PDA

View Full Version : News and Discussions on Mohan

sarna_blr
8th August 2008, 09:37 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohan_(actor)

Mohan was called in the industry as the 'silver jubilee hero' in 1980s for almost all movies featuring the actor witnessed a fantastic run. He holds the record in the industry for giving 25 silver jubilee hits, a feat not matched by many industry greats. However, Mohan disappeared from the filmdom following a series of flops.

Although his debut was "kokila", a kannada film directed by veteran Balu Mahendra, his first tamil appearance was Moodu Pani (a guest role). This was followed by Nenjathai Killaadhey, a masterpiece of director Mahendran, which started the short yet a full scale peak career of Mohan, which lasted almost 8 years. Nenjathai Killaadhey ran for a year and won best cinematography national award for Balu Mahendra, after which his films began to be either silver jubilee or over 200 days most of the time.

He was best known for his stage singer roles and people had a general thought he was not versatile. At the peak of his career he was not afraid to take up challenging negative roles in films like Nooravadhu Naal and Vidhi (both were block busters in 1984) and comedies like Sahadevan Mahadevan and Rettai Vaal Kuruvi (likewise block busters).

Mohan was a major role in the lifetime of production company Motherland Pictures and its producer Kovaithambi. Mouna Ragam is most likely his best performance which won National Award for Best Tamil Film and started the career of now famous director Mani Ratnam.

Almost all his film were good musical albums (thanks to Maestro Ilayaraja), which feature songs that are still remembered after 25 years. Yester year star Mohan is still talked about everytime a conversation springs up for 80s films or Ilayaraja's songs.

He tried hard to stage a comeback by producing, directing besides playing the lead role in a movie titled Anbulla Kadhalukku. Unfortunately his bad luck continued and the movie disappeared from the box office without any trace. He took a new avatar as the producer of tele-serials and managed successfully to come out with a serial in a prominent Tamil satellite channel Sun TV. Now his comeback film "Sutta Pazham" in which he is playing the role of a mansion owner has already crossed a successful one month and has become a low budgeted success story. 2-3 films are in the pipeline for Mohan and the best bet among them is the film he comes as Villian.

Silver Jubilee Hits
1) Nenjathai Killadhey (365 days)
2) Kilinjalgal (over 250 days)
3) Payanangal Mudivathillai (over 500 days)
4) Gopurangal Saivathillai (over 200 days)
5) Naan Paadum Paadal (over 200 days)
6) Ilamai Kaalangal (over 200 days)
7) Manaivi Solley Manthiram (175 days)
8) Saranaalayam (175 days)
9) Vidhi (175 days)
10) Unnai Naan Sandhithen (175 days)
11) Osai (175 days)
12) Vengayin Mainthan (175 days)
13) Nooravadhu Naal (over 200 days)
14) Udhaya Geetham (over 200 days)
15) Idaya Kovil (over 200 days) upon its second release totals 200 days
16) Thendrale Ennai Thodu (over 250 days)
17) Pillai Nila (over 200 days)
18) Kunguma Chimizh (175 days)
19) Mella Thirandhathu Kadhavu (over 200 days) in Colombo
20) Uyire Unakkaaga (175 days)
21) Mouna Ragam (over 250 days)
22) December Pookkal (175 days)
23) Rettai Vaal Kuruvi (175 days)
24) Theerthakaraiyinile (175 days)
25) Sahadevan Mahadevan (175 days)

Filmography
Nenchathai Killathe (1980)
Kilinjalgal (1981)
Ponmudy (1982)
Kadhoduthan Naan Pesuven (1982)
Kadavulukku Oor Kadidham (1982)
Idho Varukiren (1982)
Kathalithupaar (1982)
Theeratha Vilayattu Pillai (1982)
Payanangal Mudivadhillai (1982)
Lottery Ticket (1982)
Chinnan Chirusugal (1982)
Gopurangal Saayvathillai (1982)
Jothi (1983)
Nenjamellam Neeye (1983)
Andha Silanatkal (1983)
Manaivi Solle Mandiram (1983)
Naalu Perukku Nandri (1983)
Saranalayam (1983)
Thungatha Kannendru Ondru (1983)
Ilamai Kaalangal (1983)
Oh Mane Mane (1984)
Anbe Odivaa (1984)
Nirabarathi (1984)
Nenjathai Allitha (1984)
Nalam Nalamariya Aaval (1984)
Magudi (1984)
Vidhi (1984)
Vai Pandhal (1984)
Ambigai Neril Vandhal (1984)
24 Mani Neram (1984)
Shanthi Muhurtham (1984)
Osai (1984)
Rusi (1984)
Sattathai Thiruthungal (1984)
Naan Paadum Paadal (1984)
Nooravathu Naal (1984)
Panam Pathum Seiyum (1985)
Anbin Mugavari (1985)
Annee (1985)
Deiva Piravi (1985)
Naan Ungal Rasigan (1985)
Unakkaga Oru Roja (1985)
Thendraley Ennai Thodu (1985)
Kunguma Chimizh (1985)
Idaya Kovil (1985)
Udaya Geetham (1985)
December Pookkal (1986)
Paru Paru Pattanam Paru (1986)
Uyire Unakkaka (1986)
Unnai Ondru Ketpen (1986)
Mouna Ragam (1986)
Mella Thiranthathu Kadhavu (1986)
Ayiram Pookkal Malarattum (1986)
Paadu Nilave (1987)
Ore Ratham (1987)
Neram Nallarukku (1987)
Theertha Karayinile (1987)
Rettaivaal Kuruvi (1987)
Ananda Aradhanai (1987)
Sahadevan Mahadevan (1988)
Vasanthi (1988)
Paasa Mazhai (1989)
Manidhan Marivittan (1989)
Thalaivanukkor Thalaivi (1989)
Idhaya Dheepam (1989)
Jagadala Prathapan (1990)
Valiba Vilayattu (1990)
Uruvam (1991)
Kattu Gudhirai (1999)
Anbulla Kadhalukku (1999)
Suttapazham (2008)

sarna_blr
8th August 2008, 09:51 AM
-Reserved-

sarna_blr
8th August 2008, 09:51 AM
-Reserved-

sarna_blr
8th August 2008, 10:16 AM
I can't say any actor's name, but I can say IR was the only MD and the reason for a few actors' silver jubliee films.

I agree :D

sarna_blr
8th August 2008, 11:11 AM
[tscii:d7ab5247a2] Anoops and Yoga :oops: :oops:

http://www.indiaprwire.com/pressrelease/radio/2008071611167.htm

Hello FM launches the audio album for Actor Mohan's film 'Suttapazham'

Hello FM, the largest radio network from the stables of Malar Publications, today served as the forum for the audio launch of Actor Mohan‘s new film “Suttapazham”.

Commenting on this event, Mr. Rajeev Nambiar, President and Chief Operating Officer - Hello FM said that, “An audio launch in an FM station is an innovative approach that will reach out and impact music lovers directly without any intermediaries. This is the first ever event be held in the Hello FM premises that would also set a trend for film producers. It highlights the fact that Hello FM is constantly innovating and experimenting with new show formats that would give as much value addition to our listeners apart from a good collection of wonderful music.”

It was well-attended by Actors Mohan, Shaam, M.S.Bhaskar, Director G.K., Music duo SriSam, Lyricist Snehan. The first copy of the audio was given by Actors Shaam and Vimala Raman and received by Mr. Rajeev Nambiar – President and Chief Operating Officer, Hello FM. The event was held amidst much cheer and enthusiasm by the film’s crew and the entire team at Hello FM.

The film has 5 lilting songs – ‘Thaen Mazhai’ - an introduction song, ‘Suttapazham’ - a theme song, ‘Kuliradikkudhae’- an exotic song, ‘Azhagu Azhagu’ - a group song and ‘Uyirilae Uyirilae’ - a romantic song.

Actor Mohan has a reputation of providing some of the best everlasting melodies & memorable hits in the Tamil film industry. After a hiatus of over a decade, this is the first movie appearance of Actor Mohan. He is paired with Subhapunja, who is being introduced to the Tamil audience through this movie.[/tscii:d7ab5247a2]

sarna_blr
8th August 2008, 11:22 AM
[tscii:29fdca2442] http://www.kollywoodtoday.com/news/suttapazhams-audio-launch/

Suttapazhams audio launch in an FM station is an innovative approach that will reach out and impact music lovers directly without any intermediaries. This is the first ever event be held in the Hello FM premises that would also set a trend for film producers. The music launch was attended by actors Mohan, Shaam, M S Bhaskar, director GK, music director Sri Sam and lyricist Snehan.

The film will see the return of Mohan after a lull of almost a decade. He is paired opposite Subhapunja, who is being introduced to the Tamil film industry through this movie. The film has five songs namely Thaen Mazhai, Suttapazham, Kuliradikkudhae, Azhagu Azhagu and Uyirilae Uyirilae. About 60 meter-long scenes were chopped off by the Censor Board and the film has been awarded with an A Certificate.[/tscii:29fdca2442]

sarna_blr
8th August 2008, 11:22 AM
http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news-1/july-08-03/suttapazham-15-07-08.html

After a long sabbatical, Mohan is back into action with Suttapazham, which is touted to be a thriller. He has Suba Punja as his arm candy in this film. Speaking about Suttapazham, its director Kamaraj said that about 60 meter-long scenes were chopped off by the Censor Board and the film has been awarded with an A Certificate. Apparently, Suttapazham, which is a venture by Kamaraj's home production Pintex Films, had a few sizzling scenes that did not escape the eyes of the censor officials. Disclosing more about the film, Kamaraj said that Mohan would seem like a womanizer to the police and others but his true identity would be revealed only at the end. Suttapazham is slated to hit the theatres on July 18th.

groucho070
8th August 2008, 04:00 PM
Poor Mohan, people have forgotten him.

I rate him as a decent actor, and wished he had not disappeared in the nineties, which led way to some of the worst performers in this hemisphere.

If only he had stuck to his own voice from the beginning. We all know his performance in Mouna Ragam. Yes, MR gets credit for it, but at least he didn't do that I-got-constipation-and-have-to-spit-this-line-out acting the lesser actors gave later in MR's films.

I wish Mohan the best and at times like this, you better come out with quality stuff (which I doubt).

sarna_blr
8th August 2008, 05:29 PM
:ty: groucho brother,

Atlast I found one person to appreciate the TALENT :D

Tamil peoples are not so DUMB to appreciate Talentless people 8-)

Shakthiprabha.
10th August 2008, 05:59 PM
Some of the better movies of "mike" Mohan - Nooravadhu naal, mouna ragam (he was actually good in this film, doing his role to perfection) - of course, 'Mike' Mohan benefitted a lot from IR's phenomenal output!
IR had a special choice of tunes for his movies!

I dont see why some hubbers are passing sarcastic/caustic remarks about starting a thread! those hubbers' respective stars/heroes have given dozens of B, C grade masala movies (by artistic standards) as well which went on to become commercial hits! many of these films were/are embarassing to watch for anyone with a decent sense of aesthetics

Well said!

Yup he was affectionately referred as 'mike mohan', IF I remember right, there was a thread created few years before on mohan :?

Almost lot of his movies were decent hits because of songs and realisitic stories/screen play.

His laudable performance includes

Nenjathai kiLLathE
Mouna Raagam
Nooravathu naaL
PayanangaL mudivathillai
Ithayak kovil
GopurangaL saayvathillai

Movies like,

Rettai vaal kuruvi
udhaya geetham
pillai nila
uyire unakaaga
Thendrale ennaith thodu

are some movies which were good hits! Songs featured in most of his movies, added to his victory ofcourse!

Movies like

vidhi,
magudi,
kilinjalgal
had awesome songs too!

DEFINITELY he deserves a thread ( I think we did have one before) and Sarcastic comments for someone who fared well, in his golden period is not in good taste. Very sad indeed!

Atleast heroes of those days performed realistic roles, rather than many these days who try sick punch dialogues even before they could climb steps in stardom.

Shakthiprabha.
10th August 2008, 06:16 PM
Atleast heroes of those days performed realistic roles, rather than many these days who try sick punch dialogues even before they could climb steps in stardom.

IMO, the most interesting thing about Mike Mohan was the absolute lack of hype surrounding his career unlike some stars who live on sheer hype than substance!

YES! He did not over do his stardom, just did justice to his roles.

add to 'sick punch dialgoues', lame dumb statements in public about their arrival/non-arrival into politics to create extra hype and take our junta for a nice ride!

They were just roles, and did nothing more to him as a person.
A TRUE PROFESSIONALIST who took his profession as NOTHING MORE than just a profession, and well done in that.

I probably wont be exaggerating, if I say, he was one of most accepted hero than Suresh, Sudhakar, murali or anyone else during his period of time, other than may be karthik who was a heart throb of young women!

irir123
10th August 2008, 06:20 PM
digression:

about karthik - he could have become another classy actor worth remembering for decades - he had the talent, but let it all decline by doing one slapstick (sick) comedy after the other

end digression

RC
10th August 2008, 11:04 PM
I hope Sutta pazham revive's Moha's career. I too thought this movie was out the week after Kuselan and was searching for reviews. I dont think its released yet.

Mohan was one of the actor you liked no matter what. He was one of the boldest actors of his time by trying out negative roles too.

Sarna: Ramaraajan kUda mEdhai-nu oru padaththula nadikkiradhA news vandhuchchE...oru thread start pannunga. Seriously! I'm not joking, though I'm sure many would think so.

sarna_blr
11th August 2008, 10:02 AM
I hope Sutta pazham revive's Moha's career. I too thought this movie was out the week after Kuselan and was searching for reviews. I dont think its released yet.

Mohan was one of the actor you liked no matter what. He was one of the boldest actors of his time by trying out negative roles too. .

I have seen Mohan movies only in TV's :) but I liked him a lot :D and as I saw his trailer in Kalaignar TV, i was rushed to the Hub for opening a thread to him.... and I am 100 % that this movie not yet released :) (prove me If I am wrong) ... release aagaadha padangala oru silar B-grade movie'nu solradhu sariyaa padala--- Kalaignar TV trailor'la U/A nu certificate solludhu... but online'la A'nu solludhu :? :roll:

Sarna: Ramaraajan kUda mEdhai-nu oru padaththula nadikkiradhA news vandhuchchE...oru thread start pannunga. Seriously! I'm not joking, though I'm sure many would think so.

Padaththula Super market irukkura Hero irundhaa pOdhum..... padaththula Heroine aragoraya dress pOttuttu ulaaththinaalum, comedy'ngra pEr'la vulgarism neraya irundhaalum, eventhough the film is supposed to be rated as B-grade movie..... andha padaththukku thread Open pannaa yaarum kandukka maattaanga :lol:

aana Market illaadha herovaa irundhaa... :oops: :oops:

-deleted-

raaja_rasigan
11th August 2008, 11:43 AM
I feel sorry for Mohan, after Anbulla kadhalukku, he once again tries to make a comeback as a hero in Suttapazham.

He could be a good villain similar to Nooravathu naal instead of acting as a hero that too in these kind of movies (I too saw a still of Subha punja some weeks before in AV)

rangan_08
11th August 2008, 12:02 PM
I feel sorry for Mohan, after Anbulla kadhalukku, he once again tries to make a comeback as a hero in Suttapazham.

This is a major set-back with most of our heroes. Some 2 weeks back Mohan featured in a live chat programme called Bru Stars ungaludan, in Jaya TV. Poor guy. If he really needs a re-entry, he should come out with a good script that gives ample scope to the character, leaving besides all those hero material crap. Else, it should be through a big director like Mani, Shankar etc films.

Shakthiprabha.
11th August 2008, 12:06 PM
Rangan is right.

I personally feel, re-entry for any big stars should be in supportive roles :? Else chances are, that their talent goes unrecognised. Esp when the generation is a fresh, half of whom dont know or remmeber or care for any comeback of stars leave alone big stars.

Wish he had not burnt badly to learn bitter lessons :?

NOV
11th August 2008, 12:08 PM
http://entertainment.oneindia.in/movie_listings/Chennai+Tamil.html

Suttapazham played in five screens - all single shows, all in the mornings 8-)

Nerd
12th August 2008, 07:52 PM
The thread looks so much better now.
I feel mohan was very good (and perhaps underrated) in comedy :2thumbsup:
1. kiLinjalgaL
2. Paadu nilaavE
3. gOpurangaL saaivathillai
4. sahAdEvan mahAdEvan
5. payaNangaL mudivathillai

Favorite performances
1. nenjathai kiLLAthE - His best
2. mouna raagam
3. vidhi
4. 100th day

Raghu
12th August 2008, 08:21 PM
now, it makes sense, I liked his acting in

1) Mouna Raagam- But Karthick steals the show, oh man, how I loved the film!!!

2) Mella thiranthathu kathavu - Ok actings , but the songs make up the rest

Thirumaran
13th August 2008, 10:26 AM
Pazhaya thread la irunthu split panna 2 page thaan varuthu :oops:

Incidently i am listening to Vaa Vennilaa from Mella thirnthathu Katahavu :2thumbsup:

sarna_blr
13th August 2008, 10:30 AM
Really thanks a lot TM anna :bow: Atlast atleast u understood my feelings :bow: :bow:

Unforgettable Mouna raagam

There are some movies which remain etched in your thoughts not because they dazzle you with wizardry but because they make their presence felt in a quiet manner. Mounaragam fits into the second category. This Maniratnam charmer deals with marriage and its strengths from a modern perspective.

It marked a fresh look at the institution by portraying the hero, Chandru as willing to let go his wife, Divya, who cannot forget her dead lover(Karthik). In the traditional family, girls have no choice to air their likes and have to live with the man they are forced to marry. Divya’s plight was no different and yet Chandru had the fine sensibility to accept her past romance. He says that he is interested only in the future and not her past. This line of thinking was new to Tamil cinema. But, Divya was a sentimental woman and could not cut herself from the past. Thus, the difficulties that women face in broken relationships were underlined in a subtle manner.

The film captures the one-year period that they spend together. The tender moments and the gentle flow of life were marked well. Ilayaraja’s music was captivating and all the songs were hits. The melodrama element is brought in through the incident in which Chandru is beat up by disgruntled elements from his workplace. The pain felt by Divya and her efforts to help in his recovery change her perception of marriage. She becomes emotionally attached to him. The film ends with the message that marriage is successful only as long as the partners are emotionally bound to each other. The physical element is secondary.

In today's world, where youngsters have more freedom to choose their life partners, Mounaragam may seem anachronistic. Yet, it is a film to be watched to understand the nuances of a good and lasting marriage

Thirumaran
13th August 2008, 10:34 AM
Really thanks a lot TM anna :bow: Atlast atleast u understood my feelings :bow: :bow:

athae maathiri enga ellaaroada feeling purinjittu unnoada intha avatar kku bathilaa shreya avatar vachiddu paarkalaam :oops2: :ashamed:

Raghu
13th August 2008, 01:46 PM
Pazhaya thread la irunthu split panna 2 page thaan varuthu :oops:

Incidently i am listening to Vaa Vennilaa from Mella thirnthathu Katahavu :2thumbsup:

athu namMa thalaivar padinathella , :P

Raghu
13th August 2008, 01:50 PM

athae maathiri enga ellaaroada feeling purinjittu unnoada intha avatar kku bathilaa shreya avatar vachiddu paarkalaam :oops2: :ashamed: :? :confused2: