PDA

View Full Version : HJ & his melodies

A.ANAND
18th January 2005, 06:43 AM
chellamy is 1 of biggest musical hit 2004?????????????
i can't beliaf it!!(NAMBAVE MUDIYILE)
it's normal average album from hj.not a super duper hits!!

NagaS
18th January 2005, 12:04 PM
Yes anand ... I also rate Chellamae as average, But it was a big musical hit :(

Somehow, I feel HJ is yet to produce a real melody,. Vidyasagar has done it more than once in the last couple of years and Yuvan is fast picking-up ... But surprisingly, HJ gets all high profile projects :)

(I know the first response I am going to get for this post., Let me answer in advance ... No, I can't accept "vaseegara" as a soulful melody, It had a good pallavi and very bad charaNams, which were nothing but urainadai !)

NagaS

magix
18th January 2005, 05:40 PM
NagaS..
seems there's a classical number in Anniyan.

kaetu paarkalaam. :)

NagaS
18th January 2005, 06:34 PM
magix, no problem, I can wait :)

But looking at HJ's trend, this time he will try to copy 'maargazhith thingaL allavaa' or some other ARR classical number :))

NagaS

Music4Ever
19th January 2005, 12:32 AM
PoovE vAi pEsum pOdhu seems like a nice melody from HJ. I believe, however, that it's inspired from an IR Nayagan number and also has traces of an ARR Thenali number. Some of the remarks on HJ here seem to be a tad uncharitable, though. His songs azhagiya theeyE, vaseegara, uyirin uyirE, ennai konjam, etc are all superb. Chellamae songs are good too.

magix
19th January 2005, 07:34 AM
Music4Ever,
Poovae Vaai Pesumbothu is perhaps his MOST inspired song!

It was a cocktail of Netru Illadha Maatram (Pudhiya Mugam) and Swaasame (Thenali)..

ar rahmans
19th January 2005, 08:54 AM
povee vai peesumm pothu copied from...

heal the world michael jackson

heheheh

RR
19th January 2005, 09:38 AM
My favorite HJ melodies: vaseegara,venmathiye,mudhar kanave,pinju thendrale (mainly for sandhya). 'poove vaa pesum podhu' is bordering on 'urainadai' (to borrow NagaS terminology), IMO. 'pinju thendrale' is sort of too :)

(well, tell me when the digression has gone enough. I'll move it to a HJ topic.)

NOV
19th January 2005, 09:52 AM
Mudhar kanave mudhar kanave - when it first came out - was said to be a carbon copy of Narumugaiye narumugaiye.
What made it worse was that the singers of both songs were the same - Bombay Jaysree and Unnikrishnan! :D

venmathi was of course accused of resembling chellakkiligalaam palliyile. :lol:

Music4Ever
19th January 2005, 10:24 AM
Magix, it is indeed surprising that Poove vAi pEsum podhu is inspired from nEtru illadha mAtram. I will have to listen to both closely :) I agree about the SwAsamE part. I also believe Poove vAi pesum podhu is a major inspiration from Nee oru kAdhal sangeetham.

Nov, your observations are interesting, but whoever made the accusations are probably HCARRUF (Hard core arr uncharitable fans) :)

RR
19th January 2005, 11:28 AM
NOV: First line resembles somewhat, but this is quite different lah. UnniK illai. Harish ragavendra & OS Arun.

NagaS
19th January 2005, 12:04 PM
I liked HJ's aagaaya sooriyanai song from Samurai (it has another nice melody 'moongil kaadugaLae'), "Ennaik konjam maatRi" was a novel attempt too ...

But as I said earlier, I feel HJ is yet to give one song, which we will remember and discuss after say, 20 years from now ...

NagaS

Music4Ever
19th January 2005, 08:08 PM
Nothing personal against you NagaS :)
I however feel that HJ has given stunning numbers already, signature tunes like
1) Azhagiya theeyE
2) Vaseegara
3) Uyirin uyire
4) Ondra renda aasaigaL
5) Ennai konjam

Does anyone feel moongil kaadugalae reminds one of the uyarndhavargaL song Iraivan irendu bommaigal seidhan thaan vilayada (the part where the latter song goes veyyil enna minnal enna ..)?

dinesh2002
19th January 2005, 08:22 PM
theo nly album i like from hj is Laysa Laysa & 12b,others r not rememberable...trust me... vaseegara is not listenable even now...its turns so boring now...seriously...but laysa2 is good,also 12b,but he has looooooooooots of copy from ARR,thats the minus points!!! he aint creative to create his own style or tune! just go tru my site www.arrahman.iscool.net under copy kat section!

eden
19th January 2005, 09:34 PM
vaseegarA, 'style' inspired by Careless Whispers, has a similar long life...I can hear this song any number of times...

NagaS
20th January 2005, 11:58 AM
thanks to dinesh2002 for talking abt Laysa Laysa, Let me add one more in my list of HJ fav - "Laysa Laysa" by anu sriram :)

Ithukkumaela naan paesinaa mumbai ramki kochchuppaar, DSP Prem Kumar(yaarppa athu ?)kitta poiduvaar :))

NagaS

Music4Ever
27th January 2005, 07:20 AM
HJ must have some talent because he is being sought by many now. Maybe he mimicks ARR but how many MD's can do that and still be at the top? The reason for HJ's success, IMO, apart from his use of trendy ARR-type of music, is that some of his songs are very soothing to hear. The music is not loud, an opinion expressed by more than one person that I know. His tunes also do not seem to fall into a predictable pattern. Can' t wait to hear Anniyan.

Cinefan
7th February 2005, 04:10 PM
http://sify.com/movies/imagegallery_slideshow.php?gid=13663530&imgidx=1&gname=Anniyan-On+the+sets&lid=1&gord=A&view=

On the sets of 'Anniyan'

vijayr
7th February 2005, 10:14 PM
AvaL ulaga azhagiye - tune and orchestration was pleasing. But both YSR and HJ (chief mimics of ARR) in an attempt to make the melodies extremely catchy sacrifice the soul of the song more often than not.
VS, on the other hand, whose forte is melody and not fast numbers(although a couple of his dappanguthus have become big hits) has given quite a few delectable tunes in the last 2 years.

Mouname paarvayaai, Poovasam (Anbe Sivam)
Aalanguyil (Parthiban Kanavu) - now here is a song that can be discussed even after a few years. The closest thing to a "semi-classical" in TFM in the last 5 years
Poi solla koodadhu - Run
Neeya pesiyadhu - Thirumalai
Azhagooril pirandhavaLe (SPB freaks out when he is given a melody like this)- Thirumalai

and a few more..

MumbaiRamki
8th February 2005, 02:48 AM
NagaS<
Did u not like Moongile Kadukale song ..Good lyrics ,good singing ,prononuciation ,nice interludes ....I feel this is the best song of Harris Jeyaraj ...

dinesh2002
8th February 2005, 08:06 AM
Yo man,i think harris best is Yetho ondru - Laysa Laysa ...

app_engine
8th February 2005, 10:25 PM
dinesh2002, yEtho ondru `sutta' pazham (from a popular Xmas song):-)

Music4Ever
9th February 2005, 12:13 AM
Yeah, I always wondered. There is one more which goes Ding dong
ding dong en kanavil...

NagaS
9th February 2005, 11:55 AM
Mumbai Ramki, I liked 'moongil kaadugaLae' song very much :) the album had another good song 'aagaaya sooriyanae'

NagaS

vincent
8th April 2005, 08:48 AM
LAYSA LAYSA IS MY FAVORITE ALBUM OF HJ

yvsmani
8th April 2005, 01:43 PM
songs from chellamae were also good. Even though it sounds repetitive, HJ is good.

Arjuna
8th April 2005, 06:05 PM
HJ is definitely better than YSR,KR and Co..

kbee
8th April 2005, 10:28 PM
arjuna, why you are pulling KR here. He is retired and not associated with music. leave him alone.

Arjuna
12th April 2005, 01:24 AM
kbee - i think u have insulted KR by saying he has retired :) - same side goal?

alias
13th April 2005, 01:50 AM
Ha hahaha what a joke.. HJ and his melodies. It sounds like ANu Malik and his melodies. Man, whatever melodies, he create straightly borrowed or influenced or copied or surtified from ARR.

vincent
13th April 2005, 02:58 PM
Ha hahaha what a joke.. HJ and his melodies. It sounds like ANu Malik and his melodies. Man, whatever melodies, he create straightly borrowed or influenced or copied or surtified from ARR.
ARR NEVER DID "NAATUPURA SONG LIKE HJ
eg; PUNNAKENNE SONNA -ARUL
VEPPA MARAM - SAMY

alias
13th April 2005, 08:50 PM
vincent listen to Karuthamma, Taj Mahal, Kizhakku Simaiyele and Sangamam, they all have folk song (natapura pattu). So dude dont jump into conclusions.

dinesh2002
15th April 2005, 10:48 AM
ARR NEVER DID "NAATUPURA SONG LIKE HJ
eg; PUNNAKENNE SONNA -ARUL
VEPPA MARAM - SAMY

brother...... veppa maram is a cheap version of madrasa sutti pakka poren - may madham.... listen to the violin usage in both the songs...its very very simular....punnakene sonna ??? go listen to albums mentioned by alias..... please survey before u talk here brother!!

kamarajc
16th April 2005, 02:05 AM
Most of the time, I hate these discussion forms. With due respect to some people who really value the work of others. Fans of Rahman have spent most of their time in lamenting about others. I am an ardent fan of Ilayaraja, but that does not stop me from appreciating the good works of Rahman. Rahman is obviously a gem. But, let us not try to glorify Rahman by giving him the merit of someone else's good work. In my opinion, Harris Jayaraj HAS stuff. A weighted observation of mine also tells that Karthikraja is much better than Yuvan and Vidyasagar. D.Imman, Srikanth Deva and Joshua Sridhar can give some hits now and then. Anyways, I am going to stop commenting about others here in HJ thread with just one last comment - "HJ is next only to Ilayaraja and Rahman in terms of creativity and talent".

My favorite melodies of HJ in their order are :

1. Moongil Kaadugalae [Samurai]
2. Oh Mugalai [Arasaktchi]
3. Mazhai mazhai [Ullam Kaetkumae]
4. Ye Chilipi [Telugu-Gharshana]-Dont miss it.
5. Vaseegara [Minnalae]
6. Edho Ondru [Lesa Lesa]
7. Nenjai Poo pol Bit [Minnalae]
8. Oh manamae oh manamae [Ullam Kaetkumae]
9. Pinju Thendralae [Majnu]
10. Poove Vaaipesum bodhu [12B]

Music4Ever
16th April 2005, 09:24 PM
I fully agree that Harris J is a good talent. I love the following numbers composed by him

1) Poove vai pesum podhu
2) Oh Moghalai
3) Oh azagiya theeye

However, what do you mean by "let us not try to glorify Rahman by giving him the merit of someone else's good work"? It appears you are hinting that HJ was involved in all the hits of ARR, and that makes you not different from other one-sided fans.

ARR himself has said HJ worked with him in four films only. Be gracious and accept that ARR hits are due to his talent, just like HJ's hits are due to his talent. Indeed, an uncharitable ARR fan could make a strong case that HJ's music is just ARR's music, probably softer and soothing. And he will have lot of evidence to back his statement!

kamarajc
17th April 2005, 02:11 AM
I was just trying to mean that even some genuine work of HJ are related to some previous work of AR Rahman and denying HJ the merit for his goodwork.

Music4Ever
17th April 2005, 07:01 PM
OK, I see your point. I also like his recent number "kaathalikkum aasai-illai kangal unnai kanum varai".

app_engine
18th April 2005, 08:45 PM
"even some genuine work of HJ"..anga dhAn kamarajc sir udhaikkudhu...

...while `vaseegara of minnalE' from your list is a great melodious song, `Edho ondRu' from laysa-laysa is a suruttal from a popular xmas tune and hence not a `genuine work of HJ':-(

alias
20th April 2005, 12:04 AM
To be very frank with you, these are HJ songs which I personally enjoyed (removing ARR fan cap for a while :-))

1. Vasegaara (minnale)
2. Omaha Zeeya (kakha kakha)
3. Ondra Endra Aasaigal (Kakha kakha)
4. Edho Onru (Laysa Laysa)
5.... thinking thinking... probably thats it :)

dinesh2002
21st April 2005, 01:55 AM
if im not mistaken hj only worked for mudhalvan,coz he got credited...and othe albums i dun see him get credited.....anyone can tell us which albums hj actually 'worked' in?

kamarajc
26th April 2005, 04:00 AM
Hi dinesh2002, I liked the pun in your posting. I am not much interesting in relating a song to some old song of another MD. Most of the time, such findings are biased. I agree that HJ is not able to make a big difference in his work when compared to ARR and that he was trying to ape ARR. But it has been 5 years and he is evolving with his own style now.

My listing was only of melodious songs of HJ. Overall, I have a different choice and order. Cheers.. :P

Music4Ever
26th April 2005, 06:30 AM
Mohalai Mohalai Mohalai Moha-lai lai lai

What a song by Harris. First the dainty guitar bits (or whatever the knowledgeable would refer them as) followed by the Mohalai bit followed again by the same guitar bits and then

Manadhil siru siru siru siru mazhai thuLi vizhugiradhE

If the prelude was awesome, the interludes are delightful. The first interlude contains some harmonium (?) piece followed by superb mixture of claps and other guitar bits.

And then comes this sweet two-line stuff:

kann simittum nErathilE
minnalena thondrum thondrum

The second interlude is filled with delighful and idiosyncratic HJ stuff, specifically some chorus mouthing sillilai etc.

Finally the song fades off slowly with

Mohalai sillilai Mohalai sillilai .....

Well done, HJ. What have you up your sleeve for Anniyan? Let us see.

Cinefan
26th April 2005, 11:34 AM
http://sify.com/movies/tamil/fullstory.php?id=13727131

Anniyan audio hits the market today.

It would also be interesting to hear the music of Vettaiaadu........

kamarajc
26th April 2005, 10:03 PM
Sure.. HJ has some real interesting projects in hand... Apart from 'Vettaiyaadu Vilaiyaadu'... 'Ghajini' is also highly expected. 2003 was a great year for HJ. Hope he will fare better in 2005. And, Anniyan is his first album in 2005.

Any idea about the lyricist for VV? Gautham - HJ - Thamarai combo did a magic in Kaaka Kaaka.. hope they continue in VV also.