PDA

View Full Version : MAESTRO ILAIYARAAJA NEWS & TITBITS VER.2010

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

Sureshs65
9th April 2010, 08:58 AM
/Digression
Venki,

It was not a gratuitous comparison. It was made in the context of the question that was asked. I personally hold that view and I stated it here. My idea is not to get into a debate on that, since that would be irrelevant to this thread. Anyway, you have your opinion and I have mine and let us leave it at that. My only aim was to say that Sivaraman richly deserved the recognition he got.

/End Digression

Fliflo
10th April 2010, 07:43 AM
Here is the great picture came in The Hindu

http://beta.thehindu.com/news/national/article391220.ece?homepage=true

AravindMano
10th April 2010, 11:42 AM
[tscii:2bf1a6e44d]Mamta Mohandas, the lead actor of Sathyan Anthikad's next film writes in her first tweet,

Watching the legend Ilayaraja at work once again… for my movie Kadha Thudarunnu brought tears to my eyes.

The account is not a verified one though.[/tscii:2bf1a6e44d]

rajasaranam
10th April 2010, 05:10 PM
the film looks interesting though! A quick glance through the images gives us a rough idea of the plot that sathyan is handling this time :)
http://www.nowrunning.com/movie/7410/malayalam/katha-thudarum/gallery.htm#1
Hopes are high as Raaja would definitely deliver some beautifully crafted melancholic music for such plots :thumbsup:

app_engine
10th April 2010, 09:51 PM
http://www.desipundit.com/baradwajrangan/2010/04/10/bitty-ruminations-8/

Baradwaj Rangan and IR's synth - some nice analogies :-)

raghavendran
11th April 2010, 12:07 PM

Baradwaj Rangan and IR's synth - some nice analogies :-) 8-)

Bala (Karthik)
11th April 2010, 12:52 PM
And the world still believes BR is a Raaja fan! This hurts more than some 100 word post because its from BR :(

Baradwaj Rangan and IR's synth - some nice analogies :-)

Sureshs65
12th April 2010, 12:17 AM
Bala,

Long time back I gave up on BR as far as music goes !!! There are some people (you can see them in the comments section as well) who have decided that Raja has lost it and no amount of proof otherwise nor the superb output of last year would convince them. The particular debate taking place in BR blog has happened here ad nauseam we are fully aware of the various viewpoints. Infact some time back Jai had a good post about people accusing Raja for having lost it in the 90s but not having a clue on how a person who has lost it can come up with 'Kalapani', 'Oru Yathra Mozhi', 'Guru', 'Avatharam', 'Virumandi', 'Mumbai Express' etc. I am sure this debate will continue for a long time. There are bound to be one set of people saying that Raja 'lost interest' after the 80s, some saying he did not know how to use the synth, one saying his creativity dried up etc. The best way is not to worry about this and drench ourself in the music he creates. Did someone compose a better song than 'kunnathe' last year?

As I said, lot of people seem to give more importance to BR than required, when it comes to music. I would be very worried if some very knowledgeable music blogger (like say Vicky) told me that they had problems with Raja's music. BR is a normal music fan and instead of posting in this forum, he has a popular blog. Other than that I don't think we need to take him or his views on music any more seriously than the knowledgeable members who post here.

Shank
12th April 2010, 04:41 AM
Suresh, not to defend BR or anything, I do think BR is a Raaja fan. He just idolises the 80s output of Raja and tends to view things from that standpoint. Each to his own. Besides, I don't think Raja needs any validation from anyone. Everyone changes with time, including us and composers such as Raja. When our listening has changed over the years, why shouldn't Raja change his compositional style?

I'm just happy that Raja is continuing to produce music...I could care less for what anyone else feels about it! :-)

Sureshs65
12th April 2010, 10:06 AM
Shank,

I have personally no issues if BR is a fan or not. (It is not necessary that someone needs to be a fan of Raja in order to talk about his output!!!) What I meant is exactly what you had said. That we should enjoy what Raja is producing now and not worry about what others feel :) All I wanted to point out is that BR is as good or as bad a listener as any one of us here and we need not give undue weight to his views, even though the views appear in a popular blog!!!

kiru
12th April 2010, 02:24 PM
Suresh, to some extent I agree with BR on the synth usage. But I think his concepts on orchestration is not in tune with the thinking here in tfmpage.
When IR entered the field, he aggressively mixed WCM with ICM and created a novelty and impact. Over a period of time, the techniques have become very sophisticated and songs were very specialized and "narrowly focussed". For eg. I think the songs he did for Mohan movies in a phase were very good examples of carnatic pop/fusion - melody with chords/bass guitar. BR correctly observes Hey Ram, Guru are the real examples or orchestration. I cannot digest his example of an orchestration - azhagu ayiram from ullaasa paravaigal. I like the song to my death..but that is not my definition of orchestration. Some posters there (like ramesh) seem to want IR to do songs in a certain way. How can he do that when he has set himself up to do songs for ever and ever.. for eg. ninnai charanadainthEn..is a straight indian music (I did not hear any chords or bass in my laptop speakers). But there are almost classic raagam oozing songs with chords/bass line etc. some with string counterpoints/harmony..
I like it all, if the musical idea is good and it touches that corner of heart..(yeah..how do you define music ? stream of notes which make an emotional impact right ? no emotion no music..just noise).

Sureshs65
12th April 2010, 04:12 PM
kiru,

I do know there are many people here whose ideas of Raja's synth usage resonate with BR. No doubt about that and I think we have all accepted the fact that there are quite a few songs where the usage of synth has probably robbed us of some great execution by the live orchestra. About this too I have no doubts and this is what BR is also saying.

I fully agree with what you say regarding orchestration. The sophistication has definitely increased and the orchestration has become more lush and as you say, sometimes, 'narrowly focussed'. All the elements mentioned by BR, that of instruments joining in a for brief while and lot of color added by each instrument and yet the whole remaining very unified, you can hear all this in 'kothumbi' song from 'Tiruvasagam'. But note how the whole thing has now become very much more sophisticated. The same applies to the orchestration of 'Guru'.

As I said many of us are not great fans of Raja' synth but the difference is, as you note, if the musical idea is good and touches you, you are more than willing to love that song, irrespective of the synth. The problem with lot of people is that they have rubber stamped Raja as someone who cannot use synth, someone who has 'lost his imagination' etc that they are unwilling to listen carefully to what Raja is doing. If you note BR's post, there is no mention of 'Pazhassi Raja' at all. The only mention is about 'adi thirathannil'. I can't understand what is wrong with the three lovely songs of 'Jaganmohini', all of them synth based, the melodies in 'Valmiki', songs like 'chinna polike' and 'edaya bagile'. Even in disaster movies like 'Kannukulle' and 'Madhiya Chennai' there were a few songs which were top class with lot of synth arrangements. I am not saying he has used synth in the same sort of audience pleasing way that Rahman, Harris or YSR have done but if you are willing to listen to the songs I mentioned, you will hear musical ideas far superior to others.

The problem I have with many of the people like BR or Karthik of Milliblog, is that they think it is a sort of fashion to talk about world influences, recording techniques etc and Raja does not fit into this area. Hence the music of Raja post 80s doesn't appeal to them irrespective of the musical ideas and you can see them going ga ga over a lot of inferior music and music directors . I guess they all want to maintain themselves as people who are 'contemporary' and Raja is not the fashion of today. Therein lies the problem.

Plum
12th April 2010, 04:17 PM
Suresh, Baradwaj is different from Karthik of milliblog. I dont think his lack of appreciation has to do with world music etc
He is a fine music critic. I dont agree with him on many things but he does have a clear perspective, and does articulate it quite well, if you follow him closely.
I am expecting him to elaborate further in future columns which will give us a better picture of where he stands

EDIT: In his comments, Baradwaj has elaborated, which is close to what I thought his view point is.

Sureshs65
12th April 2010, 04:37 PM
Plum,

I will agree with you that Baradwaj is different from Karthik, in the sense that he articulates better and more elaborately. (Though sometimes too elaborately for my taste :) ) What I was comparing was the need for both of them to be 'cntemporary' so much so that an outstanding work like 'Pazhassi Raja' is grudgingly acknowledged as being OK by Karthik and Baradwaj says that 'PazhassiRaja' may be a good idea but the execution is not upto mark!!! So my conclusion is that when it comes to Raja they both wear some sort of 'modern' or 'contemporary' glasses through which his music gets filtered!! My comparison was only regarding this aspect. Otherwise, I have no issues with your statement that Baradwaj is far different from Karthik. It is just that I find him a far better critic of movies than of music.

Plum
12th April 2010, 05:21 PM
Oh it is the other way around for me and someone like B(K). Music reviews over movie reviews of his.
Also, if you notice, he is not very appreciative of early Rahman(not that that's a badge or something but that indicates that he is not into trend-following). So, he definitely has a clear pattern to his likes and a very clear reason for not liking 90's Raja much,w hich he consistently applies to early Rahman as well. I mean, application of standards is equitable there. Even for me, later Rahman (from around the time of Swades and KKS) appeals to me more than the earlier one.

What I mean is I think he definitely isnt a wannabe and has a very well-defined taste, which he is well self-aware of, and I think he is quite balanced in his music reviews. Yeah, the views on pazhassi raja etc differ, but that I can live with. I wouldnt reduce his status as a music critic just for that sake.

Shank
12th April 2010, 05:44 PM
Plum & Suresh, I can vouch that BR not a trend follower. I would even put him in the HCIRF group. Just that he has different views about IR's latter day output..and that is fine. We frequently discuss music and I know his viewpoints quite well. People have different views that doesn't have to agree with ours. Let it be...:-)

Sureshs65
12th April 2010, 05:46 PM
Plum,

What confuses me is that the supposed 'complexity' of later Rahman is praised but equal or more complexity in Raja's post 90s music is at most acknowledged but not given due respect!!! I don't have a problem with respect to him liking and analyzing Rahman. My problem is that even when something as outstanding as 'Pazhassi Raja' comes up, it is quite perturbing to see a critic write that 'it doesn't work for me'. What I mean is that a good critic has to point out the musical qualities beyond the external factors like recording techniques etc. In that way, any good music critic would have asked listeners to listen to 'Pazhassi Raja' and pointing out to the music ideas hidden there. In that way, I do not consider him a good music critic, because beyond the nice way he writes there is nothing in his writing which gives me a deeper understanding of the music. The English is good but beyond that there isn't much. As I said, I personally feel many in this forum itself are as 'musical' as Baradwaj and their understanding is equally good, if not better. So personally I don't hold Baradwaj, the music critic, too high in my esteem. He is as good or bad as any of us.

Shank
12th April 2010, 05:48 PM
And the Pazhassi Raja conversation with BR was about the second interlude of "Odanthanil..." :-)

Sureshs65
12th April 2010, 05:53 PM
Shank,

I have absolutely no issues at all with people having different views and I fully accept Baradwaj as well as other people's views with respect to Raja's output. And again, I don't have a problem of someone being a HCIRF or not. What I am trying to say is that Baradwaj's views, to me, are as good as your views or Plum's views on music. I find your writing about Raja's songs quite illuminating (especially the way you describe how Raja bridges the pallavi and charanam, I think you call it 'stanza transitions'.) as well as Plum's views on some of Raja's songs, which have a nice emotional content. Something which I don't get from Baradwaj's writing. (Maybe he never did write much in those lines.)

So what I was trying to tell Bala (K) is that we need not overtly worry about Baradwaj's view. It is one more point of view and not something very special!! I guess you will agree with that :)

Plum
12th April 2010, 05:54 PM
Fine Suresh.
Shank, i am also trying to defend BR here :)

The thing is his views are coming in as comments on posts. I think shank should ask him to elaborate more in a post on "yeah, i like the ideas but not the execution part". I have a fair guess of what exactly he means there.

Shank
12th April 2010, 06:06 PM
Suresh, absolutely, we shouldn't be worrying about BR's views..they are just that...his views! But I can tell you first hand that he is passionate about Raja's music...that's all I was saying. And you are right, he hasn't written indepth from an emotional context about Raja's music yet...maybe he will write about it when talks about BGMs which he has promised to do.

Plum, I'm not really trying to defend BR..just that I have a little more perspective having known him personally. We don't always agree but that's okay. :-) You should see the number of times I have been telling him to do a seperate piece on Raja's BGMs etc...this new column that he has begun (freed from the responsibility of writing for the newspaper) might give him the freedom to do so...

Bala (Karthik)
12th April 2010, 07:57 PM
What I mean is I think he definitely isnt a wannabe and has a very well-defined taste, which he is well self-aware of, and I think he is quite balanced in his music reviews. Yeah, the views on pazhassi raja etc differ, but that I can live with. I wouldnt reduce his status as a music critic just for that sake.
:exactly: hence the varutham - ivangale ippadi sweeping-a pesalaama-nu. He has just brushed aside the CKs, Hey Rams and Gurus.
Sethu, Pithamagan, Bharathi, Kaasi, Viruman, Valmiki, PR, Naan Kadavul!!? And Mumbai Express, Mudi Mudi fall into the category of his recent "neo-synth" stage?? NO WAY!

I share his views (Violin Vicky too, as he had written in his blog) on the issues he has with Raaja's post-90s output but the conclusion he draws was a bit too much to digest for me.
The very fact that he didn't even elaborate or care to talk about post 90s works he likes was disappointing. He wrote a very similar piece on Kamal. Very cursory and 'lazy' i would say. And he is labelled as this hardcore Raaja fan, which baffles me.
Well, yes, one needn't worry about what critics say, whatever their stature is. Just felt like registering my disappointment here

P.S: Idhayellam naan anga post pannanum, inga pesitrukken :oops:

Sureshs65
12th April 2010, 08:07 PM
Shank and Plum,

It is very much possible that my reading of Baradwaj is wrong in terms of thinking he is a trend follower. I don't follow his blog as much as you guys do and so I may be mistaken. That was the impression I got because generally he is very dismissive of post 90s Raja, as Bala has pointed out. Hence my conclusion. As I said, I could be mistaken in my assessment.

I guess the problem is also with me :) I tend to see or shall we say hear, through the lens of Raja. I constantly demand the same level of complexity, the great musical ideas, the orchestration, in depth understanding of the musical idiom, the emotional content that Raja brings in from all composers. Honestly everyone, including the later day Rahman, fall short. Believe me, I do listen to other music directors with the same sincerity with which I listen to Raja but somehow no one makes as consistent an impact as Raja does, synth or no synth, 80s, 90s or 2000s. So whenever someone speaks glowing about a new composer or some new song and I go listen to it and end up wondering, 'what is all this fuss about'? Maybe without my own knowing Raja's music has prejudiced me or maybe Raja is such a watermark that others can't reach that level easily, leave along consistently.

rprasad
13th April 2010, 12:20 AM
Suresh, I fully agree with you and feel exactly the same way about Raja's music. I too listen to other MD's songs with an open mind and do appreciate the good compositions that are out there. But as you said none has impacted me to the level consistently as Raja has. There is always something missing when i listen to the other MD's songs, something which connects you emotionally to the song and lingers in your mind for ever. This is what Raja's songs do. Ofcourse the brilliant orchestration and complexity is all there as well when you dig deeper. I believe his compositions have the soulfulness of an instinctive composer as well as the complexities of a composer who sits hours together in front of a computer and keyboard and comes up with a tune(which is what most of the modern MD"s do i think). People complain about the speed of IR and how this results in some not so good songs coming out as well, but this instictiveness is what results in his songs having that emotional connect and soul which makes it an all time classic. Just my opinion. Due respect noted to all the other composers.

kiru
14th April 2010, 02:03 PM
..I believe his compositions have the soulfulness of an instinctive composer as well as the complexities of a composer who sits hours together in front of a computer and keyboard and comes up with a tune(which is what most of the modern MD"s do i think). .
I think he has more complexities than composers who sit hours together in front of his computer.. It is mainly "music by design"..only the first few lines are "pulled out of thin air" and played experimentally on the harmonium the rest is all written up. First the main melody is laid and then the harmony/chords are written. He explains it in the TIS DVD. Others are probably going by the sound..whereas IR is probably going just by the notes ..it is almost mathematical. Kamal called him swara vignani ..he has a point. IR seems to have an insight into what swaras can sit next to each other and or at the same time.. A beautiful mind indeed !!

Sureshs65
14th April 2010, 02:50 PM
I think he has more complexities than composers who sit hours together in front of his computer.. .

IR seems to have an insight into what swaras can sit next to each other and or at the same time.. A beautiful mind indeed !!

:exactly: Fully and vehemently agree with you.

As he explains in an interview to Bhavatarini and the director of the movie, 'Mayilu', it takes someone who is completely immersed in music to find Hamsadhwani in Bach. And to find 'veetuku veetuku vasapadi venum' in Mozart. This is a mind which wants to find a common source for all melodies and looks beyond different musical genres. As kiru very rightly puts it, it is a 'vignani' who is at work here. In the very recent 'alamadangana' of 'Pazhassi Raja', you can see him start with a hard rock rhythm very reminiscent to Ledzepplin's 'Immigrant Song' and morphs that rhythm into a martial 'bhakthi' song!!! To do these things requires a composer to understand music beyond the common idiom. It will take quite a lot of time for us to decipher what Raja has done and of course, we also need to understand various musical forms in order to do that. That is why even the most knowledgeable to Raja fans feel that it will easily take a lifetime to understand fully what this man has done. As for guys like us, whose knowledge of various genres is not very high, there is no such hope :( And paradoxically, that makes us happy :)

K
14th April 2010, 03:03 PM
http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/news/2010/04/14-echo-company-md-anticipatory-bail-royalty.html

Anticipatory bail For ECHO MD

app_engine
15th April 2010, 10:34 PM
http://beta.thehindu.com/arts/music/article397943.ece

Girish Puthencheri homage ceremony (IR / KJY / Lal among many who took part in a music night)

joe
16th April 2010, 12:42 PM
If not posted here before ...

Asianet idea star singer -Tribute to Ilayaraja
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Idea+Star+Singer+Season+4+Swa ralayam+Ilayaraja+&aq=f

raj_musing
18th April 2010, 09:13 PM
KJY,Ilayaraja and ONV together for the 70th bthday celebration of Yesudas.You can listen to ilayaraja's speech here..:)

http://www.manoramaonline.com/advt/Specials/Metro/Yesudas_Ceremony/index.htm

app_engine
19th April 2010, 07:42 PM
http://www.smarttv.in/view/31187/sathyan-anthikad-i-always-ask-for-melodies-with-ilayaraja/

Anthikkad always enjoys talking about Raja :-)

Sureshs65
19th April 2010, 10:34 PM
app,

Thanks for the link. Hariharan in Malayalam? I guess he must have sung earlier but I guess this will be the first time he has sung for Raja in Malayalam. Sathyan says it will be a duet between Chitra and Hariharan. When Chitra and Raja are involved in a melody, you can rest assured and look forward to the song :D

app_engine
19th April 2010, 10:50 PM
Isn't HH a Palakkad-Bombay Thamizh? He should be able to handle Malayalam very well. Even if not, KSC will more than compensate for it.

I have no doubts, it's gonna be sweet!

Sureshs65
20th April 2010, 12:05 AM
Isn't HH a Palakkad-Bombay Thamizh?

I guess nobody knows what HH is, including himself :lol:

K
20th April 2010, 11:12 AM
http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/specials/2010/04/papanasathil-oru-nari-tamil-cinema-haricharan.html

Raja Composes For "Papanasathil oru nAri"

krish244
21st April 2010, 12:18 AM
[tscii:983d8ab123]Found this on the net. Could not have the time to read through it.

http://thequietus.com/articles/04122-finders-keepers-doug-shipton-andy-votel

A guy named Doug Shipton is working on a compilation of IR's songs.

"Something that I love is how these releases, and especially the compilations that hoover up songs from literally all over the word, disrupt the standard rock canon. The Sound of Wonder was Finders Keepers’ first foray into Lollywood- picture house pop music from Pakistan and recently there was Pomegranates which collated folk/ psyche and funk from Persia. Fit to burst with exciting, innovative and beautiful music, they’re equally rich in information, exquisitely designed and make a mockery of the UK/US axis of boredom.

DS: Well i think you can appreciate them on so many different levels - I’m working on a compilation of music by a Tamil film composer called Ilaiyaraaja who has released a lot of albums. And you can trace the lines - you can hear he has his ear half-cocked towards the west and drawing in all these influences from the 60s, 70s and 80s so it’s not that far removed..."

thanks,

Krishnan[/tscii:983d8ab123]

jaiganes
22nd April 2010, 04:08 AM
[tscii:bbed3a39f5]Found this on the net. Could not have the time to read through it.

http://thequietus.com/articles/04122-finders-keepers-doug-shipton-andy-votel

A guy named Doug Shipton is working on a compilation of IR's songs.

"Something that I love is how these releases, and especially the compilations that hoover up songs from literally all over the word, disrupt the standard rock canon. The Sound of Wonder was Finders Keepers’ first foray into Lollywood- picture house pop music from Pakistan and recently there was Pomegranates which collated folk/ psyche and funk from Persia. Fit to burst with exciting, innovative and beautiful music, they’re equally rich in information, exquisitely designed and make a mockery of the UK/US axis of boredom.

DS: Well i think you can appreciate them on so many different levels - I’m working on a compilation of music by a Tamil film composer called Ilaiyaraaja who has released a lot of albums. And you can trace the lines - you can hear he has his ear half-cocked towards the west and drawing in all these influences from the 60s, 70s and 80s so it’s not that far removed..."

thanks,

Krishnan[/tscii:bbed3a39f5]

Really coool!!!

naarayanan
22nd April 2010, 09:55 PM
A new community for raja has been started in orkut.

All big names like vicky, ravi natarajan, rajendra are part of the community and are regularly contributing there.

Raja fans can have a look at it

http://www.orkut.co.in/Main#Community?cmm=100197004

For visibility sake, i am creating a new thread with the same contents.

thanks.

Sanjeevi
22nd April 2010, 10:29 PM
seriously Orkut DF sucks

anyway nice discussions

app_engine
23rd April 2010, 08:04 PM
நாமெல்லாம் பொழுதுபோக்கா இங்க செய்யறத (ராசா-ரஹ்மான் ஒப்பீடு) இங்க ஒரு ஆள் தொழிலா செஞ்சுக்கிட்டு இருக்காரு பாருங்க :

http://tamilmurasu.com.sg/node/7632

இந்த லட்சணத்துல "இசை விமர்சகர்"னு அடைமொழி வேற, பயங்கரக்காமெடி!

raj_musing
23rd April 2010, 11:25 PM
Just to post an instance where MG Sreekumar was talking on Raja's creativity...Watch out for the section from 3.10 to 4.15 in the clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grAF1u8IF9M&feature=related

Sureshs65
24th April 2010, 12:19 AM
raj_musing,

Thanks for the link. I have been trying to get this from a long time.

eagle
26th April 2010, 02:02 AM
The respect they have for raaja is beyond description.. it comes from their heart.. the other day i was watching a telugu director talks about raaja.. the way he idolizes him is just a proof that what kind of a genius raaja is... sadly we dont see that kind in TFM arena...

app_engine
26th April 2010, 06:09 AM
Just to post an instance where MG Sreekumar was talking on Raja's creativity...Watch out for the section from 3.10 to 4.15 in the clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grAF1u8IF9M&feature=related

Just now saw this video - WOW!

Appreciations for IR apart, I'm stunned with the level of quality with which KSC rates the singer! "simbly" stunned - no wonder Kerala keeps producing so many excellent singers!

I haven't heard the full performance of that girl, but when she is singing short portions as asked by KSC, one can sense that she's much better than MOST current tfm singers and still KSC asks her to improve!

Way to go!

app_engine
26th April 2010, 06:28 AM
The KSC judging just made me wonder what if the singer had been the NA winning Bhavadharini and KSC is asked to comment :lol:

People who often harp about NA should see this video :wink:

jaiganes
26th April 2010, 06:48 AM
The KSC judging just made me wonder what if the singer had been the NA winning Bhavadharini and KSC is asked to comment :lol:

People who often harp about NA should see this video :wink:
in all fairness to bhavatharini, almost all her film songs for raaja - she must have been pizinjified to sing atleast one full take properly - unlike technology that puts together bits of separately sung portions by the same singer together as if it was one singer singing everything continuously and then 'wise' listeners praising that singer for 'breath control'.
Some of the stage singers i have seen are real good singers with very bad luck.
I recall a friend who actually sung 'mannil indha kaadhal' and 'kanmaniye kaadhal enbadhu' without loss of breath (or taking impercievable micro breaths) and with melodic feel intact. What we have now is the age of phony singers and gadget gurus posing as composers - a match made in hell for true connoisseurs.

kameshratnam
26th April 2010, 12:59 PM
யாரும் எளிதில் புரிந்து கொள்ளும் பாடல் திருவள்ளுவர்! - இளையராஜா
http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/art-culture/essays/2010/0426-ilayaraja-thirukural-poovai-senkuttuvan.html

சென்னை: படிக்கும்போதே புரிந்து கொள்ளும் அளவு எளிய செய்யுள் அமைப்பு திருக்குறள். அதற்கு தனியான விளக்கமெல்லாம் தேவையில்லை என்று கூறியுள்ளார் இசைஞானி இளையராஜா.

கவிஞர், திரைப்படாலாசிரியர் பூவை செங்குட்டுவன் எழுதி இசை அமைத்துள்ள 'குறள் தரும் பொருள்' ஆடியோ சிடியை ஞாயிற்றுக்கிழமை வெளியிட்டார் இளையராஜா. சென்னை ஆழ்வார்ப்பேட்டை நாரத கான சபாவில் இந்த விழா நடந்தது.

இளையராஜா பேசுகையில், "இரண்டாயிரம் ஆண்டுகளுக்கு முன்பு தோன்றிய திருக்குறளை, அனைத்து மக்களும் எளிதாகப் புரிந்து கொள்ளும் வகையில் இசை வடிவில் கொண்டு வத்தமைக்காக கவிஞர் பூவை செங்குட்டுவனுக்கு எனது பாராட்டுகளைத் தெரிவிக்கிறேன்.

1969-ம் ஆண்டு சென்னைக்கு வந்தேன். சங்கிலி முருகன் நாடகத்துக்கு இசையமைப்பாளராக இருந்தபோது 'நான் உங்கள் வீட்டு பிள்ளை...' என்ற பாடல் நல்ல வரவேற்பை பெற்றிருந்தது. அந்த பாடலை எழுதிய கவிஞர் செங்குட்டுவனை காண வேண்டும் என்ற ஆவல் எழுந்தது.

நான் முதன் முதலில் சினிமாவில் கவிஞர் செங்குட்டுவனின், 'ஊரும் பழனியப்பா, பெயரும் பழனியப்பா, ஆறுதலை வேண்டுகிறேன் ஆறுமுக சாமியப்பா' என்ற பாடலுக்கு தான் இசையமைத்தேன். அவர் எனது மூத்த சகோதரர் போன்றவர்.

திருக்குறள் உண்மையிலேயே மிக எளிய கட்டமைப்பு கொண்டது. படித்ததும் புரிந்து கொள்ளும் செய்யுள் வடிவம் அது" என்றார்.

கவிஞர் பூவை செங்குட்டுவன் பேசுகையில், "திருக்குறளுக்கு 400-க்கும் மேற்பட்டவர்கள் உரை எழுதியிருக்கிறார்கள். பெரும்பாலான உரைகளைப் படித்து, ஆனால் மு.வ. வின் விளக்கத்தை அடிப்படையாக வைத்து 8 மாதம் பாடல்களை எழுதினேன். இரண்டரை ஆண்டுகளாக முயன்று இசை வடிவாக மாற்றியுள்ளேன். சினிமாவில் குறைவான பாடல்களாக இருந்தாலும் நிறைவான பாடல்களை வழங்கிய மனநிறைவு உள்ளது.." என்றார்.

நடிகர் விவேக் பேசுகையில், "திருவாசகத்துக்கு உருகார், ஒரு வாசகத்தும் உருகார்' என்பர். அந்தத் திருவாசகத்தை இசை வடிவில் மக்களிடம் சேர்த்தவர் இளையராஜா அந்த வகையில் குறள் தரும் பொருளும் வெற்றி பெறும். 133 அதிகாரத்தில் உலகை அடக்கியவர் திருவள்ளுவர் ஆகையால் தான் சமயம், இனம், மொழி அனைத்தையும் கடந்து உலகப் பொதுமறையாக உள்ளது. இன்றைய இளைய தலைமுறையினர் பல மணி நேரம் வீடியோ கேம், கம்ப்யூட்டர், லேப்டாப் என்று மாறிவிட்டதால், ஒரு குறளையாவது டைப் செய்தால் தான் அவை இயங்கும் என்ற நிலை வந்தால் எளிதில் திருக்குறள் அவர்களை சென்றடையும்' என்றார்.

இவ்விழாவில் திரைப்பட தயாரிப்பாளர் ஏ.எல்.அழகப்பன், எஸ் வி சேகர், நடிகர் உதயா உள்ளிட்ட பலர் கலந்து கொண்டனர்.

Sureshs65
26th April 2010, 11:02 PM
/Dig

app,

Very true about Chitra's judging. Infact Sarath also judges with the same severity. I have not been following this year's program but till last year, he was very stringent in his judgement. My friend used to crib that they are finding too many faults but I guess if you need high quality, you need to demand perfection.

Jai,

My feeling is that we should abolish categories like 'Best Male Singer', 'Best Female Singer' etc. You are not sure how much is their real voice, how many bits they sang for one song and how much out of pitch they were which was corrected by technology. The only problem is that the singers would come back and say that the 'Best Music Director' award should also be abolished since we are not sure which parts of the songs are 'suttufied' from somewhere else, which parts were store bought and which part was some freeware!!!

/ End Dig

app_engine
26th April 2010, 11:12 PM
One more digression on that youtube

I heard MGS calling MD Sharath as 'aNNAchchi'.

Is it just for fun or Sharath has ancestry in some south TN district?

End-digression

jaiganes
27th April 2010, 12:15 AM
/Dig

app,

Very true about Chitra's judging. Infact Sarath also judges with the same severity. I have not been following this year's program but till last year, he was very stringent in his judgement. My friend used to crib that they are finding too many faults but I guess if you need high quality, you need to demand perfection.

Jai,

My feeling is that we should abolish categories like 'Best Male Singer', 'Best Female Singer' etc. You are not sure how much is their real voice, how many bits they sang for one song and how much out of pitch they were which was corrected by technology. The only problem is that the singers would come back and say that the 'Best Music Director' award should also be abolished since we are not sure which parts of the songs are 'suttufied' from somewhere else, which parts were store bought and which part was some freeware!!!

/ End Dig

we are living in easy times.
kekka nalla irundhaa poadhum - sila samayam ketka nalla illainnaalum sari - veli naattu isai saayalla edho onnu irundhaa podhum - adhu evvlo kuppainnaalum naanga alli poosippom appdinnu ellarume standing on one leg.
This is same as a parent saying to the kid - I dont care how you do it, what u do, whom u steal from/copy from, I just want good marks and u to land in a good job, I will lift my collar up and say 'you ar emy kid'. Value system is out, now everything is cheap.
That sort of cheapness is what is seeping into how we have started to listen to our music as well. Now everything can be parodied and anything can be lifted and recrafted . Offcourse the 'modernists' did the same in 70s - but they brought their own 'thing' to the table - but what is our current crop bringing in new? some computer created 'permutation and combination' - thats all.
LAst year's big hit 'Kangal Irandaal' is a classic example of this malaise - classic reethi gowlai - all you have to have is good singers and little orchestration - but the composer adds in 1-2-4 synth beats unnecessarily and stupid synth violin banks that dont jel either with the song or with the scene and go out nowhere conveying nothing. And we stood on rooftops crying 'hallelujah'. What the freaking thing was that - Shankar Ganesh would have accorded that Raaga a lot more 'respect' it deserved than what we got to hear. The singers were additional torture - ended up singing the wonderful raaga like a jingles humming vocal. Now every damn kiddo is saying let me score one 'Reethi gowlai'.
Have irreverence(as an artist to be bold in experimenting) - but only if u are absolutely sure of what u are bringing down to create.

I am happy that Raaja is still standing and sending in the right lessons in music for ppl to grasp and follow. I hope some one picks up the message soon.

Sureshs65
27th April 2010, 12:17 PM
I am happy that Raaja is still standing and sending in the right lessons in music for ppl to grasp and follow. I hope some one picks up the message soon.

Very true about Raja's creativity. He is definitely the last man standing wrt originality. My only concern is that no one is picking up his message, including his younger son. Does anyone nowadays have the conviction of doing something completely original or has the music trade become such that you cannot survive if you do not bow to the current trend of CTL-C and CTL-V?

raja_fan
27th April 2010, 12:36 PM
This is same as a parent saying to the kid - I dont care how you do it, what u do, whom u steal from/copy from, I just want good marks and u to land in a good job, I will lift my collar up and say 'you ar emy kid'. Value system is out, now everything is cheap.

Well said ! Well said !

Devaraagam
27th April 2010, 03:58 PM

Jagans, well said. Raja is the person doing music as what his heart says to him..he won't care any other thing...in the mordern world, very very few can understand what he talks and what he communicating though his music.

K
29th April 2010, 02:13 PM
http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/shooting-spot/2010/04/29-ilayaraja-padithurai-s-ramakrishnan.html

என் படத்துக்கு இளையராஜாதான் இசை என்பதில் இன்று நேற்றல்ல... பாலு மகேந்திராவிடம் பணியாற்றிய காலத்திலேயே தீர்மானமாக இருந்தேன். நானும் இசையைப் படித்தவன். ராஜாவின் இசைக்கு என்னைக் கொடுத்தவன். படத்தில் இடம்பெற்றுள்ள ஐந்து பாடல்களுமே முத்திரை பதிக்கும்..." என்கிறார் இயக்குநர் சுகா.

Punnaimaran
29th April 2010, 03:47 PM
deleted
Stuff already posted by irir in another thread.

raagadevan
30th April 2010, 02:17 AM
"For the music, I have opted for Ilayaraja, my favourite composer. The little ornamentation, flourishes and notes he brings to the music complements the story and situation so well. Despite his genius and his seniority in the industry, he approaches each work with the dedication and passion of a newcomer".

-Malayalam director Sathyan Anthikkad; talking about his new movie "kadha thudarunnu" (From the Hindu - April 30, 2010)

vel
30th April 2010, 01:34 PM
LAst year's big hit 'Kangal Irandaal' is a classic example of this malaise - classic reethi gowlai - the composer adds in 1-2-4 synth beats unnecessarily and stupid synth violin banks that dont jel either with the song or with the scene and go out nowhere conveying nothing..
hmm, i dont think i agree. It sounded perfectly ok to me and not stupid or unnecessary at all. This is lot more a subjective thingy IMHO :) ..James vasanthan has also done a great ataana number in yaathumaagi...now how many composers even attempt/try these days? Few and far in between...

jaiganes
30th April 2010, 05:24 PM
LAst year's big hit 'Kangal Irandaal' is a classic example of this malaise - classic reethi gowlai - the composer adds in 1-2-4 synth beats unnecessarily and stupid synth violin banks that dont jel either with the song or with the scene and go out nowhere conveying nothing..
hmm, i dont think i agree. It sounded perfectly ok to me and not stupid or unnecessary at all. This is lot more a subjective thingy IMHO :) ..James vasanthan has also done a great ataana number in yaathumaagi...now how many composers even attempt/try these days? Few and far in between...
I felt the tune was very good - the orchestration surrounding it was done in a rather loud manner. reethigowlaikku uriya softness ambient soundsla varalai is my feel.

raagas
30th April 2010, 07:07 PM

Reading these posts, I just listened to the song and yes it is a good song. But I agree with Jaiganes on one aspect - the synth violin bank sound punched in.. felt it was lil amateurish or rather cheesy element in an otherwise good effort.

Anyway.. get back guys... diversions :)

app_engine
5th May 2010, 02:38 AM
Got a joke from this blog :

http://bostonsriram.blogspot.com/2010/05/blog-post.html

ஒரு ஜோக்கோட முடிச்சிக்கறேன்..

இளையராஜா ஒரு முறை வெளிநாட்டில் இருக்கும் போது நண்பர் ஒருவர் அவரை ஒரு ஹாலிவுட் பிரபலத்திடம் அறிமுகப் படுத்தினாராம் இவர் ஐநூறு படங்களுக்கு இசை அமைத்தவர் என்று. அவங்க எல்லாம் வருஷத்துக்கு ஒரு படம் முடிச்சாலே பெரிய விஷயம், 500 படம் பத்தி கேட்டு மிரண்ட அந்த பிரபலம் ராஜாவைப் பாத்து கேட்டராம் உங்களுக்கு எத்தனை பசங்கன்னு? மூணுன்னு பதில் சொன்ன ராஜாவைப் பாத்து அவர் கேட்டாராம் - When did you get time???

app_engine
7th May 2010, 09:27 PM
[tscii:025ec5a55f] Sathyan interview to the hindu (http://beta.thehindu.com/arts/cinema/article423237.ece)

Another golden moment he holds close to his heart happened while they were recording the songs of ‘Rasanthantram.' “Much before I entered tinsel town, Ilayaraja was someone I idolised a great deal. The fact that I am able to work with him is something precious to me. While the recording for ‘Rasathantram' was going on, Kamal Hassan's ‘Vettaiyadu Vilayadu' was being shot in the vicinity. During a break in the shoot Kamal would join Ilayaraja in the room that he used for composing. I told Kamal that my heroine's name was Kanmani in the film as I was inspired by his song ‘Kanmani Anbodu Kadhalan' in ‘Guna.' Immediately, Kamal hummed the lines of the Ilayaraja song sung by Kamal himself in the film. Ilayaraja played it on the harmonium and Kamal sang along. I value such moments more than awards and hits,” says Sathyan.

[/tscii:025ec5a55f]

app_engine
7th May 2010, 09:33 PM
kisu-kisu with IR photo:
http://www.virakesari.lk/cinema/news/001view.asp?key=2830

சில வருடங்களுக்கு முன் இசைஞானி இளையராஜாவின் மூத்த வாரிசான கார்த்திக் ராஜா பல படங்களுக்கு இசையமைத்து பிஸியாக இருந்தார்.

ஆனால் தற்போது ஒன்றிரண்டு படங்கள்தான் வாய்ப்பு வருகின்றது. அதையும் சரியான நேரத்துக் இசையமைத்து*க் கொடுக்காமல் இழுத்தடித்து வருகிறார்.

இதனால் நிறைய புது இயக்குனர்களின் படங்களுக்கு இசையமைக்கும் வாய்ப்பு இல்லாமல் போய்விடுகிறது. சமீபத்தில் வெளியான ரெட்டச்சுழி படத்திலும் பாடல்கள், பின்னணி இசை என எதுவும் பேசப்படாததால் மேலும் வருத்தத்தில் இருக்கிறார் கார்த்திக் ராஜா.

இந்நிலையில், தற்போது ஒரு படத்திற்கு வாய்ப்பு வந்துள்ளது. அப்பட இயக்குனர் சொன்ன ஒரே கண்டிஷன், என் படத்துக்கு இசையமைக்க வாய்ப்பு வேண்டுமென்றால், இளையராஜா சார் குறைந்த சம்பளத்திற்கு ஒரு பாடல் பாடிக் கொடுக்க வேண்டும் என்பதுதான்.

இதை இளையராஜாவிடம் கார்த்திக் ராஜா சொல்ல, மகனுக்காக பாடித் தருகிறேன் என்றிருக்கிறார். வாய்ப்புக்காக என்னவெல்லாம் செய்ய வேண்டியிருக்கிறது என்றாராம் இளையராஜா.

raj_musing
7th May 2010, 10:19 PM
App,

Sathyan has definitely lost his magical touch and Rasathanthram according to me is one of the worst movie that I have ever seen; directed by him...Songs were definitely the saving factor.One of his strengths in earlier days was the tie up with Srinivasan who penned the story and screenplay for most of his movies and this combo had produced some amazing movies in 80's...The downfall of Sathyan started after this combo split...While I do agree that Manisinakkare was a hit,,,but it still misses the earlier charm....

Reviews on "Kadha thudarunnu" looks like a mixed bag...Though people are praising the songs...

http://www.zonkerala.com/movie/user-reviews.php?id=103

Reviews ha

K
7th May 2010, 10:52 PM
[tscii:94143ba145]http://www.envazhi.com/?p=18131
‘என் கடவுள் இளையராஜாதான்!-Murali[/tscii:94143ba145]

Plum
8th May 2010, 11:10 AM
சில வருடங்களுக்கு முன் இசைஞானி இளையராஜாவின் மூத்த வாரிசான கார்த்திக் ராஜா பல படங்களுக்கு இசையமைத்து பிஸியாக இருந்தார்.

idhu eppo? We can conclude that this rumour is nonsense based on this alone. When ever was Karthik Raja busy with many films? :lol:

A.ANAND
9th May 2010, 11:54 AM
Illayaraja says no to son Yuvan
IndiaGlitz [Saturday, May 08, 2010]

Illayaraja the legend is always content and humble. So much that he even refuses the wishes of his sons to admire at him.

Yuvan Shankar Raja wanted to hold a grand birthday bash for his father on June 3 which will be Raja's 67th birthday. The siblings wanted to have the bash which assumes greater significance as this would also be a celebration for his Padmabhushan Award. So they planned a party which will have Bharathiraja, Vairamuthu, Vaali and AR Rahman as guests.

But when Yuvan took this plan to his father he out rightly rejected it. Even Yuvan's mother could not convince Raja. An upset family is still hoping for a change in his mind.

So what will Illayaraja do on June 3? The maestro is planning to be at Thiruvannamalai on the day.

vel
11th May 2010, 03:18 PM
some points on ilaiyaraaja in this KR interview - see what he has said about his memorable moment - the song he mentions must be meetaadha oru veenai...

http://beta.thehindu.com/life-and-style/metroplus/article425623.ece

vel
11th May 2010, 05:15 PM
meeting with ilaiyaraaja - http://raghusubra.blogspot.com/

baroque
11th May 2010, 09:28 PM
ராகவன் is a proud இளையராஜா பக்தன்.:)
இளையராஜா வெறியன்.
ராகவன் is ஜாலி ! :swinghead:
vinatha. :D

MumbaiRamki
11th May 2010, 10:48 PM
some points on ilaiyaraaja in this KR interview - see what he has said about his memorable moment - the song he mentions must be meetaadha oru veenai...

Think so !!!

MumbaiRamki
11th May 2010, 10:53 PM
actualy , i think ...it should be appadi pakarthu venaam song from ivaan

jaiganes
12th May 2010, 12:12 AM
wasnt it "Unni krishnan" who sang that one?

p
12th May 2010, 12:53 AM
Don't know whether this has been mentioned / linked here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-56GtoivqiM

app_engine
12th May 2010, 06:09 AM

Hey, nice live piano by IR :-)

kameshratnam
12th May 2010, 11:07 AM
இசைஞானி இளையராஜாவின் பிறந்த நாளை முதல் முறையாக விமர்சையாகக் கொண்டாடுகிறார்கள் அவரது வாரிசுகள். இந்த விழாவில் தமிழ்த் திரையுலகமே பங்கேற்கிறது.

வருகிற ஜூன் மாதம் 3ஆம் தேதி இளையராஜாவுக்கு 67வது வயது பிறக்கிறது. இதனை மகன்கள் கார்த்திக் ராஜா, யுவன் சங்கர் ராஜா, மகள் பவதாரினி ஆகியோர் எப்போதும் இல்லாத அளவு சிறப்பாகக் கொண்டாடத் திட்டமிட்டுள்ளனர்.

பொதுவாக, தனது பிறந்த நாளை பெரிதாகக் கொண்டாடியதில்லை ராஜா. அந்த நாளில் தனது தாயார் சமாதிக்கோ, திருவண்ணாமலை ஆசிரமத்துக்கோ அல்லது மூகாம்பிகை கோயிலுக்கோ சென்றுவிடுவது அவர் வழக்கம்.

ஆனால் இந்த பிறந்த நாள் விழாவில் பத்ம பூஷன் விருது பெற்றமைக்காகவும் அவரது சாதனைகளைப் பாராட்டும் முகமாகவும் பெரிய அளவில் கொண்டாடத் திட்டமிட்டுள்ளனர் அவரது வாரிசுகள்.

ஜூன் மாதம் 5ஆம் தேதி சென்னை காமராஜர் அரங்கில் இதற்கென விமரிசையான விழா நடக்கவிருக்கிறது. ஆரம்பத்தில் இந்த விழாவுக்கு ஒப்புக்கொள்ளாத ராஜா, மகன்கள் மற்றும் நண்பர்களின் வற்புறுத்தலால் ஒப்புக் கொண்டுள்ளாராம்.

இவ்விழாவில் ஓட்டுமொத்த திரையுலகமும், எழுத்தாளர் ஜெயகாந்தன் உள்ளிட்ட இலக்கிய பிரமுகர்களும் பங்கேற்று இசைஞானிக்கு வாழ்த்து தெரிவிக்கிறார்கள்!

MumbaiRamki
12th May 2010, 12:37 PM
wasnt it "Unni krishnan" who sang that one?

Yes , Unnikrishnan and madhangi

raagas
12th May 2010, 01:34 PM

I doubt. It could be anything. It could be Vennilavin perai maatravaa (Ramana) or Aayiram Kodi or Vanji Kodi. Or may be something else. I see more of IR only in Meetadha Oru Veenai.

joe
12th May 2010, 05:52 PM
http://raghusubra.blogspot.com/2010/05/meeting-ilaiyaraja-part-1.html

vel
12th May 2010, 06:02 PM
ராகவன் is a proud இளையராஜா பக்தன்.:)
இளையராஜா வெறியன்.
ராகவன் is ஜாலி ! :swinghead:
vinatha. :D

so you know him?

baroque
12th May 2010, 07:48 PM
Yeah, Vel.
I know him.
He is mentioning rajkumar(santa clara) in his article, he is my bro-in-law.:swinghead:
Ilayaraja music time with my bro-in-law, I cherish the most!
Raghavan and Raj rock! :)
They love Ilayaraja.
I know all the ardent, informed fans of IR like CSR,Vicky,Raj,Raghavan and Vel. :)
vinatha.

baroque
12th May 2010, 08:01 PM

:ty: P

Wow! What a treat!
This morning I woke up to சின்னப்புறா......, humming and the prelude piano..beautiful.
raaja 's continuous பியானோ followed by echo ப்ளூட் and magical ஜெயச்சந்திரன்'ச vocal தாலாட்டு ...பூவிலே மேடை நான் போடவா....
Great Raaja, You keep on giving.
that's how you and my அப்பா raised me...You guys give, I take!
vinatha.

kameshratnam
13th May 2010, 07:42 AM
I hope u all know what happened with the meethada oru veenai song..one of our IR website members was in the studio and he saw this incident

the male singer could not deliver what ir had composed and an irritated ir told..u go and i will have the song done by balu( S P Bala)..
then singer had to plead with ir .....

Sanjeevi
15th May 2010, 12:30 AM
http://www.tamilcinema.com/CINENEWS/Hotnews/2010/may/140510d.asp

irir123
15th May 2010, 03:13 AM

IR scoring for a Balki film is not exactly news!

and if the other films being referred to, are the already in the cans, SRK and Happi, then this is not news at all!

ananth222
15th May 2010, 07:17 PM

and if the other films being referred to, are the already in the cans, SRK and Happi, then this is not news at all!
why so much tension?? :)
The last two Balki ventures produced great albums, so a third one is good news. The article also mentions one of them is an AB production - that is also good, it means Balki's efforts have paid off.

krish244
15th May 2010, 09:27 PM
[tscii:e28979c6af]Same news at IndiaGlitz.

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/56994.html

"Even when he was at the peak maestro Illayaraja did not vie Bollywood as a preferred destination except for a few friends like Balu Mahendra in Sadma. Decades later director Balki introduced Illayaraja again by using some of the legend’s Tamil tunes in his films 'Cheeni Kum' and 'Paa'. Now Bollywood is knocking at the doors of Illayaraja.

Illayaraja made a trip to Mumbai last week only to listen to stories of film makers who wanted him to do the music for their films. Sources say Illayaraja is convinced with four of the many stories he heard and agreed to do the music for the four films.

Legends always stand the test of time."

thanks,

Krishnan[/tscii:e28979c6af]

Sanjeevi
15th May 2010, 11:36 PM

may be.

But IR went to Mumbai. That is the news :)

venkkiram
16th May 2010, 10:43 AM
Illayaraja made a trip to Mumbai last week only to listen to stories of film makers who wanted him to do the music for their films. Sources say Illayaraja is convinced with four of the many stories he heard and agreed to do the music for the four films.

Legends always stand the test of time."

thanks,

Krishnanஎனக்கு மும்பை என்ற வார்த்தைக்கு பதிலாக, லண்டன் மற்றும் ஹாலிவிட் என இருந்திருக்க வேண்டும் என ஆசைப்படுகிறேன்.

ம்ம். நான் மட்டும் ஆசைப்பட்டால் போதுமா? ராசாவும் அதுபோல ஆசைப்பட்டு, அதற்கான முயற்சிகளில் இறங்க வேண்டும். ஒரு வருடத்தில் கைமேல் பலன் கிடைக்கும்.

Sureshs65
17th May 2010, 01:17 AM
Looks like there is a concert dedicated to Illayaraja's Telugu songs in US next month.

http://www.chimatamusic.com/telugu/Concerts/IlayaRaja/ir_concert_flier.php

app_engine
17th May 2010, 08:53 AM
But IR went to Mumbai. That is the news :)

Sounds like gimmicks to be in the news :-(

raghavendran
17th May 2010, 12:36 PM
Looks like there is a concert dedicated to Illayaraja's Telugu songs in US next month.

http://www.chimatamusic.com/telugu/Concerts/IlayaRaja/ir_concert_flier.php 8-) ..has won national awards for telugu films as well

vel
17th May 2010, 12:40 PM
http://raghusubra.blogspot.com/2010/05/meeting-with-ilaiyaraaja-part-3.html

app_engine
18th May 2010, 08:18 PM

Thank you vel, for the link!

Wonderful blog, read all the posts in one sitting and amazed :-)

eagle
19th May 2010, 01:32 AM

I dont think you can expect so many discoveries coming up of other MD's compositions after so many years ... that proves why he is really ILAYA raaja... :D

raghavendran
20th May 2010, 07:22 PM

I dont think you can expect so many discoveries coming up of other MD's compositions after so many years ... that proves why he is really ILAYA raaja... :D :yes:

raj_musing
22nd May 2010, 11:48 PM
Not sure if this was posted:-

http://shajiwriter.blogspot.com/2010/01/ilayaraja-heights-and-depths.html

eagle
23rd May 2010, 01:49 AM
not sure if there was a reply this way...

என்னது காந்தியை சுட்டுட்டாங்களா?

Hulkster
23rd May 2010, 09:46 AM
One look at that blog post revealed three mistakes.

1) Trying to analyse thalaivar's words with a mind bending upon negativity.

2) Trying to think he even understood thalaivar's character and life.

3) Trying to quote mozart's life to show that he understand's music when he probably only knows a word called music.

Conclusion : Dunt read unless you have a choice of words to send him.

Sureshs65
23rd May 2010, 12:42 PM
not sure if there was a reply this way...

என்னது காந்தியை சுட்டுட்டாங்களா?

:lol:

raj_musing
24th May 2010, 09:24 AM
[tscii:a34c8d6166]
One look at that blog post revealed three mistakes.

1) Trying to analyse thalaivar's words with a mind bending upon negativity.

2) Trying to think he even understood thalaivar's character and life.

3) Trying to quote mozart's life to show that he understand's music when he probably only knows a word called music.

Conclusion : Dunt read unless you have a choice of words to send him.

FM : -s-s…aariiraariirO….aarii raarii rO…
M : Ey enna idhu?
FM : mm.. thaalaattu..
M : edhu idhaa thaalaattu?
FM : enakku ippadi thaan theriyum.i-stam iruntha kELu illanna niiyE paadu..enna?
M : sari sari paadi tholai
aariirO….aaraarO…aariraarO…
kaNNa thoRakkaNum saami…… kaiya pudikkaNum saami…..
kaNNa thoRakkaNum saami kaiya pudikkaNum saami
idhu vaanam paakkuRa buumi
vanthu sErnthu viLachchala kaami

vaalibam vaadumE vaadaiyum kuudumE
saamiya kuudinaa sanggadam OdumE
vaalibam vaadumE vaadaiyum kuudumE
saamiya kuudinaa sanggadam OdumE
thayakkam aagaathu thaamadham kuudaathu
thEgamthaan vaaduthu vaanggaLEn
aruL tharum thirukkadalE
arikkuthu en udalE
mOgam thiira mOtcham thaaraayO
vENaaNdi aambaLai paavam…..aa
vaanggaadha ennOda saabam… Ey
vENaaNdi aambaLai paavam…..aa
vaanggaadha ennOda saabam
kalaiyaadhu enthavam adiyE
iRanggaadhu paaymara kodiyE.. -hEy
vENaaNdi aambaLai paavam…..-ha-ha-ha

E..E….Eyyyy….
meththa naan pOduREn piththanE Odivaa
muththamE maalaiyaay moththamaa suuda vaa
meththa naan pOduREn piththanE Odivaa
muththamE maalaiyaay moththamaa suuda vaa
-hEy… bakthi maaRaadhu bajanaiyum nikkaadhu
en dhEgam thiiNdaathE mayilE
pudichchadhu pudichchathu thaan
Ey..Ey..Ey..Ey..
purinjchikka en guNamdhaan
paadhai maaRi pOga maattENdii
kaNNa thoRakkaNum saami….-haiyyO…
kaiya pudikkaNum saami
adi..vENaaNdi aambaLai paavam…..-haa
idhu vaanam paakkuRa buumi
vanthu sErnthu viLachchala kaami
kaNNa thoRakkaNum saami….-haiyyO….
kaiya pudikkaNum saami…..emmaa…..
kaNNa thoRakkaNum saami ..mm-hum..
kaiya pudikkaNum saami…ayyO….

[/tscii:a34c8d6166]

vel
24th May 2010, 10:09 AM
app & eagle - that article further compounds the mystery that this genius is...look how he has talked to this person as if he was a newbie composer ..without any air or complications ... i had thought IR was allergetic to such over-analytical approaches/reviews to his work....i remember how some fan told that he had panfully compiled pages and pages of analysis on IR's work from the internet and also his own analysis on top of it...and IR seeemed to have replied," sari...idhunaala enna use?...the moment a song is recorded, my work is over..my focus is on the next work..you can go ahead and do any amount of analysis on the work that is now a thing of past for me..." :o

Sureshs65
24th May 2010, 10:53 AM
http://www.deccanchronicle.com/hyderabad/lyricist-veturi-no-more-095

Veturi Sundararamamurthy, the great Telugu lyricist, who had collaborated a lot with Raja and for whom Raja had high regard, passed away in Hyderabad on Saturday evening. Veturi admired Raja a lot and is supposed to have written highly about Raja in some of his articles. I have heard him speak highly of Raja in one of the singing competitions for which he was a judge. It is a great loss to the Telugu film industry since Veturi was still very actively writing songs for films. If you check out some of the episodes of 'Paadutha Teeyaga' or 'Paadalani Undhi' you can see the high regard SPB had for him. May his soul rest in peace. For people like me, who grew up in Hyderabad during late 70s and 80s, his songs are an integral part of our lives.

Veturi's bio at Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veturi_Sundararama_Murthy

An analysis of Veturi's lyrics:

http://www.idlebrain.com/celeb/realstars/veturi2.html

My own humble tribute to him. Mostly made up of songs he wrote for Raja.

http://sureshs65music.blogspot.com

Hulkster
24th May 2010, 12:19 PM
app & eagle - that article further compounds the mystery that this genius is...look how he has talked to this person as if he was a newbie composer ..without any air or complications ... i had thought IR was allergetic to such over-analytical approaches/reviews to his work....i remember how some fan told that he had panfully compiled pages and pages of analysis on IR's work from the internet and also his own analysis on top of it...and IR seeemed to have replied," sari...idhunaala enna use?...the moment a song is recorded, my work is over..my focus is on the next work..you can go ahead and do any amount of analysis on the work that is now a thing of past for me..." :o

I guess sometimes it depends on how thalaivar perceives what this person is trying to do and based on that his answers could just take you apart if he feels your just trying to "sell" his views/work rather than buy into it.

Raghu's approach was evident from the start(and that he had a very hardcore fan's view might have helped it on) that he wanted to have a heartfelt discussion with thalaivar regarding his music and thalaivar would have liked that. Approach really matters to characters like that of thalaivar's.

vel
24th May 2010, 04:32 PM
seems like it hulk

Plum
24th May 2010, 04:54 PM
Suresh, saw the news on Veturi and wanted to post here. I think it is more apt that you posted it. Lovely tribute.
I usually blame Mano for Idhayathai ThirudadhAe being weaker compared to Geethanjali but perhaps, the sandhams themselves and the soothing mellifluidity of Veturi's words in Telugu, too. They roll off the tongue ever so smoothly - even discounting the meaning and poetic credentials of the lyrics, they stand out for their embellishment of the tune by just being there.

I agree with you that Aakasm EnAtidhO had the best possible lyrics for the Thumbi Vaa tune.

Was Swarna Kamalam also VSRC? There are 2-3 songs there which have lovely lyrics.

Plum
24th May 2010, 05:07 PM
Digression:
irunga Maddy kitta pOttu kudukkarEn (http://sureshs65music.blogspot.com/2010/05/one-song-at-time-2-dhoni-saagali.html)

Dhoni saagali

End Digression

Sureshs65
24th May 2010, 06:29 PM
Plum,

Very well written words by you about Veturi's words. I find that the lyricist in Telugu strive to bring out the sheer beauty of the language as well as for giving some deep imagery and meaning. Veturi could provide both in equal measures. For example, 'raagala ananthana nee veyi roopalu' sounds as mellifluous as it is meaningful.

'Swarnakamalam' was by the other outstanding lyricist, Sirivennala Sitarama Sastry.

Reg 'dhoni', :)

Plum
24th May 2010, 07:37 PM
Yeah, Suresh, and perhaps it is in the language itself. Afterall, enga mahakavi himself said "sundara telunginil pAttisaithu". I guess he knew a thing or two about what he was talking about.

All the same, even given the language advantage, I think you are right that VSRC had a special gift of finding the right words at the right place that enhanced the melody of the tune.

For example, the Swarna Kamalam song - Siva Poojakku - the sheer gambhiram of the words add merit to the - I must say rather run of the mill tune by IR - situation and Chandram's perspective in that situation. Ofcourse, IR makes up for the tune with some canny and intelligent orchestration, thats a different issue altogether.

nI kadalika chaitanyapu sreekaram kAni
nidhurinchina hridaya ravaLi omKAram kAni

As you say, the fitment to the tune, the value add to teh melody of the tune, imagery, fidelity to the situation all are top-class

And then the classy finish with:

lalita charaNa janitam
nI sahaja vilAsam
jwalita kiraNA kalitam
soundarya vikAsam
nI abhinaya ushodayam tilakinchina ravi nayanam
my favourite imagery is the above line, plus the sheer joy of the fluidity of these words in this tune in this place
gagana sarasi hrudyamlO
vikasita shata daLa shObana
suvarna kamalam

Every word tingles your senses!

Fliflo
24th May 2010, 07:38 PM
Raja's treat on Stage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4hwEb-k4jw

Plum
24th May 2010, 07:38 PM
Oops, trying to google the exact words, I just realised the Swarna Kamalam song is by SirivennelA :ashamed:

Sureshs65
24th May 2010, 09:26 PM
Plum,

While "Swarnakamalam' was by Sirivennala, Veturi also had such songs with amazing musicality in the words to his credit. You have correctly identified the songs of 'Geethanjali' and I also believe that other than Mano factor, the lyrics in Tamil did not match the musicality of Telugu. I mean, it is very difficult to match 'raaleti poola raagalatho, poocheti poola gandhalatho, manchu taaki koyila, mouna maina velala'. How do you match this?

app_engine
25th May 2010, 02:01 AM
Chanced to see this blog which has a scan of vikatan vimarsanam of kAtRinilE varum geetham.

Raja gets 40/100 marks. The reviewer must have been deaf!

See here (http://10hot.wordpress.com/2009/04/09/%E0%AE%85%E0%AE%A8%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%A4%E0%AE%95%E0%A F%8D-%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%BE%E0%AE%B2-%E0%AE%B5%E0%AE%BF%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%9F%E0%AE%A9%E0%A F%8D-%E0%AE%B5%E0%AE%BF%E0%AE%AE%E0%AE%B0%E0%AF%8D%E0%A E%9A/)

Renault
25th May 2010, 03:09 AM
:omg:

Kaatrinile Varum geetham had gems.. not songs...each one a different variety.

Renault
25th May 2010, 03:11 AM
Maestro himself used the Chithirai Sevvanam song in this movie in a telugu movie.. April 1 Viduthla (Chukkala Temanna....).

venkkiram
25th May 2010, 08:45 AM
Chanced to see this blog which has a scan of vikatan vimarsanam of kAtRinilE varum geetham.

See here (http://10hot.wordpress.com/2009/04/09/%E0%AE%85%E0%AE%A8%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%A4%E0%AE%95%E0%A F%8D-%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%BE%E0%AE%B2-%E0%AE%B5%E0%AE%BF%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%9F%E0%AE%A9%E0%A F%8D-%E0%AE%B5%E0%AE%BF%E0%AE%AE%E0%AE%B0%E0%AF%8D%E0%A E%9A/)

இவனுங்க இப்படியெல்லாம் எழுதி, "நாங்க தான் பெரிய விமர்சகர்" என்ற போலி பிம்பத்தை உருவாக்கி, அதைவைத்தே வெகுஜன மக்களிடம் சென்றவர்கள் என்பதைப் பார்க்கும்போது, சரியான தில்லாலங்கடி என்றால் அது ஆ.விதான்.

Sureshs65
25th May 2010, 09:36 AM
app_eng,

I have read that issue, which they published in their archive section recently. Infact the review says that since Raja is new we must encourage him and hence the high marks!!! If my memory serves me right, in the 'Mudhal Mariyadai' review they had no mention of music at all!!!

'vimarsanathila ithellam sagajamappa' :)

raagas
25th May 2010, 11:23 AM
Plum,

While "Swarnakamalam' was by Sirivennala, Veturi also had such songs with amazing musicality in the words to his credit. You have correctly identified the songs of 'Geethanjali' and I also believe that other than Mano factor, the lyrics in Tamil did not match the musicality of Telugu. I mean, it is very difficult to match 'raaleti poola raagalatho, poocheti poola gandhalatho, manchu taaki koyila, mouna maina velala'. How do you match this?

Geetanjali was a marvel, lyrically as well. every song..literally EVERY song had great lyrics. And beating them all, one song, had Meangingless lyrics.. just to make the situational song meaningful. NOBODY can pull this off. The song "Nandi Konda Vaagullona" is for the situation where the hero & heroine scare each other as ghosts. And Veturi has given a language for ghosts...using the language of humans. What an imagination. The lines dont make any great meaning, but then they do give the impact that they are meant to be so.

Like these:

Nakkanu thokkisthaan... Chukkalu Kakkisthaan (hahahah)

and he uses the Telugu grammar concepts as a word in that horror song "Oh Baala Masajasathathaga Saardhoolaaa". Boss... Veturi's imagination touched a peak in this song. Tell me, can anyone really imagine to write this way??? And ofcourse, Ilaiyaraaja's creativity too.

On one end, in this album, we have these crazily well written lines that suit the situation and on the other we have sublime lines like the ones Suresh cited or even "Kantiki Paapavaithe Reppaga maaranaa" (If you are the eyeball, should i transform myself into an eyelid) "Jagathi ke Athidhulai, Jananamandhina prema jantaki om" (To Descend on to this world like divine guests, they have choosen to be born as couple.. this is absolute loosest translation ever, because there no translation can justify). Thats Veturi.

Plum
25th May 2010, 09:31 PM
Raagas, I'd like to observe a couple of thoughts about the "jagathikE athithulai" line. At one level, what you translated works as the meaning. At another, it also captures the movie's story(whatever little it had) - that this was a couple born but to be guests in this world - their impending, doomed fate captured in a capsule, while at the same time hinting cheekily romanticising it all with the lines describing them as having chosen to be born in this world as guests- as though they chose to be born with their fate as a doomed couple thereby leaving behind a romantic tale for posterity to savour.
2. While that itsel is replicable by other poets, just imagining it in tamil
"VirundhinargL" vs "athithulu".
No contest which is the more musical word. Subramanyar knew what he was talking about.

jaiganes
25th May 2010, 10:01 PM
Raagas, I'd like to observe a couple of thoughts about the "jagathikE athithulai" line. At one level, what you translated works as the meaning. At another, it also captures the movie's story(whatever little it had) - that this was a couple born but to be guests in this world - their impending, doomed fate captured in a capsule, while at the same time hinting cheekily romanticising it all with the lines describing them as having chosen to be born in this world as guests- as though they chose to be born with their fate as a doomed couple thereby leaving behind a romantic tale for posterity to savour.
2. While that itsel is replicable by other poets, just imagining it in tamil
"VirundhinargL" vs "athithulu".
No contest which is the more musical word. Subramanyar knew what he was talking about.
now i want to know what VM has written for the same....

Sureshs65
25th May 2010, 10:08 PM
Jai,

I am not sure if it was VM for this. Wasn't Roja the first Maniratnam-VM collaboration?

Plum: You have explained it very nicely. Infact the the sounds of the words I had earlier written, 'raaleti poola', if you observe carefully, suit the lilting tune so well. The softness of the tune is accentuated by the words. 'poola', 'raagalu', 'ghandalatho'. He has chosen the words so as to be as soft as the tune. Same with 'Om Namaha' as well. 'e manchu kondalokatai kovgililo kalisi karige velalo'. Raja's collaboration with Veturi and Sirivenella did produce some magical works.

jaiganes
25th May 2010, 10:08 PM
alaanti maater thamizh songlo aemi ledhu
(translated - there is no reference of jagadhukku virundhinar in thamizh om namaha )
The thamizh om namaha song is extremely preoccupied with the kiss and the Jollu.

jaiganes
25th May 2010, 10:15 PM
I wish someone took the pain of using the word 'pranayam' as is in thamizh - Malayalam and kannada also use this wonderful word.

Who ever did the translation of this wonderful song in thamizh has done an extremely hash job of it. the poetry in telugu with all those poetic allegory to the 'extreme closeness' is broken to pieces by a very vulgar translation. I cant believe if Raaja has not taken enough care around this..
And I am with Plum on SPB Vs Mano = Sooriyan Vs Candle light....

app_engine
25th May 2010, 10:19 PM
If my memory serves me right, in the 'Mudhal Mariyadai' review they had no mention of music at all!!!

'vimarsanathila ithellam sagajamappa' :)

Not mentioning about music / lack of appreciation etc can at least be tolerated. Here they are specifically giving marks to various artists (even the producer gets a 50% :lol: and most others got better score than IR). If someone does not know anything about music, they shouldn't be judging it at all.

AV review team must have been comprising of people like Gnani / Charu / Shaji those days.

In any case, that movie is today remembered only for chitthirachchevvAnam, oru vAnavil pOlE and kaNdEn engum poomagaL nAttiyam. :-)

eagle
25th May 2010, 10:21 PM

பொதுவாகவே தமிழர்கள் செத்த பின் சிலை வைப்பதில் சிறந்தவர்கள்... ஏதோ இந்த மட்டிலாவது ராஜாவை இப்போது சிறப்பிக்கிறார்களே என்று சந்தோஷப்படுங்கள்...அவர் வளர்ந்த காலத்தில் மட்டம் தட்ட முயற்சிகள் தான் அதிகம்... அவரும் இவர்களைப் பற்றி புரிந்துகொண்டு மீடியா நிழலில் நிற்காமல் ஒதுங்கிக்கொண்டார்.

Plum
25th May 2010, 10:44 PM
alaanti maater thamizh songlo aemi ledhu
(translated - there is no reference of jagadhukku virundhinar in thamizh om namaha )
The thamizh om namaha song is extremely preoccupied with the kiss and the Jollu.
Think it was vaali.
"moongilil kaatru nuzhaindhu mohanam paadudhO
Naal vagai naanam marandhu naadagam aadudho"
Was decent. But as you said, the emphasis was on the jollu only with no depth as in the telugu version.
The second point I made was about sundara telunginil paatisaithu. When the language offers you athithulu for virundhinargaL, you have a head start as a lyricist!

tvsankar
25th May 2010, 10:46 PM

பொதுவாகவே தமிழர்கள் செத்த பின் சிலை வைப்பதில் சிறந்தவர்கள்... ஏதோ இந்த மட்டிலாவது ராஜாவை இப்போது சிறப்பிக்கிறார்களே என்று சந்தோஷப்படுங்கள்...அவர் வளர்ந்த காலத்தில் மட்டம் தட்ட முயற்சிகள் தான் அதிகம்... அவரும் இவர்களைப் பற்றி புரிந்துகொண்டு மீடியா நிழலில் நிற்காமல் ஒதுங்கிக்கொண்டார்.

eagle - yes. Raja purinjindu thannai kapathindu irukar.

|Silai ellam vendam pa

Jesus madhiri - Siluvaiyil yethama irundha podhum........

Raja konjam innocent a irundha,
adhaiyum seidhalum seivanga....

but - God is Great. Raja nalla irukar.idhu podhum...........

Sanjeevi
25th May 2010, 10:47 PM

Vikatan review sucked especially in music and particularly in raaja's music. They are re-publishing many yesteryear movie reviews. I could not see any praise for raaja even in many reviews they had not mentioned raaja and hence not reviwed the music part

Plum
25th May 2010, 10:48 PM
Jai,

I am not sure if it was VM for this. Wasn't Roja the first Maniratnam-VM collaboration?

Plum: You have explained it very nicely. Infact the the sounds of the words I had earlier written, 'raaleti poola', if you observe carefully, suit the lilting tune so well. The softness of the tune is accentuated by the words. 'poola', 'raagalu', 'ghandalatho'. He has chosen the words so as to be as soft as the tune. Same with 'Om Namaha' as well. 'e manchu kondalokatai kovgililo kalisi karige velalo'. Raja's collaboration with Veturi and Sirivenella did produce some magical works.
Corresponding tamil lyrics for e manchu:
"Nooladai vilagi vilagi neerodai perugi vazhiyum neram
"
Clearly, the tamil lyricist got stuck at Girija's lips :)

kiru
25th May 2010, 11:37 PM
Re: Shaji's article - Here is my take on IR's personality - he is a tough competitor and employer. If you cannot run with him ..just get out of the way ..otherwise you are gonna get crushed under the wheels of this monster struck. I dont know whether Shaji has worked or known brilliant people..I have known top-notch programmers (who write a video game in an hour for fun) who would almost insult me when I was new to my job just out of college..But I know the guy really never meant it..It is unimaginable for him that I would be making the same mistakes again and again..(I was writing device drivers in assembly language..just the glue code..rest was in C). Do I go around trashing that guy.. no way..I am happy he set a reference for me for the rest of the career.
Good guys like Guitar Prasanna have worked with him and made a career elsewhere. IR is not your gradma to spoon feed you.. if a village dude like him can work like a Maestro and command the respect of top-notch conductors in the world. We convent educated ..school bus/car driven ..lunch box delivered children should do better :-)

Sureshs65
26th May 2010, 12:00 AM
பொதுவாகவே தமிழர்கள் செத்த பின் சிலை வைப்பதில் சிறந்தவர்கள்.

:lol:

Sureshs65
26th May 2010, 12:04 AM
In any case, that movie is today remembered only for chitthirachchevvAnam, oru vAnavil pOlE and kaNdEn engum poomagaL nAttiyam. :-)

I am sure many music directors would love to retire after giving songs like this in atleast one movie!!! As Sanjeevi says, no major AV review has anything great to say about Raja's music.

app_engine
26th May 2010, 12:48 AM
Vikatan's anti-IR feelings those days look so obvious when one looks at reviews like KVG. There was definitely an agenda to put him down as the intentions are clear in giving him 40% score here. I remember very well how those songs were a rage those days among radio listeners.

Interestingly, these songs were not the 'machchAnappAththeengaLA' kind and generally weren't blasted off of horn speakers. With the tea stall / bus music / compact cassette culture not that much caught up at that time, these songs had to thrive solely on 'nEyar viruppam' kind of radio programs, that too from an unsuccessful movie without any mega stars.

And they DID!

A big thanks to SLBC (IOKS) for getting these songs heard all the time in the southern TN! Practically everyday will have one of these songs - either in the morning pongum poompunal or the evening neengaL kEttavai or some other program in-between.

Most people of my age group were developing affinity towards IR during that time period with continuous beauties from him without much intervals (he scored his first 100 within five "overs").

And this was one of those strong albums, classy (i.e. people could not dismiss the songs as ' veRum dappAnguththu') that grabbed us by the thousands into his fold!

There's a CD marketed with the name 'oru vAnavil pOlE' with PJ songs of 70's recently (I wrote about a number of them in the 'last IR song' thread). That can be called a simple testimony to the lasting power of the numbers from KVG.

par
26th May 2010, 08:39 PM
Plum,
சுந்தரம் பெருசா? இனிமை பெருசா? (யாமறிந்த மொழிகளிலே...) :)

par
26th May 2010, 08:41 PM
'Ithayathai Thirudaathe' songs were by Vali.

par
26th May 2010, 08:54 PM
Jai,

Wasn't Roja the first Maniratnam-VM collaboration?

No. It is 'Naan paadum mouna raagam...'

tvsankar
26th May 2010, 09:28 PM
pagal nilavu?

Shank
27th May 2010, 04:27 AM
Usha, it's Idhaya Kovil

K
27th May 2010, 09:28 AM
http://thamizhkadal.blogspot.com/2010/05/blog-post_133.html

tamil kadal Nellai Kannan about Raja.

இளையராஜா மனிதருக்கு இறைவன் வரம்

eagle
27th May 2010, 12:18 PM
இனியும் ராஜாவை மட்டம் தட்ட முயற்சித்தால் அசிங்கப்பட போவது நாம்தான் என்ற நிலையில்தான் பலரும் (சில விதிவிலக்குகள் எப்போதும் உண்டு செம்மங்குடி போல) ராஜாவின் புகழ் பாட ஆரம்பித்தார்கள் என்பது ஒரு உண்மை. அதற்கான காரணங்கள் இசை ரீதியானது மட்டும் அல்ல.

K
27th May 2010, 08:24 PM
http://jackiesekar.blogspot.com/2010/05/blog-post_27.html

app_engine
27th May 2010, 10:27 PM
[tscii:61e009e02f]http://www.screenindia.com/news/aiming-for-the-throne/623916/

Interview of the NA winning Marathi MDs

Relevent to the thread :

Atul feels that every music director is basically a “soul blessed by God”. The fact that someone can compose a tune, he feels, is no mean achievement. “We admire everyone, but a special favourite is Ilayaraja - he is the one who made us realise early on that music is not just about dancing but about touching the depths of our soul. There should be atma (soul) even in rhythm, and a good song must bring gooseflesh to the listener! It is only then that music crosses all barriers, like the way everyone relates to Gurbani, Sant Namdeo or Un dous tres.”

The brothers say that many Indian and Western giants made them learn what film music should be. “The sound should match the grandeur of Cinemascope and yet not be crowded. For us, music must be larger than life,” notes Atul. “For example, songs and background scores for us means John Williams in Hollywood and Laxmikant-Pyarelal’s Ram Lakhan and Saudagar, Kalyanji-Anandji-Viju Shah’s Tridev and R.D.Burman’s Sholay. Today we do not hear that kind of sound, and we want to bring it back both to Marathi and Hindi films.”

[/tscii:61e009e02f]

app_engine
28th May 2010, 07:48 PM
[tscii:1c1d65c2cf]An old article by rA.ki.Rangarajan is published in this blog (http://balhanuman.wordpress.com/2010/05/28/%E0%AE%87%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%88%E0%AE%AF%E0%AE%B0%E0%A E%BE%E0%AE%9C%E0%AE%BE-%E0%AE%AA%E0%AE%B1%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%B1%E0%AE%BF-%E0%AE%B0%E0%AE%BE-%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%BF-%E0%AE%B0%E0%AE%99%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%95/)

Got an instant laughter when I read this part :
(warning - complaints on arrogance expected from hubbers)

டாக்டர் கௌரிசங்கர், “நீங்கள் ரொம்பப் பிரமாதமான படங்களுக்கும் பாட்டுப் போடுகிறீர்கள். சில சமயம் ரொம்ப சாதாரணமான படங்களுக்கும் பாட்டுப் போடுகிறீர்கள். அது எதனால் ?” என்று கேட்டார்.

ராஜா சிரித்தார். “இன்னாருக்குப் பாட்டுப் போடுவேன், இன்னாருக்குப் போட மாட்டேன் என்று நான் சொல்வதில்லை. ‘நீங்கள் மியூசிக் போடுகிறீர்கள் என்று சொன்னால் உடனே விநியோகஸ்தர்கள் வாங்கிக் கொள்கிறார்கள். அதனால் ஒப்புக் கொள்ள வேண்டும்’ என்று கேட்கிறார்கள். ஒப்புக் கொள்கிறேன். படம் நன்றாக அமைவதோ, மோசமாக அமைவதோ அவரவர் கொடுப்பினை. சிக்னலில் கார் நிற்கிறது. ஏழையொருவன் வந்து கை நீட்டுகிறான். பையில் கையைவிட்டுக் காசை எடுப்பதற்குள் சிக்னல் கிடைத்து, கார் நகர்ந்து விடுகிறது. இன்னொரு சிக்னலில், வேறொரு ஏழை கை நீட்டுகிறான். ஒரு ரூபாய் போடலாம் என்று எடுத்தால் பத்து ரூபாய் நோட்டாக வருகிறது. போடுகிறோம். அதை என்னவென்று சொல்வது ?”

[/tscii:1c1d65c2cf]

irir123
29th May 2010, 10:25 AM
[tscii:02d339b1c5]An old article by rA.ki.Rangarajan is published in this blog (http://balhanuman.wordpress.com/2010/05/28/%E0%AE%87%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%88%E0%AE%AF%E0%AE%B0%E0%A E%BE%E0%AE%9C%E0%AE%BE-%E0%AE%AA%E0%AE%B1%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%B1%E0%AE%BF-%E0%AE%B0%E0%AE%BE-%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%BF-%E0%AE%B0%E0%AE%99%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%95/)

Got an instant laughter when I read this part :
(warning - complaints on arrogance expected from hubbers)

டாக்டர் கௌரிசங்கர், “நீங்கள் ரொம்பப் பிரமாதமான படங்களுக்கும் பாட்டுப் போடுகிறீர்கள். சில சமயம் ரொம்ப சாதாரணமான படங்களுக்கும் பாட்டுப் போடுகிறீர்கள். அது எதனால் ?” என்று கேட்டார்.

ராஜா சிரித்தார். “இன்னாருக்குப் பாட்டுப் போடுவேன், இன்னாருக்குப் போட மாட்டேன் என்று நான் சொல்வதில்லை. ‘நீங்கள் மியூசிக் போடுகிறீர்கள் என்று சொன்னால் உடனே விநியோகஸ்தர்கள் வாங்கிக் கொள்கிறார்கள். அதனால் ஒப்புக் கொள்ள வேண்டும்’ என்று கேட்கிறார்கள். ஒப்புக் கொள்கிறேன். படம் நன்றாக அமைவதோ, மோசமாக அமைவதோ அவரவர் கொடுப்பினை. சிக்னலில் கார் நிற்கிறது. ஏழையொருவன் வந்து கை நீட்டுகிறான். பையில் கையைவிட்டுக் காசை எடுப்பதற்குள் சிக்னல் கிடைத்து, கார் நகர்ந்து விடுகிறது. இன்னொரு சிக்னலில், வேறொரு ஏழை கை நீட்டுகிறான். ஒரு ரூபாய் போடலாம் என்று எடுத்தால் பத்து ரூபாய் நோட்டாக வருகிறது. போடுகிறோம். அதை என்னவென்று சொல்வது ?”

[/tscii:02d339b1c5]

typical IR reply!

raagas
31st May 2010, 12:02 PM
[tscii:800f4f6bbe]http://www.screenindia.com/news/aiming-for-the-throne/623916/

Interview of the NA winning Marathi MDs

Relevent to the thread :

Atul feels that every music director is basically a “soul blessed by God”. The fact that someone can compose a tune, he feels, is no mean achievement. “We admire everyone, but a special favourite is Ilayaraja - he is the one who made us realise early on that music is not just about dancing but about touching the depths of our soul. There should be atma (soul) even in rhythm, and a good song must bring gooseflesh to the listener! It is only then that music crosses all barriers, like the way everyone relates to Gurbani, Sant Namdeo or Un dous tres.”

The brothers say that many Indian and Western giants made them learn what film music should be. “The sound should match the grandeur of Cinemascope and yet not be crowded. For us, music must be larger than life,” notes Atul. “For example, songs and background scores for us means John Williams in Hollywood and Laxmikant-Pyarelal’s Ram Lakhan and Saudagar, Kalyanji-Anandji-Viju Shah’s Tridev and R.D.Burman’s Sholay. Today we do not hear that kind of sound, and we want to bring it back both to Marathi and Hindi films.”

[/tscii:800f4f6bbe]

I havent heard Jogwa but they did some beautiful work in recent Marathi film - Natarang.

raagas
1st June 2010, 11:00 AM
[tscii:10a99d790e]Read this:

On the occasion of maestro Ilayaraja’s 68th Birthday, his son Karthik Raja has done an exclusive on air show for his father in 92.7 BIG FM. The show content comprised a package of celeb interviews and memorable father-son moments and his gift to his father. It also gives the audience an encapsulated version of the maestro’s life so far.

Can anyone record this?[/tscii:10a99d790e]

raagas
1st June 2010, 11:14 AM
Bala's next is by Yuvan Shankar Raja & Not by Ilaiyaraaja:

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Repository/ml.asp?Ref=VE9JQ0gvMjAxMC8wNi8wMSNBcjAxOTAx&Mode=HTML&Locale=english-skin-custom

MumbaiRamki
1st June 2010, 12:39 PM
Most Radio channels are air-ing raaja's songs for next 2 days !!! im drenched already ...:)

crvenky
1st June 2010, 03:19 PM
Sarapallam Samundi - IR's next (own production)?
http://www.tamilcinema.com/CINENEWS/Hotnews/2010/june/010610c.asp

Sanjeevi
1st June 2010, 03:52 PM
hmmm

rajasaranam
1st June 2010, 05:37 PM
Sarapallam Samundi - IR's next (own production)?
http://www.tamilcinema.com/CINENEWS/Hotnews/2010/june/010610c.asp

Ennathu Gandhi Sethtuttaaraa?!!! :)

Sarapallam Samundi is the short story which was already made into Uliyin Osai :D Now they are reporting about some other new venture (The movie plot is a DUD one IMHO - Sure Flop :shaking: ) sari eppadiyo namakku paattu vantha OK :wink:

Devaraagam
1st June 2010, 10:18 PM
for those who is not watched this clip....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-56GtoivqiM&feature=player_embedded#!

you can take beautiful clips.

raj_musing
2nd June 2010, 09:06 AM
a site dedicated for the master in Mal with a lot of intresting anecdotes

http://www.manoramaonline.com/advt/Music/Ilayaraja_special/Ilayaraja-index.htm

raj_musing
2nd June 2010, 09:26 AM
Sathyans experience with raja is interesting..

Sureshs65
2nd June 2010, 10:05 AM
raj_musing,

Anyone for translation?

raagas
2nd June 2010, 11:16 AM
Violin Vicky does it again. A technical demonstration of Paattu Inge from "Poovizhi Vaasalile". Visit: http://raagadevan.blogspot.com/

Plum
2nd June 2010, 11:50 AM
The director of koodal nagar is doing another madurai based movie next. He says "indha mAdhiri kadhaikku sariyAna isai IR dhAn but enakku kedaichadhu Karthik Raja"
:-)

MumbaiRamki
2nd June 2010, 12:04 PM
Plum ,

Atlast , another movie for karthik raja :)

what is the source ?

Plum
2nd June 2010, 12:43 PM
Yeah, Mumbai Ramki, the only HC Karthik Raja fan known to mankind :-)
From Anandha Vikatan or Kumudham type tamil magazine. Cheenu Ramasamy is the name of the director. He gave huge build-up before koodal nagar release about a realistic, different, uNarvugaLai padhivu seyyum movie - it turned out to be a tall claim. Has made similar claims about the new movie too.

But Balu Mahendra Sishyan, pAppOm. Good opp for Karthik Raja - knowing him, I guess he'll decide to go out of form precisely now :lol:

MumbaiRamki
2nd June 2010, 01:41 PM
KR is going on air in suryan and Big fm ... some tit bits

1) When IR met paul enricone ( french arranger and raaja is a big fan of him) , he was stunned and he immediately cancelled all of his meetings on that day and personally requested illayaraaja to come to Hong Kong to attend the concert and introduced to everybody that he is a one great composer ..

2) Yaro yaro from ullasam was supposed to eb done for grahan first ..

3) Chellame chellame was tuned when Kr thought about his wife ..

4) In anjali , mota madi ..in teh first cut , yuvan could not sing the bit ' when i say , you listen ' ( the rap bit ) ..IR was bit frustrated and asked KR to speak to yuvan ....KR told to sing him like michael jackson and finally yuvan sang !

More to come ...

Plum
2nd June 2010, 04:38 PM
Chellame chellame was tuned when Kr thought about his wife ..

ellAthukkum real life inspiration andha kshaNathula irundhA thAN aNNanukku(he is really aNNan for me I think going by age) inspiration varum pOlirukku!

And was that Yuvan rapping in Anjali - voice appO nallA dhAnE irundhudu...

app_engine
2nd June 2010, 07:28 PM
Nothing but wind live performance info (http://beta.thehindu.com/life-and-style/metroplus/article444462.ece)

app_engine
2nd June 2010, 08:26 PM
One very interesting info from that Manorama special (from the Sathyan interview text).

========
Q : Isn't Raja a very serious person?

A : I didn't feel so. Whenever he watches the comical scenes of Innocent, he breaks into uncontrolled laughter. The BGM work will stop for a while :-) He has told that he adores Innocent. The child inside makes him laugh so much.
=======

That's nice to know that Raja enjoys humor - especially the Innocent variety (which is among my top favourites) :-)

Sureshs65
2nd June 2010, 10:08 PM
app_eng,

I have heard Raja cracking jokes atleast a couple of times. I remember one speech wherein he said that Bharathiraja showed them a lot of places in Chennai including Ethiraj college. He said that he did not go to all the places showed by Bharathiraja, especially Ethiraj college :)

raj_musing
2nd June 2010, 11:27 PM
raj_musing,

Anyone for translation?

Sathyan antthikad's speech(slightly abridged)

Earlier when I came to know that Ilayaraja's birthday is on June 2nd I called him up and decided to wish him.He picked up his mobile and when I wished him, he just casually said "Ok" and informed me that he was in Thiruvannamalai in Raman maharshi's Ashram. He picked up the call only because I called him!

I was just thinking If I had called him at the wrong time,but however Raja said "no" and informed me that Whenever he is
happy or sad he goes to his Guru Ramanamaharshi's ashram to meditate. So after that I never used to call on his birthday.

From the time Raja entered the film field Iam a big fan of his music. I just had a dream of working with him for atleast one movie. In fact I actually wanted to catch a glimpse of him,as it was not easy in those days,but Kochu kochu santhoshangal paved way for a good relationship with him. During the re recoding session of KKS I became close with him.It is my biggest fortune to have associated with this great musician and perhaps this friendship which will carry on for many more movies again in future.

I consider Raja as the greatest composer in this country.Though people talk about his greatness,there is something more
that you understand when you work with him and that is his utmost dedication to whatever he is doing.You will not believe
what Iam saying...But when I called him during the shooting of Kadha thudarunnu, Raja told me that he was in THANJAVUR.I asked him on what he was doing there,as I thought he was in some composing sessions,but he was studying a musical form from
a "Videshi" composer,whom raja was impressed when he travelled abroad...Raja booked the ticket for him and brought him to
Thanjavur to study and understand that music form. Even at this age he still considers himself as a student in music!!

In an interview once AR Rehman told me that the composer who has amazed him by his brilliance is ILAYARAJA.Rehman had
worked as a keyboard player for raja. Rahman told me that there are many addictions that a musician generally has in
life;some artists may have addiction for Alcohol,some for popularity but a man who had addiction for music and music only is
Ilayaraja.Also rahman told me about the speed in which raja composes music is unbelievable!...when I need months to
compose songs..raja does that in few minutes...The moment raja keeps handS on Harmonium music starts flowing and this is a
truly baffling....I too feel the same about the speed of his composing....

During the shooting of Manisinakkare I had requested him to come to Kerala for composing session,for which he agreed and
came.hE was enjoying the scenic beauty OF vEMBANAD BACK WATERS with a childish innocence. I told him that we will enjoy the
scenic trip today and perhaps will take up the story of Manisinakkare to him and can sit for the composing session the
next day...but as we moved he asked his assistant to take the harmonium immediately. I truly belive that the nature has
inspired him ......He started humming the tune and that later became the great "Melle Onnu paadi ninnu"......:):)

(to be contd) :)

kiru
3rd June 2010, 03:04 AM
Is this "videshi" composer some jazz musician ?

raj_musing
3rd June 2010, 06:20 AM
Is this "videshi" composer some jazz musician ?

Kiru, he has not mentioned the composers name...but what he was trying to explain here is raja's fascination and curiosity to understand something new...Being a genius and even at this age raja believes that he is still a student.....

raj_musing
3rd June 2010, 08:17 AM
Raja hummed the pallavi... and in front of me he went for the charanam as well..I was fortunate to see the sequence in which a music originates....There were a lot of Personal moments that I had spent with raja and the one particular one is during the 100th day celebration of "Achuvinte Amma".

Though raja wanted to see the city,I insisted him to go late in the night as he would be recognised by people...Together we went to Kappad beach after 8pm in the night.He kept the lights of his car on and went to the beach...There he was seen playing like a child with the waves...Iam furtunate to have spend many personal moments with him like this...

Many people have asked me on my
association with ilayaraja and its not just the songs that makes me happy,but the BGM department which he handles with elan..There are many people who don't understand the importance of BGM..How does a situation in a movie influence you? Its a combination of Visuals and BGM that make a sequence interesting...In the movie "Manisinakkare" there is a sequence where Jayaram and Sheela goes in a vanchi(traditiona boat)...The BGM that raja gives here is truly remarkable and nostalgic.....

Raja has shown his magic during the re recording of Kadha thudarunnu as well..The violins and other instruments used for the present super hit song "AAro padunnu" song was used by him in many emotional and touching situations throughout the movie..So the BGM used for a love song was re used by him in a different situation to convey a different feeling and this according to me is the magic and wonder that raja can do with instruments...The same tune has been used in different situations..

I have more freedom with him nowadays,but I have seen that most of the directors hesitate to even sit near him!Cheran-the renowed director during the recording of "mayyakannadi" was seen standing beside raja and when sathyan asked him to sit,he hesitated saying that "I never sit in front of Raja"...Such is the amount of respect that people have for him..

I was furtunate to enjoy the warmth of his affection that he has for me...When the budget of Malayalam movies may not fit for a composer of his stature,,He never asks me for much money; rather gifts me with heavenly songs...

May raja live for long with good health and continue his march with many more great songs to enthrall his fans....

rajasaranam
3rd June 2010, 10:15 AM
[tscii:229193b319]Nothing but Wind... Indeed! (http://naviniyer.com/blog/2010/06/nothing-but-wind-indeed/)

The past month kept me extremely busy. I was doing the notes for the pieces in the album. Though it was complex, I must admit, the complexity encloses beauty. I have always been proud of my birth having fallen during a period where I am able to appreciate, enjoy and learn from both the maestro’s and the Madras mozart’s music. Preparation for this show has helped me explore and live with the depth of musical knowledge of Ilayaraja sir and my respect for him has increased multi-fold.

[/tscii:229193b319]

Bala (Karthik)
3rd June 2010, 10:43 AM
:ty: RS

Ingerundhu yaarellam poreenga?

Devaraagam
3rd June 2010, 11:42 AM
Thanks Raj_musing for the translation. It was wonderful to know view of satyan and I believe this has more personal touch than previous his interviews

rajasaranam
3rd June 2010, 12:36 PM

Ingerundhu yaarellam poreenga?

Naan Kandippa Poraen :D
Gangaa polaamnna PM pannunga

crvenky
3rd June 2010, 12:40 PM
Tamilcinema.com special on IR's birthday:

http://www.tamilcinema.com/CINENEWS/Hotnews/2010/june/020610c.asp

http://www.tamilcinema.com/CINENEWS/Hotnews/2010/june/020610a.asp

crvenky
3rd June 2010, 12:55 PM
Maestro cuts cakes:

Celebration with Kulasekaranum.... team:

http://sify.com/movies/tamil/fullstory.php?id=14943820
http://sify.com/movies/tamil/fullstory.php?id=14943771

crvenky
3rd June 2010, 12:57 PM
Is IR scoring for a movie called Thittakudi? Its mentioned in the writeup here:

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/57496.html

crvenky
3rd June 2010, 12:58 PM
Birthday celebration photos:

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/gallery/Events/22338.html

Sureshs65
3rd June 2010, 02:18 PM
raj_musings,

Much thanks for the translation. Appreciate your effort. Nice to hear what Sathyan has to say about Raja. I have also read someone write here long back that in cases like that of Sathyan, Raja is very accommodative when it comes to his pricing.

Sureshs65
3rd June 2010, 09:10 PM
Naan Kandippa Poraen :D
Gangaa polaamnna PM pannunga

Oru groupa thaan thiriyiveenga pola :D Wish I was able to make it. Unfortunately cannot. So all of you ensoy!!

Sureshs65
3rd June 2010, 09:23 PM
Ravi Nataraja, who writes the Genius Raja blog, has now started a new series on the Raja of 20th century, titled 'Techno Baroque'. I resonate with this article since I also have been constantly holding that Raja has not lost his interest nor has he lost his touch. Ravi argues about the same in a more detailed fashion. You can read the article here:

http://geniusraja.blogspot.com/2010/06/techno-baroque-raja-genre.html

I am sure there will be more articles in this series with sound clips. I am happy that Ravi has taken this initiative.

To some extent, what Ravi says has also been something that kiru has been saying here: about Raja trying to imitate his orchestra on the synthesizer. I am sure kiru will find this article interesting.

raagas
4th June 2010, 12:06 PM
ilaiyaraaja facebook page (run by Agilan of Agimusic) says:

"Composing for Hindi Movie 'Zada Zadati' by Sahitya Akademi Award winner Vishwas Patil"

Weird name. I dont know even how do we pronounce it right. I just hope it is not another B-grade-ish 'Chal Chalein'.

From Wikipedia page of that author: ZadaZadati (Novel about on the life of people who lost their homes in a governmental dam project)

kiru
4th June 2010, 01:34 PM
Ravi Nataraja, who writes the Genius Raja blog, has now started a new series on the Raja of 20th century, titled 'Techno Baroque'. I resonate with this article since I also have been constantly holding that Raja has not lost his interest nor has he lost his touch. Ravi argues about the same in a more detailed fashion. You can read the article here:

http://geniusraja.blogspot.com/2010/06/techno-baroque-raja-genre.html

I am sure there will be more articles in this series with sound clips. I am happy that Ravi has taken this initiative.

To some extent, what Ravi says has also been something that kiru has been saying here: about Raja trying to imitate his orchestra on the synthesizer. I am sure kiru will find this article interesting.

Suresh..thanks for the link. Looks like I have never read Ravi before ..another great teacher like Vicky. He seems to answer my major doubt about how IR can fit ICM into a WCM structure - the answer is by playing around with the timing..very good explanation ..love it. thanks again. Need to read all the blogs there soon.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
4th June 2010, 02:39 PM

Ingerundhu yaarellam poreenga?Adiyen chennaiyil iruppathaal naan pogiren :D vera yaarellam varreenga?

Online booking is available at www.indianstage.in I booked online only. Landmark varai poga evanukku neram irukku...

Sureshs65
4th June 2010, 03:02 PM
kiru,

Yes. Ravi writes lot of good stuff, both on Raja and also about technology in 'Solvanam. Surprised how you missed him earlier.

BTW, here is another nice blog to follow. That of Raj. He is starting a series of classic dance numbers of Raja. You can check it at:

http://rajamanjari.blogspot.com/2010/06/natana-raaja-part-i.html

The additional incentive is Raj quoting a very nice Arunagirinathar's poem.

tvsankar
4th June 2010, 06:09 PM
Suresh,
indha Ravi teacher 's Lesson - science madhiri...

previous syllabus - padikama onum puriyadhu.

so - previous syllabus - home work to me.

adhai padichu mudicha than - indha padam puriyum enaku.....

kameshratnam
4th June 2010, 06:30 PM
Rajaa's daughter is organising the show
Show to be inaugurated by music composer Ilayaraja and to be presided over by Director Bharathiraja, composer Uttam Singh, Lyricist Vaali. A fantastic 30 piece orchestra plays the Maestro's compositions live, on stage. With celebrity musicians and singers!

Event organized by: Ms. Bhavatharini Sabari

app_engine
4th June 2010, 07:30 PM
Nice link Sureshji!

Thank you!

And what an excellent article!!

krish244
4th June 2010, 09:04 PM
http://www.planetradiocity.com/musicreporter/celebrity-features-story.php?featureid=341&title=%E2%80%98No%20words%20can%20describe%20Ilaya raja%E2%80%99:%20Amitabh%20Bachchan

Artists about IR on his 67th b'day.

Anu Malik has copied so much in Viraasat that people (Karthik and Prasoon) think IR scored music for that movie :)

thanks,

Krishnan

thanks,

Krishnan

Sureshs65
4th June 2010, 10:21 PM
app,

Are you referring to Ravi's blog or Raj's blog? Actually both of them are quite good. Nice to see so many people analyzing Raja's work in depth. What I like is the movement by Ravi to get the focus on to Raja's post 90 work. I fully support it :)

app_engine
4th June 2010, 11:18 PM
Sureshji,

It's Ravi's (techno baroque) :-)

The other one (about nruththam) is way too technical for me to understand :-)

anegan
5th June 2010, 03:14 AM
A special TV program for Ilayaraja's birthday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zywe36sSv3U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ga1fKl9aoM&NR=1

Very interesting.

-Anegan

kameshratnam
5th June 2010, 07:32 AM
A special TV program for Ilayaraja's birthday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zywe36sSv3U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ga1fKl9aoM&NR=1

Very interesting.

-Anegan

What a pity...except captain tv did any of the channels bother

eagle
5th June 2010, 02:23 PM
நாங்களும் லிங்க் கொடுப்போம்ல !!

http://musicmavericks.blogspot.com/2005/12/pagal-nilavu-2-vaidehi-raman.html

rajasaranam
5th June 2010, 03:42 PM
ilaiyaraaja facebook page (run by Agilan of Agimusic) says:

"Composing for Hindi Movie 'Zada Zadati' by Sahitya Akademi Award winner Vishwas Patil"

Weird name. I dont know even how do we pronounce it right. I just hope it is not another B-grade-ish 'Chal Chalein'.

From Wikipedia page of that author: ZadaZadati (Novel about on the life of people who lost their homes in a governmental dam project)

its pronounced as 'jA dE jaduththi' as per tamil magazine Ananda vikatan. There is a two page interview of Raaja on this project.

Excerpts

"They say that music and arts have been globalised now. music and the instruments can get globalised but where is the power that creates that music? it resides deep in our soul. you just can't globalise that"

'Raaja has travelled for six days into Maharashtra to learn about the folk music and culture of Marata to compose for this movie'

'The movie is about the local cultures getting extinct adapted from a Sahitya Akademi winning novel by Vishwas patil'

Further Raaja has shared his travel experience observing many forms of local music in Maharashtra. The way he has shared those experiences we can see that he is in an envigoured state. sample this "There was a man dancing with a sword with four people standing around him. Each man holds a potato, onion and banana in their hands, knees or neck respectively. The man dancing rhythmically, cuts all the vegetables in single stroke within a flash of a second. Even a small mistake during this act will make the participants disabled. Such was the energy and speed which he exhibited. Can you globalise this?!! "

The Article goes on this like this in support of folk arts, awing at the way Marathis and western people are preserving their culutural values and arts, against the commercialisation of Arts & functions, ending with a wish to save tamil folk arts too.

If this project materialises and sees the light we can expect truly globalised Marathi music :D

Sureshs65
5th June 2010, 06:07 PM
RS,

Thanks for the details. I hope sincerely that the film makers are as good in their art as they are in their sincerity to folk arts. That was the problem with movie like 'Chal Chalein'. Good intentions alone may not suffice.

Nice to know Raja travelling to the interior of Maharashtra to listen to their folk music. I am sure his camphor brain must have already absorbed it and plotted ways to go beyond it while keeping the soul intact. I do hope this project takes off and completes well. I would love to hear the songs as well as the BGM. Let's see if our luck holds and the film releases!!!

Sureshs65
5th June 2010, 07:08 PM
eagle: naanga innum neraya link kodupomille :)

"The formative years of the brilliance was thus characterized by the early flashes of great promise before settling down into what came to be known as Ilayaraja's music. After showing his mettle on the artistic side, the sound started its battle on the commercial side of telugu film music. That too, with a war cry - "Eurekaaaa...". The year was 1983."

"Ilayaraja was in no mood of letting up dishing out one delectable tune after another, each melodious in its own right and each one memorable for its own reason. "abhilAsha" went on to become a milestone in each of the significant player's careers connected with the movie - K.S.Rama Rao, the producer, Kondandarami Reddy, the director, Veturi, the lyricist, and of course, Chiranjeevi - and the fellowship was forged. It is very befitting that most of the players involved with the movie were just starting out, early in their careers, with a burning desire to try something different and with a raging fire to make a mark. And make a mark, they certainly did. More than with anybody else, it is the association with Veturi that Ilayaraja's compositions would find a greater acceptance and universal appeal, im the scores of the movies to follow. That Veturi's words could cut both ways, commercially and aesthetically, found a fitting match in Ilayaraja's tunes, which are equally ambidextrous and equally engaging. For every 10 movies that Ilayaraja wielded the baton in Tamil, he scored for one movie in telugu. Again, as is the case of the current generation's cross pollinated composers who routinely rehash their hits in one language in another language, most of Raja's compositions were fairly original, sounding completely native and utterly divine."

Want to find out who wrote these words? Check out http://www.idlebrain.com/celeb/realstars/ilayaraja.html

This is for your weekend reading pleasure. And I mean it for this is a 10 part article on Illayaraja by Srinivas Kanchibhotla. He traces Illayaraja's entry into the Telugu music scene, setting up the historical context and then goes on to analyze Illayaraja's contribution to Telugu film music and his collaboration with directors like K Vishwanath and Vamshi. I also have a very similar view of Illayaraja having observed him for a long time from the Andhra side. Srinivas's writing is terrific as is his analysis of the songs.

So enjoy your weekend with some great reading.

crvenky
6th June 2010, 01:47 PM
[tscii:673889f58d]Raja's interview:
ராஜா... இப்போது உக்கிரத்தின் உச்சத்தில்!

''இசையும் கலையும் உலகமயமாகிடுச்சுன்னு சொல்றாங்க. இசையும் இசைக்கான கருவிகளும் உலகமயமாகலாம். அந்த இசையை உருவாக்கும் சக்தியின் இடம் எது? அது உள்ளுக்குள் ஆன்மாவில் இருக்கிறது. அந்தச் சக்தியை யாராலும் உலகமயமாக்க முடியாது'' - கண்மணிகள் உருள்கின்றன.

'ஜா டே ஜடுத்தி' என்ற இந்திப் படத்துக்கு இளையராஜாதான் இசை. இந்தியாவின் முன்னணி எழுத்தாளர்களில் ஒருவரான விஸ்வாஸ் பாட்டீல் எழுதி, சாகித்ய அகாடமி விருதுபெற்ற கதை இது. இந்தப் படம், மாறி வரும் கிராமிய நடனக் கலைகளைப்பற்றியது. இதற்காக மகாராஷ்டிராவின் பூர்வீக இசை மற்றும் நடனக் கலைகள்பற்றி ஆறு நாட்கள் பயணம் செய்து நேரடியŁக அறிந்து வந்திருக்கிறார் ராஜா.

''பாரம்பரியக் கலை வடிவங்களை எப்படிக் காப்பாற்றுவது என மராட்டிய மக்களிடம்தான் கற்றுக்கொள்ள வேண்டும். இசையும் நடனமும் இணைந்த கலவையில் தங்களின் பண்பாடு, கலாசாரம், வீரம், சோகம், பக்தி என அத்தனை உணர்ச்சிகளையும் அழகாகச் சொல்கிறார்கள். அனைத்தும் அவர்களின் வாழ்க்கையை ஒட்டியே இருக்கின்றன. ஆதிகாலத்தின் போர் முறையைச் சொல்லும் நடனம் என்னை பிரமிக்கச் செய்தது. போரின்போது மனித சக்தி அதிகம் செலவாகாமல், போர் புரிய வேண்டும். அதேபோல அதிக சக்தி செலவாகாமல், ஆனால் பார்க்க மிக எனர்ஜியான நடனம் ஆடினார்கள். கத்தியைச் சுழற்றி வீசி ஆடுபவர் நடுவில் இருக்கிறார். அவரைச் சுற்றி நான்கு பேர்... ஒருவரின் முழங்காலில் வெங்காயம், இன்னொருவரின் உள்ளங்கையில் உருளைக்கிழக்கு, சாய்ந்து படுத்திருக்கும் ஒருவரின் கழுத்தில் வாழைப்பழம். என்ன நடக்கப் போகிறது என்று ஆவலாகப் பார்த்துக்கொண்டு இருக்கும்போதே, ரிதமிக்காக ஆடிக்கொண்டே கண் இமைக்கும் நேரத்தில் வெங்காயம், உருளைக்கிழங்கு, வாழைப்பழம் மூன்றையும் துண்டு துண்டாக வாளால் வெட்டுகிறார். வாள் சுழற்றும் வேகத்தில் உடல் மீது லேசாகப் பட்டாலும் ஆறு மாதங்களுக்கு எழ முடியாது. அப்படி ஒருவேகம், வீச்சு. இந்த எனர்ஜியை 'குளோப லைஸ்' பண்ண முடியுமா?

சதாரா செல்லும் நெடுஞ்சாலையில் மாமரங்கள் நிறைந்த ஒரு தோப்பில், பழங்காலத்து நடனக் கலைகளை ஆடிக்கொண்டு இருக்கிறது ஒரு குழு. நவீன யுகத்தின் பாதிப்பு சிறிதும் இல்லாமல் ஆர்மோனியம், டோல்கி, லசிம் போன்ற பாரம்பரிய இசைக் கருவிகளை வைத்துக்கொண்டு கொஞ்சம்கூட சினிமா இசையின் பாதிப்பு இல்லாமல் ஆடுகிறார்கள். அவர்கள் அனைவரும் சத்ரபதி சிவாஜியின் வாரிசுகள். கலைக்காகவே தங்களின் வாழ்வை அர்ப்பணித்தவர்கள்.

என் பயணத்தின் இறுதி நாளில் பாலே நடனம் போன்ற ஒன்றைக் கண்டேன். நிகழ்ச்சி ஒரு மேடையில்தான் நடந்தது. ஆனால், கேரளப் படகுப் போட்டி முதல், மீனவனின் நடனம் வரை அனைத்தையும் அப்படியே கண் முன்னால் கொண்டுவந்தது, கலை ரசனையின் உச்சம். மகாராஷ்டிராவின் ஒரு குக்கிராமத்தில் இந்தக் கலையை நிகழ்த்துபவர் யார் என விசாரித்தால், மும்பைப் பல்கலைக்கழகம் ஒன்றின் தொல்லியல் துறைத் தலைவர். அவர்களுக்கு இருக்கும் ஆர்வம் ஏன் நம் ஆட்களுக்கு வரவில்லை?

மேல் நாட்டில் பாலே டான்ஸ், ஓபராய், சிம்பொனி, பாப், ஜாஸ் என அந்த நாட்டுக் கலைகள் எல்லாம் வளர்ந்துகொண்டே இருக்கின்றன. ஏனெனில், அவை அவர்களுக்குக் கட்டாயப் பாடம் ஆக்கப்பட்டு இருக்கிறது. அங்கு 87 சிம்பொனி ஆர்கெஸ்ட்ரா இன்னும் இயங்கி வருகிறது. ஆனால், நம் தமிழ்க் கலைகளின் நிலைமை?

மயிலாட்டம், ஒயிலாட்டம், பொம்மலாட்டம், தேவராட்டம், கோலாட்டம், பா¬வக் கூத்து, உடுக்குப் பாட்டு, கும்மிப் பாட்டு என நம்மிடம் 300 வகையான கிராமியக் கலைகள் இருந்தன. இப்போது அங்கொன்றும் இங்கொன்றுமாக 50 கலைகள் மட்டும் ஒரு சிலரின் சொந்த முயற்சியில் உயிர் வாழ்கின்றன. நலிந்துபோன கலைகளைக் கஷ்டப்பட்டுக் காப்பாற்றுபவர்கள், தங்கள் பிள்ளைகளாவது வேறு நல்ல வேலைக்குப் போக வேண்டும் என்றுதான் ஏங்குகிறார்கள். அந்த அளவுக்கு வருமானம் இல்லை. இந்த மாதிரியான கலைகளுக்கு உயிர் கொடுக்கவும், அவற்றை மக்களிடம் எடுத்துச் செல்லவும் நம்மிடம் போதுமான ஆற்றலும் திறமையும் இருக்கிறது. ஆனால் யாரும் செய்வது இல்லை. நம் ஊரில் என்ன நடக்கிறது? பிரமாண்ட மேடைகள் அமைத்து, அதில் அரைகுறை ஆடை அணிந்த சினிமா நடிகைகளை அழைத்து ஆடவிடுகிறார்கள். சினிமா விழாவில் அப்படி நடந்தால்கூடப் பரவாயில்லை. மற்ற விழாக்களிலும் இந்த ஆபாச நடனம் நடந்தால் நம் பாரம்பரியக் கலைகள் எப்படி வளரும்?

இந்தியில் 'சாணக்கியா' என்ற மிகப் புகழ்பெற்ற தொடரின் இயக்குநர் சந்திரபிரகாஷ், 'சிலப்பதிகாரம் கதையை இந்தியில் எடுக்கப்போகிறேன். அதைப்பற்றிய ஆராய்ச்சி நூல்களைக் கொடுத்து உதவுங்கள்' என்று என்னைக் கேட்டார். 'என்னை விட, எல்லோரையும்விட சிலப்பதிகாரம் பற்றி அதிகம் தெரிந்தவர் முதல்வர் கருணாநிதிதான்' என்று சொல்லி முதல்வரைச் சந்திக்கச் சொன்னேன். ஓர் இந்திக்காரர் சிலப்பதிகாரத்தின் மீது ஆர்வம் காட்டுகிறார். ஆனால், நாம் மறந்துவிட்டோம்.

நான் திருவாசகம் இசை உருவாக்குவதற்கு முன்பு தமிழகக் கலைகளை மையமாகவைத்து இதுபோன்ற ஒரு நிகழ்ச்சியைச் செய்ய வேண்டும் என்ற ஆர்வம் இருந்தது. பொருளாதாரமும் நேரமும் ஒத்துழைக்கவில்லை. தமிழர்களின் பாரம்பரியக் கலைகளைக் காப்பாற்ற வேண்டும். அவை ஆயிரமாயிரம் ஆண்டு தமிழர் பண்பாட்டின் அடையாளங்கள்!''
[/tscii:673889f58d]

kiru
7th June 2010, 07:43 AM
ha..is harmonium our traditional instrument ? !!! :-)

rajasaranam
7th June 2010, 05:29 PM
Innoru linku

http://www.athishaonline.com/2010/06/blog-post.html

எனக்கு சில வருடங்கள் முன்புவரை இளையராஜாவை வெறும் மொக்கை இசைமையப்பளராகவும் , வெறும் டப்பாங்குத்து , கிராமத்துப்பாட்டுக்காரன் என்கிற அளவில்தான் பரிச்சயம். என் இசை அறிவு சூன்யம். ஏ.ஆர்.ரஹ்மானே என்னுடைய ஆதர்சனம். எப்போதும் பூங்காற்றிலே உன் சுவாசத்தில், மூழ்கி கிடப்பேன். ரஹ்மானின் துள்ளலில் ஊர்வசி ஊர்வசி டேக் இட் ஈஸி ஊர்வசி என்று தலைசுழல ஆடிக்கொண்டிருப்பேன். இளையராஜா ரசிகர்களிடமும் சண்டையிட்டிருக்கிறேன். என்னையா பெரிய புடலங்கா இளையராஜா அவரால ரஹ்மான் மாதிரி பாலிவுட்டுல கலக்க முடிஞ்சுதா? உலக இசைனா தெரியுமா.. எப்ப பார்த்தாலும் டன்டனக்க டனக்குனக்கா தானே! என்று ஏளனம் பேசியிருக்கிறேன். உண்மையில் இளையராஜா விவாதப்பொருளல்ல உணர்வு என்பது அப்போது எனக்கு தெரிந்திருக்கவில்லை. அதை உணர இயலாத வயதும் காரணமாய் இருந்திருக்கலாம்.

:thumbsup:

Sureshs65
7th June 2010, 05:39 PM
RS,

Hmmm. One more convert :D

anegan
7th June 2010, 05:48 PM
RS,

Just as it tool a long time for Raaja fans to accept ARR.
-Venki

Plum
7th June 2010, 07:56 PM
நம் ஊரில் என்ன நடக்கிறது? பிரமாண்ட மேடைகள் அமைத்து, அதில் அரைகுறை ஆடை அணிந்த சினிமா நடிகைகளை அழைத்து ஆடவிடுகிறார்கள். சினிமா விழாவில் அப்படி நடந்தால்கூடப் பரவாயில்லை. மற்ற விழாக்களிலும் இந்த ஆபாச நடனம் நடந்தால் நம் பாரம்பரியக் கலைகள் எப்படி வளரும்?

idhaiyum mudhalvar kittE redirect paNNi irukkalAmE? avar vizhAla dhAnE perumbAlum ipdi nadakkudhu?

Plum
7th June 2010, 07:57 PM
Globalisation is fine but claims that previous music was local and worthless or monotonous, and by globalising someone has done unprecedented quality stuff-nu Obi adikkaradhu dhAn nauseating.

NormalMan
7th June 2010, 08:17 PM
Who is this? V.S. Narasimhan?

http://www.images.behindwoods.com/photo-galleries-q1-09/tamil-photo-gallery/ilayaraja-02/ilayaraja-20.html

svarman
7th June 2010, 09:01 PM
http://beta.thehindu.com/arts/music/article448914.ece?homepage=true

suren

Sanjeevi
7th June 2010, 11:14 PM
<dig>
http://charuonline.com/blog/?p=594

anybody seen the mentioned Neeya Naana programme on May 30? How was it? I mean eppadi intha Cha-Ni kummankuthu vAngunaru :lol:

Intha maathiri namma IR (paa) matterlayum ethAvathu pannanumE
</dig>

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
7th June 2010, 11:37 PM
<dig>
http://charuonline.com/blog/?p=594

anybody seen the mentioned Neeya Naana programme on May 30? How was it? I mean eppadi intha Cha-Ni kummankuthu vAngunaru :lol:

Intha maathiri namma IR (paa) matterlayum ethAvathu pannanumE
</dig> very simpil :lol: its the trick of gopinath, he repeatedly said, " unga website ai padikkum latchakanakkaana vaasagargal ungalaala nithyananda vai nambi emanthangale? ithu thappillaya" as expected, saaru got over excited( internally) about hearing the word latchakanakkaana vaasagargal and happily apologised, which he only later found out too insulting for him!!!

app_engine
8th June 2010, 12:06 AM
வாலிக்கு பவதாரணி இசையில் பாட்டெழுத ஆசையாம் (http://www.dinamani.com/edition/story.aspx?SectionName=Cinema&artid=252771&SectionID=141&MainSectionID=141&SEO=&Title=)

eagle
8th June 2010, 12:36 AM

http://www.images.behindwoods.com/photo-galleries-q1-09/tamil-photo-gallery/ilayaraja-02/ilayaraja-20.html

அவர் பிரபாகர்... நரசிம்மன் அல்ல ... இவரும் ஒரு வயலினிஸ்ட் தான்... nothing but wind நோட்ஸை ராஜா தொலைத்து விட்டதால் (என்ன அக்கிரமம்) இவர் இசைத்தொகுப்பை கேட்டே நோட்ஸை எழுதி ராஜாவிடம் பாராட்டு பெற்றார்... வழக்கம் போல சில குற்றங்களையும் ராஜா கண்டு பிடிக்கதவறவில்லை ( இதுல எல்லாம் குறைச்சல் இல்ல... நோட்ஸ மட்டும் தொலச்சிருங்க என்று தோன்றியது)

eagle
8th June 2010, 12:38 AM
ஐயோ கைவசம் ஒரு லிங்கும் இல்லையே.. பேசாம லிங்குசாமி கிட்ட கேக்கலாமா?

eagle
8th June 2010, 12:43 AM
RS,

Just as it tool a long time for Raaja fans to accept ARR.
-Venki

சத்தியமான வார்த்தை... எத்தன வருஷம் கழிச்சு திருடா திருடா / புதியமுகம் CD வாங்கி கேட்டேன் நேற்று... ஆனா கொடுமை LP ரெகார்ட் மாதிரி இருக்கு CD ... திரும்ப திரும்ப வருது சில வரிகள், இசை துணுக்குகள் :-(

jaiganes
8th June 2010, 06:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUF5WnO4rd8
nice carnatic analysis of Raaja's Vedham nee.

Devaraagam
8th June 2010, 10:10 AM

VS Narassiam is a violinst, worked wiht Raja and done a music for Achammillai Achammillai and one aravind samy acted movie ...

most of the people assume that achammillai achammillai is done by IR..which is wrong

actually, those days there was a belief that when the song is good then it was composed by Raja

example: achamillai achamiallai, vedham pudithu and few movies composed by gangai amaran.

Devaraagam
8th June 2010, 10:13 AM
எத்தன வருஷம் கழிச்சு திருடா திருடா / புதியமுகம் CD வாங்கி கேட்டேன் நேற்று... ஆனா கொடுமை LP ரெகார்ட் மாதிரி இருக்கு CD ... திரும்ப திரும்ப வருது சில வரிகள், இசை துணுக்குகள் :-(

Eagle it is because of the of Magna sound and Lahari companies.they never produced good quality of cds.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
8th June 2010, 10:35 AM
அவர் பிரபாகர்... நரசிம்மன் அல்ல ... இவரும் ஒரு வயலினிஸ்ட் தான்... nothing but wind நோட்ஸை ராஜா தொலைத்து விட்டதால் (என்ன அக்கிரமம்) இவர் இசைத்தொகுப்பை கேட்டே நோட்ஸை எழுதி ராஜாவிடம் பாராட்டு பெற்றார்... வழக்கம் போல சில குற்றங்களையும் ராஜா கண்டு பிடிக்கதவறவில்லை ( இதுல எல்லாம் குறைச்சல் இல்ல... நோட்ஸ மட்டும் தொலச்சிருங்க என்று தோன்றியது)

eagle,
mr.prabakar could have cross checked the notes becos hissingle person's error reflects on the whole orchestra. oruthar thappa vasicha ok. but whole violin troop sila notes different from original a vaasicha its surely notes error thaan.

thalaivar irukkura notes ellaam ( ethaachum irukaa?!?) computerise panna sollanum, but oru sila scores tholainthu ponaal avar enna pannuvaar paavam?

Punnaimaran
8th June 2010, 01:28 PM

VS Narassiam is a violinst, worked wiht Raja and done a music for Achammillai Achammillai and one aravind samy acted movie ...

most of the people assume that achammillai achammillai is done by IR..which is wrong

actually, those days there was a belief that when the song is good then it was composed by Raja

example: achamillai achamiallai, vedham pudithu and few movies composed by gangai amaran.

Arvind Samy movie is Paasa Malargal.

Plum
8th June 2010, 03:34 PM
வாலிக்கு பவதாரணி இசையில் பாட்டெழுத ஆசையாம் (http://www.dinamani.com/edition/story.aspx?SectionName=Cinema&artid=252771&SectionID=141&MainSectionID=141&SEO=&Title=)
Her Amirtham was a very good album.

Sureshs65
9th June 2010, 12:51 AM
Jai,

Thanks for the link. I have seen his posts at yahoo group. He sings quite well and explains well. Hope he posts more of these.

Sanjeevi
9th June 2010, 01:00 AM

ungalukku Yuvana mattum pudikkathO :P

Sanjeevi
9th June 2010, 01:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hbtc_uumQDc&feature=player_embedded

4th gen raaja fan?

K
9th June 2010, 06:56 AM
How To Name It?
http://solvanam.com/?p=5150

Plum
9th June 2010, 01:38 PM

I am kind of not very into Yuvan. It may be his style - his brother and sister(albeit on the basis of just one album) have more of IR style in them, which obviously makes a difference to my perception.

There are a few albums of his I cherish, though, and some of them are not so much in IR style. My picks would be

nandhA, Pattiyal, 7G, kAdhal sAmrAjyam, mounam pesudhae.

Devaraagam
9th June 2010, 09:07 PM

I am kind of not very into Yuvan. It may be his style - his brother and sister(albeit on the basis of just one album) have more of IR style in them, which obviously makes a difference to my perception.

There are a few albums of his I cherish, though, and some of them are not so much in IR style. My picks would be

nandhA, Pattiyal, 7G, kAdhal sAmrAjyam, mounam pesudhae.

plum, I am with you on Yuvan. I like his work on Pattiyal, 7g, daas, azhagai irukirai bhayamai irukirathu,punnagai poovae and rerecording of pudhu pettai.

Sanjeevi
9th June 2010, 10:06 PM

This is the best appreciation for Yuvan so far :)

Sureshs65
10th June 2010, 01:39 AM
Was watching the Malayalam Idea Star Singer today. One of the singers sang 'ninnu kori varnam'. Sarath, who is one of the judges remarked, "I was not seeing you nor was I seeing this set. The only thing visible to me was Raja sir. What a composition and what orchestration." He then went on to relate how he had once travelled with Raja in a flight along with Chitra and others. He said that people were so scared of Raja that they would find it difficult to laugh even when Raja cracked some jokes!!!

raj_musing
10th June 2010, 08:49 AM
Suresh,

I have seen contestants singing this song in many other channels as well,and whenever they sing,the judges always have alot to say about the orchestra setting and about Raja.Such is the impact of this song.
As someone pointed out long back..The first MTV-isation of Indian music...a true trend setter song,in all aspects.

Dragun
10th June 2010, 10:24 AM
Any news on Nandalala? Or is this film indefinitely shelved?

Plum
10th June 2010, 04:38 PM

This is the best appreciation for Yuvan so far :)

:-). enakkenna thambiyOda virOdhamA? enakku perusA pudikkala avLO dhAn. thambi nallA vaLarattum :-)

eagle
11th June 2010, 04:36 PM
கொண்டுவந்தேன் ஒரு லிங்கு !! :)
http://pitchaipathiram.blogspot.com/2010/06/blog-post_11.html

Sureshs65
11th June 2010, 09:54 PM
Nice link eagle. So 'Linguswamy' helped you? :D

K
13th June 2010, 01:29 PM
http://thamizhkadal.blogspot.com/

has some snaps of Raja in Vaali's Book release function

kameshratnam
14th June 2010, 04:00 PM
http://thamizhkadal.blogspot.com/

has some snaps of Raja in Vaali's Book release function

இசைக் கடவுளோடு

TAKE A BOW FROM ALL OF US NELLAI KANNAN SIR............ :ty: :ty: :ty: :ty:

app_engine
14th June 2010, 09:52 PM
[tscii:a8ad883fc1]While the interviewer questions about ARR's contribution to MR films, it's nice to see that MR drags IR's name and acknowledges his contribution as well :-)

You gave Bollywood AR Rahman with Roja and he went on to fascinate the world. How much would you say you have contributed to his success?
My contribution to his career is very little, almost nothing. A talent like his would have emerged in any case. It just happened to be with Roja. That is one of those good coincidences.

• And what is his contribution to your films?
I depend quite a bit on music for my films. Whether it was Ilayaraja who has done a lot of films for me or Rahman, their contribution to my films is enormous. A lot of my films are underlined by music, sometimes it could be against the content of the scene too but they are able to score something different and add another text to the scene. Without their music as their background my films would not be the same.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Entertainment/Bollywood/News-Interviews/I-love-mindless-entertainers-Mani-Ratnam/articleshow/6045719.cms
[/tscii:a8ad883fc1]

kameshratnam
15th June 2010, 05:23 PM
[tscii:c65378a30d]While the interviewer questions about ARR's contribution to MR films, it's nice to see that MR drags IR's name and acknowledges his contribution as well :-)

You gave Bollywood AR Rahman with Roja and he went on to fascinate the world. How much would you say you have contributed to his success?
My contribution to his career is very little, almost nothing. A talent like his would have emerged in any case. It just happened to be with Roja. That is one of those good coincidences.

I depend quite a bit on music for my films. Whether it was Ilayaraja who has done a lot of films for me or Rahman, their contribution to my films is enormous. A lot of my films are underlined by music, sometimes it could be against the content of the scene too but they are able to score something different and add another text to the scene. Without their music as their background my films would not be the same.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Entertainment/Bollywood/News-Interviews/I-love-mindless-entertainers-Mani-Ratnam/articleshow/6045719.cms
[/tscii:c65378a30d]

Time will never wait for anyone.. I tell you under the deep portion of his heart Maniratnam still wants to work with Ilayaraaja but i guess IR does not want to

raagas
15th June 2010, 05:51 PM
[tscii:227b3a8859]While the interviewer questions about ARR's contribution to MR films, it's nice to see that MR drags IR's name and acknowledges his contribution as well :-)

[/tscii:227b3a8859]

A lot of IR fans started disliking Maniratnam after 1992, for reasons obvious. I always found it weird. This should be read by them.

tvsankar
15th June 2010, 06:28 PM
This is also like an Award.......

IR kooda work panninavanga - Nalla irundhavanga - IR ai praise panna vendam.

Avar work ai nenachinda podhum.... adhu Yaranga irundhalum.....

IR - Vangina Salary um solla sollunga.........

This is IR........... Andha period aga vae irundhalum.....

raagas
16th June 2010, 03:45 PM
Didnt know where to Post this one: Milliblog Karthik treats a recent song as a tribute to Ilaiyaraaja: http://itwofs.com/milliblog/2010/06/16/feasting-on-paniye-from-thamans-ayyanar/
Very interesting article.

raagas
17th June 2010, 04:44 PM
Mani Ratnam's band of fine men - http://movies.rediff.com/slide-show/2010/jun/17/slide-show-1-south-mani-ratnams-crew.htm

The 1st in the list is Ilaiyaraaja.

Excerpt: The songs themselves were sensuous, enthusiastic or sorrowful, fully taking in the situation and turning them into focal points of the movies. It wouldn't be possible to list all the songs he composed but it's true that Ilaiyaraja's sensitive notes completed a Mani Ratnam movie experience.

Fliflo
17th June 2010, 08:29 PM
raagas,

ithu avanga sollithaan theriyanuma enna? Ulagarinja unmai.

raj_musing
19th June 2010, 07:08 PM
Recording scene from Happi? If yes really Happy!

http://hindi.filmychai.com/Ilaiyaraja-Creates-Happi-Magic/gossips/videoview/440/index.html

raagas
21st June 2010, 01:42 PM
raagas,

ithu avanga sollithaan theriyanuma enna? Ulagarinja unmai.

Meaning? (i dont know tamil)

Fliflo
21st June 2010, 06:46 PM
Sorry..This is what I intended to say..

It is a world known fact that IR's music gave life to MR's movies. Rediff's reference on this fact is just immaterial and we all knew that fact quite well.

raagas
22nd June 2010, 11:05 AM
Sorry..This is what I intended to say..

It is a world known fact that IR's music gave life to MR's movies. Rediff's reference on this fact is just immaterial and we all knew that fact quite well.

Actually not completely right. For many people in North India, Mani Ratnam means Roja and subsequent films. A few film connoisseurs know his body of work completely, but not everyone. So, in a way, it is good that some journalist reiterates the fact that IR's music did add life to his films.

Fliflo
22nd June 2010, 06:47 PM
Raagas,

Your point taken :-))))

best
Fliflo

Sureshs65
22nd June 2010, 10:58 PM
Just now saw Vijay Awards function on TV as my Home Minister was watching it. The'Most Favourite' Music Director tag went to Vijay Antony for 'Vettaikaran'. He said that he is dedicating this award to his 'manaseeka' Guru, Illayaraja. He said that if he were to win any more awards those also would be dedicated to Isaignani.

Not because he said this about Raja, but the songs of 'Vettaikaran' were a real hit and he deserved the 'favourite' tag.

Fliflo
23rd June 2010, 09:06 PM
கேள்வி: பிரபலமாவதற்காக சாருநிவேதிதா போன்ற சில எழுத்தாளர்கள் மற்ற கலைஞர்களைக் குறை கூறி விமர்சனம் செய்கிறார்கள் என்றக் குற்றச்சாட்டு பற்றி என்ன நினைக்கிறீர்கள் ?

பவா: சாருநிவேதிதாவோட படைப்புகள் மீது எனக்கு நிறைய கருத்து வேறுபாடுகள் இருக்கு. ஆனா இளையராஜாவை விமர்சனம் பண்ணது சரிதான். விமர்சனத்தில் சில அதிரடி வார்த்தைகள சொல்லியிருந்தாரு. சாருநிவேதா சொன்னது தப்புன்னு ஆளாளுக்கு கண்டிச்சாங்க. ஆனா சாருநிவேதாவை விட, இசை விமர்சகர் ஷாஜி இளையராஜாவை அதிகமாவே விமர்சனம் செய்ததைப் பார்த்து எதுவுமே சொல்லாம மவுனமாகிட்டாங்க. இதுக்கு என்ன சொல்றீங்க. சினிமாவுலகில் இளையராஜாவைப் பத்தி சொல்ல பயப்படறாங்க. ஆனா சாருநிவேதா பயப்படாம சொல்லிட்டாருன்னு தான் நான் நினைக்கறன்.

http://ilakkiyam.nakkheeran.in/Grammar.aspx?GRM=41

app_engine
23rd June 2010, 09:28 PM
என்னது, மவுனமாகிட்டாங்களாமா?

இவங்களுக்கெல்லாம் செலக்டிவ் அம்னீஷியா பிரச்னை இருக்கு. ஷாஜியை அவரது நண்பர் ஜெயமோகனே கிழித்துப்போட்டாரே? ஒருவேளை இவங்களுக்கு அவரைத்தெரியாதோ? அல்லது நடிக்கிறாங்களா?

ஏதோ சினிமாக்காரங்களையெல்லாம் மிரட்டி வச்சிரிக்கற தாதா மாதிரி ராசாவைப்பற்றி சொல்றாங்களே, இதை விடப்பெரிய காமெடி எங்காவது இருக்க முடியுமா?

tvsankar
23rd June 2010, 09:36 PM
app,
idha dhan chumma vida kudadhu.

blog layum, thread layum - indha Charu and Shaji yai

IR fans - Complaint pannina site links ellam

anga sollunga ..............

tvsankar
23rd June 2010, 09:38 PM
Ipo dhan IR ai ellarum purinjukitu varanga.
adhai avangalai spoil panra madhiri
comments ...........

Idhana ellam - Raajavai - kanama poga seiya mudiyadhu.............

pongada..........

app_engine
23rd June 2010, 09:58 PM
விடுங்க உஷாக்கா, விவரங்கெட்ட இதுங்களையெல்லாம் ரொம்ப கண்டுக்க வேண்டிய அவசியமில்லை :-)

kameshratnam
24th June 2010, 12:21 PM
Vijay Anthony:

God bless u sir

Sureshs65
24th June 2010, 11:01 PM
Lyricist Muthulingam is doing the 'tirumbhi parkiren' program in Jaya TV. I think it will run till tomorrow. I caught it at the very fag end. He was mentioning how Raja not only knew music but knew about Tamil literature as well. He ended up saying that people like him praise Raja because of his all round knowledge. Must watch tomorrow.