PDA

View Full Version : Kutti Thala RAINA- The Future of Indian cricket

Pages : [1] 2

Vivasaayi
14th April 2010, 08:54 PM
RAINA - The clean hitter.

An aggressive young batsman who has dismantled bowling attacks across the country. A string of fine performances at the junior levels - where he frequently bullied his way to double-hundreds - landed him a spot in the India Under-19 squad. His 620 runs in six games, in the 2005-06 season, propelled Uttar Pradesh to Ranji Trophy glory and a couple of composed knocks, when given the opportunity in one-dayers, got Rahul Dravid to gush: "Raina has shown what a phenomenal player he can turn into." His electric fielding added zing to the one-day side and it came as no surprise when, even before getting an ODI fifty, he was fast-tracked into the Test side against England in March 2006, and on the subsequent tour to the West Indies. However, his early promise turned into a false dawn - he couldn't manage a half-century in 15 innings - and lost his place in the one-day side on the South African tour. He played two ODIs in January 2007 but was not recalled until a year later, when India named their 16-man squad for the CB Series in Australia. Raina finally played to his true potential in the Asia Cup, slamming two centuries and finishing the second-highest run-getter.

Lets discuss abt this prodigious chennai/Indian Batsman.

VinodKumar's
14th April 2010, 09:05 PM
:clap: :clap: Vivasayi.

Rocky89
14th April 2010, 09:10 PM
Yesterday his hair pulling was :rotfl2: 1st he did it to Murali and then Bollinger.. :lol:

vanchi
14th April 2010, 09:10 PM
required one
vivasayi :clap:

lawmani
14th April 2010, 09:56 PM
I'm in. Hope he stays with CSK next year as well.

Sourav
16th April 2010, 07:18 AM
:clap: :bow: Vivs... :thumbsup:
swashbuckling batsman, excellent fielder, handy bowler... :bow:
he has never scored a duck in entire IPl :o :clap:

vivs, "Raina - Future of Indian Cricket" nu title vaccha perfect-a irukkum ...

nesstu test match-la oru permanent place... short-pitch balls prob mattum correct pannittana onnum asaichukka mudiyathu, asaichukka mudiyathu... :P

littlemaster1982
16th April 2010, 07:20 AM
short-pitch balls prob mattum correct pannittana onnum asaichukka mudiyathu, asaichukka mudiyathu... :P

He needs to work on his shot selection too. That's a bigger weakness than facing short balls.

Vivasaayi
16th April 2010, 09:42 PM
:clap: :bow: Vivs... :thumbsup:
swashbuckling batsman, excellent fielder, handy bowler... :bow:
he has never scored a duck in entire IPl :o :clap:

vivs, "Raina - Future of Indian Cricket" nu title vaccha perfect-a irukkum ...

nesstu test match-la oru permanent place... short-pitch balls prob mattum correct pannittana onnum asaichukka mudiyathu, asaichukka mudiyathu... :P

romba mamoola irukkee...OK....vechudalam :)

joe
16th April 2010, 09:55 PM
Cricket paththi enakku onnum theriyathu.

But ,intha paiyan Raina -va paakkum pothu oru energy theriyuthu ..Player-na ippadi irukkaNum -nu solla thiNuthu 8-)

Vivasaayi
16th April 2010, 10:01 PM

But ,intha paiyan Raina -va paakkum pothu oru energy theriyuthu ..Player-na ippadi irukkaNum -nu solla thiNuthu 8-)

:clap:

This guy is just awesome!...plays the game as it was meant to be.

kid-glove
16th April 2010, 11:48 PM
Raina is Redbull007

ajithfederer
17th April 2010, 01:32 AM
Sorry to say Raina is just average. At the best can be a good prospect :oops:.

I don't think he is the future of Indian cricket. He may be the future may be in the shortest format(T20) but I don't envision him as a batting machine in the longer formats. At present the future of Indian cricket lies in the hands of guys like Gambhir, Vijay and Rohit(if he can replicate what he does in IPL in the big stage). Even in the shorter formats guys like Uthappa have done some consistent big hitting convincingly.

All above(my thoughts on Raina) IMHO. Idhellam poi-aaga rainavukku en wishes.

steveaustin
17th April 2010, 05:14 PM
AF

நெத்தியடி (ஆட்ட நுணுக்கத்தின் அடிப்படையில்). :)

Plum
17th April 2010, 07:05 PM
Raina innu promisinglEyE irukkAn.
Rohit is a good prospect - nallA varuvaan.
Vijay indhi kathukaNum. Edhunachum raina thangachi, durby thangachi yaaraiyaavadhu kattikittaa chances innum brightaa irukkum.
Dhonikku thangachi irukkA

BM
17th April 2010, 09:46 PM
IPL la mattum thaan peform pannuven nu Rohit adampudichitu irukaan. IPL peformance vechi Rohit ku neraya ODI chances kuduthaachi. While batting he never looks comfortable, kannulaye kalavaram theriyum. Intha IPL performance vechi again he will get ODI chances but he won't use that opportunity. Instead, vera nalla new players ku antha chance kudukalaam.

kid-glove
17th April 2010, 09:49 PM
Vijay indhi kathukaNum. Edhunachum raina thangachi, durby thangachi yaaraiyaavadhu kattikittaa chances innum brightaa irukkum.
Dhonikku thangachi irukkA
He can also build a good rapport with Dhoni like Redbull003
http://www.thaindian.com/images/dhonibike.jpg

Plum
17th April 2010, 10:53 PM
Adhu dhaan namma pasanga weakness.
Ganguly trinidadla pondaattikku valaiyal vaangarache, "bhabhi ke liye?"*-nu asadu vazhinjindu kekkaradhukku namma pasangalukku language problem mattum illai, mindset problemum kooda.
*mohd kaif

vanchi
18th April 2010, 06:29 PM
Raina First player to aggregate 1300 in IPL :notworthy: :clap:

ajaybaskar
18th April 2010, 06:34 PM
Raina is getting better with the day.

VinodKumar's
18th April 2010, 07:44 PM
:notworthy: :notworthy: Good one Raina.

sivank
18th April 2010, 08:05 PM
Dhoni seems to have so much faith and confidence in Raina. During the break after the 15th over one could see how Raina came ito the middle to have a word with Mahi and Badri

Vivasaayi
18th April 2010, 08:43 PM
thalaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :clap: :notworthy:

joe
18th April 2010, 08:44 PM
One more time :)

Vivasaayi
18th April 2010, 08:48 PM
Sorry to say Raina is just average. At the best can be a good prospect :oops:.

I don't think he is the future of Indian cricket. He may be the future may be in the shortest format(T20) but I don't envision him as a batting machine in the longer formats. At present the future of Indian cricket lies in the hands of guys like Gambhir, Vijay and Rohit(if he can replicate what he does in IPL in the big stage). Even in the shorter formats guys like Uthappa have done some consistent big hitting convincingly.

All above(my thoughts on Raina) IMHO. Idhellam poi-aaga rainavukku en wishes.

We cannot judge these guys from IPL.Rohit and yusuf plays well in IPL,but we should remember that IPL has two or three domestic bowlers - whom these guys can go after.

By considering the international matches - Raina is doing very well when compared with rohit.Thats the big stage.

Uthappa consistent than Raina???- enna maapla vekka padama sollita?

Raina is well ahead of others when it comes to consistency in whatever chances that he was given.He should have got the test oppurtunity ahead of yuvraj as he handles spin better than most of the other guys.

Now goutham - yeah.....othukuren...but he belongs to shewag generation..right? :lol2:

Kalyasi
18th April 2010, 08:53 PM
Raina is a defly a talent to watch out!! I am sure he will make it big...

Only player to have scored more than 400 runs in each edition of IPL.... First player to reach 1300 runs in IPL...

directhit
18th April 2010, 08:55 PM
Raina :bow: much much better than the over-hyped Rohit...

Kalyasi
18th April 2010, 08:56 PM
DH great Avtar... antha video link iruntha kodunga

ajithfederer
18th April 2010, 09:08 PM
Talent wise Rohit>>>Raina. Idhai naan enga venaalum solluven. IPL vechu judge panna mudiyadhunnu naanae solliten. But my belief is Rohit will excel from now on.

We cannot judge these guys from IPL.Rohit and yusuf plays well in IPL,but we should remember that IPL has two or three domestic bowlers - whom these guys can go after.

Irukkalam but idhuvae doubt than. Thalaivar 175 chase-la ivaru mattum pull shot aadi sodhapama irundhirundha naan ingae postae pannirukka maaten. I agree one blemish is not enough. His short ball deficiences is a documented weak point.

By considering the international matches - Raina is doing very well when compared with rohit.Thats the big stage.

In terms of big-hitting in IPL, yes. When given chances in the T-20 side again I think yes. The point here is IMO, en nambikkai raina mela kammi avvalo than. Neenga dharalama disagree pannalam.

Uthappa consistent than Raina???- enna maapla vekka padama sollita?

Romba kastanga vicky. Vijay has already grabbed it. IMO, next in the line will be Rohit. Raina will be exposed in Test matches, IMO.

Raina is well ahead of others when it comes to consistency in whatever chances that he was given.He should have got the test oppurtunity ahead of yuvraj as he handles spin better than most of the other guys.

Age wise difference irukku othukaren. But both made their debuts in 2004/05 season. Gambhir has come a long way in forcing himself to all the three (Test/ODI/T-20)sides

Now goutham - yeah.....othukuren...but he belongs to shewag generation..right? :lol2:

Vivasaayi
19th April 2010, 07:19 AM
One more time :)

thalaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :clap:

Vivasaayi
19th April 2010, 07:23 AM
af,

in big hitting IPL,Raina has been the most consistent player -with most number of runs - in all the three editions.

I dont know how u call uthappa to be more consistent.

when talking abt test cricket - I think Reaina will shine in test cricket more easily than other prospects.

Regarding that pull shot in sachin's 175 innings - well ..everyplayer has some loose shot selection , even sachins shot selection in that very match was aweful - the way he got out.

I dont think he is a bad player of short balls.Now players who dont play short balls well,dont really like to pull - which is not the case of raina - he is very confident in his pull shots and hook shots,its just that he does it too often.we had discussed it sometime ago.

Sourav
19th April 2010, 09:18 AM
the only player who scored 400+ runs in all the 3 seasons of IPL... great record! :clap:

raghavendran
19th April 2010, 12:14 PM
the only player who scored 400+ runs in all the 3 seasons of IPL... great record! :clap:
future of indian cricket...namme chennai aalu suresh raina

kid-glove
19th April 2010, 12:16 PM
Being a left-handed batsman easily makes up for Rohit "show pony" Sharma's stylish shot-making.

kid-glove
19th April 2010, 12:58 PM
Btb, Raina half-thamizh half-northie style-la Dalai Lama kaal-a vizhundhu aasirvadham vaanginaaru. :lol:

Plum
19th April 2010, 01:02 PM
Btb, Raina half-thamizh half-northie style-la Dalai Lama kaal-a vizhundhu aasirvadham vaanginaaru. :lol:
ration card kuduthuttOmla!

kid-glove
21st April 2010, 11:33 AM
I suggest the CSK fans should sing when Rohit sharma appears on big screen - "you're just a ____ Suresh Raina"

Plum
21st April 2010, 11:35 AM
What if he understands that as
"you're just a -----, Suresh Raina"

kid-glove
21st April 2010, 11:36 AM
Wouldn't surprise me, he doesn't look all that bright.

P_R
21st April 2010, 12:05 PM
k-g/ Plum please edit your posts.
Why do you keep doing this ??

kid-glove
21st April 2010, 12:08 PM
Edited. :(

Plum
21st April 2010, 12:15 PM
Oops, kid, nInga ban aagaradhOda illAma, ennaiyum ban aakkiduvInga pOlirukkE!

kid-glove
21st April 2010, 12:18 PM
Tightrope walking
-------------------------------:rotfl2:
------------------------------- :cry3: :curse:

raajarasigan
21st April 2010, 12:43 PM
Plum, K/G ... sorry can't control... :rotfl2:

kid-glove
21st April 2010, 02:46 PM
[tscii:9297d09878][/tscii:9297d09878]http://beta.thehindu.com/life-and-style/metroplus/article406144.ece

As the invitees were drawn from a wide cross-section of the media, ranging from sports to lifestyle magazines, coach Stephen Fleming, captain M.S. Dhoni and Matthew Hayden had to answer questions that alternated between the serious and the trivial.

When the journalists fell silent, NFM staffers posed questions about the players' grooming habits, which threw up valuable information such as ‘Suresh Raina is the best-smelling guy'.

Plum
21st April 2010, 02:49 PM
Team bonding thEvai dhAn - adhukkunnu ipdiyA!!!

satissh_r
21st April 2010, 02:56 PM
Team bonding thEvai dhAn - adhukkunnu ipdiyA!!! :lol: :lol:

kid-glove
23rd April 2010, 03:19 PM
Redbull03
Batting - 2 runs from 4 balls (463 in 15 innings @ 141 Strike rate, 42.1 Average)
Fielding - Great. Stopped many boundaries and generally lit up the intensity of our fielding with his redbull-ism. Karbonn kamaal catch. Would have caught the best catch thus far in the tournament if he had held on to a full dive to left in mid-on. ( 9 catches in all, but most of it spread throughout. Hasn't put down many unlike Rogith)
Wickets - 1/0 from 2 balls (Totally 5 wickets, Economy 7.03 for a part-time bowler)

Right-handed "show pony" poor man's version of Suresh Raina
Batting - 2 runs from 5 balls (403 in 15 innings @ 135 striker rate, 31 Average)
Fielding - Simple catch in first slip. But like his team, didn't have any intensity. (9 catches in all, of which 3 came in a single match against Delhi)
Bowling - NA ( totally 2 wickets. Economy: 8.07)

http://www.engagecommunitychurch.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/you-decide001.jpg

SoftSword
23rd April 2010, 04:13 PM
Redbull03
Batting - 2 runs from 4 balls (463 in 15 innings @ 141 Strike rate, 42.1 Average)
Fielding - Great. Stopped many boundaries and generally lit up the intensity of our fielding with his redbull-ism. Karbonn kamaal catch. Would have caught the best catch thus far in the tournament if he had held on to a full dive to left in mid-on. ( 9 catches in all, but most of it spread throughout. Hasn't put down many unlike Rogith)
Wickets - 1/0 from 2 balls (Totally 5 wickets, Economy 7.03 for a part-time bowler)

Batting - 2 runs from 5 balls (403 in 15 innings @ 135 striker rate, 31 Average)
Fielding - Simple catch in first slip. But like his team, didn't have any intensity. (9 catches in all, of which 3 came in a single match against Delhi)

http://www.engagecommunitychurch.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/you-decide001.jpg

who is referred here?

kid-glove
23rd April 2010, 04:14 PM
Redbull03

who is referred here?

Raina :bow: much much better than the over-hyped Rohit...

raajarasigan
23rd April 2010, 04:20 PM
K/G --- good comparison..

Raina is always better than Rohit on any day... I was very very impressed with his electrifying fielding yesterday... he is chanceless.. slowly I am becoming his die hard fan... :D character, commitment, aggressiveness... :thumbsup: what else you want... this fellow is having all the qualities to become one of the best cricketers in the modern era...

Raina :notworthy: :clap:

Cheeka: Give him the test slot, I say... he deserves that too... throw this ---- yuvi :evil:

SoftSword
23rd April 2010, 04:21 PM
dhoni's confidence in raina plays an integral part in grooming raina IMO

raajarasigan
23rd April 2010, 04:21 PM
Redbull03

who is referred here?YOU JUDGE

kid-glove
23rd April 2010, 04:26 PM
K/G --- good comparison..

Raina is always better than Rohit on any day... I was very very impressed with his electrifying fielding yesterday... he is chanceless.. slowly I am becoming his die hard fan... :D character, commitment, aggressiveness... :thumbsup: what else you want... this fellow is having all the qualities to become one of the best cricketers in the modern era...

Raina :notworthy: :clap:

Cheeka: Give him the test slot, I say... he deserves that too... throw this ---- yuvi :evil:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I fully concur with Joe. 8-)

From my scarce knowledge, I'd claim his style and range of shots is improving.

Besides being left-handed. :cool:

raajarasigan
23rd April 2010, 04:39 PM
Besides being left-handed 8-) in fact, as per cricket experts, left hand batsmen are having a slight advantage over right hand batsman... I do NOT know the exact reason... it could be the balance / power... If I am NOT wrong, there are few cricketers who started their career (during their school days) with right hand batting but later changed to left-hand batting... I read this somewhere but I don't have any proof for this right now... 8-)

jinju
23rd April 2010, 04:53 PM
guys, request to watch raina, rohit etc in tests n then pass an opinion on them being the future n all. this ipl, 20-20 etc no yardstick to rate talents! let these guys, rohit, raina n co prove it in the big stage for us to rate them.

i still remember these young overhyped indian talents failing miserably to an inspired WI team (not much of a bowling unit to lose to he he :D )in 20-20 wc, where they just needed 2-3 short balls to take care of our overhyped "talents"!

imagine raina n co in a test match against steyn etc in a test match abroad, anga saadhikkattum, appo sollalaam future-a illa cud have been-a'ngradhu. i remember he was touted as the future of Indian cricket 3 years back, n 3 years down the line hes still the future! improvement, huh?!

funny though, the lingering image i have of raina is him practising the pull shot walking to the pavilion after getting out to the very same shot, not on one occasion but twice or thrice, as if to suggest to the world "cha, i shud've played it this way!" ! c'mon who was he trying to fool, it was as obvious as daylight that he plays that shot poorly but the way he was showing off was just like his overenthusiastic jumping around the field most of the times! attitude or showpony, huh?!

atleast, i remember rohit sticking on with sachin in lifting India from a precarious position in the first final against aussies on their home ground, now thers some character there, but his attitude in general, sucks! again, blame the ipl lifestyle mainly for such things!

nothin against these guys, but once the big guys go, its only when one sees badri n vijay who exude some hope! considering that it's yuvraj whos there at 6 in the test team, no harm in giving raina a try, coz hes only bound to do slightly better than what yuvraj has done so far in tests, n thats not saying much! one day, t20 specialists yes, but the REAL MEN, nah!

SoftSword
23rd April 2010, 05:03 PM
appa... enna aggression.. enna flow... :)

kid-glove
23rd April 2010, 05:08 PM
Agree in principle that test is a better judgment of player's skill set. But what's overtly new there?

I'd have taken all of what jinju said seriously, until I read this, nothin against these guys, but once the big guys go, its only when one sees badri n vijay who exude some hope!

jinju
23rd April 2010, 05:13 PM
Agree in principle that test is a better judgment of player's skill set. But what's overtly new there?

I'd have taken all of what jinju said seriously, until I read this, nothin against these guys, but once the big guys go, its only when one sees badri n vijay who exude some hope!

yes kid, i meant when i said it, n again its not based on his ipl/t20/odi perfos i said that. he debuted in tests and made a commendable impression against a potent SA bowling attack, not that he made loads of runs there, the only notable contribution was a 50 but a valuable one at that in a team without the stalwarts Dravid n VVS. theres stuff there i say...wait n watch! am sure 3 years down the line, he will be an integral part of the Indian test team. cant say the same on raina though, n there lies my points! i'l be here 3 years down the line, dont u worry about that...hope to meet ya here then :D

jinju
23rd April 2010, 05:16 PM
first pagelaye littlemaster, plum, ajithfederer pottrukkaanga alagaa...adhu thaan ennoda pointsum... adhukku poi chumma ivlo periya essay ellaam eluthi, cha...!

kid-glove
23rd April 2010, 05:17 PM
Except maybe Badri is much more older than Raina, and is definitely limited & crippled by lesser technique. 3 years down the line, he will replace Hemang Badani in CSK dugout.

raajarasigan
23rd April 2010, 05:22 PM

yes kid, i meant when i said it, n again its not based on his ipl/t20/odi perfos i said that. it cannot be based on ipl / t20 / odi performance at least for Badri... he is only a test match player...he is tailor-made for that...

jinju
23rd April 2010, 05:28 PM
Except maybe Badri is much more older than Raina, and is definitely limited & crippled by lesser technique. 3 years down the line, he will replace Hemang Badani in CSK dugout.

he cant play t20, he cant play odis, so spake many of rahul dravid not sooo long ago!

i think badri is mature enuff to note which one is true assessment of his talent: CSK dugout/Indian test team berth!

n u r comparing technique of raina n badri based on the ipl show, cmon kid, i xpect more from u!

so yeah, we'l meet kid, in 3 years! hope the dugouts, the cheerleaders, the showponies n yep the talent-spotting ipl will survive till then! :D

kid-glove
23rd April 2010, 05:34 PM

he cant play t20, he cant play odis, so spake many of rahul dravid not sooo long ago!

i think badri is mature enuff to note which one is true assessment of his talent: CSK dugout/Indian test team berth!

n u r comparing technique of raina n badri based on the ipl show, cmon kid, i xpect more from u!

so yeah, we'l meet kid, in 3 years! hope the dugouts, the cheerleaders, the showponies n yep the talent-spotting ipl will survive till then! :D

I cannot believe you put one of my favorite players, Rahul Dravid, in same sentence with Badri, in any context. :twisted:

I'm not basing it just on ipl in case of Raina's talent (or his Achilles heel, so to speak, the pull shot), but yeah, I haven't seen Badri play much apart from ipl. Badri is more suited to Test cricket based on a single half century? Perhaps, but it isn't conclusive enough. He's not going to any further IMO.

You're probably right that ipl will not survive.

jinju
23rd April 2010, 05:35 PM
[/quote]it cannot be based on ipl / t20 / odi performance at least for Badri... he is only a test match player...he is tailor-made for that...[/quote]

RR, idhu dhaan ellorum Rahul Dravid endra to-be great-a patthi sonnaanga not so long ago when he was even worse than what badri is today in odi/t20. and if u remember, even worse than this has been told of rahul and the result is the rest as they say is history, to borrow a cliche!

i am ready to put my head on the line for this prediction, Badrinath is India's successor to Rahul Dravid, and as Dravid proved, a good test player can be a valuable odi/t20 player too...time will tell!

at least, i feel it's a better assumption than calling someone "future of indian cricket" for 6 years and counting! to draw a parallel from the cine world, prithviraj has been called as "the next superstar" from the year he made his debut n he still is called as "the future" of malayalam cinema, n it's been around 10 years! :)

anyways, kutti thala oru naal THALA aagattum endru wish panren...i just gave my points on raina...will be happy if he changes my point of view on him...afterall, itsnt CSK/MI/KOCHIKKAARANs who matter, it's Indian Cricket!

jinju
23rd April 2010, 05:42 PM

I cannot believe you put one of my favorite players, Rahul Dravid, in same sentence with Badri, in any context. :twisted:

I'm not basing it just on ipl in case of Raina's talent (or his Achilles heel, so to speak, the pull shot), but yeah, I haven't seen Badri play much apart from ipl. Badri is more suited to Test cricket based on a single half century? Perhaps, but it isn't conclusive enough. He's not going to any further IMO.

You're probably right that ipl will not survive.

kid, even RD is my fav player too, but u'l have to agree that not even his staunchest fan wud've vouched at that point of his career that he'd turn out at the way he ultimately did in odis/t20s. somehow, i c semblances in badri, thats all i mean.

raina/rohit, well all da best to them, but personally i'l be hugely disappointed if badri doesnt make the no:3/4 spot in Indian test team his own in the coming years after the greats go than the other two making it big or not.

btb, how about a thread for hubbers' Indian future test team after the greats retire. shud throw up other interesting names as well. indha ipl caamedy mudiyattum!

kid-glove
23rd April 2010, 05:49 PM
But there's a wee bit difference though.

1) Dravid is a legend.

2) Dravid made his test & ODI debut in his early 20s and not as late as Badri. He also turned out to be a prolific matchwinner and one of the main players, cementing his position in the National team.

3) Dravid plays proper cricketing strokes with a semblance of consistent technique, body balance, and foot work. Has more awareness than Badri, and is on a whole new level..

4) See 1

jinju
23rd April 2010, 05:57 PM
But there's a wee bit difference though.

1) Dravid is a legend.

2) Dravid made his test & ODI debut in his early 20s and not as late as Badri. He also turned out to be a prolific matchwinner and one of the main players, cementing his position in the National team.

3) Dravid plays proper cricketing strokes with a semblance of consistent technique, body balance, and foot work. Has more awareness than Badri, and is on a whole new level..

4) See 1

idhellaam enakkum theriyum kid. and all these bolded adjectives came in later as he went on in his career, right? early, he was branded as much a one-format pony as badri is now by the same experts who gloat these adjectives over dravid. why go so back, just 2 years back, even after all that he proved in tests/odis, when RCB was formed for ipl, they pilloried it as a test team lead by a test player! :lol: the rest everyone knows! from "thookkungada avana cksla irundhu" to "badri venum" in the hub itself, i see semblances, so lets wait! :)

yes, age is a factor for badri, but still enakku hope'nga! :(

kid-glove
23rd April 2010, 06:06 PM
You can't take Mallaya's assessment of RCB seriously. Turned out be a moron (and his choice of Pietersen as the next captain :banghead:)

jinju
23rd April 2010, 08:02 PM
when i used the word "experts" mallya is definitely not a name i thot of, kid! :shock: :)

Plum
23rd April 2010, 08:05 PM
jinju, I am a Badri supporter myself adhukkAga Dravid levelukku thUkkalAmA? :evil:

kid-glove
23rd April 2010, 08:06 PM
well if someone sees drvaid as a test player alone, then they aren't really experts..

jinju
23rd April 2010, 08:14 PM
dravid alavukku thookkala, legendnu ellaam kooppudala ippove. all i meant is that i see in him a successor of dravid rather than anyone else going around in domestic circuit as of now. the only player with even a semblance of a defence amongst the domestic players. i see semblances of early dravid in today's badri. he is my "future Indian cricketer" in all formats. raina ellaam yuvraj level, prodigious talent/flashy game/oscillating between confidence-overconfidence! but if he gets his game tight n get his thinking cap on, he can follow gambhir's footsteps than ending up as another yuvraj!

Plum
23rd April 2010, 08:17 PM
Enga as Bala said
Fleming: Cover Drive adi
Badri: Take stance towards Cover and drives straight

romba limitedA irukkAnga.

Solid player. Yes. But Dravid is much more than the WALL nickname indicates. pala vithaigaL therindhavar. Even at 29, Badri doesnt have half as much as Dravid's talent at 23.

jinju
23rd April 2010, 08:20 PM
29 aayidchaa :shock: ! suttham...appo Pujara dhaan hope!

Plum
23rd April 2010, 08:23 PM
Yes Pujara is the Dravidin kalaiylaga vaarisu. He is even more unfortunate than Badri. Totally lacking in God Father. ippO EdhO Ganguly kadaikaNN pArvai pattirukku so some hopes for him...

ajithfederer
23rd April 2010, 11:41 PM
Vicky sorry for the late reply. Raina needs to be gauged more properly. First let one of them make a teest debut. M Vijay has already made his debut. I think rohit will make it to the test side soon. Raina, i am not sure and this is MY OPINION only. Naan sonnadhu thappa kooda maaralam. Lets hope that i become wrong and we may get one more batting machine for India.

Raina has been more consistent and I am sorry i should have worded properly. Uthapa has been the biggest improvement for the national side in T-20's. Uthappa was a big zero in IPL-1. I didn't like him in MI and I wanted him to be traded away. But in IPL-2 and 3 he has made a U-turn. He has worked on his batting and clears the boundary quite easily. That is not just against our domestic bowlers and not a flat track bully. Uthaps is definitely a promising talent.

P.S 1: Thalaivar 175 knockae loosela viduvom. Indha nalla naalla pesa virumabala. Raina has been consistent in IPL, no doubt but we need to gauge him more.

af,

in big hitting IPL,Raina has been the most consistent player -with most number of runs - in all the three editions.

I dont know how u call uthappa to be more consistent.

when talking abt test cricket - I think Reaina will shine in test cricket more easily than other prospects.

Regarding that pull shot in sachin's 175 innings - well ..everyplayer has some loose shot selection , even sachins shot selection in that very match was aweful - the way he got out.

I dont think he is a bad player of short balls.Now players who dont play short balls well,dont really like to pull - which is not the case of raina - he is very confident in his pull shots and hook shots,its just that he does it too often.we had discussed it sometime ago.

Vivasaayi
25th April 2010, 10:16 AM
badri compared to dravid(in any context)????wht is this!!!

ennikkavadhu 2 meter outside offla potadha dravid scoop aadirukara?

players like dravid have shots for every ball bowled and most importantly they can pick ones and twos at their will.

Vivasaayi
25th April 2010, 10:17 AM
af,

lets wait and watch :)

jinju
25th April 2010, 10:25 AM
lets wait and watch :)

badriyappathiyum idhu thaan solren! :)

vanchi
25th April 2010, 10:13 PM
Raina- only player to aggregate 400 runs in every IPL
:clap: :clap:

joe
25th April 2010, 10:22 PM
Once again :D

Great stuff Raina :thumbsup:

hamid
25th April 2010, 10:24 PM
Raina :notworthy: :clap: :cheer:

Punnagai Mannan
25th April 2010, 10:25 PM
Raina and CSK please send a bouquet to dilhara nayyar and zaheer khan :D they get equal and greater credit for today's innings

kid-glove
26th April 2010, 01:56 AM
Raina getting life after two missed opportunities given for MI or Hayden not given out for a plum LBW off Bhajji's ball or Sachin not being given out from Raina's delivery that was caught by Dhoni? You get some and you don't get some. It's up to you to make it worth or worsen it (as Hayden did by wasting balls)

Prabo
26th April 2010, 01:56 AM
I like his energy and tempo whether batting, fielding, bowling or pulling hair. Raina and Rohit sharma must be regulars in 50/50 and 20/20.

kid-glove
26th April 2010, 02:00 AM
Raina proved how lethal he is. No words needed to hype him further.

Will see what he does in next 15-17 years of his career... :thumbsup:

Prabo
26th April 2010, 02:30 AM
Technically he needs to improve if he is to survive for 12-15 years. But, his non stop aggression, not curbing his storke making and refreshing presence (no vetti bandha like other youngsters) makes me wish that he plays looong. He will :thumbsup:

kid-glove
26th April 2010, 02:35 AM
Love the way he runs across the field. Especially the inspired celebration run to other players in boundary/fielding positions after he takes a catch/wicket. All the while having no pretensions about it (take note Yuuuvakk)

Would have a comparable stat to a football player in kms covered per game. :lol:

VinodKumar's
26th April 2010, 06:40 AM
Raina :clap: :clap: :clap:

raghavendran
26th April 2010, 12:22 PM
:notworthy: :notworthy: :thumbsup:

kid-glove
26th April 2010, 02:23 PM
If Raina had performed in semis, he'd have challenged the master for player of the tournament. CSK support staff was toying around when the camera focused on Raina as Sachin's name was finally announced.:lol2: Raina has no pretensions like always. :clap:

Raina has far and away been the best player of IPL (all seasons combined) :thumbsup:

Come on son, now for the country.

WCT20 here we come. :redjump:

Then ODI World cup. :boo:

Hopefully gets the much awaited test debut one of these days, replacing some of the overhyped batsmen..

raghavendran
26th April 2010, 06:25 PM
If Raina had performed in semis, he'd have challenged the master for player of the tournament. CSK support staff was toying around when the camera focused on Raina as Sachin's name was finally announced.:lol2: Raina has no pretensions like always. :clap:

Raina has far and away been the best player of IPL (all seasons combined) :thumbsup:

Then ODI World cup. :boo:

Hopefully gets the much awaited test debut one of these days, replacing some of the overhyped batsmen.. 8-)

Rocky89
26th April 2010, 08:50 PM
Hoping for the same from him for WT20 :cool:

kid-glove
29th April 2010, 02:34 PM
http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/25718/the-ipls-most-valuable-player---part-3/?utm_source=ig&utm_medium=news&utm_campaign=gadget

joe
2nd May 2010, 08:30 PM
Once Again :clap:

MADDY
2nd May 2010, 08:34 PM

yea :bow:

seriously- this wasnt a easy track to bat on with good bounce, good pace bowlers, slow outfield, long boundaries and Raina comes out with flying colors :bow: ......Raina, indeed is the future of Indian cricket :bow:

hamid
2nd May 2010, 08:36 PM
:smokesmirk: Raina... u beauty :D

kid-glove
2nd May 2010, 08:38 PM

Prediction specialist. :thumbsup: 8-)

MADDY
2nd May 2010, 08:41 PM

positive stratergy works too :clap: :lol:

kid-glove
2nd May 2010, 08:45 PM

positive stratergy works too :clap: :lol:

:P Kutti Thala carrying Periya thala on his shoulder like in my display pic. Dhoni's eye for talent. 8-)

Manjrekar :x: harping on Raina can't face short pitched deliveries and crying for Steyn to bowl bouncers. Saying Raina should still prove his ability to come high up the order :banghead:

MADDY
2nd May 2010, 08:48 PM
:P Kutti Thala carrying Periya thala on his shoulder like in my display pic. Dhoni's eye for talent. 8-)

Manjrekar :x: harping on Raina can't face short pitched deliveries and crying for Steyn to bowl bouncers. Saying Raina should still prove his ability to come high up the order :banghead:

yea, Dhoni is a very good leader and we see it with a reason dont we 8-) ....

Manjrekar - :lol: ......i dont think he knows much cricket himself :P

joe
2nd May 2010, 08:48 PM
I give much importance to the attitude and energy than individual records ..This guy really have a great attitude and energetic . Keep up the good work Raina :thumbsup:

kid-glove
2nd May 2010, 08:50 PM
Ramiz raja: You don't look to have muscles, but you still hit powerful shots. How do you hit the ball so hard?
Raina: Thanks to my mom, she makes fantastic food :lol:

Plum
2nd May 2010, 09:00 PM
With due respect, it was Dravid/Chappell who promoted Raina. I understand Dhoni is the best captain we can have and is supportive of raina but varalaarungaradhukku oru mariyaadhaiyE illaiyA? :huh:

MADDY
2nd May 2010, 09:06 PM
With due respect, it was Dravid/Chappell who promoted Raina. I understand Dhoni is the best captain we can have and is supportive of raina but varalaarungaradhukku oru mariyaadhaiyE illaiyA? :huh:

irukkalaam, maybe dravid identified raina but raina keeps saying its dhoni's backing which makes him play like this - enna panna solreenga - naangale solladhingappa-nnu sonnalum, pasanga pugazhndhu thallidraanga...........varalaaru, annan-a thedi adhuva varudhu :P

chappallkkum promotionkkum ennanga sammandham?? :lol: avan oru "dark phase" in BCCI history

kid-glove
2nd May 2010, 09:06 PM

We're clearing refereeing to Dhoni having faith in Raina and promoting him up the order. Especially that Raina has few limitations and weakness in shot making. Really I should also credit Fleming, Kirsten and other (left-handed batsmen) coaches who have helped Raina too..

Plum
2nd May 2010, 09:12 PM
Ganguly captainA irundhappO ellorum(even murali kartik whom gangs victimised) gangulyai pathi kEttA nalla vArthai dhAn solluvAnga. Factsnu oNNu irukkillaiyA?
IdhellAm illAmalE dhoni nalla captain dhAnE?

Raina is a bonafide star - #3 in CSK was his by right, he didn't need anyone's backing for that. Doing well there has given him the #3 india position. Once upon a time, dhoni didn't use him t #3 - rightly so. IdhellAm dhoni doing his job as captain normally - any decent captain will do it. What keeps dhoni apart are other characteristics. IdhellAm normal captaincy traits
One thing though, dhoni has maade mistakes at #3 at some point - now he seems to have corrected that

Appu s
2nd May 2010, 09:16 PM
Raina :clap: :clap: :clap:

Appu s
2nd May 2010, 09:19 PM
Ganguly captainA irundhappO ellorum(even murali kartik whom gangs victimised) gangulyai pathi kEttA nalla vArthai dhAn solluvAnga. Factsnu oNNu irukkillaiyA?

enna fact??? neenga muthalla varalarai marakkathenga boss.

kid-glove
2nd May 2010, 09:22 PM
It seems ridiculous to send Raina at #3 considering his vulnerability to new-ball bowlers. Sometimes he fails, and other times he works well (sometimes with luck & chance) - he has clearly come a long way with confidence & trust placed in him

MADDY
2nd May 2010, 09:26 PM

kettu solradhu onnu irukku, avangala solradhu-nnu innonu irukku.......eppadi lara, sachinkku ellarum ketkaamale respect kudukkraangalo, adhe madhiri annan-kkum.........(andha range illa but andha faith irukku)

IdhellAm illAmalE dhoni nalla captain dhAnE?

illa, adhukkum mela - he is a great captain and great role model ......

dhoni has maade mistakes at #3 at some point - now he seems to have corrected that

he always plays for team to win - its for us to interpret to our convenience

MADDY
2nd May 2010, 09:33 PM
I give much importance to the attitude and energy than individual records ..This guy really have a great attitude and energetic . Keep up the good work Raina :thumbsup:

yes, joe - raina paathale oru pleasing, energetic, positive vibes irukku.........and if u know, this team has loads of talent but some guys have very bad attitude and complacency.......but Raina is such a good addition to this squad :bow:

Plum
2nd May 2010, 09:51 PM
Nalladhu nadandhA kAraNam "okkadu" mattumnA, ojha, mishra pOndra nalla spinnerai back paNNAdhadhukku kAraNam? Oh adhu cheekavO? Dhoni kEttum kudukka maruthiruppAr. Cheeka :hammer: - india indha tournamentla thOthA cheeka dhAn kAraNam. Otoh...

MADDY
2nd May 2010, 09:55 PM
Nalladhu nadandhA kAraNam "okkadu" mattum

appadi thaan

india indha tournamentla thOthA cheeka dhAn kAraNam. Otoh...

adhu unga savuriyam

Plum
2nd May 2010, 09:58 PM
Maddy technique noted of taking credit for everything good. Will try to apply... Not in hub but in real life :lol:

MADDY
2nd May 2010, 10:03 PM
Maddy technique noted of taking credit for everything good. Will try to apply... Not in hub but in real life :lol:

adhuvum unga ishtam :)

littlemaster1982
2nd May 2010, 10:08 PM
Plum,

To be fair, Raina was out of reckoning for quite a bit of time after Dravid stepped down from captaincy. Now he has become a permanent fixture in Indian team and if Raina thanks Dhoni for that, I don't see anything wrong in that.

ajaybaskar
2nd May 2010, 10:12 PM
Edhu eppadiyo, today he played one good innings. Congrats to that young man!

Plum
2nd May 2010, 10:15 PM
Lm, raina thanking dhoni - enakku mattum enna problem?
He was performing poorly so he was out of the team. Started doing well and he is back. Dhoni might have backed him no doubt but inge generalA nalladhu nadandhA dhoni illainA mathavanga thappungara rangela oru varalaaru ezhudha padugiradhu. Even at the cost of being called a dhoni hater, I'll call that. Konja nAL munnadi, from 2 feet dhoni hit a direct hit, inge post:Only dhoni can do that :lol:

vanchi
2nd May 2010, 10:16 PM
Raina :notworthy: :notworthy: :clap: 8-)

MADDY
2nd May 2010, 10:19 PM
mathavanga thappungara rangela oru varalaaru ezhudha padugiradhu

thappu solradhu neenga, kuttham kandu pudikkradhu neenga..........have u seen anyone else doing so much of fault finding in this section

Rocky89
2nd May 2010, 10:41 PM
Great innings by Suresh :cool:

ajithfederer
2nd May 2010, 10:43 PM
Who has played the most one-day internationals without playing in a Test? asked David Grace from Horsham

The leader on this rather bittersweet list is India's Suresh Raina, who has currently played 90 one-day internationals without so far appearing in a Test match. He took the record from Australia's Ian Harvey, who played 73 ODIs - but no Tests. Two Kenyans have played more ODIs than this, obviously without playing a Test: Steve Tikolo 120 and Thomas Odoyo 115, while Kennedy Otieno has also played 90.

http://www.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/457381.html

ajithfederer
2nd May 2010, 11:40 PM
Oh 100 today. Well done Raina :clap:.

Prabo
2nd May 2010, 11:54 PM
Well done Raina :clap: appadiye maindain pannu, IPL'la kidaikaatha MOS inga vaangidalam

Sourav
3rd May 2010, 07:00 AM

yea :bow:

seriously- this wasnt a easy track to bat on with good bounce, good pace bowlers, slow outfield, long boundaries and Raina comes out with flying colors :bow: ......Raina, indeed is the future of Indian cricket :bow:
:yes:
Its really a great innings, :bow:

VinodKumar's
3rd May 2010, 08:24 AM
Lm, raina thanking dhoni - enakku mattum enna problem?
He was performing poorly so he was out of the team. Started doing well and he is back. Dhoni might have backed him no doubt but inge generalA nalladhu nadandhA dhoni illainA mathavanga thappungara rangela oru varalaaru ezhudha padugiradhu. Even at the cost of being called a dhoni hater, I'll call that. Konja nAL munnadi, from 2 feet dhoni hit a direct hit, inge post:Only dhoni can do that :lol:

Antha post konjam kamikiringala :roll:

ajaybaskar
3rd May 2010, 09:19 AM
Last sunday he got a MOM award and this sunday he repeated it.

tamizharasan
3rd May 2010, 07:56 PM
The title should be changed to present and future of Indian cricket.

Vivasaayi
3rd May 2010, 08:01 PM
tamizharasan,

done :thumbsup:

tamizharasan
3rd May 2010, 08:34 PM
tamizharasan,

done :thumbsup:

Thank you. It makes more sense now.

SoftSword
3rd May 2010, 08:39 PM
but the thala title doesn suit fairly... kutti-thala was good or thalapathi raina would be apt

VinodKumar's
3rd May 2010, 09:00 PM
SS,

I second you. Thala Raina na udanae avan thalaya yosichu paatha :lol2:

Vivasaayi
3rd May 2010, 10:24 PM
I also prefer kutti thala

but space issue - decide and tell an apt title which fills the space properly

Sourav
4th May 2010, 06:44 AM

but space issue - decide and tell an apt title which fills the space properly :roll:
Kutti Thala RAINA - Present & Future of Indian cricket123456

innum 6 letters kooda add pannalaam...antha alavukku space irukku... :P

Vivasaayi
4th May 2010, 07:33 AM

but space issue - decide and tell an apt title which fills the space properly :roll:

add pannalam - aana topicla varadhu..cut aahirum :)

Sourav
4th May 2010, 07:48 AM
http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=13460

SoftSword
4th May 2010, 11:25 AM

add pannalam - aana topicla varadhu..cut aahirum :)

manasirundhaa maargabandhu...

kid-glove
4th May 2010, 05:33 PM
[tscii:4d171c9bcb][/tscii:4d171c9bcb]Raina has had his share of problems against short-pitched deliveries. Under the circumstances, it was surprising why the mercurial Dale Steyn, despite the nature of the surface, did not quite go for the jugular against the left-hander on Sunday. An Australian team, in contrast, would have been ruthless.

It must also be mentioned that Raina — he has striven to get into a more side-on position against the bouncing ball — is an improving batsman against short-pitched bowling.

But the extent of his improvement can only be determined against red-hot quicks on livelier surfaces.

---------------------

Tracks in Barbados could test the Indians

http://www.thehindu.com/2010/05/04/stories/2010050462581900.htm

satissh_r
4th May 2010, 05:52 PM
'Raina is best young batsman in the world'

Former Pakistan captain Wasim Akram rated Suresh Raina as the best young batsman in the world even though he feels the Indian has some way to go before he can be compared to Sourav Ganguly.

Raina became only the third batsman in the short history of Twenty20 Internationals to score a hundred when his blazing 60-ball 101 set up India's win over South Africa , on Sunday.

"For me, he is the best young batsman in the world. He did well in the Indian Premier League and is keeping up the good work in the Caribbean world championship. However, it is too early to say that he is the next Sourav Ganguly," Akram wrote in his column for espnstar.com on Monday.

"Raina is only playing T20s at the moment, let him play Tests and score some runs, then only a comparison with the great Ganguly can be made. Having said that, there is no denying that Raina is immensely gifted," Akram said.

Source: Rediff

kid-glove
4th May 2010, 05:54 PM
Mentored by Oz cricket academy, Raina could haunt Clarke's men
2010-05-04 12:40:00

Trained at the Australian Cricket Academy six years ago, Indian middle-order batsman Suresh Raina could well haunt Michael Clarke's men when they face each other in the ongoing Twenty20 World Cup in the West Indies.

"It was a very good experience for me, I spent time at the Allan Border Academy, Ricky Ponting and Matthew Hayden spoke to me, gave me advice, I learned a lot from them. It definitely improved my cricket," Raina told the Sydney Morning Herald.

Hayden continues to mentor Raina at IPL side Chennai Super Kings, who won this year's tournament on the back of Raina's man-of-the-match half-century in the final.

Many have tipped Raina, 23, to be the leading run scorer in this year's World Twenty20 championship.

However, Michael Hussey, another of Raina's IPL teammates, will be advising his national compatriots on the potential weaknesses of the left-hander.

"I've had a little bit to do with him and watched him in the IPL, so certainly we'll have to have a few good plans in place because he is playing very well," Hussey said.

"He definitely targets a couple of areas so we might have to bowl away from those areas, or try and make sure we've got those covered with fielders," he added.

Hussey believes Raina would have flourished at international level without the assistance of the Australian system.

"I still think he would have come through regardless, he's got that much talent and ability that whether he was at the academy or not he would've come through and played at this level," Hussey said. (ANI)

http://sify.com/sports/mentored-by-oz-cricket-academy-raina-could-haunt-clarke-s-men-news-news-kfemEcgahjh.html

raghavendran
4th May 2010, 05:59 PM
Mentored by Oz cricket academy, Raina could haunt Clarke's men
2010-05-04 12:40:00

Trained at the Australian Cricket Academy six years ago, Indian middle-order batsman Suresh Raina could well haunt Michael Clarke's men when they face each other in the ongoing Twenty20 World Cup in the West Indies.

"It was a very good experience for me, I spent time at the Allan Border Academy, Ricky Ponting and Matthew Hayden spoke to me, gave me advice, I learned a lot from them. It definitely improved my cricket," Raina told the Sydney Morning Herald.

Hayden continues to mentor Raina at IPL side Chennai Super Kings, who won this year's tournament on the back of Raina's man-of-the-match half-century in the final.

Many have tipped Raina, 23, to be the leading run scorer in this year's World Twenty20 championship.

However, Michael Hussey, another of Raina's IPL teammates, will be advising his national compatriots on the potential weaknesses of the left-hander.

"I've had a little bit to do with him and watched him in the IPL, so certainly we'll have to have a few good plans in place because he is playing very well," Hussey said.

"He definitely targets a couple of areas so we might have to bowl away from those areas, or try and make sure we've got those covered with fielders," he added.

Hussey believes Raina would have flourished at international level without the assistance of the Australian system.

"I still think he would have come through regardless, he's got that much talent and ability that whether he was at the academy or not he would've come through and played at this level," Hussey said. (ANI)

http://sify.com/sports/mentored-by-oz-cricket-academy-raina-could-haunt-clarke-s-men-news-news-kfemEcgahjh.html :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

raajarasigan
4th May 2010, 06:13 PM

Former Pakistan captain Wasim Akram rated Suresh Raina as the best young batsman in the world even though he feels the Indian has some way to go before he can be compared to Sourav Ganguly.

Raina became only the third batsman in the short history of Twenty20 Internationals to score a hundred when his blazing 60-ball 101 set up India's win over South Africa , on Sunday.

"For me, he is the best young batsman in the world. He did well in the Indian Premier League and is keeping up the good work in the Caribbean world championship. However, it is too early to say that he is the next Sourav Ganguly," Akram wrote in his column for espnstar.com on Monday.

"Raina is only playing T20s at the moment, let him play Tests and score some runs, then only a comparison with the great Ganguly can be made. Having said that, there is no denying that Raina is immensely gifted," Akram said.

Source: RediffI do NOT want him to be compared with sourav ganguly... I don't rate SG as a match winner at least in ODIs... but Raina looks impressive and can be a match winner...

SoftSword
4th May 2010, 06:49 PM

Source: RediffI do NOT want him to be compared with sourav ganguly... I don't rate SG as a match winner at least in ODIs... but Raina looks impressive and can be a match winner...

raina deserves his due credit...
but calling SG not a match winner in ODI... :shock:
thumba jaasthi aagithu....

littlemaster1982
4th May 2010, 06:52 PM
I don't know why how the comparison was made in the first place. Apart from being left handers, they don't have anything in common :roll:

steveaustin
4th May 2010, 06:54 PM
I don't know why how the comparison was made in the first place. Apart from being left handers, they don't have anything in common :roll:

Another one too. Weakness against short-pitched deliveries. :wink:

villan007
Apart from being left handers, they don't have anything in common :roll:

Short pitch deliveries ada theriathula :P

satissh_r

This whole article is picked from another article in EspnStar. I'm not sure on what context he wrote it..

littlemaster1982
4th May 2010, 06:55 PM
Yeah, but how many Indian players are good in playing short pitched deliveries?

raajarasigan
4th May 2010, 06:59 PM
Yeah, but how many Indian players are good in playing short pitched deliveries?true... just think, if you are vulnerable against Short balls, can you score around 20000 runs in international cricket... Raina is still in his early 20's.. whereas SG was struggling even in his mid-30's.. Raina has enough time to learn.... now, he is trying to attack against short balls... once he gets matured, he will play that cleverly... :)

satissh_r
4th May 2010, 07:03 PM
Yeah, but how many Indian players are good in playing short pitched deliveries?true... just think, if you are vulnerable against Short balls, can you score around 20000 runs in international cricket... Raina is still in his early 20's.. whereas SG was struggling even in his mid-30's.. Raina has enough time to learn.... now, he is trying to attack against short balls... once he gets matured, he will play that cleverly... :)

for that to happen he has to get into the Test squad ASAP. namma domestic cricketla we dont get pitches that test the batsmen against short pitched deliveries

littlemaster1982
4th May 2010, 07:06 PM
RR,

I feel both Raina and SG's weakness against short pitched deliveries is exaggerated. Except very few players, no one is devoid of any visible weakness. How a player overcomes the weakness and plays to his strength is the only thing that matters.

steveaustin
4th May 2010, 07:06 PM
Very few. But many of them play better than him and Ganguly. Yuvraj too fell in this category while considering these two, he plays marginally better. When it comes to Right handers, Sehwag is still a bunny to short-pitched deliveries. But I'm surprised to see the bowlers all over the world failed to bowl those deliveries regularly. He too plays those deliveries in awkward positions. Few years ago, England team has exposed Sehwag even in the Indian pitch. Most of the times good pullers are able to play short-pitched deliveries than the drivers of the ball. There may be few exceptions. Both of these players play the short-pitched deliveries in awkward positions. For one it was his downfall and another in the making. However, few seniors like Sachin and Dravid can give suggestions to play those short-pitched deliveries from better position.

Indian team selection policy - Go and play with front foot. :)

littlemaster1982
4th May 2010, 07:09 PM
Sehwag is very very uncomfortable against deliveries directed to his rib cage. Somehow he had learnt to avoid getting out of those.

steveaustin
4th May 2010, 07:14 PM
RR,

I feel both Raina and SG's weakness against short pitched deliveries is exaggerated. Except very few players, no one is devoid of any visible weakness. How a player overcomes the weakness and plays to his strength is the only thing that matters.

May be. In reality, most of the times whenever Ganguly has played, fast bowlers always targetted his rib cage than many other players. This one would have made us to think that Ganguly was poor when it came to short-pitched deliveries than others. Further I am sure that Ganguly is not a natural puller just like the Aussie Steve Waugh. But Ganguly was fluent as well as comfortable when he drives the ball. I think Steve Waugh was targetted with short pitched deliveries more than any other player in the cricket world. But many times Waugh overcame by not playing those deliveries and simply left those by moving away (avoid) from the deliveries. This one may be the better option rather than going for a hit.

raajarasigan
4th May 2010, 07:19 PM
another thing is, short balls are effective only when you have pace.. at least 140 KM/H.... if you are bowling medium pace, you can be hit out of the ground...

Few players come to my mind who can play well against short balls...

Aravinda De Silva

Ricky Ponting - bit hesitant in adding him in this list... earlier, he was deadly against short balls... but later (2008/2009)... he himself made that tougher...

Rahul Dravid - no one can play short balls like this guy... another beauty is, he will still play that along the ground... :lol:

Lara / Sachin - it is just another shot for them....

Plum
4th May 2010, 07:21 PM
[tscii:724f459568][/tscii:724f459568]Raina has had his share of problems against short-pitched deliveries. Under the circumstances, it was surprising why the mercurial Dale Steyn, despite the nature of the surface, did not quite go for the jugular against the left-hander on Sunday. An Australian team, in contrast, would have been ruthless.

It must also be mentioned that Raina — he has striven to get into a more side-on position against the bouncing ball — is an improving batsman against short-pitched bowling.

But the extent of his improvement can only be determined against red-hot quicks on livelier surfaces.

---------------------

Tracks in Barbados could test the Indians

http://www.thehindu.com/2010/05/04/stories/2010050462581900.htm

It was Graeme Smith's fault. Just when Raina was hopping against Steyn, he removed Steyn after just one over. Got to say, Dhoni wouldnt have done that. ivLO varushamA captainA irukkAn Smith - indha latchaNam.
By the time Steyn came back, Raina was in a different mode.

Plum
4th May 2010, 07:22 PM
Exactly!

Plum
4th May 2010, 07:26 PM
Very few international batsmen play short deliveries with any degree of comfort. I have seen Pietersen, Gibbs, NZ batsmen(who are not good enough to be individually named here :lol:), even Australians dance against good short pitched bowling. Thing is when they play India, which is when we watch them most, there is not much scope to watch them playing short pitched fast deliveries as our bowlers arent good enough for that. But they struggle as much as we do except for a select few in each nation.

ellAm oru perception dhAn.
Is Ian Bell an acknowledged master of Short pitched bowling?
Martin Guptill?
Any other young batsman in any nation?

Vivasaayi
5th May 2010, 08:33 AM
Rahul Dravid - no one can play short balls like this guy... another beauty is, he will still play that along the ground... :lol:

bat-a padukka pottu short pich velayadradhu dravidthan :clap:

Vivasaayi
5th May 2010, 08:35 AM
if i am correct - sachin reduced his pulling and hooking after the injury.

i think initially he used to pull a lot....apdiye padeernu irukkum..when sachin pulls...better impact than any other batsman.

ricky ponting - front footlaye pull pandravan ivanthan.

littlemaster1982
5th May 2010, 08:42 AM

Shane Watson too.

raajarasigan
5th May 2010, 11:14 AM

Shane Watson too.ivangalukkellam munnodi Viv Richards.. Length balleye short ball maadhri front foot vachu mid-wicketla pull pannuvaaru.... ithai aadanumnu nenaicha short adichittu keezha than vizhanum... it requires excellent balance...

SoftSword
5th May 2010, 03:35 PM
wont u guys include azhar?

kid-glove
5th May 2010, 03:46 PM
Lara

:notworthy:

Prabo
5th May 2010, 04:14 PM
Murray Goodwin'nu oruthan irunthaan, I have seen him playing some fierce cut and pull shots...thideernu kaanama poitaan :?

raajarasigan
5th May 2010, 04:20 PM
Murray Goodwin'nu oruthan irunthaan, I have seen him playing some fierce cut and pull shots...thideernu kaanama poitaan :?oru timela, zimbabwe teame motthama kaanama poiyidichu... :)

raghavendran
5th May 2010, 04:22 PM
Murray Goodwin'nu oruthan irunthaan, I have seen him playing some fierce cut and pull shots...thideernu kaanama poitaan :?
ya...avan english county velayadi pathen oru vatti...he palyed thet20 tournament..i think for surrey..not sdure

satissh_r
5th May 2010, 05:12 PM
ya...avan english county velayadi pathen oru vatti...he palyed thet20 tournament..i think for surrey..not sdure

He played in ICL for Ahmadabad if i'm not wrong. I think he was available in last IPL auction also.. yaarum edukalanu nenaikiren.

Sourav
6th May 2010, 12:18 PM
There is a chance for Raina to captain the national team in the upcoming zim-tri series as most of the senior players will be rested for that series. :P

Plum
6th May 2010, 12:19 PM
Raina-vA? appO Gambhir-Oda Captaincy Vaazhkai?

Sourav
6th May 2010, 12:24 PM
sachin, viru - injury...
gauti, dhoni, zah, bhajji, yuvi ellorukkum ressttu.... :P sure-a therila, ithula yaaravathu oruthar irunthalum raina-ku captaincy kedaikkurathu kashtam than...

SoftSword
6th May 2010, 05:05 PM
There is a chance for Raina to captain the national team in the upcoming zim-tri series as most of the senior players will be rested for that series. :P

oru paya valarurappovae avanukku captain aasaya uruvaakki vittudreenga... avan valarchiyum atthoda ninrudhu...
SAC fans pola...

ajaybaskar
6th May 2010, 05:16 PM
SS,

Dont touch there....

SoftSword
6th May 2010, 05:47 PM
SS,

Dont touch there....
:lol:

raghavendran
6th May 2010, 07:23 PM
SS,

Dont touch there....

directhit
6th May 2010, 07:38 PM
Lara

:notworthy: :thumbsup:

SS :lol:

VinodKumar's
6th May 2010, 07:45 PM

oru paya valarurappovae avanukku captain aasaya uruvaakki vittudreenga... avan valarchiyum atthoda ninrudhu...
SAC fans pola...

kid-glove
6th May 2010, 07:46 PM
[tscii:e593f1cdf5][/tscii:e593f1cdf5]
Suresh Raina's mantra: make weakness a strength

To say Suresh Raina has come a long way from World T20 in England to the West Indies 2010 is stating the obvious.
What is not so obvious is the means to the end — Raina’s evolution from an errant talent without adequate technique against the rising ball to his emergence as a reliable and big-match player.

His century against South Africa the other day and an equally effective half century in the IPL-III final take care of that point. Match-winning efforts!

“He has always been a match-winner,” remarks Stephen Fleming, under whose watchful gaze Raina developed into a formidable batsman.

“Yup, I’m delighted by his hundred, not surprised. He is capable of much higher deeds,” Fleming, currently in New Zealand, says in conversation with DNA.

The New Zealander gives credit to the player, not himself. “We have worked out plans on the areas where we thought he might be attacked. He tried hard at the nets with rising balls to make the right adjustments. He is a hard trier.”

Fleming reveals that Raina was prepared to face a barrage of shot balls every time he went out to bat. “He knew that he would be attacked with short balls and I felt he is more than equipped to deal with it. I just had to make him realise his strengths. He went on to turn the so-called weakness into his strength.”

The difference, Fleming points out, is that Raina did not allow his strong points to be affected by the adjustments he made to play the short stuff. “That’s what good players do. Improvement in one area cannot be allowed to lead to deterioration in another area.”

Fleming’s contribution was more mental than technical. “To be
honest, Suresh has been working on this with Gary Kirsten. My duty has been to facilitate and organise the facilities needed for him to work on those areas. More specifically I worked on the mental part of Suresh and his Twenty20 game.

“I’ve advised him on what frame of mind he should be in a Twenty20 format,” he said.

The former Black Caps’ skipper thinks Raina can get better because of the environment he is in.

“He will improve simply because he has an amazing opportunity to learn. He plays with great players like Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid and MS Dhoni. He knows the value of his proximity to such great players and he is using that to the maximum. He constantly listens to them. He is grabbing that opportunity with both hands.”

The IPL-winning coach feels Raina is able to expand his repertoire because he is not afraid of playing them.

“Success breeds confidence. The range of shots he plays is a kind of expression of himself. He is able to play them because of his new-found confidence. His level of confidence matches his abilities. He is very positive and is not afraid of playing shots.”
According to Fleming, Raina’s consistency is largely due to the
realisation that he might lose the opportunity to bat higher up in the order if he were to falter. “He’s quite ambitious and is also aware that he is a good player now.”

Being a left-hander himself, Fleming admits that it was for him to understand Raina’s requirements but rates the young Uttar Pradesh bat higher than himself. “He is very hard to bowl to I’d imagine. At this stage, Suresh is well ahead of his age in cricket. I was not even half as talented at that stage.”

Sourav
7th May 2010, 06:31 AM

SAC fans pola... :evil: :twisted:

VinodKumar's
7th May 2010, 11:22 AM

SAC fans pola... :evil: :twisted:

Neenga APPA SAC fan ah :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

raajarasigan
7th May 2010, 05:15 PM
in Today's match, Raina should at least score a 50... Aus bowlers thenaradikkanum....

For Murali Vijay -- Acid Test today but very good opportunity to prove the world...

Plum
7th May 2010, 06:09 PM
Vijay - not sure if he'll survive against the out and out pace bowlers (not 1, not 2, 3-4 of them) of Australia. porumai avasiyam - but despite a reputation as monk, he seems to be a different animal in T20 throwing away the wicket easily. enakkennamO nambikkai illai

satissh_r
7th May 2010, 08:19 PM
Vijay - not sure if he'll survive against the out and out pace bowlers (not 1, not 2, 3-4 of them) of Australia. porumai avasiyam - but despite a reputation as monk, he seems to be a different animal in T20 throwing away the wicket easily. enakkennamO nambikkai illai

Chatergy?

VinodKumar's
7th May 2010, 08:28 PM

Chatergy?

Jeyicha "strategy" illaena "naan appovae sonnaen" la :lol: :lol:

jinju
7th May 2010, 09:01 PM
ipl dummies turn the clock back to the past peeing all over the place when they come up against the MEN, yet again!!!! future is bright, indeed :lol:

Plum
7th May 2010, 09:02 PM
It was a failed chatterjee vinod :)

sathya_1979
7th May 2010, 09:08 PM
ipl dummies turn the clock back to the past peeing all over the place when they come up against the MEN, yet again!!!! future is bright, indeed :lol:
Jinju - People like Raina, Rohit... have talent. No doubt about that (at least for me). But, they have visible flaws and fall prey to the same. Whether they are the future, time only has to answer. But for now, IMO, the future of India STILL are Sachin, Dravid and Laxman (At least for the next 2-3 years). It's time to start exposing young talent like Raina and Rohit in Test Arena on rotational basis on bouncy / seaming tracks. IIRC, Zaheer came back a rejuvenated man after playing in English County. These youngsters can also do the same to get exposure to alien conditions.

jinju
7th May 2010, 09:37 PM
Jinju - People like Raina, Rohit... have talent. No doubt about that (at least for me). But, they have visible flaws and fall prey to the same. Whether they are the future, time only has to answer. But for now, IMO, the future of India STILL are Sachin, Dravid and Laxman (At least for the next 2-3 years). It's time to start exposing young talent like Raina and Rohit in Test Arena on rotational basis on bouncy / seaming tracks. IIRC, Zaheer came back a rejuvenated man after playing in English County. These youngsters can also do the same to get exposure to alien conditions.

oh i never told this guy/guys dont have talent sathya...without that, they wouldn't have got into the team in the first place! my question all the way in this thread has been, why this unnecessary hype? why these ill-fitting titles? why this thread? for the 400 runs that raina tallied in a circus called ipl?! i seriously thot there were better judges here...

even after his innings agains SA the other day, most of us knew this was just around the corner...thats the point i made by saying taht 5 years back he was touted as the future, 5 years down the line he is still the future! his stock shot is the swipe over midwicket, on low slow pitches he connects and if it's the ipl circus teams they drop generously and hes the future again, but aussies dont drop many, international teams dont drop many! lets not go into shortpitched deliveries discussion...barring dravid, sachin i dont think anyone in our lineup plays it proper, forget raina who even after the SA innings, almost every expert predicted his real test would come today, so see, a vast majority is still unconvinced, yet here we have some unnecessary hype which prompts me to react coz i've seen this suresh raina brother flunk in international outings against REAL attacks... :D ! Rohit, Badri i have hopes, but this chap is yuvraj part II imo....and yeah he might run up 50 after 50 in the world cup that is scheduled on our pitches, n then again he'l be termed the future no doubt...n so the story goes on and on... :D

sathya_1979
7th May 2010, 09:39 PM
I could see that the "so-called" hype, titles etc is only due to CSK winning IPL. Raina scored 400+ runs in the first 2 editions of IPL also. But, no such titles or hype beore CSK win.

jinju
7th May 2010, 09:47 PM
I could see that the "so-called" hype, titles etc is only due to CSK winning IPL. Raina scored 400+ runs in the first 2 editions of IPL also. But, no such titles or hype beore CSK win.

adhaan appove naan sonnen, ipl perfo paathu rate pannaadheenganu...luk at y pathan, another ipl hero, internasanal zero :D ! only gud thing is this defeat came in the first match of super 8 n theres still time to correct the issues n go thru...illenaa, next match kemar roach n co ready aayittirukkaanga!

kid-glove
7th May 2010, 10:17 PM
:(

Raina is a matchwinner as we saw against SA. Rohit played well today. Not match winning, but still a consolation.Not sure he would have survived against Nannes & Tait, who were both brilliant. In fact, neither conceded a single boundary against Sharma in their earlier spells when the new ball was bouncing sharply (who left all short balls & survived, & then play weaker bowlers). How many times did Rogith swing his bat and fail to connect the ball completely? The number of misses & wild attempts, one would lose count. I don't know why one would rate him based on this match, after only scoring against the weaker bowlers and not facing much of Nannes & Tait like the top 3 did. He was living dangerously.

And It's not just Raina, Gambhir, Pathan or Vijay, but even Yuvraaj & Dhoni threw their wickets away in hurry. Maybe a failed strategy?

We will see what happens against West Indies and Sri Lanka.

Vivasaayi
8th May 2010, 08:58 AM

bro,

Im a Raina fan for loooooong.From the time he has entered international circuit.

I have been talking abt raina in the other threads for long :)

Vivasaayi
8th May 2010, 09:02 AM

jinju,

for your information - at present the world's best fast bowler is Mr.Steyn,against whom these guys launched the balls to the stands.

sathya_1979
8th May 2010, 09:11 AM

bro,

Im a Raina fan for loooooong.From the time he has entered international circuit.

I have been talking abt raina in the other threads for long :)
Vivs, I also like Raina. But, he need to prove himself in various conditions (especially Aus and Eng) before being called the next big thing. Ippove kaN drishti pattu avarum namma Ishant, RP, Munaf listla serndhuda poraarunnu oru kavalaidhaan :D

Vivasaayi
8th May 2010, 09:12 AM
IMO, the future of India STILL are Sachin, Dravid and Laxman (At least for the next 2-3 years). It's time to start exposing young talent like Raina and Rohit in Test Arena on rotational basis on bouncy / seaming tracks. IIRC, Zaheer came back a rejuvenated man after playing in English County. These youngsters can also do the same to get exposure to alien conditions.

oh i never told this guy/guys dont have talent sathya...without that, they wouldn't have got into the team in the first place! my question all the way in this thread has been, why this unnecessary hype? why these ill-fitting titles? why this thread? for the 400 runs that raina tallied in a circus called ipl?! i seriously thot there were better judges here...

FYI,I have been supporting Raina even in the international matches he has been playing - you would have known if you have checked the threads.Infact , the reason why I support raina ahead of others like yousuf,rohit is his consistency at the international level - while others have just managed it in IPL which involves rookie bowlers and flat pitches.

Just check Rain's consistency at international level.

Rohit, Badri i have hopes, but this chap is yuvraj part II imo....and yeah he might run up 50 after 50 in the world cup that is scheduled on our pitches, n then again he'l be termed the future no doubt...n so the story goes on and on... :D

Now u r supporting Rohit,...based on what?..how many international matches has he performed - The main contributer to his resume is IPL - Which u call as circus.

Badrinath - A guy who tries to hit a 2-meter-wide-of-offstump to thge leg side is rich in shots?... :lol:

sathya_1979
8th May 2010, 09:16 AM

jinju,

for your information - at present the world's best fast bowler is Mr.Steyn,against whom these guys launched the balls to the stands.
Vivs, what where these guys doing in Barbados? On docile pitches even Debang Gandhi and Sujith Somasundar can look like Sachin or Lara. True talent will stand in testing conditions (Sunny Vs Pak at Bangalore, Sachin at Perth, Dravid in Headingly etc comes to my mind). Nobody is denying that Raina is a great talent and surely can be the future of Indian Cricket. BUT, he shud be exposed to various conditions and shud prove himself. That's the point myself and Jinju are trying to drive. We are not bashing Raina, we are just saying that calling him the "Present" is bit over the top. Future - Certainly yes, I agree 100%

Vivasaayi
8th May 2010, 09:20 AM
sathya,

From whatever oppurtunities he has got - he has been consistent...lets wait and watch what he does when plays test matches..

Short balls - it wont affect him at test level - he can just play them off and wait for the balls which suits him :)

sathya_1979
8th May 2010, 09:23 AM
sathya,

From whatever oppurtunities he has got - he has been consistent...lets wait and watch what he does when plays test matches :)
Yes, he has been consistent (Way ahead of the others in the younger bunch). With proper grooming and exposure, he can definitely be one of the shining stars of the future. But, to get a Test Spot, he may need to wait for 2-3 years, till one of the Big-3 retires or wait for Yuvraj's injury / loss of form.

jinju
8th May 2010, 09:38 AM

jinju,

yeah and you wud've heard teh commentators quipping "surprising that steyn didnt test him with the shortpitched stuff to which his weakness is well documented" in fact, there was not even a yorker i remember...add to that the friendly indian kind of pitch where even yuvraj in his current form made a 40 against that attack :D !

jinju
8th May 2010, 09:46 AM
FYI,I have been supporting Raina even in the international matches he has been playing - you would have known if you have checked the threads.Infact , the reason why I support raina ahead of others like yousuf,rohit is his consistency at the international level - while others have just managed it in IPL which involves rookie bowlers and flat pitches.

Just check Rain's consistency at international level.

Rohit, Badri i have hopes, but this chap is yuvraj part II imo....and yeah he might run up 50 after 50 in the world cup that is scheduled on our pitches, n then again he'l be termed the future no doubt...n so the story goes on and on... :D

Now u r supporting Rohit,...based on what?..how many international matches has he performed - The main contributer to his resume is IPL - Which u call as circus.

Badrinath - A guy who tries to hit a 2-meter-wide-of-offstump to thge leg side is rich in shots?... :lol:

consistency from raina in the home matches/subcontinent matches is a given i agree!

i place rohit ahead of raina in that he has more variety of shots, technically his game is more solid than raina...only negative i see in him is his attitude, remba mosam :( ...!and also i value a fighting 50 in a final against a potent australian attack on their own soil on a juicy pitch when the top order crumbled yet again than all these runs raina has made on subcontinent pitches and ipl against average bowling attacks...

and badri, well, hes my test no:3/4 hope after dravid/sachin retires...just like u have ur hopes pinned on raina :D, aanaal ippove age 29 aayidchunu plum konja naal munnaadi sonnaar... :( well, lets put it that way, i like solid players than the flashy ones n u otherwise!

Plum
8th May 2010, 11:04 AM
sathya,

From whatever oppurtunities he has got - he has been consistent...lets wait and watch what he does when plays test matches..

Short balls - it wont affect him at test level - he can just play them off and wait for the balls which suits him :)

Available evidence in first class cricket doesnt show that he has the temparament to play short balls off and wait for the bad balls.

Vivasaayi
8th May 2010, 12:27 PM
sathya,

Available evidence in first class cricket doesnt show that he has the temparament to play short balls off and wait for the bad balls.

dravid kitta oru 2 months rigorous training anupanum - to learn perseverance

kid-glove
8th May 2010, 12:31 PM
yesh as if first vlass indian bowlers are great at short balls.. Rohit might have all the strokes imaginable against weaker bowlers but would still fail consistently against international bowlers. Have more hopes on raina and kohli.

jinju
8th May 2010, 01:18 PM
kid, so u r implying that a player who cant succeed against, indian first class bowlers who r not great at short balls according to u, can succeed @ the international level, esply the test arena. :roll:

Plum
8th May 2010, 01:37 PM
kid, sari vilAvAriyA pEsuvOm

Limited Overs - ODIs and Tests:
What is required to succeed in today's milieu?

Boldness, talent to hit the big shots, fearless attitude, good fielding skills - Raina fits all. Ofcourse, the odd Barbados pitch will mean he fails but even Gambhir looked uncomfortable - Gambhir who has shown the gumption in tests in varied conditions - yesterday so I guess that's the new reality in Cricket. Such tests of character and technique are going to be rare - so, Raina will be very, very succesful in this arena without improving much from what he is now.

Rohit - his inability to cash in when the going is good, the tendency to throw it all away - unless he changes it, he will always be inferior to Raina in achievements in limited overs. But, who has the better technique? Undoubtedly, Rohit. Mumbai gymkhnaa groundsla vaLarndhu periya ALA varum yaarukkumE techniquela oru advantage irukka dhAn seiyum- avanga varalaaru apdi, avanga environment apdi pattadhu.

In short, I expect Raina to outshine Rohit 9/10 times, the tenth time being the hard pitches and bowlers, but such situations come only once in a while so Raina will be the winner here.

Tests
=====
To succeed in tests, you need technique, you need temparament, you need character. Raina has character but Rohit has technique and temparament. Now, the question is who is going to acquire or polish what they dont have.
In general, attitude and character is in-born, and cannot be changed easily so it is more likely that a man with character acquires enough technique and temparement to outshine the one has those two attributes but not character.

But my gut-feel is that Rohit's lack of character is not irreversible like in Kambli's case. I think, he has enough pride to put his head down when pushed to the extreme - like he showed in the Ranji trophy last year with steupendous knocks in finals and semis. Problem with him is with one good knock, comes over confidence.

Raina's less tighter technique should still not be a problem as gumption and character will normally help him compensate, but I feel that the second aspect, temparament - lacking in that is what is a problem for him. No major first class innings to show - his winning knocks had ugly, ordinary swipes which escaped only because opposition fielders dropped the catch - and teh tendency to try and hit his way out of trouble ALWAYS. Unless he overcomes this, I dont see him trumping Rohit in tests.
Now, my equation is, in terms of achieving cricketing success

GUMPTION, CHARACTER +TEMPARAMENT >>> TECHNIQUE
But
GUMPTION+CHARACTER not necessarily > TECHNIQUE alone

Raina needs to add that attribute called temparament to rise clearly above Rohit. Given Rohit's character and attitude, which is roughly the size of Yuvraj's ego plus belly, I wish Raina adds this attribute and succeeds. Either that or I wish Rohit fixes his attitude issues and adds gumption and character to his skills.

jinju
8th May 2010, 01:57 PM
well analyzed Plum!

kid-glove
8th May 2010, 02:26 PM
thanks for that plum. Not sure abt the supposedly great technique of rohit. If you still get out with what you have, then of what good is your technique...

Vivasaayi
8th May 2010, 02:28 PM
thanks for that plum. Not sure abt the supposedly great technique of rohit. If you still get out with what you have, then of what good is your technique...

ditto!

Plum
8th May 2010, 02:55 PM
Technique is of use when you have a difficult pitch/bowlers/scenarios like barbados the other day. And is a must to survive in tests. Getting out is not just a function of technique - poor shot selection could be a reason, speaking of which raina is guilty of that often - what is the difference between 5 against Aus and 60 in IPL final - in both innings he gave early chances with poor shots, mumbai dropped them, australia didn't. That made the difference.

Rohit can still fix his attitude and shot selection - if and when he does that, he'll soar above his peers. Its a million dollar question if he will do that

satissh_r
9th May 2010, 06:13 PM
Raina to lead India in Zimbabwe

Squad: M Vijay, Dinesh Karthik (wk), Suresh Raina (capt), Virat Kohli (vice-capt), Rohit Sharma, Yusuf Pathan, Ravindra Jadeja, R Ashwin, Umesh Yadav, Vinay Kumar, Ashok Dinda, Pankaj Singh, Amit Mishra, Pragyan Ojha, Naman Ojha

Note: Piyush Chawla will join the squad for the Twenty20s.

Plum
9th May 2010, 06:35 PM
Cheeka :clap: - he is compensating for decades of bias against TN players by picking tN players despite consistent failure by the said players - nobody will complain if vijay and karthik were dropped given their non-performance and distinct show of discomfort in intl cricket - which doesn't look like a gap they"ll be able to bridge ever - but cheeka is showing tremendous regional pride and bias by continuing to pick them. India jeyikkaradhu mukkiyam illai - undeserving tn playersai pick pandraangaLEnnu north indies folks polambaNum - evLO varusham namma polambi iruppOm :lol:

satissh_r
9th May 2010, 06:39 PM
V kohliku VC koduthathu than enaku konjam varuthama irukku. Could have been Dk or RS

Sourav
9th May 2010, 06:41 PM
:D athan appove sonnomulla... :P
DK-i asingappauthurrangae.... vice-captain-aachum potturukkalaam... :oops:

directhit
9th May 2010, 06:59 PM

Squad: M Vijay, Dinesh Karthik (wk), Suresh Raina (capt), Virat Kohli (vice-capt), Rohit Sharma, Yusuf Pathan, Ravindra Jadeja, R Ashwin, Umesh Yadav, Vinay Kumar, Ashok Dinda, Pankaj Singh, Amit Mishra, Pragyan Ojha, Naman Ojha

Note: Piyush Chawla will join the squad for the Twenty20s. No Pandey/Uthappa!

MADDY
9th May 2010, 08:10 PM
Congrats to Raina - good choice and person with right attitude for leading a side

Prabo
9th May 2010, 08:40 PM
Expected one. But, why Kozhi in the team and that too as VC....avanum avan attitudum

Plum
9th May 2010, 08:46 PM
Kohli vice captain? :roll:
AhA! Innum teamla place-E confirm aagala adhukkuLLayA?

kid-glove
10th May 2010, 12:37 AM

ditto!

:)

Another day, nothing to change my opinion..

jinju
10th May 2010, 08:49 AM

actually others' too...on the thread subject :lol: the ugly swipe over midwicket yet again :D

Plum
10th May 2010, 11:09 AM
Ada pOngappA irukkaradhu ellAmE thEvai illAdha ANi idhula infighting vErayA?

kid-glove
10th May 2010, 11:22 AM

actually others' too...on the thread subject :lol: the ugly swipe over midwicket yet again :D

Adhu oru karuthu :P

jinju
10th May 2010, 11:30 AM

to be read in vadivel's "no no no...no baed woerds...i see.....just for jatti" tone of MTV....

"no no no...no inpighting....i see....just for timepass..." :D

kid-glove
10th May 2010, 11:34 AM
Problem is in self-righteous assumption that one has a better judgment.

jinju
10th May 2010, 11:42 AM
Problem is in self-righteous assumption that one has a better judgment.

idhuvum oru unmai....

kid-glove
10th May 2010, 12:47 PM
Gayle, not many used to rate him when he first started.
People thought he was bit of a slog-block kind that they think Raina is of, and his stroke-plays were predominantly mid-wicket slashes.
That he is another one of those players who liked playing weak bowling nations. He thrashed India in a ODI series with consecutive centuries IIRC. Was thought of to be a proverbial "FTB".

jinju
10th May 2010, 01:16 PM
kid, gayle still is an on and off player in odis, but the best that WI has got in sometime, n that doesn't say much :D ...and he hasn't proved much in the test arena either! if u r comparing raina with gayle, no issues coz gayle's just a destructive batter who makes his presence in 1/5 matches and that too only in the shorter versions, nothing more...adhu dhaan yuvraj, raina ellaam panraanga, idhu dhaan namma pointea...ippo neengale sollitteenga :D

kid-glove
10th May 2010, 01:28 PM
Gayle is a destructive player (as in a prolific matchwinner), and has proved he could cut it in ODI & Test than what most would like to believe.

jinju
10th May 2010, 01:34 PM
Gayle is a destructive player (as in a prolific matchwinner), and has proved he could cut it in ODI & Test than what most would like to believe.

12 hundreds in 85 tests suggests that he could cut it in tests, but not a matchwinner...only 2 has resulted in wins, one being against zimbabwe and another england, hardly world class bowling! that's why most of the time i've felt viru/gayle comparison by the experts is unfair! gayle-raina, yes, do it...

Plum
10th May 2010, 01:34 PM
Jinju, gayle has a test triple century to his credit. If Raina can hit even a triple in domestic cricket, I'd be happy. It is a temparament problem with him.

In general, we are weak against short pitched bowling. Granted. When I say it is exaggerated in media(sathya, this is the explanation you had asked for), what I mean is it is not that big a factor. Even steve waugh was manadhai thirudi vittai steve against short pitched. But he managed to develop adequate game to counter that. Only thing is test cricket offers you the time to leave all short balls and cash on other deliveries. T20 doesn't. So, weakness in T20 against short ball doesn't mean guaranteed failure in test cricket on bouncy pitches. Case in point - Gambhir.

Question is do you have a good defensive tech against the short ball? Gambhir seems to as his success in varied conditions in test cricket shows. As of now, Raina doesn't inspire confidence there plus his tendency to try to hit his way out of trouble.he has to fix that for a place in the test team

kid-glove
10th May 2010, 01:38 PM

12 hundreds in 85 tests suggests that he could cut it in tests, but not a matchwinner...only 2 has resulted in wins, one being against zimbabwe and another england, hardly world class bowling! that's why most of the time i've felt viru/gayle comparison by the experts is unfair! gayle-raina, yes, do it...Problem with Gayle is he's playing in the worst WI team in decades. I rate him to be their most likely match-winner. If Gayle is asked to play with Sachin and Dravid in place of Viru, he'd fare as good if not better as pressure is a considerably less..

jinju
10th May 2010, 01:45 PM
Problem with Gayle is he's playing in the worst WI team in decades. I rate him to be their most likely match-winner. If Gayle is asked to play with Sachin and Dravid in place of Viru, he'd fare as good if not better as pressure is a considerably less..

hmm right in many ways, but still...i rated sarwan for long, i still think hes their best bat, but attitude, injuries, inconsistency etc saw him drop off...

plum what do u think about this? gayle as gud as viru...? i mean not in hitting abilities but being a genuine matchwinner in tests if he had a test lineup like India's to follow?

kid-glove
10th May 2010, 01:45 PM
I rate Sarwan too.

jinju
10th May 2010, 01:46 PM
Jinju, gayle has a test triple century to his credit. If Raina can hit even a triple in domestic cricket, I'd be happy. It is a temparament problem with him.

yeah a matchsaving one against SA at the fag end of a disastrous series...fab innings!

Plum
10th May 2010, 01:47 PM
Auuuuu....Gayle is well behind Viru-nga.
I wont dismiss him as a fit-only-for-ODIs but discriminate paNNanumnga between him and Viru.

The long and short of it - would I like Raina in the test team? Yes, I like that boy(more than Rohit) but is he ready for that? No. Can he bridge the gap? Yes, I think he can. Take inspiration from Laxman, who had issues making big scores initially in domestic cricket before he willed himself to doubles and triples by fixing his temparament. Another matter that Lax failed to do himelf full justice in tests by throwing his wicket cheaply against the Zimbabwes and Sri Lankas and lesser teams compared to Australia. Even there, he has now fixed that and is very consistent against all teams now.

Incidentally, Rohit needs to take inspiration from Laxman as well. He can well be the next Laxman in terms of aesthetic appeal - but without adding a layer of steel, determination and grit, he cannot make it big.

kid-glove
10th May 2010, 01:51 PM
Flum,
Gayle at 25 was a different animal to the early one.

I'm hinging Raina to make considerable improvements to his game. Of course, I'm assuming he will be given chances in a strong Indian test side. It will be harder for him than Gayle, as he got into a weak WI side with relative ease.

Plum
10th May 2010, 01:58 PM
Oh, I hope so. It helps to have atleast 3 batsmen who can make it to all 3 forms of the game. If not exactly Viru-Sachin-Rahul-Laxman, I hope Gauti-Vijay-Raina-Rohit becomes a reasonably formidable combination in tests for India. Atleast oru Hayden-Ponting-Martyn-S Waugh rangekku vandhA sandhOsham.

P.S: Given my jinx, all fans of these 4 can officially lose hopes on these 4 batsmen now :-)

jinju
10th May 2010, 02:00 PM
gayle is only 25, huh :shock: ! afridi parambarayaa illa nejamaava, avarukku dhaan theriyum:D !

kid-glove
10th May 2010, 02:01 PM
gayle is only 25, huh :shock: ! afridi parambarayaa illa nejamaava, avarukku dhaan theriyum:D !

Lack of comprehension. I said, Gayle at 25 (When he was hitting triple centuries) was a different animal to the early one. He is 30-31 now

jinju
10th May 2010, 02:06 PM
oh 'was' ah? my mistike...

raghavendran
10th May 2010, 03:00 PM
short pitch bowling aadi practice pannanum...apparamdhaan long term survival paththi yosikka mudiyum :?

kid-glove
12th May 2010, 01:59 AM
Nice to see Sangakara and Jayawardene showing appreciation towards Raina. You're going places, buddy. :thumbsup:

vanchi
12th May 2010, 02:03 AM
:yes: again a good knock.

kid-glove
12th May 2010, 02:06 AM
And yes, he got a lifeline when Sanga missed a stumping chance. Against SA, he did hit a no-ball straight to a fielder. But I'd not regard that as "luck". He's slowly but surely cutting out the customary mistakes-per-innings.

raghavendran
12th May 2010, 03:04 PM
this time he got stuck after he reached 47...semme slow...the same thing happened in ipl final...may b he has to wokr on hitting the yorkers out...

kid-glove
12th May 2010, 03:06 PM
this time he got stuck after he reached 47...semme slow...the same thing happened in ipl final...may b he has to wokr on hitting the yorkers out...

Now it's wrong to have few dot balls :x
He has no problems hitting Malinga's yorkers. He looked far more comfortable than any other batsman. Pity our bowlers couldn't bowl well..

Prabo
12th May 2010, 03:57 PM

Now it's wrong to have few dot balls :x
He has no problems hitting Malinga's yorkers. He looked far more comfortable than any other batsman. Pity our bowlers couldn't bowl well..

Though Raina can play all over the ground, he prefers to heave over the mid wicket, particularly during death overs. When cramped for room he seems to struggle, remember that 2 back to back flat bowling by Malinga and Bhajji in IPL final. He was stuck to the crease. But, good thing now is, he is using the crease in the last overs, to convert those into full toss. He will sort it out soon :)

Vivasaayi
28th July 2010, 08:07 PM
so once the chance was given raina proved it...

Sourav
28th July 2010, 08:49 PM
kutti thala.... :victory:

vicky, there was a article came in TOI day b4 that told abt raina's long wait to play his first test... i will search and post that....

Vivasaayi
28th July 2010, 08:58 PM
Periya thala, kutti thala rendum :clap: