PDA

View Full Version : 2010 FIFA World Cup™ (Part 3)

bimmer
12th July 2010, 02:50 AM
Looking foward to 2014...

Italy, France, england, Brazil, Argentina...Buckle up to provide some entertaining soccer...

sathya_1979
12th July 2010, 02:51 AM

Italy, France, england, Brazil, Argentina...Buckle up to provide some entertaining soccer...
indha comedydhaane vEnaaNgradhu :D

villan007
12th July 2010, 02:52 AM

:lol2:

bimmer
12th July 2010, 02:53 AM

indha comedydhaane vEnaaNgradhu :D

Illanga serious ah than sonnen...

Fabio Capello continuing to be the coach...and with Rooney...expecting some amazing quality early exit football in 2014 :lol: :lol:

kid-glove
12th July 2010, 02:53 AM
Robben was the only one trying? What are you talking about. Good opportunities were gift-wrapped or perhaps presented to him.. And the whole team worked hard to snuff out Xavi and Iniesta. But when they got Cesc in, it was way more difficult.

ilayapuyalvinodh_kumar
12th July 2010, 02:54 AM
there was even another competitor to Paul, namely Pauline from Nederlands. But Paul wins.....

podaskie
spain :thumbsup: ,deserved win...

sathya_1979
Doubtful if capello would continue, maybe max till 2012 Euros.

sathya_1979
12th July 2010, 02:55 AM
Having Cesc on the bench shows the quality and strength in depth of Spanish Squad.

kid-glove
12th July 2010, 02:56 AM
France did world cup + Euro double before. They got good young players coming up.

England on the other hand :lol2: I only see them approaching a big dip..

ilayapuyalvinodh_kumar
12th July 2010, 02:57 AM
Brazilians must b quite relieved now. !

kid-glove
12th July 2010, 02:59 AM
I think Del Bosque missed the trick with Cesc. All the folks who claim Spain aren't that 'attacking' and aren't that beautiful would have got more of the stuff that Spain did in last 30 odd minutes Cesc was in. That's all it took for him to make an assist, and he holds the highest number of assists in Euros and World cup qualifying. They average more goals with Cesc on the pitch. But I guess it was scripted for him to finally make the difference in the finals..

bimmer
12th July 2010, 03:00 AM
Robben was the only one trying? What are you talking about. Good opportunities were gift-wrapped or perhaps presented to him.. And the whole team worked hard to snuff out Xavi and Iniesta. But when they got Cesc in, it was way more difficult.

Really...I did not see that Holland that played against Brazil...PERIOD.

I thought Holland today was not 100%.

WRT to Robben yes he missed 2 opportunities...the same can be said about Van Parsie, Sjnider...and Elia...they just did not create a lot of opportunities.

Their passing was terrible...and the replacements were really ridiculus. what was the necessity for Parsie to dive in the 15 minute and what was the necessity to play dirty football.

IMO if they played like the way they did against Brasil then the W.C would have been theirs.

Prabo
12th July 2010, 03:02 AM
Spain :notworthy:
Holland :clap:

kid-glove
12th July 2010, 03:03 AM
IMHO, we weren't that great against Brazil and we weren't that bad against Spain. In balance of play, both teams indulged in dirty tricks. I wish Robben went down when Puyol fouled him (already on yellow) after that RVP's glancing header put him through. Then it would be Spain who would have been backfoot going onto extra time. And eventually Iniesta dived to get De Jong sent off (Who already should have been off, as should have Ramos)..

m_karthik
12th July 2010, 03:04 AM
[tscii:d67088fe39]7 yellow cards and one red card for the Oranges and 5 Yellow cards for the Reds

Interesting way to end the Finals..

Campeon Espańa - Felicitaciones[/tscii:d67088fe39]

Rocky89
12th July 2010, 03:04 AM
Congrats to World Champions Espana :thumbsup:

So near yet so far for Oranje :( Robben :hammer: 2 golden opportunities!

Bala (Karthik)
12th July 2010, 03:07 AM
IMHO, we weren't that great against Brazil and we weren't that bad against Spain. In balance of play, both teams indulged in dirty tricks. I wish Robben went down when Puyol fouled him (already on yellow) after that RVP's glancing header put him through. Then it would be Spain who would have been backfoot going onto extra time. And eventually Iniesta dived to get De Jong sent off (Who already should have been off, as should have Ramos)..
The two chances that we are talking about were through breaks. Apart from tightening up the midfield, Holland weren't on the same level with Spain illaya? Yeah, it was tight right throughout the match but Spain deservedly won...
Yeah, that was a dive from Iniesta :(

bimmer
12th July 2010, 03:08 AM

KG mappa.. :lol:

Dejong was subsituted...Iniesta dived and sent off Hetinga..

Rocky89
Del Basco sethuruvan Pola...avana keela erakunga da...Pavam
Gounder - Del Bosco vum Don Bosco vum aNNaN thambiyaa :lol:

illa Vander der vart tum Walmart um annan thambi...

BTW sathya did you enjoy the Finals...I somehow thought the last W.C finals France Vs Italy was more thrilling.

Overall Germany 2006 was better compared to SA 2010.

I beg to differ. SA 2010 is better compared to 2006. In 2006 most of the goals came in the group stages while here, most of the goals were scored in knock out stages barring Spain games and Paraguay-Japan game.

kid-glove
Overall, a decade of poor (2006) and pathetic (2002 and 2010) world cups. The next decade should better this one easily.. Easy to conclude 90's and 80's were a class apart.

Rocky89
12th July 2010, 03:09 AM
Football velayada sonna diving velayaaduraanga. Biscuit and Robben the main culprits :hammer:

kid-glove
12th July 2010, 03:10 AM

KG mappa.. :lol:

Dejong was subsituted...Iniesta dived and sent off Hetinga..

Sorry Heitinga. I got confused about this in Twitter too. But corrected there. :lol2:

bimmer
12th July 2010, 03:11 AM
The two chances that we are talking about were through breaks. Apart from tightening up the midfield, Holland weren't on the same level with Spain illaya? Yeah, it was tight right throughout the match but Spain deservedly won...

Van BRONCKHORST WAS covering well, there was no necessity to replace him with Van der Vaart...

Also Kuyt should have played..Elia was a mistake...with all due respect he is a good player, but Kuyt with his experience should have been there to ease the pressure.

Bala (Karthik)
12th July 2010, 03:12 AM
Overall, a decade of poor (2006) and pathetic (2002 and 2010) world cups. The next decade should better this one easily.. Easy to conclude 90's and 80's were a class apart.
2002 was the worst. A disgrace. Italia 90 was also dubbed as a poor one. 2006 ku enna korachal-nen! :razz:

bimmer
12th July 2010, 03:13 AM
Del Basco sethuruvan Pola...avana keela erakunga da...Pavam
Gounder - Del Bosco vum Don Bosco vum aNNaN thambiyaa :lol:

illa Vander der vart tum Walmart um annan thambi...

BTW sathya did you enjoy the Finals...I somehow thought the last W.C finals France Vs Italy was more thrilling.

Overall Germany 2006 was better compared to SA 2010.

I beg to differ. SA 2010 is better compared to 2006. In 2006 most of the goals came in the group stages while here, most of the goals were scored in knock out stages barring Spain games and Paraguay-Japan game.

I don't know I just did not have any favourites past QF...All my Favourites were emulated before...

Italy was my Fav in 2006...I throughly enjoyed 2006 Semi's
Italy vs Germany, QF's Arg vs Germany...

there were better enounters in 2006 compared to 2010

kid-glove
12th July 2010, 03:13 AM
B(K),
I agree. But in saying that, I believe Spain won deservedly (apart from Uruguay second half, didn't see this team play in full rhythm and harmony) Not that Spain were that superior. It introduction of Navas and Cesc, while we got in Elia and VDV, the former has a bit more quality than latter, and it showed in the end.

Rocky89
12th July 2010, 03:14 AM

Van BRONCKHORST WAS covering well, there was no necessity to replace him with Van der Vaart...

Also Kuyt should have played..Elia was a mistake...with all due respect he is a good player, but Kuyt with his experience should have been there to ease the pressure.

They replaced van bronchost with Braafheid, not with VD Vaart. van bronchost might has been injured otherwise no neccesity to replace him.

bimmer
12th July 2010, 03:15 AM

They replaced van bronchost with Braafheid, not with VD Vaart. van bronchost might has been injured otherwise no neccesity to replace him.

Yeah..sorry...but IMO he should have been there... :oops: :oops:

But both Stakelberg and Casillas were excellent...

kid-glove
12th July 2010, 03:15 AM
bimmer,
De jong went off to be replaced by VDV. Neengalum mabba. :lol2: Braafheid for Van Bronckhorst.

bimmer
12th July 2010, 03:16 AM
Golden Ball- FORLAN :thumbsup:

Bala (Karthik)
12th July 2010, 03:17 AM
Naan oruthan dhaan nidhanathula irukkena!

bimmer
12th July 2010, 03:17 AM
bimmer,
De jong went off to be replaced by VDV. Neengalum mabba. :lol2: Braafheid for Van Bronckhorst.

Illa KG, Iam watching the W.C with my 3 week old Daughter... :P

watching the W.C while changing Diapers

Rocky89
12th July 2010, 03:19 AM
Golden Ball for Diego Forlan. Ah perfect :thumbsup: :boo:
:D

bimmer
12th July 2010, 03:21 AM
Golden Boot Thomas Muller... :thumbsup:

Rocky89
12th July 2010, 03:21 AM
Golden boot for Muller. I thought 4 players scored 5 goals each :o

bimmer
12th July 2010, 03:22 AM

Muller will eventually get it for more assists...

I personally want Villa or Sjnider to get it. No offence to Muller

kid-glove
12th July 2010, 03:24 AM
Forlan is a class apart, others haven't done as well. Muller maybe. It'd have been interesting to see Germans with Muller against Spain, think he'd have made more difference. In any case, Spain now do WC + Euro double. They start as favorites for next Euros as well.. :shaking:

Now that WC is done with, will have to watch Arsenal friendlies..

bimmer
12th July 2010, 03:24 AM
Muller for Golden Boot :thumbsup:

kid-glove
12th July 2010, 03:25 AM
As I type, Muller wins the boot :clap:

Rocky89
12th July 2010, 03:26 AM

Muller will eventually get it for more assists...

I personally want Villa or Sjnider to get it. No offence to Muller

Oh thanks. So happy day for bookies :lol:

villan007
12th July 2010, 03:27 AM

:thumbsup: this saturday against Barnet

Rocky89
12th July 2010, 03:29 AM

:thumbsup: this saturday against Barnet

Man Utd vs Celtic on 16th July :P

villan007
12th July 2010, 03:36 AM

no this rejetted

Rocky89
12th July 2010, 03:39 AM

no this rejetted

thats for my fellow United kazhaga kanmanigals :twisted:

kid-glove
12th July 2010, 03:45 AM
The brainless British press already manufacturing a negative PR for Dutch. And it's that 'beautiful football' won. Which is alright with me. But this world cup has seen a major dip in quality IMO, and all the best players didn't express their talent enough.. Names likes Messi, Rooney, Kaka, etc instantly strike your mind. This is the worst Dutch squad in last 25 years. :lol: Yet Marwijk tried to do something there. I also thought VDV deserved to play more. Perhaps if the team were centered on him, rather than Sneijder - who to me is Lampard mark II - admittedly with improved vision and passing, we would have appealed on the eye and created more chances. VDV's pass and move suits players like RVP, Kuyt better. Robben is a bit of a one-man-show pony, but still a match winner on his day. VDV could have played more passes to him.

I digress anyway, I still maintain that English press incl. BBC should shut it. They are going over the top about Spain but need not put us down this much..

I suppose it's fair for Italian fans to say that they have been needlessly targeted on the past by English press who turned 'em into a symbol of negativity worldwide... Even when they played good football last decade than England could ever hope to (certain games in Euro 2000 especially the finals despite time wasting in last quarter when they thought match is in bag - Del Piero missed few chances on counter too and games in 2006 come to my mind)

Just imagine any other team apart from Spain ( who have some positive vibes as Euro champions and Barca players )

Scoring just eight goals - lowest for a champion ever including pre-WW2, when teams only had to play 4 games to win. - I think the English press aren't nuanced enough to go beyond stats and goals scored, so just assume Italians or even current Dutch winning it. :lol2:

And The first winner to not concede a goal in the knock-out stages. To English press, that's automatically being defensive I'd wager. They are that biased. Thankfully it's Spain and not Italy :lol2:

shajith1994
12th July 2010, 03:53 AM
Congratulations Spain :clap:
Well Done Thomas Mueller For Winning The Golden Boot and Young Player Of The Tournament :D

ilayapuyalvinodh_kumar
12th July 2010, 04:41 AM

:notthatway: even spain had too many chances. The lone fighter for Nederlands was Robben. :clap:

bimmer
12th July 2010, 04:55 AM
The best Young player IMO is Mezut Ozil.

He deserved the award for the creativity. whenever he gets the ball Germany gets a scoring Chance

bimmer
12th July 2010, 04:56 AM

:notthatway: even spain had too many chances. The lone fighter for Nederlands was Robben. :clap:

Agreed that Both teams had chances...But Robben's 2 Misses were like Vada poche kind

Kaalukku etunadhu Goal ku etalaye :twisted: :twisted:

bimmer
12th July 2010, 04:58 AM

He deserved the award for the creativity. whenever he gets the ball Germany gets a scoring Chance

Without Ozil in the Middle, Gemany would have not got this far into the tournament, even if Ballack was there I doupt that he would have performed as well as Mezut Ozil...OPINIONS Please

MADDY
12th July 2010, 06:35 AM
spain deserve it thoroughly :clap:

MADDY
12th July 2010, 06:36 AM
spain deserve it thoroughly :clap:

podaskie
12th July 2010, 10:27 AM

Without Ozil in the Middle, Gemany would have not got this far into the tournament, even if Ballack was there I doupt that he would have performed as well as Mezut Ozil...OPINIONS Please

if ozil is not played, then toni kroos would hve played in that position, he is the (NO 10) type of player, ozil is like a winger...& ballack is a central midfielder,& he is not that much creativity,but it would be too good if he played,instead of khedria....

Siv.S
12th July 2010, 10:35 AM
Congrats Spain :clap: :clap:

Robben missed the golden chance...

19thmay
12th July 2010, 10:50 AM
Spain :clap: :clap:
Paul setha peragu adhukku oru sela vaipaanga. Enga veetu baboo kooda nethu morning newspaper-la irundha spain flag-a nakkuchu... :victory:

Scale
12th July 2010, 10:52 AM
╲╲╲╲╲╭━━━━╮╱╱╱╱╱
╲╲╲╲╲┃┊◒◒┊┃╱╱╱╱╱
╭━━━━╯┊╰╯┊╰━━━━╮
┃╭╮╭╮╭╮╭╮╭╮╭╮╭╮┃
┃┃┃┃┃┃┃┃┃┃┃┃┃┃┃┃
╰╯╰╯╰╯╰╯╰╯╰╯╰╯╰╯

:rocks:

Scale
12th July 2010, 10:53 AM
netla sela vachitaangha :lol:

Plum
12th July 2010, 11:05 AM
Spain :clap: :clap:
Paul setha peragu adhukku oru sela vaipaanga. Enga veetu baboo kooda nethu morning newspaper-la irundha spain flag-a nakkuchu... :victory:

:lol:

Plum
12th July 2010, 11:07 AM
This World Cup proved to me how important fandom or atleast having a favourite team contributes to interest in a sporting event. Spain, Holland and Germany might have played beautifully/effectively but my interest in the tournament died the moment BOTH Brazil and Argentina got knocked out. Although one pretends that aesthetics is more important than excitement, and the sheer adrenalin when you have a team to support, it turns out that the primal instinct takes over and is indispensable when it comes to enjoying sport.

kid-glove
12th July 2010, 12:07 PM
True Plum. I think most fall into Brazil-Argentina divide.

Still I think Uruguay made up for them. Forlan, Suarez and co. gave 100%. For such a small country with historic pedigree in the game, always nice to see. Getting to top 4 is a huge achievement. One sees a 'TEAM' there that one couldn't see in France, Brazil, Italy, England, Argentina, etc in this world cup..

Rajaruud
12th July 2010, 12:46 PM
Congrats Spain :thumbsup:

Dutch :sad:

Robben should have scored :sad:

Only match Dutch lost in this tournament :P

Rajaruud
12th July 2010, 12:47 PM
Octopus :notworthy: :notworthy:

avven
12th July 2010, 12:50 PM
Congrats Spain :thumbsup:

Dutch :sad:

Robben should have scored :sad:

Only match Dutch lost in this tournament :P
:2thumbsup:

Rocky89
12th July 2010, 01:23 PM
So New Zealand is the only unbeaten team? :shock: :lol:

podaskie
12th July 2010, 01:41 PM
ozil chewing chiclete in style

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOYXwfu0vX4&feature=player_embedded

interz
12th July 2010, 01:50 PM
:pink: The right winner IMO. Spain tried really hard to break the deadlock and it paid off on 117th minute.

:cheer: Iniesta
:ty: Casillas

:hammer: Kung fu Jong
:shoot: Barbarian von Bommel
:rant: Snejder
:frightened: Robbens miss

:confused2: Howard Webb the referee

kid-glove
12th July 2010, 02:03 PM
# Team Manager RD TOT
1 Jimpalakkadi_Bampa

Rocky89 89 611
2 iceman utd

sivapc 63 558
3 SATs United

Satissh 79 541
4 Agent Orange

Navin. 38 537
5 Oranje delight

kid-glove 61 519
6 world XI

arsjay 61 493
7 Rajaruud

Rajaruud 62 455
8 Ruudraja

Ruudraja 63 419
9 Vikiraj

Vikiraj 51 321
10 Viki11

Viki11 60 308
11 Unicorn

Hubrocketboy 17 303
12 Shajiths XI

Shajith 9 280
13 RHAVER

rhaver 4 230

kid-glove
12th July 2010, 02:04 PM
Rocky :thumbsup:

Navin lost interest in final stages, he was doing great for most part..

P_R
12th July 2010, 02:04 PM
We need to lock this thread.

Any of you want to start a new one ?

villan007
12th July 2010, 02:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_pkYxX7VQc

Consider it done, boss :rotfl:

GOD ! :bow:

kid-glove
12th July 2010, 02:06 PM
We will continue diskassan in main football thread (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=14266&start=195)..This could be locked if needed..

leosimha
12th July 2010, 02:13 PM
Viva Espana....La Furia Roja - 2006 Euro champs and 2008 World Cup Champs... :) :D :clap: :notworthy:

Rocky89
12th July 2010, 02:21 PM
Thanks kid. Time for Fantasy Premier League. They have started the fantasy from today, with some interesting twists. Give me some time, I'll create a league for us.

Plum
12th July 2010, 03:14 PM
So New Zealand is the only unbeaten team?

appOvE sonnOmla! (ignore the England part :) )

Interestingly, will New Zealand be the only unbeaten team int his World Cup - unless the one of the teams that got 9 points go on to win?
(which cannot happen because England's gonna win this!)

NOV
12th July 2010, 06:40 PM
We need to lock this thread.

Any of you want to start a new one ?:ty: PR

Lets celebrate with another thread. After all we will not be seeing this for another four years. :cry:

NOV
12th July 2010, 06:46 PM
[tscii:35a901acce]Congratulations to the World Champions!!!

[html:35a901acce]
http://themediakings.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/2010-FIFA-World-Cup.jpg
[/html:35a901acce]

Spain won 19th FIFA World Cup 2010 for the first time in history with a 1-0 victory against the Netherlands on Sunday night at Johannesburg in South Africa.

Spain’s victory ended 76 years of waiting for the country’s first world soccer championship and it was the Netherlands third loss in a World Cup final, the others coming in 1974 and 1978. Thanks to Andres Iniesta’s 116th-minute strike at Soccer City.

Now Spain became the eighth name on the FIFA World Cup Trophy and also the first European team who achieved World Cup Trophy on a different continent.

This national team first participated in the World Cup in 1934. On the other side the Netherlands, who lost defender John Heitinga to a red card in extra time, now completed a hat-trick of Final losses.

FIFA has found their new World Champions for the World Cup 2010 in South Africa.

And not forgetting the runner-up!!!

[html:35a901acce]
http://in.reuters.com/resources/r/?m=02&d=20100706&t=2&i=147879275&w=460&fh=&fw=&ll=&pl=&r=img-2010-07-06T201044Z_01_NOOTR_RTRMDNC_0_India-499145-2
[/html:35a901acce][/tscii:35a901acce]

NOV
12th July 2010, 06:53 PM
Other Winners

Golden Ball: Diego Forlan (Uruguay)
Silver Ball: Wesley Sneijder (Netherlands)
Bronze Ball: David Villa (Spain)

Golden Boot: Thomas Muller (Germany) - 5 goals, 3 assists
Silver Boot: David Villa (5 goals, 1 assist)
Bronze Boot: Wesley Sneijder (5 goals, 1 assist)

Golden Glove: Iker Casillas (Spain)

Best Young Player: Thomas Muller (Germany)

FIFA Fair Play Award: Spain

[html:9cc9410d6f]
http://www.fifa.com/mm//Photo/Tournament/Competition/01/27/18/88/1271888_FULL-LND.jpg
[/html:9cc9410d6f]

NOV
12th July 2010, 07:22 PM
JOHANNESBURG - The hard of heart would say that there is only one true winner at a World Cup and 31 losers. But the past month and the showcase of soccer gave everyone involved the chance to grab their moment in the spotlight.

Reputations rose and fell, controversies came and went and there was even a gritty run from a resilient U.S. team.

Spain, of course, go home with the prize that all of the teams wanted, but here is a look at those who gained and lost the most during the 2010 World Cup.

Winner: The beautiful game

Rarely has there been a more physical final with the Netherlands coming to Soccer City intent on kicking the living daylights out of Spain. But thankfully, and for fans of flowing soccer, the purer footballing side won out in the end.

Spain’s method is everything that is good about soccer: fluid movement, crisp passing and a determination to keep the ball on the ground instead of hoofing it forward aimlessly. After securing a second straight major tournament, it’s mindboggling to think that we could still be watching one of the most underrated teams of modern soccer. This Spanish side is a team for the ages, but not everyone realizes it.

Loser: The superstars

The biggest names in soccer didn’t fare too well at this year’s tournament, while more unheralded heroes came to the forefront. Portugal’s Cristiano Ronaldo and England’s Wayne Rooney were the two biggest casualties, as they totally failed to perform up to their potential.

Brazil’s Kaka and Argentina’s Lionel Messi didn’t produce the goods either, and even though Messi was a surprise choice on the short list of the 10 best players in the event, his status as the world’s best player is now under real threat from Spain’s Xavi and the Netherlands’ Wesley Sneijder.

Winner: Landon Donovan

Donovan came into the tournament nursing four years worth of pain following his dismal showing at the 2006 World Cup. He was desperate to deliver for the U.S., and deliver he did.

His three goals were all vital: an equalizing penalty against Ghana, a ferocious strike against Slovenia that sparked a furious comeback and the most memorable strike of his career – that goal which sealed victory against Algeria, sent a nation into rapture and booked a place into the round of 16.

Loser: adidas

The Jabulani World Cup ball was supposed to be the most accurate in history, set to reward the most technically proficient players on the planet and produce glittering soccer. Problem was, either someone forgot to check how the ball would react to South African conditions or they thought that an unpredictable beach ball effect was satisfactory.

Things got a little better after the group stage, as teams became more accustomed to the ball’s flight and movement, but the Jabulani remains an embarrassment for the manufacturer and a folly that must not be repeated.

Winner: South Africa

Bafana Bafana didn’t last long, but the passion that the South African people showed for this event never waned. The smiles, the joy, the pride and the sparkle that the host nation gave to the World Cup will be tough to replicate.

Yes, there were some teething troubles, but in general, security concerns were largely unfounded and a nation that so many expected to fail actually put together a truly memorable and intriguing tournament. The World Cup won’t be back in Africa for a long time, and that’s too bad.

Loser: Koman Coulibaly

The referee from Mali was the blundering official who got most of the attention in the U.S. thanks to his bizarre decision to disallow what would have been a winning goal for the USA against Slovenia. He was struck from the FIFA list for remaining matches at the tournament and wasn’t seen again.

Coulibaly was far from the only man in the middle to make an error of judgment. Glaring referee mistakes littered the event – many in critical matches. Frank Lampard of England had a legitimate goal cross the line by a yard but it was disallowed, while Mexico’s campaign was cut short in large part to an Argentina goal that was way offside.

FIFA has vowed to improve refereeing standards and look into video technology. It’s about time.

Winner: Xavi

The little man from Barcelona didn’t score a goal in the tournament, but finally everyone understands just what a special player he is. The midfielder was the engine that made the Spain machine hum, allowing it to dominate the midfield and set up countless scoring chances.

After the semifinal victory over Germany, I wrote that Xavi is now the best player on the planet. It will take some pretty compelling evidence before I change my mind.

Germany's young phenom Thomas Mueller won the Golden Boot, tallying five goals and three assists.
(Gero Breloer/AP)

Loser: Dunga

It generally takes a lot for a World Cup-winning captain to become hated in his homeland, but that is the fate that befell Dunga. Sixteen years after lifting the trophy as a player, he led Brazil to an embarrassing exit as head coach and was quickly relieved of his position.

Brazil’s quarterfinal loss to the Netherlands isn’t what hurt the Brazilian soccer public the most. It was the manner of the team’s demise. Dunga’s hard-nosed tactics disgusted a nation that has become accustomed to magnificent, flowing soccer. The campaign will go down as a forgettable chapter in a proud history.

Winner: Thomas Mueller

An international audience knew precious little about the 20-year-old German before this tournament, but they sure know all about him now. Mueller won the Golden Boot for his five goals and three assists, and he was the spark behind a young German team that went on a strong run to the semifinals and won third place.

Mueller’s presence was missed in the semifinal against Spain (he was suspended), but at least he has shown Diego Maradona, who dismissed him at a press conference earlier in the year, what he is all about.

Loser: African teams

This was supposed to be the year when one African side (or more) finally made the big breakthrough by reaching the late rounds of the World Cup. Much was expected of the Ivory Coast, Cameroon and Nigeria, while even host nation South Africa was seen as capable of providing some shocks.

However, things didn’t turn out that way, with only Ghana progressing through to the knockout phase, where the Black Stars and star striker Asamoah Gyan suffered the worst kind of soccer heartbreak.

In the quarterfinal against Uruguay, Gyan had a penalty kick that would have taken his team to the final four, but he crashed it against the crossbar. Moments earlier, the team had a shot cleared off the line by the hands of Uruguay’s Luis Suarez – an action that earned him a red card but kept his nation in the tournament.

Winner: Diego Forlan

Forlan won a whole lot more than just the Golden Ball award, which is given to the tournament’s best player. His reputation, once in tatters after a disappointing move to Manchester United, is now at an all-time high after a series of sensational performances.

He was the primary reason that Uruguay managed to confound the doubters and qualify for the semifinals, while more heralded South American neighbors Brazil and Argentina fell by the wayside. Forlan probably won’t be seen at another World Cup, but he left this tournament with glowing memories.

Loser: France

The fractured story of the French team was so murky, so strange, so pathetic and so unprofessional that there is no obvious target to blame. Raymond Domenech was a joke – he had no respect from his players and no tactical common sense.

But he also had to put up with a bunch of arrogant, petulant, overpaid stars who questioned his authority and didn’t even have the decency to turn up for training ahead of their final match. A government inquiry was set up upon their return home, but it could take a long time to get to the bottom of this debacle.

NOV
12th July 2010, 08:22 PM
[tscii:bfc440d4a4]World Cup 2010: The Top 10 Moments of the World Cup

http://internationalsoccer.suite101.com/article.cfm/world-cup-2010-the-top-10-moments-of-the-world-cup-1-5#ixzz0tToHauMS

Siphiwe Tshabalala's curtain-raising goal (South Africa vs Mexico)
The opening game of the World Cup hadn’t lived up to its billing; it was a slow-paced game with little quality on display from both sides. That was until Takeshi Tshabalala was set free down the left flank. The whole of Africa was praying for him to keep his cool and slot it past Mexico keeper Oscar Perez, but he did more than that. His emphatic finish rocketed high and wide of Perez, crashing perfectly into the opposite corner of the goal and sending Soccer City into a state of delirium. Bafana Bafana were 1-0 up, and although the game finished 1-1 and the South Africans failed to qualify for the knock-out stages, that was a moment players and spectators will treasure for a long time.[/tscii:bfc440d4a4]

Plum
12th July 2010, 08:23 PM
Netherlands must be feeling quite lousy about losing a final because they played ugly football :lol:

(Basically, beautiful footballum aadi pArthAchu, ugly tacklingum paNNi pArthAchu, enna dhAn paNNinA jeyikkalAm,,, Dutch need someone like Kiran who gives idea to Riaz Khan how to deal with Vadivelu after adichum pArthu avuthum pArthappumra :-) )

NOV
12th July 2010, 08:24 PM
[tscii:a4ba149e27]4.

Sebastian Abreu's chipped penalty (Uruaguay vs Ghana)
Following three successive misses in the Uruguay-Ghana penalty shootout, Sebastian Abreu was given the chance to seal victory for the South Americans and send them through to the World Cup Semi-Final. As a legend in his home country, no player was better positioned to shoulder the intense pressure of being the fifth and final penalty taker. Many could so easily have buckled under the weight of the moment, but not Abreu.

The veteran striker displayed all the coolness in the world, stepping up casually and dinking the ball straight down the middle while Ghana goalkeeper Richard Kingston spread himself to his right and watched in slow horror as his team crashed out. His dink emulated that of Zinedine Zidane’s successful effort in the 2006 World Cup Final, and, perhaps more famously, the original version of Czechoslovakian midfielder Antonin Panenka in the Final of the 1976 European Championships. No doubt Abreu’s effort will remain deeply ingrained in the minds of his countrymen for a long, long time.
[/tscii:a4ba149e27]

NOV
12th July 2010, 08:25 PM
[tscii:bdd7b04354]3.

Frank Lampard's goal that was...but never was (England vs Germany)
Facing their eternal enemies in the Round of 16, the English had begun brightly, but two counts of defensive naivety gave Germany a two-goal lead on the half-hour mark. Then suddenly, new life sprung. Steven Gerrard’s inch-perfect cross was met brilliantly by the head of defender Matthew Upson to make it 2-1, and England were on the front foot again. Surging forward with all the vigour of a team that once again believed in themselves, the ball bounced loose to Frank Lampard whose delicate lob got the better of Manuel Neuer and indisputably crossed the line. Lampard wheeled away in ecstasy and England were on level pegging again, but the goal was never given and a horror-struck England lost all their momentum over the half-time break, going on to lose 4-1.

Lampard’s “goal that never was” surely ranks alongside the great controversies of international tournaments for England, finding its place among Diego Maradona’s “Hand of God” in ’86, and Sol Campbell’s disallowed goals in both ’98 and ’04. The following two German goals took away much of the scapegoat’s power for the English tabloids, but the question of “what might have been?” will remain hot on the lips of Englishmen for a long time
[/tscii:bdd7b04354]

NOV
12th July 2010, 08:27 PM
[tscii:b7a1f34ee8]2.

Andres Iniesta's World Cup-winning goal (Netherlands vs Spain)
There’s just something about Iniesta and his ability to score defining goals. Chelsea fans will remember vividly his scorching finish deep into the second leg of their Champions League semi-final with Barcelona, and this time it meant even more.

After 116 minutes of terrifically tense football, Spain were starting to dominate a 10-man Netherlands. The game had been building up to a magnificent crescendo, with fatigue allowing space to open up where cynical tackles would previously have been found. However, with golden chances for both sides having fallen by the wayside it seemed as though South Africa’s World Cup was going to be decided by the terrible fate of penalties.

Step up Iniesta, a man who, it must be said, has never had listed as one of his fortes coolness in front of goal. The Barcelona man collected Cesc Fabregas’ delicate through-ball before lashing a volley past Maarten Stekelenburg and sending the red half of Soccer City into delirium and Iker Casillas into a state of tears.

That the tournament was won in such dramatic fashion gave the moment a delicious sense of joy. World Cup Finals should be won by moments of footballing excellence, not through the roulette wheel of the penalty-shootout. Iniesta created that truly memorable moment that the Final of such a grand tournament deserved.[/tscii:b7a1f34ee8]

NOV
12th July 2010, 08:30 PM
[tscii:e3abc2d367]1.

The Luis Suarez incident (Uruguay vs Ghana)

Without a doubt the most memorable moment of Africa’s first World Cup. Uruguay striker Luis Suarez skirted around the perimeter of cheating by blocking Odiah’s header on the line deep into extra time. Suarez did what every other sportsman in football would have done in that situation, taking away the certainty of a winning goal for Ghana and leaving Uruguay’s fate in the hands of chance. Justifiably, the Ajax striker received a straight red card, following the award of a Ghana penalty.

In what was to prove the last kick of the game, Ghana striker Asamoah Gyan had the chance to make it 2-1 and send an African side through to the Semi-Final for the first time. Gyan had already scored twice from the spot in the earlier rounds of the tournament, but he stepped up and slammed the ball into the crossbar, turning away in horror as he realised what had happened.

Uruguay went on to win the tie on penalties, and Suarez became as much the villain of the entire African continent as he did the hero of his home nation. It was a true example of the drama the international stage can produce.

Read more at Suite101: World Cup 2010: The Top 10 Moments of the World Cup (1-5) http://internationalsoccer.suite101.com/article.cfm/world-cup-2010-the-top-10-moments-of-the-world-cup-1-5#ixzz0tTqhVDD2
[/tscii:e3abc2d367]

aanaa
12th July 2010, 08:50 PM
:clap: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Warden
12th July 2010, 08:53 PM
Sweet tears and kisses Iker deserves the saint tag :D.Not as instrumental as Buffon last term but still his saves against Holland and Paraguay were vital and he defo will go down in history as one of the finest pair of gloves ever.
Is it just me or is the non-Catalan contingent of Spain generally much more likable than their arrogant partners-in crime :?

Rocky89
12th July 2010, 08:55 PM
Well, I wont add Iniesta in that 'arrogant' category.

Atleast he paid tribute to his deceased friend, Dani Jarque. Great tribute :clap:

villan007
12th July 2010, 09:29 PM

:notthatway:

Farca = Arrogant pricks

Rajaruud
12th July 2010, 09:34 PM
Iniesta :hammer:

2-3 intentionalla vilunthaan :evil:

red card to hietinga too :evil:

Warden
12th July 2010, 09:56 PM

Thats coz of his babyface.Ain't no Xavi but hes still prone to the occasional dive and waves too many imaginary cards.
Top player though.His one-twos with Cesc contributed to all of Spain's best moves yesterday.I hope for hells sake Cesc doesnt join the Catalans any sooner.Villa-Messi-Iniesta-Cesc-Xavi is plain cheating :evil:
Get Casillas,Essien and Ashley Cole and thats EA sports world 11 :P

Sanjeevi
12th July 2010, 09:58 PM
Eampa illavu pesureengalE yArAvathu inthiya kAlpanthu team pathi pesungappA

Why India Sucks at Football (http://in.news.yahoo.com/columnist/girish_shahane/7/why-india-sucks-at-football)

A DIFFERENT OBSESSION (http://www.telegraphindia.com/1100704/jsp/opinion/story_12629541.jsp)

interz
12th July 2010, 10:19 PM
My All Star team world cup 4-3-3:

1. Casillas (GK) - Spain
2. Maicon (RB) - Brazil
3. Boateng(LB) - Germany
4. Pique (CB) - Spain
5. Lucio (CB) - Brazil
6. Schweinsteiger (CDM) - Germany
7. Muller (RW) - Germany
8. Snejder (COM) - Netherland
9. Forlan (FC) - Uruguay
10. Iniesta (COM) - Spain
11. Villa (LW) - Spain

How about yours?

venkkiram
12th July 2010, 11:31 PM
13 மஞ்சள் அட்டைகள், 1 சிவப்பு அட்டை.. ஜெயிப்பதற்காக என்னவேணாலும் செய்யத் துணியும் அணிகள்!

நடத்தை விதிகள் தேவைக்கேற்ப அத்து மீறப்பட்டிருக்கிறது.

நடந்து முடிந்த இறுதி ஆட்டம், கால்பந்து விளையாட்டு வரலாற்றில் கறை.

Raikkonen
12th July 2010, 11:36 PM
spain :cheer:

robbenland :wave: good effort, see you in brazil..

Iker :bow: MOTM for me.

kid-glove
12th July 2010, 11:42 PM
Sweet tears and kisses Iker deserves the saint tag :D.Not as instrumental as Buffon last term but still his saves against Holland and Paraguay were vital and he defo will go down in history as one of the finest pair of gloves ever.
Is it just me or is the non-Catalan contingent of Spain generally much more likable than their arrogant partners-in crime :?
I'm also getting peeved about Catalans in regards to Cesc deal. But Real aren't any saints in any sense of the word. With Mourinho, they seem more intolerable to me.. :lol:

m_karthik
13th July 2010, 02:05 AM
So New Zealand is the only unbeaten team? :shock: :lol:

Octopus :lol: :oops:

raghavendran
13th July 2010, 08:53 AM

1. Casillas (GK) - Germany
2. Maicon (RB) - Brazil
3. Boateng(LB) - Germany
4. Pique (CB) - Spain
5. Lucio (CB) - Brazil
7. Muller (RW) - Germany
9. Forlan (FC) - Uruguay
11. Villa (LW) - Spain

:cool2:

19thmay
13th July 2010, 09:40 AM

1. Casillas (GK) - Germany
2. Maicon (RB) - Brazil
3. Boateng(LB) - Germany
4. Pique (CB) - Spain
5. Lucio (CB) - Brazil
7. Muller (RW) - Germany
9. Forlan (FC) - Uruguay
11. Villa (LW) - Spain

How about yours?

Casillas is from Spain isn'it? :?

interz
13th July 2010, 01:48 PM
Yes u are right. My bad. I got too enthusiastic about Germans.

leosimha
13th July 2010, 02:59 PM
Casillas' gift to lady love Sara - a kiss in front of camera

2010-07-12 22:24:21

Spain's captain Iker Casillas raises the World Cup trophy as he leaves the ...

Johannesburg: An emotional World Cup winning captain Iker Casillas could not hold back tears when television presenter Sara Carboneroin, who also happens to be his girlfriend, asked him in a live interview how he felt after the triumph.

Casillas looked at her with moist eyes even as Sara, who was blamed for the team's loss in the opening game against Switzerland, gave him some time to compose himself in front of the camera in the wee hours Monday.

But Casillas took her by surprise when he grabbed and kissed her, saying: "No. this is what I want to do." :shock: :oops:

Sara, who works for Spanish channel Tele-5, has been the talking point after European champions Spain stumbled in the first match. Sara was spotted close to the goalkeeper, who was giving her pre-match updates, from right behind the goal. :shock:

Her sideline antics had drawn a lot of criticism and Sara was accused of distracting the goalkeeper, who fumbled and conceded a goal against the Swiss.

Since then Sara, who was once voted as the sexiest television anchor, had maintained a low profile and was hardly seen at team's practice sessions. And now Casillas is a hero after bringing off a couple of great saves in the final. He was named the goalkeeper of the World Cup and received the Golden Glove.

Spanish fans found her missing Sunday when the match was on.

"Her absence was a blessing in disguise for the team, otherwise we could have lost the match," a delighted fan Pedro Camanora, who came all the way from Madrid, told IANS.

Juliana Joseph, from Barcelona, concurred. "She can do whatever she likes with Casillas now. But in the first match she was a distraction for the captain." :rotfl: :lol:

Link - http://sify.com/sports/casillas-gift-to-lady-love-sara-a-kiss-in-front-of-camera-news-football-khmwyveacih.html

podaskie
13th July 2010, 05:42 PM
Team of the Tournament

Goalkeeper: Iker Casillas - Spain

Widely viewed as one of the top three goalkeepers in world football,alongside Gianluigi Buffon and Julio Cesar, Casillas has lead Spain to their first triumph on football's grandest stage.

Casillas didn't concede a goal in the knock-out stages as Spain won their final four-games all by one goal to nil. He made a crucial penalty save from Oscar Cardozo in the quarter-final victory over Paraguay and made two crucial saves when faced one-on-one by Arjen Robben in the final itself.

Right Back: Philipp Lahm - Germany

The Bayern Munich defender was named as Germany captain in the absence from the tournament of Michael Ballack and Lahm was impeccable throughout.

Mixing a sense of adventure going forward, especially in the 4-0 demolition of Argentina, and some faultless defensive displays, Lahm typified Germany at the finals.

Left Back: Fabio Coentrao - Portugal

The 22 year-old has only been playing as a left-back for 10 months but you wouldn't know it by his performances during his four matches in South Africa.

Unable to break into the Benfica side in his natural left-wing position, Benfica boss Jorge Jesus converted Coentrao into a left-back and the player has since made the position his own for both club and country.

Hugely talented with the ball at his feet, and able to hold his own defensively, Coentrao was arguably not only Portugal's best player, but the best left-back at the finals.

Centre Back: Carles Puyol - Spain

The Spain defender was imperious throughout the course of the finals, and was a key reason as to why Spain only conceded twice during the entire tournament.

Always happy to make a last ditch tackle, perhaps the Barcelona skipper will look back on his semi-final header against Germany as his favourite moment of the tournament, when he rose to meet a Xavi corner for only his second goal in a Spain shirt, which gave Spain a place in it's first World Cup final.

Centre Back: Diego Lugano - Uruguay

The Uruguay captain lead by example throughout the tournament as the domineering defender marshalled his sides defence with the authority of a War General.

Aided by Villarreal defender Diego Godin, Lugano laid the defensive foundations from which Uruguay built as they finished in fourth place overall.

Holding Midfield: Bastian Schweinsteiger - Germany

Has there been a more improved player in the last 12 months than the Bayern Munich midfielder?

Known more for his bleached hairstyles than his performances on the field back in the day, now 25 the former winger has been converted - credit must go to Bayern boss Louis van Gaal - into a sitting midfielder who is always available for the ball and rarely gives it away.

With 81 caps to his name the midfielder was one of the players of the tournament, on the back of a terrific season with his club, and must be saluted for his performances as Germany destroyed both England and Argentina in consecutive matches.

Centre Midfield: Andres Iniesta - Spain

Scorer of the winner in the final, the impish Barcelona midfielder endured a nightmare season with his club thanks to a succession of injuries.

However, back to fitness, the talented schemer, grew as the competition got into its latter stages and he certainly left his mark on the competition.

A sublime goal in the must-win group game against Chile, he was outstanding against both Portugal and Paraguay, before a man-of-the-match performance against the Dutch to round off the tournament.

Centre Midfield: Xavi - Spain

Iniesta's partner in crime, Xavi simply is the cleverest footballer in world football right now.

The pivot in the Spain side around which everyone else revolves, his ability to keep possession of the ball is unrivalled, and his individual performance in the semi-final win over Germany, where he gave the ball away only once, was outstanding.

Indeed in the final, despite attempts to rough him up and disturb his flow, he only gave the ball away three times in 120 minutes.

Goes about his work in an unfussy manner, yet with a quiet authority to the point that when he asks for the ball, he gets it instantly.

Right Forward: Thomas Muller - Germany

Hands up, who had heard of Thomas Muller twelve months ago?

The 20 year-old has had a whirlwind 12 months, resulting in him ending as the Golden Boot winner at the World Cup with five goals and three assists.

Has the same knack as the legendary Gerd Muller of being in the right place at the right time, the young forward now boasts a highly impressive record international record (8 caps, 5 goals).

His combination of pace, power and technical ability saw him named as FIFA's Young Player of the Tournament.

Left Forward: David Villa - Spain

The new Barcelona signing was a integral part of the Spain side that won the trophy.

Playing mostly from the left, at least when an out-of-sorts Fernando Torres played, Villa scored match winners against Honduras, Portugal and Paraguay aswell as scoring and getting an assist in the important group stage win over Chile.

His pace, trickery and ability to shoot accurately lead to him always being a threat.

Centre Forward: Diego Forlan - Uruguay

The Uruguay star was named as FIFA's Player of the Tournament, an award that few can argue with.

With five goals and two assists to his name, Forlan was the brains behind the South American sides charge to the semi-finals,some will argue that he carried the side there almost single-handedly, and his performance in the 3-0 demolition of South Africa was probably the best individual performance of the tournament.

Subs: Eduardo (Portugal), Sergio Ramos (Spain), Arne Freidrich (Germany) Wesley Sneijder (Netherlands), Arjen Robben (Netherlands), Mesut Ozil (Germany), Gonzalo Higuain (Argentina)

podaskie
13th July 2010, 05:48 PM
[tscii:9d9b939ae9]World Cup 2010: good, bad and ugly

The first World Cup on African soil is over. So, what will we remember from the tournament? Sports Editor Steven Beacom picks out his best and worst of the competition

Best game: Not many to choose from. My choice is Germany 4-1 England. That was an incredible game, full of drama, even if England’s quality was sadly lacking. Slovakia 3 Italy 2 was exciting in the group stages and Uruguay beating Ghana on penalties was also entertaining.

Worst game: Too many to choose from. England 0-0 Algeria was up there but I’m going for Brazil 0-0 Portugal.

Best team performance: Germany 4-0 Argentina. Awesome.

Worst team performance: France win this for their shameful attitude on and off the pitch throughout the tournament.

Unlikely heroes: Uruguay were up there and I enjoyed watching Chile but New Zealand get my vote. They were supposed to be the whipping boys but drew every group game and were desperately unlucky not to make the knockout stages. And I love this: New Zealand were the only team not to lose a game at World Cup. Also Paul the Octopus, the best tipster ever. I hear he’s going for Rory McIlroy in the Open!

Best player: Thomas Muller (Germany). What a find he is. Had he not been suspended for the semi-final with Spain, Germany may have won the thing.

Most disappointing player: How long have you got? Wayne Rooney wins the flop of the tournament and he had plenty of competition including World Cup winner Fernando Torres.

Best save: The most important was the Iker Casillas’ stop to deny Arjen Robben in the final. The best though was the acrobatic effort from Uruguay’s Luis Suarez to stop Ghana beating them in the quarter-finals. Come on, what else was he supposed to do?

Worst ‘save’: Many will say Suarez’s. I’m going for Robert Green’s howler against USA.

FIFA’s biggest foul-up: Not having goal-line technology. I doubt it would have made any difference to the outcome but Frank Lampard’s ’goal’ against Germany should have stood and would have have done but for FIFA’s desire to live in the past.

Best goal: Andres Iniesta’s finish in the final was top class, but the best strike came from Holland’s retiring captain Giovanni van Bronckhorst in their semi-final triumph over Uruguay.

Worst penalty: Asamoah Gyan’s strike which hit the bar in Ghana’s game with Uruguay. It came after Suarez’s handball and was the last kick of extra-time. It could have sent the Africans into the semi-finals.

Best penalty: The same player showed bottle by stepping up in the penalty shoot-out and smashing home the perfect spot-kick, though it didn’t prevent his side from losing.

Best entertainment: Spain’s passing game and Germany’s brilliant football on the break, but the most entertainment was provided by Argentina boss Diego Maradona, on the touchline or in press conferences. After being criticised by Pele and Michel Platini, he countered: “I would tell Pele to go back to the museum. I'm not surprised by what Platini said. I always had a distant relationship with him. We all know what the French are like and Platini is French. He thinks he is better than the rest. I pay no attention. These two — have they nothing more important to do than talk rubbish about me?”

Worst entertainment: Holland’s rough house tactics in the final. A total disgrace.

Best coach: This may surprise you but I’m going for Joachim Low of Germany for bringing together a bunch of youngsters with a few old timers and getting them to gel so superbly.

Worst coach: I’ll give it to France’s Raymond Domenech, just ahead of Fabio Capello.

Best moment: Andres Iniesta’s fantastic finish in the final, ensuring justice was done.

Team of the tournament: Casillas (Spain), Ramos (Spain), Lugano (Uruguay), Puyol (Spain), Coentrao (Portugal); Iniesta (Spain), Schweinsteiger (Germany), Sneijder (Holland), Muller (Germany): Villa (Spain), Forlan (Uruguay). Subs: Stekelenburg (Holland), Mensah (Ghana), Xavi (Spain), Ozil, Klose (both Germany)

Overall verdict: It was not a classic tournament. Not enough goals, negative play and too many big name failures. It did have its high quality moments but they were few and far between. Ultimately the best team won — let’s be thankful for that.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/columnists/steven-beacom/world-cup-2010-it-was-good-bad-and-ugly-14874727.html#[/tscii:9d9b939ae9]

leosimha
13th July 2010, 06:20 PM
here go for the video...

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2010/07/12/no-distraction-here-casillas-plants-one-on-carbonero/

:)

NOV
14th July 2010, 06:39 PM
Latest FIFA world ranking: 1)ESP 1,883 pts. 2)NED 1,659 pts. 3)BRA 1,536 pts. 4)GER. 5)ARG