PDA

View Full Version : Danny Boyle + A. R. Rahman - Slumdog Millionaire

Nerd
24th December 2008, 09:30 AM
Surprised that no one has created a thread for exclusive discussions on this film. Wibhs, Complicateur, Feddy and others please post your reviews here. I know you guys posted it elsewhere, I am not able to locate them.

I am watching it on christmas day 8-)

Wibha
24th December 2008, 09:35 AM
:thumbsup: nerd

gonna watch it again :cool:

littlemaster1982
24th December 2008, 09:53 AM
Wibha, Nerd :evil: :twisted:

littlemaster1982
24th December 2008, 10:03 AM
[tscii:193ba49b01]Sara Vilkomerson’s Guide To This Week’s Movies: Rags to Rupees (http://www.observer.com/2008/o2/sara-vilkomerson-s-guide-week-s-movies-rags-rupees)

For those of you who are closely following the November and December horse race of potential Oscar films, don’t count out Slumdog Millionaire. It might not have a Leo or a Kate or even a Batman in it, but this latest film from Danny Boyle (of Trainspotting and 28 Days Later) is just the kind of feel-good, energetic film that will have voters feeling magnanimous come voting times. And rightly so, because Slumdog Millionaire (in spite of having a title that really does nothing for you until you’ve actually seen the movie) is very sharp, smartly executed and has just enough sneaky sentiment that reviewers will surely bust out all their clichés (“you’ll be cheering in your seats!”).

We meet our hero, Jamal Malik (Dev Patel), while he’s a contestant on the Indian version of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? And if anyone needs a strong flashback to those heady late ’90s/early aught days, just hearing the theme music will make you feel instantly nostalgic for Regis. Eighteen-year-old Jamal is an orphan, raised on the streets (a.k.a. a “Slumdog”) in poverty and unimaginable circumstances. When he starts to answer enough questions correctly to get near the big cash prize, there’s suspicion that he’s been cheating. He’s hauled off for questioning, and it’s there—with the always awesome Irfan Kahn (The Namesake) as interrogator—that we’re able to flashback through Jamal’s life and find out why it is that an uneducated kid knows all the answers. The screenplay was based on the novel Q&A by Vikas Swarup, and the clever structure might have been annoying or even felt contrived if Simon Beaufoy’s screenplay wasn’t so stylish. Jamal, it turns out, has been through an awful lot. He and his older brother, Salim, manage to escape an attack that kills their mother, only to be left starving and on their own. But they join up with another, a little girl named Latika, and dub themselves the The Three Musketeers. More trials and triumphs follow, none that we’ll spoil. Suffice it to say that there are many surprises—and horrors—in the movie, but there’s a lot of sweetness, too: This whole slick package is wrapped around an unabashed love story. The actors are all pretty good—most amazing are the little kids that portray young Jamal, Salim and Latika and the performances Mr. Boyle was able to coax out of them. Clearly, the director had some sort of spiritual awakening in India, or at least a love affair with the landscape. Even when shooting scenes of dirt and misery, he can’t help but still make India look beautiful, and full of color. Also, the musical score is kind of genius, even though we could stand not to have another movie that features MIA’s “Paper Planes.” (Though yes, it works great here, and if we had to choose between it being in this one or Pineapple Express, Slumdog would win hands down. Also, a famous film critic was dancing in their seat in front of us.) Lastly, judging from this film’s conclusion, we’d like to request that all movies end from now on with a giant dance number.[/tscii:193ba49b01]

ajaybaskar
24th December 2008, 11:10 AM
Terrific. Thanx for posting,LM.

Nerd
26th December 2008, 09:27 AM
This is the second film this year which has surpassed its hype. What stunned me today was the visuals. Spectacular. 10/10 on the technical front. Breathless editing, superb cinematography and terrific BGM. First half was India's version of City of God and I wish Danny makes a whole movie on the Bombay slums. The depiction of slums was hard-hitting and had a greater impact in me than Salaam Bombay.

I thought only Mausam and Escape did not fit the mood of its scene. Apart from that the score was mindblowing, definitely a frontrunner for the oscars. O Saya video was excellent.

The characterizations were brilliant. Screenplay by Simon Beaufoy was riveting, the narrative style was very clear and convincing. Just perfect. Except the eldest of the Salims everybody else did very well in the acting front. The youngest of Jamals is the best actor by a mile. I read a few people criticizing Anil Kapoor but he has done very well. Dialogues were terse and to the point. And Danny Boyle is evident in each and every frame :thumbsup:

Did not like Jai Ho. It comes after the movie gets over and all that, but IMO it just dilutes the poignancy of the situation. Actually I did not feel it that way, one of my friends (non-Indian) said so. I was inclined to agree with that opinion. But apart from us, everybody else liked the song and the dance. Standing ovation for the movie, only the second movie to get that feet this year.

Have not seen many movies this year, but slumdog is a frontrunner for
1. Best Director
2. Best adapted screenplay
3. Best Original Score
4. Best Picture

littlemaster1982
26th December 2008, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the review Nerd. Can't wait to watch. Now that the screener is out :|

crajkumar_be
26th December 2008, 11:26 AM
A negative review...

http://englishtamil.blogspot.com/2008/12/slumdog-millionaire.html

This movie is so full of it. The teenage kids can't act, the stereotypes are beaten to death and the juxtapositions are ridiculous. Life in the slums could not have been exaggerated, romanticized and yet contradicted into a weird concoction worse than this movie has.

The only way to watch the movie is to not take it seriously (as Boyle does sporadically); even though it deals with communal riots, child abuse, gangsters, sexual violence, poverty, social prejudice etc. After all, it dares to break into a self-mocking song and dance in the end of it all. "Hey, they are just celebrating the spirit of the youth and the triumph of the underdog! Just chill, will ya?" Sure.

I wonder what people like Mira Nair (Salaam Bombay) and Dev Benegal (Split Wide Open) have to say about this clueless caricature that deals with topics that are too many even for a quiz-game show.

PS. I liked the background score, though.

thilak4life
26th December 2008, 12:23 PM
ethir partha mathiri oru response. With the plot, and somewhat pompous title "Slumdog millionaire", one should know better. Ever since the announcement, it reeked of this comparison to SB in its sensuality (or lack thereof) or to City of God in its technique. Parppom...

A negative review...

http://englishtamil.blogspot.com/2008/12/slumdog-millionaire.html

This movie is so full of it. The teenage kids can't act, the stereotypes are beaten to death and the juxtapositions are ridiculous. Life in the slums could not have been exaggerated, romanticized and yet contradicted into a weird concoction worse than this movie has.

The only way to watch the movie is to not take it seriously (as Boyle does sporadically); even though it deals with communal riots, child abuse, gangsters, sexual violence, poverty, social prejudice etc. After all, it dares to break into a self-mocking song and dance in the end of it all. "Hey, they are just celebrating the spirit of the youth and the triumph of the underdog! Just chill, will ya?" Sure.

I wonder what people like Mira Nair (Salaam Bombay) and Dev Benegal (Split Wide Open) have to say about this clueless caricature that deals with topics that are too many even for a quiz-game show.

PS. I liked the background score, though.

complicateur
26th December 2008, 01:56 PM
Just had the pleasure of catching Slumdog Millionaire and hearing Rahman's background score in all its detail on my headphones. Its rich and textured and does full justice to Danny Boyle's vision of the incredibly chaotic but irrationally compassionate country we call home. It has great string work be it the Santoor or guitar (I thought I heard some VeeNa in some paces but cant be sure). As always there is great percussive work to depict the cadence of the overflowing populace and the best work is reserved for chase sequences. The BGM use is sparing but what is used is apt and augments the visuals very well.

Coming to Slumdog, I actually caught it on an Oscar Screener DVD fromthe studio (perks of having a roommate in the entertainment business). Its biggest draw will be the completely international cast and the exoticism of shooting in India. I think Danny Boyle does great justice to the pulse of Mumbai, while still glorifying its poverty as is to be expected. It should be up for Best adapted screenplay and best movie definitely.
The performances I am not sure, though personally I loved Saurabh Shukla. He is awesome and I was a little upset he didnt get separate title credits. Irrfan is good as is Anil Kapoor, but the performances are all very deliberate. I would be surprised if anyone got a peformance nomination, but its gathering a lot of steam in the press so its anyone's guess. ARR might be up for musical score or at least best number from a movie. It would be awesome to see Rahman and MIA perform on Oscar night in the Kodak.

Nerd
26th December 2008, 07:54 PM
Comparisons with SB is inevitable. Mira Nair had about 130 minutes at her disposal and she did accomplish her task very well. OTOH, Boyle had to pack so many different things on his film. Slums was just part of the storyline. It's more of city of God meets Salaam Bombay IMO. Thanks to the technology, SM is more suave. Agree with the EnglishTamil guy on the acting to a certain extent. Except Dev Patel, everybody else had less than 5 scenes I think, so it really did not matter.

The title is cheesy, yes but thankfully it was not what I thought it would be :P

directhit
27th December 2008, 09:01 PM
the score was mindblowing, definitely a frontrunner for the oscars. :smokesmirk: when the title read Music Composed and Produced by A R Rahman it was 8-) 8-)

The youngest of Jamals is the best actor by a mile. :exactly:

Thanks for the review Nerd. Can't wait to watch. Now that the screener is out :| wait pannalaama :ashamed: :P

littlemaster1982
28th December 2008, 02:58 PM
[tscii:90d6e6a844]Passion for Cinema (http://passionforcinema.com/slumdog-millionaire-2008/)

A young boy wearing a green t-shirt runs and delivers ball to a batsman. The batsman hits it high while the bowler screams,”Jamaal, catch it”. Dumbfounded Jamaal (Ayush Mahesh Khedekar) looks up in the sky and starts running at the end of flying ball’s trajectory to catch it and suddenly a plane flies too close and shocked Jamaal falls. This is when we see that this game of cricket is being held on an airstrip and two cops drive on two-wheeler mopeds with sticks in their hands to runs these slumdogs away. A.R. Rahman uses his vocals to sing an Aaalaap to a fast paced symphony that matches the steps of running boys and Danny Boyle’s fast cuts filmed from unusual angle. This is nothing but a terrific start to one of the fascinating movies of 2008, ‘Slumdog Millionaire’.

This is a tale of Jamaal (Dev Patel) answering questions of the popular game show to become a millionaire. But he is surprised and horrified to find questions flashing his own life. This life gave him unforgettable moments and those moments become answers on his way to a million rupees. Really unforgettable? Yes.

With a surprise of silence to the tune of Brian Eno’s The Ascent in a zombie movie, 28 Days Later (2002), approaching sun’s reflection on aviator sunglasses of an obsessed crew member of Icarus, Sunshine (2007), or the camode dive of a heroine addict, Trainspotting (1996), Danny Boyle always brings images and moods quite unique and extraordinary. Slumdog Millionaire is no exception. This time rather he takes his skills even farther. No doubt there is a great help from Simon Beaufoy’s marvellous screenplay to Swarup Kumar’s novel ‘Q & A’. But Danny’s vision to put viewer in first person’s point of view is unparalleled and admittedly this is the reason this movie stands out. He should hope for an Academy nod.

Next credit is to actors Ayush Khedekar, Tanay Chheda (Middle Jamaal) and Dev Patel (Jamaal). These guys are fearless. They can ‘jump in a dump’, hang upside down from a train or sit and answer ‘Millionaire’ questions ferociously. Although Dev Patel has the longest screen time and will get nominated in several film festivals, Ayush and Tanay are remarkable and memorable. I wonder what Danny Boyle must have felt when he saw their expressions through the lense. So were the performances by Azharuddin Ismail, Ashutosh Gajiwala and Madhur Mittal as rightful and wrongful father figures, Salim, to Jamaal. Freida Pinto as Latika could be a very simple and shy girl but gives enough reason to Jamaal and us to her undoubted beauty. Irfan Khan, a cop, wants to know the truth. Short appearance maybe but as Jamaal spells the truth out to him he could very well give the expression of realization. Anil Kapoor as the game show host is a surprise character twist to Mr Bachchan’s Kaun Banega Crorepati. There perhaps is no bad performance in this 120 min drama.

Other mentionable additions are cinematographer Anthony Mantle and editor Chris Dickens. This movie is a stunning experience in cinema watching. The main requirement to every answer to the game show questions is an unforgettable moment in Jamaal’s life. Not only the writers have come up with those lines but Danny has shown images which anybody in Jamaal’s shoes would never forget. This is a must see.

Rating: 9.5/10

[/tscii:90d6e6a844]

littlemaster1982
28th December 2008, 02:59 PM
[tscii:9bfddb4b83]Slumdog Millionaire – Review (http://passionforcinema.com/slumdog-millionaire-%e2%80%93-review/)

To what lengths would you go to get an autograph from a superstar actor? What all would you be willing to jump to get close, very close – in you face close – to a star that has sold you dream after dream after dream all your life? Jump from a chopper! Fly your family from Bay Area to Chicago and pay tons of money? Swim through a sewer??? Nah… the mentioned tasks are too easy if the superstar in question is Amitabh Bachchan. And Ladies and gentleman, of all the directors who have in some form or the other paid tribute to the Greatest Star of the Millennium – let me declare – Danny Boyle topped all of them and beat them with none even close! And that’s just one shot in Slumdog Millionaire.

Danny Boyle’s (Train spotting) latest is a story around how a boy born in the slums of Bombay win’s his love riding on the back on his experiences from his growing-up days to answer 15 questions and convince an overworked cop that he is not cheating on the show. Nothing more to it! If you let go of the initial adrenaline of being the fortunate few to watch the film in one of the most liberal places in the world where for large diasporas, India signifies freedom and a place to find solace and happiness, then you will walk out feeling very full at the treat dished out to you.

The movie is cinematic, right from the word go, and that in itself is an achievement worth bowing to for a director born in a different land. Mumbai does not exist in the film – it’s all Bombay. And a Bombay that you would have probably never seen before. The amazing interweave of colorful and lively people and the corresponding contrast of the slums makes you believe that that characters and as a natural extension, the people, are oblivious to the inhuman conditions that surround them. A mix and match of rugged goons, docile orphans, street smart kids and IndYEAH eyed foreign tourists makes Slumdog a movie full of surprises at every turn of the plot, a plot that covers every aspect of what this great city offers – religious wars, cosmetic ill-treatments, power-struggles, showmanship’s, dream-sellers, rag’s to riches poster boys, mafia don’s, super-model prostitutes, trigger-happy teens and fearless humanists. And to point out very strongly here – Boyle does not fall into the trap of Indian Sentimentality even though he does get into the mind of an avg Indian Raju very well.

There is just too much of good work in the movie to talk about film – AR Rahman’s back-ground score, just the way he makes you tap your feet to the unfolding visuals and not be conscious about it at all, Irrfan Khan with his characteristic non-acting acting expressions, Saurabh Shukla as the overweight short-circuited hawaldar, Mahesh Manjrekar as the Mumbai ka Don, Dev Patel as the Lover-boy and Anil Kapoor as the evil & condescending host of “Who want’s to be a Millionaire” – that they gel so well with the characters that the viewer is just mesmerized all through to notice flaws if any. And for an Indian watching a film based on India and be very comfortable is the highest grade you can give to any alien director. Especially the guts and the ease to show the bitter truths of real India without making a mockery. And especially to show how horrible Taj-Mahal actually looks in broad daylight and how horrendously dirty its surroundings are.

To review a movie like this, you need lofty words, words that justify the effort and the pains labored into making a film like this – touted as the costliest film made in India - a one man’s vision. The setting and the breaking-news type of screenplay make it a riveting watch with no moments to pause. Yes the lead pair looks a little dull in spots and the English dialogues don’t sound too plausible at some special weighted scenes but considering that the movie was primarily packaged to cater to the west’s sensibilities of how to view India – Danny Boyle has set a bar that will be very difficult to beat.

But if there is one winner to drive this movie to the very brink of Oscar’s – that’s BOMBAY! Slumdog is a movie where you will see the city like you have NEVER EVER seen before. It’s like prose from Lin Baba’s eyes from Shantaram turning to Poetry and Rangoli all at the same time. The sadness, the apathy of the residents, the acrimonious nature of the harsh truth’s of life, the relentless mockery of life towards the under-privileged and the gifted alike, just blown to insignificant particles before the power that the city is – and the way it was all captured by Anthony Dod through his camerawork or more rightly cameras work - is nothing short of pure chilling genius. Bombay never looked so right before… all the reams of paper eulogizing it have found the right visuals now, hence allowed to settle in comfort of obscurity. Slumdog Millionaire will carry the baton for a significant time from now. [/tscii:9bfddb4b83]

Nerd
29th December 2008, 09:41 AM
:smokesmirk: when the title read Music Composed and Produced by A R Rahman it was 8-) 8-)

thiruttu VCD-la pAthuttu idhu vERaya :twisted: :twisted:

Had to watch one more time yesterday. Was not boring at all :clap:

Wibha
29th December 2008, 10:31 AM
DH are you gonna watch it in the theater? :huh: :evil:

directhit
29th December 2008, 11:08 AM
:smokesmirk: when the title read Music Composed and Produced by A R Rahman it was 8-) 8-)

thiruttu VCD-la pAthuttu idhu vERaya :twisted: :twisted: :oops: actually innum sugam, paused and enjoyed that 8-)

DH are you gonna watch it in the theater? :huh: :evil: inga release aana dhaane :x aachunna sureaa :yes:

thamizhvaanan
29th December 2008, 11:36 AM
DH are you gonna watch it in the theater? :huh: :evil: inga release aana dhaane :x aachunna sureaa :yes:

Inga sila pala per theatre la paakradha download panni paakradhanu periya dilemma la irukkom .... can't wait :twisted:

directhit
29th December 2008, 11:39 AM
Inga sila pala per theatre la paakradha download panni paakradhanu periya dilemma la irukkom .... can't wait :twisted: theatre la varumpodhu thirumba poikkalaam :wink: btw when is it releasin there?!

thamizhvaanan
29th December 2008, 11:52 AM
Inga sila pala per theatre la paakradha download panni paakradhanu periya dilemma la irukkom .... can't wait :twisted: theatre la varumpodhu thirumba poikkalaam :wink: btw when is it releasin there?!
Cha cha.. andha first time paakra effect miss aaga koodadhula :P

Theatre la paatha makkal enna solreenga? worth the wait?

Wibha
30th December 2008, 11:06 AM
Theatre la paatha makkal enna solreenga? worth the wait?

:yes: the movie is wonderful... :notworthy:

I liked the way the story goes :)

thilak4life
30th December 2008, 12:37 PM
Disappointed.

What's with Boyle and unreal characters. Salim is poorly acted by all actors, and poorly written too. Queasiness peaked when Young Jamal is baptized by feces pool (Recurring Renton's swim through toilet sewer in Trainspotting) to get AB's autograph.

While the vision failed on multiple levels, visuals, and background score saved a bit. Anyone else wince at Boyle's faux celebration with Jamal-Latika in the end? :banghead: Loved the song though.

Nerd
10th January 2009, 02:01 PM
Has the movie been released in India? Here's Raja Sen raving (http://www.rediff.com/movies/2009/jan/09review-slumdog-millionaire-raja.htm) about the film.

complicateur
10th January 2009, 02:03 PM
//dig.
Here's Raja Sen raving (http://www.rediff.com/movies/2009/jan/09review-slumdog-millionaire-raja.htm) about the film. Is S@it a printable word now ? end dig.//

Nerd
10th January 2009, 02:10 PM
:lol:
Btw, I dint post that link to say that Raja Sen is an authority when it comes to reviewing films. I was actually surprised to see a review in rediff when the film is supossed to release only on Jan 23 in India.

ajithfederer
12th January 2009, 07:50 AM
SDM wins the best original screenplay Golden Globe.

Nerd
12th January 2009, 07:54 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: Not surprising.

P_R
12th January 2009, 08:38 AM
Rahman :victory:

ajithfederer
12th January 2009, 08:39 AM
ARR,

Ingayum clappiruvom :clap: :D.

Wibha
12th January 2009, 08:40 AM
I saw Danny Boyle. COudn't see Rahman :cry2: :cry2:

directhit
12th January 2009, 08:41 AM
I saw Danny Boyle. COudn't see Rahman :cry2: :cry2: :poke: :lol:

Nerd
12th January 2009, 08:41 AM
Best picture and Best director remain, I am not very optimistic though :oops:

directhit
12th January 2009, 08:42 AM
guess Dir might win it and movie might not :roll:

P_R
12th January 2009, 08:44 AM
michcha award-ai ellAm edhukku paaththukittu irukkeenga :confused2:

ajithfederer
12th January 2009, 08:44 AM
Danny boyle wins best director. :).

directhit
12th January 2009, 08:46 AM
af - director dhaane :confused2:

Nerd
SDM Wins best picture :shock: :clap: :clap:
Best director-bA adhu

viraajan
Hats off to SDM Team!! :clap: :bow: :clap: :bow: :clap: :bow: :clap: :bow:

Nerd
12th January 2009, 08:47 AM
michcha award-ai ellAm edhukku paaththukittu irukkeenga :confused2:
Its an *Indian* film after all.

ajithfederer
12th January 2009, 08:47 AM
:oops: Yes i am sorry.

SDM Wins best picture :shock: :clap: :clap:
Best director-bA adhu

directhit
12th January 2009, 08:48 AM
michcha award-ai ellAm edhukku paaththukittu irukkeenga :confused2: neenga SDM awards varumbodhavadhu jai ho paata kelunga :evil:

P_R
12th January 2009, 08:52 AM
michcha award-ai ellAm edhukku paaththukittu irukkeenga :confused2: neenga SDM awards varumbodhavadhu jai ho paata kelunga :evil:

Listening in youtube now :musicsmile:

padamum inimE dhaan paarkkaNum....for some reason I was dismissive of it even without watching.

directhit
12th January 2009, 09:03 AM
3 on 3 so far for SDM
would it be a 4 on 4 :wink:

Wibha
12th January 2009, 09:10 AM
I saw Danny Boyle. COudn't see Rahman :cry2: :cry2: :poke: :lol:

:x :x :x :x

Nerd
12th January 2009, 09:27 AM
Best Motion Picture - Drama
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008)
Frost/Nixon (2008)
The Reader (2008)
Revolutionary Road (2008)
Slumdog Millionaire (2008)

Very umimpressive list I must say though I have not seen 4 out of 5. Where is the Dark Knight :twisted: Slumdog should win.

Nerd
12th January 2009, 09:29 AM
And slumdog wins :victory:

Freakin Four on Four

ajithfederer
12th January 2009, 09:29 AM
:shock: :shock:

It wins best pic too :clap:

ajithfederer
12th January 2009, 09:31 AM
And this is one great recognition for the entire team. All the big names in hollywood were present in the stage. :clap:.

P_R
12th January 2009, 09:32 AM
Very umimpressive list I must say though I have not seen 4 out of 5. Where is the Dark Knight :twisted: Slumdog should win.

WTH ?>>>

Dark Knight wasn't even nominated ?

viLayadraanungaLA ?

According to imdb - only Heath Ledger seems to be nominated everywhere. No trace of Chris Nolan..

Is the world out of its mind ?

Nerd
12th January 2009, 09:32 AM
Rahman, Anil Kapoor, Simon Beufoy, Danny, Pinto, Dev Patel everybody on stage. Tom Cruise was the presenter. Unbelievable stuff!!

The producer said f*** on air :rotfl:

ajithfederer
12th January 2009, 09:33 AM
Even i was very much surprised. Heath Ledger was nominated and he won. But no traces of nomination in other categories.

WTH ?>>>

Dark Knight wasn't even nominated ?

viLayadraanungaLA ?

According to imdb - only Heath Ledger seems to be nominated everywhere. No trace of Chris Nolan..

Is the world out of its mind ?

Nerd
12th January 2009, 09:34 AM
Have not seen many movies this year, but slumdog is a frontrunner for
1. Best Director
2. Best adapted screenplay
3. Best Original Score
4. Best Picture

naanga dhAn appOvE sonnOm-la 8-)

P_R
12th January 2009, 09:36 AM
Even i was very much surprised. Heath Ledger was nominated and he won. But no traces of nomination in other categories.

Button nominated Dark Knight not ???
idhai naan vanmaiyA kaNdikkiREn

Wibha
12th January 2009, 09:37 AM
:lol: who cares :D

SLUMDOG FOREVER :smokesmirk:

ajithfederer
12th January 2009, 09:39 AM
Include me too. Freeya vidunga, Oscarsla paathukalam :P.

Button nominated Dark Knight not ???
idhai naan vanmaiyA kaNdikkiREn

P_R
12th January 2009, 09:48 AM
Include me too. Freeya vidunga, Oscarsla paathukalam :P. Yeah

They better nominate Chris Nolan for direction and the Nolan brothers for writing

ajithfederer
12th January 2009, 09:49 AM
And please include Heath Ledger. He received standing ovation for his award. :).

They better nominate Chris Nolan for direction and the Nolan brothers for writing

directhit
12th January 2009, 09:50 AM
And please include Heath Ledger. He received standing ovation for his award. :).

They better nominate Chris Nolan for direction and the Nolan brothers for writing shud have been best actor instead of supporting 8-)

P_R
12th January 2009, 09:56 AM

I am sure they will nominate him and I am reasonably sure he will win too.

I am bothered about Nolan.

He was nominated for writing Memento. Apart from that he has not been nominated for anything.

Batman Begins/The Prestiege were not nominated for any major award.

I am wondering is Hollywood doesn't realize how good he is.

VENKIRAJA
14th January 2009, 07:49 AM

ithai nAn vazhimozikiREn.
Naansans maathiri pesikittu irukke arshu! :x

VENKIRAJA
14th January 2009, 07:52 AM
Disappointed.

What's with Boyle and unreal characters. Salim is poorly acted by all actors, and poorly written too. Queasiness peaked when Young Jamal is baptized by feces pool (Recurring Renton's swim through toilet sewer in Trainspotting) to get AB's autograph.

While the vision failed on multiple levels, visuals, and background score saved a bit. Anyone else wince at Boyle's faux celebration with Jamal-Latika in the end? :banghead: Loved the song though.

Ditto.
But I mean, what is with the visuals? I thought they were typical desi-style as well. :confused2: Still, it was fun to watch it.

directhit
14th January 2009, 07:58 AM
aanalum neengellam romba thaan policekaar aavureenga :evil:

Nerd
14th January 2009, 09:01 AM
Whats policekaar :?

VENKIRAJA
14th January 2009, 01:26 PM
Whats policekaar :?

Refer Ghilli's Otteri Nari.
"AnAlum ungappA rombO pOleesA irukArudA... pEsAma avara daivars paNNidu machi!"

Roshan
18th January 2009, 01:47 PM
Watched it last night back to back twice and in parts third time

Intha padathai niRaiya pEr innum pAkkAthathAla - I shall refrain from posting my views until 23rd.

"Music composed and Produced by A R Rahman"- nu titles varumpOthu koncham emotional aayittEn. AthayE rewind paNNi oru 6 muRai pArthEn :D

He stands a high chance for Oscars :2thumbsup:

crajkumar_be
18th January 2009, 03:59 PM
Rahman, Anil Kapoor, Simon Beufoy, Danny, Pinto, Dev Patel everybody on stage. Tom Cruise was the presenter. Unbelievable stuff!!

The producer said f*** on air :rotfl:
sila pala martini ulla poiyirukku adjust pannikkunga nu vera sonnaar :lol:
Innoru Brit, madhu rasakkuvalayodaye medayeri pesinaar :)

crajkumar_be
18th January 2009, 04:03 PM
I'm 99% sure i won't like the movie. The very premise and setting of the movie will interfere with my viewing . Yet second day Sathyathula namma Maddy kitta thundu poda sollitten.
I'm watching obviously only for Rahman.
Melody la RDB ku settu makkal kudutha varaverpe pullarichidhu (title la A.R Rahman nu vandhappa especially) , idhu na kekkava venum 8-)

Disappointed.

directhit
18th January 2009, 05:31 PM
[tscii:8b747e1316]

Why I like... Slumdog Millionaire - Venkat Prabhu

Because, it’s extraordinary that someone could make a film like this. The boy who played the young Jamal was amazing. Rahman’s music is great. And, as a director, I know the difficulties involved in shooting in crowded locales such as rai lways stations. The film looks so realistic but it would have taken a lot of effort to get that effect. Now, I am inspired to make a film on the slums abroad and the racism that exists there.

http://www.hindu.com/cp/2009/01/16/stories/2009011650060300.htm[/tscii:8b747e1316]

Roshan
18th January 2009, 07:28 PM
I'm 99% sure i won't like the movie.

Ippadi oru mudivOdu padam pArkka pOvathu avvaLavu nallathilla. athukku pAkkamalEyE irunthudalAm .

crajkumar_be
18th January 2009, 09:04 PM

Ippadi oru mudivOdu padam pArkka pOvathu avvaLavu nallathilla. athukku pAkkamalEyE irunthudalAm .
I can't accept the fact that a British Indian is going to play the role of a Mumbai slum-dweller speaking English (Brit) and cracking a quiz contest (however dumbed down the contest might be).
(Come on, we have lesser tolerance for actors who are misfits when it comes to accents in movies)
I have a problem with these cross over movies like "Kama Sutra" etc for these reasons. (Monsoon Wedding, on the other hand, i loved)
In general, i have a problem if the language/context thing isn't set right. In fact, i couldn't watch more than 10 minutes of "The Terrorist" and i have some grouses about a movie like Iruvar.
And i also heard about the Amitabh autograph scene. Let's see.

In any case, i have mentioned why i'm going to watch the movie :huh: . Its not in a desperate attempt to see if im going to like the movie or not (well, even if that happens, its a bonus right), but rather, its for Rahman.

Ennada padatha pakkarakku munnadiye conclude pannraannu yosikkareengala... It might apply to every one of us at any point in time, its just that the movie in question would differ :)

Anyway, let's see...

thilak4life
18th January 2009, 09:39 PM
CR,

I completely get what you're saying about accent, and authenticity. Even if the "setting" or "milieu" is ignored, it didn't work for me. It encompasses the frequent themes of Indian (mainly Bollywood) masala. Carries a bit of gratitude to Salim-Javed school of cinema (Elder of the brothers is named Salim), and like many other bollywood films, the love story forms the emotional core. The Who-wants-to-be-millionaire show functions for Jamal's pursuit of Latika. The investigation is used as the narrative device. And let's not forget the denouement is a forte of our romantic films. Railway station-lam Mani saar padathla parthuttu than irukkOmE. Everything has a ring to it, but positively it never condescends this.

The way it is captured (this is where I beg to differ with Venki above) is through a "foreign" lens (Boyle is sensed in every frame), much less expressed verbally. This also works to the detriment, as the viewer senses a detachment to the characters because of the writing and acting (latter proves Bressonian performances would be suicidal in a weak script).

Coming back to the portrayal of Mumbai, the filmmaker shows the indigence and violence involved, obviously the "extremes" of the slum and the "extremes" of the religious clashes. He doesn't brood over any of it. Cleverly done that such things didn't matter in the "overall" experience being less rewarding.

All said, if one person comes out brilliantly, it is ARR.

VENKIRAJA
18th January 2009, 11:51 PM
My opinions on Slumdog Millionaire:
(Full of spoilers.)
First off, the movie's very beginning reminded of City of God. Leave that aside anyway. :| The KBC part infact starts off brilliantly :P with a question of a philosophical shade: the toughest question of them all. The character of Salim- oscillates and well, the guys who portrayed him (especially the last) acted feebly. :hammer: Jamal, on the other side portrays a typical 'Vikraman' hero- I definitely see no reason for his passionate love for Latika. I mean, what got him interested? :huh: The begging episode just becomes too long after where it loses focus completely. Till that, it is indeed a good movie. Again, the sequence where Salim shoots the 'puLLa pudikaRavan' reminded Lil Ze's rampage. the 8 on 10 for the First half. :D
The director has to be appreciated: for his research. :clap: It is not easy for a Londonwallah to make a Bollywood movie. There were fine details: like pouring in some cheap coke into Coca Cola bottles and sealing them, Carwheels and shoes being stolen off, the girl posing abinayams when talkin to Jamal, etc. Caution- Most of it was in the first half. Second half is atrocious. :mad: The most pathetic moments being- A chai-wallah instructs the call-center idiot on making calls to the programme, :banghead: the bathroom scene and above all the Sandwich scene. :fatigue: And, I would be glad to know if someone would even offer me a thousand bucks for the question- "Who was the third Musketeer?" Were I supposed to laugh at that the ending.. Which Indian asks his girlfriend to kiss amidst a railway platform? Bakwaas yaar! Just 3 on 10 for the second half. :oops:
India is a place where actors are worshipped, minorities are brtutally hit, Muslims are bigshots, foreigners gazing at Taj Mahal, filled with call-centers, folks are crazy for TV, policemen are rude: The views of the white man are never going to change. :( Secondly, the visuals which everyone rave about. :confused2: perusA oNNum illa- the color tone makes the difference. Perspective, focus ellAm namma Ravivarman varaikkum kAmichAchu. If at all, it is raw. Lastly, the music was the :thumbsup: part of the movie and not the visuals. I found a humming in the first half too engrossing. I listened to it as soon as the film was over. :musicsmile: IMO ARR must win an Oscar for sure. And, it is not a bad movie at all. It is a very decent effort. But there is too much of predictability and cliche in the movie. :o So much said, I rate it 6/10 or at the maximum 7/10 just because the popularity of the movie paves way for global recognition of our movies. Like John Woo, maybe Sangar would go on to make Hollywood stuff in days to come. :exactly:

Nerd
19th January 2009, 12:35 AM
I can't accept the fact that a British Indian is going to play the role of a Mumbai slum-dweller speaking English (Brit) and cracking a quiz contest (however dumbed down the contest might be).
(Come on, we have lesser tolerance for actors who are misfits when it comes to accents in movies)
Common CR, if you are OK with a guy born in the 50s(?) petering in English (Hi Malini, I m krishnan, Kiddo etc.) with an accent which is comparable to the present Indian youth accent, you should be able to overlook Dev Patel's peter. Anyway pArthuttu vaanga. I was able to overlook that and the merits of the movie clearly overshadowed this aspect.

On the Bollywood masala thingi I think its atrocious to compare it with the masalas bollywood has been churning out since the 80s. The hero does not do any stunts, there were no item numbers, the villains werent loud and irritating etc.

And on the complaints on showing India in poor light, well if you look at most of the Indian movies that got international acclaim, they were all like that only. Kamasutra, Salaam Bombay, Water etc. And I dont think Danny exaggerated even one bit for the sake of sensationalism.

and above all the Sandwich scene.
What is the problem? That scene in fact was the turning point in the movie. Jamal learns that Latika watches Who wants to be a millionaire. And I think Latika asks Jamal to kiss her and what is wrong with that? But like you I also loved the first half and the second half was just about OK. I would give it a 8/10.

Wibha
19th January 2009, 01:31 AM
Dev Patel doesn't completely speak with Brit accent. There are places where it's obvious that he's Brit but he's mostly spoken in the Indian Accent. (atlest he's tried)

I kinda feel many in india won't like it :| :oops:

thilak4life
19th January 2009, 01:35 AM
Venki,

Regarding Jamal-Latika bondage - one could be excused for seeing this as "Ariyadha vayasu" lou (poverty-stricken too). Sounds like another cliche, right?

Nerd,

I didn't compare it to the masala "format". There are no "I love you" rants, duets abroad, over the top fights, and such routine(s) that our films exercise. My above post concerned only about the themes from Masala tradition. Btw, The film ends on a dance routine, it's blatant that they're embracing this sort of "celebration" (One would claim it to be a heartfelt homage). I'm praising Danny for not condescending these "aspects". Don't we enjoy these aspects in our cinema when it is done well?

In fact I didn't care much about the "gutters" of city (or the nation) shown in the film. We embrace Brazilian (City of God or Pixote) or Italian mob films (Plenty to name here). I'm more concerned of the milieu expressed in context of the story. I personally find this more problematic than say, the authenticity of the accent. Btw when Jamal jumps into the pool of feces, and makes his way to get AB's autograph, it was sensationalist. The film also has plenty of serious events (parts where the audience reaction to these events would be"serious") in its overall positive romantic tale. And a positive spin in the relationship of brothers. Speaking of which, Salim's death is unconvincingly done. Salim sacrificing himself in a pool of money is just sensationalist in caps. Except if Jamal is an unreliable narrator. Salim had actually been a "different" brother we are not aware of. The film is developed through first-person narrative. The camera is always on Jamal, and in a way instructed by Jamal. This narrative offers little reason to Salim's change.

thilak4life
19th January 2009, 01:43 AM
Ah you name "Salaam Bombay!", now that is one heck of a film which takes itself too seriously. "Slumdog.. is a less serious less-tacky celebration (I dare say humanistic). I'm not saying SD shouldn't be made. But it is the how that one is concerned with. Didn't "Water" receive wide-spread criticism in India? Obviously because we're based locally. International acclaim doesn't really matter (it matters if your local favorites are involved, like this year :) )

Nerd
19th January 2009, 09:27 AM
Thilak,
While bringing up the sensationalism thingi I referred to children forced to beg on streets, sexual/child abuse, blinding children's eyes etc. Those weren't made up or exaggerated

The AB thingi was sensationalist alright, but IMO its a may be. Its as good/bad as the Renton thingi in Trainspotting. Jamal is just 4 and you know how AB was celebrated in Mumbai in the 70s/80s. Its probably sensationalist but not an exaggeration I believe.

On salim, His character was mysterious. But Danny gives a couple of clues: After the Jamal-Salim reunion (both grown up) Salim was shown doing namas and asking God to give him salvation or something. There was an other scene on similar lines which I forgot. I was expecting him to apologize to Jamal/Latika then again that would have been outright silly. And on the money-pool thingi Salim was shown as a money-freak right from the first scene (Getting money to use the toilet, selling AB's autograph for money etc_)

VENKIRAJA
19th January 2009, 02:09 PM
and above all the Sandwich scene.
What is the problem? That scene in fact was the turning point in the movie. Jamal learns that Latika watches Who wants to be a millionaire. And I think Latika asks Jamal to kiss her and what is wrong with that? But like you I also loved the first half and the second half was just about OK. I would give it a 8/10.

It was bound to happen. I would have been happy if something else had happened. Thats the main reason- Sounded to me like it was the biggest "ippO pArEn, adutha scene-la hero-vum heroine-um epadiyAchum meet paNNiruvAnga" syndrome. Plus, I hated the girl who played Latika. (The second Latika mattum thAn 'nachu' figure.. meethi ellAm attu ;) )

Roshan
19th January 2009, 07:20 PM
Common CR, if you are OK with a guy born in the 50s(?) petering in English (Hi Malini, I m krishnan, Kiddo etc.) with an accent which is comparable to the present Indian youth accent, you should be able to overlook Dev Patel's peter. Anyway pArthuttu vaanga. I was able to overlook that and the merits of the movie clearly overshadowed this aspect.

:exactly: and adhuthAn sAthanai and adhuthAn makes this movie special.

On the Bollywood masala thingi I think its atrocious to compare it with the masalas bollywood has been churning out since the 80s. The hero does not do any stunts, there were no item numbers, the villains werent loud and irritating etc.

Ditto

And on the complaints on showing India in poor light, well if you look at most of the Indian movies that got international acclaim, they were all like that only. Kamasutra, Salaam Bombay, Water etc. And I dont think Danny exaggerated even one bit for the sake of sensationalism.

200% right and that's why I liked it. Though it deals with some controversial stuff here and there (not through out the movie as some people try to badly exeggarate here). Amithab scene'a senstationalism'nu solluRavanga rasanaiyA nenechA sirikkiRatha azhuvurathA'nu theriyala. And these are the people who call ultimate sensationalisms as classics (ennatha cholla :banghead: )

Namma directors easy'a sensationalise paNNakoodiya - uNarchiya suraNdi suraNdi kaasu pArkkakoodiya scenes'a oru haikoo mAthiri kavithaiyA solRathuthAn intha padathin veRRi IMO.

There were few let downs but that doesnt by anyway makes the movie inferior.

And Bala ivvaLavu unacceptable things'oda neenga releas'pOvE padam pAkka mudivu paNNuRathu - I am unable to fathom :huh:

P_R
19th January 2009, 08:27 PM

:exactly:
idhukkAga dhaan innum paakkalai.
aanaa ippo paathE agaNum :-)

thilak4life
19th January 2009, 09:25 PM
Nerd,
Its as good/bad as the Renton thingi in Trainspotting. Jamal is just 4 and you know how AB was celebrated in Mumbai in the 70s/80s. Its probably sensationalist but not an exaggeration I believe.

Yes. I agree that the rest were touched upon with curiousness (lot less "sensational"). As I had said, "He doesn't brood over any of it. Cleverly done that such things didn't matter in the "overall" experience being less rewarding."

I get the sequences you're talking about. Besides, grownup Salim looked sincere meeting Jamal after a long time. But such sequences didn't make up for the epiphany in the denouement. Mysterious in deed. Sadly, The actors who played Salim didn't help much. The "money pool" sequence metaphor-a purinjidhu.. But again I'm still mystified by the sacrifice. (this again seemed like the old BW films where the Elder brother dies for the younger one. Except it is just too vaguely shown in Slumdog)

thilak4life
19th January 2009, 10:04 PM
I saw the movie and would go out on one limb to say that there have been movies that have shown Indian slums/Indian negative side in a far more striking and sordid manner and I have seen my share of them and have understood and felt them. This movie is different - This movie irrespective of slums or no slums - Bombay or Rio De janeiro - it is one of the weakest screenplays to have ever come out for a hollywood movie and what the heck - even bollywood movies of the past year have been better than this one.

Yabba, finally someone agrees!

The chase by the cops of the children in the slums inspired by the awesome sequence in 'Black Friday', starts the silly tone for the movie.

The film didn't take itself that seriously. Didn't the scene (and the film) depict some sort of "escapist" moment? A cheeky moment. Besides, it is true that Danny is a big fan of RGV's Satya, AK's Black Friday, and Ram Balram! :lol: The last one is an interesting choice for its thematic similarities to this film..

not one character save the 'Forrest Gump'ish hero is shown to be of anything worthy.

Irrfan khan? Latika? Salim towards the end makes up for his "sins" I believe. I think this is not necessarily Danny's view of India. His films like "Shallow grave" and "Trainspotting" exhibits lack of trust and bigotry among the characters.

That doesn't mean that Rahman's achievments are in doubt - just that the movie in which he gave his best for hollywood is not as worthy as it is made out to be .

you didn't like *Rahman's work* here? Chumma Dhool Kalapittaaru...

crajkumar_be
20th January 2009, 11:39 AM
And Bala ivvaLavu unacceptable things'oda neenga releas'pOvE padam pAkka mudivu paNNuRathu - I am unable to fathom :huh:

:shock: :confused2: :huh:

I'm 99% sure i won't like the movie. The very premise and setting of the movie will interfere with my viewing . Yet second day Sathyathula namma Maddy kitta thundu poda sollitten.
I'm watching obviously only for Rahman.

In any case, i have mentioned why i'm going to watch the movie :huh: . Its not in a desperate attempt to see if im going to like the movie or not (well, even if that happens, its a bonus right), but rather, its for Rahman

crajkumar_be
20th January 2009, 12:02 PM
Common CR, if you are OK with a guy born in the 50s(?) petering in English (Hi Malini, I m krishnan, Kiddo etc.) with an accent which is comparable to the present Indian youth accent, you should be able to overlook Dev Patel's peter.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Suffice to say that when dialogues like Inbasegar asking "Pattudha?" (meaning "adi pattucha?", in the fight with Suriya) abound in Mani films, nobody has a problem, i don't know why this is held against VA/GM so vociferously and for so long :huh: And there's just no comparison between the purported English goof ups in a Thamizh movie and a movie about slums in English

I repeat, here its not about being perfect or not with the accent. I have said i can't handle a movie in *English* where Indian characters are played by English speaking Indians, and/or American/British Indians (Kama Sutra) and we get to hear Maharajas and slum-dwellers speaking in English! I can't imagine a movie on Kasimedu where the characters speak English, Indian/American/British or whatever. Thats just not done
[aana idhuve Monsoon Wedding parunga.....]

Thats why (similar lack of context and plausibility) Sithan's characterization interfered with my movie watching experience of Pithamagan, though there were many redeeming points in the film. Here, i doubt even that.

Sidebar (Peter Mary Varanam "Daddy" Aayiram): College padikkayila we used to frequent a wine shop near Anna Nagar Blue Star (it was actually behind a complex or something). Appo around 45 vayasula oruthar eppavume guitar-oda varuvaaru. enga kooda saralama Peter vuttunu English paattellam vaasipparu/paaduvaaru. Contemporary English.
Aminjikkarai Arul Wines pakkathula there used to be one rag picker who called himself Lindon Cruise (easily 40 years). He looked exactly like the payithiyam pudicha Bharath in Kadhal Spoke excellent English (not dated) and was a fan of Bob Marley.
I know some Christian friends who are from a similar setting like Dad Suriya (actually enakku therinju rendu brothers irundhaanga. They were named alpha and beta or something! Father was again kind of hip, considering his age)

equanimus
20th January 2009, 12:22 PM
And there's just no comparison between the purported English goof ups in a Thamizh movie and an Indian movie about slums in English
I agree. The issue here is not with how bad or good the accent is, but with not even trying to speak in the right language. This is of course a problem that any film that adopts such mode has to "overcome." We can't hold it unequivocally against the film, but it's indeed very problematic.

I had this complaint, at a minor level, even with the wonderful 'hazaaron khwahishein aisi.' Again the issue there was not the accents of the various actors, but how some of their backgrounds were carefully constructed to establish that they would carry on talking in English whenever they are besides each other. It's not about how fluent they are in English, but about how easily even the most elite of Delhi-ites would fall back on Hindi.

Nerd
20th January 2009, 08:32 PM
1. They show the slums in about four (long) scenes and nobody speaks English. . It was all in Hindi
2. Once they move out of slums, Danny actually tried to justify the English connection but it wasn't convincing at all. (padam paarunga)
3. Even our Indian directors make English movies (Mira,deepa etc) on India, why not Boyle?!

Naanum neenga sonna maathiri characters pAthirukken. But my grouse is, it's by Gowtham Peter Menon who has a history. He did not do that because the character was like that or whatever, he did that because he wanted to show off!!!!

Roshan
21st January 2009, 10:05 PM
In any case, i have mentioned why i'm going to watch the movie :huh: . Its not in a desperate attempt to see if im going to like the movie or not (well, even if that happens, its a bonus right), but rather, its for Rahman

Yes, but still :? Anyway, pAthuttu vanthu sollunga :)

P_R
21st January 2009, 10:30 PM
appo naama sariththira padamE edukka mudiyAdhu

We don't have any idea how Tamil was spoken any further than 100-150 years back. And if we were to faithfully proceed with our best understanding of how it was spoken - it may not make sense to most people who are not steeped into context.

So the question is not "how can slumboy speak English, it is illogical". It is only "feels odd". And I think, that is what Bala is saying.

On the flight there was an English movie with Nandita Das and Rahul Bose. Plantation workers ! Was hilariously fake that I switched to watching a cartoon where Cars where talking: "which for some reason didn't seem jarring at all" :-)

As the philosopher said: (resounding slap) aadu eppidrA pEsum ?

equanimus
21st January 2009, 10:54 PM
PR,
I'm not sure which post your post is in response to, but that's what I've said here.

This is of course a problem that any film that adopts such mode has to "overcome." We can't hold it unequivocally against the film, but it's indeed very problematic.
Danny Boyle at the end of the day had to make an English film.

P_R
21st January 2009, 10:58 PM
ungaLadhu moolam
enadhu padhavurai

equanimus
21st January 2009, 11:12 PM
Oh, I'm sorry! I was just wondering if the point didn't come through well in my earlier post.

P_R
21st January 2009, 11:53 PM
Sorry-ya !

It was indeed a very valid point and I understood it. I felt it was typically cryptic, I wanted to expand on it touching upon the writing if historicals that always fascinated me. Writing about a time and place and assuming constancy of language (or archaism from today's PoV) is a curiosity that always occuppied me.

What are the overall limitations of being completely authentic:

Imagine "ஏம்லே கிஸ்தி கேக்க ? வயலுக்கு வந்தியா லே ? நாத்து நட்டியா லே ?" (courtesy Dindigul Leoni).

So I expanded on your point in this direction.

Nerd
22nd January 2009, 08:16 PM
Just 10 nominations 8-) Button-kku 13. ReNdaiyum pAthuttEn :smokesmirk:

ajithfederer
22nd January 2009, 08:25 PM
Congrats ARR. Oru Oscar uruthinnu enaku thonudhu :P .

Nerd
22nd January 2009, 08:37 PM
Original song confirmed. Originalscore is 70-30 I think. Screenplay 100-0. Namma pandithargalukku screenplay kooda pidikkalayaam. Padam waste, fake accent etc othukkalaam, but screenplay, certainly the best.

P_R
22nd January 2009, 11:46 PM
I hope Rahman gets both the Oscars.

Eager fanboy:indha writing Oscar-ai enga vaikka
Nammavar:kOvathula engennu solliduvEn

complicateur
22nd January 2009, 11:56 PM
Screenplay 100-0. Namma pandithargalukku screenplay kooda pidikkalayaam. Padam waste, fake accent etc othukkalaam, but screenplay, certainly the best.

//Sumall digression: In Bruges pArththirukIngaLA? I think that movie has one of the most phenomenal screenplays this year. . Doubt is also exceptionally good but it smacks too much of a theatrical source, the reason I think Revolutionary Road was not nominated. end sumall digression//

Nerd
23rd January 2009, 07:45 AM
Oh, havent seen In Bruges. Parkkalaam :)

thilak4life
23rd January 2009, 09:40 AM
Ideally In bruges would be among the best categories, but then we're speaking of Oscars. At least BAFTA nominations for "best british film", and supporting actor for Brendan Gleeson (Colin Farrell wasn't bad either).

Nerd
23rd January 2009, 10:07 AM
Just realized that In Bruges is up for Best original screenplay. Well, vaangittu pOgattum.

Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008): Eric Roth, Robin Swicord
Doubt (2008/I): John Patrick Shanley
Frost/Nixon (2008): Peter Morgan
The Reader (2008): David Hare
Slumdog Millionaire (2008): Simon Beaufoy

Seen only TCCOBB and Slumdog. Slumdog > TCCOBB

kannannn
24th January 2009, 04:06 PM
Not a bad movie at all. Given that it was a Boyle movie I knew what to expect and found precisely that. Very enjoyable story and the performances, save Irfan Khan's, were good(the kids were the best IMO :notworthy:). I found too many convenient coincidences in the story and the ending was quite garish. But in retrospective, that's what the movie is about, so I can't really complain. And I found the switch from Hindi to English quite alright (in fact, I wouldn't have minded if the entire movie was in English. So what if the setting was a slum?). Having said all, I cannot help asking myself again - Oscar ellam konjam overa theriyala?!

BTW Thilak, the Trainspotter reference was well spotted (!!) :) . Wonder if they were both Boyle's insertions or adapted 'as is' from the books!!

Roshan
24th January 2009, 07:45 PM
Original song confirmed. Originalscore is 70-30 I think. Screenplay 100-0. Namma pandithargalukku screenplay kooda pidikkalayaam. Padam waste, fake accent etc othukkalaam, but screenplay, certainly the best.

Well said Nerd :thumbsup: But remember, pandithargaLukku azhagu nallathu ethuvO adha maRuthu pEsuRathu :P SDM's screenplay was one of the main things that made the movie interesting. One of the best without any doubt.

crajkumar_be
24th January 2009, 11:20 PM
Watched the film with Maddy.
Academy kaaran kaasu vaangittaan.

littlemaster1982
24th January 2009, 11:21 PM
Ippadi potthaam podhuva sonna eppadi :|

Ramakrishna
24th January 2009, 11:24 PM
Ippadi potthaam podhuva sonna eppadi :|

athaane... theliva sollunga Bala.

thilak4life
25th January 2009, 01:15 AM
Wonder if they were both Boyle's insertions or adapted 'as is' from the books!!

I highly suspect it would be from the books. :)

crajkumar_be
26th January 2009, 01:05 AM
Senthil & Rama,
The film was very very ordinary. Language was just one of the issues-na paathukkongalen! When i said i would have a problem because of the language, i assumed apart from that it would be a very 'tight' movie. Didn't work for me at all. In fact, even those who appear to be criticizing it are being too generous IMO.
Not that the Oscars have always been 'fair' but 10 nominations for this is something else :shock:

Rahman's BGM: First half was good. Second half was ok

Like Thilak said, though Oscars may not be the ultimate, it is somewhere in the vicinity of ultimate for us, it means A LOT to us, and and i take it that the nominations for our man is for his music over the years and not necessarily SDM (O Saya is a different issue). It has great implications for us

P.S: I and Maddy, without realizing that we had come for an English movie, were waiting for Rahman's name in the credits in the beginning (i was expecting something electrifying like RDB!). In fact, padam arambichum kooda thirundhala, Bakiaraj padathula varra madhiri vittu pudichittu, music by A.R Rahman nu poduvaanga nu nenachuttrundhom...

Slum Daak Gents Daak Attaak Me!

Ramakrishna
26th January 2009, 01:23 AM
P.S: I and Maddy, without realizing that we had come for an English movie, were waiting for Rahman's name in the credits in the beginning (i was expecting something electrifying like RDB!). In fact, padam arambichum kooda thirundhala, Bakiaraj padathula varra madhiri vittu pudichittu, music by A.R Rahman nu poduvaanga nu nenachuttrundhom...

:lol: Ingayum athey thaan, eppodaa paer poduvaan eppodaa kathalaamnu kaathittu irunthom(whistle adikka theriyaathu :oops:)

Wibha
26th January 2009, 04:23 AM

:lol: Ingayum athey thaan, eppodaa paer poduvaan eppodaa kathalaamnu kaathittu irunthom(whistle adikka theriyaathu :oops:)

:lol:

was it in hindi or english? :?

Ramakrishna
26th January 2009, 12:05 PM
English ofcourse

ajaybaskar
1st February 2009, 09:09 AM
[tscii:b06a8cf8db]Raaz wins

Raaz: The Mystery Continues” has taken a far better opening than “Slumdog Millionaire”. Foreign films have always taken the backseat when it comes to the Indian box office and despite the presence of several Indian actors in “SDM”, “Raaz” has managed to take a far better opening than the other film. In fact “Raaz: TMC”, directed by Mohit Suri, has raked in much more than the previous Vishesh Films hit “Jannat” as well.
[/tscii:b06a8cf8db]

ajaybaskar
1st February 2009, 09:10 AM
[tscii:42bddf7685]‘It’s great to be recognised’

Irrfan Khan defies all stereotypes of our film industry. Be it in the choice of the films he does. Or even the way he conducts himself. In response to an SMS, he calls back, even introducing himself. This from a man whose voice is his hallmark. Also, the man who has been a vital part of the much-feted “Slumdog Millionaire”, which landed four Golden Globes, including one for the Best Original Score that A.R. Rahman won!

Neutral observer

However, isn’t it strange that we are celebrating international awards for a film based in Mumbai slums? And it is directed by a foreigner too? Irrfan disagrees. “At times when you are the subject matter, you don’t get the reality. You don’t get the wider perspective. You need a dispassionate neutral observer to cut it for you.”

He adds further, “‘Slumdog Millionaire’ is made for their market, the global market. It is not meant for India as such. While making the film, the producer and director were conscious of their target audience and made the film accordingly. For instance, here you see a slum boy tale but the boy speaks English. Sometimes these decisions are not easy to make. There was a similar criticism for “City of Joy”. But I believe it needed courage and vision to make this kind of a film. We may not identify with the slum boy speaking English but the world does.”

Irrfan is clearly unhappy with the way critics look at our films, even at the moment of finest glory. “I faced similar criticism at the time of the ‘Warrior’. People abroad loved the film but critics started digging the roots out of the film. They did not realise that the warrior was a fictitious character. Similarly, ‘Slumdog Millionaire’ is based on Vikas Swarup’s book but it is a work of fiction. Above fact and fiction, it is a moving story of human spirit. That is what I find uplifting. When I do a film I see if the story is moving. Here it certainly does.” Incidentally, he plays a police inspector in the film.

Thrilling feeling

And what about the celebrations that have followed international recognition for Rahman and the rest of the cast and crew of “Slumdog Millionaire”? “It is great to be recognised. There is a huge market in front of us now. We all look up to it. Recognition matters for a film. We like to get acknowledgement for our hard work. It affects our business, it affects our happiness. So, it is quite a thrilling feeling to get all the Golden Globe awards.”

And what about Rahman’s music in the film? “It is outstanding. But frankly, Rahman deserves much more. Hopefully, now the world will stand up and take notice of his enormous talent.”

[/tscii:42bddf7685]

littlemaster1982
1st February 2009, 10:19 AM
Watched the film in Sathyam Cinemas yesterday. The background score was terrific. I liked the film mainly because of the music this time.

The first time in INOX was :curse:

leosimha
17th February 2009, 12:03 PM
[tscii:0e94e054ab]

Slumdog Millionaire (SM)

After my not-so-good experiences with multiplexes – I have got a phobia for theatres. I have also understood something vital in life – that no Indian movie is worth big screen, and any foreign movie is not worth without good subtitles.

I had bought a pirated copy of SM in the train on my trip to Tiruppur recently. The print was good, the DVD seller is known to me, and it costed me just Rs 40. Well piracy is banned – but then the DVD seller pays the policemen Rs 300 for every trip he makes. I would love this DVD seller to make money than some multiplex owner – who makes money by selling stuff at more than MRP.

SM was a decent movie. But not worth the hype and the awards it is bragging. A R Rahman’s score was good as always, but not his best. He has done better in Indian movies I am sure.

The movie has it all – poverty, humour, sex, incest, violence, disgust, song, pain, ‘shit’ – a perfect masala I should say. The movie will surely give ‘sadistic’ pleasure to the people living in 1st world countries (US/UK) who are completely unaware about how people in 3rd world countries (like India) lead their lives. May be Indians should try to make a movie that depicts adultery, pre-teen sex, abortions and racial discrimination among the Westerners to brag some Oscars in future.

I liked the movie except for one dialogue – where the little guy says, this is real India, and the American says, then we will show who real Americans are. My God! They have tried to show Americans as the real White Gods! I think it is reason enough for A R Rahman to refuse to take the Oscars!

Source - posted by a blogger.[/tscii:0e94e054ab]

directhit
17th February 2009, 12:07 PM
I think it is reason enough for A R Rahman to refuse to take the Oscars! gundoosi vikkaravan ellaam thozhiladhibaraam, onra ana keyboard vachukkaravan ellam blogger aam

Nerd
17th February 2009, 08:29 PM
That real America dialogue so F-in annoying, really!

kannannn
18th February 2009, 01:27 AM
I have been having this argument with everyone who has an issue with the depiction of poverty in the movie. SDM works only when you can disengage with what is happening on screen. It helps to keep in mind that it was directed by a foreigner (based on a novel written by an Indian!!) and hence view it with a degree of dispassion. It just isn't worth the serious analyses and dissection I find on the net.

I think it quite fits with the happenings at that point in Jamal's life.

Nerd
18th February 2009, 02:18 AM
Kannan, I doubt if that line was from the book. I thought it was forced. Anyway as you said, I don't think the movie warrants a serious analysis.

crajkumar_be
18th February 2009, 12:55 PM
Actually i think i missed this one. Is it about the American-couple at the Taj scene? Driver ivana pottu adippaan.. what exactly happens next?

Nerd
18th February 2009, 08:18 PM
After their rental car has been stripped for parts, Jamal tells the couple You wanted to see real India, this is real India for you while getting bashed up by the driver. The American lady asks the driver to stop beating Jamal and hands Jamal a $100 bill (which he later gives to the blind dude) saying, I ll show you the real America

Real India thingi OK, Jamal vAzhkkai etc, but real America is three much. $100 evan kudukkuRAn OC-la? Adhuvum thirudantteyE :huh:

crajkumar_be
19th February 2009, 01:35 PM
After their rental car has been stripped for parts, Jamal tells the couple You wanted to see real India, this is real India for you while getting bashed up by the driver. The American lady asks the driver to stop beating Jamal and hands Jamal a $100 bill (which he later gives to the blind dude) saying, I ll show you the real America

Real India thingi OK, Jamal vAzhkkai etc, but real America is three much. $100 evan kudukkuRAn OC-la? Adhuvum thirudantteyE :huh:
Sooperabbu :lol2:
I (and Maddy perhaps) must have missed the "real america" line...

littlemaster1982
19th February 2009, 03:27 PM

I read somewhere that it is mocking Americans in a subtle way, that they think money can solve anything. Even when the lady asks money from her husband, it is muted.

Nerd
19th February 2009, 10:53 PM
What's muted :?

Btw, that scene was a dig on Americans ellAm rombba over-u.. There are two parts to the scene. If the money thingi was not convincing enough, the lady asking the driver to stop beating the boys should be.

littlemaster1982
20th February 2009, 07:03 AM
What's muted :?

Btw, that scene was a dig on Americans ellAm rombba over-u.. There are two parts to the scene. If the money thingi was not convincing enough, the lady asking the driver to stop beating the boys should be.

The word 'money'. Anyway, I don't find that convincing too.

kannannn
20th February 2009, 02:47 PM
Nerd,
When I say that the scene confirms to the happenings at that point, this is what I meant: Jamal's survival as a tour guide depends entirely on the gullibility of the tourists. It is also this gullibility that adds humour to that part of the story arc. So, the American couple's offer of money fits this general depiction of tourists. Viewers might find the scene funny precisely because they know that the arrogant 'this is American' nature of the couple is being exploited (the perspective that even a thief needs to be compensated in a third world country for violation of his human rights is in a way indicative of that arrogance and condescension).

thilak4life
20th February 2009, 03:20 PM
Nerd,
When I say that the scene confirms to the happenings at that point, this is what I meant: Jamal's survival as a tour guide depends entirely on the gullibility of the tourists. It is also this gullibility that adds humour to that part of the story arc. So, the American couple's offer of money fits this general depiction of tourists. Viewers might find the scene funny precisely because they know that the arrogant 'this is American' nature of the couple is being exploited (the perspective that even a thief needs to be compensated in a third world country for violation of his human rights is in a way indicative of that arrogance and condescension).

:thumbsup:

ajithfederer
23rd February 2009, 09:27 AM
ARR :clap: :clap: :clap:

P_R
23rd February 2009, 09:28 AM
^&^(&%*%%((%
:victory: :victory:

advani
23rd February 2009, 04:15 PM
My congrats to AR Rahman for becoming the first Indian to win the Oscars!!!

You made it, ARR!!! Bravo!!!

VENKIRAJA
23rd February 2009, 04:19 PM
My congrats to AR Rahman for becoming the first Indian to win the Oscars!!!

You made it, ARR!!! Bravo!!!

:notthatway:
Sathyajit Ray had won an Oscar for lietime achievement. Banu Athaiyya is the first Indian to win the Oscars. ARR was the third I think.

Nerd
3rd April 2009, 09:16 PM
Slumdog Blu-Ray is out. Watching (listening to) O saya on a Blu-Ray print in a 1080p, 50+" LCd TV will be quite an experience :cool2:

VENKIRAJA
4th April 2009, 11:46 PM
Slumdog Blu-Ray is out. Watching (listening to) O saya on a Blu-Ray print in a 1080p, 50+" LCd TV will be quite an experience :cool2:

WOW! :bluejump:

Surya
20th April 2009, 12:05 PM
I personally thot that this movie is seriously over hyped. I mean..it's a good movie and all, and i'm happy that india is getting the recognition, but this movie is soo overhyped. I mean, when movies like Rang De Basanthi didn't even get 1/4th the recognition that this did...it just feels like a lot of hype and hoopla.