PDA

View Full Version : Best Hub ODI team (From 1990) - Opening Partner for GOD

Plum
10th March 2010, 04:48 PM
With one opening spot reserved for the GOD of ALL THINGS, Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar, our search for a opening pair is restricted to the second opener. Post 90's being the golden age of batting, countless candidates present themselves, among which nominations have been received for the 10 options you see. Go ahead and support your favourite!

Aalavanthan
10th March 2010, 04:49 PM
Silk Smith ..er.. Mark Waugh :lol:

why .. yaen.. endhuku.. kyun

19thmay
10th March 2010, 04:49 PM
Plum, P_R,

After Friday P_R can delete this thread and simulntaneously we can start a seperate thread for one down, what say ya?

Plum
10th March 2010, 04:52 PM
Silk Smith ..er.. Mark Waugh :lol:

why .. yaen.. endhuku.. kyun

chummA chummA. 'Silken Smooth' didnt sound that entertaining, so added some masala.

Plum
10th March 2010, 05:14 PM
Candidate #1:
Adam Craig Gilchrist: (http://www.cricinfo.com/australia/content/player/5390.html)
The man who redefined the role of a keeper-batsman to a batsman-keeper. Echoes of his success still resound in the selection of batsman-keeper in almost all international teams now. Check this scorecard (http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/65724.html)
A team could win a tournament with a keeper at #10. Can you imagine it now? No way, not after AC Gilchrist showed the way

Plum
10th March 2010, 05:19 PM
Candidate #2:
Sanath Teran Jayasurya (http://www.cricinfo.com/srilanka/content/player/49209.html)

A lower order biffer-cum-spinner-turned-pinch-hitter-turned-opener-turned-revolutionary. When on song, very few teams could contain him. although his success rate is higher in the sub-continent. What's more, a more than useful left arm spinner, who can fire it in at a respectable career E/R of 4.78 with 300+ ODI wickets. Fit and raring to go at 40+ years of age. Electric fielder in the beginning of his career, and still a decent, safe fielder, probably better than Indian colts half his age. You want to think ten times before rejecting his candidature, especially if the subcontinent is the choice of venue.

Plum
10th March 2010, 05:23 PM
Candidate #3:
Sourav Chandidas Ganguly (http://www.cricinfo.com/srilanka/content/player/49209.html)

Apart from other qualifications, Dada is the only one who has proof of the pudding - namely, he is the only international cricketer to have proven on field that he can be a succesful partner to GOD. If you want someone who has proof of being succesful with Sachin, look no further than this man, who offers a remarkable buffet of silken, smooth drives on the offside, combined with elegant lofts straight down the field, especially off left-arm spinners, who seem to have rubbed him the wrong way as a tribe; such is his contempt for them!
Not to mention an ability to get up the noses of the opposition.

Plum
10th March 2010, 05:28 PM
Candidate #4:
Virender Sehwag (http://www.cricinfo.com/srilanka/content/player/49209.html)
He chose to play for the Daredevils in the IPL. An apter marriage of Club name and player characteristic, you cannot find in the history of Cricket. A twisted man, whose assesment of risk mocks at the whole concept of Risk management. He exudes irreverence - to theories, to pitches, to bowlers' reputations, to situations. He is there to hit the ball, and hit, he will, if he finds the ball there to be hit. One of the very few practitioners of butchery, who makes it a watchable craft. Choose him if you want high-octane thrill sustainable for long periods, unlike other comptetitors, including the irrepressible Gilly.

Dinesh84
10th March 2010, 05:30 PM
Check this (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=2;filter=advanced;orderby=fow_sco re;player_involve=1934;player_involve=2024;player_ involve_type=all;spanmin1=01+Jan+1990;spanval1=spa n;team=6;template=results;type=fow)

Plum
10th March 2010, 05:43 PM
Plum, P_R,

After Friday P_R can delete this thread and simulntaneously we can start a seperate thread for one down, what say ya?
Instead of deleting, maybe it can be locked.

Plum
10th March 2010, 05:43 PM
Candidate #5:
Tillakaratne Mudiyanselage Dilshan (http://www.cricinfo.com/srilanka/content/player/49209.html)

Tula Mohemmad Dilshan, as he was originally known, before converting to Buddhism is a chameleon. It was not just the name he changed. He has constantly reinvented himself, from middle order biffer, to mad max to T20 captain to a Viru-esque Test opener.
Aptly enough, he plies his trade for the daredevils apprenticing under the original thunder, Sehwag himself .
You can call him Viru-lite. Then again, this version comes with almost similar off-break skills, electric fielding skills, plus a wicket keeping option. You never know, you may have better use for this version than the original!

Plum
10th March 2010, 05:46 PM
Candidate #6
Mark Edward Waugh (http://www.cricinfo.com/australia/content/player/8189.html)

His middle name is Edward. It could have been Elegance. Well admired for being an artist among artisans that his team-mates were, Mark Waugh was a man who had many shots, and enough time to play them all. If you want a dose of finesse in the spread, then this is the candidate you are after.

Plum
10th March 2010, 05:51 PM
Candidate #7
Matthew Lawrence Hayden (http://www.cricinfo.com/australia/content/player/8189.html)

His size is what strikes you - metaphorically and physically. He intimidated a generation of bowlers with his imposing presence before the bluff ran out, and he retired with a whimper, as tens of Davids began to slay the mighty Goliath too often. At his best, he could reduce manly bowlers to whimpering sissies. His most salutary contribution to Cricket, though, has been with the mouth - a memorable phrase to describe what is, indeed, an obnoxious weed (http://www.cricinfo.com/india/content/player/29264.html)
I recommend him for this one qualification alone!

Plum
10th March 2010, 05:56 PM
Candidate #8
Saeed Anwar (http://www.cricinfo.com/pakistan/content/player/42605.html)
Memories of a single, spectacular innings obscure what is otherwise a mediocre career. But that 194 will be something this man treasures all his life, and will tell his grandchildren about, if he takes time off his preaching to breed a clan, that is.
I dont know how I can recommend him over other candidates, especially as the 194 has been, deservedly, overtaken by GOD. Whatever.

Plum
10th March 2010, 06:00 PM
Candidate #9
Christopher Henry Gayle (http://www.cricinfo.com/australia/content/player/8189.html)

With a name that was destined to be a delight for tabloid headline writers, Chris, the Gail, lived up to it with one blistering innings after another. A cool cat, if ever there was one, he also complements his batting with some useful off-spin. However, dont complain if he doesnt turn up after you pick him. You neeed to be cool enough for him to be a part of your team.

Plum
10th March 2010, 06:01 PM
Candidate #10
Nathan Astle (http://www.cricinfo.com/australia/content/player/8189.html)
Someone nominated him. That person better write something for him. Vote him if you want to diss this poll, or you dont like me and want to piss on this thread.

Plum
10th March 2010, 06:15 PM
koot, koot. 6 Votes distributed among 6 candidates. Not the walkover for Gilly that I expected

19thmay
10th March 2010, 06:25 PM
Great job Plum :clap: :clap::clap:

Kalyasi
11th March 2010, 11:54 AM
Plummar :rotfl3: @ Astle and Anwar...

Plum
11th March 2010, 12:00 PM
Wow! There is a fight now - between Dada and Gilly.
*naradar alert*
Let me remind Dhoni fans that if Gilly doesnt make it as opener, Dhoni will have competition for Wk role :-)

P_R
11th March 2010, 12:45 PM
Candidate #8
Memories of a single, spectacular innings obscure what is otherwise a mediocre career. But that 194 will be something this man treasures all his life, and will tell his grandchildren about, if he takes time off his preaching to breed a clan, that is.
I dont know how I can recommend him over other candidates, especially as the 194 has been, deservedly, overtaken by GOD. Whatever.

Allov he was one of the more fluent strokemakers of the 90s.
Much has been written about Ganguly being 'god of the off-side' but I think Saeed Anwar was just as fluent if not more. Square drive ellAm kaN-la oththikkalaam.

Apart from 194, there are several other innings including his SarchA dream run in the early 90s that stand in my eye itself, that I register my protest against such summary dismissal of such a player.

Plum
11th March 2010, 12:49 PM
sari appO mandapathula kavidhai ezhudhi kodunga. naan inge post paNNi prize vaangidarEn.

littlemaster1982
11th March 2010, 12:54 PM
Candidate #8

Much has been written about Ganguly being 'god of the off-side' but I think Saeed Anwar was just as fluent if not more. Square drive ellAm kaN-la oththikkalaam.

Apart from 194, there are several other innings including his SarchA dream run in the early 90s that stand in my eye itself, that I register my protest against such summary dismissal of such a player.

He is the only player to hit 3 consecutive 100s in ODIs. Innum yaarum break pannala. And he was leading the race to most centuries in ODI then. Sachin overtook him easily.

Plum
11th March 2010, 01:01 PM
But podhuvA face bowling, bounce-nA aNNan kathakaLi aaduvArnu keLvi pattirukkEn. I havent seen much of Anwar. Fans manam puNpattirundhAl mannikkavum. Revised write-up koduthIngannA edit paNNidarEn.

Kalyasi
11th March 2010, 01:06 PM
Candidate #8

He is the only player to hit 3 consecutive 100s in ODIs. Innum yaarum break pannala. And he was leading the race to most centuries in ODI then. Sachin overtook him easily.

Sachin overtook Desmond Haynes in Singer Cup Final against SRL...

After that it has been Sachin all the way!!

littlemaster1982
11th March 2010, 01:10 PM
Yes Kalyasi. When Sachin was stuck at 12 100's for almost an year(1997-98 season), it was widely expected that Anwar would broke Haynes' record. Anwar's tally was 15 hundreds then.

Sachin came back to form in 1998 and after he hit the 13th century against Aus in Kanpur, he just went on scoring 100s, leaving Saeed Anwar far behind.

Kalyasi
11th March 2010, 01:13 PM
Yes Kalyasi. When Sachin was stuck at 12 100's for almost an year(1997-98 season), it was widely expected that Anwar would broke Haynes' record. Anwar's tally was 15 hundreds then.

Sachin came back to form in 1998 and after he hit the 13th century against Aus in Kanpur, he just went on scoring 100s, leaving Saeed Anwar far behind.

oh ok..

btw Zaheer Abbas was to first to score 3 consecutive ODI centuries and Gibbs was the latest to do it...

littlemaster1982
11th March 2010, 01:16 PM

oh ok..

btw Zaheer Abbas was to first to score 3 consecutive ODI centuries and Gibbs was the latest to do it...

Are you sure about ZA? I distinctly remember this reading in Sportstar. Gibbs adichadhu theriyaadhu :oops:

Kalyasi
11th March 2010, 01:22 PM

oh ok..

Are you sure about ZA? I distinctly remember this reading in Sportstar. Gibbs adichadhu theriyaadhu :oops:

Yeah ZA got it against India(all the 3) in 1982.... and Gibbs did it in 2002 against Ken, Ind and Ban....
Anwar payyapulla did it against SRL in 1993 nu nenaikaren... therila..

littlemaster1982
11th March 2010, 01:26 PM
Anwar did this against WI and India in Sharjah. :ty: for the info Kalyasi.

Kalyasi
11th March 2010, 01:30 PM
Anwar did this against WI and India in Sharjah. :ty: for the info Kalyasi.

Ellathulayum India vanthuruchu na India ku avamaanam.. so stats corrected... Anwar did it against SRL, WI and SRL

30/10/1993 SRL Sharjah Stadium c M Muralitharan b A Ranatunga 107
40 1/11/1993 WIN Sharjah Stadium c B Lara b C Hooper 131
41 2/11/1993 SRL Sharjah Stadium c R Mahanama b D Liyanage 111

P_R
11th March 2010, 01:33 PM
Ranatunga bowling pOtta naatkaL :lol2:

littlemaster1982
11th March 2010, 01:33 PM
Database bayangara damage-la irukku :oops: Thanks again, Kalyan :D

P_R
11th March 2010, 01:35 PM
Anyway, the condest is between Jayasuriya and Gilchrist. The others won't make the cut. What say ?

littlemaster1982
11th March 2010, 01:38 PM
Amaam. Gilly-kkudhan en vote :yes:

Kalyasi
11th March 2010, 01:41 PM
Yeah my vote is also for Gilly!!

yevan ya athu Chris Gayle ku oru vote pottathu?

Plum
11th March 2010, 01:46 PM
Anyway, the condest is between Jayasuriya and Gilchrist. The others won't make the cut. What say ?

adhu critics' choice. Popular vote-la Dada dhAn leading!

P_R
11th March 2010, 01:47 PM
I am Jayasurya.

Gilli wicketkeeper. But Jayasuriya the besht opening partner, destroyer of equal force and has more things up his sleeve as a batsman. Not to mention bowling.

Gilli can do the same slogging elsewhere too.

P_R
11th March 2010, 01:49 PM

adhu critics' choice. Popular vote-la Dada dhAn leading!
India-na Dada okay.
But waeld-numbOdhu, neenga sonna maadhiri manasula dhaan idam thara mudiyum.

Kalyasi
11th March 2010, 01:51 PM
infact 1997 la independance cup la Anwar 194 adikum pothu Sachin um NZL oda 117 adichu rendu peroda tally um 12 la irunthathu... athukku apparom thaan Sachin ku muthugu elumbu problem ellam vanthathu... appo intha anwar payyan lead la poirupaan nu nenaikaren....

Kalyasi
11th March 2010, 01:52 PM
I am Jayasurya.

Gilli wicketkeeper. But Jayasuriya the besht opening partner, destroyer of equal force and has more things up his sleeve as a batsman. Not to mention bowling.

Appo Dhoni??

P_R
11th March 2010, 01:54 PM
I am Jayasurya.

Appo Dhoni??

idhellAm vENmnu en vaayai kiLarradhukkaagavE kEkkureenga.
adhu dhaan nadakkadhu :lol2:

Kalyasi
11th March 2010, 01:56 PM
Gilly kum 4 vote... :redjump:

littlemaster1982
11th March 2010, 01:57 PM
infact 1997 la independance cup la Anwar 194 adikum pothu Sachin um NZL oda 117 adichu rendu peroda tally um 12 la irunthathu... athukku apparom thaan Sachin ku muthugu elumbu problem ellam vanthathu... appo intha anwar payyan lead la poirupaan nu nenaikaren....

It was not because of Sachin's back injury. He was out of form for quite a long period (captaincy issues). Andha gap-la dhan Anwar hit 3 more centuries.

Kalyasi
11th March 2010, 02:01 PM

It was not because of Sachin's back injury. He was out of form for quite a long period (captaincy issues). Andha gap-la dhan Anwar hit 3 more centuries.

oh ok ok back problem was serious in 1999 a? sariya gnyabagam illa.. infact he was out of action number of times during that period... he even stopped coming down the track to spinners and lofting them over the top...very baed memory...

littlemaster1982
11th March 2010, 02:06 PM

oh ok ok back problem was serious in 1999 a? sariya gnyabagam illa.. infact he was out of action number of times during that period... he even stopped coming down the track to spinners and lofting them over the top...very baed memory...

Sachin's first sign of serious injury was during that immortal innings of 136. I haven't seen him even cramping before. He made changes to his batting style only after that.

satissh_r
11th March 2010, 02:36 PM
Hello All!

New to this forum. I voted for J'surya just bcoz i wanted to have both him and Gilly in the team.

Kalyasi
11th March 2010, 02:38 PM
Welcome to Hub satissh_r

Plum
11th March 2010, 02:46 PM
It's tight now - suryar, vijay(gilli) and captain(dada) all 4 votes
Who will win the coveted spot?
Tomorrow we'll know!

satissh_r
11th March 2010, 02:50 PM
Welcome to Hub satissh_r

Thank you. I'm not entirely new to the hub, just new to the cricket forum :)

19thmay
11th March 2010, 02:52 PM
Tomorrow we'll know!

Tie aachuna enna panradhu?

Plum
11th March 2010, 02:58 PM
Tomorrow we'll know!

Auuuuu...

But innum ennoda vote bAkki irukku so tie irundhA naan vote podarEn. Otherwise, I'll abstain.

sathya_1979
11th March 2010, 02:58 PM
kaLLa vottu undaa :roll:

Plum
11th March 2010, 03:00 PM
ungaLukku innoru id irundhA nInga kaLLa vote pOdalAm. But CEO NOV adhai kandupidichu ban paNNiduvAr!

P_R
11th March 2010, 03:12 PM
Tomorrow we'll know!

To use B(K)'s expression attatayathula bat paNNa vENdiyadhu dhaan.

Aalavanthan
11th March 2010, 03:13 PM
Surya nu paeru irukardhaala neraiya paeru naan Jayasuriyava en teamla setthirupaennu nenaichirupeenga.. but I thought he is one heck of a killer when it comes to pace bowling.. I just want to maintain the same and recognized (IPL) pair as in my hub team.. So here goes my vote for Suryar !

Plum
11th March 2010, 03:19 PM
Surya leading Ghilli - Urgent Summons to Vijay fans :-)

Kalyasi
11th March 2010, 03:46 PM
Yov Maddy vanthu vote kuthittu poya!!

Aalavanthan
11th March 2010, 03:47 PM
Yov Maddy vanthu vote kuthittu poya!!

even I wanted to reply back with "Maddy" in my post.. but Plum has rightly mentioned only Vijay fans, as it is a fight between Surya and Ghilli (Vijay padam) ..

vadivelu to camera (on Parthiban).. kadavule.. indha aala purinjika thani moolaiya enaku kodu

Ramakrishna
11th March 2010, 08:11 PM
Orey thread-a ipdi branch branch-a pirichu discuss panna aarambichitteenglaa.

Plum
11th March 2010, 09:08 PM
engaLukku vEru kiLaigaL(tharpozhudhu) illai :-)

ajithfederer
11th March 2010, 09:52 PM
Gilly - Jayasurya and ganguly 5 votes. Waeld 11 ae indian 11 aakiuvaanga pola irukku. As i said in the thread earlier there can be only two combinations for a world x1. Gilly scores above because he is an aggressive hitter. He is the best wicket keeper in the business. Extremely agile and brings about fluidity to add more options to the team.

Jayasurya like gilly is an expensive blaster. On his day he scores big 100's and fast 50's. Handly left arm spinner and a very good fielder. And both the batsmen are known to run very quick between the wickets.

Ambuttudhaen.

sathya_1979
11th March 2010, 09:58 PM
AF, why the taking town bus when u have bye-pass rider ya? :lol:

ajithfederer
11th March 2010, 10:26 PM
eh??

19thmay
12th March 2010, 03:00 PM
Surya is leading! 8-)

Kalyasi
12th March 2010, 03:17 PM
Surya is leading! 8-)

MI supporters velaya irukum... :twisted:

Bala (Karthik)
12th March 2010, 03:19 PM
Surya is leading! 8-)

MI supporters velaya irukum... :twisted:
Adhaane!

littlemaster1982
12th March 2010, 03:20 PM
Shu, naan Gilly-kkudhan vote pannen :twisted:

Plum
12th March 2010, 03:21 PM
good, ennOda casting voteku avasiyam varAma irundhA sari.

Plum
18th March 2010, 06:55 PM
Mr 19th May, indha thread-ai puRakaNithu, straight drive veLayAdi, nInga sAdhichadhenna?

Anyway, deadline for the poll is well and truly past, and his real-life IPL partner Sanath Jayasurya wins the honours to partner GOD in the HUB one day team.
This thread can now be locked.
#3 thread-ai revive pandrEn

Plum
18th March 2010, 07:53 PM
Feeyaar, oru Jayasurya photo enable paNNittu lock paNNidunga indha thread-ai.
Or maybe we can do it in the first page of 19th May's Main Thread

19thmay
26th October 2010, 06:19 PM
Actually this was the thread.

Jayasurya is the winner.

sathya_1979
26th October 2010, 06:20 PM
No:3 - BC Lara!

19thmay
26th October 2010, 06:33 PM
P_R please lock this thread.

Puliyan_Biryani
26th October 2010, 07:02 PM
49 O. eppadiyum Gilly-ku poda vidaama lock pannitteenga :argh:.

//eppudi, lock panradhukku munnaadi edhirppu therivichomla :cool:.//

Plum
26th October 2010, 07:54 PM
Allov, therthal nadathinappo kANAma pOyittu ippO polambinA enna payan.
I had kept that poll open with clear deadlines. Last day annikku jayasuriyarukku rendu vote extra vizhundhu jeyichuttAr. Poll vekkarachaiyE auto-deadline vechurndhomla.

Bala (Karthik)
26th October 2010, 07:59 PM
Visaranai commission vekkanum. Al Seshan ku theriyappaduthanum. Something wong

P_R
26th October 2010, 08:01 PM
யாருக்கு வோட்டினேன்னு ஞாபகமே இல்லை. ஐதிங் வயோதிகசிங்கம் வெற்றிப்பரிதியார்க்குன்னு நினைக்கிறேன்

Plum
26th October 2010, 08:02 PM
Allov ungalukku pudikkadha result vandhaa poll-la oozhalaa?

Naane gilly-ku dhaan vote potten but thothuttaR enna seyya?

Puliyan_Biryani
26th October 2010, 08:16 PM
Allov, therthal nadathinappo kANAma pOyittu ippO polambinA enna payan.
I had kept that poll open with clear deadlines. Last day annikku jayasuriyarukku rendu vote extra vizhundhu jeyichuttAr. Poll vekkarachaiyE auto-deadline vechurndhomla.
therthal nadandhappo naan hub-laye illai :oops:.

ellaa kottaiyum azhinga (P_R). Gilly-ku sila pala vote vizha vendi irukku (kalla vote-avadhu poduvomla).

Plum
26th October 2010, 08:28 PM
Yov poi mohallerundhu paarungayya. 10 candidateskum linklaam pottu writeuplaam ezhudhi, sirikkavum sindhikkavum vekkaraa maadhiri posts ellaam pottu oruthan entertainingA poll nadathi irukken(idhula gillykku openA canvas vEra paNNi irukken) - coolA therthalla oozhalngaringa?

Rulesna rules dhaan.
19, No re election. Idhukku oputhukittA aatathai thodarvom. Illainaa sangathai kalaichudunga. Office worklaam vututtu oru vaaram thread nadathi poll nadathi irukken - oru respeet venaam? Oru mariyaadhai venaam? :evil:

Plum
26th October 2010, 08:30 PM
Nathan AstlekellAm write-up ezhudhi irukkEnyA? TempovellAm vechu kadaththi irukkom. No compromise

19thmay
26th October 2010, 09:55 PM
aamaaa aamaaa...case closed! surya thaan winner... 8-)

Ghilli lovers, engala thittadheenga, Dada fans-a thittunga :lol2:

ajithfederer
28th October 2010, 01:08 AM
Adam Gilchrist is the best opening partner for Tendulkar or for that matter any world XI.

As much as he is aggressive he is quite consistent too. He was the same deadly batsman all throughout his career. Big match player (Ex: WC 1999 Final and Jeez, he still belted a century in wc final 2007). He is the role-model for any wk batsman(s) to come. Every cricketing country wants a guy like him in their line up. That he made it to the Cricinfo waeld Test XI only makes a stronger case for himself.

Along with a more consolidating player like Tendulkar he can free flow his arms and hit right through. Jayasurya to put it mildly was only a shadow of himself. He was waning in his last legs and heck he wasn't a proper starter for the Srilankan XI and even MI in IPL in his last years as a ODI player.

Glove work: Impeccable. The best that was there. I mean he kept to Warne and Mcgrath. Keeping Tendulkar and Gilchrist opens up our batting options until the 7th position. We can have a consolidator like Lara to come at 3rd and Aravinda/Inzy at 4th.

P.S: Can PR, merge this thread (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=14053&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0) into the main thread (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=14045) once the poll and discussion of particular batting position are dealt with. It is becoming cumbersome to track every thread for ODI Team.