PDA

View Full Version : Chayote squash (Chow Chow) Recipes Please

Cindy
4th November 2004, 08:30 AM
I have seen this vegetable in my kaykkarar's vandi everyday...but dunno how to cook it... would anyone plz share some recipes?

Cindy
4th November 2004, 08:42 AM
It seems that this vegetable is rich in potassium, calcium, and dietary fibers... and hence is included in all high arthritic blood pressure patients' dietary charts...

Read somewhere that it can heal dry skin too. Ppl with kidney diseases..pls stay away from this....

All the searches on web could only get koottu or poriyal with this... do u guys make curry with it?

Pearl
22nd November 2004, 01:19 PM
Hi Cindy,
You could make chow chow & meat (Beef/Mutton) curry - it's very tasty - the koottu with bengal gram is quite tasty too; you could use chow chow & make Curd Curry; Chow Chow could be used in Sambar too - :lol:

Best regards,

Pearl

Cindy
22nd November 2004, 03:19 PM
Thank you so much Pearl...will try them surely...

Andal Balu
26th November 2004, 02:05 AM
You can make morkuzhambu with Chayote.
Cut the vegetable into small pieces. In a heavy bottom sauce pan, boil 1 cup of water and then add the vegetable pieces with a pinch of turmeric.
Use Innomix Chutney jar and grind 5 pieces of coconut, red chillies, 1 tsp jeera, 2 tsp coriander seeds, little bit of asafoetida, 4 tsp of pottukadalai (roasted chana dhal) , few curry leaves. Once all the ingredients are ground to a coarse paste, add tofu and grind again.
After the vegetable becomes soft and cooked, add the ground paste, add salt and let it come to a boil. Season it with mustard seeds, pinch of asafoetida and curry leaves. It is good with rice or dosa.

R
26th November 2004, 06:58 PM
You can make thuvayal with chow chow as well as with their skin too!!

saras
7th December 2004, 06:48 PM
Hi, you can use this in the place of white pumpkin and make avial, it is very good. You can make curry with mustard, jeera and red chillies, grated coconut like beans, cook this with moong dal and make dal sabji for poori or chapathi.

dev
8th December 2004, 11:16 AM
Hi Saras,

Can u pls post the recipe for the dhal sabji with chayote squash...& the othe curry U've mentioned...

kala chandra
10th December 2004, 07:51 AM
Cindy,

You can make kootu, sambar, poriyal with chow chow.

Chow chow kootu

Chow chow 1
moong dhall 1/4 cup
for masala
fry in little oil 1 tbls of ured dhall with 2 dry chilli, 3 pepper corn, small piece of asafotida, 2 tbls coconut, Grind it to a paste

Cut chow chow, First remove the skin and cut it in to small pieces.
cook moong dhall in water. When half cooked add in the chow chow and enough salt. when chow chow is cooked add the masala and stir for few min. Season it with mustard ured dal curry leaves.

Poriyal

chow chow 1
coconut 2 tbls
ured dhall 1 tsp
mustard 1/2 tsp
curry leaves little
salt to taste

Remove the skin and cut the chow chow in to small pieces. In a kadai pour little water and salt. Bring it to boil . Add the veg and cook. Water must be just enough. in another kadai with little oil add ured dhall mustard and red chilli fry. when its over addcoconut and fry a little and pour it on the veg. If you want you can add little powdered asafotida while seasoning.poriyal ready

kala chandra
15th December 2004, 06:23 AM
Hi
you can do moor kulambu also

kala

Cindy
21st December 2004, 09:31 AM
Thank you so much guys... i was missing out many things in my kaykkarar's vandi... now i started buying chow chow from him...

Thanks a billion.. I tried koottu and morkulambu...both were good..

shakthi
21st December 2004, 03:28 PM
what is chow chow ?! Never heard about it b4. I am from Malaysia

Thiru
22nd December 2004, 08:09 PM
you can Chow Chow Thol Thogaiyal using the skin.. Its pretty good.. Also, u can make Pal koottu with chow chow... The pal koottu was served in one of the weddings i attended and it was pretty good.. I dont know the recipe though.. :(

Thiru
22nd December 2004, 08:11 PM
what is chow chow ?! Never heard about it b4. I am from Malaysia

http://www.produceoasis.com/Items_folder/Vegetables/Chayote.html

Its better known as bangalore kathirikkai in some places.. Its green in color and tastes good... you can find it being served in many hotels in chennai bcos its pretty cheap..

RR
22nd December 2004, 09:04 PM
Its green in color and tastes good...

My mom makes 'chow chow sambar'. One of my favorite sambars, simply delicious especially when taken with 'urundai vaththal'. Don't try this sambar immly after cooking, let the vegetable settle down for 1-2 hours and then have it. (I also take it in the night.) The sambar will have a special taste.

kulsam
24th December 2004, 10:38 AM
the easiet and delicious recipe with chow-chow

take the kadai .heat oil.when hot add mustard .when mustard splutters add the chow-chow ,which is cubed .just saute them for one second.close the kadai let it get cooked in the oil.after 7 minutes take out the lid and add salt and turmeric powder.then close the lid for 2 minutes.then add chilli powder as per ur taste.saute till raw smell disappear.serve hot.

guy
28th December 2004, 03:16 PM
can u pst the receipe for tne chow chow mooru kuzhambu pls

tks

Kz
29th December 2004, 03:58 AM
Here is a recipe for podalangai paal kootu, so may be we can substitute podalangai with chow chow and make chowchow paal kootu.

http://www.recipesindian.com/south_indian_recipes/curries/Podalangai-Snakegaurd-Paal-Kootu.html

Kz

saras
6th January 2005, 07:02 PM
Hi, In places where you dont get white pumpkin, which is a mian ingredient for avial, chow chow is the best substitute! Also chow chow bajji is great! the slice has to be thin.