PDA

View Full Version : Recollecting old TV serials

Thiru
20th January 2005, 06:40 AM
I've been planning to start this thread for a long time... Most of us are glued to the TV right now with serials like annamalai, metti oli etc.. but we have to thank doordarshan those days (80s and 90s) for those weekly TV serials they had produced. To be frank, all these mega TV serials with full of azhugai was derived from the Tuesday 7.30 dramas in doordarshan :)... Neways the purpose of this thread is to bring back memories of those TV serials and discuss about them.. I will start with a few and hubbers are welcome to add their input to this too..

1) Ambicarpathy ( y. g mahendran and Ramya krishnan)
2) Jeeboomba
3) dr. Narendhranin vinodha vazhakku
4) silandhi valai
5) Neela maala
6) Idhu oru manidhanin kadhai
7) Iravil oru pagal
8) Ivala en manaivai
9) Paramartha guruvum seedargalum
10) Maadhu seenu
11) adade manohar
12) flight AI102 (I dont remember the name correctly)
13) Amloo (featuring baby shalini)
14) dileep deepa divakar (or something like that.. venu aravind)

hehehewalrus
20th January 2005, 06:49 AM
Thiru :D
we already discussed most of them in old tfmpage.
Anyway we can have descriptive recollections here :)

Last one is Dinakar Deepa Dileep(Oct - Dec 1988 )
Some more to add to the list are Chitirappavai(Oct-Dec 89 ), Galaata Kudumbam(Jan-Mar 1989 ), Flight 714(Jan-Mar 88 ), Solladi Sivashakti(Apr 88 ), Shakti 90(Feb 90)....anyway, include anything that came on DD pre-92.

What was the freedom struggle serial of Sep 90?(characters like Ezhil, Pandian(Pandian), Chockappan(Nazar), Kamal Ghosh)?
We can switch to Hindi DD if this topic gets exhausted ;)
I have those discussions saved on disk. Let me know if u want them

Thiru
20th January 2005, 06:54 AM
Thiru :D
we already discussed most of them in old tfmpage.
Anyway we can have descriptive recollections here :)

Last one is Dinakar Deepa Dileep(Oct - Dec 1988)
One more to add to the list is Galaata Kudumbam(Jan-Mar 1989)

We can switch to Hindi DD if this topic gets exhausted ;)

hhw, i think we discussed this as part of SOTD or some thread and we never had a dedicated thread.. correct me if i'm wrong.. .
I'm sure there were many serials like this which I dont seem to recollect now..
vanna kolangal, nam kudumbam, kalyanathukku kalyanam (featuring news reader varadharajan) etc..

Thiru
20th January 2005, 06:55 AM
galatta kudumbam?? who were the actors in that?

I recollect a few cho dramas like Saraswathi sabatham, vandhe matharam

hehehewalrus
20th January 2005, 07:10 AM
Galatta Kudumbam was my favorite serial of those days. Featured in Jan-Mar 1989 and had Srividhya. According to Database Saravanan it had actor Vikram in it though I cant recollect the face now.

A little bit like the Anurag serial on Hindi DD sunday morn(1990).

RR
20th January 2005, 07:26 AM
walrus: That was 'Flight 172'. An excellent one by Mouli. Who can ever forget the flight scene where he describes 'naadhswaram' to a north indian.
I heard it was his debut drama effort while working in Ponds. One of the greatest comedy writers in TN.
I vaguely remember another one of his 'Ammaavaasai', in which there's a hilarious scene where tries to commit suicide.

Can we recollect more such scenes?

Thiru
20th January 2005, 07:28 AM
walrus: That was 'Flight 172'. An excellent one by Mouli. Who can ever forget the flight scene where he describes 'naadhswaram' to a north indian.
I heard it was his debut drama effort while working in Ponds. One of the greatest comedy writers in TN.
I vaguely remember another one of his 'Ammaavaasai', in which there's a hilarious scene where tries to commit suicide.

RR, are you talking about amavasai IAS where Mouli is a reporter trying to get the first interview a villager who had passed the IAS exam.. ?

RR
20th January 2005, 07:31 AM
Thiru: 7:30 doordharshan drama opening...

"uusss... enna veyil enna veyil.... usha, oru kaappi kondaammaa"
"ithu vanthutteenpaa.."
(amma enters)
"varan paakka poneengale, ennaachu"
(senti feelings) "maappillai aathle.. romba ethirpaakkuraa.. hmm.. namma vasathikku.... "

..... and it goes on..

RR
20th January 2005, 07:31 AM
maybe Thiru, I forgot..

hehehewalrus
20th January 2005, 07:47 AM

Thanks RR(Flight 714 is the name of a tintin adventure :) )
On popular demand its made available on DVD recently.
To keep track lets discuss one serial at a time.

Thiru
20th January 2005, 07:58 AM
RR :)...

Another common opening...
Ennanga..
enna kaamatchi?
Namba ponnukku vayasagitte pogudhu ungalukku theriyalaiya...
Enakku mattum ava vaazhkaila akkarai illaiya... ellathukkum neram nnu onnu irukku illaiya?
naan solrennnu thappa nenaichikkadheenga.. oor la enga annan payyan BA padichittu government velai la irukkanam..

and it goes.. on

HHW sure.. flight 172 la thaane Neelu will switch off his hearing aid??

RR
20th January 2005, 08:04 AM
Thiru, good one :lol:

Cinefan
20th January 2005, 04:34 PM
Another unforgettable serial was KB's 'Rail Sneham' with Nizhalgal Ravi&a new girl.I think it was KB's first TV serial.Also what was that serial which had Revathi as a blind girl in a thriller by Suresh Menon.S.Ve.Shekhar's 'Vanna Kolangal'was also enjoyable.Somehow the feeling is that with just 1 channel the quality of serials was much better(in Tamil&Hindi)or am I being nostalgic? :?

Roshan
20th January 2005, 04:56 PM
.........And they say women are addicted to TV serials :wink: :lol:

hehehewalrus
21st January 2005, 04:27 AM
.........And they say women are addicted to TV serials :wink: :lol:

We watched these when we were 10-14 :)

hehehewalrus
21st January 2005, 04:34 AM
Cinefan, The serial you mentioned is Iravil Oru Pagal and once it ended in Feb 1990, it was immediately replaced by Rail Sneham on the Wednesday 1930 spot. Iravil Oru Pagal featured Suresh Menon, R, Charlie, Sukumari, VK Ramasamy and the guy who played "Salim, Mohammmed Salim" :)
Rail Sneham's song "Indha veenaiku theriyaadhu" is a hit on the net, but personally I loved the IOP number "Aasai Nilave, Pesum kanave", a melodious Yesudas lullaby. Didnt Rail Sneham have another song "Mudivum Illaadhadhu"?

My top 3 tv serials will always be Chitthirappavai, Iravil Oru Pagal and a tie for 3rd place between Flight 172/Ladies Hostel.

Thiru
21st January 2005, 04:58 AM
hhw, i think the song is
Aasai nilave pesum malare kalai maane kan thoongu nee...
uyiro urugum ulagam mayangum un paarvai poovo theno..
aagayam poovai thalattum velai naanum paadava
maar mele ingu nee vaa maane thene maalai soodava..

and was sung by Jayachandran..
Also, 'mudivium illadhadhu' is the title song for Rail sneham...

hehehewalrus
21st January 2005, 05:07 AM
Thiru,
thanks for the correction. Great memory for lyrics :D

Indha veenaiku theriyadhu featured more than once in the serial. so was it relayed regularly or just one episode?

Thiru
21st January 2005, 08:00 AM
HHW :).. If I remember correctly, the song is played in only one episode completely but it comes in the background quite a few times... Sindhu (the heroine) sings the song. The story of the serial is about Ravi living with an unmarried but pregnant(?) girl sindhu but posing as husband & wife.. Kavithalaya krishnan & sivappu rukmani are the neighbours and the movie mainly revolves around the 4.... .Can someone throw more light on the story and the ending??

jaiganes
21st January 2005, 09:34 AM
There was one more TV Serial which had Lakshmi , ARS and Nizhalgal Ravi in the lead. I forgot the name of the TV Serial. My favourite was (in good ol' days of DD) Amlu, Dinesh Mahesh (Delhi Ganesh and Kaathaadi I guess), Vannak kolangal (S.V.Sekhar's best), Here is Crazy (title song gala gala galavena siri) among others. I was crazy fan of the german(Transtel) dubbed serials "Inspector Derrick" and "Comedy time" starring a crazy german actor. The slap stick comedy was too much! The guy had a funny face and his antiques were hilarious. In one episode, he tries to get married , forgets the ring in the car and chases it. In one scene he blasts the whole building to get the ring finally when he gets the ring the girlfriend is pregnant and so on. I have again forgotten the name of the actor. Also a must see for sunday was "Captain Cosseascu's deep sea adventures. That was a wonderful serial as well, in addition to World of survival and National geographic in the evening. To top it all the best fun was "Giant Robot" for me!!! Nyabagam varudhe..

hehehewalrus
22nd January 2005, 06:57 AM
JG, T
you have brought to mind a number of old memories. Firstly T, I am not sure whether you want the opening part of Rail Sneham or the second half. I know the first half but since the second half happened in the summer of 1990, I missed the last few episodes due to powercuts :-(
Same reason I missed out the ending of Galatta Kudumbam in 1989.
JG,
Who is ARS? Can you throw more info on when that Laxmi/ARS serial came up? which day?
Are you referring to Telefun when you mentioned the german serial? Telefan was a production of Transtel television and used to be relayed on Thursdays and Saturdays 7 PM in 1985-86.
The other serial you mentioned is of course Didi's Comedy Show(The Nonstop Nonsense) which was relayed in Apr-Jun 1986 Saturdays 330. Though I watched all of it, I dont recollect the incidents you mentioned. Probably too small to understand. There was one episode where the guy is a goalkeeper and manages to catch shots through luck. Finally he takes a goalie kick and his long ranger finds the opposite net!
Here is Crazy had a superb run on Friday 730 in early 1986.

Does anyone remember Vadivel Vaathiyaar(1991)? There is a guy who leads a school strike when Mr.Vadivel, a Gandhian, is fired from the school. I think he is the same guy who appears in Bhagyaraj's movie Sundarakaandham(When Bhagya enters his first class and checks the chair and table, one guy gets up and asks "Sir, enna Sir first day-ve ippadi sandhega padreenga?") :lol2: :lol2: Both the serial and movie were made at the same phase since during one scene of the movie, you find the blackboard behind Bhagya showing the date as 15-10-1991.

Anyone remembers Delhi Ganesh's Gandhi Vesham drama, a regular on Gandhi Jayanthi? :)

RR
22nd January 2005, 09:32 AM
Didi was hilarious stuff. Thanks for reminding.
walrus: do you recall the Pongal regular musical drama with 'shanmuga sundari' as the villi maamiyaar (iduppa nelichukittu nadakkara style) and Master Sridhar (height-la Mister aagave illai :D ) as her son? I wonder if it's still being telecast :)

Cinefan
22nd January 2005, 10:50 AM
Reading this thread I am being flooded by memories.What fun it was those days,i used to eagarly wait for Saturdays&Sundays to see Didi's comedy show,Vikram Aur Betal,He-Man,Vanna Kolangal etc.Some guys here have a wonderful memory remembering Stories of serials,Songs etc.
hehehewalrus,that "Salim,Mohammad Salim"was too much,I had completely forgotten that. :D

Also there was a serial with two black kids with bunk beds,what was that :?:

Cindy
22nd January 2005, 03:39 PM
There was a serial "Penn" with all the lead actresses playing a role. each day was a different story of a Penn with different back ground...

Suhasini was country bride.. and got married to a groom as an accident as the real bride eloped.. and she was taken to the busy city of chennai... the next day the groom asks the embarassed bride if she had anything to ask...and she after lot of hesitation..asks.."unga perenna?"

Shobana did a role of sales girl in an antique shop... Revathi as a puthumai penn... etc etc..

Cindy
22nd January 2005, 03:43 PM
there was another comedy serial about a patti and thatha..the show's name is with the thatha's name i believe... that was a hilarious one... dont remember both thatha and patti's name.. anyone there?

rajes002
23rd January 2005, 04:09 AM
Ah... nostalgia...

Anybody remembers 'tharaiyil irangum vimanangal'? this is around 1985.... and I remember many more... but dont remember the titles!!

To go back further... around 1978-1979... - DD Chennai used to have english sitcoms on Thursday (or was it friday) evenings... I remember 'I love lucy', 'Here is Lucy' and 'The Goodies'. Goodies used to my favorite...

- On Tuesday evenings at 7:30 - they used to have tamil drama... and they used to be ok. Some of them historical, esp. RS Manohar were really good. This along with Friday evening oliyum oliyum and tamil film on Sundays were eagerly anticipated.

Rajesh

hehehewalrus
23rd January 2005, 06:00 AM
Jaiganesh,
The Cossacks serial came after World of Sport in Mar-April 1988. This was preceded by the cartoon You Just Wait(story of a rabbit and a jackal). Both serials were Russian. DD has a history of 15minute cartoons after World of Sports - Superman following in 1992.

RR, sorry cannot recall the Pongal drama. Can you give the story?
There was 2 Tuesday 740 dramas that were hilarious: One featured a couple honeymooning in Ooty and staying in a bungalow. To their dismay, they hear an announcement over radio that a Rowdy by name Jambu is at large in the same area. They panic and are scared to leave the place. Just then a weird guy comes to stay in the same guest house and claims to be Panchu Maama, a relation of the guy. Panchu often goes out on nocturnal outings and the couple are really at the edge of their wits. Finally they confront Panchu with a cop telling him to admit he was the elusive Jambu. Panchu in return handcuffs the cop as he identifies him to be Jambu and reveals his real identity as a CBI officer! Who says only tamil films have funny climaxes? :lol2: :lol2:

There was another funny drama featuring Pattaabhi and Thottaadhri, where Pattaabhi's fiancee Brindha has a nervous attack or something. They call a funny doctor who has a hilarious way of walking - in fact each step of his is a hop! He is very funny when he hops while diagnosing the patient - "Brindhaa....?*hop* eppadi irukke? *hop* ) :lol2: After 2 episodes the drama ends with Pattaabhi waking up and shows the whole 2 episodes were a dream :)

Cinefan, any idea what the real name of Mohammed Salim is? Sad he didnt take to acting in films. Every thursday morning, each and every fellow in my school used to announce his name in Salim's style :lol2: :lol2:

2 black kids with bunk beds - u referring to an english serial?

Cindy, Penn was directed by Suhashini and featured one actress every issue. It came in 1991 by which time, I was out of active TV watching. I only remember the first episode where Geetha(??) returns home as her husband has another woman..the serial ends with her father unsuccessfully visiting her errant husband, returns home and on a poignant note, tells Geetha, "Appa irukken ma, appa irukken..." and melts into tears.

The Paatti Thatha drama featured Usillamani as the producer of some movie, it was in Apr-May of 1990. Usillamani owns some cotton farm which he sells to finance someone's movie.

Vikram Aur Vetal scared the hell out of me - i would watch only the title song. Even if I succeeded in getting my family to switch off the TV, the eerie laughter coming from our neighbor's TV used to freak me! :D This was generally preceded by Dada Dadi Ki Kahaani - I used to wonder why serials for kids had so many ghostly and scary characters :evil: Anyway Arun Govil as Vikramaditya got a nice break for Ramayan which started later that year. Few years later, it was a Ram-Ravan fight in elections as Govil fought Arvind Trivedi(Ravan) as political candidates.

But the best childrens serials of all time were Ek Do Teen Char and even better, Indradhanush in May 1989. Indradhanush was a delightful one with Appu and his magical computer - taking his brother via Time Machine to 1940's. The episode where Appu's brother finds himself in '40s and gets an entire cartload of groundnuts for 2 rupees was funny.

He Man came as successor to Mickey and Donald. We were dismayed when M&D went off after 2 years. But He Man(1987-88) caught on admirably. The sound effects were superb. We had great fun mimicking Cringer growling and waving its paw when He-Man says "By the power of grayskull" :)
http://www.he-man.org/cartoon/episode_reviews/index.php?brandID=1

He-Man was followed by Danger Bay.

RR
23rd January 2005, 08:35 AM
walrus: Story is typical. The pannayaar's son loves a poor girl, but 'shanmuga sundari' (you remember her rite? poor man's gandhimadhi.. also acts in Metti oli.) raises 'prestige' issues and refuses. After some senti scenes, finally the rich hero's family gets into some major trouble and the poor girl saves them. Appuram, ellaam subham. It's a musical drama, that culminates with everyone celebrating pongal singing, singing and singing..

Thiru
23rd January 2005, 01:41 PM
I do rememeber I love lucy show..

Coming to think of good serials,
there was another serial called 'Thaagam' which has a title song
uyir meedhu thaagam uruvaagum neram
edhu vandha podhum ...
It was about a guy who is sentenced to death, becoming close to the warden's daughter... Infact the karagattakaran vaazhaipazha joke was copied from this serial...
DD2 had another good serial about AIDS featuring Kambar jayaraman and kaveri... Was it called Karippu manigal?? i dont remember it correctly..

RR
23rd January 2005, 02:08 PM
Ah... nostalgia...

Anybody remembers 'tharaiyil irangum vimanangal'? this is around 1985.... and I remember many more... but dont remember the titles!!

Raghuvaran & Ragini (now Mrs.Karthik) rite? I think it came around the 'Ladies hostel" times. The latter on Mondays and the former Wednesdays. Used to look forward to them every week then.
BTW, who was the other lady role 'tharayil irangum..' ?

madhu
23rd January 2005, 02:24 PM
Hi RR !

is it Rahini or Rohini (from nizhalgal) ?

RR
23rd January 2005, 02:35 PM
madhu: It's Raagini, not rohini (came on 'Bru' coffee ad?)..

hehehewalrus
24th January 2005, 05:44 AM
RR, sorry i do not remember the pongal serial you mentioned.

About Tharayil Irangum Vimaanangal, the original postor might be correct. I do not recall a serial by that name between 1987-91. When Ladies Hostel was on Mondays, Wednesdays had Pratidhwani. LH-Drama-Pratidwani-Silandhi Valai-Kalyaanathukku Kalyanam used to be the weekly line up.
Ladies Hostel made way to Ambigaiyin Kalyanam on Mondays.

What was the name of wednesday serial featuring Ganesh, Vasant and YG Mahendran?

jaiganes
25th January 2005, 11:10 AM
Hi!
Thanks for reminding me of the title of "did's comedy show" It was hilarious! As for ARS he is still acting in TV serials , In JayaTV 's kalki he plays father in law of Kushbu. Cool to know that so many people remember so many serials of DD from the past. The funny drama of Prasanna playing pattabhi thatha (the first scifi serial IMO) was titled "Carry on kutty thatha". Most of the actors of DD had such a good Tamil Diction that they are doing dubbing in Tamil movies. For Example Selvakumar who acted in countless DD serials and plays is today dubbing for Kotta Sreenivasarao in many films. Most famous one being Saami. Interesting also is the fact that Delhi Ganesh himself used to act in DD plays and serials also used to dub for Chiranjeevi. Famous one being 47 naatkal by Balachander. DD never used to hype up these serials, but theya ssumed a publicity of their own (probably due to monopoly). Still the quality was so good because of trained stage actors. The first talk of the town serial was "Nagaiye unakkoru namaskaaram". It was a huge hit among the middle class folks. My mother never missed it. I believe it was written by Marina , a popular stage play write. Another more popular serial was the subtly crafted and acted "Thaayumaanavan" by Balakumaran. It had Cine actor chandrasekhar in lead and he played the role of a mechanic out of job having to run the family perfectly. I have forgotten the name of the lead actress, she too did her role perfectly as a woman who has to go to work to run the family stove burning. Who can forget the beautiful "Kadal purathile" which had the enigmatic and legendary Senthaamarai playing the role of a fisherman. He was class apart in that serial. Another talent wasted by stereotyping stupids of Thamizh Cinema. There was "Vande mataram" by Cho, which had his own inimitable style and an interesting starcast of Viveka fine arts veterans. The role of Barrister Bhaskaradas that he essayed stayed on in the minds of many, though the age factor was a major irritant. The thought of an old looking Cho trying to romance a beautiful J.Lalitha was difficult to digest. Though the living daylights were saved by the barrister sacrificing himself to save her lover the ever youthful Ravi Raghavendar (also machaan of super *) ala Tale of Two cities style. There was one serial which I would remember decades from now. That was the awe inspiring "Aezhu Thalaimurai Ezhuchhi". A chronicle of freedom fighters and the history of struggle for independence. It had an amazing title song "Veera sudhandhiram vaendi nindraar pinnar.." written by none other than Maha kavi Bharathi and sung by his great grandson Rajkumar bharathi. Later on came the "Chithirappavai" acted by koothu - p - pattarai artists and Neela Maala. So in short the acting talent in DD serials and plays that was on display in yesteryears was awesome!!! I am sorry to say that same range of talent is not available to enliven the mini screen today. Even the most popular serials of the day like Annamalai and Chidambara Rahasiyam has mediocre talent on display IMHO.

Cindy
25th January 2005, 11:14 AM
yes.. yes.. got it.. it was pattabhi thatha... the thatha i was referring to a few posts back...

jaiganes
25th January 2005, 11:49 AM
Hi
Two more DD plays worth remembering are "Oru meenin Kanneer" and "Amma ange ganesu inge". Meenin Kanneer had Kamala Kamesh playing the role of a career woman who sacrifices her life for her family ala Sujatha in Aval oru thodar kadhai. It was surprising to see Kamala kaamesh the typical underfed mother in Tamil movies taking on such a young and bold role. Another interesting play was "Amma ange ganesu inge", a tale of mother and son separated due to tough economic situations. The master ganesh who played the role of the kid is the one currently playing lead in the Sun TV top ten programme. He was involved in Venniraadai moorthy's Sirippo sirippu programme in Sun TV sunday mornings. Another interesting play was from Kovai Anuradha's Abhinaya creations. The play involves a lady with acerbetic tongue but golden heart. how the lady of the house tackles her daughter in law (played by Sumangali) and later on passes on the baton to the latter is the story. Kovai Anuradha is a lanky dark guy with an amazing sense of humour. He later on moved to Sun TV with a lot of serials where sachu is a regular. Right now aadugiraan kannan is being handled by Abhinaya creations, though the part played by Kovai anuradha is not known. Sundays 10 o clock slot was alays reserved for "sunil gavaskar presents" amazing footage of India' successful campaigns in England. They were some TV programmes to wait for. In fact Sunday was unofficial cricket day for all of our friends. We used to assemble in one of our friendsh house which used to be official Bat and cricket kit storage. We watched the gavaskar programme and with the zeal of having watched our heroes in action would cycle our way to a ground some 6 kms away to play day long cricket. Those were some days!!!

hehehewalrus
25th January 2005, 12:58 PM
JG,
Noor aayusu to you - if only to recount those stories! :D

Yep how can we forgot Thaayumaanvan on Mondays in either March or July 1991! Chandrasekhar's wife played an excellent part - Thiru, please tell us her name! Thaayumanavan was probably the last serial I watched before saying goodbye to tamil television.

The fisherman serial was again Mondays. It was Kadal Purathil and not Kadal Purathile. Excellent rustic tale that captured the distinct dialect of South Tamil Nadu. This was Mar-May 1991.

There was another brief serial we missed - Guide Gayathri in 1988. It had a stupid ending with Gayathri marrying a psycho(at least to me! :) )

Ah, Hindi DD is another story which will take another time surely. Sunil Gavaskar presents had two runs - one in Oct 1986 and other in May-July 1988. One for tests and other for ODIs. The first cricket related serial was Ravi Shastri's That's Cricket! followed by SMG presents. Some of the matches we were lucky to watch are
1) 1986 cycle

1. India v England Oval 1971 - Chandra 6/38
2. India v Australia Melbourne 1981 - Viswanath 114 and late-cutting a Lillee yorker for four, Kapil 5-28
3. India v Pakistan Karachi 1978-79 - Imran smashing Bedi for 2 sixes
4. India v Australia 1977-78 - India 445 chasing 493 in the 4th innings - Kim Hughes hitting Bedi for a six and bowled next ball.
5. Australia v England Melbourne 1975 - Randall 174
6. India v Australia Adelaide 1981 - Sandeep Patil 174* after hit on the face by a Pascoe bouncer

The 1988 cycle featured ODI's and few of them had India.

What about Srikkanth's Golden Moments of Indian Cricket on Raj TV? We used to laugh at home that while Srikkanth's international average is 28 or 29, his RajTV average was 49.5 ! :)

hehehewalrus
25th January 2005, 12:59 PM
JG,
I remembered the Amma-Ganesu drama but did not remember the exact name. Are you saying that Ganesu is the same Vijayakumar who presents the Lion Dates Top 10 movies?? Ganesu's father singing happy birthday in the drama was moving.

There was a hilarious interview of Kovai Anuradha with Senthil on Nov 4 1991 - Diwali. That morning we had an interview with Ilaiyaraja that ended with the Kanmani Anbodu song. Ilaiyaraja pointed out Kanmaniye Kaadhal Enbadhu when asked if Mannil Indha Kaadhal was his first breathless song.

The Senthil interview began with Vazhaipazham joke and ended with the Paandi Naatu Thangam joke where Senthil is mistaken for a pig and shot :)

In Chithirappavai, wasnt it Vinu Chakravarthy who acted as Manickam(Annamalai's brother)? Does anybody know who plays Annamalai and his father? Anandhi character was played by Vaishnavi. Thiru, can you name any movies acted in by Vaishnavi?

The Bomma College dialogue was funny.

Cindy
25th January 2005, 01:47 PM
i remember a "karippu manigal"... the title song was melodious

jaiganes
25th January 2005, 03:07 PM
No HHW, Ganesu is the guy who acts in the comedy programme that comes along SUN TV top ten songs which was earlier called "Philips top 10". He also acted in "Pudhu pudhu arthangal" as Janagaraj's sidekick and in "Nee Paadhi Naan Paadhi" too. Interesting feature about Thats cricket programme by Ravi shastri is that he used to explain nuances of a delivery. I remember Anil Kumble explaining leg spinner, the googly and the top spinner, right from the seam position to the grip. L.Sivaramakrishnan introduced the leg spinner in the programme. It was very informative. We had a hearty laugh when Shastri explained about need of footwork to loft the leg spinning delivery over the infield by advancing forward. The reason was shastri's frustrating efforts to do just the same against the leg spinner of all times Abdul Quadir at sharjah. Every time shastri would leap out of the crease, we used to think that he is gonna smash it, but he would go to the pitch of the ball, promptly defend it and run back to his crease!!! :rotfl:
Getting back to Actresses in TV plays and serials, the performer award must definitely go to M.Bhanumathi, who would sincerely play out her part inspite of the most boring of settings and insipid dialogues. Among leading men, the choice would alway be Rajasekhar, always the smart one with a very clear voice. Happy to note that off late he is getting some movie offers. He acted as Vikram's dad in Dhil and as Meera Jasmine's dad in Ayudha Ezhuthu. On the veterans front, always it was a choice between Kambar Jayaraman for his "Kavichakravarthy Kambar" (Amazing portrayal of rise and fall of a great poet) and T.K.S.Chandran, seen as a film producer who tries to seduce Revathy in 'Marubadiyum". Kambar Jayaraman it is to whom I wold vote for. Other memorable performances were by "Heron" Raamaswamy who played the thundering Thirumalai Nayakkar!! I loved the serial so much for its flowing dialogues and style of heron raamaswamy. Particularly two dialogues, one "Idhu Thirumalai Sowrinayanu Ayyanugaarvin aanai!", which I used to say to my mom that I want potato fry(urulai izhangu kari) that night and the cool "Akkamma enn pakkam vaa". It did not register to my mind how old that akkamma looked like, but the way dialogues were rendered and the overall acting was unbelievable. I would have to post separately , to describe "Chanakya Sabadham" and its effects!! This play by R.S.Manohar was in one word spectacular. The dialogues again were flowing, powerful and rendered with immaculate diction. The only actor from that powerful play, who is still seen around the screen is one M.S.Vijaya (or is it M.R.Vijaya) who played the role of daughter of Greek Ambassador Magasthanes. She plays the role of the mother of Devipriya in Roja, struggling hard to cope with atrocities of "Pasi" Sathya in that serial. The unforgettable dialogue from Chanakya sabadham is " Vijaya dhasami Vizhaa, Nagarula, Makkal tharum parisu-p -porutkal" by Raatchasan. It was a play that I have not seen in stage. I regret not having seen it live till date.

rajes002
26th January 2005, 07:05 AM
Raghuvaran & Ragini (now Mrs.Karthik) rite? I think it came around the 'Ladies hostel" times. The latter on Mondays and the former Wednesdays. Used to look forward to them every week then.
BTW, who was the other lady role 'tharayil irangum..' ?

It was Rajalakshmi... tamil/telugu film actress....

Mrs. Karthik - I think was in another serial.. .dont remember the name!!

Shakthiprabha.
27th January 2005, 09:33 PM
I remember seeing on tamizh serial long ago on sundays at 10.30 in doordarshan. Venu ARvind was in it. It had a title like

'PARAMPARAI' (not too su re)

I really miss good old DD serials.

AdadE manohar, paramartha guru seedargaL etc were too entertaining.

Thanks to thiru, who reminded us of our DD days

hehehewalrus
28th January 2005, 04:35 AM
Interesting feature about Thats cricket programme by Ravi shastri is that he used to explain nuances of a delivery. I remember Anil Kumble explaining leg spinner, the googly and the top spinner, right from the seam position to the grip. L.Sivaramakrishnan introduced the leg spinner in the programme. It was very informative. We had a hearty laugh when Shastri explained about need of footwork to loft the leg spinning delivery over the infield by advancing forward. The reason was shastri's frustrating efforts to do just the same against the leg spinner of all times Abdul Quadir at sharjah. Every time shastri would leap out of the crease, we used to think that he is gonna smash it, but he would go to the pitch of the ball, promptly defend it and run back to his crease!!!

Yes, I remember Binny explaining the outswinger and inswinger in the same program. There was an interview with Sandeep Patil too where he mentions his first delivery(debut) was a four off Imran.

Ahhh, to be fair to shastri, he was one of the best allrounders in the world 85-87 stage. I thought he would become a world beater but he overworked on his technique like Manjrekar and became too cautious. Shastri in 85-88 was like Klusener in 1999 - Very positive, attacking, exciting cricketer - right mix of aggression and caution. Ideal captaincy material
JG, there was this Indore ODI v Pak(21/3/87) where Shastri made 52 hammering Qadir and Imran for multiple sixes. His slide started in 89 - I think Shastri was just emotionally upset as the captaincy never came to him 89 onwards.

Three good reports came out on the Tied Test at Chepauk - Mike Coward in "Cricket Beyond the Bazaar", Allan Border in "Beyond Ten Thousand" and V.Gangadhar in Readers Digest 1988 issue around September.

Abt L.Siva, there is a theory that he fell into drugs. Superb legspin bowler in 85-86 period, esp in Australia.

jaiganes
29th January 2005, 10:12 PM
When people were getting a bit bored with tV serials which were telecast as "Sponsored Programmes" in Madras DD, the announcement of "En Iniya Iyandhira" created quite a sensation. Whoever had read "En iniya Iyandhira" and "Meendum Jeeno" by Sujatha were genuinely surprised as they thought that these stories cannot be made into a big budget bollywood film, let alone Chennai TV serial. Their suspicion was genuine as Madras doordarshan had a stupid 13 episode cap for sponsored serials in regional language. This at the time when Hindi serials like Buniyaad were allowed to run for 90 weeks maximum. Finally when the serial was launched, it had tremendous viewership for a scifi serial. The serial had the enchanting Sivaranjani in the lead role along with Maniratnam mentored Anand as her pair. Added attraction was the robo dog Jeeno. Though I liked the dog part very much, I could not understand much of the serial as it was the first scifi serial I saw in Thamizh. Scifis to me were only Startrek series. Having seen that quality of special effects and imagination, the thamizh serial paled in technical area. Though the acting was top class, top choice being Chaaru haasan for the "leader" character. The shock of the serial was the scene where sivaranjani finds out that her husband is just a robot (android I learned later watchin terminator). I would love to see this serial rerun or better still made as a movie, preferably by Mani Ratnam or Kamal. Anyways truly a landmark serial made way ahead of it times. A similar magnum opus effort was a historical serial attempted by T.Rajendar. I could not recollect the name of the serial, but it was centred on Kulothunga Sozhan, again had a couple of good actors with good Thamizh diction. If anybody can provide more information on that front, would be helpful. After this serial, there was a rumour that Ponniyin selvan was being made as a serial by Kamal haasan!! Meanwhile, a team silently went about making Kalki's social epic "Alai Oasai" into a serial. I was caught up with my chemistry tuitions and completely missed this serial. However what I heard from my father was that it was not well made. I could guess it as there were rumours that Kalki's "Thyaaga Bhoomi" was also being attempted for small screen but later abandoned. Truly it would be an interesting day , when Kalki's efforts like "Sivagaamiyin sabadham" and "Ponniyin Selvan" were to be made as TV soaps!!

jaiganes
7th February 2005, 09:15 AM
Another novel attempt by sponsored programmes in DD during early nineties was the serial "Swara Raaga Sudha". I believe it was the first proper programme introducing Carnatic music. Each episode will hae three sections, one detailing the raaga , its background, swara varisais, then one famous singer(or an upcoming talent) rendering a keerthanai in that raaga. The third section was on film songs based on that raaga. It was a program that we used to follow intently. Again the fun was shortlived due to episode limitation on these programmes.

oohlala
17th March 2005, 05:34 PM
I dont exactly remember the year of telecasting and i even dont remember the story line as i was too young. but i enjoyed watching Udal Porul Anandhi and kolai yudhi kalam and another serial which has a robot dog named Geno i dont remember the serial name...but i enjoyed watching them...

rami
11th July 2005, 12:41 PM
Oohlala..

That was only mentioned by Jaiganes as "En iniya iyanthira'... I remember the cute little dog well. Actually I dont remember even a bit of the story.. I was very small kid then(4 or 5). I sure remember the small dog, as I watch only for that speaking dog.

I got a toy just like that dog, named it Geno and was playing with it for long hours(It wud sleep near me..) Wish those days come back...

How come everyone forgot "Vanna Kolangal", "Revathy"(which had revathy as revathy), "Nishaganthi", "Kaiyalavu manasu"."Neela Maala" Baby neena.

One more serial by Y.G. Where there are two Y.Gs, one Y.G is a serial killer and other is accused of the murders. Poor fellow will have every evidence against him. Can some one tell the serial name.

From the ones mentioned, I do remember "Rail Payanangal"-'antha veenaikku thriyaatha', "Amlu" - 'Kutti ponnu yaaru sollu,Chutti ponnu yaaru sollu'."Maadhu Cheenu - Marriages made in saloon"

newcomer
12th July 2005, 09:11 PM
Rami,
"Antha veenaikku theriyathu" is from "Rail Sneham", not Rail Payanangal.

narayanan
26th March 2006, 05:50 AM
Street Hawk

Johnny Sokko and Giant Robot

Rayil Sneham

Sujatha's Kolayudhirkaalam (came at an odd time in weekday afternoons)

Kalki's Alai Osai(pre independence setting 52 weeks drama, played on Mondays 7-730pm, title song was by MSV, Madhubala and ARS are the only people I remember in this)

Pagalil Or Iravu (Revathi acts as a blind woman, produced by Telephoto Films, Suresh Menon comes as a convict I guess). Does anyone remember where they suttufied the title song from?

Shalini-Kaka Radhakrishnan acted in one serial around the late 80s. Forgot the name.

Vikatan Televistas 'Anandha Bhavan'(this was really recent 99/2000 i guess, but the story was very realistic)

'Washington Thirumanam' - was the earliest TV serial to show US. I remember Sachu acting in this. Forgot all the other faces. The title theme had a beautiful veena-melam music AFAIK.

'Reporter'- one of the best hindi series that came during that time.

'Tehkikaat'-good short suspense stories. miles ahead of Sun TV's bleddy 'Thadayam'

'Programme for Crime'-came in multiple time slots, lastly remember being featured before Sunday evening padam. One of the German series that featured in DD apart from 'Derrick' and 'Didis Comedy Show' that were really good too. There was a catchy title song to this series too. It was made by 'Transtel-Cologne'

'Bodyline'-covered the infamous Bodyline series in cricket.

'Udal Porul Anandhi'-was one of the pilli-suniyam type series at Sunday 12-1230pm slot. One dialogue i remember is Vinodhini shouting 'Dilipan poondu saptaan' (ennatha poondu saptano po!).

'Thanneer Manidhan'-one of the most disheartening series, which was discontinued. It was several times worser the the previous one.

'Swarabushani' featured temples in Tamilnadu.

There was a series that featured the Dasavatharams in primetime, forgot the name.

'Andha oru Nimisham'-featuring Kaveri('Vaikasi Porandhachu' fame), was the first to talk about AIDS. She finally dies of AIDS through blood transfusion.

'Tholaindhu Ponavargal'-featuring Rajesh,THalaivaasal Vijay and two people I dont remember acting as 4 school friends, finally 2 who were standing in their school photo meet and the other 2 dont turn up for the get-together. It ends like the ones sitting as the 'Tholaindhu Ponavargal'.

'Marma Desam - Ragasiyam'-Was the first in Marma Desam series. I remember it talks about robbery of 'navapashana lingams' (made from nine poisons(?) and have some medicinal value), kept in some 'Bairavar kovil'. I guess Delhi Ganesh, who is a doctor, acts as a lunatic is the one who steals the lingams from the temple. He gets caught by hiding it in his overhead tank AFAI can remember. It starts with reading some paras from 'Ambalakaala Kadikai'. I liked that Vasugi who acted in this series.

'Mel Maadi Gaali'-featured the Vasugi from the previous series :mrgreen: and Vivek(probably the earliest popular screen appearance) as lovers. Was a nice comedy series.

'Silandhi Valai' - featured Sarath Babu. dont remember much of it, apart from the title song with 'Silandhi Valai' as the start (and shows a spider web and a man in silhouette).

Last but not the least, the very very very infamous 'Junoon' that ran 4 years(started around the time i finished 8th grade final exam to my 12th board exam and yet never completed). I read somewhere that Cinevista infacted shelved the project. It was one of the first tries in 'thamizhaakam' and would be remembered for punchlines 'Panakkara Naye'(by Sumir Rajvansh), 'Kesava'(by Tata Nagarkar :P) and the ultimate 'Thaaathaaa'(by Keshav Kalsi).

rami
30th March 2006, 12:16 PM
Solreenga neenga enaa? Illaya ungalukku nyabagam... ?

:rotfl:

No one can forget the "Junoon" Thamizh... Also the tiltle song will go like this..

Kaathal vasa ppattu varume Pidivatham...
Pagaimai vasa ppattu varume Pidivatham...
Ezhmai vaasam thavipppor palar...
Balathaal vasappattu varume Pidivatham...
Pidivatham...Pidivatham...Pidivatham...Pidivatham. ..

Only at that time, the practise of putting ad breaks in between Programs started. Till then, ads will come only b4 and @ the end of the program..

mohanraman
30th March 2006, 04:06 PM
Hello friends,
I was stunned to see this topic ....just this morning I was talking to one of chennai's news dailies for constantly misquoting/mis crediting people for tv serials...an article stated that the first mega serial was shakti when it actually was "vizhuthugal".....I am planning to write an article on the television serial scene's history and will be greatful if someone knowledgeable or blessed with an elephantine memory, as some of you seem to be, to let us know the years of Junoon...wasn't it the first mega, albeit being dubbed...or were there precursors to it.....mahabharath and ramayan were also major crazes....AVM did one with Raghuvaran on drug addiction....can I have years please , it will help me....I dont think DD will have or give any info.....I am planning to contact Hansavision the producers of vizhuthugal....my friend Ponds Bala was its brainchild and executive producers.....one of television's unsung heroes.

mohanraman
30th March 2006, 04:13 PM
I know that "Balachandarin chinna thirai" was KB's first for Sun TV (this was my introduction to tv as well) and raghuvamsam sun's first mega.....mega's were then consigned to the afternoon as it was for "ladies" only....might be worth the while to check out when or around when the'cable' phenomenon caught fire......people with dish antenna's used to watch santa barbara and the bold & the beautiful----(it is still going strong on star tv).

nacdaman
30th March 2006, 08:21 PM
Shakthi - Take off on star trek ...

Indra dhanush - Time travel concept( take off on back to the future).

In tamil - I loved pagalil or iravu... Good murder mystery.

Does anyone remember this hindi serial called Quile ka rahasya ..brilliantly taken serial with a baaaad ending.

nacdaman
30th March 2006, 08:24 PM
Here in the u.s there is a channel called TV Land that re telecasts old televisions serials. It would be really nice if some one did something like that in India. Also the concept of coming out with DVDs . I recently bought Flight 172 and Maadhu Cheenu.. What riot!!!! It was great seeing those serials after such a long time...

nacdaman
30th March 2006, 08:26 PM
" AVM did one with Raghuvaran on drug addiction" -- This was based on a shivasankari's novel . Salim ghouse the villain of movies like chinna gounder ..vetri vizha brilliantly potrayed the other protagonist opposite to raghuvaran

mohanraman
30th March 2006, 10:43 PM
I recall the avm serial's name - oru manithanin kathai.- on drug addicts etc

narayanan
31st March 2006, 07:21 PM
I guess the first serial was Premee in Sun TV, although I havent seen it. Since we did'nt have SUN TV until 98. Premee started somewhere around 1992 and Vizhudhugal came later that year I suppose.

Most of the longer serials in Doordarshan were'nt longer than 6 months or 1 year and that too they were weekly episodes unlike the dailies of today.
~~~~~~
I totally disagree that people are the reasons for the recent torturous megaserials. Well how many people saw Junoon daily. I remember not seeing many episodes and yet the story moved only inches from where I left :roll: :lol:
~~~~~~
I do remember that name Oru Manidhanin Kadhai, totally forgot who acted in it and all.

I remember Karippu Manigal with Senthamarai, Vadivukarasi and Livingston(screen debut ?) about a fishing dependent beachside hamlet.

There was a serial by Kutti Padmini in Tamil, forgot the story. But it came around the same time they had Sunghursh running on Hindi DD at 930pm or something :roll:

mega's were then consigned to the afternoon as it was for "ladies" only

One of the last known thrillers I remember seeing in DD 'Kolayudhirkalam' was relayed at 1230-1pm slot on weekdays :( THats why I missed so many episodes of it :cry:

ssanjinika
31st March 2006, 08:20 PM
As far as I know Junoon was the first serial ,abeit dubbed.It was telecasted on DD2before that I guess we just had one TV channel(immpossible to imagine now ).Sun started off as a parttime channel (6-9) in the evenings.Dont remember Premi serial..but do remember Vizhuthugal.Shakthi came in much later.I fondly remember
Rail sneham,
Pagalil oru nilavu
Penn
Kai alavu manasu
Vidathu karuppu and
swarna regai and such.
Alai oosai
Oru manidhanin kadhai(story of a drunkard)
Does anyone remember the hindi serials.
Buniyaad(dont remember much of the story just that I enjoyed the serial)

goldkiddo
3rd April 2006, 08:12 PM
kathadi ramamurthy's ayya amma ammamma is one play that I really enjoyed on dd. Must be in the mid 80's I think.

Funny dialogues like, where the wife says 'pesama samayalkararai kalayanam paninduirukalam" and kathadi replies, 'athu mudiyathu, avaruku erkanavey kalyanam ayiduchu'

and the way he goes on mumbling " indian economy is the best economy" when his wife makes him study for an officer's exam
Really hilarious and unforgettable.

narayanan
3rd April 2006, 10:16 PM
Was'nt there a series by the name 'Panju Pattu Peethambaram' or something similar ? :roll: It was a comedy serial with a sad ending, if I remember it right.

mohanraman
4th April 2006, 04:02 PM
funny narayanan....you not remembering who acted in "oru manithanin kathai"...it was raghuvaran.

bingleguy
4th April 2006, 04:09 PM
How about KBs first small screen padaippu ... guess it was Rayil shehangal ...... with Sarath babu i guess

narayanan
4th April 2006, 07:35 PM
mohanraman,
Its like 20 years since 'Oru Manidhanin Kadhai', dont quite remember all the faces of those times :roll: I was less than 10 when I saw most of the landmark series in DD.
~~~~~~
bingleguy,
it was Nizhalgal Ravi in Rayil Sneham, not Sarath Babu. Sarath Babu acted only in Silandhi Valai I suppose. Does anyone remember who acted as the wife and daughter? I have vague memories that the daughter locks herself inside her room and there she finds her mother's diary (dated somewhere in 74-75 ??)

mohanraman
4th April 2006, 09:50 PM
hey narayanan, I see your picture of raghu and henced was joking about the irony....thats all.

aanaa
5th April 2006, 03:03 AM
mohanraman,

it was Nizhalgal Ravi in Rayil Sneham, not Sarath Babu. Sarath Babu acted only in Silandhi Valai I suppose. Does anyone remember who acted as the wife and daughter? I have vague memories that the daughter locks herself inside her room and there she finds her mother's diary (dated somewhere in 74-75 ??)

do u have those serials songs ?

narayanan
5th April 2006, 01:12 PM
One of the songs is the serial songs thread ('indha veenaikku theriyadhu'), that was the title song. there was one more song 'uravum illadhadhu', thats what i requested in that thread (for which you replied me ;)
~~~~~
mohanraman, enakku pidicha villain'a avatar'a potta. enna kelavan aakiteengale :cry:

ssanjinika
5th April 2006, 08:06 PM
mohanraman,
it was Nizhalgal Ravi in Rayil Sneham, not Sarath Babu. Sarath Babu acted only in Silandhi Valai I suppose.

I remember Sarath babu acting in another serial.Forgot the name of the serial but Chitra (a slimmer one :P) acting as his wife.Anyone know the name of that serial?

narayanan
5th April 2006, 09:36 PM
sanjinika,
are you talking about Ethanai Manithargal (http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/2001/02/01/stories/13010697.htm) ?
~~~~~~

Chitra (a slimmer one

Idhayam nallennai Chitra :wink:

P_R
6th April 2006, 12:56 AM
I remember Sarath babu acting in another serial.Forgot the name of the serial but Chitra (a slimmer one :P) acting as his wife.Anyone know the name of that serial? ivaLA en manaivi ?

Poppoy
7th April 2006, 09:08 PM
How about KBs first small screen padaippu ... guess it was Rayil shehangal ...... with Sarath babu i guess

If My Memory serves me right KB did a very short telefilm called "Oorvasi Kalyanam" with sharth babu.. none other KB's serial fetured him after that...I guess this was the first break for Actor Kiran.

Poppoy
7th April 2006, 09:15 PM
One of the songs is the serial songs thread ('indha veenaikku theriyadhu'), that was the title song. there was one more song 'uravum illadhadhu', thats what i requested in that thread (for which you replied me ;)
~~~~~mohanraman, enakku pidicha villain'a avatar'a potta. enna kelavan aakiteengale :cry:

Small correction buddy... 'Uravum illadhadhu' was the title song and 'Indha veenaiku teriyadhu' is a main song in the serail sung once by Chitra & then by KJ... Its the song that tells the story... its a beautiful song that i remebered recorde from tv to our first two-in-one:-).. I used to listen to it time and again...I'll post the lyrics to the extent I remember in the other tread...
This is a great tread that brings back my memories of those old quality serials.... there are very few today of the same quality today.. Over the years I would say, serials and subject have gone from bad to worse

Poppoy
7th April 2006, 09:33 PM
[tscii:5476293008]
Hello friends,
I was stunned to see this topic ....just this morning I was talking to one of chennai's news dailies for constantly misquoting/mis crediting people for tv serials...an article stated that the first mega serial was shakti when it actually was "vizhuthugal".....I am planning to write an article on the television serial scene's history and will be greatful if someone knowledgeable or blessed with an elephantine memory, as some of you seem to be, to let us know the years of Junoon...wasn't it the first mega, albeit being dubbed...or were there precursors to it.....mahabharath and ramayan were also major crazes....AVM did one with Raghuvaran on drug addiction....can I have years please , it will help me....I dont think DD will have or give any info.....I am planning to contact Hansavision the producers of vizhuthugal....my friend Ponds Bala was its brainchild and executive producers.....one of television's unsung heroes.

Hi Mohanram! I was eqauly exited when I came across this topic just this morning... And even more exited to have you in the post... you are a gifted artist found by KB sir... he has molded you and many a number of artist to near perfection.. kudos...
BTW.. I guess "Buniyad" was the first mega serial in our indian TV serial history... Then we had "Darpan" .. that was in the late 80's.. If memory serves me right
"Junoon" started only in the early 90's.. those days DD had a great number of great serails... Cinevista’s Junoon was the first serial to be dubbed in Tamil. intrestingly when i searched the net this morning.. I find that they are going revive this serail... by jumpind to over 34 years when they stopped..

First Drug addict serail in india TV history was "Subha" again story by Shivashakari...a gifted writer we should be proud of

Tamil serials started very late that the hindi serials...
other nice hindi serals of those yester years I remember are:
"Nukkad" - A serial based on a bombay eco-backward colony... A lot time I used to wonder if Amir got the base idea for lagan from one of the episods in this serails.. One of the best serials

"Life Line" - A hospital based sotry introducing Tanvi Azmi. A great serial

"Tamaz" - Ompuri and the pregnent lady character I don't remember her name trying to cross the border duirng partition.. its an epic..

"Wha Janab" - Debut serial for our famous shekar suman

I'll keep adding to this as and when I recollect...

Keep up the great work folks...
[/tscii:5476293008]

Aathav52
9th April 2006, 03:58 PM
I watched a serial on TV in 1997. It was a ghost story and one of the actress was Reha. Anyone knows the name of the serial?

Did anyone watched Tharaiyil Irangum Vimaanangal. Indumathi's story and Raguvaran acted.

Sanguine Sridhar
9th April 2006, 06:50 PM
My guess! Is 'Vizhudhugal' was the first Mega-serial?

aanaa
9th April 2006, 07:27 PM
My guess! Is 'Vizhudhugal' was the first Mega-serial?
rahu vamsam
- mega serial -with jey ganesh - may be 1st serial

aanaa
9th April 2006, 07:31 PM
- Oorvasi Kalyanam " KB.s serial
Sarth babu and renuka ...

ramky
24th May 2006, 07:07 AM

Yes I too recollect it : quite hilarious , esp the way he speaks Thanglish to the north indian !

ramky
24th May 2006, 07:10 AM

Wasnt it called "Rayil Payanangalil" ? or is the latter one a movie ?
and i think it was nizhalgal ravi not sarath babu ....
a/w it was a well made serial.

Badri
24th May 2006, 07:16 AM
Yes, it was Reyil Sneham only, not payanam

And it was Nizhalgal Ravi

soccer_gal
24th May 2006, 07:47 AM
Does anyone know the name of this drama...it's like from 11 or 12 years ago.

It was about a lady whose husband died because he fell from their balacony I think during a rain..I remember how they kept focusing on the umbrella alot o_O
Then she had to raise her 3 children (2 daughters and a son) but I think she was too poor so she left them at an orphanage.

Then the drama moves forward like 10 years or something where she sees her children who are now adults.

The actor who played her son was Ramesh Arvind (guy from Duet) and actress Deviyani played the lady who adapted one of her daughters.

The drama wasn't pretty long it was like 10 cassettes or something.

shanthinisegar
24th May 2006, 08:05 AM
Hi Soccer_gal,
If I'm not mistaken, I think its KB's serial "Kaiyalavu Manasu".The mother charactor done by actress Geetha & others like Ramesh Arvind,Kasturi,Prakash raj & premi Renuka.

Regards.

soccer_gal
24th May 2006, 09:32 AM
Thank you soo much! :D That definitely must be the drama I'm talking about. I've been wanting to figure out for years what happened in the end of it. I remember how the last cassette of the drama was messed up therefore I never found out the ending. :(

bingleguy
24th May 2006, 09:59 AM
S Ve Shekar's dramas are a worth talking here too! normally they come during Diwali and Pongal seasons those times ! :-) Hilarious comedies !

Kaialavu manasu la oru kodai romba naala keezha vizhundhu kittu irundhudhu ;-) adhu keezha vizhundhuchaa ... theriyala :lol: just kidding

soccer_gal
24th May 2006, 10:42 AM
Kaialavu manasu la oru kodai romba naala keezha vizhundhu kittu irundhudhu ;-) adhu keezha vizhundhuchaa ... theriyala :lol: just kidding

hahaha :lol: I remember that now! Now that's the umbrella thing they always kept showing.

ramky
24th May 2006, 01:17 PM

hahaha :lol: I remember that now! Now that's the umbrella thing they always kept showing.

They showed the umbrella falling down to symbolically show that Geetha's husband falls to his death from a tall building. And they later kept repeating this shot, maybe to depict how her life situation had fallen down ...

phmaideen
21st September 2006, 11:57 AM
good keep it up

karthik_rcs
8th November 2009, 07:34 AM
Yes, As my previous poster said, there was in murder mystery thriller
YG Mahendran

I remember the climax, flood lights potu pidipaanga the real culprit

He used to go search of church father, who would have expired. Sema thriller

Kolaiyudhir kaalam - Monday 12-12:30
GPR Drama's Every tuesday.

Atha yaarala markka mudiyum, Antha 2 weeks munnadi drama visharchiu, edhiroli [letters from viewers], varumm
athula keppanga "Antha nadagathula, gadigaaram, [Clock] 8:30 laiye katitu irundichu.

Novels adapted
Malgudi days
THuppariyum Saambu,
Alai osai
Srirangathu kadhaigal

Fiction
Chandrakantha
Heman
Invisible Man - DD2 wed
Chanakya

Educational
Turning Point
UGC programmes

kingvj
12th May 2011, 08:39 PM
Cool thread bringing back the memories..!

I remember TV drama 'Vaali vadham' - a stage drama being played in which a character on-stage is shot at but the chief guest in the audience dies..! They used to show this as the teaser trailer.

Dramas by Leo Prabhu and Agusto were good....there was one drama in which SR Sivagami is bed-ridden and her husband character suffers a heart- attack, the way SR Sivagami recites 'Kaaka kaaka kanagavel kaaka' from the bed still gives me goosebumps...! Those were the days...!

YGM had a comedy serial 'Ambigapathi'... he also had a crime thriller 'Saththiyama Solren'....
another murder mystery 'Iruttil Oru vaanambaadi' played in the 2nd channel, if my memory serves right... the rise of 'Metro' Priya (wonder where she is now)... I remember the poignant ending of the jail-based seriel 'Dhaagam' in which the main character is hanged but symbolically shown to run away from the prison with everyone just watching him...!

Does anyone remember Kamal hassan acting in one of the Deepavali special programs? I also remember him singing 'Inji iduppazhagi' in an Illayaraaja stage show telecast during that Deepavali. 'Malarum Ninaivugal' was one awesome program interviewing all the cine artistes..!

mohsar
21st September 2011, 06:56 PM
Hi all ,the drama king vj refers was done by kamal for innaguration function of colour transmision of DD chennai program 1n 1985.

mohsar
29th September 2011, 09:53 PM
Sakthi serial was sun's first mega.It was aired at 9:30 Pm .

mohsar
19th March 2012, 08:41 AM
Rayil sneham was that serial which u r mentioning,and sarath babu acted even in,doctor Narendaranin kolaivazhaku.

VinodKumar's
24th September 2014, 04:13 PM
I and my thambi were talking abt Sujatha last week and he brought up en iniya iyandhira book .. I said it was made as a serial in DD .. he was shocked and said he never heard of that .. I told him about the dog and Sivaranjani ... today I just googled for it to send details to him and our hub page was the fourth link :clap: ...

maddydilip
4th October 2015, 05:41 PM
Adade Manohar is one of the best comedy series anytime and I can't find it anywhere in net nor it was released as DVD/VCD yet.
Hope it will be available soon.