PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Scenes/Songs from THALAIVAR Rajini films #3

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8

SuraTheLeader
7th December 2010, 10:39 PM
Bro, nooru varusham happens in Vijayakumar's house is it not?

Another, adi jumpa jeyippathintha ( :lol: ) from Pandiyan

Yes but thats the full song @ the marriage reception of saranraj.
This is at the beginning of the movie where thalaivar dance to the song which is played in the player @ the hotel for which he gets terminated..... :)

Nerd
7th December 2010, 10:41 PM
Yes but thats the full song @ the marriage reception of saranraj.
This is at the beginning of the movie where thalaivar dance to the song which is played in the player @ the hotel for which he gets terminated..... :)
OK, I remember now :oops:

Plum
7th December 2010, 11:06 PM
Aadi maasa from paayum puli? And isnt it a roadaside song?

Nerd
7th December 2010, 11:37 PM
Aadi maasa from paayum puli? And isnt it a roadaside song?
Yeah Paayum Puli it is. The roadside rain song is Pothukittu oothuthadi vaanam. Aadi maasam takes place in a hotel

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=MCSSGBEP (arnd 59th minute)

omega
7th December 2010, 11:46 PM
Vachikkava unna mattum - Nallavanukku nallavan
Yeh Maina - Maaveeran
Idazhengum muthangal - Adhisaya Piravi
Unnai Azhaithathu penn - Thaai Veedu
Un mela oru kannu - Naan Maahan alla

Nerd
8th December 2010, 12:32 AM
Vachikkava unna mattum - Nallavanukku nallavan
Yeh Maina - Maaveeran
Idazhengum muthangal - Adhisaya Piravi
Unnai Azhaithathu penn - Thaai Veedu
Un mela oru kannu - Naan Maahan alla
Sun music played the highlighted songs. Good fun :-) :-) :-)

groucho070
8th December 2010, 07:15 AM
Muthu on TV (I revisited it recently, but remote hijacked by wife, onniyum panna mudiyathu...)

Some notes:

1. Songs and background score, I think it's one of ARR's best, right up there with Thiruda Thiruda for me.
2. There has never been a grand, brilliant, entrance and intro song for a hero after Oruvan Oruvan Muthalali (which was used for concert too, to great effect).
3. I dare say the film works mainly R&R factor.
4. Sarath Babu and his bird nest hair did their best to be as unconvincing as possible and wins of course.
5. I yam thinking, what if Annan did Senthil's role, and Senthil did VV's role...hmmm....characters tweaked of course.
6. Back to music, the Ambalattan theme is brilliant, right up there with John Williams' Imperial March in terms of villainism.
7. One of the most revisitable of Rajini's recent films. How the same team did the sexist bragfest Padaiyappa is a great mystery.

AudazJay
8th December 2010, 08:23 AM
4. Sarath Babu and his bird nest hair did their best to be as unconvincing as possible and wins of course.

:lol: the hairstyle doesn't annoy me as much as his spectacles do. In fact, I feel that he's been wearing the same glasses since the 80's. Seriously, I don't think they make such glasses anymore.

OTOH, heard that Jayaram was first offered the role but he refused when he heard that he has to slap Rajini in a particular scene. Wish he had done the role though. That would have been a blast!

groucho070
8th December 2010, 08:50 AM
Jeyaram?? Wow, that would have been awesome. In fact, that would have made the love triangle more interesting. Plus he could have contributed more humour. Too bad...

omega
8th December 2010, 03:25 PM
Jeyaram?? Wow, that would have been awesome. In fact, that would have made the love triangle more interesting. Plus he could have contributed more humour. Too bad...

In fact it was first offered to Aravindaswamy, which he duely rejected for not much scope. Then came Jayaram & eventually got settled with "aasthaana nanban" sarathbabu.

For some reason Muthu never works for me as a whole. Looks like a big staged drama other than some Thalaivar scenes. Biggest plus offcourse was ARR & is the best among R-R combos'. Could have been better for Uditless Kuluvaalile song....

groucho070
8th December 2010, 03:31 PM
Aravindswamy-ya? Athukku kuruvikoodutalaye meel.

Plum
8th December 2010, 05:59 PM
Aravindswamy did Rajini's role in the hindi version, groucho. Anupam Kher - he of the kuyil koodu thalai - substituted for kuruvi koodu thalaiyan

Avadi to America
8th December 2010, 07:59 PM
Aravindswamy did Rajini's role in the hindi version, groucho. Anupam Kher - he of the kuyil koodu thalai - substituted for kuruvi koodu thalaiyan

itha eppa hindila eduthaanga... I watched the dubbed hindi version long time back.... i did not know that it was remade it.... :shock:

jaiganes
8th December 2010, 08:48 PM

itha eppa hindila eduthaanga... I watched the dubbed hindi version long time back.... i did not know that it was remade it.... :shock:
priyan himself did it (he directed the original version thenmaavin kombathu). Arvind swaamy, Juhi chawla and Anupam Kher film was "Saat rang ki sapnon main". Good thing about that movie was that it was shot by K.V.Anand who had earlier done the mallu original and got his national award on debut.

groucho070
9th December 2010, 06:36 AM
Plum, Jai, I was surprised myself. So, the Hindi version was directly from Malayalam? Coz, from what I hear there was lots of changes in Tamizh version.

Plum
9th December 2010, 11:13 AM
grouch, Priyan always does almost frame-to-frame remake in Hindi. To the extent that he doesnt change location, local customs etc.

Yes, I think this was a frame by frame rework.

sarathbabuvAvadhu paravA illai - Rajinikku equal vayasAttum irundhAr. When I saw the promos of this movie, despite obvious pointers to ThenmAvin, I never guessed it - I was thinking all along that Kher is Aravindswamy's elder brother or father and it is a family melodrama :lol:

groucho070
9th December 2010, 11:26 AM
:lol: Inggernthu angga anupuna kathai ellam sariya varathu pola irukku? I remember watching the nattamai remake, not only it stunk high up in heaven, but Rajini ate them all in just few scenes....therefore my comment is still relevant to this thread :wink:

jaiganes
9th December 2010, 06:18 PM
grouch, Priyan always does almost frame-to-frame remake in Hindi. To the extent that he doesnt change location, local customs etc.

Yes, I think this was a frame by frame rework.

sarathbabuvAvadhu paravA illai - Rajinikku equal vayasAttum irundhAr. When I saw the promos of this movie, despite obvious pointers to ThenmAvin, I never guessed it - I was thinking all along that Kher is Aravindswamy's elder brother or father and it is a family melodrama :lol:
nedumudi venu played kher's role and the story is such that elder uncle and younger nephew who share a thick bond, fall in love with the same girl - so it is not funny you know. what was funny was the thing done in thamizh to such a nuanced story...

m_23_bayarea
9th December 2010, 09:56 PM
Wow, a lot of news for me about Muthu in the last one page! :clap:

ajithfederer
8th January 2011, 01:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0Z0FBU3OjI&feature=channel

'Pattukottai Ammalu - Rajni/Karate Mani. The song is not bad. Malaysia as usual is 8-)

groucho070
8th January 2011, 07:27 AM
Plum, the above for your attention.

It's baffling to know Karate Mani existed in TFI, eppadinggo eppadi???

Nerd
8th January 2011, 09:23 PM
More than 100,000 views for the video I had uploaded in youtube 3 years ago. What a lovely scene, can watch it any number of times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO8O5qInUsk

PARAMASHIVAN
18th January 2011, 03:11 PM
Saw Mullum Malaram again after a long time, Rajni was seriously awsome, After NT Only Rajni is Possible in such roles. :thumbsup:

But I have to admit you can see NT's 'inspiration' in Rajni's acting in this film!
esp the dialogues like 'padava rascal' sort of thing!

PARAMASHIVAN
18th January 2011, 03:13 PM
More than 100,000 views for the video I had uploaded in youtube 3 years ago. What a lovely scene, can watch it any number of times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO8O5qInUsk

Agreed Seriously Matured Romance :)

ajithfederer
22nd January 2011, 07:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ50uulx9Hc&feature=related

A very good song. Music is quite unique. The choreography is perfect. The cameo is funny. Mano's(??) voice is adept.

Querida
22nd January 2011, 07:34 AM
Mano's(??) voice is adept.

Yup.

PARAMASHIVAN
22nd January 2011, 08:57 PM
Mano's(??) voice is adept.

Yup.

Hi

you post in Tamil GFilm Section :shock:

PARAMASHIVAN
6th February 2011, 10:52 PM
watching Harjani for the first time, this is the 'ONLY' Rajni film, I have not watched till date :oops:

Nerd
7th February 2011, 07:26 PM
The famous few minutes of Kuselan. Ellaarum switch pOtta maadhiri onnaa thalaiyai kuniyuraanga, azharaanga etc. It was hilarious. Stuff of an amateur short film maker. P Vasu should not be directing films. Thalaivar was OK, certainly not one of his best even if you only consider the last decade. I would take the BOSS part of Sivaji or even the boring first half of Chandramukhi over this any day :oops:

Stiglitz
7th February 2011, 07:46 PM
My latest Favorite is quite Obvious.

"Who Is The Black Sheep?!?.... (finds the scientist) ..... Meeeeeehhhh!!! Meeeeehhhhhh!!!!" :lol: :thumbsup:

Stiglitz
7th February 2011, 07:48 PM
The famous few minutes of Kuselan. Ellaarum switch pOtta maadhiri onnaa thalaiyai kuniyuraanga, azharaanga etc. It was hilarious.I would take the BOSS part of Sivaji or even the boring first half of Chandramukhi over this any day :oops:

I thought the same. Thalaivar has been in several Emotionally moving scenes, but this wasn't one of them for me... :confused:

SoftSword
7th February 2011, 07:55 PM
for me it worked only when he slaps pasupathi in his house...

Plum
7th February 2011, 09:00 PM
I wanted to post the same. Much vaunted kuselan climax performance is quite ordimary. Mammotty actually made it work but then he had sreenivasan to wrok with.
Still, strictly as a comparison, very very ordinary. Disappointing, even

PARAMASHIVAN
11th February 2011, 11:18 PM
I watched Garjanai, enna padam yaa ithu, who directed this Pilim? it started off Ok, it then it was beyoond joke, but madhavi makes it up :P :lol2:

groucho070
12th February 2011, 06:11 PM
Finally caught the climax of Priya. Rajini walked up the bloody singapore flat stair in one single shot, like seven or eight floors! :shock: To think that sometimes they have to do retakes. Anyway, just realised the car chase was intercut between close up of a very determined Rajini and the extremely method acting Chinese bad guy with scenes from Bullit. Actual film. Colour maarikinee irukkum, including the cars :lol:

SuraTheLeader
12th February 2011, 06:33 PM
One of my Fav song :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdN17WHEZ0k

Nerd
21st February 2011, 08:07 PM
http://onlysuperstar.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/MV_Rajini-Homage1j.jpg

Shall we add on to this:

ஒரு தங்க ரதத்தில் பொன் மஞ்சள் நிலவு – தர்மயுத்தம்
வெத்தலையை போட்டேண்டி – பில்லா
ஒதுங்கு ஒதுங்கு – மாவீரன்
என்னோட ராசி நல்ல ராசி – மாப்பிள்ளை
மனிதன் மனிதன் – மனிதன்
சிங்கம் ஒன்று புறப்பட்டதே – அருணாச்சலம்
பெத்து எடுத்தவதான் – வேலைக்காரன்
நான் போக்கிரிக்கு போக்கிரி ராஜா – போக்கிரி ராஜா
பொத்துகிட்டு ஊத்துதடி வானம் – பாயும்புலி
----------------
Adi aadu poonkodiyE - Kaali
Ejamaan kaaladi - Ejamaan
Dhevaadhi dhevarellaam - Raja Chinna Roja
En thaayin meedhu aanai - Mr. bharath
Va vaa vasanthame - Pudhu Kavidhai
Unnai paartha neram - Adhisiya Piravi
Thenmadurai (sad) - Dharmathin Thalaivan

Plum
21st February 2011, 08:20 PM
Cant read the tamil part nerd but did you include the big daddy of malaysia songs for Rajini in that list?

Nerd
21st February 2011, 08:26 PM
Cant read the tamil part nerd but did you include the big daddy of malaysia songs for Rajini in that list?
Aasai nooru vagai? Pothuvaaga? Both are not there :oops:

Solli adippenadi - Padikkathavan
Pattukkottai Ammalu - Ranga
Pattuvanna Selaikkari - Engeyo Ketta Kural
Pethu eduthava dhaan - Velaikkaran
Othungu Othungu - Maveeran

Nerd
21st February 2011, 08:33 PM
The last song he sung for Rajini is Singam onru purappattadhE from Arunachalam. I think he has sung more songs for Rajini than any other hero..

Sarna
21st February 2011, 08:38 PM
for me it worked only when he slaps pasupathi in his house...

for me too.

SoftSword
21st February 2011, 08:44 PM
exactly nerd... we really miss him...
he has given most of the revenge, rising to the top songs to thalaivar...
especially for the energy he pumps out...

singam onru song pottu vuttu carrom velayaandaa summa coins parakkum :)

jaiganes
21st February 2011, 09:34 PM
Ezhugave padaigal ezhugave from maaveeran
is one malaysia number for Rajini that is very special.
If you add "Vaangadaa vaanga en vandikku pinnaala" it was a MV - Rajini Riot album with
"Nee Koduthadha" being the top of that pile (forgive the picturisation there with Ambica absolutely spoiling the feel)..

Shanker
22nd February 2011, 03:46 PM
I love the oonjal scene from Padaiyappa. Never fails to impress me. The scene with the college principal in Baasha and the 'ulla po' to his brother during the fight before his backstory. ALL Mottai boss scenes :P The 'saval' scene in Annamalai... "Intha naal, un calenderla kurichivachiko....". Many many more scenes.

PARAMASHIVAN
7th March 2011, 06:56 PM
I love the oonjal scene from Padaiyappa. Never fails to impress me. The scene with the college principal in Baasha and the 'ulla po' to his brother during the fight before his backstory. ALL Mottai boss scenes :P The 'saval' scene in Annamalai... "Intha naal, un calenderla kurichivachiko....". Many many more scenes.

Good Scenes Shankar

Infact for me the basha scene scores the most, awsome energy and expression, you can see the 'intense' grin and anger in his face ! Similar scenes in Enthiran is that Menancing laugh, and the way he grins before he smashes bora's head.

Only Possible by SUper* :notworthy:

PARAMASHIVAN
7th March 2011, 06:57 PM
Maveeran was a miserable movie :sigh2:

ajithfederer
9th March 2011, 06:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHr9gGQ7kA4&feature=related

A shot of adrenalin to your veins. ARR in screaming form. I've always said that Rajni looks great in traditional costumes. The last 30 some seconds where he comes down from the temple is a charismatic and pictographic feat. Paata-gaasam.

Raikkonen
9th March 2011, 06:53 AM
Telugu Sivaji scene (much better than tamil, imo)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD916uVydqI&feature=related

1st one is from premabhisekam and 3rd one from Jagadeeka veerudu athiloka sundari (no idea of ntr's song)..

:rotfl3: :bow: at superstar imitating ANR.. that was spot on and very hilarious.

groucho070
9th May 2011, 08:51 AM
Tudikkum Karanggal.

A weak film, considering Sridhar (yes, he was great once) behind it. Jai makes a poor villain for me. I prefer him in his action-hero mode than this bloated Asoganesque Bad guy

Otherwise, the movie's pretty entertaining thanks to Rajini still trying to find humour in bland script. I like a scene where the girls will trick Jai into charcoaling his own face, and it was meant for Rajini in the first place. And Rajini, who hates Jai's guts, actually tries to inform Jai of his face's condition, only to be stopped by the girls. Later he goes, "Paavam, periya manushan..." earnestly. :lol:

Music. SPB's like hybrid of MSV and IR. More MSV actually, with Sandhanam Poosum has enough birkha/sanggathi in it to make MSV proud.

Managed to watch the film full on a lazy Saturday afternoon.

Plum
9th May 2011, 10:04 AM
Hey grouch, thudikkum karangaL - seen in theatre maan. Didn't know about Sridhar then. Needless to say, quite enjoyed it then. Frankly, the weakest of Rajini masala then was much preferrable to Kamal masala. As I mentioned before, the reason was possibly Kamal's smart aleckiness which was just too good for plain masala movies. Plus dance which has always been greek and latin to me. People used to go gaga about his dance moves and dress sense as highlights of his movies - and that always put me off. I still find it difficult to appreciate a good dance performance - filmy or classical.

Rajni was simple, straightforward, and told very simple stories that appealed to kids. Sridhar was unlucky. It was pretty well put together considering the time handicap he had - it is a much better movie than many SPM nonsensical stuff.
Apart from other things, you could feel the location - the hill stationy rhythms of life. That is not something other masala movies of Rajini can claim - set as they are in lala land.
Not a great masala movie by any standards yet much more watchable in revisit than say Billa or paayum puli, which were monstrous hits

groucho070
9th May 2011, 10:38 AM
Yeah, nice location and of course, waaayy better than Billa and Paayum Puli.

What's your take on the music?

Also, I fell for Kamal's fight/dance/costume/good looks when I became hc fan thanks to TTT.

Plum
9th May 2011, 11:19 AM
Isn't mEgam mundhaanai also from the same movie. Nice, ambient lazy, elegant songs

groucho070
9th May 2011, 11:56 AM
Yes. Contains some really silly dance moves that I couldn't resist pointing out that my wife who's clearly embarassed (avangga appa-ache), went, "Not one word! Not one word!"

kid-glove
9th May 2011, 12:13 PM
Yes. Contains some really silly dance moves that I couldn't resist pointing out that my wife who's clearly embarassed (avangga appa-ache), went, "Not one word! Not one word!"

Your father-in-law is a dance choreographer?

groucho070
9th May 2011, 12:19 PM
:lol: Thilak. She calls Rajini "Appa", avlo paasam. Kamal is "mAmA". NT is tAtA. Go figure. :smile:

kid-glove
9th May 2011, 12:24 PM
:lol: Thilak. She calls Rajini "Appa", avlo paasam. Kamal is "mAmA". NT is tAtA. Go figure. :smile:

:rotfl: :rotfl2:

groucho070
9th May 2011, 12:28 PM
:noteeth: namakku theriyuthu, avanggalukku innum theriyala.

ajithfederer
9th May 2011, 12:47 PM
Clint eastwood?

groucho070
9th May 2011, 12:53 PM
"Your Talaivaa", I'd correct her, "Talaivarr", but she always omits "r". One more, Prabhu "sittappa". Engga kudumbu remba perusu.:smile:

PARAMASHIVAN
9th May 2011, 03:47 PM
Isn't mEgam mundhaanai also from the same movie. Nice, ambient lazy, elegant songs

The music was by SPB :notworthy: The best song in this Film was Santhanam poosa manchal nilavum !

Plum
9th May 2011, 04:05 PM
Dushyant thambi nallA irukkAplayA grouch?

SoftSword
9th May 2011, 04:12 PM
justu missu...
kalaignara thaatthaanu sollirundhaa sila pala kodigalaachum courierla vandhirukkum...
neengalum kai kizhiya ezhudha thevai illa...

Plum
9th May 2011, 04:56 PM
KOdi innikku varum sari. nALaikku Tihar kambi eNNanumE appo kai valikkumE?

SoftSword
9th May 2011, 05:53 PM
dhandanaikkellaam bayandhaa thappu seyya mudiyumaa boss!

groucho070
10th May 2011, 07:31 AM
Dushyant thambi nallA irukkAplayA grouch?apdi parta, enakku machan varum. :smile:

PARAMASHIVAN
6th June 2011, 03:56 PM
Just saw " Thappu Thaalangal" yesterday, this was the "Only" Rajni Film that I have not seen. What a film it was :thumbsup: Although I felt awkward about the story , they way it was excuted and splendid performance from SS :notworthy: and Saritha :clap:

The scene where SS beats the crap out of the badie with his belt, was just awesome, Only Rajni possible in such roles after NT !

Was this released before Mullum Malarum or after wards?

rsubras
6th June 2011, 04:00 PM
There was one scene in Gayathri, where the bad husband Rajini takes out a lighter (or match box dont remember), slaps the innocent wife Sridevi and in the same flow lights up the cigaratte in his mouth...... top class stylish scene........... Any youtube link for this?

SoftSword
6th June 2011, 04:09 PM
rendu padamum orae period'la dhaan release aagirukku pola...
but thappu thaalangal was b/w right?

rsubras...
its a matchbox...
watch beddarayudu scene for his stylish walk while tossing-lighting a cigar... best.

PARAMASHIVAN
6th June 2011, 04:15 PM

yes It was B/W . It had a lovely song (Thathuva padal) by SPB called 'ada enada pollatha vazhkai' !

PARAMASHIVAN
6th June 2011, 04:17 PM
There was one scene in Gayathri, where the bad husband Rajini takes out a lighter (or match box dont remember), slaps the innocent wife Sridevi and in the same flow lights up the cigaratte in his mouth...... top class stylish scene........... Any youtube link for this?

I was really shocked to know that, they made these kind of movies those days :shock: just watched it cos of Rajni!

Avadi to America
6th June 2011, 06:41 PM
rendu padamum orae period'la dhaan release aagirukku pola...

rsubras...
its a matchbox...
watch beddarayudu scene for his stylish walk while tossing-lighting a cigar... best.

Both the movies are black and white.....Gayathri story was written by Sujatha.

SoftSword
6th June 2011, 06:46 PM
Both the movies are black and white.....Gayathri story was written by Sujatha.

a2a,
paramu was asking about thappu thaalangal and mullum malarum...
and my response was for that...
neenga gayathri'nu purinjutteenga.

PARAMASHIVAN
7th June 2011, 03:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7Ca6bPQc_E&feature=player_detailpage

groucho070
8th June 2011, 09:30 AM
Raghu, what about the title song, also SPB. Glad you watched it. Ithukku poyee alattikkalamaa.....could have been a catchphrase, but never caught on....

Plum
8th June 2011, 11:32 AM
grouch, continue the discussion on Rajini and screen kids here..

groucho070
8th June 2011, 11:43 AM
Eh? What else to discuss, Plum?

His characters likes only nephews and nieces. Re: Kali, Puthiya Kavithai. Anonymous orphaned kid, Anbulla Rajinikanth (it was supposed to be Anbulla Bagyaraj, so case could be rejetted). All awarded with songs of lauv.

Loves mothers: So many, don't know where to begin with. "Recent" example, Talabathi/Mannan/Uzhaippali. All except Talabathi gets adoring song. Talabathi gets background song. Poor relationship with the Sujathas though (check my blog post on Sujatha).

Loves sister - Also many, but ones get lovely song = Dharmayuttam, Nan Sigappu Manithan. You know what happened to them. Bhairavi gets post mortem song

Bad relationship with daughters. Re: Nallavanukku Nallavan / Annamalai. Both gets post-heartache songs.

Bad bad relationship with brothers. From 6 to 60, to Padikadhavan and Dharmadurai. Also post-heartache songs.

Son and songs? Any idea? Except for your suggestion on Nan Seitha Kurumbu.

Plum
8th June 2011, 12:17 PM
Loves mothers: So many, don't know where to begin with. "Recent" example, Talabathi/Mannan/Uzhaippali. All except Talabathi gets adoring song. Talabathi gets background song. Poor relationship with the Sujathas though (check my blog post on Sujatha).

More troubled history here - pethu eduthava dhAn from Velaikkaran, a seething rant against mom. But then the Mom was KR Vijaya so no wonder he was vexed.
There is further trouble with Mom/dad in Panakkaran, too, but he chose to rant against the all-powerful God/Fate. Fair enough, too much mom/dad trouble in his filmography to restrict ranting to the one screen mom in that movie. It was, like, a collective rant for all his troubling moms/dads until then.
Sarada inspires a post-mortem en thaayin meedhu aanai. Sathyaraj, the dad, cops it rather badly as a result.

Plum
8th June 2011, 12:19 PM
Son and songs? Any idea? Except for your suggestion on Nan Seitha Kurumbu.
Sons are trouble. The great man knew this and kept off them - he got an early warning in neRRikaNN with the heartless son singing mAppiLLaikku mAman manasu at him with derision. Ever since, he swore to beget only daughters and I think he stuck to that - even in real life.

Plum
8th June 2011, 12:20 PM
Grouch, idhaiyellAm collect paNNi oru post pOttudunga indiaglitz-la - you will get more facebook requests from Rajini fans :-)

sathya_1979
8th June 2011, 12:23 PM
pethu eduthava dhAn from Velaikkaran, a seething rant against mom. But then the Mom was KR Vijaya so no wonder he was vexed.
:rotfl: :rotfl3: I remember B_K post about KRV extreme sports stuff! Top class!

groucho070
8th June 2011, 12:26 PM
Sons are trouble. The great man knew this and kept off them - he got an early warning in neRRikaNN with the heartless son singing mAppiLLaikku mAman manasu at him with derision. Ever since, he swore to beget only daughters and I think he stuck to that - even in real life.:lol: Was thinking of that too, in particular that song.

No sons elsewhere? 3M, he's not alive to see both. Dharmadurai, son's not alive to see him. Muthu, both alive but never see each other. What a tragic life, man.

rsubras
8th June 2011, 12:33 PM
:lol: Was thinking of that too, in particular that song.

No sons elsewhere? 3M, he's not alive to see both. Dharmadurai, son's not alive to see him. Muthu, both alive but never see each other. What a tragic life, man.

Strangely, Rajini preferred not to have any sons in his movies, unless the son(s) happen to be Rajinikanth himself...... :)

Cinemarasigan
8th June 2011, 01:03 PM
Strangely, Rajini preferred not to have any sons in his movies, unless the son(s) happen to be Rajinikanth himself...... :)

Peddarayudu... He acted as senior NAttAmai and Mohan babu is son of Rajinikanth.. that is a telugu film anyway..

SoftSword
8th June 2011, 03:09 PM
:rotfl: :rotfl3: I remember B_K post about KRV extreme sports stuff! Top class!

idhu enna?
link kudunga...

PARAMASHIVAN
8th June 2011, 03:40 PM
Raghu, what about the title song, also SPB. Glad you watched it. Ithukku poyee alattikkalamaa.....could have been a catchphrase, but never caught on....

Rakesh anna

Yes the titile song was good as well, :) but Just love the Nakkal Laugh SPB ji does when saying " Ithukku poyee alattikkalamaa" , only SPB possible :notworthy:

Rajni and Saritha acting was "Awesome", esp the scenes when he beats the hell out of the badie with the belt!

PARAMASHIVAN
8th June 2011, 03:43 PM

:lol: So true!

PARAMASHIVAN
8th June 2011, 09:16 PM
Rakesh bhai

I read your Blog, very well written :clap: I agree with you on every thing, except the 'Handsome' bit :) , (I think Kamal/Karthik/Raghuvaran Falls in this Aspect )

BTW, On your blog, there is a picture of Rajni Uncle as Lord Krishna, was this a Telugu Film ?? :roll:

app_engine
8th June 2011, 10:47 PM
Most biggie heroes (excl Sivaji) would have had relatively fewer opportunities on screen to have children at all (may be 10%?) because they want to dance around young girls and get married to them in the last scene for the fairy tale 'lived happily ever after' ending :wink:

So, the results will be more or less similar if one conducts analysis on others (e.g. MKT / Kamal / MGR / Vijay )as well...

Avadi to America
9th June 2011, 01:05 AM
In the movie "SIVA", thalivar would also have a baby boy, and there is a song about the birth of his baby boy.

Plum
9th June 2011, 03:20 AM
App: sivajikku excl potta neenga Kamalkum neenga excl poda vendi varum. Mahanadhi, nayagan, mumbai express(step son with Manisha being not even a respectable wife), sippikul muthu - evlo evlo? oru avasarathula kamalaiyum listla serthuttinga ignoring facts

Even vijayakanth did that movie with ambika where he has many children and pulan v with a teenage girl, sathriyan and the reln with kids is quite deeply captured on screen. Not to mention Ramana
In Rajini's case, the peculiarity is that he has troubled family history even where he has daughters like annamalai and n.nallavan
Adhai sonnA ninga duet, trees, penchant for young heroinesnu dhisai thirupparinga?

app_engine
9th June 2011, 03:33 AM
Plum,
neenga solRadhu sari thAn :-) irunthAlum, % of movies with children for most heroes may not exceed 10% of their career count :wink: (much less in the case of u.s.vAlibar)

app_engine
9th June 2011, 03:36 AM
appuRam Rajini had "non-troubled" sildren in Padayappa :wink:

groucho070
9th June 2011, 07:36 AM
Adutta Varisu on TV.

Appovum pidikkala. Ippovum pidikkala. Pidikkala pidikkala pidikkala.

But songs are great though. The tailore-made for Rajini, Aasai nooruvagai is indeed his intro in the movie. Kaviriye Kavikkuyile is fantastic. Waiting for it to be covered in the other thread.

AudazJay
9th June 2011, 08:07 AM
Adutta Varisu on TV.

But songs are great though. The tailore-made for Rajini, Aasai nooruvagai is indeed his intro in the movie. Kaviriye Kavikkuyile is fantastic. Waiting for it to be covered in the other thread.

They also had Polladhavan right before Adutha Varisu last night. Having watched both yesterday, I sincerely liked AV Rajini compared to the former. Though there's nothing much to be said about the story, Rajini to say the least, was suave & stylish in the movie. OTOH, Rajini in Polladhavan was just :roll:. And they had to make it worse by having the ever irritating Sripriya as the heroine :banghead:

groucho070
9th June 2011, 08:16 AM
Audaz, Sri Priya is taken care of and is dispatched in Flashback, so it was no issue for me. I like Rajini in Polladhavan coz lot more scope in acting, you know in the "ivar nallavara kettavara" variety. But in AV he was in autopilot. Only animated during the Aasai Nooru Vagai song. I felt Sri Devi did good job, however much she can within the bad script, if such thing existed.

AudazJay
9th June 2011, 11:24 AM
[QUOTE=groucho070;695742] I like Rajini in Polladhavan coz lot more scope in acting, you know in the "ivar nallavara kettavara" variety. /[QUOTE]

:mrgreen: Didn't think he had any scope of acting in both films, actually. I really felt he was trying too hard in Polladhavan. The romance scenes with Sripriya :banghead:, the emotional scenes whenever Baby Anju comes into the picture :fatigue: and basically every other scenes with Lakshmi - it almost felt as if he was trying to cover up the loop holes in the script by overdoing the scenes.

At least in AV, he was more relaxed and subtle. Probably he knew that no amount of acting could save the film and just didn't bother trying. Movie was unbearable needless to say, but it really felt so good to see his stylish demeanor :smokesmirk:

groucho070
9th June 2011, 11:33 AM
Polladhavan is not perfect by any means. The director was previously directing Sivaji films, so you can't expect "subtle"ness if that means what I think it means to some in this forum. Not helped by MSV's more bombastic sound (old man actually got louder as he aged, then mellowed down). There's no need to cover loop holes in script. That kinda film those days didn't have loop holes, they had caves and sink holes, etha coverup pannurathu. Admit the lauv scene with Sri Priya was annoying indeed.

One thing I don't like seeing in Rajini is being relaxed, that's where he starts to look fake. Like a shark that need to constantly move to be alive, Rajini needs to be constantly brimming with energy, moving, emoting, assisted by punch lines, or punch dialogues, etc. I hated his Chandramukhi performance (except the overpraised lakalaka scene).

Keep going audaz, healthy discussion indeed :smile:

AudazJay
9th June 2011, 12:12 PM
Polladhavan is not perfect by any means. The director was previously directing Sivaji films, so you can't expect "subtle"ness if that means what I think it means to some in this forum.

No wonder! If such a script was written for Sivaji, he would probably have filled in the gaps and holes with his royal laugh, or slow-mo walk with his stick or even by twitching his eyebrows up and down. Rajini OTOH, was just clueless about which expressions to give and end up looking goofy or worse shunning away from the camera.:(

There's no need to cover loop holes in script. That kinda film those days didn't have loop holes, they had caves and sink holes, etha coverup pannurathu.

:lol:

One thing I don't like seeing in Rajini is being relaxed, that's where he starts to look fake. Like a shark that need to constantly move to be alive, Rajini needs to be constantly brimming with energy, moving, emoting, assisted by punch lines, or punch dialogues, etc.

Aahhh...this is where I have to differ. No one can do the energetic roles like him, I agree. Then again, I've also yet to see any other actors doing the subtle and toned down roles in the stylish manner as he does. Chandramukhi was definitely not subtle, Grouch. It was merely comical- blame it on P. Vasu! :twisted: I was thinking along the lines of Naan Sivappu Manithan, the second half of Puthu Kavithai and to an extent, even portions of Thalapathi- Not much of talking, yet suave and charming. This is definitely one of those "only Rajini-possible" stuff!:smokesmirk:

groucho070
9th June 2011, 12:20 PM
Polladhavan for NT would have been awesome, but not at that time. The song, Naan Polladhavan, Rajini did his take, and NT would have gone his Navarathiri-ish Iravinil Attam, or Needhi-ish Nala mudhal kudikkamaatten sarcasm. But it would have been great. I can't argue on your take on what if NT did it. Spot on. It needs some amping up and theatrics.

Actually, the films you mentioned, nalla partenggana he is not at all relaxed. Second half of Puthu Kavithai he's brooding. Ditto portions of Thalabathi.

AV on the other hand reminds me of other lazy Rajinis like in Thai Veedu (though he was quite animated), or Payum Puli or Tangga Magan, all hack job. In fact, AV had that challenge thing going on, which also occurs in Thambikku Entha Ooru, witness the difference between performance.

I guess you are right about CM, I back you in blaming Vasu.

Polladhavan vs Adutta Varisu. Anyone else with their five cents?

groucho070
9th June 2011, 12:21 PM
Rakesh bhai

I read your Blog, very well written :clap: I agree with you on every thing, except the 'Handsome' bit :) , (I think Kamal/Karthik/Raghuvaran Falls in this Aspect )

BTW, On your blog, there is a picture of Rajni Uncle as Lord Krishna, was this a Telugu Film ?? :roll:Thanks for reading. Actually that is Indiaglitz side. Avinggalathaan ketkanum.

PARAMASHIVAN
9th June 2011, 02:54 PM
They also had Polladhavan right before Adutha Varisu last night. Having watched both yesterday, I sincerely liked AV Rajini compared to the former. Though there's nothing much to be said about the story, Rajini to say the least, was suave & stylish in the movie. OTOH, Rajini in Polladhavan was just :roll:. And they had to make it worse by having the ever irritating Sripriya as the heroine :banghead:

Dude,

Polladhavan may not have been the "best movie" , but it was certainly not bad! The train murder intro and when Lakshmi meets Rajni for the first time in house were all :clap: . The awesome song "Naan Polladhavan" by SPB was really awesome!, not to mention Rajni's style of dancing!

The "Menace" Rajni creates when Lakshmi goes to the Police Station is just creepy!

PARAMASHIVAN
9th June 2011, 03:01 PM
I liked Polladhavan Over Aduthu Varisu any day! Polladhavan had good songs by MSV like

1) Atho vaarandi vaarandi villendhi oruthan
2) NaanE endrun raaja
3) Naan Polladhavan

mgb
9th June 2011, 05:07 PM
Adutta Varisu on TV.

how can you leave out the evergreen song "pesa koodaadhu"

app_engine
9th June 2011, 08:20 PM
how can you leave out the evergreen song "pesa koodaadhu"

songellAm evergreen thAn, but screenla silukku :oops:

PARAMASHIVAN
9th June 2011, 08:29 PM
songellAm evergreen thAn, but screenla silukku :oops:

I know, but siliku has been far worse in many movies :oops:

groucho070
10th June 2011, 06:27 AM
how can you leave out the evergreen song "pesa koodaadhu"Oh yeah, actually that's my favourite of them all. Pudichatha padam pudikaathathaala mindla slip ayiducho?

Anyway, another reason I don't like Rajini's character here. Being involved Silk for long term relationship. Come on!!! And then got screwed (again) by a friend who once played his brother in 6 to 60!!!!

AudazJay
10th June 2011, 09:18 AM
Dude,

Polladhavan may not have been the "best movie" , but it was certainly not bad! The train murder intro and when Lakshmi meets Rajni for the first time in house were all :clap: . The awesome song "Naan Polladhavan" by SPB was really awesome!, not to mention Rajni's style of dancing!

The "Menace" Rajni creates when Lakshmi goes to the Police Station is just creepy!

Paramu, I never said anything about Polladhavan being a bad film or that it was worse than AV or anything to that extent. Story wise, I can't say much for both the films-Polladhavan was cliched while AV was just stupid. Nevertheless, I just happen to enjoy watching Rajini in AV rather than in Polladhavan...felt he was more stylish and suave in the former than the latter. :smokesmirk:

AudazJay
10th June 2011, 09:19 AM
I liked Polladhavan Over Aduthu Varisu any day! Polladhavan had good songs by MSV like

1) Atho vaarandi vaarandi villendhi oruthan
2) NaanE endrun raaja
3) Naan Polladhavan

Honestly, except Naan polladhavan, I can't remember much about the rest of the songs.

groucho070
10th June 2011, 09:31 AM
Audaz, unless you are into MSV, not sure you'd like it. Good songs those, but can't beat AV (nothing against MSV, he has his own awesome track record).

AudazJay
10th June 2011, 10:35 AM
Audaz, unless you are into MSV, not sure you'd like it. Good songs those, but can't beat AV (nothing against MSV, he has his own awesome track record).

I like MSV, Grouch :-D I wouldn't call myself a fan really. But there were many a times I've heard and enjoyed his songs even without knowing that he was the original composer. Kamban Yemaandhan and Ilakkanam Maruthoo still remain as my favorites :thumbsup:

Nevertheless, Polladhavan songs didn't really stick to my mind, although I only watched the film 2 days back :roll:

KV
10th June 2011, 10:53 AM
To me, Naan polladhavan is the most kickass title track of all Rajini movies (can't recall the movie, don't know if this is an intro song). SPB, MSV :bow:
Awesome lyrics as well... yaar'nga? Kannadasan?

groucho070
10th June 2011, 11:01 AM
Kannadhasan. Not an intro song. It appears halfway, triumphant Rajini (blocked Lakshmi from going to police) sings with a bottle. I find Kannadhasan a lot more suitable writer for Rajini, they are spiritually alike. Raman Andalum, Naattukulla enakkoru oor undu speaks for both of them.

KV
10th June 2011, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the info grouch. Kannadhasan is another case of, what I refer to as, an elevated soul in an escalated state of mind.

PARAMASHIVAN
10th June 2011, 03:22 PM
Honestly, except Naan polladhavan, I can't remember much about the rest of the songs.

Audaz

here you go,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUXMfwj-bpM&feature=player_detailpageListen to the bit wher SPB sings ammmadi :notworthy:

PARAMASHIVAN
10th June 2011, 03:23 PM
To me, Naan polladhavan is the most kickass title track of all Rajini movies (can't recall the movie, don't know if this is an intro song). SPB, MSV :bow:
Awesome lyrics as well... yaar'nga? Kannadasan?

KV

This was not an Intro song for Rajni :)

PARAMASHIVAN
10th June 2011, 03:25 PM
I find Kannadhasan a lot more suitable writer for Rajini, they are spiritually alike. Raman Andalum, Naattukulla enakkoru oor undu speaks for both of them.

Indeed Kavi Arasu's Philosophy like songs are unbeatable :clap:

PARAMASHIVAN
10th June 2011, 03:27 PM
wow amazing stuff .SS + SPB +MSV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXgEYcouiGY&feature=player_detailpage

Nerd
10th June 2011, 05:28 PM
Naan pollathavan's tune is awesome, singing is superb (particularly like the eerie hum by SPB to start the song) but the arrangements, with due respects to MSV are Shankar-Ganesh level. I hardly listen to it :oops:

PARAMASHIVAN
10th June 2011, 05:29 PM
Naan pollathavan's tune is awesome, singing is superb (particularly like the eerie hum by SPB to start the song) but the arrangements, with due respects to MSV are Shankar-Ganesh level. I hardly listen to it :oops:

Eh What is Wrong with SG ?? :huh:

app_engine
10th June 2011, 09:28 PM
'adhO vArANdi vArANdi villEndhi oruththan' is among my all-time-MSV favourites.

Please give a calm listen to this song before tossing :-)

(nAn pollAthavan picks up after the irritating first two lines with the "dun-jidukku-dum" sound. From the time 'en nenjaththil' starts, it's awesome! However, inferior compared to the mesmerizing SPB-VJ number IMO)

Plum
10th June 2011, 09:49 PM
It was unfortunately the period of MSV's reluctant foray into synthetic sounds. Tishkyooon, tushkyaaan were quite common in a whole set of otherwise killer tunes - mandhira punnagai, indha vanji magal oru oodhappoo, naan thaayumaanavan etc

HonestRaj
12th June 2011, 08:37 PM
It was unfortunately the period of MSV's reluctant foray into synthetic sounds. Tishkyooon, tushkyaaan were quite common in a whole set of otherwise killer tunes - mandhira punnagai, indha vanji magal oru oodhappoo, naan thaayumaanavan etc

PLum.. neenga sangamam Vijayakumar.. naanga ellam sangamam manivannan :lol2:

-----------

"nan pollathavan" was my college time fav song.. (rombha vayasanavannu nenachukkadheenga.. early 2000's than).. I started listening to songs only then.. before that songs are meant for switching between channels.. once I started listening songs (esp. for the lyrics) I started liking more of Ilayaraaja..
& liked more of Rajini's mass / fast songs.. (but later i started liking melodies)

those were the times we had SCV channel (trial run of Sun Music).. they telecast Rajini - Kamal combo.. alternately.. my pick were

My name is billa
nan pollathavan
vechukkava
senorita
thottathile paathi katti
raajavukku raaja nan da

even I listened more of
subbanna sonnarunna & varey vaa raja (from Thee)

even i remembered the sequence they play some of these songs..

in between these I liked the melodies

vellai pura onru (they play the sad version)
vaa vaa vasanthame :bow:

then at home, we don't have any tape recorder & audio casette collection <i'm the first one from my family who is interested in watching films).. my only source for multiple listening is SCV.. Once i got my personal computer almost 8 yrs back.. i collected these songs & the rare ones like Thee & few more I downloaded from Rajinifans.com

Shanker
12th June 2011, 09:43 PM
I need help. I was under the impression the phrase "Nanbanda" originated from Thalapathy. Thalapathy was shown here in Singapore tonight but I couldn't find it. When is it exactly? A YouTube link would be perfect :) Thank you!

Plum
12th June 2011, 11:51 PM
Honestu, andha sangamam pathi sonnengaLE adhukku enna arththam? KettadhA irundha moonjiya viraippA vechukittu ingE nalladhA mAththi sollidunga - uNmaiya PM-la anuppinA pOdhum. nalladhA irundhA ANitharamA ingEyE sollidunga :)

AudazJay
13th June 2011, 06:46 AM
I need help. I was under the impression the phrase "Nanbanda" originated from Thalapathy. Thalapathy was shown here in Singapore tonight but I couldn't find it. When is it exactly? A YouTube link would be perfect :) Thank you!

Actually, I think it was "Yeanna nee yen nanban" (which comes during the pre-climax scene between Mammothy and Rajini) instead of just "Nanbanda". I could be wrong here though.

PARAMASHIVAN
13th June 2011, 03:33 PM
'adhO vArANdi vArANdi villEndhi oruththan' is among my all-time-MSV favourites.

Please give a calm listen to this song before tossing :-)

That is what I have been trying to tell :(

HonestRaj
13th June 2011, 10:14 PM
Honestu, andha sangamam pathi sonnengaLE adhukku enna arththam? KettadhA irundha moonjiya viraippA vechukittu ingE nalladhA mAththi sollidunga - uNmaiya PM-la anuppinA pOdhum. nalladhA irundhA ANitharamA ingEyE sollidunga :)

:notthatway: u r a musical..
nan ellam summa kaaththu vaakkula paattu ketkura aaLu'nu sonnen..

PARAMASHIVAN
21st June 2011, 05:45 PM
Folks

Who was the Heroine in Karjanai ??? Was it Madhavi ?

PARAMASHIVAN
21st June 2011, 05:55 PM
:lol: Only Rajni Possible, check out 0:52 Secs of the Video (The T- Shirt this girl is wearing) :shock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3gHdoyWzn4&feature=player_embedded

PARAMASHIVAN
13th July 2011, 06:43 PM
Has any one seen the movie called "Chella pillai" ??? It feels like dubbed movie :roll: Tamil version of Uttar Dakshin ???

Nerd
13th September 2011, 07:09 AM
Anbulla Rajinikanth after so many years in Mega TV (duffers play the same freakin ad five hundred thousand times) of all channels. Thalaivar was excellent as the respectable Rajini uncle. Like they say, fit to a T. Super suave. There's even the cigarette style :smokesmile: Most of non-Rajini scenes were blade but were saved by IR's wonderful BGM (strings mainly). First time noticing the BGM, was too young to notice it first time around. If not for Mega, would not have watched the film in DVD which I ve been owning for quite sometime now.

Nerd
13th September 2011, 07:12 AM
Btw Grouch, :rotfl3: NVV review

Fellow thalaivar fans, dont miss - http://grouchydays.blogspot.com/2011/09/retroreview-naan-vazhavaipen.html

groucho070
13th September 2011, 07:16 AM
Thanks Nerd. One of Anbulla Rajinikanth songs covered here (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=738792&viewfull=1#post738792)

You said, "Thalaivar was excellent as the respectable Rajini uncle". Did you mean he was just playing a role? Like Kuselan. He actually was never himself, it's another acting gig for him. Maybe he was, a bit, in Agni Satchi.

groucho070
23rd September 2011, 08:57 AM
Okay guys, Bhairavi review here (http://grouchydays.blogspot.com/2011/09/retroreview-bhairavi-1978.html)or click my signature.

sathya_1979
23rd September 2011, 09:34 AM
chris chen :rotfl: Osum! 11 PM and am laughing out aloud, alone at home :bow: sad part is - I could not explain the reason for my laughter to my room-mate, who is pestering me with "edhukku ippadi sirikkara?"

groucho070
23rd September 2011, 10:18 AM
Thanks for reading, Sathya. Good fun second half.

sathya_1979
23rd September 2011, 10:37 AM
alone at home and room mate? I erred. I meant - reading this alone!

Avadi to America
23rd September 2011, 06:42 PM
"My name is Michael de Souza. I am a true Chris Chen"
Appaya.... thalivarukum chinese/japnes connection irunthu irruku....

Sarna
8th October 2011, 07:50 PM
galaatte samsaara - vishnuvardhan, thalaivar , dhwarakish and manjula.... nice entertainer... just watch for thalaivar if u understand kannada :D

Sarna
8th October 2011, 07:53 PM
small and not so good scene from galaatte samsaara (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gRzpdu1Cms)

Nerd
8th October 2011, 08:52 PM
The BOSS on Klgr TV (Chose this over CM on Sun, obviously). 2nd half still works. Perhaps the best Rajini mass film since Batsha in my books. The professional ethics scene, bajji scene (nee poRumaiyaa vaa, aanaa naa(n) paththu nimishathula ulla pOyiduvEn), the office room cult esra esra, those 40 minutes are simply brilliant. ThalaivarOda voice modulation, delivery, suaveness... Adhukkappuram death, come back ellam konjam bore dhaan. (Yeah seen the film more than 10 times now)

groucho070
10th October 2011, 09:11 AM
Siva

Long time ago I mentioned that nothing happens to Radha Ravi at the end. I was wrong, he and the main bad guy, Vinu Chakravarthy are both thrown off a bridge into the river. That's it! I mean, that's all? What happened to the usual ending of bad guys:
1. arrested by police
2. realises his/their mistake and apologise
3. killed by hero(es).
4. forced to marry sister(s)
5. kills himself after option 2 or maybe 4.

It may be decades after, but am terribly disappointed with this film that started off well. Definitely not as good as Amitji-s original, but Rajini was funnier.

sathya_1979
10th October 2011, 09:28 AM
Grouch, nesst retro review eppO?

Sarna
10th October 2011, 11:15 AM
The BOSS on Klgr TV (Chose this over CM on Sun, obviously).

I was shuffling between both, ended up watching adhula konjam, idhula konjam :(

In CM, i like the introduction slow-motion stylished fight scene... then the climax vettaiyan. Never got tired of watching this two portion.

groucho070
10th October 2011, 12:36 PM
Grouch, nesst retro review eppO?Good to know RetroReview got a follower. Waiting to watch something that's both fun, and can be made fun off in good natured way. pAarpOm.

raajarasigan
10th October 2011, 06:12 PM
Siva

Long time ago I mentioned that nothing happens to Radha Ravi at the end. I was wrong, he and the main bad guy, Vinu Chakravarthy are both thrown off a bridge into the river. That's it! I mean, that's all? What happened to the usual ending of bad guys:
1. arrested by police
2. realises his/their mistake and apologise
3. killed by hero(es).
4. forced to marry sister(s)
5. kills himself after option 2 or maybe 4.

It may be decades after, but am terribly disappointed with this film that started off well. Definitely not as good as Amitji-s original, but Rajini was funnier.I like the theme music.. in my childhood, I was trying to get a similar clock :)

Plum
10th October 2011, 09:43 PM
grouch, for once, I am stumped for the original. Is Siva a remake?

sathya_1979
10th October 2011, 10:41 PM
The film is a remake of the 1977 film Khoon Pasina (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khoon_Pasina), which starred Amitabh Bachchan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amitabh_Bachchan). - As per Wiki

HonestRaj
10th October 2011, 11:21 PM
I saw a couple of scenes from "Trishul" <zee cinema>.. how far it was remade as "Mr Bhaarath".. I could not relate a scene by scene remake..

Plum
11th October 2011, 09:08 AM
Scene by scene remake illai - idhu romba obvious. eppO SV Sekar playing sasi kappoor's role-O appOvE nInga sudhArichurukkaNum.

groucho070
11th October 2011, 10:07 AM
Am looking at the above poll and goshdarnit, what the heck is Guru doing there? With the popularity of Chitti, shouldn't we have a fresh poll. Recent-A vantha hubbers vote pannalAme.

HonestRaj
11th October 2011, 10:22 PM
Scene by scene remake illai - idhu romba obvious. eppO SV Sekar playing sasi kappoor's role-O appOvE nInga sudhArichurukkaNum.

just 10 mins than parthen..
contract enakku varanumnu oru thaatha solvaru .. Amitabh.. adhu nadakkadhunnu savaal viduvaru
adutha scene.. heroine kitta Amitabh amma photo kanbichu edho solvaru..
ambuttudhen..

cepark
12th October 2011, 06:32 PM
I dont know where to post this rare pics so i am posting in all the thread..(sry if posted already)....

raghavendran
15th October 2011, 08:24 AM
one of my favourite scenes from one of my fav Thalaivar movies...enna mass :bow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HGhBvnyv1I&feature=player_embedded

groucho070
17th October 2011, 01:58 PM
Neengga padikkattiyum, nAn ezhutikittE iruppEn. My signature.

P_R
7th November 2011, 12:09 PM
Caught the last hour of Robot on Gemini TV yesterday.
I tried watching some earlier parts but found it quite blade - as I did the first time.
The last hour is jaw-dropping level only. Rajini and Sankarji :clap:

I saw it from the time V2 laughs Veerappa style at Vaseegaran till the very end. Completely engaging.

Rajini shows the difference in acting so damn well, so easily!
The scene where V2 puts his gun (hand made :lol:) into Vaseegaran - dressed as V2's- mouth is one example.
Vaseegaran showing total maraNa bayam and V2 exuding sinister villainy!

And the kalangiya kaNgaL in the dismantling scene. V1: do you need any help doctor?

Mano's voice for Rajini in Telegu was not bad at all. But fell miserably short in many scenes. Most notably in "meeeh".

The climax fight is incredibly imaginative and very well executed. Very well done ! The giant formation robot casually leaning on the wall ellAm :lol:

And - nalla naaLum adhuvumA solla koodaadhu - irundhaalum solrEn: the scene where Vaseegaran gets a shave and is on the way to being made up as V2 seemed to me to be a poke at - look at my maidA maavu masks, end-song in DasA. :lol2:

Plum
7th November 2011, 01:20 PM
:lol: - calling SKV(sole proprietor - all world Dasavatharam reputation protection sangh)...

P_R
7th November 2011, 01:47 PM
nAn evvaLO matter ezhudhirukkEn, last layana oNdi padikkireeyaLE?

Ball, shoot out missiles that reassemble, tornado type thingie that flings the helicofter, snake with Rajini as the tongue, python type swallow, drill, giant robot - each formation bettering the previous. Highly impressive!

Plum
7th November 2011, 03:12 PM
Auto-Ignore mode on anything that translates as praise for Shankar ;-). Honestly, I didn't pay enough attention to the graphics mayajaal. Couldn't engage enough with the material for that. The problem is, as you observed the other day "enakku edhu pidkkalaiyO nAn thoongiduvEn"

Plum
7th November 2011, 03:15 PM
Much to the dejection of a friend who sponsored a Birthday treat by taking 12 of us to "World is not Enough" in London at the turn of the century, I dozed off less than halfway through and woke up only in the climax. He didn't speak to me for 2 months :lol:

kid-glove
7th November 2011, 04:06 PM
FR,
We discussed during the time of release. Good to know that it hasn't waned.
And to top it all, none of it happened by accident. It was all done on storyboard and 2-D animation..

HonestRaj
7th November 2011, 06:07 PM
:lol: - calling SKV(sole proprietor - all world Dasavatharam reputation protection sangh)...

:lol:

Nerd
7th November 2011, 10:32 PM
Incidentally, was at a friend's daughter bday party last night. 99% NI kroop. They were talking about Robot and each and everyone of them was very appreciative of the film. Most of them said Ra. One is not even 10% of Robot. And talks of 'Rajnikant did so very well, SRK looked completely clueless and was so annoying'. I could not stop blushing and they caught me blushing too :oops:

tamizharasan
7th November 2011, 10:48 PM
Incidentally, was at a friend's daughter bday party last night. 99% NI kroop. They were talking about Robot and each and everyone of them was very appreciative of the film. Most of them said Ra. One is not even 10% of Robot. And talks of 'Rajnikant did so very well, SRK looked completely clueless and was so annoying'. I could not stop blushing and they caught me blushing too :oops:
The funny thing is, SRK was very critical about Robot when shankar offered as if he was going to make Avatar?

sathya_1979
7th November 2011, 11:03 PM
I guess Saarug tried Avatar and ended up making a sEdhaar!

groucho070
26th March 2012, 10:50 AM
Panakkaran.

An incredibly stupid movie made watchable by Rajini alone. And yes the music too (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-%26%232986%3B%26%233009%3B%26%232980%3B%26%233009% 3B%26%232986%3B%26%233021%3B%26%232986%3B%26%23300 9%3B%26%232980%3B%26%233009%3B-%26%232949%3B%26%232992%3B%26%233021%3B%26%232980% 3B%26%233021%3B%26%232980%3B%26%232969%3B%26%23302 1%3B%26%232965%3B%26%232995%3B%26%233021%3B-songs/page352).

And there was this really stupid scene where Vijaya Kumar asked him about his dad, and he bust into "amma vanthu sonnalthAn appAvin pEr theriyuthadA..." suddenly all so emotional. That's acting. I gave a long rant to my wife about how some wants to be next superstar and can't even move the bloody face muscle :argh: She had to sAnthapaduttufy me, all on the account of reacting to a P. Vasu movie.

Yes Plum, you can complain, bookmark this page.

Plum
26th March 2012, 11:31 AM
No no grouch you have done me a favour. Now my discussion is relevant, you are right, wannabe superstars like Vijay cannot even move their mouth, let alone any other facial muscle. And we are supposed to take it that he is the new superstar :lol:. Rajini in a crappy Vasu movie still gives throwaway moments - now that's an actor-star. Wannabes and their fans can go suck lemon.

hamid
26th March 2012, 12:01 PM
Incidentally, was at a friend's daughter bday party last night. 99% NI kroop. They were talking about Robot and each and everyone of them was very appreciative of the film. Most of them said Ra. One is not even 10% of Robot. And talks of 'Rajnikant did so very well, SRK looked completely clueless and was so annoying'.

:thumbsup:

I could not stop blushing and they caught me blushing too :oops: :lol:

PR's writeup in Robot.. :clap: now I want to see those scenes again.. Has the Enthiran DVD released?

hamid
26th March 2012, 12:02 PM
Grouch.. keep them comin.. :D

Plum. aarambichittingala? for a change I wont object this :wink: go on....

lydayaxobia493
26th March 2012, 12:08 PM
When am thinking fav. song of thalaivar is none other than "Sundari kaNNAl oru sethi" ..
Nobody can beat tis song... such a wonderful musiq nd lyrics..:smokesmirk:

Fav. scene...there is lot.. frm thalabathi, baasha, mullum malaraum.. list going on..:)

btw, did rajini act any -ve roles against hero other than kamal ??...:roll:

Plum
26th March 2012, 12:19 PM
Did Rajini act -ve role other than against Kamal? Oh yes, for a good part of his initial days as hero, he was in touch with his grey side until he was hyper-cleaned and domesticated into a super-do-gooder-innocent-wronged-man-triumphing-in-the-end. He had huge negative shades in nerrikann, pretty much terrorising every female in sight. It is a miracle Chakravarthy felt oh-so-holy about d-i-l Menaka to not consider her as another conquest - perhaps Menaka being plain jane Menaka had something to do with it. There were negative shades in Polladhavan. Being forced to woo a past-the-prime Sripriya(I am oblivous to the irony of saying that about Rajini who wooed ishwarya 3 decades later) and being offerred Lakshmi as the vengala kinnam is a good excuse for angst and anti-social tendency, though. Atleast, the child wasn't baby shalini which explains his reformation towards the end of the movie. Then there is Bhairavi where, as Grouch explained, Rajini played real-life and reel-life villain to a poor little lamb which ended up in his dinner plate.I believe there are movies with sivakumar as hero, which is reason enough for him to become the villain in those movies.

groucho070
26th March 2012, 12:28 PM
My favourite scenes in Panakkaran:

The first scene of Rajini of course, after begging and pleading the manager not to fire him, he suddenly turns arrogant and "pOda!" :lol:

Rajini and Ullukulle Chakravarthi....almost up there with his performance for Oora terinjikittEn. Credit to P. Vasu, great timing to the line "echil ilai" to the part where the bloke throws the used banana leaf.

Rajini and "avangga eppadi adichangganu kAttatummA?" Juvenile yet he made it fun.

Frustrated ThyAgu "ChEri Vazhga!!!!" :lol:

And the fiery line that opens Shathiyapriya's eye. Very good line, and the way he delivers it.

As I said, idiotic movie, but look at him. That what makes him a superstar. Ippo pesurangga parungga ivanOda comic timing-Am, avanoda body language-Am, stupidofthenansens

groucho070
26th March 2012, 12:30 PM
I believe there are movies with sivakumar as hero, which is reason enough for him to become the villain in those movies.:rotfl: Oh man....

Did I mention that I cried as small kid watching close-up of Rajini in Mundru Mudichu? Rajini should take the credit of cool Villain, way before Sathyaraj.

Plum
26th March 2012, 12:56 PM
Plum. aarambichittingala? for a change I wont object this ? go on.... Nandri for the encouragement ;-). I have strong opinions on how while from MGR-Rajini-wannabes is viewed as mass hero continuum, alone among these folks, Rajini can actually act. Just that he chose to employ his talents for lesser deeds. Unlike other folk who aspire to be him, and indeed, his predecessor who is quoted as his superior.

lydayaxobia493
26th March 2012, 01:03 PM
thx. plum.. ungalukku old movies na romba athuppadi pola..

The best pair for thalaivar is Radhika..

Nallavanukku nallavan is ever green decent movie frm thalaivar & SPM combo...

"Chittukku chella chittukku oru siragu mulaithathu"...:2thumbsup:
While singing tis song, thalaivar face reaction is amazing..:clap:
I cn bet thalaivar cn do differnt roles (lik Enthiran) other than masala movies..bt fans othukka maattangale..:twisted:

Best acting films frm thalaivar so far..

1. Thalapathy.. (best scence-While rajini,srividya&jai shankar r praying in temple, train run in some far..tat moment, srividya nd thalaivar saw train..nd both r crying after seeing train.. tat time,thalivar reaction is superrrrrrrrrb :bow:..i cn bet tat scene is one of the best scene frm Mani movies)..
2. Baasha...
3. Nallavanukku nallavan...(Thalaivar won filmfare award for best actor)
4. 6 to 60 tak..(thalaivar acting pathi Ithai vida vera padam solla mudiyathu..) :bow:
5. Mannan..
6. Padayappa
7. Priya
8. Mullum malarum
and go on............

Plum
26th March 2012, 01:10 PM
Rockstar - try checking out older movies of rajini esp 70s. The man chews up scenery like a pregnant cow famished for days. The movies you mention but use his talent only to surface level, except Mullum Malarum, which is made for his persona. You can't figure out if Kaali made Rajinikanth happen or Rajinikanth made Kaali happen.

hamid
26th March 2012, 01:11 PM
Nandri for the encouragement ;-). I have strong opinions on how while from MGR-Rajini-wannabes is viewed as mass hero continuum, alone among these folks, Rajini can actually act. Just that he chose to employ his talents for lesser deeds. Unlike other folk who aspire to be him, and indeed, his predecessor who is quoted as his superior.

well said Plum. [But these general statements are prone to get responses such as they can also act.. If you explain in your own way by comparing few scenes from the said actors movies and Rajini's then there wont be any response countering that :D ......Yes.. I want you, Grouch and PR to write more about Rajini and his acting in various movies.. lovely to read those..]

enavo Rajini summa paranthu paranthu adichathala mattume super star aakittarnu ninachikittu imitate panraanga. Though he acted in most Amitabh remakes he has created his own style.. and exhibited various sort of emotions in his earlier films..and as Grouch righty pointed out, even in mass movies, mokka movies he tried his best to do justice to the characters and didnt take things casually. His acting, impeccable comic sense, screen presence,sincereity along with his humbleness are those which made him the superstar.. Hope the wannabes understand that a bit and try to be follow a few of those at least.

hamid
26th March 2012, 01:20 PM
thx. plum.. ungalukku old movies na romba athuppadi pola..

The best pair for thalaivar is Radhika..

Nallavanukku nallavan is ever green decent movie frm thalaivar & SPM combo...

"Chittukku chella chittukku oru siragu mulaithathu"...:2thumbsup:
While singing tis song, thalaivar face reaction is amazing..:clap:
I cn bet thalaivar cn do differnt roles (lik Enthiran) other than masala movies..bt fans othukka maattangale..:twisted:

Best acting films frm thalaivar so far..

1. Thalapathy.. (best scence-While rajini,srividya&jai shankar r praying in temple, train run in some far..tat moment, srividya nd thalaivar saw train..nd both r crying after seeing train.. tat time,thalivar reaction is superrrrrrrrrb :bow:..i cn bet tat scene is one of the best scene frm Mani movies)..
2. Baasha...
3. Nallavanukku nallavan...(Thalaivar won filmfare award for best actor)
4. 6 to 60 tak..(thalaivar acting pathi Ithai vida vera padam solla mudiyathu..) :bow:
5. Mannan..
6. Padayappa
7. Priya
8. Mullum malarum
and go on............

as Plum said.. watch his earler movies.. you can see all sort of Rajini in those.. villan[AvarkaL, 16 vayathinile, and many many more], -ve shades [Netri Kann, Pollathavan etc], angry man[Mullum Malarum, late 80s], responsible person[6 to 60, etc], Lover[Johnny, (Vellai pura onru song:oops:, with Sridevi and senthaamarai as her father- Padam per maranthu pochu).. ]Comedy [Thillu Mullu, Thambikku entha ooru, etc], religious [ Sri Raghavendra] etc etc.. Style [ Moondru Mukam, Pokkiri Raja] ..the list just goes on.. any movie of him in his earlier days you will udnerstand more of Rajini the actor....the movies you have listed are of Rajini the Star except Mullum Malarum

lydayaxobia493
26th March 2012, 01:30 PM
Rockstar - try checking out older movies of rajini esp 70s. The man chews up scenery like a pregnant cow famished for days. The movies you mention but use his talent only to surface level, except Mullum Malarum, which is made for his persona. You can't figure out if Kaali made Rajinikanth happen or Rajinikanth made Kaali happen.

in the same way.. some movies only rajini can do..u cant substitute him to any other actor..

Ex.-

1. Thalabathy.. (I cant imagine any other actor cn do surya role)...
2. Billa.. (Do u hav option...never...)
3. 6 to 60 tak... (No substitue)
4. Thilla mullu...( Thalaivar... :smokesmirk:)
5. Bhuvana oru kelvikuri
6. Moondru mugam (if any other actor did "Alexpandian" role, it would be hilarious movie one)..

still thinking..

Tel.. Do u hav options for the above said movies..?

SoftSword
26th March 2012, 03:22 PM
who poosed eeyam for this dEksaa??
sooper ya...

as said, someone has to know what is SuperStar made of before calling someone the next.

and plum, you addressing Vijay here, is quite understandable as he is widely spoken to be chasing the next SuperStar title...
that sounds like a fact and any fan would understand that...

Plum
26th March 2012, 05:15 PM
Mhmm softie - ipdi ellaam rationalise paNNa koodAdhu :). But I am glad all the whining I did has put some check to the opposition to my posts. It was always a win-win for me. Thanks to this forum for teaching the power of whining :thumbsup:

PARAMASHIVAN
26th March 2012, 05:29 PM
Hmm After a long time this thread is active. Every one seem to have forgotten the movie "engO keata Kural" , Excellent acting by Rajni esp in the Pot belly and wonky teeth get up ! But some how this film has been forgotten by many!

IIRC This movie had both Radha and Ambika in the lead

Nerd
9th April 2012, 06:24 PM
Dharmaththin Thalaivan on Raj. Couple of not-so-often quoted Rajini lines:

After that hilarious vEshtiless dog chase, comes back home, wears the vEshti. And while going out- "ippO andha naai epdi varudhunnu paakkalaam" :lol:

veLLaippuRA drawing scene. Bird in his stretched arm. Says, "ayyO", Suhasini goes "ammA! enna aachu?". "Ennadhu ammaavaa", lifts the arm a little, trying to look at the bird's bottom - "ammavaa? onnum puriyalai" :lol:

So typical of the Rajini of that time. They don't make scenes like this for him anymore :-(

And Prabu was superb too. Excellent chemistry. And as always, annan VKR :bow:

PARAMASHIVAN
10th April 2012, 04:29 PM
VKR :bow:

I find his comedy extremley irritating.

hamid
10th April 2012, 04:36 PM
Dharmaththin Thalaivan on Raj. Couple of not-so-often quoted Rajini lines:

After that hilarious vEshtiless dog chase, comes back home, wears the vEshti. And while going out- "ippO andha naai epdi varudhunnu paakkalaam" :lol:

veLLaippuRA drawing scene. Bird in his stretched arm. Says, "ayyO", Suhasini goes "ammA! enna aachu?". "Ennadhu ammaavaa", lifts the arm a little, trying to look at the bird's bottom - "ammavaa? onnum puriyalai" :lol:

So typical of the Rajini of that time. They don't make scenes like this for him anymore :-(

And Prabu was superb too. Excellent chemistry. And as always, annan VKR :bow:

yeah..the professor Rajini was lovable :) remember the naai scene very well.vaguely remember the other one.. time to revisit.... "maama.. Sudha(?) paarthuttangala?" "athaan oore paarthuchilla.. Sudha paartha enna paarkaatti enna?" :lol:

ajithfederer
10th April 2012, 04:41 PM
:shock:

Paramu please watch Aan pavam and Arangetra velai.

I find his comedy extremley irritating.

PARAMASHIVAN
10th April 2012, 04:53 PM

Paramu please watch Aan pavam and Arangetra velai.

Ok never scene these Movie, Who is in Aan Pavam ? Pandiarajan ?

Plum
10th April 2012, 05:19 PM
His non-pambu, non-slapstick humour is sometimes hilarious. Especially when he gives in to the fiery cynic inside him and gets sarcastic or contemptuous. Sadly, the bleachification as superstar has robbed us of these moments, the overthetop whoistheblacksgeep notwithstanding. One such moment is in Uzhaippali - Vivek, Rajini, Vijayakumar(rajini's akka purushan) and other friends are discussing who is going to impersonate as Vivek's father in his wedding(eventually as you know Rajini takes up the task). But as they are discussing, Vivek finally stumbles on the idea of using Rajini for the role and says "ennoda appa kedaichachu. Avar inge dhaan irukkar". Immediately, Rajini gives a dirty look to Vijayakumar :lol: - I am sure that is not in the script.

PARAMASHIVAN
10th April 2012, 05:24 PM
Annan's enconter with SS in the wedding scene was more Hilarious, esp the bit where Rajni describes about ladies like kushboo, Silks etc , and the scenes with half moustache!
:rotfl:

Plum
10th April 2012, 06:24 PM
That is precisely the muyaRchi, contrived, slapstick I was talking about that the Vasus made him do(worthy of his so called muyarchi successors). The man's talent even in such vehicles came to the fore in throwaway moments as I described

ajithfederer
10th April 2012, 06:53 PM
Yes. Pandiarajan. This is one of the best films from TFI. See it with Immediate effect.

Ok never scene these Movie, Who is in Aan Pavam ? Pandiarajan ?

PARAMASHIVAN
10th April 2012, 07:36 PM
Yes. Pandiarajan. This is one of the best films from TFI. See it with Immediate effect.

Ok will do this weekend, thanks

Nerd
11th April 2012, 06:40 AM
Adikkuthu KuLiru. Listening to this after ages. Singing is not bad actually. Enna pitch/tune-la paadirukkalaam. If it had been auto-tuned he d have done much better than the maplai. He gets the expression right. The last line - adikkuthu kuLiru esp. He is just about ready for it :oops:

P.S. Raaja's orchestration is a winner, not withstanding the synth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiFGJ2UZPno

PARAMASHIVAN
11th April 2012, 03:12 PM
I wounder how SJ manage to sing this song without bursting into laughter! as and when SS started to sing this ! :lol2:

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
11th April 2012, 03:20 PM
சும்மா அதிருதில்ல!

PARAMASHIVAN
12th April 2012, 10:24 PM
Has any1 seen Alavudinum Atrputha Villakum ?

I am just watching it for the First time, all this time I thought Rajni was just given a "guest appearance" but he has been given quite a few scenes.

1)Who is the Heroine in this movie :p
2) Was it Savithiri who came as Kamal's mum ? :confused2: Face looks like it, but she looked slim for savithiri
3) GG as Badie :rotfl:

groucho070
13th April 2012, 08:22 AM
1. Heroine later become Sarath Babu's mom in Muthu.
2. That's her. Last movie I think.
3. +1.

Rajini is totally out of synch with what's going on, all those classical acting but he'd just be himself (note how he pours drinking water, and sits).
During fight sequence between him and Kamal, both will have gladiator skirt on, only Kamal with bare legs and Rajini with some tights on. You see why Rajini never became a sex symbol :razz:

PARAMASHIVAN
13th April 2012, 02:47 PM

ah I was right! Excellent actress!

You see why Rajini never became a sex symbol :notworthy:

BTW Was it Asokan as the Bootham ? :roll:

groucho070
13th April 2012, 03:16 PM
That's him. He was born to play that one role. It's his.

By the way, the heroine's name is Jayabharathi. She also played Kamals' mother in Michael Madhanakamarajan (does Hubbers spell it out anymore these days?). So, to watch the film in retrospect, she might look too old for the then Kathal Ilavarasan. Better pairing with Rajini, if you ask me. Another thing about the movie, one of the highlights of the movie was the excessive use of Slow-motion, which was a waste considering none of them were wearing bell-bottoms :sad:

SoftSword
13th April 2012, 03:19 PM
interesting movie...
i think rajini did a similar skit play in anbulla rajinikanth... i always confuse that sequence with this movie...

btw, that heroine... oru malayaala padatthula paatthadhaa nyaabagam...

PARAMASHIVAN
13th April 2012, 03:26 PM
Better pairing with Rajini, if you ask me.

yes I thought the same! Btw was this the last movie RK and KH acted together ? IIRC The composer for this Movie was Devendran (Mallu) right ?

SoftSword
13th April 2012, 03:28 PM
yes I thought the same! Btw was the last movie RK and KH acted together ? IIRC The composer for this Movie was Devendran (Mallu) right ?

paramu, ella information'um wiki'la paatthuttu vandhu kaeppeengalaa...?

Avadi to America
13th April 2012, 08:28 PM
3. +1.

Rajini is totally out of synch with what's going on, all those classical acting but he'd just be himself (note how he pours drinking water, and sits).
During fight sequence between him and Kamal, both will have gladiator skirt on, only Kamal with bare legs and Rajini with some tights on. You see why Rajini never became a sex symbol :razz:

Ennama note panni irukinga.... kamal skirt pottu irukaru.... rajini chudithar pottukittu irukaru....

Avadi to America
13th April 2012, 08:30 PM
That's him. He was born to play that one role. It's his.

By the way, the heroine's name is Jayabharathi. She also played Kamals' mother in Michael Madhanakamarajan (does Hubbers spell it out anymore these days?). So, to watch the film in retrospect, she might look too old for the then Kathal Ilavarasan. Better pairing with Rajini, if you ask me. Another thing about the movie, one of the highlights of the movie was the excessive use of Slow-motion, which was a waste considering none of them were wearing bell-bottoms :sad:

Asokan seriousa nadichakuda comedyathaan therium....Avan chinna bootham.... naan periya bootham....

HonestRaj
13th April 2012, 08:48 PM
By the way, the heroine's name is Jayabharathi.

oh.. that malayalam Jayabharathi.. search in youtube

PARAMASHIVAN
13th April 2012, 09:12 PM
oh.. that malayalam Jayabharathi.. search in youtube

Malayala heroine beautiful thaan !, Look at Swetha Menon :p :lol2:

mgb
14th April 2012, 01:15 PM
btw, that heroine... oru malayaala padatthula paatthadhaa nyaabagam...

andha padam "rathi nirevedham"thane :p

Malayala heroine beautiful thaan !, Look at Swetha Menon :p :lol2:

swetha acted in the remake and jayabharati acted in the original rathi nirvedham movie

SoftSword
14th April 2012, 05:10 PM
ganesh'na...perellaam yarukku theriyum... saturday nite patthadha nyabagam...

Nerd
26th April 2012, 08:38 PM
Garjjanai: Interesting premise. A group of baddies (Jai Shankar, Nambiar) threaten scientists (Poornam V(!)) to come up with some sort of a slow poison and a remedy for the same. The *poison* gets injected into things like milk / chocolate. People start getting affected. Chaos, paranoia. They introduce the remedy, sell it for exorbitant amounts, get rich etc. How thalaivar nails them and avenges the death of his B-I-L who was one of the victims forms the rest of the story.

Thalaivar appears as a doctor and is uber stylish , super cool as ever. Very charismatic indeed. And funny at places too. Watch out for the scene preceeding the enna sugamaana song. Neat performance. And Madhavi is there too, another reason to watch (tolerate!) the film. And Raaja's BGM. Strings to capture the panic in the hospitals, guitars to capture thalaivar's pursuit of the villians and an excellent piece (violins/flutes/distortion guitars) in a chase sequence. For a totally unknown film like this.

PARAMASHIVAN
26th April 2012, 08:41 PM
And Madhavi is there too, another reason to watch (tolerate!) the film. allOv what's wrong with Madhavi Pon mayilal ? :x

She has killer eyes :p

app_engine
26th April 2012, 09:55 PM
For a totally unknown film like this.

I think this came with lot of publicity those days (top star, heroine, bilingual etc).

The songs were extraordinary, with rAsA mirattifying with his latest gadget collections - the uRumum synth / guitar in 'oru ooril oru maharANi' prelude, the excellent percussion sounds / synth / guitar sounds of vandhadhu nalladhu nalla idam. The relatively "softer" songs of enna sugamAna ulagam (what a terrific solo violin there) & 'varuvAi anbE' were big hits too.

I think I mentioned in the IR-SPB thread as to how my cousin used to make fun of this movie (chocolate'la visham business solleettu avan sirichchadhu still rings in my ears). The TN audience those days didn't like such "dumbing them down" :wink: and they expected muLLum malarum kinds from Rajini :-)

Nerd
26th April 2012, 10:56 PM
Paramu, naanum adhaiyE dhaanE sonnEn. Apart from Rajini, you can also watch this film for Madhavi.

App, I know the film was released in 4 languages and there was some hype surrounding it. But my point was - ippO suththamaa ellaarum maRanthu vitta oru padaththhil ivvaLavu arumaiyaana BGM pieces. Sorry I did not word it right :oops:

As for dumbing down the audience, I know for a fact that films like Paayum Puli, which had absolutely nothing going for it, were hits. On this, the premise was good, but the execution was super dumb, I agree.

Btw, not a big fan of the songs (save for enna sugamaana ulagam which is such a delight). The orchestration for the songs are superb, very trendy, out of the ordinary etc., but the songs lack the *catchiness*, to my ears at least and really poor lyrics. And none of them are heard today :-(

PARAMASHIVAN
30th April 2012, 04:53 PM
Asokan seriousa nadichakuda comedyathaan therium....Avan chinna bootham.... naan periya bootham....

very true! even in Karnan , he made me laugh with his commical expressions even though he was supposed to be serious !

groucho070
8th May 2012, 07:20 AM
Buvana Oru Kelvikuri on TV. Shitty copy.

Poor baby, I told him that there will be the song that I sing to him a lot.

And so we waited. And waited. The girl died, Rajini cried, and the story moved on...and I shouted, "Youuuu bastard!!!!" They frickin' cut the "VizhiyilE Malarnthathu" song. Whoever responsible I hope when they die they go to hell and made to listen to SA Rajkumar repeatedly!!! mothe......I had to do unplugged version for my son, later.

Otherwise, fantastic performance from Rajini, but the story seemed to be very, well, loose. Rajini's character is basically a loser, not amiable as others where he gave great performances. Didn't like the film now as I did then, but not ruling out Rajini and IR. Watchable for them.

Sivakumar? That he survived intact next to Rajini is a credit by itself.

P_R
8th May 2012, 07:34 AM
:rotfl:

Plum
8th May 2012, 09:24 AM
yOv kozhandhai munnAdi australian endearment termlAm use paNNuvIngaLA? Epdi vaLara pOgudhO andha kozhandhai.

groucho070
8th May 2012, 10:05 AM
I did it in Jai Shankar accent, payyan kandupidikkamAttAn. And by the time he grows up, words like that will be normal. Just like how "damn" or "hell" was frowned upon once (there was a wisecrack back then to call helicopter, heckicopter :lol2:). Next time I shall go full Jai Shankar and yell, "Youuu dirrtty jailbuurd".

Nerd
8th May 2012, 06:44 PM
Grouch :lol: found it to be quite OK when I saw it 2-3 years ago. Remember posting something about the film in this thread too.

Thanks to the recent discussions on iLamai oonjalaadugiRathu, saw it (in 5 sittings). Pathetic film. Even the ever dependable Raaja-BGM was horrible (guess he was at his learning phase, source material poor etc. but was awesome in the last 20 minutes, a jungle beat and strings/trumpets in the climox). And this has to be the only film in which Rajini's English dialogues > thamizh dialogues. No, I am not kidding. Vaarththaikku vaarththai ingleesu with Rajini's horrible accent. Kamal OTOH managed it quite well like he does in all of his films (appayE peter), but his performance was annoying too. There was absolutely nothing going for the film except a couple of songs. Rajini was good in a few scenes. The *spark* showed.

Hamid bro, ungkaLukku Rajini mEla enna veRuppu? Indha padam re-release-aa? Eventhough there are two girls, he does not get any of them, no duet songs, becomes a Murali-level thyaagi and heck he even becomes impotent :oops:

Avadi to America
8th May 2012, 07:39 PM
I did watch IO a year or two back. I enjoyed the way rajini speaks.... so fast and difficult to understand.... In fact, he had moderately reduced the speed of dialogue delivery offlate except Baasha.... Even kamal comments in one of the scenes he says that rajini speaks like sending a telegram message....In over all, songs are excellant.... As sridhar mentioned, rajini's charecter was extended from the original script. It's still watchable due to Rajini, kamal, raja and 70's style.

Plum
8th May 2012, 10:44 PM
iLamai Oonjalaadugiradhu - Sridhar's crime rate starts with this. inga Arambichu Thandhu VittEn ennai varaikkin Crime Rate-O Crime Rate. IO apdinnA (YUCK) Jayachitra image dhAn varudhu. I have to go to the restroom now, Excuse me.

PARAMASHIVAN
10th May 2012, 03:17 PM
Would be nice to see IU re - released! Amazing songs , BGM !

I heard that "Basha" will be re released some time this year from one of the Ayngaran owner's relative.

hamid
10th May 2012, 05:19 PM
Hamid bro, ungkaLukku Rajini mEla enna veRuppu? Indha padam re-release-aa? Eventhough there are two girls, he does not get any of them, no duet songs, becomes a Murali-level thyaagi and heck he even becomes impotent :oops:

:oops: 2-3 years munnala paarthappa nallathaane irunthuch..impotent :? ithellam padathula irukka? I forgot the whole thing except few songs and the climax.. sari..vittuduvom..

HonestRaj
28th May 2012, 09:51 PM
http://www.thehindu.com/multimedia/dynamic/01096/25_CBMP_SHIVA_1096368g.jpg

jaiganes
29th May 2012, 01:55 AM
saw 1.5 hours of Johnny in KTV a few days back.
Ample proof that Rajini is absolutely natural and graceful actor is present all over the movie.
In thamizh there are two different words for feelings - one called "unarchi" for the raw feeling driven in part
by our base human instincts and one called "unarvu" for our cultivated, refined ones - based on abstractions
like taste, patriotism, friendship and love. Rajini almost does a classroom of how to emote the "unarvu"
and convey it to the viewer subtly as well as how to express the "unarchi" - eg. raw anger and how he
pokes jabs at Deepa for her new found "annan".
For fans of modern post "Baasha" thalaivar avatar - the eye opener is to be found in the "Johnny - Archana" romance
sequences, where he struggles with himself to express his helplessness in immediately responding to Archana's proposal.
indha aalai thaan ippo castrol lubricant comedy cartoon aakki vechurukeenga neenga ellaam.

For Kamal fans - watchout for Johnny Vidyasagar meeting scene and see how closely it mirrors MMKR - Raju- Madhan
scene - just that the situation is reversed - "Aal maarattam is revealed here" while "Aal maaraattam is being planned there"
But the expressions - sudden changes in facial expressions, witty repartee - signs of a live wire performer - who is one of the
examples on how to marry attraction with talent.

Except for the uninspired staging of the "thrill" portions, the movie works in its own way..
Mahendran has taken the regular double act tripe and infused with fresh character treatment and with a beautiful touch
of irony. Johnny asks Vidyasagar to bear with him for a short period of time for the discomfort 'his' activities are going to bring,
but it is Vidyasagar's act that causes much trouble to Johnny - nicely done...
the tribal phase in the movie is forgiven for the awesome "Aasaya kaathula".
Raajava paththi sollave venaam - adhuvum naan edhu sonnaalum adhu over thaan.

SoftSword
29th May 2012, 02:02 AM
In thamizh there are two different words for feelings - one called "unarchi" for the raw feeling driven in part
by our base human instincts and one called "unarvu" for our cultivated, refined ones - based on abstractions
like taste, patriotism, friendship and love.

neenga 'likthae likthae' namakku 'love ho joy'... :clap:
theriyaadha visayam illa... irundhaalum orutthar adhukku vaarthaila vadi'vam kudukkurappodhaan namakku sync aagudhu....

nice review on johny btw...

groucho070
29th May 2012, 05:59 AM
Jai, great stuff, especially this line.
indha aalai thaan ippo castrol lubricant comedy cartoon aakki vechurukeenga neenga ellaam.
But he is also to be blamed, no?

Pudhu Kavidhai on our TV last night, just watched until the first Vellai Pura ondru, athAn recently pArthAche. (http://grouchydays.blogspot.com/2011/10/retroreview-pudhu-kavidhai.html)

hamid
29th May 2012, 10:08 AM
Jai.. Nice review.. write more... Johnny archana love is one of the best and I think Plum loves that most...
Plum, rendoru vaarthai solrathu :D

lydayaxobia493
29th May 2012, 10:31 AM
Saturday nit (26th may) i watched Thalabathi in my laptop in my free time..
ethanavi thadavai paarthalum salaikka maattenguthu...
one of the best performance frm thalaivar..

Most of the scenes r best of the decade one...
One of the scene..
While rajini, srividya & jaishankar r praying in temple, train crossed wit sound nd rajni & srividya seeing the train nd both eyes filled up wit tears...
No dialogues.. no single word.. but most emotional scene...tats mani :thumbsup:.. Whenever am seeing tis scene my eyes become wet..

"Chinna thaayaval"- One of top 3 of amma songs..:thumbsup:

jaiganes
29th May 2012, 04:49 PM
Jai.. Nice review.. write more... Johnny archana love is one of the best and I think Plum loves that most...
Plum, rendoru vaarthai solrathu :D
Johnny archana romance is fantastic stuff. At the same time vidhyasagar's doomed love is too good to be pushed behind.
The way he lets her in & gives her space, we immediately understand his character and his compulsions very clearly. If writing was 50% it is rajini the natural performer who does the rest. All while trying to cover for an uninspired performer opposite to him literally and metaphorically. Appram irukkave irukku señorita. Bliss watching casual rajini and über cool team of raja and spb at work.

mexicomeat
29th May 2012, 05:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4mVAWt4pBU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd4FtJoBkg8

PARAMASHIVAN
29th May 2012, 05:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=D_3wFWceCcY

PARAMASHIVAN
30th May 2012, 09:51 PM
Classic scene fron "Annamalai" , watch 1:09 and 2:40 !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK-i_FAcpoY&feature=player_detailpage

HonestRaj
1st June 2012, 12:52 AM
THAAI MEEDHU SATHIYAM

i) is that Ambareesh who teaches shooting for Rajini?
ii) who is that guy acted as Major's son?
iii) who is the no.2, another one who killed Rajini's parents?.. i think he comes as Meena's maman in Muthu

there is a big star cast.. pity to see Nagesh comes for just 2 scenes.. & suruli is the major (unfunny) comedian

HonestRaj
1st June 2012, 01:01 AM
all songs by TMS..

omega
1st June 2012, 04:25 AM
THAAI MEEDHU SATHIYAM

i) is that Ambareesh who teaches shooting for Rajini?
ii) who is that guy acted as Major's son?
iii) who is the no.2, another one who killed Rajini's parents?.. i think he comes as Meena's maman in Muthu

there is a big star cast.. pity to see Nagesh comes for just 2 scenes.. & suruli is the major (unfunny) comedian

i) Ambarish it is...
ii) Mohanbabu (Rajini's Andhra friend)
iii) Prabhakar (I am a bad man - Annamalai / also Meena's maaman Reddy in Muthu

omega
1st June 2012, 04:26 AM
all songs by TMS..

TMS for male
PS for female
Meesic - Sankar - Ganesh

PARAMASHIVAN
15th June 2012, 04:07 PM
Can "Thillu mullu thillu mullu" be classified as the best ever comedy classic ? Or is it Kadhalika nEramillai?

Both are from different generations, but I feel TM is slightly above KN mainly because of Rajni factor (esp his dialogue delivery and comedy timing)

Share your views.

venkkiram
15th June 2012, 04:16 PM
தில்லு முள்ளு - நகைச்சுவைக் காவியம். சந்தேகமேயில்லை. ரஜினி - தேங்காய் இணையில் ஒவ்வொரு வசனமும் சர வெடிதான்.

PARAMASHIVAN
15th June 2012, 04:19 PM
தில்லு முள்ளு - நகைச்சுவைக் காவியம். சந்தேகமேயில்லை. ரஜினி - தேங்காய் இணையில் ஒவ்வொரு வசனமும் சர வெடிதான்.

But many still regard KN as the greatest. I only liked the songs from KN, esp Viswanathan vElai vendum. But TN was laugh riot. Esp like you mentioned all the Coconut and Rajni encounters!

venkkiram
15th June 2012, 04:27 PM
But many still regard KN as the greatest. I only liked the songs from KN, esp Viswanathan vElai vendum. But TN was laugh riot. Esp like you mentioned all the Coconut and Rajni encounters!எனக்கென்னமோ அப்படித் தெரியல. மையத்தில் புரோகிதர்கள் மை.ம.காம்.ராஜனை சொல்வார்கள் என நினைக்கிறேன். ஆனால் தில்லு முள்ளு படக் காட்சிகள் என்னை தொடர்ந்து சிரிக்க வைத்தன. திரும்ப திரும்ப பார்க்கும் போதும்.

PARAMASHIVAN
15th June 2012, 04:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC7z6ziXnqU&feature=player_detailpage

PARAMASHIVAN
15th June 2012, 04:30 PM
ஆனால் தில்லு முள்ளு படக் காட்சிகள் என்னை தொடர்ந்து சிரிக்க வைத்தன. திரும்ப திரும்ப பார்க்கும் போதும்.

Enakum apadi thaan

cujoo
15th June 2012, 06:33 PM
One of the best entertainer movie from superstar ....I think I have seen this movie a lot next Thalapthi.

SoftSword
15th June 2012, 06:35 PM
:thumbsup: params...
deserving movie... neraya pesalaam...

romba naalaikku appuram dhaan visu dialogues'nu therinjadhu...
very unusual of his samsaaram minsaaram, penmani kanmani types... egappatta sarcasm...
intentionala avlo venumnu plan panni eludhinaangalaa illa apdiyae vandhuruchaanu therinjukkanum...

PARAMASHIVAN
15th June 2012, 07:14 PM
:thumbsup: params...

Thanks.

deserving movie... neraya pesalaam...

egappatta sarcasm...
intentionala avlo venumnu plan panni eludhinaangalaa illa apdiyae vandhuruchaanu therinjukkanum...

Yes , Sarcastic comedy is "Jujubi" for RK. This is the only film of Rajni , in which he does not use Body language/ Facial Expression type of comedy, except the Meesai shaving bit.

Thoroughly enjoyed this movie to the core, RK simply steals the show! Not to forget "Madhavi pOn mayilal" :p

app_engine
15th June 2012, 08:50 PM
Interestingly, my most fav scene (sirichchu sirichchu vayiRu valichchadhu) is the encounter between 'Subramanya Bharathi' & thEngAi :lol2:

app_engine
15th June 2012, 08:51 PM
I think that whole interview scene is thEngAi's career best!

V_S
15th June 2012, 08:59 PM
venkki,
Small nitpick. It is not தில்லு முள்ளு, it is தில்லு முல்லு. :smile:

SoftSword
15th June 2012, 09:01 PM
imo, andha padamdhaan thengaais career best... perfecta iruppaar andha character'ku...
enna nehrumaadhiri unakku posukku posukkunu kovam varudhu...

smaiitm
15th June 2012, 09:03 PM
TM was a great movie. But the laughter riot does not sustain itself through the full movie and becomes forced. The novelty was really Rajini and the weight of the superb Thengai. KN was of a different era. Balaiah provides the humor. Nagesh tries to. Can watch anytime.