PDA

View Full Version : Where to shop for music in Chennai/Madras?

Oldposts
23rd January 2005, 03:28 PM
Topic started by Ravi Shankar (rshankar@iupui.edu) (@ icvbm157.icvbm.iupui.edu) on Fri Dec 3 09:55:22 EST 2004.

Hi,
I will be going to India next week, and am planning to shop in Chennai. I was wondering if some of the experienced shoppers here can help me with suggestions on the best place(s) to find some of the things I am looking for:
1. The songs of Koteeswara Iyer sung by S. Rajam
2. The two biographies of MS published in the last couple of years (The one by Mr. George, and the more recent 'Ode to Kunjamma' by Lakshmi Viswanathan)
3. DVDs or VCDs of old Tamizh movies
4. DVDs or VCDs of Bharatanatyam
5. Books on music and dance.
THANKS for sharing your expertise.

Oldposts
All music sabhas holding concerts month round do have stalls selling all these products. btw all these sabhas r in and around mylapore only. you may get anything you need. best of luck.

Oldposts
Thank you.
Ravi Shankar

Oldposts
There is a branch of Music World in Spencer Plaza shopping centre.

More specifically classical, there is a shop near Kapiliswarar temple, a few doors away from Rasi Handicrafts towards the temple. The music is upstairs.

One I haven't visited is Essen Musicals at 158
Eldams Road.

The musical instrument shops eg Saptaswara in Royapettah High road will have some as well.

For books try the Karnatic Music Book Centre at
14 Sripuram First Street --- it's just off Royapettah High Road.

Have a Great Trip :-)

Oldposts
There is a Giri Traders near Kapalishvarar temple in Mylapore which has the largest stock of Bharatanatyam music on cassettes and CDs.

Oldposts
Giri; that might well be one I meant.

Oldposts
from Kulkarni
Books on MS-they are available at Essen Musicals -Eldams road.
DVDs of Films and bharatanatyam
Also at Essen Musicals.
Books on music and dance-the best place is Karnatic Book centre -royapettah, near sitaraman and Bros -Book Store
S rajams Koteeswara Iyers songs-not sure if available in the market now.However I can spare a mp3 cd with all the songs , if u can call me up at 044-52054819.
ALSO DO NOT MISS THE MUSIC CARNIVAL SALE AT SOUNDVISION-SANKARA HALL , NEAR NARADA GANA SABHA, COMMENCING 16TH DEC.

Oldposts
THANKS TO ALL OF YOU!

Oldposts
There is one right next to the Narada Gana Sabha. A little hall that has a very good collection of stuff.

Oldposts
Where can I get Thyagaraja Krithis(Telugu) books in chennai ?
Does Music Academy publish books in Telugu?

Oldposts
Landmark in Nungambakkam high road has a very large collection of carnatic music cassettes & CDs.

Also, giri traders in front of the Kapaleeswarar temple in Mylapore, Saraswati stores adjacent to the sankara hall in TTK road & Essen musicals in eldams road, alwarpet have a good collections.

Oldposts
HI friends if you wanna
Largest Collection of Free Ringtones Latest
First Time In India Free Yahoo Photo Chat...
Hindi Songs Latest Commercials English Songs
Free Polyphonic Tones
Latest Hindi Songs
Latest English Songs
latest Remix and Pop Songs
Latest Video Songs
Free SMS
Just Visit http://www.masti4india.com

Oldposts
Hey Ravi :
Check this out for Bharatnatyam VCDs/DVDs.

http://kalakendra.com/shopping/index.php/cPath/22?osCsid=dd4984726ebb392102bc360ed3853233 (http://kalakendra.com/shopping/index.php/cPath/22?osCsid=dd4984726ebb392102bc360ed3853233
)

Hope this helps. Have a safe trip.
<a name="last"></a>

rshankar
3rd February 2005, 09:40 PM
Hi,
I had a great trip to Madras.
I wanted to thank everyone of you who helped me out with my original question, and a VERY SPECIAL THANKS to Mr. Kulkarni. The recording was simply superb!
I just wanted to take a couple of minutes and share my expereince shopping in Madras/Chennai with those of us who visit from overseas:
I found the area around the Kapaleshwarar/Karpagambal temple tank simply superb (I think I have come full circle on that: as a child, visiting my grandparents in Luz, I used to spend innumerable days and even evenings at the temple, and this time, I spent innumerable hours and $$$ around the temple!). I found a plethora of shops in a very small area, and so it made my trip very efficient: Giri Traders (for music); Shanti Taylors (opposite Giri, a wonderful place for all sorts of dance needs, and bharatanatyam DVDs and VCDs); a Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan Store (next to Shanti Taylors: an excellent book store, with a manager who is very enterprising); Rasi (for curios); Sri Vidya Stores (for all pooja samagri, including manjal and kumkum); and last but not least, THE AMBIKA store!
Hope this helps some future traveler!

Lakshman
3rd February 2005, 10:27 PM
Where were your grandparents? Mine used to live on Luz Church Road # 48.

rshankar
4th February 2005, 10:42 PM
Mine lived in Veeraperumal Koil Street. I do not remember the number though!
Ravi