PDA

View Full Version : What was the Last Ilaiyaraja song you listened to? - Part 2.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

ajithfederer
20th January 2010, 01:32 AM
Continued from Part 1 (http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=12979)

The same idea as it is in the other existing sections. Hubbers please quote the last Ilaiyaraaja song that they have listened. Let's continue to discuss and enjoy Raaja sir's songs in the future and let this place be a frontal point of this section. A big :clap: to all the contributors from the 1st thread. Expecting more in the future and also awaiting new hubbers in this place .

The last song I listened was as part of the Erotica discussion is Maasi Masam aalana ponnu from Dharma durai.

tvsankar
20th January 2010, 02:32 AM
Engae Nee Sendralum - Kannukullae

Great violin works. very nice Lyrics.....

Thanimaiyilum yar thunai
Ninaivugalil yar thunai
Ulagil endha moolaiyil irupinum
pidithenai izhuthu varum

Ennenna kolam mannil
thala layam ondru dhan
enaku adhu thevai ilai
nadha vasam naaan

ajithfederer
20th January 2010, 08:03 AM
விக்ரம் விக்ரம் (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWK7szRdbrE)

இந்த பாடலை யுடியுப்-இல் அப்லோட் செய்த ஆர்குட் மெம்பர் கார்த்திக் அவர்களுக்கு நன்றி.

Sureshs65
20th January 2010, 10:32 AM
Usha,

I was also listening to the same song yesterday. Infact I was listening to the songs from 'Madhiya Chennai' and 'Kannukulle'. I have to agree that the singer selection in some of the songs is probably not the best. The female singer in this song has no clue about Tamil and when she sings the 'viLakuvadhu viLakallavA' line it is sheer chaos!! Inspite of that, this is an excellent tune. So is 'Puthu Pournami'. Two superb numbers.

raagas
20th January 2010, 03:56 PM
The last IR song i listened to is a very rare telugu song. It is from an obscure telugu film called "Pattudhala". And the song is "Eppudoo Oppukovaddhu Ra Otami", a song sung by Yesudas and brilliantly written by Sirivennela Seetharama Sasthry.
Ilaiyaraaja did a terrific job in this song. I think this song/film came in 1989-90-91 period. The sound of the song (guitar sound, strings sound, etc) is little closer to the ones in Nirnayam.

tvsankar
20th January 2010, 05:25 PM
The last IR song i listened to is a very rare telugu song. It is from an obscure telugu film called "Pattudhala". And the song is "Eppudoo Oppukovaddhu Ra Otami", a song sung by Yesudas and brilliantly written by Sirivennela Seetharama Sasthry.
Ilaiyaraaja did a terrific job in this song. I think this song/film came in 1989-90-91 period. The sound of the song (guitar sound, strings sound, etc) is little closer to the ones in Nirnayam.

Link pl raagas...

raagas
20th January 2010, 05:37 PM
Unfortunately, it is not available online anywhere Usha.
Since it is a very rare song, I would like post a link from where hubbers can download this song: http://rapidshare.com/files/123965602/Pattudala-aYeppudoo_OppukoVaddhuraa_Pattudhala.mp3

I hope people here dont mind me posting a download link.It is really a rare song and cds/tapes of this film are no longer available.

tvsankar
20th January 2010, 06:08 PM
raagas,
Song kedaikalai. adhan kaeten.

sorry for the thanglish.

Thanks for the downloadning link.

am hearing the song.....
dono telugu raagas.
so cant understand the lyrics.
but enjoyed the tune.

SUNDARA TELUGU.. very true......

Sureshs65
20th January 2010, 06:40 PM
raagas,

Thanks for the song. Never heard this before and never knew such a movie existed!! Any idea about the star cast and if it was a dubbed movie or not? Sirivennela does a nice job as usual.

Someone was playing 'Eeramana Rojave' in my house and I laughed out loud thinking of app_eng when the words 'thaneeril muzhgadu..' came up :D

raagas
20th January 2010, 07:20 PM
dono telugu raagas.
so cant understand the lyrics.

SUNDARA TELUGU.. very true......

A very rough translation of the lyrics is here: http://thoughtflights.blogspot.com/2008/11/genius-of-sirivennela-seetaramashastri.html

raagas
20th January 2010, 07:28 PM
Suresh,

I think it was a direct film. The film also has one of those rare telugu songs sung by IR "Saarangi Saarangi" (IR did not sing many telugu songs).The film had Suman as hero.

And this "eppudoo oppukovaddhu ra otami" song was first written as poetry. IR then gave the tune to pre-written lyrics. I realized it after watching this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBgFa2BaRNs

Sirivennela sings this song in a totally different tune (composed by him i think) at a private gathering.

Previously i used to think that, atleast in Telugu films, because of language-knowledge barrier, IR ALWAYS came up with tune first and later lyrics were woven into the tune. But there are exceptions like these songs where he composed tune to pre-written lyrics. And did a superb job at that.

Plum
20th January 2010, 07:34 PM
raagas, there are two famous examples for pre-written lyrics - laali laali and nenu saitham?

jaiganes
20th January 2010, 09:18 PM
my daughter was at it again - she started singing out of the blue that delightful song 'Oru vaandu kootame dhayya dhayya' and I had to play that and nenu nenuga on the loop. My father who knows telugu now wants to teach her telugu after seeing the interest in singing telugu song

Sureshs65
20th January 2010, 09:43 PM
Jai,

It will be very good if your daughter learns Telugu, given that children pick up a language fast. Even otherwise, like many of us, she will pick up other languages if she is Raja fan :D And that has the additional advantage of picking up good music from other languages as well!!

Sureshs65
20th January 2010, 09:57 PM
Was listening to 'oLi tarum suriyanum' from Valmiki. The feeling of peace and hopefulness that Raja creates is beyond words. (The female singer's pronunciation is hopeless though.) The whole song is perfectly orchestrated to supplement this emotion of hope and there is certain calmness in the whole song.

The first interlude is almost like what he did for songs in Malayalam 'Guru', except that he tries some of it using the synth. The piano runs towards the end of charanam followed by the piano/keyboard solo is out of the world. I don't think anyone can criticize Raja's singing in this song.

Every song in Valmiki was a gem. Unfortunate that the film didn't do well. Still we need to thank the director for inspiring Raja with his story. Since its release I haven't found one Tamil album which can musically match this album in all aspects. Including Raja ones.

app_engine
20th January 2010, 11:08 PM
விழியிலே மலர்ந்தது, உயிரிலே கலந்தது (புவனா ஒரு கேள்விக்குறி) on repeat since last evening.

I've written earlier also about the love I have for this wonderful song. The free flowing flute, guitar and grand violin combo with thuLLal percussion.

Since we were discussing drums recently, there was some focus today and I strongly feel the percussion arrangements for this song is excellent by any standards (though the recording suffered the lack of technology in Chennai those days). Experts can confirm this - probably a 3 beat cycle. The catchy "sounds" are during the grand final interlude, where the boom-boom country drum plays like 1-2-3-1-2-3, among a huge bunch of violins:-)

There was some nostalgia as well. My town-citybred cousin was the main source for all TFM tidbits those days of my nAttuppuRa life. He was so animated in his description of this song, the recording etc and he mentioned "40 வயலின் ஒரே சமயத்தில கிராண்டா இருக்கும் பாரு" about the second interlude.

Well, it was my turn to repeat this to many at school and get thrilled to see the wide-open eyes! However, on one day, a new kid around the block shattered all this talk by phoo-phooing me saying "இது என்ன பெரிசு, 'எங்கே நிம்மதி'யில எழுபது வயலின் - தெரியுமா" :-)

app_engine
20th January 2010, 11:14 PM
The lyric by Panju Arunachalam is quite catchy in pallavi (there are movies made with titles 'uyirilE kalandhadhu' and 'vizhiyilE malarndhadhu' even). It's so-so elsewhere, some portion even bordering on vulgarity. I was just curious to see whether the girl on screen fits at least some of the description (if not all).

நீங்க என்ன நினைக்கிறீங்க?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjG_ea00_0I

:-)

Sanjeevi
20th January 2010, 11:26 PM
is not same type of rthym for both "KanmaniyE kadhal Enbathu" and "ViliyilE malarnthathu"?

brand IR :cool:

Shank
21st January 2010, 05:37 AM
One of my favorite songs is "Poonthendral Kaatre Vaa" from Manjal Nila (1982). What a terrific song...superb tune!! It's a beautiful composition with a touch of melancholy underlying the entire song. I love the stanza negotiations and the melody progression in this track...and as with most songs from that time, the guitar work is stunning!! The usage of flute, guitar and Sax in this song is phenomenal. I also like the fact that there are a lot of folk motifs intermingled in the song. Of course, Jayachandran and Susheela are perfect for this song.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00350.html

raja_fan
21st January 2010, 12:58 PM
Shank,

I agree.."poonthendral kaare..." will be one of the kind of songs that younger generations ( even old ) need to be exposed to understand the genius of IR !
It will also break the popular myth that experimentations with sounds came after IR era..

raja_fan
21st January 2010, 01:38 PM
Shank,

I agree.."poonthendral kaare..." will be one of the kind of songs that younger generations ( even old ) need to be exposed to understand the genius of IR !
It will also break the popular myth that experimentations with sounds came after IR era..

Sureshs65
21st January 2010, 04:04 PM
app_eng and Shank,

Two evergreen songs. If a MD had half a dozen songs like this, his immortality would have been guaranteed. Raja has hundreds of them!!!

jaiganes
21st January 2010, 05:13 PM
Random search as usual with raaja songs results in a gem in hand to hang on to for days to come...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jObkG-rNsrQ

Arre kamali kamali from bhoomi geethe.
A song i had overlooked all these days - hits me back at my ignorance...
Whatta song. True that the live violins would have added more colour - but the first interlude is on par with any new age instrumental stuff and the second interlude is packed with very nice tribal drums.
Now to the song and the singing - can there be any more softer singing of this song - SPB charan's rendition is so velvetty - and who has sung the female vocal - nice voice there too and the tune is magical...

Sureshs65
21st January 2010, 09:29 PM
Jai,

I think the female singer for 'kamali kamali' is Sunitha. That album had SPB Charan and this lady singing most of the song. One song has the Raja version and an Unnikrishnan version.

I had bought this tape when the movie was released. Gave it to a friend of mine asking him to listen to this. As it generally happens, never got back the tape. 'nodirava nodirava', 'kamali kamali', 'goro gorukana' and two more songs. Lovely album.

Plum
21st January 2010, 09:38 PM
Suresh, one of the other two would be aa dEvaralli mAduvA

Sureshs65
21st January 2010, 10:48 PM
Plum,

You are right. The other one is a group song which happens right in the beginning of the movie. My pick of the movie is 'nodirave'. The music and the picturization go hand in hand showing that the director worked very closely with Raja.

app_engine
21st January 2010, 11:44 PM
Back to MMKR. One of the most talked about movies in the hub. One interesting aspect of the movie is not wasting a single shot - even in the seemingly dragging 3 scenes (fixing the car while running, toilet saNdai and climax) lot of interesting things are packed.

So is the title song, which would have been a long flash back (or long series of initial scenes) in prior age masAlAs. Not in this movie, which packs all that stuff plus titles within a few minutes.

So much happens on the screen that most won't notice the lines of the song. Otherwise also the song had little chance of being talked about as the movie had a stunning array of others. Hardly any chance to get noticed, though it had the story told in a simple / effective manner. (Mix of villuppattu & kathakalAkshEbam styles as used in TFM, rendered effortlessly by Raja and some sweet interludes).

BTW, Who wrote these lines? Was it PA?

பல்லவி :
கத கேளு கத கேளு
நிஜமான கத கேளு
சுவையோட சுகமாக
உருவான கத கேளு
மைக்கேல் மதன காம ராஜன்
கதைய நல்லாக்கேளு
அச்சடிச்சு வெச்சது போல்
நாலு பேரப்பாரு (2)

கத கேளு கத கேளு
நிஜமான கத கேளு
சுவையோட சுகமாக
உருவான கத கேளு

சரணம் 1
சீமானின் காதலுக்கு ஆளான பெண் ஒருத்தி
கல்யாணம் ஆகுமுன்னே தன்னையே தந்தாள்
சீமானின் சொத்துக்கெல்லாம் வாரிசு இல்லையென்று
பங்குக்கு காத்திருந்த தம்பிக்கு அதிர்ச்சி
அண்ணனின் உறவை அழித்திடத்துணிந்தான்
சகுனியைப்போல் ஒரு சதி செய்தான்
உண்மையை அறிந்த கன்னியும் உடனே
கருவினைக்காத்திடத்துணிந்தாளே
வஞ்சகர் கண்களில் மண்ணையும் தூவி
விரைந்தாள் அவள் தன் அபயம் தேடி
ஆதரவின்றி அலைந்தே திரிந்தே
கொடிபோல் துவண்டாள் தனியே கிடந்தாள்
ஒரு நல்ல மகராசி வந்தாளே சமயத்தில்
உதவிக்குத்தாய் போல் துணையாய் நின்றாள்

சரணம் 2
பிள்ளையே இல்லையென்று ஏங்குவோர் இங்கிருக்க
பிள்ளையோ பிள்ளை என்று பிறந்தது நான்கு
ஒன்றுக்கு நாலு என்று சொத்துக்குப்பங்கு கொள்ள
வாரிசு கண்ட தம்பி பலியிடத் துணிந்தான்
சொல்லிட நெஞ்சம் பதறுது இங்கே
பாலகர் நிலை இனி என்னாகும்
பணத்துக்கு விழுந்த பாதகன் செயலால்
அன்னையின் கதையும் என்னாகும்
மரணத்தின் கொடுமையை அறியாக்குழந்தையின்
மலர் போல் சிரிப்பில் அவன் மனம் மாற
இறைவனின் அருளால் நல்லது நடக்க
பிரிந்தன குழந்தைகள் திசைக்கென ஒன்றாய்
தந்தைக்குத்தெரியாது தன்பிள்ளை தன் கையில்
விதி போடும் கோலங்கள் யாருக்கும் தெரியாது

jaiganes
22nd January 2010, 12:30 AM
Back to MMKR. One of the most talked about movie in the hub. One interesting aspect of the movie is not wasting a single shot - even in the seemingly dragging 3 scenes (fixing the car while running, toilet saNdai and climax) lot of interesting things are packed.

So is the title song, which would have been a long flash back (or long series of initial scenes) in prior age masAlAs. Not in this movie, which packs all that stuff plus titles within a few minutes.

So much happens on the screen that most won't notice the lines of the song. Otherwise also the song had little chance of being talked about as the movie had a stunning array of others. Hardly any chance to get noticed, though it had the story told in a simple / effective manner. (Mix of villuppattu & kathakalAkshEbam styles as used in TFM, rendered effortlessly by Raja and some sweet interludes).

BTW, Who wrote these lines? Was it PA?

பல்லவி :
கத கேளு கத கேளு
நிஜமான கத கேளு
சுவையோட சுகமாக
உருவான கத கேளு
மைக்கேல் மதன காம ராஜன்
கதைய நல்லாக்கேளு
அச்சடிச்சு வெச்சது போல்
நாலு பேரப்பாரு (2)

கத கேளு கத கேளு
நிஜமான கத கேளு
சுவையோட சுகமாக
உருவான கத கேளு

சரணம் 1
சீமானின் காதலுக்கு ஆளான பெண் ஒருத்தி
கல்யாணம் ஆகுமுன்னே தன்னையே தந்தாள்
சீமானின் சொத்துக்கெல்லாம் வாரிசு இல்லையென்று
பங்குக்கு காத்திருந்த தம்பிக்கு அதிர்ச்சி
அண்ணனின் உறவை அழித்திடத்துணிந்தான்
சகுனியைப்போல் ஒரு சதி செய்தான்
உண்மையை அறிந்த கன்னியும் உடனே
கருவினைக்காத்திடத்துணிந்தாளே
வஞ்சகர் கண்களில் மண்ணையும் தூவி
விரைந்தாள் அவள் தன் அபயம் தேடி
ஆதரவின்றி அலைந்தே திரிந்தே
கொடிபோல் துவண்டாள் தனியே கிடந்தாள்
ஒரு நல்ல மகராசி வந்தாளே சமயத்தில்
உதவிக்குத்தாய் போல் துணையாய் நின்றாள்

சரணம் 2
பிள்ளையே இல்லையென்று ஏங்குவோர் இங்கிருக்க
பிள்ளையோ பிள்ளை என்று பிறந்தது நான்கு
ஒன்றுக்கு நாலு என்று சொத்துக்குப்பங்கு கொள்ள
வாரிசு கண்ட தம்பி பலியிடத் துணிந்தான்
சொல்லிட நெஞ்சம் பதறுது இங்கே
பாலகர் நிலை இனி என்னாகும்
பணத்துக்கு விழுந்த பாதகன் செயலால்
அன்னையின் கதையும் என்னாகும்
மரணத்தின் கொடுமையை அறியாக்குழந்தையின்
மலர் போல் சிரிப்பில் அவன் மனம் மாற
இறைவனின் அருளால் நல்லது நடக்க
பிரிந்தன குழந்தைகள் திசைக்கென ஒன்றாய்
தந்தைக்குத்தெரியாது தன்பிள்ளை தன் கையில்
விதி போடும் கோலங்கள் யாருக்கும் தெரியாது

Interludes in the Kadha kelu were as modern as anyone could get in 1990. A true post modernist song.

rajkumarc
22nd January 2010, 11:43 AM
Eri Kanal Kaatril from Oru Yaatra Mozhi.

It's been ringing in my ears for the past 2 days. Couldn't come out of it and don't have words to describe the rendition of MSV or IR.

Soulful rendition at its best :notworthy:

tvsankar
22nd January 2010, 06:58 PM
Random search as usual with raaja songs results in a gem in hand to hang on to for days to come...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jObkG-rNsrQ

Arre kamali kamali from bhoomi geethe.
A song i had overlooked all these days - hits me back at my ignorance...
Whatta song. True that the live violins would have added more colour - but the first interlude is on par with any new age instrumental stuff and the second interlude is packed with very nice tribal drums.
Now to the song and the singing - can there be any more softer singing of this song - SPB charan's rendition is so velvetty - and who has sung the female vocal - nice voice there too and the tune is magical...

Thank you jaiganes. Tune is magical - Very True....

app_engine
22nd January 2010, 08:35 PM
People have given different titles to IR from time to time. Well, I want to give him one too :-)

Mr Transporter :-)

(that too one that transports in ambulimAmA's "manO vEga" speeds)

What else do you call someone who can within a few notes of guitar / violins transport me from a chilly Detroit winter to a breezy periyakuLam spring?

செந்தூரப்பூவே on loop :-) No further description needed for this classic!

tvsankar
22nd January 2010, 09:39 PM
app,
ipo dhan naan "Machana paartheengala' kaetutu, sankar kite indha paataiyum share panninden....

Inga partha - neenga solli irukeenga.....

Sri Devi yai , gavanika vecha paatu achae idhu..... :lol:

Village padam ena ninaithu kondu, padam parthal,

Direction il irundhu, paatu, Hero, heroine ena - yekka chakka surprise........ An Excellent Album..........
Never forget in my Life...

tvsankar
22nd January 2010, 09:44 PM
Solli vidu velli nilavae - Beautiful Song....

tvsankar
22nd January 2010, 09:51 PM
Mayil pola ponnu onnu
Kili pola pechu onnu

So Simple.... Soooooooooooooooooooo Sweeet composition.....

app_engine
22nd January 2010, 10:03 PM

The "pre-nasal-operation" Sridevi had her own charm and was well-suited for a pattikkAttuppoNNu role:-) That the one after operation was more sharp and pretty is undeniable, though. (She is in my fav books not mainly for her looks but the wonderful kural. I think there's no competition to her in that aspect in TF, never before or after. Period.)

Ofcourse, this song has everything going great - one of IR's all-time-best scores, sweet lines, award winning performance by SJ and finally the visuals.

There's a brief version that goes like "செந்தூரப்பூவே....வாழ்த்தொன்று பாடாயோ" on the movie for her second love (i.e. Kamal) which was familiar to me even before I saw the movie thanks to "ஒலிச்சித்திரம்". That was "horn-speaker-cast" many times in villages those days and was almost manappAdam :-)

tvsankar
22nd January 2010, 10:09 PM

The "pre-nasal-operation" Sridevi had her own charm and was well-suited for a pattikkAttuppoNNu role:-) That the one after operation was more sharp and pretty is undeniable, though. (She is in my fav books not mainly for her looks but the wonderful kural. I think there's no competition to her in that aspect in TF, never before or after. Period.)

Ofcourse, this song has everything going great - one of IR's all-time-best scores, sweet lines, award winning performance by SJ and finally the visuals.

There's a brief version that goes like "செந்தூரப்பூவே....வாழ்த்தொன்று பாடாயோ" on the movie for her second love (i.e. Kamal) which was familiar to me even before I saw the movie thanks to "olichchiththiram". Thatwas "horn-speaker-cast" many times in villages those days and was almost manappAdam :-)

Yes app. Very True. Sri Devi voice romba nalla irukum.

about OLICHITHIRAM - Enga ooril , endha funciton vandhalum,
Loud Speaker il , indha padam vechuduvanga.

Din din din - indha sound udan, solam vedhaikaiyliae,
paatu mudinjadhum. - amma naan patham class pass agiten.......

maraka mudiyadha ninaivugal...

enga road la neraiya bus pogum.....

Veetilum, radio sathamaga vaipanga.

so , Olichithiram ,sariyaga kaeka mudiyadhu.

Veetin pin pakkam, vandhu nindru kondu, kashta pattu,
Olichithirathai kaetu iruken.
(adharkul, amma and paati - ennai kanom nu thedindu vandhuduvanga.... inga enna panre - ipadi thittu vera vanganam........ :lol: )

tvsankar
22nd January 2010, 10:12 PM
about Sri Devi.

enaku pidicha innoru paatu

"ada poda poda
ulagam perusu
nee oru podi dubba"

indha Sri Devi - I like her very much.

indha Sri Devi madhiri, iruka pinnal pinnidu,
eye brows ku naduvul, sticker vechindu (Nethiyil illai sticker :D ),
naan and en friends ellarum style pannindu,
ellar manasilum - Sri Devi nu nenapu.... hehheheh

tvsankar
22nd January 2010, 10:21 PM
Now am listening - Yarum Vilaiyadum thootam - Nadodi Thendral

I love the Beats..... beats expressess the journey of
the people.......

Sureshs65
22nd January 2010, 10:56 PM
Hmm. Just as app_eng was listening to 'sendhoora poove', I am listening to another song which pays tribute to it, 'allipoove mallipoove' from Bhagyadevatha. What a rework it is!!! Well sung by Vijay Jesudas and Shweta. Continued with Bhagyadevatha for 'Ali thiradanil' in which Karthik does a good and then 'Swapnangal Kannezhudiya'. Still cannot get over the amazement I feel whenever I hear the rhythm of this song. A very complex rhythm that supplements the main melody without distracting you. It will be very easy for us to appreciate the new MDs if they can by themselves come up with such rhythm instead of depending on borrowed loops. Such complexity in rhythm is 'kai vandha kalai' for Raja.

app_engine
22nd January 2010, 11:08 PM
Sureshji,
I think sendhoorappoovE, like vizhiyilE, is another 3 beat cycle song. Am I correct?

Yes, swapnangaL has sweet melody and nice rhythm. I need to visit a far-away Indian store this week who has MalayaLam DVDs. This movie and PR are in my "pending list". (And also the music of oru yAthrA mozhi :-) )

Vkrish
22nd January 2010, 11:12 PM
Never expected this "dheemi dheemi" song from Siva had such a long, melodius & stylish prelude...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdEcTd4Ahfs

baroque
23rd January 2010, 12:54 AM
pagalile oru nilavinai......Janu's yearning singing with flute, violin , humming delightful orchestration in Raga Sriranjani. :musicsmile:
Vinatha.

jaiganes
23rd January 2010, 03:24 AM
People have given different titles to IR from time to time. Well, I want to give him one too :-)

Mr Transporter :-)

(that too one that transports in ambulimAmA's "manO vEga" speeds)

What else do you call someone who can within a few notes of guitar / violins transport me from a chilly Detroit winter to a breezy periyakuLam spring?

செந்தூரப்பூவே on loop :-) No further description needed for this classic!

I beat you to that A_E!!!

http://passionforcinema.com/namma-ooru-transporter/

jaiganes
23rd January 2010, 03:26 AM

the people.......

Another variation of the drums he uses for native people....
idhai paththi PHD thesise ezudhalaam...

app_engine
23rd January 2010, 03:55 AM
jaiganes,

Great! You the pioneer :-)
:2thumbsup:

ஆதலினால், நான் "வழி மொழிகிறேன்" :-)

about Sri Devi.

Thinking back, there is probably no song that I've seen on screen with Sridevi and not liked it (i.e. the Raja ones and even some by other MD's, like vAzhvE mAyam / vaRumaiyin niRam sivappu / moonRu mudichchu etc)

She always brings some "extra this thing" (even when the hero is not Kamal / Rajini) and make it watchable / enjoyable :-)

ajithfederer
23rd January 2010, 05:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZzNkClW8aU&feature=related

The best song in Thalapathi :clap:.

Bala (Karthik)
23rd January 2010, 06:05 AM
"Edeya Baagilu" - Suryakanthi

Beautiful song. Yet another dimension of Raaja. One must especially look out for the superb counter by the piano towards the end from 04:45 onwards :notworthy:
A sparkling 2009 for him indeed

tvsankar
23rd January 2010, 11:12 AM

the people.......

Another variation of the drums he uses for native people....
idhai paththi PHD thesise ezudhalaam...

jaiganes,
idhaiyae than sankar kite sollinden.

Good Culture - idhu miga iyalbaga IR in blood la iruku...

onnu rendu ena ilai.

Lakshakanaka culture - Avaruku Iyalbaga therindhu irukiradhu.

Adhai isiayil kodukum podhu - Natural aga vellipadugiradhu.

This is the Special from our IR.........

yarum vilaiyadum - indha paatil varum oru male chorus..

really am stunned....... vaathu kootathai kottitu poravanga,
vaathukalai , oru ozhungila poga vaika indha satham seivanga.
naan parthu iruken.......

adhai miga azhagaga serthi irupar IR.........

Haunting composition.....
paatai kaetal theriyum - ivargalin yezhmai, innocent,
etc ellam ..........

singers also expresses the correct Bhavam.....

tvsankar
23rd January 2010, 11:15 AM
Lyrics inspires me.......

anbilla oorukullae
inbam illa
vambilla vaazhkai endral
thunbam illa

aaroram oora parthu
dera podu........

kadaulukul serum thanni
uppagudhu

sirpikullae koodum thanni
muthagudhu

seradha thamara poo
thanni polae
maradhu enga vaazhvum
vaanam pola
wat a lyrics....

tvsankar
23rd January 2010, 11:21 AM
af,
Sundari - Endrum iniyadhu......

tvsankar
23rd January 2010, 11:23 AM
"Edeya Baagilu" - Suryakanthi

Beautiful song. Yet another dimension of Raaja. One must especially look out for the superb counter by the piano towards the end from 04:45 onwards :notworthy:
A sparkling 2009 for him indeed

Bala,
Yedaya - Good Culture nu sonnaenae -

indha paatulae gavanicha theiryum....

Richness, culure and the Good Love

ithanai factor um - IR in isai sollum........

tvsankar
23rd January 2010, 11:24 AM
app,
Sri Devi - Neraiya sollanam.

tvsankar
23rd January 2010, 04:53 PM
Okkadae aasha - April 1 vidudala

Nice song.....

Azhagana Shobaha......

tvsankar
23rd January 2010, 05:03 PM
Mylapore pakkam mayila kandaenae - kokarako

Nice rendition by MVD.
IR's Mohanam - sorry - geetham sangeetham dhan mohanam.

Idhu IR oda Madhyamavathi......... Enaku romba pidicha raagam from Raaja.......

Great Violin......

paatu start ana pin varum interlude is very sweeeeeet...
vera enna - Guitar......

MVD humming udan varum interludes - i like it very much.

ajithfederer
24th January 2010, 03:50 AM
Cult hit Ennama Kannu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsTjI5C0hHM

Sanjeevi
24th January 2010, 04:34 PM
பூ மேலே வீசும் பூங்காத்தே என் மேல் வீச மாட்டாயா - எச்சில் இரவுகள்

:musicsmile:

கண் வாசலில் உன் வாசமோ

C2
24th January 2010, 07:00 PM
about sridevi...

yeah, sridevi is my all time favourite too. Her style,body language,
her expressive eyes esp. during pre-nasal operation movies, simply superb. None other than sridevi could have done the roles she had played. I love many of her song sequences. To quote a few:
1) agaya gangai - dharma yudham
2) sippi irukkudhu - varumayin niram sivappu
3) theertha karai dhanile - varumayin niram sivappu
4) malargalil adum ilamai pudumaye - kalyana raman
5) ninaithal inikkum - kalyana raman

Sureshs65
24th January 2010, 09:12 PM
Digression but a lovely one:)

Aaaah. Sridevi!!! What can I say about this gorgeous lady. Aishwaya Rai may have the most beautiful face but Sreedevi shall remain the goddess for many us who watched movies in the 80s.

Now to get back to the thread, it is also good that she got some lovely songs from MSV and Raja. 'VNS', 'Kavikuyil', 'Kalyanaraman', 'Meendum Kokila', 'Priya' , 'Dharma Yuddham' , 'Gayathri', 'Sigappu Rojakal', the immortal 'Moondram Pirai' and 'Johnny' and many more. I guess like Kamal and Rajni in the hero section, Sridevi probably got the best music of Raja in the heroine section. What say?

Sureshs65
24th January 2010, 09:20 PM
And Oops, I forgot the most important movie, '16 Vayadhinile'!!

app_eng: I think the charanam of 'sendoora poove' seems to be a normal 4x4 beat. Someone like Ananth can probably tell us what the beat is. The tabla sounds like normal chatusram.

Sureshs65
24th January 2010, 09:23 PM
Me too listening to "Edaya Baagilu" and me too admiring the absolutely new dimension of Raja. The way the voices echo and overlap, the way the song moves, everything is perfect. The only thing which I felt was less than perfect was Kunal Ganjawala's singing and diction. Shreya is wonderful. This song once again showcases how Raja is able to imbibe a foreign genre and make it his own rather than just transpose it to Tamil film music.

Infact started like 'swalpa sound' more now. Especially the second interlude where the claps provide the rhythm. Excellent energy there.

tvsankar
25th January 2010, 10:36 AM
Suresh,
Ennoda Sankar - Suryakanthi album pathi
share pannidar...

Avar first sonna paatae - Swalpa sound

neenga sonna - 2nd interludes - starting Beats.

wat a Fastest Beats......

andha spped epadi kanama poi, ordinary speed ku vandhadhu endrae kandu pidika mudiyavilali..
Mesmerising tune.......

tvsankar
25th January 2010, 11:04 AM
My alltime pick in this album is

Chan channare - beautiful song...

tvsankar
26th January 2010, 06:46 PM
Minnaram manathu - Sujatha...

Violin pesum...

Extraordinary punctuations of Flute......

Humble Guitar.......

Singer in - thozhiyaga - indha Instruments ellam
varum azhagu - IR music il matumae kidaikum.......

Plum
26th January 2010, 08:20 PM
Saw Oru Yatra Mozhi. Disappointing. (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=2024297#2024297)
Usha, a few days back I had mentioned a IR-MSV-Sivaji song. I had assumed it had been picturised in this movie but as it stands, it hasnt been. Sorry for confusing you.

tvsankar
26th January 2010, 11:21 PM
Saw Oru Yatra Mozhi. Disappointing. (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=2024297#2024297)
Usha, a few days back I had mentioned a IR-MSV-Sivaji song. I had assumed it had been picturised in this movie but as it stands, it hasnt been. Sorry for confusing you.

plum,
neenga solra paatai naan inum kaetadhu ilai..
link thango...

tvsankar
26th January 2010, 11:22 PM
Yarivanu

indha orchestration patri ezhudha
indha jenmathil enaku nyanam varuma
theriyavilai.

Sureshs65
27th January 2010, 01:05 AM
Listening to 'Edeya Bagilu'. What interludes!! As I was posting in the 'Raja 4 Decades' thread, suddenly I realized what a contrast this song is to something like 'Sendhoorapoove'!! The innocence of 'Sendhoorapoove' in contrast to the carefully constructed 'Edeya Baagilu'. A lovely village melody against a Broadway musical. Both sound nice and both have the unmistakable stamp of the Emperor. This man's range can never be equaled!!

Bala (Karthik)
27th January 2010, 01:33 AM
Listening to 'Edeya Bagilu'. What interludes!! As I was posting in the 'Raja 4 Decades' thread, suddenly I realized what a contrast this song is to something like 'Sendhoorapoove'!! The innocence of 'Sendhoorapoove' in contrast to the carefully constructed 'Edeya Baagilu'. A lovely village melody against a Broadway musical. Both sound nice and both have the unmistakable stamp of the Emperor. This man's range can never be equaled!!
I'd just revisited this one (after the first hearing at the time of the audio release) just a few days back and was just blown away by this composition. Such freshness filled with beautiful surprises, like the vocals, the mood/groove, piano/keyboard counter towards the end

Bala (Karthik)
27th January 2010, 04:09 AM
"Swalpa soundu jaasthi maadu" - Suryakaanthi

Jai, neenga dhaane indha paatta parindhuraitheenga? :thumbsup:

jaiganes
27th January 2010, 07:13 AM

yes yes - it is not just a triumph of raaja's orchestral genius , but also the triumph of chorus vocals - they have done the ha ha has and the hoh hos leading to the magical ludes.

tvsankar
27th January 2010, 05:20 PM
Are kamali kamali

Thanks jai. really mesmerising.... Beats inspires me a lot...

HIndholam madhiri irukae......

tvsankar
27th January 2010, 05:22 PM

yes yes - it is not just a triumph of raaja's orchestral genius , but also the triumph of chorus vocals - they have done the ha ha has and the hoh hos leading to the magical ludes.

The song is defined Beautifully by you Jai.
pl keep posts....

2nd interlude starting la varum beats......
wat a fast one.......
123 1234 ?

raja_fan
28th January 2010, 08:47 AM
I was listening to "Poo Mugam sivakka.." from old film Amma ( Pratap, Saritha ). I was always thinking it was by IR..but to my surprise, this is by Shankar Ganesh ( though I knew that "Mazhaiye mazhaiye.." from the same film was by this duo ).
Humming of this song leads me to "Manathile oru paattu" from Dhayam onnu sung by same P.S and music by IR..
Sometimes IR and Shankar Ganesh do come closer :)

jaiganes
28th January 2010, 09:05 AM
I was listening to "Poo Mugam sivakka.." from old film Amma ( Pratap, Saritha ). I was always thinking it was by IR..but to my surprise, this is by Shankar Ganesh ( though I knew that "Mazhaiye mazhaiye.." from the same film was by this duo ).
Humming of this song leads me to "Manathile oru paattu" from Dhayam onnu sung by same P.S and music by IR..
Sometimes IR and Shankar Ganesh do come closer :)

nalla velai - IR nnu oruthare illai Shankar ganesh dhaan muftila compose pannaangannu sollaama poneengale. :-)

raja_fan
28th January 2010, 10:57 AM
nalla velai - IR nnu oruthare illai Shankar ganesh dhaan muftila compose pannaangannu sollaama poneengale.

ada.ada..enna oru thelivu..enna oru thelivu..
Jaiganes, ennai target panratha vittuttu unga regular posts pakkam gavanam seluththalaame..

Plum
28th January 2010, 11:56 AM
raja_fan, the following is not a response to you but in general a rant against an opinion that a few people I have seen expressing over the years:
Many a time, you find people saying that they always thought a Vedam Pudhidhu or some shankar-ganesh song or even(Arghh) pudhu vasantham to be IR and then being suprised that it is someone else. The list is long and includes a whole slew of songs from Deva.

I feel that except in the case of Deva, who really mimicked IR's style, the rest are just lazy listening on part of listeners. None of these songs really reflect IR's style. No Raja fan with an understanding or feeel for Raja's orchestration would even think that these are by IR. It is just that IR being dominant in the market, some people got the habit of attributing any song they liked to IR.

Coming to Deva, I'd say that till date, there is not a single song of his that I have mistaken for IR even when listening without the knowledge of the composer and vice-versa although for a casual listener, Deva has scored many songs that are quite close to IR's style and can be mistaken for IR. Am I some sort of observant listener? No, really. It is just that I know my Raja very well, except that I may not be able to articulate how.

So, I really take that "I thought it was IR" with a pinch of salt. No offence to you - you are not the reason for this rant, probably a trigger :-)

raja_fan
28th January 2010, 12:11 PM
Plum,

I think you need to listen again to "Poo mugam sivakka" for few mins ( pallavi + first interlude).

jaiganes
28th January 2010, 09:32 PM
Plum,

I think you need to listen again to "Poo mugam sivakka" for few mins ( pallavi + first interlude).
அது எம்.எஸ்.வியின் சாயல் கொண்ட ஒரு பாடல். அதில் ராசாவின் நிழல் கூட இல்லைன்னேன்.

Sureshs65
28th January 2010, 09:53 PM
'ennai oruvan paada sonnan' from 'Kumbakarai Thangayya'. Like it for two reasons. When initially Raja goes 'nalla annanukku thambiyam' Gangai Amaran (I think) goes 'gangai amaran'. The second aspect is that this is one of those songs where Raja does as pure a Kalyani as you hear in film music. Generally he has his own twists. This is a philosophical song in Kalyani and a standard Kalyani at that. A very nice song.

raja_fan
29th January 2010, 12:39 PM

Yes..may be MSV style..but still "Manathile oru paattu.." and this song resemble a bit..probably MSV shadow on both IR and SG..

jaiganes
29th January 2010, 08:08 PM

Yes..may be MSV style..but still "Manathile oru paattu.." and this song resemble a bit..probably MSV shadow on both IR and SG..

idhu nyaayamaana paechu..

Sureshs65
29th January 2010, 11:25 PM
Listened to two out and out commercial albums and cannot help but wondering how so high quality music can be given for very commercial albums. Both the albums in Telugu. The first one is 'Jagadeka Veerudu Athiloka Sundari'. You can't get more commercial than this!! Chiranjeevi, Sreedevi, Raghavendar Rao and Ashwini Dutt. The movie was a super-duper hit and had the 'madhura marikozhundu' in Telugu. It also had the 'abba ni teeyani debba' which went to Hindi as 'dhak dhal karne laga'. The album had great variety starting from a hero intro song, to a bhakthi song and raunchy numbers. 'andalalo aho mahodayam' creates an idealistic world. The music so very aptly fits the goings on in the movie, wherein Sreedevi comes from heaven and finds earth wonderful. As I said in another thread, this man is the master of emotion. It can't get more utopian than this. Then there is the superb 'Priyatama'. A good movie to watch till around half an hour before the end :) My friend had seen this movie multiple times and had walked out as soon as the 'priyatama' song ends.

The other movie songs I was listening to was 'Bobbili Raja'. This is a combo CD. Again, an out and out commercial movie. Again, a movie where you should walk out after the last song. We had earlier hijacked Usha's thread on 'Song of the Day', when she had posted about 'kanyakumari' song from this movie in order to discuss about Divya Bharathi !!! :lol:

tvsankar
29th January 2010, 11:55 PM
priyathama - Excellent beats.. Nice guitar.......

starting beats and guitar - Orae murai un tharisnam - paatoda beats and guitar ai nyabaga padutharadhae..
am i wrong?

Querida
30th January 2010, 07:27 AM
Kalyana Maalai Kondadum Pennae:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAmYAKFWaWM

Vivasaayi
30th January 2010, 11:19 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=496RlEZFjro

The violin work from 0.36 to 1.14 in the background...

heartwrenching ..vaaipe illa

Bala (Karthik)
30th January 2010, 12:07 PM
None of these songs really reflect IR's style. No Raja fan with an understanding or feeel for Raja's orchestration would even think that these are by IR.
:yes:

Sureshs65
31st January 2010, 12:58 AM
Vivasaayi,

Thanks for the link. As usual an amazing BGM.

Sureshs65
31st January 2010, 01:11 AM
Listening to the Malayalam song 'thaku thagilu thalam' Which movie is this from? While the rhythm is very modern the song itself has a nice folk flavor to it.

ajithfederer
31st January 2010, 03:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLx-8g8v1cQ&feature=related

Raadha azhaikiraal - Vijayakanth and Radhika.
What film is this?/

Querida
31st January 2010, 05:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLx-8g8v1cQ&feature=related

Raadha azhaikiraal - Vijayakanth and Radhika.
What film is this?/

Movie is Therkathi Kallan.

baroque
31st January 2010, 11:29 AM
Radha azhaikkiraal.. is a masterpiece Janu solo in kalyani.
Raaja alternates the tabala, drums - percussions usage like neela kuyiley... Soorasamharam.

time 1:48:20
what a masterpiece strings, bells, mirudhangam,humming,flute,drums, Chithra's finest solo!
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4207924934054380435#
Vandhadhey... Kizhakku Vaasal...Chithra.
vinatha.

ajithfederer
1st February 2010, 01:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owiXDr1xQ8Y

Oh, Thanks for the info querida.

baroque
1st February 2010, 03:31 AM
Was enjoying Yesudas delights while going for a walk this afternoon..:)
aalolam peelikkavadi chelil...
Beautiful composition from Ilayaraaja .
Ilayaraaja classically whip a Ragamalika with ragam Kambodhi & Mukhari, now I crave for Aaru padai veedu konda... & brahma kadigina... annamacharya in raga Mukhari!
brahma kaDigina paadamu
brahmamu taanenee paadamu..Late M.S.subbulakshmi :musicsmile:
Prelude music is the same tune as kanmani nee vara...
Early IR with Yesudas, lilting THENDRALE ENNAI THODU!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxOE7_eG6Tk
:musicsmile: :redjump:

Vinatha. :)

Shank
1st February 2010, 07:14 AM
I was coming back from the temple today and I was listening to this song in my car...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ2GFhRKBHg

Awesome song...I have always liked it. The melody in this song is terrific. The flute work in this song is tremendous. It is used both for a lead as well as backing during the stanzas. And again, as with the songs from that time (1983), the bass guitar travels on it's own path!! The percussion is also kept simple and jazzy while the second interlude has Raaja's trademark stamp!!

baroque
1st February 2010, 08:07 AM
80s Ilayaraaja with his natural instruments :musicsmile:
Karayaano mizhi neeril thuzhayaano jeevitham......Yesudas solo from the same movie has melodious flute, violin interlude !
DIVINE ILAYARAAJA I dig forever!
vinatha. :)

tvsankar
1st February 2010, 03:16 PM
Nee koduthadha thirupu kodutha

KSC version and MVD version.

Both are excellent..

tvsankar
1st February 2010, 03:30 PM
Alli billi - Chettukinda pleader

IR sonna Athmavai thodum composition....

tvsankar
1st February 2010, 03:33 PM
katti vechiko endhan anbu manasai

tvsankar
1st February 2010, 03:37 PM
vaasamalli poovu poovu

Uma Ramanan's Best song.......

Violin speaks a lot....

Flute - gives Great Expressions...

tvsankar
1st February 2010, 03:53 PM
Thendral varum munnae munnae

Nilave nee vara vendum

Really Soulful composition...........

Violin and Flute - Speaks speaks speaks...

vramesh
2nd February 2010, 04:53 AM
Watched udhiri pookkal in uteeb. Azgauye kanne aaamikkarachE...tears in eyes. I am used to writing that a movie welled me up but this wasn't that. I was like thembi thembi, shedding buckets. Family got alarmed and came running into the room :lol:

Raja-mahendran - kalai-na idhu dhaanya :notworthy:

andha DVDyai adhukku bayandhe yaarum illaadha raathirila paakura vazhakkam. sila scenes irukku - nenachaale azhugai varum.
Mahanadhi padamlaam paarthaa dhaan azugai varum, but indha padathil varum sila scenesai nenachaale manasu valikkudhu.

kurippaa rendu scenes...
1. saaga pora thaaikku pasanga nadu raathirila paal oothara scene is absolutely heart breaking.
2. Adhukkaparam, Vijayan marries again and he is blasted by his erstwhile sis in law for neglecting children - he walks towards his house and sees his children on the street and haja sheriff does a 'Good morning salute' along with Baby Anju - andha edathula Raaja voda BGM and Vijayan's expressions - for a brief while he becomes human and his hard heart melts for a small while - andha idam ennai romba azha vechadhu - subsequent scene where the new wife of Vijayan watches baby anju giving his elder brother a bath - I could not take it any more. After full thaembal, resumed watching the movie - indha padathai pause, play button illaamal paarthavargalai nenachu viyakkiren.

Just reading these posts brings those scenes to the forefront and along with it tears too. Man, that movie had and still has such an impact. I watched it when no one was at home and I enjoyed it to my hearts content (tears filled up to my hearts content too :) )

I had been moved to tears when watching some Sivaji's or Kamal's movies but that was mainly due to their acting. In the case of UP, it was much more deeper than that and the tears that came were usually uncontrollable (as Jai said thembi thembi).

Uthiri Pookal is definitely something to be watched alone and without any sort of interruption.

Guys, thanks for sharing all these, especially picking up particular scenes :)

After searching few years, I finally got to see Udhiri Pookal 3 yrs back. Actually watched Ek Duje Ke Liye and Udhiri Pookal back to back I think(talk about a tearjerker Saturday afternoon :D ). Must admit that I really hardened my heart a lot to sit through the movie even though I had reached a stage in life where Action is always the preferred choice in place of tears.

I must confess that in spite of the many thousands of hours listening to IR's works, Udhiri Pookal BGM makes you feel you are discovering IR for the first time.

Shank
2nd February 2010, 07:08 PM
Shivamallipoove from Friends (Malayalam) is another lovely song. Chitra's vocals are really sweet in this song and the alignment with the melody is perfect. The chords in this song are very enjoyable...seems simple enough, on surface, but are a treat to listen. One thing I love about this song is the minimalist but highly effective orchestration. To summarize, I think it is a very stylishly composed song...all class!!

tvsankar
2nd February 2010, 07:27 PM
Shank,
song kaeka link pl.....

Shank
2nd February 2010, 07:44 PM
Usha, this was one of the links I could find. However, if you listen to the song in better quality (CD), it sounds even more awesome

http://www.raaga.com/channels/malayalam/moviedetail.asp?mid=M0000208

tvsankar
2nd February 2010, 07:57 PM
Shank,
Thanks for the link.
paatai kaekaren. Excellent no....

KSC voice - Mesmorising......

Prelude - Extrtarodinary.....

app_engine
2nd February 2010, 10:07 PM
Sad to hear the news (from TF section) that Cochin Haneefa is dead :-(

A seasoned actor who could do comedy / villainy and other support roles without much ado, he brought a very special appeal with his screen presence.

For most of his directorial ventures in TF, he chose IR and I just listened to my top fav from this combo:

தென் பாண்டித்தமிழே, என் சிங்காரக்குயிலே (பாசப்பறவைகள்)

What a sweet song!

tvsankar
2nd February 2010, 10:20 PM
Sad to hear the news (from TF section) that Cochin Haneefa is dead :-(

A seasoned actor who could do comedy / villainy and other support roles without much ado, he brought a very special appeal with his screen presence.

For most of his directorial ventures in TF, he chose IR and I just listened to my top fav from this combo:

தென் பாண்டித்தமிழே, என் சிங்காரக்குயிலே (பாசப்பறவைகள்)

What a sweet song!

oh. Rip..
Mahanadhi - character ai maraka mudiyuma....

tvsankar
2nd February 2010, 10:20 PM
Unna vida - Virumandi

wat a soulful composition......

Sureshs65
2nd February 2010, 10:56 PM
Shank,

The last two songs you posted here are absolute gems. I remember one of our hubbers, rajaalltheway, once telling me that 'Kiliye Kiliye' was as good as 'Thumbi Vaa' and I couldn't disagree.

I have by now posted so many times in different forums and have told so many people (including one friend last weekend) that I am afraid to praise 'Shivamallipoove' any more :) What a tune, what an orchestration. As you said very minimal and very effective. It is in Malayalam that Raja demonstrates how effective synth can be used. This song and 'manjulum raatri' are outstanding examples. And oh yes, 'sharadendu paadi' as well.

tvsankar
2nd February 2010, 11:01 PM
suresh,
sharadendu paadi - link veumae..

Sureshs65
2nd February 2010, 11:01 PM
Listening to a tape containing many 'rain songs' composed by Raja. I think each song deserves a separate writeup. Probably should open a thread for the rain songs and discuss about the orchestration done by Raja in these songs. Will need to get my thoughts in order and post about these songs soon. Currently enjoying 'Megam Kottatum', 'Vaan Megam', 'Jallantha Kougintha' (Tamil Version), 'Oh Oh Megam Vandhadho', 'Vaanam Enna'. On repeat mode the last couple of days.

Sureshs65
2nd February 2010, 11:02 PM
Usha,

Here is what I could find:

http://ilayaraja-mp3songs.blogspot.com/2009/11/kaliyoonjal-mp3-songs-download.html

tvsankar
2nd February 2010, 11:05 PM
thank you suresh.
download pannidu iruken.

Sureshs65
2nd February 2010, 11:05 PM
And while you are downloading 'sharadendhu' also check out 'virahamay vipalamay' from 'Man of the Match'. Another song in the 'sivamallipoove' mold.

tvsankar
2nd February 2010, 11:06 PM
oh... pakkaren suresh.
thank you.......
I love Mallu IR..........

app_engine
2nd February 2010, 11:07 PM
Like I said earlier, 'shivamallippoovE' is equal to 'ninnukkOri' in my books :-)

I don't understand the logic of not having this song when the movie was remade in Thamizh :?

Shank
2nd February 2010, 11:09 PM
Suresh, another terrific example of minimalist and effective synth usage is "Oru Chiri Kandaal" from Ponmudipuzhayorathu. That tune is really captivating and is the driving force of the song. If you listen closely to the interludes, there are traces of WCM in them...so superbly woven into the main fabric of the song.

Sureshs65
2nd February 2010, 11:16 PM
Shank,

'Ponmudi...' was one album which I initially though was below par except for 'oru chiri kandal' but after a few listens, just fell in love with it. 'Oru Chiri Kandal' is Raja's favorite Mayamalavagowla. It is incredible how he can come up with so many tunes based on this ragam and yet sound so fresh. There was also another song in Guru Ramana Geetham, which has a Mayamalavagowla which closely resembles 'oru chiri kandal'. 'Oru Chiri Kandal' became an instant favorite of my wife. The other song from this movie, 'nadhaswaram ketto' has some amazing orchestration and is a rhythmic delight. Also see how unexpected the song flow is. 'ammayennu vaaku' is a very touching song. 'pandathe naatupuram' and 'vazhimaru vazhimaru' are very nice as well.

Sureshs65
2nd February 2010, 11:18 PM
app_eng,

Somehow, after listening to the Malayalam 'Friends' I can't bring myself to listen to the Tamil 'Friends'. The only song I listen to is 'Poongatre'.

tvsankar
2nd February 2010, 11:20 PM
virahamay - kaekaren
Thanks suresh...

Shank
2nd February 2010, 11:30 PM
Another song I would highly recommend is "Nisha Manohari" from Pinnilaavu (1983). There are two other songs that are more popular but this song really thrills me. The orchestration for the interludes is clearly from that era (eg: playing the guitar open) and you will find numerous examples in tamil where Raja has scored similarly. Of course, these interludes are superb as well, especially the second one. The uniqueness of this song is that it feels like an erotica song (maybe for the other thread!!) but at the same time has a strong carnatic base.

My real payoff with this song is the stanza negotiation...wow, it's mind blowing. The first stanza ending has the male voice (I believe it is KJY/Jayachandran) and SJ sings the second stanza ending. I feel Janaki clearly outclasses the male singer in the negotiations. Besides, it's such a difficult part to sing, with the scale preceding that line. It's an awesome composition...

tvsankar
2nd February 2010, 11:33 PM
oru chiri kandal - amazing.....

pinnilavu - Nisha manohari - kaeta madhiri thieryaliyae...

tvsankar
2nd February 2010, 11:40 PM
oh - indha paata.. kaetu iruken.

Other than tamil - lyrics la very poor am shank

tvsankar
2nd February 2010, 11:42 PM
Head phone la kaekaren.
Ella sound um clean a nalla kaekaradhu.
Very nice experiences to hear HIs songs. in Head phone .

very strong Guitar - but sweet......

tvsankar
2nd February 2010, 11:44 PM
Good night friends.
kelambaren. kitchen la velai appadiyae iruku..
Good NIght to all........

jaiganes
3rd February 2010, 01:38 AM
Mella oorndhu oorndhu - This is a very complicated song as far as background rhythm is concerned - though the tune and the instrumentation appear simple, the conjurement is very very complex and is getting more and more evident with each passing listen. the beat pattern really beats me and the la la la laa chorus - -the places they join along with some strings and bass also has been arranged in a mathematically complex fashion. Even the voice of raaja, the way he has sung in two different sthaayis and the tone with which they have been mixed too is not in any regular pattern that I am used to in film songs. the result is a glorious Raaja Waltz...

from the same movie Nandalaala, the pathos song 'Thaalaattu kaetka naanum' and its tonal shift and rhythm shift in the second charanam is very striking and takes the listener by surprise after the sad crescendo of violins.
Under a 'Simple Song' facade Raaja summons up all the mathematical skill he could channel and creates a linear progression of beats and bass rhythms with quite a few red herrings strewn in between to throw someone who tries to identify a pattern in between... Bravo Raaja.

Sureshs65
3rd February 2010, 10:46 PM
'malli malli idhi raani roju' from 'Rakshasudu'. Raja conjures up a very energetic song using an amazingly melodious Madhyamavathi. Here is a lesson on how you can tune a popular song for a popular hero and still keep so much music in it!! The steady rhythm, the bass guitar, the fantastic interludes and the excellent singing of SPB and Janaki.

Listen to it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y45g1bXR2o

tvsankar
3rd February 2010, 11:05 PM
one more nice song from this pair

Karugi poyanu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZLJOV1KMqc&feature=related

sindhu biravi ya

tvsankar
3rd February 2010, 11:14 PM
One more nice song
azhagana Suhasini

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLLKPi-6xDA

Sanjeevi
3rd February 2010, 11:30 PM
Mella oorndhu oorndhu - This is a very complicated song as far as background rhythm is concerned - though the tune and the instrumentation appear simple, the conjurement is very very complex and is getting more and more evident with each passing listen. the beat pattern really beats me and the la la la laa chorus - -the places they join along with some strings and bass also has been arranged in a mathematically complex fashion. Even the voice of raaja, the way he has sung in two different sthaayis and the tone with which they have been mixed too is not in any regular pattern that I am used to in film songs. the result is a glorious Raaja Waltz...

from the same movie Nandalaala, the pathos song 'Thaalaattu kaetka naanum' and its tonal shift and rhythm shift in the second charanam is very striking and takes the listener by surprise after the sad crescendo of violins.
Under a 'Simple Song' facade Raaja summons up all the mathematical skill he could channel and creates a linear progression of beats and bass rhythms with quite a few red herrings strewn in between to throw someone who tries to identify a pattern in between... Bravo Raaja.

:thumbsup:

My most favourite album in recent times

raagas
4th February 2010, 12:21 PM
OK.. I have an arrogant confidence now that the song I am going to post here would be enjoyed by almost everyone here.

I must thank Ushagaaru here firstly. She recently posted a song called "Artha Raathri" in Song of the Day thread. It is from a film called Urangatha Ninaivukal. The film was new to me. I browsed other songs and came across this Gem of a creation.

http://www.paadal.com/album/urangaatha_ninaivukal

Listen to the song "Narumana Malagalin". I dont know how this song escaped my attention till now. It is very much in the league of songs from Ninaivelam Nithya or Tik Tik Tik or any of those outstanding fusion based numbers that IR has created.

The rhythm is so damn freaky.Thumba drum and Mridangam. And the bass line, the soli violin, the guitar..

I get so damn greedy that I want IR to re-do this whole composition, exactly as it is.. today, with better recording equipment.

This song is new to me. Those who are in same boat as I am.. will freak out. And those who heard it before will only smile at me. whatever, I am enjoying this song to the peak. IR is one mad genius. Period.

tvsankar
4th February 2010, 02:01 PM
raagas,
Thanks a lot forthe song and for the link.

Thraipadal work agamal kashta padaren.

Beautiful Description about this somg.

SJ madhiri - Oru jeevanoda padara singer
yaru nu yosikaren.

IR - indha style ai - konjam consider pannalam........

tvsankar
4th February 2010, 06:50 PM
Maama maalai neram
- Ambigai Neril Vandhal

SJ's Rendition - Gives a Value to the song.

Romba munnadi SOTD la solli iruken indha paatai.

Majestic Sounds from the Wind instruments.

Lovely Beats......

IR's Guitar Works.....

guitar pesaradhai konjamum Gavanikadha SJ.....

SJ speaks with the beats...

Excellent Tabla ........... Violin responses perfectly...

Call and Response betweetn this Tabla and the Violin.....

tvsankar
4th February 2010, 07:24 PM
Yella alagamma - Tirunelveli

Arunmozhi and KSC

Nice rendition by Arunmozhi and KSC

Very sweet folk song.......

(Ravi nat dhan sollanam. idhu ellam enna type Ice Cream nu)

my opinion is - plain Venila...

Saagar
4th February 2010, 09:33 PM
raagas..

Narumana Malargalin - Great Strike !

Sureshs65
4th February 2010, 11:13 PM
raagas,

Your arrogant confidence is well placed :) As Saagar says, a lovely strike. A sixer which clears the boundary and the stadium. Never heard this before. And you very rightly placed this in the 'Tik Tik Tik' league. What a crazy genius this man is!!! Watch how he plays with us by keeping a very tight melodic line and not revealing the raga at the same time. The indications of Reethi Gowla exist but that it what it is, indications.

One side effect of going to the songs pointed by Usha is that you will land up in such unexpected gems.

jaiganes
5th February 2010, 12:40 AM
raagas,

Your arrogant confidence is well placed :) As Saagar says, a lovely strike. A sixer which clears the boundary and the stadium. Never heard this before. And you very rightly placed this in the 'Tik Tik Tik' league. What a crazy genius this man is!!! Watch how he plays with us by keeping a very tight melodic line and not revealing the raga at the same time. The indications of Reethi Gowla exist but that it what it is, indications.

One side effect of going to the songs pointed by Usha is that you will land up in such unexpected gems.

technically that song is brilliant, but what melts my heart is the mouname song - it hits some sweet spots in my heart that I stop in a trance...

irir123
5th February 2010, 04:39 AM
another gem "yen peru meenakshi" from kalyana katchery - has all the ingredients of the 1980s IR! the tune going up when SJ sings "nethu rathiri thookum" is vintage IR, and the guitar pluckings in the pallavi are IR's own style of funky jazz done 2 decades ago!

http://www.paadal.com/search?q=yen%20peru&ref=link&fieldName=song

kiru
5th February 2010, 08:49 AM
raagas,

technically that song is brilliant, but what melts my heart is the mouname song - it hits some sweet spots in my heart that I stop in a trance...
Can't agree more ..today I like azhagE azhagu dEvadhai vs andhi mazhai from raajapaarvai ..music is weird..arrangements..techniques..orchestration all take a back seat when the emotion is all it counts..
I have mentioned this before - for MSV it is just tune and tabla, for IR it is tune + tabla + bass guitar is all they need to create their masterpiece.

Sureshs65
5th February 2010, 01:57 PM
kiru,

Very true. One of the reasons why I love the old masterpieces, be it Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam or Hindi. The accent was on the emotion.

At the same time there is a definitely thrill when orchestration falls in place complementing the tune. One of the reasons why we listen to Raja again and again is that fact that there is something hidden and we make new discoveries every time. Very similar to how I feel when I listen to a group like 'Cream'. You can concentrate on any one aspect, be it the tune, the percussion, the bass guitar, the stings section or on how the whole thing comes together. Every aspect in minute detail will give you joy.

tvsankar
5th February 2010, 10:26 PM
ellarum neraiya pesi irukeengalae...

padikanam enna pesaneenganu..........

am listening

Ponmanitheril - Jeganmohini

wat a composition............

Vazhakam pola guitar etc dhan. Mood dhan........

Sanjeevi
5th February 2010, 10:38 PM
another gem "yen peru meenakshi" from kalyana katchery - has all the ingredients of the 1980s IR! the tune going up when SJ sings "nethu rathiri thookum" is vintage IR, and the guitar pluckings in the pallavi are IR's own style of funky jazz done 2 decades ago!

http://www.paadal.com/search?q=yen%20peru&ref=link&fieldName=song

hi thanks for introducing such a good song :D

tvsankar
5th February 2010, 10:52 PM
Unnai thedi thedi - Konji pesalam

Nice rendition by Sadhana

Simple but strong orchestration...

Dominating Guitar but sweet....

Friendly Beats.......... Singer ku vazhi kaatara madhiri.......

Excellent no from our IR....

tvsankar
5th February 2010, 10:54 PM
irir123 and sanjeevi,
Thanks for yen peru..

indha padathu paatai kaetahdae ilai....

SJ's rendiiton in IR tune... vera enna vendum...
Nalla iruku nu solradhuku........

thank you friends....

irir123
5th February 2010, 11:00 PM
tvsankar and sanjeevi - for ppl like me that acoustic feel of the real drums and guitars from songs like 'yen peru' are wat make the 1980s IR special and which he sacrificed replacing them with weird hollow sounding synth stuff in the mid 2000s! but he is back on track last 2 years!

tvsankar
5th February 2010, 11:01 PM
tvsankar and sanjeevi - for ppl like me that acoustic feel of the real drums and guitars from songs like 'yen peru' are wat make the 1980s IR special and which he sacrificed replacing them with weird hollow sounding synth stuff in the mid 2000s! but he is back on track last 2 years!

very nice description about the time and IR

tvsankar
5th February 2010, 11:04 PM
Indha poovukoru arasan

SPB and KSC

Nice song...

tvsankar
5th February 2010, 11:22 PM
Ramarajan - Lucky actor...

Arumbagi mottagi -

wat a beats.... enna oru Majestic........

tvsankar
5th February 2010, 11:47 PM
Kadhal maharani

Boss guitar lead guitar a act panradhu.........

tvsankar
5th February 2010, 11:55 PM
ADho andha nadhiyoram

wat a song...

Symphony ku oru thuliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.....

tvsankar
6th February 2010, 12:06 AM
Maalai nila - Kangalum kavi padudhae

indha IR irukarae - Ivar - oru Music University....

10 year ku oru Syllabus nu syllabus close panniduvar......

ovoru 10 years kum - Syllabus - Depth ku irukum....

Simple a irukum... ana simple ilai...

first puriyadhu..
piragudhan puriyum..

purindhadhum - romba pidithu pogum...

ana - syllabus avvalavu dhan..

Next Syllabus ai follow seiya vaipar........

adhanala dhan, IR paatai ellam
kaetundae irukom.... pesindae irukom.....

Shank
6th February 2010, 06:00 AM
Couple of songs that are always on my playlist are:

1. Arumbum Thalire - Chandralekha
2. Vandhal Vandhal - Oru Oorula Oru Rajakumari

We can keep writing pages about these two songs. The first one, of course, features no percussion, except for the last line and is beautifully composed. The second song has such an unusual tune progression (especially the stanzas) that it's quite difficult to just hum it and get the stanza negotiation right (atleast for a layman like me!). It's an incredible song...

The other aspect of both these songs is that they are predominantly synth based...and they are terrific!!

tvsankar
6th February 2010, 02:24 PM
Couple of songs that are always on my playlist are:

1. Arumbum Thalire - Chandralekha
2. Vandhal Vandhal - Oru Oorula Oru Rajakumari

We can keep writing pages about these two songs. The first one, of course, features no percussion, except for the last line and is beautifully composed. The second song has such an unusual tune progression (especially the stanzas) that it's quite difficult to just hum it and get the stanza negotiation right (atleast for a layman like me!). It's an incredible song...

The other aspect of both these songs is that they are predominantly synth based...and they are terrific!!

THanks for your nice description....

We can keep writing pages about these two songs - epo ezhudha poreenga....

Sanjeevi
6th February 2010, 08:06 PM
Priyathama Thama - Alapana (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rMTNYnexOY&feature=related) :notworthy:

It seems this song was not picturised but the guy who posted in youtube did a v.good job with his own creativity :)

Sureshs65
6th February 2010, 10:50 PM
Listening to this song now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs8CNiHFmWg

When the noted Malayalam music director, M G Radhakrishnan tells his brother M G Sreekumar that it takes a genius to tune such a Keeravani, what else can I add? My mp3 player refused to moved beyond this song !!!

Shank
6th February 2010, 11:30 PM
This song was a hit when the movie released in 1987. It's a college song and the energy is infectious...Vel Muruganukku from Puyal Paadum Pattu

http://www.paadal.com/album/puyal_paadum_paatu

And as usual, the trumpets, guitar and percussion come together to create magic...

There was some minor controversy with the lyrics when the song released but it was soon swept away and the movie also turned out to be a big hit...

Shank
6th February 2010, 11:31 PM
In the above song, also check out the stanza negotiation between a tabla rhythm and the western drums...vintage Raja!!

eagle
6th February 2010, 11:58 PM
"vel muruganukku" was that from "puyal paadum paatu"? i remember i saw the movie murali acted as drug addicted college student... the song was quite popular that time... hmmm... got hit by nostalgia... :cry2:

eagle
7th February 2010, 12:11 AM
Next in the nostalgia series.... songs from puthiya raagam (1991) Jayachitra's misadventure (or jeyasudha?)... in a flash it went out of theatres... but vidhi valiyathu in my case... saw the movie....those days no warning systems... also i was duty bound to see all the movies that got released :) ..

(thinking about it.. life has come a full circle..nowadays i dont go near to the theater at all...no new movie release makes me excited..:cry: )

like all the songs... top of it a raja solo "malligai mallai katti"....
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00526.html
Good news thiraipaadal.com is working now....

With raaja songs i never feel alone....

There is a line from poem by TS.Eliot (The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock)

"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons"

I think i can measure out my life with songs by Raaja !!! :D

venkkiram
7th February 2010, 02:05 AM
I think i can measure out my life with songs by Raaja !!! :D

மிகவும் சரி.

"அண்ணே அண்ணே சிப்பாய் அண்ணே" - கோழிக் கூவுது

ஆரம்ப பள்ளியில் படிக்கும் போது, இந்தப் பாடல் வெளிவந்து, பிரபலமடைந்த காலக்கட்டம். பாட்டு புத்தகம் இல்லாமலேயே மனப்பாடம் எங்களுக்கு. நண்பர்கள் சேர்ந்து வயலோர வரப்புகளில் ஓடி விளையாடும் போது, இந்தப் பாடலை உரக்க கத்தி பாடுவதுண்டு. பாடலின் வரிகளை குழுவில் உள்ள எல்லோரும் வசதிக்கேற்ப பிரித்துக் கொள்வோம். முக்கால் வாசி நாட்களில், "ஆளு யாருண்ணு பாக்க போனேன், அதுக்குள்ள ஓடிப் போச்சின்னே" பகுதி எனக்கு. நண்பர்களில் யாராவது ஒருவர்,இருவர் வரவில்லையென்றாலும், யாருக்கும் கவலையில்லை. ஏனெனில், எல்லோருக்கும் பாடலின் வரிகள் அப்படியே மனப்பாடம். ஒரே ஒரு நண்பன் - முருகன்- அவனுக்கு பாட்டு படிக்க வராது. "டேய்! நீ ஒண்ணும் பாட வேணாம், "கிடுகிடுடும்", "கிடுகிடுடும்" என்று சொன்னால் மட்டும் போதும்னு சொல்லி அவனையும் சேர்த்துக் கொண்டது இன்னும் நினைவில் இருக்கிறது.

ஆரம்ப பள்ளி முடிந்து ஏழாம், எட்டாம் வகுப்பு நாட்களில் எல்லோருக்கும் வீட்டில் சைக்கிள் வாங்கிக் கொடுத்த போது அப்போதும் இப்படித்தான். இப்போ நான் தனியாக இதே பாடலைக் கேட்டாலும், நண்பர்களின் சார்பாக விதவிதமாக குரலில் மாற்றி மாற்றி..

இசையின் அமைப்பும் சரி, வரிகளும் சரி - யுகங்கள் மாறினாலும் அப்படியே பசுமரத்தாணி போல.

Sureshs65
7th February 2010, 10:46 AM
I had not heard 'Vel Muruganuku' until very recently when RS introduced me to this song through his upload. A very irreverent song, what with the lyrics trying to tonsure Lord Muruga!!! I LOL when I heard it the first time. The tune compliments this sentiment very well.

Sureshs65
8th February 2010, 10:55 PM
Listening to 'Aatinkaraiyorathu' from Rasathantram. Well sung by Manjari. The second interlude has claps which immediately reminded me of the interlude of 'Swalpa jasthi sound maadu'.

tvsankar
9th February 2010, 10:08 PM
RAjadhi raja un thandhirangal - Mannan

NIce bass guitar..........

Sweet Beats........

2nd stanza - very Excellent.. IR's Own product....

tvsankar
9th February 2010, 11:41 PM
Raja raja dhan - oru orula rajakumari

Sweet beats...... Excellent composition.....

Sureshs65
9th February 2010, 11:44 PM
One of our fellow hubber pointed me to the song 'Unakenna Thaaney' from 'Ponnu Oorukku Pudusu' Never heard this song before, though I have heard the other songs from this film. An excellent song which wonderfully paints the rural imagery.

Listen to this at: http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00500.html

tvsankar
10th February 2010, 12:00 AM
suresh,
indha padathula one more beautiful song

"oru Manja kuruvi" by IR.

IR voice romba pidikum - indha paatula...

enna oru Guitar....

RAdio la , nalla kaeta Guitar Works..........

app_engine
10th February 2010, 01:50 AM
"poNNu oorukkuppudhusu" had just one male singer - IR :-) I think he decided none else is required for Sudhakar (the movie was a commercial success against all odds, IR being a major contributor).

It had 'Oram pO, rukkumaNi vaNdi varudhu' - the most popular song ever for IR (probably till today) and it blasted in every nook and corner of TN with absolutely no exceptions! Possibly one of those songs that were denied broadcasting by AIR and still had such widest reach!

I probably mentioned about this new tea shop that was opened during that time in Virudhunagar "bajaar" with the name "minor ILayarAjA maNa migu coffee bAr" with box speakers blasting out his numbers - Oram pO the mainstay during their inaugural days!

So popular was this number and the 'Oram pO' term that even after decades, there was a movie released with that name as title! And the 'paNNappuram' reference continues till today on movies it seems :-)

sAmakkOzhi is the sweetest of the songs from this movie (my most fav, the prelude and interludes are some of IR's best, "transport" stuff - IR / SPS)

sOlaikkuyilE, kAlaikkadhirE is a brilliant SPS number

oru manjakkuruvi - if I remember correct, was added on-screen sometime after the movie got released, remember seeing such ads on posters

unakkenaththAnE innEramA - nice mAttu vaNdi sound number!

irir123
10th February 2010, 02:16 AM
app_engine - "unakkenaththAnE innEramA" is more than just a "nice mAttu vaNdi sound number!"

so early in IR's career, it showcased his uncanny ability to paint visual imagery through a song's tune, arrangement, singing (this song wud have had the rural imagery/feel, even WITHOUT the 'mattu vandi' sounds, tats the power of IR's music!)

tvsankar
10th February 2010, 11:00 AM
app and irir123,
Nice descriptions..........

Unakena thanae innerama - Village la irukum podhu,

andha vaazhkaiyil vaazhum podhu,

IR songs - Reallllllllly He is Great.....

Village il - MGR and Sivaji padam matum dhan varum.

adhu dhan - pudhuso, pazhaso - 5 vaaram oodum.

1 naal 2 nalaikaga - KB padam or vera padam varum.

indha Soozhnilaiyil dhan IR vandhar.

Annakili il irundhu, ella padangalum, IR music kaga
Enga oorai pola Village ku vara arambithadhu.......

Apadi vandhavarakum indha IR...........

ellaraiyum Vaazha Vaitha Dheivam...... :D

tvsankar
10th February 2010, 11:05 AM
Cinema paarpadhu - thavaru enra kaalakattam adhu..

Adhilum, especially, pengal , padam parka koodadhu enra kalam adhu.

Andha time il, IR music kaga, padamaga vandhadhu- Theatre il...

amma vidam permission and amma dhanae thunaiku varanam - romba kashsta pattu partha padangal ivai ellam...

IR padam parka amma enaku varanam - then
en amma oru bond potanga en kite...

"Naan kupidara old movies ku ellam nee varanam. apo dhan IR music padathuku naan varuven" enru...
hahahhahah....

Idhil - en thatha - avaruku cinema vae pidikadhu.

thatha ku theiryama poganam cinema ku....

naanga padam pona pinnadi - paati thatha kite solli irukanga "Ilaiyaraja nu oruthan Music panninadham. adhan padathuku poi iruka"

tvsankar
10th February 2010, 11:10 AM
Veetil - madhyanam or eve = vegama velai
seivadhai parthu en thatha comments,

"Ellarum vegama iyangaranga.. enna vishayam...
Ilaiyaraja va.. padathuku poganama?"
hahhahahhaa

Radio la paatu vecha, Thatha thittuvar - andha Ilaiyaraja vai konjam niruthungo. naan solradhai sollitu poren.....

Radio la IR paatu kaetkum podhu,
Yar pechaiyum kaeta matom. hahahhahaha...

tvsankar
10th February 2010, 11:15 AM
Radio vil - pudhu film songs kaetal,
kashta pattu, tune nyabagam vechindu
padam per nyabgam vechindu - idhu ellam
romba kashtam and periya vishayam appo ellam....

Manja kuruvi -

Radio vil first kaetkum podhu,
(Antena wire ai poi pidikanam. apo dhan Guitar satham kaetkum...)

Indha paatuku - Antena Wire - semaiya Vibrate aradhu......
hahhahaha.......

vel
10th February 2010, 03:57 PM
hi usha, great nostalgic memories from you :)

Plum
10th February 2010, 04:40 PM
poNNu Urukku pudhusu - I didnt realise that all above songs are from this movie. oru unakkena thAnEkkE gold standard kodukkalamnu irundhEn.

sOlaikkuyilE - what a song! The song oozes a pleasant morning by the side of a paddy field ambience.
The orchestration is so apt and invoking the feel of the environment intended.

70's Raja - some of us, I guess, hold on to him very dearly - there is something in there which Raja himself never captured again I believe - especially when it comes to songs, their freshness, spontaneity and impact. I guess the gramathan in him slolwy has been pushed to the background now, and sophistication pervades all the efforts.
( I am a child of the 80's though, and this instant connection to the 70's is something that baffles me - I am actualyl nostalgic for these songs that I dont have a memory of childhood imprint of, and not the 80's which have all the reason to be associated with my childhood memories. )

geno
10th February 2010, 06:20 PM

sOlaikkuyilE - what a song! The song oozes a pleasant morning by the side of a paddy field ambience.
The orchestration is so apt and invoking the feel of the environment intended.

70's Raja - some of us, I guess, hold on to him very dearly - there is something in there which Raja himself never captured again I believe - especially when it comes to songs, their freshness, spontaneity and impact.

My feelings too, pretty close to this - generally abt 70s songs of IR.

sOlaikkuyilE - was SP Shailaja's debut song?

The last IR song that i heard was "sangathil sollAtha kavithai angathil yAr thanthathu"...

....mmm..mellifluous and caressing! Dont remember the movie though..

Sureshs65
10th February 2010, 10:18 PM
Plum,

As I had earlier said, there is something magical about the 70s Raja. It is almost as if you are on a drug!!! It is just not possible to get out of there. I have the same feeling as you regarding the emotional connect to these songs though I haven't heard many of them when released, me being in Hyd. The only other segment which I have such an emotional connect, having not heard even a single one of them when released, are the Raja's 80s songs in Malayalam. They rival the Tamil 70s. (Hmmm. This debate must probably move to eagle's thread!! We are confusing him but discussing this here and everything else in that thread :lol: )

geno: 'sangathil' superb song. I think the only song Brahmanandam sang for Raja. From 'Metti oli'

irir123: Thanks for pointing to the 'unnakkennathane' song. As you say, Raja paints vivid imagery with his music.

rajkumarc
11th February 2010, 07:28 AM
There is one other song in Ponnukku Oorukku Pudhusu - "Veetukkoru Magan Pola" sung by IR.

A soulful pathos by Raaja which melts your heart... no surprises there. What stood out was the interludes. They perfectly portray the feeling of doom (the death of the cow in the movie) and the loss of someone dear.

I love his pathos songs very much. I don't have much personal events or happenings to relate to the scenarios depicted. But the song eventually touches something deep down inside me and I continue to enjoy those songs even if it invokes sadness.

Also, the voice of IR in his early songs is so raw and rustic without any sophistications. As Plum wrote earlier, you could very clearly see that Gramathaan in his voice as well.

ananth222
11th February 2010, 08:20 AM
what gross injustice!!! This song is a rustic beauty and the "maattu vandi" sound is the last thing to notice about it. Its a really sweet captivating song... in desh with traces of "jai jagdeesh hare" in some phrases... what a charming song!

jaiganes
11th February 2010, 09:24 AM
poAkkum varavum punarvum illaap punniyanE
en sindhanayuL Utraana unnaar amudhe .. udayaanE

There is nothing comparable to the feeling of listening to Thiruvasagam burnt off apple itunes download - the bass lines which I missed earlier now coming clear in the car stereo - it is sheer bliss - particularly the bass tune of 'muthu natraamam' is spell binding.

Best choral work of Ilaiyaraaja (or any other composer I have heard so far) by a fair distance.

app_engine
11th February 2010, 09:36 AM
Looks like most people love 'unakkenaththAnE innEramA' :-)

Due to the huge popularity of other songs those days, this one was hardly noticed (as a matter of fact). I probably listened to this only a very few times (while sAmakkOzhi, sOlaikkuyilE were countless times and Oram pO was the hittest of the times - one has no choice but to listen to this practically everyday from somewhere).

I'll probably give it a calm listen soon :-)

tvsankar
11th February 2010, 10:27 AM
indha padathiil kaetahdhum pidicha paatu
- Unakaena thanae innerama...

becoz of the reality...

andha night mood, maatu vandi satham,
maatu kite padaradhu....

Idhai ellam ennoda village il anubavichu iruken.

Adhai ellam vida sweet a iruku.. IR tune la....

tvsankar
11th February 2010, 10:30 AM
En paati oru IR Fan.

Her picks are

1. Machana partheengala

2, Senthazham poovil
3. poovarasam poo poothachu and kovil mani osai

4.SOLAI KUYILAE - indha paatai kaetadhum
en kite solra - naan sonanenae madhyamavathi - idhu dhan.. Ilaiyaraja ragama nalla tune podaran.

5. Thalatu maari ponadhae -

6.kadaisiya - Poovae poochoda vaa....

apram en kite irukalai en paaati. apparam sila varusham kazhichu irandhum poitanga..

tvsankar
11th February 2010, 10:31 AM
Vel,
Thanks for the nice words....

tvsankar
11th February 2010, 10:38 AM
Ponnu ooruku pudhusu - indha padam vandha podhu inga sila per
child nu sollindanga...

naan apo - 10th std......sorry. naan 9th std.

paatiyum enga kuda radiola - nalla IR paatai kaetpanga...

apo thatha paatiyai thittuvar - Neeyum ivaloda
Ilaiyaraja ku poitaiyaa... vaa inga... ennai gavani nu.......
hahahha

tvsankar
11th February 2010, 10:40 AM
Nanum, en Friend um - shanbaga poo color la
half saree vangika asai pattu plan panninom.

oru manja kuruvi - paatu vandhadhum
plan ai cancel pannitom......... hhehhe.....

geno
11th February 2010, 12:32 PM
geno: 'sangathil' superb song. I think the only song Brahmanandam sang for Raja. From 'Metti oli'

I guess it is not 'metti oli', but from some vijayakanth movie.

This morning i heard "vasantha kAla kOlangaL.." from "thiyAgam"!

Melancholy enRa sollukku muzhu poruLaiyum uNaravaikkum isai!

Sureshs65
11th February 2010, 07:27 PM
geno,

I must be mistaken. Maybe you were referring to the Tamil version of 'Thumbee Vaa' from Auto Raja?

'vasantha kala kolangal'. One of those glorious 70s songs. In a function, Raja tells how casually Kannadasan wrote the song. The tune takes complex turns but Kannadasan was supposed to be a master in negotiating the turns. In the same program Raja also talks about how effortlessly Kannadasan composed 'then sindhude vanam'.

Plum
11th February 2010, 09:00 PM
Brahmanandam song "sandha kavigaL pAdidum" from Metti(not metti oli, which is a crap serial from SUN TV stables!).

Sangathil padadha is from Auto Raja - yes it is thhumbi vaa redux

Sureshs65
12th February 2010, 12:55 AM
After reading Jeyamohan's blog listening to 'kottaya vittu' from Chinnataayi: http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00095.html

As Jeyamohan says, Raja gets in the whole culture of deep south in his tunes. 'kottaya vittu' is once again based on his favorite Mayamalavagowla, but a different flavor!! Very well sung by the kids.

ananth222
12th February 2010, 03:40 AM
'kottaya vittu' is once again based on his favorite Mayamalavagowla, but a different flavor!! Very well sung by the kids.
'kottaya vittu' always reminds me of S Ve Shekher's "Periyathambi" - awesome comedy (audio) drama! SVS used lots of song bits in all his dramas, many from IR songs... very interesting game to spot the songs.

Shank
12th February 2010, 07:40 AM
I was listening to "Kaise Kahoon" from Nandu (1981). What an awesome composition!! When I hear it, it feels so apt for an Amol Palekar or Hrishikesh Mukherjee type film. Even if the interludes are tamil sounding, the feel of the song is really great. I also love the tune progression and the stanza negotiations (I have said this repeatedly for many songs). In my opinion, Raja is a foremost master when it comes to stanza negotiation skill (Suresh, MGS's interview about the Kaalapani song comes to mind). An aboslutely fabulous song...enjoy!!

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00409.html

geno
12th February 2010, 10:03 AM
geno,

I must be mistaken. Maybe you were referring to the Tamil version of 'Thumbee Vaa' from Auto Raja?

'vasantha kala kolangal'. One of those glorious 70s songs. In a function, Raja tells how casually Kannadasan wrote the song. The tune takes complex turns but Kannadasan was supposed to be a master in negotiating the turns. In the same program Raja also talks about how effortlessly Kannadasan composed 'then sindhude vanam'.

Thanks. I also remember the absolute effortlessness with which Kannadasan wrote the lyrics for "nERRu intha nEram ARRangarai Oram"(tik tik tik), as narrated by vairamuthu, who was with IR and KD during the composition. lovely song!

tvsankar
12th February 2010, 10:11 AM
I was listening to "Kaise Kahoon" from Nandu (1981). What an awesome composition!! When I hear it, it feels so apt for an Amol Palekar or Hrishikesh Mukherjee type film. Even if the interludes are tamil sounding, the feel of the song is really great. I also love the tune progression and the stanza negotiations (I have said this repeatedly for many songs). In my opinion, Raja is a foremost master when it comes to stanza negotiation skill (Suresh, MGS's interview about the Kaalapani song comes to mind). An aboslutely fabulous song...enjoy!!

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00409.html

thanks for the song. Very Nice Description about IR and the composition....

Non stop aga kaetundae irukalam - indha oru paataiyae...

analum - Paatai kaetachu. podhum enra satisfaction kedaikadhu....
apadi oru Haunting composiition....

tvsankar
12th February 2010, 11:56 AM
poonthotam - S P Shailaja - Nadhiyai thedi vandha kadal

Nice one.

Great Violin works.

innocent voice of SPS

Maanodum padhaiyilae - PS - Kavikuyil

Indha paatai ellam kaetka kashta patta natkal dhan ninaivil varum.,

Radio vil adhigam vaika padadha padal ellam.............

tvsankar
12th February 2010, 12:03 PM
Vaasam veesudhae - SPS - Ketti Melam

Guitar - Sticks in my Heart....

Flute - as usual, friend of the singer....

Beats - Singerai kooti kondu pogiradhu...

Beautiful Keyboard.........

Haunting Tune.
Excellent Rendition by SPS

Suham Suham.........

IR and Female singers -

IR gives a Great Value........

Sureshs65
13th February 2010, 12:07 AM
Shank,

Thanks for pointing out the Nandu song. I have heard the Tamil songs earlier but haven't heard this composition. As you say, the interludes are typical Raja of those days. The tune is wonderfully structured. Janaki does a lovely job but I feel it would have been great had Lata sung this during her prime. The accent would have been perfect. The lyrics are quite good, in fact far better than what we hear in Raja's later Hindi songs ('Paa' being an exception.)

I always feel that Raja trademark is the way he structures the charanam. The melodic quotient keeps increasing and when you are wondering how he is going to get back to the pallavi, he does a master act of gliding in unexpected ways and lands perfectly at the pallavi. Very intricate and at the same time very appealing as well.

Sureshs65
13th February 2010, 12:33 AM
Listening to 'kaiyetha kombathu' from Vinodayatra
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzIg98T85yA

This is 70s Raja again. He creates a romantic idealized world, where even the deepest sorrow is tinged with happiness, where nothing can go wrong. In short, with music he conveys the current buzz phrase 'All Izz Well'. As usual, the flute aids him in creating such a feeling. Sometimes I think he is deliberately avoiding the flute nowadays so as to not give this particular feeling. Just listen to the flute in the second interlude. Can you blame someone if he/she then thinks that God is in his place and all is well with this world?

Songs like this make me think that Raja very deliberately and knowingly moved away from his 70s tuning so as to keep expanding his frontiers. It is very easy to get lost in that magical world, something which is much more beautiful than what Cameron created for 'Avatar'.

Sureshs65
13th February 2010, 12:37 AM
ananth,

Dig: I too have that tape of 'Periya Tambi'. A hilarious comedy. It is indeed a good pastime trying to figure out Raja songs as well as which movies they were doing 'ulta' now :)

ajithfederer
14th February 2010, 12:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_RvYp8DZac

I've said this before and I am saying it Again. The opening 30 seconds has one of the most cockiest beats and drums I've ever heard. Total tharumaaru and Thagaraaru. Many a times i've just replayed the opening bit for atleast 10 times. But this video lacks the elder kamal questioning Janagaraj engada en payyan and the younger Kamal riding in the bullet.

Sanjeevi
14th February 2010, 11:22 AM

I've said this before and I am saying it Again. The opening 30 seconds has one of the most cockiest beats and drums I've ever heard. Total tharumaaru and Thagaraaru. Many a times i've just replayed the opening bit for atleast 10 times. But this video lacks the elder kamal questioning Janagaraj engada en payyan and the younger Kamal riding in the bullet.

Super

Always I connect the above song with the below song. dont know why? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5lSz-CzPvw

irir123
14th February 2010, 12:18 PM

aahaa! is that jeyamalini or anuradha - whoever it is, nice nostalgia! the use of urumi melam in the interludes is simply whacky!

Sureshs65
14th February 2010, 07:11 PM
Listening to 'Gum Sum Gum' from 'Paa'. I am convinced this totally a different song and not a remake of 'thumbi vaa' :) I mean, 'akasam enatido' is an exactly copy of 'thumbi vaa' but the overall orchestration of 'gum sum gum' and the singing is so very different that the feeling you get when listening to the song is quite different from what you get when you hear 'thumbi vaa'. Also listening to 'gali mudi' of Shaan. Easily one of Shaan's best songs.

baroque
15th February 2010, 03:00 AM
Valentine's Day wishes to you all!

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs=%27SNGIRR2842%27
Ilayaraaja is very romantic! :swinghead:
Karthik is CUTE :D
LOVERboy's vocals! :musicsmile:
flute fill-ins at the end of the phrases..mesmerizing
Strings counterpoint!

love somebody, yes I do!
who's the one that I like best?
I might tell who it may be..
YOU'RE THE ONE, Oh! CAN'T YOU SEE!

vinatha. :)

Bala (Karthik)
15th February 2010, 05:53 AM
Shank,

Thanks for pointing out the Nandu song. I have heard the Tamil songs earlier but haven't heard this composition. As you say, the interludes are typical Raja of those days. The tune is wonderfully structured. Janaki does a lovely job but I feel it would have been great had Lata sung this during her prime. The accent would have been perfect. The lyrics are quite good, in fact far better than what we hear in Raja's later Hindi songs ('Paa' being an exception.)

I always feel that Raja trademark is the way he structures the charanam. The melodic quotient keeps increasing and when you are wondering how he is going to get back to the pallavi, he does a master act of gliding in unexpected ways and lands perfectly at the pallavi. Very intricate and at the same time very appealing as well.
Wonderfully described as usual by Suresh/Shank

Is it in Madhyamavathi?

Bala (Karthik)
15th February 2010, 06:26 AM
"poNNu oorukkuppudhusu" had just one male singer - IR :-) I think he decided none else is required for Sudhakar (the movie was a commercial success against all odds, IR being a major contributor).

It had 'Oram pO, rukkumaNi vaNdi varudhu' - the most popular song ever for IR (probably till today) and it blasted in every nook and corner of TN with absolutely no exceptions! Possibly one of those songs that were denied broadcasting by AIR and still had such widest reach!

I probably mentioned about this new tea shop that was opened during that time in Virudhunagar "bajaar" with the name "minor ILayarAjA maNa migu coffee bAr" with box speakers blasting out his numbers - Oram pO the mainstay during their inaugural days!

So popular was this number and the 'Oram pO' term that even after decades, there was a movie released with that name as title! And the 'paNNappuram' reference continues till today on movies it seems :-)

sAmakkOzhi is the sweetest of the songs from this movie (my most fav, the prelude and interludes are some of IR's best, "transport" stuff - IR / SPS)

sOlaikkuyilE, kAlaikkadhirE is a brilliant SPS number

oru manjakkuruvi - if I remember correct, was added on-screen sometime after the movie got released, remember seeing such ads on posters

Enjoying posts like these and the follow-ups by Plum, Suresh and kuzhuvinar. Please keep them coming :notworthy:

Neenga ellam kuduthu vechavanga (those who were vevaram therinjavanga when the IR phenomenon happened). 78 la porandha naan konjam late :(

ananth222
15th February 2010, 07:25 AM
78 la porandha naan konjam late :(
Bala, I'm also 78 born, and feel just the same :(
but discovering these songs fresh now is also a great feeling, one that only we can enjoy! :)
I've been bowled over by numerous "oldies" hearing them for the first time 20-25 years after they were made.
One such gem is "yeriyile elanthamaram" from "Karaiyellam shenbagapoo":
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00278.html
fear not, Raja has given us a universe to explore!

ajithfederer
15th February 2010, 08:05 AM
Even I've heard this before. Quite a whacky song by MV. Murali is the hero.

Vel Muruganukku - Puyal Paadum Paattu (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00536.html)

Been a long while since i listened to this song
:ty: Shank for reminding me of this yesteryear hit.

This song is just unbelievable, wacky magic :notworthy:

This song was a hit when the movie released in 1987. It's a college song and the energy is infectious...Vel Muruganukku from Puyal Paadum Pattu

http://www.paadal.com/album/puyal_paadum_paatu

And as usual, the trumpets, guitar and percussion come together to create magic...
also check out the stanza negotiation between a tabla rhythm and the western drums...vintage Raja!!

There was some minor controversy with the lyrics when the song released but it was soon swept away and the movie also turned out to be a big hit...

ajithfederer
15th February 2010, 09:09 AM
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00120.html

Thenmadurai Vaigainadhi - Ennnnaa paatu ya. Sothayae eludhi vekkalam IR'kku. :D.

Sureshs65
15th February 2010, 12:18 PM
Bala / Ananth,

By saying that you missed the 80s because you were born in 78, you now have the 'poramai' of the oldies for being so young :lol: I too missed Raja of those not due to being too young :) but being out of T Nadu. In a way we guys are lucky because we have a lot to look forward to in terms of discovering Raja. Like the song that Ananth has pointed out. This will have someone like app_eng go, "what the heck. these guys know nothing" and we can claim we are 'youth' :lol:

Bala: The pallavi of the Nandu song is Madhyamavathi but the charanam has Raja's own twist to it. The interludes continue with Madhywamavathi. Can't place which ragam the charanam is based on.

equanimus
15th February 2010, 01:58 PM
Neenga ellam kuduthu vechavanga (those who were vevaram therinjavanga when the IR phenomenon happened). 78 la porandha naan konjam late :(
But '78 is still awesome, I say. :twisted: I came in 5 years later and had no sense of the Raaja phenomenon as it happened. The man was already a monarch of sorts. Raaja is one respect in which I am truly jealous of the 70s-born.

tvsankar
15th February 2010, 02:38 PM
about IR - Before Annakili,

sila padam - sila songs - tamil, kannada, telugu and Hindi - indha lanaguage il,

special aga thonum enaku.

andha sila padalgalai - romba asaiyga kaetpen.
apo en age - 9 to 12

indha time il dhan Annaikili vandhadhu...

Nejamavae Silirthu ponen.

ithanai naalaga - konjama inspire pannina tunes ellam
orae timel - full a kedacha madhrii sandhosham.

kavikuyil - kuyilae kavikuyilae

lyrics ai kaetadhum - silirthu ponen

Ennai aatkonda - enna oru impressive words.
raagam endrum oru raagamae.....

Sureshs65
15th February 2010, 02:56 PM
equa,

You are now making Bala feel jealous about your age :lol:

Plum
15th February 2010, 03:20 PM
But '78 is still awesome, I say. :twisted: I came in 5 years later and had no sense of the Raaja phenomenon as it happened. The man was already a monarch of sorts. Raaja is one respect in which I am truly jealous of the 70s-born.

paravAillai - atleast we have this for YOU to be jealous about US! It's usually the other way around :-)

Bala (Karthik)
15th February 2010, 06:14 PM
Bala / Ananth,

By saying that you missed the 80s because you were born in 78, you now have the 'poramai' of the oldies for being so young :lol: I too missed Raja of those not due to being too young :) but being out of T Nadu. In a way we guys are lucky because we have a lot to look forward to in terms of discovering Raja. Like the song that Ananth has pointed out. This will have someone like app_eng go, "what the heck. these guys know nothing" and we can claim we are 'youth' :lol:

Bala: The pallavi of the Nandu song is Madhyamavathi but the charanam has Raja's own twist to it. The interludes continue with Madhywamavathi. Can't place which ragam the charanam is based on.
Suresh,
80s Raaja ellam "blaed" la oori pochu. To be at an age where one can be aware of the phenomenon (andha tea kadai impac, omnipresence etc) happening in the 70s is what my generation would have missed

Bala (Karthik)
15th February 2010, 06:15 PM
:lol:

equa,
You are now making Bala feel jealous about your age :lol:

paravAillai - atleast we have this for YOU to be jealous about US! It's usually the other way around :-)

raagas
15th February 2010, 07:46 PM
I am listening to "Kaathirundha" from Mallu Vetti Minor.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00337.html

There is something peculiar about this composition. It has shades of Amritavarshini. But it does not completely have the flavour. There seems to be another raaga involved. But i dont sense any abrupt raaga shift anywhere. I find it mysterious. I still have a doubt about presence of Amritavarshini. Is it really there? or just an array of few notes that is giving me that feeling?

Very peculiar composition. Unusual.

jaiganes
15th February 2010, 11:10 PM
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00116.html

Anbe vaa - cracker of a song...

jaiganes
15th February 2010, 11:23 PM
And 'Kinnaaram kinnaaram' from the song - SPB has sung a Janaki song and has succeeded greatly at that.
Soul soaking melody - Usha chechi has to write about this song.

Bala (Karthik)
16th February 2010, 12:17 AM
raagas,

Sounds like Chala Naattai in some places...

Sureshs65
16th February 2010, 12:32 AM
raagas,

The Amrithavarshini does exists, atleast in the pallavi. Especially when Susheela ends it. (The prelude reminds me of the Agni Natchatram song.) The ragam does change in the charanam. After the first two lines it changes to Vasantha and before you get a hang of Vasantha he has descended again into Amrithavarshini. Absolutely confusing and absolutely delightful!!!

Sureshs65
16th February 2010, 12:36 AM
Jai,

Thanks for pointing to the 'Anbe Vaa' song. This can easily go into the 'complex rhythm of Raja' thread and can form the material for another post of Vicky :D

Sureshs65
16th February 2010, 12:45 AM
raagas,

Aaah. What a confusing song you have pointed me to!!! On second listen I am not sure of Vasantha. Amrithavarshini does exist and somewhere along the line he goes off it and returns back. Can't understand what he is doing!! The ragam does change during the line when the rhythm changes in the charanam and comes back to the original melody. Secondly, in the first and second lines of the charanam he seems to change the raga. Atleast the Amrithavarshini flavor isn't there. The one thing that really stuns me is that the overall feel is so very organic and not like two ragas stiched together!! (Two ragas not two raagas :D )

As they say in Telugu while giving up, 'ippudu evaraina magadu ravali' to decipher this song!!

app_engine
16th February 2010, 03:43 AM
கட்டி வச்சுக்கோ எந்தன் அன்பு மனச (மலேசியா வாசுதேவன், ஜானகி - என் ஜீவன் பாடுது)

When I heard this song on my sister's van yesterday during the long drive (left the CD's in my car and was restless, fortunately her vehicle had an 'aux-in' port and my son hooked up first his ipod and later my notebook to get the endless flow of songs), the history of my affair with this song ran through the mind...

During late 80's, there was a period when I wasn't frequenting Coimbatore which resulted in missing a lot of IR's output. While the echo cassettes of big stars / directors still found their way to me, the "recording center" stuff was non-existent. This was also the period I fell in love with PM's instrumentals which were the mainstay on the walkman.

Then a trip to Chennai and a reunion with my cousin happened. Like always before, it was TFM that occupied most of our time together.

While I tried to share with him my new-found-love for PM (he wasn't impressed, as he didn't find his most-preferred-instruments i.e. the human voices in them), he started sharing his latest IR recordings with me.

then pANdiththamizhE was the first one and it was straight ascension to sky for me at the first interlude. Then came this song that had my whole body shivering:-)

When Janaki starts as "தனியா தவமிருந்து, இந்த ராசாத்தி கேட்டதென்ன...
மனம் போல் வரம் கொடுத்து, இந்த ராசாவும் வந்ததென்ன" and stretches some syllables, what else can one get?

Well, since my cousin had tons of songs, I had to devour all like a hungry person that day. After returning to Palakkad, went to the only "recording center" there and got as many as I could get and this song was on a "daily-night-service". Alas, after a while, that cassette was loaned to someone never to return.

It wasn't until years later that this song returned to me in the shape of 'tabla hits of IR' - a pre-recorded cassette in a small shop in Kalmandapam of Palakkad. That was in the year 2000. After being the mainstay in most car journeys, that cassette was lost as well.

It wasn't until years later I got it on my machine. In any case, due to the "over-supply" "abundance" problem with IR, no song gets missed or continues to be in the play list of any person :-) Only when we hear them back, the whole history of "how we met first and fell in love with" comes back to memory:-)

Sureshs65
16th February 2010, 09:54 AM
app_eng,

Lovely reminiscences as usual. Haven't heard this song. You and Jai have given me a lot of homework (as Usha Chechi says.)

In case of Raja, as you rightly point out, the "over supply" is a problem, leading you to fatigue sometimes :) For digging takes effort but the rewards are guaranteed.

tvsankar
16th February 2010, 10:40 AM
app,
Very NIce write up.

naan TFM page ku vandha naal nyabagam varudhu.
apo indha madhiri neraiya ezhudhuveenga.

apo enaku oru periya kuzhapam irundhadhu.

Yar ellam IR fans... enna vishayam .....
hehhhehe

Ungaloda post elam confirm pannithu enaku - Neenga nejama IR Fan..

indha app ai nambalam nu..........
hehhehehe
Andha naal nyabagam Nenjilae vandhadhae....

raagas
16th February 2010, 11:34 AM
raagas,

Aaah. What a confusing song you have pointed me to!!! On second listen I am not sure of Vasantha. Amrithavarshini does exist and somewhere along the line he goes off it and returns back. Can't understand what he is doing!! The ragam does change during the line when the rhythm changes in the charanam and comes back to the original melody. Secondly, in the first and second lines of the charanam he seems to change the raga. Atleast the Amrithavarshini flavor isn't there. The one thing that really stuns me is that the overall feel is so very organic and not like two ragas stiched together!! (Two ragas not two raagas :D )

As they say in Telugu while giving up, 'ippudu evaraina magadu ravali' to decipher this song!!

You exactly paraphrased my post finally.. :D. See, this is what i was talking about. This one is very unique and strange. We can sense the raagam but again it doesnt appear to be there. And as you said, it is very organic, with no abrupt shift. ento! Life lo peddha regret okkate okati.. naa teens lo nenu Chennai ki paaripoyi..IR dhaggara studio-boy laaga cheripovaalsindhi.. or atleast teaboy laaga....Swathi Muthyam lo Kamal Haasan Somayajulu ni peedichinattu nenu koodaa "nannu cherchokondi" ani ventapadithe definitely oppukune vaadu..Pch.. fatal mistake of my life... seriously. (i hope hubbers excuse me for the telugu here.. came in natural flow :-) )

raagas
16th February 2010, 03:30 PM
Suresh,

I wrote about this song "Kaathirundha" to a very close friend of mine, who shares my passion for IR music in equal measure. He has been learning carnatic music since 5 years. He replied back to my query and solved the mystery. Here is what he wrote:

"The raga is most likely "ponni S G3 M2 P N3 S - S N3 P M2 G3 R1 S".Your suspicions of Amritavarshini are true to an extent because the arohana of the raga is exactly like Amritavarshini. Avarohana is the same too EXCEPT for the use of shuddha Rishabham (R1).

Now, coming to why this raga sounds like a single unit instead of two distinct ragas. It is simply because both the ragas that it should have sounded like are 1) very very familiar to us and 2) very close themselves except for a few notes (which enables this apparent unified structure). The two ragas are Amritavarshini and Pantuvarali (our kamavardhini). Pantuvarali is S R1 G3 M2 P D1 N3 S. If you remove R1 and D1 it is nothing but Amritavarshini. However, Amritavarshini doesn't have lot of gamakas but Pantuvarali has quite a few in Karnatik way of singing. Infact, Ponni is a derivative of Pantuvarali where in the avarohana the D1 is removed, but the R1 is retained. The genius of IR is in the fact that, he could create that distinct contour of this raga as different from both Pantuvarali and Amritavarshini so that even someone who is decently familiar with ragas can actually tell that it is neither Amritavarshini nor Pantuvarali."

Ah! Finally, I am at peace. When it comes to Ilaiyaraaja's music, I become little possessed like a music-detective..say a musical-secrets seeking Sherlock Holmes :D.. in pursuit of the truth. Cant rest till i explore and find out.And as i keep exploring, Ilaiyaraaja keeps throwing newer puzzles. They are my food for thought :) I think i should change my hub-name from raagas to Holmes, because I am a fan of Holmes too :)

tvsankar
16th February 2010, 03:39 PM
raagas,

You exactly paraphrased my post finally.. :D. See, this is what i was talking about. This one is very unique and strange. We can sense the raagam but again it doesnt appear to be there. And as you said, it is very organic, with no abrupt shift. ento! Life lo peddha regret okkate okati.. naa teens lo nenu Chennai ki paaripoyi..IR dhaggara studio-boy laaga cheripovaalsindhi.. or atleast teaboy laaga....Swathi Muthyam lo Kamal Haasan Somayajulu ni peedichinattu nenu koodaa "nannu cherchokondi" ani ventapadithe definitely oppukune vaadu..Pch.. fatal mistake of my life... seriously. (i hope hubbers excuse me for the telugu here.. came in natural flow :-) )

raagas,
excuse ellam kaekadheenga.. apo apo telugu la ezhudhunga.
want to learn Telugu........
Unmaiyaga solren.

When Necessary comes, Learning will be Done.

tvsankar
16th February 2010, 03:42 PM
ragaas,
oru song - kaathirundha malli malli

indha discussion ai padiakren.

another one more song - engae sonnenga.. enna song...

theiryama thedaranae..........

Jaianes sonna - kinnaram - inum kaekalai......

raagas
16th February 2010, 04:08 PM
Ushagaaru..

"excuse ellam kaekadheenga.. apo apo telugu la ezhudhunga.
Unmaiyaga solren.
indha discussion ai padiakren.

engae sonnenga.. enna song...

theiryama thedaranae..........

Jaianes sonna - kinnaram - inum kaekalai......"

yenakku tamil theriyadhu. sorry :( will have to wait for someone here to translate that. :) may be Suresh or Plum will do the honours.:)

Bala (Karthik)
16th February 2010, 04:31 PM
I second this

excuse ellam kaekadheenga.. apo apo telugu la ezhudhunga.
want to learn Telugu........
Unmaiyaga solren.

When Necessary comes, Learning will be Done.
Raagas,
"Please don't ask excuses. Keep writing in Telugu now and then. (want to learn Telugu), i mean it" :)

raagas
16th February 2010, 05:38 PM
Bala,

Thanks for that.

Ushagaaru,

Will surely write in telugu as and when posisble.:)

and for my following comment: "ento! Life lo peddha regret okkate okati.. naa teens lo nenu Chennai ki paaripoyi..IR dhaggara studio-boy laaga cheripovaalsindhi.. or atleast teaboy laaga....Swathi Muthyam lo Kamal Haasan Somayajulu ni peedichinattu nenu koodaa "nannu cherchokondi" ani ventapadithe definitely oppukune vaadu..Pch.. "

the translation is:

I have one regret in my life. I should have run away to Chennai in my teens. I should have joined as studio-boy or atleast tea-boy in IR's studio. I should have adamantly requested IR, by pursuing him endlessly, just like Kamal Haasan requests Somayajulu in Sipikkul Mutthu (i think thats the tamil version of Swathi Muthyam). He would have obliged.Atleast that way, i would have seen the genesis of wonderful creations and would have sought all my answers, for technical queries, from the man himself.

Plum
16th February 2010, 05:54 PM
yenakku tamil theriyadhu. sorry will have to wait for someone here to translate that. may be Suresh or Plum will do the honours.

AhA! kaivasam oru thozhil irukku pOlirukke - job pOna enna pandradhunnu kavala pattukittirundhEn :-)

raagas, for you: udhyogam evainA pOthe EntA chEsedhi ani kangaru paDDA(n). E oka mArgam(translation) undhani thelusukunnA(n) mee post chadhivi :-)

thumburu
16th February 2010, 05:54 PM
about Sri Devi.

"ada poda poda
ulagam perusu
nee oru podi dubba"

indha Sri Devi - I like her very much.

indha Sri Devi madhiri, iruka pinnal pinnidu,
eye brows ku naduvul, sticker vechindu (Nethiyil illai sticker :D ),
naan and en friends ellarum style pannindu,
ellar manasilum - Sri Devi nu nenapu.... hehheheh

hi Usha, you echoed our style icon Sridevi's effect on us teenage girls [ even now!!!] .My world came crashing down when the moral brigade teachers in my school declared the dreaded 1/2 sari for the girls from 10th standard onwards. It was Sridevi who romanticized this sari's poor cousin and awarded it such a glamour quotient that we albeit halfheartedly took to it initially and then started preening like proud peacocks :))

raagas
16th February 2010, 06:19 PM
raagas, for you: udhyogam evainA pOthe EntA chEsedhi ani kangaru paDDA(n). E oka mArgam(translation) undhani thelusukunnA(n) mee post chadhivi :-)

hahahahah!! :D i remember that only you and suresh know telugu here, so couldnt help 'hiring' your services :)

Sureshs65
16th February 2010, 08:03 PM
hi Usha, you echoed our style icon Sridevi's effect on us teenage girls [ even now!!!]

Do you mean the Sridevi effect is still there even now or that you are a teenager even now :lol: Just kidding.

Sridevi was my favourite as well and while going to watch 'Chandni' got involved in a minor accident, hurt myself and was in pain until I saw Sridevi on screen. She happened at the right time. Sridevi and Raja's music is intoxicating, to say the least.

app_engine
16th February 2010, 08:30 PM
Haven't heard this song.

Well, this song cannot perhaps boast of some complex tune structure or orchestral brilliance. Possibly a "simple song" to ears tuned to complex rAgA based numbers :-)

OTOH, a very soulful grAmaththu song. What it does to me is to transport back to the patti-thotti of TN.

There's another SJ delight in this movie - 'orE muRai un dharisanam', very sweet number (can be termed as a "duet" - Janaki & flute). Raja possibly used 'karumbu' as his baton those days!

irir123
17th February 2010, 04:38 AM
I discovered 'sethupathy IPS' (having ignored it at the time of its release) - the entire album has prominent use of nice chord progressions, harpsichord, guitar and strings

'mazhalai endrum' has an amazing smooth henri mancini/paul mauriat style feel, especially the interludes

'vidiyum neram' 1st interlude ditto the same, 2nd interlude 'composers breath' style flute passage! (the dry insipid charanam sucks though)

irir123
17th February 2010, 05:18 AM
discovery no.2 - revisiting actually - 'soorakkottai singakutty' - the delightful take on MR Radha's voice in 'appan pechha kettavan' and the absolutely zippy, peppy 'onnum theriyadha pappa' - the charanam portion of the second song is freaking melodious building up slowly into a mini crescendo, inspite of being such a fast-paced song and wud enthrall even present generation technomusic lovers, if packaged nicely with more groovy lines! the tonal shift in the 2nd interlude is awesome - the 'kaalithaasan' is of course the typical evergreen, semi-classical IR special - the flute-strings dialog in the 1st interlude is sweet! any comments on this song pallavi's unorthodox tala structure ?!

sloshed
17th February 2010, 09:18 AM
Happened to randomly broswe youtube for some magic of raja.. came up with this stunner... two sets of characters.. twice the characteristics.. same tune... works his magic though his orchestration... still tugs your heart as always....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cmRwbT7ggw

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00051.html

Why raja why??? why did you gives us soo much then.. only to take it away later..
The song found me... I didnt have to look for specifics.. nor worry about likability.. it just speaks to my heart...

where are you Raja???

eagle
17th February 2010, 10:28 AM
where are you Raja???

He is very much here and going about his job the same way... so no fee...lings :D

AravindMano
17th February 2010, 11:11 AM
Deva sangeetham neeyalle devi varu varu :musicsmile:

Sureshs65
17th February 2010, 11:18 AM
Why raja why??? why did you gives us soo much then.. only to take it away later..

You mean Raja has legally stopped you from listening to this song :lol:

where are you Raja???

You may see him if you open your eyes (or better still, open your ears.)

thumburu
17th February 2010, 02:13 PM
hi Usha, you echoed our style icon Sridevi's effect on us teenage girls [ even now!!!]

Do you mean the Sridevi effect is still there even now or that you are a teenager even now :lol: Just kidding.

- Both , enna panradhu. sila perukku vayasu yerave maatenkaradhu.
I didnt quite like her migration to greener pastures in Bollywood where she was just another pretty face . She had everything going right in our southern films. Well, its my own wishfulness that she could have prolonged the magic with our Kamal / Rajini

raagas
17th February 2010, 03:26 PM
I was driving to office this morning, listening to some ilaiyaraaja songs. Listened to "Kanyakumari" song from Bobbili Raja. Pretty difficult composition. It doesnt have the usual funky-ness expected in that situation. Instead, there is orchestral splendour too, with acapella stuff. The strings are a treat in that song. This was the best song in the album, for me.

tvsankar
17th February 2010, 03:33 PM
thumburu,
how r u...

Ipo current poga poradhu. eve vandhu kanduakren.

ungaloda and ragaas post - engae nu thedindu iruken. (Nethi night poora.inum kandu pidiikalai.... :lol: )

tvsankar
17th February 2010, 03:34 PM
ragaas,
kanyakumari - my favourite no.

tvsankar
17th February 2010, 06:46 PM
Orae murai un dharisnam - SJ

Beautiful works of IR.........

Beats - Pesara madhiri thonum....

Guitar um dhan. keyboard um dhan..
dinda dinda dinda din din din...

Sureshs65
17th February 2010, 08:23 PM
கட்டி வச்சுக்கோ எந்தன் அன்பு மனச (மலேசியா வாசுதேவன், ஜானகி - என் ஜீவன் பாடுது)

When Janaki starts as "தனியா தவமிருந்து, இந்த ராசாத்தி கேட்டதென்ன...
மனம் போல் வரம் கொடுத்து, இந்த ராசாவும் வந்ததென்ன" and stretches some syllables, what else can one get?

Thanks app_eng for this song. An excellent experimentation I would say. The way Malaysia is made to sing, the constant rhythm in the background and the way Janaki enters. Everything about this song is so fresh!! No wonder you fell in love with it :)

Check how the tavil plays in the beginning along with the tabla and the violins are made to sound like a shenoy!!

app_engine
17th February 2010, 08:36 PM
Check how the tavil plays in the beginning along with the tabla and the violins are made to sound like a shenoy!!

Yes, the prelude is a great joy ride! Not a single dull second. When part of the main melody is played using keyboard (at the end of the flute piece), it's sweet nectar!

I always love when some lead instrument plays loud along with the singer (e.g. 'vidiya vidiya' portion of 'sivarAththiri' in MMKR) - which happens in this song for the 'katti vachchukkO' & 'thottu vachchukkO' lines, another nice treat:-)