PDA

View Full Version : Picks 536 - 770

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

bobgalee
7th April 2008, 11:50 AM
KJY sir's stamp is all over in sangeetham en nimmathi.. thanks for this wonderful song.plz post the other track details of langeshwaran. thanks.

baroque
8th April 2008, 10:26 AM
:bluejump: :redjump: :musicsmile:

Classical prowess with enchanting yesudas & chithra!!

Neel, Last two days I have been drooling all over Shri.MSV :) here you are hosting this song to add the pleasure!

:ty: Vinatha.

Neel D
8th April 2008, 08:45 PM
bobgalee & baroque, you are welcome.

Neel D
8th April 2008, 08:47 PM
Pick #617

Song: piLLai thUngga thAlAttu
Film: Pattikkattu Thambi
Music: Chandrabose
Singers: P.Susheela, K.J.Yesudas
Lyrics: Pulamaipithan
Year: 1988

Today's pick is dedicated to the memory of jn.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/pillai_thungga.rm

bobgalee
8th April 2008, 10:06 PM
humble request

plz post adiye annakkili payya payya paattu varum unakkaaga

from this pattikkatu thambi

Read the demise of active contributor jeyanthi madam though various replies and threads.

May her soul rest in peace.

SN23
9th April 2008, 10:22 AM
Nice song. Is that Sabita anand in this song?

I think Jn would have loved this song, if she was with us.

Thanks Neel.

Neel D
11th April 2008, 01:20 AM
bobgalee, thanks. I will look for "adiyE annakkiLi".

SN23, you are welcome. I haven't seen that film yet. Don't know the cast for sure.

Neel D
11th April 2008, 01:21 AM
Pick #618

Song: kaNNanukku pEr sUtti
Film: Thaai Piranthaal
Music: M.S.Viswanathan
Singers: P.Susheela, L.R.Eswari
Lyrics: Alangudi Somu
Year: 1974

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/kannanukku_per.rm

baroque
11th April 2008, 02:13 AM
thanks, Neel!

Though I am really excited now, thanks to

thanga therodum..... Susheela & Lover Boy rock! My favorite 80's song!
Nostalgia, nostalgia! sure, S-G gave some fine, additive compositions.

What a beauty!

:bluejump: :redjump: :bluejump: :musicsmile:

LOVE YOU, Ramki!:ty::ty::ty:

LOVER BOY ROCKS!!

LOVE YOU SO MUCH, the WORLD MUCH, Balu!!

madhu
11th April 2008, 06:39 AM
Hi Neel..

Hearing after soooooooo.... many years.

story kidaiyAdha ? :huh:

is it not the story of Bhanumathi longing for a grandchild with songs "muruga enakkoru varam vendum" and "mAdhuLai muthukkaL malligai mottukkaL" etc. ?

I still remember the advt with the lines "oru kuzhandhai piRakkumbOdhuthAn thAyum piRakkiRAL" ..

:P

SN23
11th April 2008, 01:10 PM
Neel: This song is for Saradha and CID.Sakunthala. CID comes as Rental mother for the child born for Muthuraman, whereas Saradha is wife of MR, who could not become a mother. Puratchigaramana story but did not click.

rajeshkrv
11th April 2008, 11:48 PM
yes neel it's sabitha anand in pillai thoonga thaalattu

watch the song here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNnDBrJv9jU

vel1970
12th April 2008, 03:03 PM
Very nice song by PS and LRE. Correct Swami.. it is for A.Sagunthala (PS) and Saradha (LRE). A.S has to leave after the delivery of child; she has rights only to give birth but nothing else. Fantastic singing with hidden emotion by PS. I thoroughly enjoyed. Thanks Neel.

One more correct Swami. Pillai thoonga song is for Sabita anand and Arjun.

Neel D
13th April 2008, 04:04 AM
baroque & vel1970, you are welcome.

madhu,
Thanks. Yes, those P.Bhanumati songs are from the same film. I have not seen the film. Wasn't there a similar story in the later film "Avan Aval Athu"?

SN23, thanks for the details.

rajeshkrv, thanks.

Neel D
13th April 2008, 04:15 AM
Pick #619

Song: thamiz pAdattum
Film: Nermai
Singers: S.Janaki, S.P.Balasubramanyam
Year: 1985

அனைவருக்கும் இனிய புத்தாண்டு வாழ்த்துகள்!

"Nermai" directed by R.Krishnamurthi and produced by K.R.G was a formula Sivaji film of the 70s and 80s that Sivaji kept churning out year after year. This is a long story. But it is a Sunday. So, after your holiday meal, pour yourself a cup of coffee and start reading. You may need another cup when you hit the second half. :)

Sivaji Ganesan is a college professor who teaches economics. Prabhu is one of his students. Radhika is Sivaji's sister who is also a student at the same college. Prabhu is a troublemaker who carries out student strikes, beats up canteen workers, teases college girls, etc. Anuradha also goes to the same college. She is crazy about Prabhu but he is just friends with her. Anuradha's father M.N.Nambiyar, Prabhu's father Jaisankar and a lecherous bachelor Thengai Srinivasan are three rich crooks who together traffic in illegal narcotics.

Jaisankar is disappointed that Prabhu spends his time causing trouble and is poor in academics. He wants his son to get a good education and live a respectable life unlike him. So, Jaisankar seeks Sivaji's help and begs him to give private tutoring to Prabhu. Sivaji is not thrilled about private tutoring nor is it allowed per college rules. But he agrees to tutor Prabhu to help him get better. Prabhu comes to Sivaji's house and while waiting for Sivaji to arrive he picks a fight with Radhika, who also lives in the same house. The fight gets serious and Prabhu twists Radhika's arm and that is when Sivaji walks in on him, gets angry and throws him out.

Prabhu is humiliated and angry. He decides to take revenge. He steals the question paper of the semester exam from Sivaji's office and brings the answers written on bit papers to the exam hall. He lets himself get caught while copying during the exam. The principal sees that Prabhu has answers to all questions in the exam and thinks that he must have gotten the question paper from Sivaji and decides to suspend Sivaji. But Sivaji resigns his job to avoid embarrassment. While cleaning his office Sivaji finds Prabhu's lighter in the file cabinet. He figures that Prabhu stole the question paper to avenge. He finds Prabhu in the hallway and returns the lighter to him.

Prabhu is emabarassed and humbled. He apologizes and begs Sivaji to take him back as his private student. Sivaji forgives him and tutors him. Prabhu passes the exams coming first in the state. In the meantime Radhika develops a liking for him. The two sing today's pick soon after the exam results are announced :musicsmile:. Sivaji's wife Sujata respects Prabhu for turning his life around. Sujata suffers from a heart condition and is slowly dying. Only Radhika and Sujata know about it. They don't tell Sivaji.

Around this time Rajiv, a CBI officer and Sivaji's old student, is trasnferred from Delhi and moves to the same city. He looks up Sivaji and starts spending time with Sivaji family. Thengai Srinivasan finds out about this and is concerned that Sivaji may tell on him and his two friends to the authorities. Of course Sivaji knows what Jaisankar does for a living, but does not care enough to go after him. Now that college education is over Anuradha tells her father Nambiyar that she wants to marry Prabhu. Nambiyar talks to Jaisankar. But Jaisankar tells Nambiyar that Prabhu is going to marry Sivaji's sister Radhika. Nambiyar and Thengai are concerned about Jaisankar's relationship with Sivaji. They seriously suspect that Jaisankar is going to turn approver. So, they decide to buy Sivaji out. They make him a big offer to be their accountant. But Sivaji refuses. Threatened that they may get caught if they don't do something they decide to kill Jaisankar.

SPOILER ALERT! Do not read the next four paragraphs if you do not want to know how the film ends.

Jaisankar goes to Sivaji's house to ask Radhika in marriage to his son. While leaving, at Sivaji's doorstep, Jaisankar is killed by a gunman sent by Nambiyar. Sivaji is shocked and confused. Nambiyar calls him on the phone and threatens that he will frame him as Jaisankar's killer if he does not agree to become their partner and keep their secrets safe. Sivaji does not give him an answer one way or the other. He takes Jaisankar's body to Thangai's house, leaves the body at his doorstep. Thengai finds the body, panics, and takes it to Nambiyar's house. Nambiyar's plan to frame Sivaji does not quite work out. So he asks Prabhu to come to his house. Prabhu comes and finds his father dead. Nambiyar admits to killing him and ties up Prabhu in chains and advises him to change his mind about marrying Radhika, to stay within the crime family and to marry Anuradha. Then Nambiyar and Thengai go in search of Sivaji before he goes to police.

Sujata does not understand what is going on with a murder in her house, Sivaji driving away the body, etc. When Sivaji comes home she fights with him to know what is going on. Sivaji does not tell her anything. She gets angry, cries, shouts and faints holding her chest. Radhika brings her medication and Sivaji asks what is with the chest pain and medicine. Radhika tells him the truth about Sujata's health. Sivaji breaks down and asks Radhika to rush and bring the doctor. While Radhika is gone Sujata's condition gets worse and Sivaji drives her to the hospital himself. But he is stopped on they way by Nambiyar and Thengai and they get in a fight. At the same time Anuradha secretly releases Prabhu from the chains and he escapes, but not without fighting with the guards who try to stop him from escaping. Radhika and the doctor run into Sivaji on the road fighting with Nambiyar and Thengai. When Radhika's car arrives Nambiyar, Thengai and their men run away. The doctor attempts to save Sujata but she dies.

Sivaji, Prabhu and his friends swear at Sujata's grave to take revenge. They go to Nambiyar's house and a long fight ensues. Nambiyar attempts to shoot Sivaji but Y.G.Mahendra takes the bullet for him (Oh yes, YGM is there in the film too. From the beginning till the end. As Prabhu's friend and collegemate. Some comedian he is! Never made me laugh in any film). Though he takes the bullet for Sivaji, he survives (I guess so that he can live on to tell more jokes that no one can laugh to. :argh: ).

Police comes to Nambiyar's house and arrests all the villains and their men. Sivaji goes back to his professor job. Prabhu and Radhika happily repeat few lines of their duet. And... Vanakkam!

SPOILER ENDS!

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/thamiz_padattum.rm

madhu
13th April 2008, 08:27 AM
Hi Neel...

wow story ! .... :rotfl:

athu -> :thumbsup:

baroque
13th April 2008, 10:32 AM
:ty: Neel for the story!

Plum
14th April 2008, 11:49 AM
Neel, You said it on YGM!
However, considering that he delivered 'monumental' performances like Pareetchaikku Neramachu when not inflicting torturous 'comedy', one might have to thank one's stars that he wasnt taken any more 'seriously' than he was.
Even VA Moorthy has a better strike rate than him in terms of comic acts hitting bulls' eye. And thats saying a lot!

Neel D
15th April 2008, 10:00 PM
madhu, thanks. That was my holiday feast for you. :)

baroque, you are welcome. Now tell me. Did you really read the story? :)

Plum, thanks. "tortorous" best describes YGM's comedy(?). He proves again and again that comedy is one of the hardest things to do. :)

Neel D
15th April 2008, 10:02 PM
Pick #620

Song: kELAthO kAthal nenjcin
Film: Mella Pesungal
Music: Ilaiyaraja
Singer: Krishnachandar
Lyrics: ?
Year: 1983

Thanks to Priya for sending this rare song.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/kelatho_kathal.rm

tvsankar
16th April 2008, 01:10 AM
Dear Neel,
Thanks for the rare song.
BHanu priyavin first tamil film i think.
nice lyrics..

Kadhal nenjin oosai keladho...

Once again thanks to you Neel.

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

baroque
16th April 2008, 01:14 AM
Nejamma read panninen, Neel! :)

Infact that night, I was watching IMAYAM, Mr. Y.G.M was not that bad or awful. At least in the name of comedy, he was not loud or irritating or unpleasant. He did good. I thank him for that. :ty:

question kekkadheengo, bhayamaayerukkey!

Orey amakkalamaa, indiscriminate drumming & guitar strumming speedy orchestration from our Raaja but I am missing the emotional impact! yennavo pongo!

Krishnachander is a good singer. Remember Edho mogam... etc..

:ty: Priya & Neel!

I prefer 'edho mogam....' , 'then poovey vaa ...', 'pon maaney kobam...', 'oomai nenjin sondham...'kind of Raaja's melodies that can make an emotional impact with a orchestral glamour!

These type of songs tunes, singer's bhaavam is powerful & memorable though the interludes are decorative. That's is the Ilayaraja , I love!!

Nitya
16th April 2008, 04:34 AM
I've been DYING to know the details of the song "Thamizh Paadattum" for a LOOOONG time. And now, I finally know. By the great MSV.

Murali Srinivas
16th April 2008, 01:49 PM
Dear Neel,

The Nermai story telling was really good. If my memory serves me right, this came out in 1985 May. Produced by KRG and directed by Billa Krishnamoorthy, this was the movie acted by NT that preceded Mudhal Mariyadhai. Saw it then and left it as such. Revisiting the story after almost 23 years, it doesn't look bad. May be the the way it was filmed left much to be desired. Thanks and please continue.

Regards

baroque
16th April 2008, 10:27 PM
My Dear RR & Neel!

Can I like have the facility to play multiple songs continuously from POW without visiting the article page of those songs?
Vinatha

RR
16th April 2008, 10:45 PM
My Dear RR & Neel!

Can I like have the facility to play multiple songs continuously from POW without visiting the article page of those songs?
Vinatha
Good suggestion. I'll try to prepare a facility for you.

madhu
17th April 2008, 05:33 AM
My Dear RR & Neel!

Vinatha
Good suggestion. I'll try to prepare a facility for you.

RRji..

for us too... :redjump:

baroque
17th April 2008, 06:04 AM
:ty: RR!!

Hello madhu,
yenakku mattum thaniyaa kodukka poraala? romba thaaney! :)

yellarukkum undu! :)

yvsmani
17th April 2008, 05:01 PM
Nermai padaththai naanum paarththen........ quite boring film. Maduraiyil Natraj theatre-il release achchu. 2 weeks-kku pin padam engae ponathu endrae theriyavillai

Neel D
17th April 2008, 08:03 PM
Usha, you are welcome.
baroque, RR & yvsmani, thanks.
Nitya, welcome (back?) to the thread.
Murali, yes, the college part of the film was simple and good. The villains and their games, Sujata's unnecessary illness, and fight scenes were typical formula ingredients. They could have kept it simple. But then I won't have enough to write. :)

Neel D
17th April 2008, 08:04 PM
Pick #621

Song: malarOdu viLaiyAdum
Film: Deivabalam
Music: Aswathama
Singers: S.Janaki, P.B.Srinivas
Lyrics: Maruthakasi
Year: 1959

Thanks to baroque for sending this beautiful song.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/malarodu_vilai.rm

rajeshkrv
17th April 2008, 09:47 PM
This is a very nice song by PBs and SJ

The music director is C.Aswathama none other than Father of Veena Gayatri

madhu
18th April 2008, 04:31 AM
:redjump:

soffffffftest melody !

thanks Neel !!`

RC
18th April 2008, 05:29 AM
Neel: Deivabalam kadhai solla maatIngaLA? :(

baroque
18th April 2008, 10:59 AM
:ty: Neel for hosting one of my favorite P.B.Sreenivos song!

P.b.Sreenivos is always very dear, such a konji konji voice, he is SPECIAL!!

Lyrics by Maruthakasi, it says in my CD

There is one more song 'nilavadhu thavari pennai....' with Janaki from the same film, lyrics again by Maruthakasi in that CD.

Though the tune is same as 'brindhavanamum.....' -gem in Raga suddhabangala (Rama bhakthi samrajyam......), I love it.

Neel D
18th April 2008, 08:50 PM
rajeshkrv, thanks.

madhu, it sure is a sofffft melody. You are welcome.

RC, "Deviabalam" nAn pArkkavE illaiyE. baroque, nIngga pArththInggaLA? Thanks for the lyricist. I have added it.

baroque
18th April 2008, 11:13 PM
illaiye! :)

I have two assorted CDs 'Expressive Melodies - PBS' & 'Indrum Iniyavai - P.B.S duets' . I just run around listen to them for yrs. :)

Hope all great Vidhvans from V-R to Deva, Pattukkottaiyaar to Vairamuthu, mannikkavum. :D

There are fans like Mani sir & Sara and then Vinatha too! :) enna poyee kekkarele!

baroque
19th April 2008, 04:32 AM
Hey Neel,

I have a song Rasa veetu.... in Paadu kuyile paadu, who is the M.D?

Vinatha.

Neel D
20th April 2008, 10:56 PM
baroque, theriyaliyE! Have you tried http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=1008 ?

Neel D
20th April 2008, 11:02 PM
Pick #622

Song: pUngkAththu vIsum
Film: Ondru Engal Jaathiye
Music: Gangai Amaran
Singers: Gangai Amaran & Chorus
Lyrics: One of (Muthulingam, Gangai Amaran, Thiruppathooraan, Pattukkottai Natarasan)
Year: 1987

"Ondru Engal Jaathiye" starred a young, slim and handsome Ramarajan, barbie doll Nishanthi, Raasi, Suslakshana, Vinu Chakravarthi, Ravichandran and others. Screenplay and direction by Ramarajan. The film is just like an MGR film, only without MGR. Ramarajan should have returned to directing after his acting career faded. He had the formula down pat.

Ramarajan is a hardworking fisherman who lives in a seaside village with his sister Raasi and their guardian K.K.Sounder. The two were raised by K.K.Sounder, a poor muslim, who came to India as a refugee from Srilanka and lost his family to the sea while making the voyage to India. Ramarajan and Raasi were born to Hindu parents who were killed when their hut was set on fire by the rich man Ravichandran, in order to silence Ramarajan's father who happened to witness one of Ravichandran's murders. Ramarajan and Raasi know that they are orphans but don't know it was Ravichandran who killed their parents. Nishanthi is a lively young girl who makes a living selling fish and is the daughther of an unemployed drunkard(Vinu Chakravarthi). Nishanthi is in love with Ramarajan. Every time some thug in the village tries to misbehave with Nishanthi, Ramarajan fights him to protect her.

Ravichandran is fish wholesaler. He and his men threaten or beat up the poor fisherman all the time and buy their catch at a very low price, or simply take the fish and drive away. Ramarajan fights Ravichandran's men to protect the fishermen. Ramarajan decides to unite all the fishermen and starts a union. The union starts selling their catch themselves instead of selling it to the wholesalers like Ravichandran. Vinu Chakravarthi works as Ravichandran's spy, for free alcohol and money, and keeps him informed about Ramarajan's plans. Angered by Ramarajan's efforts Ravichandran sends his men to destroy the fish market run by the union. Ramarajan fights them to protect the fishermen and the market.

Around this time a young widow named Mary(Sulakshana) arrives at the village after spending seven years in jail for murdering her own husband. As she gets out of the bus and heads into the village Vinu Chakravarthi stops her and yells at her to go back saying that there is no room for murderers in his village. When she does not heed his threat he attempts to beat her. But Ramarajan fights Vinu and protects Sulakshana. K.K.Sounder feels sorry for Sulakshana and offers her to come and stay in his house. Sulakshana moves in with them. (Thus people belonging to three religions come to live under one roof. Now you know the reason for the title of the film.). Sulakshana goes to church everyday. The father at the church keeps asking her to confess and seek redemption but she quietly walks away every time the father brings up the subject.

Ravichandran's son Mohankumar and Raasi attend the same college. They meet and fall in love. When Ramarajan finds out he gets very angry and forbids her to see Mohankumar. She sadly agrees. But Mohankumar talks to Ramarajan and changes his mind. Ravichandran who is initially angry at his son's love for a poor girl also changes his mind because he calculates that through this marriage he can buy out Ramarajan and have him dissolve the fishermen's union so that he can continue his cut-throat business dealings. Ravichandran comes to Ramarajan's house, sweet-talks and performs the engagement ceremony. Raasi is very happy. Ramarajan and K.K.Sounder scrape up every last bit of money they have and make arrangements for the wedding. In the meantime Ravichandran gets a marriage proposal for his son from a wealthy family living abroad who have a girl for marriage. Ravichandran changes his mind again and decides to accept the foreign proposal. On the day of the wedding the bride's family is ready at the wedding hall. But Ravichandran locks his son in his farm house, goes to the wedding hall and announces that the wedding has been cancelled. Ramarajan feels humiliated in front of the guests. Raasi is heartbroken.

That night Nishanti is asleep in her hut and a snake bites her. Vinu is home but he is so drunk and passed out he does not hear her scream. Ramarajan comes running to her rescue, sucks the poison out and takes her to the medicine man and saves her life. When Vinu is woken up and hears what happened he has a change of heart . He tells Ramarajan where Mohankumar has been locked up.

SPOILER ALERT! Skip the next three paragraphs if you do not want to know how the film ends.

Ramarajan goes to the farm house and rescues Mohankumar. Raasi and Mohankumar quickly get married in a temple with police protection. Ravichandran is not able to stop the wedding. He finds out that it was Vinu who helped Ramarajan. Ravichandran's men beat up Vinu. Bleeding from head to toe, Vinu goes home crying in pain. When he sees the church on the way home, he enters the church and asks forgiveness from Jesus for all his misdeeds. He cries out loud that it was he who framed Sulakshana as the killer of her own husband when in reality it was Ravichandran who killed her husband. The father hears Vinu's drunken confession and apologizes to Sulakshana.

That evening everyone in the village is celebrating Raasi and Mohankumar's wedding with song and dance. Angry Ravichandran and his men storm the village and set the houses on fire. The celebration turns into chaos. Ramarajan and the villagers frantically try to put out the fire. In the middle of the commotion Ravichandran abdcuts Nishanthi. K.K.Sounder tries to stop him but Ravichandran stabs and kills him. Sulakshana sees this, tells Ramarajan that Ravichandran killed K.K.Sounder and that he also killed his parents decades ago. She orders Ramarajan to take revenge by killing Ravichandran. Ravichandran takes Nishanthi to his house and attempts to violate her. Vinu follows them and fights to save Nishanti but Ravichandran stabs and kills him. As he proceeds to violate Nishanti, Ramarajan comes there and fights him. Ravichandran drags Nishanthi and runs to the boatyard. Ramarajan chases after him. Ravichandran picks up a machete and attempts to slash Ramrajan's neck. As he goes for Ramarajan's neck he slumps to the ground face down. Ravichandran's back is poked open and blood gushes out. An angry Sulakshana stands there holding a heavy, bloody crowbar.

Sulakshana goes to church and and this time she confesses. Then the police handcuff her.

SPOILER ENDS!

Today's pick is a nice fishermen song that comes at the beginning of the film to introduce the leading man Ramarajan.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/pungkaththu_visum.rm

RC
21st April 2008, 05:51 AM
3 maNi nEra kadhaya ippadi 3-E nimishaththula sollitIngaLE, Neel. :) engaLukku kadhai solluradhukkaagavE padam paathIngaLA? :P I thought Ramarajan always worked with IR in all his movies (directed by him).

indha pattu kEttu romba naaLaachu. Thanks!

SN23
21st April 2008, 10:47 AM
Neel: Good base story for this Ondru engaL jAdhiyE, but the treatement in Thiriakadhai, cast etc spoiled the film. I am not joking :-)

The climax reminds me the one of Dhandanai. Jaichitra kills the villain, who killed her husband Chakravarthi. JC holding a gadapparai in her hand with lot of artificial sweat on her face while the villain (Sangili Murugan??) collapses. Vijaykant and Ambika were the lead pair.

baroque
21st April 2008, 11:21 AM
Nice themmangu!! thanks.

Read the story too !!

Neel D
21st April 2008, 08:29 PM
RC, you are welcome. If it has been a while since I watched the film I will watch it again before I type the story. If not I will mix it up with other stories. :)

SN23, nIngga pArkkAtha padamE illaiyA? :) Yes, the cast wasn't great. But I thought that the screenplay was cleverly written to strategically place Ramarajan's character in several situations where someone was in trouble and he was there to protect or help them. And the story of the film was wrapped around those situations.

baroque, you are welcome. :)

madhu
21st April 2008, 08:37 PM
matha songs pathi oNNum sollaiyE..

koodai niraiya meenu kondu vandhen naanu..
vandi varudhu vandi varudhu oora suthura vandi..

ippadipatta popular songs ellAm irukkE ! :froggrin: :rotfl:

Neel D
21st April 2008, 09:26 PM
madhu, unggaLukku theriyAtha pAttA? aapadiyE baroque kELvikkum badhil sollidungga (rAsA vIttu...). :)

baroque
21st April 2008, 10:48 PM
I found one more song in Paadu kuyile paadu

Hare Rama.....
Listening to Hare Rama..... very funky orchestration, smooth singing by Lover boy! Must be 80's.

Neel D
22nd April 2008, 09:18 AM
Pick #623

Song: kUdai neRaiya mInu
Film: Ondru Engal Jaathiye
Singer: S.Janaki
Lyrics: One of (Muthulingam, Gangai Amaran, Thiruppathooraan, Pattukkottai Natarasan)

This week SJ celebrates her birthday. Happy Birthday SJ amma!

Today's pick, another MGR formula ingredient, is the heroine introduction song for Nishanthi. With her perfectly symmetrical facial features and slim figure she bounces around and dances in measured steps and programmed body movements just like a doll.

Songs in the film are:
pUngkAththu vIsum - Gangai Amaran & Chorus
kUdai neRaiya mInu - S.Janaki
vaNdi varuthu - S.Sivachidambaram & Chorus
kAththOda pOgum - Mano
eNNi varum eNNam ellAm - Malaysia Vasudevan, P.Jayachandran, Kovai Souderrajan & Chorus

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/kudai_neraiya.rm

madhu
22nd April 2008, 07:06 PM
:clap:

Happy Birhtday SJ yamma ! :P

From Mars
22nd April 2008, 10:13 PM
I was looking for the name of the movie for 'kaathOda pOgum'. finally found it here :) Still I have bunch in my list without the name of the movie :)

baroque
22nd April 2008, 11:04 PM
WISHES & THANKS TO Janaki amma!!

madhu
23rd April 2008, 08:01 PM
Dear Neel..

SJ piRandha week-la reNdu request vaikkiREn..
if possible.... kaNdippA pOdungO !

1) inimEl naaLum iLankAlaithAn - iravu pookkaL
2) vasanthamum neeyE malargaLum neeyE - kaNNeer pookaL

:P

Meerakrishna
23rd April 2008, 08:59 PM
Happy Birthday To Janaki Amma.

Thanks to NeelD.

Neel D
24th April 2008, 09:25 AM
madhu, thanks. I will look for those songs.
From Mars, welcome back.
baroque, thanks.
Meera, you are welcome.

Neel D
24th April 2008, 09:27 AM
Pick #624

Song: naRumaNa malargaLin
Film: Urangatha Ninaivugal

Continuing with SJ solos...

"Urangatha Ninaivugal" was a sophisticated film, for its time. Radhika gave a wonderful performance. Do not remember the entire story now nor do I have the video to watch. But if you get hold of one, do not miss.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/narumana.rm

baroque
24th April 2008, 10:23 AM
:ty: :ty: :ty: Priya for a nice song.

RR, Can you enlighten us about the Raga!

Narumugaiye narumugaiye.... maadhiri yerukku.... with Nattai ambience to my ears!

Digression

Neel,

Vani is telling PON MAYAMAANA KAALAM VARUM ENDRU..... Do you have that song? I don't have that song. I have malligai en mannan..... only. Can you guide me!

End

love, Vinatha.

RR
25th April 2008, 03:23 PM
baroque,

Some Naatai feel is there (but the only similarity I see with 'naRumugaiye' is the first two letters), but it seems a mix of several ragas. May be Nitya/vel can throw more light. Why don't you post in ROS thread.

btw, nice one Neel & priya!

jmahesh
25th April 2008, 04:52 PM
Many thanks for this song.Listening to it after nearly 20 + years. I have seen this movie.Remember as a good movie though cant recall the story line.
Was featured on Vikatan's cover as one of the top 3 movies in that year based on marks though it was not a success in box office.This song featured Sivakumar & Menaka.
Another good song in this movie is 'mOunamae nejil naalum' by KJY.
Here is the link for it
http://www.dhool.com/sotd2/552.html

bobgalee
25th April 2008, 07:40 PM
all i remember abt Urangaatha Ninavugal was

Balu Mahendra was the cinematographer for that movie.

Meerakrishna
25th April 2008, 08:00 PM
Wow!!! very nice song "VarumaNa MalargaLin", effortless singing by SJ amma, what a breath control. beautiful song.

Thanks to Priya and NeelD.

regards.

tvsankar
25th April 2008, 08:06 PM
Neel and priya,
Thanks for the song.
Beautiful composition from IR.

baroque
25th April 2008, 09:17 PM
RR, for Nattai ambience, I mentioned 'Narumugaiye narumugaiye...' as reference.

anyway..
Can you help me with that Vani Jayaram's first song for Shri.MSV!

Vinatha.

Neel D
25th April 2008, 11:49 PM
baroque, I don't have "ponmayamAna". I don't believe I have even heard it. If I find it I will host it.
bobgalee, yes, the film had good camera work.
RR, jmahesh, Meera, Usha, you are welcome.
jmahesh, welcome back.

Neel D
27th April 2008, 04:18 AM
Pick #625

Song: ganggai nadhi
Film: Poove Ilam Poove
Music: Jerry Amaldev

"Poove Ilam Poove" starred Suresh, Nadhiya, Jaisankar, Sumitra, Vinu Chakravarthi, Radharavi and others. The story happens in beautiful locations around Ooty. Suresh is the son of a poor blacksmith(Vinu Chakravarthi). Nadhiya is the daughter of the rich Jaisankar. Per cinema tradition Jaisankar walks around with a smoke pipe hanging out of his mouth all the time to show that he is rich. Suresh and Nadhiya attend the same college. They meet and fall in love. Per cinema tradition their meeting starts with a fight and then turns into love. Jaisankar does not like his daughter going out with a poor boy. So he tries to separate them. Jaisankar's loyal employee Radharavi helps Jaisankar in separating the lovebirds by means of threats of violence against Suresh.

Radharavi's sister Sumitra is a middle-aged single woman who works as a school teacher. She moves from Chennai to Ooty where she takes up a new job in the local school. She moves in with her brother Radharavi. Sumitra happens to meet Nadhiya by accident and develops frienship with her. One day she visits Nadhiya's house and finds that Nadhiya's father Jaisankar is none other than the man she was in love with, about twenty years ago, while living in Chennai. Jaisankar had promised to marry her, slept with her and had disappeared. Sumitra tells Radharavi about her relationship with his boss Jaisankar and about his betrayal. Radharavi turns against Jaisankar and decides to help the young lovers.

Jaisankar is hellbent over splitting the lovers. He threatens Vinu Chakravarthi and asks him to discipline his son. He then hires a bunch of thugs to beat up Suresh and locks up Nadhiya in her room. Through her window Nadhiya watches Suresh getting beaten up by Jaisankar's men. That is when today's song appears in the film.

SPOILER ALERT! Skip the next paragraph if you do not want to know how the film ends.

Vinu tries to arrange a marriage for Suresh with his muRai girl. Jaisankar tries to arrange a marriage for Nadhiya with some guy. Suresh secretly breaks into Nadhiya's house, takes her with him and the two run into the woods. Jaisankar believes that Sumitra and Radharavi are helping the lovers and must know their whereabouts. In the woods, per cinema tradition, Suresh and Nadhiya come across a group of tribals celebrating a temple festival singing and dancing. Luckily the mountain tribe does not speak Salamiya nor do they provide sanctuary to the lovers as they do in other films. After that festival the lovers keep walking and bump into their friend Chinni Jayant. Chinni agrees to help them get married at the hill temple and goes to get flowers, etc. Chinni's wife brings Sumitra to the temple because Nadhiya wants an adult to conduct the wedding. On the way, Chinni is confronted by Jaisankar. When Jaisankar threatens him (did you notice that Jaisankar's only job in the film is to threaten everybody) Chinni tells Jaisankar everything. Jaisankar then rushes to the temple but by then Suresh and Nadhiya have tied the knot. Jaisankar raises his gun and is angry enough to kill someone, but he hasn't fired his weapon yet. Before he decides one way or the other, Radharavi arrives at the temple and in a haste fires a gunshot at Jaisankar. In typical cinema tradition, Sumitra jumps in front of Jaisankar and takes the bullet to her chest, asks Jaisankar to not separate the lovers, and dies.

SPOILER ENDS!

The story and dialog are by R.Sundarrajan and direction by Sirumugai Ravi. Amaldev's music is good but lacks something. The tunes are not as good as the orchestration. The film has a somewhat funny comedy track with S.S.Chandran and Senthil. The comedy track provides frequent and necessary relief from the never-ending bullying by Jaisankar. :)

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/ganggai_nadhi_pip.rm

bobgalee
27th April 2008, 09:37 AM
Sirumugai ravi, (R.Sundar Raajan's AD) was the director of disaster RAAGANGAL MAARUVATHILLAI which had wonderful songs like Vaan Meethiley Odum Megame and thendralo theeyo theendiyathu naano...

Poove Ilam poove had a gud number putham puthiyathu nitham iniyathu poove ilam poove as well.

Jerry amal dev had composed a very beautiful number EN KANMANI EN PAADAL KELADI from Ninaivo Oru Paravai (rendered by O and O SPB the Great...!) which was hosted in another website.

My request - Plz find and upload the PATHOS VERSION of EN KANMANI EN PAADAL KELADI

Thanks.

From Mars
28th April 2008, 02:48 AM
I remember one more song by SPS, 'oru pattam poochiyena vitaa paranthu vidum'

I can't remember the story, somehow that song stuck in my mind.

Neel D
28th April 2008, 08:37 AM
bobgalee,
I did not know that Ragangal Maruvathillai was by Sirumugai Ravi. I had the misfortune of watching it. Very painful. Gave me a splitting headache. Poove Ilam Poove is a million times better.
I will look for the Ninaivo Oru Paravai song.

From Mars,
Yes, "oru pattAmpUchchi" is from Poove Ilam Poove.

bobgalee
28th April 2008, 03:36 PM
I did not know that Ragangal Maruvathillai was by Sirumugai Ravi. I had the misfortune of watching it. Very painful. Gave me a splitting headache. Poove Ilam Poove is a million times better.

Thats why I said DISASTER.

Neel D
29th April 2008, 08:59 AM
Pick #626

Song: puththam puthiyathu
Film: Poove Ilam Poove
Music: Jerry Amaldev
Singers: S.P.Balasubramanyam, K.S.Chitra

Today's pick is for Nadhiya and Suresh during their happy times before Jaisankar finds out about their love.

Songs from this film:
pAttu pAda vanthEn - VJ (quite popular)
puththam puthiyathu - SPB,KSC
oru pattAmpUchchi - SPS
ganggai nadhi - SJ
kuLir adikkuthu - MV,SJ

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/puththam_puthiya.rm

Neel D
1st May 2008, 09:30 AM
Pick #627

Song: silu silu kAththu
Film: Nenjam Undu Nermai Undu
Music: S.A.Rajkumar
Singers: S.P.Balasubramanyam, K.S.Chitra(???)
Year: 1991

"Nenjam Undu Nermai Undu" with screenplay, dialog and direction of Ramadhas, starring Ramarajan and Rupini in the lead was one more formula fare. So, I will spare you the joy of reading the story.

Today's pick is a nice duet. But the audio quality is so-so. Not sure who the female singer is. KSC or Kasthuri? Three ladies (UR, KSC, and Kasthuri) were credited for playback in the film.

Other songs from this film:
nAttu nadappai nAn - MV
dEvi unnai nAn - SPB,Kasthuri
rAjAvE chinna rAjAvE - KSC
gum gum gummA - MV,UR

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/silusilu_kaththu.rm

bobgalee
1st May 2008, 01:38 PM
the breeze is cool and enjoyable.
post the other song - devi unnai naan

thanks.

Neel D
4th May 2008, 07:30 AM
bobgalee, you are welcome. I will post that song another time.

Neel D
4th May 2008, 07:39 AM
Pick #628

Song: kadalgaLum Ezu
Film: Thodarum Uravu
Singers: Gangai Amaran, S.P.Shailaja
Lyrics: Vaali
Year: 1986(?)

"Thodarum Uravu" starred a very young Karthik and and a very young Urvasi. An uncomplicated story, beautiful mountain locations, nice camera work by Suresh Menon, good looks of Karthik, and a good performance from both of the lead actors make the film watchable. It is Urvasi's first Tamil film though it seems to have released few years after it was made. Karthik still thin and pretty as sponge cake. The film was directed by Karthik Raghunath.

Julie(Urvasi) is a college student studying Psychology. She and her classmates, all girls, come to a mental hospital run by V.Gopalakrishnan, the chief doctor of the hospital, to do a project as part of their college work. There she meets Vijay(Karthik) who is a patient undergoing treatment, which includes painful electric shock therapy recommended and administered by the chief doctor himself. Vijay maintains that he is not insane and everytime he fights with the doctor or the nurse or the guards, even if it is for a valid reason, he is given another round of painful shock therapy. The visiting student Julie shows care and kindness to Vijay just to be polite, but Vijay quickly falls in love with her.

Soon after the girls leave, Vijay is recommended another round of shock therapy for getting in a fight with another patient. But he is not ready to take it any more. He attacks the warden and the guards, jumps over the fence and escapes from the facility. He finds a jeep parked by the side of a road, steals it and drives away. While driving the jeep down the mountain roads he comes upon a car wreck. Inside the car he finds Julie lying unconscious. He picks her up, takes her in the jeep and starts driving looking for a hospital to treat her. But, on the way he is stopped at a checkpost by the police who are looking for a stolen jeep. Vijay drives through the barrier and is chased by a police officer(Vijayakumar). Vijay drives into the woods and dirt roads to escape the police and ends up in a cottage far from civilization.

The next morning Julie wakes up and finds out that she has been kidnapped by a mental patient. She screams and cries, tries to run away and tries to get away in the jeep. But nothing works. Vijay says he is not insane, will not hurt her and will take her home safely. But that she has to wait until he can find a safe way to meet his father wihtout being caught by police. He then goes into town and brings food for her, presents her a saree for Christmas and celebrates the holiday with her. He behaves a perfect gentleman and Julie slowly changes his opinion about him. When she asks him about how he ended up in the mental hospital he tells her his story in flashback.

Vijay's mother is no more and his rich father marries another woman. His stepmother steals money from his father's account by forging his signature. Vijay catches her in the act. She makes up excuses and then tries to seduce him.. That is when his father walks in on them. She screams, accuses that Vijay was trying to molest her, that he must be crazy and needs treatment. Vijay is forcefully admitted into the mental hospital and kept under tight security. That is how he became "insane". Now he needs to go meet his father and tell him the truth. Julie says she will go with him too. The two of them leave the cottage to go meet his father.

SPOILER ALERT! Skip the next paragraph if you do not want to know how the film ends.

The police, now looking for a stolen jeep and a missing girl, close in on them. So, Vijay leaves Julie in the custody of a tribal group (you know, the tribal group that all lovers come across when they are lost in the woods). Julie safe with the tribals, Vijay manages to escape police and reaches home. He sneaks into the house and finds his stepmother in bed with another man. Vijay goes to attack the man and finds out that he is none other than the Chief Doctor of the mental hospital, V.Goplalakrishnan. While Vijay is tackling him his stepmother attacks Vijay on the head with a table lamp. At this time Julie manages to come to Vijay's house and Vijay's father also arrives at the house. Hurt badly in the head by his stepmother Vijay collapses onto the floor and... dies! Yes, he dies! Just like that! You are like... "WHAT???". The film ends there and they display a card that says "kAthalargaL aziyalAm, AnAl kAthal azivathillai, athu thodarum uRavu"... And you are like, "WHAT THE ????". :banghead: :evil:

SPOILER ENDS!

Today's pick is a lovely duet. This is when Vijay and Julie celebrate Christmas in the forest.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/kadalgalum_ezu.rm

Plum
4th May 2008, 01:53 PM
neel d- indha climaxukku spoiler alert thevai illai . In fact, it should be plain ALERT, which will help people read it here and avoid the film like plague when it comes on TV...:-)

RR
5th May 2008, 07:59 PM
Neel,

Good selection. Long since we heard GA sing.

priya32
5th May 2008, 10:48 PM
Neel,

Thanks for 'கடல்களும் ஏழு' song...I've never heard this song before!

Sounds nice! :)

Neel D
6th May 2008, 06:16 AM
Plum, that is right. :) However, to the director's credit, the film was quite good up until the climax.
RR, thank you.
Priya, you are welcome.

Neel D
6th May 2008, 06:20 AM
Pick #629

Song: vAzvOm vArunggaL
Film: Thodarum Uravu
Singers: S.P.Shailaja & Chorus
Year: 1986(?)

Today's pick is the song for a dance program the college girls put together on the last day of their project at the hospital. SPS proves that she can do a mellow delivery if she has to.

Songs from the film:
kadalgaLum Ezu - GA,SPS
vAzvOm vArunggaL - SPS & Chorus
vechchAn vechcAn - VJ (for the tribal dance)

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/vazvom_varunggal.rm

baroque
7th May 2008, 01:35 AM
seri, yedho oru pattumma indha song!
I thank your efforts, Neel! :ty:
Vinatha.

Neel D
8th May 2008, 10:50 AM
baroque, you are welcome.

Neel D
8th May 2008, 11:02 AM
Pick #630

Song: nIthAnE thURal
Film: Manmadha Rajakkal
Music: Shankar-Ganesh
Singers: P.Jayachandran, S.P.Shailaja
Lyrics: One of (Vaali, Kamakodiyan)
Year: 1984

"Manmadha Rajakkal" is a very funny and enjoyable film. Three bachelors, all in their sixties, live together in a big house named "Manmadha illam". They always dress in fancy suits or some modern urban clothing and all three dress alike. They have a lot of money to blow. They hang out with several women(played by Anuradha and others). Get this! The three bachelors are S.S.Chandran, Kallaapetti Singaram and Loose Mohan. Now picture the three of them in Charlie Chaplin suits and accessories. :lol:

Nalini lives down the street and works as a maid at Manmadha illam. The three bachelors drool over her all the time. Suresh is a paperboy whose route includes Manmadha illam and Nalini's house. Suresh and Nalini are in love.

One day, from a missing persons advertisement in the newspaper, the bachelors find out that Suresh is the only son and the heir of a rich man in Ooty. His rich father put out the advertisement looking for Suresh who went missing from his home in Ooty. The ad announces a reward of Rs.1 lakh. The bachelors ask Suresh about it and he admits that he ran away from home unable to tolerate his father's addiction to alcohol and gambling. The bachelors would like to have the money. So they take Suresh to go see his father in Ooty. Nalini also joins them. While staying in Suresh's father's house, one morning the three men wake up to find Suresh's father dead in their room. They panic. They are afraid that they will become murder suspects and will be accused of killing a rich man for his money. So, they decide to dispose the body secretly. But there is a problem. They have to manage to escape the house servant who keeps constant vigil. The servant is none other than our Senthil, who carries a knife all the time. He walks in an upright posture like a soldier, his eyes rolling in all directions in a permanent state of alert, holding the knife in his hand... like he is going to hurt somebody really badly. But then, he uses the knife to cut an apple or apply jam on the bread. Total riot! :lol:

The three bachelors take the dead body out of the house several times to dispose it off but keep bringing it back because they get in some kind of a situation every time. After several funny attempts they finally manage to bury the body. But their bad luck, some tourist videotapes them burying it.

Karate Mani is the police inspector who is investigating the disappearance of the rich man. I had no idea that Karate Mani was such a wonderful actor and a looker. I was very impressed. Mani gets the videotape from the witness who filmed it and the three bachelors go on trial for murder. Mani also finds an audiotape in the rich man's house in which the three bachelors' voices are discussing a plan to murder the rich man for his money. This was just a fantasy the three were discussing the night before the man died. But it was accidentally recorded on tape and is now implicating them in the murder. The trial begins. Funny thing is the three bachelors are interrogated as a group in court. All three climb into the witness stand at the same time, squeeze themselves in and say the stupidest things. :lol:

MAJOR SPOILER ALERT! Skip the next paragraph if you do not want to know how the film ends.

The three almost get convicted. But Mani decides to take the stand at that time. He says that the three bachelors did not kill the rich man. And that it was he who killed the rich man. At that time Mani's sister Arundhathi enters the courtroom and says that it was she who killed the rich man, and explains the incident in flashback. The rich man is Mani's friend. On the day of the incident he comes to Mani's house when Arundhathi is alone and attempts to violate her. In self-defense she attacks him and the man dies. Then she takes the dead man to his house, in a hurry she leaves him in the guest room where the bachelors are sleeping. And returns to her house. Arundhathi asks the judge to acquit the three bachelors and convict her. The judge hears the story. Acquits the three bachelors. Pardons Arundhathi and Mani for the murder committed in self-defense and the coverup.

SPOILER ENDS!

Other songs from the film
kAthal vaLarnthathu - MV
Asaiyila pU mudippEn - VJ
kalluppatti kaththirikkA - ?

You have to read these pearls of wisdom from Loose Mohan. The paperboy Suresh reveals to the three bachelors that he is actually the son of a millionaire who lives in Ooty and that he ran away from home because he couldn't stand his father's bad habits. Listening to Suresh's story about a rich boy becoming a paperboy Loose Mohan gets all philosophical about life. With a very serious look in his face he utters these pearls of wisdom.

ஹூம்ம்ம்... என்ன மனுஷ வாழ்க்கை?
அண்ணாந்து பாத்தா... வானம் தெரியுது!
கவுந்தடிச்சுப் பாத்தா... பூமி தெரியுது!
கண்ணை மூடிக்கிட்டு பாத்தா...
ஒண்ணுமே தெரிய மாட்டேங்குது!
:lol: :rotfl:

Today's pick is a duet for Suresh and Nalini.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/nithane_thural.rm

madhu
8th May 2008, 05:27 PM
Hi Neel..

hmm.. enna oru thread namma "pick of the week" ? :victory:
link-ai click senjA pAttu matum kEkkudhu :musicsmile:
sila samayam youtube search senjA video-vum theriyudhu.. :swinghead:
PC-yai off senjuttA oNNumE theriyala :cry2:

:yessir:

( oru vishayam..
:hammer: pOdavO adikka varavO koodAdhu ! :notthatway:
cinemA kadhai solRadhula en thAthA-vukku aduthapadi neengathAn best :thumbsup: )

Shakthiprabha.
8th May 2008, 07:37 PM
neel :thumbsup:

madhu :lol2:

baroque
9th May 2008, 08:34 AM
Neel, thanks for the story! :ty:
Madhu :lol:

Neel D
11th May 2008, 05:30 AM
Pick #631

Song: AgAya thottil katti
Film: Perumpulli
Music: S.A.Rajkumar
Singer: P.Susheela
Lyrics: Vikraman

Happy Mother's Day!

Today's pick is a bit song written by director Vikraman. I will post the regular feature tomorrow.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/agaya_thottil.rm

rajeshkrv
12th May 2008, 12:08 AM
wonderful song by PS
thanks for Sharing

crazy
12th May 2008, 12:14 AM
nice song :)

Neel D
12th May 2008, 04:20 AM
Looks like one of my last two posts disappeared... :huh:

rajesjkrv, you are welcome.
crazy, thanks.

Y'all,
If you had not noticed, last week was S.P.Shailaja week. This week will be Malaysia Vasudevan rustic duets week.

Neel D
12th May 2008, 04:28 AM
Pick #632

Song: urukku manasukkArar
Film: Yugadharmam
Singers: P.Susheela, Malaysia Vasudevan
Lyrics: One of (Gangai Amaran, K.S.Gopalakrishnan)

Directed by K.S.Gopalakrishnan, "Yugadharmam" is very interesting film though it is like a stageplay with its long dialog exchanges. The film starred K.R.Vijaya, Sulakshana, Rajesh, Rajiv, Poornimadevi, G.Srinivasan and others. Y.G.Mahendra is there to provide comic no-relief.

Collector Savithri(K.R.Vijaya) is the mother of Rajesh, Rajiv and Vanitha. Savithri is married to a much older G.Srinivasan, a stay-home husband. The family is wealthy and lives in a big house. KRV rules the household like an empress. The Collector's children are not that successful. Rajiv runs a tea and snack bar on the beach. Rajiv's girlfriend Poornimadevi is a rich girl with a bubbly personality. The other son Rajesh is unemployed. He likes Sulakshana who is Poornimadevi's friend. Sulakshana is poor, works as a telephone operator at a hotel and takes care of her father who is suffering from tuberculosis, a sister whose husband abandoned her, and the two children of her sister's, who are both blind.

In spite of her poor status, Rajesh still wants to marry Sulakshana and she agrees. Rajesh brings his parents and siblings to meet Sulakshana and her family to perform the engagement ceremony. KRV is very happy with Sualkshana and agress to proceed with the engagement. At this time, Sulakshana's father who went out to buy coffee for the guests returns. KRV looks at him and is shocked. He is shocked looking at KRV too. KRV quickly finishes the engagement ceremony and leaves.

The wedding takes place in the living room of KRV's big house. When it is time to tie the knot, KRV asks to hold off the wedding and asks Sualkshana's father to give her a dowry of Rs.10,000. He is shocked. He says he is too poor, has no money for dowry, and begs for her mercy to proceed with the wedding. KRV stays firm on her demand. G.Srinivasan scolds KRV. She responds, "You don't know the whole story. Many years ago, this man (Sulakshana's father) was engaged to marry me. But for want of a dowry of Rs.10,000 he cancelled the wedding at the last minute in the wedding hall. He hid the true reason from the wedding guests and told them that he just came to know that me(KRV) and my sister make a living prostituting ourselves and that was why he was cancelling the wedding. My father had a heartattack right there and died. Later one day a bunch of street thugs asked my sister to sleep with them and chased her. To escape from them she jumped in a well and died. After that I worked very hard, studied very hard and became a collector. By that time I was too old, couldn't find a better groom and had to marry you(Ouch!). But now, in the same lifetime, I have a chance for justice. I want the money. Then my son will tie the knot. This is Kaliyuga Dharmam.". KRV then goes upstairs to her room and shuts the door. Everybody is stunned. But Rajiv tells Rajesh to proceed with the wedding. Rajesh and Sulakshana are married. KRV comes out of her room and is outraged. She swears that she will never accept Sulakshana as her daughter-in-law and storms out.

At their wedding night Sulakshana tells Rajesh that until KRV accepts her as her daughter-in-law she does not want to consummate their marriage. Rajesh agrees. Rajiv tells Rajesh that if KRV has to respect him or his wife he needs to get a job, stand on his own legs and take care of his wife. Rajiv helps Rajesh find a job in Dubai. Rajesh leaves for Dubai. But the plane explodes midair and Rajesh dies. KRV is hysterical. She screams and cries. Sulakshana is literally speechless and stands frozen. KRV looks at Sulakshana, curses her and says that she is so heartless she won't even cry. They get into a heated argument. As emotions fly high, Sulakshana tells KRV that she doesn't have any good memory of her husband to think about about and cry over. She reveals that she never shared a happy moment with Rajesh. It is heartbreaking scene in the film. But KRV's stonecold heart is not moved.

Few days later Sulakshana refuses to go through the widowing rituals. She says until KRV accepts her as her daughter-in-law she will not take up widowhood. KRV yells that if she is not going to live by her rules then she must either leave the house or not eat another meal in her house. Sulakshana strikes back that it is her husband's house too, that she will not leave the house and that she will not even drink a drop of water in that house let alone eat a meal.

Sulakshana starts going to work, earns her own money and brings food and water from outside. Poornimadevi who had been travelling returns home, goes to see Sulakshana and finds out what has happened. The two cry. Then Poornimadevi tells Sulakshana that she is in love with Rajesh's brother Rajiv (this is when today's pick occurs). But Rajiv has told Poornimadevi that until there is some kind of resolution for Sulakshana he cannot marry Poornimadevi, because it was he who sent Rajesh to Dubai and caused his death and so he has to fix what he broke.

In the meantime KRV as a Collector is doing all kinds of good things for the public but treating Sulakshana cruelly at home. She doesn't know where Sulakshana goes to work everyday. She makes mean-spirited comments like "Girls her age can make a living anyway they want" and "She used to be a hotel employee, no one will believe she is clean even if she is". One day while driving to work KRV sees Sulakshana working as a traffic cop. KRV purposely drives through the stop sign. Sulakshana writes her a ticket and brings her to court. KRV is humiliated, pays the fine and goes home.

When Sulakshana comes home from work that evening, a furious KRV stops her at the doorstep and picks a fight about how Sulakshana humiliated her on purpose. But Sulakshana says that she did not know that KRV was the person driving the car and wrote the ticket as part of her duty as a cop. KRV says that humiliating others is a trait that runs in Sulakshana's family. KRV swears that she will take revenge some day by humiliating Sulakshana in public.

SPOILER ALERT! Skip the next two paragraphs if you do not want to know how the film ends.

Rajiv finds out that KRV's personal asssitant Bhaskar is looking for a wife and asks him if he will be kind enough to marry a widow. Bhaskar knows that Rajiv is referring to Sulakshana and agrees to marry her. Rajiv comes home to talk to Sulakshana. Sulakshana had just left home because someone called her and asked her to go meet Poornimadevi who is in some kind of emergency. But Poornimadevi arrives at their house at this time looking just fine. They all know something is wrong and go out looking for Sulakshana. They find that KRV's car driver has kidnapped Sulakshana. Rajiv chases the driver's van, fights with him and saves Sulakshana. They all come home. Rajiv yells at KRV that it was her fault that Sulakshana was about to be harmed. The car driver apologizes and says that KRV's insulting comments about Sulakshana gave him the idea to kidnap and violate her. That way Sulakshana will be humiliated and KRV would only be happy about it. An outraged G.Srinivasan asks KRV, "This girl was going to be seriously harmed as a result of your actions. According to your Yugadharmam you must receive a punishment for this in this lifetime. What is it going to be?". KRV hangs her head in shame.

Rajiv says, "Don't punish mother. I have a Praayachitham. Bhaskar is willing to marry Sulakshana". KRV and G.Srinivasan look at Sulakshana for her opinion. Sulakshana says that she only wants to be KRV's daughter-in-law and nothing else. KRV is taken aback. She looks at Rajiv like she was asking if he would be open to marry Sulakshana. Rajiv and Poornimadevi are shocked. Poornimadevi makes a quick decision and nods her head in approval with tears running down her face. KRV and G.Srinivasan are happy that Sulakshana will marry Rajiv and become their daughter-in-law. Sulakshana looks at everyone, excuses herself and goes into her room. She comes back wearing a white saree.

SPOILER ENDS!

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/urukku_manasu.rm

SN23
12th May 2008, 09:51 AM
Neel: AgAya thottil katti.. I have never heard. Thanks for sharing this gem. PS's voice was good in 1991 also. Great.

Yuga dharmam was a totally spoiled movie. I saw this kuppai unfortunately and shocked how I reputed director like KSG could give a hopeless movie like this. KRV's character gets changed each and every scene. In one scene, she would very humble and loving. Next she would be a villi. Indhu pOdhadhunnu, G.Srinivasan was made as Jodi for KRV. The scene where KRV suggests that Sulakshana be tonsured after she becomes widow. No one can digest how an IAS Collector (KRV) would advocate for such a shameful act. Kashtamappa....

I think this song was written by KSG himself with lot of duble meaning. Song for Rajiv and Poornima Devi.

Thanks Neel.

gingerbeehk
12th May 2008, 01:32 PM
Manmatha Raajakkal song first time hearing. Thanks for the song. It is possible to upload rest of the songs of this movie? I am sure tis movie songs are Rare indeed.

Jack

aanaa
12th May 2008, 06:06 PM
You are awesome Neel
Great job

:clap: :clap:

Neel D
12th May 2008, 09:33 PM
aanaa, thank you.

gingerbeehk, "kAthal vaLarnthathu" is an okay song. The other two are kuththu songs. That is why I stopped with nIthAnE thURal.

SN23,

It was the forcibly inserted formula ingredients (song sequences, comedy(?), and the fight scene) that spoiled the film. I liked the main story. KRV's character was built on a contradiction, how an otherwise good person can be so vile and vindictive. KSG explains it with the flashback of KRV's cancelled wedding and the death of her father and sister, but, I thought that he should have explored that contradiction even longer and deeper at a personal and emotional level by dissecting KRV's mind. Instead he wasted time on formula ingredients. If Yugadharmam shows how a human being can bring out the worst in himself(herself) where a victim herself becomes a victimizer, KSG's other film Pesum Deivam(1968) shows how a moment of extreme sorrow can bring out the best of goodness in a human being. The scene at the airport where Padmini simply gives away her child. How intensely Padmini feels the pain of Sowcar Janaki! The pain that she had felt before. It all showed in her face and in the run to the moving plane. Such an actress! That was a touching scene. Even narrating it makes me feel sad.

The central theme was great in both films. But KSG builds a lot of incidents around the central theme, then comes up with a strange title for the film and somehow tries to justify the title in the film... old school I guess.

SN23
13th May 2008, 10:39 AM
Neel: I have not seen Pesum Deivam. Please share that story when you host a song. My choice is Azhagu deivam mella mella. Excellent duet. TMS at his best. PS only for humming, I believe.

Meanwhile, I heard y'day MaanE oru mangala sippi un thaayE from Kadal meengaL. Aagaya thottil katti is almost in the same shades of that. SAR rite uttaaraa?

Neel D
14th May 2008, 03:58 AM
SN23, will do.

Neel D
14th May 2008, 04:09 AM
Pick #633

Song: thanthanathAm
Film: Maduraikkara Thambi
Music: Chandrabose
Singers: Malaysia Vasudevan, S.P.Shailaja
Lyrics: Mu.Mehta

Maduraikkara Thambi is the ultimate masala film with so many twists, turns and substories, your head starts spinning and keeps spinning for two straight days. The film starred Ramki, Sribharathi, Vijayakumar, G.Srinivasan, Manimala, K.Natraj, Sudhakar, K.R.Savithiri, and others.

Ramki is a country boy, a strict bachelor being raised by his grandmother in a village near Madurai. He is an Anjaneyar devotee. He beats up bad guys in the village. He is unemployed and his grandmother worries about him all the time. Sribharathi comes to the village to attend one of her friends' wedding. There Ramki and Sribharathi run into each other and the modern girl Sribharathi insults the country boy Ramki. Sribharathi leaves the village after the wedding and goes back to Chennai. The villagers make fun of Ramki about how he was insulted by Sribharathi. So he decides to go to Chennai to find Sribharathi and marry her as a revenge. He goes to Chennai and starts working for G.Srinivasan, a corrupt politician who commits all kinds of atrocities. But Ramki does not know that G.Srinivasan is a bad person. Sribharathi happens to be the daughther K.Natraj, a rich crook, who is G.Srinivasan's brother-in-law and partner-in-crime. (Wow... what a surprise! Villain's daughter is the hero's love interest!). :roll:

In Chennai Ramki runs into Vijayakumar who is a gang leader fighting evil wherever he sees it. Vijayakumar has elaborate plans to end G.Srinivasan's atrocities. After meeting Vijayakumar, Ramki learns about G.Srinivasan's crimes, joins hands with Vijayakumar in his fight against evil. In their course of friendship Ramki finds out that Vijayakumar is his own brother (Wow... more surprise! Long lost brother!) :roll: , and that their father is... is... G.Srinivasan! (Damn! I never saw that coming!).

K.Natraj's sister, a nightclub dancer, is a gold-digger who marries G.Srinivasan for his money. She is not his legal wife. Of course K.Natraj is his own sister's pimp and that is how he got acquainted with G.Srinivasan and became his partner-in-crime for the rest of his life. G.Srinivasan's son is Sudhakar, through his dancer wife. Sudhakar has an arranged marriage with a poor girl so that his father can get the votes of the people from the slum where the girl lives. The girl's mother is K.R.Savithiri. But G.Srinivasan (or someone) tries to violate Sudhakar's wife with Sudhakar's permission and she commits suicide. Then they make up a story that the girl had a lover before her marriage and since that love failed she killed herself. Of course this side story is to show that Sudhakar is also a bad guy. K.R.Savithiri, the girl's mother, also has a short side story. She is a community organizer at the slum and all the slumdwellers respect her.

Manimala is the mother of Ramki and Vijayakumar and she is G.Srinivasan's legitimate wife. Many years ago, when Ramki and Vijayakumar were little boys, G.Srinivasan sends a stranger to his bedroom when Manimala is there sleeping alone. Then he comes into the bedroom and blames Manimala of having an affair with that stranger. With that as an excuse he separates from Manimala and marries K.Natraj's sister. Manimala goes to stop their wedding but they set her on fire. She survives the fire but she is deranged. Her little son watches all this and of course he is going to take revenge. He grows up to be Vijayakumar. Little boy Ramki grew up not knowing any of this. At a very young age he was left with his grandmother to be raised in the village near Madurai.

During one of his fights against evil, Vijayakumar saves a nightclub dancer from being drugged and kidnapped. She is saved that time but the thugs still try to kidnap her again from her home and there her father dies trying to protect her from the thugs. Vijayakumar saves her again. Then the dancer falls in love with Vijayakumar and marries him and has a baby. Not going into detail, some more bad things happen to her and she dies. Vijayakumar is left with a baby to raise.

SPOILER ALE... hmmmmm... not worth it. Please keep reading.

Alright! I am going to try to wrap it up. Several kidnappings, chases, fights, gunshots, and killings ensue. Vijayakumar dies. Manimala becomes sane. Ramki wins Sribharathi's love. Your head spins like a propeller. And the film ends, finally! The filmmaker greets you "Vanakkam!" (yeah, whatever!). :roll:

Ramki was cute and adorable as the country boy. He was also fast and furious as the crime-fighter in the city. Too bad he did not stay very long as an actor. Had all the qualifications. Sribharathi is tall with a nice figure, but a forgettable face and has no opportunity to act. Vijayakumar, still young-looking, does his part very well. All other actors are their usual stuff. V.C.Guhanathan wrote the story(ies), screenplay and dialog for the film. Should give him credit for a neat screenplay, neat enough for me to remember the entire film and the order of events. :lol:

Today's pick is for Ramki and Sribharathi. I wish I had a better recording. Nice song. The short alapanais by SPS are lovely. :musicsmile:

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/thanthanatham.rm

RC
14th May 2008, 07:47 AM
Very funny, Neel D. naanum indha padam paathirukkEn...aana onnumE gnabagaththukku valla... nInga inga kadhai ezhudhuradhukkaagavE padam paapIngaLA... :cry2: romba periya manasu ungaLukku! pOdhaa kuRaikku Priya vera indha maaRi padamaa paathu paatu anuppuraanga ungaLukku (not this one, though) :P

baroque
14th May 2008, 07:57 AM
Neel,

Melottamaa paarthen, my eyes landed on 'Your head spins like a propeller' line in your current post & SN23's 'I saw this kuppai unfortunately ......' for the previous POW.

So I skipped reading your story narrations.:)

thanks for your efforts, Neel!:)

Vinatha.

Neel D
14th May 2008, 08:43 AM
Thanks RC. :) niRaiya padanggaL pArthtuvittu kathai ezuthAmal vittirukkiREn. :)
Don't blame Priya. I have not written stories for any of Priya's songs.

baroque, so you went straight to the spoiler. :notthatway:
And you are reading others' opinion before reading my story. Again, :notthatway:
You have start reading at the beginning of the story. You may find it entertaining. :)

baroque
14th May 2008, 08:53 AM
Appadiyaa!! :D

SN23
14th May 2008, 10:56 AM
Neel Anna... super shocks you have given thru Maduraikkara thambi.

1. Are you planning for G.Srinivasan vaaaram?

2. Manimala mother of Vijayakumar? kadvuLe..

SPS voice seems to be ok in this song.

If Ramki had shown more effort, he could have become much more popular. In my opinion, he is good in acting besides being handsome.

Neel D
15th May 2008, 10:21 AM
SN23,
No, not a G.Srinivasan vaaram. :)
Yes, I like Ramki a lot. Much much better than most of the commercial heroes who came after him.

Neel D
15th May 2008, 10:23 AM
Pick #634

Song: nAkkula mUkkula
Film: Chinna Chinna Veedu Katti
Singers: Vani Jairam, Malaysia Vasudevan
Year: 1980

Nice duet by VJ and MV. Quite popular in its time. Thanks to Priya for sending the song.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/nakkula_mukkula.rm

baroque
15th May 2008, 08:42 PM
:musicsmile: :swinghead: :ty: :ty: Priya & Neel!

LOVE YOU GUYS SO MUCH!

My manasu is jumping with kushi :bluejump: :redjump: :bluejump: :redjump:

Long lost gem of a themmangu! kaathala yendhu tea kadai pottachu! :) Happy happy joy joy

I like Ramki too .

I watched CHINNA POOVEY MELLA PESU with my friends at Trichy!

madhu
17th May 2008, 05:59 PM
Hi Neel...

nostalgic..

"muppAthamman kOvililE pAtha naaLu mudhalA"

idhai kEttadhum udanE kiLambi andha kOyilukku pOyittu vandhuttEn :mrgreen:

RC
17th May 2008, 07:31 PM
madhu: aduththa paatu New York nagaram urangum nEram-aam... kiLambi oru ettu vandhu engaLa paaththuttu pOnga :)

madhu
17th May 2008, 08:04 PM
RC..

adhukku adutha pAttu..

"sorgathil irundhu naragam varai" :shaking: :frightened:

adhukkAga angEyellAm pOga mudiyAdhu.. :notthatway:

"sorgamE enRAlum adhu nammoora pOla varumA :thumbsup: "

Punnaimaran
18th May 2008, 11:47 AM
Thanks Neel for the song nAkkula mUkkula. Hearing this after decades. Infact I had this song taped from radio at that time.

Thanks Priya for sending this rare gem.

Punnaimaran

Neel D
18th May 2008, 09:07 PM
baroque & Punnaimaran, you are welcome.
madhu & RC, :)

Neel D
18th May 2008, 09:09 PM
Pick #635

Song: ammammA Asai
Film: Kuppathu Raja
Singer: Vani Jairam
Year: 1979

MSV, VJ and the lyricist(Kannadasan?) turn a drunken woman's song into a classic. Have not seen this film. It starred Vijayakumar, Manjula, Rajinikanth and Padmapriya.

Today's pick is a nEyar viruppam.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/ammamma_asai.rm

gingerbeehk
19th May 2008, 03:15 PM
:musicsmile: :swinghead: :ty: :ty: Priya & Neel!

LOVE YOU GUYS SO MUCH!

My manasu is jumping with kushi :bluejump: :redjump: :bluejump: :redjump:

Long lost gem of a themmangu! kaathala yendhu tea kadai pottachu! :) Happy happy joy joy

I like Ramki too .

I watched CHINNA POOVEY MELLA PESU with my friends at Trichy!
Baroque, Naakule mookkule song is from movie CHINNA CHINNA VEEDU KATTI, released on late 70's. CHINNA POOVE MELLA PESU is released on late 80's which actor ramki's 1st movie...if i am not mistake.

Jack

baroque
19th May 2008, 09:16 PM
Jack,

Yes, chinna poovey Mella pesu is 1987.

Ramki, we are talking about the earlier POW from Maduraikkara thumbi!

Dreamy Vani Jayaram :thumbsup: :musicsmile:
thanks, Neel!

Vinatha.

RC
19th May 2008, 10:22 PM
Vinatha - nIngaLum thiruchi-aa? :shock: I remember watching chinna puve mella pesu during mr first year in college... endha theatre-nu gnabagam illai... was it maris?

Ramki was one of my favourite actors... He was good in fight sequences, had a good hair style, was okay acting wise... too bad that he did not stay/ was not allowed to stay.

baroque
20th May 2008, 07:50 AM
RC, I also don't remember. My appa chaperoned us :)

I studied at TRICHY- SRC - HOSTEL.
chathiram bus stand, Trichy Junction, Aandar street, Kizha kalkandar kottai, have gone to Srirangam temple, malai kottai, thaila silks, sarada's, vasantha bhavan- yummy! that chathiram bus stand is HEAVEN! :bluejump: :swinghead:

Naaz
20th May 2008, 06:48 PM
Neel D -

Top-notch pick! The sweet, sweet predictability of this site!
Another VJ / MSV solo that's an identical twin (rendum Padmapriya!) is from Vaira Nenjam: Neeraada Naeram Nalla Naeram.

I hope to catch up on all your other picks thus far sometime this summer.

Neel D
20th May 2008, 07:55 PM
Naaz, thanks and welcome back.

Neel D
20th May 2008, 07:56 PM
Pick #636

Song: enggenggO sila maNigaL
Film: Sonnadhai Seiven
Singers: P.Susheela, S.P.Balasubramanyam, Vani Jairam
Year: 1977

A wonderful song with beautiful voices and meaningful lyrics. I have not seen the film. It apparently starred Sivakumar and Sujata.

Thanks to sk for sending this song.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/enggenggo_sila.rm

RC
20th May 2008, 09:42 PM
Vinatha:Oh...SRC Hostel-aa? appo ungaLa theatre-la sandhichirukkura vaaippu illai :P Glad to know!

Neel: sonnadhai seiven kathai illayaa?

baroque
20th May 2008, 11:24 PM
:ty: :clap: for the wonderful pick, Neel & sk!

Very widely available in the net!
My favorite pathos. adhuleyum oru sugam!

nice & melodious singing.

idhamaana orchestration, appealing lyrics.
someday like to watch the visuals, today I indulge with content.

Morning woke up with Vaarathiruppalao..... & now your pow, whole day I just can't listen to any other song.
what a GREAT COMPOSER! :musicsmile: :ty:

RC, my appa used to pick up & drop me at the hostel!

:D Vinatha.

Neel D
21st May 2008, 08:45 AM
RC, I have not seen Sonndhai Seiven. I will probably post a story with the next song.

RR
21st May 2008, 10:28 AM
Neel,

Cool picks the last two.. :thumbsup:

Shakthiprabha.
21st May 2008, 02:00 PM
http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/enggenggo_sila.rm

Good :thumbsup:

Shakthiprabha.
21st May 2008, 02:15 PM
http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/ammamma_asai.rm

This song emotes pain and pathos :? :(

Shakthiprabha.
21st May 2008, 02:24 PM
http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/nakkula_mukkula.rm

wowwwwwwwwww coooooool song :D :redjump:

thanks to vinatha for bringing me here! :thumbsup: :bluejump:

SN23
21st May 2008, 02:42 PM
Sonnadhai seiven song is really good in typcial MSV style.

Wague rememberance of this film. Sujatha and Sivakumar are in love but Sujatha happens to marry Jaiganesh, who ill-treats her. She stays away from him but receives lot of trouble. But gets support from Sivakumar, whose wife Fadafut JL suspects SK. Some aracha maavu goes on like this.

I always gets confused to link this song with Enna thavam seidhen film.

Thanks for sharing this song.

baroque
21st May 2008, 11:52 PM
Hey Shakthi, :)

nakkula mookkula.... thala thalannu valanrndha pulla...:bluejump: :redjump: :swinghead:

LOVE YOU NEEL SO MUCH for the pick! appadiye affection dripping in my heart!

'thottam thoravu maadi manai yedhum vendam enakku
sondham kolla nee irundha sorgam veru edhukku'

ippadiyellam potta naan appadiye urugi poyeduven! :)

crazy
22nd May 2008, 12:55 AM
engengo sila manigal :musicsmile:

Baro, u trichy ...cool :P

Neel D
22nd May 2008, 07:53 PM
RR, Shakthiprabha, SN23, baroque & crazy, thank you.

RC, I will post some stories next week. Did not have time to type this week.

Neel D
22nd May 2008, 07:54 PM
Pick #637

Song: Asai thuNaiyE
Film: Pallavi Illaatha Paadal
Music:
Singers: Vani Jairam, Dhanasekar
Lyrics:
Year:

A nice jazzy number. Don't have much details about the song or the film.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/asai_thunaiye.rm

bobgalee
22nd May 2008, 08:00 PM
Thanks for aasai thunaiye song Neel.

Plz upload the SPB number Ullathil Nalla from Pallavi Illatha Paadal

thanks a ton.

baroque
23rd May 2008, 05:59 AM
Very nice, Neel!

(only upto 0:11) kutti, dreamy humming by our girl!

:ty: vinatha.

balaji
24th May 2008, 07:47 AM
Neel
Thanks for the song.

We have discussed Dhanasekaran and Mallika when Ramki hosted the FAMOUS "Malargalin Raaja". Based on the music this song has, it seems to be D. Thyagarajan as well who gave the Malraglai Raaja from Valli Devayanai

Thanks
Bala

Neel D
25th May 2008, 10:33 PM
bobgalee, you are welcome. Do you have any information about "Pallavi Illaatha Paadal"?

balaji, welcome back. Yes, the music does sound similar to "Valli Deivanai". It could be the same MD.

Neel D
25th May 2008, 10:37 PM
Pick #638

Song: chinna chinna rOjAppU
Film: Poovaasam
Music: Ganesh (of Shankar-Ganesh)
Singers: S.N.Surendar, K.S.Chitra
Lyrics: One of (Vaali, Muthulingam, Ganesh, Sribharathi)
Year: ?

"Poovaasam" is a typical love story in a rural setting. Story, screenplay, dialog and direction by Sribharathi. The film released in 1999, according to another website. But you can take the film and drop it anywhere in the mid to late 80s and it would fit perfectly. May be the film was a long time in the making before it released. The story, actors, singers and songs take you back smoothly into the 80s. The film starred Murali and a new face Ramya in the lead. Looking at Murali one really cannot tell which year or even which decade the film was made. Ramya is of no help either. Never seen her in any other film to make a guess.

Murali is the only son of a policeman (Vinu Chakravarthi), a widower trying very hard to raise his son. But Murali does not go to school or work, simply hangs out with other village kids thavakkaLai, pattu, oththai kOmaNam, tottadoing, daNdanakka, lodakLAs, etc. (okay I made up the last two names...lol... but the first four names are real). The gang steals fruits from farms, snacks from tea shops and generally has a jolly good time. Across the street from Murali's house lives the highschool girl Ramya, the daughter of a school teacher (Pushpalata), a widow trying to raise a disciplined daughter by employing strict rules. Pushpalata's mother lives with her too.

Murali has a crush on Ramya, but she ignores him because he is just a jobless troublemaker. One day Murali burns his own arm because Ramya won't talk to him. Another day he saves Ramya's cousin (muRai payyan) Sekar from a thief. Ramya has a change of heart and develops a liking for Murali. She burns her hand too and goes to meet him in the farm. (And they sing the duet "chinna chinna rOjAppU"). Ramya tells Murali to stop stealing things and start behaving like a responsible adult. Murali stops stealing and gets a job. His father Vinu is very happy about it. One day when Ramya and Murali meet on the farm a snake bites him in the leg. Ramya tears a piece from her half-saree and ties it in his leg above the bite. Murali is brought to his house and Ramya is sitting next to him cyring her eyes out while the medicine man is tending Murali. Pushpalata sees the piece of her daughter's clothing on Murali's leg and suspects that there may be something between Ramya and Murali. Then she brings Ramya home and yells at her for hanging out with a boy. A few days later Ramya goes to meet Murali again in the farm and Pushpalata sees it. When Ramya arrives home Pushpalata slaps her left and right and forbids her to see Murali.

kALaiyan(Jaisankar) is a widower and a do-gooder who helps unite young lovers in the village separated by caste divisions, etc. A young woman in the village is madly in love with Jaisankar and wants to marry him, but he spends his time smoking, drinking and moping around thinking of his dead wife who was killed by the village Pannaiyar. Pannaiyar's friend wanted to marry Jaisankar's wife. But she refuses and marries Jaisankar. Pannaiyar and his men come to kill Jaisankar but his wife interferes to protect Jaisankar and dies when a crowbar plunges through her. Jaisankar overhears Murali and Ramya talking one day and decides to help them get married.

One day when she is coming home from school Murali presents Ramya with a bead necklace. When Pushpalata finds Ramya wearing the necklace she pulls that off her neck, beats her up and scolds her for letting her mind wander instead of focussing on education. Pushpalata's husband died young and it was her education that helped her get a teaching job which now helps her family survive. She wants her daughter to get an education also so that she can stand on her own legs if needed. However, Pushpalata decides that things are getting out of hand and goes to meet her brother. Her brother agrees to have his son Sekar marry Ramya. Pushpalata then comes home and locks Ramya in a room and tells the grandmother to not open the door. Ramya tries to write a letter to Murali. She finds a dried out pen in the room. She pokes her hand and uses her blood as ink to write the letter and tries to send it to Murali through one of his little friends who comes by her window. Pushpalata finds out and tears the letter. Then when Pushpalata heads out to work, the grandmother decides to let Ramya go free. She drops a grinder stone on her foot on purpose and uses that as an excuse to release Ramya and they both head to the hospital. On the way they meet Jaisankar. Ramya tells him that her mother is arranging a forced marriage for her. Jaisankar says he will help her and leaves.

Radharavi is the police inspector under whom Vinu works. They are both very honest policemen and will do anything to uphold the law. Radharavi is also the cousin of Ramya and the older brother of Sekar who is going to marry Ramya. When Vinu finds out about Ramya being forced to marry Sekar he decides to help his son out. He talks to Pushpalata but she refuses and insults him for trying to break up a marriage. Vinu decides to take things into his own hands. He tells Radharavi that he needs to do some things against the law and submits his resignation.

SPOILER ALERT! Skip the next two paragraphs if you do not want to know how the film ends.

Pushpalata anticipates trouble from Murali and Vinu at the wedding and asks the Pannaiyaar to provide protection. The night before the wedding, Murali and Vinu go to stop the wedding and are confronted by the Pannaiyaar and his men. They all fight and Vinu ends up killing the Pannaiyaar. Jaisankar gets informed about the confrontation.

The morning arrives. Wedding ceremonies proceed. Radharavi has a private conversation with Pushpalata in her room. Ramya gets dressed up for the wedding ceremony in her room. When others are not looking she drinks a bottle of poison. Then she heads to the maNavaRai. Ramya is sitting in the maNavaRai and the priest asks the groom to take his seat. Dressed like a groom, Murali walks in. Ramya is pleasantly surprised, and terribly devastated at her haste to drink poison. Murali sits next to her. Vinu attends the wedding in handcuffs. Radharavi wonders why Jaisankar is missing at the wedding. Murali ties the knot. The newlyweds go to Pushpalata, touch her feet and get her blessings. Tears rolling down her face Ramya tells her mother that her decision to allow her to marry Murali was too late and faints. Everybody screams and some people pick Ramya up and rush to the hospital. Radharavi does not panic. He looks at the crying Pushpalata and tells her not to worry. He then says that he heard about Ramya's deep love for Murali, expected Ramya would do something stupid like this, replaced the poison with just a mild sedative and that she should be all right. Jaisankar is at the arrack shop, drinking, now that he has taken care of everything. Well, that was my deduction. If Jaisankar did not tell him how else would have Radharavi known to switch the groom, and the poison? Subam!

SPOILER ENDS!

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/chinna_chinna.rm

crazy
26th May 2008, 12:05 AM
1999...song'a kettka 80's vandha maari irukku :)

baroque
26th May 2008, 11:54 PM
:ty: Neel!

Digression

Neel,
Have they taken SAATH SAATH(80's hindi movie) in tamil?
I know ARTH was taken as Marupadiyum.

End.

thanks, vinatha.

RAGHAVENDRA
27th May 2008, 06:18 AM
Pick #637

Song: Asai thuNaiyE
Film: Pallavi Illaatha Paadal
Music:
Singers: Vani Jairam, Dhanasekar
Lyrics:
Year:

A nice jazzy number. Don't have much details about the song or the film.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/asai_thunaiye.rm
Dear Neel D
Thank you for providing the link for this song. This is one of those rare songs that we come across. I heard that Dhanasekaran later on christened as Sangeetha Raajan and composed music for Thyagarajan's films Poovukkul Poogambam, Salem Vishnu, etc.
Raghavendran

Neel D
27th May 2008, 05:38 PM
crazy, all songs in the film sound 80s.

baroque, you are welcome. My knowledge in Hindi films or HFM is zero. Have you tried "From which film..." thread?

Raghavendra, thanks for the information. We featured a song from Poovukkul Boogambam some time ago. It is a good album.

Neel D
27th May 2008, 05:41 PM
Pick #639

Song: pUngkAththu vIsuthadi
Film: Poovaasam
Music: Ganesh (of Shankar-Ganesh)
Singer: Mano
Lyrics: One of (Vaali, Muthulingam, Ganesh, Sribharathi)

Today's pick is one of my favorite solos by Mano. The song is a dream sequence for Murali and Ramya.

Songs from the film:
chinna chinna rOjAppU - SNS,KSC
pUngkAththu vIsuthadi - Mano
pAda cholli thALam pOdum - MV
ennai mattumthAn pAkkaNungga - Mano,Vidya
kAgithaththai kizichchupputtA - Mano

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/pungkaththu_pv.rm

RR
29th May 2008, 12:35 PM
Neel,

Mano does sound sweet in this song. Must be one of his early songs?

Neel D
29th May 2008, 05:55 PM
RR,
Could be. The year of the making of the film and the recording of the songs is still a mystery.

Neel D
29th May 2008, 05:56 PM
Pick #640

Song: enggE vanthE
Film: Jambu
Singers: T.M.Sounderarajan, Vani Jairam

Today's pick was moderately popular when the film released. "Jambu" starred Jaisankar and Jayamala. Still remember those raunchy posters. Of course it was a Karnan film.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/engge_vanthe.rm

Shakthiprabha.
29th May 2008, 06:01 PM
எனக்கு இப்பாடல் அவ்வளவு பிடித்தமாய் இல்லை. இப்பாடலை இது வரை நான் கேட்டதில்லை. வாணிஜெயராம் குரல் ஒரு ஆறுதல்.

நன்றி நீல் :)

madhu
29th May 2008, 06:20 PM
பொழுது போகாம just now watched "jambu" in raj TV :banghead:

even the beautiful "En indha mayakkam".... கொலை.. கொலை.. :cry2:

indha song-a .. indha song-a :cry3:

just kEttu rasiyunga.. yArum pArthu rasikka ninaikka vENdAm :skull:

Shakthiprabha.
29th May 2008, 06:27 PM
:D

baroque
31st May 2008, 01:05 AM
Seri nannaaillai, Neel!
poyettu poradhu pongo..

Lets hang around with Ramki at POW - HubWiKi this lunch hr!

'Pick #163

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/devi_nir.rm

Song: devi neeyindri
Film: niraparadhi
Singers: SPB, Vani Jairam
Music: Shankar-Ganesh '

:bluejump: :thumbsup:

Way to go, Dude!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

'Pick #493

Song: bUpALam arangERum
Film: Agni Theertham
Singer: K.J.Yesudas '

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow07/bupalam_arangerum.rm

:musicsmile: :clap:

:ty: Neel!!

Vinatha.

Neel D
2nd June 2008, 02:25 AM
Shakthiprabha, madhu & broque, thanks.

Neel D
2nd June 2008, 02:26 AM
Pick #641

Song: thEradithAn kizakkilE
Film: Kai Koduppaal Karpagambal

"Kai Koduppaal Karpagambal" starred K.R.Vijaya, Seetha, Rajiv and others. If I remember correctly, Seetha is sent to prison over a false charge and she sings this song while in prison.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/theradithan.rm

madhu
2nd June 2008, 05:38 AM
Hi Neel..

idhu false charge-la prison pOgum Doctor KRV pAdara pAttu illaiyO..

( somayajulu-thAn kovil gurukkaL-nu ninaikiREn )

Neel D
2nd June 2008, 06:19 AM
madhu, you must be correct. I saw the film years ago and don't remember it well.

SN23
2nd June 2008, 12:34 PM
Nice solo by PS. KRV (Doctor) gets jailed on an accused crime case. Goddess goes to Jail to release temporarily Dr.KRV to perform a key surgery. Goddess takes the form of Dr and gets inside the cell. The song comes in that situation. I remember it is a kind of background song.

There is another song for KRV (Goddess) to sing lullaby to make Seetha asleep. It is Mayil iragaal mella mella visiri vittEnE... Excellent solo.

Thanks Neel for sharing this song.

Neel D
3rd June 2008, 12:03 AM
SN23, you are welcome.

Hmmm... the goddess could have gone to the Operation theater herself and performed the surgery. She could have saved the doctor from walking the prison corridor hiding behind one pillar after another to escape the security guards, running across the open ground being chased by dogs, then climbing and jumping over the tall fence risking her life... just wondering...
:)

madhu
3rd June 2008, 05:51 AM
Neel... KRV ?? jumping over the tall fence ? :shock: :yessir:

Neel D
3rd June 2008, 06:48 AM
madhu,
Well... escaping from prison is not easy even if you have a temporary replacement.
Wait! :idea: may be when she escapes all the guards magically faint, the gates magically open on their own, and KRV just walks through it !!?!!

SN23
3rd June 2008, 10:16 AM
Neel: KRVijaya-va indha paadu paduthareenga paavam avanga.. good actress.. enna konjam unarchi vasapattu kathuvaanga :lol:

Shakthiprabha.
3rd June 2008, 11:52 AM
:rotfl2:

I suppose goddess had her energy limited to the extent of standing in the cell and making the guards magically faint. For taking up the operation her battery was n't charged so well !

:lol2:

// end dign.

kaikodupaal karpangambal song was good neel. thanks :)

srandy
3rd June 2008, 02:56 PM
Hi

I have been a silent member for a long time now. I really appreciate the good work being done in sharing some of the rare oldies that we've misplaced.

May I make a request for a song please?

I would like the song "devan vandhaan" from kuzhaindhaikaaga.

I could find one song from this very nice movie on the net - "thai maatha maegam" - sung by P.Susheela - music by mellisai mannar. It would be great if the other songs from this movie are hosted too : )

Regards
Andy

Neel D
3rd June 2008, 09:16 PM
SN23, I was making fun of the story. Not of KRV.

Shakthiprabha, you are welcome. :)

srandy, welcome to the thread. I will try to host your requests.

Y'all, today's pick is going to be delayed a little bit, but not by more than a day. Thanks for your patience.

baroque
4th June 2008, 01:09 AM
thanks, Neel!

Neel D
4th June 2008, 09:49 PM
Pick #642

Song: intha iravu
Film: Puthiya Sahaptham
Singers: S.Janaki, S.P.Balasubramanyam
Lyrics: One of (Pulamaipithan, Na.Kamarasan, Gangai Amaran, Idhayachandran)

Today's pick is nice duet that did not become popular. Puthiya Sahaptham directed by Visu starred Vijaikant, Ambika, Visu, Karthik and others. The film has very heavy thaali sentiment and the story is very long. V.e.r.y long!

Ambika is a poor young woman living with three siblings all younger than her. Vijaikant is a college student and the president of the student council. Ambika approaches him for recommendation and manages to get a job as the librarian at the college library. Few days later Visu comes to work at the same college as a professor. He goes to see Ambika at the library and she is shocked to see him. Visu drops a thaali on her desk and swears that he is going to accomplish what he came there for. Vijaikant, as the president of the student council, organizes blood donation camps and eye donation drives at the college. Visu is impressed by him.

There is a blackboard at the front entrance of the college building where they write announcements for students. Visu writes a message on the blackboard that Ambika just got married. Vijaikant gathers the students and they throw a surprise party for Ambika. She is really embarrassed by it but does not say anything. During the celebration Visu dangles a thaali in front of her. Ambika realizes that the party was Visu's idea and reports to the college principal. When the principal summons Visu and Vijaikant for an inquiry Vijaikant finds out that Ambika is not really married and apologizes to her. One day when Ambika goes home late at night she is followed by some street thugs. When they give her trouble Vijaikant magically appears there, fights them off and saves Ambika. Another day when her two siblings do not return from school till late at night she seeks help from Vijaikant and they both go around looking for the kids. (Thus the director establishes that Vijaikant is a nice, helpful and protective guy and that Ambika is a woman who needs a man in her life.)

Few days later, Visu writes a gossip on the blackboard that Ambika and Vijaikant are a couple. The principal suspends Vijaikant. The students go on a strike. Visu pretends like he is helping Vijaikant, but inserts a picture of Ambika in one of Vijaikant's books and tricks him into opening the book in front of the principal. The principal sees the picture and asks Vijaikant to leave the campus. Vijaikant swears that he will only return to college after marrying Ambika because her reputation has already been spoiled by the events. He buys flowers and goes to Ambika's house and proposes marriage. Ambika points him to a picture. It is the wedding picture of Ambika and Karthik. Vijaikant is shocked and figures that Visu has been playing him. He goes to Visu's house and demands him tell the truth for his actions.

Visu tells Vijaikant that Ambika is none other than his daughter-in-law. Now we go to flashback... Visu is a very rich man from Coimbatore. His son Karthik wants to marry Ambika, a poor girl whose mother dies when she was a child. Her father remarries and has three children with his second wife. Ambika's stepmother treats her badly. But the father is too afraid to stand up to his wife. The stepmother arranges a forced marriage for Ambika with an old man. Ambika refuses to go the wedding hall. Ambika's father finally loses it and attacks his wife with a lamp (kuththu viLakku) and the stepmother dies. The father then asks Ambika to take care of her three siblings and kills himself. Karthik reads this story in the newspaper, feels sorry for Ambika and wants to marry her. Visu happily arranges the marriage. But few days before the wedding Karthik has a mild heart attack. Visu is concerned and wants to stop the wedding. But the doctor tells him that there is no major threat to Karthik's life, that he can get married and live a long life. Ambika is not told about this. Karthik himself does not know the diagnosis of his chest pain. The two are married.

It is the wedding night. Ambika walks into the bedroom with a glass of milk. She looks at Karthik sitting by the bed and dreams of today's pick... intha iravu inba iravu... laala laala laa... :musicsmile: :swinghead: When the song is over she walks up to Karthik and hands him the milk. When he does not respond, she shakes his shoulder and Karthik slumps to the floor. He is dead. The doctor comes to see Visu, apologizes for his incorrect prognosis of Karthik's heart condition, blames destiny and God, and leaves. Ambika finds out that she has been cheated. After the funeral she and her siblings leave the house. Visu stops her at the front door and asks her to stay but she tells him that he is a cheat who hid the truth and had her marry a dying man. Visu says he believed what the doctor said and is devastated himself from the loss of his son and what he has done to Ambika. He begs he will leave all his property for her and go somewhere out of her life. But Ambika says that no amount of wealth can buy her fifty paise worth flowers to wear. And she leaves. Visu swears that he will not rest until Ambika is able to buy and wear those flowers and that he will follow her wherever she goes. Flashback ends! Visu tells Vijaikant that he chose him as the future husband of Ambika because of his good qualities, apologizes from playing tricks on him, and asks him if he will be openminded enough to marry a widow. Vijaikant agrees.

Ambika leaves her librarian job and takes a typist job in a company owned by Sivachandran. Vijaikant drops out from college and moves into an apartment across from Ambika's apartment. Ambika makes all efforts to avoid him. She takes cold showers in the middle of the night. Vijaikant goes to work as a peon at the same company where Ambika works. Ambika tells him to not waste his life over her. But Vijaikant says he will follow her until she changes her mind.

Ambika finds out that her sister is in love with a guy(let us call him Raghu) who is also a student at the college she used to work. Ambika decides to go see Raghu and talk about having the two married. She asks an older man at work to accompany her because she is a widow and does not want to discuss wedding plans. But the man refuses saying that if her bad luck affects her sister's marriage then he will be labelled as a person of bad luck too for being a part of the wedding plans. Then she asks her coworker Kishmu to accompany her. Kishmu agrees. They go to see Raghu. Vijaikant is also there representing the groom's side. Raghu says he will marry the girl only if Ambika gets married first and will be in a position to offer her blessings as a married woman. Ambika walks out of his house. As she leaves Raghu drops a bombshell. He says that Ambika's sister is pregnant and should have an abortion if their marriage is not going to happen. Ambika is devastated. Kishmu takes Ambika to his house, introduces his wife to her and tells her that he is the second husband of his wife whose first husband died leaving her with a child to raise. He says Ambika should change her mind about remarriage. Ambika leaves without answering him. Vijaikant secretly follows Ambika.

Feeling helpless Ambika goes to see Sivachandran, the owner of the company. She tells him her story. He says he is a widower too and can sympathize with her. He takes her home to chat. But there he attempts to violate her. Vijaikant who follows Ambika like shadow comes to her rescue. He beats up Sivachandran and saves Ambika. Ambika leaves without even expressing her gratitude. As she walks down the street, preoccupied, she carelessly crosses the road and gets hit by a van. Vijaikant takes her to the emergency room. She needs blood and he donates blood for her. When Ambika regains consciousness and finds out she received blood from Vijaikant she yells that she would have never accepted it had she been conscious. Vijaikant feels insulted but still he does not give up trying to change her mind. Ambika is discharged from the hospital and goes home.

While recovering from her injuries Raghu comes to her house, marries his sister in front of her, apologizes for lying that she was pregnant and takes his new wife with him. Now that her sister is gone the bedridden Ambika is left with two little siblings and no one to take care of her or the household. Vijaikant offers to help but she refuses. Vijaikant and Visu stay in the front room while Ambika's ten year old little sister does the cooking, cleaning, changing, physical therapy, etc. Fianlly Ambika gets better and goes to work. Vijaikant and Visu are still living in the front room. Visu stops Ambika and angrily shouts that she is stubborn beyond reform and probably never meant to have a married life anyway. Then Visu and Vijaikant leave her house. Her little brother leaves with Visu also.

Ambika applies for and gets a teaching job at another town. She secretly packs up and leaves for that new town with her little sister. But, when she arrives in the new town Vijaikant, Visu, her sister, little brother and Raghu are already there. Ambika asks Vijaikant to meet her near the lake at the end of the town. They go on a boat ride. Ambika says that she has no intention of marrying Vijaikant eventhough she likes him. She asks him to promise to not touch her ever. He promises. She says that she has decided to kill herself and is going to jump in the lake, and Vijaikant should not try to save her because he promised not to touch her. Vijaikant says if she jumps in the lake, he will jump and kill himself too. He deos not attempt to stop her from jumping into the lake. Finally, Ambika is moved. She does not jump in the lake. She agrees to marry Vijaikant. The two are ready to get married at the temple. But Visu leaves town, leaves behind a letter for Ambika wishing her good luck and saying that he is leaving town and removing himself from her new life in order not be a reminder of her sad past. Ambika marries Vijaikant. And at last the viewers are relieved from the tight hold of Ambika's stubbornness and from Visu's thaali sentiment that sits so heavily on their shoulders.

SPOILER ENDS!

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/intha_iravu.rm

madhu
4th June 2008, 10:08 PM
intha iravu inba iravu... laala laala laa... When the song is over she walks up to Karthik and hands him the milk. When he does not respond, she shakes his shoulder and Karthik slumps to the floor.

Hi Neel..

vara vara neenga post seyyara paattu ellAm bayankara effect-Oda irukkudhE ! :shaking:

Neel D
4th June 2008, 11:17 PM
madhu, :)

priya32
5th June 2008, 12:00 AM
நீல்,

எனக்கு 'இந்த இரவு' பாடல் பிடித்திருக்கிறது!

நான் இதுவரை கேட்டதில்லை! நன்றி!! :bow:

From Mars
5th June 2008, 03:09 AM
Neel,

this is regarding pick #638. I thought that the film name is 'keeraNoor kiLi'. I've recorded one song in early 90's (92-93) (kaagithathai kizhichu putta) (same time frame as the 'illam')

Neel D
5th June 2008, 10:03 AM
Priya, you are welcome. Glad you like it.

From Mars, you may have solved the puzzle. It seems like the film was originally named "Keeranoor Kili", made most probably in the late 80s, but released only in 1999 with a new name "Poovaasam". May be the original name "Keeranoor Kili" got too old on the public with the album being out for years already. Or, may be because the story does not happen in Keeranoor. It happens in a village named Odangachimedu near Kangeyam.

Plum
5th June 2008, 07:22 PM
neel,phew! how did you manage to
A) sit through that movie
B) remember it after so many years
C) patiently type out the story - padikkara enakke virakthi varudhunna, I wonder about your state after performing A), B) and C)!

Neel D
6th June 2008, 03:32 AM
Plum,

C) Sometimes you don't realize how long the story is before you start typing it. You start typing it and you are stuck with it. :(
B) I have the video tape. he he...
A) It was hard. Plus scene after scene you have to sit through the self-righteous Visu sermonizing the audience. And do not forget his clever(?) dialogs. :roll:

கண்ணா! இப்ப நான் இந்தக் காசை சுண்டிப் போடப் போறேன்.
இந்தக் காசை நான் சுண்டிப்போட்டால் பூவும் விழலாம், தலையும் விழலாம்.
பூ விழுந்தா தலை விழாது.
தலை விழுந்தா பூ விழாது.
பூ விழுந்தா தலை அடியில இருக்கும்.
தலை விழுந்தா பூ அடியில இருக்கும்.
நீ பூன்னு சொன்னதுக்கு அப்புறம் தலையும் விழலாம்.
நீ தலைன்னு சொன்னதுக்கு அப்புறம் பூவும் விழலாம்.
சில சமயம் சுண்டிப்போட்ட காசு நெடுகமா நின்னு சுத்தினாலும் சுத்தலாம்.
அப்படி சுத்தின காசு ஒரு பக்கமா விழலாம்.
அப்படி விழுந்த பக்கம் தலையாகவும் இருக்கலாம் இல்லை பூவாகவும் இருக்கலாம்.
இப்ப நீ என்ன சொல்றே?
உனக்கு பூ வேணுமா இல்லை தலை வேணுமா?

:lol:

Neel D
6th June 2008, 03:36 AM
Pick #643

Song: puyal vIsiyathO
Film: Puthiya Sahaptham
Singer: S.N.Surendar
Lyrics: One of (Pulamaipithan, Na.Kamarasan, Gangai Amaran, Idhayachandran)

Today's pick is for Vijaikant. He sings it standing in front of his apartment while Ambika watches him from her apartment. One of the nice solos by SNS.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/puyal_visiyatho.rm

Plum
6th June 2008, 07:14 AM
neel, i am speechless. Onne onnu dhaan solvaen - neenga deivam pa.

vramesh
7th June 2008, 12:27 AM
கண்ணா! இப்ப நான் இந்தக் காசை சுண்டிப் போடப் போறேன்.
இந்தக் காசை நான் சுண்டிப்போட்டால் பூவும் விழலாம், தலையும் விழலாம்.
பூ விழுந்தா தலை விழாது.
தலை விழுந்தா பூ விழாது.
பூ விழுந்தா தலை அடியில இருக்கும்.
தலை விழுந்தா பூ அடியில இருக்கும்.
நீ பூன்னு சொன்னதுக்கு அப்புறம் தலையும் விழலாம்.
நீ தலைன்னு சொன்னதுக்கு அப்புறம் பூவும் விழலாம்.
சில சமயம் சுண்டிப்போட்ட காசு நெடுகமா நின்னு சுத்தினாலும் சுத்தலாம்.
அப்படி சுத்தின காசு ஒரு பக்கமா விழலாம்.
அப்படி விழுந்த பக்கம் தலையாகவும் இருக்கலாம் இல்லை பூவாகவும் இருக்கலாம்.
இப்ப நீ என்ன சொல்றே?
உனக்கு பூ வேணுமா இல்லை தலை வேணுமா?

:lol:

Neel,
i am visiting this site after a long time.
What is so new about this Visu dialogue? We have been following this for years. I am reminded of my high school quarterly, half-yearly exams where we were asked to answer any 5 questions out of 8. 4 questions were known to us. Visu's strategy would be followed for the clueless 5th question - borrow some terms from the question itself and rotate the words this way and that way, reiterate a sentence by repeating it with double negatives and fill up half a page with it :P :wink:

nice song anyway :)

Neel D
8th June 2008, 09:32 PM
Pick #644

Song: thEnil vadiththa silaiyE
Film: Kuva Kuva Vaathukal
Singers: S.Janaki, Krishnachandar
Year: 1984

Kuva Kuva Vaathukal apparently starred Sivakumar and Sulakshana, and directed by Manivannan. I have not seen the film. I am guessing it was a comedy.

Thanks to Priya for sending this beautiful song.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/thenil_vadiththa.rm

tvsankar
8th June 2008, 10:26 PM
Dear Neel,
Thanks for IR's song.
Padalai kodutha priya - ungalukum ennudaiya
nanri.
Krishnachandar in Rare one.
Indha paatu IR in malaiyalam film il
malaiyalam version irukriadhu en ninaikiren.
That is the original version of this song
i think so.
Sung by KJY.
song goes like this "Maanae madhurua kuzhambae"

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

arunprasad
8th June 2008, 11:48 PM
The song is ok, but the picturisation was horrible with Ilavarasi and Pandian appearing in swimming costumes. THey were the other pair in the film directed by Manivannan, which was supposed to be a laugh riot, but fell flat in its face. Sivakumar always struggles with comedy and all the other stars in the movie were dumb in terms of acting.

Neel D
9th June 2008, 02:31 AM
Usha, you are welcome.
arunprasad, thanks for the details.

Neel D
10th June 2008, 08:34 PM
Pick #645

Song: un eNNamthAn
Film: Othaiyadi Paadhaiyile

Othayadi Paadhaiyile starred Ganesh(of Shankar-Ganesh) in the lead. Have not seen the film and do not know any more details.

Thanks to Priya for sending this beautiful solo by SJ.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/un_ennamthan.rm

priya32
11th June 2008, 01:15 AM
Neel,

There is another popular & beautiful duet song in this movie 'செப்புக் கொடம் தூக்கி போற செல்லம்மா...நான் விக்கிப் போறேன் தாகத்துல நில்லம்மா' sung by KJY & Vani Jeyaram!

raagadevan
11th June 2008, 06:07 AM
Neel/Priya: If you have "cheppukkudam thookki pORa..." please post it. The song is KJY's answer to those who say that he is not versatile (in TFM)!! :)

rajan
11th June 2008, 08:37 PM
one more song like 'dandaku dandaku' with hero (shankar) ganesh running all along the road with a bag ( he acted as the postman for a remote village, I think)

Neel D
12th June 2008, 08:43 PM
Priya, thanks.
raagadevan, some may say that "cheppukkudam" is not a rare song. However, I will be posting your request. :)
rajan, thanks.

Neel D
12th June 2008, 08:44 PM
Pick #646

Song: cheppukkudam thUkki
Singers: K.J.Yesudas, Vani Jairam

Today's pick is a nEyar(raagadevan) viruppam.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/cheppukkudam.rm

Shakthiprabha.
12th June 2008, 08:44 PM
Neel/Priya: If you have "cheppukkudam thookki pORa..." please post it. The song is KJY's answer to those who say that he is not versatile (in TFM)!! :)

My choice too :bow:

thanks in advance neel.

crazy
13th June 2008, 12:01 AM
cheppukudam thooki :musicsmile:

wow nice song :P

raagadevan
13th June 2008, 05:26 AM
Hi Neel: Rarely do my wishes come true... even the rare ones that come true often take a very long time. "cheppukkudam..." is an exception. It is like instant karma! Like Maria in the Sound of Music sings, "somewhere in my youth or childhood, I must have done something good..." ! Thank you!! You made my day :D

About the song itself, it is rare because Yesudas rarely sings songs of this genre in TFM. He probably has sung more such songs in Hindi. Thank you once again... I must go out now and celebrate :D

baroque
14th June 2008, 03:26 AM
Cheppukudam....
:musicsmile: :redjump: :bluejump:
thanks, Neel & Priya!
vinatha.

Punnaimaran
14th June 2008, 12:03 PM
Dear Neel,

Thanks for the songs Un eNNam thAn and the enchanting cheppukudam. Nostalgic !!!

Punnaimaran

gingerbeehk
14th June 2008, 01:25 PM
Dear NeelD,

Wow...what a fantastic songs, Un ennamthan & Cheppukkudam. Both were best composed by SG. Thanks a lot for the songs.

Jack

Neel D
15th June 2008, 05:55 AM
Shakthiprabha, baroque, Punnaimaran & Jack, you are welcome.
crazy, thanks.
raagadevan, you are welcome. I share in your joy.

Neel D
15th June 2008, 06:02 AM
Pick #647

Song: padiththEn oru pAttu
Film: Pattikkattan
Singer: K.S.Chitra
Year: 1990

Happy Father's Day!

"Pattikkattan" starred Raghuman and Rupini in the lead. It is a recycled version of the same story of Maduraikkara Thambi, Sakalakalavallavan, Periya Idathu Penn and I don't know how many more versions are out there.

Other songs from the film:
pAththukkadi pAththukkadi - MV
enggE vechchE enggE vechchE - MV, KSC
eththanai kavarchchi - Mano, KSC

Today's pick is a cute song. But it has nothing to do with Father's Day. :)

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/padiththen.rm

RR
17th June 2008, 08:12 AM
I think SG tried a somewhat different style, though a strongly IR-inspired one.

Neel D
17th June 2008, 05:40 PM
RR, I thought it had and IR influence too. Inspired by Agni Natchathiram solos, I think.

Neel D
17th June 2008, 05:42 PM
Pick #648

Song: Arambam mAlai nEraththin
Film: Sathurangam
Music: V.Kumar
Singer: S.Janaki, K.Swarna
Year: 1978

A rare song that I never heard until Priya sent this to me few days ago. Do not know whom the male voice in the song belongs to.

Thanks to Priya for sending the song.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/arambam_malai.rm

Shakthiprabha.
17th June 2008, 05:51 PM
Pick #646

Song: cheppukkudam thUkki
Singers: K.J.Yesudas, Vani Jairam

Today's pick is a nEyar(raagadevan) viruppam.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/cheppukkudam.rm

:omg: I just saw this post now ! :oops:

:ty: a TONNE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

listening to this song after ages!!!!!!!!!!!!

RR
19th June 2008, 10:07 AM
A rare song that I never heard until Priya sent this to me few days ago. Do not know whom the male voice in the song belongs to.
http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/arambam_malai.rm

I feel like I've entered the TFM Page Night Bar. Anyway, a different kind of song.

Neel D
19th June 2008, 07:34 PM
Shakthiprabha, you are welcome.
RR, thanks.

Neel D
19th June 2008, 07:36 PM
Pick #649

Song: chinnappU vaNNappU
Film: En Asai Unnoduthan
Singer: Vani Jairam

"En Asai Unnoduthan" starred Prem and Poornima Jayaram. I think the film was a moderate success. Another nice song from the film is "dhEvi kUndhalO brundhAvanam" by KJY & VJ.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/chinnappu_vanna.rm

baroque
21st June 2008, 02:22 AM
I have indulged several times this musical.
soothing vibrations of orchestration & light singing generating a sense of calmness this hot summer afternoon.
:musicsmile: :musicsmile: vinatha.

Neel D
23rd June 2008, 02:30 AM

Neel D
23rd June 2008, 02:36 AM
Pick #650

Song: veLakku vechchA
Film: Maruthaani
Singers: P.Susheela, P.Jayachandran
Lyrics: One of (Vaali, Pulamaipithan, Vairamuthu, Gangai Amaran)

Today's pick is dedicated to the memory of actor Pandiyan.

A quick introduction for the younger generation who may not know much about Pandiyan... Pandiyan owned and operated a fancy store (some say bangles shop) in Madurai when he was discovered by Bharathiraja. Pandiyan was cast as the leading man in Bharathiraja's film "Mann Vaasanai". The film released in 1983 was a blockbuster. Brimming with youth and energy, and radiating raw masculinity Pandiyan was an instant hit. For many years following "Mann Vaasanai" he was a busy actor playing rustic or urban middle class characters in several films. He also played the lead in Bharathiraja's "Pudhumai Penn"(1984). If he had had the shrewdness and wisdom to sustain a career in that mould, or at least had had a second career planned ahead of time, he would still be around. But that is a lot to expect of a young man who had been thrust into stardom and wealth. All kinds of vices took over this actor. A broth of a boy not very long ago died at the young age of 48.

"Maruthaani", a village based story, is a very entertaining film. Starring Pandiyan and Shobhana in the lead the film was directed by Ramarajan. All songs in the film are enjoyable. Today's pick was picturized on Pandiyan and Shobhana.

Manikkam(Pandiyan) is an elementary school teacher who comes to a small village to start a new job. He starts working as a teacher in the village school and stays in the guest room in the house of the village Nattamai(S.S.Chandran). Nattamai's daughter is Maruthani(Shobhana), a fun loving girl who just hangs out with her friends pulling pranks on each other. Her pranks and mischiefs do not go well with Manikkam. They get into fights and arguments. One day Manikkam takes a bath in the river. He cannot swim. So, he ties one end of a rope to his waist and the other end of the rope to a tree on the bank. Not knowing the seriousness Maruthani unties the rope from the tree. Manikkam is washed away by the water. Some villagers down the river rescue an unconscious Manikkam and try to revive him. After a lot of effort he comes back to life. Maruthani regrets her action and starts developing a liking for him. Pandiyan also saves Maruthani from a couple of guys who try to misbehave with her when she is alone. Maruthani falls in love with Manikkam. And then today's pick happens. Of course Manikkam is a teacher, hence the references to teaching and grading in the lyrics. :musicsmile:

One day an astrologer comes to Nattamai's house and looks at Maruthani's horoscope to find her a groom. He tells Nattamai that unless his daughter Maruthani gets married within the next few months something bad will happen to her parents. Nattamai panics and decides to get Maruthani married to her uncle(Janakaraj) eventhough Nattamai does not like him because Janakaraj is an unemployed bum who simply picks fight with everyone in the village. Maruthani is very upset over this. During this time through a school student the love affair between Manikkam and Maruthani becomes public. The village panchayat is called and of course Nattamai presides. He is all too happy that he has now found a better husband for his daughter and declares that the two will be married soon. Janakaraj gets very angry.

The wedding ceremony of Manikkam and Maruthani is in progress. Just before Manikkam ties the knot, Sulakshana appears with a baby in her hand and asks to stop the wedding. She says that she is Manikkam's wife and that he is the baby's father. The wedding is stopped. Manikkam does not say anyhting. Manikkam's friend Kavundamani yells at him, finds him a house and makes him move in there with Sulakshana and child. Maruthani is devastated at the turn of events. She tries to hang hesrself and her parents save her at the last minute. Her uncle Janakaraj starts to brainwash her parents so that he can marry Maruthani and enjoy all of Nattamai's wealth. He says that the whole village knows about Maruthani and Manikkam's love affair and no one else but him will marry her. Nattamai halfheartedly agrees to marry Maruthani to Janakaraj.

Manikkam, Sulakshana and the baby are living under the same roof but Manikkam sleeps in the verandah. Kavundamani chides him for the way he is treating his beautiful wife. Manikkam and Sulakshana do not respond to Kavundamani's advice. Manikkam tries to talk to talk to Maruthani when he runs into her on the street but she refuses to talk to him. The shcool students and the village thugs insult Manikkam.

SPOILER ALERT! Skip the next three paragraphs if you do not want to know how the film ends.

One day Kavundmani comes to Manikkam's house and tells him that he heard that Maruthani is going to be soon married to Janakaraj. Manikkam tells that the wedding has to be stopped. Kavundamani yells at him for still thinking about Maruthani when he has a wife and a child. Manikkam then tells Kavundamani that he kept quiet all this time to protect Sulakshana's dignity and then tells him Sulakshana's story. Sulakshana had told Pandian her story after they moved into the new house. And this is her story... Sulakshana came to the village from Chennai searching for the father of the baby who got her pregnant when he was in Chennai and then disappeared. She meets the father of her baby and asks him to marry her. The father of the baby tells her that there is going to be a wedding in the village. And it has to be stopped. That is his first priority. Because the wedding is being performed against the will of the bride's parents and that they will die if the wedding ever goes through. Once the wedding is stopped he can marry her. But he asks Sulakshana to help him stop the wedding. He wants her to lie that she is the wife of the groom. And that is what Sulakshana did. And the father of the baby is none other than the evil Janakaraj.

In the meantime, the village thugs tell Janakaraj that Maruthani will never marry him and will find all possible ways to stop their wedding because she is still in love with Manikkam. And that if she has to marry him he must have sex with her first. She will have no choice but marry him after that. Janakaraj gets drunk and goes to Maruthani's house when she is alone. He tries to violate her. Maruthani breaks free and runs to their back yard. Sulakshana had just learned from Kavundamani about Maruthani's wedding with Janakaraj. She picks up her child and comes to Maruthani's house. When Sulakshana arrives she sees Janakaraj trying to violate Maruthani and she pulls him away from Maruthani. Janakaraj pushes her and she falls near a grinder stone. The baby's head hit the stone and starts bleeding. Sulakshana gets really angry. Maruthani is still fighting to get away from the grips of Janakaraj. Sulakshana makes a split-second decision. She picks up the grinder stone and drops it on Janakaraj's head. Janakaraj dies. Maruthani's parents and Manikkam arrive at the same time and are speechless. The baby is sitting on the ground and crying. Manikkam picks the baby up and hands to Maruthani.

The police come and take Sulakshana away. Vanakkam!

SPOILER ENDS!

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/velakku_vechcha.rm

Plum
23rd June 2008, 07:15 PM
I could swear that this movie has Shobana tried to consume poison - this movie on DD introduced me to the term "Arali vidhai". But I am not sure since your summary doesnt seem to mention it. Or maybe it is another Pandian-Shobana-Janagaraj movie. So, a few thoughts:
1. Does this movie have Shobana-Pandian trying to do what Vijay-Sanghavi did years later , namely , test the censors out with their version of kabaddi - though being the 80's it was quite a tame affair?
2. I can vaguely remember Shobana in a school uniform...
3. Are you sure Shobana doesnt die of arali vidhai?

Neel D
23rd June 2008, 08:31 PM
Plum,
Yes, Shobhana does try to eat araLi vidhai. I did not think it was important to the story. So, I left it out. On an April fool's day Pandiyan tells her that he is already married. She believes that it is true and tries to eat araLi vidhai. But Pandiyan stops her from swallowing it. Later when Sulakshana stops their wedding Shobhana thinks about this incident and wonders if Pandiyan was actually telling the truth on April fool's day.

Other than that, there is no kabaddi in this film. Shobhana does not go to school. Shobhana does not die.

Neel D
24th June 2008, 03:30 AM
Pick #651

Song: maruthANiyA iva maharANiyA
Singers: Uma Ramanan, S.P.Shailaja

Today's pick is the heroine introduction song picturized on Shobhana and her friends, singing and dancing in the picturesque countryside.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/maruthaniya.rm

aanaa
24th June 2008, 08:24 PM
Pick #650

Today's pick is dedicated to the memory of actor Pandiyan.

thank you for the news about Pandian ( Revathy also )

Shakthiprabha.
24th June 2008, 09:05 PM
Rare picks!

(velakku vecha.. okei)

'maruthaaniya thaan iva maharaniya'

Ican recollect to remember maruthaniya iva maharaaniya, often heard in vividh bharathi :redjump:

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/maruthaniya.rm

Song is captivating for uma ramanan's unique voice!

:ty:

This movie is worth watching for young beautiful shobhana!

Neel D
25th June 2008, 02:20 AM
aanaa & Shakthiprabha, you are welcome.

Neel D
25th June 2008, 02:22 AM
Pick #652

Song: nAn manjcaLukku nAththu
Singers: S.Janaki, Gangai Amaran

Another nice rustic song from Maruthaani. Today's pick was picturized on two extras who sing and dance in the bus in which Pandiyan is traveling from Chennai to the village, at the beginning of the film. Meenatchi Paatti also travels in the same bus. If you have not figured yet, this week I will be featuring all songs from Maruthaani. By the end of the week hope you feel like you have watched the film yourself, if you haven't before. :)

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/nan_manjcalukku.rm

Meerakrishna
25th June 2008, 10:29 PM
Nice song, I like GA compositions and thanks to SJ for beautiful laugh at the end of the song, thanks Neel.

Recently I heard 'Andipatti Mariyatta Pondatti' song from Pottukkal Pottade' movie, very funny song by SJ and GA.

Regards
Meerakrishna

Neel D
26th June 2008, 01:51 AM
Meerakrishna, you are welcome.

Neel D
26th June 2008, 01:53 AM
Pick #653

Song: thottil kiLi thUnggadi

Nice solo by PS. Today's pick was picturized on Sulakshana. After Pandiyan's wedding to Shobhana is stopped and Sulakshana moves in with him, one day Sulakshana leaves the baby unattended and goes out to get milk for the baby. Pandiyan had just had a fight with the village thugs for insulting him, got beaten up and is resting. The baby knocks down a kerosene lamp and the baby's sheets catch on fire. The flame rises and catches Pandiyan's attention. He saves the baby and puts out the fire. Sulakshana returns home at this time. Pandiyan yells at her for her carelessness. Saddened Sulakshana sings today's pick.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/thottil_kili.rm

rajeshkrv
26th June 2008, 09:48 AM
Nice Song . Thanks Neel

Neel D
26th June 2008, 10:36 PM
rajeshkrv, you are welcome.

Neel D
26th June 2008, 10:39 PM
Pick #654

Song: machchAnukku machcham
Singers: P.Susheela, Gangai Amaran

Today's pick is a fun song dream sequence for Pandiyan and Shobhana right after S.S.Chandran agrees to have them married. The song sequence is like a tribal festival. This song completes the "five songs" formula. nAn manjcaLukku opens the film. maruthANiyA is heroine introduction. veLakku vechcha is the hero and heroine falling in love. machchAnukku is a fun song with sets, group dancers and costumes. thottil kiLi is when the sadness hits.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/machchanukku.rm

Neel D
29th June 2008, 05:12 AM
Pick #655

Song: kaRpA athu
Film: Megam Karuththirukku
Music: Manoj-Gyan
Singer: K.S.Chitra
Lyrics: Vairamuthu

"Megam Karuththirukku" directed by Rama.Narayanan starring Prabhu, Rekha, Madhuri, Raghuvaran and others was a hit film. Rekha is the daughter of a wealthy farmer Kallapetti Singaram. Living in a hostel she goes to college in a city. She is obsessed with external beauty, skin color and modernity. She is in love with the light skinned and modern city guy Raghuvaran. When Singaram finds out about the love affair he takes Rekha back to their village and has her forcefully married to the dark skinned good-hearted country man Prabhu.

Raghuvaran is a cheat who goes around marrying one woman after another, taking the dowry, forcing them into prostitution or deserting them. Madhuri is one of his victims. After being forced into prostitution by Raghuvaran she separates from him but continues to be a prostitute in order to pay back the loans her father took for her wedding. Today's pick was picturized on Madhuri.

Rekha and Prabhu do not get along. Rekha treats him like a servant. One day she takes a job in a city and leaves him. She stays in a hostel and goes to work. Prabhu then starts working as a watchman at the hostel so he can be near his wife and hopes that she will have a change of heart. Kovai Sarala also stays at the hostel and she likes Prabhu very much. Of course she does not know that he is married. Kovai Sarala's line "endra karuppu raasaa!" was quite popular.

Rekha continues to see Raghuvaran. Madhuri lives next door to the hostel and finds out about Raghuvaran and Rekha's affair. She tries to break them up to protect Rekha. Things happen and finally Rekha has a change of heart and unites with Prabhu.

Other songs in the film:
azagAna puLLi mAnE - KJY
azagil sokkAtha ANgaLA - KSC
vadugapatti ayyAththurai - MV
adi ammA rAkkAyi azagai pArungga - MV,SPS

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/karpa_athu.rm

aanaa
29th June 2008, 06:43 PM
really a nice pick

baroque
1st July 2008, 03:13 AM

Neel D
1st July 2008, 07:33 AM
aanaa, thank you.

Neel D
1st July 2008, 07:35 AM
Pick #656

Song: ulagam siRithu
Film: Perappillai
Music: V.Kumar
Singers: T.M.Sounderarajan, P.Susheela

Lovely duet with a light Hindustani touch. The song flows so gently. No details available on the film.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/ulagam_sirithu.rm

rajeshkrv
1st July 2008, 11:35 PM
Nice Song Neel
thanks for the rare gem

PS was too good!!

tfmlover
2nd July 2008, 02:58 AM
ulagam siridhu.... aridhu :)
our NeelDJ's effort simply incredible !
thanks a million dear
regards

sss
2nd July 2008, 06:38 AM
ulagam siridhu is very very rare master piece... Thanks for your dedicated effort... keep it up!!!

Neel D
3rd July 2008, 08:05 AM
rajeshkrv, tfmlover & sss, you are welcome. Thanks for the kind words.

Neel D
3rd July 2008, 08:06 AM
Pick #657

Song: mAlaiyil pUththa malligai
Film: Engamma Maharani
Singers: S.P.Balasubramanyam, Vani Jairam
Year: 1981

"Engamma Maharani" was, apparently, directed by M.A.Kaja and starred Delhi Ganesh, Sumithra, Roopa and others. Have not seen this film. Today's pick was quite popular in its days. A breezy duet by S-G in the beautiful voices of VJ and SPB.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/malaiyil_puththa.rm

rajeshkrv
3rd July 2008, 10:15 AM
engamma maharani is a story of a nice couple delhi ganesh-sumithra. Delhi ganesh then goes in wrong path and falls for Y.Vijaya and leaves sumithra. Roopa who is the elder daughter tries to re-unite the parents but in the end sumithra dies and delhi ganesh reforms..

story was good but direction was pathetic.

this song is a good one .. thanks neel

gingerbeehk
3rd July 2008, 10:42 AM
One of the best duet sung by SPB & VJ. Thanks for the song.

Jack

SN23
3rd July 2008, 02:50 PM
Hi Neel: Is not "Ulagam siridhu" from Jaishankar & Bharathi starrer movie "Unakkum Enakkum"? Pls check.

Anyway, very nice song you have hosted. Lucky we are to hear and enjoy :-)

madhu
4th July 2008, 03:50 AM
Hi SN23..

enakku kooda konjam conpeesan :mrgreen:
indha song nAn pArtha Edho film-la vantha ninaivu.. but "pErapiLLai" nichayamA naan paRkala..

"unakkum enakkum" ?

andha "patteduthu virikkavA". "nAn ennum agandhai koNda ANkulam" ... indha songs vara padamA ?

koyappamthaan :grin:

SN23
4th July 2008, 08:33 AM
Madhu: I am not very sure about these two songs. But I am very sure that Bharati acted in single piece swim suit in that song :-) I saw in a video collection CD. Real kalakkal song. NS.Maniam had directed the movie, whose favorite pair is Jai and Bharati.

BTW, we cannot trust the displays in the CD song sequences.

madhu
4th July 2008, 04:55 PM
Hi SN23..

yes ! Bharathi acted in swimsuit in that film..

thimir pidicha rich girl-ai Jai kalyANam senju adakkum taming the shrew story-thAn..

nAn sonna reNdu song-um romba popular aachE.. :P

"adi sungidi sEla.. engadi pOnE.. oNNum kodukkAmE...
adi dingiri dippAn sangadhi ellAm solli mudikkAmE.."

appdinnu pramAdhamAna lyrics :mrgreen:

baroque
5th July 2008, 12:35 AM
:bluejump: :redjump: :musicsmile:

My favorite 80's composition.

dreamy composition maalaiyil.....!

Neel & SK! You boys rule!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

:ty: :ty: :ty:

I am running around with Vani & her men whole day. adhudhaan yennoda aasai... :swinghead:

Vinatha.

Neel D
6th July 2008, 09:21 AM
rajeshkrv, you are welcome. Thanks for the plot.
Jack, you are welcome.
SN23 & madhu, thanks. Now I am not sure about the film either. Thanks to you I am confused as well. :confused2:

Neel D
6th July 2008, 09:22 AM
Pick #658

Song: ichchenRu ichchenRu
Film: Enakku Naane Neethipathi
Singers: S.Janaki, K.J.Yesudas
Year: 1986

I only vaguely remember the title "Enakku Naane Neethipathi". The film apparently was directed by S.A.Chandrasekar and starred Vijayakant and Lakshmi in the lead. I cannot recall listening to today's pick ever before.

Wonder what other SAC films IR worked on?

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/ichchenru.rm

tvsankar
6th July 2008, 11:07 AM
Dear Neel,
Thanks for the IR song.

Azhagu malar ada Beat ai ninaivu paduthum.
But happy mood.... Tats IR.

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

Meerakrishna
6th July 2008, 04:11 PM
Nice Song, thanks to Neel and Priya.

This song Reminds me "aLagumalarAda" song.

regards
Meerakrishna

raagadevan
6th July 2008, 06:55 PM
Another KJY song that I haven't heard before; and a good one too!!! Thank you Priya and Neel:)

arunprasad
6th July 2008, 10:24 PM
Another good song in the movie is "thiruda thiruda thiruda, en manadhai thirudum thiruda" sung by S. Janaki. SJ's naughty and youthful tone makes the song, a romantic melody.
The film starred Jeevitha as the lead. She also starred with Vijaykanth in Naane raja naane manthiri along with Radhika.
I dont think Lakshmi starred in the movie E.N.Neethipathi

baroque
8th July 2008, 08:39 AM
:bluejump: :redjump: :bluejump: :redjump: :ty:

Neel D
8th July 2008, 09:58 PM
Usha, Meerakrishna, raagadevan & baroque, you are welcome.
arunprasad, thanks for the details.

Neel D
8th July 2008, 10:01 PM
Pick #659

Song: ippOthenna thEvai
Film: Makkal Aatchi
Singer: Lekha(?) or Devi(?)
Year: 1995

I heard this song for the first time only a few days ago. I have to confess that I am not very familiar with songs from the 90s and later, including popular songs. Listening to this song brings mixed feelings. It certainly is unique in its arrangement and in the use of an unfamiliar voice. But there are some aspects of the song that I find to be working against it.

First, the loud drum beats in the pallavi, to me, is a big turnoff. It is so annoying that if I had not made an effort to tolerate it and keep listening I would have missed the beauty of the charanam. The drums are muffled in the charanams and it lets the other instruments and the voice come to the fore. However, the interlude before the second charanam is beautiful and the drums here work so well.

The lyrics of the pallavi is the second aspect that works against the song... ippOthenna thEvai thappA enna pArvai... nothing attracts me here. The lyrics do get somewhat better in the charanams.

The third aspect that works against the song is the rendition. Don't get me wrong. The singer is good and her pronunciation is good. But the voice lacks in confidence. It is a common thing with many new singers during their initial songs. It usually takes few songs to several songs for a singer to mature and blossom into a confident playback singer. I know, and so do you, that I am biased when I say this. :) But I can't help but think how a singer like Vani Jairam with her confident voice would have absolutely nailed a song like this. Or, a singer like Uma Ramanan would have added a unique confidence blended with vulnerability.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/ippothenna.rm

tvsankar
9th July 2008, 01:15 AM
Dear Neel and Priya,
My thanks to this Great song. Yes its great to me.
TV il , apodhu dhan tamil cinema virkaga trailor show vara arambitha pudhidhu...

Indha paatai sila seconds ketttu , full song ketka asai pattu
irukiren.

Padathin peyar marandhu vitta karanathal, ithanai
varudangalaga thedi kondaeeeeeeeeee iurkiren.
Ungal punniyathil padam perum theirndhu konden. Paataiyum
kettu vitten.

Indha padalukana scene il Actress Lakshmi's daughter
Aishwarya varuvadha ninaivu....

Anyway Thanks for the film name and the nice song.
(kashta pattu kidaikkum edhuvum nice dhanae..)

Thank you once again priya and Neel....

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

app_engine
9th July 2008, 01:37 AM
>>Wonder what other SAC films IR worked on? <<

There is this Rajini / Bhagyaraj starrer - nAn sigappu manidhan. It had 'veN mEgham' & 'pon mAnE, sangeetham pAda vA' and also the 'Gandhi dhEsamE'

rajutvs
9th July 2008, 02:00 AM
Singer is Chithra for this song..

arunprasad
9th July 2008, 04:59 AM
[quote="Neel D"]Pick #658

Wonder what other SAC films IR worked on?

- Their association goes a long way .
SAC's first film was durga devi and IR scored the music. This was within the first 10 films of IR.

Another film was 'idhu engal needhi' - of course, needhi is a must in all the titles. Radhika, Ramki, Raja were past of the cast. Vijay appeared as an adolescent boy with pimples ( and he dies). A hit number was 'padithen padithen pallikoodam, idhu dhan idhu dhan kadhal padam' a duet picturised on Ramki & Vani viswanath

Plum
9th July 2008, 10:42 AM
"...vijay acts as adolescent...."
That is a good snippet but whats even more delicious about this snippet is that, I think, Hritik Roshan acted Vijay's role in the hindi remake of that movie:-)

arunprasad
10th July 2008, 12:14 PM
Whats the name of the movie plum? Who acted in it? Its surprising to know that such a stupid movie was remade into Hindi

thumburu
10th July 2008, 02:02 PM
"ippodhenna thevai" , I can sense an "Amruthavarshini" scale in this intricate composition of Raja. As usual , a knock out prelude which no MD can even come c.lose

Neel D
10th July 2008, 06:01 PM
Usha, you are welcome.
app_engine, arunprasad, Plum and thumburu, thanks.
rajutvs, I doubt it.

Neel D
10th July 2008, 06:03 PM
Pick #660

Song: mAmAmadhuraiyil pArththEn
Film: Vaa Arugil Vaa
Music: Chanakya
Singers: S.Janaki, K.J.Yesudas

Based on the information at cinesouth "Vaa Arugil Vaa" starred Raja(Kadalora Kavithaigal) and Vaishnavi(Sowcar Janaki's granddaughter). Directed by Kalaivanan Kannadasan. Music is credited to a Chanakya. Never heard of that name before.

Thanks to Priya for sending this song.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/manamadhuraiyil.rm

madhu
10th July 2008, 09:33 PM
I think "vaa arugil vaa" is the tamil version of "child's play"

innoru heroine ramya krishnan.

marumagal vaishnaviyai kolai seyyum in-laws-ai eppadi avaL vaithirukkum bommaikkuL avaL aavi pugundhu :boo: pazhi vAnguradhu enbadhudhAn kadhai..

enakku ninaivil irukkum innoru SJ song.. "enna vEdhanai enna sOdhanai indha vELaiyilE.. :( "

Neel D
13th July 2008, 08:45 AM
Y'all,
As you may have noticed all songs hosted last week were contribution from Priya. There will be more of Priya's contributions in the upcoming weeks. Many thanks to her and please all convey your thanks to her too.

madhu,
Thanks for the details.

Neel D
13th July 2008, 08:47 AM
Pick #661

Song: oru malligai panthalum
Film: Mangalyam Thanthunane
Music: Deva
Singers: K.S.Chitra and ?

Another song I have never heard before and a film I have never heard of. The film apparently starred K.Prabhakar and Vaishnavi. Is the male singer Krishnachandar? The pallavi reminds me of some religious chant.

Thanks to Priya for sending this song.

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow07/oru_malligai.rm

RR
14th July 2008, 07:42 AM
Neel & Priya,

Rare sweet songs :clap: