in TFM?

Cant recall where... but i vaguely remember! but anyway, there are many songs of Janaki/Susheela that VJ sang, in dubbed versions. Needless to say, poor dubbing quality.

sureshmehcnit
28th February 2012, 11:13 PM
Maestro's Malleable Motifs

http://www.backgroundscore.com/2012/02/maestros-malleable-motifs.html

Devaraagam
28th February 2012, 11:29 PM
BIG THANKS aakarsh. found few albums which i was looking in the market for long time. I got KR's Album

AravindMano
29th February 2012, 10:37 AM
Menon in Twitter.

>>The music of nee thane and yetto velli will feature the voices of raja sir, yuvan and karthik>>

>>Watched spellbound, listened and was lost in happiness as raja sir recorded a song yesterday in his own voice>>

>>Karthik has sung.. Not karthik raja..>>

rajaramsgi
29th February 2012, 03:18 PM
same news in vikatan.com

இளையராஜா + யுவன் + கார்த்திக்!
Wednesday, 29 February 2012 04:39
கெளதம் வாசுதேவ் மேனன் இயக்கி வரும் படம் 'நீதானே என் பொன்வசந்தம்'. ஜீவா, சமந்தா, சந்தானம் மற்றும் பலர் நடித்து வருகிறார்கள்.

இப்படத்திற்கு தமிழ் திரையுலகில் பெரும் எதிர்பார்ப்பு நிலவி வருகிறது. இப்படத்தை தமிழ், தெலுங்கு, இந்தி என மூன்று மொழிகளிலும் ஒரே சமயத்தில் இயக்கி வருகிறார் கெளதம்.

கெளதம் மேனன் படங்களில் பாடல்களுக்கு முக்கியத்துவம் இருக்கும். முதன் முறையாக 'நீதானே என் பொன்வசந்தம்' படத்தின் பாடல்களுக்கு இளையராஜாவோடு கைகோர்த்து இருக்கிறார் கெளதம் மேனன்.

காதலர் தினத்தன்று இப்படத்தின் FIRST LOOK, YOUTUBE இணையத்தில் வெளியிட்டார்கள். படத்தின் பாடல்களுக்கான பணிகளில் ஈடுபட்டு வருகிறார் இளையராஜா.

இந்நிலையில் பாடல்கள் குறித்து கெளதம் மேனன் தனது டிவிட்டர் இணையத்தில் " 'நீதானே என் பொன்வசந்தம் படத்தின் தமிழ் மற்றும் தெலுங்கு பதிப்பில் இளையராஜா, யுவன், கார்த்திக் பாடியுள்ளார்கள். அதைப் பார்ப்பதே பெரும் ஆனந்தமாக இருந்தது. நேற்று இளையராஜா தன் குரலில் ஒரு பாடல் பதிவு செய்தார். " என்று தெரிவித்துள்ளார்.

இளையராஜா இப்படத்தின் இசைக்காக ஹாங்கேரி நாட்டிற்கு சென்று பதிவு செய்ய உள்ளார்.

krish244
29th February 2012, 03:44 PM
Same news on behindwoods:

http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news-1/feb-12-05/yuvan-neethaane-en-ponvasantham-29-02-12.html

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
29th February 2012, 03:46 PM
"...இளையராஜா இப்படத்தின் இசைக்காக ஹாங்கேரி நாட்டிற்கு சென்று பதிவு செய்ய உள்ளார்..."

Mmm....interesting.

thanks,

Krishnan

irir123
29th February 2012, 07:36 PM
hungary ?? so jazz again ? while entirely welcome, my hopes were on something entirely different !

rajaramsgi
29th February 2012, 07:46 PM
நீ தானே என் பொன் வசந்தத்தில் ரொம்ப சிரத்தை எடுத்து, படத்தில் லயித்து, காட்சியில் உருகி எல்லாம் ராஜா பாட்டு போட வேண்டியதில்லை.. போகிற போக்கில், ஜாலியான மூடில் பாடல் போட்டால் தேவலாம். அப்படி போட்ட பாடல்கள் தான் இன்றும் நம்மை கட்டி போட்டிருகின்றன. அவரும் யுவனும் பாடி இருக்கிறார்கள் என்பது நல்லா விஷயமா என்று தெரியவில்லை. யுவன் பாடினால் நெளிவு சுளிவு இல்லாதது போல் இருக்கிறது.

ராஜா நம்மை சுண்டி இழுக்கும் துள்ளலான டூயட் பாடல்களை தருவாரா?பிள்ளையார் பிடிக்க போய் குரங்கு பிடித்து வந்த கதையாக ஆகிடாமல் இருக்க வேண்டும் என்பதே என் கவலை.

SoftSword
29th February 2012, 07:48 PM
idhu ipdi irukka, most the IR's singing in yuvan's music are awesome pieces.

Fliflo
29th February 2012, 08:07 PM
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/78719.html

The team will soon be leaving to Hungary and England to record a symphony.

England too? ...Ore build-up-a irukku..Hope we get a classic.

baroque
1st March 2012, 12:05 AM
Varadhu varattum, let the music album come first!

vinatha.

irir123
1st March 2012, 09:56 AM
hungary for symphony ? ennaya comedy nadakkudhu! IR goes to work with hugary symphony orchestra for NEPV and not to compose a symphony! - Indiaglitz is pathetically hilarious

krish244
1st March 2012, 11:13 AM
Mumbai added to the list of places music is being composed/recorded for NEPV:

"...Buzz is that plans are on by Ilayaraja to visit Hungary and England for symphony for the film. Ilayaraja is currently composing songs in Mumbai."

http://www.supergoodmovies.com/40449/kollywood/ilayaraja-to-go-to-hungary-england-news-details

thanks,

Krishnan

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
1st March 2012, 10:20 PM
http://www.rajtamil.com/2012/02/manathodu-mano-29-02-2012-jaya-tv-show/

Guiar Prasanna in "Manathodu Mano" in Jaya TV and talks a lot about namma aaLu

San_K
1st March 2012, 10:42 PM
Thanks sakala, i was about to search this. kumbida pona theivam kurukka vanthiduchu

layman10
2nd March 2012, 05:50 AM
http://www.flipkart.com/mp3-downloads/albums/contributor-ilayaraja-concursxjgxdttpr#scrollTo=3520

Loads of MP3s to buy. No sure how good it is and if available from outside India. But please buy what is available.

vssathish
2nd March 2012, 10:49 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/SingerKarthikFC

Singer Karthik tweets

In mumbai n Jus recorded a couple of songs for 'nee thane en ponvasantham'! Great to be a part of gautham menon- ilayaraja combo!!! -Karthik

V_S
3rd March 2012, 08:07 AM
Thanks wizzy and skv for sharing the Manadhodu Mano links. Prasanna, What an amazing talent! Every music lover should watch this episode. It is unbelievable, how he can bring various sounds in guitar and multiple melodies at the same time in guitar. No words. Mediocre talents becoming music directors in films nowadays, that too we see them popping up every day. Real talents like these persons should come and contribute in films, so that music in film industry does not die down in quality. I would like him as composer in films.

SoftSword
3rd March 2012, 08:49 AM
think he is very much into film music...
ya watta talent...

Sureshs65
3rd March 2012, 06:27 PM
Yuvan Shankar Raja tweeted that he sung a pathos song for NEVP and I can conclude from the twitter comments that the overall expectation has come down by half :lol:

Anyway, Ravi Nataraja continues dissecting Raja's chorus. Some nice songs in the latest blog post:

http://geniusraja.blogspot.in/

And Raj gives a nice lilting song in his blog, a rare song.

http://ragamanjari.blogspot.in/

Gregorysab
3rd March 2012, 07:43 PM
Yuvan Shankar Raja tweeted that he sung a pathos song for NEVP and I can conclude from the twitter comments that the overall expectation has come down by half :lol:

So yuvan singing 1 or 2 songs in NEVP.. Hmm.. it certainly gives a drift, of what kind of album can we expect. Sorry, infact, it gives a drift about what not-to-expect. When the news of GVM teaming up with Raaja first came out, lot of people took the expectations to the level of Maniratnam-Raaja combo (which I found surprising..). But now, with yuvan singing and all, I think people will not expect a Geethanjali or Agni Nakshatram or even Pallavi Anu Pallavi.
Who knows what is in store! Lets wait till April.

San_K
3rd March 2012, 09:15 PM

:lol:

I think little reverse, Yuvan fans will treat this as a new yuvan album and support it. So, for the same reason, it will get reverse effect from Raaja fans?

SoftSword
3rd March 2012, 09:29 PM
edhukkunraen.... thevayae illanraen...

MumbaiRamki
3rd March 2012, 09:34 PM
:lol:

I think little reverse, Yuvan fans will treat this as a new yuvan album and support it. So, for the same reason, it will get reverse effect from Raaja fans?

I think it should be like Paa album's original songs - I dont expect anything so great that touches his 80s output , but anything comparable to ecent times would be ok

SVN
3rd March 2012, 11:50 PM
When it comes to Yuvan numbers, can't they handle it like the good ol' days? i.e. record two versions (Yuvan and say, a Karthik version), retain both versions in the album, and use the better one in the movie? It can serve as an ego-booster, can help with album sales, catering to discerning music lovers as well as fans of Yuvan's kolaveri singing and also do justice to the movie :) ?

Wonder when the son will learn to speak good Tamizh from his 'daddie'!! Cringe-worthy stuff!

San_K
3rd March 2012, 11:56 PM
Wonder when the son will learn to speak good Tamizh from his 'daddie'!! Cringe-worthy stuff!

idhu pointu. U1 mattuma moonume appdi thaanungo. Petrala bava than firstu, 10 vaarthaila onnno rendu than tamil thappi pizhaikkum. Yaarai kutham solla?. antha kaalathu pullaigalE apdithan englifees padichchaathan pesinaathan gowravam. Simmakuralon sivaji puththiran aarambathila tamila pesa mudiyaama irunthaaramE?, but prabhu improved very well. Athey maathiri raaja puththirargalum seivaangala?

SVN
4th March 2012, 12:28 AM
San_K, Well, Sivaji's son Prabhu was still much better.
என்ன, கொஞ்சம் 'ன' Vs 'ண' தகராறு; 'ல' Vs 'ள' தகராறு! :)
The same problem still persists for seniors like Radhika and Nasser!

But the likes of Yuvan, Bhava and to a great extent ARR have fundamental Tamil pronunciation problems! They can learn a lesson or two from Shreya Ghoshal! And some people are better off making music behind the scenes than unleashing their vocal talent on the unsuspecting music lovers. Point to be noted is that the same type of people put in so much effort in learning urdu and Hindustaani sangeet before even they get a chance to sing a 20 second jingle in Mumbai!

At least, to much of our relief, MDs have stopped roping in Udit Narayan and Sadhana Sargam for Tamil songs. Thank God for small mercies!

venkkiram
4th March 2012, 12:42 AM
At least, to much of our relief, MDs have stopped roping in Udit Narayan and Sadhana Sargam for Tamil songs. Thank God for small mercies! She got a national award for Tamil song from Azhagi movie and she is far better than Lata Mangeshkar and Asha bhosle in Tamil diction.

rajaramsgi
4th March 2012, 02:08 AM
looks like many of us are not in favour of yuvan's singing capabilities :-) ராஜாவுக்காக இது வரைக்கும் பவதாரிணி, யுவன் குரலை சகிச்சுகிட்டு இருக்கேன்...

and I agree with SVN's comment "And some people are better off making music behind the scenes than unleashing their vocal talent on the unsuspecting music lovers. ".

layman10
4th March 2012, 05:20 AM
http://www.rajtamil.com/2012/02/manathodu-mano-29-02-2012-jaya-tv-show/

Guiar Prasanna in "Manathodu Mano" in Jaya TV and talks a lot about namma aaLu

A tweet about Prasanna: Looks like he is including Raja's pieces in his concerts

http://twitter.com/#!/fullyaltered/statuses/173569803372593152

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
4th March 2012, 01:41 PM
Yesterday Raja quix happened in twitter here - https://twitter.com/#!/kweezzz

Suresh65 was one of winner! P_R was a runner up! Listen to the song bits on soundcloud to see how good you are, in finding Raja songs!

Sureshs65
4th March 2012, 08:35 PM
Thanks Sakala.

Aravind Mano was the first prize winner by a huuuuuge margin. I think Nerd would have won as well but he had to go away. I was placed third but that was because most of the questions were answered by my wife!!! Lots of 80s stuff which I didn't know and she knew.

BTW, one interlude by mistake was a Deva one!!!!

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
4th March 2012, 08:49 PM
Me too found few little songs but not a single case where i knew all 3 :( But when i listened to all the songs in the soundcloud, i found some rare songs which i knew!

And that Deva one, its me who tweeted first about that but it didnt appear in kweezz's timeline. Poor deva :lol:

It would be nice if this kind of quiz happens every 10 days. but agree lot of time and effort needed by the host! At same time, just wondering what a lot of games can be playes with Raja's huge body or work! For example a BGM finding quiz...

Saagar
4th March 2012, 09:32 PM
San_K, Well, Sivaji's son Prabhu was still much better.
என்ன, கொஞ்சம் 'ன' Vs 'ண' தகராறு; 'ல' Vs 'ள' தகராறு! :)
The same problem still persists for seniors like Radhika and Nasser!

But the likes of Yuvan, Bhava and to a great extent ARR have fundamental Tamil pronunciation problems! They can learn a lesson or two from Shreya Ghoshal! And some people are better off making music behind the scenes than unleashing their vocal talent on the unsuspecting music lovers. Point to be noted is that the same type of people put in so much effort in learning urdu and Hindustaani sangeet before even they get a chance to sing a 20 second jingle in Mumbai!

At least, to much of our relief, MDs have stopped roping in Udit Narayan and Sadhana Sargam for Tamil songs. Thank God for small mercies!

A digression, but Can't help commenting here, (Heard Radhika too was UK Brought up till her teens, so undertandable), although this may not be about Anglo influence alone - Let alone many other native celebs, many commoners also dont get this right while speaking esp 'ல' Vs 'ள' , "zha" , say VaaLkai for VaaZHkai. PaLam for Pazham.

Thamizhukku zha Azhagu.

San_K
4th March 2012, 11:20 PM
Deva vukku rendu mugam irukku onnu Dava at IR peak time, innonnu Deva at ARR peak time. He is perfect copier, athanala konjam jaakirathaiya irukkanum

V_S
7th March 2012, 12:02 AM
Spellbound by this trailer music of Happi. This is what we call Western Classical music! Only Maestro! Udambu, naadi narambellaam ennavO pannuthu!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFqUXRWDp14

This winter'nu solraanga. Winter almost gone. Seekirama release pannunga sir!

V_S
7th March 2012, 04:05 AM
The visuals in B&W is always special. Stole my heart straightaway, right from the starting frame when Pankaj was sitting alone, the lone bicycle, heavy rains with Pankaj's face in close with the charlie's caption :notworthy:, till the last titles, nicely done trailer. Maestro's music right from opening flute, cello, violins, piano with that short humorous horn and ending with painful oboe, truly this is going to be a masterpiece (atleast musically, as these kind of off-beat films may not be successful), if this film is going to see the light. Every second of this trailer music squeezes my heart and which reflects in my eyes.

V_S
7th March 2012, 05:55 AM
Maestro's Malleable Motifs

http://www.backgroundscore.com/2012/02/maestros-malleable-motifs.html
Wow! Can't believe Maestro composed 20 versions of same theme in Kaadhal Kavithai, yet every theme has got its own purpose and lived upto it. Thanks a lot Suresh for this great find and also for excellent analysis and reasoning for Maestro's background score. :clap:

Another beauty in Kadhal Kavithai was, that was the peak time Raja has been written-off quite mercilessly.

venkkiram
8th March 2012, 12:18 AM
Me too found few little songs but not a single case where i knew all 3 :( But when i listened to all the songs in the soundcloud, i found some rare songs which i knew!

And that Deva one, its me who tweeted first about that but it didnt appear in kweezz's timeline. Poor deva :lol:

It would be nice if this kind of quiz happens every 10 days. but agree lot of time and effort needed by the host! At same time, just wondering what a lot of games can be playes with Raja's huge body or work! For example a BGM finding quiz... எனக்கு மிகவும் பிடித்த விளையாட்டு. கல்லூரியில் கடைசி ஆண்டிற்கான கலாச்சார விழாவில் இந்த "இடையிசை கொடுத்து பாடல் கண்டுபிடிக்கும் யுத்தியை" புகுத்தினேன். டேப் ரெக்கார்டர் கேசட்டில் பதிவி செய்து ஒரு வழியாக சமாளித்தோம், இப்போது இணையத்தின் உதவியால் வேலை சுலபம். நேற்றிலிருந்து என் முகநூல் பக்கத்தில் இந்தப் போட்டியை ஆரம்பித்து வைத்திருக்கிறேன். நன்றி சகல இதை தெரியப்படுத்தியதற்கு.

krish244
8th March 2012, 05:43 AM
IR gets "Bharathamuni Arts Academy" best MD award for Sri Rama Rajyam.

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/telugu/article/79032.html

thanks,

Krishnan

rajsekar
8th March 2012, 09:21 PM
As we all know, the National Movie Awards for year 2011 were announced on March 7. Almost all mainstream media news sites listed the winners, except for two glaring omissions. Two important categories were missing from the announced list - Best Music Directions (Songs) and Best Background Score.

I had to dig through several websites and got the names – as usual, I am surprised:

Best Music Direction (Songs) - Neel Dutt for Bengali movie "Ronjona Ami Aar Ashbona"
Best Background Score - Mayookh Bhowmick for Bengali film "Laptop"

As an ardent fan of Raaja, I am disappointed by these awards. Who were the runners-up?
Everyone was expecting Raaja to bag Best Background Score for atleast one of these movies - A.Kuthirai, Sri Rama Rajyam, Hello Jaihind. Sri Rama Rajyam could have been runner-up for songs with 13 classical items. How about Rahman's "Rockstar"?

The other surprising award is Best Female Playback singer for Roopa Ganguly - Bengali film "Abosheyshey". Who was the runner-up?
I was expecting Shreya to bag this award. Shreya did a fantastic job in at least three languages - Snehaveedu, Sri Rama Rajyam and Dirty Picture. Just hear the accurate pronunciations and melody in all three languages. She is an amazing and incredible singer.

For Male Playback singer, Hariharan (Snehaveedu, Hello Jaihind) and Mohit Chauhan (Rockstar) were strong contenders.

The million dollar question for Govt. of India's Information & Broadcasting Ministry is this. Why can't the government appointed screening committee (we still live in 18th Century British Raj) announce the runners-up for each category besides all films that were nominated? India's film industry is a bizzare association of nearly 20 languages - The Best Movie Award went to Byari language film "Byari", which is a language spoken by a miniscule population in Kasargod/ D.Kannada districts of Kerala and Karnataka. Can anyone get a DVD? We have to wait for Doordarshan to screen the film next year.
Why can’t we allow members of the film fraternity to vote for these awards? Or have a National Film Festival and select the winners (Cannes Model). This is an appalling situation with our National Awards.

For next year 2013 awards, don’t be surprised if Dhanush wins Best Playback Singer for “Kolaveri Di” and Anirudh for Best Music Direction (Songs) for “3”. No one can forget that Sridevi was snubbed by National Awards Committee for her role in “Moondram Pirai”. Raaja should have received one more award for 1986 - “Punnagai Mannan”. He got it for “Sindhu Bhairavi” the same year. 2010 award for Amit Trivedi was again twisted. I heard Dev.D songs several times and couldn’t comprehend how the committee chose this film.

app_engine
8th March 2012, 09:42 PM
rajsekar,
Welcome to the club :-)

Most IRF's here have given many "personal awards" to him and no longer care about "notional awards" :-)

teja
9th March 2012, 09:02 PM
National awards are a farce. It's bizarre that they gave away 'Regional best film' awards to every single language film except Telugu! Jury has completely ignored Sri Rama Rajyam. As per the telugu media and some other trusted sources, Jury didn't want to consider Sri Rama Rajyam for any category as they seem to associate Rama to BJP! (Shocking) Added to that, some Congress leaders at national level (T.Subbiramireddy and co) played some cheap tricks to get Sri Rama Rajyam out of the picture as it happens to be a Balakrishna film (TS is not in good terms with Balakrishna's sis).

Dirty politics!

V_S
9th March 2012, 09:06 PM
Oh No! that's unbelievable. Why are they mixing art with politics and personal affairs. Can't they see it as a stand-alone art? That's totally unforgivable! I could not digest such a hard-work went without any recognition.

venkkiram
9th March 2012, 09:08 PM
Tomorrow if BJB comes to power, I wish IR not involving any Muslim/Christian based movies!

rajsekar
9th March 2012, 10:59 PM
app_engine – I agree 100% in what you said. At the same time, all artists should get due recognition for their hard work and talent. It’s indeed very demoralizing to snub talent and recognize mediocrity for whatever reasons. A classic case that everyone knows is that our great Mahatma Gandhi was never conferred a Nobel Peace Prize. Can we name one individual in the entire 18th – 21st century who has shunned violence and war to achieve a country’s freedom? Anyway, I digress here.

Our National Award winners are usually bizarre, to mildly put it. Look at the films/ categories ignored for 2011 – Angadi Theru, Mynaa, Nandalala, Kalavaani and Madarasapatinaam. Mysskin’s Nandalala’s was raw and had powerful performance by the lead character. Maestro’s background score for Nandalala was terrific and aided the flow of the film. Certainly Nandalala should have won Background Score award rather than Isaac Thomas Kottakapally for Malayalam film “Adaminte Makan Abu”. Instead “Aadukalam” won six National Awards in 2011.

The 59th National Film Awards – Feature Film Jury members who were appointed by Ambika Soni, I&B Minister include 10 members - filmmakers K.P. Kumaran, Vinay Shukla, Prakash Belawadi and Hiren Bora, actor Aloknanda Roy, film editor A.S. Kanal, academicians K. Hariharan and Ranjani Mazumdar, writer Kishwar Desai and former joint director of Osian's Cinefan film festival Latika Padgaonkar. There are no music artists in the jury panel. How can they judge categories like Best Lyrics, Best Playback Singer, Best Music Direction and Background Score.

I encourage TFM members to listen to Neel Dutta’s songs from the Bengali film “Ronjona Ami Aar Ashbona” which won the Best Music Direction (Songs) award – there are 10 songs in the album. What’s your take?
http://calcuttatube.com/ronjona-ami-ar-ashbona-2011-bengali-movie-review/152416/
I’m sure everyone has listened to Rahman’s “Rockstar” – are “Ronjona” songs better tuned. The 13 songs from Sri Rama Rajyam songs are all classical and melodious.

Roopa Ganguly (Best Female Playback Singer) citation reads that she was given the Award "for her husky and haunting voice that gives a gentle, nostalgic tone and tenor to the film, "Abosheshey". The languid raw sensuality of her singing is heightened by the absence of musical accompaniment." Roopa rendered two Tagore's songs in " Abosheshey" - "Dure kothao" and "Bijon ghore".

Composer Mayookh Bhaumik was confined to his hospital bed when he got the news of being adjudged the Best Music Director for the background score in Kaushik Ganguly's "Laptop". The composer has been acknowledged for bringing in a "new dimension with his unconventional musical rendering using both live and electronic instruments to counterpoint the urban tragedies that accompany the peripatetic laptop". TFM members should watch the Bengali movie “Laptop” in Youtube and compare the background score to “A.Kuthirai”.

kr
10th March 2012, 12:17 AM
I dont know if this is old news here. iTunes has an Album "Ilayaraaja Black (Emptiness)" that has all the songs from the movie Eera Vizhi Kaviyangal for those interested.

rajsekar
10th March 2012, 02:21 AM
Maestro's prediction comes true - It now turns out that Maestro had rightly predicted that the Azhagarsamiyin Kudhirai would be critically appreciated and that Appukkuty, the lead actor in the film, would also come in for appreciation for his performance in the film. More than six months after the Maestro made the above prediction, it has become a reality now. “The welcome Appukutty got when he appeared on-screen was mind-blowing; It was almost a reception meant for the likes of Rajinikanth. However, Appukkutty can’t become Rajini and vice-versa. I’m sure Apukkutty would be going places in Kolllywood,” was the Maestro’s prediction which has become a reality today. The background score when Appukutty appears is truly incredible. Which Music Director in India uses a world renowned symphony orchestra troupe to play a background score? There should have been a honorouble mention by the Jury.

app_engine
10th March 2012, 02:32 AM
rajsekar,
Though IR has not got the recognition he truly deserves, we can be pleased that he got at least some 'minimum' recognition from the powers (e.g. padma bhushan). OTOH, consider what happened to a talent like MSV.

While I don't recognize MSV at par with IR in my books, he is my "all-time-#2-in-IFM", after rAsA!

Neither the center nor the state had given him any worthwhile recognition - which is highly deplorable :-(

It's a wicked, unjust system - without any doubt!

Gregorysab
10th March 2012, 11:14 AM
Guys, this is a boring topic, now that National Awards are done with and we know that Raaja didnt get it. So whats the point of "this album deserved better" kind of talk. C'mon guys, bring some good news.. like discuss about Neethane Enthan Ponvasantham's music. any release date?

Sureshs65
10th March 2012, 11:45 AM
The initial part of this video explains all feeling about the National Award:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8caz7DMPTg&feature=related&t=3m26s

teja
10th March 2012, 11:58 AM
National Award Jury member Satish Kasetty gives out a bizarre & lame reason for Sri Rama Rajyam losing out in Music category. According to him, SRR's music was in the shortlist in the Best Music/Background score category, but the preview theater used by the Jury team can not play DTS, it can just play Mono sound. As a result, jury couldn't feel the impact of SRR's music! Phew!

rajsekar
10th March 2012, 10:36 PM
teja - Excellent follow-up. I read Satyanarayana a.k.a Satish Kasetty (Director of Best Film on Social Issues "Hope" in 2007) statement which reads as follows -
As many as 18 Telugu films, including Sri Rama Rajyam and Rajanna which are widely considered as two of the best films of 2011, were in contention in various awards. Did the awards committee snub Telugu films this year? Satish Kasetty, one of the jury members, says emphatically, “The committee did not snub our films. Fact is we don’t make quality films and even the best of our films don’t match the standards set by other award winnings films.” Elucidating further, he adds, “The jury was looking for films which had good content and how well it was dealt with. We weren’t even looking for any message oriented films. Honestly, Telugu filmmakers are caught up in their own world. We are content with the response from our audience and the box-office performance.”

Where did you read about the Preview Theatre news? I would appreciate if you can post the link here. I am going to file a formal protest letter to Information & Broadcasting (I&B) Ministry and Director of Film Festivals (DFF). Their email addressess are publicly available. Why not file a protest email with President of India? Anyone can write to the President on the website. We live in a democratic country and all citizens have the right to express their concerns to the authorities. Many of you may say that this is not a cause worth writing, but let's bring it to the attention of Jury members. If I&B Ministry and DFF get enough protest emails, who knows, they may want to review the selections once again? Let's do our share of expressing our concerns. Do it on Facebook and Forums. The artists who worked so hard on Sri Rama Rajyam deserve their due recognition.

SoftSword
10th March 2012, 11:39 PM
:shock: :lol:

teja
11th March 2012, 02:17 AM
@rajsekar
Here's the link where he mentions the issue Mono and DTS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oSHRPrHAvw#t=3m30s

I don't get it. How can they disqualify a movie, if their preview theater is not fully equipped to play latest sound. IR went all the way to Hungary to record/mix the sound.. and this is what he gets. What a pity!

Lodging a protest is fine. But I doubt if they would review the selections once again. (Unless SRR's producer takes some drastic measures)

BTW, that director Satish Kasetty sounds so arrogant in that interview. It feels like his presence did more harm to Sri Rama Rajyam.

rajsekar
11th March 2012, 04:15 AM
Teja - Thanks for the link. Usually International Film Festivals and National Film Awards screening use Siri Fort Auditorium complex which has four theatres. The smallest one seats around 65 people. I am not sure about the sound quality of these auditoriums. Common sense tells me that films that are judged under technical categories - Songs, Background Score, Editing, Audiography, should be screened in a state-of-the art sound facility theatre. In fact SRR producer Yalamanchili is furious. Read the statement from "gulte.com".

A film-circuit that produces highest number of films in this Indian country is blatantly ignored at the National Film Awards. While critics are quoting this as a shame upon Telugu politicians in power, the government has not opened its mouth yet. The Government of India should and must award a Telugu film under 'Best Regional Film in Telugu' category according to the 'Schedule VIII of the Constitution'. However, like last year, the government ignored picking up a best film from Telugu circuit for 2011 too. The whole of Tollywood expected an appreciation at National Awards for Bapu's cinematic wonder 'Sriramarajyam'. More than feeling disappointed, Tollywood is taking this as an insult. 'Are our MPs and MLAs sleeping? Are we not making entire Indian film industry proud with our movies?' questioned Yalamanchili Saibaba, the producer of Sriramarajyam. He stated that this is purely an insult and we all should feel pity for our position and asked state ministers at the Centre to check with the Central Government about this dejection. Off course, our politicians are too busy to raise their voice against this oppression as they just want poll-results but not the 'pride' of Telugus. Has Lord Sriram become such a touchy subject in India?

Tamil films too had the same fate for several years. Notable omissions were - MS Viswanathan for "Thillana Mohanambal" and "Apoorva Ragangal". "Sindhu Bhairavi" was the second Tamil film to win Best Music Award in 1986 (Raaja's second) after KV Mahadevan won for "Kandhan Karunai" in 1968. Anyway, I am doing whatever is possible to highlight this glaring omission in 2012 - emails have started flying out. Let's wait and watch.

krish244
11th March 2012, 08:45 AM
An article about "National awards" in THE HINDU:

http://www.thehindu.com/arts/cinema/article2981150.ece

thanks,

Krishnan

app_engine
11th March 2012, 09:12 AM
rajsekar,

Small nitpick - thiilAnA mOhanAmbAL had KVM's music & not MSV :-)

rajsekar
11th March 2012, 10:25 AM
app_engine-Thanks for catching the mistake; realized after posting the response. Krishnan - thanks for the link; had read the review. Whatever be the limitations that these jury members quote, there is no excuse to omit/ snub the hard work done by thousands of folks who toil in the film industry. As most of us know, the entire award selection process is flawed. The big mystery with the award announcements are the missing names of nominated films and runners up. All media awards worldwide (Oscar, BAFTA, Cannes, Grammy, Golden Globe, CMA. Filmfare, etc) announce the nominated films, except for our Indian system. We all can wish that year 2013 will be different - "Dhoni" not out!!!

Gregorysab
11th March 2012, 11:25 AM
@rajsekar
Here's the link where he mentions the issue Mono and DTS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oSHRPrHAvw#t=3m30s

I don't get it. How can they disqualify a movie, if their preview theater is not fully equipped to play latest sound. IR went all the way to Hungary to record/mix the sound.. and this is what he gets. What a pity!

Lodging a protest is fine. But I doubt if they would review the selections once again. (Unless SRR's producer takes some drastic measures)

BTW, that director Satish Kasetty sounds so arrogant in that interview. It feels like his presence did more harm to Sri Rama Rajyam.

Pathetic state of affairs. It only proves that the govt. of India is not qualified to give an award in the first place, because they do not have the infrastructure. Not just Rama Rajyam, but any film as such.

And I dont know if Satish Kasetty is arrogant or not - cannot comment because i did not see the above interview. But it is the Same Satish Kasetty who is an ardent admirer of Raaja's music. He made a film called Hope, which had raaja's background score.

rajsekar
11th March 2012, 10:33 PM
Well, the ice has started to crack. Just today afternoon (IST), the first jury member Satish Kasetty published a long explanation on the Telugu Awards controversy on his website. He removed my comments on his blog post (copied below) and came up with this explanation. After reading his blog, he still doesn't explain why SRR lost awards in every category. How did they screen the Bengali movie "Laptop" in a DTS theatre and award Best Background score? I am hoping that TDP and BJP members raise this issue in Parliament next week. We live in a 21st Century where people's concerns and opinions are delivered to the powers in place very quickly. The electronic media is great.

Read Satish's blog post on the controversy - http://satishkasetty.com/

My blog post to Satish which was removed by him:
Dear Satish Garu - Read your observation in postnoon website about Sri Rama Rajyam being given cold treatment by the 59th National Film Award jury members. Lot of Telugu and Tamil fans were expecting the movie to walk away with few awards in the technical category like - Best Makeup, Best Costume, Best Background Music Score and Best Music Direction (Songs). It is indeed disappointing to see that SRR wasn't even mentioned in Honorable category. I am sending a formal protest letter/ email to I&B Minister, Ambika Soni about this glaring omission. I would appreciate if you can request MAA members to bring this omission to the notice of media. SRR movie should get the due recognition that it deserves. All the artists who worked on this movie deserve this recognition from Govt. of India.

rajsekar
11th March 2012, 10:57 PM
Kamal Aakarsh - Thanks a lot for your comments in Satish's blog post. I just posted my response asking some blunt questions to Satish and let's see if he will publish it. Satish moderates all the responses. If he doesn't publish it, I will copy it here. Please continue to highlight this issue to elected officials. All elected public official's email/ website from President of India to local MLA is publicly available. If they start getting loads of emails, then the ice is certainly going to melt.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
11th March 2012, 11:19 PM
giving lame excuses itself is a proof that SRR is a NA material. Thats enuf. This time NA wasn't lucky to land on the hands of India's greatest composer.

V_S
11th March 2012, 11:20 PM
rajsekar,
Whatever may be the outcome, I really appreciate your enthusiasm and interest taken in this subject. :clap: Keep it going! :thumbsup:

teja
12th March 2012, 05:38 AM
@Rajsekhar,

Thanks for the link to Satish's blog. His blog post once again confirms that his presence worked against Telugu films. He's probably so overwhelmed by just being a part of the jury that he didn't do a bit to represent Telugu industry. Sample this - he says " The answer is, an actor whose voice is dubbed by other person is not eligible for an Award." (Regarding Nayantara). How would he explain National Award to Vijayasanthi for Karthvyam (Vijayanthi IPS) then? (Saritha dubbed her voice). There were more such instances after that. Even if the rule were true, there were many exceptions made to that rule in the past. Being TFI's representative, Satish should put the argument on the table for the jury and open it for discussion. But no, this man readily agree's to the rule book and chooses to not take up the cause.

I've posed this question to him in his blog. Let's see if he replies.

He says "One film had very bad Audio quality; the entire first half could not be heard.".

Apparently, this is the DTS/Mono sound issue with Sri Rama Rajyam that TV9 has exposed. Look at how conveniently he pushes the blame on to the producer! (and doesn't go into DTS/Mono details in his blog post, for the fear of backlash). As a jury member from TFI, he could have insisted on watching the film in a better equipped theater.

And finally, he says "Next, the technical awards, to this my answer is, compare with the films which got awards in these categories and debate, instead of saying we should have got one."

That sums up his opinion. With detractor like Satish representing TFI in the jury, it's not a surprise that Sri Rama Rajyam lost out to Ranjana Ami Ar Ashbona & Laptop.

rajsekar
12th March 2012, 07:26 AM
V_S - Thanks for your support. Anything for our Maestro - the NA Jury has obviously given the award to a less deserving film. I'm knocking on many doors and hoping to see that some will open. On technical grounds, I&B Ministry and DFF should review the decision for Best Background Score award.
Everyone should listen to songs from "Ranjana" and background score of "Laptop". Just compare the difference.

Thanks to Teja, the nail in the coffin for this appeal is Satish's interview in TV. As a jury member from AP and a Director who has worked with Maestro, he should have protested with other members. In the past, many jury members have walked out or openly protested against I&B Ministry's dictats and Award committe chairman's decisions. As expected my last response to Satish's blog was deleted by him - my comment is copied here:

Satish Garu – Excellent. Thank you very much for being so open about this awards issue. Your blog still does not explain why SRR did not get even a single award, not to talk about an honorary mention. Your TV interview talks about audio problems in Preview theatre – no one knows what happened. How did the Jury screen the Bengali movie “Laptop” and come up with a decision to award Best Background Score. Everyone in AP and Tamil Nadu who saw SRR, are unanimous in their decision that Maestro Ilayaraaja’s composition was world class. SRR should have at least received one technical award in Music score. Please continue to highlight this issue to your film fraternity colleagues and friends.
Your TV interview link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oSHRPrHAvw#t=3m30s

Plum
12th March 2012, 08:48 AM
Guys, nothings going to change. The govt will not accept its fault. What will happen is ppl will turn it into "undeserving guelts push for undeserving movie - has anyone cried so much before" and " intolerant ir fans" etc. Let it be a lost award. Lots of people get awards. It is no big deal. Like app quoted, msv only ever got alwa, never an award. This satish - sad sad feller. It looks like when raja's best works come up, jury fellers who have worked with him before get strange afflictions. Balu mahen got oh so moral about not favouring a friend. - dude, you don't have to favour, just apply judgement and merit. But he deliberately didn't give because he wqantted to look impartial. Which is stupid. It should always be about merit. Now this kasetty and his personal grudge against TeFIm perhaps because of lack of opps in TeFI. How was his movie Hope? Any chance maestro passed some adverse comment on it during rerecording? Anf our man is taking revenge?

Gregorysab
12th March 2012, 11:06 AM
How was his movie Hope? Any chance maestro passed some adverse comment on it during rerecording? Anf our man is taking revenge?

No, in fact, Maestro liked Hope and even presented Satish with a signed copy of its score sheet - which Satish treasures a lot (according to one old post by him, which i remember reading some time ago).

My question to Satish, on facebook:

"Understandable.. But sir, a composer brings in philharmonic orchestra to compose mindboggling score that exceeds the expectations from a mythological film.. And if the jury members feel that the score was not competent, just because the theatre didnt have DTS system, whose fault is it? Was the score not good because of a technical glitch at govt.'s end? I am not blaming but trying to understand whose fault is it for ignoring a phenomenal soundtrack!"

His answer:

"We did complain, i protested. They said, they are going for digital projection from next year. All the films were judged like that. their answer was sorry sir we don't have a DTS projection provision, all the movies are watched on mono.."

Gregorysab
12th March 2012, 11:15 AM
Though I understand that SRR was given an unfair treatment, I also feel that these guys - Jury members - are dealing with govt. and administration. And they can go only to a certain extent in dealing with them. If we common public have countless horrid stories to tell about out experiences with any government office/department, be it municipal office or passport office or transport or just any division, do you think the demands of the jury will be considered and addressed. We dont know what all happens there. Satish says he protested. Now, what more he could have done? protested more? then he will be dumped and someone else will be taken and that wouldnt change anything anyway. Also, there are 5 members in the regional jury. Satish is one of the 5. what about the other 4 members?? who are they? and what were their opinions? did they protest or not?
I dont mean to sound defensive, but i am just reminding that these jury guys are dealing with govt./administration, which is very (in)famous for the way of functioning. And more importantly, nothing can change now!

If you ask me personally, this NA does not make any difference at all. Even if Raaja had won it, it wouldnt have made any difference!

Again, my thoughts above are mere guesswork.

teja
12th March 2012, 12:03 PM
"We did complain, i protested. They said, they are going for digital projection from next year. All the films were judged like that. their answer was sorry sir we don't have a DTS projection provision, all the movies are watched on mono.."

Really pathetic state of affairs. Atleast Satish protested. (good to hear that). One more NA wouldn't make much of a difference to IR or his fans. The entire SRR music department has put up a brilliant effort, left no stone unturned and delivered a fabulous output. (Seems IR went to Hungary a few days after his wife passed away, to complete the final mixing of SRR. That's how dedicated he was to SRR, and it shows in the film). NA would have given this team the kind of recognition they truly deserve, at national level. Doesn't matter if SRR sweeps all state awards, filmfares etc... NA is NA. Despite glowing reviews and special screening at Indian Panorama, this film didn't break even, financially. And now, it didn't score at NAs either. Sad to see their efforts go down the drain. That probably sums up why some of us here are totally unhappy with NAs.

Gregorysab
12th March 2012, 12:36 PM
teja,

Rama Rajyam was a financial success, as far as I know. They even had a success meet for the film. I have seen the movie posters for many days after the film's release and the movie-talk floated in public for many days after the release. I think this movie's success did trigger the resurgence of mythology/god based films now. K.Raghavendra rao launched Shiridi Sai Baba film with Nagarjuna and a film on Sathya Sai Baba is also being made (with raaja's music). Rama Rajyam achieved its end-purpose - of impressing the audience. When i went to UK last december, a telugu family I met there were talking about the film and its music. An ardent raaja fan in that family had no clue about Sneha veedu or Gaayam-2 but he spoke a lot of Rama Rajyam's music. I think we are undermining the film's success. it did impress many.

I agree that Raaja's score was stupendous. But when I say that the NA doesn't matter - i mean that a NA does not really translate into great film assignments for Raaja. if Bapu went to Raaja for Rama Rajyam, it was NOT because Raaja won NA for Pazhassi Raja's BGM. It was because of Bapu's belief that only Raaja can deliver music that has traces of old school melody within the confines of new-audience taste. that he could get great BGM with budapest team is a bonus for the film that Bapu could get, when the film was made. it was not planned originally. and How many really good films came to Raaja, based upon the fact that he got NA recently? if producers choose him, it is because of their liking for his music or because of the suitability of his music to their film. None of them are NA-driven choices at all.

Instead, i'd be happy if he wins filmfare award. Not that FF is greater than NA. Absolutely not. The process will be equally idiotic there too may be. But the end result will be slightly better. A FF award means, one mandatory interview in FF magazine, some interviews, articles - basically media coverage will improve. And more importantly, it will put raaja (and his music) in commercial limelight. it 'might' lead to some good projects with interesting film-makers. in short, it can lead to few more "Neethane Enthan Ponvasantham" kind of assignments - which is good for raaja at 68. though we know that he is still the best, a FF award will make it official that he is still a commercial force to reckon with... and some producers will sit up and take notice for sure. All this - will not happen if IR wins a NA.

Plum
12th March 2012, 02:27 PM
Aakarsh - excellent points. Forget the commercial points, the 3 national awrds he already has don't mean much to me - you know why? Because he didn't win it for the right reasons. He won because the trend then was for the generally musically agnostic jury to award any significant film based on classical music - the same trend that conferred undeserved honours upon Keerabani for Annamayya over Raja's magnum-opus Guru. So, I really don't value those awards. On the contrary, when Rahman got appreciated it was for the right reasons - I mean we could argue for Thevar Magan over Roja but when the jury awarded Roja, it stated clearly that it was recognised for its " new sound and new paradigm". Which is exactly Rahman's mission. So he not only succeeded in his mission but also got nuanced appreciation recognising his mission. In that sense, Rahman is truly blessed in a way Raja isn't. But that's the way these things go - what Raja has is fans like us who deeply understand these dichotomies and quirks of the universe and WE are the awards to him - recognisig his musical philosophy and its application in his works and deeply understanding the significance and non-significance of external recognition.

Plum
12th March 2012, 02:33 PM
I mean we really don't have NAs to show for his path-breaking fusion works nor for the paradigm-changing work in BGM in the 80s. All we have are 3 awards for a genre of music which appeal to the cultural elite who controlled the award decisions then. That is not much of a win for me. I mean, if Raja didn't happen, would fans of his successor MDs be even talking about BGM? I am sure his successors are cursing him for bringing this aspect to limelight and making it a necessary aspect for MD. It wasn't so before - and frankly,I don't see the same passion for BGM in his successors. There are good scores but I think a lot of them hit a broad note of feeling hoping that is enough. GVP is the most obvious example - although it is wrong to pick on a 20 year old who hasn't seen much life to feel nuanced emotions.

V_S
12th March 2012, 09:42 PM
Superb points aakarsh and Plum. :clap:

what Raja has is fans like us who deeply understand these dichotomies and quirks of the universe and WE are the awards to him - recognisig his musical philosophy and its application in his works and deeply understanding the significance and non-significance of external recognition.

I mean, if Raja didn't happen, would fans of his successor MDs be even talking about BGM?

This! :thumbsup:

app_engine
12th March 2012, 09:46 PM
I mean, if Raja didn't happen, would fans of his successor MDs be even talking about BGM?

So much so that even the bureaucratic NA has to have a category of pinnaNi isai now :-)

Gregorysab
12th March 2012, 10:24 PM
Aakarsh - excellent points. Forget the commercial points, the 3 national awrds he already has don't mean much to me - you know why? Because he didn't win it for the right reasons. He won because the trend then was for the generally musically agnostic jury to award any significant film based on classical music - the same trend that conferred undeserved honours upon Keerabani for Annamayya over Raja's magnum-opus Guru. So, I really don't value those awards. On the contrary, when Rahman got appreciated it was for the right reasons - I mean we could argue for Thevar Magan over Roja but when the jury awarded Roja, it stated clearly that it was recognised for its " new sound and new paradigm". Which is exactly Rahman's mission. So he not only succeeded in his mission but also got nuanced appreciation recognising his mission. In that sense, Rahman is truly blessed in a way Raja isn't. But that's the way these things go - what Raja has is fans like us who deeply understand these dichotomies and quirks of the universe and WE are the awards to him - recognisig his musical philosophy and its application in his works and deeply understanding the significance and non-significance of external recognition.

Plum,

Interesting take. I didnt dwell on NA awards that deep to really feel good or bad about raaja winning them. But yes, the day Anu Malik won NA, i gave up on NAs. and i didnt know Keeravani also won NA.. For Annamayya that too!! Mediocrity celebrated! But i must say that I find it amusing (and slight pride) that out of 3 NAs that Raaja won, 2 were for Telugu films. The surprise for me was that his Swarna Kamalam did not win NA (going by the trend you have pointed out).

Anyway, we never understand how NAs are selected. To be honest, I never understood how Bhavatharini was given NA (Mayil Pola). If anything, I would have given the NA for Raaja for his Bharathi score, but i didnt find the rendition of Bhava great enough. whatever! i think we are wasting time discussing on NAs here.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
12th March 2012, 11:18 PM
"devathai iLam devi" has a kannada version right? what is the song name? is there a list where we can search other language equivalents of IR's tamil tunes?

SoftSword
12th March 2012, 11:32 PM
"devathai iLam devi" has a kannada version right? what is the song name? is there a list where we can search other language equivalents of IR's tamil tunes?

keladi nimageega....
illi nOdi guru....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFo6cmU8W2c&feature=related

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
13th March 2012, 12:28 AM
thanks SS!