PDA

View Full Version : Which non-indian film u saw recently has made u post here???

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

raghavendran
7th July 2010, 03:27 PM
lets start again

rangan_08
7th July 2010, 06:47 PM
[tscii:dfac54f453]Saw “Baran”, Iranian film directed by Majid Majidi, thanks to Makkal TV. Another classic from the auteur. His clear focus over the subject & treatment needs appreciation. Simple yet powerful characters, subtle performance, realistic locations and excellent direction.

Though it looks like a simple love story between an Iranian boy and an Afghan girl, the movie conveys an altogether different feel, at the end. The director, I believe, wanted to show the plight of Afghan refugees in Iran and he has cleverly used a love story kind of feel to register his sentiments. Nothing is forced on the audience and everything takes place naturally. Just a shade of the struggle the people undergo is shown, but we can feel the intensity. He has given the movie a very soft feel which ironically, reveals hard and plain truth.
[/tscii:dfac54f453]

raghavendran
7th July 2010, 06:57 PM
its gr8 that lot of other country films r being aired on tamizh channels..even world movies and mgm gives us the oppurtunity to watch other countries films

rangan_08
9th July 2010, 06:45 PM
its gr8 that lot of other country films r being aired on tamizh channels..even world movies and mgm gives us the oppurtunity to watch other countries films

Yes, your'e right. Captain TV is all set to air World movies shortly and clippings from Pianist, Bicyle thief etc., are being advertised now.

kid-glove
9th July 2010, 06:46 PM
:clap:

ajithfederer
9th July 2010, 08:06 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1490675/

Google Baby - Anybody seen this??/.

ajaybaskar
10th July 2010, 01:44 AM
Knight and Day

Second disappointment of the day after A.V. Recommended only for Diaz fans..

varunlss12
10th July 2010, 04:33 AM
The Color of Paradise

The Color of Paradise, is an Iranian film directed by Majid Majidi.
The story is around a blind boy.He comes from his blind school for vacation to his home.
His father like him very much but he dissapoints to see his son being a blind so he decides to get away.And then the Climax.
Starting scene when the boy helps a bird and climax are master piece of director.
And the boy scores in his acting.Simple and superb cinematography.And good script with gripy screen presences.

Siv.S
10th July 2010, 11:39 AM
Before the devil knows you're dead- good..worth a watch.. the scenes shown from various point of view and the non-linear screen play made the movie a good thriller drama :thumbsup:

Cinefan
10th July 2010, 12:38 PM
Avatar:A remarkable combination of technological excellence and masterful story telling.Idhukku mele solradhukku onnum ille.

A pity I missed this on the big screen that too in 3D.There is a talk of a re-release next month,paarkkanum!

raghavendran
10th July 2010, 01:22 PM
Knight and Day

Second disappointment of the day after A.V. Recommended only for Diaz fans..ajay
that film is getting tremendous response and reviews overseas...dissapointmenta? :shock:

Wibha
11th July 2010, 10:49 AM
Despicable Me- :D :D

Raikkonen
11th July 2010, 01:48 PM
Predators - :2thumbsup:

Best entry since the amazing Arnie orginal. More like a direct sequel. Brody :shock: :bow: and i thought noone could replace Arnie. Brody was awesome.

Detailed review coming soon in horrors thread.

ajaybaskar
12th July 2010, 01:10 AM
Exam

Reasonably good movie.. Except for Jimi Mistry, there are'nt any known actors. But is watchable for a different and thoughtful plot.

P_R
12th July 2010, 01:37 PM
Queens (spanish)

Quite funny.

Didn't catch the - pardon the pan - fag end though.

Sarna
12th July 2010, 08:24 PM
Queens (spanish)

Quite funny.

discounting uncouth occurrences, the film is really funny to watch :lol:

// btw, neengalum worldmovies channel fan'aa ? lumier channel is also playing some good(not like queens :wink: ) and interesting movies ... try pannunga :) //

ajithfederer
12th July 2010, 09:59 PM
[tscii:47c15f9b77]BERN, Switzerland – The Swiss government declared renowned film director Roman Polanski a free man on Monday after rejecting a U.S. request to extradite him on a charge of having sex in 1977 with a 13-year-old girl.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/roman_polanski

A snub of the highest order. [/tscii:47c15f9b77]

kid-glove
12th July 2010, 10:08 PM
Mr Polanski, now that you're free - please, release The Ghost writer DVD ASAP :sigh2: Can't wait to watch it. Didn't even get a major release despite you being the contemporary master of suspense/thrillers..

Dinesh84
13th July 2010, 02:37 PM
K-PAX nu oru padam download pannirukaen.. paarkalaama? yaaravathu paarthurukengala?

indha padatha download panlama nu kepaanga..neenga enna vithiyasama ..download panniruken...pakata nu kekureenga?
:oops: actually antha padatha download pannala.. my friend gave it to me.. :noteeth: athaan appadi kaetaen..

watched it yesterday.. a good on the whole.. have to watch other movies directed by "Iain Softley".. It seems like Vasool Raja /Munnabai MBBS took some inspiration from this movie..

jinju
16th July 2010, 11:53 AM
Before the devil knows you're dead

thanks for this recco ajay...gripping movie...sidney lumet indha agelayum in top form... :clap:

Sarna
16th July 2010, 12:20 PM
Ultraviolet - great movie for science fiction/action film lovers :pink:

Milla Jovovich - dangerous beauty :slurp: have seen Fifth element, Resident evil :pink:

ilayapuyalvinodh_kumar
17th July 2010, 12:23 AM
Hi guys. These days i'm much attracted towards Hollywood's Action, Sci-Fi and Fantasy movies. Have to watch some DVD's. Pls give me some suggestions of blockbuster movies and popular ones. No Horror and Ghostly movies pls. My latest watch is Spiderman and Scorpion King :ashamed:

littlemaster1982
17th July 2010, 01:13 AM
Kick Ass - One of the most outrageous films I have seen. It was good fun, though.

Nerd
17th July 2010, 01:43 AM
Kick Ass - One of the most outrageous films I have seen. It was good fun, though.
LM, neenga inception pOgalaiyaa? When watching?

littlemaster1982
17th July 2010, 02:08 AM
Tomorrow afternoon, Nerd. Didn't get the tickets for today.

tamizharasan
19th July 2010, 09:25 PM
Mullholland Drive: Arguably toughest movie to understand. If anyone has seen this movie let me know, I would like to discuss this movie.

Nerd
20th July 2010, 02:23 AM
Mullholland Drive: Arguably toughest movie to understand. If anyone has seen this movie let me know, I would like to discuss this movie.
idhellaam anubakikkanum, aaraaya koodaadhu :-)

tamizharasan
20th July 2010, 04:10 AM
That means you saw the movie and liked it.

ajaybaskar
20th July 2010, 01:46 PM
Undisputed 2 & 3.

On par with Bloodsport and Kickboxer. A definite watch for martial arts fans..

Do we have a separate thread for action movies?

P_R
20th July 2010, 01:59 PM
I saw Eraserhead.

kthxbai 'mbaingaLE

kid-glove
20th July 2010, 02:58 PM
kthxbye :wave:

P_R
20th July 2010, 03:03 PM
Ahn...oru pEchchukku sonnA udanE reparteedaradhA?
naan avvaLO gendilmEnA irundhA yEn inga varEn :twisted:

Dinesh84
23rd July 2010, 12:15 PM
Watched "The Karate Kid(2010)"..
The film was good in some parts where the boy reads a letter to hus friend Mei in Chinese.. and then the story is very much predictable during the end.. Are they promoting tourism in China? :roll:

With much anticipation i started watching the movie, but was disappointed :(

PS: i have not watched earlier versions of The Karate kid

groucho070
26th July 2010, 06:59 AM
Coraline (2009)

Beautiful. Fanstastic. How come I missed it first time around? :shock:

GM: Dey, ithe kelviya ettana tadavadaa ketpa?

Prabo
26th July 2010, 03:01 PM
Kick Ass V2.0 - Action sequences and soundtracks are cool 8-)

Cinefan
27th July 2010, 01:30 PM
Alvin and the chipmunks-2-Got this for my son who said he will watch later and slept while I ended up watching the whole thing :D

Good animation of the chipmunks and chippettes with equally good voice overs.Had a few dull moments but quite enjoyable overall ,even for adults.

kid-glove
28th July 2010, 02:54 AM
The Ghost Writer (Polanski, 2010) :notworthy:

Best English language film of the year to me, so far :thumbsup: Better than Shutter as the 'Island' film of the year. Better than both Shutter Island and Inception (Nolan could learn a thing or two about efficient, economical architectural usage by Polanski) as a thriller. Neither emotionally cathartic as former, nor relatively insular, and elliptical as latter. Nor is the emphasis on unreliable protagonist, lest of all distorted information!

Polanski proves his formalistic eclecticism is always servicing the story, and never goes against it. Minimalistic soundtrack as usual. I said many times, Polanski is the living master of suspense. While no Hitchcock, you've got to hand it to him in his mis-en-scene and control of narrative in its tone & pacing. By the end of narrative, you'd have experienced something haunting, visceral and incisive - in both visual and aural form.

One of the sufficiently palpable climaxes I could remember from a Polanski film, as I think most of his scripts often loses the trick by its denouement. No cheap ellipsis in name of ambiguity here. Polanski is far too assured of his craft..

Given time, I'll probably choose this to be among his best works. It might not be a Noir classic like Chinatown, but still as a thriller it's a vast improvement on Frantic (which is still a gripping narrative for most part, about two third of the film to be precise!) and Ninth Gate (that's again tonally messed up by occult satanism & surreal overtones towards the end), as aforementioned the last act of these films spoil the prescient buildup. But The Ghost Writer is well etched out, and everything seems in place - especially the agoraphobic mood of the place and the inscrutable feeling the character goes through. And when thrillers could be emotionally accessible (admittedly, figuratively speaking, the impulsive feel isn't distorted as much as the 'informed' intellect), it's often a plus - I much prefer The Ghost Writer and Frantic over Ninth Gate in this regard. Overall, TGW over Frantic and Ninth Gate for me. Like how Rosemary's baby trumps both Repulsion and The Tenant in Apartment trilogy. Even if I'm not comfortable in rating it over Chinatown, Rosemary's baby and The Pianist (again a major work!) , I'd say it's at least on par with Bitter Moon, Macbeth (oddly revoked in The Ghost Writer through the Missus of quasi-exiled ex-Prime Minister), and Death and the Maiden. Among first person narrative and a neo-noir, this seems more in spirit of Chandler(and this is always good news to this noir fan) than Hammett and Cain

In conclusion, a fine film by one of the finest 'filmmakers' who deserves material like this (I sincerely hope he collaborates more with Robert Harris). It's often the written material that faulters. And yet, Polanski isn't one of the types who fall into what Mr.Peter Greenaway refers to as "105 Years of illustrated Text". I've never seen a bad film by Polanski including What?, Pirates and Oliver Twist. He's that good.

PARAMASHIVAN
29th July 2010, 08:18 PM
Has anyone seen the 'Karate kid' or the 'The A Team' ?? any good :roll:

Cinefan
30th July 2010, 10:39 AM
Night at the musuem-2:The first part had an innovative concept and was a riot.

This one as with most sequels tries to stretch the idea without the same effect.A bit gimmicky at times and not as interesting as Part 1 but still an enjoyable watch,no doubt.

A Few Good men:Hair rising film.Can't believe how I missed this all these years.Brilliant court room drama with arresting performances by Jack Nicholson and Tom Cruise.Demi Moore was a bit underwhelming,though.

Plays to the gallery at times but works out huge.

Must watch.

Sarna
30th July 2010, 10:47 AM
Josie and the pussycats - cool entertainer :cool2:

kid-glove
30th July 2010, 01:45 PM
Watched "Bitter Moon" again - There isn't a better film to pass a serious comment on sex games & kinky macabre without turning campy! Polanski's direction is as usual faultless, the way he keeps the dialogues flowing is often overlooked. He's very effective in using the narrative v-o here. The story within a story is delicately transitioned. The way he keeps his formal powers in check (The camera's movement is as gentle and elegant as it could be!) and tries to keep sight of the emotional sinking at center of each character, and relationship..

Young looking Hugh Grant is less annoying here (Thankfully). But it's the astonishing performance of Peter Coyote that we're haunted by!

Dinesh84
30th July 2010, 01:47 PM
Josie and the pussycats - cool entertainer :cool2: 8-) yesterday on TV?

Sarna
30th July 2010, 02:21 PM
Josie and the pussycats - cool entertainer :cool2: 8-) yesterday on TV?

yes :)

Puliyan_Biryani
31st July 2010, 12:25 AM

Karate Kid: Average and quite predictable. Since the movie is about the kid, it had only one Jackie Chan fight sequence. Loved the Chinese girl's dance though.

The A Team: Above average. Action-packed, fun film without a dull moment. Worth watching once.

kid-glove
31st July 2010, 06:59 PM
Major Spoilers on "The Ghost Writer" ending, An exchange in twitter kept me thinking. I mused a bit on why it actually worked here.

Listening to Berlin press conference with writer Robert Harris and reading another one of his interview, made it clear that the original novel is narrated by the dead. So with this knowledge, I watched the film and didn't feel manipulated by the ending. But I'm arguing why even otherwise it should work in harmony with the film's theme and characterization. Firstly, McGregor's character (presciently unnamed as 'Ghost') is filling-in for two dead men here (one already in mysterious circumstances, and other about to be) On one hand, the Ghost is replacement for Mike, the preceding writer and suggested to be secretive lover(!) of the fatalistic femme, Ruth, and on the other, he's also the Ghost writer of the fall guy, Lang himself, who is maneuvered in both political and personal life by Ruth! Writer Robert Harris revealed how they thought of conceiving a narrative on lines of Sunset Blvd. But they unitedly chucked the voice-over pedagogy as the film would be better served by its inscrutable mood, and the filmmaker is one of the best in setting up suspenseful scene after another. But also in this sense of mystery, keeping the audience in conjunction with the ghost thro First person point of view. Polanski's technique is in making the lens as Agoraphobic and voyeuristic, but also going along with the character that gives a suspensive allure. The mutual feeling (b/w audience and the protagonist) is of being constantly unsettled. In every little disclosure, The Ghost isn't fully sure, and his allegiance is all over the place. He has no hang of it yet terrains in his self-importance. As Ruth teases him as at one point, in spite of aspirations, he's hardly a 'proper writer'. When it comes to the delusion of putting the piece together with the published book (shortly after Lang's death). And in the book release, it's Amelia's tip that turns the table on its head. The Ghost had it in his hands, but he couldn't scrutinize it on his own. He doesn't know what to make of it. There's little or nothing he could do on his own. He's allegorically a Ghost, after all. There's no bodily form here. The character ghosts through the events on notes left over by his predecessor Mike, the GPS of the car, the phone number, Amelia's pointer, and what have you. He's less aware and less intelligent than we'd like to assume. Yes, he escapes out of the Ferry, but isn't it again informed by the knowledge of his predeccesor's fate?! He doesn't attempt to guess the password (after going over all the memoirs, one would assume there'll be something in there to pick on), and when the security drill intervenes, he naively flees the room fearing it's his action that caused it. This is one of the most inert protagonists, a lot less interactive than private eye Jake in Chinatown, the commoner husband in Frantic or the book detective in Ninth Gate. A passive being (who mostly functions as a narrative viewpoint!) calls itself to be vaporized after cracking the puzzle, perplexity and confusion down the road would lead to its 'doom' (as he talks about one of his ex-, the woman is more than just a girlfriend and yet less than being a wife - perhaps foreboding his relationship with Ruth?!) And in making it off-camera, The Ghost leaves without trace. And Polanski isn't alluding to predestined 'fate', but equally towards the absurdity of 'accidental' turns that makes it 'seem' preordained than it actually is. Perhaps such is the nature of the world we live in. While it offers a strong polemical on America, it's also censor of information. We're left with ciphered memoirs. It's strewn and scattered around with void of nature itself. That's the lasting imagery the film leaves one with. And to this particular viewer, seems palpable, and meaningful closure.

Spoilers End.

P_R
1st August 2010, 04:53 PM
Ghost Writer - oru thadavai paarkalaam
sift delete

Sarna
2nd August 2010, 10:45 AM
Stealth - dubbed tamil version --- cool entertainer 8-)

Cinefan
2nd August 2010, 01:01 PM
The Last Tycoon:Picked this one cos' of the names involved-De Niro,Elia Kazan directing and Jack Nicholson.

De Niro plays Monroe Stahr,a highly successful studio executive whose decisions has given them huge receipts at the box office and a pile of profits.He is ruthless,sacks directors and writers,changes scenes,cuts out stock-basically one with a knack of making films audience friendly.

He catches a glimpse of a girl called Kathleen Moore who looks like his late wife,woos her aggressively and after an initial hesitation she gives in.

She has a back story about being in love with a guy who goes off track,she runs away only to be rescued by another guy whom she is about to marry.

Monroe loses focus,tries his best to wean her off only to be heartbroken.

He messes up a crucial meeting with a writer who is trying to unionise(jack nicholson in a couple of scenes)and his detractors in the studio use this to pack him off.

Film ends with De Niro walking into the dark interiors of a floor.

For me the film was a big dud on all fronts-unconvincing romance,strictly mechanical acting by everybody,no emotion in the script,could not connect to any of the characters.

In fact,even a couple of nude shots of the beautiful Ingrid Boulting playing Kathleen moore was anything but sizzling.

A disappointment considering how much I liked the two other Kazan movies I have watched-Street car named desire and On the waterfront.

Puliyan_Biryani
2nd August 2010, 01:13 PM
The Gift (2000)

Watched this movie because of the star cast (Cate Blanchett, Keanu Reeves, Katie Holmes, Greg Kinnear, Hilary Swank, Giovanni Ribisi).

A thriller which deals with psychic powers and ESP. Not exactly Final Destination, but this one is more of a disturbing and hard-hitting variety. Even though I could guess the killer, they tried their best to keep it as much a suspense as possible.

Would certainly recommend for people who like to watch good thriller movies.

P_R
2nd August 2010, 01:16 PM
Elaborating on The Ghost Writer

Post is full of Spoilers

My problem was TGW wasn't thrilling at all. It is suggested quite strongly early that Ruth is Adam Lang's Ghost. You never relate to her closely enough, her judgement of how he ought to be etc. None of this comes as a surprise. Perhps the problem is, the realization that his whole career was orchestrated by the CIA itself, does not hit me as a hair raiser.

The mood, solitude etc. all very well. But they hardly ever make a movie for me. And most importantly even an excellent build up can be delfated by weak characterizations/dialogues. People opening up in first conversations, dialogues designed to support to prop up certain types of charecterizations etc.

I realize I gloss these things over easily when the movie is sufficiently absorbing, which was not the case for me here. :-)

Brosnan's role was written well, perfect dialogues, well acted too. But pretty much everything else was weak.The foreign minister is a character written most superficially.

First of all the premise that the predecessor and/or Foreign Sec. only suddenly "came to know" about the war crimes etc. is very kaadhula poo. The whole conversation with the manuscript in the diner, was so so naive. And the fact that the predecessor had his number, kinda made 'what possibly happened' kinda predictable.
So the 'twists' did not have their intended effect on me.

The beginnings puzzle solution had me smiling rather than thrilled.

Overall quite underwhelming.

raghavendran
2nd August 2010, 01:23 PM
angels and demons
tharumaaru padam...tom hanks 8-)

rangan_08
2nd August 2010, 06:47 PM
[tscii:85f802ad6e]SLEUTH in Sonly Pix. There were just 2 characters in the film, played by Michael Caine and Jude Law, but still the film was very compelling and absolutely engrossing that I was just glued in front of my TV.

The plot had enormous scope for performance and these two guys were terrific. The talented and experienced Caine was excellent in bringing out all the minute expressions effortlessly. Jude Law was also equally fantastic and proved to be a perfect co-star. And, as for me, if you want to hear nice and sweet English, it has to be British :) . Actually, after Frankenstein, this is Branagh’s second film I’m watching.

I’d love to watch the original starring Lawrence Olivier and Michael Caine, again (he actually reversed his role in the remake – Wiki ).
[/tscii:85f802ad6e]

PARAMASHIVAN
2nd August 2010, 07:14 PM

Karate Kid: Average and quite predictable. Since the movie is about the kid, it had only one Jackie Chan fight sequence. Loved the Chinese girl's dance though.

The A Team: Above average. Action-packed, fun film without a dull moment. Worth watching once.

:ty:

hmm, I am also getting good reviews about the 'A team' would give it a go :roll:

kid-glove
3rd August 2010, 03:47 AM
[tscii:ca8436a836]SLEUTH in Sonly Pix. There were just 2 characters in the film, played by Michael Caine and Jude Law, but still the film was very compelling and absolutely engrossing that I was just glued in front of my TV.

The plot had enormous scope for performance and these two guys were terrific. The talented and experienced Caine was excellent in bringing out all the minute expressions effortlessly. Jude Law was also equally fantastic and proved to be a perfect co-star. And, as for me, if you want to hear nice and sweet English, it has to be British :) . Actually, after Frankenstein, this is Branagh’s second film I’m watching.

I’d love to watch the original starring Lawrence Olivier and Michael Caine, again (he actually reversed his role in the remake – Wiki ).
[/tscii:ca8436a836]

Interesting. This was my reaction (http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=1692653#1692653)..

kid-glove
3rd August 2010, 03:49 AM
Channel 4's Red riding trilogy - British Masterpiece

raghavendran
3rd August 2010, 09:54 AM

hmm, I am also getting good reviews about the 'A team' would give it a go :roll:even i have the movie wid me..pakkanum...cast of the film came on wwe...semmeya kalaichindange....youth mazhai 8-)

Cinefan
4th August 2010, 12:32 PM
The Corruptor:Chow Yun Fat and Mark Wahlberg star in this actioner set in the backdrop of china town where two gangs are at war.

Throw in double crossing,flip,twist,chase,guns and we get a masala mix.

Not great cinema but interesting as long as it lasted.

Only grievance:Chow's acting which was plain bad.This role required someone who could excude power and screen presence.Chow hammed his way through.

Dinesh84
4th August 2010, 12:46 PM
any reveevs by hub pandits on "Schindler's list" ?
if so please direct me :D

kid-glove
4th August 2010, 01:04 PM
Without trying to conflate ethics and aesthetics in an overt manner, I still find "Schindler's List" troubling than necessarily being 'moved'. Polanski's "The Pianist" is more to my taste as it transcends beyond just a comment or an episode of holocaust, and manges to 'observe' than 'judge'..

I wouldn't go as far as Zizek does (http://www.thepervertsguide.com/extras_zizek_spielbergfathers.html)(but it's an interesting angle, and the box-office success of a film based on holocaust raises caution & alarm):
Schindler's List is, at the most basic level, a remake of Jurassic Park (and, if anything, worse than the original), with the Nazis as the dinosaur monsters, Schindler as (at the film's beginning) the cynical-profiteering and opportunistic parental figure, and the ghetto Jews as threatened children (their infantilization in the film is eye-striking) - the story the film tells is about Schindler's gradual rediscovery of his paternal duty towards the Jews, and his transformation into a caring and responsible father.

P_R
4th August 2010, 01:13 PM
:lol:

kid-glove
4th August 2010, 01:41 PM
-deleted-

kid-glove
4th August 2010, 01:41 PM
Le Sang Des Betes (1949, Georges Franju, France)
Short film on Parisian slaughterhouse, available in Googlevideos..

This is another one of disturbing-in-allegorical-way exercise. The Black and White Imagery gives it less of a sheen, the blood and internals of "quarries" of a civilized society. But it's their placement, differentiation as per taxonomy, adults & cubs, and the way the whole thing is filmed, at one point you could hear a sound mix of fighter plane and how the whole ordeal revokes of Auschwitz. Inter-cut with church (nuns are customers here) and serene civil life of the outside society. There's no stylization of the gore. Something few filmmakers could learn from. But as a film, I wasn't fascinated as the post sounds than just experiencing a distinct mood (of the slaughterhouse counterpointed by calm atmosphere outside), time and place that couldn't be experienced in real life (not that I yearn to!)..

kid-glove
4th August 2010, 01:51 PM
And lastly the point on its workers isn't really beyond its surface. There's an ex-boxing champion who is reduced to this job and then there's the pride of being the most effective slaughter in the house, etc. Perhaps the allegory is lost on me, coz the film keeps 'em on the periphery while only observing the activity within the butchery..

The Allegory isn't deep or profound than merely suggestive. The gaze is of observatory nature, with sparse voice-over narration. There are images of children, old men walking and romancing couples outside the slaughterhouse that perhaps only exists as a 'counterpoint'.

anbu_kathir
4th August 2010, 04:07 PM
"The ghost writer" .. I got a rather strange comic-suspense feel after seeing it, maybe because of the score, theriyala. Loved the last few scenes.

Saw the movies adapted from " The girl..." series by Stieg Larsson. Overall, a neat trilogy. The lead actress was too good!

rangan_08
4th August 2010, 07:07 PM
[tscii:8733b83f68]SLEUTH in Sonly Pix. There were just 2 characters in the film, played by Michael Caine and Jude Law, but still the film was very compelling and absolutely engrossing that I was just glued in front of my TV.

[/tscii:8733b83f68]

Interesting. This was my reaction (http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=1692653#1692653)..

hmmm...

rangan_08
4th August 2010, 07:09 PM
Schindler's List is, at the most basic level, a remake of Jurassic Park (and, if anything, worse than the original), with the Nazis as the dinosaur monsters, Schindler as (at the film's beginning) the cynical-profiteering and opportunistic parental figure, and the ghetto Jews as threatened children (their infantilization in the film is eye-striking) - the story the film tells is about Schindler's gradual rediscovery of his paternal duty towards the Jews, and his transformation into a caring and responsible father.[/i]

:D endha endha yangle-la ellam yosikkirangappa... :thumbsup:

ajaybaskar
5th August 2010, 11:17 AM
INSOMNIA

Not the best attempt of Nolan. But still watchable for Pacino.

Prabo
5th August 2010, 03:34 PM
A fish called wanda - Absurd, but :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Mukzi
5th August 2010, 09:13 PM
500 Days of Summer !!!
DOuble Super....

P_R
9th August 2010, 11:34 AM
Requiem for a Dream

Good. Thank You Venki for the recommendation.

It was not at all what I thought it would be. Quite interesting and was continuously engaging, visually appealing and impressive acting. But after a point it got kinda boring and the ending did not hit a high note (what was I expecting anyway!).

A little on the showy side sometimes. For instance the splitscreen seemed interesting first but after that it was being used just for effect. There is one movie with Aaron Eckhart and Helena Bonham Carter, which is just two people talking. Split screen is used extremely well as a technique there and there it felt there was a natural 'demand' for it.

Like that, everything seemed overused. The pupil dilation, bloodstream , high shots was 'wow' when they show it the first time, then it is reused and reused it became dull. Perhaps that was the point...the spiral from wow to being trapped, or something like that :-)

The parallel drawn between dieting and withdrawal was quite interesting. So was the depictions between the mother and her friends, Jared Leto and Jeniffer Connelly's relationship's ups-and-downs etc. But after a point there was nothing 'new' happening.

I liked 'The Wrestler' better. The movie is 'similar' in many ways. Perhaps the focus on one character was able to elicit poignance better. Not sure.

Sarna
9th August 2010, 11:43 AM
Untraceable - watchable once :)

Yuvi
9th August 2010, 03:31 PM
Kevin Costner, De Niro, Sean Connery, Andy Garcia - The cast was awesome but somehow the film didnt hit the level that it should have. Wardrode by Georgio Armani 8-)

The Untouchables.

rangan_08
9th August 2010, 06:49 PM
[tscii:86475876cc]It was a blessed weekend for me. Watched “The Deer Hunter” & “ One flew over the cuckoo’s nest” and have just not come out of the hangover. :notworthy:

Generally war films depict the glory of war or they try to analyse the aftermath of it. Deer Hunter falls in the second category. Well, the Russian roulette says it all. I just couldn’t imagine the terrible state of mind of those real soldiers who had gone through that dreadful experience. de Niro and Walken where just terrific and so is Meryl Streep. :clap:

Next to the loss of human lives, what disturbs me most about wars is the horrible act of destroying natural beauties and its valuable resources. Beautiful valley of Kashmir, dense forests of Sri Lanka…. Vietnam….. and, we are supposed to be the most superior form of all species in God’s creation. I’m sick of thinking about it. In the end, Streep sadly sings, “God bless America..”, which sounds nothing more than a metaphor.

One flew over the cuckoo’s nest – this guy just proves that no other actor could have played Mc Murphy better than him – hats off of Jack :notworthy: . Louise Fletcher was amazing.

Notable Indian adaptations – “Thalavattam” – dir.by Priyadarshan, starring Mohanlal & “Manasukkul Mathappu” – dir.by Robert Rajasekar, starring Prabhu.

And, the dvd’s of Annie Hall & Kramer vs. Kramer is in the pipeline and I have just kept them for this weekend viewing (as I’ve seen them already, years back).

However, the temptation to watch AH was too hard to resist, that I only managed to watch the opening scene. Great opening sequence – just after the opening credits, we get to see a tight close-up of this middle aged man (I turned 40…… I’m balding slightly at top :D ) and he at once begins to talk non-stop, about how he feels about life (it’s “essentially” about two women, to start with :D ). As he continues to talk to us on and on and on…. we, happily begin to follow him with all our heart. :thumbsup:
[/tscii:86475876cc]

Sarna
10th August 2010, 12:59 PM
Wasabi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasabi_%28film%29) - watchable once :)

kid-glove
10th August 2010, 01:09 PM
The Deer Hunter is a great film with a significant flaw in its racist (antagonism) treatment of Viet Cong. Yet, Purely as an emotional 'hymn' piece, it's peerless. De Niro's & Walken's acting is so perfect that they give truth to presumably normal human being taken to the extreme. The Russian roulette is the nadir..

Cinefan
12th August 2010, 11:08 AM
The Raging Bull-One of those movies which left me with 'no feeling'.12 hours since the movie ended,still can't decide what I feel about it.

But no such confusion about De niro-he epitomised the title,fantastic.The way he worked out the character graph too was damn good.

Joe pesci was an able foil as his brother Joey but Cathy Moriarty as Vickie was beautiful but little low on substance i.e acting.

The boxing scenes were superbly choreographed,extremely realistic.

Tidbit I was not aware of-make up was by Micheal you-know-who westmore.

ajaybaskar
13th August 2010, 06:01 PM
Traffic.

Excellent. Runs for 140 minutes. But didnt feel the length at any POT.

rangan_08
13th August 2010, 06:56 PM
The Deer Hunter is a great film with a significant flaw in its racist (antagonism) treatment of Viet Cong. Yet, Purely as an emotional 'hymn' piece, it's peerless. De Niro's & Walken's acting is so perfect that they give truth to presumably normal human being taken to the extreme. The Russian roulette is the nadir..

Great. What about One flew.....??

kid-glove
13th August 2010, 10:31 PM
I quite like it.

P_R
14th August 2010, 11:57 AM
Zodiac

reNdarai maNi nEram night kaN muzichu paarthEn :roll:

great
14th August 2010, 06:50 PM
Zodiac

and, pidikaLai. Atha sollunga :lol:

rangan_08
14th August 2010, 07:20 PM
PR, is that groucho marx in your avatar whom alvy refers to? :)

P_R
14th August 2010, 09:35 PM
Zodiac

:-)

eppo thrill varumnu wait paNradhu dhaan thrill pOla

P_R
14th August 2010, 09:35 PM
PR, is that groucho marx in your avatar whom alvy refers to? :) adhE mahAnubhAvar dhaan

P_R
14th August 2010, 09:38 PM
Coraline - visual reedhiyila oru nalla padam
Niece and nephew liked it[/code]

Bala (Karthik)
14th August 2010, 10:58 PM
+1

Nerd
14th August 2010, 11:15 PM
Zodiac

Naanum kaNmuzhichu dhaan paarthEn. Saw the first day midnight show. Took some of my friends along. YerkanavE thittittu irundhaainga, idhula vera naanE thoongittaa :oops:

A Serious Man - enna viLayAttu idhu :x
:lol: Thought its just me.

groucho070
16th August 2010, 06:33 AM
The Expendables.

First time I almost teared watching an action movie. Anandha kanneer for the awesomeness. Watching it again maybe tomorrow or day after.

Dinesh84
16th August 2010, 10:41 AM
Niece and nephew liked it[/code] enakku pidikkala.. i think its stritly for kids.. :roll:

Dinesh84
16th August 2010, 10:43 AM
The Expendables.

First time I almost teared watching an action movie. Anandha kanneer for the awesomeness. Watching it again maybe tomorrow or day after. :shock: 8-)
should watch this friday..

groucho070
16th August 2010, 11:22 AM
Niece and nephew liked it[/code] enakku pidikkala.. i think its stritly for kids.. :roll: Kids like grouch? Sure... :)
Coraline (2009)

Beautiful. Fanstastic. How come I missed it first time around? :shock:

GM: Dey, ithe kelviya ettana tadavadaa ketpa?

kid-glove
16th August 2010, 11:37 AM
You aren't alone here bud, I liked it too..

groucho070
16th August 2010, 11:54 AM
Glad you liked it too Thilak. Watch The Expendables, and please don't forget to switch off the brain :wink:

kid-glove
16th August 2010, 12:01 PM
Groucho,
There was a time (long before Internet invasion) when I was feeding on Arnie, Stallone, JCVD and Steven Seagal films on AXN. Don't where I left my brain then :) I'll have no problems.

kid-glove
16th August 2010, 12:42 PM
Zodiac

:-)

eppo thrill varumnu wait paNradhu dhaan thrill pOla

I was searching for other reactions and tada!

nAnum oru 3 Zodiac padam pArthutten. oNNu kooda thERala. nejamAthAn solreengaLA? Testament? "athu ennathu unga mAstar pLANN?"

I felt everyone in the movie Ruffalo Downey, Gyllenhall, his wife, even Dermot Mulroney was exceptionally well characterized and he did an excellent job of capturing the fear that gripped San Francisco in the 70's that made catching the killer very difficult. I enjoyed the movie quite a bit.

Indeed Compli, in deed.. :)

ajaybaskar
16th August 2010, 10:08 PM
What happened to JCVD? My fav hero during my school days.

kid-glove
16th August 2010, 10:10 PM
He acted in a film called JCVD that's eminently watchable and recommended..

Sarna
16th August 2010, 10:11 PM
The great dictator (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Dictator) - charlie chaplin - this man has so much control over his acting...that too in 1940 :bow: :bow:

Charlie chaplin - dictionary/encyclopedia of controlled acting.

groucho070
17th August 2010, 08:48 AM
What happened to JCVD? My fav hero during my school days.JCVD and Seagal was approached but they refused. Stallone, "They have their own idea about their career"-nu solli siricharaam :D

P_R
17th August 2010, 12:12 PM
I felt everyone in the movie Ruffalo Downey, Gyllenhall, his wife, even Dermot Mulroney was exceptionally well characterized and he did an excellent job of capturing the fear that gripped San Francisco in the 70's that made catching the killer very difficult. I enjoyed the movie quite a bit.Indeed Compli, in deed.. :) :-)

I was bored very easily.

In that lakeside killing scene when the killer is first shown in full daylight engaging in conversation with the couple I felt something was seriously wrong about the film. If they were going to show him in broad daylight so soon in the movie why bother cloaking him in shadows thus long. Half the fizz was out then.

After that it was unending back and forth.

Department red tapism, all-being there and missed, self importance, Downey's issues, being at it taking its toll etc.

Regarding 'being at it for so long taking its toll' the performance I like a lot is Stephen Rea in Citizen X. It is also a thriller movie where, to quote Charlie Kaufman as mentioned by equa, "pretty much nothing happens". But the sense of desparation, being wedded to the problem for far too long etc. came out really well.

The scene where the boss asks the inspector to take off, his partner bailing out on him, Jake Gyllenhall taking obsessing endlessly reminded me of how much more impressive Rea was (all of this rolled into one). You can sense the weight of the whole investigation on him etc. Which is what I think Zodiac was trying to show.

To me it was a thriller that didn't thrill.
Perhaps the point was 'this is how bland an actual serial killer trail is' and all. If so, that is hardly ever a sufficient argument for making it interesting to watch.

Anyway, one thing that rankled me a lot was the music. It seemed incongruous to a film of this type (perhaps this was also about going against the type). Did you also feel this way? I found the BGM even lively at times (when the puzzles came in for instance) and left me quite confused. It was like Fincher was challenging the audience to feel thrilled!

I guess this is a hit-or-miss movie with little middle ground.

kid-glove
17th August 2010, 08:34 PM
For now, I'll just say 'adhu oru karuthu' and move on. Addressing point by point would take time, and I'm relatively busy at the moment. Let me just say I like both the films. But in a very assured manner, I'd take Zodiac over Citizen X any day of the week and twice on Sundays. In my fleeting tweets, it should be apparent how high I place this film in Fincher's oeuvre. Actually at the very top.

P_R
17th August 2010, 08:50 PM
Yeah, I kinda understand from your/equa tweets what they were trying to do. I was just saying/ thinging out loud why it didn't work for me.

btw I wouldn't watch Citizen X again. :lol2:
I found it quite eventless and thus 'boring'. But I guess the movie couldn't have been made any other way. The languid pace was important to communicate the heaviness.

Puliyan_Biryani
17th August 2010, 10:54 PM
[tscii:77328f93a1]Boys Don't Cry (1999)

A movie based on the real life story of a trans-gendered person. Hilary Swank plays Teena Brandon, the transgender - biologically born as female but identifies self as a male.

Swank makes friends with a group of junkies and does everything to be considered as an adrenaline-filled man. Swank also falls in love with a girl from the group, but hides the truth and plans to be with her after a sex change operation. But the group comes to know of Swank’s true identity and Swank’s dreams are blown to pieces.

I didn't know what to expect, so I started the movie with a blank mind. But it was hard-hitting and thought provoking to say the least. It didn't attempt to be preachy or take a stand but mostly stuck to the facts of the original Teena’s story. And the facts were more than enough to leave me with a heavy heart. The harsh reality of the way trans-genders are looked down even in this 21st century is a bit hard to digest. The hero/heroine never really blames anybody else for their discriminatory actions and that was even more painful.

Hilary Swank – I am awestruck. The guts she must have had to play a transgender is commendable. Her performance matches her guts in every scene, especially the tragic scenes. Kudos to the director as well for making such a difficult story into a movie. The climax scene is very distressing.

The movie has nudity and a lot of disturbing scenes.

I would definitely recommend the movie as a must watch for all drama lovers.[/tscii:77328f93a1]

Puliyan_Biryani
19th August 2010, 12:03 AM
Ong Bak 3

Better to stay away from this one. Nothing much in this movie, even the action sequences are pretty boring.

Trying to break free from the all-action path of Ong Bak 2, this part tries to develop the story and build up to a big bang climax. The build-up is yawn inducing and the climax itself is a big disappointment.

groucho070
19th August 2010, 07:32 AM
Ong Bak 3 :shock: Didn't know it went this far. Ithukellam oru terrorist movement illaya? Some Anti Too Many Sequel Assocation?

Sarna
19th August 2010, 10:19 AM
Ong Bak 3

Better to stay away from this one. Nothing much in this movie, even the action sequences are pretty boring.

Trying to break free from the all-action path of Ong Bak 2, this part tries to develop the story and build up to a big bang climax. The build-up is yawn inducing and the climax itself is a big disappointment.

I really liked Ong bak 1 and Ong bak 2 :)

atleast fight scenes nallaa irukkaa ?

Puliyan_Biryani
19th August 2010, 11:18 AM
atleast fight scenes nallaa irukkaa ?

No, the fight scenes are not good and there is nothing new in these fights either. I could count 3-4 fight scenes which add up to about 15 minutes. But to see those fights you would have to put up with 1.15 hours of following:

1) Hero gets beaten up and is in unsaveable state.
2) Heroine prays to the Almighty to save the hero.
3) A medical/super-natural miraakil saves the hero.
4) Heroine looks after the hero during recovery.
5) Hero is devastated at his current state and attempts suicide.
6) Elderly man reminds hero of his destiny.
7) Heroine teaches Hero dance (some touching touching, avanga relationship-a kaattaraangalaama).
8) Hero combines dance and martial arts to fulfill his destiny.

:banghead: Tony Jaa edhaavadhu pannuvaarunnu wait panni wait panni kaduppaanadhudhaan micham. Should've fast forwarded to the fights and shift-delete.

ajaybaskar
19th August 2010, 11:22 AM
Ong Bak 3 :shock: Didn't know it went this far. Ithukellam oru terrorist movement illaya? Some Anti Too Many Sequel Assocation?

Sarna
19th August 2010, 02:00 PM
nandri P_B :)

raghavendran
22nd August 2010, 08:35 AM
goodwill hunting..
wat a film...how did i miss such a film..matt damon and robin williams-acting at its very best..so natural :shock: :notworthy: ..charecter defenitions,justifications,missions etc etc..ellame :thumbsup: ..truely an oscar material..
fabulous movie..i m a matt damon fan b4 seeing this..but after seeing this... :notworthy: way to go..

Puliyan_Biryani
22nd August 2010, 11:14 PM
goodwill hunting..
wat a film...how did i miss such a film..matt damon and robin williams-acting at its very best..so natural :shock: :notworthy: ..charecter defenitions,justifications,missions etc etc..ellame :thumbsup: ..truely an oscar material..
fabulous movie..i m a matt damon fan b4 seeing this..but after seeing this... :notworthy: way to go..

I suggest you to watch 'The Talented Mr. Ripley'. Damon's performance was awesome and thought it would easily be the best among his early works. Haven't seen 'Goodwill Hunting' yet, so will see it before coming to a conclusion.

groucho070
23rd August 2010, 08:13 AM
The Outrage (1964).

Martin Ritt's so and so remake of Rashomon. Like Yojimbo, transplanted to the Western frontier. Since presentation not original, I was checking out the performance. Newman was doing an Eli Wallach. William Shatner proves that even when you tell him there is not much acting to do, he still overacts.

The joy is Edward G. Robinson. What a performer? Such joy watching him act. Ivarukku yen legendary status kudukkalanu theriyila :huh:

kid-glove
23rd August 2010, 08:35 AM
EGR is a legend. At least in gangster genre, he's up there with Cagney..

groucho070
23rd August 2010, 09:25 AM
Thanks Thilak, kannukku kulirchiya irukku padikkarthukku. He needs recognition for his work. My favourite of his performace: Double Indemnity.

Trivia for Eastwood fans (I know you know this, Thilak): EG Robinson's son is no other than Scorpio in Dirty Harry (sub-trivia to whoever discussing the Zodiac Killer, Scorpio was based on those incidents)

raghavendran
23rd August 2010, 09:28 AM
goodwill hunting..

I suggest you to watch 'The Talented Mr. Ripley'. Damon's performance was awesome and thought it would easily be the best among his early works. Haven't seen 'Goodwill Hunting' yet, so will see it before coming to a conclusion.oh thnx..but goodwill hunting is just awesome..matt-so natural.. :D ..also he won the oscar for best screenplay for that film with robbie williams won it for best supporting actor..brilliant film

kid-glove
23rd August 2010, 09:49 AM
[tscii:404f59e2f2] [/tscii:404f59e2f2]I don't rate Matt Damon highly, but he was pretty good in Good will Hunting.

Grouch,

Have you seen EGR's performance as Nazi Hunter in Welles film, The Stranger?

As for his best, I haven't seen many of his films. But Mankiewicz’s House of Strangers about Italian Immigrants, the Monetti family, evoking King Lear much much before "The Godfather", features one of his best. EGR would have made a fine Corleone.

P_R
23rd August 2010, 09:58 AM
[tscii:5af2f4e12c]La rčgle du jeu
Kood.
It was Britis play type mix-up humour. Mildly funny and all that.
But I am surely missing something as this one is in all time great lists and all that.

I liked Renoir's Le Grande Illusion a whole lot more.[/tscii:5af2f4e12c]

groucho070
23rd August 2010, 10:06 AM
EGR as Corleone...that would be lovely, too bad Brando owned it. I have not seen those films, will definitely look out for it. Thanks.

And I wonder if Damon has written any scripts after that...there was controversy about the ownership of GWH script. Goldman admitted that he helped the boys a bit, still....

groucho070
24th August 2010, 07:04 AM
Double Indemnity (1944) revisit.

Continuing EGR tribute. Script is the hero here, Raymond Chandler and Billy Wilder :notworthy: Chandler disliked the James Cain book, and said that everything Cain touches "smells like billy goat". But what an awesome film it turned out to be. Wilder and Chandler couldn't stand each other and unfortunately, this is the only collaboration.

EGR and his little man :lol:

ajaybaskar
24th August 2010, 06:27 PM
The Expendables

Watchable for Jason Statham.

PARAMASHIVAN
26th August 2010, 06:25 PM
Has any one seen the following?

The expendable

The last Airbender

Inception - I hear lots of good reviews from the people who have seen it and say it is quite 'complicated' to understand :roll:

Night & day

Piranha 3D

Pls post your views

app_engine
27th August 2010, 01:18 AM
We're forced to watch Home Alone every now and then, thanks to my son's craze for the movie.

That boy is now 30 !
http://omg.yahoo.com/photos/child-stars-turning-30/4156/1#OmgPhoid=1

[html:c6f7ac6989]
http://l.yimg.com/k/im_siggo4OjcY6BnBCPJTazE9633w---y626-x495-q75-n1/omg/us/img/f9/05/2137156351_12361255417.jpg
[/html:c6f7ac6989]

ajaybaskar
27th August 2010, 02:01 AM
Unthinkable.

Gripping, edge of the seat thriller. Highly recommended.

groucho070
27th August 2010, 07:31 AM
Roaring Twenties (1939). revisit.

Cagney and Bogart. Cagney and Bogart. :notworthy: :notworthy: Simple narration, fantastic dialogues, brilliant all-round performance. They don't make like this anymore. By the way, I noticed lots of similarities between Cagney's body language and Connery (when he is not doing OO7), and Cagney is Eastwood's favourite actor.

avven
27th August 2010, 12:01 PM
Unthinkable.

:exactly: jackson oda acting :notworthy:

Puliyan_Biryani
27th August 2010, 12:09 PM
Unthinkable.

The climax has evoked a lot of discussion in imdb.

What do you think? Was Carrie-Anne Moss right? I am still struggling to make up my mind.

avven
27th August 2010, 12:15 PM
Unthinkable.

What do you think? Was Carrie-Anne Moss right? I am still struggling to make up my mind.
aavanga padathula first la iruthei right illa :twisted: aavanga way of interrogation terrorist kaluku right illa :roll:

ajaybaskar
27th August 2010, 12:17 PM

She was wrong IMO. Any further discussions will end up in posting spoilers... :)

Puliyan_Biryani
27th August 2010, 12:22 PM
Even I said to myself that she was wrong. But the questions it evokes on morality are quite difficult to answer.

Valid point on spoilers. Let's refrain and give others a chance to enjoy the movie.

Vivasaayi
27th August 2010, 10:59 PM
A Shortfilm about Love - kieslowski

:clap:

Recommended :thumbsup:

ajaybaskar
30th August 2010, 11:27 AM
SALT

Very much watchable...

MADDY
31st August 2010, 03:16 PM
Godfather

devastating everytime we watch

raghavendran
31st August 2010, 09:13 PM
Godfather

devastating everytime we watchyes..
al pacino :notworthy:

VinodKumar's
31st August 2010, 09:19 PM
We're forced to watch Home Alone every now and then, thanks to my son's craze for the movie.

That boy is now 30 !
http://omg.yahoo.com/photos/child-stars-turning-30/4156/1#OmgPhoid=1

http://l.yimg.com/k/im_siggo4OjcY6BnBCPJTazE9633w---y626-x495-q75-n1/omg/us/img/f9/05/2137156351_12361255417.jpg

Thanks for this info app.

Cinefan
1st September 2010, 01:01 PM
Goodfellas:My 2nd Scorsese/De Niro film which left me flummoxed as to my feelings for the movie.Can't tell how I felt.

Got to do with the way Scorsese structures the movie I think.

Was very impressed with Ray Liotta as Henry hill while Joe Pesci's character reminded me a lot of his role in the Raging Bull.

groucho070
1st September 2010, 02:33 PM
while Joe Pesci's character reminded me a lot of his role in the Raging Bull.Which will be reminded again when you watch Casino. Considering all are based on real life characters, it makes you wonder if Pesci is a good actor after all, and that best supporting actor Oscar?

Avadi to America
1st September 2010, 07:53 PM
again watched ONCE UP ON A TIME IN WESt nth time.....
i love those dialogs.....

Harmonica: And Frank?
Snaky: Frank sent us.
Harmonica: Did you bring a horse for me?
Snaky: Well... looks like we're...
[snickers]
Snaky: ...looks like we're shy one horse.
Harmonica: You brought two too many.

Harmonica: I saw three of these dusters a short time ago, they were waiting for a train. Inside the dusters, there were three men.
Cheyenne: So?
Harmonica: Inside the men, there were three bullets.
Cheyenne: That's a crazy story, Harmonica, for two reasons. One, nobody around these part's got the guts to wear those dusters except Cheyenne's men. Two, Cheyenne's men don't get killed.
Harmonica: Well, you know music, and you can count - all the way up to two.
[Cheyenne spins the magazine of his revolver]
Cheyenne: All the way up to six if I have to...
[gestures to Harmonica's wound]
Cheyenne: And maybe faster than you

ajithfederer
1st September 2010, 11:15 PM
W. - Josh Brolin is brilliant as William Bush. An Understated film and "effortless" acting from him. Gives a peek into earlier life of George Bush Junior.

Backdraft - Excellent setting augured with good special effects. Kurt Russell is very good. Very much watchable and hey you have Deniro in this.

The curious case of Benjamin Button - :clap:. Enjoyable fantasy drama. Pitt is underappreciated as an actor. Cate Blanchett is a darling. Loved the premise and hence the film. I loved the set piece in the film "And If only one thing had happened differently ". Amazing recreation of the periods and beautiful cinematography. Eagerly awaiting "the social network" from David Fincher.

Inglourious Basterds - Very well done. The stellar piece is still the rendezvous with Basterds in the Tavern at the french town of Nadine. Its amazing how all the actors "act" so well in QT's film.

A league of their own : Funny and enjoyable. It is 1943/44 and the American boys are in war which gives room for the girls baseball league. Penny Marshall's hit with Tom Hanks as drunk Jimmy Dugan who takes over as one of the girls team manager. Hanks is hilarious and Geena davis is fantastic as Dottie Hinson. Stillwell Angel scenes and "There's no crying in baseball" are the two most enjoyable scenes in the film.

groucho070
2nd September 2010, 09:17 AM
Hanks is hilariousMiss the days when Hanks was doing comedies. Watch Dragnet, really crazy Hanks.

ajithfederer
2nd September 2010, 10:33 PM
The Time Traveller's wife (2009). Not bad. Bana and Rachel McAdams have acted well. Fantasy stuff.

Sure groucho, thanks for the reco's.

ajaybaskar
3rd September 2010, 12:09 PM
El secreto de sus ojos (The secret in their eyes)

A must watch murder mystery. Deserves the academy award that it got last year. Thanx to KG for recommending this one...

Darin, in lot of places, reminds me of Kamal.. :)

raghavendran
3rd September 2010, 06:58 PM

A must watch murder mystery. Deserves the academy award that it got last year. Thanx to KG for recommending this one...

Darin, in lot of places, reminds me of Kamal.. :)ENNE LANGUAGE PADAM?

ajaybaskar
3rd September 2010, 07:13 PM
Spanish..

Siv.S
3rd September 2010, 11:56 PM

Darin, in lot of places, reminds me of Kamal.. :)ENNE LANGUAGE PADAM?
Last year Oscar winning foreign language movie, must watch movie just for the performance of the lead characters.

varunlss12
4th September 2010, 04:23 AM
Harry Brown

sasi kumar nagaram is rumoured as inspiration of above movie.Film was good.

Puliyan_Biryani
4th September 2010, 01:33 PM
indha vaaram, psychopath serial killer vaaram :D
Watched a couple of such movies back to back. ippo enakke enmela doubt vandhuduchu :?

The Killer Inside Me - Casey Affleck is a deputy at the Sheriff's office. He has some old grudges and uses a prostitute (Jessica Alba) as a pawn to get his vengence. But he hasn't committed the perfect crime and has to commit more and more crimes to cover it up.

Casey Affleck was very good as a sociopath and he might even get an Oscar nomination. The way he has portayed his mind deteriorating (or true self resurfacing) after beginning his relationship with the prositute is good. The movie contains explicit scenes and some very tough-to-watch scenes like face battering,etc.

The Killing Jar - In a small town roadside hotel, Michael Madsen gets mistaken for committing a crime (murdering a family) he apparently didn't. Enraged by this, he takes out a couple of people and takes the remaining people as hostages. As he knows that the killer is amongst them, he puts them in the hot chair and tortures them to get the truth.

Though they tried to maintain the suspense about the killer, it was pretty obvious from the beginning (suspect the most innocent logic :D). The ending was also largely predictable. Madsen gets a Madsen's role and he gets through without much effort. Apart from him, the movie is not really engaging.

Puliyan_Biryani
4th September 2010, 04:18 PM
Hanks is hilariousMiss the days when Hanks was doing comedies. Watch Dragnet, really crazy Hanks.
Groucho, any comments on Road to Perdition? I am thinking of watching this movie for the last 2 months, but the thought of Tom Hanks as a hitman puts it at the back of the list :D

kid-glove
4th September 2010, 08:46 PM
Quite good actually. Along with Jude Law (in an eccentric role, that evokes "Peeping Tom" as a passing reference), Daniel Craig as a covetous, barmy-headed son who screws it up every time, and Paul Newman as a father 'cut in two', evincing paternal sensibility with gravitas. The young son is quite good too. Harmonious marriage of Conrad Hall's visuals and Thomas Newman's BGM on a solid story based on a slightly bleak (Spoiler: In the film, Michael Sullivan Sr succeeds in the end as Jr. doesn't turn out to be an 'accomplice' in such vengeful violence. Therefore, he dies peacefully - Hanks does well in this scene. Now orphaned, the son joins the old couple in the farm. His dad could rest in peace. While in the comic, Sr fails a bit with regards to son) flashy (that would translate to action filmmakers like Ringo Lam or John Woo on visual terms - On the contrary, Mendes conventional old-house style works) comic, that is resonant to Parker Series ("The Hunter" in particular) and "Lone Wolf and Cub" series. I'd recommend the film wholeheartedly.

raghavendran
4th September 2010, 09:03 PM
For a few dollars more
loved the film..clint eastwood...wat style this man has got :smokesmirk: .along wid the other guy..dunno his name..he was simply superb as well...really love these cowboy movies :thumbsup:

Puliyan_Biryani
4th September 2010, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the recommendation kid-glove. Will watch it now and post my views tomorrow.

Raikkonen
4th September 2010, 09:40 PM
Piranha.

Positives = Kelly Brook's jalabulajanks.
Negatives = Everything else.

The original was brutal, but it was a 'silly fun' movie and probably was the best jaws ripoff at that time. I quite enjoyed the original one. This one.. :( awful.

ajithfederer
5th September 2010, 03:25 AM
Funny how, how the fcuk i am funny eh?. do i look like a clowm, do i amuse you??/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_ff46b58Hk

Joe Pesci 8-).

Goodfellas:My 2nd Scorsese/De Niro film which left me flummoxed as to my feelings for the movie.Can't tell how I felt.

Got to do with the way Scorsese structures the movie I think.

Was very impressed with Ray Liotta as Henry hill while Joe Pesci's character reminded me a lot of his role in the Raging Bull.

Puliyan_Biryani
5th September 2010, 02:50 PM
[tscii:6429576288]Road to Perdition - Watched it yesterday and liked it a lot. The opening scenes reminded me a bit of Gladiator (Son he never had sort of logic) but the similarities ended once Newman's loyalties were established. I have always thought that blood is thicker and hence I liked Newman's character that much more. At one level, Hanks' and Newman's characters are the same as they both have to protect their sons irrespective of their misdeeds (a smaller one in case of Michael Sullivan Jr.).

Tom Hanks has done a neat job of portraying the loyal hitman and the loving father (though he doesn't show his love explicitly). But I couldn't stop myself from imagining a 90s De Niro in that role. It is a tribute to the man that the distant and thorough gangster immediately evokes his memory. Jude Law and Daniel Craig aren’t bad either. But I would’ve loved to see more development of Craig’s character.

And I liked this ending better than the one from the comics kid-glove mentioned. Spoilers: Tom Hanks says that his son could make it to heaven in one of the scenes. So for him to die - after witnessing his son shooting Jude Law - with the fear that his son might follow in his footsteps would’ve been tragic. Hanks’ character succeeds in that count and the son too says that he never touched a gun after that.[/tscii:6429576288]

ajaybaskar
5th September 2010, 03:56 PM
Piranha

I shud've better stayed back home and watched Jaws. Why the hell did the director opt for 3D?

Cinefan
5th September 2010, 06:36 PM
Revolutionary Road: Was it P_R who said this was one of the best films in recent times???????????

Sorry,I certainly did not feel so.Except stray moments when Di caprio did well as the frustrated husband,the film was boring.

Idha vere kan mulichi friday night paarthen.

Quantam Of Solace: Film starts where Casino Royale ended,on a high and keeps the adrenaline pumped up for the next 1 1/2 hours.Good watch for a sunday afternoon.

sathya_1979
5th September 2010, 07:25 PM
Watching Hot Shots - Part Deux in Star Movies! Hilarious parody!

ajithfederer
5th September 2010, 07:50 PM
:lol:. The film was ok to me.

Revolutionary Road: Was it P_R who said this was one of the best films in recent times???????????

Sorry,I certainly did not feel so.Except stray moments when Di caprio did well as the frustrated husband,the film was boring.

Idha vere kan mulichi friday night paarthen.

groucho070
6th September 2010, 07:03 AM
Piranha.

The original was brutal, but it was a 'silly fun' movie and probably was the best jaws ripoff at that time. I quite enjoyed the original one. This one.. :( awful.They took themselves a bit too seriously eh?

Raikkonen
6th September 2010, 09:42 AM
the new one is just as silly as the original, but it doesn't have the same nostalgic effect (like 99% horror remakes i've seen.. look no further than van Sant's Psycho)..

actually you can watch and adore late 70's- early 80's horror movies (no matter how crap they are), just for the 'kick'..

Like i said in my earlier post, Ms Brook is the true savior of the movie.. She's just awesome.

kid-glove
6th September 2010, 10:23 AM
[tscii:ea3f56be4d][/tscii:ea3f56be4d]
And I liked this ending better than the one from the comics kid-glove mentioned. Spoilers: Tom Hanks says that his son could make it to heaven in one of the scenes. So for him to die - after witnessing his son shooting Jude Law - with the fear that his son might follow in his footsteps would’ve been tragic. Hanks’ character succeeds in that count and the son too says that he never touched a gun after that.

Yep, I too prefer this to bleaker ending in comics.

raghavendran
6th September 2010, 01:38 PM
guys i have this moviecalled A-TEAM...for months now...epdi irukkum..parkalama?

groucho070
6th September 2010, 01:57 PM
guys i have this moviecalled A-TEAM...for months now...epdi irukkum..parkalama?Slam bang no brainer action-nu sonnagga. Would help with the nostalgia effect if you are familiar with the 80s TV series. But the series was too sacred for me, so I didn't bother with the movie.

ajaybaskar
6th September 2010, 02:01 PM

Indha maadhiri download pannittu adha paakkalaamanu yosikkira Dinesh84kitta kettu paarungalen... :)

Puliyan_Biryani
6th September 2010, 02:13 PM

Indha maadhiri download pannittu adha paakkalaamanu yosikkira Dinesh84kitta kettu paarungalen... :)
I think their logic is along these lines. Download panradhu romba easy. Flashget-la add panna 1 min-dhaan aagum. aana andha padathai paakkaradhukku 2 mani neram aagum. adhukkudhaan yosikkaraanga pola.

raghavendran, the movie is worth watching once.
http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=14445&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=43

raghavendran
6th September 2010, 03:23 PM

I think their logic is along these lines. Download panradhu romba easy. Flashget-la add panna 1 min-dhaan aagum. aana andha padathai paakkaradhukku 2 mani neram aagum. adhukkudhaan yosikkaraanga pola.

raghavendran, the movie is worth watching once.
http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=14445&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=43 :lol: pakke moode varamatengudhu..oru vaati A-TEAM ode actors WWEle vandhange..semme looti like venkat prabhu team..but padam pakkedhan mood varale..
thnx P_B...pakkanum :)

Prabo
6th September 2010, 03:25 PM
Collateral - Quite good.

avven
6th September 2010, 04:14 PM
macgruber - sumaarana comedy movie but kandipa bore aadikama pogum :rotfl:

Ramkumar86
6th September 2010, 04:42 PM
Antwone Fisher.. directed by denzel washington..Can see one time.. he also acted in one character[not hero]

ajaybaskar
7th September 2010, 10:58 AM
Bucket List

:clap: Mr.Nicholson, Mr.Freeman

groucho070
7th September 2010, 12:00 PM
Bucket List

:clap: Mr.Nicholson, Mr.FreemanThe film slightly resembles a forgotten movie called Hawks (1988). Timothy Dalton in between his James Bond gigs and Anthony Edwards pre-ER days. Dalton was fantastic. Of course Bucket is a bigger movie with marquee names.

ajithfederer
8th September 2010, 10:41 PM
First few minutes of Don't bother to Knock (1952). Interesting. Groucho, Any comments? :). Marilyn Monroe was too good.

groucho070
9th September 2010, 07:04 AM
Haven't seen it, AF. But I hear she did well in that film. One of few dramatic role of hers.

Cinefan
9th September 2010, 01:48 PM
Inglourious Basterds:Very very interesting film.Loved every moment of it except the climax in the cinema hall which I felt was a bit over the top and gimmicky and the twist regarding Col Landa turning a betrayer which looked too good to be true and inconsistent with his character.

Also minor cribbings like Shoshanna and Private Zoller speaking in English on film while he speaking german and she speaking french would have been more appropriate.

I was very impressed with Melanie Laurent playing Shoshanna-expressive face and pretty too and Christopher Waltz playing Landa.

As for Brad pitt,I loved his American drawl esp in his intro scene where he is addressing his gang.

The dialogues were sparkling,esp liked the one where Landa compares rats with jews.

There are so many racial slurs on both jews and Germans but QT pulls it off in such a way that it comes through as characters speaking and not the directors POV.

But 'symbol of democracy' India-le ippadi oru padam edukka mudiyuma?

BTW,why does QT make his films in chapters,volumes and parts? :D

Dinesh84
9th September 2010, 02:03 PM
Bucket List

:clap: Mr.Nicholson, Mr.Freeman :yes: a nice movie..

Dinesh84
9th September 2010, 02:05 PM
Phone Booth.. a good movie .. camera va orae edathula vachi eduthurukaanga..
Colin Farrell :clap:

ajithfederer
10th September 2010, 02:14 AM
Meet Joe black - not bad.

ajithfederer
10th September 2010, 09:46 AM
In the name of the Father - Daniel Day Lewis - Freakin fantastic acting :shock: :clap: :clap:.

ajithfederer
12th September 2010, 10:31 PM
Mackenna's Gold (1969) :).

Frost/nixon (2008) - Good. Both the actors are very good. Especially Nixon 8-).

great
12th September 2010, 10:58 PM
Cloverfield: okay movie. Carried away by too much of +ive reviews.

Kramer v/s Kramer: Pretty Good. Dustin Hoffman was too good. Meryl Streep was beautiful and her performance in last 20 minutes was effective.

American Psycho: Okay movie. Patrick Bateman motive is not clear, atleast to me. Too many open points:

1. Motive of Bateman is not clear

2. When Bateman confess to his lawyer. Lawyer doesnt believe on what Bateman says :?

3. What happens to the investigation on paul allen :?

Raikkonen
13th September 2010, 05:53 AM
Cloverfield: okay movie. Carried away by too much of +ive reviews.

Kramer v/s Kramer: Pretty Good. Dustin Hoffman was too good. Meryl Streep was beautiful and her performance in last 20 minutes was effective.

American Psycho: Okay movie. Patrick Bateman motive is not clear, atleast to me. Too many open points:

1. Motive of Bateman is not clear

2. When Bateman confess to his lawyer. Lawyer doesnt believe on what Bateman says :?

3. What happens to the investigation on paul allen :?

The entire plot happens on his head (atleast for me anyway). He is a soulless, cold hearted human being and gets paid so much to do nothing. It's a mixture of condemnation of yuppie culture and the Nietzsche ideology (morality kills?).

The original novel would help (me) further, but i just cannot find the book here. :lol:

groucho070
13th September 2010, 06:27 AM
Mackenna's Gold (1969) :).Offered to Eastwood first, but he turned it down and did Hang 'em High. Mackenna apparently didn't do too well, but it was nice to know that most of Non-US fans love it. Check out Irummbukottai Murattu Singgam.

groucho070
13th September 2010, 08:10 AM
13 Rue Madeleine (1947)

Good spy thriller, except the opening News Reel narration, which was okay for its time. I didn't know about this film, and bought it just because it has the one, the only, the mighty JAMES CAGNEY was in it.

BTW, I feel Fleming might be influenced by the O77 dept in this film, for the famous OO7 number. Possible.

groucho070
13th September 2010, 08:12 AM
The Men Who Stared At Goats (2009)

Superb casting. Jeff Bridges, Ewan McGregor, George Clooney. It's serious if you are into paranormal stuff, and hillarious if you are not. I laughed my a** off.

groucho070
13th September 2010, 08:15 AM
A Night In Casablanca (1946)

One of the last few films of the Marx brothers. Age shows here, but business as usual. Not their best, but any Marx Bros outing is awesome.

ajithfederer
13th September 2010, 08:15 AM
This one is in Netflix stream mode. Will watch it for sure and Thanks for the insights into IrumbuKottai murattu singam.

Superb casting. Jeff Bridges, Ewan McGregor, George Clooney. It's serious if you are into paranormal stuff, and hillarious if you are not. I laughed my a** off.

groucho070
13th September 2010, 08:45 AM
This one is in Netflix stream mode. Will watch it for sure and Thanks for the insights into IrumbuKottai murattu singam.

Superb casting. Jeff Bridges, Ewan McGregor, George Clooney. It's serious if you are into paranormal stuff, and hillarious if you are not. I laughed my a** off.Took this quote from imdb, and yes, it's delivered by Jeff Bridges :notworthy: :

Bill Django: Mother Earth, you're my life support system. As a soldier I must drink your blue water, live inside your red clay and eat your green skin. Help me to balance myself. As you hold in balance, the Earth, the sea, and the space environments. Help me to open my heart, knowing that the Universe will feed me. I pray my boots will always kiss your face, and my footsteps match your heartbeat. Carry my body through space and time. You're my connection to the Universe and all that comes after. I'm yours and you are mine. I salute you.

And this (not involving Bridges):
General Brown: So they started doing psy-research because they thought we were doing psy-research, when in fact we weren't doing psy-research?
Brigadier General Dean Hopgood: Yes sir. But now that they *are* doing psy-research, we're gonna have to do psy-research, sir.
[leans forward]
Brigadier General Dean Hopgood: We can't afford to have the Russian's leading the field in the paranormal. :lol:

raghavendran
13th September 2010, 01:29 PM
expendables
oru 1960's M.G.R padam...STONE COLD kagedhan parthen..but use pannave ille...mokkai padam overall..cliched,clichednnu oru varthai irukku..HOLLYWOODLE IVVOLO IRUKKA? :shock:

AravindMano
13th September 2010, 01:32 PM
Talk To Her. Revisited. Trust Almodovar to make even the bizarre moments to be moving.

One thing that occurred to me during the first time i watched the film - Potential spoilers please - Is Benigno's sexuality purposefully made ambiguous? Or it's just me? Couldn't get rid off this thought even during the second watch. I somehow expected Benigno to fall in love with Marco (they love each other as friends, that's always there), may be because I was too conscious that I am watching Almodovar. But I am still not sure it's not that way.

Whatay film, anyways :notworthy: The Shriking man is a masterstroke!

One for that song :notworthy:

Vivasaayi
13th September 2010, 08:25 PM
Revisited Godfather 2

IMO, the most emotional sequence of the trilogy is the scenes related to the pentangli brothers.

The whole sequence of frankie 5 angels identifying his brother in the court, confirming with Tom about his brothers safety and then acepting the good roman deal.

The scene where Tom and frankie speaks after the court proceedings,with tom suggesting what frankie should do next and his family would be taken care of - probably the best scene of the trilogy...captures the whole mood of the Godfather saga.

groucho070
14th September 2010, 09:12 AM
expendables
oru 1960's M.G.R padam...STONE COLD kagedhan parthen..but use pannave ille...mokkai padam overall..cliched,clichednnu oru varthai irukku..HOLLYWOODLE IVVOLO IRUKKA? :shock:Shouldn't take it too seriously. If you have liked 80s action films, which are stupid fun, then you would like this. Athula urupadiyaana actor onee onnuthan, what were you expecting, Godfather pt 4? :D

Cinefan
14th September 2010, 11:25 AM
Invictus::Goosebump,tears well up in the eyes film.

Clint Eastwood :notworthy:

Both Morgon Freeman and Matt Damon were excellent but felt Freeman was lacking a bit in charisma,is it just me?Matt's was an emotional performance,I liked it!

The rugby scenes were superbly shot,felt as if I was watching it live!

ajaybaskar
14th September 2010, 03:35 PM
Even our KG was not very impressed with Freeman's performance IIRC.

raghavendran
14th September 2010, 05:00 PM
Invictus::Goosebump,tears well up in the eyes film.

Clint Eastwood :notworthy:

Both Morgon Freeman and Matt Damon were excellent but felt Freeman was lacking a bit in charisma,is it just me?Matt's was an emotional performance,I liked it!

The rugby scenes were superbly shot,felt as if I was watching it live!desperately wanna watch it

ajaybaskar
14th September 2010, 05:15 PM
Thambi,

Nee indha padatha paakkaamathaan 'Invictus'nu signature ella pottiyaa? Appo paathurundha....?

raghavendran
14th September 2010, 06:38 PM
Thambi,

Nee indha padatha paakkaamathaan 'Invictus'nu signature ella pottiyaa? Appo paathurundha....? :noteeth: pathirvennu oru indication kaagedhan potten...innum pakkale..matt damon kagedhan pakkanum..

ajithfederer
16th September 2010, 10:42 PM
Sherlock Holmes on Cable for the last couple of days. Good Entertainment. I'm up for any decent entertainment in "Buddy" films. Guru Sishyan, Rush hour series, Bad Boys. You name it, I like most of em.

RDJ is brilliant. Jude Law is a perfect. Rachel shines over RDJ brilliantly in some of the scenes written for her. Guy Ritchie has done a great job in setting up the period. Very Humorous in many scenes. I so wished Brad Pitt to play Moriarty in the sequel but it looks like the role has gone to Daniel day lewis. I would have loved to see Brad Pitt pitted against RDJ. Two of the finest flamboyant actors in our time.

ajithfederer
20th September 2010, 09:51 PM
Whip It (2009)

Drew Barrymore's directorial debut. Ellen Page is good as usual. It's a film about a teenage girl who joins a roller derby team in Austin Texas. Not bad.

varunlss12
21st September 2010, 12:36 PM
44 minutes the north hollywood shootout

Very nice movie... n its a true story tht happend at 1997.... Anyone loves to watch cop movie its good choice....

ajaybaskar
21st September 2010, 01:11 PM
Frozen

Watchable...

Querida
22nd September 2010, 06:29 AM
"Up In The Air"

Slick and smooth and the feel of "Lost in Translation"
Doesn't preach or offer up sugary endings,
Clooney manages "loner" while keeping "loser" at bay
Overall refreshing and capturing the gist of the times.

Querida
22nd September 2010, 06:31 AM
"It's Complicated"

Surprisingly funny and quirky mature comedy
Loved Meryl Streep (always have) and loved to hate Alec Baldwin.

Querida
22nd September 2010, 06:39 AM
"Public Enemies" and "Brooklyn's Finest"

Two movies from opposite sides of the criminal world

Public Enemies...doomed yet epic in its treatment, Depp is well measured in his portrayal as a gangster with a glorified status to live up to.

"Brooklyn's Finest" one of the few Gere movies I've watched..."Pretty Woman" just didn't do it for me...

Gere, Cheadle, Snipes all played their part but was especially taken with Ethan Hawke's vignette the most. Had the "CRASH-esque" feeling of intertwined stories that all join and twist.

groucho070
23rd September 2010, 07:28 AM
What Price Glory (1952)

Could this be Cagney's best? I think so. Fantastic (anti)war film.

groucho070
23rd September 2010, 07:38 AM
The Men (1950)

Brando's first feature film. How good was he? Think NT in Parasakthi.

ajaybaskar
23rd September 2010, 12:07 PM
Memories of Murder

Stunning.... Koreakaaranukku ivlo maaolaiya? :shock:

Cinefan
23rd September 2010, 06:42 PM
Sherlock Holmes: Well made film.Having read a lot of Holmes,had formed an image of his charcter.Forgot what it was but for about 45 min into the movie,knew it did not match the image formed.

Kept feeling that Watson(Jude Law)would have made a better Holmes.

This despite the fact that RD junior was playing it very well. Then the characterization seeped in and the film became complete.

Good production values,the era was created well and a well written script made it a good watch.RDJ and Jude Law shared a good chemistry.

But felt the BGM was out of sync with the scene in some places,sounded weird.

Once upon a time in the west: Good film if you can bear the first 50 minutes of 'nothing happening in slow motion'.

Gorgeously shot with all round good acting.

This film is a very good example of how BGM can elevate a scene,could feel the tension towards the climax and the BGM played a big hand in that.

kid-glove
23rd September 2010, 06:57 PM
Excuss me, first 50 minutes of OUATIW and 'nothing happening in slow motion' doesn't belong in the same sentence.

Agreed on BGM. It was composed first, and played on the sets for Leone to choreograph the visuals, to keep their union in proper sync and harmony.

Cinefan
23rd September 2010, 07:12 PM
Excuss me, first 50 minutes of OUATIW and 'nothing happening in slow motion' doesn't belong in the same sentence.

Agreed on BGM. It was composed first, and played on the sets for Leone to choreograph the visuals, to keep their union in proper sync and harmony.

k-g,we differ,I found it very very slow,was almost fidgeting,maybe trained by the fast pace of everything these days :D . Esp slow was the first 11 min where the three guys wait for Charles Bronson to arrive in the train.

kid-glove
23rd September 2010, 07:50 PM

k-g,we differ,I found it very very slow,was almost fidgeting,maybe trained by the fast pace of everything these days :D . Esp slow was the first 11 min where the three guys wait for Charles Bronson to arrive in the train.
But that elegiac tone IS consistently maintained throughout. Stylistic consistency, from start to finish, in conjunction with desert setup & amoral tone of its thematic premise, should pass for aesthetic consideration. The slow buildup to Harmonica's Intro is one of the best. Leone manipulates the natural sounds to fit the desolate mood of the place (which will be book-ended in the end with Buzzing Workers, Free Society, and Birth of a City). The creaking door to the windmill to the buzzing fly as the sweat drips down wrinkled face (typically Leone actors in their rusticity) - the indifference/bleakness of time and space - that breaks into explosive gun-play. Quick arms! And with harmonica in his mouth, the tacit, tactful avenger is introduced. And efficiently the narrative is driven forward from Harmonica to McBain family to Frank to Jill to Cheyenne. All the while it's maintained resourcefully "somber". So as to signify the death of "Old Wild West" as it were, and how the urbanization would change the mythic West and render these characters 'faceless' in passage of time. Both the White men are left dead by the end. Cheyenne's character passing away is as solemn as it could be. And Frank is much a product of time and place. Unlike Ford who sides with, and glorifies the White American in "Searchers", Leone doesn't take sides with Frank. He observes how Harmonica ('Native' American) gets back at Frank. The Harmonica(s), Frank(s), Jill(s) and Cheyenne(s) are nothing more than pawns who grazed these barren lands in sands of time.

VENKIRAJA
23rd September 2010, 10:22 PM

:exactly:
I cannot think of such a brilliant opening sequence in any movie at all. Closest ones that come to my mind are Being John Malkovich, TDK and maybe 2001 (if 20 minutes can still be called opening sequence)

VENKIRAJA
23rd September 2010, 10:25 PM

But that elegiac tone IS consistently maintained throughout. Stylistic consistency, from start to finish, in conjunction with desert setup & amoral tone of its thematic premise, should pass for aesthetic consideration. The slow buildup to Harmonica's Intro is one of the best. Leone manipulates the natural sounds to fit the desolate mood of the place (which will be book-ended in the end with Buzzing Workers, Free Society, and Birth of a City). The creaking door to the windmill to the buzzing fly as the sweat drips down wrinkled face (typically Leone actors in their rusticity) - the indifference/bleakness of time and space - that breaks into explosive gun-play. Quick arms! And with harmonica in his mouth, the tacit, tactful avenger is introduced. And efficiently the narrative is driven forward from Harmonica to McBain family to Frank to Jill to Cheyenne. All the while it's maintained resourcefully "somber". So as to signify the death of "Old Wild West" as it were, and how the urbanization would change the mythic West and render these characters 'faceless' in passage of time. Both the White men are left dead by the end. Cheyenne's character passing away is as solemn as it could be. And Frank is much a product of time and place. Unlike Ford who sides with, and glorifies the White American in "Searchers", Leone doesn't take sides with Frank. He observes how Harmonica ('Native' American) gets back at Frank. The Harmonica(s), Frank(s), Jill(s) and Cheyenne(s) are nothing more than pawns who grazed these barren lands in sands of time.

Very well written. Revisiting the site after a real long time and found it a rewarding experience. Was exactly like watching it on youtube. Kudos k_g.

ajithfederer
24th September 2010, 12:58 AM
:smokesmirk:. SH-2 is due to release on Dec 16, 2011.

Sherlock Holmes: Well made film.Having read a lot of Holmes,had formed an image of his charcter.Forgot what it was but for about 45 min into the movie,knew it did not match the image formed.

This despite the fact that RD junior was playing it very well. Then the characterization seeped in and the film became complete.

Good production values,the era was created well and a well written script made it a good watch.RDJ and Jude Law shared a good chemistry.

Puliyan_Biryani
24th September 2010, 01:43 AM
:smokesmirk:. SH-2 is due to release on Dec 16, 2011.

Who's playing Moriarity? Hope it is Pitt.

ajithfederer
24th September 2010, 01:44 AM
I too want Pitt but it seems it will be Daniel Day Lewis. Nothing is clear as of now.

kid-glove
24th September 2010, 01:47 AM
Guys, Pitt playing a British character :rotfl: Sure even RDJr is an American, but come on. :lol:

kid-glove
24th September 2010, 01:48 AM
Thanks Venki. Good to see you back here mate!

ajithfederer
24th September 2010, 01:50 AM
Why not?. Pitt will be good. He even played Achilles.

Guys, Pitt playing a British character :rotfl: Sure even RDJr is an American, but come on. :lol:

Puliyan_Biryani
24th September 2010, 01:52 AM
Pitt did play an Irishman's role in Devil's Own. It wasn't that bad, was it?

kid-glove
24th September 2010, 02:01 AM
Okay, let me rephrase, I don't mind Pitt playing British (it's not just an accent thing), but a crafty, sophisticated, slightly old erudite British gentleman? Unless it's a fast-talking inscrutable Pikey (as in Snatch), Pitt's got no chance IMO.
Feddy, Achilles and British?
Puliyan, Devil's Own, I haven't seen fully. But again that's well within his comfort zone. His accent wasn't authentic, but that role suited his persona, especially at that age. And yes, I find Pitt a reliable actor. His role selection over the years have been very good.

Puliyan_Biryani
24th September 2010, 02:27 AM
A Bronx Tale - A very simple boy coming-of-age story. A young boy is attracted towards a neighborhood gangster and against the wishes of his upright father becomes a sort of adopted son to the gangster. He realizes before it is too late that both his father and the gangster have been telling/advising him the same thing albeit a bit differently.

Robert De Niro plays the rigid but caring father and Chazz Palminteri plays the gangster. Both were perfect in their roles. Yes, Palminteri was so good that I didn't even miss Bobby playing the gangster role. Not sure why we/I haven't seen Palminteri in more mainstream movies :huh:.

Didn't like Good Shepherd much, so I was a bit apprehensive to watch this movie as it was directed by De Niro. But he has done a good job. The story is based on Palminteri's real life experiences and he has written the script as well. Overall, a nice and enjoyable movie.

ajithfederer
24th September 2010, 02:34 AM
Similarities as in characters from Literature/Novels. SH-2 will be an action film and it will be great to see RDJ against Brad Pitt. The minuses will be minimized categorically.

p_b You mean The Good shepherd(2006). Matt damon, Ang jolie starrer?. Thats a very serious film. Liked only by me here :lol:.

Puliyan_Biryani
24th September 2010, 02:47 AM
Okay, let me rephrase, I don't mind Pitt playing British (it's not just an accent thing), but a crafty, sophisticated, slightly old erudite British gentleman? Unless it's a fast-talking inscrutable Pikey (as in Snatch), Pitt's got no chance IMO.
Puliyan, Devil's Own, I haven't seen fully. But again that's well within his comfort zone. His accent wasn't authentic, but that role suited his persona, especially at that age. And yes, I find Pitt a reliable actor. His role selection over the years have been very good.
Ritchie's take on the characters is a bit different. I had to completely shut out my idea of Holmes and Watson while watching RDJ and JL (especially the fist fight sequences). So I am kind of expecting Ritchie's Moriarty to be also a bit more than eccentric. Mixing the Pikey and Rusty (Ocean series), I can sort of envision Pitt playing the character well. The performance may not be as good as DDL, but it would definitely worth watching. And the box office pull would be doubled (with due respect to DDL) if RDJ and Pitt are pitted against each other.

But knowing Pitt's search for the Oscar (Assassination of Jesse James :yawn:, CC of BB), he might choose to skip this one.

kid-glove
24th September 2010, 02:53 AM
Edho solringa rendu perum..pappOm..

As for Assassination, it's excellent. CC of BB was a Yawn for me. :)

Puliyan_Biryani
24th September 2010, 02:55 AM
p_b You mean The Good shepherd(2006). Matt damon, Ang jolie starrer?. Thats a very serious film. Liked only by me here :lol:.
Yeah, that's the culprit :D. Not sure if I was in a bad mood while watching it, but felt disengaged after the first 30 minutes. Never really got back on. So I guess you will continue be the only one for a while :D.

ajithfederer
24th September 2010, 03:02 AM
I liked CC off BB too and I have to watch Assasination of Jesse James soon. It was on Cable all year last year but I never watched it.

The Good Shepherd is a great story on the early orgins of CIA from WW2 to the brink of Cold war. Many will have issues with Damon's acting and I myself am not convinced yet. But the take home is De Niro's Direction. I mean very few would venture into such grey areas and I am glad that he did this. The spy war between Damon and Ulysses is great with The russian agent outsmarting Damon most of the times. John Turturro was excellent. The film is a semi-fictional biography and you need to have a lot of patience to watch the film. Me being a history/drama buff I have watched what few could have done, watching the film multiple times :lol:.

Spoilers:
P.S: A stunner shot in the film was that the pregnant girl friend of Damon's son being thrown off from a plane. I just DID NOT expect that. Spoiler ends.

kid-glove
24th September 2010, 03:03 AM
Btw, TWBB and Assassinations were made with 25m and 30m respectively, while TWBB made triple its making cost & is a box office Hit, Assassinations was a super flop, not even recovering half its making cost. #justsaying #ThangaThalaivarDDLVazhga

ajithfederer
24th September 2010, 03:07 AM
Nine -nnu oru padam vandhuchu :lol2:.

Btw, TWBB and Assassinations were made with 25m and 30m respectively, while TWBB made triple its making cost & is a box office Hit, Assassinations was a super flop, not even recovering half its making cost. #justsaying #ThangaThalaivarDDLVazhga

kid-glove
24th September 2010, 03:12 AM
It ran reasonably well initially, hit with French audience, and collected sizable amount for one man wOnly :yessir:

Puliyan_Biryani
24th September 2010, 03:14 AM
Nine -nnu oru padam vandhuchu :lol2:.

This movie title,story and cast has always made me think of Navarathinam (MGR's own version of Navaraathri) :lol:. Never ventured into watching the Nine though.

Puliyan_Biryani
24th September 2010, 03:28 AM
It ran reasonably well initially, hit with French audience, and collected sizable amount for one man wOnly :yessir:
Errr, isn't Marion Cotillard French? So there could be some other factors for the sizable amount. Just kidding k_g :D.

kid-glove
24th September 2010, 03:32 AM
It was a disappointing film. But if you like some of the actors (DDL, Cruz, Cotillard to name few) you wouldn't be fully disappointed! Cotillard and Cruz were both beautiful, but the film felt over stylized. Like pages of Vogue magazine slid in front of us. That tinge of theatricality that you expect in meesicals is misused too. All said and done, DDL's acting is superlative at moments. The pain isn't in the plot, but in the face, often with remarkable restraint and nuance. That's why he's such a great actor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71yQMmyVQAc&feature=related

kid-glove
24th September 2010, 03:33 AM
Errr, isn't Marion Cotillard French? So there could be some other factors for the sizable amount. Just kidding k_g :D.
Theriyin...adhan escape ayittEn :lol:

Puliyan_Biryani
24th September 2010, 03:35 AM
Me being a history/drama buff I have watched what few could have done, watching the film multiple times :lol:.
:notworthy:. Will give it another shot on one of my better days :oops:.

Spoilers:
P.S: A stunner shot in the film was that the pregnant girl friend of Damon's son being thrown off from a plane. I just DID NOT expect that. Spoiler ends.
Spoilers begin: Damon also didn't know that she was pregnant when he ordered the kill. Would've been better if he knew it before and still went ahead. Yes, naan konjam kolaiveriyodadhaan padam paappen :twisted: :Spoilers end.

Puliyan_Biryani
24th September 2010, 03:43 AM
I am allergic to meesicals. Watched/completed The Phantom of the Opera in 20 minutes. Have been relentlessly pushing Sweeney Todd to the back of the pile for the last year. No offence to DDL but would definitely stay away from the Nine as well.

Querida
24th September 2010, 06:21 AM
I am allergic to meesicals. Watched/completed The Phantom of the Opera in 20 minutes. Have been relentlessly pushing Sweeney Todd to the back of the pile for the last year. No offence to DDL but would definitely stay away from the Nine as well.

You either love' em or hate them...I've been to live musicals (Dirty Dancing, Jersey Boys :thumbsup:, Mamma Mia) where fans promise, almost demand that's it's impossible not to be left breathless/amazed yada, yada, yada...still not convinced.

Movies as musicals I've managed to watch and liked : "Chicago", "West Side Story" (though very cliched), "The Producers"

and when I was a child, parts of "mary poppins" and "the sound of music" (I never manage to stay awake for the whole thing).

"King and I" (cartoon actually) though it was insulting really with all that western patronization... :rant:

"My Fair Lady" I love Audrey but her accent after a very short while can really grate on your nerves... :x

groucho070
24th September 2010, 07:05 AM
DDL as Moriarty would be fantawesome! Sorry for that vocab, but yeah, there is supposed to be a slithering reptile like quality in the prof in the stories that suits DDL to a tee.

VENKIRAJA
24th September 2010, 10:48 AM
Whatever happened to the *documentary* part of the thread title!
Watched a couple of documentaries on Architecture:

1. Sketches of Frank Gehry - On the greatest contemporary we've got. His evolution of the design process, realisation of his initial scribbles on cartridge sheets to the real thing. Very well shot.
2. Vida 'u em Sopro (or something close to that in Spanish) About Oscar Niemeyer, His association with Le Corbusier and works in and around Brasilia. It is all about the pleasure of watching a man sketch.

Downloaded another one called Visual Acoustics (2008) on an architectural photographer Julius Shulman: Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8sS7jQsaPY)

ajaybaskar
24th September 2010, 10:49 AM
Righteous Kill

Terrific casting for a mediocre movie.

Puliyan_Biryani
24th September 2010, 01:31 PM
Movies that make grown men cry :huh:

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/blog/article/37592/movies-that-make-grown-men-cry.html

kid-glove
24th September 2010, 04:13 PM
DDL as Moriarty would be fantawesome! Sorry for that vocab, but yeah, there is supposed to be a slithering reptile like quality in the prof in the stories that suits DDL to a tee.

:exactly:

m_karthik
27th September 2010, 09:55 AM
A Johnny Depp Weekend...

The Brave - 1997 - Directed and Co-written by Johnny Depp himself. Only directed film

Blow - 2001 - A biopic about George Jung, an affiliate in a Colombian Drug Cartel

A Brazilian film - Ultimo Parada 174.. Fiction story Based on a bus hijacker in Brazil

Querida
29th September 2010, 06:24 AM
"When Worlds Collide: The Untold Story of the Americas After Columbus" proved to be a captivating documentary with focus on:

1) South America (New world) before contact
2) The New world after contact
3) The influence of the New world on Europe
4) The influence of Europe on the New World
5) The mixing (mestizo) culture that has come from it

With the overall theme of "mestizo" culture and how this mixture of cultures, races, and religions influences each of these worlds was in part fascinating and horrific. There is a contention within the doc when it comes to dealing with the mixture of religion which was not looked into in depth but would prove interesting as well.

While there is a prevailing negativity towards the Spanish Colonizers (who could blame him?) there is also a strong push to prove how advanced, prosperous and positive the various Americas cultures were (Inca, Maya, Aztecs).

The bgm deserves special mention as well.

ajaybaskar
30th September 2010, 11:38 AM
Lock, Stock and two smoking barrels

Not as good as 'Snatch'. But still watchable..

Vivasaayi
30th September 2010, 08:54 PM
Lock, Stock and two smoking barrels

Not as good as 'Snatch'. But still watchable..

You are the first person to say this in hub... :)

For me LSTSB was way better than snatch

littlemaster1982
30th September 2010, 08:55 PM
I share the same view of Ajay. Liked Snatch better than Lock Stock. May be because I watched Snatch first.

Querida
1st October 2010, 07:48 AM
Yeah "Snatch" I enjoyed more than "Lock, Stock..." has anyone watched "Layer Cake"?

"Rock n Rolla" was pretty good too.

ajithfederer
1st October 2010, 11:01 PM
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the-social-network/#

Fincher's social network has opened up to great reviews. I hope to catch it this week.

kid-glove
2nd October 2010, 01:25 AM
Fincher's Social Network opens Mumbai film festival too!

kid-glove
2nd October 2010, 01:26 AM
I watched all Ritchie films in chronological order. I'd rate "Lock stock.." as his best film, way better than Snatch. Agree with Vicky.

kid-glove
2nd October 2010, 01:34 AM
Querida,
"Layer Cake" is rather good (Vaughn's Ritchie-inspired formalism). "Stardust" is like one of those workable Disney ventures. OTOH, I found "Kickass" to be 'meh' - even stylistically, and above all, ethically deplorable (And I'm not one of those tight-asses in terms of violence on screen)..Vaughn's consistent divergence in style & tone makes him a less exciting filmmaker in my view. Some would say "versatile".