5th October 2007, 08:00 AM
Pick #536

Song: Adaiyil ennadi
Film: Ennadi Meenatchi
Music: Shankar-Ganesh
Singer: S.Janaki, Malaysia Vasudevan
Lyrics: ?
Year: 1979

"romba nALAga enakkoru" was the most popular song from the film "Ennadi Meenatchi" and has remained popular till now. But "Adaiyil ennadi" was also a hit song back in the days. There is at least one other moderately hit song in the album but can't remember at the moment. I think the film did fairly well at the box office.

This song is a nEyar(Jack) viruppam.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/adaiyil_ennadi.rm

thyagu666
7th October 2007, 10:09 AM
hi admin/friends,
iam serching for few songs of illayaraja(app-200 songs),i have the link which shows my list, can i directly put it here or request one by one.please guide me .

thyagu

Neel D
7th October 2007, 09:22 PM
Vinatha,
Don't get your hopes up. I am hardly a romantic. :)

Thyagu,
Could you post few requests at a time?

Neel D
7th October 2007, 09:25 PM
Pick #537

Song: kathiravan udhayam
Film: Haridas
Music: G.Ramanathan & Papanasam Sivan
Singer: Nagappattinam Chandrasekaran Kamakshi
Lyrics: Papanasam Sivan
Year: 1944

It is my gripe that there is no serious effort being taken to preserve Tamil films and Tamil film music of the the classical era of TFM. Even though film artistes had been governing Tamilnadu for decades there has been no dedicated attempt to restore the movies and music of the first three decades of Tamil talkies, a period when hundreds of extremely talented classical musicians and stage actors made their contributions to Tamil films. This week we shall try to revive some of the songs, three female solos, from that period.

Nagappattinam Chandrasekaran Kamakshi also known as N.C.Vasanthakokilam (now we are talking) possessed one of the sweetest voices among the classical singers of her time. She was a popular carnatic singer and was also a busy actress in the 1940s. Her first film was Chandragupta Chanakya (1941) and the last was Krishna Vijayam (1950). After apparently a failed love and a failed marriage she found herself a patron in Coimbatore K Sathasivan who directed her in some of his movies and also promoted her as a stage singer. She was doing great until her life and career were cut short by tuberculosis sometime around 1951. But she left behind some great vocal music and films.

Haridas, of course, is a legendary film that played for over two years straight in Chennai. We all know that the leading man MKT spent all that time in jail after the famous Lakshmikanthan murder case verdict. MKT's appeal had to go all the way to a London court as India was still under the rule of the British. Along with great songs, Haridas had a symbolic sex scene, lot of eve-teasing and some politically incorrect lines delivered by NCV herself. Very bold for its time. The film was made at Central Studios, Coimbatore. NCV played the arrogant but loving wife of MKT in the film. "kathiravan udhayam" was supposedly a popular song in its time. But of course with MKT singing so many wonderful songs in the film it is no wonder that NCV's songs in the film were overshadowed.

I am sure Papanasam Sivan did not just write the lyrics. He must have probably composed the tune also while G.Ramanathan took care of the orchestral arrangement. Hence I added Sivan's name under Music.

Part of the statistics in this post was found on the internet. Thanks to Randor Guy and the like.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/kathiravan.rm

thyagu666
8th October 2007, 07:48 AM
sorry for the inconvenience

Neel D
10th October 2007, 03:38 AM
Pick #538

Song: jAlilO jimkAnA
Film: Amaradeepam
Music: T.Chalapathi Rao
Singer: Pillavaalu Gajapathi Krishnaveni
Lyrics: Thanjai Ramiahdas
Year: 1956

There is no need to introduce P.G.Krishnaveni. Everyone knows Jikki, the queen of TFM playback in the 1950s (in close competition with P.Leela).
Could someone provide the expansion for the initials P.G.?

I chose "jAlilO" for the controversy it created when it came out. The lyricist Thanjai Ramiahdas was dragged through hot coal for using some meaningless and/or non-Tamil words in this song. Decades later my highschool Tamil teacher was still complaining about this song and the songwriter. But I think Ramiahdas wrote a song that fit the situation, two gypsy girls performing on the street. Ramiahdas has written many meaningful songs too but this is the incident most people remember him by. Considering today's song standards(?) it seems very unfair. Jikki brings her sweetness and her trademark "Ohhh..."s and makes listening to this apparently meaningless song a pleasant experience.

The song sequence in the film is really beautiful. Young and gorgeous Padmini and another beautiful girl (E.V.Saroja?) sing and dance on the street to entertain people. A crowd is standing around them in a circle and watching them perform. The girls are dancing away to the lively beats of the drum singing the catchy song. That is when a young, in-shape and handsome Sivaji Ganesan walks in. He has an unlit cigarette between the corner of his lips. An arrogant and carefree attitude is all over his face and body language. Totally Hot! He cuts through the crowd and gets to the front of it facing the dancers. Padmini who is dancing looking in another direction turns and finds Sivaji standing there, and in an instant her face lights up. A little bit of a surprise in her eyes, a lot of happiness in her face, and a smile under her breath suggesting that she knew he would come... all this while she is still dancing... Classic Padmini! They didn't call her Nattiya Peroli for nothing.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/jalilo.rm

RR
10th October 2007, 12:11 PM
Neel & others,

We've been having problems with long threads. So I'm trimming this thread. Hope it's ok henceforth. Sorry for the trouble.

Murali Srinivas
10th October 2007, 03:18 PM
Dear Neel,

Only yesterday night, I watched Amara Deepam and today I am finding it here. Your narration of the scene was so beautiful and I could visualise it again, the scene being so fresh in memory. Thanks for the pick

Regards

SN23
10th October 2007, 04:35 PM
Jikki's father name is Gajapathi Naidu. His name had another prefix 'PillavAlu' (Equivalent to Chinna piLLai?). May be these two stand for P & G.

Neel: Great songs by Ganakokila pAdagiyargaL. Nandrigal kOdi :-)

tvsankar
11th October 2007, 10:00 PM
Dear Neel,
Thanks for the song "jaliyo"."Pachai kili padudhu" indha padathil dhana? Jikki ya padiyadhu?

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

Neel D
12th October 2007, 06:52 AM
Usha,
You are welcome. Yes, "pachchaikkiLi pAduthu" is by Jikki. Also "thunbam sUzum nEram". Three great solos by Jikki in this film."pachchaikkiLi" is a nice sequence too. Beautiful Padmini pouring all her love and innocence in song and dance.

கள்ளம் அறியாதது ரொம்ப சாது
வேறெங்கும் ஓடாது - உன்
சொல்லைத் தள்ளாது

Handsome Sivaji sitting there so indifferent and nonchalant, but conveying through expression "yeah I know you love me, but I got my own problems". However, he is moved by Padmini's affection and finally he smiles.

Neel D
12th October 2007, 06:58 AM
Pick #539

Song: uLLam than nilai
Film: Sivakavi
Music: G.Ramanathan & Papanasam Sivan
Singer: Thanjavur Ranganayaki Rajayee
Lyrics: Papanasam Sivan
Year: 1943

Thanjavur Ranganayaki Rajayee also known as T.R.Rajakumari was a classically trained singer and actress with an absolutely stunning face and figure. Her big eyes, fleshy lips, wide cheek bones, hesitant smile and perfect figure made her the "dream girl" of Tamil cinema lovers. I don't think anyone in Tamil films has truly deserved that title since TRR. She played the role of courtesan in many of her films and it certainly helped with creating the allure. She is also the only actress in the history of Tamil cinema to be awarded the title "Udhattazhagi" . After she retired from films in 1963 she lived in complete seclusion and as far as I know made no public appearances whatsoever. In Hollywood a star like her would still be remembered and will be widely talked about with awe. But Tamil cinema audience quickly forgot her and moved on. Though she was memorable in all of her films (of course, look at her) she is well known for her performance in Chandralekha and Haridas.

Sivakavi, produced by Central Studios in Coimbatore, starred the great MKT paired with S.Jayalakshmi (sister of Veenai S Balachandar). Again, the female singing voices in the film were drowned by the voice of the giant. Yes, MKT. But when you separate out the songs, "uLLam than nilai" takes its own spot as a beautiful song in TRR's unique voice and with pleasant instrumental music. T.R.Rajakumari sang very few songs through her film career. I really like the heaviness in her voice. Wish she had had sung many more songs.

Part of the statistics in this post was collected off the internet. Thanks to Randor Guy, Film News Anandan and the like.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/ullam_than.rm

SN23
12th October 2007, 02:12 PM
[tscii:b25eb370ad]Neel: Incidentally I saw the hindi version of jAlilO jimkAnA. “Amardeep” re-made in Hindi in 1958, had Dev Anand in place of Sivaji. Padmini for Padmini. Ragini for EV Saroja. Vaijainthimala in place of Savithri (Not sure). Same T.Prakash Rao directed the movie, whereas Music credit was given to C. Ramachandra in place T.Chalapathi Rao.
Heard Shivaji productions re-made the Hindi version whereas Original Tamil version was by Venus pictures.

Enjoy this too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frHIk67jUSs&mode=related&search=Dev%20Anand

[/tscii:b25eb370ad]

Neel D
13th October 2007, 07:48 AM
SN23,
Thanks for the link.

Neel D
13th October 2007, 07:50 AM
Pick #540

Song: nalla manaththil
Film: Anaiya Vilakku
Music: M.S.Viswanathan
Singer: Mu.Ka.Muthu
Lyrics: Vaali
Year: 1975

Happy Eid!

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/nalla_manaththil.rm

RR
13th October 2007, 01:34 PM
Neel,

Interesting tidbits on TRR. She has sung the song well.

Nazir sultan
13th October 2007, 02:40 PM
Mr. Need D,

I could distinguish it is not a appropriate song for the occasion of Eid.

As per our faith, there is no precedence to be given other than God (Allah). As the song praises Nagore Andava.

It would have been better choice if had selected the other song.

Sorry for the digression.

Nazir sultan
14th October 2007, 12:23 PM
Thank you for your Eid Greetings!

Mr. Neel D

Nazir

Neel D
15th October 2007, 02:23 AM
RR, thanks.

Nazir Sultan, you are welcome. Pardon my ignorance.

Y'all, back to the favorite decades. All who went to sleep can wake up now. :)

Neel D
15th October 2007, 02:32 AM
Pick #541

Song: ivaL dhEvathai
Film: Vaa Intha Pakkam
Music: Shyam
Singers: S.P.Balasubramanyam, Vani Jairam
Lyrics: Vairamuthu
Year: 1981

A city man looking for the dhEvathai of his dreams. But she is a country girl looking for her singgam. I like the lyrics that VJ sings. So earthy.

புலிவாலு மீசை வெச்ச ஆளு
பல்லாக்கு போல ரெண்டு தோளு
பொன்னு மச்சான் போற வழி பூவு உண்டாகும்
வீர மச்சான் கோபப்பட்டா பூமி ரெண்டாகும்
வீட்டுக்கு வந்தா தங்கம் அல்லோ
வேட்டைக்குப் போனா சிங்கம் அல்லோ
யானைக்கொம்பு விறகொடிச்சு அடுப்பெரிப்பானே

மச்சானின் மீசையில் ஊஞ்சல் கட்டு
அன்னாடம் ஆடணும் அல்லி மொட்டு
பிச்சிப்பூ மாலை வாங்கி வந்து
மெத்தைக்கு மேல வீசச்சொல்லு

This song is a nEyar(bobgalee) viruppam. Thanks to priya32 for sending this song.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/ival_dhevathai.rm

gingerbeehk
15th October 2007, 07:55 AM
WISH YOU ALL HAPPY " EID MUBARAK"

NeelD, thanks for nice EID special song. You know what? This song i supposed to put on request today. I have requested "Nalla manathil" song in other sources too. But, unexpectedly....neenga ketkaamale koduthu vittinga. Kodai Vallal...

Vaa Intha Pakkam song also, another gem piece of extreme rare & almost forgetten song. So kind of you to post such beautiful collections.

Vazhga.....Valarga....Ungal pani endrum thodarga...

Vazgthum Nenjam,
Jack

bobgalee
15th October 2007, 11:51 AM
En POW vendukolai niraivetriyamaikku Mikka nandri..

baroque
15th October 2007, 11:47 PM
:clap: :ty: long long long ago so long ago I listened to this musical at the streets of Tanjore while going to school.
thanks, vinatha.

Neel D
17th October 2007, 03:49 AM
Pick #542

Song: Unjal manam
Film: Komberi Mookkan
Music: Ilaiyaraja
Singers: S.Janaki, P.Jayachandran
Year: 1985

Another duet from Komberi Mookkan was so popular this song "Unjal manam" did not get enough attention. With nice orchestration and pace it makes you shake your head and feel happy. The song actually sounds little out of time for 1985. It seems to fit into the late 70s sounds of Ilaiyaraja, somewhat like Niram Maratha Pookkal, Giramathu Athiyayam, etc. Wonder if IR pulled this score from one of his old scratch pads from the 70s. If he still has those scratch pads from the 70s he must consider bringing them to life.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/unjal_manam.rm

yvsmani
17th October 2007, 09:23 AM
a nice song with PJ in different style of singing, etho manathil baarathodu aavesamagha paaduvathu pol enakku thondrum. silu siluvena is another nice song (oorvasi mazhaiyil nanainthu kondu paaduvar), apart from the hit, roja ondru muththam ketkum neram, I hope.

yvsmani
17th October 2007, 09:39 AM
"ival devathai", (i think hero is pratap pothen, )(atleast in that song), , VJ athiradiyagha paadum kuralakku oru edhuththukattu, like sree rangano sree deviyo. In both the songs, PJ and SPB kuralil kambeeram irukkathu, kanivu irukkum.

gingerbeehk
17th October 2007, 09:55 AM
"Oonjal Nenjam"...nalla paatta irukkey? naan intha paattai ketta niyabhagm illai. KOMBERI MOOKAN, padathil Roja Ondru & Silu Silu paattu mattumey niyabhagam ullathu.

After superhit of MALAIYOOR MAMBHATHIYAAN, thiyagarajan leads most of movies in such series..such as Komberi Mookan, Theechatti Govindhan etc.

Thanks for nice pick again NeelD.

Jack

tvsankar
18th October 2007, 08:39 PM
Dear Neel,
Thanks for "Unjal manam ula".Idhai pol Rare IR songs irundhal - mudiyara podhu podungo.

Thanks in advance.

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

Neel D
18th October 2007, 10:12 PM
Pick #543

Song: viLakkERRi vaikkiREn
Film: Soodhattam
Singer: P.Susheela
Year: 1971

Happy Navarathiri, Saraswathi Poojai and Vijayadasami!

எங்கும் மங்கலம் பொங்கட்டும்!

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/vilakkerri.rm

priya32
20th October 2007, 12:16 AM
NeelD,

I'd like to request a solo song of S.Janaki, 'Andha Indhira Logame Ingu Vandhathu Polave' from the movie 'Ponnu Pudichirukku'. Hope to hear this song here soon! :)

madhu
20th October 2007, 07:34 AM
Hi Neel

priya kEtta padathula irundhu "oorukku mEkkAla andhapuRam" song irundhAlum postunga :P

Neel D
20th October 2007, 08:01 AM
priya & madhu,
You reminded me of two songs I had not heard in decades. I will try to get those songs. Next song, a duet, has SJ in it. A longstanding request, more than a year. Start guessing... :)

madhu,
I am posting right after you hoping that I can lock in your post and keep it from disappearing. :)

thyagu666
20th October 2007, 10:17 AM
hi friends ,
i have both the songs from Ponnu Pudochiruku how to share with u.

Thyagu

madhu
20th October 2007, 05:16 PM
Hi Neel..

A duet with SJ in it :roll: ... ( thirupathi-la mottai thalai manidharai kaNdu pidikka solreengaLE.. -ennathAn request-a irundhabodhilum kooda..... idhu nyAyamA ? :huh: )

Neel D
21st October 2007, 03:55 AM
Thyagu, thank you. Please check your pm.

madhu, just one hint. The film is a remake of Hindi original. athAvathu mottai thalaikkArar vadakkE irunthu vanthavar. Ippa kaNdu pidingga! :)

Meerakrishna
21st October 2007, 12:07 PM
NeelD, I am very much curious about the duet song of SJ. Lemme guess is it 'Mr India' tamil was 'En Raththathin Raththame', Bhagyaraj movie. If not,I request you to upload the song Please. I forgot the lines of the tamil song, but in hindi 'Kaatenahi sakti din yeh raat...I love You'.
Thanks in Advance.

Regards
Meera

vel1970
21st October 2007, 06:34 PM
After a long gap.... listening to a mangaLa karamaana song. Creamy voice. Karunai migum mariamman thunaiyile... nalla kalviyum selvamum perugattum.
Nandri Neek Avargale.

Neel D
21st October 2007, 10:31 PM
Meera, that is it. Your longstanding request is coming right up.

vel1970, you are welcome. manggaLakaram is the right word to describe that song.

Neel D
21st October 2007, 10:33 PM
Pick #544

Song: Or Ayiram pourNami
Film: En Raththaththin Raththame
Music: Laxmikant-Pyarelal
Singers: S.Janaki, S.P.Balasubramanyam
Year: 1989

I did not realize until two days ago that this was the song that Meera requested a year ago. Had it all along but never knew the film name or the tune of the Hindi original (duh!). But, I had stopped following K.Bhagyaraj around this time... late 80s. He had just completed his transformation from the average guy into a gaudy hero and a vulgar writer. Anyway, today's pick is a lovely song. Not sure who did the music for the Tamil remake of Mr.India. Crediting Laxmikant-Pyarelal, composers of the original song in Hindi. SJ and SPB do a great job. If you compare the Hindi and Tamil voices, SJ emerges a clear winner.

This song is a nEyar(Meera) viruppam.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/or_ayiram_err.rm

baroque
22nd October 2007, 03:58 AM
SriDevi - Gorgeous creature dropped on the planet by God!
Kate Nahi Kat Te Yeh Raat - Mr India

http://smashits.com/video/hindi-songs/music/1561/mr-india.html

What a movie! Fantastic musical indeed!

Balu's voice is fantastic and seductive in tamil version.

Thanks for the previous lilting raaja tune too!

Meerakrishna
22nd October 2007, 06:08 AM
NeelD, Thank You very much for remembering my year old request and uploading this wonderful song. I have been waiting for this.... The Quality is very good.... I enjoyed a lot. Thanks again...
When I saw this song in a Tamil Songs VCD I remember that I read Shankar-Ganesh has composed the music for this song.

Regards
Meerakrishna.

gingerbeehk
22nd October 2007, 02:13 PM
Orr Ayiram Pournami, is one of nice lifted (copied) song fm hindi. There is more nice songs in En Raththatin Raththame.. those are...Intha Raagamum...Intha Thaalamum en thalaivanin bhaaniyadi (concept of Vaatiyaar's "Rajavin Paarvai..Raniyin Pakkam" fm Anbe Vaa). another song is title name song " En Raththatin raththangale". Their is one more song Meenakchi seshatri sings with the childrens...i dont remember the song exactly. Thanks for give us all pleasant listening.

Meera,

You are correct...infact tamil movie music composed by Shankar-Ganesh, but..the particular song (Orr Ayiram Pournami) lifted originally fm hindi.

Jack

priya32
22nd October 2007, 11:45 PM
Hi NeelD,

I have one more request, this song goes like 'Naan Devadhai Devadhai Vaaazhvadhe Dheva Logam Theriyuma' sung by S.Janaki from the movie 'Soolam'!

Thanks,
Priya

Neel D
24th October 2007, 02:04 AM
Vinatha, Jack and Meera, you are welcome.

Priya, I can't recall that song. If I get it I will host it.

Neel D
24th October 2007, 02:05 AM
Pick #545

Song: antha inthiralOgamE
Film: Ponnu Pudichirukku
Music: Chandrabose
Singer: S.Janaki
Year: 1984

The familiar situation of a girl's joyous anticipation of her wedding day. Almost all songs composed for this situation turn out good. Chandrabose uses several percussion instruments to express the joyous mood. The chorus, the group violins and the hummings join hands with the percussions and make the song festive. The disco soundbits here and there can be forgiven. It probably was necessary for the visual. SJ expresses joy and shyness in ration, apt for Revathi.

This song is a nEyar(priya) viruppam. Thanks to Thyagu for sending the song.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/antha_inthira.rm

Meerakrishna
24th October 2007, 05:40 AM
Wow one more beautiful song from SJ. Nice melody and I like the way she sung 'modalai iravai manam ennum...(sweet laugh)adada enake idu solla tONale' Ahahaha such a sweet expression. Super song.

Thanks NeelD (Thyagu)

regards
Meerakrishna

Nazir sultan
24th October 2007, 11:56 AM
Mr. Neel D,

Expecting golden oldies of Maestro.

Thanks

gingerbeehk
24th October 2007, 01:31 PM
Arumaiyaana Paattu. Naan virumbi,rasithu ketkum 80's paadalgalil intha paatukkum mukkiya idamundu. Ilayaraaja kolochiya antha kaala kattathil, romba vithiyasamaga naan unarntha paatu. Neenda naatkalukku piragu meendum orumurai athey inimaiyai unarnthen. Romba nandri thalaiva.

Natpudan,
Jack

yvsmani
24th October 2007, 04:45 PM
enakkum pidiththa SJ paadalagalil ondru. padathil paanai thattum sound pattin pakka balam ena thonum. Manvaasanai vetri adainthavudan vantha padam. CB-in milestone-il idhuvum ondru.

priya32
24th October 2007, 04:49 PM
Hi NeelD,

Thank you so much for posting the song that I'd requested for! S.Janaki sounds so good and it has been years I've listened to this song and thanks to Thyagu for sharing it! :)

Neel D
25th October 2007, 07:23 AM
Meera, Jack and Priya, you are welcome.

Nazir, will do.

yvsmani, it sure is. Given proper chances, Chandrabose would have given more such songs. AVM and Sujata were mostly formula films. In other types of films CB did prove his merit.

thyagu666
25th October 2007, 11:00 AM
Neel, Meera,Priya you are welcome.

iam searching for these songs friends

1)manitharil ethannai niramgalla - mama manasu inni

2)saranam iyappa - anna vaada thambi

3)oru kaithiyin dairy - o manne manne (not ponmanne song )
i think this song may come in between the movie as bit song.

all these songs sung by kamal.

Thyagu

Neel D
26th October 2007, 01:19 AM
Thyagu, I don't have those Kamal songs. If I find them I will host them.

Neel D
26th October 2007, 01:20 AM
Pick #546

Song: sariyena Ezu suranggaLum
Film: Neram Nallaa Irukku
Singers: K.J.Yesudas, Chitra
Lyrics:
Year: 1987

Beautifully composed and nicely sung light-classical song. I have no details on this song. Please fill in the blanks.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/sariyena.rm

raagadevan
26th October 2007, 06:04 AM
Neel D: I think this song is from "nEram nallaa irukku" (1987); with music (most likely) by M.S.V.

RR
26th October 2007, 08:03 AM
Neel,

Good pick. Yes it does sound like a later-day MSV songs (with the 'gum-gum' signature beats).

It's in Pantuvarali family. Similar to 'vandhanam'.

RC
26th October 2007, 08:41 PM
indha paata munbu adikkadi kEttirukkiren... neenda naatkaLukku piRagu meeNdum...
KJY paatu... nichayamaa namma FM-ku theirinjukukum! vandhu blanks-ai fill paNraaraa-nu paarpOm...

baroque
27th October 2007, 04:39 AM
Enchanting yesudas in a lilting melody, beautiful :clap: :ty: Mr.Neel!

madhu
27th October 2007, 05:08 AM
sari sari.. verry very nice... :clap:

jmahesh
28th October 2007, 03:04 AM
I think Neram nalarukku had Ramarajan & Nishanthi( Bhanupriya's sister ) doing the lead roles. It was a Diwali release in 1987 . What a coincidence , the song being( Re)released in TFM after 20 years close to diwali.

Neel D
28th October 2007, 11:10 PM
raagadevan, RR, RC, baroque, madhu and jmahesh,
Thank you.

Neel D
28th October 2007, 11:13 PM
Pick #547

Song: sAnthi My Holy Angel
Film: Taxi Driver
Lyrics:
Year: 1978

Wonderfully inventive creation by the genius MSV. The magical voices of SPB and VJ. It creates a picture of two lovers separated from each other and wandering lost in a wide forest searching for each other. Today's pick is the happy version of the song though it has a haunting effect. There is a sad version which was sung by SPB and, I believe, another lady singer.

Saravanan has written about this song in VJ Songs thread. Click on this link and search for "Taxi Driver" to locate the post.
http://tfmpage.com/forum/25943.6859.02.29.28.html

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/santhi_my.rm

From Mars
29th October 2007, 02:14 AM
RC, indha ithu thaanE vEnaangirathu :)

nEram nalla irukku: touser padam. More popular song (more often played in radios) 'yamma yamma muthu kuLikatumaa' by SPB and SPS.

I have no clue about the Film :)

jmahesh
29th October 2007, 02:56 AM
There are 2 more excellent songs in this movie.
1)Sugamaana sindhanayil by SPB & SJ
2)Idhu rajagopura deepam by MSV & SPB
I hope its OK to provide the links from another site
http://www.dhool.com/sotd2/667.html
http://www.dhool.com/sotd2/585.html

RC
29th October 2007, 06:23 AM
RC, indha ithu thaanE vEnaangirathu :)

nEram nalla irukku: touser padam. More popular song (more often played in radios) 'yamma yamma muthu kuLikatumaa' by SPB and SPS.

I have no clue about the Film :)

FM: ivLO sollitteenga...appadiyE padaththu kadhayum sollidunga :)

gingerbeehk
29th October 2007, 07:09 AM
Wow...what song man. Taxi driver paattai than solluren. Evvalavu naalachu, intha paattai kettu. 80's timele, ceylon radiovil kettathu. Ennai porutha varai intha paatu extremly RARE piece, athil entha maatru karuthum illai. Kalakkiteenga nanba. Ungal pani melum,melum thodarathum.

Jack

madhu
29th October 2007, 08:32 AM
HI neel..

romba naaLAchu indha pAttu kEttu :musicsmile: nostalgic :froggrin:

baroque
29th October 2007, 11:22 AM
Nice nice nice song, NEEL! :musicsmile: :clap:
I love sugamaana... song too!

ORU KODI MALAR KOODI URUVAANAVAL... maadhiry amazing songs host pannungo, Neel!
romba aasaiyaa yerukkey, :)
Vinatha.

Neel D
30th October 2007, 07:04 PM
FM, RC, jmahesh & madhu, thank you.
Jack, glad you enjoyed the song.

Vinatha, thank you. nI oru kOdi was already featured by Ramki.

Neel D
30th October 2007, 07:14 PM
Pick #548

Song: chandhirajOthi
Film: Kamasasthram
Singers: T.K.Kala, Malaysia Vasudevan
Lyrics:

When she sings in her bright and clear voice, T.K.Kala does not just sing the song, she leaves a lasting impression. Her formal training in classical music and her style of singing give her songs a unique old world touch. Her first TFM song "thAyiRchiRantha kOyilum illai" for the film Agathiyar(1972) in Kunnakkudi Vaidyanathan's music became immensely popular. In spite of singing some beautiful and popular light melodies such as "pOi vA nadhi alaiyE", "oru kAthal sAmrAjyam" and hit folk melodies such as "vArEn vazi pArththiruppEn", "vaLLimalai mAn", her career never really took off. The non-film song "manathil ezuthiya kadithanggaL" that TKK sang in the late 70s is spellbinding. And the devotional song "chOttAnikkarai mEvum nArAyaNi" was popular in the late 70s/early 80s. However, the generous music directors of TFM only gave her approximately an average of one song a year in the last 35 years. The quick list I made has 27 songs spanning 35 years. Assuming I had missed about 10 songs it would average around one song a year. And nearly half of the songs in my list are unimaginative and meaningless kuththu songs that I wish she had not sung at all.

Thanks to ARR and the new trend of using a variety of voices, Kala's TFM career was resurrected in the 90s and she went on to sing some good songs such as "ArArO ArirarO", "senggAththE", "kuLichchA kuththAlam" and "chinna poNNu rAsAththi". She has sung film songs under the direction of KVM, MSV, T.R.Papa, V.Dakshinamurthy, S.Rajeswara Rao, Shankar-Ganesh, Kunnakudi Vaidyanathan, Jaya-Vijaya, Soolamangalam Rajalakshmi, S.A.Rajkumar, Deva, ARR, Bharani, and Vidyasagar. But none under Ilaiyaraja. T.K.Kala recently played a supporting role in the film "Veyyil" as Bharath's mother and gave a performance that was praised by the critics. Hope she has some luck with this new career at least.

Today's pick is a nice folk song. Don't know if "Kamasasthram" ever released. The film has a nice solo by VJ (mAnenRum vAnaththu mInenRum) and a dramatic devotional solo by TMS (soundaryakalyANi). The lyrics of today's pick and the VJ solo mention the names of many freedom fighters and political leaders from the state. Thought this song would be appropriate as Pasumpon's centenary celebrations begin today.

Part of the statistics in this post was collected off the internet. Thanks to all who contributed.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/chandhirajothi.rm

madhu
31st October 2007, 05:07 AM
Hi Neel..

its a real rare one ! I heard this only a couple of times, I think ( though I never heard anything about the film :mrgreen: ) .. anyway "kuLichA kuthAlam" is one among the best songs of TKK.

RC
31st October 2007, 07:58 AM
Jack-
I think TKK is the daughter of actress Shanmugasundari who is a supporting actress.

Neel D
1st November 2007, 07:24 PM
Vinatha, you are welcome.

Neel D
1st November 2007, 07:27 PM
Pick #549

Song: muththuppugaz padaiththu
Film: Sivagangai Seemai
Music: Viswanathan-Ramamurthy
Singers: S.Varalakshmi, (Radha)Jayalakshmi
Lyrics: Kannadasan
Year: 1959

The previous pick "chandhirajOthi" mentioned Sivagangai, Chinna Marudhu, Periya Maruthu, etc. and it led me to today's pick. Kannadasan's production "Sivagangai Seemai" is a classic of epic proportions. It is a film that no Tamil film fan should miss.

Two legends come together to sing today's song. They praise the riches, contributions, valor and beauty of their motherland with pride. With the singers, musicians and the grand orchestra the recording studio must have looked like a Thiruviza. Nearly five decades later we can still enjoy a little bit of the festivities through this recording. The audio quality is not the greatest but it is clear enough to enjoy the beauty and the vibrance of the song.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/muththuppugaz.rm

RR
1st November 2007, 08:24 PM
Rare to see such a pure classical keeravani. Thanks for posting, Neel!

Neel D
5th November 2007, 12:10 AM
RR, you are welcome.
Jack, மிக்க நன்றி.

Neel D
5th November 2007, 12:13 AM
Pick #550

Song: yArO manmadhan
Film: Rajathi Rojakkili
Singers: S.P.Balasubramanyam

Another beautiful song by Chandrabose. SPB at his best.

This song is a nEyar viruppam.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/yaro_manmadhan.rm

Neel D
6th November 2007, 06:45 AM
Pick #551

Song: kaNNanai ninaiththAl
Film: Suprabhatam
Singers: K.J.Yesudas, Vani Jairam
Lyrics: Kannadasan

Happy Deepavali!

Thanks to Saravanan for providing the song.
POTW will return after Deepavali.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/kannanai.rm

gingerbeehk
6th November 2007, 07:22 AM
அன்பர்கள்,நண்பர்கள் அனைவர்களுக்கும் என் இனிய தீபாவளி நல்வாழ்த்துக்கள்.

ஜாக்

madhu
6th November 2007, 08:19 AM
எல்லோர் வாழ்விலும் துன்ப இருள் விலகி தீப ஒளியாய் இன்பம் பரவ கண்ணனின் அருள் பெருகும் இனிய தீபாவளி நல்வாழ்த்துக்கள்

Neel D
7th November 2007, 01:17 AM
Pick #552

Song: dhIpanggaL Ayiram
Film: Marumagale Vazhga
Singers: P.Susheela, S.P.Shailaja
Lyrics:
Year: 1982

Happy Deepavali!

Thanks to Jack for contributing this song.
POTW will return next week.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/dhipanggal.rm

baroque
8th November 2007, 12:31 AM
Horray! :bluejump: :redjump: :bluejump: :redjump:

romba romba pudicha pattey idhu yenakku! Prelude gives a reminder to Shri.MSV's raadha kaadhal varaadha..... tune.
:ty: Jack & Neel!!

DIWALI WISHES!!
Love vinatha.

gingerbeehk
8th November 2007, 07:45 AM
நன்றி...நன்றி...நன்றி...NeelD, என் பாடலை பதிவு செய்த உங்களுக்கு மிகவும் நன்றி.

Baroque.. உங்கள் நன்றிக்கு என் மறுநன்றி. என்ன இது? நன்றி அறிவிப்பா போச்சே? சரி..பரவாஇல்லை.

ஜாக்

rajeshkrv
9th November 2007, 11:17 PM
Lyrics by Kavingar Vaali

Punnaimaran
11th November 2007, 04:16 PM
Friends, I'm looking for 2 songs from Vilangu with the same tune one sung by KJY & another by SPB. They start like Unnaithaan Azhaithen and Sollathaan thudithen resply. No idea about MD. If any info pls. share.

priya32
11th November 2007, 09:56 PM
Punnaimaran,

'சொல்லத்தான் நினைத்தேன் என் காதலை சொல்லவே வந்தால் ஏன் சோதனை' sung by SPB (Nice One, I do have this song), But I don't recall hearing KJY's 'Unnaithaan Azhaithen' before!

Neel D
11th November 2007, 10:35 PM
baroque, Jack & rajeshkrv,
Thank you.

Punnaimaran, I can't recall those songs. Lucky us, priya has the song.

Neel D
11th November 2007, 10:39 PM
Pick #553

Song: Urukku mEkkAla
Film: Ponnu Pudichirukku
Singers: S.Janaki

ungga azagula mayangguna sAviththiri azaikkiRAL. AsaiyAi pEsa machchAn varuvIrA?
Another good song from Ponnu Pudichirukku. The song has a nice feel of the 80s and 70s combined.

This song is a nEyar(madhu) viruppam. Thanks to Thyagu for sending the song.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/urukku_mekkala.rm

RC
11th November 2007, 11:41 PM
Punnaimaran,

'சொல்லத்தான் நினைத்தேன் என் காதலை சொல்லவே வந்தால் ஏன் சோதனை' sung by SPB (Nice One, I do have this song), But I don't recall hearing KJY's 'Unnaithaan Azhaithen' before!

vilangu MD shyam-aa?

baroque
12th November 2007, 07:21 AM
:ty: :ty: Neel, two decades + i am listening to this song!

priya32
12th November 2007, 08:04 AM
RC,

Yes, the MD of 'Vilangu' is Shyam(my favorite)!

Punnaimaran
12th November 2007, 10:46 AM
Priya32
Those are exactly the words of that song sung by SPB. But there is also a song from KJY starting like 'Unnaithaan azhaithen thEn mullaiye; nilavE ingE nee illayE:; thuyaram sollavE vaay illaiyE; nilavum kaatrum irundhum nee illayE. I know the full lyrics of the song as I had these songs 10 yrs back when I was in India. yesterday I got the song sollathaan from coolgoose. Anyway thanks a lot. Also please watch out for the KJY's version.

madhu
13th November 2007, 07:21 AM
HI Neel..

:ty:

gingerbeehk
13th November 2007, 07:31 AM
இது என்ன சந்திரபோஸ் வாரமா? ஆனாலும் பாட்டு ரொம்பவே பிடிச்சிருந்துது. நன்றி தலைவா.

Jack

priya32
14th November 2007, 05:03 AM
Hi NeelD,

Can I request for this song 'Ila Manathinil Ezhum Kanavinil' from 'Manjal Nila' sung by K.J.Jesudoss and B.S.Sasireka!

Thanks,
Priya

Neel D
14th November 2007, 06:18 AM
baroque, madhu and Jack, you are welcome.

Jack, it is going to be a mixed week.

Priya, I have a bunch of KJY duets, let me see if I have Manjal Nila.

Neel D
14th November 2007, 06:27 AM
Pick #554

Song: sangga thamizO
Film: Vizhiyora Kavithai
Singers: P.Jayachandran
Lyrics:
Year: 1989

A nice light classical by Shankar-Ganesh. Nothing too fancy. It mainly rides on the sweetness of the voice of PJ. The humming voice is probably Vidhya. The lyrics suggest that this may be a fan, or boyfriend, or both, singing about a film actress describing her beauty and how much she means to him. Vizhiyora Kavithai may be the story of a bunch of friends trying to make a movie together. That is what another song from the film suggests. Anyone seen the film?

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/sangga_thamizo.rm

gingerbeehk
14th November 2007, 07:39 AM
ஜெயச்சந்திரனின் காந்தக்குரலில், சங்கர்-கணேஷின் சுகந்த இசையில், மனதை வருடும் ரம்மியமான பாடல். இது முற்றிலும் புதுமுகங்கள் நடித்த படம். ஒருமுறை தொலைகாட்சியில் பார்த்த ஞாபகம். இந்த படத்தில் எல்லா பாடல்களுமே இனிமையாக இருக்கும். என்னிடம் கூட இந்த படத்தின் ஒலிநாடா இருக்கிறது என்று நினைக்கிறேன்,தேடி பார்க்க வேண்டும்.

அழகான காலை பொழுதில்,இனிமையான பாடல் தந்த NeelDக்கு நன்றி...

Jack

SN23
14th November 2007, 02:18 PM
Neel: Good song by PJC. I remember heroine is Pallavi with some newcomer as Hero. Yes, the female voice is Vidya's.

bobgalee
14th November 2007, 09:54 PM
Wud be happy if these songs find a place in POW thread

Manithooral Thoovum by SPB
Mettu Ennai Meettu by SPB and Chitra

Both from Yuhi Sethu's first movie Maathangal 7

Neel D
16th November 2007, 05:44 AM
Jack & SN23, you are welcome.

bobgalee, I will look for those songs.

Neel D
16th November 2007, 05:48 AM
Pick #555

Song: AgAyam bUmi yAvilum
Film: Veeramani
Music: ?
Singers: K.J.Yesudas, ?
Lyrics:
Year: 1994

A slow and smooth melody from the 90s. Considering all that that was churned out in the 90s this is a pleasant change. Nice tune and interludes. Does anyone have any information about the MD of this film? Do not know who the female singer is either (Lalita Sagari???). "Veeramani" starred "Krodham" Prem and Yuvarani apparently. Surprised to learn that Prem has acted in 9 or 10 films so far. Because I could only recall about 4.

Since I don't have "Manjal Nila" at the moment, for the time being this song substitutes the nEyar(Priya) viruppam.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/agayam_bumi.rm

priya32
17th November 2007, 02:26 AM
NeelD,

நான் மறந்தேபோன அருமையான & மனதுக்கு இதமான பாடல் கொடுத்தமைக்கு நன்றி! Feels good to listen to such songs you haven't heard for ages! :)

Thanks Again,
Priya

Neel D
18th November 2007, 10:38 PM
Priya,
You are welcome.

(Where is everyone else?)

Neel D
18th November 2007, 10:44 PM
Pick #556

Song: Or iravil kARRu
Film: Puriyatha Puthir
Music: S.A.Rajkumar
Singers: P.Susheela, K.J.Yesudas
Lyrics: S.A.Rajkumar
Year: 1990

S.A.Rajkumar was climbing up the ladder very fast in the late 80s with his beautiful songs from "Chinna Poove Mella Pesu", "Masasukkul Mathappu", etc. He was certainly good for a few years and then, something happened. He got stuck in a loop. He still has not found his way out. Today's pick is from his better years. The song simply sounds so different compared to what he has been composing(recycling) from the deadly loop. While listening to his early compositions one cannot help but think why SAR wont try a little harder and reinvent himself.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/or_iravil_karru.rm

bobgalee
18th November 2007, 11:27 PM
Thanks for posting a song from puriyatha puthir
(oor iravil kaatru vanthathu naan kavignan paattu vanthathu)

There is a club dance song (dancer - ananth babu) sung by SPB
in this movie. Song goes as

sa sa ni ni dha dha pa pa re re sangeetham sangeetham...

Post it as a next entry in POW

Thanks

baroque
19th November 2007, 06:12 AM
Around 95-97 India trip, I remember watching a duet by Sangeetha and Vijaykanth, I don't remember the lyrics or movie, adhu yenna pattu nnu yaaravadhu sollarelaa? :D :oops:

raagadevan
19th November 2007, 06:16 AM
Neel D:

I used to think that I knew almost all, if not all, of KJY's TFM songs :) You spring a few surprises at times, and now I have to change my mind!! I never heard this song before. Thank you for all your hard work :)

gingerbeehk
19th November 2007, 09:55 AM
சும்மா...நச்சுன்னு இருக்கு, புரியாத புதிர் பாட்டு. நன்றி தலைவா.

Jack

Neel D
21st November 2007, 04:16 AM
bobgalee, you are welcome. I don't have the "sa sa ni ni" song at the moment. I will look for it.

baroque, if I find out about that movie I will let you know.

raagadevan, you are welcome. Glad to be able to surprise you with a rare song.

Jack, you are welcome.

Neel D
21st November 2007, 04:23 AM
Pick #557

Song: Alanggatti mAmazaiyA
Film: Ezhudhatha Sattangal
Singers: S.P.Balasubramanyam, S.P.Shailaja

"Ezhudhatha Sattangal" starred Sivaji Ganesan and Srividya. Wonder if this couple acted together in any film other than this and "Imayam". The song takes you back by decades. Typical 80s IR. One of the best songs of SPS.

You can feel it raining in the music... Look out the window... It could be raining there too...

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/alanggatti.rm

RC
21st November 2007, 07:28 AM
Ezhuthatha sattangaL was a Malayalam remake with huge list of actors in the cast. I dont think Sivaji was Srividya's jodi in this movie. I remember Sarathbabu, Nambiar from the list.

tvsankar
21st November 2007, 08:55 AM
Dear Neel,
Thanks for the nice song.

SP.Shilaya indha paatil padara style - sila idangalil P.Susheela vai ninaivu paduthugiradhu.

padal enna ragam??

From Mars
21st November 2007, 07:49 PM
RC :)

Srividya was Jaishankar's Jodi in the movie. Sarath babu (Sivaji's Son), Nalini, Jaishankar are the rest of the cast.

madhu
21st November 2007, 08:05 PM
Around 95-97 India trip, I remember watching a duet by Sangeetha and Vijaykanth, I don't remember the lyrics or movie, adhu yenna pattu nnu yaaravadhu sollarelaa? :D :oops:

Hi Baroque..

r u telling about "Alexander" song... ?

( lyrics marandhu pOchu... "nadhiyOram veesum thenRal malarOdu pEsumA ? " appadinnu ennavO varum :oops: )

Plum
22nd November 2007, 12:23 AM
madhu, yes, that might be it. You got the lyrics perfectly correct. Possibly Karthik Raja's first assignment as an independent MD, though Manikkam released first.
The song, in places, reminds of phrases from "Aagaya Gangai" from dharma yuddham

gingerbeehk
22nd November 2007, 07:15 AM
"ஆலங்கட்டி மழை" பனித்தூரல்களாய் மனதுக்கும், செவிக்கும், குளிர்ச்சியாக இருந்தது. மீண்டும்,மீண்டும் கேட்கத்தூண்டும் இனிய பாடல். நன்றி NeelD.

Jack

baroque
23rd November 2007, 01:34 AM
Madhu, Yes andha paattudhaan. Sangeetha was running around Vijaykanth.

Neel D
23rd November 2007, 01:35 AM
RC and From Mars, thanks for the details.

Usha, you are wecome. I remember reading somewhere a long time ago that SPS wanted to be like PS and imitated PS's style. Then SPB apparently advised her to develop her own style and identity. I don't know the song's ragam. RR, baroque or ragadevan should know.

Jack, you are welcome.

Neel D
23rd November 2007, 01:36 AM
Pick #558

Song: manggalam ponggum
Film: Maduraiyai Meetta Sundarapandiyan
Singers: Vani Jairam, ?
Lyrics: Muthulingam
Year: 1978

A semiclassical composition by MSV with beautiful words of Muthulingam, sharp voice of Vani Jairam and majestic nattuvangam by an unknown artiste. Few years ago Saravanan wrote about this song in VJ songs thread. But I cannot find it now. Thanks to sk for sending this song.

Happy Karthigai Dheepam!

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/manggalam_mms.rm

baroque
23rd November 2007, 02:16 AM
Spectacular Raga KALYANI!

We are very thankful for your awesome song selections, Neel!! :ty:

One lovely duet just for your listening pleasure, Neel!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SMA_G8GohMc

Hope you like it as much as I adore!(clean cut Jaisankar, neat & tidy fellow
:bluejump: )
Thanksgiving wishes from our house to yours - TFMPAGE families!

yvsmani
23rd November 2007, 03:49 PM
VJ's sweet voice, semi classical composition - idhu ellaam irunthum pattu konjam dull agha thaan irukku....... I am hearing for the first time

gingerbeehk
24th November 2007, 07:11 AM
Nice classical based song with VJ's honeydew voice. Keep it up buddy.

Jack

Neel D
25th November 2007, 10:07 PM
baroque, you are welcome. Thanks for the lovely song link.

yvsmani & Jack, thanks.

Neel D
25th November 2007, 10:09 PM
Pick #559

Song: kaNNukkazagA oru vaNNakkuruvi
Film: Vetrimaalai
Singers: Mano, K.S.Chitra
Year: 1990

A slightly folkish melody by Shankar-Ganesh. Sounds like an IR song, but it is not. That is what makes this different. Mano and Chitra do a good job. A very pleasant and light song you can really enjoy on a quiet night.

Vetrimaalai apparently starred Murali and Seetha.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/kannukkazaga.rm

gingerbeehk
26th November 2007, 07:17 AM
அழகான பாடல். முதல்முறையாக இப்பொழுதுதான் இந்த பாட்டை கேட்கிறேன்.இந்த பாடலை கேட்கும்போது கே.பாக்கியராஜின் "ஆராரோ ஆரிரரோ" படத்தில் வரும் "கண்ணுக்கொரு நிலவா என்னைபடைச்சான்" பாட்டு நினைவில் வருவதை தவிர்க்கமுடியவில்லை.

"வெற்றிமாலை" என்றொரு படம் வெளிவந்ததா? நினைவு இல்லை.!! நன்றி NeelD. இன்னும் இதே போல் அதிகம் கேட்டிராத பாடல்களை எதிர்பார்க்கிறோம்.

bobgalee
26th November 2007, 01:43 PM
Any chance to hear Veenai Sirippu Aasai Azhaippu from Nool Veli thru POW??????

yvsmani
26th November 2007, 03:18 PM
gingerbeehk solvathu pol intha paadal-in initial starting 'en kannukoru nilavaa" polavae irukku. nice song. never heard song
thanks Neel

Neel D
28th November 2007, 05:39 AM
Jack & yvsmani, you are welcome.

bobgalee, I don't have a good recording of vINai sirippu. I may have to substitute.

Neel D
28th November 2007, 05:43 AM
Pick #560

Song: kanniththEnE ivaL
Film: Ambigai Neril Vanthaal
Singers: Vani Jairam, Ramesh

A fast paced, beautiful duet by IR, for another Mohan movie. Ramesh has a good voice but he must have sung less than five songs in his tfm career. Don't know where he is now. Also, this is one of the songs by VJ during her shortlived return to IR's music in the mid 80s.

This song is a nEyar viruppam.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/kanni_thene.rm

gingerbeehk
28th November 2007, 07:15 AM
Good song. I have heard this song many times in Singapore Radio Oli 96.8. Male voice (Ramesh) similar like Mano. Thanks for post this song.

Jack

bobgalee
28th November 2007, 06:32 PM
ramesh na...

japanil kalyana ramaan padathile raathe en raathe , pagal nilavule vaarayo vaanmathi
paattu paadinavar dhaane...

priya32
28th November 2007, 06:55 PM
Singer Ramesh has a beautiful voice, I wish he could have sung more songs than a few...my favorite from his songs is 'Oru Naalil Valarndhene, Malarndhene Devane' from 'Unnaithedi Varuven', paired with S.Janaki...meendum meendum thigattaamal ketka thoondum paadal!

gingerbeehk
29th November 2007, 07:15 AM
Singer Ramesh has a beautiful voice, I wish he could have sung more songs than a few...my favorite from his songs is 'Oru Naalil Valarndhene, Malarndhene Devane' from 'Unnaithedi Varuven', paired with S.Janaki...meendum meendum thigattaamal ketka thoondum paadal!

I wonder...Oru Naalil Malarnthene sung by Ramesh. Yes, undoughtably beautiful song. Thanks for the information Priya32.

Jack

Neel D
30th November 2007, 01:03 AM
You are welcome Jack.
bobgalee, I think it is the same Ramesh.
Priya, "oru nALil" is a really good song.

Neel D
30th November 2007, 01:04 AM
Pick #561

Song: enakkum unakkum
Film: Puthiya Sangamam
Singers: S.Janaki, S.P.Balasubramanyam

I heard this song for the first time only a few weeks ago. Never heard of the film either. The film apparently starred Prabhu, Suhasini and Chandrasekar. A nice and rare song. Another website credits a Ramakrishnaraja for the music. Never heard of him either and not sure if the information is correct. The song has some TeFM resemblance. SJ and SPB do a great job. The humming in the song reminds me of another TFM song. Can anyone guess what song I am thinking?

Thanks to Priya for sending this song.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/enakkum_unakkum.rm

tvsankar
30th November 2007, 08:38 AM
Dear Neel,
இந்தப் பாட்டைக் கேட்டதும் எம்.எஸ்.வி. யின் - இந்த வஞ்சி மகள் ஒரு ஊதாப்பூ என்றப் பாட்டுத் தான் எனக்கு நினைவில் வருகிறது.

இசை அமைப்பு , எம்.எஸ்.வியை நினைவுப் படுத்துகிறது.

ப்ரியா, நீல்,

ஒரு நாளில் மலர்ந்தேனே பாட்டில், ரமேஷின் குரல் - மனோவோ என்று தோன்ற வைக்கிறது.

அன்புடன்,
உஷா ஷங்கர்.

RR
30th November 2007, 10:10 AM
Neel,

Song is indeed MSV-ish. It also resembles 'mandhira punnagai' (manal kayiru) perhaps because of the revati raga base.

Incidentally I caught few mins of this movie on sun tv last week. You got the starcast correct. What surprised me was: it's directed by charuhassan. But the only directorial touch I noticed in the first half-hour was: the movie put me into sleep despite my willingness to watch it :)

SN23
30th November 2007, 11:15 AM
Neel: Good Telungish song... :-) In the same movie "Puthiya Sangamam", there is an excellent semi-classical song "Pancha SurangaLe HindoLam" by P.Susila. Have you heard that? If you need, I shall send to you.

gingerbeehk
1st December 2007, 08:17 AM
Unakkum Enakkum from "Puthiya Sangamam" is really an nice song. I think this movie music composed by L.Vaithiyanaathan. On the same period L.V. music for one more movie name," Lottery Ticket", also casting by Pirabu & Suhaasini.

Thanks for good song NeelD.

Jack

Neel D
1st December 2007, 10:46 PM
Usha, thank you. Yes, the song is MSV-ish. Now that you mentioned it, I see a resemblance to "intha vanjimagaL". I was actually thinking of another song, just the humming part. The song is "ponnukkenna azahgu ahahah ahahah hmmm" from the film "En Magan". One of my many favorites of MSV songs.

RR, thank you. No wonder I have never heard about the film. The fifteen people who went to see it must have slept too. The song has some "mandhira punnagai" resemblance also.

SN23, thank you. I have not heard that PS song.

Jack, you are welcome.

See y'all tomorrow with the next song.

Neel D
2nd December 2007, 11:56 PM
Pick #562

Song: pAdu Oh pUkkaL
Film: ?
Singer: Swarnalatha
Year: ?

Today's pick is a nice, slow, and dramatic tune that Swarnalatha gave her best for. Swarnalatha sings so beautifully if the song is set in a comfortable range and at a slow tempo. Most of the songs in the early part of her career were composed to bring out the best in her. Unfortunately starting the mid-90s she was given too many high-pitched, fast-paced dance numbers which compromised clarity and at times was almost inaudible. But today's pick is not one of those and it probably is from the early 90s. The song has the scope for a good rendtition and Swarnalatha makes full use of it. The interludes could have been richer and dramatic like the tune, but may be they did not have a budget as big. I have no details about the composer, film, year, etc. Please fill in the blanks.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/padu_oh_pukkal.rm

yvsmani
3rd December 2007, 03:06 PM
enakku nee unakku naan inimel enna kurai - this got good air time in ilangai vaanoli compared to no. of days the film ran.

paadu oh pukkal - I am listening for the first time. good rendition by SL, average interludes.

gingerbeehk
4th December 2007, 07:11 AM
Very 1st time listening this song. To be honest, very average one. Can someone say, which movie this song from?

jack

Neel D
4th December 2007, 11:26 PM
So, no one on this big, beautiful planet knows a thing about "pAdu Oh pUkkaL nI sUdu"???

yvsmani and Jack, thank you.

Neel D
4th December 2007, 11:27 PM
Pick #563

Song: vAnam thEdum mEgam
Film: Engirunthalum Vazhga
Singer: K.J.Yesudas

A sober and simple Salilesque song. KJY is smooth as ever. No information about the composer or the year.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/vanam_thedum.rm

balaji
5th December 2007, 04:31 AM
Simple song, thanks Neel D. Sounds like a Malayalam Song.

However

Indian Cinema DB says: Not sure if this is correct

Name of the film: Engirunthalum Vazhga Direction: Parambai R. Selvaraj (1985)
Music: Sankar Ganesh
Artiste 1: Raghuvaran Artiste 2: Menaka
Language: Tamil

I thought Menaka stopped acting after 81/82 in tamil and moved to Mallu world. (After OPPOL became a HIT) - I know she acted in at least 50 films after OPPOL ..

Bala

Neel D
7th December 2007, 02:02 AM
balaji, you are welcome. Thanks for the details about the film.

Neel D
7th December 2007, 02:04 AM
Pick #564

Song: sEla kudai pidikka
Film: Ayiram Muthangal
Singer: S.P.Balasubramanyam, Vani Jairam
Year: 1982

A nice duet by Shankar-Ganesh, an unusual composition especially for its time. Even today the song retains its uniqueness. With the swara singing contrasting the colloquial words, the violin work, the touch-and-go lyrics and the mischievous voices, the song deserves more popularity than it has had. The film starred Sivakumar and Radha.

This song is a nEyar(Jack) viruppam.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/sela_kudai.rm

arunprasad
7th December 2007, 04:58 AM
I cant thank you enough Neel D for this song. I am hearing this song after decades. In fact i couldnt remember the initial lyrics to request for the song. but the tune kept on lingering.
Finally i know what the song is and i can hear it again and again.

gingerbeehk
7th December 2007, 07:11 AM
Thanks a lot NeelD. I have been expecting so long to post this marvelous melody on this page...finaly, its here today. I can say, this song is one of the master piece by Shankar-Ganesh. I think the lyrics by either Vairamuthu or Vaali.

Wonderful song indeed.

Jack

baroque
7th December 2007, 11:52 PM
Hey Neel, you rock!! :thumbsup: :ty:

:bluejump: You made me very happy this morning. it was my favorite during my school days,
Can't get enough of flirtatious Balu, what this man can do with his voice! Songs with Balu's playful allure, romba romba pudikkum yenakku! :bluejump:

vinatha.

bobgalee
8th December 2007, 01:05 PM
violin - num pennum ondramma
oru mutham thanthathum paaduthamma

nu laam ilamaiyaa ezhuthuvatharku Vaalee yai vitta vera yaar irukkaanga

Intha padathileye thaga thaga vanthen nu innoru paattum irukkirathu.. athaiyum POW aaga podunga.

Ithu en neyar viruppam

Neel D
9th December 2007, 11:36 PM
arunprasad, Welcome to the thread. Glad to know your long search for this song ended here. Thanks to Jack for requesting it.

Jack, you are welcome. It sure is one of the best by S-G.

baroque, you are welcome. Glad to take you back to your school days.

bobgalee, thank you. I will look for that song.

Neel D
9th December 2007, 11:55 PM
http://raretfm.mayyam.com/pow07/images/paperiyanayaki.jpg
Pick #565

Song: kanivudan thirumbiyE pArum
Film: Ezhai Padum Paadu
Music: S.M.Subbiah Naidu
Singer: P.A.Periyanayaki
Year: 1950

P.A.Periyanayaki was one of the famous playback singers in the 40s and 50s. She was a classical singer on stage and also acted in some films in the 40s. One of Periyanayaki's evergreen hits is "aruL thArum dhEva mAthAvE", a duet with Jikki, for the film "Gnanasoundari". Today's pick was also a huge hit in its time.

Considering that Periyanayaki sang playback for Rukmini(Lakshmi's mother) in the film "Srivalli" in 1945, she is one of the earliest playback singers, though not the first. The first playback singer in TFM is Lalita Venkataraman from Mumbai who lent her voice for actress T.P.Rajalakshmi in the film "Nandakumar" produced by AVM in 1938.

"Ezhai Padum Paadu" produced by Pakshiraja Studios in Coimbatore had V.Nagiah in the lead. I have seen at least three different people being credited for the music in this film (S.M.Subbiah Naidu, C.R.Subbaraman and V.Nagiah). May be all three of them contributed. But I settled for S.M.Subbiah Naidu based on an article in The Hindu.

The sisters Lalitha and Padmini, who were only performing dances in films till then, were given big parts to play in this film. And Ragini doubled for V.Gopalakrishnan in a song sequence. Today's pick is for Lalitha, who sings the song while begging on the street for money. This song may be one of the earliest songs to have so many English words in the lyrics.

Part of the statistics in the post was collected off the internet. Thanks to all who contributed.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/kanivudan.rm

tfmlover
10th December 2007, 09:37 PM
Hi NeelDJ
Ezhai Padum Paadu
Director : K Ramnath
Story : Suthanandha Bharathiyaar
Dialogue: IlangOvan
Songs Lyrics : Y A Gobalakirishnan
MD : SMS , supervision credits to V.Nagiah
Songs : MLV , Periyanaayaki , Jayaluxhmi and Trichy Loganathan

(posts padum paadu ! not able to see many pages
hope this be noticed )

regards

Neel D
11th December 2007, 09:23 AM
tfmlover, thanks for the details.

Y'all, for some reason I am addicted to this song. Decided to post the lyrics for this song because I have almost memorized it, except for a few missing words.

ஓ...ஓ... அய்யா வாங்க!
ஓ...ஓ... அம்மா வாங்க!
கனிவுடன் திரும்பியே பாரும்
ஒரு காசுமே தாரும்
Coatடு பக்கம் காசு எடுத்து
பிடி வீசி ஏழைப்பெண்ணை
ஒரு காசுமே தாரும்
Coatடு பக்கம் காசு எடுத்து
பிடி வீசி ஏழைப்பெண்ணை
ஆ...ஆ...

உய்ய்ய்...
முறுக்கின மீசை - பார்க்கவே பொங்குதே ஆசை
முறுக்கின மீசை - பார்க்கவே பொங்குதே ஆசை
பானை வயிறு பேசுதே தாராளமே தானே
பானை வயிறு பேசுதே தாராளமே தானே
யோசிக்காம நீங்க நல்பேரு வாங்கி போங்க
வேஷம் போடாதீங்க அய்யா (கனிவுடன்)
ஆ...ஆ...

உய்ய்ய்...
டக் டக் Bootடு - ஓ! Sirஏ உடைகள் Neatடு
டக் டக் Bootடு - ஓ! Sirஏ உடைகள் Neatடு
தலைமுடி Hatடு - உன் பூட்டு வினோதமே
ஒய்யாரமாமே உன் Pipeம் கைப்பிரம்புமே
அழகுராசன் சதிவிலாசன் எனது நேசன்
அன்பு மட்டும் இருந்தால் ஓ! தர்மராசன் (கனிவுடன்)
ஆ...ஆ...

அல்லி தொடுமல்லி கோமளவல்லி
அல்லி தொடுமல்லி கோமளவல்லி - நீ
இல்லை என்னாது சொல்லி - நீ
இல்லை என்னாது சொல்லி
போடு சல்லி
கை நீட்டுவோரின் கவலை தீர
காசு போடுவாயே
என் காமவல்லி
கை நீட்டுவோரின் கவலை தீர
காசு போடுவாயே
என் காமவல்லி (கனிவுடன்)
ஆ...ஆ...

(விட்டுப்போன சொற்களை இட்டுத் தருபவருக்கு பதினாயிரம் பொற்காசுகள் பரிசாக வழங்கப்படும்!)
:)

rajraj
11th December 2007, 09:57 AM
Neel: The missing words are 'kOttu pakkam'.

You have to go back 60 or more years to understand that line. People used to wear a coat (jacket) with vEshti filled the side pocket
with change. She wants change from the side pocket of the man's coat! :) I remember looking for fresh one anna coins from my father's coat pocket! :)

I will settle for one ounce gold coin! :lol: :lol: :lol:

It is only $800! :)

Neel D
11th December 2007, 11:01 AM
கோட்டுப் பக்கம் காட்டிக்கொடுத்த ராஜ் அய்யாவுக்கு தங்கக்காசென்ன காசு, தங்கப்பாளமே பரிசாக வழங்கப்படுகிறது!

http://www.milliondollarbill.com/ingots3gb.jpg

நன்றி rajraj Sir!

Neel D
12th December 2007, 02:30 AM
Pick #566

Song: thUthuvaLai ilai araichchu
Film: Thaai Manasu
Music: Deva
Singers: S.Janaki, Mano
Year: 1994

Another song with many unknowns. Those who know please fill in the blanks.
Heard this song for the first time only a few days ago. Thanks to Priya for sending the song.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/thuthuvalai_ilai.rm

priya32
12th December 2007, 03:04 AM
Hi Neel,

Oru chinna correction...it is Mano's voice...not SPB's!

Thanks,
Priya

Neel D
12th December 2007, 03:19 AM
Thanks Priya.

madhu
12th December 2007, 07:08 PM
idhuthaan nijamaana rare song ! :mrgreen:

rajeshkrv
13th December 2007, 04:37 AM
i'm forgetting the name
but it was a Kasthuri raja film
which had saravanan, babloo,swarna, meera and Manorama

Manorama played a furious mother and music was by deva

this song is picturised on Meera and Babloo

SN23
13th December 2007, 11:23 AM
Neel: ThoodhuvaLai elai arachu is from Thaai Manasu, directed by Dhanush' father Kasthoori rAjA. OrE oru scene Sun-TV-la kAmichAn.. AvLo thAn.. mayangi pOitEn :lol:

Neel D
13th December 2007, 10:53 PM
madhu, appadinnA maRRa pAdalgaL ellAm medium rare-aa? well done-aa? :)
You are right. It is a rare song. Thanks to Priya.

rajeshkrv & SN23, thanks for the details.

SN23, could you elaborate on your mayakkam? nInggaL mattum siriththAl pOthumA? :)

Neel D
13th December 2007, 10:56 PM
Pick #567

Song: en nenjil paLLi koNda
Film: Nyayam Ketkiren
Music: Gangai Amaran

A brisk and lively duet, typical of Gangai Amaran. A very jovial and energetic man, the multi-talented GA lets his personality come through in many of his compositions.

Nyayam Ketkiren starred Anandbabu and Devibala. Anandbabu had a great start in TF. But he did not have the ability to sustain it, like Mike Mohan could. Apparently Anandbabu's vices got the best of him.

SPB and VJ do a great job. The individuality and originality that the singers of that time and before brought to the table, today's singers are not able to, except may be a very very few.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/en_nenjil_palli.rm

baroque
14th December 2007, 02:43 AM
:bluejump: :ty: :redjump: :musicsmile:
Mr.Neel :clap:

RC
14th December 2007, 08:00 AM
nyayam kEtkiREn had Jeeva in the lead. With no offers following, he was veRi naai vEngayan in nallavanukku nallavan. I dont remember seeing him in any other films. This song comes just before the interval. The group of villains led by venu arvind abuse Devibala and critically injure Ananthbabu. Post interval Jeeva goes after the villains and kills them.
poovE ponnamma pOtti ennama by MV is another good number from this, where Ananthbabu showcases his dancing skills.

This movie was remade in Hindi with Rajini & Zeenat ( I think) in the lead. The name of the movie eludes me. I'm not sure if the song Raja-ji bOlO-ji was in this movie or another one.

gingerbeehk
14th December 2007, 03:37 PM
Nice...Nice...song, Romba naala ketkka vendum endru ninaitha paadal. Ninaippathu mattume engal urimai....mudithu vappathu ungal kadamai...NeelD. Engal manamarinthu paadal podum neengal vazhga.

Jack

bobgalee
15th December 2007, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the rare spb song with vaaniji from niyaayam ketkiren.

That thoothuvalai song is from thaai manasu movie.

thankz.

Neel D
17th December 2007, 02:28 AM
baroque, Jack & bobgalee, you are welcome.

RC & bobgalee, thanks for the details.

Neel D
17th December 2007, 02:32 AM
Pick #568

Song: thiruvarul tharum theivam
Film: Thirumalai Deivam
Music: Kunnakkudi Vaidyanathan
Singer: T.R.Mahalingam
Lyrics:
Year: 1973

We will begin mArgazi with the bright and majestic voice of T.R.Mahalingam. He gave us so many evergreen classics in his high-pitched, theater-trained, powerful, big voice. TRM landed in tamil films as an actor/singer when MKT was riding high. And there was PUC who was a strong contender too. But each one brought in their uniqueness and secured themselves a solid spot in TFM. What a glorious era it must have been for the music lovers of the time!

Listening to TRM's "kAyAtha kAnagaththE" from "Sri Valli"(1945) will leave one speechless, from his voice that is so overpowering, and by his amazing artistry. And there is "senthamiz thEn moziyAL" from "Maalai Itta Mangai"(1958) loved by people of all ages and generations. "thinggaL mudi", the kuRavanji style song from the same film needs a special mention too. There are many more classics such as "kaNgaLin veNNilavE", a duet with P.Bhanumathi from the film "Manimekalai"(1959), "Asai koNdEn amuthamE" from the film "Aada Vantha Deivam"(1960), "nAn theivamA" form "Kavalai Illatha Manithan"(1960), "isaiththamiz nI seitha" from "Thiruvilaiyadal"(1965), "isaiyAi senthamizAi" from "Agathiyar"(1972) and "thenRalOdu udan piRanthAL"(accompanied by a lion's roar) and "thanjai periyakOyil" from the film "Raja Raja Cholan"(1973).

As times changed and music trend changed in the late 1940s, all three of them(MKT,PUC.TRM) found themselves out of work or working very less in TF. As T.R.Mahalingam outlived the other two (he was also much younger than MKT and PUC) he sang in TFM well into the 1970s. TRM also had a short period of successful return to TF in the late 1950s after nearly eight years of lull.

Sometimes, I wonder, what if TRM had taken up playback singing, when the movie offers stopped coming. Because he proved he could change his style to fit the lightness in the music of the 1950s. Listen to his beautiful low-pitched rendition of "nAn anRi yAr varuvAr", a duet with A.P.Komala for the film "Maalai Itta Mangai"(1958), or "Adaikatti vantha nilavO", a duet with PS for the film "Amudhavalli"(1959). Well, that is just my selfishness talking. Who would have had the nerve to make that kind of proposition to a legend like TRM? (What? Me? Sing playback? GET OUT!) :)

Just like everything else, TFM also has a heritage. Some of us wish that it would be preserved in its purity. Those who are not familiar with T.R.Mahalingam's body of work, please enjoy the songs in their original form, before some "hip" music director remixes and butchers them. Almost all songs mentioned in this post, and more, are available for listening at hummaa.com. More information on TRM is available at tfmpage in a thread dedicated to TRM, under Memories of Yesteryears. Others, please pardon my preaching to the choir. :)

Part of the statistics in this post was collected off the internet. Thanks to all who contributed.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/thiruvarul_tharum.rm

RR
18th December 2007, 03:31 PM
Good ragamalika and writeup, Neel!

NOV
18th December 2007, 07:00 PM
Lovely song. Movie was special as it had all popular singers of that time singing in just one film - TMS, PS, LRE, KB Sundrambal (naalellaam undha thrunaalE & Ezhumalai rukka), S. Varaletchumi (neela nira mEgamellaam), etc.

Neels, you forgot to mention TRM's duet with SG - namachivaaya ena sollvOmE/naarayanaa ena sollvOmE...

Neel D
19th December 2007, 03:11 AM
RR & NOV, thank you.

NOV, "namachivAya" is a good song too. I missed that one.

Neel D
19th December 2007, 03:12 AM
Pick #569

Song: nAn yArO
Singers: S.P.Balasubramanyam, K.S.Chitra

A nice duet with a touch of melancholy.
Many unknowns. Those who know the details please fill in the blanks.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/nan_yaro_nerru.rm

madhu
19th December 2007, 06:34 PM
eppavO kEtta gnAbagam ! :oops:
but endha detail-um gnAbagam varaliyE :cry2:
( love song-A ? pEi song-A ? :shaking: :boo: )

gingerbeehk
20th December 2007, 08:57 AM
Nalla paattaa irukke? Ketta nyabhagame illai....unmaiyileye rare song-thaan ithu. Yaaravathu enna padathin paadal ithunnu sonnaal...punniyamaa pogum.

Jack

Neel D
21st December 2007, 12:11 AM
madhu & Jack, thanks. This song still remains a mystery.

Neel D
21st December 2007, 12:14 AM
Pick #570

Song: athE kAthal athE gItham
Film: Kadhal Geetham
Singer: S.P.Balasubramanyam
Year: 1988

Kadhal Geetham starring Karthik and Shobhana was probably dubbed from Telugu film Abhinandana. The tune of today's pick was originally used for another Tamil film, then went to Telugu and then dubbed back into Tamil. The original song "orE rAgam orE thAlam" was probably scored for the film "Amudhaganam"(1985), not sure. Though the composition travelled across the border and returned, the color remained intact. Incidentally, Amudhaganam also has another nice song, a duet by VJ & Ramesh, that begins "veLLi nilA pathumai".

I came across a song in a new Telugu film. IR has recycled his own "mayangginEn solla thayangginEn" with new singers and with 21st century orchestration. May be this version is a hit too, no idea. I won't be surprised if this film is dubbed into Tamil and "mayangginEn" finds its way back to Tamil, only sounding all different now.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/athe_kathal.rm

gingerbeehk
22nd December 2007, 01:07 PM
Pure Raja's style of song. The informations are very new to me...interesting hah.... Thanks NeelD. As usual you rocks.

Jack

Neel D
23rd December 2007, 09:59 PM
Jack, you are welcome.

Neel D
23rd December 2007, 10:07 PM
Pick #571

Song: dhEvan kOyilmaNi
Film: Kuzhandhai Yesu

Merry Christmas!

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/dhevan_koyilmani.rm

madhu
24th December 2007, 06:59 AM
Merry Christmas to All ! :redjump:

gingerbeehk
24th December 2007, 03:46 PM
Very nice song. Really an wonderful song to devote to Christmas. You have done wonderful job NeelD. Thank you somuch.

WISH YOU ALL MERRY CHRISTMAS.

Jack

priya32
25th December 2007, 12:27 AM
Neel...Thanks for Shyam's 'Devan Koyil Mani'! Very nice song...a forgotton elegant song!

Merry Christmas Everyone! :)

Sanguine Sridhar
25th December 2007, 02:21 PM
/Dig

Neel all your avatars are fantastic, though I have least knowledge about this thread, I will step in to see your avatars.. cool..! :P

End dig /

jmahesh
25th December 2007, 05:22 PM
Neel
The new telugu version of 'mayanginen' is from the movie Anumaanaspadam.A couple of songs from this movie have a 'oru naal oru kanavu' feel.

jmahesh
25th December 2007, 05:36 PM
'velli nila pathumai' also had a Telugu version in Abhinandna 'Rangulalo' sung by by SPB & SJ which I feel is better than the tamil version.

Neel D
26th December 2007, 03:45 AM
madhu, thanks.
Jack & Priya, you are welcome.
Sanguine Sridhar, thanks for the compliment and welcome to the thread. :)
jmahesh, thanks for the details.

Neel D
26th December 2007, 03:47 AM
Pick #572

Song: adhikAlaiyil kuyil kUvuthu
Film: Thampathyam
Music: Manoj-Gyan
Singers: Mano, K.S.Chithra

Thambathyam is a slightly mellow album by Manoj-Gyan, in comparison to all the other high-energy albums they were composing at that time. The song does have a bit of a Bollywood flavor in the selection of instruments. The film starred Sivaji Ganesan and Ambika. Not sure if today's pick was picturized on them or another couple.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/adhikalaiyil.rm

Neel D
28th December 2007, 05:58 AM
Pick #573

Song: ElElam kiLiyE
Film: Naan Pesa Ninaippathellam
Music: Sirpi
Singer: K.J.Yesudas
Year: 1993

Sirpi has composed several beautiful melodies. Today's pick is one of those. He gives importance to vocals and lyrics in his songs and still manages to produce one or more melody hits in his albums amidst current trend of music that does not seem to care for vocals or lyrics.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/elelam_kiliye.rm

vel1970
30th December 2007, 01:15 PM
Hi Neel:

This is the first time that I listen to KJY version of Elelam kiliye. Heard Mano + PS version, which is also beautiful. Mohini and Anand Babu acted for that duet version, which is in the climax.
Is music direction not by SA Rajkumar?

Wish you all a very happy new year.

Neel D
30th December 2007, 11:07 PM
vel1970, you may be correct. Another website credited Sirpi for this album. That is what I went by. Regardless, Sirpi composes nice old-fashioned melodies.

Neel D
30th December 2007, 11:12 PM
Pick #574

Song: iLamkanni unnai
Singer: S.Janaki

A rare and exotic number by SJ. Have no other details about this song. Please share if you do.

Happy New Year!

Peace on Earth!

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/ilamkanni.rm

tfmlover
31st December 2007, 05:18 AM
never heard this tamil version
but the hindi version superduper
yahoo! !!!!!!!
chaahe koyi mujhe junglee kahe
kehne do jee kehta rahe
hum pyaar ke toofaanon mein gire hai
hum kya kare
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piKXrYaHZFg

Happy New Year 2008 !

thanks NeelDJ
Have a good one always
regards

baroque
31st December 2007, 07:30 AM
hey tfmlover, yeah it was a hit!
Shammi kapoor :D
Hey Neel & TFMPAGE gang,

Wish you all good friends,good health & good luck!

love & affection, vinatha.

gingerbeehk
31st December 2007, 09:22 AM
Beautiful songs...Naan Pesa ninaipathellam music by Sirpi only, the information NellD given is correct.

Jack

Meerakrishna
31st December 2007, 10:57 AM
Neel D, thanks for this SJ's beautiful song, I love the way she pronouces "Anbe NyayamA"? Lovely ..

regards
Meerakrishna

Nazir sultan
31st December 2007, 01:06 PM
Dear TFM Lovers,

Happy New year to everybody.

Thanks

Mr. Neel D

Expecting golden oldies of 1970-80

SN23
31st December 2007, 01:31 PM
NPNinaippadhellAm song is really good. Is PS version a short one or a complete song? Neel: Please share if you have that. I also thought that the music by SAR.

Wish you all a very happy and prosperous new year 2008!!

RC
31st December 2007, 11:49 PM
NPN music is by Sirpi. He has also sung a song in that.

Neel D
1st January 2008, 11:32 PM
tfmlover, thanks for the details.
baroque, Jack, Nazir Sultan & RC, thank you.
Meerakrishna, you are welcome.
SN23, I think I have the PS version. I will host it soon.

Neel D
1st January 2008, 11:35 PM
Pick #575

Song: kikikiki kiLiyakkO
Film: Dharmaraja
Year: 1980

Dharmaraja starred Sivaji Ganesan and K.R.Vijaya. The film or parts of it may have been shot in Singapore. Today's pick is one of many beautiful songs in MSV-SPB-VJ combination, with a touch of fun added to it, and it was quite popular when it released.

This song substitutes a nEyar(bobgalee) viruppam.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/kikikiki.rm

baroque
2nd January 2008, 12:08 AM
Neel & bobgalee :ty: :ty:
Long forgotten simple delights! :musicsmile:
Love you boys/girls so much.
Yenakku indha maari pattu venum, Neel.
HAVE A GREAT NEWYEAR !!
I am going temple!
ta.ta.

baroque
2nd January 2008, 12:21 AM

RC
2nd January 2008, 07:17 AM
Hearing this one after a long time... Thanks Neel D
thirisoolam padathula varra
rukku rukku...adi raajathi vaarungadi-la varra

yeandi ammadi pachchai kiLiyai ninaivu paduthugiradhu indha paadal.

gingerbeehk
2nd January 2008, 07:47 AM
Wow...what a beautiful song. SPB & VJ done wonderful voice out on this song. Specially VJ voice is like "Kili vocie". Thanks for the Kikkiki Kiliyakko song my friend.

Expecting more lovely song like this.

Jack

tfmlover
2nd January 2008, 11:27 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=73MhaXAFTbY

bobgalee
2nd January 2008, 01:30 PM
Neel D

thanks for the substitution...

the link is not workin i think.. plz recheck...

Nazir sultan
2nd January 2008, 07:05 PM
yes Mr. Neel D,

Really good song.

It was my favourite when it was released.

I could recollect it was ceylon radio favorite.

Thanks

madhu
3rd January 2008, 08:48 AM
Hi Neel

:kikiki: :clap:

SN23
3rd January 2008, 01:33 PM
If it was only audio, I might have loved it. TFML's video clip spoiled my interest on kikiki :lol:
Vegu ILamaiyAna Sivaji along with a "young lady" of artificial punnagai and youthful costumes. Its terrible man :evil:
BTW, how many shows this film ran in the cinema halls?

tfmlover
3rd January 2008, 06:19 PM
mannikka vEndukirEn !

Neel D
3rd January 2008, 08:05 PM
baroque, you are welcome. I have noted down your requests.
RC, Jack, tfmlover, bobgalee & Nazir Sultan, you are welcome.
madhu & SN23, thanks.

Neel D
3rd January 2008, 08:06 PM
Pick #576

Song: pancha suranggaLE
Film: Puthiya Sangamam
Music: Ramakrishnaraja
Singer: P.Susheela

We saw the song "enakkum unakkum" from the film "Puthiya Sangamam" few weeks ago. Here is another song from the same film. This song too has TeFM influence. The lyrics suggest love or marriage between two people from different walks of life, or backgrounds. May be that is why they called it "Puthiya Sangamam".

Thanks to SN23 for sending the song.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/pancha_suranggale.rm

baroque
4th January 2008, 12:04 AM
:ty: Neel!!

rajraj
4th January 2008, 05:46 AM
pancha surangaLe : Nice piece in HindhoLam. Pancha swarangaL refers to the five notes in HindhoLam. The most popular song in HindhoLam is probably 'Saamaja vara gamana' in the movie shankarabharanam(Telugu). 'maname muruganin mayil vaahanam' is also in that raga. If you go back fifty or more years you have 'kaNgaLum kavi paadudhe' ! :)

RC
4th January 2008, 05:58 AM
Raj: ungaLukkaagavE indha link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIB5we5nv_0

tfmlover
4th January 2008, 12:20 PM
rajraj :) maalai pozuthin mayakkathilE ..enna raagam ?

rajeshkrv
4th January 2008, 11:06 PM
rajraj, isnt Ramanukku mannan mudi is also hindolam
which is the fav raaga of Late Smt.P.Bhanumathi too

Neel D
6th January 2008, 09:57 PM
baroque, you are welcome. Will feature some MSV songs soon.
rajraj, thanks for the details.
RC, tfmlover & rajeskrv, thanks.

Neel D
6th January 2008, 10:00 PM
Pick #577

Song: sAthi malligai samanju
Film: Nalellam Pournami
Singer: K.S.Chitra
Year: 1986

Today's pick is a happy folkish song. "Nalellam Pournami" had another song by KSC "nIthAnA nesanthAna" which was a big hit. There is a KJY version of the same song "pUngkARRE pUngkARRE" which was popular too.

Thanks to Priya for sending this song.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/sathi_malligai.rm

SN23
7th January 2008, 01:57 PM
Neel: Such a beautiful rAgam is Hindolam. MDs love this and mohanam for "urugi & kasindhu pAdum pAdalgaL".

Some mesmorising examples:

bajarE gOpAlam
mamavthu shri saraswathi
neerajakshi kamakshi
sAmaja varagamanA
TMS-in karpanaiyil uruvAna 'karpanai enrAlum karsilai enrAalum'

Some filmy songs:

azhaikAdhE ninaikAdhE avai thanilE enai e rAjA
darisanam kidaikkAdhA en mEl karisanam kidaiyAdhA
Jagam pugazhum puNya kadhai
mAlai pozhudhin mayakathilE nAn kanavu kandEn thOzhi
manamE muruganin mayil vAhanam
shree dhEvi en vAzhvil aruL seiya vA

AhA enna arumaiyAna collection... this Pancha surangaLe also joins that sweet list. Thanks for hosting the song Neel :-)

madhu
7th January 2008, 07:25 PM
Hi neel..

"sAthi malligai" was played again and again in some marriages during that period...

gingerbeehk
8th January 2008, 07:05 AM
Hi SN23, thanks for the details & examples about hindolam. You have proved that you are master in ragaas. Keep it up.

Shakthiprabha, our hearthy welcome to this wonderful thread.

NeelD, you have done wonderful job on your part. Thanks a lot for such nice songs. Saathi Malligai is one of the beautiful post on this thread. You rocks man.

Jack

Neel D
9th January 2008, 01:54 AM
SN23, you are welcome. Thanks for the list.
Shaktiprabha, welcome to the thread. What took you so long?
madhu, thank you.
Jack, you are welcome.

Neel D
9th January 2008, 01:57 AM
Pick #578

Song: pAsam oru vEsam
Film: Pasam Oru Vesam
Singers: P.Susheela, Mano
Lyrics: Vairamuthu

Pasam Oru Vesam was directed by Jayadevi and starred Ranjani, Madhuri, Vinu Chakravarthi, Nasser, etc. Ranjani is a village girl being raised by her brother Vinu. She is in love with a boy from the other part of the village. He rides by her house on his bicycle ringing the bell to get her attention and they nurture their love by just exchanging glances and occassionaly few words while separated by a wall. When their love becomes known, her brother and the village are against it. Fearing the backlash her boyfriend backs out, rejects Ranjani's idea to elope and leaves the village. Vinu arranges a marriage for Ranjani with the much older Idikarai Murugesan. And during all this Ranjani has to tactfully deal with her brother-in-law Nasser's lustful advances. Tired of it all, Ranjani contemplates suicide. That is the background of today's pick in a nutshell. Vairamuthu spills his viyarvai for this song. Other songs in the film hardly have any orchestration. Will post one of those songs soon.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/pasam_oru_vesam.rm

rajeshkrv
10th January 2008, 12:55 AM
thanks neel
good song

priya32
10th January 2008, 02:18 AM
Hi Neel,

I've never heard this song before, nice sad song to hear from Shyam's music!

SN23
10th January 2008, 11:21 AM
Hi Neel: Thanks for sharing this unheard song. First time for me. Shyam's music is always soft less great garam masala. Nice song. Thanks again.

madhu
10th January 2008, 07:46 PM
Hi Neel..

watched this movie ( for some time only :oops: ) last month.. ( vera vElai illAdhathAl :mrgreen: )
I dont know about this song. Otherwise .. indha song scene vara varaikkum wait senjiruppen :(

vel1970
10th January 2008, 09:33 PM
Pasam oru vesam sounds like a Mallu song. Mano's hummings are terrible. PS ??
Thanks for this very unheard song Neel.

Neel D
11th January 2008, 12:47 AM
rejeshkrv & SN23, you are welcome.
Priya, thank you.
madhu, you did not miss anything.
vel1970, Ouch!

Neel D
11th January 2008, 12:49 AM
Pick #579

Song: avanukkuththAn theriyum
Film: Paadi Parantha Kuyil
Singers: P.Susheela, S.P.Balasubramanyam

A wonderful song by MSV. Philosophical lyrics with mythological analogies (Kannadasan?). The quality of the lyrics simply elevates the song by several notches. There is extensive use of the harmonium in solo bits and in the background score, and an extensive use of tabla. Yet, the song maintains a modern filmsong feel. It could have easily sounded like a hindustani light classical number but it does not. Nicely done by MSV. PS and SPB do a great job. The film apparently never released.

Good weekend y'all!

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/avanukkuththan.rm

gingerbeehk
11th January 2008, 07:11 AM
What a song? What a music? What a lyrics? What a playback voice? Every single things are stayed on thier right place. "Mellisai Mannar" proved with his excellent orchestration. Simply, it is superb song. "Avanukkuthaan Theiryum" is my all time favourite. Almost everyday i listen this song. Thanks of millions NeelD for such memorable song.

Vazhga Valamudan.

Jack

SN23
11th January 2008, 09:09 AM
Really nice song Neel. Thanks for sharing this treasure too. Enga thAn hunt paNNi edukkareengaLO :-)

Basic question.... was this film released? Who acted OR were supposed to be in the cast?

tvsankar
11th January 2008, 09:38 AM
Dear Neel,
Neenda natkaluku pin. indha padal ennai bhadhil ezhudha
vaithu irukiradhu.

Indha padalai ketta udan. Manadhil vandha ninaivu -

School days - exam - friends kuda sandai and samadhanam - naam valarndhu vittom - namakenru porupu iruku - indha madhiri oru mana nilaiyil indha padalai ketta ninaivu.

manadhil vandha thoughts ku vidai kidaitha oru feelings - indha padalai ketkum podhellam.

Ippavum dhan.... Nice tune.. Nice Lyrics. Ella kalathukum porundhum oru kavidhai and Tune...

Thank you once again for the song by MSV.

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

vel1970
11th January 2008, 09:25 PM
Hi Neel:

Here is what I uLarify about Avanukku thaan theriyum. Hmmm... sorry what I feel about the song :-)

Avanukku thaan theriyum is a song with excellent lyrics... It looks like Pulamaipithan's. Whoever wrote, its fantastic. Simple tune by MSV. Emotional rendition by PS and SPB. Thanks for hosting this gem dear. You made my day !!

baroque
13th January 2008, 08:34 AM
What a composition! My favorite song, Neel!
TRUE MUSICAL GENIUS without publicity knows to connect with the listeners in a simple manner.

I wish they bring these songs in cd or mp3.

I am surprised Shakthi is visiting this thread only now.

Neel D
13th January 2008, 06:22 PM
Jack, you are welcome. It is a indeed a great song.
SN23, I have no details on the film :-( (madhu, any idea?)
Usha, welcome back. Glad to bring back old memories.
Shakthiprabha, thanks for your interesting comments. Untie your hands and post away.
vel1970, you are welcome.
Roshan, Why ask? Welcome to the thread.
baroque, thank you.

Neel D
13th January 2008, 06:24 PM
Pick #580

Song: Anandham ponggida
Film: Siraipparavai
Singers: K.J.Yesudas, Sunandha

Happy Pongal!

எங்கும் ஆனந்தம் பொங்கட்டும்!

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/anandham_ponggida.rm

madhu
14th January 2008, 06:34 AM
thanks Neel..

எல்லோர் உள்ளத்திலும் இல்லத்திலும் பால் பொங்கட்டும் !!

raagadevan
14th January 2008, 07:16 AM
Neel: Thank you for posting this song, a great pick for Pongal :) Wish you a very happy Pongal!!

Happy Pongal to all TFM Page friends! :)

gingerbeehk
14th January 2008, 07:33 AM
எல்லோர் இல்லங்களிலும்,உள்ளங்களிலும்,ஆனந்தம் பொங்கிடும் நாளில், அருமையான "ஆனந்த" பாடல் தந்த உங்களுக்கு நன்றி.

அனைவருக்கும் என் இனிய "தைப்பொங்கல்" நல்வாழ்த்துக்கள்.

Jack

SN23
14th January 2008, 11:05 AM
KAdhal Mayyakkam thandha Sunantha's voice is very soft and lovely. No reason why she could not glitter like other singers. Nice song Neel.

Today Bhogi illiyO? Wish you a blissful Bhogi (Pazhayana Kazhidhal) and devotional Sankranti (Pudhiyana Pugudhal) and Cheerful MAttu Pongal Jal Jal Jal :-)

baroque
16th January 2008, 02:17 AM
:ty: Neel for a beautiful raaja paattu!
shakthi is making this thread very interesting.
Yes,madam! indeed karaharapriya.
Maadhavi ponmayilal...
Maharajan ulagai.... I love this song. Very romantic lyrics, singararasam sotta sotta TMS & Susheela singing. Sivaji with Devika- very beautiful lady, missed the song in the movie.
maappillaikku... Netrikkan- love this rajini, miss him dearly, hope he returns back soon.
:ty: Ramki - for Sriraman sridevi.... shri.MSV musical.

Neel D
16th January 2008, 02:34 AM
Pick #581

Song: kAmAtchiyE mInAtchiyE
Film: Etho Moham

A fastpaced and joyous duet from Gangai Amaran. Listening to the song fills a heart with joy and a feathery lightness. Beautifully sung by SPB and VJ. The film starred Suresh and Bhanupriya. I believe it was produced by Gangai Amaran, apart from scoring the music and probably writing the lyrics too.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/kamatchiye.rm