PDA

View Full Version : || Slumdog Millionaire | Danny Boyle | Dev Patel ||

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

sat_srini
7th September 2008, 01:42 PM
ARR's next international project is due for release in November. You can find a small clip with an impressive BGM in the official website.

http://www.foxsearchlight.com/slumdogmillionaire/

More details :
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1010048/fullcredits#cast

sat_srini
7th September 2008, 01:49 PM
A.R.Rahman working on director Danny Boyle's project Slumdog Millionaire

Rahman's latest project is with director Danny Boyle on 'Slumdog Millionaire' starring Anil Kapoor, Irrfan Khan and Dev Patel.

On this project Rahman collaborates with UK based hip hop artiste MIA aka Maya Arulpragasam.

www.arrahman.com

baba88
7th September 2008, 06:09 PM
I think it's a mistake by the website. The actress of the movie is called Mia Blake or something like that so i think they just twisted that all.

Yathu
7th September 2008, 07:38 PM
Yeh i was quite shocked to see that ARR was working with M.I.A! I think ARRs official webiste have got the official details wrong. :?

Yathu
7th September 2008, 07:41 PM
This films gonna be good! Danny Boyles an excellent director. His previous two films "28 Days Later" and "Sunshine" were great! ARRs BGMs gonna be great!

Ramakrishna
7th September 2008, 10:04 PM
wow... :thumbsup:

Ramakrishna
7th September 2008, 10:09 PM
http://www.rahmanism.com/2008/09/slumdog-millionaire-exclusive-promo-out.html

sat_srini
8th September 2008, 08:59 AM
The movie has been getting rave reviews and there is also a talk about Oscar nomination. The reviewers also talk about a song in the end of the movie. Looking forward to hearing that. :bluejump: :bluejump: :bluejump:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zCNUiAerJQ&NR=1

Yathu
8th September 2008, 02:06 PM
:yes: :victory:

I thought ARR just did the BGM, but theres a song too (hopefully composed by our one and only)! YAY!

Ramakrishna
8th September 2008, 07:29 PM
http://www.ptinews.com/pti%5Cptisite.nsf/0/20E2C9D50215E490652574BE001D5851?OpenDocument

Toronto, Sept 8 (PTI) Bollywood could not have got a more effective promotional 'video' without having to ask for it.
Slumdog Millionaire, a film produced by Hollywood's Fox Searchlight and directed and written by a famed British duo, has delivered a glorious punch on behalf of the often-maligned Bollywood song-and-dance set piece.

Director Danny Boyle's film unspools a Bollywood number on the end credits which turns out to be the film's selling point. With Gulzar's lyrics and Sukhwinder Singh's vocals, the robust AR Rahman-composed song, Jai Ho, has the young protagonists, British-Indian actor Dev Patel and first-timer Freida Pinto, a chorus of dancers in tow, pulling off a rousing musical performance on a railway platform and atop a train.

More than half the audience at the film's first press and industry screening at the ongoing 33rd Toronto International Film Festival sat transfixed long after the credits had begun to roll, which is usually a signal for people to jump to their feet and head out of the hall.

Slumdog Millionaire, scripted by Simon Beaufoy of The Full Monty fame, is the story of a poor, uneducated boy who hits the jackpot on a game show, mixes elements of British realism and the conventions of a Bollywood love story.

Director of the Palm Springs International Film festival, Darryl McDonald, summed it up best: "Isn't the Bollywood number absolutely outstanding?" PTI

directhit
8th September 2008, 07:45 PM
http://www.rahmanism.com/2008/09/slumdog-millionaire-exclusive-promo-out.html wowow :clap: :clap: :bow: :bow:

Yathu
8th September 2008, 10:42 PM
http://www.ptinews.com/pti%5Cptisite.nsf/0/20E2C9D50215E490652574BE001D5851?OpenDocument

More than half the audience at the film's first press and industry screening at the ongoing 33rd Toronto International Film Festival sat transfixed long after the credits had begun to roll, which is usually a signal for people to jump to their feet and head out of the hall.

Director of the Palm Springs International Film festival, Darryl McDonald, summed it up best: "Isn't the Bollywood number absolutely outstanding?" PTI

:redjump:

:2thumbsup:

:bluejump:

:yes:

thilak4life
8th September 2008, 10:57 PM
The music doesn't suit the girl(Litika) abduction video in that website. It's good as piece, but doesn't really sit nicely with that video.

Didn't mean to be negative, just opine. This is good for Rahman to compose for an interesting filmmaker like Boyle. I have seen all his popular films, save "Sunshine". His other Sci-fi "28 days later" is a big blockbuster (I didn't quite like it), while "Trainspotting" is his first popular, and critically aclaimed film, I loved the film on first sight. Same would be true of his underrated films like "Shallow grave", and "the beach", Shallow.. has the Janus-faced protagonists (3 of 'em), much like "Trainspotting". Looks like he is going much more mainstream with films like "Millions", and now this. Haven't seen that, will catch this one up though (for rahman at least).

As for the soundtrack, I loved "the beach" best, followed by "Trainspotting". It offers the composer the ability to suspend, sustain and trascend as the twists and turns flow by. Lets wait and find out how Rahman fares.

raagas
9th September 2008, 04:50 PM
The music doesn't suit the girl(Litika) abduction video in that website. It's good as piece, but doesn't really sit nicely with that video.

Even i felt so. The piece was good...but it was more musically-interesting than 'tension evoking'.

Yathu
11th September 2008, 03:51 PM
Another positive early review, this time from the Toronto Film Festival :D :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXaBrXJ7MqM

Bits of a Q&A session with Director Danny Boyle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnlGjq57WNg

lancelot
11th September 2008, 09:10 PM
Another positive early review, this time from the Toronto Film Festival :D :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXaBrXJ7MqM

Bits of a Q&A session with Director Danny Boyle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnlGjq57WNg

WOW! thats just amazing

I watched Danny Boyle's Sunshine awhile back, and was left amazed at how well the movie was done considering the fact that it was a very difficult subject to tackle.

After I herd about Slumdog Millionaire, I did some research on Danny Boyle, and found that he has a movie in the IMDB top 250 list. so I downloaded that movie which is Trainspotting btw and again was very impressed at how amazingly the movie was done.

I have only seen the two movies of Danny Boyle, but two movies in totally different genre, and both of them are amazing movies.

Then you add ARR to a movie of his, and I dont know how good it will be. I have been looking forward to The Dark Knight since 2005 and was left speachless after i watched it. Now i have another movie to look forward to by the name of "Slumdog Millionaire"

history proves that Danny Boyle will not disappoint

hehe
:D

lancelot
11th September 2008, 09:34 PM
FYI

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2008/09/03/211847.php

hehe

Yathu
13th September 2008, 03:49 PM
Lancelot, you should watch "28 Days Later". Thats my fave Danny Boyle movie....but I havn't seen "Trainspotting" though.

sat_srini
14th September 2008, 03:13 AM
[tscii:210083f815]How do you go about choosing the music? I think in all of your films I've loved your musical choices and I think it really defines a lot of your films.

Boyle: Oh, I just love music. It's the bit I probably enjoy more than anything. When you get a chance to work with a guy like this guy– he's an amazing composer, A. R. Rahman. It was obvious on this that you wanted– the music in Bollywood films is so expressive, it's so much more extreme and upfront than– we tend to hide music, to make it psychological, hidden, Western really, where there they declare it. It's like yeah this is romantic, oh this is dangerous. And anyway so I approached this guy Rahman, and he's an amazing songwriter, very hugely popular there, a huge, massive star, unbelievable star there. And obviously he loved it because it was something different for him to work with a Western director, and we had a great time working on it. And they're all original songs that he's written, apart from– there's an M.I.A. song in the middle of it, "Paper Planes." And she also is a big fan if his because she grew up with all his music because she's– her family is part Sri Lankan, part London. So she was like speechless at the chance to sing for him. So she sings on the first song for him, and then we used her song in the middle. So it's really nice.

I'm very proud of the soundtrack, because it's very unusual. It feels very fresh. That was one of the things I noticed here, watching it in front of a Western audience– because I haven't really seen it in front of an audience– the music felt really fresh. And I loved that, I thought it was really nice. It's been lovely.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/09/12/telluride-interview-slumdog-millionaire-director-danny-boyle/[/tscii:210083f815]

Ramakrishna
14th September 2008, 11:38 AM
Lancelot, you should watch "28 Days Later". Thats my fave Danny Boyle movie

Same here :D

Ramakrishna
14th September 2008, 11:39 AM
[tscii:35512af6bc]How do you go about choosing the music? I think in all of your films I've loved your musical choices and I think it really defines a lot of your films.

Boyle: Oh, I just love music. It's the bit I probably enjoy more than anything. When you get a chance to work with a guy like this guy– he's an amazing composer, A. R. Rahman. It was obvious on this that you wanted– the music in Bollywood films is so expressive, it's so much more extreme and upfront than– we tend to hide music, to make it psychological, hidden, Western really, where there they declare it. It's like yeah this is romantic, oh this is dangerous. And anyway so I approached this guy Rahman, and he's an amazing songwriter, very hugely popular there, a huge, massive star, unbelievable star there. And obviously he loved it because it was something different for him to work with a Western director, and we had a great time working on it. And they're all original songs that he's written, apart from– there's an M.I.A. song in the middle of it, "Paper Planes." And she also is a big fan if his because she grew up with all his music because she's– her family is part Sri Lankan, part London. So she was like speechless at the chance to sing for him. So she sings on the first song for him, and then we used her song in the middle. So it's really nice.

I'm very proud of the soundtrack, because it's very unusual. It feels very fresh. That was one of the things I noticed here, watching it in front of a Western audience– because I haven't really seen it in front of an audience– the music felt really fresh. And I loved that, I thought it was really nice. It's been lovely.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/09/12/telluride-interview-slumdog-millionaire-director-danny-boyle/[/tscii:35512af6bc]

Thalaivar kalakkuraapla :notworthy:

thamizhvaanan
14th September 2008, 12:38 PM
Wow!!! :2thumbsup: :victory:

Every single review doesnt forget to make a mention about the closing credits.. must be really something special :cool:

thamizhvaanan
14th September 2008, 12:38 PM
Btwn, has anyone listened to MIA's Boyz track? liked it? I dunno how much popular it is already :S

Yathu
14th September 2008, 05:01 PM
[tscii:e20a915f53]
And they're all original songs that he's written, apart from– there's an M.I.A. song in the middle of it, "Paper Planes." And she also is a big fan if his because she grew up with all his music because she's– her family is part Sri Lankan, part London. So she was like speechless at the chance to sing for him. So she sings on the first song for him, and then we used her song in the middle. So it's really nice.

"Paper Planes" by M.I.A:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sei-eEjy4g

Did pretty well here when it was released...I think earlier this year.

So that's 2 Tamil people working on this project. YAY! :victory: [/tscii:e20a915f53]

lancelot
14th September 2008, 08:37 PM
Lancelot, you should watch "28 Days Later". Thats my fave Danny Boyle movie

Same here :D

Iv weatched 28 Days Later, but to me trainspotting just stands out as his best. loved that movie... specially the Scottish accent... hehe

hehe

lancelot
16th September 2008, 09:07 AM
CADILLAC PEOPLE'S CHOICE AWARD
The Cadillac People's Choice Award is voted on by Festival audiences. This year's award goes to Danny Boyle's Slumdog Millionaire. From acclaimed director Danny Boyle comes a story about a kid with nothing, who has everything to lose. Jamal Malik, an 18-year-old orphan from the slums of Mumbai, is just one question away from winning a staggering 20 million rupees on India's "Who Wants to be A Millionaire?" Arrested on suspicion of cheating, he tells the police the amazing tale of his life on the streets, and of the girl he loved and lost. But what is a kid with no interest in money doing on the show? And how does he know all the answers? First runner-up is Kristopher Belman's More Than A Game and the second runner-up is Cyrus Nowrasteh's The Stoning of Soraya M. The award offers a $15,000 cash prize and custom award, sponsored by Cadillac.

http://tiff08.ca/press/pressreleases/default.aspx?newsId=596

hehe

littlemaster1982
16th September 2008, 09:11 AM
CADILLAC PEOPLE'S CHOICE AWARD
The Cadillac People's Choice Award is voted on by Festival audiences. This year's award goes to Danny Boyle's Slumdog Millionaire. From acclaimed director Danny Boyle comes a story about a kid with nothing, who has everything to lose. Jamal Malik, an 18-year-old orphan from the slums of Mumbai, is just one question away from winning a staggering 20 million rupees on India's "Who Wants to be A Millionaire?" Arrested on suspicion of cheating, he tells the police the amazing tale of his life on the streets, and of the girl he loved and lost. But what is a kid with no interest in money doing on the show? And how does he know all the answers? First runner-up is Kristopher Belman's More Than A Game and the second runner-up is Cyrus Nowrasteh's The Stoning of Soraya M. The award offers a $15,000 cash prize and custom award, sponsored by Cadillac.

http://tiff08.ca/press/pressreleases/default.aspx?newsId=596

hehe

Is this film based on the novel 'Q & A' by Vikas Swaroop? The story is almost the same :roll:

lancelot
16th September 2008, 09:22 AM
Is this film based on the novel 'Q & A' by Vikas Swaroop? The story is almost the same :roll:

i think it is... yes

hehe

directhit
16th September 2008, 09:24 AM
Slumdog Millionaire wins at Toronto film fest

http://www.rediff.com/movies/2008/sep/15tiff.htm

Slumdog, which had the audiences dancing in the aisles during the finale song and dance number (tuned by A R Rahman), breezed past through heavyweight films like Burn After Reading from Coen Brothers (No Country For Old Men), and Rachel Getting Married from Jonathan Demme (The Silence of the Lambs, Philadelphia). 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

littlemaster1982
16th September 2008, 09:39 AM
This film is getting rave reviews everywhere 8-) Inga eppa release aagumo :?

lancelot
16th September 2008, 10:07 AM
This film is getting rave reviews everywhere 8-) Inga eppa release aagumo :?

international release is in November i think, so.. will have to wait til next year to get the DVD... damn!!! :(

hehe

senthilv.com
16th September 2008, 10:24 AM
Hi Guys:

SlumDog millionaire review:

SOME SPOILERS:

I saw the film in Toronto International film festival on the last day screening for People choice award. The theater had a capacity of 1400 and it was full.

This is it. After all the talk about Indian film crossing over. I think we have a WINNER. Only ironic thing it is a Hollywood production!

This is mainstream film. It is not apologetic about it and pushes every available buttons. It works at so many levels and I think is freaking awesome.

Before I go into the film. ARR score is brilliant. He clearly understood the energy, tempo and pace of the film and has given an excellent score. I think working with Shankar and Maniratnam would have enabled him to smoothly transition into this type of film. I actually did not know the score is by ARR when I walked in but soon it became very clear that it is him.

ARR & Danny have used M.I.A "The Paper planes" song to an awesome effect! Danny Boyle(Director) said he couldn't have gotten ARR in millions years but was lucky to get him on board.

There are couple of songs in the film that I can remember. There might have been more but played only for short amount of time.

The Romantic/love song and the final song by Sukhwinder won the hearts of the audience. There was actually too much roar too totally feel the song so I will have to listen to it again to form a definitive opinion but the music went great with the film.

Ok coming back to film...

This film is almost all Indian cast and is total Indian-Bollywood-Kollywood-Tollywood masala. The even speak HINGLISH!! The main difference is it is directed by Danny Boyle but what a difference it made! The screenplay is actually bit worse than our filmmakers can come up with but it is was good enough for Danny boyle to exploit it to the hilt. For Tamil audience the film can feel like Maniratnam film meets Shankar film and I'm not kidding!!

Here's where it differs from "normal" Bollywood films.

1) Well acted/itched characters. Realistic performances. Especially the kids (they are the star of the film!)
2) Although it can feel repetitive towards the end, the structure of the film is innovative (helps hide some bad part of the screenplay)
3) Nice, clever, engaging dialogue.
4) Excellent Direction by Danny Boyle. I'm sure our directors will scratch their heads after seeing the film thinking.... I could have done that. But the beauty of the film is the realistic performance that Danny Boyle got out of a totally melodramatic story. Also his idea to tell the slum boys story from slum guys point of view rather than with a pity OMG-POOR-slum-kids outlook totally kicked the movie to a higher realm.

I'm not even gonna go into his shot conception and narration but I can safely say Danny did his homework watched Indian directors works. I'm guessing he watched Maniratnam's "Bombay" tons of times. I couldn't avoid noticing the imprint of Mani's signature especially in some of the scenes involving the kids! He also seems bit influenced by RGV.

Bottomline, the film tries to tell a melodramatic story realistically except for the final song! IMO, Western audience is gonna love the ending song more than Indian audience but I might be wrong. After all, for them what's Bollywood movie without a song and dance right? Most of them were clapping and dancing at the end of the movie. It was a bit surreal and electrifying to see a western audience respond to an Indian story like that.

More western audience is going to love it and I think Indian audience is gonna love it too. I highly recommend it.

directhit
16th September 2008, 10:36 AM
Before I go into the film. ARR score is brilliant. He clearly understood the energy, tempo and pace of the film and has given an excellent score. I think working with Shankar and Maniratnam would have enabled him to smoothly transition into this type of film. I actually did not know the score is by ARR when I walked in but soon it became very clear that it is him.

ARR & Danny have used M.I.A "The Paper planes" song to an awesome effect! Danny Boyle(Director) said he couldn't have gotten ARR in millions years but was lucky to get him on board.

There are couple of songs in the film that I can remember. There might have been more but played only for short amount of time.

The Romantic/love song and the final song by Sukhwinder won the hearts of the audience. There was actually too much roar too totally feel the song so I will have to listen to it again to form a definitive opinion but the music went great with the film. WOW :redjump: :bluejump: 8-)

Querida
16th September 2008, 10:45 AM
I've read "Q & A" by Vikas Swarup...so am quite curious on how movie is going to be like....M.I.A.'s music also I have heard some songs before...not an avid fan enough to recount song titles and all that...i have seen sunshine...it was amazing...still one of my fave movies...watched it on the airplane and had a good cry...

littlemaster1982
16th September 2008, 11:15 AM
SenthilV, you made my day :notworthy: :notworthy:

A.ANAND
16th September 2008, 12:44 PM
simple and powerfull review by senthilv :2thumbsup: :clap:

Ramakrishna
16th September 2008, 05:09 PM
Has our thalaivar scored even the BGM for this film?

littlemaster1982
16th September 2008, 05:24 PM
:yes:

littlemaster1982
16th September 2008, 05:31 PM
Another glowing review (http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/08/31/telluride-review-danny-boyles-slumdog-millionaire/)

Telluride Review: Danny Boyle's Slumdog Millionaire

Alex Billington

Do you believe in destiny? Last night I caught the world premiere at Telluride of Danny Boyle's latest film, Slumdog Millionaire, and it was an absolute blast. I haven't been this thoroughly entertained at a film festival since I saw The Escapist at Sundance in January. At its core, Slumdog is a love story about a boy who just won't give up, but it's wrapped around his short life story about winning the Hindi version of the "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?" game show. The film is a two hour lesson on Indian culture taught vividly by Danny Boyle and adorned by beautiful cinematography and an incredible music selection. However, it's still one of the most excitingly cultured mainstream films that's all about life, love, and destiny.

Slumdog Millionaire tells the story of Jamal Malik (Dev Patel), an orphaned child from the slums of Mumbai, India, who is one question away from winning "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?" When the final question is pushed to the next day, Jamal is arrested on suspicion of cheating and questioned by the police to explain how he knew all of the answers. The film then proceeds to tell his life story, from the time he was a little kid until that very moment, explaining that experiences throughout his life helped him specifically answer every last question - destiny. We discover in the end that he just never gave up in his pursuit to find a girl who he has been in love with all his life, Latika (Freida Pinto).

This film was a pleasing combination of the realism of City of God, the comedy of Darjeeling Limited, and the style of Danny Boyle. There was never a dull moment throughout the entire thing, compliments of Mr. Boyle, whose filmmaking I already love. Boyle is something of an acquired taste, although I wish he wasn't. Like Guy Ritchie, he's got a very distinct and unique style to his films that some will enjoy, others will despise. I think Slumdog Millionaire can definitely push its way to mainstream success and it will be greeted with open arms, all because it's such an entertaining, fun, and upbeat movie.

That style which I speak so highly of involves very colorful cinematography, fast-paced action, songs and a score that add even more energy to many moments in the film, and a storytelling style that differs from almost every other indie filmmaker. If you can appreciate this kind of style, mixed into one of the most uplifting and charming stories all year, despite it's riddled with the occasional torture or riot, you'll end up loving Slumdog Millionaire as much as I did. I've never even really liked Bollywood either, but by the credits at the end, where the entire cast breaks out into a dance number, even I was enthralled by this wonderful finale. Slumdog is another wonderful film from the creative genius of Danny Boyle.

Telluride Rating: 9 out of 10

littlemaster1982
16th September 2008, 05:35 PM
[tscii:448848d6b2]TIFF Review: Slumdog Millionaire (http://www.rowthree.com/tiff/tiff-review-slumdog-millionaire/)

John Allison

You will not hear me say this often when it comes to a review of a movie but I do not believe I can do Danny Boyle’s Slumdog Millionaire justice in a review. I could star listing of hyperbole after hyperbole and I would not be exaggerating one bit on how I feel about this movie. This is the movie that has made TIFF worthwhile by itself for me and I can’t recommend it strong enough.

The movie starts with Jamal, played by Dev Patel being tortured by a Irfan Khan, the police inspector. He wants to know how someone from the slums could be able to answer so many questions correctly on India’s version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire. After Jamal is unwilling to admit to cheating during the torture they put him in front of a TV and one by one they go through the questions with him explaining how he knew the answers. Using this premise Danny Boyle is able to provide the audience with one of the most truthful, heartfelt stories that is so much more than the simple romance which it could have been.

One by one Jamal explains how he grew up with his brother Salim in the slums and how they became orphans and how they were taken in by gangsters who had the worst of intentions when it came to the young boys. We see time and time again Latika played by Freida Pinto come and go from Jamal’s life. All of his life in the slums of India have lead him to this point has lead him to where he is today. And each flashback gives beautifully told glimpses into the life of the poor in India as well as being a wonderful story.

I have yet to see Millions but I had heard before going in that Danny Boyle had a knack for getting the best out of child actors and I now fully believe it. Question by question we see Jamil, Salim and Latika age in front of us. We see them during their times of happiness and during the moments in their lives when everything has been turned upside down on them. Never once did I question the emotions and the acting of any of these children. Each and everyone of them were near perfect in their roles. Never once did question the love Jamil had for Latika nor how Salim could end up on a dark path.

It has been a while since a movie has touched me like Slumdog Millionaire did and from the reaction of the audience I am not alone. The applause for it was thunderous and I have never seen an audience clap along with the music in the closing credits. Danny Boyle has truly succeeded in creating a pitch perfect wonderful optimistic yet truthful movie that I am going to watch over and over again for a great many years.
[/tscii:448848d6b2]

littlemaster1982
16th September 2008, 05:42 PM
[tscii:f70e6e4984]Another one (http://www.dailyfilmdose.com/2008/09/tiff-report-7-slumdog-millionaire.html)

One of the great crowd-pleasers of the Festival so far is Danny Boyle’s “Slumdog Millionaire”. It’s a sweeping coming of age film, love story, exotic adventure and triumph of the human spririt all rolled up into a film about a young man who plays India’s version of “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire”. Danny Boyle injects his story with the same cinematic energy as his other classics “Trainspotting”, “28 Days Later”. It’s a surefire indie hit coming to a theatre near you.

Pitted against the other grim realist dramas I’ve seen so far at TIFF, “Slumdog Millionaire” stands out as old-fashioned Hollywood escapism. Yet, there isn’t a recognizable Hollywood face in the entire film. It’s all set in India in 2006. A young Indian man Jamal Malik (Dev Patel) is on the Indian version of “Who Wants to be Millionaire”. He appears to have won but instead of celebrating we first see him strung up and tortured by the police who have accused him of cheating. After many excruciating torture techniques Jamal won’t confess. So they sit him down in front of the videotape of the show and Jamal recounts how he knew each and every question on the show.

As each question is read out by the India equivalent of Regis Philbin, we flashback to the specific incident which recalled each of Jamal’s answers. And so in one half hour game show we get to see a sampling of Jamal’s extraordinary young life. We see Jamal as a child become orphaned, live on the streets begging, stealing, to survive – living a life of poverty like millions and millions of other impoverished kids. Except this one slumdog is about to win the biggest jackpot in the country and make him a millionaire.

Boyle and screenwriter Simon Beaufoy use the life story flashback technique of “Citizen Kane” as it’s narrative structure. After the first couple of flashbacks I figured out what the technique was and I expected a predictable course of action. Indeed the film doesn’t waver from its course, but Jamal’s life is so extraordinary it becomes a unique and eye opening view into Indian subculture.

As expected with a ‘Danny Boyle film’ he sets a blistering pace and challenges us to keep up. There are numerous chases through the populated Mumbai streets, bold eye-popping colours, and an exciting pop music soundtrack. Boyle has always had a great ear for music. Whether it’s the Brit pop music in “Trainspotting” or his pulsing ambient rhythms of “28 Days Later” and “Sunshine”, there’s always something special to listen to in his film. A.R. Rahman (“Elizabeth The Golden Age”, “Water”) provides an eclectic score mixed in with fresh energetic Indian pop music. There are few familiar tunes, but it had me yearning to find the soundtrack and listen to it in the car ride home.

I saw the film in press and industry screening early yesterday morning. It was 9:00am and most of the crowd, like me, were still trying to wake up after a long day of movie watching, partying, or in my case writing late night reviews. After 120mins the film ended on such a high the entire audience applauded spontaneously – a rarity for the jaded businesslike industry crowd. And even more rare is that the audience stayed through the end credits.

After Boyle bombards us with so much story, adventure, melodrama and nail-biting game show suspense, he’s still not content with pleasing us. Over the final credits the entire cast treats us to a raucous Bollywood style dance sequence, intercut with flashing picture credits set to a foot-tapping bangra number. “Slumdog Millionaire” is crowd-pleasing optimistic filmmaking at it’s best. It shines a beacon of light on a subsection of the world that has little hope. Enjoy.

[/tscii:f70e6e4984]

senthilv.com
16th September 2008, 08:28 PM
yes full score by ARR and he is the only music composer.

It is not a bhangra number. These guys tend to confuse any foot taping Indian number to a Bhangra song. The song is in some ways is a typical ARR-Sukhwinder number but from what i was able to hear it's a good song. How the film gets there and the way song is used at the right time makes the song even more worthwhile experience.

Nerd
17th September 2008, 01:08 AM
Whoa :clap: :clap: :clap:

I just loved Boyle's 28 days/weeks later and trainspotting. The soundtrack for his movies will generally be terrific. Hope Rahman gets nominated this time. What an year for ARR !

Yathu
17th September 2008, 01:55 AM
This is actually quite amazing. Most reviews/ reviewers of Hollywood movies never usually mention the score/ soundtrack of the movie in their reviews, but so far all the reviewers give a special mention to the score or the end credits song!

Maybe I'm getting a bit too excited here, but I just had to point that out! :lol: Also I guess this isn't a regular Hollywood movie!

Anyways:

ARR :notworthy:

natha1729
19th September 2008, 05:12 AM
[tscii:1103e97f49]is it just one song or several songs? says, too hectic and sloppy movie? is it like another bombay dreams - slums to riches attempt? think certain shock elements is bringng audience not the music. this may be like inside man title track jsut for getting bigger indian audience. But, anil kapoor is a great choice, he has the more robustness and energy than others.

http://blog.spout.com/2008/09/02/slumdog-millionaire-review-telluride-2008/

Slumdog Millionaire Review, Telluride 2008
By Kevin Buist
posted 2 weeks ago

Danny Boyle’s latest offering, Slumdog Millionaire, is generating a fair amount of buzz here at Telluride. Not unlike last year’s Juno, the film showed up in one of the mysterious TBA slots, delighting audiences made weary by a slate of good but somewhat depressing films, such as Hunger, Waltz with Bashir and Adam Resurrected. Slumdog Millionaire follows the story of Jamal Malik, an unlikely winner of India’s version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire. Jamal, his brother Samir, and fellow orphan Latika, manage to survive an almost absurd number of scrapes, the memory of each one coincidentally providing Jamal with answers to the game show questions. The film is big, fast, fun, and colorful, but ultimately a mess.

The hyperactive structure of the film is born out of the life experience-equals-game-show-answer formula. The first scene shows Jamal being tortured by police who suspect him of cheating, unable to believe that a “slumdog” orphan could know the answers to all those trivia questions. Jamal insists he really did know the answers, and the suddenly sympathetic cops disconnect the electrodes from his toes and decide to let him explain further as they watch a tape of the show. The one-two punch of crazy slum story providing an unlikely memory that later serves as a trivia answer becomes apparent very quickly, and never deviates through the entire film. This structure might have worked, but here it feels contrived and repetitive. The pace of the film is frantic, some of the flashbacks have comic merit, but by the third or fourth musical montage, it all feels too hectic and sloppy, especially considering the rigid and somewhat boring structure upon which the film is built.

People have been praising the performances in the film, and with the exception of the child actors and Bollywood veteran Anil Kapoor, I’m bewildered by this. Dev Patel’s Jamal is passable at best. He’s sympathetic, but most of the film he looks plainly dumbfounded at his own impossible luck. He gives us no real reason to care for him other than the fact that he’s a basically good person, and he’s in love.

The love story, seen by many to be central to the film, is sorely lacking. Jamal and Latika meet because they are both orphans, she’s first allowed to run with Jamal and Samir out of pity. The brothers loose track of Latika, only to later rescue her from forced prostitution. The would-be lovers are again pulled apart when Samir, who has turned to a life of crime, forces her to become a part of his crime lord’s harem. Jamal’s impetus for being on the game show, and his motivation to continue his stellar run, turns out to not be about money at all, but rather to get on TV in hopes that Latika, where ever she is, will see him. Sure enough, she does, and with the help of an inexplicably reformed Samir, she escapes the harem to find Jamal, her one true love. It’s the kind of shallow love story that plagues many Hollywood films.

Don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing wrong with a “love conquers all” philosophy propping up a film, but the whole thing collapses if that love doesn’t feel genuine. Freida Pinto as Latika, like Patel’s performance, is so-so at best. The film is too crowded and busy to allow any chemistry to build between these two. Sure, they’ve helped each other out of crazy situations, but just because a fireman saved my life doesn’t mean I’d want to marry him. When Jamal emphatically claims that being with Latika is their “destiny,” we’re forced to take his word for it.

Some will say that many of my issues with the film are due to the fact that I’m not seeing it as Boyle’s homage to Bollywood. While it’s true that the film is deeply indebted to the colorful and melodramatic musicals that are a mainstay of Indian culture, I don’t think the film holds up even under this reading. The key problem goes back to the lead actors’ performances. Great Bollywood players are not naturalistic by any means, they are exaggerated, playful, and incredibly charismatic. It seems like Boyle couldn’t decide which way he wanted Patel and Pinto to play it. Should they be overly theatrical to match the color and up-tempo editing? Or should they play it more realistically, two normal people brought together by extraordinary circumstances? In the end they do neither.

Slumdog Millionaire is not without merit. It’s nothing if not an ambitious film, and certain scenes do work well. But ultimately it’s an annoying cacophony atop a predictable structure.

[/tscii:1103e97f49]

sat_srini
27th September 2008, 01:23 AM
[tscii:114b91574a]Which part of the film do you like the most?
The music. The composer for the music A.R. Rahman is a superstar. He did the music, and he is phenomenal. You tend to get very bored with a film when you see so much of it, so the music keeps it going.Also, there is a scene in the film, when he is already a millionaire, and he is driving to the studio and is stuck in traffic. Someone bangs on his window, and you think she is a beggar, but she isn’t. She just wants to wish him good luck. And that sums up the city for me. It just exceeds all your expectations.
Slumdog Millionaire releases in the US on 28 November.

http://www.livemint.com/2008/09/26234158/8216I-think-i-changed-worki.html?h=B[/tscii:114b91574a]

jaiganes
29th September 2008, 07:12 AM
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/slumdog_millionaire/

enjoy!!

sat_srini
29th September 2008, 08:53 AM
New teaser with ARR humming!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9VBofFZPsM

A.ANAND
29th September 2008, 11:04 AM
OSUM! :2thumbsup: MEXICAN SOUND

Yathu
30th September 2008, 01:35 AM
New teaser with ARR humming!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9VBofFZPsM

wow! :cool2:

thineshan54321
1st October 2008, 05:55 AM
ROCKING BEATS!!!!!!!!!

baba88
8th October 2008, 03:02 AM
When will the audio or movie release ? When can we listen to the whole songs ?

Yathu
8th October 2008, 03:35 AM
When will the audio or movie release ? When can we listen to the whole songs ?

- "Limited" release in USA: 19.11.08
- UK release: 23.01.09

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1010048/releaseinfo

A long time to wait for UK folk! :(

sat_srini
28th October 2008, 09:37 PM
Oscar prediction - ARR's "Jai Ho" song in contention for best original song.

http://www.incontention.com/?page_id=2446

Yathu
29th October 2008, 03:16 AM

Yay! :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

A.ANAND
31st October 2008, 10:19 AM
NEW SDM TRAILOR

http://media.movieweb.com/video/play.swf?file=V08J124ipqBGPY

littlemaster1982
31st October 2008, 10:43 AM
NEW SDM TRAILOR

Good one :thumbsup:

Yathu
31st October 2008, 05:24 PM
NEW SDM TRAILOR

Nice trailer! Although I think the BGM in the second half, the piano bit, is a commercial bit of music thats used in a lot of trailers.

The credits thing at the end says "music composed and produced by A R RAHMAN!" Gave me goosebumps! :D

They've given it an "R" rating. :shock: That means its gonna be an 18 over here. Must have a lotta adult themes in the film. Downside is, its gonna reduce the number of people who'll be able to watch it in the cinemas. :?

Dragun
1st November 2008, 01:24 AM
That last song is by Sigur Ros. I don't think there is any ARR music in the trailer.

lancelot
1st November 2008, 01:24 AM
British Director Slams British Moviegoers

Director Danny Boyle (Trainspotting, The Beach, 28 Days Later) took a swipe at British filmgoers as his latest film, Slumdog Millionaire, closed the London Film Festival Thursday night and attracted glowing reviews. "My opinion about the film industry is we get the film industry we deserve really. ... We don't go to the cinema like other countries I'm afraid. You notice it in India the obsession with cinema is phenomenal. Everybody knows everything about it and everyone has seen everything. I think the figures are we go twice a year and that will be to the [Harry] Potter and the [James] Bond [movies] mostly." Meanwhile, the London Independent called Slumdog Millionaire "an exhilarating ride." The Times described it as a "festival finale that puts a spring in your step and brings a tear to the eye." Similarly the Telegraph predicted that it would "send audiences happily skipping out into the cold London night. ... A terrific festival climax."

http://www.imdb.com/news/ns0000003/#ni0595304

hehe

ajaybaskar
1st November 2008, 10:59 PM
Headlines today reported that the movie is to be dubbed in Hindi too

prasana84
2nd November 2008, 03:49 AM

Yay! :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:
We r not very far. :D oscar award announce pannitangala? if not when?

thamizhvaanan
2nd November 2008, 09:25 AM
[tscii:996cb2b0cf]
Slumdog Millionaire
By RICHARD CORLISS

The director of Trainspotting, 28 Days Later and Millions collaborates with the screenwriter of The Full Monty and Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day — surely we're in for some all-British shenanigans. But no, this is a social epic set in modern India, when Bombay became Mumbai, and the new techno-wealth contrasted ever more sharply with the crushing, enduring poverty of the masses.

One young man, Jamal (Patel), has miraculously, or suspiciously, spanned those two worlds. A tea server, or chai wallah, for a telephone marketing company, he has won a fortune on the Indian version of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire. The show's host (Kapoor) is so skeptical of Jamal's ability to answer the questions that he has policemen try to torture the truth out of the lad. His explanations all relate to his hard life as a homeless orphan in the company of his brother Salim (Mittal) and, not often enough, with the winsome, consistently abused Latika. Salim is the type-A troublemaker, the fighter and conniver, restless and reckless, and thus the ideal complement to Jamal's caution, sensitivity and resilience. These flashbacks constitute the body of a sharp, teeming, dark, very romantic film.

As the boys forage through garbage heaps, get hooked in by child-molesting Fagins and slip into lives of petty or flagrant crime, you'll be reminded of Pixote and City of God and Oliver Twist and a dozen Indian musical melodramas — which are more sanitized by far but display the same obsession for family ties and first love, and are just as unashamed in pushing feelings of joy and despair to the apogee of passion. Jamal's search for his long-lost lifetime love Latika is the stuff of Indian-pop films from the Raj Kapoor era to today. True to its roots, Slumdog ends with a chastely rapturous kiss and an all-out dance number, composed by Bollywood deity A.R. Rahman. Despite its elements of brutality, this is a buoyant hymn to life, and a movie to celebrate.

:D[/tscii:996cb2b0cf]

MADDY
3rd November 2008, 12:07 PM
[tscii:86763218ba]
Slumdog Millionaire
By RICHARD CORLISS

The director of Trainspotting, 28 Days Later and Millions collaborates with the screenwriter of The Full Monty and Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day — surely we're in for some all-British shenanigans. But no, this is a social epic set in modern India, when Bombay became Mumbai, and the new techno-wealth contrasted ever more sharply with the crushing, enduring poverty of the masses.

One young man, Jamal (Patel), has miraculously, or suspiciously, spanned those two worlds. A tea server, or chai wallah, for a telephone marketing company, he has won a fortune on the Indian version of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire. The show's host (Kapoor) is so skeptical of Jamal's ability to answer the questions that he has policemen try to torture the truth out of the lad. His explanations all relate to his hard life as a homeless orphan in the company of his brother Salim (Mittal) and, not often enough, with the winsome, consistently abused Latika. Salim is the type-A troublemaker, the fighter and conniver, restless and reckless, and thus the ideal complement to Jamal's caution, sensitivity and resilience. These flashbacks constitute the body of a sharp, teeming, dark, very romantic film.

As the boys forage through garbage heaps, get hooked in by child-molesting Fagins and slip into lives of petty or flagrant crime, you'll be reminded of Pixote and City of God and Oliver Twist and a dozen Indian musical melodramas — which are more sanitized by far but display the same obsession for family ties and first love, and are just as unashamed in pushing feelings of joy and despair to the apogee of passion. Jamal's search for his long-lost lifetime love Latika is the stuff of Indian-pop films from the Raj Kapoor era to today. True to its roots, Slumdog ends with a chastely rapturous kiss and an all-out dance number, composed by Bollywood deity A.R. Rahman. Despite its elements of brutality, this is a buoyant hymn to life, and a movie to celebrate.

:D[/tscii:86763218ba]

eppadi paathalum Richard Corliss namma payyan :)

littlemaster1982
5th November 2008, 09:19 AM
[tscii:7837f65744]

So, I took a break and went to London. Primarily to attend the “Slumdog” premiere, but watching a lot of new cinema, attending workshops , masterclass( charlie Kaufman), and bookhunting. From what i saw the coming year seems like the year of british cinema and the argentinians. I hope one day we can say that about us on a world platform. Will talk about the highs that i felt, the films i saw but before that let me say it here that this year we could possibly see an academy award for Best score for A. R. Rahman for Slumdog millionaire , definitely will see a nomination. What is sad is that it won’t be for an indian film. What is even sadder is that not just SlumDog is made by a british filmmaker, that too a celebrated one, but when it came to our indian studios for funding they turned it down. Both UTV and Reliance.

Director Anurag Kashyap (http://passionforcinema.com/cinema-cinema/) [/tscii:7837f65744]

ajaybaskar
5th November 2008, 03:06 PM
Indha varushamavathu oscar awardukku perumai kidakkuma? Lets wait and see...

A.ANAND
5th November 2008, 03:07 PM
another trailor!

http://content.foxsearchlight.com/inside/node/2965

A.ANAND
5th November 2008, 04:20 PM
wow!ajaybaskar,ennga sir poningga romba naala aala kannum!
welcome back thalaiva :D

A.ANAND
5th November 2008, 04:21 PM
edited-

ajaybaskar
5th November 2008, 06:21 PM

I am Back!!! (Read it in Billa Ajith style) :wink:

A.ANAND
5th November 2008, 07:12 PM

kalakungga baba! :D

ajaybaskar
5th November 2008, 07:20 PM

kalakungga baba! :D

Adhukkum thalaivar padamthaana? :lol: :wink:

prasana84
11th November 2008, 07:56 PM
When they r announcing. any1 has the link of the song which is opted for the oscars

lancelot
13th November 2008, 12:35 PM
Danny Boyle's Slumdog Millionaire is getting a head start in the Oscar race today (Wednesday), and judging from some of the reviews, its rivals may never catch up. As Michael Phillips observes in his review in the Chicago Tribune, the movie "has a good shot at winning this year's Academy Award for best picture, if the pundits, Allah, Shiva and Fox Searchlight Pictures have anything to say about it. Each life-or-death cliffhanger and meticulous splash of color, every arrow plucked from director Danny Boyle's sari-wrapped quiver takes aim at the same objective: to leave you exhausted but wowed." Roger Ebert concludes his four-star review of the movie in the Chicago Sun-Times by remarking, "It is one of those miraculous entertainments that achieves its immediate goals and keeps climbing toward a higher summit." And this is Claudia Puig's conclusion in her review in USA Today: "The beautifully rendered and energetic tale celebrates resilience, the power of knowledge and the vitality of the human experience. Horrifying, humorous and life-affirming, it is, above all, unforgettable." Lou Lumenick starts his review in the New York Post this way: "Four stars simply aren't enough for Danny Boyle's Slumdog Millionaire, which just may be the most entertaining movie I've ever labeled a masterpiece in these pages. Great movies transport the audience, and this one left me floating on air." But in an odd review, Manohla Dargis in the New York Times rains much praise on the movie during two thirds of her review but suddenly expresses reservations: "In the end, what gives me reluctant pause about this bright, cheery, hard-to-resist movie is that its joyfulness feels more like a filmmaker's calculation than an honest cry from the heart about the human spirit (or, better yet, a moral tale)," she writes. Boyle, she concludes, "plucked my heartstrings in Slumdog Millionaire with well-practiced dexterity, coaxing laughter and sobs out of each sweet, sour and false note." And Mick Lasalle in the San Francisco Chronicle discovers too many false notes: "The filmmakers' motives are sincere. The story is interesting enough," he observes. "Yet the whole construction is tied to a gimmicky narrative strategy that keeps Slumdog Millionaire from really hitting its stride until the last 30 minutes. By then, it's just a little too late."

http://www.imdb.com/news/ns0000003/#ni0604272

hehe

Yathu
13th November 2008, 07:28 PM
The films being released in America this week!

People in America please go watch the film and don't forget to take in a camera phone to record the song at the end. :lol: Im not supporting movie piracy or anything! :skull:

Alternatively, you could record just the audio. I mean you could just take out your phone and accidently press record on the sound recorder. Thats not illegal is it? :lol: :D

I really wanna hear the "Jai Ho" song!

lancelot
13th November 2008, 07:47 PM
Alternatively, you could record just the audio. I mean you could just take out your phone and accidently press record on the sound recorder. Thats not illegal is it? :lol: :D

NOP! it would be considered purely accidental, so its not piracy :lol:
hehe

Yathu
13th November 2008, 07:56 PM
Dearest American brothers & sisters, you now have approval from both me & Lancelot. Time for you guys to get accident prone. :wink: :lol:

baba88
14th November 2008, 08:18 PM
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2008/11/ar_rahman_on_slumdogs_sound.html

Yathu
15th November 2008, 01:57 AM
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2008/11/ar_rahman_on_slumdogs_sound.html

Reading ARRs responses, it doesn't sound like stuff he'd say. :? I mean it doesn't sound like the way he speaks...Or is it just me?

Great pic of ARR in the article btw! :cool2: Anyone know where its from?

littlemaster1982
16th November 2008, 12:51 AM
Micro reviews in Twitter (http://twitter.com/slumdog). 8-)

ajithfederer
16th November 2008, 01:14 AM
Dig///Yathu great avatar :)
dig ends//

Yathu
16th November 2008, 02:12 AM
Dig///Yathu great avatar :)
dig ends//

Thanks AF, its from the article posted by baba88! :D

lancelot
17th November 2008, 08:30 PM
Danny Boyle's Mumbai: 'A City In Fast-Forward'
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=96982584

hehe

natha1729
18th November 2008, 10:31 AM
Quote of the day.............

"Man has to go to the moon," says T.K. Alex, head of ISRO's satellite centre. "If something happens to Earth, a natural or man-made disaster, we may also need a colony on Mars."

The idea of colonising the moon, let alone Mars, marks a huge strategic shift for India, which has previously focused on cheaper projects with more earthly applications.

sat_srini
18th November 2008, 11:04 AM
There is nothing wrong if man goes to visit the moon/mars. This does not imply that he is going to live there forever. In fact, nobody is going to turn down a free trip to the moon. There is also the opportunity to use the experience for the so called "earthly" applications.

Sorry for being boring, but this was the only way to address that comment.

Wibha
18th November 2008, 12:21 PM
OMG just saw the trailer!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

indian guy with british accent!!! what more can you want? :notworthy: he looks kinda hot :thumbsup: and young ;)

ARR :notworthy:

they better release the movie here :x :x :x :x

k_vanan
18th November 2008, 12:57 PM
Ms. Pinto - so beautiful :D

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/buzz-log-freida-pinto.html

baba88
19th November 2008, 11:36 PM
This is the O Sayaa song from Slumdog Millionaire. The part of M.I.A. starts at the end of the clip.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1115RRGCv40

littlemaster1982
20th November 2008, 05:53 AM
[tscii:131345ace7]Track listing from IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1010048/board/nest/122795676)

1. Scene: Song on the train with Kids
Album: Kala
Artist: M.I.A
Song: Paper Planes
Album Link: http://www.amazon.com/Kala-M-I/dp/B000TJ6CM2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1226726339&sr=1-4

2. Scene: Salim's phone ringtone
Album: Swades
Artist: AR RAHMAN
Song: Swades Theme (Background Music)
Download From: http://www.mediafire.com/?2dms25cnsrd
Album Link: http://www.amazon.com/Swades-R-Rahman/dp/B000CS9AYC
Note: The theme song is not present in the album, but all the other songs are equally AWESOME

3. Scene: Happy Music in the Movie Trailer of Slumdog Millionaire
Album: Takk
Artist: SIGUR ROS
Song: Hoppipolla
Album Link: http://www.amazon.com/Takk-Sigur-R%C3%B3s/dp/B000AJJNPY

4. Scene: Police chasing Kids in the Slums
Album: SlumDog Millionaire
Song: O..Saya
Performed By: AR RAHMAN and M.I.A
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOzzAZEoYgQ

5. Scene: Song Playing in the Television when Javed is dancing with Chicks
Album: Don, the Chase Begins
Artist: Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy
Song: Aaj Ki Raat
Album Link: http://www.amazon.com/Don-Chase-Begins-Again-Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy/dp/B001AMS7KW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1226725302&sr=1-1
Perfomed By: Sonu Nigam, Alisha Chinoy

6. Scene: End Credits Bollywood Song
Album: Slumdog Millionaire
Song: Jai Ho
Performed By: Sukhwinder Singh

7. Scene: French play at the Taj Mahal
Album: Gluck: Orphée et Eurydice
Artist: Leopold Simoneau
Song: No.43 [Air] "J'ai perdu mon Eurydice"
Preview Song: http://www.passionato.com/play/track/221020
Album Link: http://www.amazon.com/Gluck-Orphee-Eurydice-Leopold-Simoneau/dp/B000MGBLQY

8. Scene: 14-Year old Latika dancing
Song: Ranga-Ranga
Performed By: Ila Arun, Alka Yagnik, Raqueeb Alam

9. Scene: Who Wants to be a Millionaire Theme
Artist: Keith Strachan, Mathew Strachan
Song: I want to be a Millionaire
Album Link: http://www.amazon.com/Who-Wants-Millionaire-Various-Artists/dp/B00004TACO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1226726663&sr=1-2

10. Scene: Search for Latika
Artist: AR Rahman
Performed By: Alka Yagnik

11. Scene: Salim chasing Latika at the Train Station
Artist: AR Rahman
Download: http://download.rahmanism.com/Downloads/SDM/Slumdog_Millionaire-promo-audio.mp3

12. Scene: Song in the trailer when kids are running on the train
Album: Great DJ
Artist: The Ting Tings
Song: Great DJ
Album Link: http://www.amazon.com/Great-DJ-Ting-Tings/dp/B00133FBGQ

13. Scene: Kids singing the song in a row (including the Blind kid)
Album: Narsi Bhagat
Artist: Ravi
Song: Darshan Do Ghanshyam
Perfomed By: Hemant Kumar, Manna Dey, Sudha Malhotra
Listen at: http://www.dishant.com/mailsong/40720.html
[/tscii:131345ace7]

natha1729
20th November 2008, 12:07 PM
a twitter review

Brian Quinn: It was much bettter than I thought it would be. I love anything from India so the dancing at the end was great. the director is great at whatever he does. I wish it did not start so graphic, but that is India and so it needed to

08:11 PM November 13, 2008 from web

was the song or the dancing or both that was better? i am not getting the feel in the twitter reviews that the song is anything to rave about.

btw, there was one Tamil song of ARR from Azhagiya Thamizh M in the soundtrack?

prabakarramalingam
21st November 2008, 09:02 AM
[tscii:9afc12fb06]It’s one of the most buzzed-about films of the season, and a surefire Oscar contender. She’s an accomplished musician who made a commercial breakthrough with “Paper Planes,” one of the year’s biggest sleeper hits. Now, MTV has the exclusive scoop on the soundtrack that will bring M.I.A. and “Slumdog Millionaire” together for your listening enjoyment.

Renowned composer A.R. Rahman will release his critically beloved “Slumdog Millionaire” soundtrack online next week – and in stores next month – giving moviegoers the chance to take home his unique musical pastiche of what it feels like to grow up on the mean streets of Mumbai, India. In many early reviews of the recently opened Danny Boyle flick, critics (such as our own Kurt Loder) have praised the groundbreaking efforts of the music, which mixes the disparate worlds of Bollywood and hip-hop.

M.I.A.’s love for the Bollywood style had her recording inside A.R. Rahman’s studio in India, and she has referred to him as “the Indian Timbaland.” This new “Slumdog” soundtrack will make their collaboration “O…Saya” available for the first time, as well as a remix of her worldwide hit “Paper Planes.”

Other songs on the soundtrack include “Gangsta Blues” featuring hip-hop artist BlaaZe and “Jai Ho,” which closes out the film with a rousing sing-a-long that has reportedly caused some audiences to burst into applause. “The energy of the film takes you through a roller coaster,” Rahman, one of the world’s top 25 all-time selling recording artists, recently told Variety. “And that’s one of the main inspirations for the whole music.”

The “Slumdog Millionaire” soundtrack will be available online everywhere November 25th, and at finer record stores on December 23rd. here is the complete listing:

1. “O… Saya” Performed by A R Rahman & M.I.A.
2. “Riots” by A R Rahman
3. “Mausam & Escape” by A R Rahman
4. “Paper Planes” Performed by M.I.A.
5. “Paper Planes” DFA REMIX Performed by M.I.A.
6. “”Ringa Ringa” by A R Rahman featuring Alka Yagnik & Ila Arun
7. “Liquid Dance” by A R Rahman featuring Palakkad Sriram & Madhumitha
8. “Latika’s Theme” by A R Rahman featuring Suzanne
9. “Aaj Ki Raat” Performed by Sonu Nigam, Mahalaxmi Lyer & Alisha Chinoi
10. “Millionaire” by A R Rahman featuring Madhumitha
11. “Gangsta Blues” by A R Rahman featuring BlaaZe & Tanvi Shah
12. “Dreams on Fire” by A R Rahman featuring Suzzanne
13. “Jai Ho” by A R Rahman featuring Sukhvinder Singh, Tanvi Shah & Mahalaxmi Iyer

URL: http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2008/11/20/exclusive-slumdog-millionaire-soundtrack-revealed/[/tscii:9afc12fb06]

littlemaster1982
21st November 2008, 09:38 AM
:redjump: :bluejump: :victory:

Ramakrishna
21st November 2008, 08:19 PM
Jai HO
http://www.ziddu.com/download/2065102/cnandoslab.rar.html

dinesh2002
21st November 2008, 08:42 PM
[tscii:53573d311a]

1. “O… Saya” Performed by A R Rahman & M.I.A.
2. “Riots” by A R Rahman
3. “Mausam & Escape” by A R Rahman
4. “Paper Planes” Performed by M.I.A.
5. “Paper Planes” DFA REMIX Performed by M.I.A.
6. “”Ringa Ringa” by A R Rahman featuring Alka Yagnik & Ila Arun
7. “Liquid Dance” by A R Rahman featuring Palakkad Sriram & Madhumitha
8. “Latika’s Theme” by A R Rahman featuring Suzanne
9. “Aaj Ki Raat” Performed by Sonu Nigam, Mahalaxmi Lyer & Alisha Chinoi
10. “Millionaire” by A R Rahman featuring Madhumitha
11. “Gangsta Blues” by A R Rahman featuring BlaaZe & Tanvi Shah
12. “Dreams on Fire” by A R Rahman featuring Suzzanne
13. “Jai Ho” by A R Rahman featuring Sukhvinder Singh, Tanvi Shah & Mahalaxmi Iyer

URL: http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2008/11/20/exclusive-slumdog-millionaire-soundtrack-revealed/[/tscii:53573d311a]

WOW...So many songs???????? :shock: they should release the audio!!!!!!

Nerd
22nd November 2008, 02:21 AM
[tscii:e0d1207209]

The “Slumdog Millionaire” soundtrack will be available online everywhere November 25th, and at finer record stores on December 23rd. here is the complete listing:

Limited release and Finer stores.. Why???? 28 weeks later-lam I think opened at #1 in here :?[/tscii:e0d1207209]

natha1729
22nd November 2008, 05:23 AM
[tscii:3b09528b71]i am rooting for rahman more than anyone in the world, but it seems like Jai Ho is not that much..... read on

The movie makes occasional references to Bollywood – most notably to megastar Amitabh Bachchan – and Beaufoy’s sunniness would fit in nicely with an industry where even the most serious and negative subject matter is turned into a vehicle for glossily produced song-and-dance numbers.

Even though A.R. Rahman, the most famous and lauded Bollywood composer, did the score here, Boyle resists the temptation to insert a fantasy musical number ... until the closing credit sequence, when the narrative itself is over. And, while it provides a bit of added energy, it’s far from the first rank of Bollywood production numbers.

http://www.lacitybeat.com/cms/story/detail/slumming_around/7782/
[/tscii:3b09528b71]

cuty2sweety
22nd November 2008, 11:15 AM
just came back from the movie
BGM is too good :)ARR kalakitaaru :notworthy: :notworthy:
Was lil disappointed with Jai Ho :oops:

rayan36
23rd November 2008, 11:36 AM
two days more to go.... :D

complicateur
23rd November 2008, 12:37 PM
Just had the pleasure of catching Slumdog Millionaire and hearing Rahman's background score in all its detail on my headphones. Its rich and textured and does full justice to Danny Boyle's vision of the incredibly chaotic but irrationally compassionate country we call home. It has great string work be it the Santoor or guitar (I thought I heard some VeeNa in some paces but cant be sure). As always there is great percussive work to depict the cadence of the overflowing populace and the best work is reserved for chase sequences. The BGM use is sparing but what is used is apt and augments the visuals very well.

natha1729
23rd November 2008, 10:10 PM
I would have like to hear O Jaaye song from Tenali as the finale for this movie. or Athini XChithini, really would've got the audienxce xcrazy

prabakarramalingam
24th November 2008, 10:57 PM
URL: http://ax.itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/browserRedirect?url=itms%253A%252F%252Fax.itunes.a pple.com%252FWebObjects%252FMZStore.woa%252Fwa%252 FviewAlbum%253Fid%253D296876695%2526s%253D143441

Source: ARR Yahoo Groups

mikesasi
25th November 2008, 12:55 PM
guys,
are these songs available online now? I cant download them from itunes, since it's for US folks, i guess.. please advice. eagerly
waiting for it.

lancelot
25th November 2008, 01:48 PM
please advise people... any other links where we can get the album from?

hehe

sat_srini
25th November 2008, 08:45 PM
Good quality version of a couple of songs -

O'Saya - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHpNAIpL1Uw

Jai Ho - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cEY9YLcv4k

thineshan54321
25th November 2008, 09:14 PM

kadavule thaangamudiyala. ARR seems to be the master at replicating train rhhythms with so much perfection. LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! reminds me of the rahman of 90s. rhythm oriented. the song borrows initial tune from elaa pugazhum. amazing song nevertheless.

baba88
25th November 2008, 11:33 PM
Hey, can anybody plsss pm the album ?

Scale
25th November 2008, 11:57 PM

Thanks a tonne srini. I need the soundtrack :redjump: :bluejump:

youtube rocks!

sat_srini
26th November 2008, 11:16 AM
You can listen to all the songs and buy it here -

http://mp3.rhapsody.com/album/slumdog-millionaire-music-from-the-motion-picture?artistId=art.6626436

lancelot
26th November 2008, 11:29 AM
anyone willing to upload the songs and give us the link... looks like it will take awhile for the CD to come to SL :(
hehe

mikesasi
26th November 2008, 02:09 PM
guys, please send some download links, if there's...
eager waitng to those songs...

ajaybaskar
26th November 2008, 02:59 PM
me too...

Vivasaayi
26th November 2008, 03:38 PM
wow!

arr composing for "trainspotting fame" david boyle movie!!!!!!

Scale
26th November 2008, 04:13 PM
Liquid Dance (http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=S3z3wXCksCw)

A.ANAND
26th November 2008, 04:31 PM
:ty: :omg:

Yathu
26th November 2008, 04:36 PM

As someones commented on the vid, it does have the same instrumentation/ tune as parts of the ATM BGM. Also Jai Ho, as Thineshan pointed out reuses part of the Ella Pugalum tune. I'm guessing they were composed around the same time?

MADDY
26th November 2008, 05:38 PM
o saya is awesome 8-)

Movies
26th November 2008, 07:48 PM
Gangsta Blue is Cool! Again coul'd have avoided Blaze. No clue wh rahman has blazee with him, sure his B to the A was good but everyother time he has been stale. Mausam & escape... gorgeous.... what a fusion!

O saya is awesome, Jai Ho is probably more effective watching it first at the movies cause the song reflects the movie's theme perfectly! I wish Rahman had his own take on the Millionaire's theme, but that would be at the ocst of 'reality' Rahman's Chole Ke Peche Kyahai, man! Rahman's versatality!

Prior to hearing the audio, I was sceptical about its chances at the oscars, but hey, I think ARR might as well have his first nomination for an OST at the Academy's!

directhit
26th November 2008, 08:10 PM

Jai Ho - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cEY9YLcv4k i get video is private msg :( - can someone pm me links for songs :oops:

crajkumar_be
26th November 2008, 08:25 PM

Jai Ho - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cEY9YLcv4k i get video is private msg :( - can someone pm me links for songs :oops:
Same here.. Links please

lancelot
26th November 2008, 08:32 PM

Same here.. Links please

does anyone have the songs? if so please upload them an give us poor people the link :(

hehe

Mahen
26th November 2008, 08:36 PM
Pls send me the links too..

villan007
26th November 2008, 10:03 PM
Pls send me the links too..

enakum enakum ...

Scale
26th November 2008, 10:46 PM
U can listen to 4 tracks here (http://www.cinefundas.com/2008/11/26/slumdog-millionaire-songs-first-on-net#)

Mausam & Escape, Paper planes :10,000 volts stuff:

Out of 13, I have listened to 5 tracks. ARR rocks big time! :notworthy:

A.ANAND
27th November 2008, 07:53 AM
scale sir,can we get slumdog in mp3 version?

dinesh2002
27th November 2008, 08:11 AM
me 3 !!! :D... i like that Liquid Dance number....its sung by Sriram right... great energy....!!

A.ANAND
27th November 2008, 08:52 AM
appa innum konja naala-la ella stage dance program-la slumdog soundtrack pottu thekka porannga!!!

A.ANAND
27th November 2008, 08:52 AM
appa innum konja naala-la ella stage dance program-la slumdog soundtrack pottu thekka porannga!!!

A.ANAND
27th November 2008, 09:04 AM
it's slumdog soundtrack audio release in malaysia??

Scale
27th November 2008, 09:57 AM
Sorry Guys, I dont have it. Whatever I posted is from ARR YG and a bit of smart google search.

Is that paper planes <how silly?> :lol: If anyone got hold of the CD please post the full credit list. Lot of I am dying to see that as well to hear the rest of the tracks.

thamizhvaanan
27th November 2008, 09:59 AM
[tscii:4067db782e]Mini-Review: Slumdog Millionaire Soundtrack

Posted on Wednesday, November 26th, 2008 at 2:37 pm by: David Chen

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/11/26/mini-review-slumdog-millionaire-soundtrack/

Right from the chase scene near the beginning of Slumdog Millionaire, I knew that this was a movie whose soundtrack I was going to have to own. The music actually got better as the film went along, from the love theme all the way to the final triumphant Bollywood dance number.

The soundtrack for Slumdog Millionaire was finally released on iTunes yesterday, but the CD won’t be out until December 23rd. You can click here to buy it from iTunes but I chose not to exercise this option for two reasons: 1) The quality of songs from iTunes isn’t up to par with that of a CD, and 2) The songs are still locked down by restrictive DRM. But with my overwhelming desire to listen to the soundtrack, a desire which has dogged me ever since I first left my screening of the film, what was I to do?

Turns out, it was Rhapsody that came to the rescue! For those who aren’t familiar with Rhapsody’s service, they offer you the opportunity to listen to 25 free tracks per month (the service is ad-supported). While they usually don’t have a lot of music I want, they happened to have this soundtrack, so for those of you who want to listen to the entire soundtrack legally and completely free of charge (assuming you haven’t already used up your 25 free tracks this month), just click here. Note that the last track, “Jai Ho,” is only available for purchase.

My initial thoughts on the soundtrack: As with most soundtracks, the music loses some impact without the images and sounds that accompany them on screen, and this is especially true here. The imagery of Slumdog Millionaire is so dynamic and colorful that it’s hard for them not to be intertwined with the musical motifs and vocals. That being said, I still love this collection of songs, most of which were composed by the monstrously popular A.R. Rahmam. In the end, though, I think I like it more for the memories it brings up of the movie rather than as an independent work of art in and of itself. That’s just a personal feeling though; this soundtrack is certainly worth a listen for anyone with even a casual interest in the genre.

Some highlights:

* The opening track “O… Saya” has a spectacular, expansive vocal track that evokes the scenic vistas of India that Boyle sprinkles liberally throughout Slumdog.

Here’s a clip from this track:
* “Mausam & Escape” is percussive and bold, effectively capturing the urgency of Jamal and Salim as they flee for their lives.
* “Ringa Ringa” is a catchy tune that drips with exoticism.
* “Latika’s Theme” is brief but beautiful. To this day, I still get a bit weepy when I hear this track, so effective it is at evoking the intimate moments from the film.

Here’s a clip from this track:
* “Jai Ho,” the music that accompanies the final dance sequence, is still as exuberant in audio form as it was on screen.
* If you’re a fan of M.I.A., “Paper Planes” is here, along with an entertaining remix.

[/tscii:4067db782e]

thamizhvaanan
27th November 2008, 10:00 AM
One of the comments from the above site:

- Todd Fields

I went to raphsody to listen the paper planes Remix version. I was thinking the entire Soundtrack done by MIA, couldn't believe she had a collobaration with Rahman indi musician, Just thought of giving a try and ended up completing all my 25 free usage tracks. unbelivable I haven't come across this kind of sound before. I do remeber the days where I enjoyed listening michael jackson overwhelmed, really i felt the same feeling after hearing this soundtrack. Personally I love Dark Knight but slumdog soundtracks is totally different and it's keep growing when I listen each time. Best Sound of the Year. My personal soundtracks are "Mausam & escape", "Lathika's Theme", "Liquid Dance", "Dreams of Fire", "O Saya".

:2thumbsup:

kham
27th November 2008, 10:24 AM
GUYZ...... Gota hold of Slumdog complete songs.......
Im enjoying it..... Amazing... Im lovin suzaane's songs dreeams on fire..... Rocking man...

kham
27th November 2008, 10:55 AM
All siongs r gr8... including M.I.A's song...

But im bit dissapointed with Ringa Ringa song, as it is heavily influenced by Cholike Beeche song... U can c da traces of dat song all over... Even da singer used Illa Arun & Alga Yagnik makes it sound very similar... I tink it wud have been needed for da movie n ARR wud hav composed in such style...

lancelot
27th November 2008, 01:47 PM
please give us the link kham :)
hehe

directhit
27th November 2008, 02:42 PM
yea, links plsssssssss :yes:

villan007
27th November 2008, 02:59 PM
yea, links plsssssssss :yes:

nekum nekum

kham
27th November 2008, 03:02 PM
guys pm me ur email addresses will be able to fwd to u all

Reality
27th November 2008, 03:20 PM

But im bit dissapointed with Ringa Ringa song, as it is heavily influenced by Cholike Beeche song... U can c da traces of dat song all over... Even da singer used Illa Arun & Alga Yagnik makes it sound very similar... I tink it wud have been needed for da movie n ARR wud hav composed in such style...

AR Rahman's association with Subhash Ghai continues in more ways than one. While the composer has been giving the soundtrack for most of Ghai's recent projects, he is all set to pay a tribute to one of the showman's biggest blockbusters.
We are talking about the smash hit Madhuri Dixit number Choli Ke Peeche from Khal Nayak. Released way back in 1993, the song had not only created waves on the music charts, but had attracted a fair share of controversy thanks to its suggestive lyrics and choreography.

More than a decade later, Rahman will reworking the number for Danny Boyle's Slumdog Millionaire. According to a report in the Mumbai Mirror, Ghai is aware of the experiment but the original composer Pyarelal (of the Laxmikant-Pyarelal duo) is not.

Rahman says, "The song fitted the mood of the film. It represents the frentic pace, the colour and swirl of the early 90s". The re-recorded version has been composed with the original voices of Ila Arun and Alka Yagnik.

Rahman adds that the success of Slumndog Millionaire will have positive effects on Indian tourism and bring the country back on the global cultural map. Slumdog Millionaire's soundtrack is expected to release on December 12, 2008.

AR Rahman's association with Subhash Ghai continues in more ways than one. While the composer has been giving the soundtrack for most of Ghai's recent projects, he is all set to pay a tribute to one of the showman's biggest blockbusters.
We are talking about the smash hit Madhuri Dixit number Choli Ke Peeche from Khal Nayak. Released way back in 1993, the song had not only created waves on the music charts, but had attracted a fair share of controversy thanks to its suggestive lyrics and choreography.

More than a decade later, Rahman will reworking the number for Danny Boyle's Slumdog Millionaire. According to a report in the Mumbai Mirror, Ghai is aware of the experiment but the original composer Pyarelal (of the Laxmikant-Pyarelal duo) is not.

Rahman says, "The song fitted the mood of the film. It represents the frentic pace, the colour and swirl of the early 90s". The re-recorded version has been composed with the original voices of Ila Arun and Alka Yagnik.

Rahman adds that the success of Slumndog Millionaire will have positive effects on Indian tourism and bring the country back on the global cultural map. Slumdog Millionaire's soundtrack is expected to release on December 12, 2008.

http://buzz18.in.com/news/music/choli-ke-peeche-with-a-rahman-twist/99451/0

dinesh2002
27th November 2008, 03:22 PM

http://buzz18.in.com/news/music/choli-ke-peeche-with-a-rahman-twist/99451/0

1st time ARR is working on another MD's work isnt it.... :?

A.ANAND
27th November 2008, 04:06 PM
N.E.E.T./Interscope Records to Release Renowned Composer A.R. Rahman's Slumdog Millionaire Soundtrack Available Online Everywhere November 25 and in Stores December 23
INCLUDES PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED M.I.A. / A.R. RAHMAN COLLABORATION 'O ... SAYA'

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/NEETInterscope-Records-Release-Renowned-Composer/story.aspx?guid=%7B4D4497FA-D8AF-45ED-8704-B60B614D452C%7D

Reality
27th November 2008, 06:12 PM
[tscii:1ab2f58148]A. R. Rahman uses 'Choli Ke Peeche' track from Khalnayak in Slumdog Millionaire

By Subhash K. Jha, November 27, 2008 - 14:18 IST

Rahman currently in the charts for his haunting ballads 'Tu Muskura' and 'Tu Meri Dost Hai' in Yuvvraaj is very happy about the international success of Danny Boyle's Slumdog Millionaire (SM).

"The success means something positive for Indian tourism. It's brought India to the cultural map again."

Though Pyarelal, the surviving-half of the legendary Laxmikant-Pyarelal duo don't know yet, but Subhash Ghai knows the big secret.

The controversial chartbuster 'Choli Ke Peeche Kya Hai' which Laxmi-Pyare composed for Subhash Ghai's Khalnayak is now part of Danny Boyle's Slumdog Millionaire.

Says Rahman, "The song fitted the mood of the film. It represents that period in the early 1990s... The colour, the swirl and the frenetic pace. So I've re-recorded it in the same two voices Alka Yagnik and Ila Arun, though in a totally re-worked form."

The song will feature in the Slumdog soundtrack when it releases in December. Why is the soundtrack being released after release of the film? "As usual we took a little more time on it than we thought we needed to produce the album properly, " says Rahman sheepishly, having to live down the not-unfairly earned reputation of being tardy in delivering the complete score. "The soundtrack is being released on December 12."

He's very excited by the impact that his sounds in Slumdog Millionaire have made on Westerners. "They released it on a small scale and are gradually increasing the prints. Slumdog releases in America next month. I'll be in the US for the promotion."

Besides the background score, Rahman has done 4 songs in SM. "I've also collaborated with the rap artiste Maya. We co-wrote a song called 'Oh Saya'. She wrote the English lyrics. There's also a version of Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy's 'Aaj Ki Raat' in the soundtrack."

SM is Rahman's second big Western film score after Shekhar Kapoor's The Golden Age. "But that was a period film...a genre that I've been unconsciously associated with the most. Slumdog... is contemporary."

The year has been plush with projects for Rahman. "I've worked with three generations of directors, and in as many continents. I can tell what they like and not like. Working with Abbas Tyrewala in Jaane Tu...Ya Jaane Na was a rewarding experience. Yes, I’ll be doing Abbas' next.I'm as proud of 'Pappu Can't Dance Saala' as 'Tu Muskura'. "

http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/news/2008/11/27/12244/index.html
[/tscii:1ab2f58148]

baba88
28th November 2008, 12:09 AM
can anybody send me the links for the album ? maybe a pm ?

Dragun
28th November 2008, 12:31 AM
Baba, the songs are available on iTunes.

Guess_Me
28th November 2008, 02:31 AM
But it is just 128 kbps. It is an injustice to ARR to listen to his songs in that quality.

lancelot
28th November 2008, 09:55 AM
But it is just 128 kbps. It is an injustice to ARR to listen to his songs in that quality.

you got that rite
hehe

rajasaranam
28th November 2008, 10:15 AM

Hmmm When i Tried buying it from iTunes it said the songs are not available for India :evil:

Dragun
28th November 2008, 10:33 AM
Sorry, didn't know you were in India. I don't know when the soundtrack releases in India, but in the US it will be released on CD on December 23rd. Don't know why they decided to release it on iTunes so much earlier than the CD.

And I agree, only lossless will do for ARR :)

ajaybaskar
28th November 2008, 11:38 AM
In India, audio releases on Dec 12th. Source: TOI dated 28/11/08

baba88
28th November 2008, 08:53 PM
Pls send me the album. I am also not able to order from itunes. I won't send it to anyone else

A.ANAND
29th November 2008, 12:29 PM
boxoffice collection slumdog in u.s.a

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/boxoffice/

Wibha
29th November 2008, 12:34 PM
just saw this movie

i booked the tickets 5 hours before and there were only 10 seats remaining :shock:

freaking awesome movie :2thumbsup:

the sound track :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: idhukaagave 2 times paarkalaam... ARR :notworthy:

dev patel :P this guy is sooo cute :P and has done an excellent job
frieda- she's gorgeous :D
all of them have acted really well...
dev's bro's character :thumbsup:

there are a few disgusting scenes :| and they show the dirtiest slums in india :( :(

some jokes were kinda indian and when i was laughing out my friend thought i was crazy :ashamed:

sha
29th November 2008, 03:54 PM
guys , its available on torrents,, these DC guys r releasing all ARR albums exclusive on torrents,,,

prasana84
29th November 2008, 04:14 PM
http://oscar-watch.ew.com/oscar_roundup/index.html

Wil rahman win a oscar for india. :confused2:

directhit
29th November 2008, 05:15 PM
some jokes were kinda indian and when i was laughing out my friend thought i was crazy :ashamed: :lol:

Awesome music :musicsmile: :musicsmile:

A.ANAND
29th November 2008, 05:33 PM
'Choli Ke Peechhey Kya Hai' gets a Rahman twist

http://www.apunkachoice.com/scoop/music/choli-ke-peechhey-kya-hai-gets-a-rahman-twist.html

thamizhvaanan
29th November 2008, 05:50 PM

According to this site, the possible awards for ARR are:

Best song : Jai ho (Best bet)
Best original score: (possible)

The listed probables are:

Best original song

Best Original Song, "Jaiho"
I don't want to say too much, but the movie's closing credits are the highlight of the film, and that's due in large part to the song that plays over them. (best bet :2thumbsup: )

Best Original Song, "Another Way to Die"
Jack White and Alicia Keys' duet isn't winning over tons of fans (or getting much radio play), but Bond songs do have a decent track record at the Oscars. (rated possible :D )

Best original score

Best Original Score, Danny Elfman
The last time he teamed with Van Sant (for Good Will Hunting), he scored one of his first Oscar nominations. (rated possible)

Best Original Score, A.R. Rahman
Rahman is a celebrated pop star and composer in his native India; can he break through and achieve Oscar recognition as well? (also rated possible)

prasana84
29th November 2008, 11:04 PM

According to this site, the possible awards for ARR are:

Best song : Jai ho (Best bet)
Best original score: (possible)

The listed probables are:

Best original song

Best Original Song, "Jaiho"
I don't want to say too much, but the movie's closing credits are the highlight of the film, and that's due in large part to the song that plays over them. (best bet :2thumbsup: )

Best Original Song, "Another Way to Die"
Jack White and Alicia Keys' duet isn't winning over tons of fans (or getting much radio play), but Bond songs do have a decent track record at the Oscars. (rated possible :D )

Best original score

Best Original Score, Danny Elfman
The last time he teamed with Van Sant (for Good Will Hunting), he scored one of his first Oscar nominations. (rated possible)

Best Original Score, A.R. Rahman
Rahman is a celebrated pop star and composer in his native India; can he break through and achieve Oscar recognition as well? (also rated possible)
So there is more posibility rite :)

inetk
29th November 2008, 11:06 PM
Rahman's best international work to date!

200 words.
http://itwofs.com/milliblog/2008/11/29/music-review-slumdog-millionaire-a-r-rahman-and-others/

sha
30th November 2008, 12:05 AM
yup... im hooked with "latikas theme" soothing no:

baba88
30th November 2008, 12:42 AM
Wow ... finally I got another song like Spirit of Rangeela with Liquid Dance. I have waited almost 10 years for another Rangeela Theme. It's incredible !

natha1729
30th November 2008, 07:36 AM
saw SDM on TD. chose Q&A) over QoS, that is JM over JB. Boyle is the hero of the day. straight from the heart. Absolutely charming and great precision screenplay. there was applause, mostly western and it was almost full house for a holiday.

i would give awards for direction or rather directness, editing (seamless), screen play - most of the edits are on the assumption further explaination is not needed. perfect. Definitely for screenplay and also definitely for......

yes,..... overall music (different from usual hollywood and also from screechy bollywood style, which means absolutely IR style!!! that is why people liked this score, familiar with it but not realizing that IR was always doing it this way.), if not then for song jai ho (structure is superb and quick to the chase (dance and ending credits just simply charming), song perfectly ment for world audience, proves indian composers can rise to challenge as well and still be unique.)

the photography gave the right tones and views, and get the color of squalor without making you feel like puking. did they actually shoot the s*IT in the openair s*IT yards? if so, then double oscar for the cinematographer!!!

for acting, i would give for 5 of the 2 brothers. youngest and oldest salim and all 3 jamal's had relatively more screen time. youngest brothers and the oldest salim got you feeling very deeply. dev patel/anil kapoor time was very interesting.

worth the $10 (the $5 movie pass was not allowed on TD), a must see for everyone. And an award for VIkas Swarup, the hero-maker for the innovative story telling and for inspiring a perfect movie. despite all the selfishness and third-rateness inside India, thanks to the likes of Shyamalan, Chaddha, Rahman, Swarup and of course Ilayaraja, and I am sure many more to come for the allure of global audience, India can never cease to captivate from the outside.

lancelot
30th November 2008, 10:28 AM
sorry guys... i was so excited about the songs... and didnt think about it... iv removed the link as u can see. :D
hehe

baba88
30th November 2008, 05:39 PM
hey pls delete the link. you can send it to anybody via PM but not in public.

viraajan
30th November 2008, 06:43 PM
Mindblowing songs!!!! :bow:

Stunning music album :thumbsup:

Mahen
30th November 2008, 07:12 PM
Mausam & Escape :notworthy: Stunner

Paper planes , LAtika's theme, Liquid Dance :clap: :clap: :clap:

thineshan54321
30th November 2008, 10:03 PM
can someone please send to me? the cd is not out here yet and i dont want to get it from itunes. thx.

thamizhvaanan
30th November 2008, 10:58 PM
Where is chinna vathiyar LM :huh:

thineshan54321
1st December 2008, 12:07 AM
wow. this is prolly arrs best year after 2000s. just hearing o saya from slumdog millionaire. what a musical production. ROCKING SONG. reminds me of the arrangements from thirudaa thirudaa. but it says MIA is the artist.

thineshan54321
1st December 2008, 12:12 AM
wow mausam and escape. enna sitar arrangements. wow! vintage arr.

Wibha
1st December 2008, 04:30 AM
Where is chinna vathiyar LM :huh:

rombo busy-a irukaaru :)

A.ANAND
1st December 2008, 08:43 AM
3 awards for SDM at BIFA awards 2008

Best British Independent Film
Slumdog Millionaire

Best Director of a British Independent Film
Danny Boyle for Slumdog Millionaire

Most Promising Newcomer
Dev Patel for Slumdog Millionaire

http://www.bifa.org.uk/winners/2008

thineshan54321
1st December 2008, 09:34 AM
3 awards for SDM at BIFA awards 2008

Best British Independent Film
Slumdog Millionaire

Best Director of a British Independent Film
Danny Boyle for Slumdog Millionaire

Most Promising Newcomer
Dev Patel for Slumdog Millionaire

http://www.bifa.org.uk/winners/2008

music?

directhit
1st December 2008, 09:48 AM
they do not seem to have a category for music :roll: :?

directhit
1st December 2008, 11:42 AM
:|

SoftSword
1st December 2008, 12:48 PM
links please... pm me...

sha
1st December 2008, 02:04 PM
fuck re,,,, cant get a ticket even for filmfestival . its fully booked

http://www.dubaifilmfest.com/en/films-explorer/?id=2973

SoftSword
1st December 2008, 02:10 PM
song links please...

sha
1st December 2008, 02:13 PM
song links please...

chek ur PM

SoftSword
1st December 2008, 02:32 PM
Someone please send me any rapidshare or similar links please...

july
1st December 2008, 04:43 PM
Oh man!!!!!!!!!
what a brilliant scoring!!!
great album..must say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SoftSword
1st December 2008, 05:11 PM
http://itwofs.com/milliblog/2008/11/29/music-review-slumdog-millionaire-a-r-rahman-and-others/

RehmanFan
1st December 2008, 07:57 PM
link plsss :oops:

music man
1st December 2008, 09:56 PM
Hi all.........I am very desperate to hear the songs......Can someone give me the links.........plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :victory: :swinghead:

MumbaiRamki
1st December 2008, 11:28 PM
Music_man ,
musicindiaonline has songs .

Somehow im not that impresses , a bit hard on my ears ..:(

A.ANAND
2nd December 2008, 06:37 AM
New Music: A.R. Rahman and M.I.A.: "O... Saya" [Stream]
Photo by Kathryn Yu

You can forget about the Pineapple Express trailer now. "O... Saya", M.I.A.'s previously reported collaboration with A.R. Rahman for the Slumdog Millionaire soundtrack, has hit the blogs, and it's a fast-paced, suspenseful track that combines electro-distorted guitars, a massive percussion section, traditional-sounding vocals, and M.I.A.'s assertive versifying. "I hope I live till I'm 50," she declares-- probably good news for M.I.A. Jr., although Maya's mention of a sweat shop suggests the song might be done in character. (via The Playlist)

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/download/147807-new-music-ar-rahman-and-mia-o-saya-stream

rajasaranam
2nd December 2008, 01:33 PM
Is the movie's time period set in the 80's & 90's ?!!! The music seems to be the leftovers from Laxmikant pyarelal and Bappi lahiri. Case in points are Aaaj ki Raat, Millionaire and ringa ringa!
BTW the whole album falls flat to me due to the hype that was created around it. Yes its good but there is Nothing to rave about this much. :huh:

thilak4life
2nd December 2008, 01:50 PM
It is (and will be) raved by the American crowd who have a fetish for retro Indian sounds. I heard the BGM is brilliant as well as out-of-place at few moments, but I think this is got to do with Boyle's style. Like how he doesn't arrange musical motifs for just "twists", but let's the composer compose a longer piece to be run for substantial lengths (someone who watched the film could correct me). It's one of the favorites to make it into nominations. Rahman's work looks to have appealed to majority of the mainstream critics, and Danny Boyle is not out of words to hype the soundtrack. I'd say it has all the right ingredients to work.

The last time there were vibes of an Indian composer being nominated was, L. Subramaniam for his work in "Salaam bombay!", another film on Bombay slums by Mira nair. It was less mainstream though.

SoftSword
2nd December 2008, 02:06 PM
salaam bombay... bombay slums... and slumdog millionaire...

why only such movies go into nomination... wats the connection...? or its jus concidence?

thilak4life
2nd December 2008, 02:18 PM
salaam bombay... bombay slums... and slumdog millionaire...

why only such movies go into nomination... wats the connection...? or its jus concidence?

I don't know. Let's wait until this film gets nominated. But I'd like to assume the slums fascinate the American mainstream critics and especially the academy. But they'd also liked films like "Lagaan" and "Water", which are both from "British Raj" period. Lagaan used british oppression and a fairy-tale cricket game. Whereas "water" deals with female discrimination. Of course, there are other themes which might have appealed the Academy. But both these films need not exactly be the best "Indian films" for an informed audience (informed in the sense, familiar with other Indian films, and have lived in India). It appeals to the jury (academy), and nothing more.

A.ANAND
2nd December 2008, 03:06 PM
Is the movie's time period set in the 80's & 90's ?!!! The music seems to be the leftovers from Laxmikant pyarelal and Bappi lahiri. Case in points are Aaaj ki Raat, Millionaire and ringa ringa!
BTW the whole album falls flat to me due to the hype that was created around it. Yes its good but there is Nothing to rave about this much. :huh:

yuvan panni iruntha inneram enna solli irupinnga sir!entha kalathula ARR album nalla irukku innu solli irukinga!kora sollala inna thookam varathu :evil:

rajasaranam
2nd December 2008, 03:26 PM
Anand,

Yuvan Panni iruntha 'Kevalama Irukkunnu' Solli Irupaen Inga apdi sonna ellarum Sandaikku varuvaang'ndrathaala polished solli irukaen. :P
BTW ARR Album'sa naan paaraatti ingayae neraya ezhuthi irukaen thaedi paarunga :)

A.ANAND
2nd December 2008, 03:44 PM
Anand,

Yuvan Panni iruntha 'Kevalama Irukkunnu' Solli Irupaen Inga apdi sonna ellarum Sandaikku varuvaang'ndrathaala polished solli irukaen. :P
BTW ARR Album'sa naan paaraatti ingayae neraya ezhuthi irukaen thaedi paarunga :)

athan sollama sollithingale 'kevalama irukku innu' :D ithatham unnga kitta irunthu ethirpatten!ithu pothum :clap:

ithuvaraikum yuvan album oonu kuda neenga kevalama solli naan paakala! :lol: nalla manasu sir unngalukku! :lol:

oru velai yaardi nee mohini,silambattam,aegan,saroja vida intha album mattama irukko! unngalukku:lol: :lol2:

thamizhvaanan
2nd December 2008, 04:38 PM

:rotfl: Shows how desperate you are :poke:

It was a requirement from film's script that popular bolly songs of 90's be included, since the film covers jamal's life since childhood. To ARR's credit, he redid "choli ke peeche kya hai" instead of adding stupid beats n calling it remix. And Aaj ki Raat is by SEL from a another film :rotfl:

Regarding Millionaire, are you kidding me? if you listen to the current trends, the track is very modern. Listen to the likes of "LCD Soundsytem" you will know. A reviewer from MTV website terms this OST to be very much uptodate.

I ll register my thoughts on the album soon.. too many to mention... just very very excited as of now :D

thamizhvaanan
2nd December 2008, 04:40 PM
Yuvan Panni iruntha 'Kevalama Irukkunnu' Solli Irupaen

Nambittom :lol2:

Hulkster
2nd December 2008, 06:42 PM
I think slumdog millionaire songs are on the right track. Instead of going symphony style using his own innovative sound has really given the film a boost. Nomination for a oscar in place but once again High School Musical will be hyped up more :curse:.

BGM seems good but i felt he missed the timing for the turn of emotions..still needs to work on that though.

RS : could you please not create trouble here, i actually feel jealous of ARR's fans as they try to give credit to ARR's works while we IR fans seem so happy to criticise IR faster than lightning :banghead:

A.ANAND
2nd December 2008, 07:41 PM
I think slumdog millionaire songs are on the right track. Instead of going symphony style using his own innovative sound has really given the film a boost. Nomination for a oscar in place but once again High School Musical will be hyped up more :curse:.

BGM seems good but i felt he missed the timing for the turn of emotions..still needs to work on that though.

RS : could you please not create trouble here, i actually feel jealous of ARR's fans as they try to give credit to ARR's works while we IR fans seem so happy to criticise IR faster than lightning :banghead:

appadi podungga HULKSTER sir! :D :clap: :clap: :notworthy:

music man
2nd December 2008, 07:56 PM
Music_man ,
musicindiaonline has songs .

Somehow im not that impresses , a bit hard on my ears ..:(

Thanks a lot boss.....I will check it out :musicsmile: :ty:

thamizhvaanan
2nd December 2008, 09:27 PM

I guess this track would do to ARR in western world what Rangeela did to him in North India. Some of the sounds he chose to use (liquid dance, a la Rangeela theme) reinforces the thought. Hope something similar to Taal happens w.r.to Hollywood as well.

He conquered India with western sounds and now he is to conquer the world with Indian sounds. We have a truly global musician :notworthy:

IMO, IR is not even close to his best these days, whereas ARR is very much close to his heights of creativity and productivity. Quite naturally thats the cause for such reactions from fans. Nobody reacts by default :)

A.ANAND
3rd December 2008, 06:03 AM
[tscii:1e18d57179]A.R. Rahman: “Danny wanted it loud”

http://www.incontention.com/?p=2929[/tscii:1e18d57179]

A.ANAND
3rd December 2008, 01:21 PM
[tscii:c5a470986f]Blast from Bolly past(IANS)

1 December 2008 Print E-mail
Music director A.R. Rahman, who has given the music for Danny Boyle’s Slumdog Millionaire, has used the controversial chartbuster Choli ke peeche kya hai as a part of the film’s soundtrack and says it fitted the mood of the movie.

“The song fitted the mood of the film. It represents that period in the early 1990s. The colour, the swirl and the frenetic pace - so I’ve re-recorded it in the same two voices, Alka Yagnik and Ila Arun, though in a totally re-worked form,” Rahman said.

Pyarelal composed the song with his late partner Lamxmikant for Subhash Ghai’s 1993 film Khalnaayak and it was picturised on Madhuri Dixit.

Besides the background score, Rahman has done four songs in Slumdog Millionaire.

“I’ve collaborated with rap artiste Maya. We co-wrote a song called Oh saya. She wrote the English lyrics. There’s also a version of Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy’s Aaj ki raat in the soundtrack.”

The film’s soundtrack is being launched after the film’s release on December 12.

Asked about the delayed release, Rahman said: “As usual we took a little more time on it than we thought we needed to produce the album properly.”

The film is Rahman’s second big Western film score after Shekhar Kapoor’s The Golden Age.

“But that was a period film... a genre that I’ve been unconsciously associated with the most. Slumdog... is contemporary,” he said.

Rahman is also happy about the movie’s success at international film festivals.

“They released it on a small scale and are gradually increasing the prints. Slumdog Millionaire releases in America next month. I’ll be in the US for the promotion,” he said.

Slumdog Millionaire, based on Indian diplomat Vikas Swarup’s rags-to-riches novel Q&A, stars Anil Kapoor and Dev Patel. The year has been great for Rahman with hits like Jodhaa Akbar and Jaane Tu...Ya Jaane Na.

“I’ve worked with three generations of directors and in as many continents. I can tell what they like and not like. Working with Abbas Tyrewala in Jaane Tu... Ya Jaane Na was a rewarding experience.”

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticle.asp?xfile=data/citytimes/2008/December/citytimes_December3.xml&section=citytimes&col=
[/tscii:c5a470986f]

Ramakrishna
3rd December 2008, 08:34 PM
ATM BGM has been reused for Liquid Dance

thineshan54321
4th December 2008, 06:25 AM
hey guys i asked earlier if o saya was composed by Rahman as it said in the track listing somewhere that mia composed it. guess what if you are one of those like me that knew somewhere deep down that o saya is Rahman's sound u were right. check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slumdog_Millionaire go to track listing.

A.ANAND
4th December 2008, 06:26 AM
The Music of Slumdog Millionaire
A pulsating score from A.R. Rahman drives the underdog film, with help from M.I.A.

http://www.film.com/movies/slumdog-millionaire/story/the-music-of-slumdog-millionaire/24756658

thineshan54321
4th December 2008, 06:41 AM
two more movies like slumdog millionaire especially in a hollywood production will put ARR as the top film composer/producer in the world. in SDM he showcased so many genres and did a 10/10 job on each of those. this soundtrack kills. my fav is definitely o saya, mausam and escape, latika's theme, dreams on fire, and riots. jai ho and liquid dance dont really stick to me because they borrowed tunes from ATM. but love the rahman mix in liquid dance (middle eastern sound with carnatic/hindustani jathi). i love the MSV style intro to jai ho (horse rhythm).

thamizhvaanan
4th December 2008, 09:37 AM
two more movies like slumdog millionaire especially in a hollywood production will put ARR as the top film composer/producer in the world. in SDM he showcased so many genres and did a 10/10 job on each of those. this soundtrack kills. my fav is definitely o saya, mausam and escape, latika's theme, dreams on fire, and riots. jai ho and liquid dance dont really stick to me because they borrowed tunes from ATM. but love the rahman mix in liquid dance (middle eastern sound with carnatic/hindustani jathi). i love the MSV style intro to jai ho (horse rhythm).

Yes, I dont feel jai ho is great... may be it will sound better while watching the film. Sukhwinder's singing is superb though... nice energy. Even Shankar mahadevan wud have done a good job.

Dreams on fire is superb too.. Suzanne has sung it really well... she sounds like Amy lee here and there.

Quite easily, O saya and mausam are the top tracks of this album :thumbsup:

thineshan54321
4th December 2008, 09:57 AM

Yes, I dont feel jai ho is great... may be it will sound better while watching the film. Sukhwinder's singing is superb though... nice energy. Even Shankar mahadevan wud have done a good job.

Dreams on fire is superb too.. Suzanne has sung it really well... she sounds like Amy lee here and there.

Quite easily, O saya and mausam are the top tracks of this album :thumbsup:

for sure. but which track do you guys think is worthy of oscar? or maybe it is the soundtrack on a whole.

thamizhvaanan
4th December 2008, 10:07 AM
Jai ho most probably.. let us not count the chickens before they hatch. People are always fussy about music.. its not easy to overcome musical tastes and prejudices... Lets wait and watch :)

Scale
4th December 2008, 11:12 AM
MR,
Danny wanted it loud (http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2008/11/ar_rahman_on_slumdogs_sound.html)

Yes, Its sound very hard to ears.

Thineshan,

O Sayya is by AR, It seams they exchanged the track thru mail and MIA does the english part lyrics & vocals were recorded by herself in England. This was said by AR in an interview which I couldnt locate it now.

TV : "Dreams of fire" is a rework of "Kahin Tho". I havent listened upto my understanding to comment further or to pick my instant fav. This is not a typical indian films approach. Have to watch it as well. Too many tracks on playlist, I am really struggling to switch between :bluejump: :redjump:

directhit
4th December 2008, 11:59 AM
My Fav is Mausam/Liquid Dance/O Saya followed by Jai Ho 8-)
MIA's paper planes remix is cool too!!

Scale
4th December 2008, 01:14 PM
Never put a cello in my film - Danny Boyle.

:lol: :noteeth:

A.ANAND
4th December 2008, 03:57 PM
love to 'rinnga ringga'song!wooow!far better than original song :thumbsup:

baba88
4th December 2008, 11:00 PM
actually I think MIA and ARR composed O Saya together. She said that in an interview.

thamizhvaanan
4th December 2008, 11:18 PM
actually I think MIA and ARR composed O Saya together. She said that in an interview.

ARR himself said that MIA did the english verse part of the song. Rest of the song is definitely rahmanish :D

thineshan54321
5th December 2008, 12:45 AM

ARR himself said that MIA did the english verse part of the song. Rest of the song is definitely rahmanish :D

100% rahman sound. who else could replicate a train rhythm so well with so much precision yet so musically powerful and amazing. remember chaiyaa chaiyaa?

A.ANAND
5th December 2008, 06:39 AM
my rating

1. O... Saya - 5/5

2. Riots - A R Rahman - 5/5

3. Mausam & Escape - 5/5

4. Paper Planes - 4/5

5. Paper Planes DFA REMIX - 5/5

6. Ringa Ringa - A R Rahman featuring Alka Yagnik & Ila Arun -4/5

7. Liquid Dance - 5/5

8. Latika's Theme - 5/5

10. Millionaire - 4/5

11. Gangsta Blues - 4/5

12. Dreams on Fire - 5/5

13. Jai Ho - A R Rahman 4/5

sureshmehcnit
5th December 2008, 11:10 AM
http://backgroundscore.blogspot.com/2008/12/slumdog-millionaire-score.html

thamizhvaanan
5th December 2008, 11:24 AM

100% rahman sound. who else could replicate a train rhythm so well with so much precision yet so musically powerful and amazing. remember chaiyaa chaiyaa?

I was so thrilled to hear this first... Train rhythms, especially the exact sound that i used to enjoy whenever in a train... its brought out with such force and impact... splendid :notworthy:

lancelot
5th December 2008, 12:27 PM

I was so thrilled to hear this first... Train rhythms, especially the exact sound that i used to enjoy whenever in a train... its brought out with such force and impact... splendid :notworthy:

what an awesome song... ARR and MIA... an makes me so happy that MIA is a Sri Lankan... wait a go girl! :)
hehe

A.ANAND
5th December 2008, 05:07 PM
Slumdog Music review - this masterpiece proves that Rahman is an international phenomenon

http://www.avstv.com/reviews/review.php?r=slumdogmusic

Scale
6th December 2008, 12:02 AM
[tscii:7927108047]While drafting some random thoughts about SDM due to lack of information (2 remixes) found this full credit list <google rocks>

Tracklist

1. “O… Saya” - Performed by A R Rahman & M.I.A | Hindi Lyrics and Gibberish : A R Rahman | English Lyrics : M.I.A
2. “Riots”
3. “Mausam & Escape”
4. “Paper Planes” - Performed by M.I.A.
5. “Paper Planes - DFA REMIX " - Performed by M.I.A.
6. “”Ringa Ringa” featuring Alka Yagnik & Ila Arun | Lyrics : Raqib Aalam
7. “Liquid Dance” featuring Palakkad Sriram & Madhumitha
8. “Latika’s Theme” featuring Suzanne
9. “Aaj Ki Raat” Performed by Sonu Nigam, Mahalaxmi Lyer & Alisha Chinoi | Composed by Shankar Ehsan Loy | Lyrics : Javed Akhtar
10. “Millionaire” featuring Madhumitha
11. “Gangsta Blues” BlaaZe & Tanvi Shah | Lyrics : Blaaze
12. “Dreams on Fire” featuring Suzzanne | Lyrics : Blaaze and Wendy Parr
13. “Jai Ho” featuring Sukhvinder Singh, Tanvi Shah & Mahalaxmi Iyer | Hindi Lyrics : Gulzar | Spanish Lyrics : Tanvi Shah

All Songs Except Paper Planes,Paper Planes Remix and Aaj ki Raat are composed and Produced by AR Rahman | Published by KM Music | O.. Saya Published by KM Music and Imagem Music

Music Credits

Vocal Supervision on "Ringa Ringa" : VJ Srinivasamurthy

Rashid Ali on Guitar "Dream on Fire" and "Mausam and Escape"

Sanjay Joseph on Additional Guitar "Millionaire" and "Mausam and Escape"

Asad on Sitar "Mausam and Escape" :thumbsup:

Sound Engineers : PA Deepak | Vivianne Chaix | H Sridhar

Additional Programming : PA Deepak | TR Krishna Chetan | Hentry Kuruvila | Pravin Mani[/tscii:7927108047]

Scale
6th December 2008, 12:03 AM
Just some random thoughts,

O Sayya is 100% ARR's wizardly work. There are some brainy add-on effects flashed on MIA's part (2.03) the train sound "rhythm", Fem backup vocals, ARR's part (2.52 - 3.08). Thundering track (/BGM).

"Riots" drives you to a gruesome mood

Paper Planes : I love that chorus :firing: part :lol:

"Ringa Ringa" - Sounds as good as original by itself ( I may override) . Except the "chic..chic..(kuk kuk)" rhythm & hoi/hai sound nothing is silmilar. In the original its a duet by alka & ila arun whereas see how ARR's started alka's part "Chuva Chuva" innovatively (a redefinition), antras are also different. The flute & tabla usage in ARR version are pick shots. ARR shud had lots of fun in reworking it. Could have been 100 % original if used any other singers (by itself). Yet, Awe-inspiringly lively track. Thats why L-Pyarelal isnt credited like Aaj ki raat - SEL (Maha Iyer's recomm?) .

Scale
6th December 2008, 12:09 AM
[tscii:95a6103150]
1. “O… Saya” - Performed by A R Rahman & M.I.A | Hindi Lyrics and Gibberish : A R Rahman | English Lyrics : M.I.A

:rotfl:

vivianne chaix sakkarakatti taxi fame sound engineer :redjump:

I can hear lot of cellos in Mausam & Liquid Dance. Mr. Boyle kku thanni kattirukkaru ARR
[/tscii:95a6103150]

thineshan54321
6th December 2008, 04:19 AM
this soundtrack is beyond anything ive ever heard before. this is the rahman of the 90s. innovation at its max yet musically entertaining to the max. early in the decade, people kinda didnt like Rahman's music because although innovative, didnt carry that entertainment factor. this year we saw rahman do just that and SDM is the ultimate example of the Rahman of the 90s.

lancelot
6th December 2008, 04:36 AM
Slumdog Wins First Major Award

The National Board of Review, which launches the movie awards season each year, named Fox Searchlight's Slumdog Millionaire best film of the year Thursday. The Danny Boyle film, about a poor boy, played by newcomer Dev Patel, who emerges from the slums of Mumbai to become wealthy, thanks to India's version of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, is regarded as a top contender in the Oscar derby. Patel also won for best breakthrough performance by an actor. Boyle, however, was passed over for the best director award, which went to David Fincher for his The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Clint Eastwood took the best actor award for his performance in Gran Torino, and Anne Hathaway, the best actress award for Rachel Getting Married. The National Board of Review is composed of film historians, students and academics. Its awards will be presented in New York on January 14.

ajaybaskar
6th December 2008, 10:42 AM
Yesterday there was a spl programme on SDM on Times Now. They interviewed some americans who watched the film. Most of them said that the film had great music. Hearing that I had goosebumps all over my body.
:clap:

The film's indian release is scheduled for 23/01/2009.

:redjump: :bluejump: :redjump: :bluejump: :redjump: :bluejump:

MADDY
6th December 2008, 11:03 AM
Yesterday there was a spl programme on SDM on Times Now. They interviewed some americans who watched the film. Most of them said that the film had great music. Hearing that I had goosebumps all over my body.

for this film, shall we plan for a thalaivar cutout outside sathyam? :)

ajaybaskar
6th December 2008, 11:08 AM

Panniduvom.... :D

A.ANAND
6th December 2008, 12:11 PM

Panniduvom.... :D

vazhtukkal :2thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup:

littlemaster1982
6th December 2008, 04:52 PM

FDFS :redjump: :redjump:

:ty: Ajay for bringing this great news :D

Ramakrishna
6th December 2008, 05:02 PM

Perfect Timing :notworthy:

dinesh2002
6th December 2008, 05:40 PM

Wow...this is great enough... this movie is now bringing ARR into Hollywood now.... i mean really, a true entry into Hollywood.... :)

lancelot
6th December 2008, 06:33 PM

Wow...this is great enough... this movie is now bringing ARR into Hollywood now.... i mean really, a true entry into Hollywood.... :)

ammaa Joly!!! (is that the expression) hehe :bluejump:
hehe

A.ANAND
6th December 2008, 07:40 PM
[tscii:cc05b70077]Rousing rhythm

Sandhya Iyer
Saturday, December 06th, 2008 AT 2:12 PM
Tags: Slumdog Millionaire
Close...

Slumdog Millionaire boasts of one standout track from A R Rahman, Jai Ho while most of the other tracks are simply background scores that would have to be enjoyed with the film.

This film by Danny Boyle is already making waves internationally and is all set to be a frontrunner at the Oscars this year. Another reason for some of the hype it is garnering is on account of A R Rahman’s music who incidentally has had a prolific year with four releases already this year. Not all of the 13 (yes there are that many!) tracks are great but in the framework of the film, they promise to pack a punch.

Slumdog Millionaire’s standout song is undoubtedly Jai Ho, a rousing melody, in Sukhwinder Singh’s striking voice. The opening background music (BGM) with its middle-eastern strings instantly leads you to believe that you’re in for something special. The track’s high-pitched tone (and Singh scales these ‘highs with silken smooth ease) against a profusion of beats makes this an instant chartbuster. Every time the opening line, ‘Jai Ho’ is sung, it leaves a stirring impact and one can only imagine what an important moment this could be for the film.

The next striking song here is Ringa Ringa, where Rahman does his own version of the raunchy Choli Ke Peeche to a heady effect. One senses the music composer’s attempt to weave in a certain ‘Mumbaiya’ feel to the album to go with the theme of the film. Alka Yagnik and Ila Arun get together again to serve a suitably generic and massy number.

These are really the only two major songs, if you leave out an English number called Dreams On Fire - soothing but very standard stuff.

Keeping with the international nature of the film, the album brims with several interesting situational music pieces. While Latika’s Theme is a soft, humming piece from Suzanne D. Mello, Millionaire is a faced-paced track with an on-the-run feel. O Saya has A R Rahman’s voice interspersed with the rapacious sounds of a running train. He goes into vigorous, fusion music with Liquid Dance and Mausam And Escape. The latter one — with its santoor and sitar strings — has a distinct classical flavour and one expects this to be very effective along with the film. There’s also Don’s scintillating Aaj Ki Raat included without any changes.

International track Paper Planes doesn’t click. But the opening of its remix version is stunner. The rest is just about passable. In any case, as we said, not all these tracks are exceptional enough to be stand alone ones. Riots and Gangsta Blues you wouldn’t be revisiting much, unless they make an impression in the film.

To sum up, there is one great track — Jai Ho. As for the rest — enjoy it with the film.

http://www.sakaaltimes.com/2008/12/06142310/Rousing-rhythm.html

[/tscii:cc05b70077]

Scale
7th December 2008, 11:02 PM
Gangsta Blues: Gethu Hip hop. Blaaze & Tanvi Shah thats a deadly combo I starve for Rap/Hiphop/Jazz genre. I would like to hear more from Tanvi Shah, She have also done the spanish lyrics of Jai Ho! :D

Am i Ye? Am I Yo? Am I great? Am I good? - Next Signature :

Music4Ever
8th December 2008, 12:01 AM
Quite frankly, what is it in Jai Ho that Rahman has not given before? Take a bit of Ella pugazhum oruvan oruvanukke, add Jai ho to that (first by the singer and then some computer generated sound), throw in some percussion from Azeem O Shaan Shahenshah, add the usual chorus, and chip in with some old MSV stuff (will be supplied only for those who are famiiar with music from the seventies onwards). You get Jai Ho. Why hype it so much? For guys who have not heard the Rahman sound before, it would be enjoyable of course. I will have Sakkarakatti and Ghajini.

SoftSword
8th December 2008, 12:28 PM

i watched only the last 15 min.. :(

Yathu
8th December 2008, 05:04 PM
Quite frankly, what is it in Jai Ho that Rahman has not given before? Why hype it so much? For guys who have not heard the Rahman sound before, it would be enjoyable of course. I will have Sakkarakatti and Ghajini.

You partly answered your own question

You can't expect every one of his compositions to be brand new and full of innovation can you? (esp with the number of projects hes doing...but thats a different matter. He never compromises on quality does he?) This song is probably what the situation needed, judging by the rave reviews people unfamiliar with ARRs music are giving it. Therefore, it fulfills its purpose.

Take a bit of Ella pugazhum oruvan oruvanukke, add Jai ho to that (first by the singer and then some computer generated sound), throw in some percussion from Azeem O Shaan Shahenshah, add the usual chorus, and chip in with some old MSV stuff (will be supplied only for those who are famiiar with music from the seventies onwards). You get Jai Ho.

I seriously doubt this is how he went about composing this song. (or ANY song for that matter) :roll:

Can you really imagine ARRs thought process goin in such a way:

ARR: I know what i'll do today, I'll just throw in some funky "computer generated sound". Oooo and then some those drums from JA, they sounded GRAND, mix it with the usual ooohing and aaahing and finally add some MSV to give it the classical, evergreen touch. Yes, thats what the audience need. :2thumbsup: This albums going to be great.

A_Ajith
8th December 2008, 06:03 PM
JAI HO :

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=ejKfQpzIdIY

littlemaster1982
9th December 2008, 11:21 PM
[tscii:7e484d9612]A pulsating score from A.R. Rahman drives the underdog film, with help from M.I.A. (http://www.film.com/movies/slumdog-millionaire/story/the-music-of-slumdog-millionaire/24756658)

The film Slumdog Millionaire is a frenetic portrait of Mumbai, a gritty fairytale of beating the odds and standing firm in the face of adversity, and propelling it forward is the pulsating score by A.R. Rahman. In the wake of the recent tragedy in Mumbai, the film -- and its soundtrack -- becomes even more visceral than the ebullient depiction of the Indian city.

To be honest, I had just started to write something about the soundtrack last week when the news of the terrorist attack came, and I couldn't help wondering if this tragedy would now be linked to the film, for good and for bad. Hearing M.I.A. singing, "Some some some I some I murder, some I some I let go" in the song "Paper Airplanes" while watching the news unfold can steer one's thoughts in the oddest of directions. That song of course has made her a star, and one of the drawbacks of her higher profile is that it has also made her a target. This summer M.I.A. had to release a statement disclaiming accusations that she supports terrorism, a rumored link she's repeatedly had to dispel thanks to both her estranged father's participation in the Sri Lankan terrorist outfit LTTE and her arguable glamorization of their cause. Of course, M.I.A. is no terrorist, she just has a natural fascination with the cause, having grown up with it. (Critic Robert Christgau wrote a great piece on this struggle nearly four years ago, and it holds up especially well.)

"Paper Airplanes," of course, got its second life this past summer thanks to being featured in the trailer for Pineapple Express, but it should be pointed out that Slumdog had it first, and that once you see the song used in the film, it will cease to be "that song from that stoner comedy trailer." Director Danny Boyle always had that song in mind for the film, but for the score, he had his sights set on White Stripes' Jack Black. Thankfully, the prospect of Black taking a year off to write music in India was a bit of a pipe dream, and Boyle settled on the "Mozart of Madras," Bollywood legend A.R. Rahman.

For those not familiar with Bollywood, A.R. Rahman is like Michael Jackson and John Williams all rolled into one -- king of both pop and score. At only 42, Rahman is the 8th best-selling music artist of all-time, and with a long career still ahead of him he will undoubtably work his way further up the list. Boyle let Rahman loose, asking that he create something with a pulsating rhythm and that he resist sentiment. As Boyle has been retelling it at post-screening Q&A's across the country, "I told him, 'Never put a cello in my film!'" implying his need to keep the film clear of too much melodrama. (This, along with a sort of nostalgic look at growing up in a shantytown, is what makes the film a bit more like its Brazilian doppelgänger, City of God.)

The result is an intoxicating mix of old and new India, juxtaposing classic Indian instrumentation with big beats and hip-hop synth sounds (hear "Mausam & Escape"). Early in the film, it's his collaboration with M.I.A., "O Saya," that truly sucks you in, sweeping you into the gritty shantytowns of Mumbai. Rahman also mixes in some popular Bollywood cues, giving the fans of the genre some of extra thrills. The song "Ringa Ringa" that plays as Latika dances is actually a reworking of the popular Bollywood song "Choli ke peeche" from the film Khalnayak (1993). Rahman even utilized the same voice talent, Alka Yagnik and Ila Arun, who sang the original chart-topping version. Meanwhile, for a gangster-related scene Rahman borrows the Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy song "Aaj Ki Raat" from the recent Bollywood gangster film Don: The Chase Begins Again (see video of original use).

The final song in the film (and on the soundtrack) is "Jai Ho," which, along with the cast's dancing, has the distinction of keeping the audience in their seats through the credits. It's an explosion of joy that the film and audience feel like they've earned, witnessing all that Jamal has triumphed over. Whether or not the film is married to tragedy remains to be seen (it's still playing on less than 50 screens), but the ending goes a long way towards distancing itself in spirit from the evil the city just endured.[/tscii:7e484d9612]

littlemaster1982
9th December 2008, 11:24 PM
Just now listened to Mausam & Escape. What a track!!!! :notworthy: :notworthy:

littlemaster1982
9th December 2008, 11:45 PM
[tscii:11ad81dec7]Mini-Review: Slumdog Millionaire Soundtrack (http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/11/26/mini-review-slumdog-millionaire-soundtrack/)

by David Chen

Right from the chase scene near the beginning of Slumdog Millionaire, I knew that this was a movie whose soundtrack I was going to have to own. The music actually got better as the film went along, from the love theme all the way to the final triumphant Bollywood dance number.

The soundtrack for Slumdog Millionaire was finally released on iTunes yesterday, but the CD won’t be out until December 23rd. You can click here to buy it from iTunes but I chose not to exercise this option for two reasons: 1) The quality of songs from iTunes isn’t up to par with that of a CD, and 2) The songs are still locked down by restrictive DRM. But with my overwhelming desire to listen to the soundtrack, a desire which has dogged me ever since I first left my screening of the film, what was I to do?

Turns out, it was Rhapsody that came to the rescue! For those who aren’t familiar with Rhapsody’s service, they offer you the opportunity to listen to 25 free tracks per month (the service is ad-supported). While they usually don’t have a lot of music I want, they happened to have this soundtrack, so for those of you who want to listen to the entire soundtrack legally and completely free of charge (assuming you haven’t already used up your 25 free tracks this month), just click here. Note that the last track, “Jai Ho,” is only available for purchase.

My initial thoughts on the soundtrack: As with most soundtracks, the music loses some impact without the images and sounds that accompany them on screen, and this is especially true here. The imagery of Slumdog Millionaire is so dynamic and colorful that it’s hard for them not to be intertwined with the musical motifs and vocals. That being said, I still love this collection of songs, most of which were composed by the monstrously popular A.R. Rahmam. In the end, though, I think I like it more for the memories it brings up of the movie rather than as an independent work of art in and of itself. That’s just a personal feeling though; this soundtrack is certainly worth a listen for anyone with even a casual interest in the genre.

Some highlights:
» The opening track “O… Saya” has a spectacular, expansive vocal track that evokes the scenic vistas of India that Boyle sprinkles liberally throughout Slumdog.

» “Mausam & Escape” is percussive and bold, effectively capturing the urgency of Jamal and Salim as they flee for their lives.

» “Ringa Ringa” is a catchy tune that drips with exoticism.

» “Latika’s Theme” is brief but beautiful. To this day, I still get a bit weepy when I hear this track, so effective it is at evoking the intimate moments from the film.

» “Jai Ho,” the music that accompanies the final dance sequence, is still as exuberant in audio form as it was on screen.

» If you’re a fan of M.I.A., “Paper Planes” is here, along with an entertaining remix.[/tscii:11ad81dec7]

littlemaster1982
9th December 2008, 11:49 PM
Some of the comments from the above link...

Todd Fields

I went to raphsody to listen the paper planes Remix version. I was thinking the entire Soundtrack done by MIA, couldn't believe she had a collobaration with Rahman indi musician, Just thought of giving a try and ended up completing all my 25 free usage tracks. unbelivable I haven't come across this kind of sound before. I do remeber the days where I enjoyed listening michael jackson overwhelmed, really i felt the same feeling after hearing this soundtrack. Personally I love Dark Knight but slumdog soundtracks is totally different and it's keep growing when I listen each time. Best Sound of the Year. My personal soundtracks are "Mausam & escape", "Lathika's Theme", "Liquid Dance", "Dreams of Fire", "O Saya".

Marco

I've been listening to the soundtrack since it was released yesterday and track #3 is my favorite. It's got a very rapid and cinematic feel. :)

rehos

Does anyone know when the soundtrack is being released in Sweden? Been checking a lot of times but it's hasen't been released in the Swedish section of the iTunes Store, only in the US.

littlemaster1982
10th December 2008, 12:11 AM
Another raving review (http://www.planetbollywood.com/displayReview.php?id=m120408114234)

Mumbai, India 11/26/2008 – The bustling city of twenty million was brutally shattered by an unprecedented string of highly-sophisticated and coordinated attacks never witnessed before. The horror continues fifty-five hours later, as I painstakingly write these very words.

During these moments of such deep sorrow and tragedy, writing on a film may seem rather frivolous…even insensitive. However, God works in mysterious and miraculous ways my friends.

Rarely, if ever, does the Western world catch a glimpse into the beauty and majesty of such a dynamic city as Mumbai. Yet, today, her innocence has been ravaged and raped, left to bleed in front of the entire world. A hostage within her own land, her booming image will vanish within the minds of many internationals worldwide.

However, like a godsend in the nick of time, Danny Boyle brings the Western world a cinematic marvel that places Mumbai right back in the centre of attention…but for all the right reasons this time. Simon Beautoy’s script, based on Vikas Swarup’s novel, “Q&A,” touches on the life of Jamal Malik (Dev Patel), an impoverished orphan raised in the slums of Mumbai, who unexpectedly reaches the Rs. 20 Million question on India’s version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. Accused of cheating, he defends himself against the authorities by narrating his life on the streets - a sequence of mesmerizing tales which hold the key to all his right answers.

Through Anthony Dod Mantel’s exquisite cinematography, Beaufoy’s beautifully orchestrated script, and Boyle’s breath-taking execution, SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE pays homage to Mumbai – The resilient city of unwavering spirit and unbridled passion. She is the city of dreams…

Many of the few who have been fortunate enough to view this film will tell you that in addition to the cinematic landscapes, the film’s background score and OST are equally important in the its attempt to open your eyes and ears to a whole new world. The living masterpiece behind the music is the legendary A.R. Rahman, India’s most treasured and prized composer.

The gentleman is having himself a year that even the greatest musicians could only dream of. After taking India’s domestic market by storm with five critically acclaimed soundtracks, he pours the icing on the cake with an International project set to light the global stage on fire (many are already handing the Oscar over to the team of Slumdog Millionaire). All hype aside, the soundtrack is an absolute explosion of genres, cultures, and sounds. Rahman’s sound, coupled with Boyle’s vision, sculpts a gorgeous three-dimensional statue of one of the most underrated cities in the world…and one kid’s struggle to survive it…

We’ll first have a listen to the four original songs, followed by analysis of the six thematic/instrumental pieces.

Rahman lifts off with O…Saya, a song that is, much like the rest of the soundtrack, an electrifying detonation of sound and style. Filled with some riveting electronic tones, Rahman ups the tempo with a breath-taking drumming performance that features throughout the backdrops of this flashy and rhythmic track. Perhaps the most attractive aspect of this number is the international collaboration between A.R. Rahman and M.I.A., both of whom are featured vocalists. Lyrically, the song doesn’t hold much scope. Verdict: It is the composition’s raw attitude and thumping grooves that will absolutely light your body on fire!

Ah…as if out of nowhere, Rahman throws in a little cultural flavor into this otherwise progressive soundtrack with some traditional Indian film sounds in Ringa Ringa. Bringing a slight touch of familiarity to his Indian listeners, the track bears resemblance to the early 90s cult-classic “Choli Ke Peeche Kya Hai.” Despite the nostalgia of many of the styles and sounds of the 90s, Rahman infuses the number with a sultry blend of old and new elements, couples it with an alluring melody, and ultimately creates a unique sound that is both traditional and progressive simultaneously. Alka Yagnik, one of India’s most prolific and seasoned playback vocalists, does complete justice to her role as one of Rahman’s favorites. Raqib Alam’s lyrics culminate the musical trinity of Ringa Ringa with class. Verdict: This song is sure to add a splash of color to Boyle’s ambitious portrait.

“You are my waking dream. You’re all that’s real to me. You are the magic in the world I see. You are my prayer I sing. You brought me to my knees. You are the faith that made me believe. Dreams on fire...higher and higher. Passions burning…right on the pyre…” – Blaaze and Wendy Parr

Rahman begins to show us his sensitively beautiful side in the absolutely gorgeous Dreams On Fire. Rendered with exquisite passion by Suzanne D’Mello, your heart skips a beat as your soul is captivated by the inspiring melody amidst the softly lit acoustic ambiance. The vocal layering is another example of where this song soars in creative ingenuity. And just like all the other pieces of Slumdog Millionaire, Rahman has provided a steady blend of east and west – a phenomenon that gives the music its universal textures and borderless emotions. However, the true splendor of this composition would have gone unrealized if it were not for the awe-inspiring lyrics by Blaaze and Wendy Parr, whose words rewrite the very essence of romance. Verdict: Rarely do we earn the opportunity to experience such purity in music…rarely…

Just like that, Rahman re-invites sheer power, brute force, and pure energy into the soundtrack with Jai Ho. An out-and-out dance track, Jai Ho passes with flying colors thanks to the breezy melodic riffs and trans-genre feel in the arrangements, enabling the song to take you wherever you want it to! Interestingly enough, the song has Latin traces throughout as well. Leading the charge is another Rahman favorite, Sukhwinder Singh, who always seems to shine in such exhilarating environments. Mahalaxmi Iyer and Tanvi Shah provide Sukhi with perfect backing support. Lyricist Gulzar, India’s legendary and revered poet/lyricist, writes on ambition, passion, and victory in the most poetic of ways. Verdict: Another vibrant composition that is sure to blow the roof off cinema halls.

Riots marks the beginning of a series of powerful and vigorous thematic pieces by Rahman. While the piece is fairly short, it packs a mighty punch. Rahman, amidst the electronic sounds and synth-ambiance, seems to have been inspired by many of the tribal sounds of Africa. Once again, Rahman tames a composition to liquefy cultural sounds to create the voice of Slumdog Millionaire.

Mausam & Escape is the best thematic instrumental on the lot! Rahman simply shows off as programmer. He synthesizes a mesmerizingly wicked aura of sound that explodes all over you! The piece opens up on an extremely serene note, courtesy Rashid Ali and Sanjay Joseph’s enticing play of the guitars, before we are completely engulfed by a musical explosion! Be it the heart-pounding bass lines, Asad’s ridiculously thrilling sitar plucks, the soul-thumping synths, or the haunting orchestral strings…Rahman’s genius is sculpted into a musical monument that will set screens ablaze!

What you hear in Liquid Dance is a masterful blend that you’ve never heard before, and most probably will never hear again. Apart from using some very cool new sounds and effects, Rahman once again blends east and west, as he superimposes a pair of synthesized sargams (Indian classical vocals), courtesy Palakkad Sriram and Madhumitha, atop an electronically programmed hip-hop rhythm. Trust me, it’s hard to classify a sound that has never existed before! Adding to the flair, Rahman’s orchestral strings give the piece a hauntingly unique signature. It’s yet another phenomenal piece of work from the genius of Rahman.

Latika’s Theme, in essence, is the instrumental of the very soulful “Dreams On Fire.” However, Rahman realizes that the beauty of the original song lies within the melodic power and vocal gentleness. Hence, the only possible way to fully harness the beauty of the original is not through instrumental rendition, rather by asking Suzanne D’Mello, the original singer, to simply hum the entire melody. And although the original song was lifted furthermore by Blaaze and Wendy Parr’s inspiring words, this silent version creates its own inspiring poetry, uninhibited by the boundaries of language. Ultimately, it is the sweetest of musical fragrances.

Millionaire is perhaps the one and only track that sounds conventional in its production and overall treatment. It is another fast-tempo background piece filled with thumps of bass and panning synths. However, this piece doesn’t allow for much creative interjection. In any other Background OST, this piece would have been extremely well received, but not here, where Rahman has taken Slumdog Millionaire to ridiculously high levels.

We’ve heard Rahman try his hand at almost every genre in existence, including many that aren’t. Yet, I don’t think we would ever predict Rahman to tackle a Gangsta Rap track – but he does just that and so much more with Gangsta Blues. Rahman lays the cement with a Techno-esque hip-hop rhythm, while also adding some Jazz elements, including some Blues organ sounds. With a bad boy attitude all laid out for him in the arrangements, Blaaze struts his stuff with a relaxed reggae ‘n’ rap rendition alongside Tanvi Shah. So let’s count it up, we have a little Techno, some Hip Hop, a splash of Jazz, a hint of Reggae, and a shade of Rap…the end result of which is pure entertainment and attitude. How do you do it Rahman?

SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE’S background OST is a brilliant landscape of cultural textures, global sounds, and cross-genre transformations. Rahman’s musical voice for the film is one that screams volumes on screen and entertains wildly in audio.

A.R. Rahman has just ended a year for the ages. It is safe to say that this score will go down as one of his greatest works ever, and by far his most satisfying international project. If you ask me, Rahman is leaps and bounds ahead of his competition for Oscar honors. Some call him God. Others call him a Musical Prophet. Regardless of what you believe, this masterpiece proves that Rahman is an international phenomenon producing music at a level higher than anybody else right now. Listen to him…

thamizhvaanan
10th December 2008, 08:10 AM
LM, all these articles have been already posted in the forum and I had quoted the same user comments :shock:

littlemaster1982
10th December 2008, 08:28 AM
Already posted :shock: I didn't seem to remember :oops:

sureshmehcnit
10th December 2008, 09:49 AM
Rahman wins his First Award for Slumdog Millionaire Score (not the song but the entire score) beating Thomas Newman and Alexandre Desplat

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i4bd301b9abd26e41d3054d9e881ef91e

viraajan
10th December 2008, 09:55 AM
Rahman wins his First Award for Slumdog Millionaire Score (not the song but the entire score) beating Thomas Newman and Alexandre Desplat

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i4bd301b9abd26e41d3054d9e881ef91e

:clap: :clap: :boo: :boo: :redjump: :bluejump: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: :smokesmirk: :swinghead: :victory:

sureshmehcnit
10th December 2008, 10:45 AM
And gets 2 nominations in 14th Annual Critics Choice awards

http://news.sawf.org/Bollywood/55212.aspx

directhit
10th December 2008, 10:50 AM

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i4bd301b9abd26e41d3054d9e881ef91e :bluejump: :redjump: :boo: :clap: :notworthy: :swinghead: :smokesmirk: :smokesmirk: :victory: :yes: :exactly: :cool2: :2thumbsup: :bluejump: :redjump: :boo: :clap: :notworthy: :swinghead: :smokesmirk: :smokesmirk: :victory: :yes: :exactly: :cool2: :2thumbsup:

Hub needs more emoticons :evil:

directhit
10th December 2008, 10:51 AM
And gets 2 nominations in 14th Annual Critics Choice awards

http://news.sawf.org/Bollywood/55212.aspx :boo: :boo: :thumbsup:

All the best and he should win this too 8-) 8-) 8-)