PDA

View Full Version : Any fans of kahlil gibran?

Oldposts
2nd January 2005, 11:53 AM
Topic started by narayani (cattitudes82@hotmail.com) (@ pix-fw.wan.aol.com) on Mon Sep 29 16:09:50 .

friends,
any fans of kahlil gibran, join me to share few great lines of kahlil...i would be very glad if anyone could spare sometime to talk about this great legend.anticipating!

Oldposts
even I am interested in his writings.

Oldposts
yea sure. even i want to share some greate lines of kahlil, and i even i would be glad if anyone could take time to speak of this great repository of culture without conflating his writing and influence with contingent historical factors. I think kahlil does well to translate sacred, heavenly archetypes into their earthly, profane manifestations. Of particular interest is whether Gibran considered life as but a dream, and whether the writings of Abdul Qadir Juliani played a formative role in his emergence as a writer on sprituality. How extensively is Gibran influenced by a Perso-Turkish cultural matrix for legitimization of his work? Does Gibran employ terms which are context specific and/or neutral, or are his conceptual categorizations problematic? Does Gibran, himself, problematize certain traditional definitions held with regard to the human condition? Does he resort to a bifurcation between the sacred and the profane, or does he rather resort to a relational mode of thought? Does he view revelational in geneneral, and in particular contexts, to be textually performative in an oral/aural nature, or rather in a humanly incorporated form? What is Gibran's perspective on pre-eternity? Could it be received as water that flows in a stream of mercy, down which creatures gently row? Is there a part of Gibran which things that everything is ridiculous? Perhaps that's the ironic thing with so many things....that we don't know because we don't know. Perhaps certain signs will make themselves known to us, whether through dreaming or waking. If we are fortunate, we may find clues in our 'winged migration' into the soul of Gibran from sources as diverse as anecdotes to compositions of poetry or music. With skillful doubt, which may ultimately be be approached through envelopment by unskillful doubt, we may hope to gain a vision of 'the real Gibran' from the many Gibrans that would seem to present themselves; from the charismatic figure for whom one would construct a dargah to the more speculative mystic or theosopher who could be imagined as residing with disciples in a khaniqa. Ultimately, we may find that our task will lead us to question and reformulate the orthodox/heterodox bifurcatino in Gibran studies. Perhaps it is praxis rather than doxa that plays a more dominant role in our lived tratidtion of Gibran studies. Thus, in itself, as well as in its pluriform implications, Gibrans work can be seen as 'revolutionary'. Thank you. And sorry for any undue problematization or inconvenience this may have caused. Bless you.

Oldposts
let me 'splain you...everything is so ridiculous these days! but don't stop...keep rowing...

Oldposts
Hi I like to tell you that in Malayalam (an indain language)there are translations of almost all works by Gibran. I think kerlites "felt" him more than others.

"How great is love
And how little am I"!!!!!!!!!!
For me these lines are forever.

I like feed backs.

Oldposts
huh
I think one of his great friend was Mikhail Naimy who wrote master peice the book of mirdad.

Oldposts
Book of mirdad?????? tell more please
cabinbee@yahoo.com

Oldposts
its still unbelievable to me that he wrote prophet in the age of 15 yrs.....talk to me of work master...poetry of the absolute.
his fables are so unfathomable.

Oldposts
I am interrested in his works could anyo fu suggest me some good books of his? I would be great for that. Thanks for taking trouble.
ravibb at indiatimes dotcom

Oldposts
A man's true wealth is the good he does in the world. Beauty is eternity gazing at itself in a mirror. But you are eternity and you are the mirror. --Kahlil Gibran

I just love his quoates. Look at the universal truth he gives through the above statments.

Oldposts
Sweet like sugar is Gibran. So was Herman Hesse. Wonder if under the sublime is a storm, a brewing madness, an obsession with death, a raging fever that consumes them in their tempestuous personal lives. I have read The Prophet and liked it. That he lost his sister and himself to tuberculosis and mother to cancer, father to drinking, and ill-health dogging him may have something to do with the billiance of his works which is all he would want us to remember him by. Dark searing truths smolder to precious diamonds. Truth is beauty, beauty truth and both god. Men like him are not born every day. So sad is we dont see them even if they are amidst us. He does open our eyes.

Oldposts
BOOK OF MIRDAD IS A FASCINATING STORY WITH A CAPACITY TO CHANGE THE WAY WE LIVE A MUST READ

Oldposts
i have read one.. THE PROPHET...
i liked it.. he carries on with ease life and religion the same way paulo coelho does. but, definitely i wud rate kahlil a step above the others.

Oldposts
Khalil Gibran i stopped reading
coz to my mind he was only feeding
sorrow and pessimism and a helpless feeling
He has captured in his works eternal sorrow
His philosophy i cannot borrow

Oldposts
i think every think is kidding

Oldposts
With a single smile a woman can veil her face

Oldposts
Friends,

I share a quote from Gibran:

"It were wiser to speak less of God, Whom we cannot understand, and more of each other, whom we may understand. Yet I would have you know that we are the breath and the fragrance of God. We are God, in leaf, in flower, and oftentimes in fruit."

I like his philosophy. If all of us can practise this, we will have more peace and happiness in this planet.

Oldposts
KAHLIL GIBRAN............
WHEN I HEAR YOUR NAME AND READ YOUR THE BROKEN WINGS............MY HEART TO BE BROKEN............

Oldposts
Well, he is a great writer. I have some questions:

1. What is the correct name: Khalil or Kahlil Gibran?

2. Has he ever changed his religion?

Thank you.

Hadinoto

Oldposts
I believe "The Prophet" to be one of Gibran's greatest works because he speaks from the heart of truth, love and understanding. Through patience, love and understanding we find wisdom. For me, this work is akin to a bible because he was really "in touch" with the "divine source" of all things. His beautiful quotes from "The Prophet" stay with me always, such as ..."A man and a woman should be like the strings of a harp, each one seperate, vibrating with its own sound, but together making music." Also, when the Prophet spoke on good and evil..."Of the good in you I can speak, but not the evil. For what is "evil" but "good" tortured by its own hunger and thirst? And when "good" hungers and thirsts, it will search in dark caves and drink even of dead waters." In these words we can find divine compassion, love and understanding for all human beings. If you only read "The Prophet" once, read it again and again because the words are love made visible.

Oldposts
K. Gibran and M. Naimy, towering poets of the 20th century, children of God, distinguished citizens of the Universe, those attracted to their writings and art, are indeed a very special group of people, blessed with love and eternal by spirit. Now that both have left planet earth, their impulse is still strong, and getting stronger. Keep on enjoying the fruit of their labour of love forever.

Oldposts
To:Hadinoto
Hi!I am Lulu.I want to try to answer your question.The true name of Gibran since he child is Jibran khalil jibran with Arabic.Because he is from Libanon and its language is Arabic.After his coming to Boston and his intimate with Boston people,they are can not and very difficult to spell and speak it.So,they changed his name from Jibran khalil jibran to Gibran kahlil gibran.

Oldposts
To:Hadinoto
Hi!I am Lulu.I want to try to answer your question.The true name of Gibran since he child is Jibran khalil jibran with Arabic.Because he is from Libanon and its language is Arabic.After his coming to Boston and his intimate with Boston people,they are can not and very difficult to spell and speak it.So,they changed his name from Jibran khalil jibran to Gibran kahlil gibran.

Oldposts
I dont have any words to utter the universal truth.but I can utter like this if you understand.
"Hazaroon saal Nargis apni benoori pay rotee hai,
Bari mushkil say hotay hein jahan mein Deedawar peida" (Iqbal)
Still no one has born like him..in whole he was born great...I think so ...and u?

Oldposts
"ask not what your country can do for you but rather ask what you can do for your country." originally quoted by Gibran and not by from an american womanizer pres.JFK!!!!

Oldposts
hope i could met Selma Karamy....see her beautiness..i m her secret admirer!!!

Oldposts
I invite all readers and lovers of Gibran to visit the website dedicated to the historical completion of his beloved Prophet trilogy. As Gibran predicted some years before his death, another man has finally completed the missing portion of this immortal classic.

Come and read for yourself the amazing story of this literary milestone.

www.jandj-publishing.com

THE PROPHET TRILOGY is currently available from
www.kahlil.org as a signed and numbered limited release.

I hope all lovers of Gibran find their way to this new edition. It will change your perception of what is possible when we pursue the highest truth!

Oldposts
Kahlil Gibrans Poetry was the advent of L4NZ,the greatest poet in the world.He is my prophet.

Oldposts
i am happy to read this msg for a legend writer.
no one can chelenge his ideas/poetry/and truthness.

mehdi

Oldposts
Desire if half of life and indifference is half of death - Khalil Gibran.

Oldposts
hi guyz n galz
i really admire khalil gibran broken wing but i have one question broken wing is it a really story of him or imaginery work? could anyone answer me pleasee i'm cracking my head with this question for long time..

Oldposts
Gibran himself called the Broken Wings "a spiritual biography". The character Selma Karameh is said to represent a lady Sultana Tabit, with whom he had an affair in Lebanon.
For me, it 'll always be The Prophet, or The Madman. What 's the difference anyway.

I also have a question. He talks about "the freedom of loneliness and the safety from being understood".
See
http://4umi.com/gibran/madman/1.htm >.
I do not understand. Isn't this disattachment dangerous?
<a name="last"></a>

rajasaranam
28th April 2005, 11:00 PM
I also have a question. He talks about "the freedom of loneliness and the safety from being understood".
I do not understand. Isn't this disattachment dangerous?

Dont you feel Even Attachment is Dangerous at times :)

shambhavi
5th January 2006, 09:13 PM
gibran is an amazing writer though some of his work may not be easily understood what he writes is very moving, i dont think that his writing is sad, his clarity and perspective are amazing, i really enjoyed the prophet

crazy
14th October 2006, 06:10 PM
The only work I read by Kahlil Gibran is "The Prophet" ................oh I also read the one with his love/friendly letter to an american, not sure :)