PDA

View Full Version : A.R.Rahman - The Live Life Concert

littlemaster1982
9th February 2008, 11:56 PM
Just came back from the concert. Too overhelmed to write anything coherent. Will be updating soon 8-)

rsubras
11th February 2008, 10:56 PM
A first hand account on ARR concert

http://sagittarian-ramya.blogspot.com/2008/02/live-life-arr-way.html

thineshan54321
12th February 2008, 04:26 AM
vote plz, we should get maduraikku and ponmagal 1st and 2nd. but first focus on maduraikku get it well ahead and then ponmagal. u can vote every hr. thx
http://www.ssmusic.tv/top10.php

R.Latha
12th February 2008, 09:04 AM
Cool breeze wafted across the open air theatre at YMCA grounds in Nandanam. Steady visitors poured in and waited patiently for the music wizard.

And he did not disappoint them at all.

At the Live Life concert organised by real estate firm Marg group on Saturday as a precursor to Swarnabhoomi project 'a new integrated township in the suburb' A R Rahman was at his one of the best elements.

Taking the cue from the revved up spirit of the music composer, playback singers Hariharan, Chitra, Chinmayi and top percussionists like drummer Sivamani and flautist Naveen have given their spontaneous renditions with the gathering lulled into an ecstatic mood.

A frantic Rahman fan has this to say: 'Till then, the only dream I had was just to get a glimpse of the man whose music enthralled me in total captivity. Today, my wish of seeing him in close quarters got fulfilled.'

Those who came expecting Rahman to tune some of his memorable best were pleasantly surprised on listening to some of the rare songs belted by popular singers with musical notes reaching high octaves on many occasions.

Guitar Prasanna began the concert with a classical treat to the people which eased their mind and ears for a splendid evening.

Performance of his own composition Peaceful took huge applause from the audience.

Property developer Marg CMD G R K Reddy at his inaugural address said Rahman was invited because 'whenever I feel distressed or uneasy, Rahman songs pumped me up and thats the only reason I invited Rahman for the launch.'

Starting with Dil Se Re, he went on to sing his first composition and hence favorite number from Roja. Stage dancers added glitz to the whole show by some breathtaking performance.

Finally, the grand evening came to an end with Vande Maatharam sung by the entire crew of playback singers.

Many in the audience sat till the last moment of the musical show, unwilling to leave the YMCA ground for having relished every song and musical number they were yearning for more such offering from Rahman and Co. But then all good things must come to an end.

MADDY
12th February 2008, 11:43 AM
starting the day with a bizzaire 25-minute drive from choolaimedu to Kottivakkam in Old mahabalipuram road to collect free pass, i was exhausted to say the least.......i didnt sleep the entire night, i was so excited to meet the man, who has been single point of recovery in my life........

as i got into the YMCA ground with Ramakrishna,Littlemaster, i knew it was a huge crowd.......YMCa ground, Nandanam, has pleasant memories for me, since, it was the ground where our school annual sports meet would occur......due to a pretty bizzaire entry system, we got front row seats :lol: ......it was just 30-40 foot within the stage.......i knew, i was going to see GOD today and that too clearly......just when we were immersed in ARR discussions, we saw young composer Dharan, sivi/Parijatham fame walking across us..........Ram and Master confirmed it was him, as i have never seen his face before.......after a while, we went and talked to him......congratulated him on sivi and parijatham........very nice,soft spoken boy hardly 23 yr old......i wished him to "try" to become next Rahman........Dharan for starters is a huge ARR fan, and he was asking where cud he get the ARR t-shirt i wore.....:clap:

after some mokkai compering, we got to see the guitar legends - G.Prasanna and Keith peters performing for some classical numbers and Prasanna's own "peaceful" and "31" :notworthy: ........it was sad that Prasanna couldnt join ARR on rythm later.....

then came the moment, we were waitng - ARR came out in jeans and kurta to talk a couple of words on the project that MARG has taken, who sponsored this show........it was still as if watching him on television and not the "live" experience.......then started the concert with jaage hain(guru)........ARRahman in his sharwani, was looking ravishing and it was then sinking that we were actually seeing the man live :shock: .......here i was seeing my idol, in flesh and blood for the first time in my life........the feeling was very overwhelming............then came one gem after another from Dil se, Jodha Akbar, ATM, Sivaji, Guru, Roja, Bombay, Sapnay - but i was more interested in watching the man in action, live........it was enuf for me to see the small diminitve image of the legend from a 30-40 foot distance.......it was bliss, heaven, stars on my balcony, - one helluva experience that i want to cherish all my life.......

2 hours into the concert, i was so sad that it was over.........while leaving, i got to see Blaaze at a short range, i shouted to him "u rock dude" :D ......while leaving i took a guess on the numbers - it shuld have been 10,000-15,000 - a great number given the event was known to the world only 2-3 days prior..........the crowd was full of "peter gumbal" and "north Indians" - engala vaazha veikkum deivangal :lol: .......it was a evening i will remember all my life, but i still nurture hopes of meeting him in close range one day and shake hands with him before i breathe my last ....

Kaduvalai kandavan naan, kaalaithhai vendravan raghuman

k_vanan
12th February 2008, 02:17 PM
Yesterday watched SPB's Ennodu Pattu Padungal prog. one female singer sung "Uyirum neeye from pavitra" spb said he not realise such song but immdiately said this song should win National award than the singer answer Unni Krishnan bagged award for this song. SPB said ARR is not only good Music Dir. but Human Being also...
:thumbsup:

another thing is point out that "sahana ragam is not actual pronounce instead of shehana the real word" ? :confused2:

Devar Magan
13th February 2008, 02:00 AM
.the crowd was full of "peter gumbal" and "north Indians" - engala vaazha veikkum deivangal :lol: ...

unmaya othukittathukku nandri..

Hindi-la antha punch line-a eluthi irunthaa innum nalla irukkum :P :x

ajithfederer
14th February 2008, 02:10 AM
:lol: DM :thumbsup:

MADDY
14th February 2008, 12:52 PM
.the crowd was full of "peter gumbal" and "north Indians" - engala vaazha veikkum deivangal :lol: ...

most ARR fans came there were North Indians - idhula enna prachhanai ungalakku??? ask ram or LM - 60-70% crowd was northies, others were namma local "peters" and then came guys like us......come on, i see "humans as humans" and not as north indians or south indians.......

u wanted a punchline in hindi - here it is - ask its meaning to ur frnds in pune:

mann se raavan jo nikaale, rahman uske mann mein hain

AF - unga kitta innum edhir paakuraen - not just emoticons :)

crajkumar_be
14th February 2008, 12:59 PM
ennadhu Saroja saaman nikalo-va? Sorry, couldn't resist! :)

On a serious note, moonu peru ponele, edhavadhu photo/vid post pannapdaadha?
Did Rahman sing any of his gems from the 90's (apart from Roja/Bombay etc)?

Wibha
14th February 2008, 01:11 PM

:D :clap: shudnt it be some thing else though :P

MADDY
14th February 2008, 01:19 PM
ennadhu Saroja saaman nikalo-va? Sorry, couldn't resist! :)

On a serious note, moonu peru ponele, edhavadhu photo/vid post pannapdaadha?
Did Rahman sing any of his gems from the 90's (apart from Roja/Bombay etc)?

i'm saary......they didnt allow camera or to take snaps/videos......no television coverage also......i have couple of vids, but they are too big to load now.......have some thirrutu vids from youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGBgVqZQhuM

also, Rahman in his usual unplugged with just singers and his piano : chithra sang "anjali anjali" with keith peters playing slowly in the back - pull-arichudichhupaa :wink:

ajithfederer
15th February 2008, 12:06 AM
Naanum unga kitte neraya ethirpaathein neenga ennadana event a pathi sollama, YMCA ground, ARR Tshirt, North indian peter gumbal, engalai vaala veikkum theivangal, nnu edhedho solreenga....

BTW LM and rama event coverage kaanome ?? :huh:

AF - unga kitta innum edhir paakuraen - not just emoticons :)

Devar Magan
15th February 2008, 12:06 AM

most ARR fans came there were North Indians - idhula enna prachhanai ungalakku??? ask ram or LM - 60-70% crowd was northies, others were namma local "peters" and then came guys like us......come on, i see "humans as humans" and not as north indians or south indians.......

u wanted a punchline in hindi - here it is - ask its meaning to ur frnds in pune:

AF - unga kitta innum edhir paakuraen - not just emoticons :) ippo thaan marathi's arivu vanthurukku.. hindi-la pesuravangala, inge adikkiraanga.. :lol:

littlemaster1982
15th February 2008, 12:23 AM
[tscii:354b477297]A detailed write-up by a blogger.

We reached the venue (YMCA Ground, Nandanam) at around 5:45 pm for the concert that was supposed to start at 7 pm. A queue, not that long, had already formed outside the entrance to the closed enclosure of the ground, doubled up as auditorium. But as more and more people started coming, the security folks asked people to form a queue outside another entrance. We ran to the other entrance and joined the queue, there with only a few people being in front of us. We could hear the sounds of the mike testing that was in progress at that time. It wasn’t until 6:15 pm that we were let in. The first few rows were reserved for the VIPs, then a large number of rows for the employees of Marg. We managed to get chairs in the second row after all the reserved rows. With all the sound checks getting over by 6:30 pm, the next one hour turned out to be a long wait with the excitement building up with each passing moment.

Finally at around 7:40 pm, Rakshanda Khan came on stage and announced that A.R.Rahman’s concert will start after a short concert by Guitar Prasanna! Guitar Prasanna, along with Haridwaramangalam A.K.Pazhanivel (Tavil), S.Karthick (Ghatam), B.S.Purushottaman (Khanjira), R.Raman (Morsing) and Keith Peters (Bass Guitar), performed Taaye tirupurasundari (raaga Suddha Saveri), Peaceful (a composition of Prasanna himself that happens to be my favourite as well), Alaipayuthey (raaga Kanada) and 31 (again Prasanna’s composition). Before playing Alaipayuthey, Prasanna said that on the occasion of Rahman’s concert, he felt it appropriate to play a Carnatic song popularized by Rahman. As usual, Prasanna’s concert was superb!

After Prasanna’s concert, Mr. Reddy, the chairman & MD of Marg group, and his wife lighted the kutthuviLakku. Then Mr. Reddy invited A.R.Rahman and one more person onto the stage! There was excitement everywhere and a huge round of applause followed when Rahman came on stage! They all spoke for a few minutes and then, a presentation on Marg’s project was shown twice while there was a wonderful display of fireworks on the sky.
After this, finally at around 8:40 pm, A.R.Rahman’s concert started and the next two hours that followed will be etched in my memory forever!

Blaaze first came on stage and said that this was a special show since this happens to be the first concert of Rahman’s in 2008. He also said that Hariharan, Chinmayee, Chitra, Benny, Ujjaynee, Neeti, Naresh Iyer and Aslam will be performing in the concert. The concert then started with Jaage Hain.

1. Jaage Hain - A.R.Rahman & Chitra
As Chitra’s sweet voice greeted us with the words ‘Jaage Hain’, our eyes were busy searching for Rahman and then he came and the crowd went mad! Listening to Rahman sing the song live was such an amazing experience! Open-air audi, cool breeze surprisingly blowing in Madras, Rahman singing Jaage Hain right in front of my eyes - if this is not bliss, then what else is?! My eyes refused to believe that it was really Rahman who was singing in front of me

2. Khalbhali - A.R.Rahman
As the soft Jaage Hain concluded, Khalbhali started with electrifying beats! Singing the two completely contrast songs back to back with perfection, Rahman seemed to be in top form! When Rahman sang ‘Ziddi ziddi’, the crowd went mad and the way he concluded the song with ziddi ziddi was superb! Naveen played some awesome flute interludes in the song and those were just the beginning of the many more wonderful flute interludes to come in the concert.

3. Kadhal Rojave - Chinmayee & Hariharan
I first couldn’t guess from the voice that it was Chinmayee who was humming. Hariharan’s voice along with Naveen’s flute, that was making an appearance throughout the song here and there, made the whole song all the more wonderful!

4. Barso Re – Neeti
Naveen’s flute was so beautiful for this song that it made me wish that Neeti would stop singing and Naveen alone could play! Anyway Neeti’s singing didn’t appeal to me much.

5. Lose Control (Be a Rebel) - Naresh Iyer & Blaaze
Super beats, Blaaze’ Rap and Naresh’s Apni to paathshaala!

6. Marilyn Monroe - Ujjaynee & Benny
This song has not been among my favourite songs of Rahman’s. But after watching Ujjaynee & Benny sing with so much energy levels, Ujjaynee going ooh oooh ooh, saturday night partykku pogalaam variya, all of a sudden this song has become my favourite!

7. Roobaroo - Naresh Iyer & A.R.Rahman

8. Dil Se Re - A.R.Rahman
Rahman’s voice and some wonderful flute interludes that you won’t find in the original recording! He didn’t sing the second para of the song Wish he had sung it fully.

9. Jash E Bahaara – Aslam
Aslam didn’t sing it well. There was a lapse in shruti in some places. Again Naveen’s flute for this song was superb! In the end, Naveen alone played the song for a few seconds - Wow! Wished they had played the instrumental version alone.

10. Maduraikku - Chinmayee & Benny
When the chorus started ‘Karpoora’, Rahman with a smile on his face was shown on close-up on the screens. In the midst of the song, Rahman sat down for sometime. It was great seeing the man who makes all of us tap our feet to his music, sitting and tapping his feet to his own music. Chinmayee and Benny sang the song so well! I know I am repeating the same thing for almost each song but this song too had some wonderful flute interludes!

11. Azeem-O-Shaan (Marhabha) + Rukkumani + Veerapandi (medley?) - A.R.Rahman & Chorus
So many percussionists playing their drums (or whatever the percussion instruments were) rhythmically, grand beats and A.R.Rahman and a group of singers singing Azeem-O-Shaan was amazing! The transition from Marhabha to the Oh Oh Oh part of Rukkumani (Naveen too playing it along) to Veerapandi Koattayile (just the first few lines were sung) was simply mind-blowing!
Rakshanda Khan came back on stage and introduced the chorus singers - Tanvi, Rehana, Ishrath, Sayanora, Benny Dayal, Dr.Narayanan - and the instrumentalists - Kalyan - violin, Naveen Kumar- flute, Sekhar - Cello, Sivakumar, Ravishankar, Ketan - Keyboard, Keith Peters - Bass Guitar, Thomas - Trumpet, Babu - Trombone, Pat, Jeff, Tirupati Raja, Kumar - Drums, Sivamani, Srinivasa Murthy. (I forgot many of the names. If you remember, please do let me know)

12. Tamizha Tamizha - Hariharan & Chorus
Was superb!

What followed next was the unplugged session with the singers singing along with just A.R.Rahman’s piano alone. As Hariharan, Chitra and Chinmayee sat before A.R.Rahman, A.R.Rahman asked Hariharan if he remembered that Tamizha Tamizha was the first song that he had recorded with him. He said the song that says ‘Tomorrow will be better’ and today (now) is that tomorrow and he asked Hariharan isn’t it better now. Hariharan also said that that song proved to be lucky to him. That was one nice moment of the concert

While there was some technical problem with Rahman’s keyboard, Hariharan asked the audience to repeat whatever he sang and kept us occupied while the technical problem was resolved.

13. Uyire (unplugged) - Hariharan & Chitra

14. Anjali (unplugged) - Chitra

15. Sahana (unplugged) - Chinmayee

It was a real treat to hear the singers sing along with just Rahman’s piano. Naveen too played the flute once in a while.

16. Vennilave - Hariharan & Chinmayee

17. Mayya Mayya – Neeti
It was excellent! The beats and the music got the atmosphere electrified. Neeti and Aslam, who sang the Walida part in the song, sang it so well.

18. KaNNaaLane – Chitra
It has been a long time since I listened to this song. I absolutely enjoyed listening to it live yesterday. This is the song for which Rahman sang swaras for the first time. After that he has sung swaras in many more songs. But this one has always been one of my favourites. It was nice hearing Rahman sing it yesterday.

19. Tere Bina - A.R.Rahman & Chinmayee
I was thinking about Rahman’s swaras while listening to kaNNalane and Tere Bina was one of the songs that came to my mind. When the very next song that was sung turned out to be Tere Bina, I felt so happy. The last para of this song too was not performed. Rahman missed the starting of the para Na jaa chaakri in the song and since he just hummed the whole para without singing the words, I guess he forgot the lines after that.

20. The Boss (Sivaji) - Naresh Iyer, Blaaze and Benny

21. Vaaji Vaaji - Hariharan & Chinmayee
This too had nice flute interludes. Hariharan was brilliant. I felt Chinmayee was trying to sound like Madhushree.

22. Athiradee - A.R.Rahman & Tanvi

Wow!
It was at this point of time that Rahman asked the audience if they were sleeping and he asked if they wanted more. And what followed next was a short Rap by Blaaze followed by Humma Humma!

23. Andha Arabic/Humma Humma - A.R.Rahman
Again Rahman! I couldn’t believe it!

I have often wondered how much Rahman has grown as a singer since Andha Arabic. From Jaage Hain to Athiradee to Tere Bina to Dil Se - each being a song of a different kind and seeing/hearing Rahman sing it with perfection was amazing! I couldn’t have asked for more.

24. Maa Tujhe Salaam/thaai maNNe vaNakkam - A.R.Rahman
What a great finale it was to an excellent concert! Didn’t I tell in the beginning itself that there were too many wonderful flute interludes throughout the concert? This song too had lots of beautiful flute interludes!

24 songs in 2 hrs! Not a single minute was wasted in between and it was 2 hours of non-stop A.R.Rahman’s music. We are so happy that we got to attend an excellent concert of Rahman’s! We still can’t believe that our dream of seeing A.R.Rahman perform live has indeed come true! I should really say a big thanks to Marg Group for giving away free passes to A.R.Rahman’s concert.

http://aparna-a.com/2008/02/10/arrahmans-the-live-life-concert-when-dream-came-true/[/tscii:354b477297]

MADDY
15th February 2008, 11:02 AM
Naanum unga kitte neraya ethirpaathein neenga ennadana event a pathi sollama, YMCA ground, ARR Tshirt, North indian peter gumbal, engalai vaala veikkum theivangal, nnu edhedho solreenga....

for me, watching the man live was more than enuf...........which is y u wont find much written abt the songs......also, ARR's popularity is largely due to the 2 groups that i mentioned - no harm in thanking them

ram, do u remember , when we were leaving the ground, one northie girl was so excited abt seeing ARR in action.....she was wondering aloud "i still dont believe i saw his face" and worst part she was driving :lol: .......i was scared she will park her bike under the truck aka Maddy in Minnale :lol:

yvsmani
15th February 2008, 01:27 PM
I attended the live concert by ARR held in Delhi in November with maximum no. of Hindi songs. It was too good to be there.

Ramakrishna
15th February 2008, 06:10 PM
ram, do u remember , when we were leaving the ground, one northie girl was so excited abt seeing ARR in action.....she was wondering aloud "i still dont believe i saw his face" and worst part she was driving :lol: .......i was scared she will park her bike under the truck aka Maddy in Minnale :lol:

:lol: yaa.. but she was not a northie. She was Pugalnthufying ARR and the concert in Tamil only.

muzammil_fr
15th February 2008, 07:39 PM
Download A.R.Rahman Live Life Concert in Chennai Video Here
http://www.uyirvani.com/forums/ARRahmanand39s-Live-Life-Concert-in-Chennai-t19633.html

Just Enjoy Guys, Me to go to watch, who don't chance for watch, just watch and enjoy.