jaiganes
29th July 2010, 06:52 PM
79 is the year. period

Plum
29th July 2010, 07:21 PM
I want to vote for 2010s :wink:

2000s-ku onne onnu thana

BTW need to check IR albums yearwise.

yeah, the best year could be quite a competition. It needs a little research, though, which I dont like to do.

raajarasigan
29th July 2010, 07:34 PM
Voted for Exhilirating Eighties - Mid 80's Auto-Pilot Smooth orhcestration... it is quite tough to select between 80's options...

app_engine
29th July 2010, 07:45 PM
பேரைச்சொல்லவா, அது ஞாயமாகுமா?
(எஸ் பி பி / ஜானகி, குரு, கமல்/ஸ்ரீதேவி, ஐ வி சசி)

1980 gem this morning, partly during ride and partly in the parking lot:-)

Nicely recorded with strong bass score and the interludes are stunning (one should listen to the second interlude with no noises around at high volume - flying guaranteed)!

Carefree singing by the best duet pair of TFM (sample - the pa-pa-paa-paa-paea of SJ prior to the third interlude).

Agreed, the general perception in TN of IV Sasi is an x-filmer. However, he had rare ears for music - pagalil oru iravu & guru - these two are enough to make anyone a sugar patient!

jaiganes
29th July 2010, 10:23 PM
Miga sameebamaaga...
Oh butterfly butterfly..
My daughter has taken to this song rather well.
some evenings are spent simply browsing for various ppl on you tube playing this song out.

Then...
Om Sivoham and Maa Gangaa. sheer bliss..

However the most interesting music from Naan Kadavul is the Back ground bit (the popular one in you tube as the Naan Kadavul IR rerecording bit) that comes when Rudran "takes appropriate care" of Nair.

It starts as an intriguing cello set piece and then the moment the fight drags on to temple premises, Raja switches off the orchestra and lets the same tune/melody play out as rhythms on mridhangams and the kind of special tablas and dolaks that MGR plays in mannaadhi mannan (an array of them). It is AMAZING!! how did that thought come out and where did it come from? I was like Whoa - thats a googly in musical terms...
The tribal eerie flute that maestro conjures up for the Nair character is rather startling and nervy - particularly when his henchmen start walking up the hill to pick up uruppadis. It is rather pathetic on the part of many critics (including baradwaj rangan) to say that Naan Kadavul BGM was all too bombastic and the usual leitmotiff style was missing.
Another BGM piece that caught my eye (rather ears) was the funny banter when Nair elaborates his scheme of wholesale transfer and exchange of uruppadis to thaandavan. it might have well been a music accompanying a friendly banter of some college kids. And then same situation, different context, nair is now seeking amsavalli, the music is almost non-existent, just eerie drum rolls for the exchange of looks between dimple and murugan...
Strange are the ways Maestro works up his musical magic..

venkkiram
30th July 2010, 08:26 AM
நன்றி ஜெய். 1979 பாடல்களை நினைவு கூர்ந்ததற்கு. கதம்பமாக கலந்து கிடக்கும் ராஜாவின் பாடல்களை இனி ஆண்டு வாரியாக பிரித்துக் கேட்கும் ஆசையை தூண்டி விட்டிருக்கிறீர்கள். இதுவும் அவரின் அளப்பரிய ஆற்றலை எண்ணி மலைக்க உதவும்..

1979 -ல் வெளிவந்த ராஜாவின் இசைப்பாடல்களில் எத்தனைப் பாடல்கள் என்னிடம் உள்ளது எனக் கணக்கெடுத்து பார்த்தால்.. (தினமும் குறைந்த பட்சம் ஒரு முறையாவது பேருந்து பயணத்தில் கேட்டு பரவசமடையும் பாடல்கள் நீல நிறத்தில் )
-------
ஏதோ நினைவுகள் கனவுகள்
நதியோரம் நாணல் ஒன்று நாணம் கொண்டு
கீதா சங்கீதா
சின்ன புறா ஒன்று
என் கல்யாண வைபோகம் உன்னோடுதான்
குறிஞ்சி மலரில் வடிந்த ரசத்தை
நானே நானோ யாரொதானோ
கண்மணியே காதல் என்பது
அழகிய கண்ணே
மயிலே மயிலே உன் தோகை
மலர்களில் ஆடும் இளமை
பூப்போலே உன் புன்னகையில்
வாட வாட்டுது
ஆகாய கங்கை
ஒரு தங்க ரதத்தில்
சிந்து நதிக்கரை ஓரம் அந்தி நேரம்
செவ்வானமே பொன்மேகமே
ஆயிரம் மலர்களே
இரு பறவைகள் மலை முழுவதும்
முதன் முதலாக காதல்
எங்கெங்கோ செல்லும்
தேவதை ஒரு தேவதை
யாரோ நீயும் நானும் யாரோ
இதயம் போகுதே
தந்தன தம்தன தாளம் வரும்
வான் மேகங்களே
வா பொன்மயிலே
மனதில் என்ன நினைவுகளோ
ஓரம்போ ஓரம்போ
சாமக்கோழி கூவையிலே
சோலைக் குயிலே காலைக் கதிரே
மஞ்சள் நிலாவுக்கு இன்று ஒரே சுகம்
என் உள்ளில் எங்கோ ஏங்கும் கீதம்
மாமன் ஒரு நாள்
வெத்தல வெத்தல
தென்னமரத்தில தென்றலடிக்குது
-------

திரைப்பாடல் இணையத்தளத்தில் 1979க்கான பாடல்களை கேட்கும்போது, ஒரு பொக்கிஷமும் கிடைக்கப் பெற்றது.. "யார் மாமனோ" என்ற வெற்றிக்கு ஒருவன் திரைப்பட பாடல்.. தாளக்கட்டில் ஒரு அற்புதமான கலவை முயற்சி. 2.46 நிமிடங்களே பதிவாகியிருக்கிறது இத்தளத்தில். முழுப்பாடலையும் கேட்க ஆவல்.

நல்லப் பாடல்கள் ஏதேனும் இங்கு விடப்பட்டிருந்தால் தெரிவிக்கவும்.

raajarasigan
30th July 2010, 03:39 PM
Engirundho ilankuyilin - Brahmma - SPB version

if you just listen the second interlude, even without seeing the picturization of the song, you could identify that there was some wrong incident happening... such is IR's interludes... speaks a lot with the movie context..

Sureshs65
30th July 2010, 06:45 PM
For the benefit of non Tamil speakers hubbers, the title means 'What Illayaraja song have you been listening to - Part 3'

After a tweet from equanimus, listened to 'adida melatha' from 'Kannukul Nilavu'. Well sung by SPB. An energetic song. Nice songs in this movie.

Shank
30th July 2010, 10:27 PM
Kannukul Nilavu is an awesome album..."Oru Naal Oru Kanavu" remains one of my fav songs. Also, the BGM for this movie was superb. I have to search and see if I can find some clips. Back when I watched the movie, I recall a dialogue scene with Vijay and Shalini standing on a mosaic pathway. Though I've forgotten the particulars of that scene, the BGM still gives me gooseflesh. BTW, the movie itself was very ordinary.

Sureshs65
30th July 2010, 11:21 PM
Shank,

Very true. I discovered the songs a bit late. The 'roja poonthotm' was played regularly on TV so I had heard that earlier. The others I heard later and yes, 'oru naal oru kanavu' is a lovely song.

Now listening to the Telugu version of 'varadhu vandha nayakan' ('vasanthamade jeevitham'). The Telugu version gains so much coz SPB is the male singer here instead of Arunmozhi. What a tune!!!

baroque
30th July 2010, 11:34 PM
ecstatic guitar strumming Ilayaraaja's disco flair defines dance songs.
http://www.raaga.com/player4/?id=30987&mode=100&rand=0.9264466706533176
Greatest voice of Bala suited with style.
another rhythm driven yenniyallo.....Shiva.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpjpSv-C12o
Ilayaraja fuels the bgm with propulsive energy...GREAT WORKOUT SONGS!
:redjump: :bluejump: :redjump: :bluejump: :redjump: :bluejump:
Vinatha.

app_engine
31st July 2010, 08:34 AM
தோகை இளமயில் ஆடி வருகுது வானில் மழை வருமோ
கோதை இவள் விழி நூறு கவிதைகள் நாளும் எழுதிடுமோ
தேன் சிந்தும் நேரம், நான் பாடும் ராகம்
காற்றோடு கல்யாணம் செய்கின்றதோ

(பயணங்கள் முடிவதில்லை, எஸ் பி பி, மோகன், பூர்ணிமா, ஆர் சுந்தர்ராஜன், வைரமுத்து)

ஒரு வார்த்தையில் சொன்னால், அற்புதம்!

மறுபடி, மறுபடி கேட்டுக்கொண்டிருக்கிறேன், கொஞ்ச நாட்களுக்குப்பின்.

விலாவாரியாக எழுத வேண்டும் - நேரம் கிடைக்கும் போது...ராசாவின் மிகச்சிறந்த பத்தில் சுளுவாக வரக்கூடிய பாடல்!

venkkiram
31st July 2010, 09:21 AM
பள்ளி செல்லும் காலங்களில் தாள ஓசைகளின் மீது அளவு கடந்த பிரியம் இருக்கும். டப்பாங்குத்து பாடல்களில் அப்படியொரு ஈடுபாடு. அந்த வரிசையில் மண் வாசனை படத்தில் வரும் "அடி மூக்க அரை மூக்கமா (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00351&lang=en)" ..

ராஜாவின் டப்பாங்குத்து பாடல்களில் விஷேஷம் என்னவென்றால், பாட்டின் ஆரம்ப நொடி முதல் கடைசி வரை ஓய்வில்லாமல் தொடர்ந்து பயணிக்கும் ஆற்றல். மூச்சு விடக் கூட இடம் இருக்காத வகையில் பல்வேறு திசைகளிலும் சென்று கொண்டே யிருக்கும். இவ்வளவு தூரம் ஆடிக் களைத்துவிட்டோமே, கொஞ்சம் இளைப்பாறுவோம் என்ற பேச்சிற்கே இடம் கொடுக்காத இசை ராட்சசன் ராஜா.

அடி மூக்கி அரை மூக்கம்மா
ஏ நாக்கு நீண்ட பொன்னம்மா
பொல்லாப்பு வேணாமம்மா
நான் பாடி வரேன் பாட்டெம்மா
என் பாட்டி பேரு பட்டம்மா
விட்டேன்னா தாங்காதம்மா

முதல் இடை இசையின் அமைப்பிற்கே எத்தனை முறையேனும் ராஜாவை பாராட்டலாம். க்ளாரினெட்டும், உருமி மேளமும் கலந்து செல்லும் பாதையை லாவகமாக புல்லாங்குழலும், தபேலாவும் அபகரிக்கும் அழகோ அழகு!

சரணம் ராஜாவின் கற்பனையில் பல அடுக்குகளில் விளையாடும்.
ஆணும் பெண்ணும் சரணத்தின் சந்தத்திலேயே ஒருத்தரை ஒருத்தர் பரிகாசம் செய்துகொள்ளுவர். ம.வாசுதேவனுக்கு ஏற்ற தளம், கோட்டை இது. சும்மா கலக்கியிருப்பார்.

அடி எட்டாங்கிளாஸ் பெஞ்சிய
வருஷமெல்லாம் தேய்க்கிற
பாஸு பண்ண மனசு இல்லையா?

எனத் தோழி நகைப்பதை எண்ணி,

அய்யய்யோ அய்யய்யோ
அடி என்னத்த நான் பாடுவேன்
என்னத்தாளம் போடுவேன்
எனக்கேதும் புரியலயே

எனத் தோழன் பாடுவது நம்மையெல்லாம் சிரிக்க வைக்கும்.

தொண்ட கட்டி போச்சுது! என சசிரேகா பாடும் விதமே அசத்தல். இயல்பா இதுபோன்ற முயற்சியெல்லாம் ஆண் பாடகரே தமிழ்த் திரையுலகில் எடுத்து செய்வதுண்டு. பெண் குரலில் ராஜா பரிட்சித்துப் பார்த்தது சிறப்பு!

மீண்டும் சிறார் பருவத்திற்கு கைப்பிடித்து அழைத்துச் சென்ற ராஜா, ம.வாசுதேவன், சசிரேகாவிற்கு நன்றிகள்.

rajasaranam
31st July 2010, 01:23 PM
Just listened to the over hyped album of the year and got pissed off, Later... Only after listening to songs from Aditya 369, Anjali, Nirnayam and few other futuristic songs of Raaja, I got relieved off the stress from earlier listening to the unimaginative songs of Oscar composer :twisted:

jaiganes
31st July 2010, 03:28 PM
தோகை இளமயில் ஆடி வருகுது வானில் மழை வருமோ
கோதை இவள் விழி நூறு கவிதைகள் நாளும் எழுதிடுமோ
தேன் சிந்தும் நேரம், நான் பாடும் ராகம்
காற்றோடு கல்யாணம் செய்கின்றதோ

(பயணங்கள் முடிவதில்லை, எஸ் பி பி, மோகன், பூர்ணிமா, ஆர் சுந்தர்ராஜன், வைரமுத்து)

ஒரு வார்த்தையில் சொன்னால், அற்புதம்!

மறுபடி, மறுபடி கேட்டுக்கொண்டிருக்கிறேன், கொஞ்ச நாட்களுக்குப்பின்.

விலாவாரியாக எழுத வேண்டும் - நேரம் கிடைக்கும் போது...ராசாவின் மிகச்சிறந்த பத்தில் சுளுவாக வரக்கூடிய பாடல்!
someone has to write about the guitar in this song. Though not as "eye popping" as the "ILaya nila", nevertheless has a special beauty to it...

venkkiram
31st July 2010, 06:06 PM
"அரிசி குத்தும் அக்கா மகளே (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00351〈=en)" பாடலை திரும்ப திரும்ப கேட்டு ரசித்துக்கொண்டிருக்கிறேன். ஆரம்ப இசைதான் இந்தப் பாடலுக்கே உச்சம் என நினைக்கிறேன். நாட்டுப்புற இசையையும், குரலடிக்கும் ஓசையினையும் ஒன்றாக நெய்யும் நேர்த்தியை கேட்பதே சுகானுபவம்...

அடி மூக்கி அரை மூக்கம்மா பாடலில் சசிரேகாவுடன் இணைந்த ம.வாசுதேவன் இதில் ஷைலஜாவுடன். நாயகனுக்கும் நாயகிக்கும் இடையே நடக்கும் கிண்டல், கேலியாக பாடலின் முதல் சரணம் நகைச்சுவை தோரணம். "கழனிப் பானையில" என்ற இடத்தை ரொம்ப அனுபவித்து பாடியிருப்பார் ம.வாசுதேவன்.

வக்கணையா சோத்தைப் பொங்கி ஆக்கி வச்சாக்கா
தினம் முக்குவியே மூக்கு முட்ட மிச்சம் வைக்காமே
மூக்காலே மூணு வேள திண்ணு கொழுத்தெ
உங்க அக்காவ தின்னு ஏப்பம் விட்ட உலக்க கொழுந்தே

காலங் காத்தால எதிரே வந்தே
கழனிப் பானையில எலியப் போலே
ஆளான நாளுத் தொட்டே அல்வா வித்து
அட அலைஞ்சாலே பொட்ட புள்ள
கொட்டம் தீர்க்க நானாச்சு

viraajan
31st July 2010, 07:50 PM
செம்பூவே பூவே உன் மேகம் நான் வந்தால் ஒரு வழியுண்டோ....

The words so beautifully blend with the tune especially the following lines. Awesome :bow:

அந்தி சூரியனும் விண்ணில் சாய
மேகம் வந்துக் கச்சையாக
காமன் தங்கும் மோகப்பூவில், முத்தக்கும்மாளம்....

:clap:

Sureshs65
31st July 2010, 09:30 PM
viraajan,

Lovely song. I personal listen to the Malayalam version. Rarely to the Tamil version. I unfortunately have the Hindi version. Horrible to say the least.

'Kaalapani' is an album for ages. Outstanding melodies and outstanding orchestration in each and every song.

Sureshs65
1st August 2010, 12:58 AM
Listening to 'paartha vizhi paatha padi' after ArvindMano posted the song in his facebook page.

This one has class written all over it right from the start. The drums and the cymbal sounding together and the rhythm going in a sort of asymmetric fashion before the 'andhadhi' chant begins. What a tune for that !!! With that ending in 'saranam saranam', the conch gets blown and the rhythm changes. Jesudas enters with his majestic voice. And how is it that you can pack so much melody and emotion such that it tells a tale in just four lines!!! Once Jesudas finishes those 4 lines, the anadhadi is sung and then KJY sings an octave above before the drums and cymbals take over for a lovely climax. Beyond doubt this can only be composed by someone who knows his Tamil, knows Tamil bakthi literature and knows exactly what the story needs.

This is one song I would point to anyone who asks me why we cling to Raja so much and why it is difficult to accept other pretenders to the throne.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfRR3a_FPFY

raj_musing
1st August 2010, 08:21 AM
Listening to 'paartha vizhi paatha padi' after ArvindMano posted the song in his facebook page.

This one has class written all over it right from the start. The drums and the cymbal sounding together and the rhythm going in a sort of asymmetric fashion before the 'andhadhi' chant begins. What a tune for that !!! With that ending in 'saranam saranam', the conch gets blown and the rhythm changes. Jesudas enters with his majestic voice. And how is it that you can pack so much melody and emotion such that it tells a tale in just four lines!!! Once Jesudas finishes those 4 lines, the anadhadi is sung and then KJY sings an octave above before the drums and cymbals take over for a lovely climax. Beyond doubt this can only be composed by someone who knows his Tamil, knows Tamil bakthi literature and knows exactly what the story needs.

This is one song I would point to anyone who asks me why we cling to Raja so much and why it is difficult to accept other pretenders to the throne.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfRR3a_FPFY

Suresh,

Bombay Jayashree had commented on this particular composition long back,when she said that she was inspired to elaborate on Paavani ragam after hearing this composition.
I searched and got that thread, which was posted years ago..

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=7988

Nerd
1st August 2010, 08:51 AM
Just listened to the over hyped album of the year and got pissed off, Later... Only after listening to songs from Aditya 369, Anjali, Nirnayam and few other futuristic songs of Raaja, I got relieved off the stress from earlier listening to the unimaginative songs of Oscar composer :twisted:
This is precisely what I hate about many Raja fans here. And why I don't post in this section though I am sir's fan. Why cant they shut up and post just about sir's songs? Idhula oscar stomach burn vera.. idhellaam thEvaiyaa :banghead:

tvsankar
1st August 2010, 07:55 PM
Aathangarai Mettorama - PJ and SJ - Pattanam pogalam vaa

Bhageshri , madhyamavathi - rendu raagamum irukara madhiri thonudhae?

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00483&lang=en

raajarasigan
2nd August 2010, 11:24 AM
viraajan,

Lovely song. I personal listen to the Malayalam version. Rarely to the Tamil version. I unfortunately have the Hindi version. Horrible to say the least.

'Kaalapani' is an album for ages. Outstanding melodies and outstanding orchestration in each and every song.Suresh, Yes.. it is an album with outstanding orchestration... I have NOT heard the original version :oops: but only tamil version....

Semboove
Suttum Sudar Vizhi
Mannan Koorai
Aalolangili...
Ithu Thai pirandha

Last but NOT the least, the BGM... :D

this film's score can easily be the text book for composing in a period film.... :D :notworthy:

Plum
2nd August 2010, 11:30 AM
Suresh, the hindi version of maarikoottinuLLil is quite good. The lyrics, though cheesy, arent as eye-poppingly bad as other dubbed lyrics.

app_engine
2nd August 2010, 08:13 PM
The situation for the thOgai song itself was novel for the point of time. IIRC, only Madras had TV then, while some parts of south TN could get (at times grainy and at times fine) roopavAhini from Srilanka. DD was in the process of installing dishes in big towns - but they relayed only Delhi programs and not Chennai). So, the heroine getting a chance through her "connections" for the hero to sing in TV was a "new situation" for Thamizh movies:-)

R Sundarrajan's situation should have inspired IR to make a "made for AIR / DD" kind of number - i.e. one that sounds like 'mellisai' on surface but having tremendous musical ingradients embedded :-)

தோகை இளமயில் (பயணங்கள் முடிவதில்லை) பாடல் வரிகள் :

பல்லவி:

தோகை இளமயில் ஆடி வருகுது வானில் மழை வருமோ?
கோதை இவள் விழி நூறு கவிதைகள் நாளும் எழுதிடுமோ?

தேன் சிந்தும் நேரம், நான் பாடும் ராகம் காற்றோடு கல்யாணம் செய்கின்றதோ?

சரணம் 1:
கோலம் போடும் நாணங்கள் காணாத ஜாலம்
இதழ்களிலே பௌர்ணமி வெளிச்சம்
கண்ணில் தோன்றும் ஜாலங்கள் கார்கால மேகம்
இமைப் பறவை சிறகுகள் அசைக்கும்
விழிகளிலே காதல் விழா நடத்துகிறாள் சாகுந்தலா
அன்னமும் இவளிடம் நடை பழகும்
இவள் நடை அசைவினில் சங்கீதம் உண்டாகும்

சரணம் 2:
பூமி எங்கும் பூந்தோட்டம் நான் காண வேண்டும்
புதுத் தென்றலும் பூக்களில் வசிக்கும்
ஆகாய மேகங்கள் நீரூற்ற வேண்டும்
அந்த மழையில் மலர்களும் குளிக்கும்
அருவிகளோ ராகம் தரும் அதில் நனைந்தால் தாகம் வரும்
தேவதை விழியிலே அமுத அலை
கனவுகள் வளர்த்திடும் கள்ளூறும் உன் பார்வை.

app_engine
2nd August 2010, 09:00 PM
digression

In the last few pages of the part#2 of 'last IR song' thread, I posted about IR's hit rate year after year, after looking at thiraippAdal's yearly lists, following the 1979 post by jaiganes (which possibly also led us to the poll in this part#3 thread).

And today, I stumbled on this interesting blog (http://sunson.livejournal.com/211384.html) with statistics (just the # of movies) graphs of MSV/IR/ARR and comparing the hit tunes to mining of energy resources :-)

Though I don't agree to the comparisons, I think the blogger has a point:-)

end-digression

jaiganes
2nd August 2010, 09:18 PM
The situation for the thOgai song itself was novel for the point of time. IIRC, only Madras had TV then, while some parts of south TN could get (at times grainy and at times fine) roopavAhini from Srilanka. DD was in the process of installing dishes in big towns - but they relayed only Delhi programs and not Chennai). So, the heroine getting a chance through her "connections" for the hero to sing in TV was a "new situation" for Thamizh movies:-)

R Sundarrajan's situation should have inspired IR to make a "made for AIR / DD" kind of number - i.e. one that sounds like 'mellisai' on surface but having tremendous musical ingradients embedded :-)

தோகை இளமயில் (பயணங்கள் முடிவதில்லை) பாடல் வரிகள் :

பல்லவி:

தோகை இளமயில் ஆடி வருகுது வானில் மழை வருமோ?
கோதை இவள் விழி நூறு கவிதைகள் நாளும் எழுதிடுமோ?

தேன் சிந்தும் நேரம், நான் பாடும் ராகம் காற்றோடு கல்யாணம் செய்கின்றதோ?

சரணம் 1:
கோலம் போடும் நாணங்கள் காணாத ஜாலம்
இதழ்களிலே பௌர்ணமி வெளிச்சம்
கண்ணில் தோன்றும் ஜாலங்கள் கார்கால மேகம்
இமைப் பறவை சிறகுகள் அசைக்கும்
விழிகளிலே காதல் விழா நடத்துகிறாள் சாகுந்தலா
அன்னமும் இவளிடம் நடை பழகும்
இவள் நடை அசைவினில் சங்கீதம் உண்டாகும்

சரணம் 2:
பூமி எங்கும் பூந்தோட்டம் நான் காண வேண்டும்
புதுத் தென்றலும் பூக்களில் வசிக்கும்
ஆகாய மேகங்கள் நீரூற்ற வேண்டும்
அந்த மழையில் மலர்களும் குளிக்கும்
அருவிகளோ ராகம் தரும் அதில் நனைந்தால் தாகம் வரும்
தேவதை விழியிலே அமுத அலை
கனவுகள் வளர்த்திடும் கள்ளூறும் உன் பார்வை.

The beauty of the song in my opinion lies in the conversation between guitar and veenai (with flute backup). Such conversations between instruments coming from different traditions are very rare to find in film music and here it is happening effortlessly and entering out hearts easily as a breeze entering a house with lot of open windows.
Initially it was all SPB magic for me when I heard the song, then the nice lyrics, but the sweet meat is the stuff done in the interludes - for they tell a tale of their own, a song to be cherished with eyes closed, head phones tight and with a wish that time slows down in the interludes to keep the instruments at play longer. It is one of those songs for which the smart guys invented the "Rewind" button in cassette players.

Bala (Karthik)
2nd August 2010, 10:04 PM
someone has to write about the guitar in this song. Though not as "eye popping" as the "ILaya nila", nevertheless has a special beauty to it...
http://www.youtube.com/user/tanapp#p/c/78989252965B6B64/5/o0_qhXoOwpI

The rush one gets in the interludes is indescribable.
<Expletive> Such beauty with precision, how is this conceived? :shock:

app_engine
3rd August 2010, 02:34 AM
Tried to locate the original video of 'thOgai' - could not find in youtube :-(

Still, a worthy search, as someone has placed a few scenes with sweet BGM from this movie here :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmZlVo_bSJQ&feature=related

(Interesting to see a "feeling-less" Gounder in one of the scenes, also the foto of IR / his brothers and their ambassador car in GA's office)

This link has the video, poor kwality :
http://tamilmusic.mywebdunia.com/2009/02/23/1235384267761.html

priya32
3rd August 2010, 03:38 AM
App,

Here you go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_WUYR9Vrto

tvsankar
3rd August 2010, 05:04 PM
Meera - Very Nice Album

Pazhaiya vilangu - Asha - Like her Rendition and the pronounciation............ innocent mazhalai.. its not acting........

This is called mood and its expression......

Haunting Prelude............

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00363&lang=en

Shank
3rd August 2010, 05:28 PM
Yesterday, I happened to watch parts of "Oru Kaidhiyin Diary" on Jaya TV....most of the suspense scenes have a terrific theme music...very grand, embellished with trumpets and superb bass. Scenes like the one where the son-Kamal organizes security around the church hoping that the father-Kamal will try and get in touch with the church father...the BGM is very rich.

Of course, "Pon Maane" has really good interludes as well...always liked it.

PS: I tried searching for BGM bits, but couldn't find the suspense theme.

thumburu
3rd August 2010, 07:20 PM
Yesterday, I happened to watch parts of "Oru Kaidhiyin Diary" on Jaya TV....most of the suspense scenes have a terrific theme music...very grand, embellished with trumpets and superb bass. Scenes like the one where the son-Kamal organizes security around the church hoping that the father-Kamal will try and get in touch with the church father...the BGM is very rich.

Of course, "Pon Maane" has really good interludes as well...always liked it.

PS: I tried searching for BGM bits, but couldn't find the suspense theme.
Yes "pon maane" depicts that rain and shine mood so aptly in the interludes, the first interlude blowing hot with trumpets and the second one is psychedelic , after the chorus portion with piano bells and violins joining gives hair raising experience . WCM experts can analyze better even though the main melody is Shivaranjini.
The last Raja song I chew on is "Ponnoviyam" from "Kazhugu" . Sheer aural delight with choral harmony parts , guitar , Raja and Janaki

Sureshs65
3rd August 2010, 07:33 PM
There was some confusion going on in twitter. Seems Yuvan had tweeted saying that he was composing a Hindi song for a Tamil film, the first of its kind. One knowledgeable person tweeted back to Yuvan that his father had already composed a Hindi song in 'Nandu'. This led me to hearing the beauty that is "Kaise kahoon" from Nandu.

http://thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00409&lang=en

( It was also pointed out that MSV has done a full Hindi song in 'Varumayin Niram Sigappu' and people felt that this song sounded as if done by a North Indian MD rather than by MSV. In 'kaise kahoon' Raja stamp is unmistakeable.)

app_engine
3rd August 2010, 07:47 PM
App,
Here you go...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_WUYR9Vrto

நன்றி!

கொஞ்சம் கல்லூரிக்கால நினைவுகளை பூர்ணிமா நடனக்காட்சிகள் எழுப்பின:-)

We watched this movie a few times in singAraththOp area (in a non-A/C pAdAvathi theater where it ran for 100+ days, may be even veLLi vizhA) and each had a 45 minute return trip to hostel by city-bus, and we typically had a loud discussion around the movie.

My room-mate was so irritated by Poornima's dance in this song (ஏன் இப்படிக்கையக்கால ஆட்டுறா, சும்மா உடுப்பு போட்டுகிட்டா பரதநாட்டியம்னு நெனப்பா, அருமையான பாட்டு - நல்ல தொடக்கம் - ஆனா இவ ஆட்டம் ஒழிச்சிருச்சு மச்சி etc). He was also an emmesvee admirer and we had tons of arguments during college days as to who was the besttu. Even within a few months into the course, a group of us found out that he has a taste for arguing (for anything and everything) and found sadistic pleasure in triggering him :-)

thOgai was one opportunity to trigger him with questions such as -
-she's in love and so should she care about grammar of Bharatham?
-isn't Poornima a trained classical dancer?
-aren't all movie dances watered-down versions of bharatham, does any exist that's a perfect art?

I can remember his emotional outbursts with animated talking, answering such silly triggers elaborately, talking on-and-on-and-on:-)

tvsankar
3rd August 2010, 08:06 PM
Poornima - 1st stanza ku onum dance adalaiyae..

Raaja Sir - 2 nd stanza ku - dance ada ra madhiri compse panni

Acatress ku kashtam koduthu irukar.......... or

Raaja Sir - Dance ada theirnja Heroine a nu gavanichu, compose panni - Velai koduthutar......... :lol: :lol: :lol:

priya32
3rd August 2010, 08:20 PM
Speaking of Bharatnatyam in tamil movies, I've always thought...eventhough Sri Priya has done a decent job in this video, if the song was given it to either Shobana or Amala they'd have done a wonderful job...oru aadhangam...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaAMBof6fLc

tvsankar
3rd August 2010, 08:38 PM
priya,
Shobana - Dance in IR songs - iruka

enna songs.. you tube irukuma?

want to see.........

tvsankar
3rd August 2010, 08:39 PM
Thanks for "Ther kondu vandhavan"

Nice song..

app_engine
3rd August 2010, 08:44 PM
Ofcourse, as Jai observed, the interludes are phenomenal in thOgai while the melody / SPB / poem are equally terrific. ('காற்றோடு கல்யாணம் செய்கின்றதோ' for electromagnetic waves is such a beautiful line and R Sundarrajan made use of the opportunity to show TN people the sennaiththolaikkAtchi kOpuram).

The percussions are so varied and brilliant for a movie song as well. While the accompaniments to SPB are mostly tablA, towards the end of the saraNam, where jadhi-like portions come up, IR switches to mridhangam - நம்மையறியாமல் தாளம் போட வைக்கும் விதத்தில்!

And he keeps the orchestra on toes during the interludes, the first one has the jazz drums supporting lead guitar while the second one is a mridhangam delight!

Like most songs of PM, thOgai too has a very brief but effective flute / veeNai / guitar prelude (only sAlaiyOram has a long trumpet prelude; iLayanilA / rAgadeepam / vaigaraiyil have no preludes, maNi Osai has a very short one and AththA, after the grand guitar notes, switches to the song's tune itself on shenoy).

IIRC, there's a moment of surprise on the face of heroine when the hero starts singing for DD (possibly he ignores the original poem written for the program but starts singing about his sweetheart momentarily).

GA has his children with him in one shot (Venkat Prabhu / Premji?) :-)

priya32
3rd August 2010, 09:05 PM
priya,
Shobana - Dance in IR songs - iruka

enna songs.. you tube irukuma?

want to see.........

Ushaji,

I don't think Shobana was used as a classical dancer in tamil movies as much as Amala and Banu Priya!

Shank
3rd August 2010, 10:05 PM
@Suresh, yeah Kaise Kahoon is a gem...were you listening to it only now? I thought we had spoken about that song many times in the past too...maybe you just went back to it after that Twitter episode.

@Priya, Thalapathi might be a small example where Shobana got to dance as a classical dancer...even there, it's not much.

Sureshs65
3rd August 2010, 11:27 PM
Shank,

Yup. We have spoken about this earlier. I think you had posted about this here. I was listening to this again after the twitter episode.

tvsankar
4th August 2010, 12:04 AM
Shobana's Dance - All are sweeeeet.......

some nos from my list

Manu peyum raavil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWWOAbY4-XI&feature=related

tvsankar
4th August 2010, 12:13 AM
Olathumathinil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_0ksBODI_g&feature=related

app_engine
4th August 2010, 06:07 PM
சாலையோரம் சோலையொன்று ஆடும், சங்கீதம் பாடும் (எஸ் பி பி / ஜானகி / வைரமுத்து / பயணங்கள் முடிவதில்லை)

Sweet song with some nice wind instrument sounds and remarkable bass guitar work which is typical of IR's songs during his peak :-) It goes like a counter melody in the pallavi to the voice part, the sweetest part being when the word ' இப்போது' is sung:-)

Sureshs65
5th August 2010, 04:43 PM
Listening to 'kai veesi' from 'Nandalala'. Why 'Nandala' has become a 'Nondalala' is a mystery. Hope they release the movie soon.

I am not sure if the song will appear in the movie but can any director do justice to this melody? I have my own doubts. Ravi Natrajan had written in detail about this song and its orchestration in his latest blog post and I know that Raj had also written about this song earlier, when dealing with Raja's rhythmic complexity. What free flowing song. The words support the song to give us a very idyllic world.

raajarasigan
5th August 2010, 06:07 PM
Meen kodi theril - Karumbu Vil :D

Orchestration sounds like a tribal sound... similar to Raaman aandalum... in this song, Pallavi / Charanam are somewhat different... in the sense, after hearing the charanam, you can't easily say that this is how the pallavi will be...

app_engine
5th August 2010, 11:17 PM
ரெண்டு நாளைக்கு முன்னாடி யூட்யூபில் பார்த்த "கற்பூர பொம்மை ஒன்று" (கேளடி கண்மணி, பி சுசீலா) மனதில் ரீங்காரமிட்டபடியே இருக்கிறது!

பிள்ளைப்பாடல்களுக்கு சுசீலாவை மிஞ்ச யாருமில்லை! (ராசாவையும் :-) )

thumburu
6th August 2010, 07:02 PM
"Idhu iLamai iLamai" is simply a guitar "thiruvizha" by the god of guitar, Raja , sung by Janaki and Ramesh. This not so fortunate guy must have got more chance when compared to Malaysia and Mano, under IR baton. The opening and pallavi itself have such captivating bass line hooks and riffs. An undrrated gem from the movie. Another small nitpick would be to replace those chorus with trumpets

thumburu
6th August 2010, 07:03 PM
Sorry forgot to add the song is from "Ambigai Neril VandhaaL".

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00032&lang=en

Sureshs65
6th August 2010, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the 'Idhu Ilamai' song reco. Superb guitars and as usual superb acoustic drumming. The drummer is definitely enjoying himself here. You have a point about the chorus being replaced by sax. It would have been excellent. This song is bound to be in a loop for some time.

Sanjeevi
6th August 2010, 11:25 PM
Great song :) never heard before

thanks thumburu

Sureshs65
7th August 2010, 07:58 PM
'idhu ilamai' still in loop. Super song.

raj_musing
7th August 2010, 08:01 PM
I have seen this movie in Chennai in the year 2000.Nothing much to talk about the movie except for the songs which were quiet catchy those days..

http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/moviedetail.asp?mid=T0001035

Ola kudisayile and Ini nalum are really impressive.

raj_musing
7th August 2010, 08:05 PM
Meen kodi theril - Karumbu Vil :D

Orchestration sounds like a tribal sound... similar to Raaman aandalum... in this song, Pallavi / Charanam are somewhat different... in the sense, after hearing the charanam, you can't easily say that this is how the pallavi will be...

Meenkodi Theril---My favourite as well. What a song.. especially where he brings that tribal bits in between the lines. Is there any type of song that raja has not handled ?? :)

PARAMASHIVAN
9th August 2010, 04:13 PM
Jannani jannani jagam nee aham nee jaga karani nee pari poorani nee

IR at the height of Everest!

I get Goosebumps/ Tears when ever I hear this 'Divine' song and 'divine' composition!

Plum
9th August 2010, 04:44 PM
paramu, enakku therinju idhu first non-SPB song that you have appreciated so emotionally. So, IR :bow:

PARAMASHIVAN
9th August 2010, 04:56 PM
paramu, enakku therinju idhu first non-SPB song that you have appreciated so emotionally. So, IR :bow:

Plum

Neenga thappa purinchu kittu irukeenga, ennoda fav MD is none other than IR
I can give a 'Huge' lis of his songs,

here are some

Naan thedum sevanthi poovithu
unakena thaane ineram naanum kaathirinthEn

As an MD his beyond imagination, but some of his songs(sung by him) by "default" should have gone to SPB, like 'Raaja raaja raajathi raajah'.

On a 'personal' view, I am quite annoyed with him for not using SPB (his old best mate) in his new projects. He was a member of SPB's musical band in the early 70's prior to him becoming a composer.

And more ever, he has suthapified awesome songs (which should have gone to SPB ) by promoting Mano, I can list 100's songs like this

1) nee oru kadhal sangeetham
2) Shenbagame shenbagme
3) Nila kaayum neram saranam

Plum
9th August 2010, 05:02 PM
paramu, your views on this is well known. I just meant that this is the first not sung by SPB that you have appreciated(AFAIK) hence I thought let me express my awe on IR for making you appreciate his singing :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
9th August 2010, 05:09 PM
Got your point plum.

I some how felt IR 's voice suited actor 'Karthik'.

Another Gem by IR gone in the drain, thanks to Mano :banghead:

'ManiyE Manikuyile ' from Karthik's film naadodi

Plum
9th August 2010, 05:22 PM
And one more from the same film "oru kaNam oru yugamAga". The pangs are deeper in this case as IR takes over in the second stanza, thereby showing what we missed with mano until then....

PARAMASHIVAN
9th August 2010, 05:31 PM
IR & Kamal

Kamal sang his 'best' songs under IR :thumbsup:

1) Thenpandi cheemaiyilE - Kamal :thumbsup:
2) Inji idupazhagi - this is a SPB song
3) sundari neeyum sundari
4) pottu vaitha kathal thitak OK kanmani . wow kamal would reach very high notes without 'much' efforts, this is quite amazing for a 'non' professional singer :yes:

raj_musing
9th August 2010, 07:37 PM
Yes Kamal had sung a lot of song effortlessly and his singing talent is appreciable. I remember once in an interview when he mentioned that he wanted to become a vocalist and that he was trained in carnatic music during his childhood.

Ram Ram title song from "Hey Ram" is another example where he has reached high notes without effort.

Plum
10th August 2010, 06:23 PM
AvEshamanthA AlApanElE - for no reason, the song has been ringing in my ears from the morning. I didnt hear it recently. I didnt read about it. I didnt read anything remotely connected to it or its cast.

The song is all about tune and SPB.

raj_musing
10th August 2010, 11:51 PM
I was just listening to another song which had Karthik and Monisha in the lead.. This has all the ingredients of an ilayaraja song and is a true delight to watch and listen.Though I have heard a similar kind of song like this before...but unable to figure that now..

Vaanam Idi Idikku from UNAI NINACHEN PATTU PADICHEN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XbqKu6SXZo&feature=related

vel
11th August 2010, 11:20 AM
prema beram teepi neram - fanstastic bass, guitar works...a fabulous tune sung superbly by susheela...repeatedly been listening to this old song...anyone can shed more light on this telugu song...

kj
11th August 2010, 03:19 PM
prema beram teepi neram is a dubbed version of Nilavu Neram from the Rajini Movie Annai Oru aalayam. But indeed a great song with awesome bass.

thumburu
11th August 2010, 05:13 PM
I was just listening to another song which had Karthik and Monisha in the lead.. This has all the ingredients of an ilayaraja song and is a true delight to watch and listen.Though I have heard a similar kind of song like this before...but unable to figure that now..

Vaanam Idi Idikku from UNAI NINACHEN PATTU PADICHEN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XbqKu6SXZo&feature=related - The reason for "dejavu" is because this song is a rehash of "madhura marikozhundhu vaasam" of "enga ooru paattukaaran". For me, the song of the movie is "ennai thottu aLLikonda mannan perum ennadi" , sung very unhurriedly by Swarna and SPB .
Suresh and Sanjeevi, glad that you guys liked "idhu iLamai iLamai"

jaiganes
11th August 2010, 10:13 PM
pattu vanna selaik kaari from Engeyo Kaetta kural. Malaysia Vasu and Raaja songs are always special.

another malaysia special is "Ellaa kaleya balle" from Ajeya (Kannada). Second interlude rock music is way ahead of it times. Very groovy...

The rock opening is sustained by three things...
bass guitar, lead guitar and drums.
then the first interlude surprises with carnatic phrase with violin, mrudanga. At this point i can visualise the drums and guitar players scratching their heads ..
Then the pallavi repeats then the second interlude happens. IT really happens with the trumpet and electric guitar playing some psychedlic phases to lead to a "balanced" guitar play. This phase is "OUT OF THE WORLD". very underrated song - shoddy picturisation, lanky murali dancing way out of his league spoiling the song, but when heard (not seen) this song is of the highest order amply showcasing the irreplacable genius that raja is .

app_engine
11th August 2010, 10:46 PM
மேகங்கருக்கையிலே புள்ள தேகங்குளிருதடி!
ஆத்தக்கடந்திடலாம் புள்ள ஆசைய என்ன செய்ய?
அக்கர சேந்த பின்னே ஓன் ஆசையச்சொல்லு மச்சான்!
நெய்விளக்கேத்தி வச்சு ஓன் நேசத்தச்சொல்லு மச்சான்!

(வைதேகி காத்திருந்தாள், ராசா / உமா ரமணன், ஆர் சுந்தர்ராஜன், ரேவதி)

What a song!

How nicely IR marries a pucca folk song to bass guitar! And some choral harmony!

Brilliant!

I remember hearing this song for the first time when watching the movie (only listened to rAsAththi onna prior to going to the theater, we watched it possibly within a couple of weeks from release - thanks to the reputation RS had built already).

பிரமிப்புன்னா அது தான் பிரமிப்பு!

raj_musing
11th August 2010, 11:00 PM
Thumburu

Exactly..madhura marikozhundhu vaasam is the song,,Thanks

AravindMano
12th August 2010, 10:11 AM

What a song!

How nicely IR marries a pucca folk song to bass guitar! And some choral harmony!

Brilliant!

I remember hearing this song for the first time when watching the movie (only listened to rAsAththi onna prior to going to the theater, we watched it possibly within a couple of weeks from release - thanks to the reputation RS had built already).

பிரமிப்புன்னா அது தான் பிரமிப்பு!

Yes. Yes. Yes!

vel
12th August 2010, 10:51 AM
i dont think 'vaanam idi idikka' or for that matter any love song tuned in mayamalawagowlai should be dismissed simply as a re-hash...the scale's genes are not for romance - the master composer's genius shows in deftly using this raga with a "haunting pathos" feel to love songs - sheer innovation. As i write this, i am reminded of 'machi mannaru' from en uyir thozhan...versatility, thy name is ilaiyaraaja :)

raajarasigan
12th August 2010, 01:42 PM

What a song!

Brilliant!

பிரமிப்புன்னா அது தான் பிரமிப்பு!app, Great song indeed!! :D IR / UR rendition :clap:

raajarasigan
12th August 2010, 01:44 PM
Alli Thandha Bhoomi - Nandu

Early IR classic!! :)

MV did a good job in bringing the right feel!

thumburu
12th August 2010, 07:05 PM
[quote="vel"]i dont think 'vaanam idi idikka' or for that matter any love song tuned in mayamalawagowlai should be dismissed simply as a re-hash...
Not that way. I can never get enough of Mayamalavagowla beauties like "andhapurathil oru maharani" or "enna paattu paada" or "poonkadhave" or "andhi varum neram", "thennankeeterum".Plenty of examples . But in this case the template driven approach is pretty much evident .

Bala (Karthik)
12th August 2010, 07:16 PM
Alli Thandha Bhoomi - Nandu

Early IR classic!! :)

MV did a good job in bringing the right feel!
This song in repeat mode (in my mind) after reading this. MV :thumbsup:

venkkiram
12th August 2010, 08:13 PM
ஆலமரம் மேலமரும் பச்ச பசுங்கிளியே

------ பல்லவி முடிந்து முதல் இடை இசை ஆரம்பிக்கும் தருணம் - எப்படி இப்படியொரு இசையை,சங்கதியை ராஜா கற்பனை செய்து, அதை செயல்படுத்திக் காட்டினார் என்ற வியப்பு இன்று வரை தீராத ஒன்று.

உன்னிகிருஷ்ணன் - பவதாரிணி கூட்டணியில், ராஜாவின் மேதமைக்கு நல்லதொரு எடுத்துக்காட்டு இந்தப் பாடல்.

app_engine
12th August 2010, 09:44 PM
வா வா அன்பே அன்பே
(அக்னி நட்சத்திரம், யேசுதாஸ் / சித்ரா / மணி ரத்னம் / கார்த்திக்)

இந்த ஆல்பம் வெளி வந்த போது என் கடைசித்தெரிவாக இருந்த பாடல் இப்போதும் அடிக்கடி கேட்கப்படுகிறது :-) அடுத்த கடைசித்தெரிவான 'தூங்காத விழிகளும்' அப்படியே. மற்ற நான்கையும் அவ்வளவு அடிக்கடி கேட்பதில்லை. ஒரு வேளை தாஸேட்டன் காரணமாக இருக்கலாம்...

vel
13th August 2010, 10:33 AM
[tscii:f6ab3b5cb8]
[quote=vel]i dont think 'vaanam idi idikka' or for that matter any love song tuned in mayamalawagowlai should be dismissed simply as a re-hash...
Not that way. I can never get enough of Mayamalavagowla beauties like "andhapurathil oru maharani" or "enna paattu paada" or "poonkadhave" or "andhi varum neram", "thennankeeterum".Plenty of examples . But in this case the template driven approach is pretty much evident .

:) subjectivity at play here - as far as I am concerned, templates are fine as long as the template itself is sheer innovation which we often tend to forget (a haunting pathos scale for romantic situations)....how many MMG duets have we had in the past and how many would we have in the future? I just worked out the different situations to which IR has used MMG....romance, philosophy, pathos, humour, carnatic, devotion, folk...

ROMANTIC SITUATIONS

Alla Un Aanai Padi - Chandralekha
Andhi Varum Neram - Mundhanai Mudhichu
Anthapurathil Oru Maharani - Deepam
Enga Ooru Laila Laila - Karagaatakari
Kaadhal Kavithaigal - Gopura Vasalile
Kaadhal Maharani - Kaadhal Parisu
Kottu Kali Kottu - Chinnavar
Maanin Iru Kangal Konda - Maapillai (don’t miss the first 6 seconds of prelude)
Manjal Nilavukku - Mudhal Iravu
Oru Chiri Kandal - Ponmudi Puzhayorathu
Poonkathave Thaazhthiravai - Nizhalgal
Poova Eduthu Oru - Amman Kovil Kizhakaale
Sorgathil Nikka Nikka - Rajasthan
Thennangeetrum Thendral Kaatrum - Mudivilla Arambam
Vaanam Idi Idikka - Unna Ninaichen Paatu Padichen
Varaverkumo En Raajakumari - Pachakuthira

PHILOSOPHY

Appanendrum Ammaiendrum - Guna Thayundu Thandhaiyundu - Kovil Kaalai (a soul rendering song)Ullukkulla Chakaravarthi - Panakkaaran

HAUNTING PATHOS

Aradi Suvaru Dhaan - Idhu Namma Bhoomi (haunting charanams !!)
Chinna Kuyile Kuyile - Manasellam
Arumb Arumba Saram Thodutha - Chinnathayi
En Thayenum Koyilai - Aranmanai Kili
Enge Naan Kanbaen - Sadhanai
Idho Idho En Nenjile - Vattathukkul Sathuram
Kuyila Pudichu - Chinnathambi
Manadhil Urudhi Vendum - Manadhil Urudhi Vendum
Nandri Sollave Enakku - Udan Pirappu
Poo Pole Un Punnagaiyil - Kavarimaan
Samigale Samigale Sondha Kadhai Kelunga - En Purushan Thaan Enakku Mattum Thaan
Sollaal Aditha Sundari - Chinna Kounder (touches dha2 slightly) Uyirae Uyirae Urugadhae - Oruvar Vaazhum Aalayam

HUMOUR

Enna Paatu Paada - Chakkalathi (Naadhanamakriya?)
Machchi Mannaru - Ennuyir Thozhan (a versatile composition !)
Sivagami Nenapinile - Kili Petchu Ketkava (a blinder of a tune from IR !!)
Vayasu Vandha Valibanukku - En Mana Vaanil

CARNATIC

Enakinai Yaaringe - Ivan

DEVOTION

Kan Parum Devi - Kokkarako
Mariyamma Mariyamma - Karagaatakaran
Masaru Ponne Varuga - Thevar Magan
Neeye Gadhiyamma - Chinna Thurai
Rama Namam Oru Vedame - Sri Raghavendra

FOLK

Madhura Marikozhundhu - Enga Ooru Patukaran
Onapputhattu Bullakku Vaangi Tharen - Chinna Jameen

(on second thoughts, maybe i should have posted this in ROS thread)...thanks anyways for enabling me with an opportunity to rant on IR's MMG....
[/tscii:f6ab3b5cb8]

Shakthiprabha
13th August 2010, 11:58 AM
how many MMG duets have we had in the past and how many would we have in the future? I just worked out the different situations to which IR has used MMG....romance, philosophy, pathos, humour, carnatic, devotion, folk...

Enge Naan Kanbaen - Sadhanai

Interesting! thanks.

Mariyamma Mariyamma - Karagaatakaran
Rama Namam Oru Vedame - Sri Raghavendra

:ty: lovely to know raga base

raajarasigan
13th August 2010, 03:07 PM
Vel,

Nice List for MMG :clap:

vel
13th August 2010, 04:44 PM
shakthi & Rajarasigan, thanks for the :cheer:

Devaraagam
13th August 2010, 07:22 PM
Listening Unarumeeganam from Mookampakkam. lovely song and nice rendition by venugopal.

classic number...this song made me to watch the movie...lost myself in the movie...

never forget the feeling of this song.

app_engine
13th August 2010, 09:59 PM
ஏ முத்து முத்தா பூத்திருக்கு வாச முல்லே
அட தொட்டு புட்டா தோஷமில்லே வாடி புள்ளே

தண்ணீ கருத்திருச்சு - கண்ணு தவள சத்தம் கேட்டிருச்சு

(மலேசியா வாசுதேவன் / இளமை ஊஞ்சலாடுகிறது)

ஸ்கூல் வயதில் பயந்து பயந்து கேட்ட பாடல் (பெற்றோர் திட்டுவார்களோ என்ற பயம் - ஆனால் பாட்டின் இசையோ வசீகரம்) :-)

The interesting part of this song is a tinge of sadness - very confusing. There's a nightly feeling / lust etc those are obvious. However, either the solo violin or the usage of flute brings in a peculiar kind of melancholy to the song. Without question a Raja masterpiece of orchestration, for a simple themmAngu!

sloshed
13th August 2010, 11:27 PM
app,

Good observation. I have noticed the same in many different IR songs. For example, "Kan Malargalin Azhaipithal". I couldnt make out if it was a happy duet song or a sad song (that is off coursie till I saw the video and cursing myself ever since for doing the same). The song can easily fot a pathos situation.

Vivasaayi
14th August 2010, 08:13 AM
Sempoove poove un - sirai chalai

One of the best of IR/SPB combo.

vel
14th August 2010, 10:12 AM
slodhed and app - Even he has scored a sad 'mohanam' in 'malligai maalai katti' song from film pudhiya ragam...just amazing..the raga is just not made for melancholy...but he makes magic..

vel
14th August 2010, 11:03 AM
listened to 2 gems just now...

a) vaanil vidivelli - honest raj - unbelievable simlple tune but what an effect it has...melting charukesi..

b) vadagai veedidhu - paadadha theneekal - vani jeyaram's another club song...in dharmavathi this is set..

tvsankar
14th August 2010, 01:02 PM
MVD IR combo

Best song is - Mylapore pakkam

MVD - very nice rendition..........

Haunting c omposition..........

Violin - Great Notes......

Flute - cane - Only from IR............ No comparison...........

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00303&lang=en

tvsankar
14th August 2010, 01:10 PM
IR KJY - best song is

Naan Yerikarai melairundhu

World Best Folk song....... KJY renidion - So Sweet.................

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00095&lang=en

raj_musing
14th August 2010, 03:38 PM
Listening Unarumeeganam from Mookampakkam. lovely song and nice rendition by venugopal.

classic number...this song made me to watch the movie...lost myself in the movie...

never forget the feeling of this song.

Venu got state award for this song. However Ilayaraja gave him a hard time during the the time of composition,as raja was too adamant that KJY should sing this and not Venugopal. The director of Movie took a while to convince raja, as raja was not particularly happy with the singer.

Venu had to struggle as raja used to interrupt and find mistakes,though he gave his heart and soul during the recording session(As quoted by him once)

However in terms of output this is one of the best song rendered by Venugopal in malayalam film music.

raj_musing
14th August 2010, 03:42 PM
IR KJY - best song is

Thanks Usha for reminding this song... What a fantastic folk song from the combo..

raj_musing
14th August 2010, 04:00 PM
A fantastic duet from SPB and Janaki from the telugu movie "Muthyamantha Muddu". The violin piece after every line for that funny "thandava" kind of step embellishes this song till the end. Enjoy the composition!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgzDVgrqd2E

Bala (Karthik)
14th August 2010, 11:04 PM
app,

Good observation. I have noticed the same in many different IR songs. For example, "Kan Malargalin Azhaipithal". I couldnt make out if it was a happy duet song or a sad song (that is off coursie till I saw the video and cursing myself ever since for doing the same). The song can easily fot a pathos situation.
IMO that's a Raaja signature, the melancholy/deep element even in supposedly 'happy' love songs (not to be confused that its a sad song for a happy situation). whether intrinsic or by design that's a big factor of the timelessness of his music

Shakthiprabha
14th August 2010, 11:13 PM
IR KJY - best song is

:) :ty: its been ages.

Just KJY.... thats enough to adds diff dimension to the song. :bow:

tvsankar
14th August 2010, 11:57 PM
raj musing and SP,

Welcome. Yes. KJY and IR's Composition are the Beaties of this song.

En oru Vayasu paiyan, nadu road la odum podhu,

oru veetil irundhu indha paatu padinadhum,

Ninnutan illa....... odi poi pidichiten ila............

Apadi oru Powerful song idhu.............

tvsankar
15th August 2010, 12:05 AM
indha madhiri powerful folks two more are,

1. kombula poova suthi

wat a song........... idhu Kuthu.....

2. Karutha machan - SJ .... She kils me...........

kombula poova suthi

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00734&lang=en

karutha machan

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00531&lang=en

jaiganes
15th August 2010, 12:11 AM
app,

IMO that's a Raaja signature, the melancholy/deep element even in supposedly 'happy' love songs (not to be confused that its a sad song for a happy situation). whether intrinsic or by design that's a big factor of the timelessness of his music
melodynnaale adhu dhaaneppa.

Bala (Karthik)
15th August 2010, 01:15 AM
melodynnaale adhu dhaaneppa.
illaye...

raj_musing
15th August 2010, 12:00 PM
indha madhiri powerful folks two more are,

1. kombula poova suthi

wat a song........... idhu Kuthu.....

2. Karutha machan - SJ .... She kils me...........

kombula poova suthi

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00734&lang=en

karutha machan

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00531&lang=en

Usha you are reading my mind very well :) I was about to mention the "Karutha machan" song. Reminds me of my college days,where that song was repeatedly played in our mess for many months..

raj_musing
15th August 2010, 12:03 PM
Infact all the songs of Puthu Nellu Puthu Nathu are a beauty. Can never forget "Poo Poo" and "Yeh Mari Kozhunthu". These songs...I suppose.. were very less discussed in any forums as well.

app_engine
16th August 2010, 05:21 AM
தவிக்குது, தயங்குது ஒரு மனசு - தினம் தினம் தூங்காமலே - ஒரு சுகம் காணாமலே- அது தொடர்ந்து எனைப்படர்ந்து - ஏதோ செய்கின்றது - மனம் எங்கோ செல்கின்றது

(ஜெயச்சந்திரன் / ஷைலஜா - நதியைத்தேடி வந்த கடல்)

What a song! The wind instruments / chords are awesome! And the switch to traditional bharatha nAttiyam sounds is smooth too - typical of IR's prowess to smoothly blend multiple genres of music seamlessly!

raajarasigan
16th August 2010, 10:11 AM
Oh Vasantha Raaja - Neenga Kaettavi :D

Second interlude and the second charanam - Boss's Bass Guitar is stunning!!!

tvsankar
16th August 2010, 10:37 PM
KIzhakum Merkum

Poongatrae nee ennai - Bhavadharini

Enthu from Heart - Idhu IR composition il kedaikum oru Gift namaku........

No artificial.....

Feelings of the Heart - Ulladhu ulla padi
Reflect pannum oru composition - Idhu dhan IR's Special to me.....

98 Gem.......

another one is

Kathung kuyilae - Sadhana......

Lovely Singing............

Beautiful Gems of this album..

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00301&lang=en

venkkiram
17th August 2010, 06:57 AM
IR KJY - best song is

மன்னிக்கவும்.. ராஜாவின் நாட்டுப்புற இசைப்பாடல்களில் சிறந்த பத்து என்ற எனது தேர்வில் இதற்கு இடமில்லை. மற்றவர்களுக்கு எப்படியோ எனக்கு இதே படத்தில் வரும் "கோட்டையை விட்டு வேட்டைக்குப் போகும்" பாடலில் வரும் கிராமிய உணர்வை ஒப்பிடும்போது "நான் ஏரிக்கரை" பாடல் குறைவென்றே சொல்வேன்.

jaiganes
17th August 2010, 08:21 AM
IR KJY - best song is

மன்னிக்கவும்.. ராஜாவின் நாட்டுப்புற இசைப்பாடல்களில் சிறந்த பத்து என்ற எனது தேர்வில் இதற்கு இடமில்லை. மற்றவர்களுக்கு எப்படியோ எனக்கு இதே படத்தில் வரும் "கோட்டையை விட்டு வேட்டைக்குப் போகும்" பாடலில் வரும் கிராமிய உணர்வை ஒப்பிடும்போது "நான் ஏரிக்கரை" பாடல் குறைவென்றே சொல்வேன்.
charanathil kooda andha unarvu varaliyaa ungalukku?

raj_musing
17th August 2010, 10:11 AM
IR-KJY combination had many folk hits. By the way the song goes,I believe this is also a song which describes the beauty of a village.Good rendition by KJY.Song from "Paatu Vaathiyar"

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00468&lang=en

Oh Mari Oh Mari is a wonderful song from the same album and I just heard that song for the first time.

Neethane song scores for its intense,rich orchestration

raajarasigan
17th August 2010, 11:42 AM
For me, the best folk song from IR-KJY is from Poothotta Kaavalkaaran..

Adi Kaana Ka runguiyile :) :boo:

KJY's rendition in charanam is out of the world!!!

tvsankar
17th August 2010, 12:34 PM
IR KJY - best song is

Venkiram,
IR's Folk songs - Inga dhan irukar IR. Ivar dhan Trend Setter

Guitar aiyum, vidhyasanaman Violin Notes aiyum - Folk song kiru arimugam seidhu, adhil PHD yum seidha oru Ordinary MD.

Adhanal sonnen - World Best Folk song endru. Tats all.

Kottaya vittu - Typical Folk song. Typcial Tamil Nadu. Typical Thirunelveli, ipadi classify panni neraiya pesalam indha paatai.

venkkiram
17th August 2010, 07:11 PM
Venkiram,
IR's Folk songs - Inga dhan irukar IR. Ivar dhan Trend Setter

Guitar aiyum, vidhyasanaman Violin Notes aiyum - Folk song kiru arimugam seidhu, adhil PHD yum seidha oru Ordinary MD.

Adhanal sonnen - World Best Folk song endru. Tats all.

Kottaya vittu - Typical Folk song. Typcial Tamil Nadu. Typical Thirunelveli, ipadi classify panni neraiya pesalam indha paatai.

முழுதும் உடன்படுகிறேன்.

venkkiram
17th August 2010, 07:24 PM
charanathil kooda andha unarvu varaliyaa ungalukku?உணர்ந்தேன். ஆனா அந்த அளவுக்கு அவரது குரல் வசியப்படுத்தவில்லை. ஏசுதாஸின் குரலில் Folk பாடலுக்கென்ற உணர்வு என்றால் "கடலோரம் கடலோரம்" கடல். "நான் ஏரிக்கரை" ஏரி.

ஒரு சந்தேகம். "ஏரிக்கரை பூங்காற்றே" பாடலை எந்த வகையில் சேர்ப்பது? அதுவும் Folk வகையா?

app_engine
17th August 2010, 07:51 PM
ஒரு சந்தேகம். "ஏரிக்கரை பூங்காற்றே" பாடலை எந்த வகையில் சேர்ப்பது? அதுவும் Folk வகையா?

பல ராசா பாடல்களிலுமுள்ள பெரிய சிக்கலே இது தான் :-)

உணர்வு பூர்வமாகப்பார்த்தால் சுத்தமான நாட்டுப்பாடல். தர்க்கமேயில்லை.

பண்டிதர்கள் அதில் ராகம், வெளிநாட்டுச்செவ்வியல் பாதிப்பு, வழக்குக்கு அதீதமான பாடகரின் நாகரீகச்சுவை என்றெல்லாம் கண்டுபிடிக்கக்கூடும்.

ஆனால், 'தூறல் நின்னு போச்சு' படத்தை கை தட்டி வரவேற்ற பாமரர்கள் அதற்கு ஏற்கனவே சான்றிதழ் வழங்கியாயிற்று :-)

irir123
17th August 2010, 08:28 PM
"yerikkarai poongatrey" - gives me goosebumps

jaiganes
17th August 2010, 08:43 PM
"yerikkarai poongatrey" - gives me goosebumps

I reserve that for "Thangach changili" from the same movie.

Now I was you tube surfing for Kadavul Amaitha medai songs and was happy to have landed on "Mayile Mayile". then realised what a mistake it was to see the video. Sivakumar as usual and sumithra as unusual made the song into a pulpy intolerable mess. However Raaja is as usual - genius unparallelled - must have started the "pop" usage of carnatic mrudangam from that song. Sounds cool and hip even today. Then SPB and Jency liven it up, though my ears wanted to substitute SJ in that place.

Followed it up with "Mazhai varuvadhu mayilukku theriyum" from Rishimoolam. Another 1979 gem - What a composition and what a lyrics by Kannadasan.
It is amazing progression of words, chords, rhythms - - like a fastly flowing down rivulet passing through rocks. SPMuthuraman has struggled with KRVijaya to convey what the two mavericks have cooked up in the composing session. Clearly shows how cinema as a medium has struggled to cope up with Raaja and Kannadasan.
And yaaruppaa adhu SJanaki keechu kuralla kaadhai kutharaango appdinnu solradhu? Vandhu indha paattai kelunga - evvlo low sthaayila, basela poyee paadirukkaanga. appadiye thanni sala salannu pora maadhiri oru koralla paadirukaangappa.

jaiganes
18th August 2010, 12:43 AM
Ezhai jaadhi songs - First Rate.
My pick
1- Indha veedu namakku sondhamillai - SPB - mellowed down - "unmai viLambum" version
2 - Indha veedu namakku sondhamillai - Raaja version - hopeful - positive version

Both songs are helped by very good simple lyrics

3. adho andha nadhiyoram - SJanaki special - wonderful orchestration making this song an instant classic.

4. Koduthaalum koduthaanda- functional mano + chorus number - but good.

app_engine
18th August 2010, 01:03 AM
adho andha nadhiyoram - SJanaki special - wonderful orchestration making this song an instant classic.

Fantastic song!

The saraNam part is so beautiful and comparable to any top number in TFM!

In a doordarshan program in early 90's on diwali featuring IR, this song's picturization on the sets was shown. (I think around the time when dhaLapathi was released).

IIRC, Prabhu Deva was the dance master and Shobana is on screen. They played the practice session and repeats - it was awesome. (Here is a case where Kamal's allegation of no-rehearsals can be easily disputed). The audio / movie weren't even released at that point of time.

I don't think the album / movie generated a lot of response from the public as the 'puyal' had started by then. :wink:

jaiganes
18th August 2010, 02:49 AM
adho andha nadhiyoram - SJanaki special - wonderful orchestration making this song an instant classic.

Fantastic song!

The saraNam part is so beautiful and comparable to any top number in TFM!

In a doordarshan program in early 90's on diwali featuring IR, this song's picturization on the sets was shown. (I think around the time when dhaLapathi was released).

IIRC, Prabhu Deva was the dance master and Shobana is on screen. They played the practice session and repeats - it was awesome. (Here is a case where Kamal's allegation of no-rehearsals can be easily disputed). The audio / movie weren't even released at that point of time.

I don't think the album / movie generated a lot of response from the public as the 'puyal' had started by then. :wink:
anna adhu jayapradha anna - shobana illai.
yes i do remember the program - it was a movie well known for some fiery dialogues by Liaqat Ali Khan. Raaja consistently gave the best for Vijayakanth's hey day movies.
Was watching on youtube Chatriyan title BGM - simply outstanding and pulsating.

jaiganes
18th August 2010, 03:53 AM
Use of veenai in this song(aavaaram kaatukkuL) is amazing. Simply doing what a mandolin or guitar does.
Beautiful melody.
forgotten melody from Raaja - sung by Malaysia and sasirekha(Or Uma Ramanan?).
The interludes are in a different style (compared to the trend Raaja established in early 80s).
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00057&lang=en

venkkiram
18th August 2010, 07:06 AM
சிறுவயதில் தொலைந்து போன நண்பனை இப்போது மீண்டும் பார்க்க நேர்ந்தால் எப்படி இருக்கும்? அதே உணர்வு நேற்று எனக்கு ஏற்பட்டது.. பிரிந்த நண்பன் வேறு யாருமில்லை. ராஜாவின் ஒரு பாடல் தான். 15, 18 வருடங்கள் இருக்கும் என நினைக்கிறேன். இதைக் கேட்டு ரசித்து! கொஞ்ச நாட்களாகவே அந்தப் பாடலின் ராக அமைப்பு மட்டும் மனதில் வந்து போனது. அதற்கு அப்புறம் ஆரம்ப வரிகள் நினைவுக்கு வந்தது. என் அக்காவை தொலைபேசியில் அழைத்து பாடிக் காட்டினேன். "எனக்கும் ஞாபகம் இருக்குடா! ஆனா எந்தப் படம்னு தெரியல.".. ஆழ் மனதில் படிந்து போயிருந்த படத்தின் பெயரில் பாதி நினைவுக்கு வந்தது நேற்று. உடனே திரைப்பாடல்.காமில் தேடி கண்டுபிடித்துவிட்டேன். நேற்றிலிருந்து அந்த நண்பனுடன் பேசிக்கொண்டே இருக்கிறேன்.

பாடல் என்னவென்று கண்டுபிடியுங்கள் பார்க்கலாம், கீழுள்ள சரணத்தின் வரிகளைக் கொண்டு!

தேவன் என்னும் இறை தானும் தந்த உயர் ஜீவ ராசி அது வாழ்க!
தேவன் பிள்ளை என பூமி மீது வந்த ஜீவன் என்றுமே வாழ்க!
ராமலிங்க உயர் ஞானலிங்கம் அருள் ஜோதி வாழ்கவே!
தேகம் எங்கும் உயிர் போல வாழும் ஒளி ஜீவன் வாழ்கவே!
நீதி நெறியில் நின்று ஞான நிலையைத் தந்த வள்ளலார் வாழ்கவே!
பாவம் போக பழிப் போக பண்பு நலம் என்றும் வாழ்கவே!

jaiganes
18th August 2010, 07:53 AM
சிறுவயதில் தொலைந்து போன நண்பனை இப்போது மீண்டும் பார்க்க நேர்ந்தால் எப்படி இருக்கும்? அதே உணர்வு நேற்று எனக்கு ஏற்பட்டது.. பிரிந்த நண்பன் வேறு யாருமில்லை. ராஜாவின் ஒரு பாடல் தான். 15, 18 வருடங்கள் இருக்கும் என நினைக்கிறேன். இதைக் கேட்டு ரசித்து! கொஞ்ச நாட்களாகவே அந்தப் பாடலின் ராக அமைப்பு மட்டும் மனதில் வந்து போனது. அதற்கு அப்புறம் ஆரம்ப வரிகள் நினைவுக்கு வந்தது. என் அக்காவை தொலைபேசியில் அழைத்து பாடிக் காட்டினேன். "எனக்கும் ஞாபகம் இருக்குடா! ஆனா எந்தப் படம்னு தெரியல.".. ஆழ் மனதில் படிந்து போயிருந்த படத்தின் பெயரில் பாதி நினைவுக்கு வந்தது நேற்று. உடனே திரைப்பாடல்.காமில் தேடி கண்டுபிடித்துவிட்டேன். நேற்றிலிருந்து அந்த நண்பனுடன் பேசிக்கொண்டே இருக்கிறேன்.

பாடல் என்னவென்று கண்டுபிடியுங்கள் பார்க்கலாம், கீழுள்ள சரணத்தின் வரிகளைக் கொண்டு!

தேவன் என்னும் இறை தானும் தந்த உயர் ஜீவ ராசி அது வாழ்க!
தேவன் பிள்ளை என பூமி மீது வந்த ஜீவன் என்றுமே வாழ்க!
ராமலிங்க உயர் ஞானலிங்கம் அருள் ஜோதி வாழ்கவே!
தேகம் எங்கும் உயிர் போல வாழும் ஒளி ஜீவன் வாழ்கவே!
நீதி நெறியில் நின்று ஞான நிலையைத் தந்த வள்ளலார் வாழ்கவே!
பாவம் போக பழிப் போக பண்பு நலம் என்றும் வாழ்கவே!

from movie sakkarai pandhal

vedham onga song.
correctaa?
sangili murugan film dir by gangai amaran.

Renault
18th August 2010, 09:20 AM
Use of veenai in this song(aavaaram kaatukkuL) is amazing. Simply doing what a mandolin or guitar does.
Beautiful melody.
The interludes are in a different style (compared to the trend Raaja established in early 80s).

Jaiganes, what a strange coincidence.. I was listening to this song today and thought of writing few lines. This is an awesome song, unsung though. Wanted to bring this as one of the gems sung by MV. This song is slowly catching up in my unbeatable list of Top 10 Raja songs I like forever.

This song can be discussed in greater detail with more participation, folks.

venkkiram
18th August 2010, 04:33 PM
from movie sakkarai pandhal

vedham onga song.
correctaa?
sangili murugan film dir by gangai amaran.சரியா சொல்லிட்டிங்க. எனக்கு இந்தப் பாட்டு ரொம்ப பிடிக்கும். வீணை, புல்லாங்குழல், தபேலா என சுத்தமான தலை வாழை உணவு இது. வரிகளும் நல்லா இருக்கும்.. குறிப்பாக, இரண்டாவது சரணம்.. ராஜாவே எழுதியிருப்பார்னு நினைக்கிறேன். ஒரு வேளை க.அமரன் கூட எழுதியிருக்கலாம்.

எல்லோரும் ஒரு முறை இதை கேட்டுவிட்டு இங்கு எழுதுங்களேன்!

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00573&lang=en

jaiganes
18th August 2010, 05:04 PM
Beautiful melody.

Jaiganes, what a strange coincidence.. I was listening to this song today and thought of writing few lines. This is an awesome song, unsung though. Wanted to bring this as one of the gems sung by MV. This song is slowly catching up in my unbeatable list of Top 10 Raja songs I like forever.

This song can be discussed in greater detail with more participation, folks.

this is first time for me and i am trying to picture chandrasekhar lipsyncing this duet - it has me in splits.
The song is however frame poattu poojai panna vendiya Raaja paattu.
BTW I thought of listening to 1982 songs and the first album i chose from the year was this one. so 1980s are special indeed.

jaiganes
18th August 2010, 09:37 PM
staying with 1982 - Another obscure album - Kavidhai Malar.
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00292&lang=en
The first song - Alaigale Avarudan - is quite a quirky song.
the pallavi is a sweet melody while the second interlude is a longish violin-cello tempest. more intricate than the much touted nizhalgal - madai thirandhu's orchestral grandeur. much of it is situational (hinted by drums).
However this is a very new type of song and raises the curiosity of what is happening in the movie along with the song. Again - first time hearing - the song evokes mixed emotions. I need to understand more.

The shankara ninnu song is for the funky loony tunes thread.

app_engine
18th August 2010, 10:10 PM

:oops:

இவங்க ரெண்டு பேருக்கும் வித்தியாசம் காட்டாத அளவுக்கு இருக்கு என்னோட மெமரி. 'அண்ணா' என்ன, நீங்க 'மாமோய்'ன்னு கூடக்கேலி பண்ணலாம் - வயசாகற பிரச்னை உமக்கும் ஒரு நாள் வரும்யா :-)

jaiganes
18th August 2010, 11:19 PM

:oops:

இவங்க ரெண்டு பேருக்கும் வித்தியாசம் காட்டாத அளவுக்கு இருக்கு என்னோட மெமரி. 'அண்ணா' என்ன, நீங்க 'மாமோய்'ன்னு கூடக்கேலி பண்ணலாம் - வயசாகற பிரச்னை உமக்கும் ஒரு நாள் வரும்யா :-)

vazhakkamaa heroini matterla unga memory remba strongunnu kelvi patrukkaen - adhanaala dhaan highlight panninen.
Thavira ungalukku pudikkalainna 'Idhayam' muraliya karpanai pannittu college 3rd year pora thambinnu koopudren. sariyaa?

rajkumarc
19th August 2010, 07:43 AM
staying with 1982 - Another obscure album - Kavidhai Malar.
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00292&lang=en
The first song - Alaigale Avarudan - is quite a quirky song.
the pallavi is a sweet melody while the second interlude is a longish violin-cello tempest. more intricate than the much touted nizhalgal - madai thirandhu's orchestral grandeur. much of it is situational (hinted by drums).
However this is a very new type of song and raises the curiosity of what is happening in the movie along with the song. Again - first time hearing - the song evokes mixed emotions. I need to understand more.

The shankara ninnu song is for the funky loony tunes thread.
Simply amazing song. When I listened to it the first time I was stunned by the direction it took in the charanam. Superb singing by UmaRamanan & SPB especially. It's truly one of a kind song. I heard this movie did not get released or the song was not picturized. Thank god atleast for not picturizing it.

raj_musing
19th August 2010, 08:10 PM
A mindblowing bhajan with excellent picturisation,but however never got the req fillip to make it to the top..

Revisiting the magic once again. "Namrata Ke Sagar"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z86LscyJhNY

Sureshs65
19th August 2010, 08:35 PM
Thanks to Venkiram for the 'Sakkara Pandal' song. Superb classical song but with Raja's own touch. This is one more song which seems to carry more than one raga with it. Feel the effect of Kalyani in the pallavi and in the charanam Kaapi seems to creep in. Can't zoom in exactly and that leaves a nagging feeling behind making you hear more of the song. Which is anyway good for us :)

Sureshs65
19th August 2010, 08:43 PM
One of the friends in twitter had posted the youtube link to the 'Valmiki' song 'kooda varuviya'. When the song came out, many of us including Rajasaranam and I, thought that the orchestration was very 'Rahmanesque'. The way the rhythm loop went reminded us of Rahman's orchestration. But when you watch the video you realize that Raja, as usual, does things which are required for the scene, not because he wants to compete with someone. The rhythm scene when seen in the context of the movie (where the hero and heroine go on a bullock cart and the motif of travel is present sprinkled throughout the song) clearly shows the Raja was intending an effect similar to the movement of a bullock cart, as noted by my twitter friend. Now watch this video and judge for yourself. No wonder we keep saying #RajaisGod in our tweets :)

http://bit.ly/9O8HGV

tvsankar
19th August 2010, 09:29 PM
raj musing,
Thanks for Paatu vaathiyar and Namrata ke sagar...

tvsankar
19th August 2010, 10:14 PM
Engae Ne chendralum - Kannukulale

oru Nalla Carnatic song kaeta madhiri
oru satisfaction.......

Violin is the Hero of the song....

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00748&lang=en

Sureshs65
19th August 2010, 11:07 PM
Jai,

Thanks for the 'Ezhai Jaadi' songs. Had seen a CD of this movie along with another Vijaykanth movie. Didn't buy. Time to buy that CD now :) Sj song is rocking. As app_eng said, this song didn't attain any prominence due to the raging 'puyal' of those days. I have never heard these songs earlier.

'Kavidhai Malar' comes as a CD along with 'Jyoti' and 'Ethanai Konam Ethanai Paarvai'. I remember raagas and Ananth (where is he nowadays) being very impressed by 'alaigale vaa' song. I had bought this CD and couriered it to a couple of people :) 'Jyoti' has some real freakout songs and "EKEP' has a lovely Kanada based 'vidhaitha vidai' Love that song.

Sureshs65
19th August 2010, 11:24 PM
'ooruku thekitu' from 'Kummi Paatu' in a loop. Thanks to DR posted this in the 'Song of the Day' thread.

http://thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1769'&lang=en

jaiganes
20th August 2010, 02:53 AM
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00350&lang=en

Listen to the "poonthendral kaatre vaa vaa" sung by P.Suseela and P.Jayachandran.
A melody that is so sweet and has a "soul" in it that is hard to describe. Fantastic. The second interludes have beautiful synth pipes.
Simply awesome melody and the find of yesterday.

The light instrumental melody and the progression of notes parallel to the singers singing is very unique.

Sureshs65
20th August 2010, 09:57 AM
Jai,

Surprised that you say that 'poonthendrale katre' is a new find for you. Even _I_ know that song :) Super melody. When it is Jeyachandran or Uma Ramanan under Raja's baton, it rarely goes wrong!!!

jaiganes
20th August 2010, 09:38 PM
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00066&lang=en

Listen to Kabhie Kabhie sung by TMS !!!!!
Carnatic kabhi kabhie becoming gummanguthu kabhie kabhie in the end - Raaja's pagadi and TMS's voice acting AWESOME

rajkumarc
21st August 2010, 03:14 PM
Jodi Nathigal from Anbe Odi Vaa - http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00037&lang=en

Beautiful rendition by SPB, the feel of longing and romance in his voice can never be matched. To me, the high point of the tune is towards the end of the charanam before it joins the pallavi:
இருவரும் பழகினோம்
இடையிலே விலகினோம்
காலம் மீண்டும் கையோடு கை சேர்க்க

The tune reaches such a crescendo and gently falls back to the pallavi which fits the situation so perfectly - hero who got a second chance and trying his best to win over the lady

The interludes are mindblowing to say the least, the joy of listening to this kind of music can't be described in words. That's what's making me type at 3am and no one else does this to me except IR.

If you notice the first interlude, the initial sweeping string section and fast paced flute reflect the exalted mental state of the hero which is then followed by a completely opposite slow and melancholic violin/flute which reflects the sorrow in the lady. All this happens in less than a minute :notworthy:

In one of the fan's interview with IR, he was asked the question whether anyone gives any input to the ludes. His answer was "athellaam namma raajjiyam thaan.. yaarum onnum solla mudiyaathu". That's what makes all his music special and no wonder it remains etched in our memories.

raj_musing
21st August 2010, 08:01 PM
Jodi Nathigal from Anbe Odi Vaa - http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00037&lang=en

Beautiful rendition by SPB, the feel of longing and romance in his voice can never be matched. To me, the high point of the tune is towards the end of the charanam before it joins the pallavi:
இருவரும் பழகினோம்
இடையிலே விலகினோம்
காலம் மீண்டும் கையோடு கை சேர்க்க

Rajkumarc, Thanks for this song and what a lovely composition. Never heard this song before,and to be honest fell in love with it instantly.

Sureshs65
22nd August 2010, 12:39 AM
Lovely song Rajkumar. Never heard this before. Typical Raja 80s free flowing song. Wonderfully delivered by SPB.

rajkumarc
23rd August 2010, 12:07 AM
Thanks Raj and Suresh, glad you liked it.

Listening to Uruguthey Ithayame from Nooravadhu Naal - http://thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00037&lang=en

Lovely tune and beautifully rendered by VaniJeyaram. I love most of the songs IR gave to her and this one is pretty unique in that it maybe her only song in the spooky genre. However, the spookiness is provided by the orchestration throughout and the tune expresses more of anguish.

Devaraagam
23rd August 2010, 02:38 AM
Rajkumarc / Suresh / raj_musing

There is some spl on Abae Odi Vaa, this is another album got released with tremendous audio quality in LP. especially, you can feel it when you hear kaadhil Kettathu oru paattu.

somehow I am feeling that kind of quality in Oriental CDs.

Thanks Rajkumarc, I did not hear it before with this kind of observations.

thumburu
23rd August 2010, 03:05 PM
Hi rajkumarc , yes, "jodi nadhigaL" is an all time favourite for my husband AND I. tHE OPENING HUMming by the eternal romantic SPB , guitar strumming accompanying him, and after the humming, the stream of violins that gush and terminate with keys are enough to transport us to an ethereal pink world of love.
"Anbae odi vaa" , a typical dud movie but fortunate to hold all the early 80's Raja's midas touch intact. "Kanavodu yengum" , "azhagaana pookaL" and "anbae odi vaa" are my other often listened numbers. I didnt think much of "kaadhil kettadhu" earlier, but now I consider it cute and MV as usual, dampens my listening pleasure. "thuLLum iLamai" is a cheesy , "no no" number serving as "dhrushti pottu"

tvsankar
23rd August 2010, 03:23 PM
Idhazhil amudham - KJY and VJ

one year munnadi - edherchaiyaga kaeten. Padam per marandhu ponen.

Ipodhu dhan theirnjadhu - Anbae odi vaa nu.

Nalla dhan iruku indha paatum..

tvsankar
23rd August 2010, 03:37 PM
Kangalum kavipadudhae

all time pick is - Maalai Nila

IR's voice - always Haunting....

Manjari - IR ku pidicha singer nu nenaikaren...

Bayam illama thannoda ishtathuku paadi irupanga...

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00740&lang=en

tvsankar
23rd August 2010, 03:41 PM
Sollum varai kadhal - Tippu and Manjari

Indha madhiri paatu nala dhan IR ai innum pidichindae iruku.........

Lovely Composition...........

Kaadhai valikadha oru recording......

Ethanai time venumalaum kaekalam..

No harm to our head and ears........

Shank
23rd August 2010, 07:31 PM
Anbe Odi Vaa songs were quite popular when they released especially Jodi Nathigal and Kathil Kettadhu. Raja was doing so many movies in a year back then, that it was tough to keep up.

Also interestingly, in 1984 when Anbe Odi Vaa released, Raja scored music for a film named "Uyire Unakkaga" which I believe never released.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00698.html

The one that released in 1986 starring Mohan and Nadiya was scored by LP.

app_engine
23rd August 2010, 07:44 PM
Thanks to the discussion in SPB/IR thread between Params and UshakkA, this morning's song was 'தீராத விளையாட்டுப்பிள்ளை' (நெற்றிக்கண்) :-)

Raja was in full flow during that time with his fusions - both mAppiLLaikku and this song were samples of the experimental IR at that time!

Sureshs65
23rd August 2010, 09:47 PM
Listening to 'Oru Yathra Mozhi'. No words to describe this album and I heard just 3 songs till now. 'thaimavin thanalil', 'ponveyilile' and 'manjolum raatri'. Given that it has 'karkala kannamma' and 'erikanal katril', I am tempted to say this is one of the best album of the 90s in any language!!! The orchestration, the innovations, the melody, the singing, everything is sumptuous and this is the full meal that Raja keeps talking about. I restrain myself from saying this is THE album of 90s because it was in 90s that we had 'Kaalapani' and 'Guru' as well!!!

Shank
24th August 2010, 12:52 AM
This is another track I love...Pollatha Aasai Vanthu from Kuva Kuva Vaththukkal. The prelude (and interludes) is awesome with mridangam set to a western rhythm. To me the song sounds very experimental...poondhu vilayadi iruppar. And of course, capped with a superb negotiation for the stanza ending. The vocal harmonies at the end are also delightful.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00317

Shank
24th August 2010, 01:07 AM
This has been a long standing favorite as well...Paadivaa Thendrale from Mudivilla Arambham

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00374

Stupendous guitar work!!...Period.

Shank
24th August 2010, 01:33 AM
Some more fav songs...

Kannil Ondru from Neruppukul Eeram
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00424

Naalum En Manam from Nilavu Suduvathillai
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00427

Sanjeevi
24th August 2010, 12:10 PM
This has been a long standing favorite as well...Paadivaa Thendrale from Mudivilla Arambham

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00374

Stupendous guitar work!!...Period.

awesome song, one of my favs :)

Sureshs65
24th August 2010, 04:53 PM
Shank,

'polladha asai vandhu'. Superb play of mridangam. I wonder how this man can conjure up such a lovely rhythm, very different from the typical sound associated with the mridangam!! Just fantastic. Anyone talking about fusion must first listen to songs like this to see what real fusion is all about.

Sureshs65
24th August 2010, 05:02 PM
Shank,

What a lovely flute piece in the second interlude of 'paadivaa thendrale'!! Clearly shows Kalyani, on which the song is based. Jeyachandran with Raja is always special and this song is no exception.

Every song you have mentioned is a gem. I notice all of them are from 1984. And these are songs which people probably haven't heard much!!! (Atleast I haven't heard most of them except 'paadiva tendrale' ) My situation is similar to Vadivelu's. "Oof. ippove kannakattude" :)

app_engine
24th August 2010, 09:01 PM
செண்பகமே - பாட்டிமா வெர்ஷன் - எப்போ, எத்தனை முறை கேட்டாலும் அலுப்பதில்லை!

Shank
24th August 2010, 09:55 PM
Suresh65, Naalum En Manam has a fantastic bass line...check it out.

Thanks for your kind comments. During the 80s, there were so many hit songs from hit movies, that many gems like these went unnoticed...Raja was so prolific.

Sureshs65
24th August 2010, 10:14 PM
Shank,

'naalum en manam' came out in Telugu as 'prema ledhani' from the movie 'Abhinandana'. I have heard that song quite a few times. The whole 'Abhinandana' album is a gem. (Couple of the songs appear in Tamil movies as well.)

Very true about Raja in 80s. He was so prolific that even his die-hard fans are still finding new gems!!

rajkumarc
25th August 2010, 01:34 AM
Naalum En Manam is a superb song.. one of my all time favorites.

app_engine
25th August 2010, 01:41 AM
The movie nilavu suduvadhillai that had fantastic songs such as 'pAri jAtham pagalil pooththadhu' and 'nALum en manam' was directed by K Rangaraj, who was somebody those days (assistant of BR, did unnai nAn sandhiththEn & udhayageetham with motherland pictures - the producer who got great songs from IR regularly).

This movie obviously was a non-starter (either never got released or bombed at BO).

K Rangaraj got another splendid score later on for the movie unakkAgavE vAzhgiREn, that had the classic 'kaNNA unaiththEdukiREn vA'.

Unlike ManivaNNan, the other assistant of BR, however, K Rangaraj was not an IR loyalist as he did at least one with S-G even in his initial days.

raagas
25th August 2010, 10:33 AM
One basic question: Can anyone tell me what is the meaning of the name of this thread? (i havent been visiting this thread because i am not able to get the context).

Sureshs65
25th August 2010, 12:49 PM
raagas,

I remember writing about the title when the thread was opened. In Tamil it says, " Illayaraja song that you enjoyed recently: Part 3". This is the continuation of the 'Latest Raja song heard thread'.

Plum: Can you put the translation in English for non-Tamilians?

Plum
25th August 2010, 02:22 PM
Translation enna. EnglishlEyE pOttuttEn.

(VadiVel: adhAn indha threadu ivLO sulOw-vA pOi kittirundhudhA...)

tvsankar
25th August 2010, 05:56 PM
Kadellam pichu poove - IR

indha paatuku romba romba kiruku naan.

Kadellam pichu poovu - IR

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00278&lang=en

raagas
25th August 2010, 06:18 PM
Thanks Suresh & Plum. It definitely helps :-).. atleast for me!

Sureshs65
25th August 2010, 06:55 PM
No problem raagas but where is your song now that you know the thread title :)

raagas
25th August 2010, 06:58 PM
Vennilavin Pera maatrava from Ramana: http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00558&lang=en

What an amazing composition! If you notice, all the pieces are actually the 80s Ilaiyaraaja ideas only, but executed on new instruments with absolute technical finesse that it sounds absolutely contemporary. The bass guitar (or slap bass) has such strong presence. I would rate this song and "Meetadha Oru Veenai" as two absolutely stunning fusion driven songs in his post 2000 works. Yes, there are many as well, but these two work largely within the "old wine in new bottle" construct! brilliant!

raagas
25th August 2010, 06:59 PM
What a coincidence suresh! was just writing it and as i post it, your post appears!

tvsankar
25th August 2010, 10:18 PM
raagas,
Thanks for Vennilavin. romba munnadi 3 time kaetu iruken.
Beautiful fusion...

enna enna ragam iruku indha paatula?

Devaraagam
26th August 2010, 12:10 AM
IR had done some killing numbers...this is the one from this category..whenever you hear..you will be lost...

Nee Paartha Paarvaikku from Hey Ram...

as per app, even though its from old lady.... :)

app_engine
26th August 2010, 12:49 AM
May be it's my "conditioning" problem, but the songs of HR, while decent, do not give me the kind of "total satisfaction" as in the case of regular IR numbers :-( I used to listen to them frequently when the CD came out but over the years, not much interest is left for them.

'nee pArththa pArvaikkoru nanRi' also falls in this category, though it's way better than 'rAman ANdAlum' or 'pollAtha madhana bANam'.

I'll rank it along with 'Ram Ram' (fantastic percussion work) and 'isaiyil thodanguthammA' (great singing) - good songs that can be compared with the best of any current MD but not with the good ones of IR (see, I'm not even comparing with his best / great works).

These lack possibly because of the circumstances (last minute fill-in and the songs were basically "BGM-like"). Sure it was a challenging situation musically to IR and he came out decently but the free-flowing creativity (like what one sees with even MMKR kind of album) is missing.

Any day I prefer 'annalakshmi kaiya vachchA' , 'kombula poova suththi' & 'onna vida' to 'nee pArththa / Ram Ram / isaiyil' - if we take IR-KH(direction) combo songs:-)

Ofcourse, I love pAtti singing than the pathetic HH in nee pArththa pArvai (actually, the best part is the BGM when the poem is being read out). Also, unlike many who go gA-gA over the piano score in this song, I'm not that impressed - quite average/underwhelming in comparison to what piano scores I regularly hear (mostly non-TFM).

If I compare HR with TIME (came out just about the same time period), it'll be like this:

Time - 7.5/10
HR - 5/10

app_engine
26th August 2010, 12:50 AM
oops, sorry for the long blA-blA :-(

Devaraagam
26th August 2010, 01:35 AM
App, I won't give rating to IR albums. as frequently I used to change the ratings from time to time....

I do not know its the problem with me or IR :)

Shank
26th August 2010, 01:39 AM
Some more songs...

This is a beautiful song...
Naanirukkuam Andha - Azhagiye Kanne
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00070

Terrific groove...
Pookal Sindhungal - Nizhal Thedum Nenjangal
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00435

Superb song, amazing stanza negotiation...
Mangala Vaanam - Nizhal Thedum Nenjangal
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00435

rajkumarc
26th August 2010, 11:15 AM
Poothu Poothu Kulunguthadi Poovu from Kumbakkarai Thangayya - http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00311&lang=en

I got into listening to 90s village theme based songs. This is a decent album with lot of good songs. Nice to revisit after a while.

tvsankar
26th August 2010, 11:26 AM
app,
Asha - paati nu soladhenga.... :(

two more Gems of Asha

Unnai Naan parthadhum - kannukoru vannakili

wat a composiiton............

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00273&lang=en

Meera -
All are Sweeeet ....
Pazhaiya

Oh butterfly

Pani vizhum - I love this song toooooooooo much...........

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00363&lang=en

Sureshs65
26th August 2010, 01:33 PM
app_eng,

My situation is very similar wrt to 'Hey Ram' songs except that I consider 'isayil thodangudhamma' a top class song which can be ranked along with Raja's best. Other songs have not made a major impact I would say. As you said, it could be that Raja had to force fit the song into something which was already picturized and probably did not have much leeway. Compared to the other Raja-KH albums like Guna and Virumandi, I listen to 'Hey Ram' less often and that too I listen mainly to 'isayil'.

Devaraagam
26th August 2010, 02:33 PM
good to see different opinion on HR...even though IR done it for already picutrised, I have a opinion that HR is one of the best from IR on the orchestration.

raagas
26th August 2010, 03:53 PM
raagas,
Thanks for Vennilavin. romba munnadi 3 time kaetu iruken.
Beautiful fusion...

enna enna ragam iruku indha paatula?

Sriranjani raagam!

raagas
26th August 2010, 04:10 PM
good to see different opinion on HR...even though IR done it for already picutrised, I have a opinion that HR is one of the best from IR on the orchestration.

I couldnt understand the aspect of doing songs for picturised scenes. Lets look at the film/songs:
1. Ram Ram - Comes in the end, with no lip sync - Hence it might not have been that difficult for IR.
2. Chaahe Pandit Ho - Comes with full lip sync - If IR composed this song after picturisation, he would have gone to Guinness Book of Records. Because, practically speaking, it is impossible.
3. Janmon Ki Jwala (Nee paartha): Am not sure about this song. It comes like a montage with Rani Mukherjee reciting poetry. Do you guys think, this is a lip synced one?
4. Har Koyi samjhe (Isaiyil): Background song
5. Prem Baan (Marathi Lavani): comes with shots that have lip sync and shots that dont have lip sync - This could be a song which he might have composed after picturisation.
6. Sanyaas Mantra: It is more in dialogue form.
7. Vaishnava Janatho - Lip Sync - given that this song is short, there could be a possibility that IR might have composed it looking at lip sync.

What I am trying to say is.. composing songs looking at the screen and reading the lip movement is practically not possible. I never understood the claims that he did it looking at scenes. It is believable if he did it for scenes that do have lip sync (he did that many times before all along 80s, 90s). but composing a song that obeys the lip movement of the actors on the screen - too far fetched! impossible, practically speaking!

whats your take guys?

Sureshs65
26th August 2010, 05:06 PM
raagas,

I guess you do not know the background here. The songs of the film were first composed by L Subramaniam. From what we were given to understand from the press statements, these songs were picturized. Towards the time when the film was getting ready to be released, there were serious differences between Kamalahasan and L Subramaniam regarding the compensation to be paid. Since LS thought that what KH was proposing as a compensation was ridiculous, he walked out of the film. Kamal then surrendered himself to Raja, asking him to provide the BGM and give the songs for the movie. He couldn't use the songs given by LS. So Raja now had to re-create the songs using the lyrics as well as the lip movements and the scenes that were actually shot. Yes, it was an almost impossible thing but according to all reports, this was how it was done. Going by this background, you can see what Raja had actually pulled off. Kamal did not have to re-shoot the songs. (It would have been almost impossible given that the songs had people like Rani Mukherjee and Shah Rukh, who were the busiest people in HF that time!!)

Plum
26th August 2010, 06:20 PM
I kind of back raagas here. I dont exactly understand how a lip-synced song can be set to a different tune, and if so, how different.
In a way, I feel, even if he did, it is kind of a mode where your choices are restricted and you choose. Like, there is only so much variation on tune you can do to that lip-sync and you choose one among those limited variations. Ofcourse, only a truly gifted composer can see those variations.

Unless we get to hear the LS versions, it is difficult to form an objective opinion on this. As a fan(atic), ofcourse, I'll uninhibitedly talk this up.

app_engine
26th August 2010, 06:55 PM
Usha Chechi,
Sorry if I hurt your sentiments. I'll refrain from the pAtti usage hereafter.

Latest IR number heard and ringing continuously in my ear : 'engEyO, EdhO, pAttonRu kEttEn'
(PS-SPB, nathiyaiththEdi vandha kadal)

Very sweet!

Sureshs65
26th August 2010, 07:32 PM
Plum,

Very true about the restrictions when you are retuning for an already tuned song. It will really be an interesting exercise to compare what LS had tuned and what the tune of Raja was. I am sure no one is going to release the LS version. Given the circumstances then, I do think this happened and Raja did compose for those already tuned numbers and ensured lip sync.

Bala (Karthik)
26th August 2010, 09:00 PM
Isayil Thodangudhamma - One of Raaja's very best (Singing of the highest order too)
Raam Raam - 8 shots of adrenaline and awesome singing to boot
Nee Paartha Paarvaikkoru - Beautiful song

The only bad song is "Raamar Aanaalum", which is rank bad even by Srikanth Deva's standards...

Shank
26th August 2010, 09:58 PM
I second what Suresh mentioned. I have personal knowledge that what Suresh described is true. There were also some idealogical differences besides the compensation issue.

That's why it's mind boggling to even imagine what Raja did for Hey Ram.

Shank
26th August 2010, 10:06 PM
Also, here's an old KH interview that I chanced upon...

http://www.screenindia.com/old/feb04/cover.htm

app_engine
26th August 2010, 10:24 PM
[tscii:bc50aa10bb]
Also, here's an old KH interview that I chanced upon...

http://www.screenindia.com/old/feb04/cover.htm

How have you succeeded in getting such fabulous results out of Ilayaraja?
It’s not only because of our longstanding association. I’ve worked extensively with other composers as well. This man is on his own trip. He’s a colossal talent. He saw the rushes of the film and decided what he wanted to do.

Typical of Raja :-)

[/tscii:bc50aa10bb]

priya32
27th August 2010, 05:12 AM
உனை நானே அழைத்தேனே
உயிர் நீதான் இளமானே

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00091&lang=en

ஓல குடிசையில பழஞ்சேலையில்
ஊஞ்சல் ஆடும் குயிலுக்குஞ்சு

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00445&lang=en

Devaraagam
27th August 2010, 10:51 AM
Ola kudisailey is good one. complete raining effect will be there.

raagas
27th August 2010, 12:13 PM
Suresh & others,

I know the background... the whole payment issue between KH & LS and how IR was roped in. I also know that LS composed songs and they were picturised. And that KH decided to scrap the LS songs bcoz of copyright issues or whatever and asked IR to start afresh. I read that interview long back, during the time before Hey Ram's release and that interview got me excited about the music back then. I was excited about KH roping in LS and then i read about the problem and IR's entry. I agree till here. But my question is, which songs were those that were composed looking at the lipsync? There were hardly any songs that had lipsync firstly.

Vaishnava Janatho (short song) & Chahe Pandit ho are the two songs that have complete lipsync. The Marathi Lavni has few lipsync shots and few montage shots.

If you look at Chahe Pandit Ho song, it is a energy packed song, fast paced number. Now, if LS had composed a song for that situation and KH,SRK had already shot that song, Then Composing a new song reading their lip sync and expression (according to the lyrics) is something unimaginable. And it is too far fetched. The composer needs to have same metre and same aalaap at places that would match the actor's aalaap expression (try the word "Sun Zaraa" that comes in the song). And the actors are dancing there. Thats impossible guys! The song looks like any normal song - composed first and picturised later. Because, there are no long shots to cover up some technical issues etc. All are close-ups. You can see actor's lipsync in each and every line of the song. I request you all to watch the song once and try imagining if such a feat is actually possible. I somehow dont buy it.Logically speaking, it doesnt seem possible.

Secondly, I agree if the number of lipsynced songs are more and repicturisation gets difficult. If the only song was "Chahe Pandit Ho", i dont think it would have been a big deal to re-shoot the song for freshly composed tune. Afterall, the whole song was shot in a set.

I suspect it could be the Marathi Lavni song that has partial lipsync and partial montage shots (that could have been used to overcome the hurdle)

Sureshs65
27th August 2010, 01:53 PM
raagas,

Only KH or IR or someone who has worked closely in the film can clear this mystery. As to which was an already picturised song for a LS tune for which Raja retuned. Till then we can only speculate :)

While I guess KH and LS must have broken off the relationship after this, the relationship between LS and Raja seems to be quite strong. Read an article recently which said that LS introduced Raja to someone saying that Raja is a genius.

raagas
27th August 2010, 03:44 PM
Yes Suresh, It all seems bit weird. Come to think of it, if IR really composed new tunes looking at lip-sync, he would have ended up with Guinness Book. I guess when KH was saying "already picturised songs", he meant the songs that were not lip-synced.

And yes, both LS and IR have mutual admiration for each other. IR admired not only LS, but his brothers L.Shankar and Late L.Vaidyanathan (who passed away few months ago and IR visited the family to express condolences) too. IR worked with LV infact (under G.K.Venkatesh). I dont know if IR worked with LS anytime. On the other hand, ARR did work with LS.

Sureshs65
27th August 2010, 08:09 PM
Shank,

'naan irukkum' is superb. Vintage Raja. Fantastic tune. I can't think of any other MD even dreaming this!!!

I have heard the terrific 'Nizhal Tendum Nanjangal' songs earlier based on a reco here. What a groovy guitar and sax in 'pookal sindhungal' !!

jaiganes
27th August 2010, 10:26 PM
raagas,

Only KH or IR or someone who has worked closely in the film can clear this mystery. As to which was an already picturised song for a LS tune for which Raja retuned. Till then we can only speculate :)

While I guess KH and LS must have broken off the relationship after this, the relationship between LS and Raja seems to be quite strong. Read an article recently which said that LS introduced Raja to someone saying that Raja is a genius.
He in fact pointed to Raja and told that "God of Music" is here in that function.

Devaraagam
28th August 2010, 01:41 AM
raagas,

I heard/read somewhere that, IR got confirmation from KH that, LS compositions should not be released in any format to avoid comparison. Only KH & IR knows the difference

AravindMano
28th August 2010, 01:43 PM
Raagas - regarding 'Hey Ram', I always had this confusion - what do they mean when they declare Raja composed for songs that were already shot.

On Raja's recent birthday, an FM channel here was paying tribute and was asking various personalities from TFM to talk about him. A R Murugadas, who worked with Raja in 'Ramana' mentioned about the same. He started by saying (not verbatim), 'I know people create music, but Raja sir creates magic. 'Hey Ram' composing sessions were happening in parallel at the time of 'Ramana' re-recording and when I went to meet him one day, he was composing using a piano and watching a scene from 'Hey Ram' screen. I asked him about what he was doing and he explained the whole thing of 'composing for a song that was already shot'. That particular song had Kamal playing the notes on piano and I asked him how he can create a different music in this case as Kamal was distinctly shown using specific keys in piano and he laughed and said that it's possible and played the piece he composed and it sounded totally different :shock: I was totally stunned that day'

I hope he means http://ilayarajarerecordings.blogspot.com/2009/12/hey-ram-ram-in-love-prelude-to-nee.html] this scene[/url]

It only adds more confusion as I still don't understand how this can be done :D

Another note, a similar incident happened with Yuvan and G V Prakash Kumar. A song was already shot and the director broke up with Yuvan and asked GVP to compose for it. Yuvan went to use the same song for a different film. (Raja has sung it). In one of his interviews, GVP kept on saying that only Raja and himself had done stuff like this. :D

You can listen to them here - Yuvan's song that was composed first (which was later used for another film) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn5qhxW4gRY and GVP's reverse composition for the video that was shot with Yuvan's song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBr4EX2bzNs They sound all the same to me. GVP's song went on to be a chartbuster and pity, both the composers were equally bashed for copying each other by uninitiated people! :lol:

raagas
28th August 2010, 05:21 PM
Aravind,

Thats was an interesting trivia. As i guessed, the "already picturised" story relates to Nee Paartha song. And that song does not have any lip movement by the actors. I understanding that composing a piece looking at the piano keys is no doubt difficult. But then, it is little believable (because you or me can try that, looking at a video and try to create a new tune depending on the duration or key gaps etc.. ofcourse we need about 10-12 hours to do even 1min piece like that and ofcourse, it wont be as beautiful as raaja's :-).. but thats something try-able :-) ). But doing a song looking at lip movement is something i cannot even imagine!

And thanks for those two examples. yes, there is some resemblance. but how is it that the lyrics are different then! and is it really composed after picturisation, now that the actors are lipsyncing new lyrics?

Sureshs65
28th August 2010, 08:24 PM
Listening to songs from the movies 'Illam' and 'Puthir' for the last few days. Two lovely songs to recommend. 'nandavanam poothirukuthu' from Illam and 'muthal mutha moham' from Puthir. The second one should go into the erotic Raja thread, if it is already not there. Wonderfully sung by KJY and SJ.

jaiganes
29th August 2010, 04:46 AM
Listening to songs from the movies 'Illam' and 'Puthir' for the last few days. Two lovely songs to recommend. 'nandavanam poothirukuthu' from Illam and 'muthal mutha moham' from Puthir. The second one should go into the erotic Raja thread, if it is already not there. Wonderfully sung by KJY and SJ.

First one ought to go to the funky freaky looney tunes. if not for the tune and song, but for a very funny chandrasekhar trying to romance amala.

AravindMano
29th August 2010, 05:26 PM
Aravind,

And thanks for those two examples. yes, there is some resemblance. but how is it that the lyrics are different then! and is it really composed after picturisation, now that the actors are lipsyncing new lyrics?

Welcome! Yuvan should have used just the tune and the song should have been written again. GVP should have retained the original lyrics as he was composing for the visuals.

app_engine
29th August 2010, 07:19 PM
Since HR included 'punnagaiyil minsAram' (Bharathan) in his VK songs list, decided to give a listen, for the first time.

Sweet, entertaining song!

Smooth flowing with a thuLLal thALam structure!

Then checked out the youtube :lol:

Perhaps the best picturized VK song, funny as well as slick! White background & Bhanupriya apart, the "singer-HH-like" hair styling of VK is very interesting!

app_engine
30th August 2010, 03:45 AM
திரைப்பாடல் உபயத்தில் ரொம்ப நாளைக்கப்புறம் "தூறல் நின்னு போச்சு" - ஆஹா என்ன அருமையான பாடல்கள்!

பூபாளம் இசைக்கும் பூமகள் ஊர்வலம் (யேசுதாஸ் / உமா ரமணன்)
தாலாட்ட நான் பொறந்தேன் (மலேசியா வாசுதேவன்)
தங்கச்சங்கிலி மின்னும் பைங்கிளி (ம.வா. / ஜானகி)
ஏரிக்கரைப்பூங்காற்றே (தாஸேட்டன்)

I skipped the biggest hit song, however, not my fav... (En sOgakkathayakkELu thAikkulamE)

tvsankar
1st September 2010, 11:06 AM
Kallukul Eeram

All are GEMS.

Thopil oru nadagam - Lovely Beats......

Ennathil edho - SJ

Great Violin, Great Flute Great Gutar from our Raja....

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00255&lang=en

Sureshs65
1st September 2010, 11:35 AM
Usha,

'Kallukul Eeram' is my wife's favourite album (one of the favourite album I would say) Had this on tape but lost the tape. Now I have the songs spread out in different CDs.

tvsankar
1st September 2010, 11:59 AM
Suresh,
nice to know. vera enna.. family members ku pidicha
naama inum konjam nalla kaekalam . Tats all.......... :)

Plum
1st September 2010, 11:59 AM
kothamalli poove is also from kallukkuL eeram?

Sureshs65
1st September 2010, 12:28 PM
Plum,

Yes. It is from 'Kallukul Eeram'.

jaiganes
1st September 2010, 01:48 PM
incidentally was looping through TMS singing for Ilaiyaraaja in thiraipaadal.
Couldnt come out of Vetrikku oruvan - best of the combo - all hyper imaginative songs. pity that the movie was an unbearable mess.

tvsankar
1st September 2010, 02:26 PM
incidentally was looping through TMS singing for Ilaiyaraaja in thiraipaadal.
Couldnt come out of Vetrikku oruvan - best of the combo - all hyper imaginative songs. pity that the movie was an unbearable mess.

Indha padathuku IR oda MUsic and BGMS - padam parkavae mudiyavilali.

indha madhiri padathuku - super a music pannum
IR ai enna nu solradhu................

Yar mamano - SJ - Singing style........... Excellent...
Guitar ai gavanichu, adhoda potti poduvanga....... i feel like tat........

Guitar and SJ - Gavanichu , paatai keatal - Really Sweeeeeet......

2. Muthamizh Charamae - SPS and TMS

Beautiful Interludes........ Nice ... Nice.. NIce.............

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBOLD01265&lang=en

jaiganes
1st September 2010, 09:00 PM
Paadum vaanambaadi - whattta song.
right from playing guitar and sitar together to create a unique sound to the interludes - it is as fresh and uplifting as a pristine melody can be. What I miss in modern Raaja is this virtual competition between the instruments to complement the melody in every possible way. This song is a virtual riot. I had to press "Repeat" and it happened involuntarily.

app_engine
1st September 2010, 10:13 PM
All 4 are gems for K eeram:

-kothu malli poovE (SJ / chorus)
-eNNaththik EdhO jillendRadhu (SJ)
-siRu ponmaNi asaiyum (IR/SJ)
-thOppiloru nAdakam nadakkuthu (IR/MV/SPS)

tvsankar
1st September 2010, 10:38 PM
Kozhi koovudhu

Experimental Album from our Raaja...

Village film - Pl listen all the songs.......

Village songs ku - Majestic Violins, Flute and the Guitar..............

Reality and the Nativity - idhai vittu Nagaradha Raja. Tats all.

Padam parthadhum piditha songs

1. Poove ilaiya poovae

2. Anne anne chipai annae

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00309&lang=en

tvsankar
1st September 2010, 10:45 PM
Veeraiya - SPS

Enna type idhu?

prashanth12
1st September 2010, 11:10 PM
heard this song in a scene from aan paavam. (not so great movie, but the scene is good)

then aruviyil nanaithidum malaro...

melody reminds me of poomalai vangi vanthan

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VBHVAVM0

app_engine
1st September 2010, 11:14 PM
Kozhi koovudhu

2010'ல தான் ஆர்மோனியப்பெட்டிய வுட்டு தமிழ்ப்பாட்டு வெளிய வருது - அடுத்த லெவலுக்குப்போது - அப்டி -இப்டி-ன்னெல்லாம் சொல்றவங்க மொதல்ல கேக்க வேண்டிய ஆல்பம்.

ஏதோ மோகம் கேட்டுட்டு அப்பறமா புதுசு பத்திப்பேசட்டும்!

raajarasigan
1st September 2010, 11:18 PM
Kozhi koovudhu

Village film - Pl listen all the songs.......

Village songs ku - Majestic Violins, Flute and the Guitar..............

Reality and the Nativity - idhai vittu Nagaradha Raja. Tats all.

Padam parthadhum piditha songs

1. Poove ilaiya poovae

2. Anne anne chipai annae

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00309&lang=enawesome song with fantastic interludes... in the first interlude, the violin brigade... andha interlude'a mudikkara vidham,.. IR :notworthy:

tvsankar
1st September 2010, 11:18 PM
Yes app.

Harmoniyam - IR ku vendam. haaaaaa.

Kaekaravangaluku kaataradhuku than.

IR ku paper um pencil um podhum..

IR oda experimental ellam - After all Folk songs ku than.......

tvsankar
1st September 2010, 11:20 PM
prashath12,
Sowkyama......

Thanks for the song........

poo malai vangi vandhan - kaekanam.

kaetutu solren........

app - one more vizhi

raajarasigan
1st September 2010, 11:23 PM
Kozhi koovudhu

2010'ல தான் ஆர்மோனியப்பெட்டிய வுட்டு தமிழ்ப்பாட்டு வெளிய வருது - அடுத்த லெவலுக்குப்போது - அப்டி -இப்டி-ன்னெல்லாம் சொல்றவங்க மொதல்ல கேக்க வேண்டிய ஆல்பம்.

ஏதோ மோகம் கேட்டுட்டு அப்பறமா புதுசு பத்திப்பேசட்டும்! :lol: app, andha pakkam poittu vandheenga pola...

Sanjeevi
1st September 2010, 11:32 PM
:lol:

காலங்காத்தாலே ஒரு வேலை இல்லாம

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00675&lang=en

what a peppy song. KSC & KJJ :notworthy:

Sanjeevi
1st September 2010, 11:33 PM
tvsankar,

Anne Anne Chippai Anne is my all time fav fun song :2thumbsup: and the awesome rhythm :notworthy:

I think this song was very famous than even Etho Megam. 'app' can clarify this :)

Sanjeevi
1st September 2010, 11:43 PM
காலங்காத்தாலே ஒரு வேலை இல்லாம

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00675&lang=en

what a peppy song. KSC & KJJ :notworthy:

எம்மனச பறி கொடுத்து உம்மனசில் இடம் புடிச்சேன் is almost equally awesome song :musicsmile:

எந்த பாடலும் சோடை போகவில்லை. நல்ல ஒரு சிறப்பான ஆல்பம்

app_engine
2nd September 2010, 01:52 AM
I think this song was very famous than even Etho Megam. 'app' can clarify this :)

'kOzhi koovuthu' was so rousingly popular as a whole album, with every song getting devoured by people (and devouring them). IMO, there was no question of which was received better between these two or another two - poovE / veeraiyA.

This was one innings where straight drives, hook shots, cover drives, square drives - name anything - it was executed to perfection. IMSO, this album elevated the taste of TN public in general w.r.t music listening - blurred any kind of distinctions like western / kuthu / karnatic / funky / futuristic etc.

Personally 'EdhO' was my #1 choice but tea stalls / buses / radio / general public equally accepted EdhO / annE / poovE / veeraiyA. Only pottappuLLa had slightly lower reception, IMO.

raj_musing
2nd September 2010, 09:46 AM
I have felt that there is tone shift happening when MV sings the song Poove ilaya poove.

In the pallavi the song goes as POOVE ILAYA POOVE...VARAM THARUM ...VASANTHAME and then goes out of pitch when he sings MALAR....??
I have noticed similar changes when I had the tapes of Sindhu Bahairavi where Chitra sings "Paadarien Padiparien". She sings the first bit,stops and as she she proceeds,I got a similar feel..

tvsankar
2nd September 2010, 11:41 AM
Kila kila - SPB and KSC - Coolie NO 1

wat a song. wat a composiiton...

SPB - Excellent Rendition.......

Bala (Karthik)
2nd September 2010, 05:32 PM
I have felt that there is tone shift happening when MV sings the song Poove ilaya poove.

In the pallavi the song goes as POOVE ILAYA POOVE...VARAM THARUM ...VASANTHAME and then goes out of pitch when he sings MALAR....??
I have noticed similar changes when I had the tapes of Sindhu Bahairavi where Chitra sings "Paadarien Padiparien". She sings the first bit,stops and as she she proceeds,I got a similar feel..
I think the original lyrics went like "Madi meedhu thengum thene" and "malar meedhu.." was superimposed/replaced the lyrics later...

tvsankar
2nd September 2010, 05:37 PM
Lady singers songs from IR - Always very sweeeeet......

1. OOrellam un paatu than - Swarnalatha

soulful rendition............

Excellent Violin Notes............ pesuvadhai pola.......

guitar - tooooo much Friendly................

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00441&lang=en

tvsankar
2nd September 2010, 06:02 PM
Uma Ramanan - Soft voice. oru baya bhakthi oda padara style...

Realy nice..........

Raja illai - Edhir Kaatru - Mano and Uma Ramanan

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/singer.php?page=3&SGRID=Uma%20Ramanan&lang=en&sort=song_asc

tvsankar
2nd September 2010, 06:05 PM
Nil Nil - Paatu paadava

Manjal veiyil - Nandu

soulful Rendition by Her.......

Palli Araiyil

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/singer.php?page=2&SGRID=Uma%20Ramanan&lang=en&sort=song_asc

tvsankar
2nd September 2010, 06:12 PM
Sanjeevi,
Usha sakar nae sollalam..... :)

tvsankar
2nd September 2010, 06:14 PM
Ullam Kavarndha Kalvan

All are nice.

Thaenae senthenae

poonthendral

my all time picks.........

tvsankar
2nd September 2010, 06:20 PM
en paiyan nyabagam.....

indha paatula manasu stick achu.....

Mazhai varuvadhu mayiluku - SJ - rishimoolam

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00563&lang=en

chinna expereince -

indha paatu en cell in caler tune - mazhai varuvadhu paatu dhan.

Last week il ,

Call taxi ai kupida vendi vandhadhu. Book panninen,

Driver enai kuptar.. Taxi ready endru.

Driver - ennidam pesiya vaarthai -

"Madam , unga caller tune enna paatu. epovae kaetu iruken. Naan oru Light Music Singer. side la Driver velaiyum parkiren."

Naanum padam per sonnen.

Next Ques - Yar music ....

IR emdru sonnen.

Driver sonnar - Romba nalla paatunga.........

Plum
3rd September 2010, 04:19 PM
Devaraagam's pick of the day (kaNNAthAL) reminded me of kaNmaNikku vAzhthu kUrum from aNNan(unreleased). The connect being nothing more than the fact that audio for the two released close to each other, and the two albums were in my playlist simultaneously. Bhava's voice was used well and aptly here.

raj_musing
3rd September 2010, 08:44 PM
A beautiful song from Thaipongal.As from the reviews there may be very few or literally no songs in this raga. KJJ has done his best here making this another GEM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv6fb9QuJSc&feature=related

tvsankar
3rd September 2010, 10:15 PM
Azhagar malai

IR songs - Jeera vil soak ana sweet mahdiri. konjam late a than sweet theiryum namaku.

Great Album.....

my picks are

Unna enaku - Night mood ai, thedara oru feelings... Unmaiyana idhayathin feelings ai ulla padi kodukum IR.........

Muthama muthama - Madhu Balakrishnan and Reeta.

beautiful Rendition....

209 Guitar works of IR......... very sweeeeeeeeeeeet................

2nd interlude - kills me............ wat a flow.... This is our IR.........

karugu mani - IR - Always Fan for His Voice. Tats all.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00745&lang=en

tvsankar
3rd September 2010, 10:42 PM
Vaalmiki

Rekka katti - enna solla....... endha sound il irundhu vandhalum.. ..Nativity ai kodukum Great Composer..........

Kalyana veetu Nadhaswaram - oru kuthu paataga

Thuli Jerk um illamal maarum Azaghu..........

IR ku kodi Namaskaram seidhalum podhadhu.....

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00746&lang=en

tvsankar
3rd September 2010, 10:57 PM
Karakatakari

2005 village songs from Raja...........

Ipodhum - Village Fans ai - Isaiyal - teach pannum Raja........

Enga oor Laila - Manjari and Tippu - Excellent Rendition...

2nd interlude - Beautiful one.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00276&lang=en

app_engine
4th September 2010, 12:58 AM
ஆடும் நேரம் இது தான் இது தான் வா வா வா வா
(சூர சம்ஹாரம், சுசீலா குழுவினர்)

Some sweet rhythm work and a very catchy melody. Raja in his innovative self!

Sureshs65
4th September 2010, 09:48 PM
app_eng,

Coincidentally heard 'neela kuyile' from 'Sooradamharam' today.

Hearing 'marolsavam' (from the Malayalam movie, Aa Ratri) . Raja in super form. What amazing orchestration and a freakout tune. This should definitely go into the freak out Raja thread.

venkkiram
5th September 2010, 12:34 AM
உளியின் ஓசை - "காலத்தை வென்ற ஒருவன்" - சிறப்பான உருவாக்கம்.

இருபது முப்பது வருடங்களுக்கு முன்பு இதே பாடல் வெளிவந்திருந்தால் All time classic என எல்லோராலும் பாராட்டப்பட்டிருக்கும். அழகி "ஒளியிலே தெரிவது" பாடலையொத்த மற்றுமொரு அசத்தலான பாடல்.

இரு விஷயங்களுக்காக இதை தினமும் ஒரு முறையாவது கேட்டு இன்புறுகிறேன்.

1) ஸ்ரீராம் பார்த்தசாரதியின் குரல். தேனை ஒத்த இனிமையாக, மிருதுவாக இருக்கிறது அவரது குரல்.

2) பாடலின் தாளம். சரணம் ஆரம்பிக்கும் இடத்தில் ஆரம்பிக்கும் தாளக்கட்டு ராஜாவிற்கே உரிய ராஜ முத்திரை. இரண்டாவது சரணத்தில் ஷெனாயை சில மாத்திரைகள் இசைக்கவிட்டு, அடுத்து வரும் ஸ்ரீராமின் வரிகள் "திருமண இசை ஒலிதான்" - புல்லரிக்க வைக்கிறது.

ஏன் "வென்ற" என்பதை பவதாரிணி "வெல்ல்ல்ன்ன்ன்ற" என கடிச்சி துப்புறாங்க? அதையே ஸ்ரீராம் "வெல்லும்" எனப் பாடும்போது சந்தத்தில் அப்படியே அழகாக உட்காருகிறது.

Devaraagam
5th September 2010, 09:22 AM
Listening Aatamma Therottama.....what an energetic song..freshness of swarna and music players are catching me even after 20 yrs...

'Whenever you hear, you should feel fresh..that is music" - IR. Its very True.

tvsankar
5th September 2010, 01:47 PM
Listening Aatamma Therottama.....what an energetic song..freshness of swarna and music players are catching me even after 20 yrs...

'Whenever you hear, you should feel fresh..that is music" - IR. Its very True.

Beats - idhu dhanae Raja.

LAYA RAJA...........

tvsankar
5th September 2010, 02:10 PM
Amman kovil kumbam inga - Minmini and Chorus - Aranmanai KIli

wat a song...

Mood and Feelings - Ulladhai ulla padi - Isaiyil kaatiya oru Music God...

Bhakthi mood and Feelings.... Adharkana oru serious Mood.

idhai isaiyil Unartharar parunga.. Idhu Raja..........

Amman kovil

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00056&lang=en

raj_musing
5th September 2010, 02:17 PM
I have always believed that IR has reserved some of his fine tunes for KJY.There
is one song which has captivated my inner soul for years :) The minimal orchestra,tempo and the nuances of this song makes this impressive..The magic of ilayaraja to elevate a simple tune to an evergreen pleasant melody is very evident in this song and KJJ has added the right depth and emotions while singing this.

Pottu vaitha from Idhayam..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR0AFbqlGBQ

Sureshs65
5th September 2010, 09:11 PM
'Darmaseelan' is an album that I never heard (except for one song.) This came up during a discussion with a friend yesterday. Listening to the album today. Current favourite is ' kinnaram kinnaram'. What a tune and wonderful singing. A very delicate and melodious song.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0650'&lang=en