PDA

View Full Version : Coen Brothers

ajithfederer
16th September 2008, 09:23 PM
Would love to hear from hubbers about these gentlemen.

:D

Nerd
17th September 2008, 08:58 PM
Blood Simple - 3/5
Miller's crossings - 4/5
Fargo -5/5
The Big Lebowski -5/5
NCFOM -5/5

Have not seen others. Cannot get beyond 30 minutes of OBWAT :oops: But the brothers are darn good 8-)

P_R
17th September 2008, 09:00 PM
Intolerable Cruelty
Fun movie :-)

ajithfederer
17th September 2008, 09:01 PM
I have seen only NCFOM, Fargo, Intolerable cruelty and Burn after reading. I know i am missing a lot of their filmography :oops:

Querida
17th September 2008, 09:06 PM
Wow you already watched "Burn After Reading"? Lucky!!!

I've only seen Fargo and No Country for Old Men, I'll admit their LadyKillers...I didn't even watch fully...I liked the original with Peter Sellers much better.

No one has watched Oh Brother Where Art Thou?

ajithfederer
17th September 2008, 09:19 PM
Yeah, this last sunday night :).

P_R
24th September 2008, 10:20 PM
Fargo.

What a lovely film :clap:

Querida
24th September 2008, 10:51 PM
Yeah, this last sunday night :).

Yeah this last friday i got a chance to watch it too!
Hilarious! As expected the Coen's little gore inclusion, Brad Pitt kept in character...the first time i've seen him act like such a dunce (remember he was the ideal alter-ego in fight club for edward)...ok i will be fair they are all dunces in the movie....
the ineptness of the CIA is :shock: :x
John of course can still channel the look of utter confusion from his "of mice and men" character
and Swinton...she always was good at being cold...so very ironic when you know what her occupation is! :wink:

crajkumar_be
25th September 2008, 04:05 PM
Among their films, am yet to watch Miller's Crossing and Burn After Reading

Loved/Liked almost all their other films, with "Intolerable Cruelty" and "Hudsucker Proxy" being the least favorite ones...

The undoubted favorite is without doubt TBL :notworthy:

kannannn
25th September 2008, 04:20 PM
The undoubted favorite is without doubt TBL :notworthy:

Fargo and TBL are very close contenders. The one I like least is Blood Simple. Never came round to understanding what the movie was about :(

I will also say that I liked Ladykillers. IMO, it was one of Tom Hank's best performances. Absolutely entertaining.

Yet to watch NCFOM and BAR (BTW, the exchange between Malkovich and Clooney about lactose allegy reminded me of Simmon's health condition in Ladykillers. What a weird fascination!!)

crajkumar_be
25th September 2008, 04:33 PM
I will also say that I liked Ladykillers. IMO, it was one of Tom Hank's best performances. Absolutely entertaining.

!!)
:exactly:
The weird wacky humor in their films is so arresting

In fact the opening conversation between Steve Buscemi and Bill Macy in the cafe/restaurant in Fargo is a case in point.
"I'm not gonna debate you, Jerry. I'm not gonna sit here and debate." Dunno about others but to me that was :rotfl:

This one guy constantly cutting the other off with utter disdain can also be seen in TBL :lol:

Nerd
29th September 2008, 08:59 PM
Watched O Brother where art thou on TV last night. The key here is to get past the first few minutes. To rephrase, getting used to the slang/setting/situation. The coens have a very weird sense of humour and it worked big time with me. The second half was incredibly funny
Damn we are in a tight spot.
I thought you was a toad
Do NOT seek the treasure
:rotfl: :thumbsup:

m_23_bayarea
10th October 2008, 05:33 AM
How is Burn after Reading? :)

Watchin it tomorrow... :P

great
27th October 2008, 08:30 PM
Among their films, am yet to watch Miller's Crossing and Burn After Reading

Have you seen their Raising Arizona as well?

thilak4life
27th October 2008, 09:15 PM
Raising Arizona is a must-watch. It's simply the purest Coen's film. The critics didn't take it kindly because it subverted the general "tropes" of filmmaking, at least the ones existent around the time. It was also seen as "butchering" the styles of earlier films from hollywood studios, "disrespect" even. But I find it a thoroughly entertaining humorous film with lot of in-your-face symbolism. Nic Cage's acting is starkly different from any other roles he has done.

great
29th October 2008, 10:22 PM
Thanks. Its in my watch list for quite some time :)

ajithfederer
29th October 2008, 10:36 PM
Guys

Is blood simple a B-grade movie. I was reading through wiki's pages for a B-movie and I was shocked to see Blood simple there :roll:

complicateur
30th October 2008, 05:48 AM
[tscii:7aad4dce2c]ajithfederer: Blood Simple was made on a ridiculously low budget (I've heard in the less than 10,000 $ range) so the aesthetics are definitely B movie. Like Tarantino, the Coens also allegedly (havent seen the movie so I am forced to use this word) were heavily influenced by B movies in the making of this movie. To quote Pauline Kael from the New Yorker:
""Blood Simple” has no sense of what we normally think of as “reality,” and it has no connections with “experience.” It’s not a great exercise in style, either. It derives from pop sources—from movies such as “Diabolique” and grubby B pictures and hardboiled steamy fiction such as that of James M. Cain. It’s so derivative that it isn’t a thriller—it’s a crude, ghoulish comedy on thriller themes..........At moments, the awkwardness of the line readings is reminiscent of George Romero’s “Night of the Living Dead,” but “Blood Simple” doesn’t have the genuine creepiness of the Romero film. And though the dialogue is much sharper and smarter than Romero’s dialogue, the actors talk so slowly it’s as if the script were written in cement on Hollywood Boulevard. The picture is overcalculated—pulpy yet art-conscious. "
The movie however went on to earn cult status much like its sources. "B movie" I guess is used more as a reflection of the stylisation than as an indicator of an inherent lack of quality (though Kael seemed to think it did significantly lack in quality).[/tscii:7aad4dce2c]

ajithfederer
4th November 2008, 10:36 PM
Thanks complicateur :)

thilak4life
4th November 2008, 11:19 PM
[tscii:965a4af21c]Coens made "Blood simple", and they redefined their style, form, content, and story in their subsequent films, but pretty much revolved around the same themes that they first started out with BS. And thanks to complicateur, this particular line "it’s a crude, ghoulish comedy on thriller themes." applies to most Coen films, and almost always it works. As for BS,. it looks and feels a B grade movie, but at the time of its release, it was seen as a milestone in independent low-budget films.

Personally, I liked the film inspite of its bloody simplicity. It feels like an academia film by Coen's before they started out to more serious filmmaking. But as I said, it has everything you'd expect from a Coen brothers' films - infidelity, failed scheme, a mandatory evil figurehead, distrust, dumb characters, or what have you. And of course, I hear they have limited perception of Southerners in their films. And yeah, it makes sense. None more so than in "Blood Simple". But they have improved in their later films. Tommy Lee Jones in NCFOM for example.[/tscii:965a4af21c]

Nerd
7th November 2008, 08:49 AM
Finally got a chance to watch Burn After Reading. An intelligent film on a bunch of morons. The film does not have a central character like The Dude but all of them do exceptionally well. Brad Pitt was the most hilarious followed by Malkovich and Clooney. Loved Clooney's state of paranoia in the Brad Pitt-Closet scene and in his final scene :rotfl: Found Frances McDormand very good - awesome acting. And the CIA superior's "Jesus, What a Cluster****!" comment at the end sums the whole movie up. A must watch 8-)

crajkumar_be
7th November 2008, 03:40 PM
Dark Knight and now this from Thalaivargal....
:curse:

Thilak,
inga release pannuvaingala? Eppo?

ajithfederer
7th November 2008, 09:50 PM
Naanga dhan sonnom'la :smokesmirk:

Finally got a chance to watch Burn After Reading. An intelligent film on a bunch of morons. The film does not have a central character like The Dude but all of them do exceptionally well. Brad Pitt was the most hilarious followed by Malkovich and Clooney. Loved Clooney's state of paranoia in the Brad Pitt-Closet scene and in his final scene :rotfl: Found Frances McDormand very good - awesome acting. And the CIA superior's "Jesus, What a Cluster****!" comment at the end sums the whole movie up. A must watch 8-)

thilak4life
7th November 2008, 10:20 PM
Thilak,
inga release pannuvaingala? Eppo?Bala, Not much chance of a release. :(

ajithfederer
9th November 2008, 07:33 AM
Raising Arizona :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fun Movie. Must watch 8-)

ajithfederer
9th November 2008, 07:38 AM
:exactly:

Holly Hunter was good too :).

Raising Arizona is a must-watch. It's simply the purest Coen's film. The critics didn't take it kindly because it subverted the general "tropes" of filmmaking, at least the ones existent around the time. It was also seen as "butchering" the styles of earlier films from hollywood studios, "disrespect" even. But I find it a thoroughly entertaining humorous film with lot of in-your-face symbolism. Nic Cage's acting is starkly different from any other roles he has done.

thilak4life
9th November 2008, 02:19 PM

The stunts were equally :lol: Absolutely B-grade stuff. :D

ajithfederer
10th November 2008, 09:35 PM
But they were very unique, IMO.

The stunts were equally :lol: Absolutely B-grade stuff. :D

kannannn
17th November 2008, 01:01 AM
Burn After Reading - Absolutely enjoyed it. Not in the league of Fargo or TBL, but good nonetheless. John Malkovich and Frances McDormand were both superb as usual. ('Drinking problem? You are a Mormon. Compared to you everyone has a drinking problem' :lol: ).

Is it just me, or do Coen brothers have a tendency to side with their women? In this one, the plot is essentially set in motion by the women, but it is they who emerge unscathed. While all the male characters' lives are changed forever, the female characters get to move on with their lives as if nothing ever happened!! Neat, very neat :D.

complicateur
17th November 2008, 10:40 AM
Is it just me, or do Coen brothers have a tendency to side with their women? In this one, the plot is essentially set in motion by the women, but it is they who emerge unscathed. While all the male characters' lives are changed forever, the female characters get to move on with their lives as if nothing ever happened!! Neat, very neat :D.
Interesting point! I never considered it because I thought they were fairly unsympathetic towards Tilda Swinton's character. My take was that the more innocent and well meaning the person is the more certain they are to get trampled over.

kannannn
17th November 2008, 09:43 PM
My take was that the more innocent and well meaning the person is the more certain they are to get trampled over.
Yes Complicateur!! I agree :D. That's what makes it dark. The Coens seem to have trampled (as you put it) with glee upon the innocent, letting the more deserving characters get away with lesser punishment.

As for the Katie Cox character, being the b*itch she is, she shouldn't find it hard to get on with her life. In fact, all the female characters embody a degree of cunningness and manipulativeness not apparent at the first instance.

BTW, thaks for reminding about Tilda Swinton. She had me spellbound whenever she appeared on screen :notworthy: . I don't think there is anyone else who could have played Katie Cox with such ease. Two scenes deserve mention - at bed with Clooney, she is taken aback with indignation when Clooney refuses to acknowledge the same about his wife after badmouthing John Malkovich, her husband and the one at her office, where is threatening the kid in front of his mother, very much contradicting the image of a paediatrician.

complicateur
17th November 2008, 10:45 PM
BTW, thaks for reminding about Tilda Swinton. She had me spellbound whenever she appeared on screen :notworthy: She first caught my eye in a movie called Female Perversions. She plays a cold lawyer with masochist inclinations and I remember being completely haunted by her paleness and angular features. And then when they literally cast her as an ice-queen in the Narnia movie I couldnt help thinking that there couldn't be a more perfect casting choice.
But then I happened to catch 2 movies one called Thumbsucker where she plays an insecure housewife obsessed with an actor and Michael Clayton (She is quite evil in the movie but it at least seemed like the character had a conscience). It is simply lovely to watch an actress with her range.

Nerd
24th November 2008, 05:24 AM
Watched Raising Arizona on TV. An 80s masala with the usual Coen ingredients. The script has some loose ends and guess this one's definitely not from the Coens' top shelf. Worth a watch nevertheless. Kannan's theory fails w.r.to this movie I think. Holly Hunter was the worst affected at the end of it all :P

kannannn
25th November 2008, 02:52 AM
AppO theory rejeeted :lol: . I have watched Raising Arizona only in bits and pieces. With Thilak raving about it and you not being very sympathetic, I am a bit torn now.

thilak4life
25th November 2008, 10:34 PM
With Thilak raving about it and you not being very sympathetic, I am a bit torn now.

The truth is somewhere in between... :D

thilak4life
30th November 2008, 01:42 AM
Watched "Burn after reading". Certainly not one of Coen's best films (ala Fargo say). This is certainly not a conventional comedy, but there are genuine moments of :lol:

I'm in agreement with Kannannn about the film's male-female predestine in Coens' world.

The three women in the film (Katie, Linda, Sandy) are all self-absorbed. Sandy and Katie are both guilty of infidelity, and behind their husbands back, approach divorce firms to get rid of them (relationship). Linda, a gym instructor/worker, not exactly guilty, but equally disruptive for her selfish interests. She forces her hardbodies manager (ex-priest), and Chad to enter Ozzie's house, and things turn ugly. She shows some dangerous mor(m)onic nature in taking the tape to Russian embassy too. This female persuasion and infidelity(in both the marriages) pivots the male characters and provides the twist. Coens doesn't show a slight bit of empathy to the men. :lol:

The simpletons (Chad), benignant (Ted) are not spared, for breaking the Osbourne house, or IOW, acting for Linda. Ozzie is coarse on the outside, but for his straightforward and honest inclinations, turns all his anger to Ted ("Oh yes. You see, you're one of the morons I've been fighting my whole life. My whole fucking life. But guess what. Today I win.." with whiskey in his hand) Coens in return, were sympathetic enough to award Ozzie a lifelong Coma. Womanizer Harry (with an excellent turn by George Clooney) is spared by Coens..but he is just romantically "broken" (and quivered). Most generously awarded for being the least deserving man (of the bunch). :lol:

Sid_316
30th November 2008, 01:54 AM
//dig

Hey thilak wats ur disp pic? and whr's ur quote from?

/end dig/

thilak4life
30th November 2008, 02:15 AM
//dig

Hey thilak wats ur disp pic? and whr's ur quote from?

/end dig/

The moment (Display pic) is narrated by Sandy Bates (Woody allen) in the film Stardust memories. Woody Allen's "8 1/2". The quote is part of what he narrates.

The full quote is,

"Just a little while back, just before I died in fact. I was on the operating table and I was searching to try to find something to hang onto, you know, cause when you're dying your life really does become very authentic and I was reaching for something to give my life meaning and a memory flashed through my mind:

It was one of those great spring days, it was Sunday, and you knew summer would be coming soon. And I remember that morning Dorrie and I had gone for a walk in the park and come back to the apartment. We were just sort of sitting around and I put on a record of Louie Armstrong which was music I grew up with and it was very, very pretty, and I happened to glance over and I saw Dorrie sitting there. And I remember thinking to myself how terrific she was and how much I loved her.

And I don't know, I guess it was a combination of everything, the sound of the music, and the breeze, and how beautiful Dorrie looked to me and for one brief moment everything just seemed to come together perfectly and I felt happy, almost indestructible in a way. It's funny, that simple little moment of contact moved me in a very, very profound way."

Dorrie is the lady in picture, she looks great in this scene, arguably one of the beautiful moments ever captured in film. :P

that brief moment of contact (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2qHLMaqASq0) - an instant of indestructible blitheness (As he put it), and I sort of related to its profoundness after watching that scene and the movie.

Louis Armstrong's Star Dust playing in the background adds greatly to the effect. Btw, the reactions of the audience follows this recollection by Allen. It ranges thus: "Cop-out artist!", "That was so beautiful." "Why do all comedians turn out to be sentimental bores?", Contrasting reactions.

The film is not an answer from a filmmaker, but an elucidation of his works in context of his personal life (From upbringing, parents, siblings, to the relationships), and non-personal inspirations - influence of Fellini, the impact of a friend's "death" (His shift to serious drama from slapstick comedy), religious inclinations, and of course, that mandatory Wild strawberries dream (hence, influence of Bergman), surrealism, etc. It encompasses stereotyped reactions of critics, and fans - which came off as sincere humour, and not arrogant in any form. Through this character, Allen canvasses himself (as a "filmmaker" foremost, the only time he ever did so to this effect).

I heard the film is regarded as one of his personal best (That is, the one that comes closest to what he set out for).

MrJudge
3rd December 2008, 10:46 AM
Watched 'Burn After Reading' - Good one from the brothers.

ajithfederer
7th June 2009, 12:32 AM
NCFOM again :clap:

P_R
13th June 2009, 03:52 PM
The Big Lebowski :lol:

Length, meandering, unevenness pOnRa pala kambLaindugaL irundhaalum I enjoyed it very much.

The Coens have the best sense of humour in Hollywood

Getting thrown out of the cab :lol: ellAm vEra yaar ezhudhuvaanga

Rug peers do not do this :rotfl2:

One of the goons asks about the bowling ball
P1: What's this ?
Dude: Obviously you're not a golfer. :lol:

John Goodman as Walter is the best thing in the movie :rotfl:
He is fun in every single scene he is in.

I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon... with nail polish :lol:

this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules :lol:

Dude: He has emotional problems ?
Walter: Beyond pacifism :lol:

Calmer than you are :clap:

Eight-year-olds, Dude. :rotfl: :rotfl:

Donny: They posted the next round dates
Walter (instincively) Donny shut the f.... when is our game ? :lol:

I told that.. (asks Donny who was at the scheduling desk and it is a German name)..I told that Kraut a million times.... :rotfl3:

The Larry investigation and the speech in 'Donny's memory....chance-E illai

Steve Buscemi is brilliant

Yeah, Walter, what's your point? :lol:
Who's got your undies Walter :lol:
The way he keepts butting ...for instance...I am the walrus :rotfl3:
In and out burger :rotfl:
After that the Dude starts saying "there are lots of ins and outs in this" :lol:

How do you write/conceive such things. :bow:

VENKIRAJA
13th June 2009, 07:35 PM

Woody?

this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules :lol:
Yeah, Walter, what's your point? :lol:
Who's got your undies Walter :lol:
How do you write/conceive such things. :bow:

:happydance:
Amazing ones!

They are f'ing amatuers dude! :rotfl: :rotfl2:

P_R
15th June 2009, 11:23 AM

Woody?

Woody exempted. It is not fair to the others if he is included in the comparison. :-)

groucho070
15th June 2009, 12:13 PM

Woody?

Woody exempted. It is not fair to the others if he is included in the comparison. :-)Marx birathers? Okay, I am asking too much.

P_R
15th June 2009, 12:15 PM
I am yet to watch your other recommendations Groucho. Till now it has only been Duck Soup.

In Manhattan when Woody is listing down the things that makes life worth living he mentions Groucho Marx early in the list :-)

...but then he also mention Bergman :?

groucho070
15th June 2009, 12:19 PM
Speaking of Coens, I got around and watched NCFOM. Awesome! Effin Awesome I tell you. Everything...almost perfect, from the cinematography, onscreen performance, background score and yes, hats off to the brothers.

P_R
15th June 2009, 12:22 PM
Though TBL was funnier than BAR, the latter was lot more tighter. TBL got way to twisted and kinda made me tune off at one point. BAR was just great, just that it is not a laugh-out-loud movie.

Fargo is still the topper in my books

groucho070
15th June 2009, 03:22 PM
Wonder how many here saw The Hudsucker Proxy. I simply love the film...plus it has the revered Paul Newman hamming it up.

crajkumar_be
15th June 2009, 04:26 PM
Glad you liked TBL PR :)

Walter (instincively) Donny shut the f.... when is our game ?
:rotfl3: This is the best. Absolutely :notworthy:

:yes:

crajkumar_be
15th June 2009, 04:28 PM
Wonder how many here saw The Hudsucker Proxy. I simply love the film...plus it has the revered Paul Newman hamming it up.
Seen it but not a big fan of the movie...

ajithfederer
15th June 2009, 09:31 PM
Ungalukku ministryla edam paakurein.

Speaking of Coens, I got around and watched NCFOM. Awesome! Effin Awesome I tell you. Everything...almost perfect, from the cinematography, onscreen performance, background score and yes, hats off to the brothers.

kannannn
16th June 2009, 09:11 PM
Though TBL was funnier than BAR, the latter was lot more tighter. TBL got way to twisted and kinda made me tune off at one point.

I think the pace and mood of TBL was very much in keeping with the nature of 'The Dude' - laid back, aimless and easy. In fact, the movie works because of these very characteristics. Another Coens movie that springs to mind is 'O Brother..' where it is impossible to guess the turns the story might take - just like the ad-hoc decisions the fugitives take along the way to find their treasure.

P_R
16th June 2009, 10:39 PM
I think the pace and mood of TBL was very much in keeping with the nature of 'The Dude' - laid back, aimless and easy. Oh ok. Actually 'The Dude' was not the best part of the movie for me. After some time the Dudeness kind of wore off. It was the situations which were comical

The clever pencil scratching at the porn-magnate's place :lol:
In sloshed earnestness: "He treats objects like women"

and things like that which were funny for reasons other than the Dudeness.

It is Walter who had me in splits till the very end. He became kinda predictable after a while but still remained funny right through.

equanimus
16th June 2009, 10:58 PM
After some time the Dudeness kind of wore off.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

crajkumar_be
16th June 2009, 11:04 PM
In sloshed earnestness: "He treats objects like women"

It's actually an accurate statement, though he didn't intend it that way :lol:

crajkumar_be
16th June 2009, 11:05 PM
After some time the Dudeness kind of wore off.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
:lol:

Its a tad unfair to The dude that he had to be eclipsed by Walter, who is just unbeatable. The Dude rocks forver in his own right, however :)

kannannn
16th June 2009, 11:17 PM
Another easily overlooked performance is that of Philip Seymour Hoffman. The sheepish grin, the hurried walk and eagerness to represent his Master's interests at every turn added just that right amount of humour. Hoffman :notworthy: :notworthy:

crajkumar_be
16th June 2009, 11:21 PM
Another easily overlooked performance is that of Philip Seymour Hoffman. The sheepish grin, the hurried walk and eagerness to represent his Master's interests at every turn added just that right amount of humour. Hoffman :notworthy: :notworthy:
Absolutely! Especially the scene where Mrs. Lebowski makes Dude 'the offer' :rotfl2:

equanimus
16th June 2009, 11:26 PM
Absolutely! He's just great. I just love all the performances in this film.

P_R
6th September 2009, 04:56 PM
Raising Arizona

oru thadavai paakkalaam

kannannn
6th September 2009, 07:20 PM
Raising Arizona

oru thadavai paakkalaam

Adhu kooda adhigam. I lost interest by the scene where Cage is chased by the cops.

crajkumar_be
7th September 2009, 11:32 AM
Watched RA twice and loved it. In fact, all Coen films are for repeat viewing with Intolerable Cruelty and Hudsucker Proxy being possible exceptions, IMO :twisted:

P_R
7th September 2009, 12:33 PM
Raising Arizona

oru thadavai paakkalaam

Adhu kooda adhigam. I lost interest by the scene where Cage is chased by the cops.

It was quite enjoyable.
I liked that chase too...the old man who provides Nicolas Cage the ride asking if he can stop, the dog pack, Cage finally picking up the nappies :lol:

It has many many good moments. The pollack joke thing (Polish cop clicks pen :lol:)

Many signature Coen stuff: Cage writing the goodbye letter and waking up on to John Goodman's : "today's the beginning of the rest of your life...clicks the shotgun" :rotfl:

The silliness is great. It didn't have the kind of flow and stream of funny moments some of their other films have had. So sometimes it felt like I was trying to like it.

kannannn
7th September 2009, 07:56 PM
Neenga sonnatha mind'la vechukkaren :D. May be it is just me.

groucho070
16th September 2009, 10:56 AM
Not aware of this. Has anyone here seen the original? Not a fan of Wayne's.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=59010

Bridges to Star in Coen Brothers' True Grit

Source:Variety September 10, 2009

Jeff Bridges is in talks to star in Joel and Ethan Coen's remake of True Grit for Paramount Pictures. He last worked with the Coens on 1998's The Big Lebowski.

Bridges would play the role that won John Wayne an Oscar for the 1969 original

The film, which also reunites the Coens with their No Country for Old Men producing partner Scott Rudin, has been redrafted by the brothers to be more faithful to the Charles Portis novel on which the original film was based.

The story centers on a 14-year-old girl who tags along with an aging U.S. marshal, Rooster Cogburn, and another lawman to track the outlaw who killed her father.

kid-glove
16th September 2009, 02:06 PM
Coens directly another western. Now if it is remotely as good as NCFOM, it will gather massive support.

Not a fan of Wayne either. Jeff Bridges as Wayne? Interesting choice.

groucho070
16th September 2009, 02:59 PM
Not a fan of Wayne either. Jeff Bridges as Wayne? Interesting choice.Bridges is better than Wayne :twisted:

kid-glove
16th September 2009, 03:37 PM
Not a fan of Wayne either. Jeff Bridges as Wayne? Interesting choice.Bridges is better than Wayne :twisted:
It's not a question of "better" if anything. Wayne looked to have perfected a 'style' for westerns, until a "colossus" happened in mid-60's, which proved style can be perceived without even trying.

P_R
16th September 2009, 05:59 PM
NCFOM is the least interesting Coens film I have watched thus far. paappOm...

kid-glove
16th September 2009, 07:51 PM
Not the biggest fan of the film myself, but I loved the set-pieces. Rather "Burn after reading" than NCFOM because that's more closer to Coens forte. But I guess they're looking to expand their cinematic horizon. There is also a rivalry between likes of PT Anderson, Coens, and QT to venture off their alley, and do better than each other.

ajithfederer
16th September 2009, 07:55 PM
NCFOM for Fargo anyday!!!

kid-glove
16th September 2009, 08:09 PM
NCFOM for Fargo anyday!!!

Feddy, I don't refute your opinion, but definitely Fargo has more merits in my estimation.

P_R
16th September 2009, 08:25 PM
Fargo is not only the best Coens film but also one of the of all time bests. Things go bad and man is hilariously out of control, an absurd comical clown in fact and it is all quite embarassingly tragic. This can be said of many of their films. They may 'up the lightness' more in some of the films (BAR) to the point of being silly or fable-like (Hudsucker). But I found it hard to take it seriously when they were plain serious about it, as in NCFOM.

P_R
16th September 2009, 08:28 PM
Frances McDormand's dinner with the old Japanese classmate. How do you write such moments ? :lol:

ajithfederer
16th September 2009, 09:33 PM
NCFOM was a well made thriller. I mean it was thrilling. When I watched NCFOM for the first time I was literally taken aback by the coldness of the antoganist Javier bardem. I mean I have seen so many portrayals of psyho mad killers but man this guy tops the list. Cut from the first scene where he strangles the police officer to death, the coin toss scene at the gas station, his rendevouz with Woody harrelson were all well made thrilling scenes. Mind you the Coens never made use of bgm and it was never needed. The way he talks with the old lady in Josh Brolin's apartment was :rotfl2: and :shaking: at the same time. Padathai ivanukaagave paakalam.

Josh Brolin trying to escape with the money and Tomy lee jones trying to grab both of em alive were good. NCFOM had everything done well. This is one of the best in this decade from Hollywood. One of the best made Westerns i say. In Fargo I don't have so many moments to cherish. It is just a kidnap tale gone wrong with some funny moments. FARGO is certainly not the best of Coen's for me.

Nerd
17th September 2009, 02:20 AM
Feddy, largely agree with you but I have problems with the way the film ended. Last 30 mins or so actually. I, unlike PR could take the film seriously like how they intended the film to be. In fact the first couple of hours was so arresting that I became completely unawhare of whats happening around me (Later came to know that couple of my friends had slept :oops: ) But I would put Fargo (and TBL too) ahead of NCFOM but only slightly :D

How about a Poll? :P

groucho070
17th September 2009, 07:21 AM
It's not a question of "better" if anything. Wayne looked to have perfected a 'style' for westerns, until a "colossus" happened in mid-60's, which proved style can be perceived without even trying. :thumbsup:

kid-glove
17th September 2009, 12:22 PM
Cut from the first scene where he strangles the police officer to death,
the coin toss scene at the gas station,
his rendevouz with Woody harrelson were all well made thrilling scenes.
Mind you the Coens never made use of bgm and it was never needed. The way he talks with the old lady in Josh Brolin's apartment was :rotfl2: and :shaking: at the same time.
:clap:
Some of the set-pieces were absolutely stunning. Especially the border town hotel one with Chigurh hunting for Moss. Whoa, that's breathtaking to watch in theater, especially the economical usage of pictures (fully centered on Moss), while the sound (in the lobby) alerting him, and his anticipation with his gun in side the room, and shadow of Chigurh in the corridor. Then the breakage to the streets. Art of choreographing an "action" sequence. :notworthy:

Also reminds one of denouement in "Blood simple".

kid-glove
17th September 2009, 12:33 PM
Feddy, largely agree with you but I have problems with the way the film ended. Last 30 mins or so actually. I, unlike PR could take the film seriously like how they intended the film to be. In fact the first couple of hours was so arresting that I became completely unawhare of whats happening around me (Later came to know that couple of my friends had slept :oops: ) But I would put Fargo (and TBL too) ahead of NCFOM but only slightly :D

I concur.

ajithfederer
17th September 2009, 08:59 PM
Actually I like the way the film ended in NCFOM by having a no ending. Edhukku ella padathuliyum oru ending irukanum?. Stories like these go on forevernnu sollama sollitaanga birathars.

K_g: Nice point on that hotel shooting episode. Many such set pieces made wonders to this film. This is the best of Coen's. i don't even want to talk about Bar-go.

P_R
17th September 2009, 09:11 PM
Frankly in NCFOM, was a "enna solla vareenga" film for me. It felt kinda laborious to come to 'Triumph and endurance of evil'. Largely because the killer was all very showy. And it felt, very early, that there was going to be no way for them to 'justify' the bizzareness of going on. And bizzareness goes down smoothly (only) when one is made to laugh at it.

Otherwise with Javier Bardem looking cold and distant, Tommy Lee Jones looking bored and tired, I kind of reacted the same way.

I mean...the sweating milk bottle...I can't wait for someone (Family Guy perhaps) to spoof such 'meditative' moments.

ajithfederer
17th September 2009, 09:20 PM
P_R

Did you see NCFOM in theatres?. Why does a director have to justify something in a movie?. Can't anybody tell a story for godsakes?. Tommy lee jones is tired because he is helpless in not controlling the crime in the area. Villain was showy eh. Avan pesaradhe 5-6 vaarthai dhan :lol:.

NCFOM is very straight there was no rocket science involved. Only a three way cat and mouse game.

ajithfederer
17th September 2009, 09:27 PM
Apply the same analogy of Javier Bardem to joker from the dark Knight. Is there any justification for what he does?. He just wants complete chaos and so is this guy here. He kills his people(He uses a coin toss on some innocent victims) and for some others he just kills them randomly to get going. Avvalo dhan.

P_R
17th September 2009, 09:36 PM
I saw it in a flight.

They don't have to 'justify' in the traditional sense justifying his 'actions' with a flashback etc. But if they are not doing that they have to make the person engrossing and 'sell' the fact that he is meaninglessly brutal and that's what it is.

What I meant was, they should earn the interest of the audience. That didn't happen with me. I watched it when I didn't know what a Coens movie looked like. So I wasn't expecting an 'absurd comedy' or anything like that. I was quite open minded and eager without strong predispositions. And yet...

In Fargo, during the kidnap scene, Steve Buscemi's partner lets the chase go and goes to bathroom for antisceptic. Now something important happens there. But even without that it is quite 'interesting' to see him abandon the kidnapping and take a detour for antisceptic :lol: . At odds with what one would expect for a tough thug in the middle of an assignment. Funny but very very credible. Perhaps because it was an odd quirk within a familiar, believable framework,motivation.So if you are going to go without that, there is just more work to do.

When Bardem kills people with that contraption I couldn't help think of Donald Kaufman's question to Charlie in Adaptation

"I need a cool way to kill people" :lol2:

Not to poke too much fun. Just to say, I wouldn't be thinking of this if I could have bought into the movie sufficiently.

P_R
17th September 2009, 09:41 PM
Apply the same analogy of Javier Bardem to joker from the dark Knight. Is there any justification for what he does?. He just wants complete chaos and so is this guy here. He kills his people(He uses a coin toss on some innocent victims) and for some others he just kills them randomly to get going. Avvalo dhan.

True. I am not disputing that at all. See the post above.

The Joker was convincing and scary in his madness. That Nolan got us to believe that is what makes him so great. Plus, with due respect to Nolan, one has to grant that we knew the Joker before we watched the film. And the way Nolan made the Joker scary was by making him real by making it difficult to dismiss him as a freak. Again I am not saying this is the exact prescription - that we should relate to him on our terms to love/hate. But I should be interested enough to consider. Else it is watching cool for the sake of cool.

sake hands ? :P

ajithfederer
17th September 2009, 10:59 PM
I don't get what you mean.

If you are saying that you are not interested with the subject, that is fine i agree tastes differ.

If you had seen the movie he just uses the "captive bolt pistol" to open doors and the silencer gun to kill people. He uses both of em just to reduce the noise factor. Idhula enna cool-nnu enaku puriala. Anyways sake hands :wave:.

When Bardem kills people with that contraption I couldn't help think of Donald Kaufman's question to Charlie in Adaptation

"I need a cool way to kill people" :lol2:.

Vivasaayi
17th September 2009, 11:13 PM
p underscore r,

coolname...any reason behind it?..or just for the sake of being cool?hehe

for me bardems role was really engrossing...even the "coin tossing" was intense...rather than being cool.

but then...why should there be a reason for being cool...

ajithfederer
17th September 2009, 11:19 PM
:rotfl: :lol2:.

p underscore r,

coolname...any reason behind it?..or just for the sake of being cool?hehe

P_R
17th September 2009, 11:49 PM
I don't get what you mean.

If you are saying that you are not interested with the subject, that is fine i agree tastes differ.
Largely yes. And I am blaming it on the Coens for not making it interesting for me. :lol2:

If you had seen the movie
nijamaa paarthEnga. sonnaa nambaNum.

he just uses the "captive bolt pistol" to open doors and the silencer gun to kill people. Isn't there one old guy in a car that he kills with the bolt pistol ?

Idhula enna cool-nnu enaku puriala. Ah come on. The captive bolt pistol is a cool new toy. Tossing a coin to bump off people. Quite a "stand apart" style. udanE andha padathula avar appidi paNNalaiyAnnu kEkkAdheenga.

Anyway....kaiyai kulikkiyAchchu.
Fargo essay .....in process :twisted:

P_R
17th September 2009, 11:54 PM
p underscore r,

coolname...any reason behind it?..or just for the sake of being cool?hehe :-)
Reason irukkunu sonnA nambavA pOreenga
anaal neenga cool-nu sonnadhai nambittEn

for me bardems role was really engrossing...even the "coin tossing" was intense...rather than being cool. andha engross dhaan prachanai...ennaku sonnEn. I am trying to understand why I didn't like the film.

but then...why should there be a reason for being cool... Not always. It works better that way usually. Kill Bill excepted :D

kid-glove
18th September 2009, 12:07 AM
It's heavily based on the book with not enough subversion we'd come to expect from a normal Coens film. At the same time, they maintain they want to do something new and fresh, but they can't shake off their 'signature' and thematic similarities as perceived by their fans. :D

About NCFOM - Cattle gun was used in the book as well. And that's quite an unfashionable device. It's an effective weapon as it leaves no trace of bullets (when asked abut it in an interview, Coens cheekily put it as "It gets the job done."). But as Feddy noted, he also carries a silenced gun. And imagine the stupid haircut to a Pantomime-like figure, with a husky voice reserved for obscure musings. And the killings weren't "cool" either, it was quick, and dark. Chilling is the word. Kudos to Deakins cinematography, as it is in deed 'grim' as he wanted it to be. but the chase and the events (notably the setpieces) were done in an engrossing manner.

About the 'psycho', I read it a bit differently. His philosophy of killing people has more to it - while there is no verbose moments to present himself as Joker and Hannibal Lectur, Chigurh looks down at his victims. He thinks of himself as a superior being. He would only give them a chance of a toss to spare their lives. Humans use bolt gun to slaughter cattle, a lesser being. In a similar metaphorical way, Chigurh uses it on 'lesser' victims to relieve the pain of existence, which he deems insignificantly piffle.

Btw Coens are exact opposite of "I need a cool way to kill people". That's more up the alley of QT's "Natural born killers" personifications, especially Kill Bill, which by the way we all embrace and love. NCFOM is pretty uncool.

kid-glove
18th September 2009, 12:22 AM
P_r, Not every filmmaker and not every film should cater to your idea of filmmaking. Well we've discussed this before.

Fargo essay .....in process
Looking forward..

ajithfederer
18th September 2009, 12:24 AM
Meant to write, "In the movie". Sorry i should have worded it correctly. Thanks k_g for putting it better.

nijamaa paarthEnga. sonnaa nambaNum.

P_R
18th September 2009, 12:34 AM
P_r, Not every filmmaker and not every film should cater to your idea of filmmaking. Well we've discussed this before.
Of course.I too hope it is a phase...and I will eventually expand horizons etc. I see I am not getting any younger.

For now though, I have kind of given up on trying to appreciate things on the lines of: "Even though it did not impress me, I objectively see why this can be appreciated etc.". appuram consistentA ellAm irukka solvaanga :lol2:

kid-glove
18th September 2009, 12:40 AM
I appreciate subjectivity, and enjoy reading your stance. But why is it you keep taking potshots at musing 'Meditative' films for example? It breaks my heart. :(

P_R
18th September 2009, 01:37 AM
Thank You. Will try and rein in, may let slip now and then else it gets boring :-)

groucho070
18th September 2009, 08:39 AM
Hmmm...name change. So we call you PR as usual or P underscore R (copied your call on Bala's unsername :P )?

P_R
18th September 2009, 09:08 AM
P_R : A rose by any other name called... :P

GM: adadada.... periya sEkspearu plAsaby pEsuraaru ading..

groucho070
18th September 2009, 09:33 AM
:lol:

Plum
18th September 2009, 08:03 PM
Hmmm...name change. So we call you PR as usual or P underscore R (copied your call on Bala's unsername :P )?

oh yeah I wanted to ask about CR's id - adhukku enna artham - Bala bracket pOtta Karthik-A? ;-)

kid-glove
18th September 2009, 11:53 PM
Thank You. Will try and rein in, may let slip now and then else it gets boring :-)

Please do continue. This emoticon :P should have replaced :(

:D

Nerd
23rd September 2009, 03:25 AM
A Serious Man (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcUTv3LH3ss&hd=1) - Releasing Oct 2nd. Looks interesting.

kid-glove
26th September 2009, 07:58 PM
Intriguing, and can't wait any further. I guess they wanted to do this after NCFOM. This rings a bell like "Barton Fink", which was done when facing difficulties during making of "Miller's crossing", and ended up being a superior work. And I did see 'Burn after reading' as something written it in a zip, & as the title suggest, 'burn after reading'. :P

Question 35 (http://www.thesundayindian.com/tamil/20091004/) : "No country for Old men" :clap:

Nice to see Magnolia being mentioned. Coens/PTA/QT - Trinity of new American cinema! :yessir:

Appu s
7th December 2009, 04:07 PM
TBL :clap: :clap: , but i rate Fargo & NCFOM higher than TBL :D

Nerd
7th May 2010, 07:36 AM
Did anybody see "A serious man"

I just saw it. Loads of hebrew, very very vague ending. I know the film on the whole has a profound meaning and is related to the Jewish Bible (just read from imdb) etc. but did not work for me. The humor was very dry too. There were a few interesting, very very Coen scenes though.

kid-glove
7th May 2010, 10:57 AM
Did anybody see "A serious man"

I just saw it. Loads of hebrew, very very vague ending. I know the film on the whole has a profound meaning and is related to the Jewish Bible (just read from imdb) etc. but did not work for me. The humor was very dry too. There were a few interesting, very very Coen scenes though.

I saw (http://mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=2029530)

Nerd
7th May 2010, 09:26 PM
I saw (http://mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=2029530)
Thanks kid :-) :P :smokesmile: :lol: :( :argh: :D

tamizharasan
10th May 2010, 11:27 PM
No country for old men gave me one of the most satisfying movie watching experiences among hollywood movies. I have not seen a such an engrossing thriller since Silence of the Lambs.

ajithfederer
10th May 2010, 11:34 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

One of the decade's best from HW.

No country for old men gave me one of the most satisfying movie watching experiences among hollywood movies. I have not seen a such an engrossing thriller since Silence of the Lambs.

tamizharasan
10th May 2010, 11:43 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

One of the decade's best from HW.

Defintely one of the decade's best if not the best movie of the decade.

Appu s
11th May 2010, 12:37 AM
:bow: My fav. too , watched it around 5 times.. especially the villain :bow:

Plum
21st June 2010, 07:40 PM
[tscii:70e1688fd7]
I dont know nary a thing about them but this interview was hilarious: (http://prempanicker.wordpress.com/2010/06/18/lights-camera-animals/)

Playboy: What can you do with a baby that you can’t do with an animal?

Ethan: A million things.

Joel: The pit. You can’t do that with animals.

Ethan: Believe me, it is remarkable thing to see how animals are monitored. You cannot kill a mosquito on screen.

Joel: When you do a Screen Actors Guild movie that uses animals in any way you have to get the American Humane Society to sign off on it. We blew up a cow in O Brother, which meant we had to send the Humane Society work tapes while the film was being shot. When they saw the cow scene they didn’t believe it was computer generated, but I assure you it was.

Ethan: There is a rule that you can’t get a cow anywhere near a moving car.

Joel: It might cause the cow stress.

Ethan: You can’t upset the animals.

[/tscii:70e1688fd7]

Plum
21st June 2010, 07:40 PM
[tscii:5b9aa7f435]And this:

Playboy: What’s a lizard crash pad?

Ethan: A lizard shoots off a rock in the movie, and we had to have a preapproved soft place for it to land.

Joel: Yeah. With babies, you don’t have to bother about all that stuff.

[/tscii:5b9aa7f435]

P_R
1st August 2010, 08:47 PM
O Brother Where at Thou

Hmm...kinda bland.

Avadi to America
3rd August 2010, 12:59 AM
anyone watched miller's crossing????

kid-glove
3rd August 2010, 03:55 AM
I saw. Don't remember the different plot points as it's somewhat convoluted with a whole lot of double crossing involved. But what struck me was the relationship between Byrne's character (what a nuanced performance) and Finney's character (who is brilliant in that action set-piece with Thomo submach & night gown :lol: ) . And both their relationships to the woman, Gay Harden's character..

P_R
14th August 2010, 12:23 PM
A Serious Man - enna viLayAttu idhu :x

Bala (Karthik)
14th August 2010, 10:49 PM
anyone watched miller's crossing????
Watched and liked it..but don't remember much as usual... :oops:

Bala (Karthik)
15th August 2010, 01:07 AM
I saw. Don't remember the different plot points as it's somewhat convoluted with a whole lot of double crossing involved. But what struck me was the relationship between Byrne's character (what a nuanced performance) and Finney's character (who is brilliant in that action set-piece with Thomo submach & night gown :lol: ) . And both their relationships to the woman, Gay Harden's character..
In fact, i've seen an interview where the Coens' say it (plot, convolusions) were difficult even for them...

kid-glove
15th August 2010, 02:48 AM
B(K),
Yeah and they wrote Barton Fink (they had John Turturro in mind, who plays Gay Harden's brother, a pivotal character, in Miller's) when they suffered this lapse! Interestingly it's about a playwright who suffers from writer's block when confronted to write a script by Hollywood studio head. Lot more minimalistic and low budget, seemingly more personal. Yet, it's amazing how they manage to bring truth to different period pieces with such ease. Can't wait for True Grit in this regard ! Obviously, bigger the budget, the Period is more expansively detailed.

In this regard, as I said to Dagalti in twitter, I regard Zodiac as a meaningful departure (apart from other sign(s) of maturity) for Fincher from 7, Fight club, and in general, geographically nonspecific contemporary films.

kid-glove
9th November 2010, 02:18 AM
Reading Charles Portis's "True Grit" at the moment.

The Opening paragraph of old woman reminiscing: "People do not give it credence that a 14-year-old girl could leave home and go off in the wintertime to avenge her father's blood but it did not seem so strange then, although I will say it did not happen every day. I was just 14 years of age when a coward going by the name of Tom Chaney shot my father down in Fort Smith, Arkansas and robbed him of his life and horse and $150 in cash money plus two California gold pieces that he carried in his trouser band. "

Opening paragraph of Cormac Mccarthy's NCFOM starts with old Sheriff musing,
"I SENT ONE BOY to the gaschamber at Huntsville. One and only one. My arrest and my testimony. I went up there and visited with him two or three times. Three times. The last time was the day of his execution. I didnt have to go but I did. I sure didnt want to. He'd killed a fourteen year old girl and I can tell you right now I never did have no great desire to visit with him let alone go to his execution but I done it."

From unseen (insignificant) 14 year old teen victim of their previous 1980's "Western" (that had an elegiac tone, serving to mind the death of Old Wild West), they jump right into the peak of Wilderness, 1800's (voice narrated from tail-end of the bloody West, 1928) through POV of a revenge-seeking 14 year old girl protagonist. :D

Trailer of "True Grit":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8QLMWN0yNs

kid-glove
12th November 2010, 04:52 PM
"The wicked flee when none pursueth." I'd be damned if Coens don't open the film with this quote. #TrueGrit #CharlesPortis #BookofProverbs

Book adaptation is always a tricky matter. As films are of far shorter length, much of the original book will be left on the cutting room floor, which could be flasfemous to those who loved the original form. However, there are some books that benefit from ellipsis.

As I'm reading "True Grit", a fairly short book, I don't think much will be left out (and learning more & more how the earlier adaptation with Wayne didn't get the essence of it. Perhaps why Coen wanted to do a proper adaptation and not remake of that film.)

The opening chapter of Mattie's monologue will be retained as it is (with V-O). And it'll (must) be in her POV. Not in the periphery (like the earlier film, again a missed opportunity that Coens will rectify)

This proverb (half-quoted without the subsequent part on righteous man being the bold lion) closes the opening chapter.

The film, however, should begin with this. (or at least is my prediction)

groucho070
13th November 2010, 07:31 AM
Meteor (1973) - Revisit.

When folks here applaud to great effort, I am reminded of this film. Great effort, yes, but really screwed up execution. Half-baked effects (surprising for a post Star Wars film) and meandering scripts. But is watchable for its awesome cast. That's why I hold on to the theory, no matter how bad a film is, the movie can be watched again if you got the right folks on screen. Sean Connery, Henry Fonda, Karl Malden, Martin Landau, Brian Keith and the gorgeous Natalie Wood. Clash of acting styles keep you on your toe. Daddy to Armageddon and Deep Impact.

My favourite quote.

Connery (after a really annoying meeting):Why don't you stick a broom up my a**, I can sweep the carpet on my way out. :lol:

kid-glove
13th November 2010, 07:37 AM
Bro.

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=2291935#2291935

P_R
19th December 2010, 11:07 PM
Blood Simple

Good. oru thadavai pAkkalaam.

Avadi to America
22nd December 2010, 11:54 PM
True grit receives good review......

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1403865/

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/true-grit-2010/

Nerd
27th December 2010, 09:59 PM
Feddy,
Have you seen TG? Might go tomorrow...

ajithfederer
27th December 2010, 10:06 PM
Illainga, Naan paakala. Went to Little Fockers Instead. Should go in some time.

Nerd
29th December 2010, 08:34 AM
Just back from True Grit. If I had gone to the film without knowing who had made it, I would have refused to believe it was by the Coens. As a Coen brothers fan I was disappointed. But the film is good. Very witty one-liners (they were not Coen-quirky though) for Jeff Bridges. Drags a little in the middle. A very straight film.

Nerd
29th December 2010, 09:10 PM
"The wicked flee when none pursueth." I'd be damned if Coens don't open the film with this quote. #TrueGrit #CharlesPortis #BookofProverbs

Book adaptation is always a tricky matter. As films are of far shorter length, much of the original book will be left on the cutting room floor, which could be flasfemous to those who loved the original form. However, there are some books that benefit from ellipsis.

As I'm reading "True Grit", a fairly short book, I don't think much will be left out (and learning more & more how the earlier adaptation with Wayne didn't get the essence of it. Perhaps why Coen wanted to do a proper adaptation and not remake of that film.)

The opening chapter of Mattie's monologue will be retained as it is (with V-O). And it'll (must) be in her POV. Not in the periphery (like the earlier film, again a missed opportunity that Coens will rectify)

This proverb (half-quoted without the subsequent part on righteous man being the bold lion) closes the opening chapter.

The film, however, should begin with this. (or at least is my prediction)
You are right about the quote and the POV.

kid-glove
29th December 2010, 09:40 PM
Ah! Thanks Bro. Yes, I'm hearing it's a very un-Coen film. For it feeling predominantly as 'Charlie Portis film' might be because the book does a pretty neat job of explaining visually and staying true to the girl's POV. It's good to note that even "No Country for Old Men" as a book also feels like a film script, but there you have a challenge with different POVs! I could see why Coens would have fell in love with Portis book, even if it's not that big a challenge to adapt. I don't remember POV of the decidedly weaker gender of the wild Wild West. Coens are (deceptively) feminist filmmakers. That aside, the story also unfolds like a coming of age tale in unlikely backdrop.

Waiting for DVDSCR. :(

ajithfederer
4th January 2011, 12:34 AM
Watched True Grit yesterday. I have no idea what to say. For most of the time, I couldn't make out what Jeff Bridges was talking but still i could follow what was happening. The girl acted very well. Josh Brolin has a very very brief role. As Nerd said quite a straight film and I have to watch it in TV some time later again.

P.S: As with NCFOM, The coens do a great job of recreating the time and its effect on screen :clap:.

Nerd
4th January 2011, 12:40 AM
For most of the time, I couldn't make out what Jeff Bridges was talking

They need to embed subtitles with the films. I found the audience LOLing at many dialogues which I missed. :oops:

ajithfederer
4th January 2011, 12:48 AM
Don't worry they did.

Yes.

The opening chapter of Mattie's monologue will be retained as it is (with V-O). And it'll (must) be in her POV.

+1. :lol:.

They need to embed subtitles with the films. I found the audience LOLing at many dialogues which I missed. :oops:

Avadi to America
5th January 2011, 07:29 PM
[tscii:b2d0ea2bdb]

I too felt the same... I know the southerner accent his different and often ridiculed by others... but this one I had hard time to follow his dialogues.... After watching several time "no country for old men", I was expecting this movie something on those line.... but it was completely different....being a great fan of western movies especially Sergio and Clint Eastwood, I was expecting more from Coen brothers....As I thought they are one among the current generation directors who can make good westerns.... I am deeply disappointed though the movie was not bad.....In future, looking forward to see Quentin Tarantino’s version of western....[/tscii:b2d0ea2bdb]

kid-glove
27th January 2011, 12:04 AM
True Grit - Pretty ordinary for Coens, but as predicted extremely faithful (not just the Mattie Ross POV) to Charlie Portis.

ajithfederer
17th August 2012, 10:24 PM
http://www.entertainmentwallpaper.com/images/desktops/movie/737.jpg

:clap:. Have seen this long time back. But had the opportunity to watch until Zeta Jone's divorce hearing on Movies now channel this month. Pretty funny stuff.