PDA

View Full Version : Learn Tamil Through TFM

Oldposts
22nd January 2005, 02:20 PM
Topic started by tigger (@ 68.78.33.162) on Sun Apr 13 12:13:57 EDT 2003.

Hi all,

I have learnt lots of Tamil words through tfm, but there are so many words that I still dont know the meaning of. I would love to improve my Tamil vocabulary, but resources are limited. I was wondering if we can have a thread that helps out in this regard. People post the words they dont understand and someone who knows responds with the answer. For this to succeed the old-timers have to get involved, bcos I dont know many younger guys who know much Tamil words :)

Ex.

1. samsaaram enbathu veenai..santhosham enbathu raagam.. xxx xxx illai
I used xxx because I dont even know what he was saying. was it "salanam galadhi illai"? What does that mean?

2. En mana vaanil siragai virikkum.. from Kasi. There is a line kalakalakala vena thulli kuthikkum sinnanchiru kalaiyey.. what does kalai mean?

3. Anjanam. What does it mean? (Used in various songs)

4. Uchi vaguntheduthu pichu poo vacha kili..What does this mean?

Please answer people!

Oldposts
Old responses (http://tfmpage.com/forum/21879.4098.12.13.57.html)

Oldposts
curses: attrai = anru , anraiya = of that day
It also means 'daily'. thingal = moon, month
attrai thingal = moon of that day

Oldposts
i remember "attrai thingal" to have come in some other Rahman song..

Oldposts
Thamizh vaazhga!! :)

Oldposts
curses,

andha vaazhapazham dhaanga idhu ;)
That's what started the whole topic - page up for details!

Oldposts
never knew in my life that Monday has something to do with moon or Thingal with 'nila'!! no wonder, spanish its lunes and french its lundi - variation of lune(moon).

Oldposts

It is amazing how this is true even in the case of languages as disparate as thamizh and samskritham (Monday is soamavaasarah; soamah = the moon.) I won't be surprised if there is some conection in German too, given that the two words share the first three letters.

Oldposts
Prabhu et al: It is Montag in German! I am sure
you know it is Gnayiru (=Sun) for Sunday! Sonntag in German.

Oldposts
Raj,

That's what I meant - MONtag and MONday!

Oldposts
song:"oru oril azhagey oruvai"
film:"kaaka kaaka"

"Vanjaigal than irrukkum"
what is Vanjaigal? or vanjai

Oldposts
Senty: Vaanjai = affection, love, fondness

Oldposts
A tangential post on 'atrai':

From: Peter Pan (@ 170.140.252.66) on: Mon Sep 30 17:08:20 EDT 2002

To hear how to pronounce Tra, listen to SJ's 'kAtril Endhan Geetam' from Johny or 'Then MERkku paruvak kAtru' from kaRuthamma.
To hear how NOT to pronounce 'Ra', listen to Bombay Jayshree's 'ATraith ThingaL... ORRai... koRRa poigai' portion of Iruvar's 'NaRumugayE' song.

Oldposts
Other "RRa" violators that I have noticed: Mano (in fact, at one time, that used to be a good way to tell his songs apart from SPB's!), Vasundhara in "Dating" (boys), going "kaRka kasadaRa kattttRavai katttttRapin ;). These can be excused, since these people probably did not learn Tamil formally in an academic environment. The one that has me puzzled for quite some time is SPB in "July maadham vandhaal" (pudhiya mugam), singing "kaadu malaigaL dhaesangaL kaaNboamaa kaatttRaik kaeL", given that he has always pronounced it flawlessly all these years. (I wonder if it was a dig at Mano ;) - highly unlikely since SPB is the ultimate gentleman!) Maybe that's how Vairamuthu pronounced it - anybody remember/know how VM pronounces it in his interviews? Anybody know the history behind this?

Oldposts
senty: Narumukaiye Narumukaiye song.
I listened to the song from MIO and found the lyrics in Dhool. The song uses lot of archaic words/phrases from Sangam period. Meaning for some of the words: mukai = bud, mottu (Tamil); narumukai = good bud, fragrant bud, fragrant blossom, sweet bud; nazhikai = old tme measure used here as a minute or second. sattru nazhikai = a little while; senkani = ripe fruit or almost ripe fruit; ooriya = oozing (as from a spring},flowing or soaked (as in pickle) ; senkani ooriya vaai thiranthu = part your sweet lips ; tharalam = pearl ; kottram = sovereign, king or kingship.
In gist:
Oh sweet bud! Oh sweet bud! Wait a little while
Part your sweet lips and say something beautiful!
That day in the moonlight with water dropping from your forehead like pearls,
Were you the one taking a dip in the sovereign's stream?
The song is very long. If you like I can post a few lines at a time.
Just curious? Is the movie based on a historical novel dating back to Sangam period?

Oldposts
Raj, one Iruvar review : http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/3649/iruvarrev.html (http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/3649/iruvarrev.html
)

I assume you havent had the time to catch up on most movies. The best place I'd recommend for a review is http://www.geocities.com/bbreviews (http://www.geocities.com/bbreviews
)
Very smooth style of writing, professionalism evident in his insights, easily engages the reader and brief to the right extent.

Oldposts
However he didnt have a review of Iruvar, hence the alternate link.

Oldposts
Prabhu: You are right! I have been out of India for so long I have not seen most of the movies in the last three decades. Thanks for the links. Some movie enthusiasts used to bring some movies and screen it in the local theatres. With Sun TV I am getting a very strong dose of movies. Looks like it will be a long time before I catch up. Thanks again.

Oldposts
hi friends, can anyone please explain the context of this song?
Who is the lyricist? Thanks!

allith thandha boomi annaiyallavaa
sollith thandha vaanam thandhaiyallavaa
aadumnaal paadumnaal thaalangal - ini
aanandham aanandham vaarungal

saevai seydha kaatrae paesaayoa
shaemangal laabangal thaanoa
palli senra kaalap paadhaigalae
paalangal maadangal aahaa
purandu oadum nadhimagal
irandu karaiyum kavidhaigal
kaniththa kaalam valarththa ninaivugal
ilamai ninaivai isaikkum therukkal

kaaval seyyum koattai kaanaayoa
kangalin seedhanam thaanoa
kalli ninra kaattil mullaigalae
kaaranamaadhanum thaenoa
viriyum pookkal paalangal
visiriyaadum naanalgal
maraththin vaerum magizhchchip padukkaiyae
pazhaiya soagam iniyum illai

what do the above 2 lines imply?

Oldposts
what does 'kalabh kadhala" mean
from ondra renda , kaaka kaaka

Oldposts
pk: kalaabam is peacock feather. kalabam is some perfumed paste. May be he had some perfumed paste on him! Or he is likened to Muruga who wears the feather on his forehead! I have not seen the movie to understand the context.

Oldposts
Prabhu: Can you give me a link for the song? Looks like somebody is reminiscent of the childhood days and comes back to the same place/village with a lover. He/she sees the roots above ground of a tree to recline (bed). He forgets the hardships of his childhood.

Oldposts
Prabhu: The song is available in MIO. The lyricist is Madakar Kannan. I never heard of him. Movie-'Nandu' 1981.

Oldposts
Prabhu: I listened to the song. Some corrections to what you gave as lyrics:
Thaniththa kaalam (lonely time)
Kaaranam maadhu enum then - the reason: a woman who is honey (sweet).
Obviously, the boy was lonely as a child and everything changes with the arrival of a sweet girl in his life.

Oldposts
Thanks a lot Raj for the correction and explanation. Copy of the song is available here
http://www.angelfire.com/tn/justkool/Alli.zip

Oldposts
whats the meaning of 'thandhu' ?

it comes in the song 'Unna vida' from Virumaandi - like this

yaaru solli thandhu vandhathu....

Oldposts
geeth,

Extremely simple! 'yaaru sollith thandhu vandhathu' means

'(inthap pazhakkam) {or some such thing}, yaar solliththandhu (enakku) vandhathu?!' i.e.,'Who taught me this habit?!'

Oldposts
thanks CV. imptuthaana! i got confused because of the gap between 'solli' and 'thandhu'.

Oldposts
"I assume you havent had the time to catch up on most movies. The best place I'd recommend for a review is http://www.geocities.com/bbreviews "

So simple, lucid, down to earth reviews. Kudos to Mr. Balaji.

Oldposts
Is he the same Balaji who is involved with SP website as well as with tfmpage?

Oldposts
no prabhakar, they are totally different.

Oldposts
Guys two small clarifications:
1. is the red color pearl stone called as pavazham or pavaLam?
2. what is black in tamil - kaRuppu or karuppu. i have seen in many places these two "Ru" and "ru" are used.
If someone knows please clarify

Thanks

Oldposts
GCT-Kuil: You posted this query in pp thread. I answered there. It is 'pavaLam' as found in ancient poems. It is 'karuppu'

Oldposts
it is pronounced both as "pavaLam" and "pavazham".

Oldposts
I think there is a word Pavizham in Malayalam, is this in any way related to the tamil pavaLam or pavazham?

Oldposts
GCT-Kuil,

There are some rules regarding kaRuppu/ karumai (which are perhaps the most disobeyed!)

When you mean black clour, you say 'kaRuppu', as in 'kaRuppu niRam' or 'koonthal kaRuppu'.
When you use it as an adjective , it should be 'kaNNaa, karumai niRak kaNNaa'or 'karunkoonthal', or 'karuneela sattai', or 'karunthEL kaNNaayiram'.

Again, while writing 'karuppan' or 'karuppiah', I think the rule is flouted maximum!

Oldposts
what does aRumbum(spelling?) thaLirE mean?

Oldposts
Raj,
Thanks. Yeah you replied in PP thread. I posted here prior to that.

CV,
That was a nice clarification. I have observed the same way as you quoted.

Thanks for the clarification

Oldposts
Sriram,

it should be arumbum, I think. It means the young leaflets that are blossoming in the plants.

Oldposts
Curses kku ippo arumbu meesai irukku :-D

Oldposts
adhai ippadi sollaNum, Mr. Ferrari!

"Curses kku ippO arumbu meesai thaLir vittu irukku"!

Oldposts
Sriram: arumbu means bud. arumbum = budding or sprouting.

Oldposts
thaLir vittu irukkaa illai thuLir vittu irukkaa?

Oldposts
Thamizh kathukaradhu-nu mudivaiduchu... naan thaan kedchena example-ku! :)

Oldposts
thanks all. arumbu = bud, I guessed as much, but there is another song whcih goes "arumbAgi mottAgi poovAgi". So I was wondering if arumbu (chinna r or periya R?) refers to a pre-bud stage, bud-lite if you will:-)

Oldposts
Nee illai. Unnoda arumbu meesai :-))

Oldposts
Ferrari: Both thaLir and thuLir can be used for
sprouts and young leaves. bud/sprout = arumbu (with small r), mottu, thaLir, thuLir. With flowers it is arumbu or mottu. With leaves it is thaLir or thuLir. It is also used for young girls. Depends on what the song calls for and with what rhyme!

Oldposts
OK, here is some more!
'thaLir' refers to the pre-budding staage of a flower---poonthaLir,senthaLir etc
'thuLir' refers to the pre-budding stage of a fruit bearing leaves- maanthuLir[mango leaves], vEppanthulir etc.
appuRam, andha 'young girls' vishayam... naan varallappaa indha aattaththukku!

Oldposts
i dunno if this has been discussed before but...

what does sagi mean?

the song "pachai niramey pachai niramey.." from alai payuthey starts with the lines "sagiye..snegithiyey.."

the song "thoothu selvatharadi.." from singaravelan has a line where the female sings "kael en sagi sagi.." (listen... my sagi?!!)

Oldposts
tigger: saki means friend (thozhi in Tamil) or companion.

Oldposts
What is the tamil word for 'walrus'? :-)

Oldposts
walrus = kadal kudhirai

Oldposts
walrus could be called as kadal naai ;-)
<a name="last"></a>

hehehewalrus
24th January 2005, 03:37 AM
why dont u make a new year resolution to stop kozhappifying? :twisted:

xlntbarani
8th April 2005, 08:23 PM
Hi all..

I need pure tamil poetic words for the below listed word...

prefac, abstract, introduction, critics, aims, objectives, materials, methods, procedure, analysis, observation, findings, results, discussion, conclusion, decision, determination, drive(will power), design, deployment, development, reference, review of literature, tables, figures, illustration, statistics, psychology, philosophy, thinking, sinking, winking...

Thank you all for doing this favor...

rajraj
8th April 2005, 09:15 PM
Barani,
Looks like you are writing a book or translating a book. I will take a few words at a time and give you what comes to my mind.

Preface: munnurai, mukavurai
abstract: surukkam
introduction: arimukam, puguthudhal
critic: vimarsagar
aim: ilakku, kurikkoL
objective: ilakku,kurikkoL, nokkam
method: murai
material: poruL
procedure: sei murai

I am not sure whether these are 'poetic'. A lexicon is the best source. These days poems have common words! :)

9th April 2005, 12:23 AM
Here is the rest. plz correct whatever is wrong.

analysis - aaraichi,
observation - nOttam,
findings - mudivugal(??),
results - mudivugal,
discussion - vivaadham,
conclusion - mudivu,
decision - theerpu,
determination - mana urudhi,
drive(will power) - mana urudhi,
design - seyarthittam
deployment - ubayogithal
development - munnetram
reference - kurippu,
review of literature, - paathirangalin marupaarvai
tables - kattangal
figures - varaippadangal,
illustration - same as above,
statistics - pulliyiyal,
psychology - mano thaththuvayiyal
philosophy - thathuvayiyal
thinking, sinking, winking - why asking??

skanthan
23rd January 2006, 03:17 AM
Hello.

en pEr SkanthavEl NadarAjA. naan thamizh katRukkoLLa vEndum. I was learning Tamil previously and then my learning has stopped. Since two years ago, I have not done much Tamil learning. May I post some of my most recent notes for correction here? I hope that one day, I will be a fluent Tamil speaker. I know Tamil alphabets and I can read quite well.

rajraj
28th January 2006, 04:24 AM
Yes skanthan! We will be happy to help you! :)

skanthan
28th January 2006, 09:17 AM
Rajraj et al,

Help me out on my "Learning Tamil" thread in miscellanious section. I am posting all my Tamil lessons both previous ones and new ones along with my queries in regards to Tamil and my previous experiences with learning. I feel safer to do all my Tamil learning/post my queries there than to post my queries all over the forum. This way, I can look back on that thread when I forget some words or how to write it properly. :)

kandeeban
22nd May 2009, 07:07 PM
Topic started by tigger (@ 68.78.33.162) on Sun Apr 13 12:13:57 EDT 2003.

1. samsaaram enbathu veenai..santhosham enbathu raagam.. xxx xxx illai
I used xxx because I dont even know what he was saying. was it "salanam galadhi illai"? What does that mean?

Salanangal adhil illai (no waverings in it)

salanam=waver

rajraj
24th September 2011, 05:31 AM
Q:

"uLLabadi yogam uLLavarkku"

yogam = luck or fitness depending on the context.

I had to listen to the song to understand the context. Looks like he lost his lover to another man and sings this song. The message conveyed is : " if indeed you had luck on your side you would have gotten what you desired"

Literal meaning: If indeed you had luck whatever seed you plant would grow into a tree.

Querida
27th September 2011, 10:37 AM
:ty: very much, I really like this song and thought Valli's lyrics was a very strong point to this song...so wanted to know for sure what the lyrics meant. Am indebted to you for sure :D I'm thinking it's like when they say "kodutha vachaven" what it is exactly they are giving and keeping is not exactly clear to me...perhaps karma?

uzfuvebano
8th October 2012, 12:24 PM
"geetha.. sangeetha" song from movie Anbey Sangeetha, there is a line that goes:

..oru panjanaiyil iru pyngiligal oodum, vilaiyadum..

what does this line mean?

Thanks!

app_engine
8th October 2012, 08:55 PM
..oru panjanaiyil iru pyngiligal oodum, vilaiyadum..

IIRC, that line goes like 'koodum, viLaiyAdum' (should listen to the song again to confirm).

Which is pretty straight forward - 'koodum = have intercourse', 'viLaiyAdum = play'.

If it really is 'oodum, viLaiyAdum', it makes sense then too. As 'oodal' that means "friction / saNdai / kObiththukkoLLudhal" etc, is also part of the man-woman relationship. Once the couple reconcile their differences ("sealed with a kiss" at times), then there'll be "viLaiyAdal in panjaNai" - means, "play on the bed" :lol2:

BTW, phrase by phrase translation:

oru panjaNaiyil = on one bed
iru paingiLikaL = two parrots (man & woman)
oodum = 'kOvichchukkum' / fight (or 'koodum' = 'sEndhukkum' / have relation)
viLaiyAdum = play

uzfuvebano
9th October 2012, 01:19 PM
Thanks app_engine! konjam earthyaavey explain panniteenga.. :)

i listened to the song again.. sounds like oodum.. and imo the meaning in oodum feels better than koodum. i know manjam means bed - used in many songs. have never heard the word panjanai except in this song. lovely lovely song! thanks again!

app_engine
9th October 2012, 09:01 PM
i know manjam means bed - used in many songs. have never heard the word panjanai except in this song.

You're right - manjam is bed.

"panjaNai" is literally panju+aNai, i.e. panju meththai. In other words, just the cotton-filled mattress (not the whole bed) :-)

app_engine
10th October 2012, 12:06 AM
Another famous song with 'panjaNai' -

'inbamE undhan pEr peNmaiyO' from idhayakkani (MGR padam, the movie's director A Jagannathan passed away a few days back).

One of the saraNams starts like this :

panjaNai vENdumO? nenjaNai pOdhumE!
(Meaning : Why need a cotton mattress / pillow? Isn't the bosom enough?)

uzfuvebano
22nd November 2012, 05:02 PM
Another famous song with 'panjaNai' -

'inbamE undhan pEr peNmaiyO' from idhayakkani (MGR padam, the movie's director A Jagannathan passed away a few days back).

One of the saraNams starts like this :

panjaNai vENdumO? nenjaNai pOdhumE!
(Meaning : Why need a cotton mattress / pillow? Isn't the bosom enough?)

I came across a few more songs with panjanai.

song: iravu mudinthuvidum... mudinthaal.. (from list of PBS hits)
lines:
anji anji vanthavalai alli kondaye
nenjamenum panjanaiyil palli kondaye

song: thamthana thamthana thazham varum
line: malligai mullaiyil panjanaio

***I have another question****

movie: auto raja
song: malare ennanna kolam

irukkum vargangal rendu
ulagil ippothum undu
samaveli malaigalai thazhuvida ninaithaal vazhi ethu, mudiyathu

what does vargangal and samaveli mean?

Thanks!

NOV
22nd November 2012, 05:08 PM
vargangal = plural of vargam = classes

samaveli = valley/lowlands

SoftSword
22nd November 2012, 05:11 PM
samaveli - plains..

uzfuvebano
28th November 2012, 12:44 PM
NOV and SoftSword, thanks for the explanation!

I did not watch the movie auto raaja, so do not know the context. by vargangal rendu does he mean the rich/poor class?

NOV
28th November 2012, 05:08 PM
I guess you have to see the whole song to understand the context.

அழுதிடும் குழந்தையின் அம்புலி பருவம் என்னோடு நான் கண்டேன்
இருக்கும் வர்கங்கள் ரெண்டு உலகில் இப்போதும் உண்டு
சமவெளி மலைகளை தழுவிட நினைத்தால்
வழியேது முடியாது வழியேது முடியாது
மலரே என்னென்ன கோலம் எதனால் என் மீது கோபம்
தினமும் வெவ்வேறு நிறமோ இது தான் உன்னோடு அழகோ

Looks like its about rich and poor indeed.

uzfuvebano
24th December 2013, 06:35 AM
Hi all!

song: maan kanda sorgangal.
movie: 47 naatkal
line: than vazhi selgindraal, sanjalam kolgindraal
what does sanjalam mean?

song: mazhai mazhai
movie: moondru per moondru kadhal
line: thayakkam endraal.. ithazhin nadanam, mayakkam endraal.. manadhin nadanam, kirakkam endraal.. kannin nadanam
what does kirakkam mean?

Thanks!

NOV
24th December 2013, 07:15 AM
what does sanjalam mean?dilemma

what does kirakkam mean?கிராகம் means tortoise

uzfuvebano
25th December 2013, 10:42 AM
NOV,

thanks for the explanation. but is kirakkam same as kiraaham? looking at the line in the song, thayakkam, mayakkam refer to emotions. so tortoise? does not fit in.. is there any other meaning?

Thanks!

NOV
25th December 2013, 05:00 PM
ok, I had to check and listen to the song :)

its not கிராகம் but கிரக்கம் which means being dizzy or giddy :D

uzfuvebano
31st December 2013, 10:24 AM
"dizzy" sounds better. thanks for the explanation - helps me enjoy this beautiful song better. :)

regards.

uzfuvebano
9th October 2014, 10:40 PM
hello all,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH7VN13rjZI

movie: veppam
song: mazhai varum arikuri.. en vizhigalil theriyuthe,
manam ingu nenaiyuthe, ithu kaadhalaa saadhalaa?

what a stylish lovely song, and awesome lines too.. but any idea what saadhal means?

rajraj
10th October 2014, 01:23 AM
hello all,

[url] ithu kaadhalaa saadhalaa? any idea what saadhal means?

saadhal = death
kaadhalaa saadhalaa = love or death

:)

uzfuvebano
10th October 2014, 09:29 AM
Thanks Raj.. based on her acting I was not expecting that meaning.. maybe it was meant to be tongue-in-cheek!

uzfuvebano
30th November 2018, 07:47 AM
it's been a while now.. but wanted to see if I can still get answers here.

movie: kashmir kadhali
song: azhagiya sennira vaanam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDiwXWkMU0M

1st chararanam. what does saagasam mean?
காணாமல் காண்பதெல்லாம்
பெண்மானின் சாகசம்

2nd charanam. what does andhaadhi mean?
ஆணோடு பெண்மை இங்கே
ஒன்றாக ஆவது
அந்தாதி நான்
பாடவோ கூடவோ

NOV
30th November 2018, 09:56 AM
சாகசம் - adventure/courage

அந்தாதி - made up of two words: andham (end) aadhi (beginning) meaning "end is the beginning is the end is the beginning"
Two songs in Moondru Mudichu illustrate this: vasantha kaala nadhigalile and aadi velli thedi unnai...