PDA

View Full Version : Prabhu Ganesan - Charismatic, Affable and Underrated.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

karthik_sa2
8th November 2005, 10:44 PM
[tscii]

Tamizh film industry is going through an interesting phase. While the big two stars are doing bigger glossy pictures, attention seems so be also in smaller scare flicks and many young directors and stars are emerging and are garnering deserving respects in their own field.

Rajini and Kamal, correct me if I am wrong, are bigger in terms of fan following now than was MGR and my beloved NT. The latter two legends fandom was torn by fractions, backed by political or religious belief. It is not so with Kamal and Rajini, their fans overlap each other.

And speaking of fans, there can only be one actor, though these are not hardcore fans, can comman fans that encompasses fans of any heroes, of past, present and possibly, future. It is non others than Prabhu Ganesan.

[html:f189d2457f]
http://www.hindu.com/fr/2005/01/28/images/2005012801380603.jpg
[/html:f189d2457f]

I have contributed mildly to threads involving the younger heroes. I have visited and made contributions to Sathyaraj as and when I can. But there were nothing for Prabhu? Why? No thanks to the huge Himalayan shadow cast by his dad, this true talent did not received the adulation he should.

Well, he did at one point. At late eighties and early nineties, Karthik, Sathyaraj and Prabhu did fine, had many fans, most of them who are also the fans of the big two. And I was one of them.

My love for Prabhu’s talent came before I really began to appreciate NT’s. He was there, and I was growing up in the eighties. NT was neglected, because under the influence of my dad and my aunt (his sister) I came under MGR’s spell. And I recall reading - during first or second anniversary of MGR’s passing on - that Prabhu was a closet fan of MGR’s. That must have influenced my liking for him.

Then, few of his films warmed my heart, particularly his partnership with Rajini (the hilarious Guru Sishyan and delightfully masalaic Tharmattin Talaivan), Kamal (A good Bourne Identity remake, Vetri Vizha), Karthik (notorious cheap flicks in the early eighties and then, Agni Natchatiram) and, of course, the one and only Sathyaraj (Chinnathambi Periyathambi, Palaivana Rojakkal).

In short, he is an able actor, able to blend in any genre flick, and star with any big stars, bigger, or peer in status, with no difficulty at all. His appearance towards the end of Anjali was god send for me, when I was getting supremely annoyed by the obvious darkness of Mani’s flick, and constipation-reflex acting that Mani encourages his lesser experienced actor.

When Prabhu appeared in the Tamil Film scene in 1982, in Sangili with his father, he was 26 years old. In the film, his performance was much more matured, and in fact, he inherited his father’s mature looks. He had hardly aged much since then. Under his dad’s shadow, sometimes literally, he began to appear more and more in that colossal, volume centric 80s that saw a barrage of films splitting the seams of theatres. Too many, too many films. I hear that he did about twenty plus film with NT alone.

Prabhu’s biggest problem at that time was simply this - his father. That NT was a gigantic talent became a hindrance to his own. True, he inherited many mannerism and a little bit of that wonderful voice, but he had something of his own. And this is not helped by the fact that someone - who deserves to be pelted with rotten Takkali - gave him the title Ilaya Thilagam. He took it proudly. If someone call me Ilaya Prem, I’d kill the guy. My dad is my dad and I am me. Period.

Slowly he found his footing and was making modest hits. I am not yet an authority of his films, but he was good enough that in 1988, he was cast with his buddy and fellow cast member of a couple of films, Karthik, in Manirathnam’s followup to his smash hit, Nayagan.

The film, Agni Natchathiram had a simple story. The Godfather factor so evident in Nayagan was also here - the Gordon Willis lighting and the changing of room in hospital scene. Anyway, Prabhu was great, as did Karthik. Both took off that moment onwards, playing films of variety of genre.

Prabhu especially struck gold in 1991 with Chinnathambi. Though I personally felt the film plot was a bit silly, Prabhu excelled in his role as a simpleton. Sure, it reminds us of NT in, say, Padikatha Methai, but then so does many other performances of Rajini’s and Kamal’s., except that whatever came through Prabhu was inherited - bloodwise!

His career peaked the next few years, and then faltered. Choices of films were getting bad, not helped by the fact by his own struggle with weight issue. He can’t do much with that: as he said in Duet: “It’s genetic”. He was making low budget comedies in which he seemed to be hardly engaged, non of that charisma and only smart move to cross over as a character actor that saw him emerge as the actor we know and love about.

He had a meaty role in Unakkum Enakkum (Something, something) and the reviews were good. He was the only reason to watch Thamirabarani, I think (since I never completed watching the flick for reasons Selvakumar and I know). His chemistry with Ajith was great in Billa, again proving that he can work with anytime. Oh, of course, he was in Chandramukhi, but somehow there was nothing much between him and Rajini. Maybe they should do a sequel and we can see that spark again.

But here, I’d like to talk about some of the better films he did earlier as a leading star. Like NT, he was an original actor. Organic, home grown talent, who never stole performances from Hollywood. Whatever NTism you saw in him was inherited, it is not his fault.

But comparison with NT is inevitable. He did not inherit NT’s capability to melt into most roles given (I’d argue that NT can do any role, but not all with great result, he can do many roles with great result). But he carries them off with his own trademark charm, which NT possessed in some of the comedic roles he played in the 60s. And most importantly, Prabhu was not afraid to mock his own weight on screen.

I am sure spurred by this piece, my fellow fans (fans of other stars have never once mentioned that they disliked Prabhu) would post their own feelings about this underrated actor and talk about some of his own films.

For a starter here are my favourite Prabhu films in rating order.

1.Uzhavan (Powerful, one of the greatest performance ever)
2.Agni Natchatiram (Volcanic, underplaying with fire)
3.Duet (Emotional, lessons on how to suffer quietly)
4.Aruvadai Naal (Tragic, organic, tear-jerking)
5.Guru Sishyan (Silly fun, comic chemistry of two leads never seen again)
6.Vetri Vizha (Fun balance to a taut thriller)
7.Sathanai (Shades of real artistic father son relationship)
8.Chinna Mappilai (Good Crazy Mohan farce)
9.Palaivana Rojakkal (Tough guy in a Kalaignar written good script)
10. Chinnathambi (Soul of the otherwise pedestrian movie)

i always felt prabhu a very good actor.but he did not get enough challenging roles.otherwise he wud have been on par with rajini or kamal in terms of fame now.he had all stuff in him .he can dance well,fight well and above all he can emote superbly.the only disadvantage he had was he was flabby and fat.but even then he looked very cute and smart those days and had tremendous amount of female follow up.
prabhu defenitely deserves a thread here.u can just lsit out his fav movies or scenes in movies or any any of interesting incidents in this thread.

karthik_sa2
8th November 2005, 10:49 PM
'manasukul mathapu" is one of my best movies of prabhu.he looked very cute and wud have acted brilliantly in that movie.

ssanjinika
8th November 2005, 10:57 PM
I liked him in Agni Nakshatiram..thought he carried an angry young man role with aplomb.

Sanguine Sridhar
8th November 2005, 11:16 PM
Siraichalai ... Very Gud

karthik_sa2
9th November 2005, 12:29 AM
whenever he co-stars with any other actors the film goes on to a big hit

1.sangili
2.agni natchathiram
3.guru sishyan
4.vetri vizha
5.chinna thambi periya thambi
6.dharmathin thalaivan
7.vasoolraja mbbs
8.chandramukhi

next he is to act with karthik in a movie called gushti

Nerd
9th November 2005, 12:43 AM
Prabu sucked big time in CM. When he yells "En En En" and also when he says "enna koduma sir idhu", people in the theatre were laughing their heads off :lol:

ssanjinika
9th November 2005, 12:47 AM
Somewhere along the way Prabhu lost his charm I think.Even Chinna thambi and My Dear Marthandan were great compared to his later ones with vague actresses like Mandira and Sukanya(cant remember the names of the movies).
He was always plump but inbetween he put on a lot of weight and looked like he was not interested in what he was doing.

Nerd
9th November 2005, 12:58 AM
one of my all-time fav. prabu movie is arangeRRa veLai. Laugh riot :thumbsup:

karthik_sa2
9th November 2005, 12:59 AM
Prabu sucked big time in CM. When he yells "En En En" and also when he says "enna koduma sir idhu", people in the theatre were laughing their heads off Laughing

yes u r right esspecially "enna koduma sir idhu"very artificial indeed.offlate he acts only in very cheap films<except cm and vasool mbbs>so maybe he lost his touch in acting.
but in another scene in CM ie after rajini narrates him about joe's split personality disorder.prabhu goes back to his room to speak to joe.bfore he speaks he will show an expression with both fear and worry in his eyes.he was awsome in that scene

mr_karthik
9th November 2005, 10:37 AM
yAr yArukkO seperate thread irukkumbOthu (sila pErukku yEgappatta threads), Ilaiya Thilagam Prabhuvukku oru thread create Agi iruppathu to be welcomed.

I think his fatness is not a minus point. As Rajini rightly said: "nAn gundAnA nallA irukkAthu. adhu pOla Prabhu slim AnA nallA irukkAthu".

Some of his movies are nice entertainment and full comedy. Chiina mAppiley and thEdinEn vandhathu are among them.

mr_karthik
9th November 2005, 10:42 AM
The main I like from Prabhu is, he never showed and acted as a son of a great actor. He always very simple without any 'bandha'.

Once he mentioned once that he gained this quality of simplicity and free movement from another great actor Jaishanker.

Surya
9th November 2005, 12:25 PM
whenever he co-stars with any other actors the film goes on to a big hit

1.sangili
2.agni natchathiram
3.guru sishyan
4.vetri vizha
5.chinna thambi periya thambi
6.dharmathin thalaivan
7.vasoolraja mbbs
8.chandramukhi

next he is to act with karthik in a movie called gushti

I've read that a long time ago on some site. But there's no info on it lately. :?

RR
9th November 2005, 03:03 PM
// I've read that a long time ago on some site. But there's no info on it lately.

When Karthik is there in the cast, you know the fate of that film..

Shakthiprabha.
9th November 2005, 03:06 PM
prabhu = humility personified.

I regard him a LOT for that :clap: :clap:

I liked his foll mvoies.

1. agni natchatram
2. kozhik koovuthu
3. arangetra velai
4. some movie based on eric segal's 'love story'
5. veTRi vizha
6. chinnath thambi
7. uththama purushan
8. cast: sathyaraj, prabhu and nathiya. forgot the name. something like 'CHINNA MAMA PERIYA MAMA'

Scale
9th November 2005, 03:31 PM
ITS "CHINNA THAMBI PERIYA THAMBI".

Adding to the list,

His performance in "Duet" was excellent, especially with Sax in En kathale song.

Vennilavin theril yeri song

" Ennai kai neetum thambiye
ennai katti vayithal annaiye
nee vettinalum neerai vaarkum intha paaraiye"

Surya
9th November 2005, 08:33 PM
// I've read that a long time ago on some site. But there's no info on it lately.

When Karthik is there in the cast, you know the fate of that film..

Ture. :( A producer also commited suicide becauseof kathik. I forget what his name is. But when he died he said that it was because his movie flopped since Karthik took for ever to finish it.

My all time fav prabhu movie is:

Chinna Thambi. :thumbsup:

Sanguine Sridhar
9th November 2005, 08:48 PM
Chinna Thambi is a worst movie...

That Guy doesn know what is the meaning of "Thaali" But sings all gud songs with lot of good meanig.....And gains maturity in the climax.....Horrible

Shakthiprabha.
9th November 2005, 08:58 PM
:lol: true that the story is absurd but his acting was kinda cute and kushboo made it more lively

Nerd
9th November 2005, 09:00 PM
/Chinna Thambi is a worst movie... //

:rotfl: Couldnt comply with u more. But it was a super dooper hit in B&C. The last few scenes of that movie were totally untolerable. When Radharavi tries to marry a lunatic to manorama :bangheaad:

Shakthiprabha.
9th November 2005, 09:16 PM
yup thats sick @ kasi :cry:

And we call all this movie to be watched with CHILDREN!!

Avenger
9th November 2005, 09:37 PM
What more can you expect when the director is P.Vaasu. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Chinna Thambi is a worst movie...

That Guy doesn know what is the meaning of "Thaali" But sings all gud songs with lot of good meanig.....And gains maturity in the climax.....Horrible

karthik_sa2
9th November 2005, 11:02 PM
yes chinna thambi is defenitely not a quality movie.very illogical movie.but prabhu's acting in that movie cud not be faulted at all.the movie was a huge hit mainly bcos of illayaraja,kushbu and prabhu

ssanjinika
9th November 2005, 11:08 PM
Nobodys mentioned the movie "Manasukul Mathappu" *ing Prabhu,Saranya and Sarath Babu.The movie was based on the book "One flew over the cuckoos nest" and was a major hit.Prabhu was great in the movie.

nilavupriyan
9th November 2005, 11:08 PM
Nobodys mentioned the movie "Manasukul Mathappu" *ing Prabhu,Saranya and Sarath Babu.The movie was based on the book "One flew over the cuckoos nest" and was a major hit.Prabhu was great in the movie.

i believe its a remake of the mohan lal super hit movie...."thaala vattam"

ssanjinika
9th November 2005, 11:22 PM
Nilavu..
Probably true! The book came out sometime in the 1970's though so I guess the mallu movie was based on the book.

m_23_bayarea
9th November 2005, 11:31 PM
yes chinna thambi is defenitely not a quality movie.very illogical movie.but prabhu's acting in that movie cud not be faulted at all.the movie was a huge hit mainly bcos of illayaraja,kushbu and prabhu

That movie was the height of melodrama !!!

nilavupriyan
9th November 2005, 11:33 PM

forgot the main thalaivar....kavundamani..... :? ....

Nerd
9th November 2005, 11:36 PM
Koundamani's comedy in that movie was a direct lift from one of surulirajan's movies(Dont know the movie). Surulirajan will also suffer of night blindness and atleast 2-3 sequences are the same. The dog eating from his Ilai, first night etcc., But the theatre comedy was new and it was really funny, koundamani rocked :)

nilavupriyan
9th November 2005, 11:37 PM
Koundamani's comedy in that movie was a direct lift from one of surulirajan's movies(Dont know the movie). Surulirajan will also suffer of night blindness and atleast 2-3 sequences are the same. The dog eating from his Ilai, first night etcc., But the theatre comedy was new and it was really funny, koundamani rocked :)

"appa dai......unnala enakku onne onnu michamda.....currentu bill-u naan katnadhea illada"..... :lol: :lol: ...

m_23_bayarea
9th November 2005, 11:37 PM

Theatre la odunathu yaaru padam !! Namma thalaiver padamaache !! Summaava....

Nerd
9th November 2005, 11:38 PM
And I think its dharmathin thalaivan.. not sure though :?

m_23_bayarea
9th November 2005, 11:39 PM

Enna aachu Kasi Anne ungalukku....Itha poi marakulaamaa ??

"Intha beedi mudiyarathukulla un thalaivana mudichi kaatren paar"

Panakkaran !!

nilavupriyan
9th November 2005, 11:40 PM

Theatre la odunathu yaaru padam !! Namma thalaiver padamaache !! Summaava....

that was maapillai i guess...but not dharmathin thalaivan for sure

Nerd
9th November 2005, 11:42 PM
:oops: I vaguely remember that scene.. A fight in the car garage, right?? So I thought it could be DT.. :oops:

nilavupriyan
9th November 2005, 11:43 PM

Enna aachu Kasi Anne ungalukku....Itha poi marakulaamaa ??

"Intha beedi mudiyarathukulla un thalaivana mudichi kaatren paar"

Panakkaran !!

that too rajni will just give a jerk before going to that big guy.......thats nice :wink:

m_23_bayarea
9th November 2005, 11:44 PM
Correct machi....Hey, let's not digress....Otherwise they'll lock this thread ...

nilavupriyan
9th November 2005, 11:45 PM
i liked guru-shishyan in prabhu films....

nice comedy...

vetri vizha is also too good...but prabhu had no work really....all things were done by kamal itself

m_23_bayarea
9th November 2005, 11:46 PM
Yeah, Guru Sishyan was fantastic....Prabhu had a major part in that movie actually !!

ssanjinika
10th November 2005, 01:04 AM
One of my all time fav movies.
Rajini rocked in that movie and Prabhu was a great.The chemistry between the two of them was amazing.
This time when my husband went to India he got me the DVD of this movie :D.Cant wait for the weekend to watch this one .

dlaxmi16
10th November 2005, 01:33 AM
I too liked Prabhu during the 80's..Ofcourse he had not given great movies & acting as compared to his dad, the legend Shivaji Ganesan..But I liked him in Guru Sishyan, Agni Nakshathiram, Urimai Geetham, Anand and many more.. He was one of the heroes who could continue acting inspite of his big frame..:)

Surya
10th November 2005, 05:43 AM

That was the main strength for the film. ALso Kushboo, and the awesome songs.

What more can you expect when the director is P.Vaasu.

Avenger,
P.Vasu films are a hell of a lot better than the average VJ movie. Come on man! Be honest! P Vasu has directed very entertaining movies like Chandramukhi, Nadigan, Uzhaipaali, etc.

karthik_sa2
10th November 2005, 09:54 PM
did prabhu act in a hollywood movie?i think he acted in some movie called "elli my friend"not sure wheteher it was a hollywood movie

karthik_sa2
10th November 2005, 10:02 PM
Avenger,
P.Vasu films are a hell of a lot better than the average VJ movie. Come on man! Be honest! P Vasu has directed very entertaining movies like Chandramukhi, Nadigan, Uzhaipaali, etc.

but surya uzhaipaali was a damp squib,nadigan was quite entertaining bcos of gowndamani and satyaraj and chandramukhi was lifted from a fazil movie

Raghu
10th November 2005, 10:02 PM
Prabhu was a good actor no doubt, but being the GREATEST actor's son, he lacked lot of things his father had, his main rival was karthick, who out class prabhu in acting and looks.

it was karthick all the girls were after not prabhu, he had more girls after him than kamalji even

Sanguine Sridhar
10th November 2005, 10:16 PM
Avenger,

but surya uzhaipaali was a damp squib,nadigan was quite entertaining bcos of gowndamani and satyaraj and chandramukhi was lifted from a fazil movie

Well said! I don have good impression on Vasu..His movies Sethupathy IPS and Uzhaipali are his worst product!

Nadigan was gud only because of Sathyaraj&Gundamani combo

karthik_sa2
10th November 2005, 10:19 PM
Prabhu was a good actor no doubt, but being the GREATEST actor's son, he lacked lot of things his father had, his main rival was karthick, who out class prabhu in acting and looks.

it was karthick all the girls were after not prabhu, he had more girls after him than kamalji even

first of all what did prabhu lack?????????karthik never outclassed prabhu.both of them had different styles of acting.infact in my opinion prabhu is slightly a better actor than karthik.karthik had his stereo typed of accent and voice modulation.

karthik more female fans than kamal is the biggest joke.its only now that kamal has lost his female fans.those days he was punnagai mannan to all the girls

mr_karthik
10th November 2005, 10:29 PM

Raghuji

How can we expect that girls will go after Prabhu, who started to acted in movies, after getting married and having two children during his first entry. But what about Karthik when he entered in AlaigaL Oivathillai, as a teenage boy.

None of the sons/daughters took their dad's/mom's name and fame, except few like Prashant and Soorya.

Look this:

Prabhu (vs) Shivaji
Karthik (vs) Muthuraman
Anand Babu (vs) Nagesh
Arunkumar (vs) Vijaya Kumar
Kanaka (vs) Devikha
Aishwarya (vs) Lakshmi
Vaishnavi (vs) Sowkar (though grand daughter)
Jothimeena (vs) Jothilakshmi
Radha Ravi (vs) M.R.Radha
Vasu Vikram (vs) M.R.R.Vasu

they did not attain the level what their parents did.

Sanni Deol and Sanjay Duth are also not exceptional.

Shakthiprabha.
10th November 2005, 10:36 PM
good analysis Mr_karthik.

ssanjinika
10th November 2005, 10:55 PM
I think Radha Ravi was/is a great actor and has lots of fame.There was one time when villan meant Radha Ravi.He has done such a variety of roles.

Sanguine Sridhar
11th November 2005, 04:23 AM
Prabhu was awesome n Siraichalai......................

Shakthiprabha.
11th November 2005, 09:16 AM
Mr_karthik, u forgot to include, vijayakumar-manjula's daughter. She is not spoken as much as her parents were.

()

I forgot to mention one more movie of prabhu,

'pasum pon'. Very realistic show by prabhu and radhika.

Alien
11th November 2005, 11:54 AM

Avenger,

I would strongly disagree ! P.Vasu is one of the dumbest, stupidest director in tamil cinema. Chandramukhi was Fazil's story, so it looked pretty decent. Chinna thambi,UzhaipaaLi ,.....all bulls*it,
I liked Nadigan though. Sathyaraj & Counter Mani rocked :P 8-)

And about Prabhu movies my fav is ArangEtra VeLai :D

Shakthiprabha.
11th November 2005, 01:38 PM
vasanth,

true p.vasu is one of the dumbest director.Chandramukhi was FAZIL's story which was TRIMMED, MANIPULATED, MOULDED to suit tamizh masala audience GRRR .

I am sure, if he had done a replica of manithichrathazhu, chandramukhi would have adorned herself better.

nilavupriyan
11th November 2005, 07:55 PM

Avenger,

I would strongly disagree ! P.Vasu is one of the dumbest, stupidest director in tamil cinema. Chandramukhi was Fazil's story, so it looked pretty decent. Chinna thambi,UzhaipaaLi ,.....all bulls*it,
I liked Nadigan though. Sathyaraj & Counter Mani rocked :P 8-)

And about Prabhu movies my fav is ArangEtra VeLai :D

its really a great movie....that too the scene where V.K.R,prabhu and revathy fight,prabhu throwing ilani on V.K.R and atlast V.K.R's vEtti falls down before a lady... :lol: :lol:

what about "Raja kaiya vecha".......

PRABHU DOES COMEDY WELL

ssanjinika
11th November 2005, 08:23 PM
Thats true.Prabhu does comedy roles quite well.Remember the hotel scene in Chinna thambi Periya thambi?
IT was pretty good!

nilavupriyan
11th November 2005, 08:26 PM
Thats true.Prabhu does comedy roles quite well.Remember the hotel scene in Chinna thambi Periya thambi?
IT was pretty good!

remember the scene in which prabhu and sathyaraj walks on the tank on top and think about their marriage?.....its a great movie....

he laughs and cries naturally which is not done correctly by some artists

karthik_sa2
14th November 2005, 02:06 PM
yes arangetra velai for the first time fazil tried his hand at comedy.but unfortunatelu people dint accept it.though the movie was great.all the actors wud have done a commendable job esspecially prabhu.my fav scene in that movie is the climax particularly in the scene where vk ramasamy says"avala nambinaen paru enna serupala adikanum enna serupala adikanum'the next second prabhu turns back and gives him a slap.then vk says"chuma vilayatuku sonnaen ippadi pai adi adichitayae"very enjoyable one.
the pakki raam prabhu phone conversation is also an enjoable one.

i also like "vietanam colony"gowndamani landhu peak'la irrukum andha padathula

BTW nilavu ur avatar is great :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

nilavupriyan
14th November 2005, 02:54 PM
yes arangetra velai for the first time fazil tried his hand at comedy.but unfortunatelu people dint accept it.though the movie was great.all the actors wud have done a commendable job esspecially prabhu.my fav scene in that movie is the climax particularly in the scene where vk ramasamy says"avala nambinaen paru enna serupala adikanum enna serupala adikanum'the next second prabhu turns back and gives him a slap.then vk says"chuma vilayatuku sonnaen ippadi pai adi adichitayae"very enjoyable one.

thank u :D

mrsrajan
15th November 2005, 05:18 PM
prabhu is now a "mudhiya thilam" only and not an "ilaya thilagam".
To become again a ilaya thilagam avar mudhalil ilaitha thilagam aaga vendum ..
he can get the tips from ajith

ranjit_g
15th November 2005, 05:32 PM

both arangetra velai and vietnam colony r remakes of malayalam movies,both directed by fazil's previous assistants siddique-lal.BTW,prabhu's manasukkul mathappu is also the remake of another malayalam movie,thalavattom which itself is copied from one flew over the cuckkoos nest.kyon ki is the hindi remake of this movie.

karthik_sa2
15th November 2005, 09:43 PM
both arangetra velai and vietnam colony r remakes of malayalam movies,both directed by fazil's previous assistants siddique-lal.BTW,prabhu's manasukkul mathappu is also the remake of another malayalam movie,thalavattom which itself is copied from one flew over the cuckkoos nest.kyon ki is the hindi remake of this movie.

thanx for the info ranjit_g.BTW how did arangetra velai go in malayalam?was it a hit?

ranjit_g
15th November 2005, 09:48 PM
karthik,
arangetra velai was the remake of the malayalam movie ramji rao speaking.it was the first movie directed by siddique-lal.it was a super duper hit in malayalam.siddique and lal together directed 4 more movies all of which were super hits.vietnam colony is one of them.then siddique started directing movies without lal.he directed hitler,friends and chronic bachelor.all were super hits.he directed friends and engal annai(remkae of chronic bachelor) in tamil.

Nerd
16th November 2005, 12:21 AM
AV was remade in hindi as well. Hera Pheri I think :roll: Priyadarshan handled it I guess.

ranjit_g
16th November 2005, 01:11 AM
AV was remade in hindi as well. Hera Pheri I think :roll: Priyadarshan handled it I guess.
yes.AV was remade by priyadarshan as herapheri.but actually it is the remake of its malayalam version.the role played by akshay kumar was played by mukesh in malayalam.it was done by revathy in tamil.
actually,most of priyadarshan's hindi movies r remakes of malayalam/tamil movies.
muskurahat-kilukkam
gardish-kireedam
virasat-thevar magan
saath rang ke sapne-thenmavin kombathu
yeh tera ghar yeh mera ghar-sanmanasullavarkku samadhanam
doli saja ke rakhna-aniyathipravu/kadhalukku mariyadai
herapheri-ramjirao speaking/arangetravelai
hulchul-godfather
hungama-poochakkoru mookkuthy
kyon ki-thalavattam/MM
garam masala-boeing boeing

but he is pretending as if some of these movies r originals.eg-hulchul.it was a remake of godfather(malayalam).but he said it was a mixture of GF(eng) and virasat.he hasnt mentioned abt the original of herapheri.

i heard recently that he is gonna do another movie called herapheri-2.i am almost sure that it is gonna b the remake of mannar mathai speaking-2nd part of ramjirao spaking

groucho070
3rd July 2008, 04:18 PM
[tscii]

Tamizh film industry is going through an interesting phase. While the big two stars are doing bigger glossy pictures, attention seems so be also in smaller scare flicks and many young directors and stars are emerging and are garnering deserving respects in their own field.

Rajini and Kamal, correct me if I am wrong, are bigger in terms of fan following now than was MGR and my beloved NT. The latter two legends fandom was torn by fractions, backed by political or religious belief. It is not so with Kamal and Rajini, their fans overlap each other.

And speaking of fans, there can only be one actor, though these are not hardcore fans, can comman fans that encompasses fans of any heroes, of past, present and possibly, future. It is non others than Prabhu Ganesan.

[html:496c62a2f5]
http://www.hindu.com/fr/2005/01/28/images/2005012801380603.jpg
[/html:496c62a2f5]

I have contributed mildly to threads involving the younger heroes. I have visited and made contributions to Sathyaraj as and when I can. But there were nothing for Prabhu? Why? No thanks to the huge Himalayan shadow cast by his dad, this true talent did not received the adulation he should.

Well, he did at one point. At late eighties and early nineties, Karthik, Sathyaraj and Prabhu did fine, had many fans, most of them who are also the fans of the big two. And I was one of them.

My love for Prabhu’s talent came before I really began to appreciate NT’s. He was there, and I was growing up in the eighties. NT was neglected, because under the influence of my dad and my aunt (his sister) I came under MGR’s spell. And I recall reading - during first or second anniversary of MGR’s passing on - that Prabhu was a closet fan of MGR’s. That must have influenced my liking for him.

Then, few of his films warmed my heart, particularly his partnership with Rajini (the hilarious Guru Sishyan and delightfully masalaic Tharmattin Talaivan), Kamal (A good Bourne Identity remake, Vetri Vizha), Karthik (notorious cheap flicks in the early eighties and then, Agni Natchatiram) and, of course, the one and only Sathyaraj (Chinnathambi Periyathambi, Palaivana Rojakkal).

In short, he is an able actor, able to blend in any genre flick, and star with any big stars, bigger, or peer in status, with no difficulty at all. His appearance towards the end of Anjali was god send for me, when I was getting supremely annoyed by the obvious darkness of Mani’s flick, and constipation-reflex acting that Mani encourages his lesser experienced actor.

When Prabhu appeared in the Tamil Film scene in 1982, in Sangili with his father, he was 26 years old. In the film, his performance was much more matured, and in fact, he inherited his father’s mature looks. He had hardly aged much since then. Under his dad’s shadow, sometimes literally, he began to appear more and more in that colossal, volume centric 80s that saw a barrage of films splitting the seams of theatres. Too many, too many films. I hear that he did about twenty plus film with NT alone.

Prabhu’s biggest problem at that time was simply this - his father. That NT was a gigantic talent became a hindrance to his own. True, he inherited many mannerism and a little bit of that wonderful voice, but he had something of his own. And this is not helped by the fact that someone - who deserves to be pelted with rotten Takkali - gave him the title Ilaya Thilagam. He took it proudly. If someone call me Ilaya Prem, I’d kill the guy. My dad is my dad and I am me. Period.

Slowly he found his footing and was making modest hits. I am not yet an authority of his films, but he was good enough that in 1988, he was cast with his buddy and fellow cast member of a couple of films, Karthik, in Manirathnam’s followup to his smash hit, Nayagan.

The film, Agni Natchathiram had a simple story. The Godfather factor so evident in Nayagan was also here - the Gordon Willis lighting and the changing of room in hospital scene. Anyway, Prabhu was great, as did Karthik. Both took off that moment onwards, playing films of variety of genre.

Prabhu especially struck gold in 1991 with Chinnathambi. Though I personally felt the film plot was a bit silly, Prabhu excelled in his role as a simpleton. Sure, it reminds us of NT in, say, Padikatha Methai, but then so does many other performances of Rajini’s and Kamal’s., except that whatever came through Prabhu was inherited - bloodwise!

His career peaked the next few years, and then faltered. Choices of films were getting bad, not helped by the fact by his own struggle with weight issue. He can’t do much with that: as he said in Duet: “It’s genetic”. He was making low budget comedies in which he seemed to be hardly engaged, non of that charisma and only smart move to cross over as a character actor that saw him emerge as the actor we know and love about.

He had a meaty role in Unakkum Enakkum (Something, something) and the reviews were good. He was the only reason to watch Thamirabarani, I think (since I never completed watching the flick for reasons Selvakumar and I know). His chemistry with Ajith was great in Billa, again proving that he can work with anytime. Oh, of course, he was in Chandramukhi, but somehow there was nothing much between him and Rajini. Maybe they should do a sequel and we can see that spark again.

But here, I’d like to talk about some of the better films he did earlier as a leading star. Like NT, he was an original actor. Organic, home grown talent, who never stole performances from Hollywood. Whatever NTism you saw in him was inherited, it is not his fault.

But comparison with NT is inevitable. He did not inherit NT’s capability to melt into most roles given (I’d argue that NT can do any role, but not all with great result, he can do many roles with great result). But he carries them off with his own trademark charm, which NT possessed in some of the comedic roles he played in the 60s. And most importantly, Prabhu was not afraid to mock his own weight on screen.

I am sure spurred by this piece, my fellow fans (fans of other stars have never once mentioned that they disliked Prabhu) would post their own feelings about this underrated actor and talk about some of his own films.

crajkumar_be
3rd July 2008, 04:23 PM
Groucho,
Sorry oru nitpick :)

Rajini and Kamal, correct me if I am wrong, are bigger in terms of fan following now than was MGR and my beloved NT. The latter two legends fandom was torn by fractions, backed by political or religious belief.
IMO, as of today, in fan following (manram strength) - it is Rajini followed by Ajith and then the rest...
However, i think MGR's following was/is in a diff league

It is not so with Kamal and Rajini, their fans overlap each other.
Couldn't quite get this... (sorry if i'm digressing too much)

Vivasaayi
3rd July 2008, 04:31 PM
groucho means that a rajni fan would well be a kamal admirer and a kamal fan would admire rajnis abilities

:roll:

groucho070
3rd July 2008, 04:31 PM
Groucho,
Sorry oru nitpick :)

Rajini and Kamal, correct me if I am wrong, are bigger in terms of fan following now than was MGR and my beloved NT. The latter two legends fandom was torn by fractions, backed by political or religious belief.
IMO, as of today, in fan following (manram strength) - it is Rajini followed by Ajith and then the rest...
However, i think MGR's following was/is in a diff league

It is not so with Kamal and Rajini, their fans overlap each other.
Couldn't quite get this... (sorry if i'm digressing too much)

The first one, I am being general. Let's hope this doesn't become who got bigger fanbase thread.

Second one, Kamal and Rajini fans are not torn by politcal parties, as did MGR and Sivaji fans.

crajkumar_be
3rd July 2008, 04:32 PM
The first one, I am being general. Let's hope this doesn't become who got bigger fanbase thread.

Amaam amaam :)

Second one, Kamal and Rajini fans are not torn by politcal parties, as did MGR and Sivaji fans.
Ok....

Vivasaayi
3rd July 2008, 04:34 PM
religious belief

:confused2:

Shakthiprabha.
3rd July 2008, 04:35 PM
groucho means that a rajni fan would well be a kamal admirer and a kamal fan would admire rajnis abilities

And there are few souls like me, who call themselves a fan of both kamalhassan and rajnikant :?

Guess it never happened in NT / MGR time :?

// dign

poor prabhu! spare this thread for him!

groucho070
3rd July 2008, 04:40 PM
religious belief

believers, non-believers in both fractions, torn divided. It mattered that time.

Maybe I should get rid of that para, discussion seemed to be not going towards Prabhu's side. :)

Vivasaayi
3rd July 2008, 04:41 PM
religious belief

believers, non-believers in both fractions, torn divided. It mattered that time.

Maybe I should get rid of that para, discussion seemed to be not going towards Prabhu's side. :)

kamal rajni mgr shivaji pathi eludheetu prabhuva pathi pesanumnu nenaikureengale

hehe

Vivasaayi
3rd July 2008, 04:43 PM
prabhu

very good in comedy(intentional in those days and unintentional sometimes nowadays)

arangetra velai
raja kaiya vecha
my dear marthandan

good in romance

good in dance

groucho070
3rd July 2008, 04:45 PM
Dear Vivasayee,

You talk any portion or personality about Tamizh films, you can't avoid mentioning about MGR/NT/Rajini/Kamal.

Prabhu is fortunate that fans of all like him too. Fans of any faith, belief, political leaning, or even differing in their choice of favourite breakfast, likes Prabhu.

That was the point. Maybe I should have written this way.

P.S. Like your avatar. George C. Scott rocks! Dr. Strangelove rocks!

crajkumar_be
3rd July 2008, 04:45 PM
prabhu

arangetra velai
raja kaiya vecha
my dear marthandan

Arangetra Velai and MDM are two of my favorites....

Vivasaayi
3rd July 2008, 04:47 PM
prabhu

arangetra velai
raja kaiya vecha
my dear marthandan

Arangetra Velai and MDM are two of my favorites....

prabhu had two greats on his side for comedy

"adhula paarungaa ....vkr :lol:

idea dippo gounder :yes:

P_R
3rd July 2008, 04:51 PM
SiraichAlai

groucho070
3rd July 2008, 04:52 PM
PR, interesting that you brought Sirai Chalai up. Prabhu stood well, in fact, equal to Mohanlal who delivered brilliant understated performance.

But too bad, Prabhu's role was short - memorable but short like Muthuraman in Sivandha Man.

Sanguine Sridhar
3rd July 2008, 04:54 PM
prabhu
very good in comedy(intentional in those days and unintentional sometimes nowadays)
arangetra velai
raja kaiya vecha
my dear marthandan

Kanni Raasi along with annan! :lol:

Vivasaayi
3rd July 2008, 04:54 PM
prabhu has a distinct record...

i think he is the guy who had given blockbusters with all the leading stars of his generation

rajni - prabhu cm,guru shishyan,mannan(cameo)

kamal - vasool raja,vetri vizha

sathyaraj - chinna thambi peria thambi

karthik - agni natchathiram

lucky fella

Vivasaayi
3rd July 2008, 04:55 PM
prabhu
arangetra velai
raja kaiya vecha
my dear marthandan

Kanni Raasi along with annan! :lol:

prabhu teams up well with gounder :D

Roshan
3rd July 2008, 04:56 PM
10. Chinnathambi (Soul of the otherwise pedestrian movie)[/tscii]

Good ones. I too like them.

RaagangaL mARuvathillai and Chinna Thambi Periya Thambi could also be added to the list.

Vivasaayi
3rd July 2008, 04:58 PM
NT is very much in his acting and blood!

esp in sentiment scenes

Sanguine Sridhar
3rd July 2008, 04:58 PM
Chinnathambi is one of the worst movie by Prabhu :bangcomp:

P.Vasu :evil:

Roshan
3rd July 2008, 04:59 PM
kOzhi koovuthu

thilak4life
3rd July 2008, 05:00 PM
SiraichAlai

One of my nitpicks in the film, involves Prabhu, and Lal. When you see professional actors like Tom hanks in Cast away, or Bale in Machinist, and then our good 'ol Indian cinema throws an anomaly, Make no mistake they both looked overfed fat pigs for prisoners. :lol:

crajkumar_be
3rd July 2008, 05:01 PM
SiraichAlai
:yes:

Sanguine Sridhar
Pasumpon

groucho070

i think he is the guy who had given blockbusters with all the leading stars of his generation

lucky fella

Can we safely add Ajith-Billa?

Vivasaayi
3rd July 2008, 05:03 PM
SiraichAlai

One of my nitpicks in the film, involves Prabhu, and Lal. When you see professional actors like Tom hanks in Cast away, or Bale in Machinist, and then our good 'ol Indian cinema throws an anomaly, Make no mistake they both looked overfed fat pigs for prisoners. :lol:

actually prabhu eats well in the prison and thats how his charecter was sketched...so he is actually right in a way :lol2:

Vivasaayi
3rd July 2008, 05:04 PM

lucky fella

Can we safely add Ajith-Billa?

sure... :D

thilak4life
3rd July 2008, 05:05 PM
SiraichAlai

Building on this, This particular criticism seem to escape the great Lal, as he has a very natural (abused word I agree) way of emoting, and amid the "histrionics", you forget this silly talk of trimming up the body. :lol:

groucho070
3rd July 2008, 05:05 PM
SiraichAlai

Ah, it happens all the time in Tamizh films. That is why its Indian film, and the other is refered to as Hollywood films.

If further comparison were made with Hollywood, you will notice that Prabhu did not adhere to the hairstyle and 'tache style of that time.

Again, its Tamizh/Mallu film, we have our own identity, and performance matters. But it is not one of my favourite films, I have some issues with it.

thilak4life
3rd July 2008, 05:06 PM
SiraichAlai

actually prabhu eats well in the prison and thats how his charecter was sketched...so he is actually right in a way :lol2:

I know. The other way to see it is the "time span", and other cinematic liberties are there to use. After all, It is not a Kamal film to pick up silly nitpicks and thump your chest. :lol2:

thilak4life
3rd July 2008, 05:09 PM
SiraichAlai

Ah, it happens all the time in Tamizh films. That is why its Indian film, and the other is refered to as Hollywood films.

If further comparison were made with Hollywood, you will notice that Prabhu did not adhere to the hairstyle and 'tache style of that time.

Again, its Tamizh/Mallu film, we have our own identity, and performance matters. But it is not one of my favourite films, I have some issues with it.

Oh, I'm not undermining it at all. I liked the parts, and when I was young, quite impressed actually. In subsequent watch, you think too much for such nitpicks. :lol2:

rangan_08
3rd July 2008, 05:10 PM
Good to see a thread for Prabhu. Thanks groucho.

Yes, Prabhu is definitely a good actor who is liked by almost everybody. As you said, he gets along well with any co-star and still able to give a good show thereby getting his share of applause & praises.

Though being the son of a legend, he somehow managed to create his own path and succeeded. But expecting him to reach to the level of NT, will be unfair.

Some of my fav's....Anjali, Chinnathambi, CTPT, Agninatchatram, Priyanka, Siraichalai, Chinnapoove mella pesu........

groucho070
3rd July 2008, 05:13 PM
Oh, I'm not undermining it at all. I liked the parts, and when I was young, quite impressed actually. In subsequent watch, you think too much for such nitpicks. :lol2:

Okay. When I was younger I was thinking too much, comparing too much with the Hollywood style that I had just discovered then. All those Method acting and all.

But after developing my love, affection, and later, amazement for a talent that is NT's, I thought Method-Schmethod, we have our own style. And that translated to Prabhu and his generations. Stanilavsky anggeyee vittuduvoom, athu avangga kalacharam.

P_R
3rd July 2008, 05:25 PM
He carries Duet on his shoulders
- the scene were he explains to his stepmother why he is diffident about his wait since the time yuvarani spurned his proposal
- the scene were he refuses to see the truth in the coded message, when his stepmom points it out to him
- the scene where he recites his poems in the lighter light - full of energy but checking himself
- the scene where he listens to his stepmom's lecture about the 'joy and meaningfulness of sacrifice' and replies with "இதையே ஏன் நீங்க அவன் கிட்ட சொல்லக்கூடாது"
- the Anjali tune bit in En KAdhalE
- the scene where he makes the doomed proposal to Meenakshi Seshadri

One of his best performances

groucho070
3rd July 2008, 05:29 PM
He carries Duet on his shoulders
- the scene were he explains to his stepmother why he is diffident about his wait since the time yuvarani spurned his proposal
- the scene were he refuses to see the truth in the coded message, when his stepmom points it out to him
- the scene where he recites his poems in the lighter light - full of energy but checking himself
- the scene where he listens to his stepmom's lecture about the 'joy and meaningfulness of sacrifice' and replies with "இதையே ஏன் நீங்க அவன் கிட்ட சொல்லக்கூடாது"
- the Anjali tune bit in En KAdhalE
- the scene where he makes the doomed proposal to Meenakshi Seshadri

One of his best performances

Yes, there were the moments. If only KB did not ruin the mood of the movie with that silly fight sequence.

My fiance, who, unfortunately does not speak Tamizh, loves the Kulicha Kutthalam song. There is a nice nod to NT and what NT commented about Prabhu's weight in that song.

equanimus
3rd July 2008, 06:12 PM
Prabhu is very good in 'Guru Sishyan' too. It's a Rajini show alright, but Prabhu holds his own. "Aah, vErkkudhu, vErkkudhu!" Ha ha, it's a schlock classic!

Vivasaayi
3rd July 2008, 06:20 PM
Prabhu is very good in 'Guru Sishyan' too. It's a Rajini show alright, but Prabhu holds his own. "Aah, vErkkudhu, vErkkudhu!" Ha ha, it's a schlock classic!

unga postuku readiya dictionariya vechurukanum pola! :lol:

"unga purusan....jalagavoda jalsa pannitrukaru" :lol:

"guru...adhu m.n.ramasamy kudhirai illa...v.k.ramasamy kudura than"

Murali Srinivas
3rd July 2008, 07:08 PM
Raakesh,

A good and a deserving thread for a deserving actor.

With so many hits and so many kind words being spoken, you are bang on target when you said that everyone likes Prabhu. With Selva and Joe yet to come in, more nice things will follow suit.

Let me come back to this thread after some time. But before signing off, some roles that flashed through my mind (other than what people have mentioned) are

Oruvar Vaazhum Aalayam

Uthhama Purushan

Manasukkul Mathhaappu (forgetting "One -- & Thalavattom")

Megam Karuthirukku

Kaliyugam

Priyanka (here I felt he was better than Sunny Deol)

Panchalankurichi

And on the hilarious side, there were many

Kaavalan avan Kovalan

Raja Kaiyai Vachha

Vietnam colony (forgetting Mohanlal)

Thedinan Vandhadhu

Some emotional cum action flicks like

En Thangachi Padichhava

Pillaikkaaga

Naalaiya Seidhi

Dharma Seelan (Inspector role)

Regards

raaja_rasigan
3rd July 2008, 08:42 PM
My Dear marthandan - romantic comedy

* Azhagana kushboo

* kalakkal kavundar

* siduvayan chinni

* Isaignani azhagana isai

Vivasaayi
3rd July 2008, 08:48 PM
My Dear marthandan - romantic comedy

* Azhagana kushboo

* kalakkal kavundar

* siduvayan chinni

* Isaignani azhagana isai

sideuvayan,meenmullu thalayan! :lol:

andha yelainga matter....

Movie Cop
3rd July 2008, 10:16 PM

I liked his acting in Arangetravelai with Revathy... He was very hilarious! :thumbsup:
But he was pathetic in Vasool Raja! :banghead:

joe
3rd July 2008, 10:57 PM
Prabu - He didn't have huge dedicated fan following ,but it is hard to find people hate Prabhu ,that is spl about him. :D

will post later about my choices. 8-)

Murali Srinivas
4th July 2008, 12:13 AM
Rakesh,

Just as your title suggests he was not only under rated but his BO success was also not properly brought out. Let me point out that.

One thing that he shared with his father was or shall we say that he went one step ahead was the BO success rate in a year. If NT was " Hero - 72", Prabhu was definitely "Hero - 88". In that year he had 14 releases, out of which 12 were successful in the sense they ran for 100 days and more. Prabhu's List of 1988 was

1. En Uyir Kannamaa - 100 Days

2. Kaalaiyum Neeye Maalaiyum Neeye - 50 Days

3. Urimai Geetham - 100 Days

4. Oruvar Vaazhum Aalayam - 100 Days

5. Agni Nakshathiram - 175 Days (25 weeks)

6. Guru Shishyan - More than 125 Days (but was it a Silver?)

7. Manasukkul Mathaapoo - 100 days

8. En Thangachi Padichhava - 100 Days

9. Rathha Dhanam - 100 Days

10. Dharmathin Thalaivan - 100 Days

11. Poo vizhi Raaja - 100 Days

12. Kaliyugam - 100 days

12. Anjatha Singam (started in 1983 but released in 1988)

14. Manamagale Vaa - 100 Days.

Needless to say that no Hero in Tamil film world had achieved such a feat. Again like NT, Prabhu also did the double of releasing two films on the same day with both crossing 100 days.

1986 Deepavali - Aruvadai Naal & Paalaivana Rojakkal - 100 Days

1988 Deepavali - Poo Vizhi Raja & Kaliyugam - 100 Days.

Will come back later.

Regards

joe
4th July 2008, 09:30 AM
I like Prabhu for ..

* Elegance in dance ..Inspite of his overweight ,his dance movements are elegant 8-)

* ease in comedy ,necessary aspect for a good actor

* Dialogue delivery

* Ellorukkum nalla piLLai image. 8-)

Vivasaayi
4th July 2008, 09:32 AM
I like Prabhu for ..

* Elegance in dance ..Inspite of his overweight ,his dance movements are elegant 8-)

* Dialogue delivery

epidi?
annan rajnikanth

annan kamala haasan

periappa kalaingar

periappa M.G.R

apdiya?

lol

he is liked by all :yes:

joe
4th July 2008, 09:41 AM
I like Prabhu for ..

* Dialogue delivery

epidi?
annan rajnikanth

annan kamala haasan

periappa kalaingar

periappa M.G.R

apdiya?

:yes: :lol:

groucho070
6th July 2008, 09:53 AM
Murali-sar,

Thanks for the excellent information you shared, especially of those of Prabhu's hit films.

Being a new-born Prabhu fan, I am indeed astonished to learn of his achievement in '88. As requested earlier, I hope you can share with us on what actually brought Prabhu to the industry. In our Gtalk, you mentioned that it was NT's brother who brought him in.

And also, later part what was NTs own take on his son's talent. (I am aware of NT's remark on his son's weight and the horse :lol: )

RAGHAVENDRA
6th July 2008, 11:03 AM
Dear friends,
Oru vazhiya ingeyum vandhuttanya, endru ennai sabippeergal endru neengal aluthukolvadhu purigiradhu. Enna Seyya? Vidhi Yaarai vittadhu?
Just for joke. It's nice to have a thread for Prabhu. In fact when he entered the film world, and claimed to be a MGR fan, there was very big disappointment from NT fans, and the reaction was very wild in Madurai district (Murali Sir will know how). In fact, our set of people went to the shooting spot of Sumangali and argued with him. That was the past history.
After almost 26 years he has stood the test of time and as NT would say, he has stood on his own legs. After so much experience, he has now learnt the art of acting and knows the strains and pains his father suffered and sacrifices made by NT. He has matured himself to be a good actor and proved he could don any role with ease.
Coming to films, one of my favourites is CHINNANCHIRUSUGAL with Mohan. One particular scene was the disclosing of secrets one by one by Mohan and Sulakshana (inspired by Nilavanam). He would have simply excelled in this scene. This film was a commerciallay successful one. And another is the film Pudhiya Sangamam, though this film was a flop due to weak screenplay, his performance was noteworthy. Same applies to Lottery Ticket. Later on his performance matured and he moulded himself.
Raghavendran.

OnMyWay
6th July 2008, 01:11 PM
Chandamukhi la avar ore scenela rajiniya overshadow pandradhu than avaroda acting la highlightnu sollalam

groucho070
6th July 2008, 02:26 PM
Ragavendra sir, your views and postings are more than welcomed here. When entering the film industry when MGR was the chief minister, claiming you are his fan is a plus point. Plus, Prabhu really is an MGR fan. I am sure his dad did not object to that. Interesting to note that fans argued with him at a shooting spot!

The lists to which you added are interesting. Some films I have never even heard of. Time to search for the films.

OnMyWay, are you referring to Enna Kodumai scene? I felt both Prabhu and Rajini looked unenthusiastic in that film. The energy is missing. Plus the whole film is not exactly about them. And the Enna Kodumai scene has unintentionally become funny. Watch how Ajith mocks it in front of him in Billa.

OnMyWay
6th July 2008, 10:10 PM
Actually, I was being sarcastic there..20 yrs a hero va irundhavara ore scene la comedian aakidutchu. Actually,if he reduces his bulk he still looks pretty good but i guess he never had that kinda motivation.. I was always under the impression Karthik and Prabhu pretty had parallel careers with similar kinda box office appeal.Could someone speak more about it. Werent chinna thambi and sentamil pattu his biggest hits?
Actually there was an article in Hindu on new year's eve about top actors of the year.It was Rajini followed by Prabhu and Vijaykanth in second spot that year.

Murali Srinivas
6th July 2008, 10:26 PM
Rakesh,

Will do it. Right now a bit busy. You know what (the next song).

Raghavendar Sir,

I was wondering about the movie name and you came out with that. Yes , I am talking about Chinnansirusgal. If I remember correctly, both Prabhu and Mohan's screen name in the film would be Mohan and that would create the confusion, right? Was it not Rama.Narayanan who directed the movie? It came in 1982 end, right?

Regards

raaja_rasigan
7th July 2008, 01:17 PM
In Maniratnam films:

karthik - Mounaragam (guest role)
prabhu - Anjali (guest role)

karthik & prabhu - hero's in Agninatchathiram

---------------

Personally I feel that, in most of the dual roles he did, the other actor had a better character / advanage over prabhu's role

eg: Agni natchathiram, chinnathambi periya thambi, vetri vizha, guru sishyan,

not yet seen "kalaiyum neeye malaiyum neeye" (Vijayakanth + Prabhu)

but there is a film by R V udhayakumar (i think his first) - urimaigeetham ... both Prabhu had a better character

raaja_rasigan
7th July 2008, 01:21 PM
film by R V udhayakumar (i think his first) - urimaigeetham ... both Prabhu had a better character than karthik

selvakumar
7th July 2008, 02:26 PM
Chinna thambi was a big blockbuster - I believe. My brother who is a fan of Sivaji and Prabu told me that it broke 40 year record at that time.

raaja_rasigan
7th July 2008, 02:47 PM
Chinna thambi was a big blockbuster - I believe. My brother who is a fan of Sivaji and Prabu told me that it broke 40 year record at that time.

thats y ... Rajini & Gounder .. acid ellam veesi padathukku ticket vanguvanga :lol:

joe
7th July 2008, 02:49 PM

thats y ... Rajini & Gounder .. acid ellam veesi padathukku ticket vanguvanga :lol:

:lol: Gounder nadicha padathukke gounder appadi ticket vaanguraRna paathukunga :)

jaiganes
7th July 2008, 07:37 PM
My favourite prabhu scenes

1. 'aambalainna ippadi pinnaalendhu adikka koodaadhu. enna maadhiri munnaalendhu adikkanum - gumfai' - Siraichaalai/kaalapaani - He simply rocked in that movie - a casual and strong performance. He jelled perfectly with lalettan in that movie
2. Anjali - bit role - but very powerful.
3. Guru Sishyan - terrific timing with rajini.

selvakumar
7th July 2008, 07:42 PM
I like Prabu in KanniRaasi too. His intro :lol:
I think ladies like his smile.

RC
8th July 2008, 01:37 AM
Actually,if he reduces his bulk he still looks pretty good but i guess he never had that kinda motivation..

I kind of remember reading in a magazine way back when he was asked about his weight, Prabhu mentioned that with his health condition(Hypertension etc), he cannot exercise too much which resulted in weight gain.

Not sure how much of this is true.

saradhaa_sn
17th July 2008, 07:17 PM
I like Prabhu for ..

* Dialogue delivery

இவற்றோடு முக்கியமாக, 'பெரிய இடத்துப்பிள்ளை' என்ற திமிர், தெனாவட்டு கொஞ்சம் கூட இல்லாதது. எல்லோரிடமும் சகஜமாக பழகுவது.

sarna_blr
17th July 2008, 07:20 PM
:victory: :victory: A thread for ONE OF THE FINEST actor in TAMIZH cinema :victory: :victory:

saradhaa_sn
18th July 2008, 12:29 PM
பிரபு நடித்த படங்களில், எல்லோருக்கும் தெரிந்த வெற்றிப்படங்களான 'கோழி கூவுது', 'சின்னத்தம்பி' போன்ற மாபெரும் வெற்றிப்படங்களும், பெரிய இயக்குநர்களிடம் அவர் நடித்த 'டூயட்', 'அஞ்சலி', 'அக்னி நட்சத்திரம்', 'சிறைச்சாலை' போன்ற படங்களும் மட்டுமல்லாது பல படங்கள் சத்தமில்லாமல் ஓடி தயாரிப்பாளர் மற்றும் விநியோகஸ்தர்களுக்கு லாபத்தைத்தந்துள்ளன....

உதாரணமாக... 'கிழக்குக்கரை', 'மறவன்', 'பாண்டித்துரை', 'கும்பக்கரை தங்கையா', 'பொழுதுவிடிஞ்சாச்சு', 'நியாயம்', 'சின்னமாப்பிளே', 'பட்ஜெட் பத்மனாபன்', 'மிடில்கிளாஸ் மாதவன்', 'பாஞ்சாலங்குறிச்சி', பொன்மனம்'... போன்ற பல படங்கள் இந்த வகையில் இடம்பெறும். இயல்பான நகைச்சுவை இவரது பலம் என்று சொல்லலாம். உதாரணமாக 'ராஜா கையவச்சா' படத்தில், ஒவ்வொரு வி.ஐ.பி.க்களிடமும் இவர் லிஃப்ட் கேட்டு பெங்களூர் போய் சேரும் காட்சி.

அப்பாவுடன் சேர்ந்து நடித்தவற்றுள் 'சங்கிலி, சந்திப்பு, நீதியின் நிழல், திருப்பம், நீதிபதி, பசும்பொன், மிருதங்க சக்ரவர்த்தி, வெள்ளை ரோஜா போன்றவை பெரும் வெற்றியைக்கண்டவை. (நாம் இருவர், இருமேதைகள் ஆகியவை இருவருமே நடித்திருக்க வேண்டாத படங்கள்).

பலருக்கு நூறாவது படம் சறுக்கியதுபோலவே இவருக்கும் 'ராஜகுமாரன்' சறுக்கியது.

selvakumar
18th July 2008, 12:37 PM
அப்பாவுடன் சேர்ந்து நடித்தவற்றுள் 'சங்கிலி, சந்திப்பு, நீதியின் நிழல், திருப்பம், நீதிபதி, பசும்பொன், மிருதங்க சக்ரவர்த்தி, வெள்ளை ரோஜா போன்றவை பெரும் வெற்றியைக்கண்டவை. (நாம் இருவர், இருமேதைகள் ஆகியவை இருவருமே நடித்திருக்க வேண்டாத படங்கள்).
:o
I thought it was a big flop. Correct me if I am wrong.

sarna_blr
18th July 2008, 12:39 PM
Sameeba kaalathula vandha Kummipaattu padaththa vittutteenga...

sarna_blr
18th July 2008, 12:40 PM
Charlie Chaplin'a vittutteenga... :angry2: wt a fantastic comedy and superb dance by Prabhu...

rangan_08
18th July 2008, 12:50 PM
"Thaalaattu kekkudhamma" is another movie (with Kanaga), where you can find a neat & subtle performance from him. The role is almost similar to the one which NT did in Selvam.

Murali Srinivas
18th July 2008, 12:52 PM
Saradhaa,

Good that you pointed out the lesser known movies which were successful. Certain films in the same category are Uthhama Purushan, Chinna Mappilai, My Dear Marthandan, Senthamizh Paatttu, Panchalankurichi etc.

Rajakumaran was not a flop movie. What happened was when the movie got released, the result was not good. So in most of the areas, the distributors sold the movie. But after 3,4 weeks the movie picked up and whoever had bought it made a huge profit. I know this as a first hand information because my friends were there in distribution. In Nagerkoil, it ran for 100 days. [Another movie which gave huge profits for second hand distributors was Satyaraj's Thirumathi Palanisamy].

Selva,

You are right. Pasumpon failed at the BO. Saradhaa by oversight must have written that .

Regards

selvakumar
18th July 2008, 12:56 PM
"Thaalaattu kekkudhamma" is another movie (with Kanaga), where you can find a neat & subtle performance from him. The role is almost similar to the one which NT did in Selvam.
ya. nalla padam. Any idea when it got released ? (Murali sir might help) Was it around Nayagan, thalapathy, brahma time ?

Murali Srinivas
18th July 2008, 12:59 PM
Selva,

You are bang on (if you could remove Nayagan from the list). It was released for 1991 Deepavali along with Thalabathy,Guna and Brahma. Nayagan was 1987 Deepavali.

Regards

selvakumar
18th July 2008, 01:01 PM
Selva,

You are bang on (if you could remove Nayagan from the list). It was released for 1991 Deepavali along with Thalabathy,Guna and Brahma. Nayagan was 1987 Deepavali.

Regards

:ty: ( As usual)
My brother told me that the movie ran well in B and C centres at that time compared to other movies (esp among the lady audience). I just left it since it was coming from a prabu fan :P I have heard few others saying the same thing. Not sure on which one to believe. Athaan vittututtaen :wink:

saradhaa_sn
18th July 2008, 01:18 PM
டியர் செல்வா,

நீங்கள் சொல்வது உண்மைதான். பாரதிராஜாவின் படம் என்ற நினைப்பில் சற்று சறுக்கி விட்டேன். 'பசும்பொன்' ஓடவில்லை என்பதே சரி.

டியர் Sar(ava)na,

கும்மிப்பாட்டு, சார்லி சாப்ளின் மட்டுமல்ல, இதுபோல பல படங்கள் சத்தமில்லாத வெற்றியைப்பெற்றிருக்கின்றன. எனது பட்டியலில் 'இவைதான் பிரபுவின் வெற்றிப்படங்கள்' என்று முற்றுப்புள்ளி வைத்துவிடவில்லை. இவை போன்ற பல படங்கள் என்று குறிப்பிட்டுள்ளேன். இன்னும் பலவும் கூட இருக்க்கின்றன.

டியர் முரளி,

சின்னமாப்ப்ளே, பாஞ்சாலங்குறிச்சி ஆகியவற்றை நான் குறிப்பிட்டுள்ளேன். 'உத்தம புருஷன்' பெயர் எனக்கு சட்டென நினைவுக்கு வரவில்லை. ஆனால் 'பட்டிக்காடா பட்டணமா மூக்கையா சேர்வை போல கட்டுக்குடுமியுடன் வருவாரே அது என்ன படம்?' என்று யோசித்துப் பார்த்தேன். பெயர் நினைவுக்கு வர மறுத்துவிட்டது.

selvakumar
18th July 2008, 01:22 PM
I think prabu started his new innings with Budget padmanabhan and Middle class madhvan. Unfortunately, it ended without getting bigger. I like Budget Padamanabhan.

rangan_08
18th July 2008, 01:28 PM
டியர் முரளி,

சின்னமாப்ப்ளே, பாஞ்சாலங்குறிச்சி ஆகியவற்றை நான் குறிப்பிட்டுள்ளேன். 'உத்தம புருஷன்' பெயர் எனக்கு சட்டென நினைவுக்கு வரவில்லை. ஆனால் 'பட்டிக்காடா பட்டணமா மூக்கையா சேர்வை போல கட்டுக்குடுமியுடன் வருவாரே அது என்ன படம்?' என்று யோசித்துப் பார்த்தேன். பெயர் நினைவுக்கு வர மறுத்துவிட்டது.

Madam, it is " Uthama raasa "

sarna_blr
18th July 2008, 01:31 PM
Thiuppadhi yElumala vEnkatEsa started the second innings for Prabhu..... it ran for 100 days in AruppukOttai (small town) and many places..... Padayappa .... vaanaththaupOla.... then Thiruppadhi elumala venkatEsa are 100 days in AruppukOttai during my stay there.....

Murali Srinivas
18th July 2008, 01:46 PM
Saradhaa, sorry. Naanum gavanikkavillai. After seeing your post, then I read your old post again. You have mentioned . Mohan has given you the name. I wanted to include Uthhama Rasa also in the profit list. Though it was not a 100 day movie, it ran for 12 weeks in Madurai and Nagerkoil.

Selva, Thalaattu Ketkudhamma was a 100 day movie and as your brother had pointed out, it did well in B & C.

Regards

saradhaa_sn
18th July 2008, 02:18 PM
Thiuppadhi yElumala vEnkatEsa started the second innings for Prabhu..... it ran for 100 days in AruppukOttai (small town) and many places..... Padayappa .... vaanaththaupOla.... then Thiruppadhi elumala venkatEsa are 100 days in AruppukOttai during my stay there.....
அரிய தகவலுக்கு நன்றி சரவணன்,

பகிர்ந்துகொள்ளும்போதுதான் இதுபோன்ற பல அரிய உண்மைகள் வெளியாகின்றன.

---------------------------------------------------

பொதுவாக பிரபுவின் படங்கள், பிரமாண்டம் என்ற பெயரில் காசை தண்ணீராக கொட்டித் தயாரிக்கப்படும் படங்கள் அல்ல. மிகவும் சிக்கனமாக தயாரிக்கப்படுபவை. அதனால் பல படங்கள் '100-வது நாள்' போஸ்ட்டர்கள் ஒட்டப்படாமலேயே தயாரிப்பாளர்கள் / விநியோகஸ்தர்களுக்கு லாபம் ஈட்டித்தந்துவிடுகின்றன. (பத்துகோடியில் தயாரிக்கப்படும் படமும் சரி, ஐம்பது லட்சத்தில் தயாரிக்கப்படும் படமும் சரி, தியேட்டரில் ஒரே கட்டணத்தில்தான் பார்க்கப்படுகிறது). ஒரு பிரமாண்டப்படம் எடுக்கும் பணத்தில் பிரபுவை வைத்து இருபது படங்கள் (atleast 10) தயாரித்து விடலாம் என்பதால், இவரிடம் வந்த எந்த தயாரிப்பாளரும் கையை சுட்டுக்கொண்டதில்லை.

sarna_blr
18th July 2008, 02:22 PM
well said Saradha Prakash madam... :)

joe
18th July 2008, 02:35 PM
இளைய திலகம் பிரபுவின் திரைப்படங்கள் எங்கள் நாகர்கோவில் நகரில் எப்போதும் அதிக நாட்கள் ஓடியிருக்கின்றன ..சென்னையில் கூட 100 நாட்கள் ஓடாத பிரபுவின் 100 வது படம் 'ராஜகுமாரன்' ,நாகர்கோவிலில் மட்டும் 100 நாட்களை கண்டது ..சின்னப்பூவே மெல்லப்பேசு 150 நாட்களை கடந்தது .இன்றும் பிரபுக்கு பெரிய ரசிகர் பட்டாளம் இருக்கும் ஊர் நாகர்கோவில் தான் ..காரணம் ..வேறென்ன.. நடிகர் திலகம் மேல் கொண்டுள்ள பாசம்.

sarna_blr
18th July 2008, 02:56 PM
இளைய திலகம் பிரபுவின் திரைப்படங்கள் எங்கள் நாகர்கோவில் நகரில் எப்போதும் அதிக நாட்கள் ஓடியிருக்கின்றன ..சென்னையில் கூட 100 நாட்கள் ஓடாத பிரபுவின் 100 வது படம் 'ராஜகுமாரன்' ,நாகர்கோவிலில் மட்டும் 100 நாட்களை கண்டது ..சின்னப்பூவே மெல்லப்பேசு 150 நாட்களை கடந்தது .இன்றும் பிரபுக்கு பெரிய ரசிகர் பட்டாளம் இருக்கும் ஊர் நாகர்கோவில் தான் ..காரணம் ..வேறென்ன.. நடிகர் திலகம் மேல் கொண்டுள்ள பாசம்.

:omg: :shock: :omg: :shock: அப்படியென்றால் மற்ற ஊர்க்காரர்களுக்கு NT மேல பாசம் இல்லயா :? :curse: :rant: :angry2:

joe
18th July 2008, 03:32 PM

:omg: :shock: :omg: :shock: அப்படியென்றால் மற்ற ஊர்க்காரர்களுக்கு NT மேல பாசம் இல்லயா :? :curse: :rant: :angry2:

Pls ask Cancer / Siva on what is spl ?

mr_karthik
19th July 2008, 05:48 PM
Nice to see good discussions going on, about Prabhu and his movies.

What everyone said are right. Most of his movies were silent hits, with the magic slogan of 'Less Expense & Normal Profit'.

Is there any offcial website for Prabhu...?.

Can anyone provide the complete 'Filmography' of Prabhu, here...?. (including the guest rolls he has done).

Murali Srinivas
22nd July 2008, 07:48 PM
Raakesh,

You wanted me to talk about initiation of Prabhu into films. Actually it was Ramkumar who was persuaded to take up acting and that too way back in 1974, much before Prabhu came into the picture.

Bobby was released in 1973 and it was a huge hit. Rishi kappor and Dimple became stars overnight. Sridhar wanted to remake the same in Tamil with Ramkumar in the lead and a new face as a heroine. He put his cousin CVR in charge of direction. In fact i remember they had even given the news to papers.

Ramkumar at that time was a second year student at Vivekananda College. What actually transpired was Sridhar approached VCS and he told him that the family wants Ram to complete his studies. When Sridhar persisted, VCS said that he would speak with NT. But the proposal was firmly negatived by NT.

Assuming that the approval nod would come, Sridhar had gone ahead with the news through his PRO. This was not received well by Annai Illam. So whatever chances were there, it got nipped.

Ramkumar recently said that he was never interested in the first place and so the point of taking it up never came up.

So with this background, CVR approached VCS for permitting Prabhu. Though it took time for the permission to come, it neverthless came.

When it was decided that it is going to be Kalicharan that is going to be remade as Sangili, Prabhu had to take up the role that Danny did in the original. As you know the character would die at the end. Close family members were a bit hesitant and checked with CVR, whether that could be changed. Their reasoning was it is his first film and moreover his son Vikram had just been born. NT on coming to know of this was not impressed. For him it is acting. No sentiments on that. If the character has to die, it has to. If you don't want that end, better don't act, was his stand, it seems. Nobody opened their mouth after wards and Prabhu made his debut in Sangili that hit the theatres on 14th April ,1982.

Regards

PS: Karthik, though I don't have the entire filmography, will try to post as much as I know.

selvakumar
22nd July 2008, 09:40 PM
Quite interesting to hear this Murali sir.Has Ramkumar acted in any other movies apart from Aruvadai naal ? My Dear maarthaandan comes to my mind as of now. But that was just a guest appearance.

Murali Srinivas
22nd July 2008, 10:09 PM
Selva,

As you know he would just show his face in Chandramukhi during Devuda song other than My dear Marthandan and Aruvadai Naal.

He was not interested (For that matter, even Prabhu was like that in the initial phase but later he became focussed). I had asked Ram personally about his and he told me the above reason. But my thinking is, the untimely demise of their uncle VCS had made him to lose whatever little interest he had for grease paint and made him concentrate in admin matters.

Sivaji Productions had just then completed and released Ananda Kanneer on 7th March of 1986. Immediately they started Aruvadai Naal and shooting commenced at Courtalam. But suddenly on March 25th (if my memory serves me right) VCS passed away. That was a huge shock for the family and there was nobody to fill up the void. So, Ram took up the resposibility and Aruvadai Naal became his swan song. Only if VCS had been alive for a longer period, may be just may be we could have seen more of an actor in Ramkumar.

Regards

Murali Srinivas
22nd July 2008, 10:34 PM
Karthik,

Let us start from 1982.

1. Sangili - 14.04.1982.

First film. Remake of Kalicharan. Sort of a guest role for Prabhu as he would appear in the second half.

2. Lottery ticket - Aug 14th, 1982

This was again CVR directed film where he did a negative role. Mohan (?) and Suhasini played the lead roles. My remmeberance is his introduction scene would show a NT film poster in the background (En Magan. Irony - it was also directed by CVR).

3. Nalamthaana - Sep 24, 1982

His first role as Hero with Sankarabaranam Rajalakshmi as the heroine. Don't remember much.

4. Kannodu Kan - Oct 1st, 1982.

Here he was not the hero. If I am not off the mark, producer Kottarakara's son was the hero with Sulakshana(?) as the heroine. This is one movie, I missed out.

5. Athisaya Piravigal - 14.11.1982 - Deepavali

This Devar Films movie was the first one to showcase Prabhu as an actor and was well received.

6. Chinnansirusukal - 10th Dec, 1982.

This double hero film (Mohan being the other) along with Sulakshana was a interesting movie with Prabhu donning a rich man's role with conviction.

7. Kozhi Koovuthu - 24th Dec, 1982.

His first Super hit movie. Though Suresh and Viji were the main characters, it was Prabhu and Silk that stole the show. Poove ilaiya Poove was a super duper hit song which also showed that Prabhu can carry song sequences with aplomb.

Let me come back

Regards

Disclaimer: Not sure about certain release dates of the movies mentioned above though the chronological order is correct.

RAGHAVENDRA
23rd July 2008, 08:26 AM
Dear Murali, Karthik, Saradha and friends,
It is nice to see this thread going on uninterrupted. Regarding the filmography for Prabhu, I am working on it and as soon as possible it would be included in our website, nadigarthilagam.com.
It was the film "O Manchu" for which Prabhu was approached after Ramkumar. This film was almost based on Bobby as Murali Sir said. In fact we all felt it was a good decision, after seeing the film. The only saving grace for O Manchu was Mellisai Mannar. The songs were simply great. Other than that this film would have been a miserable debut for Prabhu. The only film we felt Prabhu missed was Saatchi. Had he done it, his films would have even more reached in the nook and corner. And rest every body knows.
Raghavendran.

joe
23rd July 2008, 08:43 AM
There was a thread on Prabhu long back
http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=5137&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

NOV
23rd July 2008, 08:54 AM
ok Joe, have merged both threads. :)

joe
23rd July 2008, 09:00 AM
ok Joe, have merged both threads. :)
8-)

NOV
23rd July 2008, 09:01 AM
Filmography

1988 Agni Natchathiram Karthik Muthuraman, Vijayakumar
1988 Kaliyugam Amala, Raghuvaran
1988 Guru Sishyan Rajinikanth, Gauthami
1988 Dharmathin Thalaivan Rajinikanth, Kushboo, Suhasini
1991 Chinna Thambi Kushboo
1992 Chinnavar Kasthuri
1992 Senthamizh Paatu Sukanya, Kasturi
1993 Chinna Mapillai Sukanya
1994 Rajakumaran Meena, Nadhiya 100th movie
1996 Siraichalai Mohanlal, Tabu
1999 Thirupathi Ezhumalai Venkatesa S.V. Sekar, Roja, Ooorvasi
2000 Thai Poranthachu Karthik Muthuraman, Kousalya
2002 Charlie Chaplain Prabhu Deva Sundaram, Abhirami, Gayathri Raghuraman
2003 Banda Paramasivam Rambha, Abbas
2004 Vasool Raja MBBS Kamal Haasan, Sneha, Prakash Raj
2005 Chandramukhi Rajinikanth, Jyothika Saravanan, Nayantara, Vadivelu, Vineeth
2006 Pasa Kiligal Murali, Navya Nair, Malavika, Vineeth
2006 Kusthi Karthik Muthuraman, Vadivelu
2006 Something Something Unakkum Enakkum Jayam Ravi, Trisha Krishnan
2006 Thamirabarani Vishal, Banu, Nadhiya
2007 Billa Ajith Kumar, Nayantara
2008 Kuselan Pasupathy, Rajinikanth, Meena, Vadivelu, Nayantara
2008 Silambattam Silambarasan
2009 Ayan Surya Sivakumar, Tamanna Bhatia

joe
23rd July 2008, 09:05 AM
NOV,
Even if that filmography is from 1988 ,many movies(Budget padmanaban ,Vietnam colony ,PaanjalankuRichi etc) are missing . :(

NOV
23rd July 2008, 09:13 AM
maththavangalum contribute pannanum illaiyaa? :D

rangan_08
23rd July 2008, 09:22 AM
Dear Murali sir,

Another great work from you. I think you are the most eligible person to become the heir for Filmnews Anandan.

Joe & Nov - thanks for the filmography.

During the initial period of his career, " Kairasikkaaran " was a big hit for Prabhu. I've seen the film in Roxy theatre which is in Doveton. Though the theatre still exist, they have stopped screening films in it for more than 2 decades.

" Soorakkoattai singakutti " was also another big hit with one of IR's great song "Kaalidasan Kannadasan..."

P_R
23rd July 2008, 09:54 AM
NOV there are gaping holes even I can spot.
Some I can recall..

Raja Kaiya vAchchA
My Dear MarthAndan
Anjali (guest)
Vetri Vizha (2nd hero)
ThAlAttu kEkkudhammA (2nd hero :P)
Dharmaseelan
Maravan
Pandithurai
Uthamarasa
Uzhavan
PanchAlankurichi
IniyavaLE
Ponmanam
Priyanka (supporting)
Duet

sarna_blr
23rd July 2008, 10:00 AM
Manam virumbudhEy unnai... Meena
Kummipaattu --- Dhevayaani
chinnappoovE mella pEsu ---- Ramki ...
thiruppadhu elumala venkatEsa
kandha kadamba kadhirvElaa....

raaja_rasigan
23rd July 2008, 01:16 PM
Sivasakthi - with sathyaraj ... utter flop

Kalyasi
23rd July 2008, 01:34 PM
Kattumarakaaran is also missing, Charlie Chaplin, Thirunelveli and many more are missing....

sarna_blr
23rd July 2008, 01:37 PM
Sivasakthi - with sathyaraj ... utter flop

My name is Mr Sakthu
En ooru kOvilpatti
enakkilla vElavetti
oormilaa.... oormilaa
kadijOkku solvadhu endhan formula.. formula...

rangan_08
23rd July 2008, 02:20 PM
Kalyasi, Charlie Chaplin is there...

" Urudhi Mozhi " ??

raaja_rasigan
23rd July 2008, 02:42 PM
urimai geetham

Nalaya Seidhi

kandha kadamba kathirvela (idhu prabhu padama?)

sarna_blr
23rd July 2008, 02:43 PM
urimai geetham

Nalaya Seidhi

Ramanarayanan padam.... :sigh2:

MGR will come and dance with these stars :P

raaja_rasigan
23rd July 2008, 02:48 PM
urimai geetham

Nalaya Seidhi

I know that is Rama.. 's film... who is the main hero?

sarna_blr
23rd July 2008, 02:53 PM
urimai geetham

Nalaya Seidhi

I know that is Rama.. 's film... who is the main hero?

obviously VADIVELU :sigh2:

palaya Nagesh padaththukku oru izhukku vilaivikkura maadhiriyaana padam..... :sigh2:

Acting by vadivEl is the worst part of the movie... : :argh:

RajaRam
23rd July 2008, 03:17 PM
Anna nagar muthal theru(acted in guest role)
Chinna thambi periya thambi.
manamahale vaa.
Arangetra velai.

groucho070
23rd July 2008, 03:19 PM
Dear everyone, thank you very much for keeping this thread alive and active. I got more than what I bargained for when I started this thread. Thank you Saradha mdm, Joe, Selva, Nov, Rangan, Raghavendra, PR, and others whose name escapes me at this moment. Thank you so much for your participation.

Sarna, your avatar rocks.

And now, Murali-sar. How can I ever thank you. In spite of your busy schedule, your participation in NT's thread, and we all know the monumental task anchoring the Padalgal Palavitham thread and the efforts you pour in that thread.

Amidst all this, you still have valuable contribution to this humble thread dedicated to a humble underrated actor.

Thank you sir, thank you very much.

A clarification-sar,

While CVR, Ramkumar and VCS were instrumental in bringing Prabhu to screen, what was NT's personal take? Did he ever wanted to have his children to follow his footstep, even when they were studying?

RajaRam
23rd July 2008, 03:38 PM
some of the prabhu movies which ran 100 days or more in Madurai.

1.Kozhi koovuthu. - 100 days - alankar theatre.
2.athisaiya piravihal-65 days- thangam theatre(biggest theatre in asia)so equivalent to 100 days.
3.Vellai Roja - 100 days - central.
4.Agni natchathiram - 175 days - sugapriya
5.Guru sisyan - 125 days - cinipriya
6.tharmathin thalaivan - 100 days - solaimalai.
7-vetri vizha - 100 days sundaram.
8.my dear maarthandan-100 days - Amirtham
9.Chinna thambi - 200 days - sakthi
10.senthamiz pattu - 100 days. - mathy.
11.kaliyugam - 100 days- minipriya.

saradhaa_sn
23rd July 2008, 07:13 PM
While CVR, Ramkumar and VCS were instrumental in bringing Prabhu to screen, what was NT's personal take? Did he ever wanted to have his children to follow his footstep, even when they were studying?
நடிகர்திலகத்தின் கமெண்ட்:

"பிரபுவை ஐ.பி.எஸ். படிக்க வச்சு பெரிய போலீஸ் ஆஃபீஸரா ஆக்கணும்னு ஆசைப்பட்டேன். அவனுக்கு சினிமா ஆசை வந்துடக்கூடாதுன்னு சென்னையில் படிக்க வைக்காமல் வெளியூரில் (டேராடூனில்..?) படிக்க வச்சேன். ஆனா என்னை ஏமாத்திப்புட்டான். கடைசியில் என்னுடைய தொழிலுக்கே வந்துட்டான்".

Murali Srinivas
23rd July 2008, 10:13 PM
Dear Raakesh,

It is my pleasure to participate in this thread and bring out the details hitherto unknown. About your question, Saradhaa had answered. NT never wanted his children to take up acting. But it so happened that both the sons have taken cinema as their profession.

Saradhaa, all the children (sons of VCThangavelu, NT and VCS) studied at Bishop Cotton school, Bangalore.

All others,

Thanks for the filmography list. But we can go by chronological order, year wise. That's why I started with 1982. People can add about the films mentioned. Raakesh, it is your turn now to talk about these movies.

Mohan,

It is a passion that drives me. So adjectives like historian are too big for me. [Have you seen Indian films - Malayalam films thread?].

Regards

Querida
24th July 2008, 09:16 AM
Siraichalai ... Very Gud

That was Mohanlal...

My fave remains Chinna Thambi...liked him next in Duet..IMO he emotes well in songs...

joe
24th July 2008, 09:19 AM
Siraichalai ... Very Gud

That was Mohanlal...

Mohanlal and Prabhu :huh:

Querida
24th July 2008, 09:21 AM
Really I don't remember Prabhu in it at all...maybe I'm forgetting...

joe
24th July 2008, 09:22 AM

Looks like you watched only songs ..We are talking about Movie. :wink:

Querida
24th July 2008, 09:27 AM

haha...i take it you remember now that Prabhu was in it....running to the defense of your hero's son eh? :P

joe
24th July 2008, 09:30 AM

haha...i take it you remember now that Prabhu was in it....running to the defense of your hero's son eh? :P

Yaarai paarthu yaar sirikkuRathunnu oru vivasthaye illama pochu :huh:

Querida
24th July 2008, 09:31 AM

anyways...back to the topic!

groucho070
24th July 2008, 10:33 AM
Raakesh, it is your turn now to talk about these movies.

Oh, oh! The trouble is I have not seen most of his films, being that I am a newly convert Prabhu fan. I am awaiting your verdict before hunting for those films, some which I had seen, and some I have in DVD/VCD. But let me have a go on the list you have given.

1. Sangili - 14.04.1982.

Long time since I saw this one. I was a kid then. But my memory is this: That Prabhu looked very matured and gave fierce performance. Other than that, this is one of those films of NTs I despised at that time. Then, I was not an NT fan, so it explains. But I would love to give this film another look.

2. Lottery ticket - Aug 14th, 1982

Am totally not aware of this film. Really. But judging from your and Raghavendra-ji's comment, I am definitely taking a look at it.

3. Nalamthaana - Sep 24, 1982

Very vague memory of this one. One of those non-event movie, I suppose, but as his first hero role it deserves another look.

4. Kannodu Kan - Oct 1st, 1982.

Another one of those "huh?" movies. Never heard of it.

5. Athisaya Piravigal - 14.11.1982 - Deepavali
This one I saw quite recently. Its a mixed masala flick with other young stars, namely Karthik and SV Sekhar, I believe. Really horribly made in current context, but suited that times action need.

6. Chinnansirusukal - 10th Dec, 1982.

Again, not aware of this one. Interesting to see his chemistry with Mohan, seeing that he got good chemistry with others.

7. Kozhi Koovuthu - 24th Dec, 1982.

This is actually the first film of his that I saw. This was everyone was taking about "Svaji-ooda magan". Checking out his features, his movements, etc. More interested in comparison with NT. Is he good? I thought he was at that time. The Poove song is beautiful, listenable till today. I am waiting to watch it again.

There you go. I need to update myself as a Prabhu fan. Thanks for the information given, sar.

raaja_rasigan
24th July 2008, 01:11 PM
It is my pleasure to participate in this thread and bring out the details hitherto unknown.

Murali sir, I want to know some details about the only film Prabhu acted with Vijayakanth.... "kaalayum neeye maalayum neeye"

1) I remember, the director is R Sundarrajan... right?

2) Is the film a Hit?

3) Who is the heroine, music director, producer?

4) outline of the story?

I guess.. this film was not telecasted in any channels & also it was re-released rarely in theaters after its initial release.

saradhaa_sn
24th July 2008, 01:37 PM
சங்கிலி
----------
பிரபு முதன்முதலாக, நடிகராக கேமரா முன் நின்ற படம். சி.வி.ராஜேந்திரனின் இயக்கம். அப்பாதான் ஹீரோ. சிவாஜியின் மகன் பிரபு முதன்முதலாக நடித்திருக்கும் படம் என்பதால், அவர் எப்படியிருப்பார் என்பதை முதலில் பார்க்க நிறைய ரசிகர்கள் மற்றும் பொதுமக்கள் இடையே ஆவல். இடைவேளையும் வந்துவிடும், இன்னும் வரவில்லையே என ரசிகர்கள் எதிர்பார்ப்பு. பிற்பகுதியில்தான் வருவார்.

படத்தில் அவர் பெயர் 'ராஜாளி'. இன்ஸ்பெக்டராக வரும் அப்பா "யாரவன் ராஜாளி?" என்று கேள்விகேட்க, சட்டென ஒரு சூலம் கீழிறங்கும். தலைநிறைய முடியுடன், தலையை சிலுப்பிக்கொண்டு குளோசப்பில் திரும்புவார். கைதட்டல் பறக்கும்.

தாய்க்குலத்தின் நடுவே வெட்கம் கலந்த விசாரிப்பு...
"இவர்தான் சிவாஜியின் மகனா?"
"அழகா இருக்காரில்ல?. ஆனா அப்பா ஜாடை இல்லையே"
"இவர் அவங்க அம்மா ஜாடை"

நடிப்புக்காக எந்த சவாலையும் ஏற்கும் அப்பாவின் பிள்ளையில்லையா?. அது மரத்தடியில் இருந்து எழுந்து நிற்கும்போதுதான் தெரியும். ஆம், முதல் படத்திலேயே ஒரு காலில்லாதவராக வருவார்.

ரசிகர்களுக்கு இன்னொரு உற்சாகம். நடிகர்திலகம் ராஜ்யசபா உறுப்பினரான பின்னர் வரும் முதல் படம். டைட்டிலில் 'நடிகர்திலகம் சிவாஜி கணேசன் M.P. ' என்ற டைட்டிலோடு வந்தது.

sarna_blr
24th July 2008, 01:44 PM
ஹூம்.... பக்கத்திலிருந்து பார்த்தது போலவே எழுதுகிறீர் சாராதா அம்மையாரே... அனுபவம் பேசுகிறது :clap:

rangan_08
24th July 2008, 02:14 PM
சங்கிலி
----------
பிரபு முதன்முதலாக, நடிகராக கேமரா முன் நின்ற படம்.
"அழகா இருக்காரில்ல?. ஆனா அப்பா ஜாடை இல்லையே"
"இவர் அவங்க அம்மா ஜாடை"

True. Such conversations are quite common during that time.

Raghu
24th July 2008, 07:52 PM
Prabhu was a good combination with SS, he has the innocent child face look

but Karthick was over all much better than Prabhu IMHO

Murali Srinivas
24th July 2008, 10:43 PM
It is my pleasure to participate in this thread and bring out the details hitherto unknown.

Murali sir, I want to know some details about the only film Prabhu acted with Vijayakanth.... "kaalayum neeye maalayum neeye"

1) I remember, the director is R Sundarrajan... right?

2) Is the film a Hit?

3) Who is the heroine, music director, producer?

4) outline of the story?

I guess.. this film was not telecasted in any channels & also it was re-released rarely in theaters after its initial release.

Dear Karthik [r_r],

I have mentioned about this in the second or third page of this thread. It was released in Jan 1988. In that year this and another film Anjaatha Singam were the only fims that did not cross 100 days for Prabhu. All other 12 films in that year crossed 100 days. Yes, it was R.Sundararajan who directed the movie. Other details we would cover in due course. One info I would add here.

R.Sundarrajan was a big fan of the song "Thoongaatha Kanninindru Ondru" from Kungumam acted by NT. That's why he even named one of his films as Thoongaatha Kannindru Ondru (Mohan and Ambika). In this film (Kaalaiyum Neeye Maalaiyum Neeye) he made Prabhu and Rekha sing this song in the stage for a college function. Such was his love for the song.

Captain acted in double roles as father and son. Prabhu will come as the second son. Lakshmi was the jodi for Father role. For son, I don't exactly remember (Vague memory is it was Radhika). Will provide other details later.

Regards

PS: Saradhaa, are you going to write small notes for all films (like you have done for Sangili)?

raaja_rasigan
25th July 2008, 02:24 PM
Dear Karthik [r_r],

I have mentioned about this in the second or third page of this thread. It was released in Jan 1988. In that year this and another film Anjaatha Singam were the only fims that did not cross 100 days for Prabhu. All other 12 films in that year crossed 100 days. Yes, it was R.Sundararajan who directed the movie. Other details we would cover in due course. One info I would add here.

R.Sundarrajan was a big fan of the song "Thoongaatha Kanninindru Ondru" from Kungumam acted by NT. That's why he even named one of his films as Thoongaatha Kannindru Ondru (Mohan and Ambika). In this film (Kaalaiyum Neeye Maalaiyum Neeye) he made Prabhu and Rekha sing this song in the stage for a college function. Such was his love for the song.

Captain acted in double roles as father and son. Prabhu will come as the second son. Lakshmi was the jodi for Father role. For son, I don't exactly remember (Vague memory is it was Radhika).

Murali Sir,
நான் இதுவரை அறிந்திராத ஒரு அரிய தகவலுக்கு நன்றி!!!!! :D

Will provide other details later.

Eagerly waiting!!!!

saradhaa_sn
26th July 2008, 05:38 PM
Saradhaa, are you going to write small notes for all films (like you have done for Sangili)?
அப்படியில்லை முரளி,

நான் பிரபுவின் எல்லாப் படங்களும் பார்த்ததில்லை. பார்த்தவற்றிலும் சிலவற்றைப்பற்றிய விவரங்கள் மட்டுமே நினைவில் உள்ளன. 'சங்கிலி' முதல் படம் என்பதால் ஜஸ்ட் ஒரு இண்ட்ரொடக்ஷனுக்காக எழுதினேன்.

மற்றபடி, நீங்கள் (முதலில் சொல்லியிருப்பதுபோல்) உங்கள் பணியைத் தொடருங்கள். அவ்வப்போது நானும் ஒத்து ஊதுகிறேன்.

saradhaa_sn
27th July 2008, 12:43 PM
சூரக்கோட்டை சிங்கக்குட்டி
------------------------------------

நடிகர்திலகத்தின் ரசிகர்களுக்கு மிகவும் பிடித்த டைட்டில் (படத்தின் தலைப்பு யாரைக்குறிக்கிறது என்பதால்).

ஏ.வி.எம். நிறுவனம் தயாரித்த் இப்படத்தில் 'இளையதிலகத்தின்' ஜோடியாக நடித்தவர் மறைந்த 'சில்க்'ஸ்மிதா. சில்க் கதாநாயகியாக நடித்த, விரல்விட்டு எண்ணக்கூடிய படங்களில் ஒன்று. படத்தை இயக்கியவர் ராம.நாராயணன்.

பழம்பெரும் நடிகர் திரு.ஜெமினிகணேஷும் இப்படத்தில் முக்கியமான ரோலில் நடித்திருக்க எஸ்.எஸ்.சந்திரன், பிந்துகோஷ் ஆகியோர் நகைச்சுவை விருந்தளித்தனர். (ஒருகட்டத்தில், கொஞ்சும் சலங்கையின் பிரபலமான 'சாந்தா, உட்கார். ஏன் பாட்டை நிறுத்திவிட்டாய்?' என்ற வசனத்தை எஸ்.எஸ். பேசத்துவங்க, ஜெமினி 'புலவரே' என்று அதட்டியதும், 'மன்னிச்சுக்குங்க... நீங்க இருக்கிற இடத்தில் இந்த வசனத்தைப் பேசுவது தவறுதான்' என்று ஜகா வாங்குவது சிரிப்பையூட்டும்).

இளையராஜாவின் இசையில், பிரபு - சில்க் டூயட்
"காளிதாசன் கண்ணதாசன் கவிதை நீ,
நெருங்கிவா படிக்கலாம் ரசிக்கலாம்"
பாடல் அந்த ஆண்டின் ஹிட் பாடல்களில் ஒன்று. (இன்றைக்கும் 'பிரபு ஹிட்ஸ்' சி.டி.க்களில் தவறாமல் இடம்பெறும் பாடல் இது). அனல்பறக்கும் சண்டைக்காட்சிகள் இடம்பெற்ற இப்படம், பிரபுவின் வெற்றிப்படங்களில் ஒன்று. குறிப்பாக B - C செண்ட்டர்களில் மிகப்பெரிய வரவேற்பைப்பெற்ற படம்.

saradhaa_sn
27th July 2008, 05:33 PM
'கிழக்குக் கரை'
--------------------

'சின்னத்தம்பி' என்ற மாபெரும் வெற்றிப்படத்துக்குப்பின் பி.வாசு இயக்கத்தில், 'இளையதிலகம்' பிரபு நாயகனாகவும் குஷ்பூ அவர் ஜோடியாகவும் நடித்து வெளிவந்த படம். சின்ன மாற்றம், இளையராஜாவுக்கு பதிலாக இம்முறை தேவாவின் இசை.

ராமநாதபுரம் மாவட்டத்திலுள்ள, கிட்டத்தட்ட இதே பெயர்கொண்ட ஒரு இடத்தை மையமாக வைத்து பின்னப்பட்ட கதை. அங்கு தாஹா என்றொரு கள்ளக்கடத்தல் தலைவன். அவரிடம் கடத்தலில் முக்கிய கையாளாக பிரபுவின் அப்பா விஜயகுமார். குடும்பத்துக்கோ மகனுக்கோ தன் 'தொழில்(?)' ரகசியம் தெரியாமல் மறைத்து வைத்திருக்க, ஒருநாள் மகன் அவரைக் கையும் களவுமாக பிடித்து அவரைக் கண்டிக்க, உடனே முதலாளியிடம் இனிமேல் இவ்வேலையில் ஈடுபட சம்மதமில்லை என்று சொல்லி திரும்பும்போது, வில்லனான முதலாளியின் ஆட்களால் கொல்லப்படுகிறார்.

விஷயமறிந்த மகன் (பிரபு) வில்லனின் வழியிலேயே சென்று அவனை ஒழித்துக்கட்டுவதுதான் கதையின் முக்கிய முடிச்சு. அப்பா விஜயகுமார், அம்மா ஸ்ரீவித்யா, முறைப்பெண் குஷ்பூ என கலகலப்பான குடும்பம். முதல்பாதி கலகலப்பாகவும் பிற்பாதி டென்ஷனாகவும் நகரும்.

சின்னத்த்ம்பி என்ற கிராமத்துக் கதையை அடுத்து இப்படி ஒரு முற்றிலும் மாறுபட்ட படத்தை அதே கூட்டணியிடம் இருந்து மக்கள் எதிர்பார்க்கவில்லை. இனிய ஷாக் என்றுதான் சொல்ல வேண்டும்.

ஆரஞ்சுக்கலர் தலைமுடியுடன், தன் காதலி மற்றும் அவளது குள்ள அண்னன் ஆகியோருடன் கவுண்டமணியின் நகைச்சுவை எடுபடவில்லை.

தேவாவின் இசையில்....
'சன்னதி வாசலில் வந்தது பூந்தேரு'
'சிலு சிலு சிலுவென காத்து'
'எனக்கென பிறந்தவ ரெக்கை கட்டி பறந்தவ இவதான்'
ஆகிய பாடல்கள் மக்கள் மத்தியில் பாப்புலராயின.

பிரபு - வாசு அணியின் இன்னொரு வெற்றிப்படம்.

Murali Srinivas
28th July 2008, 12:33 AM
To continue with Prabhu's filmography, year wise.

8. Neethipathi - 26.01.1983

A remake of Justice Choudary (NTR), this movie had NT as the hero and Prabhu as the son born to his second wife played by Sujatha. Wife was KR Vijaya. Menaka acted as the daughter (dumb) and Vijayakumar was her husband. Radhika was Prabhu's jodi. This was the first film Gangai amaran scored music for a NT film. "Paasa Malare, anbil vilaindha vaasa Malare" was a great hit. This Balajee movie directed by Billa. R.Krishnamoorthy turned out to be the first Silver Jublie for Prabhu.

9. Thalai Magan -25.02.1983

Directed by M.R.Vijayachander, this movie had Suresh and Jeevitha as the leading pair. Prabhu did an action role and this movie went on to do well at B & C centres establishing Prabhu as a hero.

10. Soorapuli - 25.03.1983

Directed by Venkat, Prabhu had Viji as his heroine and this movie really did well making Prabhu a favourite with distributors.

11. Sandhippu -16.06.1983

Loosely based on Amithab starrer Nazeeb, this own production starring NT, Prabhu, Sridevi and Radha was a gigantic success and this was the first silver jublie film for CVR, the director.

12. Sumangali -12.08.1983

Again a remake from Telugu, this NT, Prabhu and Sujatha starrer didn't set BO on fire. An average film.

13. Raagangal Maaruvathillai - 09.09.1983

Again inspired from Iruvar Ullam, this Prabhu - Ambika starrer had a very good performance from Prabu and lovely songs form Ilaiya Raja. An average grosser.

14. Soorakottai Singakutti - 16.06.1983.

Saradhaa has given all details. To add some, this was produced by AVM Kumaran after he came out of the Partnership with his younger brothers. Directed by Rama Narayanan, again this was almost a remake of Manohara but instead of Historical, they changed it to social background.

15. Mridanga Chakravarthi - 23.09.1983

Most of the people knew. But the surprise packet was Prabhu who gave out a restrained performance [after trying Kamal and Rajini, director K.Shankar came to Prabhu]. Prabhu showed that he can also walk majestically in the song "Abinaya sundari Aadugiraal". Sulakshana was the jodi and it was a 100 day movie.

16. Vellai Roja - 04.11.1983

A remake of Malayalam movie Post Mortem, this was a Super Duper hit. NT in dual roles, Prabhu, Suresh, Ambika and Radha were the main stars and Ilaiya Raja gave some great numbers. A. Jagannathan directed the movie. Prabhu's song "Oh! Maane Maane Maane" was a chart buster.

17. Muthu Engal Sothu - 09.12.1983

Another inspiration. This time it was Padikkaadha Medhai. Directed by G.N.Rangarajan, heroine was Radha with Rajeev playing the villain. An average grosser.

Regards

Disclaimer: Not sure about certain release dates.

mr_karthik
28th July 2008, 05:34 PM
Murali sir,

thanks for Prabhu's Filmography.

saradha mam,
thanks for the additional informations.

both of you pl. continue to the maximum output.

karthik_sa2
30th July 2008, 01:33 PM
am very happy this thread is revived tht too with an inspiring post from groucho070 ... murali sir u too doing a great job in this thread...i stopped posting cos when i started this long back there was not much participation...and then somehow i also started disliking prabhu...rhomba cheep'ana films nadika araambichaar...but now agin his comeback in thaamirabarani , something something,billa he proved he is the son of a legend...imo he has become more matured now...no doubt he was always a great actor but i see him now acting more matured and with nore ease than his younger days<sans chandramuki>.. and he is still considered as the most lucky chap in tamil film industry....honestly i just love this person not bcos he is my sivaji ganeshan's son but for his very own acting skills and talent...i still believe he has more to offer so lets keep the thread alive....
i dono with wonderful posts from murali, gruocho and others, what i can contribute to this thread...still will come up with some latest upadates on our ilaya thilagam

Murali Srinivas
30th July 2008, 01:45 PM
Thanks Karthik and Karthik.

And Karthik (sa), just because we people are posting, you need not be hesitant or silent. Come out with your posts.

Raakesh, where are you?

Regards

rangan_08
30th July 2008, 02:13 PM
Y'day " Kozhi koovudhu " in Raj+. Quite an enjoyable movie & was infact a big break for Prabhu during the earlier days of his career.

karthik_sa2
30th July 2008, 02:33 PM
http://www.cinesouth.com/masala/hotnews/new/18012008-2.shtml

do we need this?? dono y they r spoiling classic movies by remaking it...its ok with a mass movie like billa but pudhiya paravai :?: :?:

sarna_blr
30th July 2008, 02:37 PM

do we need this?? dono y they r spoiling classic movies by remaking it...its ok with a mass movie like billa but pudhiya paravai :?: :?:

the news... rumour came on 18.01.2008..... endha kaalaththula irukkeenga sir :roll:

karthik_sa2
30th July 2008, 02:40 PM
Thanks Karthik and Karthik.

And Karthik (sa), just because we people are posting, you need not be hesitant or silent. Come out with your posts.

Raakesh, where are you?

Regards

yes sure!!! :)

karthik_sa2
30th July 2008, 02:47 PM
the news... rumour came on 18.01.2008..... endha kaalaththula irukkeenga sir

oh appadiya sorry......i was so desperate in posting some updates adhula date paakala...enna panradhu ppl like u r coming up with great posts..i probably would not be able to match it...so just thoght of giving in that link here...jus my 2 cents but in vein... :lol: but
even if it was a rumour it was not posted here before right ..nd recently in some prograamme i heard ppl talking about this remake.

anyways will come up latest updates

karthik_sa2
30th July 2008, 02:49 PM
did prabhu act in a hollywood movie?i think he acted in some movie called "elli my friend"not sure wheteher it was a hollywood movie???i posted this before also but there was no response...anybody knows

karthik_sa2
30th July 2008, 02:53 PM
arangetra velai for the first time fazil tried his hand at comedy.but unfortunatelu people dint accept it.all the actors wud have done a commendable job esspecially prabhu.my fav scene in that movie is the climax particularly in the scene where vk ramasamy says"avala nambinaen paru enna serupala adikanum enna serupala adikanum'the next second prabhu turns back and gives him a slap.then vk says"chuma vilayatuku sonnaen ippadi pai adi adichitayae"very enjoyable one.

P_R
30th July 2008, 04:06 PM
did prabhu act in a hollywood movie?i think he acted in some movie called "elli my friend"not sure wheteher it was a hollywood movie???i posted this before also but there was no response...anybody knows

Learnt from an earlier post by Mr.Murali that Eli My Friend was a film by Prabhu's cousin Dharan Mandrayar who is US based filmmaker. But the film is set in India. Here is the IMDB link (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0150456/) with info about the movie, I don't think Prabhu acted in it.

karthik_sa2
30th July 2008, 04:17 PM
Learnt from an earlier post by Mr.Murali that Eli My Friend was a film by Prabhu's cousin Dharan Mandrayar who is US based filmmaker. But the film is set in India. Here is the IMDB link with info about the movie, I don't think Prabhu acted in it.

:) thank you

saradhaa_sn
30th July 2008, 05:00 PM

'பில்லா' ரீமேக் வெளிவந்த சமயம், 'புதியபறவை' ரீமேக் பற்றிய ஒரு வதந்தி உலா வந்தது உண்மைதான். ஆனால் நல்லவேளையாக அது வதந்தி லெவல்லேயே நின்றுவிட்டது.

இதுபற்றி ராம்குமாரிடம் ப்ரெஸ் ரிப்போர்ட்டர்கள் கேட்டபோது, 'அந்தமாதிரி ஐடியா எதுவும் இல்லை' என்று உறுதிப்படுத்திவிட்டார். அத்துடன் அந்த வதந்தி அடங்கிவிட்டது.

saradhaa_sn
30th July 2008, 06:26 PM
சின்ன மாப்பிள்ளே
-------------------------
ஒரே நாயகன், இரண்டு வேடம் போட்டு போக்குக்காட்டும் கதை, நகைச்சுவை முலாம்பூசித் தரப்பட்டதால் மக்கள் மத்தியில் நன்றாக எடுபட்டது. இரட்டைவேடம் போட்டு தன்மாமனாரை ஏமாற்றும் நாயகனாக இளையதிலகம் பிரபு. மாமனாராக ராதாரவியும் அவரது இரண்டு பெண்களாக சுகன்யா மற்றும் சிவரஞ்சனி. படத்தை இயக்கியவர், நடிகர்திலகத்தின் நெருங்கிய நண்பர் 'தானாபதி பிள்ளை' எம்.ஆர்.சந்தானத்தின் மகன் சந்தான பாரதி.

இப்படத்தில் குறிப்பிடத்தக்க ரோலில் ராதாரவி நன்றாக செய்திருப்பார். அவருடைய அப்பா நடிகவேள் எம்.ஆர்.ராதா, பாவமன்னிப்பு படத்தில் செய்த ஆளவந்தார் ரோலை நகைச்சுவைபோர்த்தி தந்திருப்பார். கூடவே நகைச்சுவைக்கு விசுவும் இருக்கிறார். சிங்கப்பூர் மாப்பிள்ளைக்காக ஃபேக்டரி கட்ட நிலம் சர்வே பண்னும் இடத்தில் அவர் அடிக்கும் லூட்டி நல்ல சிரிப்பு. இரட்டைவேடம் போட்ட பிரபு மாட்டிக்கொள்ளும் இடத்தில் அவர் சமாளிக்கத் திணறுவது டாப்.

ஆனால், கிளைமாக்ஸில் ஒவ்வொருவராக ராதாரவியை விட்டு விலகிப்போவதைக்காட்டும் இடத்தில், கிளைமாக்ஸ் சீன் எடுப்பதற்கு முந்திய இரவு இயக்குனர் சந்தானபாரதி 'காதலிக்க நேரமில்லை' படம் பார்த்திருப்பது தெரிகிறது. அச்சு அசலான அப்பட்டமான காப்பி.

இளையராஜாவின் இசையில் "காதோரம் லோலாக்கு" பாடல் சூப்பர் ஹிட். 'சின்ன மாப்பிள்ளே' எல்லா சென்ட்ட்ர்களிலும் வெற்றிபெற்ற படம்.

selvakumar
30th July 2008, 06:55 PM
Prabu did an awesome job in Chinna Mappillai along with RAdhaRavi. RadhaRavi was extremely hilarious. The film is a pukka time pass movie. All other characters in the movie were just fillers. Only these two made it as an entertainer.

RadhaRavi's delivery of 'Maaappilllleeyyyy' is :lol:

Prabu's 'thiruttu muzhi' in important scenes :thumbsup:

rangan_08
1st August 2008, 02:24 PM
Another hit movie during the early 90's was " En Thangachi Padichava" (saw it in Bhuvaneswari theatre). It's another run-of-the-mill masala movie with lots of annan-thangachi sentiment, and was well received by the thaaikkulam.

First hals is full of comedy & sentiments and as usual in the second half, it is action packed. Don't actually remember the director, I think it is P. Vasu. ??? :roll:

karthik_sa2
1st August 2008, 03:15 PM
பில்லா' ரீமேக் வெளிவந்த சமயம், 'புதியபறவை' ரீமேக் பற்றிய ஒரு வதந்தி உலா வந்தது உண்மைதான். ஆனால் நல்லவேளையாக அது வதந்தி லெவல்லேயே நின்றுவிட்டது.

இதுபற்றி ராம்குமாரிடம் ப்ரெஸ் ரிப்போர்ட்டர்கள் கேட்டபோது, 'அந்தமாதிரி ஐடியா எதுவும் இல்லை' என்று உறுதிப்படுத்திவிட்டார். அத்துடன் அந்த வதந்தி அடங்கிவிட்டது

thnk God its not happening...i don think so anybody can do justice in remake of a sivaji ganeshan film esp his role no one can redo it or enhance it....so no point in the remake

groucho070
1st August 2008, 03:54 PM
[tscii:9e664c746d]

Raakesh, where are you?

Regards

Ulleyn Ayya!

Before I get to your list, a few words to the others.

Saradha mdm, thanks for the writeups. Chinna Mappilay has a special place in my heart. Trouble is my heart is not that special.

Anyway, apart from Prabhu, I was very impressed with Radha Ravi. He captured his dad's quirky sense of humour, without resorting to immitate MRR like he did many times, terribly.

Here, both vaarisu excels.

Karthik_sa2, welcome back to Prabhu's thread, and lets keep rocking this baby, and heck, make this thread a lively competition to NT's thread (tough, but can try). We have some excellent participants here, me excluded.

Murali-sar, apologies for late reply. Let me say this and listen to me repeating all the time in this forum:You are the man with the most powerful memory I had ever met. You enlighten me with these information and details. Brings me back to my childhood the dates.

Let me go through your own list.

I recall an emotional movie. Prabhu's role is that of NT's himself had he done it during his younger days. It was only of recent I found out (Through Top 40 NT song DVD) that Gangai Amaran did the music. Never underestimate that man. There is another emotional song in that movie, almost echoing Neeyum Nanumaa of Gauvaram.

9. Thalai Magan -25.02.1983

Completely unaware of this movie.

10. Soorapuli - 25.03.1983

Vague memory, but remember enjoying it. An actioner too, I believe.

11. Sandhippu -16.06.1983

This one has two NT's in it, so Prabhu's share was sort of minimised – pairing with NT does that a lot. Surprised to know it was a big hit.

12. Sumangali -12.08.1983
Haha, one of those films I recall disliking because of too much of “sentiment”. Well, I was a kid, and was under my dad's MGR-ised influence. Don't recall Prabhu's part.

13. Raagangal Maaruvathillai - 09.09.1983

Again inspired from Iruvar Ullam, this Prabhu - Ambika starrer had a very good performance from Prabu and lovely songs form Ilaiya Raja. An average grosser.

14. Soorakottai Singakutti - 16.06.1983.

Directed by Rama Narayanan? Must be his better days I think. I think this is the film best represented Prabhu and made many fans where I used to live. Good songs.

15.Mridanga Chakravarthi - 23.09.1983
Most will remember the climactic, bloody, face off between father and son. But there is more to it in this movie, and Prabhu really stands out, giving his father a run for his money. I recall a Q&A in a paper, on Prabhu's performance, and the answer being, “Pulikku piranthathu....”

16. Vellai Roja - 04.11.1983

Saw it again recently, and frankly I like Prabhu better than both NTs, though the over-the-top police NT was funny, and the restrained priest was an interesting contrast. But Prabhu's role had more angle to it, and he did well.

17. Muthu Engal Sothu - 09.12.1983

Totally unaware of this one.

[/tscii:9e664c746d]

Murali Srinivas
2nd August 2008, 01:55 PM
Raakesh,

Thanks for all your kind words. Will continue with the list.

Regards

saradhaa_sn
2nd August 2008, 03:09 PM
Saradha mdm, thanks for the writeups. Chinna Mappilay has a special place in my heart. Trouble is my heart is not that special.

Anyway, apart from Prabhu, I was very impressed with Radha Ravi.

நன்றி Raakesh
ராதாரவின் நடிப்பை நானும் மிகவும் ரசித்தேன். அவங்க அப்பா வின், பாவமன்னிப்பு, சபாஷ் மாப்பிளே படங்களின் ரோலை நினைவூட்டினார்.

I recall an emotional movie. Prabhu's role is that of NT's himself had he done it during his younger days. It was only of recent I found out (Through Top 40 NT song DVD) that Gangai Amaran did the music. Never underestimate that man. There is another emotional song in that movie, almost echoing Neeyum Nanumaa of Gauvaram.
நீங்கள் குறிப்பிட்டிருப்பது, நடிகர்திலகத்துக்கு டி.எம்.எஸ் பாடிய..

"தந்தை நான் இங்கே
நீதிதேவன்தான் எங்கே" என்ற பாடல்.

அப்படத்தில் பிரபுவின் ரோல் நன்றாக இருக்கும். தந்தையால் புறக்கணிக்கப்பட்டு, தந்தைக்கு எதிராக வில்லன் கூட்டத்துடன் செயல் படும் மகன்.

கங்கை அமரன் இசையில், பிரபு ராதிகா ஜோடிக்கு... "போலீஸ் நமக்கு காவல் இருக்கு" பாடல் அப்போது பாப்புலர்.

வாய்பேசமுடியாத மகள் மேனகாவின் திருமணத்தில் நடிகர்திலகம், கே.ஆர்.விஜயா பாடும் "பாசமலரே.. நெஞ்சில் விளைந்த வாசமலரே, மணமுடிக்கும் நாள் வந்ததோ" பாடலின் இரண்டாவது சரணம், நம் மனதில் சோகம் கொப்பளிக்கச்செய்யும்....

"நெற்றித்திலகமும் தாலியும் நிலைத்து வாழ்கவே
மெட்டித்திருமகள் வாசலை நலங்கள் சூழ்கவே
உண்மை உரைத்திட வாயில்லாத அழகுச்சிலையிவள்
கொண்ட பசியையும் கூறிடாத குழந்தை போன்றவள்
உன் வசத்தில் இந்த ஊமைக்குயில் - இவள்
இன்பதுன்பம் இனி உந்தன் கையில்
நீ காவல் நின்று காத்திடுக கண்போலவே பொன்போலவே
பாசமலரே, நெஞ்சில் விளைந்த வாச மலரே
குலமகளே நீ வாழ்கவே..."

(ஏனோ தெரியவில்லை, அமரன் நிழலிலேயே வளர்ந்த செடியாகிவிட்டார்).

sarna_blr
2nd August 2008, 06:47 PM
Prabhu Ganesan Sir, PLS STOP ACTING IN P.VASU movies :evil: :x :rant: :argh: :bangcomp: :banghead: :curse: :devil: :sigh2: :frightened: :angry2:

HBK
4th August 2008, 12:24 PM
Why? China Thambi & Chandramukhi were pretty much his biggest hits in his career.

sarna_blr
4th August 2008, 12:27 PM
Why? China Thambi & Chandramukhi were pretty much his biggest hits in his career.

may be... but Kathaanaayakkudu( kuselan) paarunga.... PRABHU is wasted and insulted..... nEththu mozhachcha kaalaangalukku kuduththa importance kooda PRABHU'vukku illa :oops2:

groucho070
4th August 2008, 01:41 PM
HBK,

Chinna Thambi benefited from Prabhu's acting and Ilayaraja (and the great Gounds), otherwise script is poor. CM owes it to...well Rajini, Vadiveloo, and the climax, but is not a strong movie, and Prabhu is second fiddle.

Sarna is right, Prabhu never benefitted, talent-wise, from P. Vasu. Vasu is a hack director, very inconsistent.

Murali Srinivas
8th August 2008, 10:14 AM
[tscii:93d655649c]Continuing with Prabhu’s Filmography -1984

18. Thiruppam – 14.01.1984

A movie remade from Hindi and directed by Billa Krishnamoorthy. One unique feature was both NT and Prabhu came as Police officers. Jai was the villain. Sujatha would be the ex-lover of NT married to Jai and Ambika was the Jodi for Prabhu. If my memory serves me right, MSV was the music director of this film produced by KRG. In the BO, it was a success and it celebrated 100 days.

19. Priyamudan Prabhu -14.01.1984

Not remembering much of this movie and a fleeting memory tells me it was Viji who acted opposite Prabhu. There was a serial in Savi weekly, by the same name during that period. Didn’t do well.

20. Pozhuthu Vidinjaachhu – 24.02.1984

Here Prabhu would come as a village bumpkin with Sulakshana as heroine and Sujatha (?) as the widowed mother. It was VC Guhanathan who did the movie, I think.

21. Tharaasu – 16.03.1984

Puratchidasan more famous for dubbed Tamil movies (from other languages) produced and directed this movie in which Prabhu played a double role. NT was there and KR Vijaya was the Jodi for him and Ambika for Prabhu.

22. Raja Veetu Kannukutty – 16.03.1984

This was directed by CVR and Viji was the heroine. This is one movie (after Kannodu Kann) that I missed out.

23. Nyaayam -14.04.1984

Directed by Billa Krishnamoorthy, this was a big hit. Though it was usual village big man, his daughter and the poor but brave hero story, this was received well by the people.

24. Sarithira Nayagan – 26-05.1984

A remake from Telugu NTR movie, which came out after he became the CM. Irony is NTR’s own production company Ramakrishna Studios produced this movie. NT, Prabhu, Saradha and Radha acted in this.

25. Kairaasikaaran – 01.06.1984

It was based on the novel Kaiyilla Bommai written by Raa.Ki. Rangarajan and serialized in Kumudam. SSK films produced this movie and Radha acted as the heroine. Prabhu would come out as a medical dropout and in a particular situation would start practicing as a Doctor. Ilaiya raja- Vairamuthu combo had turned out some beautiful numbers like Nilavondru Kanden en Jannalil, Kai Veesum Thaamarai. This was Prabhu’s 25th film.

1984 Filmography to be continued.

Will come back

Regards
[/tscii:93d655649c]

rangan_08
8th August 2008, 10:56 AM
Dear Murali sir,

I remember Gangai Amaren as MD for Kairasikkaran. Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

joe
8th August 2008, 11:24 AM
Dear Murali sir,

Kai veesum thaamarai is there in my VCD Ilayaraja Hits.

rangan_08
8th August 2008, 11:42 AM
Dear Murali sir,

Kai veesum thaamarai is there in my VCD Ilayaraja Hits.

Thanks Joe.

HBK
8th August 2008, 01:57 PM
yesterday i watched some old movie caLLed SanthiPPu.. gOOd lord, that was hoRRible. But atleast Prabhu was more tolerable than Sivaji.

joe
8th August 2008, 02:16 PM
yesterday i watched some old movie caLLed SanthiPPu.. gOOd lord, that was hoRRible. But atleast Prabhu was more tolerable than Sivaji.

Almost a remake of Trisoolam and it was a big hit at that time .

groucho070
8th August 2008, 02:28 PM

Almost a remake of Trisoolam and it was a big hit at that time .

Didn't occur to me, but yes, it had shades of Trisoolam. Being the third lead, Prabhu's role was cut down tremendously, they could have expanded the scope. But the success of this film is a big boon for Prabhu himself. Forget about NT, been there, done that and more, but Prabhu had enough jetpower to move on.

groucho070
8th August 2008, 02:37 PM
[tscii:5c84c91952]MMM 080808

Murali-sar, my gratitude. When I told you I wanted to start Prabhu's thread, you said you will support me. And you stuck to your word as always, picking your brain and spending time for this. Thank you sar. I shall go through your list and give my comments. Again, most I saw when I was a kid, and my memory is faaaaar off than yours. Here we go.

18. Thiruppam - 14.01.1984

I recall enjoying this movie. Compared to some of the trash that was coming out that time, this was tolerable - proof of its run I guess.

19. Priyamudan Prabhu -14.01.1984

Never watched this one.

20. Pozhuthu Vidinjaachhu - 24.02.1984

Nyet idea about this one.

21. Tharaasu - 16.03.1984

Annother NT/Prabhu combination. Definitely one of the lower quality ones out of these combination. I recall one of our relatives saying saying the film not fit to be put in a Tharasu.

22. Raja Veetu Kannukutty - 16.03.1984

Missed this one too.

23. Nyaayam -14.04.1984

Vague memory of this one. Maybe its because of the cliché plotline.

24. Sarithira Nayagan - 26-05.1984

Completely unaware of this. I believe they had a TV magazine with same name in tribute to MGR after his passing on.

25. Kairaasikaaran - 01.06.1984

One of my favourite early Prabhu films. It has good fun elements in it, and boosted by beautiful Ilayaraja songs. The Kai Veesum Thamarai is one of my favourite Ilayaraja songs all time.[/tscii:5c84c91952]

Murali Srinivas
11th August 2008, 11:00 AM
[tscii:f635da2e76]Continuing with Prabhu's 1984 Filmography

26. Simma Soppanam – 30.06.1984

A movie that would have turned out well had it been allowed to be handled independently by the writer-cum director Krishna (who later changed his name to Vijay Krishna Raj). Instead the producer S.S.Karuppasamy (SSK Films) intervened and the result was the film suffered. NT should have put his foot down but he being the good person did not interfere. Both NT and Prabhu came as Lawyers (NT, I remember would come as a lawyer practicing in Supreme Court). The cast included KR Vijaya, Saritha and Radha and after a long time KVM scored music for a NT movie [the song Pudavai Kattikondu Poovondru Aaduthu was a popular one]. Apart from Chinnansirusugal, the only Prabhu movie for which KVM scored music. It turned out to be an average grosser.

27. Ezhuthatha Sattangal - 15.08.1984

A multi- star cast movie that was remade from Malayalam. It had NT, Prabhu, Jai, Sri Vidya, Nambiar, Nalini and Sarathbabu. NT donned a Islamic character. It had music by Ilaiyaraja and K.Sankar directed the movie.

28. Iru Medhaigal – 14.09.1984

Another NT- Prabhu combo and this time it was from Muktha Films and Muktha Srinivasan directed it. Saritha and Radha were the female leads. Again failed to enthuse the audience.

29. Vamsa Vilakku – 23.10.1984

Again NT- Prabhu. Again remake and this time it was from Hindi Vidhataa starring Dilip Kumar, Sanjeev Kumar and Sanjay Dutt. The only difference was NT acted as the grand father of Prabhu. Cast included KR Vijaya and Radhika. Directed by Billa Krishnamoorthy, it was sort of an underworld don story dealing with revenge and inspired from Hollywood. Was a Deepavali release. But there were two other movies released for Deepavali (Nallavanukku Nallavan and Vaidehi Kaathirundhal) and they stole the limelight. Coupled with the fact Indira Gandhi’s assasscination and MGR’s illness happened during the release of this film also dampened the prospects.

30. Unga Veetu Pillai – 30.11.1984

This name alike (Enga Veetu Pillai) directed by CVR was inspired from a James Hadley chase novel. Hero meets with an accident and suffers an amnesia attack and his efforts to unravel the mystery behind the happenings formed the basis of the screenplay. The only film Poornima Jayaram acted opposite Prabhu. I remember Charuhassan was the Doctor who would treat Prabhu. Prabhu did a very good job without going overboard. A much sleeker screenplay and better marketing could have made the film run better. Getting released in the midst of one of the hottest election campaigns [1984 Parliament & Assembly] also did not help.

Regards

[/tscii:f635da2e76]

mr_karthik
11th August 2008, 06:42 PM
Murali sir,

thanks for your contineous posts about the filmography of Prabhu, in between your other schedules in other threads (esp. paadalkaL palavidham and NT thread).

we are compiling the list, with your valuable comments and informations.

Plum
12th August 2008, 05:54 PM
Wasnt priyamudan prabhu directed by a pandiarajan assistant? I remember vaguely attending a celebration in a hotel for the inaguration of this movie. Prabhu actually pinched my cheeks and said something like "chamarthu payyan" and signed an autograph for me. He was very, very gundu is all i can remember. My memories are mixed up seeing pandiarajan for some reason there. Maybe the kanni raasi connection.

saradhaa_sn
13th August 2008, 04:14 PM
'பாலைவன ரோஜாக்கள்'

பூம்புகார் ப்ரொடக்ஷன்ஸ் சார்பில் முரசொலி செல்வம் தயரித்த இப்படத்துக்கு திரைக்கதை வசனம் எழுதியவர் கலைஞர் மு.கருணாநிதி. அப்போது அவரது கட்சி எதிர்க்கட்சியாக இருந்ததால், ஆளும் அரசை (முதல்வர் எம்.ஜி.ஆர்) சாடும் வசனங்கள் மிகவும் சூடாக இருந்தன.

மலையாள மெகா ஸ்டார் மம்மூட்டி, மலையாள சூப்பர் ஸ்டார் மோகன்லால் இருவரும் இணைந்து நடித்த திரைப்படம் தமிழில் ரீமேக் செய்யப்பட்டது. மம்மூட்டி ரோலில் சத்யராஜும், மோகன்லால் ரோலில் பிரபுவும் நடித்தனர். மேலும் கலெக்டர் ரோலுக்குப் பொருத்தமாக லட்சுமி, நளினி, சிவச்சந்திரன், வினு சக்ரவர்த்தி, மலேசிய வாசுதேவன், மாதுரி உட்பட பலர் நடித்திருந்தனர்.

பிரபுவுக்கு முரட்டு நாயகன் வேஷம், முகத்தில் எப்போதும் முறைப்பு. சுதந்திரப் போராட்ட தியாகியின் மகனான இவருக்கு, அப்பா வருவோர் போவோரிடமெல்லாம் தன்னுடைய பொறுப்பில்லாத்தனம், முரட்டுத்தனம் பற்றி அங்கலாய்ப்பது கண்டு கோபம். (தியாகியாக எஸ்.ஏ.கண்ணன். இன்னும் கொஞ்சம் முதியவராக காட்டியிருக்கலாம்).

கலைஞர் கருணாநிதி, திரைப்பட உலகில் கொஞ்ச நாள் இடைவெளிவிட்டு மீண்டும் மீண்டும் அவதாரம் எடுப்பது வழக்கம். முதல் அவதாரத்தில் மந்திரிகுமாரி, பராசக்தி, மனோகரா உட்பட பல படங்கள். இரண்டாவது அவதாரம் எடுத்தது பூம்புகார் படத்தில். அந்த அவதாரத்தில் பூம்புகாரைத்தொடர்ந்து பூமாலை, மறக்க முடியுமா?, அவன் பித்தனா?... போன்ற படங்களைத்த்ந்தார். பின்னர் கொஞ்சம் இடைவெளிவிட்டு மூன்றாவது அவதாரத்தில் அவர் தந்தவை வண்டிக்காரன் மகன், ஆடுபாம்பே, நெஞ்சுக்கு நீதி, காலம் பதில் சொல்லும், குலக்கொழுந்து உள்ளிட்ட படங்கள். பின்னர் பாலைவன ரோஜாக்களில் அவர் எடுத்தது நான்காவது அவதாரம். அதில் பாலைவன ரோஜாக்கள், பாசப்பறவைகள், பாடாத தேனீக்கள், தென்றல் சுடும் உள்ளீட்ட பல படங்கள். இன்னும்கூட சோர்ந்துவிடவில்லை. கண்ணம்ம்மா, பாசக்கிளிகள், மண்ணின் மைந்தன், உளியின் ஓசை என்று கலக்கிக்கொண்டுதான் இருக்கிறார்.

1986 தீபாவளி நாளன்று வெளிவந்த 'பாலைவன ரோஜாக்கள்' படம் சென்னை சாந்தி அரங்கில் திரையிடப்பட்டது. இதில் ஒரு வேடிக்கை, அந்த தீபாவளியன்று சிவாஜி புரொடக்ஷன்ஸ் சொந்தப்படமான 'அறுவடை நாள்' பிரபு, மற்றும் ராம்குமார் நடித்து வெளியானது. அதுகூட சாந்தியில் வெளியாகவில்லை. அதே தீபாவளியன்று நடிகர்திலகம் நடித்து வெளியான 'லட்சுமி வந்தாச்சு' படமும் வேறு அரங்கிலேயே திரையிடப்பட்டது.

(எனக்கு தோன்றியவரையில், நடிகர்திலகத்துக்காக மலேசிய வாசுதேவன் பாடிய பல பாடல்களில் மிகச்சிறந்தது 'லட்சுமி வந்தாச்சு' படத்தில், புல்வெளியில் ஜமுக்காளம் விரித்து அதில் நடிகர்திலகம் தபேலா வாசித்துக்கொண்டே பாட, அதற்கு ஜெயசித்ராவும் ரேவதியும் பரத நாட்டியம் ஆடும் "சந்தன நிலவொளி தந்தனள் எனும்படி ஆடடி பூமகளே" என்ற பாடல்தான் (வார்த்தைகள் சரிதானா?). மற்றபடி 'பூங்காற்று திரும்புமா', 'தேவனின் கோயிலிலே' பாடல்களை யார் வேண்டுமானாலும் பாடிவிடலாம்).

'பாலைவன ரோஜாக்களின்' மாபெரும் வெற்றி பிரபு, சத்யராஜ், இயக்குனர் மணிவன்னன் ஆகியோரின் மார்க்கெட் ரேட்டை வெகுவாக உயர்த்தியது என்பது உண்மை.

Murali Srinivas
13th August 2008, 05:24 PM
saradhaa,

Good post about Paalaivana Rojakkal. You had brought out the relevant points. The original Malayalam fim was Vaartha and it was directed by I.V.Sasi. The dialogues were quite popular [ரயில் என்ஜினை திருடினவனை விட்டுட்டு கரித்துண்டை பொறுக்கனவன் மேலே நடவடிக்கை எடுக்கறீங்களே].

Raakesh is busy. Let him comment and we will proceed.

Regards

karthik_sa2
14th August 2008, 12:50 AM
saw kuselan today....prabhu is totally wasted in the movie.."ellarum thalli ponga thalli pongaya" idha thavira vera dialoque'ae illa...y is he accepting these kinda roles...vasu is one hell of a director :hammer:

raaja_rasigan
14th August 2008, 11:47 AM
saw kuselan today....prabhu is totally wasted in the movie.."ellarum thalli ponga thalli pongaya" idha thavira vera dialoque'ae illa...y is he accepting these kinda roles...vasu is one hell of a director :hammer:

Chandramuki nandri kadan

vasu is one hell of a director :hammer:

it is sad that once a successful director now running out of ideas.

I liked his film "velai kedachiduchu" (sathyaraj is the hero & sarathkumar as villain)

groucho070
18th August 2008, 01:57 PM
Murali-sar, again appreciation from all Prabhu fans. Here's my take on your 1984 filmography of Prabhu's

26.Simma Soppanam - 30.06.1984

I recall not at all liking this film. One of those horribly produced 80s flick that should be buried forever in our memories. It brings back bad taste in mouth. I guess you can't blame Prabhu who has to deal with bad scripts (still does, poor guy).

27.Ezhuthatha Sattangal - 15.08.1984
I keep missing this film. I see parts and portions of it, and I am only intrigued by NT's roke as a muslim. I have no clue on Prabhu's part. I saw DVD of this film, bundled with other films. Is it worth it, sar?

28.Iru Medhaigal - 14.09.1984

Again, another pairing that should not have happen. And I couldn't belive its from Muktha films, which done some quality NT flicks in the 70s (though later films were questionable quality-wise).

29.Vamsa Vilakku - 23.10.1984
More of unimpressive NT-Prabhu combo. At this juncture, most producers are unable to make a clean remake of the more impressive Hindi films and Prabhu again becomes a victim of uneven direction.

30. Unga Veetu Pillai - 30.11.1984

Don't remember this one.

Thanks Murali-sar, awaiting your next list. Once you are through with his filmography, then I hope to start on serious reviews of his better films that hopefully will find new audience.

groucho070
18th August 2008, 02:11 PM
'பாலைவன ரோஜாக்கள்'

'பாலைவன ரோஜாக்களின்' மாபெரும் வெற்றி பிரபு, சத்யராஜ், இயக்குனர் மணிவன்னன் ஆகியோரின் மார்க்கெட் ரேட்டை வெகுவாக உயர்த்தியது என்பது உண்மை.

Saradha-mdm, நன்றி. As you said, a good boost for Prabhu and Sathyaraj, the latter who just turned to play good guys. And not to forget the explosive finale. I will write the review for this film one day. Thanks again.

saradhaa_sn
20th August 2008, 02:31 PM
- deleted as per request -

(but message available in my blog)

rangan_08
20th August 2008, 03:01 PM
Urvasi will be running a " Mobile Sweet Stall " for her livelihood. When Prabhu happens to see the school children eating those un-hygienic sweets, he objects to it and warns Urvasi, and they quarrel with each other. And eventually, they bocome lovers as usual.

Is it the same film mam ??

Murali Srinivas
22nd August 2008, 03:20 PM
Thanks Raakesh. Will proceed with the filmography.

Regards

selvakumar
29th August 2008, 06:51 PM
கெளதம் மேனன் இயக்கும் இந்தப் படத்தில் முக்கிய வேடத்தில் நடிக்கிறார் பிரபு.

இன்னும் சில தினங்களில் அதிகாரப்பூர்வ அறிவிப்பு வரவுள்ளது.

http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/heroes/2008/08/29-ajith-to-shake-legs-with-sameera.html

selvakumar
5th September 2008, 07:25 PM
http://www.starajith.com/media_display.php?id=480

Murali Srinivas
14th October 2008, 02:55 PM
Sorry Raakesh for not updating this thread in time. You know! Will do it shortly. Meanwhile thought of listing out the movies Prabhu is currently doing/committed to do.

1. AVM's அயன்

2. AVM's அ ஆ இ ஈ

3. சிலம்பாட்டம்

4. கந்தசாமி

5. Manirathnam's movie (அசோகவனம்?)

Regards

groucho070
14th October 2008, 03:10 PM
Murali-sar, why apologise? No need. We are too engrossed with your postings in NTs and in the Padalgal Palavitham threads. How are you going to find time to post it here.

This thread is not going anywhere. So, we can wait...with gratitude to your previous postings here.

Thanks for the new list. I didn't know of his particiaption in Mani's film. Will be third time, wouldn't it?

P_R
14th October 2008, 03:33 PM
Yeah. After Agni Natchathram and Anjali.

Just watched Agni Natchathram - he is such a fluent performer :clap:

groucho070
15th October 2008, 08:22 AM
[tscii:60dfa801ff]Duet (1994)
Written & directed by K. Balachander
(Assited by Anandhu).
Starring: Prabhu, Ramesh Aravind, Meenakshi Sheshadri and introducing Prakash Raj.

The film was one of the most highly anticipated for the time, due to many reasons, chiefly association of K. Balachander, the then leading hero, Prabhu and of course, the new musical chartbreaker, A. R. Rahman.

Making films with already established hero is a rare thing for K.B 80s onwards, so it was with curiosity that we viewed this film. The result was not disappointing. The film has its flaws, but good performance and great music, and apt direction saved it.

Alas, I am told, it did only average business. As scriptwriter William Goldman said about success of films, “Nobody knows”.

By now most of you should know the story. It’s basically a love story. Two brothers in love with a girl. Also, its love among the brothers and, unknown to some of the lead, love of a stepmother.

Prabhu plays Guna, a saxophonist and music composer and writer, while Ramesh Aravind plays his brother, Siva, a singer, an ex-suicidal case and career whiner. Meenakshi Sheshadri, hot from Bollywood, plays the love subject here (is it me, or does she look a lot like Saroja Devi?).

Of course, the film also marks the debut of Prakash Raj. And it was quite a debut…a lasting impression, so much so, that Prakash Raj is now one of our finest character actors, and also a good producer (he named his film company after this film).

He plays Star Hero, an antithesis of Rajini perhaps. He is opposite of the image of Rajini as we know it, arrogant, crude, violent, possessive and is full of himself. And he too is in love with Meenakshi. They should have named this film, Everyone Loves Meenakshi.

And so the struggle goes….till the bloody ending. Yes, it involves death, unnecessary but it happens.

Let me go department by department.

Writing and direction:
Nothing new from one of the masters of multiple angled love. KB’s direction by now has become a bit pedestrian, and predictable. The shock and awe tactic of the 70s is gone, and is now replaced with simpler shots.

I recall an interview which KB said he was directly involved with the song sequences and fight sequences. Former was good, and the latter sucked.

I believe KB wanted this to be a masalaic feature, and I’d say it is in between the usual dramatic KB fare and typical masala flicks.

And he could have avoided the dreadful comedy track. It was horrid.

Music:

ARR rocks! The specialty in this film is the sax. He roped in Kadrith Gopalnath to do the solo sax…which sees a unique way of playing. The sax is made to sound like nathaswaram…interesting and very unique.

Also, I was told that there was a second sax player in this film. But it was Kadri who got the spotlight.

All the songs rock. My non-Tamizh speaking fiancé loves Kulichaan Kuttaalam. We all love En Kathale, a powerful ballad that even SPB now would think twice to sing (of course he can). Yes, who can forget the melodious Anjali. The fusion-istic Mettu Poodu

And the background score too. ARR is only two years in the industry (as film composer) and he was already composing like a senior. Look at him now…

Acting.

Everyone did a good job. Prakash Raj, of course, steals the show here and there.

But the heartbeat of the film is Prabhu.

Here, he displays his biggest strength as an actor: displaying vulnerability. There is always something about his performance that moves us. It is further emphasised here when his body size is made fun off. His character takes it easy, but there is pain in there.

And he is constantly thrown in moments where he cannot fight back…and we feel for him, when he is unable to speak for himself, unable to defend himself, and when he can only sulk in silence.

Here, he is a nice, gentle creature with fallibility. And when he falls, he falls hard. And Prabhu excels in showing innocence in jeopardy. Sure, there are some tough guy moments, when he indulges in physical fight with, or confronting Prakash Raj. Other than that, you feel his loneliness.

Watch his facial expression when he plays the sax for En Kathale. That is a lonely man in a house filled with gaiety. A lonely man easing his pain through music and entertainment to the public.

Great performance. Great actor. I don’t know what else to say.

Aside: Our very own Mohanram-sar plays Prabhu’s dad. May I, with all the arrogance of a film critic, say that his credibility in playing an elderly character was destroyed by the fact that he looked (and still do) damned young! End of aside.

The others did a competent job. Those who likes to use the label “overacting” should take a look at Ramesh Aravind here.

Overall:
Could have been greater, if not for the silly comedy, unnecessary fight sequence. Best to be remembered for excellent music and Prabhu.
[/tscii:60dfa801ff]

groucho070
15th October 2008, 08:24 AM
Note: This film was shown in Vellitirai yesterday. Joe, thanks for the info.

Raikkonen
15th October 2008, 12:53 PM
Watched the movie yesterday. tremendous performance by Prabhu uncle. Not that anyone else were bad, but Prabhu was just too good.

joe
15th October 2008, 02:50 PM
Nice writeup Groucho :clap:

rangan_08
15th October 2008, 02:59 PM
Good one groucho. Prabhu would have done a great job in Duet. Particularly in " En kadhale" song, he will be playing the sax and suddenly look at Meenakshi entering the hall. Immediately his eyes would brighten up and without stop playing the sax he will switch over to "Anjali" song. His facial expressions & eyes will speak volumes in this scene.

Murali Srinivas
15th October 2008, 10:55 PM
Rakesh,

Nice write up on Duet. Prabhu underplayed that role to perfection. What I wanted to quote, Mohan has already done. But still I would second him regarding that scene. One more scene that was so nicely done by Prabhu was the one when lights would go off and you can hear the water drops falling from the tap. With this backdrop Prabhu would recite a kavidhai laced with emotions (kudos to Vairamuthu also).

But the best compliment came from Kadhiri Gopalnath. He said that barring one or two fleeting seconds, Prabhu's handling of saxophone was near perfect. But Rakesh, as you always used to say, Prabhu's performance never got the due credit. People took it for granted that it is no great deal for Sikkal Shanmugasundaram's son to do it in a perfect manner.

Now coming to the let downs, as you had rightly pointed out the comedy and unnecessary fight sequence were the major ones. Worst still after the movie's release KB blamed Prabhu fans for insisting on including such heroics. I used to wonder (in fact still wondering) who were those fans who went to warren road to demand such scenes. Nice excuse for a man of his calibre who lifted the vaazhaipazha comedy from Karakaattakaran and made it as a cheque (instead of vazhaippazham) here.

Regarding songs what to say except that as an album and as a combination of Vairamuthu - Rahman, it is on top of my list. (On a lighter vein always used to enjoy Prabhu with his trademark கன்னக்குழி புன்னகை lip syncing நடிச்சா எங்கப்பன்).

One magazine while reviewing the movie said that in our Tamil culture, it is 101 that occupies a predominant position than 100 and likewise Duet, the 101st film of Prabhu would occupy a more prominent position in his career. How true!

Regards

P_R
15th October 2008, 11:39 PM
One scene which I love in the film is the one where he puts together the jumble

When his stepmother rearranges "வாசி வாசி" as the intended "சிவா சிவா", his reaction will be great. He will know that it is after all the more probable meaning. In a mix of embarassment and self-pity he will go into denial.

In another (following ?) scene in the terrace, the stepmother waxes eloquent about how he should be the bigger man (உன்னைப் பத்தி என்னவோ நினைச்சிருந்தேன்.... இவ்வளோதானா நீ ?). Then recounts her life's experience about the unparalleled joy in sacrifice. Prabhu will respond with "இதையே ஏன் நீங்க அவன் கிட்ட சொல்லக்கூடாது ?"

The delivery of that line is very impressive.This dialogue in particular is atypical of his character and he would have pulled it without sounding suddenly villanous or anything. He knows what he says is not possible. He knows Siva more than anyone else in the world.Yet he will display almost childlike petulance out of his love.

When he is recounting Yuvarani jilted him for being obese, you will see the anger : அவளை அடிச்சு பல்லை கிழட்டிருப்பேன் (or something like that...Sivaji also uses that expression in many films :-) )

I will compare it to Virumaandi's reactions when recounting his days to Angela. As he describes his face will show the various emotions pertinent to what he is describing. What is endearing about Prabhu's acting is that he is recounting a low-point in his life several years earlier when he has still not moved on considerably.
To quote a memorable line

Embarrassment is one of the most enduring of emotions, with a terrible needling rhythm. Grief heals; hate like love, fades over time; but when touched by memory old embarrassments throb like fresh wounds - Irene Dische (Sad strains of a Gay Waltz)

An excellent actor. Hope he gets to do more interesting roles in the coming years.

groucho070
16th October 2008, 07:38 AM
[tscii:5fc978e2f3]PR, thanks. I wanted to do a list of scenes to watch out, and yours and Murali sars were supposed to be in. But I wanted fellow hubbers input as well. Yes, those scenes are amazing example of his acting prowess. What went wrong towards the late 90s and 2000s, I don’t know. I guess as the quality of TFI itself deteroriated (my assessment), so did the quality of roles that came his way.

And that is a nice quote. Fits the situation you described. And yes, that “palla kazhutiduveen” is very NT.

Murali-sar,

Thanks. Of KB, I recall very well (appa-appa memory work pannum) an interview he did where he actually bragged about doing the action sequence himself. He said, normally he will leave it to the stunt master and someone else to shoot, if there is a fight scene, but this time he personally handled it. If he is not interested, he could have got someone to do it, right? As a director who understands market, I am sure that using Prabhu, he would have WANTED to include that scene to cater the market.

I am glad that you like the album, it is one of my favourite too…My brother, a ARR fan(atic) said that there was actually a second sax player used for the film. And yes, we NT fans relish that “Nadiccha enggappan” line. A wink from Vairamuthu to fellow NT fans.

Oh, another smashing scene: The “Vennilaavin Theeril” and Prabhu’s silent suffering. All patient elder brothers (like me) can relate to that sequence, that’s for sure.

Thanks to VCD/DVD, we have forward button, and we can enjoy this film without the silly comedy and

Oh well, lets see what else the cinema industry has to offer to Prabhu.
[/tscii:5fc978e2f3]