PDA

View Full Version : THE REVIEW SYSTEM !!!!

karthik_sa2
9th August 2008, 05:56 PM
will this new review sytem prevail...??? :roll: guys jus give'n ur thoughts on the new review system that has been brought out in this india srilanka test series...

IMO i don go for it??? i feel its an embarassement to the the standing umpires out there...every decision by them when it gets reversed will only dent their confidence further and what if the three chancess of review is over...over that time we have to completely depend on the standing umpires anyways....and the real charm of cricket is gone...the virtual eye or the technology may not be always right as well as to predict where the ball will exactly head to...the third umpires r also human...they might as well be wrong in their decisions just the way with the case of samarweera not out decision today ... what do u guys think...am sure most of the batsmen will survive with this new system comin in but will those two standing umpires survive ever ???r we losing the real charm of cricket????

P_R
9th August 2008, 11:12 PM
Stupid system.

To expand the scope of decisions for which the umpires can use technology is different. Just like run-outs/stmpings umpires should be given the "option" of consulting the TV umpire for other dismissals like lbw, caught behind etc. That is not what this system does.

I have a conservative annoyance regarding encouraging further disrespect of umpires, which is what this one does. Further widens the umpire-player gap. And it is farcical in defintion too.

Was chatting with a friend of mine about this, the following came up:

Suppose the fielding team appeals and is turned down.
If the fielding captain still has unused reviews but chooses not to use them. That means that he did not believe his original appeal was a good one. So his appeal was made with wilful dishonesty with an intention to mislead the umpire. He should be fined if not banned for this misconduct !

hamid
10th August 2008, 10:36 AM
I feel this is a good system and needs to be analyzed and fine tuned.

how many times some stupid decisions have changed the course of the match. The basic reason for the need of this review system is there are a lot of wrong decisions given nowadays( remember symonds innings?) and this review system can avoid most of those wrong decisions..

is there a report which says the no of decisions made on reviews and how many of them are wrong/right?

karthik_sa2
10th August 2008, 10:22 PM
If the fielding captain still has unused reviews but chooses not to use them. That means that he did not believe his original appeal was a good one. So his appeal was made with wilful dishonesty with an intention to mislead the umpire. He should be fined if not banned for this misconduct !

absolutely!!!!one more thing if ppl are talking about correct and fair decisions y only three reviews...does that mean other than three decisions rest of the decisions can be incorrect or unfair???the very motive behind bringing a review system is gone there itself...

Ramakrishna
10th August 2008, 10:28 PM

absolutely!!!!one more thing if ppl are talking about correct and fair decisions y only three reviews...does that mean other than three decisions rest of the decisions can be incorrect or unfair???the very motive behind bringing a review system is gone there itself...

quite true...
Actually the fielding teams use the reviews as a part of their strategy

karthik_sa2
10th August 2008, 10:52 PM
feel this is a good system and needs to be analyzed and fine tuned.

how many times some stupid decisions have changed the course of the match. The basic reason for the need of this review system is there are a lot of wrong decisions given nowadays( remember symonds innings?) and this review system can avoid most of those wrong decisions..

is there a report which says the no of decisions made on reviews and how many of them are wrong/right

yes i agree there are lots of stupid decisions coming in these days but i feel only the umpires have to be reviewd :lol: and not the lbw catch appeals...
good unbiased efficient umpires have to be selected and encouraged .... this is the best possible way to preserve the real game of cricket. yes there might be unfair decisions but thats the way cricket has been played for a long time... if technology can be brought in for everything we can very well have programmed machines playing in the field...probably we can have a mtach between inidan machine and pakistan machine n decide the winner based on their efficiencies..well this might be the futur of cricket :lol:

littlemaster1982
10th August 2008, 11:02 PM
Sometime back there was a huge hue and cry for not using technology while giving important decisions. Now I don't understand the 360 degree turn.

IMO, the system needs to be refined so that there is a balance between the technology used and on the spot decisions.

ajithfederer
11th August 2008, 12:12 AM
Too early to say something :P

P_R
11th August 2008, 06:30 AM
I am very much for the usage of technology. I don't think the charm of the game is in constraining ourselves to the umpire's falliability. The game should evolve and in these ages of close encounters it make perfect sense to go techie for better decisions.

But the rview system is poor in that technology is positioned as an adversary to the umpire. This encourages disrespecting the umpire and his decision in a game which has very little sporting spirit left.

It should be left to the umpire to make use of technology to make better decisions whenever he thinks it necessary.

littlemaster1982
11th August 2008, 06:42 AM
I am very much for the usage of technology. I don't think the charm of the game is in constraining ourselves to the umpire's falliability. The game should evolve and in these ages of close encounters it make perfect sense to go techie for better decisions.

But the rview system is poor in that technology is positioned as an adversary to the umpire. This encourages disrespecting the umpire and his decision in a game which has very little sporting spirit left.

It should be left to the umpire to make use of technology to make better decisions whenever he thinks it necessary.

:exactly:

Sanguine Sridhar
11th August 2008, 10:26 AM
[tscii:d33c3c0114]This review system is not a bad one, though I get disappointed when it is against India, which is normal! Umpires can take this as a challenge and be more attentive, conscious before giving the decisions. This system also acts as a tool to measure the umpiring capabilities. For example Benson, most of his decisions turned red by this review system and I guess to avoid the shame he dismissed Samaraweera’s wicket though review says Out! ICC can identify these umpires and chuck them out of umpiring.[/tscii:d33c3c0114]

directhit
11th August 2008, 10:33 AM
[tscii:28319b9f22]This review system is not a bad one, though I get disappointed when it is against India, which is normal! Umpires can take this as a challenge and be more attentive, conscious before giving the decisions. This system also acts as a tool to measure the umpiring capabilities. For example Benson, most of his decisions turned red by this review system and I guess to avoid the shame he dismissed Samaraweera’s wicket though review says Out! ICC can identify these umpires and chuck them out of umpiring.[/tscii:28319b9f22] very true - and in time i guess the players would have a knowledge of which umpire to take review against or not :P

but i want the snicko and other technology available to be used as well :oops: otherwise its of no use!

hamid
11th August 2008, 11:21 AM
[tscii:5cb895d325]Umpires can take this as a challenge and be more attentive, conscious before giving the decisions. This system also acts as a tool to measure the umpiring capabilities. For example Benson, most of his decisions turned red by this review system and I guess to avoid the shame he dismissed Samaraweera’s wicket though review says Out! ICC can identify these umpires and chuck them out of umpiring.[/tscii:5cb895d325]

thats a very good point.

very true - and in time i guess the players would have a knowledge of which umpire to take review against or not :P

but i want the snicko and other technology available to be used as well :oops: otherwise its of no use!

Oops.. snicko is not used?? i didnt know tht.. for sure that also should be used.

mgb
11th August 2008, 11:37 AM
[tscii:872e13ed4d]This review system is not a bad one, though I get disappointed when it is against India, which is normal! Umpires can take this as a challenge and be more attentive, conscious before giving the decisions. This system also acts as a tool to measure the umpiring capabilities. For example Benson, most of his decisions turned red by this review system and I guess to avoid the shame he dismissed Samaraweera’s wicket though review says Out! ICC can identify these umpires and chuck them out of umpiring.[/tscii:872e13ed4d]I think this very same umpire stood in the controversial sydney test. Action was taken on Steve Bucknor but not on Mark Benson :x

karthik_sa2
11th August 2008, 12:42 PM
am happy waqar is thinking just the way i do on review system...he has exactly given the same thoghts :) " its only a sport y bring in technology"

Sanguine Sridhar
11th August 2008, 01:46 PM
am happy waqar is thinking just the way i do on review system...he has exactly given the same thoghts :) " its only a sport y bring in technology"

ahha?! Cricket is no more a gentleman's game, it has become a passion for many of us, Mr.Waqar from Pakistan knows that as well! :twisted:

wrap07
11th August 2008, 01:57 PM
This review sytems seems to have taken the charm of the game in one go. Umpires may be treated like damp squib though some of them deserve that. There could be some system for choosing the umpires and they could be monitored on their performance also. We had Dickey Bird, Venkatragavan as also Steve Bucknor. Still there could be some errors from best of umpires but then it is a sport and it cannot become mechanical. The system has to be defined in a better manner with what to review and what not.

sriranga
11th August 2008, 09:19 PM

I have no problems with the review system.
The review system will reduce bad umpiring decisions which is a good thing and captain asking for review should not be seen as disrespecting the umpiring decisions.

the fallout is marginal lbw decisions which usually go in favour of the batsman now will go against the batsman after review.

The other thing is lot of time is also wasted.

To counter this, they should award a penalty in terms of runs (maybe, 10 extras) to the opponent if the review turns negative.

The number of appeals (excessive appealing) also seem to have come down during this series.

when you use technology to decide a four, why not use it for deciding out/not out.

P_R
12th August 2008, 09:53 AM
when you use technology to decide a four, why not use it for deciding out/not out.

Exactly. Just use technology in the same manner.

Roshan
12th August 2008, 11:28 AM

:D

sriranga
12th August 2008, 12:01 PM

Athaan problem-e.

Umpires started depending on technology even for easy runout/stumping decisions which takes a lot of time.
Now, they will choose the easy route to decide on lbws as well.

for umpires like bucknor, it would be better to go for tv replay immediately, cos its saves a lot of time. :wink:

mgb
12th August 2008, 12:03 PM
It is a matter of players and umpires getting used to the review system. Adhukku apram indha system'a eppadi tackle panradhunu, aussies will find a way out and all other countries will follow the suit.

wrap07
12th August 2008, 02:14 PM
It is a matter of players and umpires getting used to the review system. Adhukku apram indha system'a eppadi tackle panradhunu, aussies will find a way out and all other countries will follow the suit.

:) they are masters in this. No system can bend them.

karthik_sa2
12th August 2008, 07:43 PM

apporam edhuku dhaan andha 2 standing umpires...aerkanavae they look like jokers

hamid
13th August 2008, 11:19 AM
ICC panel to assess umpire review system

Taufel will represent the umpires' views on the system and also present the feedback of the umpires who were involved with the implementing it in Sri Lanka, including Rudi Koertzen, Mark Benson and Billy Doctrove. May will present the views of cricketers worldwide on the system and Madugalle will bring in a match official's perspective

good move.. :cool2:

http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/current/story/364827.html

hamid
13th August 2008, 11:20 AM
Review System details.

http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/story/362178.html

sriranga
13th August 2008, 11:39 AM

apporam edhuku dhaan andha 2 standing umpires...aerkanavae they look like jokers

umpires are human and they make mistakes, nobody disagrees with it.
The review system will address those mistakes.

Players would think twice to ask for a review if the decision comes from good umpires like simon taufel.

Don't you think india wud've saved the sydney test had the review system been in place?

karthik_sa2
13th August 2008, 07:00 PM
umpires are human and they make mistakes, nobody disagrees with it.
The review system will address those mistakes.

Players would think twice to ask for a review if the decision comes from good umpires like simon taufel.

Don't you think india wud've saved the sydney test had the review system been in place?

am sure its gonna embarrass taufel too cos even a minute thing can be noted in tv replays from different angles with the review system whcih would result in reversal of even taufel's decisions....

karthik_sa2
13th August 2008, 07:11 PM
The total time elapsed between the ball becoming dead and the review request being made should be no more than a few seconds. If the umpires believe that a request has not been made sufficiently promptly, they may at their discretion decline to review the decision.

evalo seconds :?: thats very important...it cannot be something like few seconds'

P_R
13th August 2008, 07:37 PM
Challenging umpires on field....what next ? Remonstrations against decisions will be permissible - in these days of intense competition, one has to be realistic about talented players getting emotional. Nevertheless ICC will introduce a clause to reign in the remonstrations by yellow and red card systems akin to popular sports like football. Hopefully this will help popularize the sport in Latin America. Fortunately (or unfortunately) it will still get to be called cricket.

"Gentleman's game. eh ? In which century are you ?"
"Down with colonial elitism. Let us roll up our sleeves and play it with our heart"

P_R
28th August 2008, 07:03 PM
"Cricket ought to initially clean its own backyard and then strive to secure a place in the Olympics. I consider it miserable that the decisions of the authorities are questioned. I'm totally against the referral system and Twenty20 cannot be a part of the Olympics as the referral system is against the spirit of the Games."
John Buchanan makes his views regarding the new review system crystal clear

Aug 27, 2008

sooperappu :clap:

P_R
28th August 2008, 07:04 PM
Ain't I prophetic ? (http://www.cricketnext.com/news/red-and-yellow-cards-in-cricket/33773-13.html)
:-) :banghead:

wrap07
28th August 2008, 09:54 PM
:) so called gentlemen game is taking quite a direction.