PDA

View Full Version : Kara Kozumbu recipe required - URGENT

sangee
4th January 2005, 08:47 PM
Hello all

Happy New Year to all.

I am new here. Can someone give me the recipe for kara kozumbu with brinjal urgently. I was trying to find it on Hemant Trivedi's page, but couldn't - seems like the website is up for develpement.

Thank you for responses.

Sangee

kittykat
4th January 2005, 10:14 PM
Hello,

The recipe below is a basic kaara kulambu. You can alter this recipe to your taste by adding brinjals or okra. Simply fry the brinjals or okra in oil for about 4 minutes until a little brown and then add it to the kulambu. Frying the veggies prior to adding to the kulambu makes it more tastier and the veggies will cook faster especially brinjals.

Ingredients:

Shallots - 1cup
garlic - 1/2 cup
Tomatoes - 4
Tamarind - Lemon size. soak in 2 cups of water and keep aside.
Chilli powder - 2tsp
Tumeric - 1/4tsp
Mustard, Urid dhal, Fenugreek seeds and Cumin - 1/4tsp of Each
Oil - 1/4 cup
Curry Leaves & Corrinader leaves for garnishing.

To Dry Grind:

Corriander Seeds - 2tsp
Black Pepper corns, Cumin, Channa Dhal, Urid Dhal - 1tsp of each
Fenugreek seeds - 1/2tsp.

Roughly cut the shallots and garlic into halves and quarters. Chop the tomatoes finely. In a hot frying pan or kadai add the ingredients to dry grind and toast them roughly on heat for few minutes until they turn slightly brown. Remove from fire and grind these into a fine powder. Strain the tamarind water and add salt, chilli powder and tumeric to it, mix well, set aside. Add oil to the pan when oil is hot add mustard seeds, urid dhal, cumin seeds ,fenugreek seeds and curry leaves, fry for a minute or so, now add the chopped shallots and garlic, let them fry in the oil until soft and slighly brown. Add the tomatoes and fry until the tomatoes are cooked. If you have any veggies like brinjals or okra you will add it at this stage. Add the tamarind mixture bring it to a boil, simmer and let it boil slowly until the gravy thickens. Finally add the ground ingredients and boil for another 3 minutes. Remove from heat and garnish with corriander leaves.

Try it and let me know how it went.

Regards,

Kitty

sangee
4th January 2005, 11:29 PM
Thank you very much for the quick response to my need of recipe.

sangee
5th January 2005, 11:14 PM
I tried out the recipe last night and it turned out superb. Thanks much.

kittykat
6th January 2005, 07:45 PM
Glad you liked it sangee :D