PDA

View Full Version : Learn a Sanskrit word / sentence a day

happyindian
10th January 2005, 08:40 AM
Hi,

This thread is solely meant for those who whould like to learn a Sanskrit word or sentence a day.

Let me start with 5 simple sentences to get the ball rolling (though I know only a fair smattering of the language and hope am not wrong below). An earnest request to those who are good in Sanskrit: Please come forward and help those who wish learn this language on FH.

1) Tvam kim karishyasi? - What are you doing?
[Tvam = you,
kim = what,
karish-yasi = doing]

2) Aham Kridasmi - I am playing.
[Aham = I,
Kridasmi = playing (Krida = play, asmi = doing, so Kridasmi means 'doing play' or playing)]

3) Idam Udyanam - This is a garden.
[Idam = This,
Udyanam = Garden]. The same usage 'Idam' can be used for anything with a masculine conjugation (referring to male of any species) like say,
Idam singaha = This is a Lion, Idam Shukaha = This is a Parrot.

4) Athra stitva tvam kimarthamevam aaroshasi? - Why are you sitting there and crying?
[Athra = there,
Sthithva = stationed / sitting,
tvam = you,
Kimarthamevam (pronounced Kim-artha-may-vam) = for what reason (kim = what, artha = reason, may-vam = usage prefix meaning 'for'),
AaRoshyasi = crying (Aaruta = cry, Aaroshyasi = crying)]

5) Balika parameshwaram abhyarchati - The girl is praying (to) the God.
[Balika = girl,
Parameshwaram = God (Param = supreme, Eeshwaram = God). Also means, God outside us - since God can be within us too, thus to differentiate b/w the two & mean the God outside us the prefix Param is used (I think?),
abhyarchati (pronounced Abh-yaR-chathi) = worshipping / praying / .

Everywhere 'a' is used as in Amritsar, Arnab, etc unless indicated so. For those who follow the devanagari script, pl note that I am using
T to mean ट, Th to mean त, Thh to mean थ and Tha to mean ठ.

This is a nice link to Sanskrit learning tools: http://sanskrit.gde.to/learning_tools/learning_tools.html
We can clear each other's doubts here in this thread.

Raghu
10th January 2005, 10:17 PM
Happy Indian,

Great Topic dude, :D

let me start with some things I know

1) Kala - Kalam - Time
2) Yuga - Yugam -??
3) Athma - Soul
4) Paramathma - Ultimate Soul
5) Dharma - Dharmam-Generousity
6) Karma - Karmam - Activity
7) Genma - Genmam -??
8) Yuth - Yutham - War
9) Puthr - Puthiran - son

thanks to bhavad Gita, I may be able to post more here, pls do continue this thread. 8) 8)

Raghu
11th January 2005, 04:29 PM
Happy Indian,

Is not 'Gatham gatham' a sanskrit, word?

visu
16th January 2005, 01:09 PM
om krim krim

happyindian
26th January 2005, 02:22 PM
No Raghu, I don't think "Gatham Gatham" is a Sanskrit word. Guess Rajinikanth mixed up some Hindi there. Gatham means a long story. Maybe he wanted to say "Khatam Gatham" (meaning, finished story). Or perhaps I didn't get it right.

Dharma is also used to mean Righteousness, Duty and Religion.

Karma ofcourse is also accumulative deeds over births.

Janma is birth, Punarjanma is rebirth, poorvajanma is previous birth.

Puthiran is Tamil. Putra or Putram is Sanskrit.

Yutham is Tamil. Yudham is sanskrit.

Some Sansrit proverbs for some new sentences:

1) Arthohi lokeshe bandhu.
Arth, Artha = wealth, Arthohi = it is wealth / only wealth
Loka = world, Lokeshe = of the world.
Bandhu = friend.
The proverb thus means, Only wealth is a friend in this world.

2) Ambuno bindurLpoApi shuKttou muktafalam bhavet.
Ambuno = in a shell
bindu = drop
Api = water
BindurLpoApi (pronounced bindurl-Po-Api) = drop of water goes
Shuktou = touches
Muktafalam = Pearl, Mukta = Oyster so Muktafalam is fruit of the Oyster.
Bhavet = happens / becomes.
Meaning of the proverb:
Even a drop of water that falls into a shell can be turned into a pearl.

3) Ayamparo gandasyopari sfotaha.
Ayamparo = in multitudes
gandam = trouble, gandasyopari = many troubles come
sfotaha = it comes on.
Meaning of the proverb:
When troubles come, they come in multitudes.

4) AvyavashKteha samudaayashKtiRbaliyasi
Meaning of the proverb: The strength of a created thing is greater than its components.
AvyavashKteha (pronounced Avya-vashk-te-hA) meaning, many things that combine together, Avya = many.
SamudaayashKtiRbaliyasi (pronounced Samudaaya-yashktir-bali-yasi) bali = strength, asi= it is.

5) Chalam chalaanubandhi syath.
Chalam = a wrong deed / sin / cunning deed.
Chalaa-nu-bandhi = to cover a sin
Syath = another / to do over and over again.
Meaning of the proverb:
To cover a sin, another sin is committed.

Raghu, perhaps v cud keep this thread moving but generally, the response is poor - guess not many want 2 b bothered 2 learn Sanskrit :o Ciao.

Bad Boy
26th January 2005, 04:07 PM
1) Tvam kim karishyasi? - What are you doing?
[Tvam = you,
kim = what,
karish-yasi = doing]
nI enna cheykiRAy? you - what - doing

2) Aham Kridasmi - I am playing.
[Aham = I,
Kridasmi = playing (Krida = play, asmi = doing, so Kridasmi means 'doing play' or playing)]
Naan viLaiyAduREn I - playing

3) Idam Udyanam - This is a garden.
[Idam = This,
Udyanam = Garden]. The same usage 'Idam' can be used for anything with a masculine conjugation (referring to male of any species) like say,
Idam singaha = This is a Lion, Idam Shukaha = This is a Parrot.
ithu thOttam this garden. ithu oru thOttam this is a garden intha thOttam this - garden

4) Athra stitva tvam kimarthamevam aaroshasi? - Why are you sitting there and crying?
[Athra = there,
Sthithva = stationed / sitting,
tvam = you,
Kimarthamevam (pronounced Kim-artha-may-vam) = for what reason (kim = what, artha = reason, may-vam = usage prefix meaning 'for'),
AaRoshyasi = crying (Aaruta = cry, Aaroshyasi = crying)]
angE irunthu nI En azukiRAy/karaikiRAy? from there - sitting/standing/being - you - why - crying? cry and karaithal: is there a relation?

5) Balika parameshwaram abhyarchati - The girl is praying (to) the God.
[Balika = girl,
Parameshwaram = God (Param = supreme, Eeshwaram = God). Also means, God outside us - since God can be within us too, thus to differentiate b/w the two & mean the God outside us the prefix Param is used (I think?),
abhyarchati (pronounced Abh-yaR-chathi) = worshipping / praying / .

Raghu
26th January 2005, 07:14 PM
Happy Indian,

Pls Pls do keep this thread Going, I beg you, I am really keen on sanskrit.

Ok, coming to the point, I feel Hindi/Urudu and Telugu has more sanskrit words than say Tamil / Malayalam, what are your views?

Bad boy

The picture of your avatar shows the simalirty between two evil people on earth :cry: :cry:

Bad Boy
26th January 2005, 10:31 PM
Bad boy
The picture of your avatar shows the simalirty between two evil people on earth :cry: :cry:
As long as the Yankees don't ban this forum it is ok to compare both the evils. This the freedom of free speech!

When 4x I say in the bush there is hole will someone be offended? :huh:

happyindian
27th January 2005, 07:12 AM
Bad Boy,

This is a great way to learn.

Please-Please continue posting the translations in Tamizh. We can then learn 2 languages at the same time :-)

Raghu, yes Kannada & Telugu are the only south indian languages with more Sanskrit and less old Tamizh in them (abt 60% Sanskrit, Prakrit, Pali). Malayalam has more old Tamizh and less Sanskrit in it (abt 40%). Urdu is from an entirely a different stream. Urdu is Arabic + Hindi. [But Hindi too has many Sanskrit words....And Sanskrit itself is raher similar to Persian, Avestan...)

And yes, plz forgive me if I hurt anyone's sentiments by saying that Sanskrit has more dravidian in it than anything else. I know I am going to invite a lot of bashing for that, but there are other threads reserved for that. In this thread let us please focus only on learning the languages.

Raghu
27th January 2005, 09:09 PM
Bad Boy,

Raghu, yes Kannada & Telugu are the only south indian languages with more Sanskrit and less old Tamizh in them (abt 60% Sanskrit, Prakrit, Pali). Malayalam has more old Tamizh and less Sanskrit in it (abt 40%). Urdu is from an entirely a different stream. Urdu is Arabic + Hindi. [But Hindi too has many Sanskrit words....And Sanskrit itself is raher similar to Persian, Avestan...)

And yes, plz forgive me if I hurt anyone's sentiments by saying that Sanskrit has more dravidian in it than anything else. I know I am going to invite a lot of bashing for that, but there are other threads reserved for that. In this thread let us please focus only on learning the languages.

You have not hurt any one, but stated the facts :thumbsup:

here are more sanskrit words

1) Asura - in Tamil, it is asuran,in english Devil
2) Ugra -Ugram in tamil , difficult or very difficult in English

mandangi
24th February 2005, 09:00 AM
-deleted-

Raghu
24th February 2005, 08:26 PM
Sloga - Slogan

Loga - Logam in Tamizh