PDA

View Full Version : Jane Austen

Oldposts
2nd January 2005, 11:53 AM
Topic started by bookworm (@ 164.164.86.66) on Mon Sep 11 13:57:45 .

I was enthralled after reading Austen's Emma. It has such a great charm that I felt sorry for having read it at a stretch! Previously I had read her 'Pride and Prejudice' and similarly captivated by it. Your opinions?

Oldposts
Why is this thread no more active? I find very few posts on English literature nowadays??

Oldposts
Why is this thread no more active? I find very few posts on English literature nowadays??

Oldposts
Hi Bookworm,

I started with emma too. I loved it so much that I read all of Jane Austen's works immediately after. It has been many years now. Even though I do not remember specific incidents in the book, the warm glow and the wonderful feelings still remain. They definitely are in a class on their own.

What are you reading now?

Oldposts
IT IS NOT ONLY EMMA BUT EVEN THE OTHER NOVELS OF JANE AUSTEN THAT MAKE VERY ISDEAL ARM CHAIR READING. i THINK JANE HAS PROVIDED AMPLE REFERENCE TO OUR INDIAN MOVIE WRITERS

Oldposts
IT IS NOT ONLY EMMA BUT EVEN THE OTHER NOVELS OF JANE AUSTEN THAT MAKE VERY ISDEAL ARM CHAIR READING. i THINK JANE HAS PROVIDED AMPLE REFERENCE TO OUR INDIAN MOVIE WRITERS

Oldposts
hi guys,
sorry, i had to initiate another thread on the same subject, for this forum wouldn't allow me to post that message when I tried to paste it here. So, I tried a new thread, which was a failure too and at last I found that I had mentioned Charles DIKens which had the obscene word in it ! I removed the letter 'C' eventually and this process initiated the same discussion in a new title.

Oldposts
Thanga,

After Emma I read & re-read P&P. Right now I'm reading Northanger Abbey... The first part is highly interesting..Shall write the comments once I've finished with it..take care..

Oldposts
hi Bookworm

I actually studied P&P for my English Lit.
I can't think of a better hero and heroine in all the books I have read. It is such a contemporary novel and equally relevant to today's world don't you think.
I have read Emma and also S&S by the same author,but preferred P&P.It was in a class of its own

Oldposts
dear bookworm,
i am a fan of jane austen.....
there is no other love story as gracious and as subtle as pride and prejudice....
one cant forget elizabeth bennet and darcy....
by the bye is it true that the tamil film 'kandukondein....' is an adaptation of the novel sense and sensibility? if so how faithful was the adaptatin?

Oldposts
Thank you all for your views.

I had read Northanger Abbey a few months back. The first part was highly interesting. Jane Austen wrote then novel to mock at the then prevailing craze over Gothic fiction - of the type written by Scott. The typical Austen humor which finds the greatest expression in the subtle remarks of Elizabeth in P & P, runs at full vigour in this novel as well. The discussion between Henry Tilney and Catherine Morland(the heroine if the novel) reflect Jane at her best in the novel.

However, once the story reaches the point when Catherine Morland visits the Abbey, it loses its charm and continuity. Inexplicable events take place, as when the General throws her out of the house without any reason whatsoever. The story ends much too fast, almost as if the authoress lost interest in the middle, and wanted to finish it off quickly.

Overall, I'd rate it a work in quality quite below P & P and Emma. Please comment on my views.

Oldposts
Hi all,

I have been a fan of Jane Austen ever since my school days when I first read an abridged version of Pride & Prejudice, I read the complete version of it again and again...It's written with such a great taste of romance(love), marriage, life and a good sense of humour that the characters in the novel never die in your memory...Most of all, I like the conversations in the novel, especially the ones between Darcy & Elizabeth and Elizabeth & Jane...Equally good are the settings of the story and ofcourse one can't appreciate enough, the subtleness of the feelings of love that Darcy and Elizabeth develop for each other gradually (well, not exactly gradually but it seems so!)...I saw a movie version of P & P, it was good though not as good as the novel...I read Emma, it was also a masterpiece...I didn't read Sense and Sensibility, Northanger Abbey or any of her other novels! which is the best among them?

Oldposts
sorry emma is such a horrible book. i can't believe there are people who enjoy such dry topics and writing. get a life

Oldposts
I enjoy Jane Austen Novels, I thoroughly enjoyed the film Sense and Sensebility with Emma Thompson in it, Can someone please confirm if "'kandukondein" is a Tamil version,

Sindhu
Emma is also out in a movie, I thought the inclusion of many diff types of men and woman in the movie was excellent, You get the Emotional, levelheaded, the vain, the secretive and the talkative. Then you you see the diff types of men, the lovalble, the vain, the spineless, the jolly and the player. The diff classes and the way they work is upseting yet amusing, All these types of woman and men are present even in todays societies, and you realise with its tragedy's life is sometimes such a Comedy.

Oldposts
Yes, Pride and Prejudice is an old favourite of mine as well. BBC came out with the movie version starring Colin Forsythe(?) or Colin something,(it was fairly good) but I prefer the older version starring Laurence Olivier and Greer Garson... somehow. Ofcourse nothing compares with the actual reading of the novel and Jane Austen literally brings excitement and life in small town England...

Oldposts

Oldposts
Erm..hi everyone,
I'm not sure I'm in the right place at all, but I really really need to know..if..erm..well, do any of you know a Dr.Chatterjee and is there any possible way in which I can get in touch with the subject mentioned?
anyway, back on track, yes jane Austen does write pretty well, I also read P&P and loved it! It really captures your mind in this..sort of twisted road to love...like, darcy and miss bennet are such contradictory characters!! :o

Oldposts
CHARLES DIKENS

Oldposts
I love Sense and Sensibility and yes, K & K is a tamil version of it, though I prefer the original book.

Oldposts
Dear Bookworm,

I think that Jane Austen is one of the best writers in English Literature. What I admire about the book is the manner in which she chooses to analyze , and present, the intricacies of the characters of the people in such a small circle- it's just family and friends- and very ordinary happenings. Actually, when Charlotte Bronte read the book, she said that She didn;t like Jane Austen's prim and proper characters, who rode, in their chaises, to and from parties- she preferred the wildness of the moors and passion to 'cultivated gardens.' Who would really want to meet and live with Catherine Earnshaw in Wuthering Heights? Give me Elizabeth Bennet anyday!

Oldposts
I don't even know whether this forum is still that active...but Kandukondein Kandukondein was a tamil film made in 2000ish? It was an adaption of one of my favorite books "Sense and Sensability"...but I guess it's a bit twisted to fit in with Indian culture...

Oldposts
Bride and Prejudice(UK) was at best making mockery of such a great work as Pride and Prejudice. Its so sense-less, i wonder how Gurinder Chaddha can call it an "adaptation" of P&P. It lacks both spirit and plot of the actual work by Jane Austen.

Oldposts
You can find best here than others/

All other are wasting of time ttp://www.letsjoy.com

All other are wasting of time ttp://www.letsjoy.com

Oldposts
You can find best here than others/

All other are wasting of time http://www.letsjoy.com

All other are wasting of time http://www.letsjoy.com
<a name="last"></a>

shiv sagar
7th June 2006, 04:15 PM
no doubt, EMMA Is the mile stone of english literature, she was the victim of ownself. she try to live for other people. in the end she felt what she done. the novel is completed with few drawbacks.

Sinthiya
21st November 2006, 08:32 AM
Emma, Pride & Prejudice; and Sense & Sensibility are my favs of Jane Austen...

and no movies can compare to her book....:thumbusp:

sundararaj
2nd December 2006, 03:54 PM
Pride and Prejudice was my all time favourite.

Janar
24th April 2007, 05:11 PM
Hi! I just came by here, thinking of starting a Pride and Prejudice thread, bcos I m studying it in school and yay! There is already a discussion.

Just wanna ask you guys a question for a class debate: Do you think that Darcy is a sympathetic character?

Wibha
23rd May 2007, 06:58 AM
I'm still reading her emma.going good :D

smith1
26th July 2007, 07:21 PM
I came across Persuasion - a jane austen book, not well known, though.

An absolute classic.

Jane Austen is truly the greatest english writer.

Meera-ssg
10th January 2008, 06:19 PM
PERSUATION !

Try it, you may like it

harishkumar09
24th March 2008, 08:42 PM
undefinedJஅனெ ஆஉச்டினின் நவல்கல்லில் யெனக்கு மிகவும் பிடிதது Pரிடெ அன்ட் Pரெஜுடிcஎ தன்.