PDA

View Full Version : Weird batsmen, batting styles

Movie Cop
13th February 2009, 12:20 AM
Now that we have a topic to discuss and make fun of bowlers with weird bowling actions - it is time for us to make fun od their batting counterparts! :yes: So, please share your views on batsmen with weird batting techinques, stance etc. :mrgreen:

ajithfederer
13th February 2009, 12:22 AM
MS Dhoni :boo:

Movie Cop
13th February 2009, 12:28 AM
[tscii:2cf58ce820]Ijaz Ahmed! :lol2:

Ijaz right from his debut had a weird batting stance. He had a very bottom handed grip and was a very powerful player of cut and pull shots! He almost came perilously close to have the cricket governing body think of a new mode of dismissal called BBW – (Butt before the wicket that is). :rotfl:

He had a stance where his butt was right in front of his bat & pad and also was pointing towards the cover field position… It’s amazing that in spite of having his stance pointing towards cover he was predominatly strong on the leg side!
[/tscii:2cf58ce820]

Movie Cop
13th February 2009, 12:33 AM
MS Dhoni :boo:
MS Dhoni's batting has convinced me enough that he could be a very good wood cutter! :lol2: There is literally no foot work what so ever in his batting. And its amazing that he plays tennis, badmintion and also a bit of wood cutting while at the crease! Multi-dimensional talent that is! :rotfl: Sometimes, while batting, he looks like a fielder who has the ability to throw a ball deep into the field or high up in the air with a bat instead of his hands! :rotfl2:

ajithfederer
13th February 2009, 12:38 AM
Talking about no footwork, Shewag comes to mind but he is a monster run making machine these days. 8-)

Movie Cop
13th February 2009, 12:46 AM
Krishnamachari "Mookurunji" Sreegaandh! :rotfl: :rotfl2:

Sreegandh's batting has always been a sight for the purists (albeit for wrong reasons though :lol2:)!
Vayakaatulle naathu naduravanga maadhri - Sreegandh will widen his feet while batting! :lol: Yaaraiyo kannathulle palaar palaar-nu araiyura maadhiri bowlers ball release panna udana pandhe palaar palaar-nu araivaaru! :lol2:

Movie Cop
13th February 2009, 12:48 AM
Talking about no footwork, Shewag comes to mind but he is a monster run making machine these days. 8-)
Though Sehwag has no footwork and could be a "off side" bunny for quality fast bowlers - his batting doesn't look as elegant/stylish/sophisticated ( :lol2:) as "Anja Nejan", "Singakutty", Super Star Dhoni! :lol:

ajithfederer
13th February 2009, 12:48 AM
Lance Klusener will be my most favorite South African batsman. His high arm batting stance personifies sheer bruteness and agression. His debut from Mid 90's until late 90's and early 2000's. Glorious times

:notworthy:

Movie Cop
13th February 2009, 12:53 AM
I always noticed none of the SA batsmen (including Kallis) have a elegance/gracefulness in their batting! they look like pre=pgrogrammed run machines tuned on once they pop into the crease! :sigh2:

Hashim Amla comes as a whiff of fresh air for SA with his graceful/elegant batting! Hope he has a long career ahead of him! 8-)

Same goes with majority of Aussie batsmen as well except for Mark Waugh whose batting was sheer potery and a sight to behold! :smokesmirk:

Movie Cop
13th February 2009, 12:55 AM
sorry for digressing on "graceful" batting! :oops: Back to our fun topic! :noteeth:

Movie Cop
13th February 2009, 01:04 AM
Mohd. Azharuddin, who to me is one among the most elegant batsmen of our times, had a weird batting technique from '84 through '86... It was post '86 english summer where he corrected his footwork to become one of the graceful, wrsity batsmen! 8-)

In that ugly (albeit successful) '84-'86 era of Azhar - we saw Azhar jumping awkwardly at the crease so much that he would, more often than not, be in the air while striking the ball! :rotfl:

He was one batsmen who did skipping with a cricket bat instead of a skipping rope! :rotfl2:

Nerd
13th February 2009, 01:09 AM
1. Ganguly - I don't know which is uglier, Ganguly's pulls/hooks or Dhoni's drives(?). Compare that with:
-Lara's leg side shots
-Ganguly's off-side genius.
2. Sattithalayan Pravin Amre - Avaru out aayittu pOna crease-la rendu adikku paLLam irukkum. andha kuthu kuthuvaapla
3. Doug Marillier - Saansless. Unimitable/unmatchable shots.

omega
13th February 2009, 01:15 AM
Vinodh Kambli - Would have completed one twist dance, before the ball reaches him, from bowlers arm. Shufflena shuffle, apdiyoru shuffle.

Other guy is Raman Lamba (Cricketkkukkahave uyira vittavaru), who could come close to Vinodh Kambli.

omega
13th February 2009, 01:22 AM
Krishnamachari "Mookurunji" Sreegaandh! :rotfl: :rotfl2:

:lol: Often bowler & even the non-striker would have to search for him, after connecting a ball (palaar), as he would be somewhere around the leg umpire area, swirling his bat (mookurinjufying) !!!

omega
13th February 2009, 01:25 AM
Miandad, was another scratchy starter, who would make batting look horrible (only at the start of the innings though). His stance & the tricks that he uses to confuse umpires (expecially if he gets hit below knee roll).

ajithfederer
13th February 2009, 01:39 AM
What abt Shiva narayanan sanderpaul marking his crease with bails!!! :lol:

Movie Cop
13th February 2009, 01:42 AM
Sattithalayan Pravin Amre - Avaru out aayittu pOna crease-la rendu adikku paLLam irukkum. andha kuthu kuthuvaapla

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Movie Cop
13th February 2009, 01:52 AM
What abt Shiva narayanan sanderpaul marking his crease with bails!!! :lol:
Siva Narayana Sandhira Balan has one of the ugliest batting stance that one could ever imagine! If he would have played the famous chennai street cricket he would have often heard bowler/thrower often yelling "O***... Vazhi vidu... stump-uhh maraikadha" :lol2: His batting stance is pretty shabby, he almost faces the square leg umpire... His strokes are even more crappy! :banghead: I would anytime prefer watching a Mark Waugh's 20 versus Sandhira Balan's century! :rotfl:

When it comes to ugliest batting stance it would be a toss up between Chanderpaul & Ijaz, I guess! :lol2:

Movie Cop
13th February 2009, 01:54 AM
Indha letchanathulle, Sandhira balan-ukku NFL players maadhiri, rendu eye's keezha oru straight line "mai" vera! :lol:

ajithfederer
13th February 2009, 01:55 AM
Yeah :lol:.

Good observation :).

Indha letchanathulle, Sandhira balan-ukku NFL players maadhiri, rendu eye's keezha oru straight line "mai" vera! :lol:

Nerd
13th February 2009, 01:57 AM
Balan adikkadi *andha* edathula adi vaanguvaaru, no wonder :rotfl:

ajithfederer
13th February 2009, 02:00 AM
It would be really funny to see tail enders bat.

Once I saw courtney walsh batting. He was so out of place while batting that Gavaskar was :rotfl: in the commentary box seeing him block a half volley.

ajithfederer
13th February 2009, 02:04 AM
:lol:

Sattithalayan Pravin Amre -

Movie Cop
13th February 2009, 02:05 AM
Walsh batting - Gavaskar commentary! what a combination? superaabu! :lol:

Talking about tailenders, Muralitharan is one tailender who takes batting very, very lightly. Regardless of the match situation, Murali has always batted like a millionaire! :lol2:

omega
13th February 2009, 02:14 AM
When it comes to ugliest batting stance it would be a toss up between Chanderpaul & Ijaz, I guess! :lol2:

Ivanunga rendu perum namba team kooda nalla saathuvanunga.
No matter how out of form these two were prior they will shine with their ugly stands/shots.

Nerd
13th February 2009, 02:15 AM

Once I saw courtney walsh batting. He was so out of place while batting that Gavaskar was :rotfl: in the commentary box seeing him block a half volley.
Gavaskar-E pala dhadava adha pannirukkAru. IllainA, 36 off 60 overs-lAm epdi :lol2:

Ravi Shastri had an ugly stance i.e. bat floating in the air.

omega
13th February 2009, 02:16 AM
. Sattithalayan Pravin Amre - Avaru out aayittu pOna crease-la rendu adikku paLLam irukkum. andha kuthu kuthuvaapla

Sariyaana peru :rotfl:

Ithula ivarukku ennamo technicala romba perphectnu vera nenappu.

Movie Cop
13th February 2009, 06:36 AM

Gavaskar-E pala dhadava adha pannirukkAru. IllainA, 36 off 60 overs-lAm epdi :lol2:

Ravi Shastri had an ugly stance i.e. bat floating in the air.

This floating the bat in the air thing (a la baseball kind of stance) was all started by the English batsmen. :sigh2: Graham Gooch used to wield his bat so high in the air like a baseball batter. And several batsmen followed suite. John Wright used to have baseball-ish way of bat holding. Even Imran Khan used to keep his bat up in the air while batting though not as high as the likes off Gooch/Wright etc...

Movie Cop
13th February 2009, 06:37 AM
Balan adikkadi *andha* edathula adi vaanguvaaru, no wonder :rotfl:
:rotfl: :rotfl2:

Movie Cop
13th February 2009, 06:45 AM
Miandad, was another scratchy starter, who would make batting look horrible (only at the start of the innings though). His stance & the tricks that he uses to confuse umpires (expecially if he gets hit below knee roll).
Miandad stance was weird. And his batting though effective was not neccessarily elegant. His batting was very cheekish especially in the ODI format! There were several times (especially during the slog overs) where Miandad will be walking down the pitch while the bowler is running towards the pitch as an act to demoralize them! :lol:

On some occasions, Miandad will play a bit of "kabadi" and "kannamoochi" around his crease by leaving his stumps wide open and again coming back to the guard. "Idha comedy ellam edhukhu saar"-nu ketta, it is meant for unsettling the bowlers rthym nu oru explanation vera! Miandad crease-la irundhu kabadi villayadura scene ellam remba comedy-uhh irrukum! :lol:

steveaustin
13th February 2009, 09:47 AM
I always noticed none of the SA batsmen (including Kallis) have a elegance/gracefulness in their batting! they look like pre=pgrogrammed run machines tuned on once they pop into the crease! :sigh2:

What do you think about Gibbs (one of the very few natural strikers of the ball) in full flow, Adam Bacher and Peter Kirsten (Brother of Gary)?

steveaustin
13th February 2009, 09:50 AM
1987 reliance cup semifinal Sweep machine Graham Gooch stance (looks little weird to me) reminds me just a right handed Klusener. In fact Klusener is left handed Gooch.

steveaustin
13th February 2009, 09:50 AM
Basit Ali (Junior Mianded) of Pakistan

steveaustin
13th February 2009, 09:52 AM
IMO, Muthiah Muralitharan - Champ in both Weird batting and bowling styles. :wink:

Sanguine Sridhar
13th February 2009, 09:55 AM
Sada Ramesh! :twisted:

steveaustin
13th February 2009, 09:57 AM
Sridhar :thumbsup:
Just now I am thinking of Ramesh. You have posted. Footwork Gram enna vilai? Adhu enga kidaikkum?

steveaustin
13th February 2009, 10:03 AM

Muniyandi is a controversial cricketer. Who can forget his last ball six in Sharjah or his quarrel with Kiran More and monkey jump in 1992 World cup? Naan Kadavul-a Arya vaayile oru thadi vechuttu jump pannuvArE. Adha ellAm Muniyandi 1992 world cup-la ye vAyilE bat-ta vechu jump pannittAr.

omega
13th February 2009, 11:53 AM
Muniyandi is a controversial cricketer. Who can forget his last ball six in Sharjah or his quarrel with Kiran More and monkey jump in 1992 World cup? Naan Kadavul-a Arya vaayile oru thadi vechuttu jump pannuvArE. Adha ellAm Muniyandi 1992 world cup-la ye vAyilE bat-ta vechu jump pannittAr.

:yes: How can anyone forget the snapshot in HINDU the next day?
How about his spat with Sadananth Vishwanath (in the ODI series 1987). Yamabaathahan!!

crajkumar_be
13th February 2009, 12:28 PM
Just now I am thinking of Ramesh. You have posted. Footwork Gram enna vilai? Adhu enga kidaikkum?
yaar sonna footwork illa nu? Irukku, aana his front leg movement comes AFTER the shot :lol:

crajkumar_be
13th February 2009, 12:31 PM
[tscii:f0cc185b75]Ijaz Ahmed! :lol2:

Ijaz right from his debut had a weird batting stance. He had a very bottom handed grip and was a very powerful player of cut and pull shots! He almost came perilously close to have the cricket governing body think of a new mode of dismissal called BBW – (Butt before the wicket that is). :rotfl:

He had a stance where his butt was right in front of his bat & pad and also was pointing towards the cover field position… It’s amazing that in spite of having his stance pointing towards cover he was predominatly strong on the leg side!
[/tscii:f0cc185b75]

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

yov, over ya... tooooooooo much :rotfl:

crajkumar_be
13th February 2009, 12:32 PM
Vayakaatulle naathu naduravanga maadhri - Sreegandh will widen his feet while batting! :lol:
:lol: :rotfl2:

crajkumar_be
13th February 2009, 12:33 PM
And its amazing that he plays tennis, badmintion and also a bit of wood cutting while at the crease! Multi-dimensional talent that is! :rotfl: Sometimes, while batting, he looks like a fielder who has the ability to throw a ball deep into the field or high up in the air with a bat instead of his hands! :rotfl2:
:rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Sanguine Sridhar
13th February 2009, 12:42 PM
Actually Sadai's drives are too good. I still remember his debut match, against Pakistan. Horrible to see him as a judge for a comedy show and as an actor in Sa.Su! :(

crajkumar_be
13th February 2009, 12:45 PM
Ugliest/Blade batsmen

Ijaz Ahmed
Soundarapaal
Jack Russel
Jimmy Adams
Treskothic (many Englishmen)
Shastri
Dhoni

steveaustin
13th February 2009, 12:54 PM
In Blade batsman list, where is Geoffrey Boycott? Boycott pannitteengalA? :roll:

crajkumar_be
13th February 2009, 12:55 PM
oh yeah.. indha madhiri sila pala pera miss panniruppen.. pl point out.. and actually thats why i mentioned many English batsmen are blade

Sanguine Sridhar
13th February 2009, 12:57 PM
My father said that Arun Lal is a 7'o Clock.

steveaustin
13th February 2009, 12:57 PM
Tim Robinson - another blade from England.

steveaustin
13th February 2009, 12:58 PM
Brenden Kuruppu from Srilanka

crajkumar_be
13th February 2009, 01:00 PM
ippadi ellarum solli kaduppaana Arun Lol's revenge on civil society is his avatar as a commentator :(

crajkumar_be
13th February 2009, 01:04 PM
Nayan Mongia
Manoj Kirubakaran
Shiv Sundar Das
Sanjay Banger

crajkumar_be
13th February 2009, 01:07 PM
Sattithalayan Pravin Amre - Avaru out aayittu pOna crease-la rendu adikku paLLam irukkum. andha kuthu kuthuvaapla

:lol: :lol: We named him Sinna Kounder for his resemblance to Purathci Kalaignar.. S.A tour la oru century adichaapla..

steveaustin
13th February 2009, 01:10 PM
adhuvum Debut-la. adhuvE kadaisi-yAgavum pOnadhu.

Kalyasi
13th February 2009, 02:19 PM
Michael Divenutu
Rameez Raja
Moin Khan
Sherwin Campbell
Ridley Jacobs
Harbhajan Singh

Sanguine Sridhar
13th February 2009, 02:57 PM
ippadi ellarum solli kaduppaana Arun Lol's revenge on civil society is his avatar as a commentator :(

:lol:

Arun Lal-a TV screen-la paathaale engappa tension aagi "#$%#" -ippadilaam thittuvaaru. Adhuvum Lal edhavadhu serious-a karuthu sollum podhu, "indha paradesi eppadi aaduchunu enakku theriyadhu? idhellam mike pudichutu pesura pecha paaru" -nu solluvaaru.

littlemaster1982
13th February 2009, 05:51 PM
Walsh batting - Gavaskar commentary! what a combination? superaabu! :lol:

Talking about tailenders, Muralitharan is one tailender who takes batting very, very lightly. Regardless of the match situation, Murali has always batted like a millionaire! :lol2:

In a Sharjah ODI, Muralitharan (facing his first ball), changed his stance like left hander, trying to reverse sweep the ball. Before he could get his bat to the ball, his off stump (now leg stump) was sent cartwheeling :lol: Jayasuriya was laughing his guts off in the pavilion.

Murali, without a slightest bit of embarassment, walked back to the pavilion with his trademark smile :rotfl2:

littlemaster1982
13th February 2009, 05:53 PM

Adhu kooda paravayillai. When he was asked about his non-existent footwork, he listed some bowlers (Wasim, Waqar, Murali etc) and said "Ivanga ball ellam adikkaradhukku footwork thevai illai" :shock:

Annaikke avan rejetted list-la entry :evil:

steveaustin
13th February 2009, 08:22 PM
He reminds me the dialogue of Naan Kadavul.

Namakku vAitha adimaigal miga miga thiramaisAligal. vAi dhAn kAdhu varai irukkiradhu.

Nerd
13th February 2009, 10:46 PM
Lechumipathy Balaji?!
Anil Kumble :rotfl: rembba kastappattu adipAru, force-A, but pandhu runner-ai thANdAthu :oops:

ajithfederer
14th February 2009, 02:49 AM
:rotfl:

Anil Kumble :rotfl: rembba kastappattu adipAru, force-A, but pandhu runner-ai thANdAthu :oops:

ajithfederer
14th February 2009, 02:52 AM
:rotfl2:

Nayan Mongia
Manoj Kirubakaran
Shiv Sundar Das
Sanjay Banger