P_R
23rd February 2010, 11:28 AM
So far I've seen

Some Like it Hot - which was kinda mildly amusing
Sunset Boulevard - which was kinda mildly bland

groucho070
23rd February 2010, 11:55 AM
gnan nookkiyathil:

Double Indemnity: Superawesome. The one where Chandler, working with Wilder on the script, asked Billy to stop waving the damned "monkey stick". :lol:

Some Like it hot: Brilliant. "Nobody's perfect" :lol:

The Apartment: Lemon + Maclaine = super chemistry.

Irma La Douce: A bit silly...but Lemon + Maclaine again shows what a wonderful comedic pair they are.

Sabrina: Etho Bogart, hepburn & Holden-kaaga parkalam. Particularly Bogey playing suave business man.

Sunset Boulevard - wrote about extensively elsewhere. Masterpiece.

ajithfederer
23rd February 2010, 11:56 AM
Is Double Indemnity (1944) his film?. Remba naala paakanumtu iruken.

salaam_chennai
23rd February 2010, 11:59 AM
So far i have seen,

The Apartment - Very Good
Some Like It Hot - Very Good
Witness for the Prosecution - Very good, a must-watch movie
The Seven Year Itch - very good.
Stalag 17 - very good, must-watch movie
Sunset Blvd. - ok movie. didnt like it much.
The Lost Weekend - started of well, but was dragging towards the end
Double Indemnity - good.

ajithfederer
23rd February 2010, 12:00 PM
Dig..
s_c

Coimbatore la enga neenga irukinga?

End dig,,,

groucho070
23rd February 2010, 12:00 PM
Yes, Stanley. Awesome film. Some say it's better than the original book by James M. Cain. Chandler, when adapting it with Wilder, didn't like the book at all, he said everything Cain touched, "smelled of Billy goat" :lol:

Superb dialogues are some of Wilder's strength, and here coupled with Chandler who is known for wonderful dialogues in his own book, you get magic. Oru saambil:

Phyllis: Mr. Neff, why don't you drop by tomorrow evening about eight-thirty. He'll be in then.
Walter Neff: Who?
Phyllis: My husband. You were anxious to talk to him weren't you?
Walter Neff: Yeah, I was, but I'm sort of getting over the idea, if you know what I mean.
Phyllis: There's a speed limit in this state, Mr. Neff. Forty-five miles an hour.
Walter Neff: How fast was I going, officer?
Phyllis: I'd say around ninety.
Walter Neff: Suppose you get down off your motorcycle and give me a ticket.
Phyllis: Suppose I let you off with a warning this time.
Walter Neff: Suppose it doesn't take.
Phyllis: Suppose I have to whack you over the knuckles.
Walter Neff: Suppose I bust out crying and put my head on your shoulder.
Phyllis: Suppose you try putting it on my husband's shoulder.
Walter Neff: That tears it.
:lol:

groucho070
23rd February 2010, 12:02 PM
The Seven Year Itch - very good. How could I have missed this :shock: Yes, it's great. Holden's finest moments.

salaam_chennai
23rd February 2010, 12:04 PM
Dig..
s_c

Coimbatore la enga neenga irukinga?

End dig,,,
af,
Singanallur. But, now i am in hyderabad

ajithfederer
23rd February 2010, 12:08 PM
Oh Seven year Itch-u ivarudhu dhaana. Highly recommended to Annan Thirumaran. That was a jolly good film. Is that the film which kick started the dumb blonde character in Hollywood?. Marilyn Monroe was :cool2: and no wonder the former President fell for it :slurp:.

s_c : thanks.

salaam_chennai
23rd February 2010, 12:08 PM
The Seven Year Itch - very good. How could I have missed this :shock: Yes, it's great. Holden's finest moments.
add this too. How could u have missed Marilyn Manroe. She looked awesome in that movie

groucho070
23rd February 2010, 12:26 PM
Haven't seen that one, SC. Would get to that soon.

equanimus
23rd February 2010, 02:26 PM
I haven't seen this one, actually. Thought Holden was peer gold in Stalag 17. Will add this to my TODO list.

kid-glove
23rd February 2010, 04:28 PM
I haven't seen this one, actually. Thought Holden was peer gold in Stalag 17. Will add this to my TODO list.

:confused2:

Holden didn't act in "Seven year Itch". Grouchs should be talking about "Stalag 17".

Btw, I'd have to pitch in about "The Seven year itch". The film and especially Monroe's iconic skirt-flying pose, was paid homage, along with other 50's icons, in Jack Rabbit Slim's (Pulp fiction).

Bala (Karthik)
23rd February 2010, 11:53 PM
Watched and loved Sunset Boulevard, The Apartment and Stalag 17

kid-glove
24th February 2010, 01:01 AM
The Apartment is a film that I go back to, quite often.

Especially after the current appraisal season, I wanted to watch the film and laugh about.

I hope to say, "I've decided to become a "mensch". You know what that means? A human being" one day. Straight to face.

sathya_1979
24th February 2010, 02:40 AM

Especially after the current appraisal season, I wanted to watch the film and laugh about.

I hope to say, "I've decided to become a "mensch". You know what that means? A human being" one day. Straight to face.
U too?

sathya_1979
24th February 2010, 02:40 AM

U too?

groucho070
24th February 2010, 07:13 AM

Holden didn't act in "Seven year Itch". Grouchs should be talking about "Stalag 17".Illa, I highlighted the wrong one, yeah it's Stalag 17, a film that I might not revisit soon because of my wife's allergy to prison scenes :P Ithanaale pala padanggal rejetted for revisiting.

kid-glove
24th February 2010, 01:38 PM

U too?

:)

kid-glove
24th February 2010, 01:41 PM

Holden didn't act in "Seven year Itch". Grouchs should be talking about "Stalag 17".Illa, I highlighted the wrong one, yeah it's Stalag 17, a film that I might not revisit soon because of my wife's allergy to prison scenes :P Ithanaale pala padanggal rejetted for revisiting.

Btw, I agree with you guys on Holden. That's nothing much to add anyway. :)

kid-glove
24th February 2010, 01:43 PM
About Billy Wilder, he didn't know a word of English when he first arrived to the States. :notworthy: