PDA

View Full Version : Great places to eat out - recommend!

hehehewalrus
18th January 2005, 05:32 PM
Lets discuss the best places to eat out, their specialities and the pros and cons :tongueout: :tongueout: :tongueout:

NOV
19th January 2005, 07:06 AM
You will get better response in Food section, where this thread should belong. ;)

hehehewalrus
19th January 2005, 07:10 AM
Maybe i overrated the eating capacity of the Miscellaneous hubbers :(

Hope they prove me wrong :D

Thiru
19th January 2005, 07:31 AM
depends on the location hhw.... ovoru oorukku onnu famous...
for example parasakthi in salem, thindukkal thalappa katti naidu, mylapore Rama's cafe (the original) etc...ippothaikku enakku soru podare ore hotel udupi dosa house :wink:

Shekhar
19th January 2005, 03:59 PM
My friends seem to think the best place to eat out is my place. It is the best in town and it is free ... :evil: :)

Roshan
19th January 2005, 04:09 PM
My friends seem to think the best place to eat out is my place. It is the best in town and it is free ... :evil: :)

It's 'best' because of your wife's cooking skills :lol:

Shekhar
19th January 2005, 05:50 PM
Ha Ha .. I knew that's what you would say !!!

It is thanks to my wonderful maid servant to whom I owe my excellent health!! :lol: :lol:

Raghu
19th January 2005, 06:10 PM
The place to eat out is ' mum's house ' :D :D :thumbsup:

Roshan
20th January 2005, 12:09 PM
Ha Ha .. I knew that's what you would say !!!

It is thanks to my wonderful maid servant to whom I owe my excellent health!! :lol: :lol:

Shekhar,

It's again a woman and that's the important point ! ! :D

Dr. Veena
24th January 2005, 07:55 PM
I like "Geethar" in Sharjah 'Chappan Bhog'Restaurant in Dubai. In Kerala, I like Siddhartha Regency at Thrissur & Kapilavasthu in Palghat.

blahblah
25th January 2005, 10:58 AM
I would suggest Hongkong Restaurant in Cochin,Empire Restaurant in Bangalore[Near Shivajinagar Bus Station] and Southern Spice in Pune[Near Ruby Hall clinic].

hehehewalrus
25th January 2005, 01:09 PM
Blahblah,
Very poor taste! I was expecting you to name some good keralathinde restaurants from pune. Pathetic fellow you are :D

See, not even one mallu restaurant from bangalore. Been to Hotel Mas opposite Infosys which is a second home to Keralites? :)

I was delighted to find a caterer Mohanettaan who made delicious parottas. Weekly once, he offers Kappa with fish curry that is just out of the world. I forgot the phone number but can give the location if you are interested.

blahblah
27th January 2005, 11:07 AM
Walrus,You make me mad! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Southern Spice is inevitably a Kerala restaurant,their caption says "cuisines from the God's own country".Again Empire restaurant from Bangalore which I have mentioned is run by Mallus and serves perfect sea food and other non-veg items.They have another branch near St.Thomas town at the place called Kammanahalli.If you are in Bangalore,you should also try out a little place with no name at all.It is behind Dharmaram College,on the road with the three wedding halls called Suryodaya,Arunodaya and Chandrodaya.Ask for Varghese Chettan's 'Hotel',opp. St.Thomas Church. :D

Shakthiprabha.
27th January 2005, 07:23 PM
Hey there are umpteen nos in blore.

TANDOOR in mgroad.
GRAMIN in Kormangla (esp if one likes the tingy chat masala taste, flavoured high on punjabi style)

HALLIMANE in link road (to enjoy the flavoured Karnataka
akki roti and kinds)

LOTS OF SMALL SLV restaurants where we get MOUTH WATERING DOSAS

omg, I AM GONNA DINE OUT TODAY....

hehehewalrus
28th January 2005, 04:11 AM
Blah blah,
thanks :D Atleast I forced you at gunpoint to leak out some places where I can enjoy :D

Bangalore is utter waste for food - neither north indian nor south indian. If you are not armed with info on the tamil-style, andhra-style, kerala-style restaurants, stomach upsets will be a daily occurence.

Shaktiprabha, what kind of cooking is followed in the places you mentioned?

Best bet for south indian meal is Krishna Kafe, Koramangala. Excellent unlimited food - delicious poriyal, kootu, sambhar, rasam, pappad, curd, buttermilk, pickle - mouthwatering indeed!!
But its a bit pricey - Rs. 50!!
Madras is a winner all the way. However Saravana Bhavan is overrated - Perfect description of it is "utter waste"!

hehehewalrus
28th January 2005, 04:13 AM
LOTS OF SMALL SLV restaurants where we get MOUTH WATERING DOSAS

Bangalore dosas! Plzzz.....their sambhars have every color of the rainbow mixed in them!! :evil: :evil:

pavalamani pragasam
28th January 2005, 08:13 AM
And sweetened too :cry: ( What an irony :!: It is hot sambar that should make me cry, but B;lore's sweet sambar makes me cry- in sorrow :cry: ) Another handicap- some hotels close during noon :!: :!: :!: Good old Tamilnadu for Epicureans :lol:

hehehewalrus
28th January 2005, 08:28 AM
TN is the best place for sambhar. Automatically too, since they dont make it elsewhere.
Forgot a must-taste preparation from kerala - More Kozhambu! What a taste - especially when taken with the ubiquitous banana poriyal and chip-like pappads. Tamil nadu, thalli nillu!

One of the reasons every dish in Bangalore is called "bath"(Rice bath, bisi bele bath, karra bath, even pongal bath) is there's enough water for you to swim in.

Shakthiprabha.
28th January 2005, 08:38 AM
And sweetened too :cry: ( What an irony :!: It is hot sambar that should make me cry, but B;lore's sweet sambar makes me cry- in sorrow :cry: ) Another handicap- some hotels close during noon :!: :!: :!: Good old Tamilnadu for Epicureans :lol:

Bangalore dosas! Plzzz.....their sambhars have every color of the rainbow mixed in them!! :evil: :evil:

I sure dont knwo the cooking they adhere to..I am not a cook either :D but yes, CHENNAI CAN stand nowhere near the North Indian delicacies Bangalore offers.

Regarding SLV dosa, I am a dosa freak, and I shall tell u secret 8) dont eat Dosa with Sambhar, they give yummy chutneys.

Dosas have hundreds of varieties here, like veg dosa, ragi dosa etc which is much better for health and compliments our taste buds.
Imagine CHENNAI DOSA, which is sooo greasy, batter as soul as buttermilk and NEVER hot(I meant hot not in spicy way).

FOOD IS ANYDAY GREAT IN BANGALORE. :poke:

BTW, Where is this Krishna cafe? (I hear my hus complaining, as such she freaks out in hotels, now she has a hub which advises where to eat and where not :lol: )

Shakthiprabha.
28th January 2005, 08:48 AM
One of the reasons every dish in Bangalore is called "bath"(Rice bath, bisi bele bath, karra bath, even pongal bath) is there's enough water for you to swim in.

That was Hilllarious hehehewalrus, nevertheless, mentioning that for karrabath and rice bath is an EXAGERATION.

Reg pongal, THATS THE ONLY DISH I HATE IN BANGALORE. Near BTM second stage, we have hotel called udupi darshan, they started adhering to tamizhnaadu standard of Pongal.
tamizh software guys, and local tamilians here taught them to make good pongal. Nooo! you wont get raitha as side dish dotn worry :roll:

I have a Dietician as my friend, who suffocates at the thought of Pongal made my tamilians. She would say, "mix all veg, make it more watery, dont add ghee to season it, and TRY THAT PONGAL, its so tasty and yumy"

I would RATHER NOT EAT PONGAL than eating it this way :tongueout:

hehehewalrus
28th January 2005, 09:17 AM
CHENNAI CAN stand nowhere near the North Indian delicacies Bangalore offers.

Incorrect, Bangalore's north indian gravies are horrible - its just another swimming session for a handful of vegetables. Go to a pucca punjabi/marati restaurant if you want good sabzi. Chappathis arent good either.

Imagine CHENNAI DOSA, which is sooo greasy.
Not true. You should see the layer of oil on the masala dosas in Bang. Whenever you dip your dosa piece into the sambhar, you can see the layer of oil mixing with the already colorful-sambhar.

Besides, the fantastic Chennai dish Onion Dosa(freshly diced onions rolled inside the paper thin dosa) is non-existent in Bangalore. Bangalore cant distinguish Onion dosa from Onion Utthaapa(hard as rubber).

BTW, Where is this Krishna cafe? (I hear my hus complaining, as such she freaks out in hotels, now she has a hub which advises where to eat and where not :lol: )
[/quote]

What is a hus? and what is a hub?

Krishna Kafe is in Kora 5th Block. Turn right into 80 feet road from Hosur road(there's a shopping complex called Sunday to monday or something - orange logo - at the mouth of this road). You will find Hutch/Foodworld/musicworld/ICICI on the left and Citibank on the right. Keep going straight, you will get Global Trust Bank, a temple followed by a bus stop. Turn right from the bus stop into 60 feet road. Central bank is on the left. Opposite will be Krishna Kafe on the first floor. Enjoy the rice all over the banana leaf, spoonfuls of ghee, and several mounds of bhaaji placed by the alert waiters officious to your needs. You will get a humongous 4 inch roasted red chilly and mango pickle to go with the buttermilk, 2 types of pappad and some payasam to top it off. A 3'o clock lunch would be ideal so you can eat at leisure. Plus enjoy in silence without the crackpot noise of Jonzie, Darius on Radio City, which is a nuisance all over bangalore. The atmosphere is a bit old fashioned there, without the usual noise, chatter and hustle-bustle of other restaurants.

hehehewalrus
28th January 2005, 09:30 AM
Talking of ice-creams, one absolutely fabulous place in bangalore!

Cool Joint at Jayanagar 4th block.

Unbelievably exotic variety of delicious ice creams, Sundaes and fruit salads. The icecreams are gorgeous and priced at Rs.25 or so, which is too good. Absolutely ravishing!

Only thing is they pack up from 2-4 PM, ridiculous coz thats the peak time to have ice cream.

And yeah, no doubts about their location. Bang opposite Vijaya Junior College!

Shakthiprabha.
28th January 2005, 10:29 AM
////What is a hus? and what is a hub? ////

Hus = husband
hub = forumhub

I never knew I need to explain such common abbr.(NOW DONT ASK ME
WHATS ABBR.)

Kidding, no offense meant.

Thanx for the route. I shall def visit some day. Anyone who is fond of banana leaf kinda food should also try out andra restaurants, they have nice pappu, gongura chutney etc served in banana leaf style. The BEST ONE IS 'Amaravathi' in residency road.

I would NEVER AGREE that north indina food here is BAD. Please refrain from trying out in normal SLV type of hotels or small darshan types. THEY ARE MEANT FOR SOUTH INDIAN FOOD VARIETIES. Trying out in typical north indian hotels which would tell u tales about THE TASTE OF BANGALORE.

For that matter in chennai, in any normal restaurant, the cleanliness is awful and NORTH INDIAN SUBZIs are pure torture to eat. They just sprinkle garam masala and call it NORTH INDIAN FOOD. The reception, customer care etc is much better in Bangalore than in chennai, where, in a typical middle class hotels, we find the employees dressed in dirty clothes and throwing us the food plates with gloomy faces.

Culinary art includes...

Food decor
Good appetizers
Good Starters
Customer(or guest) care
and
the art of HOSTING THE food with a smile.

Any day Bangalore stands way ahead in all of the above.

So much so, TASTES AND PREFERENCES ARE RELATIVE. TRUCE.

__

Taking about Icecreams, LAKEVIEW in MGRoad is good
and so is CORNER HOUSE in 9th block Jayanagar.

blahblah
28th January 2005, 10:41 AM
Prabha[I call you so because there is another Shakthi from Malaysia.],If you are looking for Andhra food,you should certainly try out NANDHINI.But not at their branches in Indiranagar,Koramangala or Gandhinagar.Go to the one Near Lalbaugh.That was the one to open first and still retain the taste.Also try out Gongura on Airport Road at Murgesh Palayam.Amaravati too is very good.But being a 'pakka mallu',I can't be without Kerala food. :wink:

hehehewalrus
28th January 2005, 10:48 AM
SP/blahblah
I have been to Andhra style places - First and last time! it was the Indiranagar Nandhinis.

What is SLV? Satellite Launch Vehicle? Here today and gone tomorrow restaurant?

BTW, here are reviews of Amaravathi Restaurant on the web. It is really hilarious!!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
whenever I go, there seems to be very few customers around. The whole crowd of waiters pounce upon you which ultimately ends up making the customer feel very uncomfortable

Waiters will crowd you left, right & center. But still the food is great!

THE QUALITY OF FOOD HAS COME DONE VERY MUCH BUT THE PRICES ARE ON THE HIGHER SIDE.THEIR PRICES ARE HIGH TECH WHILE THEIR SERVICE IS OF THE BUFFALO AGE

The whole world's changing for the better, but this one place is lost in this world. The waiters are literally waiting right next to ur skin and watching your every bite, dont know if their hungry or god knows what.

you should feed the waiters. One fish fry or one chicken fry does not cost much. Also they get off on watching customers eat!

once i saw a dead rat on the sofa and no one bothered

why didn't you eat the rat?
- Amaravathi Manager

Dear Amravathi Manager, Thank you for your advice...I did not want to deprive you of your dinner
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HE HE HE HE HE :rotfl: :rotfl:

I and a Pune-ite friend went to a Blore restaurant and ordered Butter Masala Dosa. After 10 min, waiter said there's no butter. We made it Masala Dosa. After 10 min, No masala either. We finally ordered Plain Dosa after ensuring they atleast had batter.

blahblah,
good to see you finally contributing to the restaurant thread. But of course, your knowledge of restaurants is nothing compared to your knowledge of Lalbagh :lol2: :lol2:

nirosha sen
28th January 2005, 10:52 AM
Mmmm....Andhra Food - Food that you can taste with your eyes :cry: :cry: :cry: It's an adv. I came across in Karnataka, Pa!!

pavalamani pragasam
28th January 2005, 12:02 PM
Shakthi, paruppillaama kalyaaNamaa? saambaarillaama dOsaiyaa? No chance :evil: We love saambaar vadai & do you know the yummy cute little idlies swimming in saambaar in Saravana Bavan?The name of the dish is "14 idlis". In our ubiquitous Saravana Bavan food is tasty, hot, clean- totally satisfying eating experience- the range is wide- ask it, you have it, Punjabi thaali meals or anything :P

pavalamani pragasam
28th January 2005, 01:13 PM
A situation similar to Kambar’s “thOL kaNdaar thOLE kaNdaar” happens at Sangeetha’s( near Trichy central bus stand) in “idli uNdaar idliyE uNdaar”. It is ambrosia: 2 superb idlis(piping hot) placed on the banana leaf surrounded by saambaar(perfect), coconut chutney(excellent), idli podi(ideal), vadakaRi(unique) & tomato chutney(wonderful). We order for it again & again- in spite of the fact that everything else there is also extraordinarily good, be it aappam(typical grandma’s preparartion!), parota or non-greasy roast dosai or parota or chappathis. :D

blahblah
28th January 2005, 01:21 PM
blahblah,
good to see you finally contributing to the restaurant thread. But of course, your knowledge of restaurants is nothing compared to your knowledge of Lalbagh :lol2: :lol2:

:? :? Why you sid that Pal?Can't understand.

Bad Boy
28th January 2005, 03:32 PM
Are there any good places -insiders' tips- in Colombo? I don't mean expensive but quality, service, ambience

kulsam
28th January 2005, 03:55 PM
in bangalore mallu restaraunt

coconut groove -it has branches in koramangala and mg road.

the best is karavalli.the prices are high but worth it.

amaravathi,nandhini,nagarguna provides tasty food.

for good non veg food try out lazzis in koramangala

blahblah
29th January 2005, 10:58 AM
Coconut grove on Church Street is supposed to be good.I had never been there as the looks call for money :wink: .Where is Lazzis?Is it the one in KHB colony or the old Lazzi's Tava which has a branch in Cox Town?

Surya
29th January 2005, 01:07 PM
A restraunt that i always loved in bangalore. There used to be a "Rice Bowl" on Commercial street. I just loved it!!

blahblah
29th January 2005, 05:09 PM
Have any of you been to 'WANLEY' restaurant in Indiranagar?It used to be near RTO,but shifted later.Now it is somewhere near 100 ft road close to a temple.The Tibetan gentleman,Thomas Wanley,who runs the restaurant is a down to earth guy and provides personal attention to all.I have seen him making some dishes too.Sometimes it is not just the taste that matters and he makes you feel at home. :)

Tell my name and he might offer you a discount.Who knows! :wink: :D

[I forgot that you don't know my name-ofcourse you can't say blahblah :D :D :lol: ]

Mainland China[on St.Marks Road] opened their branch in Pune recently.But to hell with them.They think they are offering us some charity. :evil: But any way Chinese food[what you get here in India] makes me throw up.I just can't understand why some women,including my wife, :? crave for that.

Shakthiprabha.
29th January 2005, 07:34 PM
////Mainland China[on St.Marks Road] opened their branch in Pune recently.But to hell with them.They think they are offering us some charity. But any way Chinese food[what you get here in India] makes me throw up.I just can't understand why some women,including my wife, crave for that.////

Hey try out 'SPARLKLING SPINACH' in MAINLAND CHINA....its mouth watering. You wont regret eating spinach too. Great as starters.

As surya said, IVE HEARD RICE BOWL IS yummy, not tried my luck yet. Once I had been there, just to return with dissapointment. TOO CROWDED I should say..

PP madam, I AM OFF TO CHENNAI NOW, JUST TO EAT THOSE floating idlis in yummy sambhar :))

Noone would believe if i say, I HAVE NEVER TASTED FOOD IN SARAVANA BHAVAN as yet. :((

hmmm contemplating on....

EATING TO LIVE ...or
LIVING TO EAT.

( I would prefer second one, PROVIDED I AM NOT ASKED TO COOK ) :p

Shakthiprabha.
29th January 2005, 07:36 PM
LIKE kulsam said,

Nandini, nagarjuna is good too for andhra food.

I love mallu food (only veg)

Me beign a vegetarian, i invaded karavalLi long back,
SORRY TO SAY, the smell is intoxicatingly nonveg. May be
vegetarians dotn enjoy. :(

Surya
30th January 2005, 12:43 AM
True. Rice Bowl is often crowded! That's why when I lived in Bangalore about a decade ago, My dad would call them and ask them to reserve one for us and he'd do it since we were his regulars. I was 14 at the time, and now, I still haven't eaten Chinese food which is quite that good.
Has anyone tried Hotel Shilpa, near the Majestic Bus Station. I always loved it. Used to go there after school almost everyday!

hehehewalrus
30th January 2005, 12:43 AM
Noone would believe if i say, I HAVE NEVER TASTED FOOD IN SARAVANA BHAVAN as yet. :((

Better not! they are the biggest rippers of Tamil Nadu.
On my last chennai visit - I had breakfast for Rs.39 and still felt starved(a measly dosa costs Rs.22, coffee is 9 or 10...).
A friend of mine went to some SB outlet in US - dosa was $5 and it vanished in seconds!
For $5, you can buy a whole wetgrinder itself in tamil nadu!

Surya
30th January 2005, 12:51 AM
Yeah, there is a SB in Sunnyvalle, in the Bay Area, but I guess it depends on when you go there. If its on weekends, then the food is great. But on weekdays, it tends to be quite bad, and the quantity seems to be quite low. But they seem pretty good on weekends.

raman3377
21st August 2009, 01:56 PM
Hey guys! Good food recommend means I can list the best in all cuisines right.. Just check out this listing HERE (http://www.findnearyou.com/Home/frmLists.aspx?prodid=258&catid=32&utm_campaign=sita&utm_medium=Forums) of all the restaurants in Chennai. they are affordable one and are the best in their cuisine!

chevy
17th January 2011, 12:28 PM
LIKE kulsam said,

Nandini, nagarjuna is good too for andhra food.

I love mallu food (only veg)

Me beign a vegetarian, i invaded karavalLi long back,
SORRY TO SAY, the smell is intoxicatingly nonveg. May be
vegetarians dotn enjoy. :(
we always lunch there when we're in blore