PDA

View Full Version : Best song of Ilaiyaraja album - Panneer Pushpangal

Sanjeevi
23rd July 2008, 09:08 PM
Dear IR Fans,

I think it will give offer to know about music, unknown/unfamiliar songs, ragas, lude details, singers/actors/technicians/event related to a particular song by discussing which is best of an album. I want to take an album per week and we will discuss/argue and even make sweet quarrel :) . There are polls to vote for your fav song and each will stay here for one week.

Let us select best song of Panneer Pushbangal first :D

common guys, vote for a song and give the reason in detail :smile2: and :yakyak: is mandatory :)

To listen PP songs except Vengayam

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/tamil/s/movie_name.5115/

or

http://www.dishant.com/album/Panneer-Pushpangal.html

app_engine
23rd July 2008, 09:44 PM
vengaya sambar gets eliminated - easy decision as that was supposedly inspired from some western number and not so impressive as well.

Very tough to choose among the remaining three.

kOdaikAlakkAtRE goes next because of MV, who is not my #1 preferred singer, especially for songs like this. So, despite the brilliant bass guitar work (IR plays a bass guitar melody through out) and classic interludes, this song does not make it. Also, the percussion arrangement in the saraNam portion is so-so.

By similar reckoning, UR cannot score over SPB-SJ, my top fav pair. No doubt Anandha rAgam is a better melody, great string arrangements, thuLLal through out etc but UR brings down the grade a little bit.

poonthaLirAdA - AhAh! what a song...ippOdhum repeat mode'il kEttukkoNdE irukkalAm, any number of times. When SPB sings SJ hums in (and vice versa) in a manner that brings such ecstasy that cannot be expressed!

Add to the lead guitar work, children-like chorus, simple jazz/conga drum work (another IR signature arrangement that lasted till 'kaNNA unaiththEdukiREn vA') & flute-string accompaniment - we have a winner in "poonthaLirAda"!

tvsankar
23rd July 2008, 09:46 PM
sanjeevi,
reason vera enna
IR oda Violin, guitar etc...............
including chorus..........
IR in chorus - always haunting me..........
Singing style - Nichayam something special in this song from SPB and SJ.

app_engine
23rd July 2008, 09:58 PM
Interestingly, though I've voted for "poonthaLirAda" in this album, if someone asks me to pick some of the best songs of IR - it may not make it while 'Anandha rAgham' will:-)
Reason? It's so unique and possibly one-of-a-kind that has to be placed in IR's hall of fame:-)) Another couple of songs that come to mind are 'madai thiRanthu' and 'pon mAlaippozhudhu' both rarities and will make it to the best ever songs of IR but when considered only at the album level will have to fight with 'poongathavE'.

Sanjeevi
23rd July 2008, 09:58 PM
:ty:

superb info app_engine, usha shankar (neenga entha paatunu sollavae illaiyae, ofcourse I know it is Poonthalir)

app_engine
23rd July 2008, 10:01 PM
hmmm, on a second thought, 'poongathavE' will also make it to the top-most songs of IR:-) I won't place 'poo malarndhida nadamidum' or similar later numbers at par with it. It's definitely one of a kind!

app_engine
23rd July 2008, 10:06 PM
The uniqueness of 'Anandha rAgam' may be the reason it found a place in IR's JayaTV concert.

I think that concert (and a few that followed) showed, at least in part, IR's personal preferences. (Notwithstanding the stage-sharing with singers who may want to sing their top-hit, current popularity level and other politics which could have influenced choice of many numbers - IMO, ONOK numbers didn't deserve inclusion there - may be to prove 'andRum indRum endRum').

Anandha rAgam is ENDRUM category!

Sanjeevi, oru chinna suggestion - why don't you also post MIO or similar links?

Sanjeevi
23rd July 2008, 10:12 PM
yeah we can eliminate easily 'Vengaya sambar' even before first round. Even many of IR fans don't know about that song.

For me from first round to final round, the other three songs will be present. I can't ignore anyone since they are melting melodies at any time. :yes:

But when coming to elect, we have to select one candidate, enna seyya :sad:. Though very very tough competition, here I go with "Koodaikala Katre" :notworthy: because when I heard first time this song "Oru inam puriyatha paravasam ennil" :) . This song is something special to me.

MV :thumbsup: singing, the chorus "la la la", the superb interludes, the pleasing saranam and the situation & motive of the song, etc.

Sanjeevi
23rd July 2008, 10:17 PM
IMO, ONOK numbers didn't deserve inclusion there - may be to prove 'andRum indRum endRum').

Shreya Goshal kovichunga poranga :lol:

Sanjeevi, oru chinna suggestion - why don't you also post MIO or similar links?

:goodidea:

Sanjeevi
23rd July 2008, 10:22 PM
Who are the third person who voted for Poonthalir song :roll:

crajkumar_be
23rd July 2008, 10:28 PM
Sanjeevi,
arumayaana thread :thumbsup:

IMO, it's a photo-finish between Aanandha Ragam and Poondhalir Aada.. more later..

Sanjeevi
23rd July 2008, 10:32 PM
Sanjeevi,
arumayaana thread :thumbsup:

IMO, it's a photo-finish between Aanandha Ragam and Poondhalir Aada.. more later..

:ty:

Ellarum Koodaikala katre song underrate pannuranga :evil:. Where is MrJudge?

app_engine
23rd July 2008, 10:33 PM
This song is something special to me.

"suit case" vAngittu vote pOttutteenga:-)

crajkumar_be
23rd July 2008, 10:35 PM
Kodaikkaala Kaatre is a gem IMO...
What a prelude :notworthy: And bass lines kekkave vendaam...

M.V ku enna korachal app_engine? :twisted:

Sanjeevi
23rd July 2008, 10:38 PM
This song is something special to me.

"suit case" vAngittu vote pOttutteenga:-)

en peyarula kooda MP ngura rendeluthu illaiyae :wink:

Seems like Poonthalir Aada will win with interlude majority

crazy
23rd July 2008, 11:00 PM
poonthalir aada :thumbsup:

app_engine
23rd July 2008, 11:17 PM

Viewed alone, MV'kku oru korachchalum illai:-) He has sung 100's of my fav songs and if I pick the best of IR that list must include 'vetti vEru vAsam' and 'poongAtru thirumbumA'.

Excellent pronunciation, ganeerkkural, ability to evoke rustic feeling, adopting to most genres - no wonder he was a mainstay for IR during his glorious days!

Viewed alone, kOdaikAlakkAtRE is still my fav song and I can listen to that any # of times.

Still, when comparison - voting etc comes in, others tend to weigh more for me.

IMO, SPB is more versatile with boyish voice. MV is versatile but definitely not boyish. His voice is manly, no doubt, but won't reach the levels of TMS on that account. MV can sing soft numbers but can't do 100% justice like, say KJY or PJ (both would have been terrific for the song in discussion) as some roughness is felt in his voice.

mudhal mariyAdhai voting'kku varappO, kaNdippA 'vetti vEru vAsam' will get my vote:-)

app_engine
23rd July 2008, 11:29 PM
crajkumar_be,

It's very difficult to be 100% objective in music for me. There'll always be some bias:-)

For e.g., though it may sound funny, in SKV, for me 'katta vaNdi' by MV scores over the regular version of iLamai idhO idhO (my top pick will be the vocal-less track version of iLamai, though). Very difficult to explain some choices:-)

Nerd
23rd July 2008, 11:49 PM
Excellent thread :clap:

My favorite - aanandha raagam!
1. You can listen to it at ANY time, any mood
2. The prelude will feature in my top 10 list. The marriage of violin and flute - No words
3. God-level singing. This is not an easy song to sing, has got lots of ups and downs, tempo changes, sangathis they call it I think!
4. On a side note, I think almost all the Uma RamaNan songs are hits!

Btw, sanjeevi how will you change the poll options for the next movie :?

Sanjeevi
23rd July 2008, 11:57 PM
Thanks Nerd

I will post the result of each poll at the first post of this thread and will delete the old one and create a new poll.

app_engine and other mods, there is any other way?

app_engine
24th July 2008, 12:06 AM
>>app_engine and other mods, there is any other way?<<

Not that I'm aware of.

Sanjeevi
24th July 2008, 12:10 AM
>>app_engine and other mods, there is any other way?<<

Not that I'm aware of.

anybody else :huh: who knows about phbBB forum's poll features

app_engine
24th July 2008, 12:10 AM
>>I think almost all the Uma RamaNan songs are hits!<<

The lady compere of the IR JayaTV show (comically) threw this fact as "UR is in the hit list" :-)

tvsankar
24th July 2008, 12:28 AM
Sanjeevi,
Yes. my pick is "Poondhalirada'
this beautiful tune always haunting me......

entertainment
24th July 2008, 03:35 AM
Though it was a touch call, I opt for Ananda Ragam than Poonthalir Ada. What a mindblowing Song!!! I also liked Uma Ramanan's voice. The Violin, Flute, Tabla, and what not.

Sanjeevi
24th July 2008, 02:43 PM
>>I think almost all the Uma RamaNan songs are hits!<<

What about Arun Mozhi?

............ expecting 25 votes atleast by end of the week

rajasaranam
24th July 2008, 05:11 PM
kodai Kaala kaatre :) Just love MVD and his casual singing which also has a great depth init.

crajkumar_be
24th July 2008, 05:27 PM

Viewed alone, MV'kku oru korachchalum illai:-)
Was just kidding :)

Anyway, IMO he was apt for the song.. (the only other singer i can think of for this song is of course Balu Sir)

crajkumar_be
24th July 2008, 05:31 PM
crajkumar_be,

It's very difficult to be 100% objective in music for me. There'll always be some bias:-)

For e.g., though it may sound funny, in SKV, for me 'katta vaNdi' by MV scores over the regular version of iLamai idhO idhO (my top pick will be the vocal-less track version of iLamai, though). Very difficult to explain some choices:-)
But, of course!
ellArukkumE appadithAnE... thanippatta viruppu veruppu dhAnE...

BTW, voted for "Anandha rAgam" - makkal inga erkanave sollirukkara mAdhiri, magnificent prelude with a cascade of cellos and violins, interludes, the tune and singing and above all the DEPTH
A small grouse though: If only the recording quality was better in those days....

Sureshs65
24th July 2008, 06:46 PM
Ananda Ragam for me for it is a wonderful way of presenting Simhendra Madhyamam in a film song. It will definitely be rated amongst the best of Illayaraja (if such a list can be made, that is :)

ananth222
24th July 2008, 08:12 PM
My vote goes to "Kodai kaala kaatre". Great prelude and arrangements in this song.. the counterpoint between lead vocal, chorus and bass in the lines "ivaigal ila maalai pookkale..." is just stunning! Just one reason I think this song is under-appreciated is cos for such a brilliant intro and pallavi, the interludes/charanam are not at the same level (though they are very good by themselves).
Another note - IR usually builds up his gem songs with BGM in the preceding 15mins in the movie (take "etho moham" or "bhoopaalam" or "paartha vizhi" for instance) - and he does that for "kodaikaala kaatre" too. So thats a word from IR himself that he thinks this song is special.

crajkumar_be
24th July 2008, 08:24 PM
the counterpoint between lead vocal, chorus and bass in the lines "ivaigal ila maalai pookkale..." is just stunning!
Ananth,
Correct me if i'm wrong, are you sure it's counterpoint and not harmony at this point?
(Can't listen to this song right now, just speaking from memory) - isn't it vocal, chorus and bass lines "singing" the same phrase in different pitches?

Just one reason I think this song is under-appreciated is cos for such a brilliant intro and pallavi, the interludes/charanam are not at the same level (though they are very good by themselves).

:exactly:

ananth222
24th July 2008, 08:46 PM
Correct me if i'm wrong, are you sure it's counterpoint and not harmony at this point?The lines are playing different notes (some notes overlap). the key is that the individual lines can stand as melodies by themselves, but come together in a nice way. I was listening to the song now and just noticed that even in the lines before (during "manam thedum suvai odu") there is a flute line in the background that could also be considered as a nice counterpoint. check out this link for a nice description: http://library.thinkquest.org/27110/periods/counterpoint.html
However, there are little bits of countrapunctal arrangements from IR here and there - I wish he would make another album like HTNI and handles it in longer tracks

crajkumar_be
24th July 2008, 08:58 PM
Oh, in the case of different notes being playes its counterpoint alright. Let me listen to it and check. Thanks Ananth!

Correct me if i'm wrong,
are you sure it's counterpoint and not harmony at this point?The lines are playing different notes (some notes overlap). the key is that the individual lines can stand as melodies by themselves, but come together in a nice way. I was listening to the song now and just noticed that even in the lines before (during "manam thedum suvai odu") there is a flute line in the background that could also be considered as a nice counterpoint. check out this link for a nice description: http://library.thinkquest.org/27110/periods/counterpoint.html
However, there are little bits of countrapunctal arrangements from IR here and there - I wish he would make another album like HTNI and handles it in longer tracks

Querida
25th July 2008, 12:27 AM
I felt compelled to vote even if i know nothing about the finer points of music/musical composition...

I voted for Poonthalir Aada...though it was difficult not also to choose Kodai Kalai Katre...you feel the breeze caress along with her whispery voice...but Ananda Raagam....forgive me but I often found it annoying and whiny...there is always that danger of a woman's rising range becoming screechy....

Another note - IR usually builds up his gem songs with BGM in the preceding 15mins in the movie (take "etho moham" or "bhoopaalam" or "paartha vizhi" for instance) - and he does that for "kodaikaala kaatre" too. So thats a word from IR himself that he thinks this song is special.

Yes! love that! :)

Sanjeevi
25th July 2008, 08:50 AM
"ivaigal ila maalai pookkale..." is just stunning!

Athey than :notworthy:

kalnayak
25th July 2008, 07:44 PM
I voted for "PoonthalirAda ...". Like others I too love the first 3 songs in the list, but 3rd ketkirappo ennamo pannum - prelude, interlude, postlude (? ethavathu irunatha) ellame manasukku pidichirukku.

app_engine
1st August 2008, 02:38 AM
Sanjeevi, aduththa album engE? (oru vAram Achchu):-)

Sanjeevi
1st August 2008, 02:54 PM
Thanks for remembering a_e :-)

Sanjeevi
1st August 2008, 02:57 PM
Well, now I do not want to close the poll at the same time we can start with another album :wink:

and hence a new visitor or new hubber or even a new born IR fan can vote :)

but still we use the peak poll period as first 7 days

Shankar
1st August 2008, 03:00 PM
>>>>>
<<<<<

ayyo...indha line varumbOdhellAm program paNNi vechA mAdhiri enakku kaNNeer varum...idhayellAm objective-aa analyze paNNa mudiyAdhu :-)

ananth222
1st August 2008, 09:36 PM
>>>>>
<<<<<

ayyo...indha line varumbOdhellAm program paNNi vechA mAdhiri enakku kaNNeer varum...idhayellAm objective-aa analyze paNNa mudiyAdhu :-)
reminds me of an interview IR gave on BBC, he says "oru paravai eppadi parakkiratho... oru paravi parappathu ovvoru thadavaiyum vithyaasamaanathu... paravai parakkaratha vanthu picturize pannittu, ovvoru frame'a draw pannittu pottu paatheengana parakkara kaatchi vanthuvidum. ovvoru frame'um mechanical procedure'than... mechchaaanical procedure.. aana, parava parappathu appadiya? ovvoru vaatiyum vera madiri irukkum... padapada'nnu adikuthu.. thideernu ippidi poguthu.. andha nigazhvu irukkavendum.. andha nigazhvu enbathuthaan "music should happen"

anyway, there is also a beauty and joy in analyzing these things (for mere mortals, after they happen!)

thumburu
19th September 2008, 05:55 PM
I had voted for "poonthaLirada", eventhough "Anandha ragam" comes a very close second. "PoonthaLir" depicts that first , innocent love with a dewy freshness and with SPB/SJ [immortal pair IMO] what else can you expect but a celebration of that youth. The chorus and interludes simply transport me to the hills . Ananda Viketan glorified "Anandha ragam's Simhendramadhyam ragam juxtaposed with wcm ambience. Even " vengaya sambarum" got popular among hostel students of the yore. Surprisingly "Kalki" gave a scathing review for the movie and regarding music all it said was the usage of cliched words like "ragam/thalam megam dhagam" was sounding so boring !!! For once , I decided to give its review a go-by and enjoy the sheer musical marvel

kingvj
20th September 2008, 08:09 AM
My vote would go for "aanandha raagam" for its sheer complexity, peach-of-an-instrumentation, high-octave singing...and...the violins...oh my ..oh my... !! that will be one hell of a song that it would be hard for even IR to recreate in any of his stage shows...! One of the grandest compositions of IR.. IMO...! :-)

thriinone
4th June 2009, 12:28 PM
Lovely threads! I am an ilaiyaraja fan, surprising enough for my daughters and the generation gap.

Let us analyse the songs:

aanandha raagam : by uma ramaNan and deepan. Lilting background score, awesome lyrics! "kaLLamindri uLLangaL thuLLi ezha..." I can relate these lines to flowing water, which slows and mellows down a bit on planes... :clap: Nasal voice of uma innocently places itself in our hearts :clap:

2. "Kodai kaala kaatre" Western touch , takes this bit to a diff plane. Reminds me of carols in church. I didn't however like the "lala" chorus! Etho oru 'ache' indha pattu kiLappuvathu uNmai.
Malaysia vasudevan, strains himself to fit in melody and did succeed :)

3. Background score is not innovative. Ive heard raja with similar tune in many other songs. Reminds me of so many 80s songs. Chorus again is repetitively and typcally raja. There's something romantic about the song, and SPB's playful lover tone lifts it up so high we forget all other handicaps.

Now that all songs are ready to be evaluated, I pick "kodai kaala kaatre" for the invisible throb it gifts me. My vote has already been cast. I am sure it would have gone to "kodai kaala katre"

viraajan
4th June 2009, 12:31 PM
Aanandha Ragam :clap: :bow:

One of my alltime fav!!