PDA

View Full Version : Horror flicks

Pages : [1] 2

RehmanFan
20th November 2008, 09:58 AM
Anyone watched [REC] ?

I watched this movie in its original(spanish) version.
I never felt this scared for any movie before(I've watched only 6-7 english horror movies so far).
But no movie did constantly send shudders down my spine through out

The camerawork work was brilliant. I felt like as if I were in the spot and witnessing everything.

Worth a watch for sure!

Sid_316
20th November 2008, 01:35 PM
Heard lot about it .. will watch it soon!

inetk
2nd December 2008, 07:01 PM
I saw it recently, after coming to know that a far-inferior American remake (Quarantine) has just released. I was sure that the Spanish version will be superior and it was.

REC is one of the best horror films I've seen in recent times, along with another Spanish horror tele-film, "Para entrar a vivir" (Or, 'To let').

Its a very short film - below 75 minutes and even starts kinda slow. But it builds up into one utter horror-fest and even I, having seen a LOT of non-Hollywood (Spanish/ Korean/ Japanese/ Thai) horror films, was quite scared of watching the screen. That is total paisa vasool for me!

littlemaster1982
16th March 2009, 08:27 PM
A handheld camera, 15 actors, no background score. Result, a terrific horror film.

The film takes its time to set in. After that, the scares induced by this film is unbeliavable.

Highly recommended :thumbsup:

viraajan
16th March 2009, 08:33 PM
LM, torrent link pls... i searched it in mininova.... not found :oops:

:shaking: paathe theeruven :shaking:

viraajan
16th March 2009, 08:35 PM
Got it LM :redjump:

littlemaster1982
16th March 2009, 08:37 PM
VR,

Night time-la paarunga. Effect will be doubled ;)

viraajan
16th March 2009, 08:38 PM
VR,

aahnn... depanitely...depanitely... :shaking:

ajithfederer
16th March 2009, 08:40 PM
LM, link please.

littlemaster1982
16th March 2009, 08:45 PM
AF,

I'm in office now :oops: Will PM you tommorrow.

thamizhvaanan
16th March 2009, 09:00 PM
VR,

Watch it in night alone like I did... :thumbsup:

Friends kooda serndhu paatha sila scene paathu sirichiduvom :lol2:

littlemaster1982
16th March 2009, 09:01 PM
Naan friends koodathan paarthen. Sirikkara maadhiri edhuvum illaiye :?

thamizhvaanan
16th March 2009, 09:02 PM
ohh.. adhu kooda irukra aalungala poruthu :P

viraajan
16th March 2009, 09:32 PM
VR,

TV, "andha" madiri scenes yedhuvum irukka? :oops:

Ramakrishna
16th March 2009, 09:33 PM
link pls master :redjump:

littlemaster1982
16th March 2009, 11:19 PM
VR,

NO.

jaaze
16th March 2009, 11:31 PM
"andha" refers to really horrifying scenes or " :oops: " scenes themselves :?

thamizhvaanan
16th March 2009, 11:37 PM
VR,

NO.

Enna ipdi solliputeenga.. Ramakrishna aarvathoda gudhichadhellam veena pochey :lol2:

Ramakrishna
16th March 2009, 11:41 PM
VR,

NO.

Enna ipdi solliputeenga.. Ramakrishna aarvathoda gudhichadhellam veena pochey :lol2:

:twisted: :shhh: :lol2:

Ramakrishna
17th March 2009, 04:10 PM
Saw the movie...Good one.

I can't say it was scary, but was definitely thrilling, especially the last few minutes.

viraajan
19th March 2009, 10:33 PM
:shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking:

Oh my god...

Watched Rec...

:cry3:

Innikku night naan thoongina madiri thaan :shaking:

Even now my heart beat is heavy... :shaking:

What the f.............

Last few mins, my heart beats went high.. Such a horror movie... One of the best horror movies I've ever seen... :shaking:

Thank you so much for recommending this movie...

This is what my reaction now: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :Cry3: :cry3: :cry3:

thamizhvaanan
19th March 2009, 10:56 PM
Saw the movie...Good one.

I can't say it was scary, but was definitely thrilling, especially the last few minutes.

"andha" madhiri scenes edhir paathuttey paatha apdi thaan irukkum :lol2:

P_R
20th March 2009, 12:28 AM
Just finished it
Quite thigil
konjam overdose...so got bugging after a while

indha Gen Next horror films with their gore is too yucky

enna irundhaalum Blairwitch maadhiri varaadhu

crajkumar_be
20th March 2009, 01:13 AM
:exactly: aana naan rekamandesan panni pathavainga ellam, "idhula ennada irukku" nu kekkarainga!

Blairwitch, Exorcist, Evildeck (chinna vayasula appadi thaan solluvom) - :thumbsup:

thamizhvaanan
20th March 2009, 02:51 AM

yeah it was... kinda lost interest in the survival of the leads towards the end.. but thats we all know how a horror movie ends.. so that was not surprising.

I was more impressed by some of the technical stuff they pulled off.. being projected as live camera they don't have the luxury of cuts. Wonder how they managed to put on the bite wound makeup and blood spills without any loss of continuity while recording. People who have seen the movie will know what I am talking abt.

viraajan
20th March 2009, 10:40 AM
Just finished it
Quite thigil

Adhaiyum paathura vendiyadhu thaan... :yes:

VENKIRAJA
20th March 2009, 11:34 AM
:exactly: aana naan rekamandesan panni pathavainga ellam, "idhula ennada irukku" nu kekkarainga!

Blairwitch, Exorcist, Evildeck (chinna vayasula appadi thaan solluvom) - :thumbsup:

:confused2:
ulaga magaa mokkai. :|

From my limited knowledge, Shutter (Original Thai version) is the best horror movie I've seen. The climax is awesome! :redjump:

thamizhvaanan
20th March 2009, 08:02 PM

ulaga magaa mokkai. :|

From my limited knowledge, Shutter (Original Thai version) is the best horror movie I've seen. The climax is awesome! :redjump:

Shutter was strictly OK if you can tolerate the squeaky accent with which they speak thai.

directhit
20th March 2009, 08:06 PM
a dracula kinda movie :| except for one or max two scenes not scary :? rembba expectation vachutten pola

Ramakrishna
20th March 2009, 08:24 PM
a dracula kinda movie :| except for one or max two scenes not scary :? rembba expectation vachutten pola
yes, same here....Bayangara expectations.

Nerd
20th March 2009, 08:36 PM
:exactly:
:yes: :yes: Thats the only film which *really* scared me. Night thoonga mudila after watching it. Others, effect irukkum, only for 10-15 minutes. Most horror films give us creeps mainly through the BGM and some spooky visuals. Blairwitch-la onniyum kidaiyAdhu, aanaa :shaking: And when I watched it for the first time, I thought all of it was real.

P_R
20th March 2009, 11:10 PM
The lovely part is intiially they get some urban legends about the Blair Witch which they (and we) are dismissive of. Then later in the movie they experience something pretty close and it becomes imperative to recall what one of the village folk said and nobody (including us) recalls completely. That was damn scary.

thamizhvaanan
21st March 2009, 02:06 AM
Just finished it
Quite thigil

watching it now alone.. while staying in a squeaky creepy old english house.. :lol2:

viraajan
22nd March 2009, 07:41 PM
Just finished it
Quite thigil

watching it now alone.. while staying in a squeaky creepy old english house.. :lol2:

how was it?

are you ok now? :lol:

I'm gonna watch it by this weekend. got the link to d/l :cool:

bingleguy
23rd March 2009, 09:51 AM
THE THING

Though the movie had a late recognition... today after twenty years ... the movie is known for its brilliant effects of the thing.... marvelous portrayal of visual gimmicks ... and ofcourse the theme ... am not sure if anybody is planning for a sequel for this movie .... this came in during the time when Aliens was on the peak... tat time ppl did not realize best things of the movie !!!

viraajan
23rd March 2009, 10:42 PM
Mods,

Can you please change the title of this thread :?

Something like "Last horror flick that scared you to death", "Last horror flick that made you post here" etc etc :oops:

thamizhvaanan
23rd March 2009, 11:22 PM
Just finished it
Quite thigil

how was it?

are you ok now? :lol:

I'm gonna watch it by this weekend. got the link to d/l :cool:

It was creepy, but I was consciously trying to keep my head straight, not to be carried away and get scared.. its just a film its just a film like that. So you cant get a honest experience from me.

Ideally I watch horror films with an intent to be scared (chair'a irukki pidichikutu naan bayapada maatenu kanganam kattikitu padam paakradhula enna payan) but this time I was too scared to be scared.. especially since the first day I stepped into this house, the whole environment evokes memories of horror movies.

On the other hand, this movie does suffer from the eternal bane of horror films... you can only keep the suspense and x factor for so long. At some point of time you have to introduce the ghost and when you do that and try to make it more scary with makeup n special effects gimmicks, it becomes laugh stock (especially when you have watched all 4 scary movie sequels) you just cant keep the scare curve up all the time. This film totally avoids the latter n relies on building up the tension, but I felt it got tiring after a point.

One film which managed to get scarier and creepier as the film progressed was "The Shining". A must watch!!

P_R
23rd March 2009, 11:26 PM
since the first day I stepped into this house elaborations ...

VENKIRAJA
23rd March 2009, 11:44 PM
Blair witch pArthadhukku nAn pEsAma andha mAthiri padam onnu pArthirukkalAmnu thOnuchu, Seriously.

Shining is Kubrick stuff. Class! :smokesmirk:

thamizhvaanan
24th March 2009, 05:10 AM
since the first day I stepped into this house elaborations ...

I came... I saw.. I got scared

Avlo thaan

viraajan
29th March 2009, 09:15 PM
Watched Blair Witch today.

:fatigue: :fatigue:

A horror movie which is totally devoid of any horror scenes :huh:

Just a few scenes made me sit up... rest of which :fatigue:

I started watching this with high expectations. I thought I'll be scared to death. Rec was n times better :shaking:

The expectations were high coz I was watching it after the scarier REC. But disappointed :cry3:

PR, TV, Venki and all, how about "The Shining"? I'm gonna watch it by next week. :smokesmirk: :shaking:

P_R
29th March 2009, 09:57 PM
A horror movie which it totally devoid of any horror scenes :huh:
That was exactly the point. No gory spooky characters. Fear of the unknown at its very best.

PR, TV, Venki and all, how about "The Shining"? I'm gonna watch it by next week. :smokesmirk: :shaking: Scary till the very end.Quite a rarity in the genre. In terms of overall scare-factor I personally put it below BlairWitch.

viraajan
29th March 2009, 10:16 PM
A horror movie which is totally devoid of any horror scenes :huh:
That was exactly the point. No gory spooky characters. Fear of the unknown at its very best.

Hmmm... Yes. no such characters. May be, in that view, that's a good movie. But still what I expected was scary scenes and sounds and of course I wanted the mystery to be revealed. :D :( :|

PR, TV, Venki and all, how about "The Shining"? I'm gonna watch it by next week. :smokesmirk: :shaking:
1. Scary till the very end.Quite a rarity in the genre.
2. In terms of overall scare-factor I personally put it below BlairWitch.

1. :redjump:
2. :|

:ty: PR

Ramakrishna
29th March 2009, 11:40 PM
Recently, i saw a horror movie called '1408' on a tv channel. I found it quite thrilling and entertaining . Has anybody else seen that movie?

VENKIRAJA
29th March 2009, 11:42 PM

ennaya 'PR and all' gurup-ula ellAm sErkAtheengO... Shining's director was Stanley Kubrick who happens to be my most favorite director. The movies is basically an adaptation of the book by the same name by Stephen King. Jack Nicholson is terrifying in the movie. The lady who comes as his wife, and his on have disturbing faces. Cinematography, Music and performances are top notch. The movie is an epitome of modern horror flicks. And it is not the normal types.

BTW watched Mel Brooks' Dracula (1995) Quite boring at parts, mathabadi nallA naiyANdi paNNiyirupAru. For those who are not informed, it is a spoof. :lol:

thamizhvaanan
30th March 2009, 03:05 AM

ennaya 'PR and all' gurup-ula ellAm sErkAtheengO... VR, naanum PR n all group ila... avaru range vera..

Like Andy flower said, there is PR and then there are other hubbers :lol2:

directhit
30th March 2009, 06:31 AM
Recently, i saw a horror movie called '1408' on a tv channel. I found it quite thrilling and entertaining . Has anybody else seen that movie? :D had seen it abt a year back, a good movie - much scarier than the 'REC'

'Shining' was v.good as well

bingleguy
30th March 2009, 09:33 AM
Recently, i saw a horror movie called '1408' on a tv channel. I found it quite thrilling and entertaining . Has anybody else seen that movie? :D had seen it abt a year back, a good movie - much scarier than the 'REC'

'Shining' was v.good as well

ys it is :-) tat too the movie was aired at 23:15 ;-) a scarier time too ... Interesting movie n good delivery by Sam Jackson ......Jackson

P_R
30th March 2009, 09:49 AM
TV, Venki.. remind me of GM's dialogue in the Chinnathambi nightblindness comedy scene
"hayyO ellArum romba pugazharaangaLE... ennikku sikkittu sinnAbinnam aagappOrEnO !"

Venki, the movie you are referring to is the one where Leslier Nielsen comes isn't it (Dracula Dead and Loving it). Absolutely hilarious. The scene where Leslie Nielsen commands through hypnosis to wake up the girl and the maid rises, the last-word duel between Nielsen and Brooks, the doctor's only medication - enema ("Should I give him an enema and put him in a straitjacket.... or better still put him in a straitjacket and then give him an enema")
andha kaalathula paathadhu..

crajkumar_be
30th March 2009, 10:01 AM

If this is not scary i don't know what is. Evvalavu neram dhaan tension-a maintain pannitte irukkaradhu... this film does it..Gore and goo, sound props, may be "entertaining" and all, but concept-e scary-a, ennamo namma irukkara madhiri irukkum, Blaiwwitch la..
aana horror-um comedy madhiri, either you laugh/get spooked or you dont.. Unlike other genres, i dont think retrials/marupariseelanai work...

viraajan
30th March 2009, 11:24 AM
TV, Venki, :lol:

PR :lol: (pAthukkangapA, PR post'ku thaniyA than LOL pOturukkEn. unga kooda sEkkala ;) )

1408? :cool: Adhaiyum d/l pannida vEndiyadhu thAn ;)

Thanks for the comments. Will watch Shining and let you know about it. :)

viraajan
30th March 2009, 11:29 AM

If this is not scary i don't know what is. Evvalavu neram dhaan tension-a maintain pannitte irukkaradhu... this film does it..Gore and goo, sound props, may be "entertaining" and all, but concept-e scary-a, ennamo namma irukkara madhiri irukkum, Blaiwwitch la..
aana horror-um comedy madhiri, either you laugh/get spooked or you dont.. Unlike other genres, i dont think retrials/marupariseelanai work...

Not only in BW, also in REC, naama irukkara madiri thaan irukkum. andha vidhathula both the movies are good. But, scary scenes'a konjama irundhadhu. ivanga moonu pErum oruthara mAthi oruthar "f" nu thittitE irundhAnga (nAn bayandhuttEn :shaking: :lol: )...

Rec had the combination of both. Looked as if things are happening live and it had scary scenes as well. So Rec is ahead of BW in my list :)

Ramakrishna
30th March 2009, 04:56 PM
Then there is another movie called 'The Others'
which is also quite good in my opinion. Again this film doesn't have any gory scenes but the scariness, suspense are all maintained pretty well.
This film is pretty similar to another famous movie but if i reveal the name of that movie, the suspense will be known.

bingleguy
30th March 2009, 04:58 PM
Then there is another movie called 'The Others'
which is also quite good in my opinion. Again this film doesn't have any gory scenes but the scariness, suspense are all maintained pretty well.
This film is pretty similar to another famous movie but if i reveal the name of that movie, the suspense will be known.

:redjump::redjump::redjump::redjump::redjump::redj ump:
awesome movie .... naan vAngi vachirukken ... :-) gonna watch that movie for the FIFTH time :-) hehehe ....

sollAdheengO :-) tat movie has to be seen :-)

viraajan
30th March 2009, 05:01 PM
Oh... Thanks RK and BG :bow:

Will watch that too... :redjump:

VENKIRAJA
30th March 2009, 05:05 PM
Shutter (Thai version) pArunga. sambradhAyamAna Horror movie, but impressed me very much. neraiyA pEru waste-nu sollitAinga. But, it is very good, atleast for me. :P

viraajan
30th March 2009, 05:07 PM
:ty: Venki.....

Will watch that too.... adEngappa.. neraya horror movies irukku pola... :shock:

bingleguy
30th March 2009, 05:11 PM
Shutter (Thai version) pArunga. sambradhAyamAna Horror movie, but impressed me very much. neraiyA pEru waste-nu sollitAinga. But, it is very good, atleast for me. :P

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
andha padathai thamizh la first pAthuttEn :-) adukku apram english la pAkka pudikkave illa :rotfl:

bingleguy
30th March 2009, 07:12 PM
but as such too very emotional touch in the movie proves that to be an Asian :-) its a good movie though .... Rachael Taylor did an excellent job .... :clap:

the movie in tamil was like literally killing the actual essence of the movie .... the director gave a stupid stunt dialogue "i was young n stupid" for the reason why everything happened :banghead: somehow i am not able to digest the say - youth are stupid !

Ramakrishna
30th March 2009, 07:29 PM
but as such too very emotional touch in the movie proves that to be an Asian :-) its a good movie though .... Rachael Taylor did an excellent job .... :clap:

the movie in tamil was like literally killing the actual essence of the movie .... the director gave a stupid stunt dialogue "i was young n stupid" for the reason why everything happened :banghead: somehow i am not able to digest the say - youth are stupid !

Sivi thaane? naduvula Chitti babu comedy track vera :lol2:

Horror padamnu sollittu Comedy track vekkaraanga :rotfl:

Nerd
30th March 2009, 07:33 PM
Sining ellAm padam illai paadam (on film-making - Cinematography, acting, camera techniques, direction esra esra)

Ramakrishna
30th March 2009, 07:35 PM
Sining ellAm padam illai paadam (on film-making - Cinematography, acting, camera techniques, direction esra esra)

Mindla vechikkaren

bingleguy
30th March 2009, 07:38 PM

ada en pAvam solliteenga :lol: pAthavanga indha padathai pAkka mAttAnga ;-) enna mAdiri :P
namma makkalukku ellathulayum oru masala thevai :-)

ellathaiyum vida padathoda title en appadi vechar nnu director climax la solradhu :2thumbsup:

:rotfl: super padam ;-)

bingleguy
30th March 2009, 07:39 PM

its a book if i remember correctly ! "The Shining" right !

thamizhvaanan
30th March 2009, 07:41 PM

:yes:

Mostly when the ghost makes an appearance I lose all scares that I accumulated during that movie... almost all of their ghostly gimmicks cracks me up. Watching countless spoof movies does have its benefits :cool:

On a similar note, I missed out on being impressed by one of the highly recommended films - Ring. I had seen Scary movie 3 before I saw Ring. Almost all of the spooky scenes felt funny to me... it was all replicated, frame by frame in scary movie 3 :lol:

Ramakrishna
30th March 2009, 07:41 PM

ada en pAvam solliteenga :lol: pAthavanga indha padathai pAkka mAttAnga ;-) enna mAdiri :P
namma makkalukku ellathulayum oru masala thevai :-)

ellathaiyum vida padathoda title en appadi vechar nnu director climax la solradhu :2thumbsup:

:rotfl: super padam ;-)

But the original Thai version was pretty engrossing.

thamizhvaanan
30th March 2009, 07:46 PM

Shutter ellaam rejected.. it was scary in parts. Avlo thaan...

Coming back to REC, one of the most terrifying techniques they employed (in the last scene) is letting the victims out alone in the darkness at the mercy of the Ghost, where you are totally clueless and scared... very effective!!

This technique was very effective (and much more thrilling) in the climax of Silence of Lambs. It is a must watch :thumbsup: eventhough it is not a horror movie.

Similar stuff was also done in Grudge where the lead character looks up in the attic in total darkness. But the best part of that film was the ghost crawling down the stairs in climax. Matha badi grudge is a sothai padam!

Nerd
30th March 2009, 07:48 PM

Yes. Stephen King's novel. Apparently King did not like the film and in fact Kubrick (the director) was given a Razzie award for that film. Sacrilege :twisted:

Ramakrishna
30th March 2009, 07:49 PM

Yes. Stephen King's novel. Apparently King did not like the film and in fact Kubrick (the director) was given a Razzie award for that film. Sacrilege :twisted:

Stephen King avlo periya writer-aa enna? He was the one who wrote '1408' also i guess

bingleguy
30th March 2009, 07:55 PM
Stephen King is known for his terrifying Horror Fictions :-)

Thinner is also his work ... am not sure about 1408 :roll:

VENKIRAJA
30th March 2009, 08:56 PM

Stephen King avlo periya writer-aa enna? He was the one who wrote '1408' also i guess

He wrote 3 books which I watched, I mean were adapted:
Shawshank Redemption,
Green Mile,
The Shining.
periya writer-A illayA-nu ellAm kavalapaduRathilla. pArthuttu pOikittE irukka vENdiyathu thAn.

Ramakrishna
30th March 2009, 09:49 PM

He wrote 3 books which I watched, I mean were adapted:
Shawshank Redemption,
Green Mile,
The Shining.
periya writer-A illayA-nu ellAm kavalapaduRathilla. pArthuttu pOikittE irukka vENdiyathu thAn.

All good movies...Appo periya aalthaannu sollunga

ajithfederer
30th March 2009, 10:01 PM
Thanks to Nerd's recommendation and an ex room-mate who found shining with a DVD print I watched the movie more than a year ago. The Shining is indeed a cult classic in terms of all aspects of film making. The kid's acting is too great. Lots of symbolisms throughout the movie. The movie may be slow paced but it sets into pace at the right time. Must watch.

crajkumar_be
30th March 2009, 10:09 PM
but not to be seen as a "horror" movie, IMO....

Ramakrishna
30th March 2009, 10:29 PM

Mystery?

ajithfederer
30th March 2009, 11:11 PM
:oops:
Yes.

VENKIRAJA
30th March 2009, 11:17 PM

Mystery?

:yes:
Kubrick.. chance-a illa 2 second thAn climax!

crajkumar_be
30th March 2009, 11:18 PM

Mystery?
mmm, appadiyum sollalaam.. :razz: Actually solla therila..
Andha opening sequence and music-kaagave padatha ethana thadava venumnaalum pakkalaam... Not to mention that look of Jack Nicholson.

Has anyone seen the Indian "remake" Vaasthu Shastra? :lol:

ajithfederer
30th March 2009, 11:20 PM
Me yaa :lol:.

Has anyone seen the Indian "remake" Vaasthu Shastra? :lol:

Nerd
30th March 2009, 11:24 PM
Andha opening sequence :clap: 1980 was the year!! Not surprising coming from Kubrick who made 2001: a space odessey in the 60s.

crajkumar_be
30th March 2009, 11:26 PM
And Kubrick padam "purila" nu kavalaye pada vendaam, let that not come in the way of enjoying it (atleast i dont). If you have the patient and if it intrigues, nothing like it. Cinema 'visual' medium nu aanithanama valiyuruthum avar padangal...

complicateur
30th March 2009, 11:33 PM
I don't know if anyone had a chance to watch the Kubrick's boxes documentary link I posted sometime back. A posthumous peek into the great man's mind.

crajkumar_be
30th March 2009, 11:36 PM
I don't know if anyone had a chance to watch the Kubrick's boxes documentary link I posted sometime back. A posthumous peek into the great man's mind.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5739282975440441779

Stanley Kubrick's Boxes

Just checked compli, link seems to be broken

complicateur
30th March 2009, 11:40 PM
ithukku thAn nAn mummuramA download paNNikitEn. I believe they might have been forced to take it off - too bad. It shows how much obsessive research the man did to make a movie, mind-boggling to say the least. Quite the epitome of 'uncompromising artistry'.

crajkumar_be
30th March 2009, 11:53 PM
ithukku thAn nAn mummuramA download paNNikitEn. Let me check the link again.
Of late, my memory (medium term) is so f-ed up, i've been trying to ascertain if i've already watched some movies or not - infact 2 weeks back i rented "Husbands and wives" DVD only to realize that i had already watched it!! Kubrick documentary is one of them (or am i thinking of a DVD companion feature or something) :( :oops:

complicateur
30th March 2009, 11:58 PM
Let me see if I can jog your memory. The video I posted had details of rooms and rooms of cardboard boxes filled with stuff that Kubrick used as research for his movies. Of course examining those boxes showed how much detailing he went into once he had a concept in mind. Among other things it had details of an abandoned WW2 movie, pictures of like 100's of gates so that he could pick the right gate for the house in Eyes Wide Shut etc...

viraajan
31st March 2009, 02:25 PM
And, another minus point (I felt so) in Blair Witch was, in the title card itself, the text "3 students disappeared in 1994" appears. So I was watching the movie only to know how they disappear.

But while watching Rec, till the last minute I had hopes that Pabalo and the girl would be rescued. When the attic was opened, I thought they would escape. But soon after few seconds the scariest scene came :shaking: :thumbsup:

crajkumar_be
31st March 2009, 02:33 PM
Thanks compli, got it.. naan paathadhu "Kubrick:Life In Pictures" or something

complicateur
31st March 2009, 08:30 PM
Ah yes! Own that on DVD as well. That came as part of a Box set with 7 or 8 Kubrick films. The one I was talking about was a BBC documentary.

viraajan
19th April 2009, 10:42 AM
Watched The Others... :thumbsup:

What a movie... :shaking:

Had many frightening moments.... :clap:

Thoroughly enjoyed this movie... :2thumbsup: :redjump:

Kindly suggest this kinda movie with frightening moments :shaking: :boo:

Watched, "The Shining" - I'm sorry that I had to :fatigue:

VENKIRAJA
19th April 2009, 11:20 AM

It is a rare type of a movie. You can never find a horror movie with such details and explanations about the antagonist. The scene where Nicholson :evil: is a testimony. It is the perfect prototype for today's horror movies- Haunted mansion, Spooky characters, etc.
http://hollywoodbala.blogspot.com/2009/03/shining-1980.html

Surya
20th April 2009, 12:38 PM
I saw this movie a couple weeks ago called "The Devil's Rejects" :shock:

It's not scary, but worth a watch.

viraajan
20th April 2009, 12:46 PM

It is a rare type of a movie. You can never find a horror movie with such details and explanations about the antagonist. The scene where Nicholson :evil: is a testimony. It is the perfect prototype for today's horror movies- Haunted mansion, Spooky characters, etc.
http://hollywoodbala.blogspot.com/2009/03/shining-1980.html

:shock:

:roll: oru vElai en pArvaila edhum kolAra? :oops:

except one or two scenes, i was not at all scared :huh:

Very slow movie :?

Thanks Venki :)

"The others" was excellent!!!

bingleguy
20th April 2009, 02:22 PM
:shaking: am gonna watch Wrong Turn today :shaking:

VENKIRAJA
20th April 2009, 07:19 PM
I saw this movie a couple weeks ago called "The Devil's Rejects" :shock:

It's not scary, but worth a watch.

//dig.
WB Surya... In SRMC? Where were you!//

Surya
20th April 2009, 07:31 PM
Yup...I'm here until xams are over. :)

VENKIRAJA
22nd April 2009, 02:53 PM
Yup...I'm here until xams are over. :)

//dig.
:shock: You mean to say your 5 years are over...? nAn mattum En innum 2nd year-layE irukkEn! :cry2: //

Surya
22nd April 2009, 05:29 PM
naanum innum 2nd yearle thaan irukean. :cry:

bingleguy
22nd April 2009, 05:53 PM
gonna watch MIRRORS today :shaking:

avven
22nd April 2009, 07:11 PM

it wont be very scary but we can watch it once :D

bingleguy
22nd April 2009, 07:13 PM

oh appadiyA :rant: ennOda friend scary aa irukkum nnu sonnAnE ... first scene pAthen ... i kinda predicted what he would do next :P :lol: appo pesAma Wrong Turn pAkkarEn ;-)

avven
22nd April 2009, 07:24 PM

oh appadiyA :rant: ennOda friend scary aa irukkum nnu sonnAnE ... first scene pAthen ... i kinda predicted what he would do next :P :lol: appo pesAma Wrong Turn pAkkarEn ;-)

thats the way others too kill themselves but bit more horrible way..i just saw wrong turn trailer loks fascinating...u better go for wrong turn rather mirrors..but dont miss mirrors too..even i too wanna see wrong turn now :D

bingleguy
22nd April 2009, 07:34 PM
hehehe ... appo Voting goes to Wrong Turn now ;-)

idhu thavira ... The Eye kooda pAkkanum :-)

viraajan
22nd April 2009, 07:36 PM
I will be watching Audition this week :shaking:

Uncut version!!! :frightened:

Has anyone watched it already??

bingleguy
22nd April 2009, 07:41 PM
illa ... enna movie adhu ... konjam vilakkungaL ;-)

avven
22nd April 2009, 07:43 PM
hehehe ... appo Voting goes to Wrong Turn now ;-)

idhu thavira ... The Eye kooda pAkkanum :-)

its gud one ...its scary in some parts not throughout :D

Ramakrishna
22nd April 2009, 07:43 PM
nalla suspense, thriller, horror(no gore) flicks iruntha sollunga.

avven
22nd April 2009, 07:45 PM

The Orphanage :P

Ramakrishna
22nd April 2009, 07:49 PM

Story line sounds interesting.. Thanks a lot.

viraajan
22nd April 2009, 08:02 PM
Adhavadhu BG, "Audition" is a japanese movie. Wikipedia'la check panninEn. Plot ellam nAn padikkala. "Critical Response" section mattum padichen... :shaking:

Udane download pannanum'nu mudivu pannitten. Being DL :boo: Should get over by tonight :boo:

will watch it this weekend!!

avven
22nd April 2009, 09:24 PM

Story line sounds interesting.. Thanks a lot.it will make u
cry at the end..i literally cried :cry:

Vivasaayi
23rd April 2009, 10:52 AM
Adhavadhu BG, "Audition" is a japanese movie. Wikipedia'la check panninEn. Plot ellam nAn padikkala. "Critical Response" section mattum padichen... :shaking:

Udane download pannanum'nu mudivu pannitten. Being DL :boo: Should get over by tonight :boo:

The Best thriller I have watched till now..

dont read plot element or anything before watching...

It will be a Mindf**king experience...

viraajan
23rd April 2009, 01:05 PM

The Best thriller I have watched till now..

dont read plot element or anything before watching...

It will be a Mindf**king experience...

:redjump:

Yeah. I did not read the plot in Wiki. Wow... Seems to be a good flick... :cool2:

Just a thriller or a blend of Thriller and horror? :roll:

I want to be scared... scared to death :lol:

avven
23rd April 2009, 01:38 PM
Friday the 13th(2009) - gud thrilling and scary flick :clap:

Vivasaayi
23rd April 2009, 02:02 PM
viraajan,

Its not a scary movie - u wont be scared and all..

Its intense and chilling...as i said - It was taken with just one thing in mind - to F the mind of the viewer...

not scary I would say

It will be an interesting ride...dont expect a hollywood style thriller/horror.

viraajan
23rd April 2009, 02:08 PM
:cool2: Vivs... Thanks...

Will watch it this weekend :boo:

bingleguy
24th April 2009, 09:12 AM

Story line sounds interesting.. Thanks a lot.it will make u
cry at the end..i literally cried :cry:

ONE OF THE BEST SPANISH movies i ve ever seen .... Really a very very interesting plot - and story built around the past, and blended superbly with the present :thumbsup:
I would surely recommend everybody to watch this movie - though u have to adjust to the subtitles...

The Others mAdiri very unexpected ending ..... superbly carved .... :thumbsup: to the DIRECTOR !!!

no gory, but all scary :-)

bingleguy
24th April 2009, 09:14 AM
Wrong Turn ....

somehow the movie did not impress me a lot ! except for the background score and the gals n their dresses :lol: jk ....

very predictable and so obvious goofs when nobody knows this open secret kinda story .... Hills have eyes was kinda better probably ... romba niraya horror movies pAkkaravangalukku pudikkAdhu ...

Wrong Turn ...... predictable path :P

VENKIRAJA
24th April 2009, 10:33 AM
Wrong Turn ....

somehow the movie did not impress me a lot ! except for the background score and the gals n their dresses :lol: jk ....

very predictable and so obvious goofs when nobody knows this open secret kinda story .... Hills have eyes was kinda better probably ... romba niraya horror movies pAkkaravangalukku pudikkAdhu ...

So don't try to watch Wrong turn to dead end :lol: 2nd part :|

bingleguy
24th April 2009, 11:22 AM
Wrong Turn ....

So don't try to watch Wrong turn to dead end :lol: 2nd part :|

:lol: idu second pArt vera undA ? oho ...... yArAvadhu pAthirukkeengala ?

ArulprakasH
24th April 2009, 11:28 AM

yea.. i did.. konjam kodurama thaan irukkum.. :P

bingleguy
24th April 2009, 11:33 AM

ahA ... still the same old "all turns leads to them" concept aa ?

avven
24th April 2009, 11:37 AM
ONE OF THE BEST SPANISH movies i ve ever seen .... Really a very very interesting plot - and story built around the past, and blended superbly with the present :thumbsup:
I would surely recommend everybody to watch this movie - though u have to adjust to the subtitles...

The Others mAdiri very unexpected ending ..... superbly carved .... :thumbsup: to the DIRECTOR !!!

no gory, but all scary :-)

:exactly: :notworthy:

avven
24th April 2009, 11:46 AM
Wrong Turn ....

enna ippadi sollitinga..then i think it wont impress me either..as u said we can easily predict the film its becoz so many movies with the same kinda story and i am seeing now a days only horror movies :D ..i love to watch flicks like The ring,The orpanage...they r really not predictable but scary :P

ArulprakasH
24th April 2009, 12:01 PM

ahA ... still the same old "all turns leads to them" concept aa ?

:roll: naan first part parthathilla.. horror illa gore.. first scene parthave therinjudum... :twisted:

avven
24th April 2009, 12:09 PM

ohh wait..i hav dwnloaded second part thinking first part lol..hope its better and more bloodshed than first part :P

bingleguy
24th April 2009, 12:15 PM
The Eye ..... innikki pAkkalAm nnu ninaichukittu irukken ... i guess i ve already seen the movie ... first scene pAtha podhu romba pAtha mAdiri thonichu ....

avven
24th April 2009, 12:20 PM
The Eye ..... innikki pAkkalAm nnu ninaichukittu irukken ... i guess i ve already seen the movie ... first scene pAtha podhu romba pAtha mAdiri thonichu ....

its not direct film...so u might hav seen the original version :roll: ..but can see again for jessica alba :P

viraajan
27th April 2009, 02:06 PM
viraajan,

Its not a scary movie - u wont be scared and all..

Its intense and chilling...as i said - It was taken with just one thing in mind - to F the mind of the viewer...

not scary I would say

It will be an interesting ride...dont expect a hollywood style thriller/horror.

Watched it vivs...

Yes. a different experience i would say. I liked the movie. A kinda confusing, disturbing, shocking narration. especially "THOSE" 30 mins where everything is revealed.

unmiayA sollanum'na, I was not scared at all. I finished watching it by 12.30 AM. I immediately went to bed after watching it. I couldn't sleep for few hours... to put it in a nut shell, as you said, mind was f***ed :lol:

Good one. Highly recommended! :exactly:

Vivasaayi
1st May 2009, 11:43 AM
vr :)

viraajan
1st May 2009, 01:50 PM
Will be watching atleat two of the following horror movies this weekend :shaking: :redjump: :bluejump:

Poltergeist
Halloween
Dawn Of The Dead (2004)
Carrie
The Silence of the Lambs
Psycho

:shaking:

yAr yAr edhu edhu ellam pAthurukkeenga... unga experience share pannikonga pls :bow: :P :D

VENKIRAJA
1st May 2009, 02:09 PM
ithu enna VR, ippudi eRangiteenga?
TSOTL- Anthony Hopkins-kAga pArkalAm.
Psycho- Typical 60s style horror, Nevertheless.
Don't know about the rest.

viraajan
1st May 2009, 02:20 PM
ithu enna VR, ippudi eRangiteenga?
TSOTL- Anthony Hopkins-kAga pArkalAm.
Psycho- Typical 60s style horror, Nevertheless.
Don't know about the rest.

I'm into the mission of watching as many scary movies as possible. :) Ellam REC aarambichu vachadhu thaan :lol:

TSOTL - matha padi vEra yedhvum special illanu solreengala :? I mean, any frightening scenes? Like The Others? :roll:

I wll watch either DOTD or Silence of Lambs tonight. Depends on your comments on Silence of lambs. If that's not as good as The Others, I may prefer DOTD (going by the reviews on net. Many say that the first 15-20 mins were very scary) :)

Prabo
1st May 2009, 02:58 PM
Will be watching atleat two of the following horror movies this weekend :shaking: :redjump: :bluejump:

Poltergeist
Halloween
Dawn Of The Dead (2004)
Carrie
The Silence of the Lambs
Psycho

:shaking:

yAr yAr edhu edhu ellam pAthurukkeenga... unga experience share pannikonga pls :bow: :P :D

Psycho - Ithu horror'ha :? Its kind of Psychological thriller, I think. Very very good movie with thrilling moments.

The Silence of the Lambs - Ithuvum thriller than. Very good too.

Poltergeist - Spielberg's ghost movie :D before getting into serious business. Good, but personally I didn't like this style of horror movie.

Unga list oda ethayum parongoo. Avoid last 2 if you don't like explicit violence

Frankenstein - Old one
Rosemary's Baby
Let The Right One In
Haute Tension
Inside

viraajan
1st May 2009, 03:33 PM
Thanks a lot prabho :D

Will watch all movies that you have recommended. :ty:

avven
1st May 2009, 05:36 PM
Let The Right One In
Inside

Let The Right One In - though its not scary flick i liked it :D
Inside - never thought it would be complete bloodshed flick :shock: but i liked it too :P

viraajan
1st May 2009, 11:11 PM
Watched The Silence of the Lambs. :thumbsup: Superb thriller :clap:

Next in the list should be Dawn of the Dead :boo: or Poltergeist :shaking:

viraajan
2nd May 2009, 05:10 PM
Watched Dawn of the Dead........

Excellent!!! :thumbsup:

Ramakrishna
2nd May 2009, 05:17 PM
Watch 28 days later and its sequel 28 weeks later

viraajan
2nd May 2009, 05:43 PM
Thanks RK. Will watch it... :thumbsup:

carrey
4th May 2009, 04:22 PM
Nightmare on Elm street, scream :P
(sequels :hammer: )

bingleguy
6th May 2009, 07:45 PM
Watched Dawn of the Dead........

Excellent!!! :thumbsup:

Watch Shaun of the Dead :lol: kamedy kamedy :P

bingleguy
6th May 2009, 07:53 PM
Psycho - awesome flick ... am not sure if u would like the original b/w version ... but i liked it :-) it was really good to watch the olden way of making a movie :-) background score was awesome :thumbsup:

avven
9th May 2009, 05:53 AM
From Within - its an k Horror Flick :P

avven
9th May 2009, 05:54 AM
Watch 28 days later and its sequel 28 weeks later

gonna watch this one :P

bingleguy
9th May 2009, 09:12 AM
K for ...
kodoramAna :roll:
kevalamAna :roll:
kaduppAna :roll:
kostlyAna :roll:

avven
9th May 2009, 11:57 PM
K for ...

k for ok :oops:

viraajan
10th May 2009, 11:03 PM
Poltergeist

Only one scene was frightening. Had good comedy too. but romba graphics panni chinna pasanga padam madiri aakittanga :lol:
konjam jollya irundhadhu... :)

bingleguy
11th May 2009, 12:44 PM
:shaking: Mirrors :shaking:

forget bloodshed, forget gory faces, forget hands coming from the back, forget brutal animal attacks .... Watch yourself killing you .... huh, tats terrifying ...

Mirrors, though does not give a minute by minute thrills - makes sure that the person on the seat doesnt go long off ... most of the night sequences make u feel u are watching at blank screen for a long time ... Concept was similar to that of a possession, but different when "IT" is haunted :-)

One scene which makes me really chill was the jaw opener ... :huh: its very difficult to see that scene, particularly its been shown completely till she teras off her whole lower jaw... yappa - bayangaram ....

ellathai vidavum super twist enna nna :-) the last scene ...... climax :)

be prepared for seeing the world from a different perspective :-)

bingleguy
11th May 2009, 12:46 PM
K for ...
k for ok :oops:

:rotfl: cha ivvalavu simple aa solliteengale :-)

Raikkonen
20th May 2009, 06:26 PM
Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan

the worst in the series (still better than regular horror movies though). The very idea of Jason terrorizing a cruise ship is a lot better than him loose in New York.the thought of Jason in the city seems cool initially, but as evidenced by what little we get of it here, it was never going to hold up for an entire movie.

There are lot of conceptual errors in the movie like why does Jason, who has always tried to kill everyone he has come in contact with, suddenly walk by pedestrians without even giving them a second glance?

They also took the scare gloss out of Jason severely. the moment you take Jason and put him in a huge crowd of people in a big city, he effectively stops being scary. And that right there should have squashed the whole New York idea from the beginning.

STILL it was scary indeed. The closed door mishaps in the cruise ship were awesome and typical jason-esque.

Raikkonen
21st May 2009, 07:34 PM
oh.. and here's the famous roof top boxer scene..

Give me your best shot, Jason (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCou6If1MIQ)

awesome.. :bow:

Thalafanz
21st May 2009, 08:05 PM
My Bloody Valentine. :)

Simple story with twist and turns. The way each one gets killed is 'bloody' horrible... :shaking:

Raikkonen
25th June 2009, 09:21 AM
Jason X (finally!)

Embarassement to the entire friday the 13th franchise. It bears all the hallmarks of 'self parody', despite the extremely serious tone. it's stupid as hell, but if you just accept that going in, it's actually one of the more entertaining entries in the whole series.

i've seen all movies in the series. so my ranking from fav to least fav.

1. Friday the 13th II // ultimate
2. Friday the 13th VII: New Blood // cool carrie vs jason kind
3. Friday the 13th VI: Jason Lives // Right mix of horror and humor
4. Friday the 13th III // Really good, even with the the goofy 3d effects
5. Friday the 13th: Final Chapter // Really gory with an iconic ending
6. Friday the 13th // The one that started it all. Good twist ending.
7. Friday the 13th VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan // More like Jason takes a cruise or something. Extremely cheesy, but entertaining
8. Jason X // Awful, but funny at times
9. Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday // Awful. Only the ending saved it.
10. Friday the 13th: A New Beginning // Downright awful. The worst in the series. Extreme twist ending just killed everything.

groucho070
25th June 2009, 11:37 AM
Jason takes a cruise :lol:

Raiks, Horror-na romba pidikkumo?

I prefer sci-fi horror. Like Invasion of the Body Snatcher (70s version), Alien (first one), The Thing (1982 version), The Fly (both 50s and 80s version). It stops there, I think. Stopped exploring after the 80s.

Raikkonen
25th June 2009, 11:44 AM
:exactly: groucho.. horror fan than..

in recent years, they have ruined the horror genre with plethora of reboots and remakes.

good movies (and their legacy) like april fools day and black christmas were ruined by remakes.

i heard that they have plans to reboot the predator too.. :cry:

groucho070
25th June 2009, 11:50 AM
Yes and Alien too. If they have not ruined it with the AVP movies. By the way, add Predator, yes both of them (I know many hate the second one) to my list.

What is your take on the Japanese/Korean horror flicks? Thailand?....Malaysia :rotfl: sorry cannot help myself.

jaaze
25th June 2009, 11:52 AM
Jangan Pandang Belakang :twisted:

Raikkonen
25th June 2009, 11:52 AM
:cool2: predator is one of my fav movies.

malaysian horror? :lol: "pontianak harum sundal malam" ?

i hate japanese horror.. too goofy and unbelievable at times. Thai horror is good.

groucho070
25th June 2009, 11:57 AM
Jaze, did you watch it? I recall one back when I was growing up, something to do with Toyol, a midgety thingy that was supposed to scare us. It scared me as a kid, methinks.

Raiks, the original Predator was a mix of horror, suspense and typical 80s macho shoot-em-up with lots of muscle (and some say with homoerotic undertone, whatever). Superb movie. Love that line of Arnies, "You are one ugly...." Used that to pals those days.

jaaze
25th June 2009, 11:59 AM
No I didn't watch that. But I guess its an overrated Malaysian film based on cheap horror.

groucho070
25th June 2009, 12:23 PM
No I didn't watch that. But I guess its an overrated Malaysian film based on cheap horror.Most of the stuff that has come from Malaysia after P. Ramlee is cheap. But then, P. Ramlee was operating out of Singapore when Singapore was part of Malaysia and before, Malaya.

Raikkonen
2nd July 2009, 10:32 AM
[tscii:4a2f30c256]When Stranger Calls (2006 Remake) :x

I really really hate it when they ruin a perfectly acceptable horror in the name of remake. The original was really scary with the suspense being maintained until the end.

The movie-time that elapses between the first prank call and that revelation is about 15 minutes. Unfortunately, in the remake, not only you know what the twist is and you actually have to wait a full hour before it is revealed, which is a bit like knowing that you’re going sneeze, but having to wait a full 60 minutes to experience that relief.

But the lead girl was charming and hot (kids these days....).. Only plus point of the remake.

// The original concept was heavily inspired by black christmas, so i just couldn't watch this (or the original) without comparing with bc..

Halloween (which many people describe as the greatest horror movie of all time), was supposed to be a sequel to black christmas, but the plans were dropped..

I'm saying this because people always rank Michael Myers, Jason Voorhees and Freddy Krueger highly but always leave out Billy (Black christmas' villain).. the original never gets the love.. :cry: [/tscii:4a2f30c256]

Raikkonen
14th August 2009, 11:00 AM
my bloody valentine (1981).. // i love 80's horrors..

typical slasher movie with lot of fun loving teens and one masked psychopath/monster/killer. The backstory is just awful. Actually slasher movies usually work out well when there's no backstory (Black christmas, NOES). The killing motive is even more awful, with the killer taking revenge over people who caused his colleagues to die??? huh.. when was the last time you saw horror movies that were build upon friendship??

anyway back to the movie. like every other horror movie of the 70's and 80's it hasn't aged out well.. you can pretty much guarantee the timeframe of the kills and the victims.

For all of these minuses, the movie does have one big advantage that works so well with slasher genre.. Blood..

yes.. it's extremely bloody. i've never seen so much gore in any mainstream (this was an independent release, but i've included this in big movie category since it has been remade in 2009).. And the kills were brutal, even if those weren't fresh and in need of youtube links..

oh and the gasmask is just awful.. come on... a brutal killer with safety first approach??

it was fun (for me atleast) and give it a shot if when you're extremely free or after donating gallons of blood..

Raikkonen
14th August 2009, 11:07 AM
and the climax was awesome.. great twist ending..

groucho070
14th August 2009, 11:30 AM
It played on TV that day...not sure HBO or Cinemax. Did you watch the remake?

Raikkonen
14th August 2009, 11:34 AM
It played on TV that day...not sure HBO or Cinemax. Did you watch the remake?

no.. :oops:

i have seen the original before.. yesterday they played this on cinemax.. watched just to re-blood the vessels.

groucho070
14th August 2009, 11:58 AM
watched just to re-blood the vessels. :lol: En intha kola veri :lol:

Anyway, saw only parts here and there. Hope they are still playing it there, will catch it for sure.

Raikkonen
14th August 2009, 01:56 PM
Ok.. pause at 5:18 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI7zJDrKDNM&feature=related) and you have the scariest moment in horror movies history.. :shaking:

Sanguine Sridhar
14th August 2009, 04:17 PM
Good thread.

I dont know much about horror movies. Exorcist, Evil Dead varai paathadhoda mudinjadhu. Saw couple of horror flicks recently Mirror and Scarecrow ... waste :?

Veetu pakkathula irrukura DVD kadai kaaran-ta nalla horror padam-ma kodunga-nu ketta...

"Super padam sir! idhula oruthanoda heart-a appadiye kaiyala thOndi eduthu appadiya saapduvaan...nalla irrukum sir!!"

I was thinking 'Yedhuda nallairrukum?' :lol:

P_R
14th August 2009, 05:01 PM
'Yedhuda nallairrukum?' :lol:
:lol:

Gore puts me off.

Roshan
15th August 2009, 01:03 PM

Gore puts me off.

Same here.

Sridhar :lol:

Raikkonen
17th August 2009, 07:06 PM

Gore puts me off.

Same here.

Sridhar :lol:

hmm.. somehow agree with this.. horror had it's time on the sun..(sadly).

many stars started/made their careers in horror movies.. kevin bacon, johnny depp, jamie lee curtis, tara reid, corey feldman, christian bale (watch american psycho.. now :lol:), Sigourney Weaver, etc.. etc..

horror genre was pivotal in 80's. now.. not much.

Raikkonen
17th August 2009, 07:08 PM
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=45170095

video on bravo's best horror scenes countdown list.. :shaking:

groucho070
18th August 2009, 01:48 PM
Gore is okay, if its not glamourised or romanticised for me. The gore in the Alien or Predator films were great...really adds to the scare factor. The gore in Nightmare series only serves as sadistic reason to watch annoying teens getting it. Other than that....nah.

crajkumar_be
18th August 2009, 01:51 PM
Not always, but many times I've found myself "liking" gore - movies and Jaya TV Sigichai Neram/NGC/Discovery etc..

kid-glove
18th August 2009, 01:55 PM
Gore when conceived in a good context, and with a sense of aesthetic, it works well. It could be disturbing, and it could also be exploitation of anatomical parts and fluids.

Horse for courses I suppose.

Raikkonen
19th August 2009, 11:24 AM
Orphan..

Really good (pyscho kid) horror movie.. not a lot of blood. But scary. And the twist ending.. :omg: I didn't see that coming at all.

:bow:

jaaze
19th August 2009, 02:54 PM
Poltergeist

Only one scene was frightening. Had good comedy too. but romba graphics panni chinna pasanga padam madiri aakittanga :lol:
konjam jollya irundhadhu... :) :shock: This movie reportedly has one of the most moments in cinema history.

I wouldn't even dare watch it :oops:

Dinesh84
21st August 2009, 12:13 PM
The Last House on the Left - 2009

Raikkonen
21st August 2009, 12:19 PM

ennathu ithu small kid tanama.. peru mattum potta epdi.. give short review..

i think i have seen the original.. can't remember.

groucho070
21st August 2009, 12:37 PM
Raiks, Just started listening to Killswitch Engage. Strongly recommended by a metal head pal, and he copied me his As Daylight Dies album.

Raikkonen
21st August 2009, 12:42 PM
Raiks, Just started listening to Killswitch Engage. Strongly recommended by a metal head pal, and he copied me his As Daylight Dies album.

:cool2:

they are awesome.. arms of sorrow is the best song in the album, imo.. my fav is this fire burns,available is in the special edition.

Dinesh84
24th August 2009, 06:08 PM

ennathu ithu small kid tanama.. peru mattum potta epdi.. give short review..

i think i have seen the original.. can't remember.

Gore was less..

But had sex violence.. :x

Sanjeevi
24th August 2009, 07:19 PM
yesterday vijay tv telecasted the Village movie in tamil :)

Raikkonen
25th August 2009, 12:20 PM
what name? gramathu attiyayam? :lol:

i don't consider it as an horror movie.. because the twist ending sucked beyond all belief.

He (Manoj Night) locked himself in the corner after sixth sense. The (twist) ending was so amazing. People expected similar movies from him after that. Unbreakable was ok (another twist ending), (yet to see signs).. but Village's ending.. :sigh2:

He took too many things to his head and tried to be innovative with the ending. As it turns out, there are no monsters in the woods. The monsters were devised by the elders of the village to keep the younger people from venturing away, which would lead them to the wall.. wth..

groucho070
25th August 2009, 12:27 PM
Signs was interesting until the the arrival of vege-Aliens. Then, its unintentional laugh fest.

P_R
25th August 2009, 12:29 PM
Signs was a heckle-fest

As they desert their meal to hide in the basement and then they walk up again my friend and I were expecting the aliens to be finishing up the breakfast at the table and welcoming the emerging Gibson and co with
mighty kind of you

Raikkonen
25th August 2009, 12:29 PM
thinking of doing a list of best and worst twist endings.. :think:

saw should be topping the worst list.. the main corpse is the killer and he's been lying still for two hours???.. :lol: come on..

ajaybaskar
25th August 2009, 12:32 PM
which would u rate as the best??

Raikkonen
25th August 2009, 12:34 PM
Sleepaway Camp or American Psycho (i know many hated this)..

VENKIRAJA
25th August 2009, 08:50 PM
which would u rate as the best??

The Usual Suspects

Raikkonen
26th August 2009, 11:36 AM
On the recent ones.. i really really liked Orphan's ending.. Trust me, you just can't guess the ending (if you've never seen it or watching it for the first time).. I was in :omg: mode when i first saw the ending..

i must revisit friday the 13th v (new beginning) again. although the friday franchise is my fav franchise of all time, i simply hated this. Mainly because the ridiculous ending. But i remember the rest of the movie being very enjoyable. And it was quite gory (dvd). Just goes to show how much the ending/climax can hurt the whole movie.. The movie also killed the franchise with releases after this didn't match the collections of previous movies (although new blood and jason lives were tremendous)..

ajaybaskar
26th August 2009, 11:44 AM
One friend recommended 1408. But i was not impressed much after watching.

ajaybaskar
26th August 2009, 04:13 PM
Hills have eyes..

Watchable...

Raikkonen
26th August 2009, 06:29 PM
never seen that.. although have heard good things about it..

it was directed by wes craven, my fav horror moviemaker. he also did movies like last house on the left and nightmare on elm street.. pretty innovative person i'd say.. :thumbsup:

ajaybaskar
27th August 2009, 02:12 PM
never seen that.. although have heard good things about it..

it was directed by wes craven, my fav horror moviemaker. he also did movies like last house on the left and nightmare on elm street.. pretty innovative person i'd say.. :thumbsup:

I didnt see the older version though.. This was the new one by Aja, director of Keifer Sutherland starrer Mirrors..

ajaybaskar
2nd September 2009, 09:40 AM
Antichrist.

It is better to say that it is a soft-porn movie rather than a horror movie. Willem Dafoekulla ivlo thiramaigala??

Raikkonen
2nd September 2009, 10:03 AM
:cool2: ajay.. horror fan :bow:

only two actors in the movie, rite.. somehow never came across this one. they might have banned it here.

coming to the antichrist themed movies, there have been plenty of it in the past. i'm not sure if i can consider exorcist as an antichrist movie(i don't even consider is an horror movie, it's overrated).. but The Omen was a dead set antichrist movie.. :shaking: Damien still freaks me out.

they ulta-ed it in tamil as jenma natchathiram :lol: .. the actors were horrible, and not very scary.. but that was my first exposure to horror.

ajaybaskar
2nd September 2009, 10:09 AM
Yeah... Omen is the best bet when it comes to horror movies.. Not a single drop of blood is shown in the movie. But the movie chills your spine..

ajaybaskar
2nd September 2009, 10:11 AM
I saw 2 movies yesterday. Antichrist and Hills have Eyes 2..

Raikkonen
2nd September 2009, 10:15 AM
:D nice..

never seen hills have eyes before..might watch it before the end of the year.

kid-glove
2nd September 2009, 10:19 AM
He acted as Jesus in Scorsese's "Last temptation of christ". Maybe Lars Von trier wanted a "German" face, and Dafoe is a big Hollywood star. Is this a typical "Horror" film? Because LVT is know to be "art" director, and was part of Dogme95 moment. Not a big fan of the style, but I've found his films interesting to say the least. It'd not surprise me if he tried to do a gory "art" film, and market it as "Horror"!? :D

From its shooting location(Germany), I wonder LVT had derided religious allegories using nihilistic approaches from Nietzsche's book The Antichrist (after which Nietzsche suffered mental breakdown, IIRC).

ajaybaskar
2nd September 2009, 10:29 AM
Forgot to mention.. The Director of Photography for Antichrist is Antony Dod Mantle, DOP of Slumdog Millionaire.

Thalafanz
2nd September 2009, 11:02 AM
:D nice..

never seen hills have eyes before..might watch it before the end of the year.

Nothing great, Raiks... :)

Raikkonen
2nd September 2009, 11:08 AM
:ty: ic.. friday the 13th series is universally panned by critics, i love them but not into highly acclaimed nightmare on elm street and Halloween franchises.. :lol:

you never know, i might end up liking hills have eyes..

Thalafanz
2nd September 2009, 11:12 AM
Watched, The Last House On The Left - Never knew there is an older version of it.

ParkalAm... I hardly find any 'horror' in it... :lol:

ajaybaskar
2nd September 2009, 11:18 AM
Watched, The Last House On The Left - Never knew there is an older version of it.

ParkalAm... I hardly find any 'horror' in it... :lol:

It is gory i guess..

Sanjeevi
2nd September 2009, 11:22 AM
Yeah... Omen is the best bet when it comes to horror movies.. Not a single drop of blood is shown in the movie. But the movie chills your spine..

What about Ring which is superb even I liked ring 2

groucho070
2nd September 2009, 01:16 PM
Raiks, one kosteen.

Did you watch the two versions of Exorcist prequel? If so, which one do you like. I bet you hate them because it lacks the horror quotient. I liked the Paul Schrader version, Dominion.

Raikkonen
2nd September 2009, 01:21 PM
i have only seen the original (73) :oops:

i wanted to watch the beginning on big screens, but my friend said it was so blunt (mokkai).. generally not a fan of the series..

groucho070
2nd September 2009, 01:40 PM
You know the story about the prequel right? They didn't like the Schrader's version, so they got Renny Harlin (poyum poyum) to reshoot. When his version tanked, the got back Schrader's version which was so and so.

The film is just three decades too late, avalavuthaan. But its an interesting film, mainly from cerebral point of view. Schrader, you might know, wrote Taxi Driver and Raging Bull among others. I got both DVDs...just not bothered to watch it again. The original is always the scariest...chinna vayasula, athuvum TV-ila paarthu, I slept with the lights on and didn't go to bathroom till the next morning :shaking:

Raikkonen
2nd September 2009, 08:35 PM
:ty: :D thanks for the info grouch..

the problem is they just won't show horror movies here. :twisted: and i'm not that interested in non 70's-80's horror.

but would love to watch the movies you suggested. and you're right the original exorcist was down right scary.. :shaking: the kid was tremendous.

Raikkonen
4th September 2009, 06:50 PM
planning to watch terror train this weekend.. :D

groucho should know about this.. just look at this poster.. (http://retroslashers.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/terrortrain-2.jpg)

Thalafanz
6th September 2009, 05:24 PM
Final Destination 4 :thumbsup:

It never fails to give the horrific feeling even there are three earlier versions before this that had similar plot... A must watch for for Horror Flicks Fans... :)

Raikkonen
8th September 2009, 07:04 AM
Joshua - :thumbsup:

This might not be a horror movie(for some). But a twisted eldest son in a happy family equals horror for me. A very effective psychological thriller with some clever screenplay. Sure it may be an omen ripoff, but the acting was superior here. Especially from the lead pair and the hero was just tremendous. He showed variety of emotions with ease. The kid was lackluster compared to Damien, but his face is very suitable for the twisted kid role.

The open ending was terrific. They let us to think what could happen. Maybe he drove his parents and sister away because he wants to stay with his gay uncle.. :shock: or harm his uncle mentally/physically just like he did to others?? :shaking:

That was a very very fine horror.. :bow:

Thalafanz
8th September 2009, 07:06 AM
Welcome Back Raiks :)

Raikkonen
8th September 2009, 07:12 AM
:D :ty:

groucho070
8th September 2009, 08:03 AM
groucho should know about this.. just look at this poster.. (http://retroslashers.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/terrortrain-2.jpg)Eh :? Apart from what looks like updated Groucho mask, I know nothing. Plus no thanks to Vadiveloo, the word "terror" has taken on new meaning for me these days. :P

Raikkonen
8th September 2009, 08:08 AM
groucho should know about this.. just look at this poster.. (http://retroslashers.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/terrortrain-2.jpg)Eh :? Apart from what looks like updated Groucho mask, I know nothing. Plus no thanks to Vadiveloo, the word "terror" has taken on new meaning for me these days. :P

ya it's a groucho marx mask.. :lol:

didn't watch this last weekend.. maybe this weekend. i have seen this before. david copperfield played an important role and it was set in train.. :cool2:

imagine this.. a close door train traveling at full speed and a magician is one of the passengers.. excellent scope for a classic horror movie.

anyway they showed army of darkness on star movies yesterday.. i missed it.. :banghead:

ajithfederer
11th September 2009, 08:13 PM
Scream (Courtney cox, Neve Campbell) (1996)

I've seen this before. A nice spoof on horror movies and slasher genre films.

Raikks is this in your fav list. Groucho have u seen this??.

Thalafanz
11th September 2009, 08:28 PM
Feddy, latest Final Destination pArthAchA??? :)

Raikkonen
11th September 2009, 09:07 PM
it was great.. but i won't put it top ten list.. since i'm a sort of torch bearer for traditional kill-for-kill all blood horror films..

it was nice to see them paying tribute (:lol: ya) to Freddy, Jason and Myers..

it did spark a new era horror movies, however.. :bow:

wes craven is an intelligent man..

thirumbi pakkanum..

ajithfederer
11th September 2009, 09:10 PM
In bits and pieces. No company for big screen viewing.

Feddy, latest Final Destination pArthAchA??? :)

Thalafanz
12th September 2009, 08:28 PM
I think this can come under Horror genre:

Case 39 - Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6YAxBZW_lA

Thalafanz
12th September 2009, 08:35 PM
Another One:

Sorority Row - Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbdY3_vLc2k&NR=1

Raikkonen
13th September 2009, 10:43 AM
Dream Warriors.. :bow:

brilliant concept.. incredible execution. ya there's a lot of cheesy elements that are so synonmous with Freddy movies.. but the kills and the main concept is just amazingly innovative..

An ugly supernatural pyshco is hunting you in your dreams.. how you'd face him?? simple.. have your own powers and beat him in his own game.

I'd go far and say this is the best in the series and Englund was full in 'i'm the vintage freddy" mood throughout the movie.

The kills were extraordinary. I mean making a guy look a puppet without tearing his tendons??? :bow: awesome.. just awesome..

here's the scene (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq0RgnpkZQo)

warning: excessive violence here.. might not be for the weak hearts.

the tv killing scene was brilliant too.. (welcome to primetime b..... :rotfl2:)

Raikkonen
13th September 2009, 11:05 AM
And Jennifer's Body is releasing next week.. 8-)

Ms.Fox in a horror movie.. what else i can ask for?

kid-glove
14th September 2009, 08:09 PM
"Antichirst" till the point where a surprising character says "chaos reigns". Nothing to report on its "horror" scale. The opening is interesting cinematography. :lol: Will write more...

ajaybaskar
14th September 2009, 08:11 PM
"Antichirst" till the point where a surprising character says "chaos reigns". Nothing to report on its "horror" scale. The opening is interesting cinematography. :lol: Will write more...

Awesome cinematography... :lol: In fact, sila vishayangal mudhalla enakku puriyalai. Appuram koorndhu paarthu shock ayitten.. :lol:

ajaybaskar
14th September 2009, 08:12 PM
Watched Final Destination 1 & 2. Watchable for few interesting moments..

kid-glove
14th September 2009, 08:16 PM

Awesome cinematography... :lol: In fact, sila vishayangal mudhalla enakku puriyalai. Appuram koorndhu paarthu shock ayitten.. :lol:

:rotfl:

groucho070
16th September 2009, 10:48 AM
Raiks, what do you think?
http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=47103

ajaybaskar
16th September 2009, 11:48 AM
Anybody watched final destination 4?

Howz the movie?

Raikkonen
16th September 2009, 11:52 AM
:cheer:

atleast i can watch it on the big screen.. :lol:

i'll be very happy if they stick to the original. just some touch-ups here and there and it will be awesome. the original was amazingly innovative and almost as influential as halloween.

there's already an unofficial remake of NEAS. Wes Craven's New Nightmare.. never seen that, so cannot comment on it. But i really hope they will just continue from 'dream warriors', apart from the first, that was the only one which deserves a mention.

i'm not a fan of reboot/remake of old classics, especially horror movies. my favorites like "when strangers calls", "friday the 13th" (absolute no reference of pamela voorhees.. :twisted:) and "black christmas" were butchered in name of reboots.. :cry:

but this looks a bit interesting.. :D

and Robert Englund is not reprising krueger's role.. :cry: :twisted: he's the best freddy out there (ya the only one to play Freddy from the first to Freddy vs Jason.. :lol:)

Thalafanz
16th September 2009, 12:54 PM
Anybody watched final destination 4?

Howz the movie?

http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=12300&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=210

groucho070
16th September 2009, 01:13 PM
and Robert Englund is not reprising krueger's role.. :cry: :twisted: he's the best freddy out there (ya the only one to play Freddy from the first to Freddy vs Jason.. :lol:)Yeah, if you notice the comments below that news, many are not happy about not having Englund. I saw the first, liked it, then the sequels are kinda boring. Who knows, this take might improve at least on the sequels. I might go for it.

Raikkonen
16th September 2009, 01:26 PM
it will be definitely better than freddy's dead.. because nothing else can be worse than that.. :lol:

normally they don't release/show these kind of exploitation horror movies here.. :cry:

they telecasted all bond movies during the release of quantum of solace..

hopefully they will follow the trend during this release.. 8-)

groucho070
16th September 2009, 01:31 PM
From Killswitch Engage to Boney M, ithu regression-a progressiona-a, Raiks? :P The chicks were hot, though :oops:

Raikkonen
16th September 2009, 01:37 PM

retro month.. they were awesome

like this

Daddy Cool (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5gNYVia2rg)

Rasputin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvDMlk3kSYg)

groucho070
16th September 2009, 01:45 PM
:shock: NOOOOOOoooooo....I grew into the 70s, memories of ancient 'fro, butterfly collars, colouful bell bottoms, disco, John Travolta, polyester are flushing in...the horror...the horror...the horror...

Raikkonen
17th September 2009, 10:24 AM
Joshua again..

it gets better every-time i watch it. The movie strictly follows the omen template. They even paid tribute to the antichrist classic in several scenes (nanny falling from the top of a building while screaming the kid's name, the kid's final smile, Sam trying to kill the kid, but gets stopped by the police and public etc etc).

Sam Rockwell was just amazing. Very rarely i've seen a supporting character which overshadowed the movie's USP. The lead actress was also terrific in the role of weak wife suffering from postpartum depression.

The kid was ok. He's just there to be creepy and scare us. And he passed it with flying colors.. :shaking: :oops:

The open ending was just marvelous. (apparently the ending wasn't open at all according to the director, with the the kid's motive was always to be with his gay uncle.. :shock:)..

kid-glove
17th September 2009, 12:01 PM
Watched "Antichrist" in full. Stays true to its hype, being a therapeutic exercise for Von Trier. And he did admit that he doesn't make films with audience in mind. He goes beyond limits, and has marketed the film very well. Loved the sense of humour in his Cannes interview, especially the bit about being "the best".

This is no "horror", but at moments, it does terrify to see the 'devilish' (in makeup of "women" here) extremity of human nature. In this case, it is loss of sanity, and influence of schizophrenia. There are some inspired moments - both in mise-en-scene, and way the camera moves. The surreal imagery owes a bit to "Mirror" (and I think this film had inspired lot of other Von Trier films as well), and could see why the director dedicated to Tarkovsky.

Raikkonen
17th September 2009, 01:31 PM
ok.. here's a good weekly column on horror movies..

http://www.411mania.com/movies/columns/116465

:D good reference..

Raikkonen
20th September 2009, 09:56 AM
bad news for (some) horror fans and (most) jollus..

jennifer's body has bombed at the b.o, on the first day itself. just $2.8mil for the day.. :cry:

Raikkonen
25th September 2009, 10:31 AM
Army of Darkness - :rotfl2: :bow:

Tremendous old school movie. Extremely funny with some cool action scenes

Sam Raimi sacrificed the gore for more laughs. And unlike the previous evil dead movies, this one isn't scary at all (was this even a horror movie?? :lol:).

Great effects (make-up, kampooter) for a 1992 movie. And the final fight, which lasted about half an hour, was just epic. :bow:

This movie defined slapstick horror.. It invented the art of spoof on horror movies (at that time Freddy and Jason were comic figures already), which Wes Craven perfected in Scream trilogy..

And.... just how awesome was Bruce Campbell??? Unbelievable.. Army of Darkness is the epitome of One Man Show. He carried the movie tremendously.

Heard that Evil Dead 4 is scheduled for release in 2010.. :happydance: Please let Sam and Bruce to return to the series.. Evil Dead is NOTHING without them..

And.. wait..

wait for it..

wait for it..

THIS IS MY BOOMSTICK.. :rotfl3: :rotfl3:

groucho070
25th September 2009, 10:44 AM
Crap...I forgot about this movie. Last night-ah? :(

Raikkonen
25th September 2009, 10:48 AM
ya.. 11.30

Raikkonen
9th October 2009, 08:51 AM
here is the much talked about (twist) ending of sleepaway camp... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50_EoLRpoFg&feature=related)

:shaking: :omg: :shaking:

Warning : It might be creepy for some.

//use speakers / headphones because the noise from the guy(??) makes it even more creepy.

Raikkonen
11th October 2009, 10:39 PM
Shutter (Eng)

that was actually a bit scary.. and the ending bit (the ghost still draped across the guy's back) totally scared me.. :oops: :lol: :shaking:

and

Rachael Taylor was stunning.. both on looks and performance wise..