PDA

View Full Version : Can Ponni Boiled Rice be used to make idli / dosa batter?

ABCD
6th January 2005, 10:08 AM
I bought a bag of Ponni Boiled Rice by mistake (instead of Ponni Idli rice) and even opened the bag. Can I use Ponni Boiled rice to make a common batter (in an Ultra wet grinder) for both idli and dosa ? If so, please let me know the ratio of boiled rice / urad daal.

Also, what is the difference between Ponni boiled rice and Ponni Idli rice?

Thank you very much.

R
6th January 2005, 03:06 PM
I dont know the difference between boiled rice and idly rice, but, have been using ponni boiled rice for a long time to make idlis. The idlis are really soft and fluffy just like we get in our home town.

Ratio is rice:dal=4:1 with fenugreek seed 1 tbsp.

Yes, u can use for both idly and dosa with this batter. You can even make other dosas like Mrs.Mano's aval dosa etc. from this rice, u will get a good result.

Bye.

Kz
6th January 2005, 07:15 PM
Idly rice is parboiled rice.
Kz

kittykat
6th January 2005, 07:49 PM
I use the same! the ratio for idli is 4:1 as usual, 4 cups rice and 1 cup urid dhal. Turns out good for me.

kitty

ABCD
6th January 2005, 09:48 PM
Normally, what is the Boiled Rice used for? What is the Parboiled Rice used for?

Kz
6th January 2005, 11:45 PM
Parboiled rice is pulungal arisi which is used for idly, arisi uppuma
Parboiled rice: rice undergoes the process of soaking, pressure steaming and drying prior to milling. The rice is usually slightly yellowish. it retains lots of minerals and vitamins. normal boiled rice is used for eating but some people do eat raw rice, pacharisi. it is considered that boiled rice is better than raw rice for eating. both the rice looks different too.
Kz

hemakk
11th January 2005, 10:58 PM
hay! anybody know make the chili idli or fried idli