PDA

View Full Version : Favorite filmmaker from 70's

kid-glove
14th August 2009, 11:59 AM
Should have made more than one (great) film in the decade. Similarly, I've seen only a single great film of Scorsese fomr the decade, Taxi Driver, and similarly, Forman's One flew over.., Truffaut's The wild child and Malle's 'Murmur of heart', Melville's The red circle, Fellini's Amarcord, and "Farewell my lovely" - I don't recollect the filmmaker. IIRC, I haven't seen a 70's film from Godard. So, A strictly personal list:
Kubrick - ACO, and Barry Lyndon
Coppola - Appocalypse Now, The Godfather and Conversation
Bertolucci - Conformist, Last Tango in Paris and Novecento(1900)
Herzog - Aguirre, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, Stroszek, Nosferatu (numerous other shorts, and documentaries)
Terrence Malick - Badlands and Days of Heaven
Antonioni - The Passenger, Zabriskie Point
Bunuel - The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, Obscure object of Desire, The Phantom of Liberty
Cassavetes - A Woman Under the Influence , Killing of Chinese Bookie, Opening Night
Polanski - Tess, Chinatown, Tenant
Peckinpah - Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, The Getaway, and Straw Dogs (wanting to see 'Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid ')
Altman - Long Goodbye, MASH, Nashville, 3 Women

I didn't include Tarkovsky and Woody Allen, to give others a fair deal. :yessir:

groucho070
14th August 2009, 12:21 PM
About time this decade given his due. Will post my fav's later...am afraid they are still mainstream Hollywood (or New Yorkers mostly).

kid-glove
14th August 2009, 12:51 PM
Yes please. You are switched into MM mode, please do continue. Enjoyed your posts.

groucho070
4th February 2010, 01:15 PM
In effort to induct my wife into movie buffdom (and pull her away from E! Kardashians, The Hill, etc) I sat with her and watched the following. Suppose to give her a Movie buff cert :P . Here's what we watched:

The Long Goodbye: Superb, she loved it. I am loving it more!
The French Connection: What can I say? She was thrilled and got disturbed towards the climax. You know why.
The French Connection II: Slower for her, but she hung on. I loved it even more (wrote a bit in the other section).
Godfather: She teared many times...err...during the "look how they massacred my boy", tears welled in my eyes too :oops:
Godfather II: Both story intrigued her. Awesome filmaking, enatta solla!
Mean Streets: Don't watch it alone. Watch it with someone and see the laugh coming. Didn't know it was that funny when I first saw it. We enjoyed it.

Still to go:
Taxi Driver
3 Days Of The Condor
Invasion of The Body Snatcher
One Flew Over...
All The President's Men
A Clockwork Orange
The Sting.

Mattapadi, she's a regular when it comes to Eastwood and Woody Allen and she saw all of their seventies save one of Woody's TV film that I haven't watched myself.

This weekend, and this will be ultimate ride and maybe the most difficult film she had ever seen:

Apocalypse Now!

kid-glove
4th February 2010, 02:56 PM
That's a start. :thumbsup:

Let's revive this thread. Awesome decade. :clap:

kid-glove
4th February 2010, 03:04 PM
Btw I'd be watching these films too.

Altman's "McCabe & Mrs Miller"

Peckinpah's "The ballad of cable hogue"

Somewhat similar films (in sub-genres), and these filmmakers have already given few of my favorites in 70's. I'll update as soon as I watch them. :boo:

I hope others put up their list. It'd be a good starting point to gather neglected gems.

kid-glove
10th February 2010, 12:09 PM
Thanks to QT's reco in his archives site, I watched "Rolling thunder"

Is actually a poor man's "Taxi driver" (although it has its own aspects), I read Paul Schrader had written both the films direct and exploitive of his own situation (his wife and children left him, a chief inspiration for the main role in "Rolling thunder" right there). Unlike "Taxi driver", "Rolling thunder" binds family situation to actions of the protagonist (And his side kick, yeah there is one). Apart from psychological trauma, there is also a sequence in whorehouse that reminds one of "Taxi driver". And Jodie Foster part isn't exactly mirrored but a grown-up different version provides interest to our protagonist, and like in Taxi driver, acts quite an useful tool. The direction is the way I'd like it to be, violence comes uninvited to break the moods of tranquility, and probably remains the only state of "excitement" in the conditioned, disturbed military mind.

The lead actor is no De niro, but his silence and lack of expression works alright. Young Tommy lee Jones (is the side kick aforementioned) :thumbsup:

groucho070
10th February 2010, 02:55 PM
The lead actor is no De niro, but his silence and lack of expression works alright. Young Tommy lee Jones (is the side kick aforementioned) :thumbsup:William Devane? Always wondered why he was never a big star...I mean at least Roy Scheider range would have been good. Pretty unimpressive resume...he had a great face.

kid-glove
10th February 2010, 02:57 PM
The lead actor is no De niro, but his silence and lack of expression works alright. Young Tommy lee Jones (is the side kick aforementioned) :thumbsup:William Devane? Always wondered why he was never a big star...I mean at least Roy Scheider range would have been good. Pretty unimpressive resume...he had a great face.

:thumbsup:

He deserves to be in a Sergio Leone movie, would be an apt rival to Charles Bronson. :)

groucho070
10th February 2010, 02:59 PM
Should see him now, with those lines in his face. I saw him last in Space Cowboy (sort of got reunited with TLJ) and with all those geezers, there was about a million wrinkles. And the film was a big hit :D

kid-glove
10th February 2010, 03:01 PM
Should see him now, with those lines in his face. I saw him last in Space Cowboy (sort of got reunited with TLJ) and with all those geezers, there was about a million wrinkles. And the film was a big hit :D

Exactly why I think he'd be apt for a Leone film. The Eyes as if it were staring from a dead carcass. Picture-perfect.

kid-glove
5th March 2010, 01:10 PM
I've uploaded the extras of ballad of cablue hogue.

Stella Stevens on Sam Peckinpah. As you'd expect, very scathing about him as a person - a coward, liar, thuggish, and insane enfant terrible, except he is no L'enfant. And the film itself, which I kinda liked myself. Essential viewing to understand the broad scope of "Western" as a genre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQG8X2W7S5A

(Part I of II)

groucho070
5th March 2010, 01:18 PM
Haven't seen it yet, bro. :oops: Padatta partuttu estra-va parkalaam. Thanks.

kid-glove
5th March 2010, 01:24 PM
Definitely one of the lighter films of Sam Peckinpah. His versatility within the genre is noteworthy. :clap:

groucho070
5th March 2010, 01:38 PM
Plus it has Stella... :slurp:

Moving on, recent 70s revisit: Heaven Can Wait

Inspiration for NT's Dharma Raja and Rajini's Adhisaya Piravi (both remakes of Telugu so let's blame the Telugu film industry for the rip off).

Am still trying to figure out what makes Beatty a swell actor. Interesting concept, not too funny, and featuring the awesome Jack Warden. Nice movie, not great iconic for 70s. It was remade with Christ Rock right?

kid-glove
5th March 2010, 01:52 PM
Haven't watched it yet. But want to. Beatty is at the least, very interesting to watch in his late-60's and 70's work. I'd say his presence in films like Shampoo, and Mccabe & Mrs Miller, are especially good. But I'm surprised by your reaction to HCW, I heard he is great in this.

Agree re. Stella, she was great, but her career faded off. And she tells how she got manipulated by Sam Peckinpah, off the role in "Getaway". While I think Stella Stevens is a better actress than Ali McGraw, and it's an interesting thought. I think McGraw has the odd demeanor, and fatal sensibilities, that worked in "Getaway".

groucho070
5th March 2010, 02:02 PM
Nuts to McGraw. Stella would have been good, if not great. Gosh, how did they ever gave Ali a career? I am still safely tucked away from Love Story. Oops...the dark side of the glorious 70s :P

Well, Beatty was a bit too understated here...energy pattala...which seemed weird coz he's playing a football player :? Something's missing. I am thinking if it was, say, Bill Murray it would have been tremendous!

kid-glove
5th March 2010, 02:27 PM
Obviously, nepotism helped her career, as it did for considerable number of people in 70's. Her then husband was Paramount production chief, Evans, and he pushed her to play the role alongside Mcqueen, Bogdanovich walked out, just as he walked out of Chinatown (in both cases, he wanted his girlfriend, Cybill to play the lead role). End of the year, both Ali and Cybill would both dump their boyfriends. Ali dumped Evans in favor of Mcqueen. :rotfl:

Cybill, no less a b****, asked to be in date with Nicholson to make Bogdanovich jealous, and then would later reject De niro's offer to date on sets of Taxi driver, when she was single.

Another great thing about 70's, is that, films could be made about stuff like this. Real life femme fatales among actresses. Hah!

groucho070
5th March 2010, 02:44 PM
:lol:

By the way, did you read Easy Riders & Raging Bulls (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easy_Riders,_Raging_Bulls)? Awesome. A must read for 70s Hollywood film fans.

I commented about it here back in 2002. (http://rakeshkumar7.tripod.com/id1.html)

kid-glove
5th March 2010, 02:48 PM
I have seen the documentary. Such Books are inaccessible in these parts..

kid-glove
5th March 2010, 03:14 PM
http://www.veoh.com/search/videos/q/de+palma+scene+by+scene#watch%3Dv6276119CkczqbKk

Scene by Scene with De Palma

A good interview on a "cinematic", "voyeuristic", "hitchcockian" filmmaker..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIOe3uEj9rY

Part I of many, Scene by Scene with Lynch

Two very different filmmakers. Lynch hardly a 70's powerhouse, but Eraserhead is such a phenomenon (I've heard it's Kubrick's favorite film, Coens and Charlie Kaufman have also talked in glowing words about it)

The host, Cousins, is irritating at times, but he does alright overall in both the interviews.

kid-glove
5th March 2010, 04:35 PM
I've uploaded the extras of ballad of cablue hogue.

Stella Stevens on Sam Peckinpah. As you'd expect, very scathing about him as a person - a coward, liar, thuggish, and insane enfant terrible, except he is no L'enfant. And the film itself, which I kinda liked myself. Essential viewing to understand the broad scope of "Western" as a genre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQG8X2W7S5A

(Part I of II)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot_t7eU47y0

Part II of II

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZS3LnwO32c

From Magnolia extras: Jason Robards on Peckinpah film "Ballad of Cable Hogue", a short anecdote on the fat Lizard explosion scene in opening of the film... :lol:

The Lizard explosion is missing (there is a lighthearted feel in that opening sequence, following that cinematic sequence) in youtube... :twisted:

kid-glove
26th April 2010, 03:07 PM
The Godfather Parts I & II

Still great as ever..

kid-glove
6th May 2010, 08:41 PM
http://www.timeout.com/film/news/1213/

Mark Peploe remembers the journey that led to him working on 'The Passenger'.

Avadi to America
5th June 2010, 12:37 AM
In effort to induct my wife into movie buffdom (and pull her away from E! Kardashians, The Hill, etc) I sat with her and watched the following. Suppose to give her a Movie buff cert :P . Here's what we watched:

The Long Goodbye: Superb, she loved it. I am loving it more!
The French Connection: What can I say? She was thrilled and got disturbed towards the climax. You know why.
The French Connection II: Slower for her, but she hung on. I loved it even more (wrote a bit in the other section).
Godfather: She teared many times...err...during the "look how they massacred my boy", tears welled in my eyes too :oops:
Godfather II: Both story intrigued her. Awesome filmaking, enatta solla!
Mean Streets: Don't watch it alone. Watch it with someone and see the laugh coming. Didn't know it was that funny when I first saw it. We enjoyed it.

Still to go:
Taxi Driver
3 Days Of The Condor
Invasion of The Body Snatcher
One Flew Over...
All The President's Men
A Clockwork Orange
The Sting.

Mattapadi, she's a regular when it comes to Eastwood and Woody Allen and she saw all of their seventies save one of Woody's TV film that I haven't watched myself.

This weekend, and this will be ultimate ride and maybe the most difficult film she had ever seen:

Apocalypse Now!

Annathey, appadiey thalyoda Ever green cop movie "Dirty Harry" kamichudunga..... apuram punch dialogue "Do i feel lucky....." pesi katitunga.... :lol:

Avadi to America
5th June 2010, 12:39 AM
:lol:

By the way, did you read Easy Riders & Raging Bulls (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easy_Riders,_Raging_Bulls)? Awesome. A must read for 70s Hollywood film fans.

I commented about it here back in 2002. (http://rakeshkumar7.tripod.com/id1.html)

is n't that easy rider releasesd in 1969 and ragin bull released in 1980?