PDA

View Full Version : Films that changed your opinion in subsequent views/thought

thilak4life
2nd October 2008, 02:54 PM
It happens constantly.

Let me begin with "Fear and loathing in Las vegas" (Zee studio)

What a horrible film. I was reasonably impressed the first time. Perhaps I was stoned like the characters. Don't get me wrong, Terry Gilliam is a great filmmaker. Either horrible choice of adaptation or it's just a failed attempt. I needed a coffee to remove the stench caused by over analysis of its pointlessness. For better psychedelic experience with neat performance, I'd better watch Depp in "Dead man" (also quite frequent in Zee studio). Now that's the kind of film to watch, and meditate on. That film had a great technique, and perfect pattern to evolve the genre. This is just old school trying and failing.

Sid_316
2nd October 2008, 05:30 PM
Clockwork orange - The first time i saw i hated it :oops: .. then came to know about its awesomeness :P

Mulholland Dr.- The first time i saw .. i was like wtf ?? :shock:

complicateur
2nd October 2008, 09:17 PM
It happens constantly.

As you suggest best watched under the influence of 'shrooms. Of course, I say this from hearsay and not personal experience. I was in a room surrounded by people who had done shrooms and were doing massive bong hits while watching this movie. I'll just say it was a tough watch. There is an inherent lack of cohesiveness (this might just arise from Hunter Thompson's writing - I'm not sure). But the acting by both Del Toro as well as Depp is spot on. And some of the initial scenes in the bar with the carpet design turning real etc.... are just plain freaky.

The Hudsucker Proxy was a movie I changed my mind on. I just thought it was a lark the first time I saw it. In fact I didnt even watch it fully. Then HBO played it late one night and I couldn't change the channel. Paul Newman :notworthy: - may he rest in peace.

thilak4life
3rd October 2008, 12:57 AM
It happens constantly.

As you suggest best watched under the influence of 'shrooms. Of course, I say this from hearsay and not personal experience. I was in a room surrounded by people who had done shrooms and were doing massive bong hits while watching this movie. I'll just say it was a tough watch. There is an inherent lack of cohesiveness (this might just arise from Hunter Thompson's writing - I'm not sure). But the acting by both Del Toro as well as Depp is spot on. And some of the initial scenes in the bar with the carpet design turning real etc.... are just plain freaky..

Damn right. As you point out, there are scenes which carried me through the first time. Second time, it's quite irritating. The film has no re-watch value IMHO.

ajithfederer
3rd October 2008, 05:09 AM
Matrix.

Reservoir dogs and Pulp fiction.

VENKIRAJA
3rd October 2008, 10:55 AM
Clockwork orange - The first time i saw i hated it :oops: .. then came to know about its awesomeness :P

Almost all Kubrick movies.I kinda find them so-so in the first watch,and then in subsequent views they become *the* best.

Apart from that,
Fight club.

thilak4life
3rd October 2008, 11:48 AM
Good pick that Fight club, the desirability kept reduced, and slowly got disinterested (or *uninterested*, I get confused between these words).

P_R
3rd October 2008, 12:15 PM
Fight Club .....I thought I'd outgrow (?) it. Six years and yet to. Still a simmering madness.

Mostly I see I tend to always like what I liked. But most often the change-of-heart has been about ones I trashed the first time because of haste to categorize it and dismiss.

Some movies I nearly nodded off when I saw but couldn't stop thinking about later (though I haven't watched them again since)

Madodoyo
Taste of Cherry
y tu mama tambien

Nerd
3rd October 2008, 07:30 PM
2001: A Space Odessey. Second time with some *preparations* worked wonders.

Vivasaayi
3rd October 2008, 07:58 PM
Guna among tamil movies

thamizhvaanan
3rd October 2008, 08:50 PM
Some movies I nearly nodded off when I saw but couldn't stop thinking about later (though I haven't watched them again since)

Pudhupettai falls into this category for me... eventhough I didnt nod it off completely I had mixed feelings coming out of the theatre. But even now, most of the scenes are alive in my memory. In that case it must be an effective film, I would definitely love to watch it again :D

thamizhvaanan
3rd October 2008, 08:53 PM
Guna among tamil movies:yes: I first saw it when I was young, I had no idea on what was going on in the screen, became too bored.

But these days whenever the film is on tv, its a struggle for me to avoid it and go do something else for that moment.

VENKIRAJA
3rd October 2008, 09:25 PM
2001: A Space Odessey. Second time with some *preparations* worked wonders.

http://www.kubrick2001.com/
Found this some weeks ago.The site which PR gave me was also useful.As ebert says-"The beauty of the movie is actually in not in how much Kubrick tells,but how little he tells us."

kannannn
4th October 2008, 05:27 PM
I think it would have to be Goodfellas for me. Remember loving it the first time I saw (romba long ago..) and when I revisited it again last week, found myself waiting impatiently for it to end. The portrayal of gangster life for what it is - violent, immoral and vengeful is all fine, but except De Niro nothing could keep me interested.

P_R
4th October 2008, 06:02 PM
Goodfellas was always whats-so-great for me. :huh: Saw it 1.5 times :P Hence, no motivation to see "Mean Streets", "New York New York" etc.

Kannan, your avatar (and the post) urges me to revisit :-)

crajkumar_be
4th October 2008, 08:12 PM
Jules And Jim - Total disconnect the first time around, a much better experience the next time

Dasavatharam - mappu/hunger/tiredness/tensan the first time gave way to an incredible movie watching experience from the second time onwards.

And more....

m_23_bayarea
6th October 2008, 10:25 PM
SIVAJI! :P

Too many expectations... Some nonsensical characters in front inside the theatre... Hated it the first time!

Expectations shattered... Watched it with friends... Liked it the second time!

Shakthiprabha.
6th October 2008, 10:30 PM
wrong post

ajithfederer
6th October 2008, 10:46 PM
Friends/hubbers

Idhu world movie section :).

Shakthiprabha.
6th October 2008, 10:53 PM
sorry I saw bay's post and posted it immy :(

ajithfederer
6th October 2008, 10:54 PM
Akka no problem. May be we need a similar thread in tfm section.

Thilak, I guess you can open a similar thread in TFM as well :roll:

sorry I saw bay's post and posted it immy :(

thilak4life
21st January 2009, 12:27 AM
Hindi film "Raincoat". Overrated the second time in UTV world movies. Rituparno Ghosh is a dramatic filmmaker. Would have made a better playwright one feels. There is nothing much in the film(s) for a second viewing. In retrospect, "The Last Lear" seems whimsical, and over-dramatic.