PDA

View Full Version : Poet Laureate Kannadasan

Pages : 1 [2]

Plum
14th September 2009, 04:00 PM
But there is another theory that says TMS sings the same for both the thilagams, but its just our own perception that differentiates them...

In some show, I saw tharaimEl pirakka vaiththaan song played for a sivaji film and it really looked like sivaji singing the song!

Rakesh, I watched the tail bit only. Vaanavil :banghead:
Yes, MSV is humble and usually says the right thing. :D He also aways says that one of his eyes is Kannadhasan. (remember the pullaangkuzhal koduththa moongilgalE song... he changes the lyrics to engal kannadhasan pugazhai paadungalEn ... :bow:

MSV is a living legend - hope the govt of the day recognises him when he is alive now. :sigh2:

Unlikely from the Indian govt - he is already the forgotten man. He is not political enough to get backing from TN govts either. Dadasaheb Phalke-Avadhu kodukaNum but I dont think that will happen - during his lifetime or mine or yours.

vishnuprk
14th September 2009, 08:48 PM
கவியரசின் புகழாரத்தில் ஒரு தமிழ் பூவை கூட காணவிலையே என்ன கொடுமையடா?

NOV
11th October 2009, 06:53 PM
Just finished watching Karnan...

From: Manisekaran (@ bat-50-165.tm.net.my) on: Sun Feb 1 12:03:34 EST 1998

Kanchana,
Thank you really for touching on Gita.Taking the lead from that let me touch on "Aayiram Karangal Neetti" in Karnan. It used to be thought that Veiyitketra Nizhalundu Veesum Thendral Kaatrundu from Kalvanin Kathali laid the yardstick for translation into Tamil of foreign songs. That was a song of Umar Khayam translated by Desiga Vinayagam Pillai. Likewise in Karnan, Kannadasan has created great impression on the hearts and minds of the Veda chanters. Kannadasan amd MSV/TKR spent 15 days in Bangalore to compose the songs for Karnan. They brought the veda chanters to their hotel room and requested them to chant the vedas. After listening to the chanting, Kannadasan was highly inspired and he composed the following lines:-

"Aayiram Karangal Neeti
Anaikkindra Thaye Potri
Arul Pongum Mugathai Kaati
Irul Neekam Thanthai Potri
Thayinum parinthu Sala Sagalarai Anaippai Potri
Thazhaikkum Or Uyirkatkellam Thunakkaram Koduppai Potri
Thoorathey Neruppai Vaithu Saarathai Tharuvai Potri
Gnayire Nalamey Vazhga Nayagan Vadivey Potri
Naanilam Ulla Naal Mattum Potruvom Potri Potri"

In any translation, you may only get the form(Vadivam)but seldom the spirit(unarchi). When this song was relesed, remarks were made that Kannadasan was able to retain the original form and spirit of the Sanskrit Vedas in the Tamil translation. This piece remains one of the masterpieces of Kavgnar.

groucho070
12th October 2009, 07:49 AM
Awesome...awesome....there was quick succession of songs in the middle of the movie, did you notice. From Kannukku Kulam Ethu, to the Poiva Magale and the valaikkappu song...only time when you don't mind bombarded by one song sequences to another. Come to think of it, Karnan has one too many songs for its time and they are all gold :D

NOV
12th October 2009, 08:09 AM
I switched on when kangal engE nenjamum engE came on :bow: this was quickly followed by iravum nilavum valarattumE

man, tell me about paradise!

Thirumaran
22nd October 2009, 10:54 AM
Not sure whether it was shared here before.

Nice collections... :P

http://www.kannadhasanpathippagam.com/gallary.aspx

:cool2:

groucho070
22nd October 2009, 11:18 AM
Thanks TM. The shot during Sivaji's wedding is the most interesting. I saw the bigger version of that pix in NT's memoir, good to see all those important historical figures in one picture. :D

hamid
22nd October 2009, 11:24 AM

Superb Collection TM :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing..

the photo at Sivaji's wedding is very casual.. I think this photo is what could have been referred in NT's thread when discussing about the friendship of NT and MGR :cool:

Aalavanthan
22nd October 2009, 03:15 PM

Thanks Thiru..
This is the first time am seeing Bharathidasan in a picture. And yes, as groucho said, Sivaji's wedding snap was simple but awesome :)

NOV
10th January 2010, 07:15 PM
money should be treated like salt for food....

கடலளவு கிடைத்தாலும் மயங்க மாட்டேன்
அது கையளவே ஆனாலும் கலங்க மாட்டேன்
உள்ளத்திலே உள்ளதுதான் உலகம் கண்ணா
இதை உணர்ந்து கொண்டேன்
துன்பமெல்லாம் விலகும் கண்ணா

NOV
18th March 2010, 06:54 PM
Kannadasan from the book Kadaisipakkam. Page 21.

நம்பிக்கைக்கு மிகவும் தேவையானது மனம். அது உன்னிடமே இருக்கிறது; அதற்காக நீ ஒரு பைசாவும் செலவழிக்கத் தேவையில்லை!

mahendra raj
31st March 2010, 02:49 PM
Hi Everybody,

Nice being engaged in this forum after a lapse of more than 7 years. I was just casually going through The Hub pages and was pleasantly shocked that our Kaviarasar has 're-incarnated' again and again. When I flipped through the original posting it was dated somewhere last year and I expected that it will show the end after only a few postings. Boy, was I in for a rude shock? The thread is still active! That was when I decided to be part of the fray rightaway.

During the long absence I chanced upon so many tidbits and articles from the various magazines and books about kaviarasar, including meeting up with some veteran film personalities in Chennai, which I hopefully will share with all of you regularly.

A cursory glance at the postings also prompted me to offer my comments like the song where kaviarasar was credited instead of Vaali. The song was 'Kan poenna pokkilae kaal pogaalam' ('Panam Padaithavan' 1965) and not as mentioned. (I will go through the whole threads at my leisure and if the need arises I will surely comment or rectify certain factual errors).

For starters, I wish to correct my very own posting done years ago in this Forum as to the song 'Antha Sivagamiyin Maganinidam...' (Pattanathil Boodham 1968). Well, according to Kanmani Subbu, Kaviarasar's eldest son, the situation was not so. Subbu gave me an interesting story to the effect. An intimate friend of his father (he told me the name but I can't recall) clarified the situation with historical and actual facts.

Kaviarasar usually prides himself with his association with Kamaraj. He usually volunteers to speak on the same platform as Kamaraj does. On occasions, our kaviarasar turned up late thus upsetting the schedule of speakers. This irked Kamaraj and kaviarasar promised to reform. On one occasion kaviarasar was supposed to do the opening speech but turned up an hour later and that too he did not walk up to the dais straightaway. Instead he huirriedly took a few puffs from his cigarette by the side dais and only then cooly walked up to take his seat. A furious Kamaraj watched with dismay the whole scene and thought enough was enough. When kaviarasar went to the mike to address the crowd, Kamaraj suddenly got up and said in his usual Nadar dialect that Kannadhasan is not to speak.

Kaviarasar was stunned and so was the audience who thought Kamaraj was just joking. But Kamaraj was serious and adamant. This incident jolted him and subsequent attempts to meet Kamaraj proved futile.

As a final attempt he telephoned Kamaraj but was answered by the latter's personal assistant going by the name of Velan. When kaviarasar insisted that he wished to speak to Kamaraj, Velan told him that it was Kamaraj's instruction to take down whatever message he was trying to relay. This reply further embarassed kaviarasar and it dawned on him finally that Kamaraj really meant business.

The year was somewhere in 1967 and it was at this time 'Pattanathil Bhootham' was being produced and kaviarasar penned his misery in the opening stanza of the song. Note, the word 'Velan' incorporated in that song. Kaviarasar was trying to convey the message that he wishes to see Kamaraj only and not any Tom, Dick, Harry or VELAN!

It was widely believed that kaviarasar fell out with Kamaraj during the Congress Party crises time in 1969 which has now been proved wrong since the song was written circa 1967.

More will follow folks and until then bye for now!

R. Mahendra Raj

NOV
31st March 2010, 06:07 PM
whoa! :shock: what an amazing come back! :clap:

glad to have you back with us. Pls continue enriching us with your knowledge.

Let the fame of Kanandhasan transcend generations. :bow:

NOV
31st March 2010, 06:45 PM
அந்த சிவகாமி மகனிடம் சேதி சொல்லடி
என்னை சேரும் நாள் பார்க்கச் சொல்லடி
வேறு எவரோடும் நான் பேச வார்த்தை ஏதடி
வேலன் இல்லாமல் தோகை ஏதடி

கண்கள் சரவணன் சூடிடும் மாலை
கன்னங்கள் வேலவன் ஆடிடும் சோலை
பெண் என பூமியில் பிறந்த பின்னாலே
வேலை வணங்காமல் வேறன்ன வேலை
நெஞ்சே தெரியுமா அன்றொரு நாளிலே
நிழலாடும் விழியோடும் ஆடினானே
அன்று நிழலாடும் விழியோடு ஆடினானே
என்றும் கண்ணில் நின்றாடச் சொல்லடி

மலையின் சந்தனம் மார்பினில் சொந்தம்
மங்கையின் இதயமோ காளையென சொந்தம்
நிலையில் மாறினால் நினைவும் மாறுமோ
நெஞ்சம் நெருங்கினால் பேதங்கள் தோன்றுமோ
காலம் மாறினால் காதலும் மாறுமோ
மாறாது மாறாது இறைவன் ஆணை
என்றும் மாறாது மாறாது இறைவன் ஆணை

இந்த* சிவ*காமி மகனுடன் சேர்ந்து நில்ல*டி
இன்னும் சேரும் நாள் பார்ப*தென்ன*டி
வேறு எவரோடும் நான் பேச வார்த்தை ஏதடி
தோகை இல்லாம*ல் வேல*ன் ஏத*டி

pavalamani pragasam
31st March 2010, 06:49 PM
Sivagami magan is Kamaraj?

sivank
31st March 2010, 06:58 PM
yes pp maam. sivagami ammaiyaar was the mother of PT

app_engine
31st March 2010, 07:51 PM
[tscii:70a988d6d1]From Bhoori's blog :

http://awardakodukkaranga.wordpress.com/2010/03/23/%e0%ae%95%e0%ae%a9%e0%ae%b5%e0%af%81%e0%ae%a4%e0%a f%8d-%e0%ae%a4%e0%af%8a%e0%ae%b4%e0%ae%bf%e0%ae%b1%e0%a f%8d%e0%ae%9a%e0%ae%be%e0%ae%b2%e0%af%88-%e0%ae%a8%e0%ae%bf%e0%ae%a9%e0%af%88%e0%ae%a4/

சுஜாதா பதில்கள்

கவிஞர் கண்ணதாசனை நீங்கள் சந்தித்ததுண்டா ?
உண்டு. “நினைத்தாலே இனிக்கும்” கம்போசிங்கின்போது. சில பொதுக்கூட்ட மேடைகளில்.
எங்கேயும் எப்போதும் சங்கீதம்…… சந்தோஷம்! (கற்றதும் பெற்றதும்….)

எம்.எஸ்.வீயும், கவிஞரும் அன்யோன்யமாகப் பழகிக்கொண்டார்கள்.

“விசு, என்ன ட்யூன் ?”

“அண்ணே! சங்கீதத்தைப் பற்றிய உற்சாகமான ட்யூன்!”

“வாசி! “

விஸ்வநாதனின் விரல்கள் ஆர்மோனியத்தில் உலவ, அவருக்கே உரிய வசீகரமான குரலில், “தன் னானே தன்னானே தன்னானே தன்னானே” என்று பாடினார். உடனேயே கவிஞர், “எங்கேயும் எப்போதும் சங்கீதம், சந்தோஷம் ” என்றார். “பாடிப் பாரு !”

“கச்சிதமாக இருக்கு, கவிஞரே !”"அடுத்த அடி. ?”"தானனன்னே தானனன்னே தானனன்னே தானனன்னே…!”"தன்னானேக்கு பதில் தான னன்னேயா ? சரி கொஞ்சம் தத்துவம் பேசலாமா ?” என்று டைரக்டரைப் பார்த்தார், கவிஞர்.

பாலசந்தர், “தாராளமா! உங்களுக்குச் சொல்லணுமா கவிஞரே ! “

“ராத்திரிகள் வந்துவிட்டால் சாத்திரங்கள் ஓடிவிடும்…!” “சரியா ?”

“Perfect !”

விஸ்வநாதன் பாடப் பாட, கண்ணதாசன் அத்தனை சரணங்களையும் (“காலை ஜப்பானில் காபி…. மாலை நியூயார்க்கில் காபரே… அவங்க ஊரூரா போறாங்கல்ல ? “) உடனுக்குடன் உதிர்த்ததை பஞ்சு அருணாசலம் அழகான கையெழுத்தில் எழுதித்தர, சில மணி நேரங்களில் முழுப் பாட்டும் எழுதப்பட்டது.

இடையிடையே, கண்ணதாசனுடன் பேச்சுக் கொடுத்தேன். “எப்படி இவ்வளவு சரளமா வார்த்தைகள் வருது ? “

“தமிழ்ல ஆதார சந்தத்தைப் பிடிச்சுட்டாப் போதும்! பாருங்க, சீதைக்கு எத்தனை பெயர்கள் ? சீதா — நேர் நேர்; ஜானகி — நேர்நிரை; ஜனகா — நிரைநேர்; வைதேகி — நேர் நேர் நேர் …. இப்படி எந்தச் சந்தம் வேணுமோ அந்தச் சந்தத்துக்கு வார்த்தைகள் போட்டுக்கலாம். என்ன, எல்லா வார்த்தையும் தெரியணும்… அவ்வளவு தான். கம்ப இராமாயணத்தில் ஒவ்வொரு படலத்திலும், பாடலிலும் ஒரு புது வார்த்தை கிடைக்கும் !”

ஏறத்தாழ 30 ஆண்டுகளாகியும் அந்தப் பாடல் இன்றும்கூட எல்லா மெல்லிசை நிகழ்ச்சிகளிலும் கட்டியம் கூறும் பாடலாகப் பாடப்படுகிறது. கண்ணதாசன் அதைத்தான் செய்தார்… எங்கேயும் எப்போதும் சங்கீதத்தையும், சந்தோஷத்தையும் பரப்பினார். உலகில் தமிழர்கள் வாழும் ஏதாவது ஒரு மூலையில் பயணிக்கும் கார்களிலும், இல்லங்களிலும் அவரது ஏதாவது ஒரு வரி ஒலிக்காத நேரமே இல்லை.
[/tscii:70a988d6d1]

NOV
1st April 2010, 06:55 AM
There was a Bhoori Hubber long ago.. :think:

groucho070
1st April 2010, 08:00 AM
Ippo yen dink pannurengga. It's good to re-forward it. There are many Sujatha fans here who would take note :D

app_engine
1st April 2010, 10:34 PM
There was a Bhoori Hubber long ago.. :think:

அது அவருடைய புதுப்பெயராம். "ஒரிஜினல் பெயர் RV " என்பதாகத் தன் சிக்னேச்சரில் போட்டிருக்கிறார்...

mahendra raj
3rd April 2010, 10:13 PM
Hi folks,

I wish to apologise at the outset for whatever I am going to post hereafter may be either a repetition or duplication as I am wary of going back to check on my earlier postings. So, sorry folks.

I just saw on this page re- the wedding of Shivaji and I wish to refresh a bit. The wedding took place when nearly all the Tamil film stalwarts belonged to DMK. At that function suddenly MGR proposed that kaviarasar conduct the marriage between Shivaji and Kamala. Dutifully obliging, kaviarasar read out a felicitation and gave the sacred thaali to Shivaji to tie around the neck of Kamala. All in all the total expense of the wedding was a mere Rs500!
Abiding by DMK principles at that time, the marriage function sans pomp and splendour. Even Shivaji reminisced and sighed when his grand-daughter was married to Jayalalitha's foster son in 1995 in a grand ceremony which could have made to the Guinness Book of Records.

On the same subject, one could easily see the comradeship between the DMK party cadres at that time until Shivaji fell out of line after his 'fateful' trip to Triputhi to fulfil a religious obligation. I believe my close friend Manisekaran had touched extensively on this subject.

Kanmani Subbu narrated an interesting situation. When 'Paalum Pazhamum' (1961) was being made Director Bhimsingh invited kaviarasar to pen the songs. Bhimsingh believed that with the roaring success of 'Bhaga Pirivinai' (1960) songs earlier kaviarasar can lend a magic touch.

Upon completion of nearly all the songs there was only one song to go. As usual, Bhimsingh along with Viswanathan Ramamurthy were seated when kaviarasar was penning the songs. When the last situation song was being written (at that time it was kaviarasar himself who wrote the songs) Shivaji suddenly walked in. It seemed Shivaji was staring hard at him which made our our kaviarasar uncomfortable since they were not on talking terms and he quickly handed over the letter-pad of the last song and bolted from the scene. Shivaji grabbed the letter-pad from Viswanathan out of curiosity and burst out laughing aloud. The song was was 'Ennai Yaar Endru...' Shivaji thought kaviarasar wrote about him for staring but the truth was kaviarasar was reminiscing his old flame in this song.

On the same subject again. When 'Veerapandiyan Kattabomman' (1960) was produced Shivaji recommended SSRajendran for the role of Vellaiya Thevan for two reasons. One was that SSR belongs to the Devar caste and the other for his delivery of fast dialogues. SSR backed out and Gemini Ganesan filled the bill. Around the same time SSR commited to act in 'Sivagangai Seemai' a production of kaviarasar which was seen as a rival to the 'Kattabomman'. Shivaji openly accused SSR of being a coward to act in a word-fighting film. I remember vividly way back in 1964 that in an interview SSR spoke otherwise. He said that his relationship with kaviarasar was greater than Shivaji and that he had no qualms to act the leading role in 'Sivagangai Seemai'. Both Shivaji and SSR were not on talking terms until ' Saanthi' (1965) although they had acted in films like 'Deiva Piravi' (1960), 'Kunkumam (1963) , 'Kai Kodutha Deivam' (1964).

R. Mahendra Raj

mahendra raj
3rd April 2010, 11:51 PM
Hi folks,

What I am going to pen is supposed to be confidential and private. That was what Kanmani Subbu asked of me about 7 years back. But I feel now that there are so many worse scandals around that this is nothing and after all it happened about 35 years ago.

As you all know that Vaanathi Publications' owner Ganapathi was a close associate of kaviarasar from time immemorial. Their friendship was such that each time kaviarasar was broke there was a ready hand to help him in the form of Ganapathi. Both belonged to the nagarathaar chettiar caste and their family ties were that bonding which dates from their forefathers in Rangoon, Burma (now Myanmar). For the record I had met up with Ganapathi on two occasions within a span of 7 years and spent long hours with him just to get more stories about kaviarasar.

It was also a silent understanding and incumbent upon Vanathi Publications to publish whatever articles, novels and the like by kaviarasar. Kaviarasar, not even once, had demanded to see the accounts so as to ascertain his royalty fees. What is the neccesity? As each time he was short of funds the publisher friend was ever willing to help him out, besides Chinnappa Devar and MGR.

In 1974, when Gandhi Kannadhasan, kaviarasar's eldest son by his second wife, after graduating from a law degree wanted to venture on his own. (I have met up with this guy on 3 occasions and I will narrate later as to what type of an opportunist he is). He sought kaviarasar's advice and the answer was that he compiles whatever works by him and publish the same. (My personal opinion is that kaviarasar must have been inebriated at that time).

Around that time there was a serial in the Kumudham weekly (I can't recollect the title) and it ended with high ratings and aplomb by readers. Seizing this opportunity Gandhi took to the process of publishing it in a book form. As usual, Ganapathi compiled the serials and published well before Gandhi unaware of Gandhi's intentions.

Ghandhi, upon seeing the publication , immediately sent a solicitor's notice (himself a layer) seeking cessation of publication as well as compensation. Upon seeing the notice a distressed Ganapathi sought out our kaviarasar who happened to be in his first wife's matrimonial house. When the chettiar showed him the notice our kaviarasar's temper shot up. He called Kanmani Subbu to follow him along with Ganapathi and went to his second matrimonial home and called out for Gandhi. When Ghandi appeared he ticked him off by saying that he was a greenhorn especially on matters pertaining to old family ties. He told him off sternly that should he proceed with court action then he will see a dead Kannadhasan hanging from the beam.

After this tiff, they dropped off chettiar in his publication office in T.Nagar and proceeded to Kodambakkam. When kaviarasar broke off with Panju Arunasalam after 'Gauravam' (1973) it was Kanmani Subbu who was his assistant besides Rama Kannappan. So, it was incumbent upon Kanmani Subbu to follow his dad especially in work-related martters, or more specifically, lyrics writing.

, The studio floor was Shivaji productions making of 'Thanga Pathakkam' (1975). Distressed and depressed with the tiff with Gandhi earlier, kaviarasar went straight to MSViswanathan as to work on the situation of the song. The other songs were already written a few days ago. Visu told him of the situation and immediately kaviarasar dictated the song 'Sothani Meyl Sothanai' and Kanmani Subbu duly recorded the same. Kaviarasar passionately took out a cigarette and after lighting it and puffing was seen in a pensive and depresive mood.

According to Kanmani Subbu, traditionally after each dictation the fair copy must be given to kaviarasar to attest the same. And the music director usually will start off composing with the first stanza of the just-delivered lyrics. What happened afterward was a deviation from the norm.

MSV started composing from the line '..Idi poley pillai vantha madi thaangumaa....". It was unusual of MSV's character because he was singing out the tune aloud with tears welling up in his eyes. Shivaji Ganesan who was shooting for the film 'Pon Unjal' in the same floor quitely walked to the composing room. Being his own production, naturally he was interested in the songs.

He never spoke a word but kept looking at MSV who was lost in his composition. Shivaji was wearing a white veshti and jippa fresh from the break of shooting of 'Pon Unjal' and he took his right forefinger and placed it on his cheek whilst observing MSV . Kanmani Subbu noticed that Shivaji's eyes were also welled up with tears. This was unusual too.

The following day Kanmani Subbu caught his father in his casual mood and inquired about the unusual scene at the recording scene the previous day.

Kaviarasar opened up and told Subbu that it was a matter of co-incidences of sorts the previous day. As what was already stated above re-Gandhi (the eldest son through the second marriage) I do not wish to repat. It seems MSV had had fisti-cuffs with his son, Gopi when the former learnt that one of the family's property house was given away to an upcoming actress (Sulakshana, who later married and divorced him). Coming to Shivaji, aha, almost a similar situation.

It seems Ram Kumar, the eldest son of Shivaji was having an affair with Sri Priya's sister and the situation was blown up on that morning whereby the latter took his shot gun and there was a commotion. (It was also reported in the press at that time but on a different version).

Co-incidentally all these happened on that particular morning involving the three stalwarts and their sons. And how the song 'Sothanai Meyl Sothanai' went on to become popular till to this date was an actual reflection of true-life incidences.

Incidentally, about two years ago I read in 'Ananda Vikatan' of Ram Kumar & Sri Priya's sister's son entry to films. Their marriage was not officially recognised since he was already married.

Forget about the private incidences. What matters most was the je
wel of the song 'Sothanai....'. You can see, feel and experience the life-like similarities of Shivaji, MSV and Kannadhasan.

Will post more interesting anectodotes later on folks.

Bye for now.

R. Mahendra Raj

mahendra raj
4th April 2010, 11:07 AM
Hi folks,

Just saw in retrogession of the late Sujatha's reply re-kaviarasar.

If I am not mistaken in the same tone of the subject Sujatha who was mesmerised by kaviarasar's ability asked him of the secret. Kaviarasar just casually replied that he gains knowledge by constant reading especially on Mahabaratha and Bhagawad Gita. Once when the whole is context is grasped then writing songs for situations is nothing new. Sujatha who is a voracious reader himself was not impressed with kaviarasar's reply. He surmised that there was more to it. This piece appeared in Kumudham just before Sujatha's demise.

R. Mahendra Raj

mahendra raj
4th April 2010, 11:13 AM
Mr. Moderator,

It appears that you were with RTM and I should be only too glad to communicate with you. Perhaps we would have met since I know all your contemporaries in RTM. I am damn too curious!

My mobile contact is 012-3947446.

Thanks and with warm regards.

R. Mahendra Raj

mahendra raj
4th April 2010, 12:34 PM
Hi folks,

Whenever time permits I watch 'Endrum MSV' courtesy Jaya TV. The innocent-looking Compere is witty with prose Tamil. But was is disappointing is that many songs which had interesting background and when the Compere asks MSV appears blank. Perhaps age is catching up with him.

Now folks what I am going to write may not go too well with fans of MSV. I was initially sceptical about the whole thing but then the 'inner circle' of the veteran film stalwarts knows the whole truth. After all we are only just fans. I am not going to cite the reliable sources because it might invite controversy. Just like when you tell a die-hard MGR fan of his other side! (The info I got about the other side of MGR will constitute another subject but of course will not go well with MGR fans).

Everyone knows the association of MSV with kaviarasar which was supposed to transcend all earthly things. Such was their friendship. But would it surprise you if I say that kaviarasar was more at home with mama KV Mahadevan instead of MSV? Shocking, is'nt it? Well, I double and triple checked the facts with veterans of the industry in Chennai. It is true! I am only going to give gist of what I heard because if what is reported in detail then it will not be nice.

Although appearing innocent at most of the times MSV had a deep inferior complex, that is what the veterans told me. I was shocked and dumbfounded. It seems that kaviarasar was stealing all the limelight although MSV gives his best on his part. On many occasions, over drinks, they were seen openly fighting with each other over the popularity and credits issue. This was not reported in the press, of course.

At one time MSV got cheesed off with kaviarasar that he extensively canvassed for Vaali. Remember, it was MSV who brought Vaali into limelight? His 'clan association' with MGR also worked to his advantage.That was done to spite kaviarasar's popularity.

But what happened later made MSV to make amends with kaviarasar seeing that there was no other choice. It was an undeniable fact that MSV's tune carried the lyrics of kaviarasar's fame to a higher level. Fans were openly acclaiming kaviarasar instead of MSV's works. This did not go too well with MSV who started to develop a complexity problem.

Now folks, can you remember any situation where KV Mahadevan or his able associate, Pughezenthi speaking of their work, or for that matter with lyricists? They minded their own business. Remember, it was kaviarasar who teasingly called KVM 'mama' aafter the all time hit song 'Mama, mama, mama' (Kumudham 1961)?

When kaviarasar was hospitalised in Chicago MGR suggested to MSV to make a visit. MSV declined but then agreed to MGR's other suggestion that he sends a casette recording for speedy recovery. The cassette was not sent.

When Ilayaraja 'took over' from MSV suddenly he developed more inferior complex than before, what with kaviarasar aligning with the former. After kaviarasar's death and sensing that his popularity was on the wane MSV decided to do something. It was during Jayalalitha's rule way back in 1994 that MSV purportedly publicised that kaviarasar appeared in his dream asking that a statue of him be erected. He knew very well that in order to survive he must make use of kaviarasar's name.

Ever since MSV takes upon himself to reminisce about kaviarasar in all his shows just to evoke the sympathy of the general audience.

When I heard all these info from the veterans during my visitation to Chennai I found it too hard to digest it.

But then again, there are lingering questions. MSV being a stalwart himself never ever gave credit to his erstwhile counterpart TK Ramamurthy. Can anyone recall, please? What TK Ramamurthy told me could become another interesting topic which I will reserve for later.

Being erstwhile friends why did not MSV spend kaviarasar's pre-departure days to Chicago? Why was it that kaviarasar was fetched by Ilayaraja to Meenambakam airport? Was it fate that Ilayaraja managed to solicit the last three songs from kaviarasar for the film 'Moondram Pirai' during the car trip to the airport? (Folks, please remind me to write on this particular song situation which I still consider very, very private).

Folks, you will remember well that it was due to the insistence of MSV and the like that Ilayaraja was almost shunned by the then government of MGR. The song 'Oram po' was banned, remember? Was MSV showing his inferiority complex again?

But kaviarasar, seeing the future of Ilayaraja in his keen observation, went on to become pally with Ilayaraja and his brother Gangai Amaran. Of course, this did not go too well with MSV.

So, after kaviarasar's death it dawned upon MSV that in order to popularly survive he cannot go solo. He is forced to mention kaviarasar's name in nearly all of his show. That is the order of the divine, I suppose.

Folks, I wish to clearly state herein that I am a great fan of MSV and still admire all of his work. Whatever I learnt from the stalwarts was hard to digest at first. But then again? I leave it to you all. Of course, hubbers here may have better information than me and I will only be too happy to hear it.

As I have mentioned elsewhere in this particular posting please remind me to write about the particular incidences. Getting old, I suppose!

Thanks and with warm regards.

R. Mahendra Raj

Murali Srinivas
4th April 2010, 03:28 PM
Dear Mahendraraj,

Welcome back. Didn't see you much after the Paadalgal palavitham thread. It was nice to read the anectodes. But there is one disconnect here. It is regarding Sodhanai Mel Sodhanai.

While I have not heard about Gandhi Kannadasan - Ganapthy rift regarding Kaviyarasar's works, the other two incidents quoted in connection with that song composing is totally off the mark.

Thangappadhakkam was released on June 1st of 1974. So the composing /recording of the song must have been in late 1973 or early 1974 as the film was made in quick time. Ponnunjal got released on June 15th of 1973. But my disconnect is not about the date or time or in which set was Sivaji acting at that point of time. So let me go there.

The first one was MSV Gobi - Sulakashana issue. Sulakshana was introduced by Baghyaraj in Thooral Ninnn Pochu which was released on April 14th of 1982. So MSV having a tiff with his son in 1974 regarding Sulakshana is ruled out.

Same way in 1974, Sripriya was just getting into the filmworld and she had not even starred opposite Sivaji at that point of time. The first film for her with Sivaji was Paattum Bharathamum that got released on Dec 6th of 1975 and that too in 3,4 scenes. She became a heroine in Thirisoolam which was in 1979. Moreover Ramkumar was a College student in 1973/74 and the production side at that point of time was looked after by Sivaji's younger brother VCShanmugam. The gun incident that you were refering to actually happened with Prabhu and that was in May 1978.

Probably Kanmani Subbu had just combined three different incidents and told you about the "coincidence".

Hope this sets the record straight.

Regards

NOV
4th April 2010, 05:27 PM
whoa Mahendra Raj saar, Murali! :shock:

I need time to digest all these. :boo:

NOV
4th April 2010, 05:29 PM
It appears that you were with RTM and I should be only too glad to communicate with you.No saar, I have done programmes for both Minnal and THR long ago. Also have dabbled in the music and advertising industries.
Will call you soon. :D

mahendra raj
4th April 2010, 05:58 PM
Hi folks,

Still on retrogesion of this forum.

Contrary to popular belief that kaviarasar was at his best only after his tipple let me say herein that it was not so.

After meeting up with his associates who also share similar habits (drinking) kaviarasar was never known to be drunk throughout his lifetime. Yes, he drinks but he never short-changed it for his career. Locally, (Malaysia), Dr. V. David, a seasoned politician and trade unionist, publicly told at a forum that those who drink with kaviasarar were the ones who were found to be inebriated. He never, for once, saw our kaviarasar drunk.

Kanmani Subbu told me that Shivaji Ganesan used to drop by frequently at kaviarasar's house in T. Nagar. Both will be enjoying their scotch and discussing the con-current affairs on politics but on films. (When he told me about this I was a bit sceptical because Shivaji had a sprawling mansion as opposed to kaviarasar's although in the same vicinity.) He even told me of his dad's affection of the late actress Devika.

Gandhi Kannadhasan told me that most of the leading actresses at that time like Devika, Padmini, K.R. Vijaya used to frequent kaviaraqsar's house. Normally they drink with kaviarasar in his private room locked. Sensing this, Gandhi's mother used to curse the ladies for momentarily 'stealing 'her husband, But Gandhi told me that the actresses were seeking out his father for consolation on their personal problems. Remember, kaviarasar is also a physchologist of sorts in the Tamil film industry?

Kanmani Subbu told me that after the release of 'Neela Vaanam' (1966) kaviarasar took the whole family (by his first wife's) for a dinner at Devika's house. It seemed that it was the first time ever that he tasted prawns cooked personally by Devika.

That incidence was a memorable event according to Kanmani Subbu. He also told me on the sly that only later he became to understand his father's relationship with Devika. But then again, the recent controversy surrounding Kanniga, Devika's only daughter has got nothing to do with her hereditary connection. Of course, there are people to attest that kaviarasar is the father but no, upon intensive inquiries it has been proved that Director Devadass, ex-hubby of Devika is the paternal and biological father.

I am not sure whether I posted earlier about kaviarar's relatiionship with Devika. But what I know was the fact that he wrote the song 'Poyilae pirantha' (Aananda Jothi 1963). That song was especially meant for Devika who had an informal relationship with our kaviarasar.

It was around this time that MGR started his best to court Devika. The efforts failed. Devika decided once and for all that she will not act opposite MGR. It was also a part of the MGR-Kannadhasan fall-out. Subsequently she was branded a Shivaji faithful in following films. But knowing MGR she tried her best to devote to her career but eventually she failed.

For the record, Muktha Sreenivasan, the veteran producer-director, told me this when I met him in his house. He told me also about MGR which I feel is not proper to tell at this forum.

Although I have been privy to so many personal incidences and secrets nevertheless I have a strong voice discouraging me to write about it. I leave it yo you folks. Hope you will give your comments without touching my conscience.

Anyway, who are we to delve into the private lives of the yester-year stalwarts? That is what is bothering me now.

With warm & cosy regards.

R. Mahendra Raj

NOV
4th April 2010, 06:13 PM
Locally, (Malaysia), Dr. V. David, a seasoned politician and trade unionist, publicly told at a forum that those who drink with kaviasarar were the ones who were found to be inebriated. He never, for once, saw our kaviarasar drunk.I can vouch for this. I know a Chandra Mohan, a close aide of V. David who has told me that Kannadhasan would mix a lot of soda with his spirit and take sips only. A whole peg may last a few hours, thus keeping him a little high, but never drunk.

mahendra raj
4th April 2010, 08:51 PM
Hi folks,

I wish to refer to our Moderator's comments re- kaviarasar's'drinking problems'.

Yes, I too know of Chandra Mohan. Let me re-cap of our kaviarasar's trip to Malaysia.

Dr. V. David, although I know him personally and had visited him during his hospitalisation days prior to his demise, is an old associate of kaviarasar.

During one of his trips to Malaysia, Dato' (an honorary titile likened to 'Sir' of the Brtish Empire, T. S. Sambanthamurthi , a prominent Public Prosecutor voluntered to fetch our kaviarasar from a function. He was having a Mercedes at that time. But our kaviarasar opted for a lesser brand of a car.

groucho070
5th April 2010, 11:20 AM
Mahendra-sir, thank you very much for sharing those information. Whatever they were, it will never diminish our love for Nadigar Thilagam, MSV and Kaviarasar's wonderful talents. Excellent writeup.

Murali-sar, the dates and the situation make sense.

app_engine
5th April 2010, 06:11 PM
Murali-sar, the dates and the situation make sense.

In any case, there are very few exceptions (especially among celebrities) for "தென்னயப்பெத்தா இளநீரு, பிள்ளயப்பெத்தா கண்ணீரு" :-(

Irene Hastings
6th April 2010, 12:14 PM
moderator's note: while allowing for opinions, we cannot accept personal abuse. thus except for one line in this post, the rest has to be deleted.

-deleted-

அய்யா திரை உலகினரை ஒரு கலைஞர்களாகவே பாருங்கள்.

-deleted-

P_R
6th April 2010, 02:03 PM
[tscii:904fd41026]
இடையிடையே, கண்ணதாசனுடன் பேச்சுக் கொடுத்தேன். “எப்படி இவ்வளவு சரளமா வார்த்தைகள் வருது ? “ Look who's talking ! :-)

“தமிழ்ல ஆதார சந்தத்தைப் பிடிச்சுட்டாப் போதும்! பாருங்க, சீதைக்கு எத்தனை பெயர்கள் ?
சீதா — நேர் நேர்
ஜானகி — நேர்நிரை
ஜனகா — நிரைநேர்
வைதேகி — நேர் நேர் நேர் …. இப்படி எந்தச் சந்தம் வேணுமோ அந்தச் சந்தத்துக்கு வார்த்தைகள் போட்டுக்கலாம். என்ன, எல்லா வார்த்தையும் தெரியணும்… அவ்வளவு தான்.
Whoa ![/tscii:904fd41026]

NOV
7th April 2010, 12:09 PM
Feedbacks received on matters raised on previous post.

Regarding gossip...well hardly do next generation get to hear about yesteryear gossip. I'd find it hard to feign disinterest in this For example, I was found the MSV spin in his last post quite interesting.

I for one, am quite interested in yesteryear gossip. It is the kinda thing you don't get to hear unless you have a knowledgable (even if biased and imprecise). Surely there is no way this can be argued, debated meaningfully. But I'd hate to lose out on this en masse !

On one side, the stories are very interesting, at the same time yeah they are very personal. But when it comes to Kannadasan, we have no qualms about knowing his personal life since he himself had no issues in revealing them.

NOV
7th April 2010, 12:11 PM
Folks, let's lighten up and let the thread be.
If you have any further comments, please PM me.

groucho070
8th April 2010, 07:36 AM
Speaking of PA, and I mean no disrespect, but do you see some kinda Kannadhasan "inspiration" there when he wrote Annan Enna Thambi Enna, Sontham Enna Bantham in Tharmathurai? Including "Sutathu, sutathu sattikal suttathadi which seemed to hint on the NT song, which was more to the point when Kaviarasar said, Satti Suttathadi, kai vittathadi. Wherelse, PA was just content with Sattikal suttathadi, so what? :roll:

By the way, Rajini's role there is definitely NTish hence the reference....there you go again, Rakesh, always bringing NT in :P

app_engine
8th April 2010, 07:51 AM
Satti Suttathadi, kai vittathadi.

:lol: அது "சட்டி சுட்டதடா, கை விட்டதடா"!

இப்படியெல்லாம் பாலை மாத்தப்டாது!

groucho070
8th April 2010, 08:32 AM
Satti Suttathadi, kai vittathadi.

:lol: அது "சட்டி சுட்டதடா, கை விட்டதடா"!

இப்படியெல்லாம் பாலை மாத்தப்டாது! :lol: Kanfiusan, boss. Tharmathurai version says Suttathadi, athan :oops:

Plum
8th April 2010, 12:07 PM
Speaking of PA, and I mean no disrespect, but do you see some kinda Kannadhasan "inspiration" there when he wrote Annan Enna Thambi Enna, Sontham Enna Bantham in Tharmathurai? Including "Sutathu, sutathu sattikal suttathadi which seemed to hint on the NT song, which was more to the point when Kaviarasar said, Satti Suttathadi, kai vittathadi. Wherelse, PA was just content with Sattikal suttathadi, so what? :roll:

By the way, Rajini's role there is definitely NTish hence the reference....there you go again, Rakesh, always bringing NT in :P
There is also the more obvious reference to the song from Pazhani of which one can say Dharmadurai is a 80's masala rehash

Plum
8th April 2010, 12:08 PM
NOV, the tabloid journalist in me is all ears for more gossip :)

NOV
8th April 2010, 12:15 PM
plum, read the "Pazhani song" story here...

http://www.dinamalar.com/supplementary/varamalar_detail.asp?news_id=124

NOV
2nd May 2010, 04:48 PM
cross-posting here.....

Roshan yes I was talking about the lyric and Nov not about the title :)In that case there is absolutely nothing wrong.
VM has earned enough to credit himself these small praises. If you take away Kannadhasan, VM shines like an icon in Tamil cinema. In fact besides him, there is none other now. We make fun because of his sometimes compromising - but that shouldnt matter because his contributions overshine the less worthy stuff.

Kannadhasan is a different case altogether. His title Kavignar is suffice. No other cinema personality has received such acclaim as Kavignar.

(While Kavignar means Kannadhasan, Nadigar, Isai amaippaalar, Paadagar, etc doesnt pinpoint any individual. Such is the greatness of Kavignar.) :bow:

mahendra raj
15th May 2010, 08:30 PM
Hi folks,

I am indeed very, very, very terribly sorry for the inordinate delay in getting engaged in this Forum. I had to go to East Malaysia for an official stint unexpectedly and being in a remote area the internet connection was almost next to impossible.

The first thing when I came back, I saw amongst the hundreds of mails in the 'In-box'' of the notification of the response. Kaviarasar being the soul and heart of me I decided to post something right away. For your information folks, when I did the previous postings I was actually in a hurry-burry situation. I am not going to look into the responses right away and all the retorspectives because I have to be back in East Malaysia (Kuching, Sarawak) soon to finalise my official matters which will culminate in an important governmental meeting on 5, 6 and 7 June 2010. But until then I have some important paper work to complete and of course I will be able to surf the entire topic dear to my heart and soul.

So, very, very sorry folks once again.

In the meantime, let me pose you a question. Why was that our Kaviarasar was not given the opportunity in full force for AVM films? Both being Nagarathaars and the trend then was to help someone of your own kind. This had been bothering me for sometimes until I met Aachi (Kaviarasar's first wife) in Singapore, 1996 when she was staying with her youngest son Venkat, an engineer by profession and a Singapore PR.

Aachi intimated to me that kaviarasar being a man of pride and ego never truly recognised AVM Meyappan chettiar as a film maker. According to Kaviarasar he was more of a shrewd businessman than a filmworld man. I nudged her further offering various opposing grounds even citing MGR for that matter. Finally she opened up by saying that her father was in the employ of AVM and that was the reason kaviarasar was not keen to work with AVM. In other words the ego in our Kaviarasar saw him not fit to work alongside with his father-in-law. And according to her, that was the first salvo at the nagarathaars since kaviarasar was seen to oppose all things involving capitalism which the former were famous.

Now, when I saw 'Thirumbi Paakerean' on Jaya TV recently where Panchu Arunachalam was the guest of honour, it attested my belief.
Panchu, whilst being diplomatic, did say something to this effect but not mentioning the strained relations between AVM an Kaviarasar.

Now, in retrospect, let us all see whether our Kaviarasar has really penned all the songs fully in an AVM film. When I was in East Malaysia I took along with me a few books which I bought in Chennai recently. Amongst them was AVM's history wherein AVM Saravanan had mentioned greatly about kaviarasar but at the same time said that he (Kaviarasar) is one person who must have debts, court cases and controversies looming over his head in order for him to pen situation songs perfectly.

Now, can you call that a compliment or otherwise? I tried backtracking to AVM films with my available resources, at least from 1960 onwwards. Lo! what did I find? Some or rather there were additional song writers besides our Kaviarasar. In other words, it went on to show that AVM fraternities were not fully confident with Kaviarasar. This is what Panchu said indirectly in his interview especially relating to songs like 'Marum agalae marumagale vaa vaa' (Saradha 1962) and 'Poo Poley Poo Pooley Pirakkum' (Nanum Oru Penn 1963).

Off the record, what I heard about AVM Meyappan chettiar when I was in Chennai the last time around will push our Kaviarasar to the backseats on matters pertaining to women!

It seemed that there was an indirect ruling that our Kaviarasar should'nt dominate in AVM films although Sudharsan, the contracted music director (also a Nagarathaar) was almost in all. I could'nt delve further due to time constraints. I will definitely get back to all of you folks on this issue but in the meantime I would appreciate if a debate is taken on this subject. The debate will surely offer me some input to further this subject.

Since I will be around in Kuala Lumpur for only a few days before my flight back to East Malaysia shortly I will try and go through all the earlier postings which I could'nt access earlier.

Rest assured folks, as mentioned much earlier I have a lot of sordid details which I will share with all of you.

Until then, once again folks, sorry, sorry and sorry. After this I will try and scrutinise the postings (it is past midnight now) and post appropriate replies.

With warm & kind regards,

R. Mahendra Raj
15/05/2010

mahendra raj
15th May 2010, 09:51 PM
Hi folks,

Just when I was in the midst of preparing/reckoning of things during my absence I happened to watch or rather glance the movie 'Vasool Raja MBBS' on Astro Satellite channel (Malaysia) this evening. Kamal was trying to revive a stroke patient (sorry for the digression - first a stroke, then a coma and then a full stop for terminally-ill patients?@!!!) where he recites 'Nan Pesa Ninaipathellam' ('Paalum Paqzhamum 1961) to the patient whilst mentioning our Kaviarasar's name. What a relief after the respite!

What I don't understand about Kamal is that way back in 1990 in an interview with Ananda Vikatan he mentioned his lyricist style is due to Kannadhasan. He further mentioned that he learnt chaste Tamil thrugh Kannadhasan's songs.

Incidentally, Pugezhenthi, the Associate Director of AC Thirulogachander said a piece about Kamal's devotion to Kaviarasar.

When Kamal embarked on his maiden venture 'Raja Paarvai' Kaviarasar was asked to pen some songs besides Vairamuthu. The moment Kaviarasar walked into Kamal's studio office he asked what was the title of the film was about. Kamal mentioned that it was 'Anthi Malai' (remember the song by the same title by Vairamuthu?)

Kaviarasar advised Kamal to change the title because it was taboo ('anthi' means sunset which will not go well for a maiden venture). So, Kamal took Kaviarasar's advice by re-naming it as ' Raaja Paarvai' which was apt for the character.

But some or rather I notice Kamal not mentioning Kaviarasar's relationship but giving more prominence to Karunanidhi (that is another subject as to why he is always seen in functions relating to Kartunanidhi).

Although 'Raaja Paarvai' was a flop but can anyone forget the song of a blind man describing a maiden as 'seen' in his own words? That being one of last songs of Kaviarasar before his demise the song 'Andhi Malar' by Vairamuthu became the hit song.

Bye the bye, way back in 1993 Vairamuthu was interviewed in Radio Malaysia Dr. V. Poobalan (a staunch supporter of Kaviarasar) who was the deputy head of the Tamil service then and me casually spoke to the former for nearly an hour. But that fellow, never did once acknowledge our Kaviarasar although both of us were prompting him. We could only surmise that Vairamuthu was an egoitist for all and sundry. Remember, Ilayaraja, Bharathiraja, Kamal, Rajnikanth, AR Rahman etc. who all shunned him later?)

The following year (1994) Vairamuthu was down here in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia for a function. Mydi Sultan, my erstwhile friend and a senior broadcaster in Radio Malaysia Television asked me for some tips relating to an exclusive interview with Vairamuthu.

I gave him my piece. Amongst the questions Sultan asked him was that since Kannadhasan is no more alive who will be the right person to acquire the title of 'kaviarasar' after him. To that, Vairamuthu replied that since Kannadhasan's demise the Tamil mother's seat is still vacant. At the same breath he appealed to Sultan (a poet too) and his likes to requisition the appropriate authorities so that he can occupy this vacant seat! That interview was broadcast in the Malaysia television and the purists viewed that with disgust. For the record, If I am not mistaken the seat is still vacant. If it is otherwise I hope you folks would enlighten me.

For the information of the Forum members here I wish to re-capitulate that Vairamuthu was bestowed the title 'Kaviarasar' by Balu Jewelllers when he went for a function. Since the name connotes both 'vairam' and 'muthu' the organisers found it fit to bestow such a title. Balu Jewellers have since been declared bankrupt. This was where the controversy started way back in 1998 when Shivaji Ganesan said some words which invited controversy. To wit, Shivaji mentiuoned that if Kannadhasan were to be alive he will surely lose out to Vairamuthu. That function was held in Singapore and immediately after that the Tamil Literary Society of Singapore (Aamaldass, the President and a good friend of mine) approached Shivaji and asked for clarification. Shivaji, being the fanatic of his kind, defended Vairamuthu. That started the storm and so much so Vairamuthu had to abandon his so-called title. Later Karunanidhi came to his rescue by bestowing the title of 'Kaviperarasu'. Remember Karunanidhi had always an axe to grind on all things Kannadhasan?

Will post more folks, hopefully.

With warm regards.

R. Mahendra Raj

Converserly, way back in 1977 when Sultan went to interview our Kaviarasar in his humble dormitory-like room (courtesy of the late Dr. V. David) it was just the opposite. Our Kaviarasar was giving his interview lying on his bed with his cigarette without any qualms. He appeared to be more than a down-to-earth person. He never showed any signs of ego and in fact requested that he be not called 'Kaviarasar'. (That title was bestowed in 1968). Just call him plainly as 'kavingar' would suffice, he said.

Incidentally, I must make mention of Mydi Sultan here. He is a national figure especially in Tamil literary cirles. He is (was) a die-hard fan of Bharathi Dhasan and he can just recite off-hand of nearly all of his poems. But when I gave him all the books okf kaviarasar he became his fan overnight! Till todate he never fails to mentione our Kaviarasar's works during the discharge of his reponsibilities, be it as a DJ or a Compere at functions.

Before I sign off for now, I must mention that at the moment Radio Malaysia is playing the old hits (coutesy of my my friend, Chelladurai who is also another Kannadhasan fanatic). The closing song was 'Kadavul Irukindraar' ('Ananda Jothi 1963')

With warm regards,

R. Mahendra Raj

mahendra raj
15th May 2010, 10:12 PM
Manisegaran,

I hope you are following this Forum. I have lost your mobile and email id. Please do keep in touch.

Folks, sorry for the digression. Manisegaran is my erstwhile friend and due to my erratic official schedules I could'nt oblige him earlier. Yes, to take part in this Forum.

But after, the recent developments I think the time is ripe or me to liaise with him. So, Mani, if you are still in Geneva please do let me know. I just contacted our Ministry of Human Resources Labour Attache, Malaysia for our delegation's stay there. There are leaving on 30/5/2010 at 2350 hours Malaysian time for Amsterdam en route to Geneva. If there is anything I could pass on to them please do let me know.

With warm regards,

R. Mahendra Raju

NOV
6th June 2010, 07:58 AM
A special compilation on Kannadhasan will be shown on Astro Vanavil on June 24th at 9.30pm.
Do not miss the show!

Plum
10th June 2010, 05:06 PM
We could only surmise that Vairamuthu was an egoitist for all and sundry. Remember, Ilayaraja, Bharathiraja, Kamal, Rajnikanth, AR Rahman etc. who all shunned him later?)

this is the first time I am hearing this angle. podhuvA, this is said only of IR that he was so arrogant that everyone deserted him :-)
(to some extent, Vairamuthu still works for some of them so this is not completely true)

Murali Srinivas
24th June 2010, 12:07 AM
நான் நிரந்தரமானவன் அழிவதில்லை

எந்த நிலையிலும் எனக்கு மரணமில்லை

இன்று பிறந்த நாள் காணும்

என்றும் இறவாப் புகழ் கொண்ட கவியரசே

உன் புகழ் பல்லாண்டு வாழ்க.

அன்புடன்

NOV
24th June 2010, 07:53 AM
Born A. L. Muthiah, born June 24, 1927
Sirukudalpatti, Tamil Nadu, India
Died October 17, 1981 (aged 54)
Chicago, Illinois, United States

[html:c857067709]
http://www.sangam.org/articles/view2/Kannadasan.gif
[/html:c857067709]

Pean To The King Of Lyricists - Kavignar Kannadasan
82nd Birth Anniversary
Jun 23,2009

When remembering the king of lyricists Kavignar Kannadasan on his birthday today on June 24, the kind-of feeling evoked will be a reminiscence of the masterpieces by the laureate and the unforgettable galore of words he have left us which would captivate the generations to come.

If the lyricist should have been alive he would have turned 82 today and will still be mesmerizing us with his words. Unlike the lyricists in cinema, Kannadasan penned lyrics inspired from his real life incidents which carried the original emotions into the songs. Thus riveting us into the world of love, agony or anguish without giving a chance to realize it's the celluloid version of emotion.

Once veteran music director MS Viswanathan lauded Kannadasan for he is the only one able to write for every mood in life, be it bitten by the love bug or the sorrow of a betrayed lover. If we remember the nostalgic black and white movies the most romantic songs and the most melancholic will have been penned by the lyricist. It's doubtful if contemporary lyricists could veer between such different genres.

"Poonal Pogattum Poda" is one of the famed songs and a favorite of the yesteryear generation that evokes the deep hidden pain during the time of irrevocable sorrow. At the same time, he is immensely talented to sheen a new lease of light into our minds with a song like, 'Vaazha Ninaithal Vazhalam'.

The beauty of the poet lies in the era he was in where lyrics and voice were in the forefront with the instruments taking backstage. The verses will have a deep impact in our minds diverting us from whatever mood we are in to the milieu set by the musical number. Kalaignar Karunanidhi and Kannadasan were inseparable friends for forty years who later on went different ways due to contradiction. In their decade old friendship Karunanidhi a great writer himself praises his friend for his talent and admires his finesse when it comes to creating masterpieces. Superstar Rajinikanth had a great respect for the lyric writer and took his blessings, which is a rare occurrence in history. Such was the greatness of Kaviarasu Kannadasan and his virtue in real life paving way for the status of a great human.

The list of best songs penned by the poet go endless and mere words will never be sufficient to describe how soothing, assuasive and pacifying his songs are to the abounding emotions within the heart. In personal life, Kannadasan explored the limits offered by the world and the reflection was evident in the lines. The words possessed a tad touch of humor commingled with mocking sarcasm delivering a message rather than just entertaining the audience.

Without a doubt, we can conclude the verses of Kannadasan are an encyclopedia of life delving into every possible topic that we might have come across during different stages. The sole entrancing element lies in this realism and to better know the eminence of Kavignar Kannadasan listen to his best collections that would sure leave you fumbling for words to praise the poet.

Kaviarasu Kannadasan shares his birthday with his close friend and musical legend MS Viswanathan who composed the memorable classics of Tamil cinema. A special pean to the duo for giving us a treasure of music and verses.
http://www.sivajitv.com/specials/Pean-To-The-King-Of-Lyricists-Kavignar-Kannadasan.htm

sudha india
24th June 2010, 01:54 PM
Nice picture NOV....

Just wondering if there would be any reference to Kavignar in the world tamil conference today !!

Kavi arangathai kalai katti iruppar Kaviarasu :bow:

NOV
24th June 2010, 02:19 PM
"geethaiyin saarathaiyum, thiruvalluvar, naaladiyaar, pattinathaarin, sangka tamil thatuvangkalai, paamaranum anubavikka seitha, maaperum kavi, naathikan aaka aarambithu, arthamulla hindu matham, geethaiyin saaram, vaditta, tamil thaayin thavaputhalvan ,indru tamil ulagamee unakku dhaasargal"

Kambar_Kannagi
19th July 2010, 09:09 AM
[tscii:166d1aff36]கவியரசர் கண்ணதாசன் இப்பூவுலகில் வாழ்ந்த காலத்தில் ஒரு நாள், வழக்கம்போல, காலை 9:30 மணிக்கு தன் அலுவலுக்குச் சென்றார். அதாவது திரைப்படம் ஒன்றிற்கு பாடல் புனையச் சென்றார்.

சென்றடைந்த இடம் மிகவும் பிரபலமான ஸ்டுடியோவின் ஒலியரங்கம். அதாவது ரெகார்டிங் தியேட்டர். முன்புறம் இருந்த ஹாலில், இசை யமைப்பாளர் திரு. எம்.எஸ்.விஸ்வநாதன் அவர்கள்,
ஒரு ஷோபாவில் நீட்டிப் படுத்து, நல்ல நித்திரையில் ஆழ்ந்திருந்தார்.
வேறு எவரையும் காணோம். இவரை வரச் சொல்லியிருந்த அவர்
அதை மறந்து ஆழ்ந்த நித்திரையில் இருந்தார்.

சுற்று முற்றும் பார்த்துவிட்டுத் தன் காருக்கே திரும்பினார் கவியரசர். அவரைக் கண்டு ஓடிவந்த எம்.எஸ்.வியின் உதவியாளர் கவியரசரின் காதில் மெல்லக் கிசுகிசுத்தார் “அண்ணே, இரவு முழுவதும் ஒரு படத்திற்குப் பின்னணி இசை சேர்க்கும் வேலை. அது முடிவதற்குக் காலை ஆறு மணியாகிவிட்டது. அனைவரையும் வீட்டிற்குச் சென்றுவிட்டு பகல் பன்னிரெண்டு மணிக்கு வாருங்கள் என்று சொல்லிவிட்டு, தலைவர் இங்கேயே படுத்து உறங்க ஆரம்பித்துவிட்டார்,,,”

“அதனாலென்ன பரவாயில்லை!” என்று சொன்ன கவியரசர், காரின் டாஷ்போர்டில் இருந்த நோட்டுப் புத்தகத்தில் இருந்து ஒரு காகிதத்தைக் கிழித்து, அதில் இரண்டு வரிகளை எழுதி, “இதை விஸ்வநாதன் எழுந்த பிறகு கொடுத்து இதற்கு டியூன் போடச் சொல்லு, நான் ஒரு மணிக்கு மீண்டும் வருகிறேன். மீதி வரிகளை அப்போது எழுதித் தருகிறேன்” என்று சொல்லிவிட்டுப் புறப்பட்டார்.

இரண்டு மணி நேரத்திற்குப் பிறகு, எம்.எஸ்.வி எழுந்தவுடன், சீட்டு அவரிடம் சேர்க்கப்பட்டது.

சீட்டைப் பார்த்த எம்.எஸ்.வி புன்னகைத்தார்.

“அட, இது கூட நன்றாக இருக்கிறதே!” என்று சொன்னவர், அதற்கே அன்று மெட்டைப் போட்டு வைத்தார். கவியரசர் திரும்பி வந்தவுடன், அந்த வரிகளை வைத்தே பாடல் முழுமையாக எழுதப்பெற்று, பாடலும் பதிவானது. பிறகு படம் வெளியானவுடன், அந்தப் பாடல் மிகவும் பிரபலமடைந்தது.

கவியரசர் விளையாட்டாக எழுதிக் கொடுத்து, பிறகு பிரபலமான அந்த வரிகள் இதுதான்:

“அவனுக்கென்ன தூங்கிவிட்டான் ...
அகப்பட்டவன் நான் அல்லவா”[/tscii:166d1aff36]

NOV
25th September 2010, 07:11 AM
[html:7d5133182f]
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4092/5021984238_ff988f6e84_z.jpg
[/html:7d5133182f]

NOV
25th September 2010, 07:14 AM
what a closing!!!!

kannadhasan! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

saradhaa_sn
25th September 2010, 07:23 PM
[tscii:e28e53aad9]தன்னிடம் ஒரு அம்பாஸிடர் கார் இருந்தும், தன் நண்பரொருவர் வைத்திருந்த வெளிநாட்டுக்கார் மீது கண்ணதாசனுக்கு ஆவல். நண்பரும் அதை விற்கப்போகிறார் என்பதைக்கேள்விப்பட்ட கவிஞர், அதைத்தனக்கே தரவேண்டுமென்று விலையும் பேசிவிட்டார். முழுப்பணமும் கொடுக்க கண்ணதாசனிடம் பணமில்லை. எனவே மூன்றில் ஒரு பங்கு பணம் அப்போதே தருவதாகவும், பாக்கியை விரைவில் தந்துவிடுவதாகவும் சொல்ல ந்ண்பரும் சம்மதித்தார். அதுமுதல் கவிஞர் அந்தக்காரை தன்னுடைய கார் போலவே கனவு காணத்துவங்கினார். மறுநாள் காலை நண்பரிடம் இருந்து வெளிநாட்டுக்காரை எடுத்து வருவதாக ஏற்பாடு.

ஆனால் முதல்நாள் அந்த நண்பரின் மற்ற நண்பர்கள் சிலர், 'கண்ணதாசன் கொடுக்கல் வாங்கலில் ரொம்ப மோசமென்றும், அவருக்கு ஊரைச்சுற்றி நிறைய கடன் இருப்பதாகவும், எனவே நண்பரின் பாக்கிப்பணம் வசூலாவது கடினம்' என்றும் சொல்ல நண்பர் உஷாரானார்.

('இந்தியாவின் ஜனாதிபதியைப்போல சம்பாதித்தும்கூட, இந்தியாவைப்போல கடன் வாங்கியவர் கண்ணதாசன் ' என்று கவிஞரைப் பற்றி ஒரு சொல்வழக்கு உண்டு).

மறுநாள் காலை கவிஞர் குளித்து, உணவருந்திவிட்டு, வண்டியை எடுத்துவர தன் ஓட்டுனருடன் நண்பர் வீட்டுக்குச் செல்ல, நண்பரோ குண்டைத்தூக்கிப்போட்டார். ‘அந்த கார் தனக்கு ராசியானது என்றும், அதைவிற்க தன் மனைவிக்கும் மற்றவர்களுக்கும் விருப்பமில்லை’ என்றும் கூற, கவிஞர் ஏமாற்றத்துடன் வீடு திரும்பினார். தான் ஆசைப்பட்டு தனதாகவே நினைத்திருந்த கார் தனக்கு கிடைக்கவில்லையே என்ற வருத்தம் அவர் மனதில் தங்கியிருந்தது.

அன்று பிற்பகல் இரண்டு மணிக்கு, இயக்குனர் ராமண்ணா இயக்கத்தில் எம்.ஜி.ஆர். நடித்து வந்த 'பணக்கார குடும்பம்' படத்துக்கு ஒரு சோகப்பாடல் எழுத அமர்ந்த கவிஞருக்கு அன்று காலை நடந்த சம்பவம் மனதைக்குடைய, பல்லவியை இப்படி துவங்கினார்....

"பல்லாக்கு வாங்கப்போனேன் ஊர்வலம் போக - நான்
பாதியிலே திரும்பி வந்தேன் தனிமரமாக".

(சூழ்நிலைகளை தன் பாடலுக்குள் புகுத்திக்கொள்வதில் கவிஞருக்கு நிகர் அவர்தான்).
[/tscii:e28e53aad9]

NOV
16th December 2010, 07:33 AM
[tscii:49d04c9605]Event: Musical event ‘Kannadasan Kalai Ilakkiya Vizha' to glorify Kannadasan organised by the Malaysian Tamil Forum in Chennai. The celebrity pair AL Ragavan-MN Rajam was conferred 'Lifetime Achievement Award' by the Malaysian Tamil people.

Guests: TM Soundararajan, LR Eswari, Vani Jayaram, Malaysia Vasudevan, PB Sreenivas, AL Raghavan-MN Rajam, Sivakumar. SP Muthuraman, Sankar Ganesh, Sachu, Rajashri, CID Sakunthala, Kumari Lakshmi, SN Parvathi, Jayanthi Kannapan, Gandhi Kannadasan and others

Date: December 10, 2010

Place: Kamarajar Arangam, Chennai

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/gallery/Events/24777.html

[html:49d04c9605]
http://icdn1.indiaglitz.com/tamil/gallery/Events/kannadasan_vizha141210/kannadasan141210_1.jpg
[/html:49d04c9605]

http://icdn1.indiaglitz.com/tamil/gallery/Events/kannadasan_vizha141210/kannadasan141210_9.jpg
[/html:49d04c9605]

http://icdn1.indiaglitz.com/tamil/gallery/Events/kannadasan_vizha141210/kannadasan141210_2.jpg
[/html:49d04c9605][/tscii:49d04c9605]

(Thanks TFMLover :) )

NOV
21st May 2011, 07:37 PM
with Wife Ponnammal
http://www.kannadasanpathippagam.com/Admin/gallary/60.gif

With Poet Bharathidasan
http://www.kannadasanpathippagam.com/Admin/gallary/57.gif

Composing for Sumai Thaangi
http://www.kannadasanpathippagam.com/Admin/gallary/56.gif

With Sirgazhi
http://www.kannadasanpathippagam.com/Admin/gallary/54.gif

NOV
21st May 2011, 07:44 PM
with Russian writers
http://www.kannadasanpathippagam.com/Admin/gallary/48.gif

with wife Parvathi
http://www.kannadasanpathippagam.com/Admin/gallary/47.gif

with Rajni
http://www.kannadasanpathippagam.com/Admin/gallary/41.gif

moment of contemplation
http://www.kannadasanpathippagam.com/Admin/gallary/42.gif

NOV
21st May 2011, 07:47 PM
with Parvathi and sons Gandhi & Kamal
http://www.kannadasanpathippagam.com/Admin/gallary/38.gif

with Kamarajar
http://www.kannadasanpathippagam.com/Admin/gallary/33.gif

http://www.kannadasanpathippagam.com/Admin/gallary/30.gif

http://www.kannadasanpathippagam.com/Admin/gallary/27.gif

NOV
21st May 2011, 07:50 PM
with Sivaji
http://www.kannadasanpathippagam.com/Admin/gallary/17.gif

with Periyar
http://www.kannadasanpathippagam.com/Admin/gallary/15.gif

with MGR at Sivaji's wedding
http://www.kannadasanpathippagam.com/Admin/gallary/12.gif

in the office
http://www.kannadasanpathippagam.com/Admin/gallary/19.gif

s ramaswamy
22nd May 2011, 10:11 AM
Plum
1. Yes. கங்கைக் கரையில் தாஜ் மஹால் nu ezhudhi history teacher-ta argue paNNiyiruppeenga pOla. Yamuna is a right tributary. i.e. it merges into the Ganges and is not branch out. (so till then it has a distinct identity till it merges in Allahabad). Nice try though.
2. Poetic liberty-ai konjam extend paNNi வைகைக்கரைத் தோட்டம்னு பாடியிருந்தாலும் ஓகே தான் :-)

Is the 9/80 solved ?

Hi all,

Sorry to have missed this thread earlier. Very interesting postings.

Now perhaps because of the criticism abt Gangai being linked to Kannan, KD wrote later "Yamuna Nadhi Ange, Radhai Mugam Inge" in
Gowravam.

And only after reading the posts here did I think about Nilavin Edhiroli in that famous KJY song in "Aboorva Ragangal". Edhiroli or Edhir OLI, nice arguments. And the same KJY sang 'Pillai thamizh Paadugiren" with wrong pronounciation. Only Tamil pundits can tells us which is correct.

Ramaswamy

Avadi to America
25th May 2011, 12:43 AM
with Sivaji
http://www.kannadasanpathippagam.com/Admin/gallary/17.gif

with Periyar
http://www.kannadasanpathippagam.com/Admin/gallary/15.gif

with MGR at Sivaji's wedding
http://www.kannadasanpathippagam.com/Admin/gallary/12.gif

in the office
http://www.kannadasanpathippagam.com/Admin/gallary/19.gif

kamarajar and kalignar are in the first and third pics respectively with Kavignar....

groucho070
25th May 2011, 06:59 AM
The colour pix is Kavingar performing in a drama. Forgot what drama it is.

NOV
25th May 2011, 07:16 AM
The colour pix is Kavingar performing in a drama. Forgot what drama it is.
karuppu panam?

groucho070
25th May 2011, 07:18 AM
I think so. Is he a regular actor on stage? Or just here and there. In his two memoirs/arthamulla indhumadham books, he hardly mentions his acting roles (mostly politics in the former and of course religion in the latter).

NOV
8th June 2011, 07:43 AM
The only two people I would die for....

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/5692_121079313800_534633800_2175032_8260039_n.jpg

groucho070
8th June 2011, 07:45 AM
Ada ada ada, what a beautiful pix. How I wish I was there when these greats were chilling out. NOV have you met Kavingar in person? Tell us your experience. He's been here, and especially Penang a lot I think.

NOV
8th June 2011, 07:51 AM
Unfortunately no Rakesh, I was barely out of my teens when he passed away. :(
Which reminds me, I must meet up with MSV when I am in Chennai in Dec this year..

groucho070
8th June 2011, 07:56 AM
Dad remembered him making a trip down to Kluang. But it was for Arthamulla Indhumadham tour, not much on his cinema life. Wish he had lived longer and still competing with Valee :sad:

NOV
8th June 2011, 07:59 AM
was he ever competing? :shock:
anyway, its best to go when one is on the top...

groucho070
8th June 2011, 08:07 AM
I know they were not, and Valee reveres him (referenced him several times in the 80s songs). Chumma sonnen, competing like Rajini is competing with Kamal. But yeah, he could have contributed a lot more.

hamid
17th October 2011, 01:20 PM
Setting: Sung by two sets of newly-weds under the full-moon (always conveniently available in movies).

aththikkaai kaai kaai aalangaai veNNilavae
visham poalak kodiya (aalangaaiyaip poalak kasakkum) veNNilavae, nee vERu dhisayil kaai

iththikkAi kaayaadhae ennaip poal peNNallavoa
indha dhisaiyil kaayaadhae, ennaip poal neeyum nANam niRaindha oru peNdhaanae

kannikkaai aasaikkaai kaadhal koNda paavaikkaai
angae kaai avaraik kaai mangai endhan kOvaik kaai
indhak kannikkaaga, ivaL avar mEl koNda aasaikkaaga, avar mEl kaadhal koNda indha paavaikkaaga
nee en mannan/thalaivanaagiya avar irukkum dhisaiyil avaridam kObam koL/oLi veesu (kaai has two meanings)

maadhuLangaai aanaalum ennuLam kaai aagumO
indha peNNin manam kaai pOl aanaalum en uLLam avaLidam kaayaadhu

ennai nee kaayaadhae ennuyirum neeyallavoa
self-explanatory

iravukkaai uRavukkaai Engum indha Ezhaikkaai entire stanza is self-explanatory too

Elakkaai vaasanai poal engaL uLLam vaazhak kaai
thOlinnuL irundhu maNam veesum Elakkaiyaip pOl engaLiruvar manangaLum naRumaNaththOdu vaazha oLi veesu

jAdhikkaai pettagam poal thanimai inbam kaniyak kaai
moodi vaiththirukkum jaadhikkaai petti poal thanimai inbam etc..

sonnadhellaam viLangaayO thoodhu vazhangaai veNNilaa
sonnadhu purigiRadhae, adhaith thoodhaaga pOi avaLidam solvaai nilavae

uLLamelaam iLagaayoa ovvoru pEchchuraikkaayoa
un uLLam iLagi ennidam nee oru sollaavadhu ennidam pEsa maattaayoa

veLLarikkaai piLandhadhu poal veNNilavae sirikkaayoa
self-explanatory

kOdhai enaik kaayaadhae kotRavaraik kaai veNNilaa
peNNaagiya ennaik kaayaadhae, ennaik koNda mannavaraagiya ivaraik kaai, nilavae

iruvaraiyum kaayaadhae thanimaiyil Engaai veNNilaa
nilavae, nee engaL iruvaridamum kaayaadhu, engaLai vittup pOi, un thanimaiyai eNNi Enguvaayaaga!

:notworthy: chanceless.. Didnt know the full meanign of it.. thought there will be some kaai's used just for teh sake of it. but no words to say .. just unbelieveable..can the present poets including vairamuthu/vaali come up with a sogn like this?

geno
20th October 2011, 11:04 PM
"..தலைவர் மாறுவர் - தர்பார் மாறும் தத்துவம் மட்டுமே அட்சய பாத்திரம்.." என்று பதிவு செய்து தன் விலாசம் சொன்ன, உண்மை சொன்ன கவிஞன் கண்ணதாசன்.

"..ஆளாளுக்கு தலைவன் ஆக ஆசைப்பட்டு - தனக்குத்தானே கட்சி துவங்காது - ஒரு தலைவனை ஏற்றுக் கொள்ளவேண்டும்" - என்று சொன்ன கவிஞனெல்லாம் - தன் தலைவன் சொன்னான் என்பதற்காக, மனசாட்சிக்குப் பூட்டுப் போட்டுக் கொண்டு, அவன் கால் நக்கி வாழத் துணிகிறான்.

ஆனால் உண்மையான விடுதலை விரும்பியான கண்ணதாசனால்தான் "அதோ அந்தப் பறவை போல வாழ வேண்டும்!" என்கிற உன்னதப் பாடல் எழுத முடிந்தது. ("ஆயிரத்தில் ஒருவன்" - 1964)

"ராமன் ஆண்டாலும் ராவணன் ஆண்டாலும் எனக்கொரு கவலை இல்லே" என்று சுதந்திரக் கூவல் பறைசாற்ற முடிந்தது! ( "முள்ளும் மலரும்" - 1978).

சொல்வேறு செயல் வேறு என்றிருக்கும் பேடிக்கவிஞனுக்கு மீசை மயிரு ஒரு கேடா?
"மீசை வரால் மீனுக்கும் இருக்கு!"

tfmlover
21st October 2011, 07:11 AM
"..தலைவர் மாறுவர் - தர்பார் மாறும் தத்துவம் மட்டுமே அட்சய பாத்திரம்.." என்று பதிவு செய்து தன் விலாசம் சொன்ன, உண்மை சொன்ன கவிஞன் கண்ணதாசன்.

"..ஆளாளுக்கு தலைவன் ஆக ஆசைப்பட்டு - தனக்குத்தானே கட்சி துவங்காது - ஒரு தலைவனை ஏற்றுக் கொள்ளவேண்டும்" - என்று சொன்ன கவிஞனெல்லாம் - தன் தலைவன் சொன்னான் என்பதற்காக, மனசாட்சிக்குப் பூட்டுப் போட்டுக் கொண்டு, அவன் கால் நக்கி வாழத் துணிகிறான்.

ஆனால் உண்மையான விடுதலை விரும்பியான கண்ணதாசனால்தான் "அதோ அந்தப் பறவை போல வாழ வேண்டும்!" என்கிற உன்னதப் பாடல் எழுத முடிந்தது. ("ஆயிரத்தில் ஒருவன்" - 1964)

"ராமன் ஆண்டாலும் ராவணன் ஆண்டாலும் எனக்கொரு கவலை இல்லே" என்று சுதந்திரக் கூவல் பறைசாற்ற முடிந்தது! ( "முள்ளும் மலரும்" - 1978).

raaman aandaalum raavanan aandaalum ' by Gangai Amaran

Regards

venkkiram
21st October 2011, 07:28 AM

சார், நீங்க எப்போதுமே இப்படித்தானா? ஒருத்தரைப் புகழணும் என்றால் கூட உங்களால் இன்னொருத்தரை வசை பாடியே புகழ வேண்டியிருக்கு. உங்களுடைய தமிழ் நடையை இப்படிப்பட்ட சிலை உடைப்புகளிலேயே விரயம் செய்யாதீர்கள். நாளடைவில்
மனச் சோர்வுதான் மீதமிருக்கும். கலை உலகம் என வரும்போது படைப்பாளிகளை அவர்களின் தனிப்பட்ட குணங்கள், அணுகுமுறைகளைக் கொண்டு எடை போடவேண்டாமே!

NOV
13th January 2012, 08:01 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/379013_207419036017697_100002488071379_419896_8928 16396_n.jpg

NOV
19th February 2012, 08:40 PM
My son's status on Facebook:

When the creditor comes asking for his dues, will he leave you alone if you say no?
Even if you cry citing your loved ones and their misfortunes, can you escape death?
Making a scene won't help and this is one case that you can't win in court.
Once you enter this fort, there is no turning back.

NOV
23rd February 2012, 02:02 PM
From: Sathiya Keerthi (@ panorama.nus.edu.sg) on: Sun Oct 19 23:56:12 EDT 1997

Naan paalum pazhamum patri ezhuthiyavatrai paaraattiya ellOrukkum mikka
nandri. I saw Aalaya MaNi in the weekend (Thanks to NOV for telling me that
this movie was being shown on Malaysian TV) and I am compelled to write another
long posting. Although the movie has excellent songs such as thookkam un
kaNgaLai thazhuvattumE, ponnai virumbum boomiyilE, and kallellaam maaNikka
kallaagumaa, I just want to write about the song in the movie, satti
suttadhadaa. The song is usually classified as one depicting sadness (see
TMS sOha geedhangaL.. thread, but I want to argue that it is just the
opposite.

There are good (divine) and bad (animal) qualities in-born in every human being.
In some people, one or more of the bad qualities such as fear, jealousy, anger,
etc., are present in an extreme level, causing deep mental agony. The hero of the
movie is one such person; the problem in him is extreme jealousy. If he loves
a certain thing and if someone else sets eye on it, he loses control and becomes
furious. When he was a small boy, he even caused the death of a dear friend who set
his eyes on a doll that the hero loved. The hero, who otherwise is a person of
good character, has been having this deep feeling of guilt that he (the deep
jealousy in him) was the cause of his dear friend's death. Hence he
has been consciously making an effort to control jealousy whenever it
arises, and is also doing so many good deeds to others as atonement. BUT, the fact
was that jealousy was always rooted inside him, just waiting for a chance to explode.

Naayagan oru azhagaana peNNai kaNdu mayanginaan; avan perum paNakkaaran aanadhaal
avaLudaya petrOrai sulabhamaaga convince paNNi avaLai maNam mudikka nichchayamum
seydhaan. Avanukku oru uyir naNban. Andha naNbanukkum thanakku varappOgum manaivikkum
kaLLa uRavu irukkindradhu endru kELvippattu naayaganum avargaLai sandhEgikka
aarambikka, uLLil idhuvarai adangi irundha poRaamai endra mirugam viswaroopam eduththu
varugiRathu. Than uyir naNbanai kolai seyya andha mirugam thooNdugiRathu; naNbanai
thaniyaaga oru malai uchchikku kootti selgiRaan thaLLivittu kolvadhaRkku. Kolai
seyyap pOgum tharuvaayil avanudaya uyir naNban uNmaiyai sollugiRaan: oru kaalaththil
avanum appeNNum kaadhalargaLaaga irundhadhu uNmai; aanaal, naayagan avaLai virumbugiRaan
endru therindhadhum avaLai naayaganukkaaga vittu koduththuvittaan; avaLum konjam
konjamaaga naNbanai maRandhu naayaganai nEsikka thodangivittaaL!

Indha uNmai therindha nilaiyil naayagan enna seydhaan? Enna seydhaan enbadhai
konjam postpone paNNivittu, enna seydhiruppaan endru aaraaivOmaa? Nam manadhukku
iraNdu solutions thOndra vaayyppirukkiRadhu. Avai enna endru paarppOm.

uNmai enna endru naNban solliyum, naayagan manadhil viswaroopam eduththa poRaamai
ennum mirugam avanai thodarndhu aagramiththu, indha naNban iruppadhu unakku
eppOdhum aabaththuthaan; avanai kondruvidu, adhuthaan unakku nalladhu endru
thooNda, avanum adhanpadi nadandhirukkalaam. I call this as the animal solution.
Naayaganukku idhu nadakkavillai. En? Let us analyze.

Manidhan, poRaamai pOndru manadhil irukkum mirugaththai iraNdu muRaiyil deal paNNalaam.
He can just accept that as a part of him and act whatever that animal instinct asks him
to do. If this had been the case, the animal solution would be the most natural
result.

But, nammudaya naayagan was not so; he had always considered jealousy as a
disease and had been fighting and resisting it all his life. Adhanaal, naNbanidamirundhu
uNmai therindha pin avan, chE chE, ennai indha poRaamai ennum mirugam engkE koNdu
sendruvuttadhu paar endru sindhiththu adhanpadi manidhanaaga seyalpattiruppaan.
(avargaLudaya vaazhkkaiyai patri avan enna mudivu seygiRaan enbadhu ingku mukkiyamalla.
So I will not go into that.) I call this as the human solution. The key thing
to note here is that jealousy is still present in him; indha muRai adhu viswaroopam
eduththa pOthu adhai avan adakkivittaan, avvaLavudhaan; pinnar avan vaazhvil adhu vERu
oru kaaraNaththiRkkaaga paayndhu veLi vara vaayppu irukku innum.

uNmai therindha andha nEraththil avanukku, mElE solliya reNdu solutions-um nadakkavillai.
AppuRam ennadhaan nadandhadhu? naNbanidamirundhu uNmai therindhadhum avan udanE ninaiththaan
(Oh how stupid I have been):

budhdhi kettadhadaa nenjai thottadhadaa
naalum nadandhu mudindha pinnaal nalladhu kettadhu therindhadhadaa

avan vaazhnaaL muzhuvadhum poRaamai-yai resist seydhu manadhilum seyalilum nallavatraiyE
seydhu vandhaanE, avaiyellaam avan manadhil dheyvam vaLarvadhaRkkaaga pOtta viththukkaL.
PoRaamai ennum mirugam viswaroopam eduththu nindra pOdhu, uNmai therindhu, enna
madaththanam seyyavirundhEn endru avan ninaiththa pOdhu, andha instant-il (as JK
says, you can even say that time was not involved here; it happened instantaneously)
avanuL vaLarndhu vandha dheivam innum periya roopam eduththu poRaamai endra mirugaththai
azhiththu saambalaakkiyadhu! He was free of jealousy for ever! This is what they
call as God's Grace or as a spiritual experience, something that cannot
be planned and executed via the mind process! I call this as the divine solution.
As JK says, when there is a snake right in front of you ready to bite and you truly
realize how deadly it is, what do you do? You immediately take action to get rid of it!
This is what happened to him. IdhaRkku Kavinjar azhagaana uvamai kodukkiRaar paadalil.
Soodaana oru sattiyai (compare this with the jealousy-animal which had taken a huge form)
kaiyil pattadhum (he realizes the stupidity of following jealousy), by reflex action you drop
it (he becomes free of jealousy instantaneously):

satti suttadhadaa kai vittadhadaa

Kavinjar follows this with beautiful lines that describe, in a nutshell, what happened
in his mind from birth till now:

paadhi manadhil dheivam irundhu paarththu koNdadhadaa
meedhi manadhil mirugam irundhu aatti vaiththadhadaa
aatti vaiththa mirugam indru adangi vittadhadaa
amaidhi dheivam muzhu manadhil kOyil koNdadhadaa

(Actually I would have preferred the word azhindhu instead of adangi.)

aaravaarap pEygaLellaam Odi vittadhadaa
aalayamaNi Osai nenjil koodivittadhadaa
dharma dhEvan kOvililE oLi thulangudhadaa
manam shaanthi shaanthi shaanthi endru Oyvu kaNdadhadaa

(As said already, spiritual experiences such as this cannot be planned; the are god-given.
So, avanuL irundha poRaamai azhindhadhu kadavuL avanukku koduththa pichchai; andha dheivaththai
dharma dhEvan endru kavinjar solvadhu kuRippida thakkadhu.)

Gnanam endra vaarththaikku Knowledge endru podhuvaaga naam translation
solvadhuNdu; aanaal Gnanam innum aRpudhamaana ondru. Hindu philosophy-yil
Gnannam is used to denote the the ultimate understanding of the Aathman
that comes from a profound spiritual experience. Naayaganukku vandhadhu spiritual
experience (yaanai) enbadhu uNmai; aanaal adhu vandhadhu avanuL irukkum poRaamai
(eRumbu) endra mana nOyai kolla; avanukku muzhu Gnanaththai koduppadhaRkkaaga alla;
after the experience he is not a realized soul or any such thing; it's just
that he got rid of jealousy from the roots! Idhai kuRippida kavinjar thErndheduththa
varigaL:

eRumbu thOlai uriththup paarkka yaanai vandhadhadaa
en idhaya thOlai uriththup paarkka gnanam vandhadhadaa

Being so thrilled at the peace that has come in him, our naayakan further sings:

piRakkum munnE irundha uLLam indru vandhadhadaa
iRandha pinnE varum amaidhi vandhuvittadhadaa

Summarizing, ip paadal sOhap paadal alla. In fact, it is sung by the character
in great happiness, no, actually more, it is in esctacy! Paadalukku kavinjar
Kannadhasan varaindha varigaL aRpudham. Saanthamaana tune pOttu, kadalin alaiyOsaiyum,
aaravaarap pEygaL kaththuvadhaiyum, aalayamaNiyin Osaiyum sariyaana idangaLil izhaya
vittu paadalai unnadhamaaga aakkivittanar mellisai mannargaL; paadalai nalla uNarchchiyudan
paadi asaththivittaar TMS. Padaththil, Shivaji Ganesan-in nadippu indha paadalil avar kaattum muga bhaavanaigaL
pramaadham endrE sollavENdum. Overall, it is a beautiful song perfectly made for a
wonderful situation.

NOV
4th April 2012, 09:26 AM
Can you spot all the celebrities?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/536424_361407800564809_132589456779979_1057495_548 186476_n.jpg

Plum
4th April 2012, 08:51 PM
I see veegopalji - vera yaaru celebrity irukkA? :think:

NOV
5th April 2012, 07:13 AM
:roll:

Chevaliar Sivaji Ganesan
Kavignar Kannadhasan
Mellisai Mannan MSV
Kumarasami Kamaraj
AL Srinivasan
Gemini Ganesan
Dr. J. Jayalalitha
her mother Sandhya
Legend P. Susheela
Anjali Devi
Savithri
Dhevika
Raja Sulochana
V. Gopala Krishnan
KCC Chithan

Shakthiprabha
5th April 2012, 11:06 PM
I did identify almost all.. (that was 2 days back)

except
I still dont know where is devika. Face between vgk and gemini I thought was SHEELA (mallu acrtress)
I could not recognise raja sulochana (though looked familiar)
I did not know al srinivasan
It took solid 3 mins to recognise where is msv, even after u mentioned
I did think its anjali devi, but had second thoughts ( i thought may be sivaji's wife)
I thought man next to kamaraj was someone like sp muthuraman or the like
Who is k.c. chitan and where is he?
Who is next to kannathasan who looks like moopanar?

ofcourse rest I identified :ashamed:

madhu
6th April 2012, 10:05 AM
Power...

neengale ippadi sollalaama ?

Shakthiprabha
6th April 2012, 11:17 AM
What happ? is it mandatory that a persno should know kcc chitan?

:confused:

I really could not place person next to kannathasan.

lydayaxobia493
6th April 2012, 11:22 AM
I really could not place person next to kannathasan.

i think u r rong.. Vairamuthu is next to kannadasan in present day..

Shakthiprabha
6th April 2012, 11:22 AM
I think there is lack of clarity in what I posted. Let me brief it this way.

I already (3 days back) IDENTIFIED.

Sivaji
Gemini ganesan
Savithri
JJ
Sandhya
PS
Kamaraj
Kannathasan
Anjali thevi (i also thought it may eb sivaji' sife ...but clear after nov's post)
v gopala krishnan
__

after nov answerd
I COULD SPOT

al srinivasan
rajasulochana (though familiar I failed to recognise her..shame on me)
devika :roll: ( I assume the only lady left, standing next to gemini...and I thought its sheela or someone else)

I still COULD NOT PLACE (as of now)

Who is KCC chittan? and where is he in the pic?
Who is the person next to kannathasan (who looks like moopanar) ?
Who is the person next to kamaraj (I find him too familiar....) (some producer or director i am sure :oops: ) ?

avlo thaan.

now someone clarify only the last 3 queries which I did not place..

NOV
11th June 2012, 09:37 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/598733_10150882511063801_269760053_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/5692_121079313800_8260039_n.jpg

NOV
26th September 2012, 08:00 PM
Kavignar with his grandson... what a simple man!

http://sphotos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/561480_477369175628258_88476163_n.jpg

kalnayak
11th October 2012, 06:44 PM
i think u r rong.. Vairamuthu is next to kannadasan in present day..

போட்டோ படத்துல கூட கண்ணதாசன் கிட்ட வைரமுத்து நிக்கலை -ன்னு யாரும் சொல்லப்போறாங்க!!!

NOV
16th October 2012, 05:40 PM
Astro Vellithirai celebrates Kannadhasan's anniversary tomorrow:

Maalaiyitta Mangai
Sivagangai Seemai
Kavalai Illadha Manidhan

Saravanan writes in TFM Page in 2004:

‘thendral vandhu veesaadhO’ from Sivagangai Seemai. Sung by S.Varalakshmi & T.S. Bagavathi. Lyrics by Kannadasan. Music by Viswanathan-Ramamoorthi.

Kannadasan Productions’ Sivagangai Seemai- 1959 was Kannadasan’s labour of love, He wrote the script & lyrics; and produced the film. It was his second venture in the wake of the success of Maalaiyitta Mangai the previous year. Sivagangai Seemai was directed by K.Shankar, and had a talented star cast led by T.K.Bagavathi, SSR, P.S.Veerappa, S.Varalakshmi, Kumari Kamala, M.N.Rajam and others.

Much has been discussed in these pages about Sivagangai Seemai- that Kannadasan embarked on this project as a challenge to Sivaji’s Veerapandiya Kattabomman which was also being made at the same time, and this flamed further the simmering animosity between Kannadasan and Sivaji. Unfortunately for Kannadasan, Sivagangai Seemai was consigned back to the cans within no time of its release while the successful Veerapandiya Kattabomman was acclaimed as a magnum opus. Kannadasan ended up with a huge financial loss.

Sivagangai Seemai might have been a failure, but it was surely a failure that made history. For it remains among the best historical films made in Tamil. Kannadasan's native soil was the canvas, and he was familiar with its history and geography. He had a keen sense of the period, and his passion ensured that Sivagangai Seemai was much more than a commonplace costume drama. The film is immortal for another irrefutable factor- its wonderful songs.

Kannadasan had not written mere situational lyrics here, the lines pulsate with poetic magnificence. Each song ought to be savored conscientiously, for the sheer poetry bedecked in V-R’s imaginative tunes, feelingly rendered by a galaxy of talented singers, fetches this album a place of pride in the annals of tfm.

The film had 16 songs in all:

Saanthu pottu thalalanga - P.Leela, Jamunarani & chorus
Veerargal vaazhum Dravidar naattai vendravar kidaiyaadhu -TMS
Muthu pugazh padaithu - S. Varalakshmi & (Radha)Jayalakshmi
Kottu melam kottungadi kummi kotti paadungadi- Jikki & chorus
Chinna china chittu Sivagangaiyai vittu- Jamunarani & chorus
Vaigai perugivara- C.S.Jayaraman & P.Leela
Maruvirukkum (traditional verse) - V.N.Sundaram
Aalikkum kaigal (one verse) -V.N.Sundaram
Kannankaruthaa Kili kattazhagan thotta kili - P. Leela & chorus
Kanavu kandaen (happy) - TMS & T.S.Bagavathi
Thanimai naerndhadho - S.Varalakshmi
Thendral vandhu veesaadho - S. Varalakshmi & T.S.Bagavathi
Megam kuvindhadhamma - PS
Sivagangai cheemai -TMS, Seergazhi Govindarajan, A.P.Komala & chorus
Vidiyum vidiyum endrirundhoam - T.S.Bagavathi
Kanavu kandaen (pathos)- T.S.Bagavathi

Circa the last years of the eighteenth century---

The (East India) Company is gradually establishing its complete control of the land using its crafty ‘divide and rule’ policy to subjugate the local chieftains and rulers.

Kattabomman had just been vanquished and hung from a roadside tamarind tree.

Oomaithurai, Kattabomman's brother escapes from the Company's penitentiary and seeks refuge with the Marudu brothers (elder played by T.K.Bagavathi, and the younger played by Mustafa)

The Marudu brothers were Poligars (or PaalaiyakaarargaL/ Feudal Chiefs) who were ruling what was known as Sivagangai Seemai..(consisting of Thekkoor, Okkoor, Siruvayal, Poongudi, Tirupattoor, Narikkudi, Tirumayam, Mukkulam, Naalukottai and Nattarasankottai).

The Company gets a hint of Oomaithurai’s whereabouts and Major Welsh (played by Wahab Kashmiri) comes to arrest Oomaithurai.The Marudu brothers realize the strength of the company's army and ammunition...and do not want an open confrontation. They plead for Oomaithurai's life.

But Major Welsh does not set much store by dignity or respect; and in the very presence of the Marudu brothers make bold to arrest Oomaithurai.This brings matters to a boiling point-- in the film, S.S.R, called Muthazhagu, the fiery army chief of the brothers, has been purveying inflammatory remarks all the while -- in time the younger Marudhu is also provoked into challenging the Company's men--

Welsh and co. beat a hasty retreat, but make no secret of the action against the Marudhu brothers that is sure to follow. The senior Marudhu in fact chastises the younger for precipitating the state into war.

It is at this juncture, when the rumble of the white man’s guns seem imminent, when turbulent clouds of war loom threateningly...and the feudal land and its traditions seem on the verge of being annexed by the almighty Union Jack...that the Marudhu brothers’ wives sing this heartrending lullaby to their babes.. the infants who are blissfully unaware of the historical forces that are crisscrossing their destinies. This lullaby is sung in the shadow of the clash between sword and gun...You know which is set to win...

The lullaby, sung by S.Varalakshmi and T.S.Bhagavathi, was picturised on S.Varalakshmi and Tambaram Lalitha (if I remember right)--they are the wives of the Marudu brothers.

We’ll keep for another day dwelling at length on Varalakshmi (she was the enchanting common factor to both Veerapandiya Kattabomman and Sivagangai Seemai) and Bagavathi (a favorite singer of Kannadasan, he had her sing ‘Annaiyin naattai pagaivargal soozhndaar’ in Maalaiyitta Mangai and ‘Kannodu vin pesum jaadai’ in Kavalai Illadha Manithan). in fact both these gifted singers find laudatory references in Kannadasan’s Sandhithen Sindhithen.

Kannadasan lives on in songs such as these. Though a fire-spewing Dravidian orator at that time, his essential humanity and aversion to blood and gore came through in this lullaby and he expressed it in sublime pathos!

Many of us would have been struck with gloom at each reading of the lines ’Rose a nurse of ninety years, set his child upon her knee - Like summer tempest came her tears-‘Sweet my child, I live for thee.’ (Alfred, Lord Tennyson/ Home They Brought Her Warrior Dead); admiration tinged with sorrow would have overcome us when we read ‘“You ’re wounded!” “Nay,” the soldier’s pride touch’d to the quick, he said: “I ’m kill’d, Sire!” And his chief beside, smiling the boy fell dead’ (Robert Browning/ Incident Of The French Camp); we would have been plagued with despair at ‘Two noble sons fell by their guns, their names in glory shine; And a mother weeps on the River Thames, and a mother weeps on the Rhine’ (Eric Bogle / The Thames And The Rhine); but ‘thendral vandhu veesaadhO’ is in a league of its own--each line is redolent with poignant lyrical beauty, and moves the listener to moist eyes, and to sigh at the futility of war and the wanton devastation that it brings in its wake--

The two women wonder wistfully whether tranquil times will visit their abode ever again--they sing musingly of the rich culture, glorious traditions and ancient history of their land and speculate if all this would be snatched away by the war, and express helplessness over the deprivations that their children may have to endure. The highpoint is of course, Varalakshmi’s emotional cascade, proclaiming with pride the courage of their warriors who are to take leave of their womenfolk and children and march on to the warfront, at the same time she tremulously expresses apprehension about their fate, whether their valiant men would return from the battlefront, or perish fighting for their land--

RAGHAVENDRA
16th October 2012, 11:15 PM
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6213/6340880822_44dbd43f3f.jpg

கவியரசரின் கடைசிப் பாடலை இசையமைத்த இசைஞானி இளையராஜா கூறுவதைக் கேளுங்கள்

http://youtu.be/fQ_HHdRHq8k

இந்தப் பாடலின் ஒரிஜினல் வீடியோ

http://youtu.be/H2WUTmlAv7g

கேட்கும் போதே நெஞ்சை உருக்கும் குரலில் என்ன அருமையான பாடல் .... ஜென்சியின் குரல் உயிரில் அல்லவா ஊடுருவுகிறது.

NOV
20th March 2013, 06:59 AM
http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/208887_511480705577984_151769045_n.jpg

mahendra raj
6th May 2013, 09:13 PM
Hi Everybody, is this thread still active? I hope to share some additional stories of Kaviarasar which I was privy to when I was in Chennai just recently.

NOV
24th June 2013, 06:42 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-hidQ1RA8sC4/UOBmV_lZYEI/AAAAAAAADig/7B-jePXKwz4/s1600/best+line+kaviarasu+kannadasan.jpg

He would have been 86 today!
thamizh mannin pokkisham 54 vayadhilE maraindhadhu.... neer vanangum kannanukku appadi ennathaan avasaramO :cry:

NOV
24th June 2013, 06:48 AM
Malaysia's Astro Vellithirai celebrates the great Kavignar by featuring these films today:

Malai Itta Mangai, Sivagangai Seemai, Kavalai Illatha Manithan and Vanampadi

Gopal.s
24th June 2013, 09:01 AM
கண்ணதாசன் நல்ல வசனகர்த்தா கூட. ஆனால் காலம் அவரை பாரதியாரின் தொடர்ச்சியாக்கி விட்டது.

omeuforivo
24th June 2013, 09:05 AM
Malaysia's Astro Vellithirai celebrates the great Kavignar by featuring these films today:

Malai Itta Mangai, Sivagangai Seemai, Kavalai Illatha Manithan and Vanampadi

what time sir..?

NOV
24th June 2013, 09:36 AM
what time sir..?oh, neenga malaysiaraa? :)

10.30am - Vaanampadi
2:30 pm - Kavalai Illatha Manithan
6:00 pm - Sivaganggai Seemai

RAGHAVENDRA
24th June 2013, 10:17 AM
தமிழ் இலக்கியத்தின் மகுடத்தில் மற்றோர் மாணிக்கம் கவியரசர் கண்ணதாசன். அவர் புகழ் வாழ்க

Gopal.s
24th June 2013, 10:53 AM
ஆனால் கண்ணதாசனின் சிறந்த பட வசனங்கள் எல்லாம் 50களில் வந்தவையே.

NOV
24th June 2013, 04:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICSeUl6j66E

ஒரு கோப்பையிலே என் குடியிருப்பு - ink bottle
ஒரு கோலமயில் என் துனையிருப்பு - pen
இசைபாடலிலே என் உயிர்துடிப்பு - kavithai

Brianengab
24th June 2013, 08:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eHrgWUAEB6k

omeuforivo
25th June 2013, 07:35 AM
oh, neenga malaysiaraa? :)

10.30am - Vaanampadi
2:30 pm - Kavalai Illatha Manithan
6:00 pm - Sivaganggai Seemai
Thank you.

mahendra raj
6th July 2013, 09:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICSeUl6j66E

ஒரு கோப்பையிலே என் குடியிருப்பு - ink bottle
ஒரு கோலமயில் என் துனையிருப்பு - pen
இசைபாடலிலே என் உயிர்துடிப்பு - kavithai

I must have seen this movie an umpteen times nebut only recently when it was aired in the Malaysian satellite station did I notice what a masterpiece it was. The whole film boasts of originality, save for the war footages lifted from Hollywood movies. But the lifted war footages were so realistic that it was as though shot for Karuppu Panam, The camera work was excellent and the Peking settings were too good to be believed. The Chinese characters appeared original without the usual expected unnatural accent.

Nagesh, who was a budding comedian, unbelievably portrayed himself as a seasoned actor.

Savithri lived her role as a China-born Indian and what a surprise to see her crooning away a full-length English song. I thought it was Usha Uduo who was the first Southerner to sing English songs. Savithri's lip movements for this song was very natural. To know that this versatile actress did not give the expected cooperation to Kaviarasu Kannadhasan while filming was in progress is quite hard to digest. Her off-screen husband, Gemini Ganesh who was a buddy of Kaviarasar had to apologise for her erratic attitude. And to know further that she, along with Chandrababu who also did not cooperate in the climax shooting of 'Kavalai Illatha Manithan', were close buddies in the later stages of their respective lives. Yes, they were known to share the pethadine drug whenever one or two amongst them ran short of stock.

Last but not least, Shivaji ought to have been awarded the national award for his outstanding performance as a patriot-cum-military commandant. No other actor could have portrayed this role except for Shivaji. One particular scene where a war-of-words takes place between the Indian and Chinese army top brass ((Shivaji and Shanmugasundram) is worthy of mention. The calling of names by the two at each other was realistic.

The present Indo-Sino border tension proves that Kannadhasan was a seer as the dialogues which were written more than half a century ago still seems relevant in the current context.

I believe this must be the only Tamil film to have a lengthy English classical drama. The dialogues, body language and lip movements by both Shivaji and Savithri were as though they were acting in an English film. The English accent was not faked and therefore it was like the real-life Shakespeare's Othello in action.

Perhaps Kaviarasu Kannadhasan wanted to prove a point to his erstwhile 'buddy' Kalaignar Karunanidhi that he can prove his mettle even in English literature drama. The bad blood between the both of them first started in the mid fifties when Kaviarasar who was interned in jail for a political infringement. He wrote a short literature drama, besides the story and dialogues, for inclusion in the film 'Illara Jothi' and passed it to Karunanidhi through an emissary for fairing the draft scripts. But the latter took upon himself and claimed credits in the main titles of this film.

Kaviarasar invited Kamraj for a private screening of 'Raktha Thilagam' and at the end of the show sought the latter's opinion. Kamraj candidly told him that the film was too lengthy and suggested that the running time be cut by half. Only later did Kaviarasar realize that this was the first ever film to be seen by Kamraj in his lifetime!

This movie was banned by the Malaysian Government when it was released in 1963. The reasons proffered were that it will not bode well with the harmonious Malaysian Chinese-Indian relations. Only in 1980 was the ban lifted but by then the film was almost forgotten and there was this new wave engulfing the trends in Tamil films. People were less interested in patriotic themes and black & white movies. Hence the movie had a short run only.

When the songs were first aired over the Malaysian broadcast media in 1963 many thought that the song 'Our Koppaiyile En Kudiyiruppu' was by Shivaji. When it was subsequently revealed that it was the producer-cum-lyricist of the movie who appeared more interests were generated just to see how he fared.

When he is being introduced as an ex-student of the alma mater who will be singing a page out of Omar Khayyam the camera slowly pans to take a close-up shot from a long range. It was a novelty to see him in a fully-attired western suit but not many would have noticed a minor but glaring shortcoming. He was wearing slippers instead of shoes!

If at all any song would have been given post-mortems over and over again it must have been this piece. Many accused Kaviarasar for being a braggart and equating himself to Omar Khayyam and God. Some also gave their own interpretations of the meanings of 'kopay' and 'kola mayyil' like the ink well and peacock feather. But in the midst of all Kaviarasar just played cool. I presume he must still be enjoying the immortal lines he penned in this song for himself, literally, even after his death more than three decades ago.

Ironically, the film 'Rani Samyuktha' which had story and dialogues by Kaviarasar was banned by the then Malayan authorities as it was deemed to be injurious to the Muslim-Hindu relations in a multicultural and plural society like Malaya. That was in 1960. Then in 1965 Kaviarasar's 'Karuppu Panam' was also banned. The song 'Ellorum Ellaamum Peravendum' was totally banned by the Malaysian broadcast authorities as it was seen as propagating socialist and communist ideologies.

Again, to think that it was Kaviarasar's song 'Munthaanai thanthaalam' (Nenjam Marapithillai) which was chosen to be performed as the Indian cultural song and dance item in front of a grand official parade with the king and prime minister as chief guests on the day (13.9.1963) Malaya became Malaysia!

In conclusion, 'Raktha Thilagam' is full of nostalgia for me. It is my hope that it will be accorded the classic status for its all-time relevance and outstanding production.

masanam
6th July 2013, 09:31 PM
Mahendra Raj Sir

Your nostalgic write-up about Raththa thilagam is superb.

Gopal.s
7th July 2013, 11:44 PM
What a coincidence Mr.Mahendra Raj!! I just wrote about this Othello play in Ratha thilagam in my "Indiavin Ore Ulagaga athisayam" covering larger than life Roles of Nadigarthilagam. Yours is eloquent and nice write-up.

NOV
8th July 2013, 06:36 AM
:sigh2:
amazing write up by Mahendra... now I want to re visit the film again :p

mahendra raj
10th July 2013, 10:46 PM
PADITHAAL MATTUM POTHUMA

Just as I was reeling with the pleasant after effects of 'Raktha Thilagam' another blockbuster which was screened by Star Vijay TV last night in the Astro satellite station has prompted me to write another nostalgic piece. 'Padithaal Mattum Pothuma' was the memory jogger. What a classic!

First the trivia. I remember vividly when it was playing to full house in the Coliseum cinema (it is still in service) in Kuala Lumpur way back in 1962 the film's distributors gave away match boxes as door gifts to patrons. What is so unique about that you may ask. The match boxes had ' Padithaal Mattum Pothumaa' publicity labels affixed instead of the manufacturer's brand label! To my memory there had been no such a publicity campaign for any films, Hollywood included. I mean the novelty in advertising a film in safety matchboxes and converting it to door gifts to patrons and a Tamil film at that. Anyway, I presume it must have been handed out as souvenirs since why should any patron need such an enticement wherein fact he or she is already in the theatre to see it.

And here comes the mother of the story.

The film distributors also held a contest asking patrons to identify whether it was Shivaji or Savithri who caused the death of Balaji. An announcement was made in the Tamil media that the contest has been closed and the panel of judges will choose the winners shortly. A pleasant surprise awaited patrons who had gathered to watch the evening show and also to hear out the names of the contest winners. The chief guest was none other than Shivaji Ganesan himself!

After appearing on stage and presenting he gave a short impromptu speech. News of his presence spread like wild fire and soon the whole area was filled to brim requiring the urgent presence of police personnel for crowd control. It was a surprise to see Chinese, Malay, North Indians and Eurasians in large numbers besides the massive Tamil crowd. (The late Raj Kapoor also made a scheduled visit to this theatre in 1972 when his film 'Mera Naam Joker' played but the crowd present was just a fraction of Shivaji's although the former was internationally popular).

Actually Shivaji was en route to the US from the Cairo film festival where he made history by being the first Afro Asian award winner for 'Veerapaandiya Kattabomman'. While he was in Kuala Lumpur he had an audience with the then Prime Minister and other dignitaries. One sad incident marred his otherwise pleasant maiden trip to the then Malaya. A Malaysian of Sri Lankan Tamil descent died in a mishap while on his way to the Kuala Lumpur International airport based in Sungei Besi then to be part of the anxious crowd to receive Shivaji. It was raining heavily which caused the electric pole to collapse on the road when this unfortunate chap became victim to the live wires.

When this unforeseen mishap was conveyed to Shivaji upon his arrival he immediately condoled and consoled the grieving family members although not in person. This news was splashed in all the main stream papers the following day. During his short stay in Kuala Lumpur he was obviously the talk of the town.

When he went down south to Singapore it was reported in the press that he will be committing to act in a local Malay film with the reigning heroine at that time, Maria Menado. I still remember vividly the make-up artiste doing the touch-up on Shivaji's face who was in a full Malay traditional bridegroom costume with Maria Menado by his side. That photograph which was published in the media was the talk of Singapore. Prior to this Shammi Kapoor donned the Malay attire for the Hindi movie 'Singapore' which had Padmini as the heroine and shot extensively in Singapore. But, thereafter no news were forthcoming and it was assumed that the project has been dropped.

And now back to 'Padithaal Mattum Pothuma'.

Barring 'Pathi Bhakti' and 'Bandha Paasam' all films of Bhimsing starting with the sentimental 'Pa' series had Kaviarasu Kannadhasan as the lyricist and of course, Viswanathan Ramamurthy for the music score, not forgetting the protagonist, Shivaji Ganesan. In my opinion, 'Padithaal Mattum Pothuma' was the best in the series. Although it was the lesser amongst the others like 'Paalum Pazhamum' and 'Paava Mannippu' which became colossal success nevertheless My personal vote will go to 'Padithaal Mattum Pothuma' for its superb production and a heavily-studded star cast who all played out their roles diligently.

Fresh from leaving the DMK which he co-founded Kannadhasan's heart was still with its charismatic leader, Annadurai. It was an open secret that Karunanidhi and his clique were the prime reason for him to abruptly to leave the party. He was annoyed and dismayed the way he was treated in the party's fold. He was even more pissed off with the hypocrisy of the party's commanders. 'Padithaal Mattum Pothuma' provided the impetus for him to vent his frustrations.

The title song 'Oho oho Manithargalae' was a direct criticism aimed at DMK leaders and 'Annan Kaatiye Vazhiamma' was a subtle reference to Annadurai. In both these hit songs Shivaji excelled himself. If he had had horseback songs prior to this they were in period films. How refreshing to see him riding a horse in a social film!

mahendra raj
10th July 2013, 11:23 PM
PADITHAAL MATTUM POTHUMA

Just as I was reeling with the pleasant after effects of 'Raktha Thilagam' another blockbuster which was screened by Star Vijay TV last night in the Astro satellite station has prompted me to write another nostalgic piece. 'Padithaal Mattum Pothuma' was the memory jogger. What a classic!

First the trivia. I remember vividly when it was playing to full house in the Coliseum cinema (it is still in service) in Kuala Lumpur way back in 1962 the film's distributors gave away match boxes as door gifts to patrons. What is so unique about that you may ask. The match boxes had ' Padithaal Mattum Pothumaa' publicity labels affixed instead of the manufacturer's brand label! To my memory there had been no such a publicity campaign for any films, Hollywood included. I mean the novelty in advertising a film in safety matchboxes and converting it to door gifts to patrons and a Tamil film at that. Anyway, I presume it must have been handed out as souvenirs since why should any patron need such an enticement wherein fact he or she is already in the theatre to see it.

And here comes the mother of the story.

The film distributors also held a contest asking patrons to identify whether it was Shivaji or Savithri who caused the death of Balaji. An announcement was made in the Tamil media that the contest has been closed and the panel of judges will choose the winners shortly. A pleasant surprise awaited patrons who had gathered to watch the evening show and also to hear out the names of the contest winners. The chief guest was none other than Shivaji Ganesan himself!

After appearing on stage and presenting he gave a short impromptu speech. News of his presence spread like wild fire and soon the whole area was filled to brim requiring the urgent presence of police personnel for crowd control. It was a surprise to see Chinese, Malay, North Indians and Eurasians in large numbers besides the massive Tamil crowd. (The late Raj Kapoor also made a scheduled visit to this theatre in 1972 when his film 'Mera Naam Joker' played but the crowd present was just a fraction of Shivaji's although the former was internationally popular).

Actually Shivaji was en route to the US from the Cairo film festival where he made history by being the first Afro Asian award winner for 'Veerapaandiya Kattabomman'. While he was in Kuala Lumpur he had an audience with the then Prime Minister and other dignitaries. One sad incident marred his otherwise pleasant maiden trip to the then Malaya. A Malaysian of Sri Lankan Tamil descent died in a mishap while on his way to the Kuala Lumpur International airport based in Sungei Besi then to be part of the anxious crowd to receive Shivaji. It was raining heavily which caused the electric pole to collapse on the road when this unfortunate chap became victim to the live wires.

When this unforeseen mishap was conveyed to Shivaji upon his arrival he immediately condoled and consoled the grieving family members although not in person. This news was splashed in all the main stream papers the following day. During his short stay in Kuala Lumpur he was obviously the talk of the town.

When he went down south to Singapore it was reported in the press that he will be committing to act in a local Malay film with the reigning heroine at that time, Maria Menado. I still remember vividly the make-up artiste doing the touch-up on Shivaji's face who was in a full Malay traditional bridegroom costume with Maria Menado by his side. That photograph which was published in the media was the talk of Singapore. Prior to this Shammi Kapoor donned the Malay attire for the Hindi movie 'Singapore' which had Padmini as the heroine and shot extensively in Singapore. But, thereafter no news were forthcoming and it was assumed that the project has been dropped.

And now back to 'Padithaal Mattum Pothuma'.

Barring 'Pathi Bhakti' and 'Bandha Paasam' all films of Bhimsing starting with the sentimental 'Pa' series had Kaviarasu Kannadhasan as the lyricist and of course, Viswanathan Ramamurthy for the music score, not forgetting the protagonist, Shivaji Ganesan. In my opinion, 'Padithaal Mattum Pothuma' was the best in the series. Although it was the lesser amongst the others like 'Paalum Pazhamum' and 'Paava Mannippu' which became colossal success nevertheless My personal vote will go to 'Padithaal Mattum Pothuma' for its superb production and a heavily-studded star cast who all played out their roles diligently.

Fresh from leaving the DMK which he co-founded Kannadhasan's heart was still with its charismatic leader, Annadurai. It was an open secret that Karunanidhi and his clique were the prime reason for him to abruptly to leave the party. He was annoyed and dismayed the way he was treated in the party's fold. He was even more pissed off with the hypocrisy of the party's commanders. 'Padithaal Mattum Pothuma' provided the impetus for him to vent his frustrations.

The title song 'Oho oho Manithargalae' was a direct criticism aimed at DMK leaders and 'Annan Kaatiye Vazhiamma' was a subtle reference to Annadurai. In both these hit songs Shivaji excelled himself. If he had had horseback songs prior to this they were in period films. How refreshing to see him riding a horse in a social film!

Something is wrong with this post as it is incomplete although I had written lengthily. Will try and recollect what I wrote and post later. Dear Administrator, anyway for retrieving the actual text? If it is not possible I will continue tomorrow. Thanks,

Murali Srinivas
10th July 2013, 11:51 PM
Dear Mr. Mahendra Raj,

We and that includes myself and fellow Sivaji fans, were a bit nonplussed or should I say a bit put off by your not so positive comments on Sivaji in the recent past and were wondering what made you to write such things. That prompted some of our friends to protest vehemently and well that was a bit unpleasant.

But now with two stellar posts in this section you have made amends and let me tell you that both the write ups are excellent. When a write up is interspersed with real time happenings it becomes more interesting to read and your narration of Nadigar Thilagam's visit to Kuala Lumpur with all minute details adds special flavour. What adds spice is, this particular visit to Malaysia by Sivaji had not been reported widely in the media at that point of time, it seems.

Just one nit picking. He was not en route to Cairo for the Asia African Film Festival. That was in 1960. Whereas Padithal Mattum Pothumaa was released on 14th April 1962. Sivaji on special invitation from the US Government had left for a tour of US in March 1962 and probably when he was returning must have visited Kuala Lumpur.

Was just thinking probably that you are not aware of the main thread dedicated to Nadigar Thilagam in our Forum, where we discuss A-Z of his Films. Though some of our friends hinted to you regarding the main thread, probably you didn't notice. It is there in the Tamil Films Section and the link is http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?10385-Nadigar-Thilagam-Sivaji-Ganesan-Part-11. Please visit there for further discussions.

Thanks once again!

Regards

mahendra raj
11th July 2013, 08:24 PM
Dear Mr. Mahendra Raj,

We and that includes myself and fellow Sivaji fans, were a bit nonplussed or should I say a bit put off by your not so positive comments on Sivaji in the recent past and were wondering what made you to write such things. That prompted some of our friends to protest vehemently and well that was a bit unpleasant.

But now with two stellar posts in this section you have made amends and let me tell you that both the write ups are excellent. When a write up is interspersed with real time happenings it becomes more interesting to read and your narration of Nadigar Thilagam's visit to Kuala Lumpur with all minute details adds special flavour. What adds spice is, this particular visit to Malaysia by Sivaji had not been reported widely in the media at that point of time, it seems.

Just one nit picking. He was not en route to Cairo for the Asia African Film Festival. That was in 1960. Whereas Padithal Mattum Pothumaa was released on 14th April 1962. Sivaji on special invitation from the US Government had left for a tour of US in March 1962 and probably when he was returning must have visited Kuala Lumpur.

Was just thinking probably that you are not aware of the main thread dedicated to Nadigar Thilagam in our Forum, where we discuss A-Z of his Films. Though some of our friends hinted to you regarding the main thread, probably you didn't notice. It is there in the Tamil Films Section and the link is http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?10385-Nadigar-Thilagam-Sivaji-Ganesan-Part-11. Please visit there for further discussions.

Thanks once again!

Regards

Thanks Murali! Actually I wrote a lengthy piece on 'Padithaal Mattum Pothmaa" but what appeared in print was incomplete. Later the whole site could not be accessed until just a few moments ago. Probably some technical problems in the server. I will try to recollect and rewrite the lost text.

Yes, Muraly, I got the years mixed-up. In the bygone era those flying from India to the US will make a stop-over in Malaya (later Malaysia) for re-fueling or changing of planes unlike the present times. Malaysians and Singaporeans were lucky to spot Indian celebrities on transit here. But in Shinaji's case he was on a scheduled visit here en route to the US on an official cultural trip in 1962. It had nothing to do with the Afro-Asian film fest award.

In the meantime, I must reiterate that I am non-partisan when it comes to the two legends. How can I be prejudiced when most of life's values and morality were taught by these two giants along with Kaviarasu Kannadhasan? Most of us grew up with these moral teachers who did a better job than our own parents. Whatever I wrote earlier was my candid comments and it was never my intention to slight Shivaji. I have also made similar comments on MGR and was not countered. I suppose the thread on Shivaji is zealously guarded which was why I was on the receiving end.

Anyway, I am truly impressed by the way the two threads have provided various information across-the-board on the two legends respectively. The filmographies on both with technical, video and audio inputs are worthy of mention. My heartfelt thanks and gratitude to all those hubbers who are really taking efforts to organize it. Keep it up.

Since Kaviarasu Kannadhasan is my genre I would prefer to post my comments here as it is neutral and sincerely I could ill-afford another round of allegations by Shivaji's die-hard fans. Thanks for pointing out the thread, Murali, anyway.

mahendra raj
11th July 2013, 10:18 PM
Something is wrong with this post as it is incomplete although I had written lengthily. Will try and recollect what I wrote and post later. Dear Administrator, anyway for retrieving the actual text? If it is not possible I will continue tomorrow. Thanks,

PADITHAAL MATTUM POTHUMAA -cont.

I still wonder how Shivaji could have concentrated on the lipping of lyrics while simultaneously handling the horse on a lonely jungle path. There was just no flaw and there were less studio back projection. If not for the credit titles appearing during the duration of the song it would have showed the seriousness of this philosophical song.

If at all there is an actor who is capable of exhibiting all his latent talents in just one song it is Shivaji and no one else. Man, how he exhibited all the known human emotions in the song 'Nan Kavinganum Illai'. Incredible!

The other songs viz. 'Pen Ondru Kandeyn' and 'Thannilavu Thenirrakka' (by Mayavanathan) are also popular even to this day but I just could not understand how the song 'Kaalam Seytha Komaalithanathaal' went unnoticed. It had beautiful and meaningful philosophy but some how it never became popular. Probably because it was lipped by lesser known comedians like AVeerappan and Sadhan.

If Kaviarasu Kannadhasan used 'Oho Oho Manithargalae' and 'Annan Kaatiye Vazhiamma' to expose the hypocrisy of the DMK leaders he used 'Nallavan Enakku Naney Nallavan' to highlight his own charisma. And the way Shivaji presented this fast-paced jovially philosophical song on screen with Balaji as his sidekick was truly entertaining. One has to just imagine Kannadhasan in the place of Shivaji and to a certain extent, Balaji mocking the DMK leaders and he or she can get the picture.

Bhimsing must have been experimenting with Shivaji's hairdo from 'Bhaga Pirivinai' and 'Paalum Pazhamum' days I suppose. That may explain why Shivaji was with a partly-henna colored curly tuft which was unheard of those days. Only in recent years did the henna colour became a fashion statement of sorts with the new generation. But that wig stood Shivaji out as the fearless hunter complemented with his bulging belly and stylish walk. My personal opinion is that Shivaji's unique mannerism and styles began from "Padithaal Mattum Pothumaa' if one chooses to ignore carefree prince character in 'Utthamai Putthiran' (1958). Of course he did exhibit styles in earlier,films like 'Andha Naal", 'Pennin Perumai' etc. but they were negative characters which was why people didn't take it seriously.

My humble opinion is that Shivaji was at his best in black & white films and when he had the signature belly which was the butt of jokes once upon a time. Most of his classics were when he had the bulge. And he did battle with the bulge from 'Thangai' (1966) onwards.

Seeing 'Padithaal Mattum Pothuma' was like seeing a present day tv mega serial. It had all the ingredients of a prolonged melodrama but compacted into a three-hour movie. The superb acting by Savithri and Balaji and the supporting cast comprising SV Ranga Rao, SV Sahashranamam, MR Radha, PKannambal, MV Rajamma, Raja Sulochana and Muthuraman were worthy of mention. For comedy AKarunanidhi and Manorama fit the bill which was unrelated to the main storyline. Barring this misfit, 'Padithaal Mattum Pothuma" is one of the best of Bhimsing-Shivaji-Kannadhasan-Viswanathan Ramamurthy combo. Oh! How I miss this immortal combination.

By the way, a cursory head count of the star and crew cast if 'Padithaal Mattum Pothumaa' revealed one sad fact. Except for MSViswanathan and Manorama the rest are no more around.

mahendra raj
3rd September 2013, 04:03 PM
Just saw the re-run of 'Kungumam' (1963) and was quite awed by it. The songs by Kaviarasu Kannadhasan and Panju Arunachalam are down right hits. A mention must be made of the song 'Chinnanjiriya Vanna Paravai'. This was the second song o Panju Arunachalam after 'Manamagale manamagalae vaa vaa' (Saratha 1962). The way Shivaji articulates himself through body language and the perfectly mimed lyrics with the raagas was a sight to behold. It was distinct from other such stage-based songs as he appeared quite comfortable, cool and relaxed throughout the song but without losing his signature gestures. TM Soundrarajan and SJanaki created a masterpiece out of this song. Possibly it was SJanaki's second raaga based innings after 'Singaraaravelanae Deva' (Konjum Salangai 1962).

A mention must be made here about the popularity of the above song in the All India Radio South East Asia Broadcast Section. It was continually the top charter for nearly an year as was evident by the numerous requests for this song. Being an extended play song (about 6 minutes) and before the advent of Long Play records (LP) it was the 78 rpm shellac records which ruled the roost. The names of those who requested for this song will be quite lengthy and listeners will wait patiently for the song to be broadcast. After playing side one of the shellac disc there will be a pause to enable the Announcer (yes, the deejays were known like that those days) to flip it over for the second side to be played. Sometimes a longer pause will cause anxiety to impatient
listeners! There had been occasions when just two songs could be aired in this songs' request programmes due to the lengthy list of the names of the requester. And this song was one of it both in names as well as its length time!.

It is a coincidence to note that Kannadhasan has mentioned the word 'Ilayaraja' in the song 'Poonthotta Kaavalkaara'. As usual Kannadhasan used his life experiences to come out with the gem 'Mayakkam enathu thaayagam' which was related to the song situation. Of course, there were some who attributed the word 'mayakkam' to mean 'intoxication' at the time when the songs were released. In the title song he uses Shivaji's mother's name Rajamani who was always seen in a larger than life kungumam pottu on her forehead. Perhaps, Vaalee must have been inspired by this line to come out with the name of 'Rajalakshmi' (Kamalhassan's mother)for the song 'Kallai kandaal' in 'Dasaavathaaram'. Both 'Kungumam' and 'Dasaavathaaram' were in house productions of Shivaji and Kamal respectively.

The immortal lines towards the end of the song 'Kaalangal thorum thirudargal irunthaar' is something which should be pondered. Kannadhasan implies through his own imitable style that without such 'thieves' the world will not exist. Phew! what a surmise.

It was a sort of precursor to 'Navarathri' (1964) having Shivaji Ganesan in multiple roles. Except for the old man's role with an unnatural protruding white moustache he excelled in the others not forgetting that at certain scenes it was over-dramatic. It cannot be helped since such over dramatic roles were the order of the day The female role, although a bit muscular, was proof enough that Shivaji can do such transgender roles. The stills shown during the title credits were actually from his visitation to the US in 1962.

All in all 'Kungkumam' was popular for Shivaji's multi-faceted roles, KV Mahadevan's music, Kannadhasan and Panju's lyrics and Krishnan Panju's able direction. A random count on the production crew members, yet again, revealed a hard fact - most of them are no more around. Shivaji, SV Ranga Rao, SV Shahasranamam, Nagesh, Muthuraman, MV Rajamma, KV Mahadevan, Kannadhasan, Krishnan and Panchu are amongst those in the 'no more around list'.

Gopal.s
3rd September 2013, 04:39 PM
மகேந்திர ராஜ்,
உங்கள் படித்தால் மட்டும் போதுமா ,ரத்த திலகம் இரண்டுமே அருமை. நான் உங்கள் எழுத்துக்களை ரசித்து வருபவன். தங்களை நான் எதிர்த்த இரண்டு முறையும் தங்கள் எழுத்துக்கள் பிழையான பார்வை கொண்டிருந்ததால்தான். நான் யாரிடமிருந்தும் நீதி கருத்துக்கள் பெறவில்லை. சிவாஜிக்கு நடிப்புக்காகவும்,கவியரசருக்கு கவிதைக்காகவும் கடன் பட்டவன். நீங்கள் எங்கள் திரியை தொடர்ந்திருந்தால் எங்களின் கோணாத சரியான பார்வையை உணர்வீர்கள். எங்கள் திரிக்கே வந்து எழுதுங்கள். நாங்கள் உங்களை தொடர்ந்து ஊக்குவிப்போம்.

mahendra raj
3rd September 2013, 04:55 PM
Thanks Gopal,

Please read this post again as I think something went wrong when most of what I wrote did not appear. I had to edit it and post it again. Will reply you soo. Thanks.

NOV
3rd September 2013, 05:17 PM
I missed out on Kungumam because of Astro + Rain problem :argh:

Anyway, chinnanchiriya vanna paravai is one of my most favourite songs, and I remember searching for the song in Brickfields in the 90s. :lol:
TMS and S. Janaki would literally be competing in singing the song.

And if you had only listened to the song all the time and only later watch the film, surely you will be disappointed with the picturisation (without taking away anyting from Sivaji's acting). The beauty and the competition in the song is not captured in the story-telling. :(

NOV
3rd September 2013, 05:19 PM
Murasu tv is now playing kannan mana nilaiyE thangamE thangam by S Janaki - what a rendition... I think this one precedes the other two songs mentioned by Mahendra Raj.

mahendra raj
3rd September 2013, 09:46 PM
Murasu tv is now playing kannan mana nilaiyE thangamE thangam by S Janaki - what a rendition... I think this one precedes the other two songs mentioned by Mahendra Raj.

Hi Nov,

First things first. How are you seeing Murasu tv from here? Through online? Please do let me know so that I too can enjoy seeing it.

The 'Kannan Mana Nilaiye' song is from 'Deivathin Deivam' which was also released in 1963 same as 'Kungumam'. You may be right about it being the second ragaa song of SJanaki after 'Singaravelanae' (1962) as I think 'Kungumam' was released in late 1963 whereas 'Deivathin Deivam' was much earlier in that year.

You are right again about 'Chinnangiriye' song. It was my favourite too until, oh, ehm, ... I found out that it was not written by Kaviarasu Kannadhasan but by his erstwhile assistant Panchu Arunasalam. The song, athough extended in length, consists of less lyrics but more raagas for picturisation purposes ( consoling myself!). Originally Sirghazhi Govindarajan sang this bit but later Shivaji opted to have TMS replace him. This song was not available in KL and only around the mid seventies did Columbia House obtain it. My brother immediately did a tape recording of that song there. You will not believe that this song was also untraceable in the RTM library. I had to lend mine (the cassette) to them once!

No, although it looks like a competition song it is not so. According to the story line Saradha alone was supposed to go on stage but when she appeared lost for lyrics Shivaji makes an impromptu move to assist her. The whole picturisation looks like Shivaji is complementing Saradha and not competing her. Although it does appear that both TMS and SJ are going for each other's throat (pardon the pun) it looks more like a song from a guru to his disciple teaching the nuances of singing in raagas. Perhaps, you are mistaken for the song 'Aan Kaviyai Vella Vandha Penn Kaviye Varuga' (Vaanambadi 1963 too!) which is a competition song alright. But, then again looking from your perspective of the assumption of it being a competition song in the audio but proved a disappointment in the picturisation can also be right especially towards the tail end.

mahendra raj
3rd September 2013, 10:19 PM
மகேந்திர ராஜ்,
உங்கள் படித்தால் மட்டும் போதுமா ,ரத்த திலகம் இரண்டுமே அருமை. நான் உங்கள் எழுத்துக்களை ரசித்து வருபவன். தங்களை நான் எதிர்த்த இரண்டு முறையும் தங்கள் எழுத்துக்கள் பிழையான பார்வை கொண்டிருந்ததால்தான். நான் யாரிடமிருந்தும் நீதி கருத்துக்கள் பெறவில்லை. சிவாஜிக்கு நடிப்புக்காகவும்,கவியரசருக்கு கவிதைக்காகவும் கடன் பட்டவன். நீங்கள் எங்கள் திரியை தொடர்ந்திருந்தால் எங்களின் கோணாத சரியான பார்வையை உணர்வீர்கள். எங்கள் திரிக்கே வந்து எழுதுங்கள். நாங்கள் உங்களை தொடர்ந்து ஊக்குவிப்போம்.

Hi Gopal,

Thanks for the compliments and invitation to post it on Shivaji's Thread. As intimated to you very much earlier I am a neutral fan of all things Indian cinema. I grew up with it just like the other senior hubbers which is why I get sentimental each time I see a classic. In my haste to post my candid comments I may unwittingly write my personal opinions which might be seen as offensive to either the Shivaji or MGR diehard fans. I was badly mauled once so why take the risk in going into the lion's den again? That is why I prefer to write in Kaviarasu Kannadhasan's thread. Of course, you are at liberty to cut and paste it there if you think it is worth its salt and I have no objections. To me, MGR, Shivaji, Gemini, Kannadhasan and Ravichandran are all stalwarts whom I admire for their individual artistic talents. I do not belong to any camps as alleged but my undying passion for Kannadhasan is an exemption in this context.

Whilst writing this piece I took a break because the song Kaviarasar Kannadhasan's 'Oru Muthaarathil Muppathu Muthu Seythuvachieindheyn' (Sorgam 1971) was being aired in Kalaignar TV. I can bet my last dollar that no other male Tamil artiste, whether living or dead, can match Shivaji's sudden transformation from a sober to a drunk person within a span of just two minutes into a song. His innocent and naive-looking eyes prior to discreetly imbibing the scotch turns bloodshot almost instantly. From a steady person to a stupor character all within 3 minutes. My God, only the one and only Shivaji can perform that transformation at ease!

NOV
4th September 2013, 06:48 AM
Thanks Mahendra Raj
I watch murasu tv online... the link opens up every time I switch on the PC :lol:
No streaming, no downloading... it plays straight away. Enjoy!

http://tamiltv.tv/murasu-tv-live/

mahendra raj
4th September 2013, 04:21 PM
Thanks Mahendra Raj
I watch murasu tv online... the link opens up every time I switch on the PC :lol:
No streaming, no downloading... it plays straight away. Enjoy!

http://tamiltv.tv/murasu-tv-live/

Thanks NOV,

I will tinker with my pc later and let u know the results!

Gopal.s
4th September 2013, 04:53 PM
I tried and got it. Thanks NOV.

NOV
4th September 2013, 05:01 PM
Enjoy non-stop oldies, friends! :thumbsup:

mahendra raj
6th September 2013, 10:27 PM
Thanks NOV,

I will tinker with my pc later and let u know the results!

Thanks NOV, I accessed it at the first go itself.

mahendra raj
7th September 2013, 12:14 AM
NEETHI

Yesterday I got to watch a re-run of 'Neethi' (1973) and I will be failing in my duty if I do not comment about it.

'Neethi' is synonymous with that immortal 'Naalai Mudhal Kudikkamataen' song of Kaviarasar Kannadhasan which background story is well known. In case you don't it goes like this - Producer-cum-actor KBalajee screened the Hindi version 'Dushman' to enable Kannadhasan to grasp the songs' situation and thence to write the lyrics. When Balajee saw the lyrics he disputed by saying that in the original version the protagonist Rajesh Khanna gives up drinking on the spot. To this, Kannadhasan candidly told him that human weakness is such that anyone contemplating to give up drinking will only do so after imbibing the last drop from the bottle so as to start a new sober life. Balajee agreed and the rest is history.

Surprisingly, MSViswanathan, the MD of this film is giving a different version in media interviews about this song. He claims that he was the one who argued with Kannadhasan over the opening lines. He even forgot about what he wrote in 'Ananda Vikatan' in a serialized article way back in the early nineties. Perhaps, age is catching up on him and we should not make an issue out of it.

When Kaviarasu Kannadhasan visited Malaysia around the time of release of this film the and at public functions he was repeatedly asked to sing this song. The author obliged and sang it in his own imitable style. Such was the popularity of this song. Incidentally it was banned by the Malaysian public media broadcast authorities as it was seen as demeaning God.

'Maapillayai Paartukodi Mynahkutti' is another fast-paced ghazal-type number which was popular for some time but faded into oblivion with the advent of newer songs. In this song Kaviarasar has jocularly pointed out the evils of drinking with the line 'saarayam poye vilunthaal aaraya budhi illai'. Who else can write like this except for Kannadhasan on this age-old issue?

We can see a direct reference to Kamraj in the song 'Engalathu Boomi' although Kovai Soundrarajan's voice was not that suitable for Shivaji. Of course, in later films the audience accepted him (Kovai Soundrarajn) for Shivaji. . It was surprising to see Chandrababu doing a dance and singing in his own voice for this song. He was ailing quite badly at that period of time but nevertheless did a wonderful job despite his frail and pathetic figure. He used to be a close friend of Balajee since his younger days and that could be the reason the latter used him in 'Neethi' as well as 'Raja' (1972) to help him out of his financial straits.

MRR Vasu's scenes remind a bit of 'Pattikaada Pattanama' (1972) and 'Thyagam' (1979) when we see it in the present times. He has springy legs which is why he can hardly stand still in any scenes of all films where he acts. Even his own father MR Radha commented about this peculiar habit in a scene from 'Thaayai Kaatha Thanayan' (1962) - the first and last film they acted together. I doubt Aroordasss wrote such a snide dialogue. It must have be uttered by MR Radha in an impromptu manner, which he is famous for anyway, and accepted to be included without editing.

The scenes involving Manorama and Shivaji were also reminiscent if 'Thillana Mohanambal' (1968). The swooning over Shivaji scenes were actually reflective of Manorama's long time personal desire to act as Shivaji's pair. That became a reality in 'Gnana Paravai'(1991).

Jayalaitha's performance was not bad and for a moment confusion arises as though we are watching the song 'Vaangaya vaathiyaarayya' (Num Naadu 1979) when she dances and sings in almost a similar costume in the 'Engalathu Boomi' song. Even Shivaji looked like MGR in the long shots of this song. Anyway, both were political propaganda songs having Jayalalitha and MSV as common factors in both. I remember Balajee praising Jayalalitha for her cooperation in the outdoor location. In one scene she has to appear in a different attire and there was no luxurious caravan like nowadays. She just asked that some female unit members hold up some sarees between two trees and in a jiffy she changed into the costume. She had no inhibitions about doing so and this act saved Balajee's time to have her sent back to the hotel a few kilometers away to have this task done. Balajee was actually lamenting about the lavishness of today's luxurious caravans for top artistes.

In the late sixties and early seventies the audience will be assured of at least one scene where Sowcar Janagi faints. From 'Enga Oor Raja', 'Lakshmi Kalyanam', 'Oil Vilakku' and in many more there will be such a scene especially when she cries emotionally!

There was this scene where Sundrarajan, who acts as the pressing judge goes up to meet the Bench members who are all attired in full British crown judges. I don't remember seeing such a technically and legally advanced closed chamber scene in any other Tamil films. Anyway, the sentence meted out in lieu of actual jail sentence was already in practice in several developed countries. Such community service judgements are also being practiced in some Asian countries with the view to overcome prison overcrowding. However, the crux of the storyline in 'Neethi' is this particular scene which also became a topic of private intellectual discussions off- screen.

When you see a Balajee's remake movie you can be assured that he may copy the entire story of the original but will definitely name the protagonists Raja and Radha for sentimental reasons. Here Shivaji and Jayalalitha have these signature character names. Balajee also made movies bearing the titles of 'Raja' and 'Radha' respectively. So you can see how he holds this sentiment to heart.

Shivaji Ganesan was at one his best in 'Needhi' and I will not hesitate to rate his performance as More then superb.
As a lorry driver he carried his role well. (Sarath Kumar in 'Paarai' (2003) did a similar role and had almost the same storyline subtly). As an essentially transformed villager he was outstanding. Perhaps, this was the only film where Shivaji appeared in a long-sleeved blue safari pants and suit (although not necessarily meaning the classy-type) throughout the movie. Even when he changes into a jibba presented by Jayakouslya it was long sleeves. Throughout the film his arms were fully covered with long sleeved shirt and that too in a village-based story!

The climax fighting scene in the meat cold room was something modern and novel by the then standards and at certain stunt scenes Shivaji appeared without his double. There was also something very noticeable in Shivaji's mannerism which is not found in his other films. He maintained an unique running style like how Westerners used to do. Not once he deviated from this running style throughout the film. If in 'Puthiya Paravai' (1964) ending there were small frames of the artistes appearing all around Shivaji, in 'Neethi' it was almost similar albeit with a difference. They were actually moving frames but in freeze mode when only one was shown at a time. Never knew such a technology was toyed with some four decades ago. The present films have such innovative multi-frame scenes but usually depicting the making of the film.

On the whole 'Neethi' will never disappoint anyone as it is packed with all those necessary ingredients of a successful movie. It is one remarkable film with excellent acting, songs, music and enchanting village sceneries.

Gopal.s
20th September 2013, 09:13 AM
Needhi is a good review. especially the observation on Nadigarthilagam running style . Kudos.....
I am recommeniding your name for Doctorate with my Vice Chancellor Friend.(University Name- Dubakur University....or something,I dont remember.). I enjoy your pun .

mahendra raj
30th September 2013, 10:19 PM
http://youtu.be/ORM86VivNUM

A tribute to Shivaji Ganesan on the occasion of his birthday anniversary today. Not to forget Kaviarasu Kannadhasan's lyrics. Both these stalwarts enjoyed their numerous visitations to Malaysia hence this rare song. Enjoy!

Gopal.s
1st October 2013, 09:52 AM
Thanks Mahendraraj,
I am glad conveying my best wishes to you on this great Day for all Tamils and welcome once again to participate in our thread.

RAGHAVENDRA
17th October 2013, 06:48 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e9/Kannadasan.gif

32 years have gone ... since u left us physically ... but not from our heart ...

http://youtu.be/fdjQG6CbYKs

NOV
17th October 2013, 07:04 AM
Thank you Kavignar.... I am indebted to you for eternity. You gave me the philosophy upon which I base my life.

கடலளவு கிடைத்தாலும் மயங்க மாட்டேன்
அது கையளவே ஆனாலும் கலங்க மாட்டேன்
உள்ளத்திலே உள்ளது தான் உலகம் கண்ணா
இதை உணர்ந்து கொண்டால் துன்பமெல்லாம் விளகும் கண்ணா

You may have passed on, but your spirit and wisdom are immortal.

Gopal.s
17th October 2013, 08:11 AM
பெற்றவள் உடல் சலித்தாள் பேதை நான் கால் சலித்தேன் படைத்தவன் கை சலித்து ஓய்ந்தானம்மா
என்பது போன்ற தமிழ் இலக்கிய தத்துவ முத்துக்களை சலித்தெடுத்து, சுலப சினிமா பாடலாக்கி பெயரெடுத்து, இலக்கிய அந்தஸ்தில் உயர்ந்து விட்ட உனக்கு என் சிரம் தாழ்ந்த அஞ்சலி.

NOV
17th October 2013, 08:56 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BWvxPPECIAATiJh.jpg:large

Richardsof
17th October 2013, 10:28 AM
Courtesy - malaimalar

தமிழ் திரையுலகில் 5 ஆயிரத்துக்கும் மேல் பாடல்கள் எழுதி தமிழர் நெஞ்சங்களில் நீக்கமற நிறைந்துள்ள மாபெரும் கவிஞர் கண்ணதாசன். காதல், தத்துவம், ஆன்மீகம், சோகம், பிரிவு, கோபம், விரக்தி என அத்தனை மனித உணர்வுகளையும் உயிர்ப்பாக பாடல்களில் வடித்து இல்லந்தோறும் வாழ்ந்தார்.

பாடல்கள் எளிய நடையில் இருந்ததால் படிக்காத பாமரர்களையும் கட்டி இழுத்தன. `ஏழுஸ்வரங்களுக்குள் எத்தனை பாடல், இதய சுரங்கத்துள் எத்தனை கேள்வி' என ராகத்தின் மகிமையை உணர்த்தினார். `சிரிப்பு பாதி அழுகை பாதி சேர்ந்தல்லவோ மனித ஜாதி' என மானிட பிறப்பின் சூட்சுமம் உரைத்தார்.

`பரமசிவன் கழுத்தில் இருந்து பாம்பு கேட்டது கருடா சவுக்கியமா' `சட்டி சுட்டதடா கைவிட்டதடா', `போனால் போகட்டும் போடா' என்று தத்துவங்களை உதிர்த்தார்.

`சோதனை மேல் சோதனை போதுமடா சாமி, வேதனைதான் வாழ்க்கை என்றால் தாங்காது பூமி' என வாழ்வின் வலியை பதிவு செய்தார். `வீடு வரை உறவு வீதிவரை மனைவி காடுவரை பிள்ளை கடைசிவரை யாரோ' என உறவு நிலைகளை பதிவு செய்தார்.

`அத்திக்காய் காய் காய் ஆலங்காய் வெண்ணிலவே' மற்றும் `அத்தான் என்னத்தான் அவர் என்னைத்தான்', `வான் நிலா நிலா அல்ல உன் வாலிபம் நிலா' என வார்த்தைகளை வைத்து விளையாடினார்.

`காலங்களில் அவள் வசந்தம் கலைகளிலே அவள் ஓவியம்' பாட்டில் இயற்கையோடு பெண்ணை வர்ணித்தார். `ஒரு கோப்பையிலே என் குடியிருப்பு ஒரு கோலமயில் என் துணையிருப்பு இசை பாடலிலே என் உயிர்துடிப்பு நான் பார்ப்பதெல்லாம் அழகின் சிரிப்பு' என்ற பாட்டில் தான் யார் என்று பிரகடனம் செய்தார்.

அந்த பாட்டிலேயே `நான் நிரந்தரமானவன் அழிவதில்லை எந்த நிலையிலும் எனக்கு மரணம் இல்லை' என்றார். `உன் கண்ணில் நீர் வழிந்தால் என் நெஞ்சில் உதிரம் கொட்டுதடி' பாட்டு இப்போதும் இதயத்தை பிழிந்து போடுகிறது. `பசுமை நிறைந்த நினைவுகளே பாடி திரிந்த பறவைகளே' என மாணவ பருவ வாழ்வை பட்டியலிட்டார்.

கண்ணதாசன் பாடல் வரிகளுக்கு எம்.எஸ்.விஸ்வநாதன் இசை டி.எம்.சவுந்தரராஜனின் குரல், எம்.ஜி.ஆர், சிவாஜியின் நடிப்பு மேலும் உயிர் ஊட்டின. `வாராய் என் தொழி வாராயோ', `மலர்ந்தும் மலராத பாதி மலர்போல', `ஒளிமயமான எதிர்காலம் என் உள்ளத்தில் தெரிகின்றது', `எங்கே நிம்மதி எங்கே நிம்மதி' என்று ஆயிரக்கணக்கான ஜீவனுள்ள பாடல்களை தந்து தமிழர்கள் வாழ்வோடு நிக்கமற நிறைந்துள்ளார்.

கண்ணதாசன் எழுதிய அர்த்தமுள்ள இந்து மதம் புத்தகம் இந்துக்களின் பொக்கிஷம். இன்னும் நூற்றுக்கணக்கான சிறு கதைகள், நாவல்கள், ஆன்மிக புத்தகங்கள் எழுதியுள்ளார். படத்தின் கதையை பாட்டுக்குள் கொண்டு வருவதில் கண்ணதாசனுக்கு நிகர் எவரும் இல்லை.

சிறந்த பேச்சளர், எழுத்தாளர், ஆன்மீகவாதி. அரசியலிலும் சில காலம் இருந்து விட்டு வந்தார். கண்ணதாசனின் ஆரம்ப காலங்கள் கடவுள் இல்லை என்ற திராவிட இயக்க கொள்கைகளில் நகர்ந்தது. பிறகு அதில் இருந்து விலகிமுழு ஆன்மிகவாதியானார். இன்று கண்ணதாசன் 87-வது பிறந்த நாள்... நெஞ்சிருக்கும் வரைக்கும் அவர் நினைவிக்கும்...

anm
23rd October 2013, 02:42 PM
Dear Mahendra Raj,

Thanking you on your appreciation of the scene in "Sorgam" where Shivaji transforms in three minutes in the song as a drunken man. That is what shivaji Ganesan.

Here, I would like to recall what Nedumudi Venu ( Great Malayalam Actor) said about Shivaji that Shivaji is the only person who can make quick changes in seconds the facial expressions and I have not seen any one else like Shivaji, this is a great tribute to NT by a malayalm actor and as such all malayalam actors have high respects for NT.

Another small information I wish to convey here on your write-up on " Neethi" about your comment on Balajee must have helped Chandra Babu in giving him casting in some films, but what I heard is it is none other than Shivaji who had helped him get casted in few films when Chandra Babu went to Shivaji asking for help. (Infact, shivaji told him to stay in his house for the rest of his life, but Chandra babu rejected and asked for some Jobs to overcome his financial constraints).

Great write-up by you, please continue the nice job.

Anand

mahendra raj
23rd October 2013, 04:41 PM
Thanks anm! It is for nothing he was crowned with the 'Nadigar Thilagam' honorifics. Kannadhasan once said that Shivaji lived in his lyrics and this song is testimony to it. About Chandrababu's plight - yes, I too read it but it had had - negative tone in it. Shivaji, in good faith, asked him to stay in his house where he can have his meals just like other visitors daily. This is what irked Chandrababu. He did not want to be put in the same footing like other freeloaders as he had his pride with him. Perhaps, Shivaji after realizing Chandrababu's reluctance must have discussed with Balajee who was also once his close friend. They must have worked out a scheme to help Chandrababu by giving him those roles.

Yes, will continue writing on and off. Recently a close friend introduced me to about three columns in Facebook and I have been busy writing there by popular request. You can access it by first going to my FB account. Thanks for the,well-wishes once again?

Gopal.s
30th October 2013, 10:56 AM
http://tamil.oneindia.in/movies/news/vaali-we-remember-you-on-your-82nd-birthday-186335.html

NOV
21st November 2013, 05:41 PM
We all know the story of how annan ennadaa thambi ennada was born....

That is, when the crew got down to write the situation song (in Pazhani), a studio hand walked in carrying an imported liquor bottle. Upon inquiry the boy told that the price tag is Rs1000 and immediately a random money search was conducted amongst themselves but it still fell short of Rs500.

It was then MSV suggested to Kannadhasan to telephone ALS whose film 'Pazhani' they were working on at that time. When ALS asked as to the raison de κtre of this sudden need of cash Kannadhasan told him the truth. ALS refused and they sent back the studio hand. That was the time Kannadhasan wrote this song but which fitted the film's song situation neatly.

Now here comes the shocker..... apparently the above story is not true!

NOV
21st November 2013, 05:44 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/q80/s720x720/1452192_10201744866175135_1134449955_n.jpg

According to Kannadhasan's son Annadorai, this is what happened:

அப்பாவின் அண்ணன் ஏ.எல்.சீனிவாசன், பெரிய தயாரிப்பாளராக விளங்கிய நேரம். அவர் தன் குடும்பத்தை விட்டு விலகி வாழ்நாள் முழுவதும் தனியாக வாழ்ந்தார். அவர் உயிரோடு இருந்த காலத்தில் அவருடைய மகன் கண்ணப்பன் அவரிடம் பேசியதே கிடையாது என்றால் பார்த்துக்கொள்ளுங்கள்.

அப்படிப்பட்ட அண்னனிடம் ஒரு தீபாவளி சமயத்தில், கையில் பணம் இல்லாத சூழலில் தன் பணக்கார அண்ணனிடம் பணம் கேட்டுப் போனார்...பற்று, பாசம் இல்லாத ஒரு மனிதன் தன் பாசமிகுந்த தம்பியின் மனதை எப்படி புரிந்து கொள்ள முடியும்? கடுமையாக பேசி அனுப்பிவிட்டார்...

அன்றைக்கு மறுநாள், அப்பா மனவருத்தத்தில் வெளியே எங்கும் போகாத காரணத்தால் எங்கள் வீட்டு மாடியில் கம்போசிங்க் வைத்துக்கொண்டார்கள். வார்தைகள் அவரது மன நிலையை பிரதிபலித்தது."பணத்தின் மீதுதான் பக்தி என்றபின் பந்தபாசமே ஏதடா, பதைக்கும் நெஞ்சினை அணைக்கும் யாவரும் அண்ணன் தம்பிகள் தானடா..."

NOV
21st November 2013, 05:58 PM
Here is another popular story:

I will share an interesting instance involving kavignar :P

kavignar agreed to pen the lyrics for 'avanthaan manithan' and the producers requested kavingnar to pen the lyrics immediately as the shooting was scheduled in May 1973. They kept on reminding the shooting schedule is in May but kavignar as usual was taking it lightly. One fine day they insisted that he gives the lyrics for the songs then and there only as it was already last week of April and shooting is to start in May.
Kavignar was not too pleased but he wrote the lyrics for all the songs in one stroke and gave it to MSV. After handing over the lyrics and before leaving, kavignar told the producers and MSV to take extra care of one particular song as it reflects the mood of the producers. They tried to decipher which song was that but weren't able find anything common to their mood and any of the songs.
Finally MSV realised what kavignar meant while re-recording the song and it was "anbu nadamaadum kalai koodame". Every line in the song ends with 'may', 'koodame', 'megame', 'vanname' and so on. kavignar got so pissed off with verbal reminders by the producers and emphasising about the shooting schedule in Singapore in the month of May. That was the prize for incurring kavignar's wrath :P The producers, MSV and troup had a good laugh.

That film also had other songs such as "aattuviththaal yaar oruvan", "manithan ninaipathundu". All these songs were written in one flow and under couple of hours. A genius beyond comparison :bow:

Annadorai again refuted the story as follows:

சில விஷயங்களை மறுத்துப் பெரிசாக்குவதை விட, பேசாமல் விட்டு விட்டு மறந்து போக வைப்பதே மேல்.

நான்,"அவன்தான் மனிதன் "படத்தில் உதவி தயாரிப்பு நிர்வாகியாக பணியாற்றினேன். அன்பு நடமாடும் கலைக்கூடமே பாடல் கம்போஸிங்க் நடந்தது ஜூன் மாதத்தில். ஆனால் மே மே என்று முடிவதால் அதற்கொரு கதை சொல்லப்பட்டது.

எல்லவற்றையும் மறுத்துக்கொண்டிருந்தால் வேறு வேலையையே பார்க்கமுடியாது.

raagadevan
22nd November 2013, 04:34 AM
Kavignar for Gen-X

The present generation needs to tune in to Kavignar Kannadhasan’s works, says his son Gandhi, who has come with e-books, audio books and an app based on the legendary poet.

http://www.thehindu.com/books/kavignar-for-genx/article5375664.ece?homepage=true

omeuforivo
22nd November 2013, 10:17 AM
கவியரசர் கண்ணதாசனைப் பற்றி வைரமுத்து..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egZeZVLTg4U

sivank
24th November 2013, 01:36 PM
பெற்றவள் உடல் சலித்தாள் பேதை நான் கால் சலித்தேன் படைத்தவன் கை சலித்து ஓய்ந்தானம்மா
என்பது போன்ற தமிழ் இலக்கிய தத்துவ முத்துக்களை சலித்தெடுத்து, சுலப சினிமா பாடலாக்கி பெயரெடுத்து, இலக்கிய அந்தஸ்தில் உயர்ந்து விட்ட உனக்கு என் சிரம் தாழ்ந்த அஞ்சலி.
Hi Gopal Ji,

Recently I happened to see this song in You tube and it was written that this song was from Marudhakasi.

Gopal.s
24th November 2013, 08:17 PM
Hi Gopal Ji,

Recently I happened to see this song in You tube and it was written that this song was from Marudhakasi.
இது கண்ணதாசன் பாடலே. நான் 100% சரி.இந்த பட(சரஸ்வதி சபதம்) டைட்டில் பாருங்கள். பாடல்கள் கண்ணதாசன்,உதவி பஞ்சு அருணாசலம் என்றே காட்டும்.

NOV
13th April 2014, 06:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkhMbyxVKKc&feature=youtu.be

This is another rare song by Kaviarasu Kannadhasan and ably tuned by Viswanathan Ramamurthy pair with just only three instruments. This was the beginning of the successful combo of Viswanathan Ramamurthy, Kannadhasan, Bhimsing and Shivaji Ganesan. Incidentally, Kannadhasan and Shivaji were not on talking terms at this time due to some political fallout. Kannadhasan used the name 'Ponnamma' for this song having his first wife, Ponnamma Aachi, in mind. This was the song which accorded Kannadhasan the same status as top stars like MGR and Shivaji. When this song was screened all over the country the audience spontaneously stood up to cheer him for the simplicity in lyrics which relates to the village layman. From this film onwards whenever Kannadhasan's name appears in the title cards of films there will be clapping-of-the hands ovation for him in par with MGR's and Shivaji's superstar-status!

tfmlover
6th May 2014, 10:05 AM
http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab272/1tfml/2014/knds1_zpsa5f40e99.jpghttp://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab272/1tfml/2014/knds_zps07c6ceea.jpg

Regards

tfmlover
7th May 2014, 07:14 AM
http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab272/1tfml/kndsn/knd1_zps477898c6.jpghttp://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab272/1tfml/kndsn/knd_zpsa4f6d50c.jpg

Regards

NOV
24th June 2014, 05:44 PM
Remembering Kavignar on his birthday....

https://scontent-a-kul.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t1.0-9/10514522_678824898874780_7244968866044327421_n.jpg

Gopal.s
8th July 2014, 01:02 PM
பாலின் நிறம் போல உருவான பெண்மை
பனியில் விளையாடும் கனிவான மென்மை
எங்கும் பறந்தோடும் இளம் தென்றல் அல்ல
ஏக்கம் வரும் போது எல்லோர்க்கும் சொல்ல

NOV
3rd October 2014, 07:29 AM
Let passions and bonds leave. After all, who has lived in this world forever?
Our arrival is known but our departure and the route remains unknown.
If all who arrived opt to stay, there just wpn't be enough space to foray.
Life is like a business where birth is debit and death, debit.
Though born without a dress, did we come without passions?
When the journey is completed, can any take along their possessions?
.... kin, till the end of the house
.... wife, till the end of the street
.... sons, till the cemetery
.... beyond that?

NOV
17th October 2014, 04:07 PM
Remembering Kavignar on his anniversary

https://scontent-a-sin.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10649887_10204135524702506_2140277427030527619_n.j pg?oh=00410d21f98772c5d5b5490c08fe26e3&oe=54B6E8AA

NOV
17th October 2014, 04:08 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t31.0-8/54165_170152519683260_210667_o.jpg

Kannadhasan with his wife Parvathi and sons Dr. Kamal and Gandhi

Gopal.s
20th June 2015, 08:53 AM
கண்ணதாசனும், எம்.எஸ்.விஸ்வநாதனும் நம் ரத்தத்தில் கலந்த இரு மேதைகள். இருவரும் ஒரே நாளில் பிறந்தநாள் காணும் பிரித்தறிய முடியா உயிர் நண்பர்கள். (ஜூன் 24) கண்ணதாசன் ஒரு வருடம் மூத்தவர்.(1927) .இருவருமே நடிகர்திலகத்தை விட மூத்தவர்கள்.
நடிகர்திலகம்- விஸ்வநாதன்-ராமமூர்த்தி-கண்ணதாசன் இணைவு பாகபிரிவினை (1959)முதல் சாந்தி(1965) வரை தொடர்ந்தது. நடிகர்திலகம்-விஸ்வநாதன்-கண்ணதாசன் இணையோ ,கண்ணதாசன் இறப்பு வரை தொடர்ந்தது. பல உயரிய தமிழ் பாடல்கள் இந்த இணைவுக்கு சொந்தமானவை.

கண்ணதாசன் சுப்ரமணிய பாரதிக்கு அடுத்த நிலையில் கொண்டாட படும் உன்னத கவிஞன். என்னதான் வசனம், தனி பாடல்கள்,நாவல்கள்,சுயசரிதை,தத்துவம்,மதநூல்கள் என்று எழுதியிருந்தாலும், மறக்க முடியாத சாதனை அவர் திரைப்பாடல்களே.

அவர் திரை பாடல்கள் சாதித்தவை ,பலருக்கு ஊக்கம் கொடுத்து கவிஞனாக தூண்டியவை,.

1)இலக்கியத்துக்கும் ,திரை பாடல்களுக்கும் கலப்பு மணம் செய்வித்தவர். திருக்குறள்(உன்னை நான் பார்க்கும் போது ),அக-புற பாடல்கள்(நேற்று வரை நீ யாரோ), கம்ப ராமாயணம் (பால் வண்ணம் ),திருப்பாவை(மலர்ந்தும் மலராத,மத்தள மேளம் முரசொலிக்க ),காளமேக புலவர் சிலேடைகள் (இலந்த பயம்)பட்டினத்தார் (வீடு வரை உறவு), பிற்கால கவிஞர்கள் (அத்தான் என்னத்தான் ) என்று எத்தனை எத்தனை.என்று ஆய்வு செய்தால் வாழ்நாள் காணாது.

2)நடைமுறையை இணைத்தவர்.அரசியலை அழகாக படத்துடன் ,கதையமைப்பு கோணாது இணைத்தவர்.(ஓஹோ ஓஹோ மனிதர்களே,அண்ணன் காட்டிய வழியம்மா,யாரை எங்கே வைப்பது என்றே,என்னதான் நடக்கும்,ஒளிஞ்சு மறைஞ்சு ஆட்டம் போட்டு உத்தமன் போல் பேசு,சிவகாமி மகனிடம்,நலந்தானா யாரை நம்பி நான் பொறந்தேன்)

3)சொந்த வாழ்விலிருந்து கவிதைக்கு பொருள் சேர்த்து உரமாக்கியவர்.அவரின் வாழ்க்கையில் அனுபவங்களுக்கோ பஞ்சமில்லை. வாழ்க்கையை வெற்றி-தோல்வி,இன்ப-துன்பம்,பற்றி கவலையின்றி வாழ்ந்து பார்த்தவர். ஒளிவு மறைவில்லா திறந்த புத்தகம்.(அண்ணன் என்னடா தம்பி என்னடா, நாளை முதல் குடிக்க மாட்டேன்,இரண்டு மனம் வேண்டும்,ஆட்டுவித்தால்,மனிதன் நினைப்பதுண்டு ,)

4)இவ்வளவையும் மீறி இசையின் தேவையறிந்து,குறிப்பறிந்து ,வார்த்தைக்கு அழகியல் மெருகு சேர்த்து அர்த்தமும் கொடுத்து இசையை வள (வசமும்)படுத்திய கவிஞர்.

5)ஒரு படத்தின் ஜீவன் உணர்ந்து பாடல்கள் தருவதில் மிஞ்ச முடியாதவர். ஒரே வரியில் கதையை முடிப்பார்.(,கட்டிலுக்கு கடன் கொடுத்தாள் தொட்டிலுக்கு விலை கொடுத்தாள் ,சிந்தையிலே நான் வளர்த்த கன்று சேர்ந்ததடி உன் வயிற்றில் இன்று )

கண்ணதாசா, நீ எங்கள் ஞான தந்தைகளில் ஒருவன்.

NOV
24th June 2015, 07:18 AM
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-SUMvB048A4k/UcgBqaXw-jI/AAAAAAABEkA/TB7Y2-I5k68/w500-h214-no/kannathasan4.jpg

As days go by, I realise that Poet Kannadhasan is not only my idol, he also is my role model. More philosophical than religious Kannadhasan lived life to the fullest enjoying all that was deemed a sin. The phrase Wine, Women, Song (madhu, maadhu, paattu) fits him to the tee.

Persian ghazalist Hafez describes paradise as, "Two sweethearts, two flasks of old wine, a book of verse and a cosy corner in the garden."

Kannadhasan describes God: பூஜ்ஜியத்துகுள்ளே ஒரு ராஜ்ஜியத்தை ஆண்டு கொண்டு புரியாமலே இருப்பான் ஒருவன், அவ்னைப் புரிந்து கொண்டால் அவன்தான் இறைவன்!

"He rules the kingdom of emptiness, and remains incomprehensible. If you can comprehend Him, you will realise God."

Go figure!

Born today 24 June in 1927, Kannadhasan breathed his last while attending a Tamil conference in Chicago, at the young age of 54.

In his own words, I am permanent and will not expire under any circumstances."

RAGHAVENDRA
24th June 2015, 07:31 AM
http://msvtimes.com/images/rare/msv7.JPG

மெல்லிசை மன்னர்கள் இசையமைப்பாளர்களாக பணிபுரியத் தொடங்கியதும்

நடிகர் திலகத்தின் திரைப்படம் - பணம்

மெல்லிசை மன்னரும் கவியரசரும் முதன் முதலில் இசையமைப்பாளர் பாடலாசிரியராக இணைந்து பணிபுரியத் தொடங்கியதும்

நடிகர் திலகத்தின் திரைப்படம் - பணம்.

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j462/vasudevan31355/Panam1.jpg

ஆம் .. பணம் இவர்களை இறுதி வரை பிரிக்க வில்லை..

ஆனால்.. அந்த பணம் எத்தனை எத்தனை தத்துவங்களை இவர்கள் மூலம் கொண்டு வந்தது..

அண்ணன் என்னடா தம்பி என்னடா..

பணம் என்னடா பணம் என்னடா..

என ஏராளமான வாழ்க்கைத் தத்துவங்களை நமக்களித்த இவர்களின் பிறந்த நாள்.. தமிழ் சினிமாவுக்கு சிறந்த நாள்..

முகநூலில் ஒரு நண்பர் கூறியது போல்..

இந்நாளை மெல்லிசை நாளாக அழைப்போமே..

இவர்களை இணைத்த பணம் திரைப்படத்தின் பாடல் வரிகளைப் பாருங்கள்..

படத்தின் பெயர் பணமாக இருந்தாலும் இவர்கள் நாடியது ஏழையின் கோவிலை அன்றோ..

ஜி.கே.வெங்கடேஷைத் தமிழ்ப்பட உலகில் பாடகராக அறிமுகப்படுத்தியதும் இந்தப் பணம் தானன்றோ..

http://www.inbaminge.com/t/p/Panam/

raagadevan
1st September 2018, 04:53 PM
Kannadasan found Krishna within

By Geetha Venkataramanan - The Hindu, August 30, 2018

https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/music/kannadasan-found-krishna-within/article24819404.ece